Speaker 1: I'm a homegirl that knows a little bit about everything and everybody.
Speaker 2: You don't know if you don't lie about that.
Speaker 1: Right, All right, y'all, we're gonna get back into part two.
Speaker 3: I'm Laura the Rosa.
Speaker 1: This is the Latest with Laura Rosa, which is your daily dig on all things pop culture, entertainment, news, and all of the conversations that shake the room. We've been having a conversation with creator, storyteller, actor, director and writer Marcus Callender. He played Oliver Power Grant or you may remember him if you've watched Ghost Power Book two. He played real Ray. Y'all, remember we lost Raina, Baby Raina because of ray Y. Now tap in as we get into the final part of our conversation about how he.
Speaker 3: Stuck it out good, bad, ugly.
Speaker 1: They say the power actors don't get more jobs, but he stuck it out and now he is bringing Spades to play to life on stage here in New York, and you guys get an exclusive listen of what the inspiration was. So talk to us about why Spades, Like, I know you said you walked into a place one time in LA and people were playing space check. I gotta get back to it, but originally like why write a play about space? Like why is that? This is like your passion project? And also tell us about us, you know, briefly, what what is the story? What is the log line of the play?
Speaker 4: Okay, before I tell you that, here's another thing too for people to know. When I was putting that reading together last year, my agent drop.
Speaker 2: That, also, how does it? So?
Speaker 3: What happened when you say they robbed you?
Speaker 2: Like? How?
Speaker 1: Because I'll be watching my money like I mean, but I'm also I mean, I'm not a regular series on a network show or a streaming platform show, so my checks maybe not like yours, but I be no, I'm in all of it, Like, yo, what's up?
Speaker 4: So while I'm while I was getting ready to put this reading together, I woke up from a nap and my agent calls me. I'm thinking I booked something, because that's the only time they call you. She's like, yeah, you know, Unfortunately, we're gonna have to let you go because due to the writers strike, a lot of things were cut Agired.
Speaker 2: Agents are being fired there.
Speaker 4: You know, the rosters are getting smaller, and I was with a big agency, so I knew it was going to happen.
Speaker 2: I was like, if I don't book something.
Speaker 4: They probably gonna drop me, which is really fucked up because I just did three seasons of a show where.
Speaker 2: Y'all getting that money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, y'all so quick to drive me, you know, because I'm not working off of a writer strike.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 4: But at the same time, I didn't even I didn't even react crazy. I didn't ask questions. I just said, okay, cool, because I knew it was all a part of the plan, all a part of Guy's plan. Because I knew that that had to be cleared away in order for me to really dive in because now I don't have an agent. Now I don't have any reps, so I'm not auditioning for anything. So I have no choice but to focus.
Speaker 3: On this, right.
Speaker 4: So it was it was a blessing in disguise, you know what I mean. But it was also my first time not having reps.
Speaker 3: Well, you said they robbed you?
Speaker 2: What, like what the no?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: No? No?
Speaker 2: The drop?
Speaker 3: Oh dropped You said they rob no no? What did they take? Like, we're with them? Okay, they dropped you?
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean yes, but I also feel like too, and this is just like twenty twenty five, Lauren speaking, I feel like unless your agent is like moving mountains for you, you can kind of low key figured the shit out with a good manager, G lawyer honestly just good lawyer, a manager if they really whit you with you. But I don't think you need like that's where I'm at right now too, us like talent that is.
Speaker 3: Learning to build a team.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I don't need all these people, all these noises and all these decisions and blah blah blahlah like splits. No, Like I just need one to two good people. That's like, yo, we out where we gotta be, what we gotta do. Like so it was a blessing in disguise, and I think the world and the industry changed. Where agent, you know, for you as a playwriter and creator and also talent would be amazing. We want to speak that into existence, but you could do.
Speaker 4: It without exactly but because I think what it not, I think I know what it allowed me to do was like really tap into all of these talents that I have because I don't consider myself just an actor. When people ask me what I do, I tell I'm a storyteller. Whether that's acting, directing.
Speaker 2: And writing, you know. So it allowed me to like really dive into that and really own.
Speaker 4: It, you know what I mean, Because for a long time it was like yeah, right, but you know, but now I'm owning it, you know what I'm saying. No, I'm a playwright, I'm a writer, I'm a director, I'm a producer, and I'm an actor. I do all of these things and I think I do it pretty well. So it's like a multi a multi hyphen it as they call it.
Speaker 2: So it gave me.
Speaker 4: All this time to dive in, and I fucking I committed to it, you know what I mean. I put all my money into it because I know, you know, for me, I'm like sitting on this story because it's bigger than the play. So let's get into that.
Speaker 2: Yes, So what inspired me to write this play.
Speaker 4: I was learning how to play Space at the time with some friends and what I thought was interesting was I was like, Yo, I feel like watching the game is more interesting than the game because.
Speaker 2: It's just so much drama. It's all this other shit. I said, Yo, this would be a dope.
Speaker 1: Play in anybody house and anybody you know what's crazy? I was before I left TMZ. We were piloting a podcast for me, and now Nick Cannon has me playing spades. But I said to them, I'm like, we should do it, like let's just sit down and play space with people. Yeah, I mean, of course they didn't really understand it. And my co host shout out to Tawanna. She's still there at TMZ. She don't know how to play spades. I don't think she got to beat because she's never been at the spades table. But so when I the name of your play grabbed me. But also when I saw Nick Cannon doing we playing spades to sit down in conversation, I'm like, this is like Genians for any black person to live off of or thrive off off, because it is entertaining just watching and hearing.
Speaker 4: The game exactly. So I'm like, Yo, this will make a dope play. And I knew that, you know, I was at the time. I was starting to dab in writing and stuff like that. So I was like, yo, let me start writing this. And as I said, it just kind of poured out of me. The characters, because all of the characters in the player are based off of people that I know.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about the story, So give us the It's very simple.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's about a group of friends that get together on a Friday night in Harlem to play some spades. But on this particular Friday, things go a little left, as they typically go in a space game. You got the liquor flowing, you got the we going, Things kind of go a little left. The main character, we got Gil Who's house. They're at Corey and Andre. These are the core. This is the core friend group. But then Gil invites a new friend to come play who can't play, and she kind of stirs the pot a little bit.
Speaker 3: The girl is the girl.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the first time I came to see the play in Dumbo House, I thought that she was Gael Bean it was Gil.
Speaker 3: Oh, so it was Gail. Gil was okay, all right?
Speaker 1: Because then when I came in Harlem, I'm like, wait, that wasn't Gail.
Speaker 3: Am I tripping? But because they look they resemble each other.
Speaker 1: Actually, okay, so thanks for answering that for me, because I thought I was tripping. I'm like, yo, I had just interviewed Gail for BT Talks, and I'm like, I know Gail.
Speaker 3: I've been watching her. And then I come and I'm like.
Speaker 2: You tribab Me interviewed her while she was in rehearsal I.
Speaker 1: Did, which was so crazy. Yeah, which was so crazy because I didn't I didn't know.
Speaker 3: I came to the.
Speaker 1: Play because Taylor shout out to Taylor made it, who is our one of the producers here on the podcast for the latest with Long the Roads, which is how we met. She just was like, Yo, my friend has this play? Come with me? And then and I told her yes because I love plays. And then I didn't make it to that. She was like still just go, like just pull up and I was like, okay, cool. So I came and when I got there and I saw Gail, I was like, oh shoot. But then when I came to the second time, I'm like, did I not seek.
Speaker 2: No. Yeah, Gail is doing a play right now in LA.
Speaker 4: But I had her for that reading, which was which was great because she came in last minute.
Speaker 2: She came in last minute out.
Speaker 3: She was reading from the script.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, so that was another stage reading. And that's another thing too. I'm realizing through this process, like there's a lot of like theater things that some people don't know about, especially in our communities particularly, And you know, that's kind of a part of why I'm doing what I'm doing, because I feel like theater is becoming a lost art form in our community particularly. I feel like everybody wants to be on TV, everybody wants you know, the social media stuff. But it's like, yo, let's take it back to the stage. Let's take it back to the purest form, you know what I mean. Like, for me, all my favorite actors coming up a theater act.
Speaker 1: And I think people too don't understand that, like stage live anything, theater plays, that's where you get instinct from.
Speaker 4: That's where you get your instant That's where you learn how to act on stage. But not only is it getting lost in our community, but I think a part of that has to do with the material that's being produced.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I feel like not enough of us are being inspired to say, like, hey, I'm gonna write a play.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Everyone's like, yeah, you know, I wrote this movie, I wrote the screenplay, but very rarely are you here, No, I wrote this play, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And to me, you know, I'm gonna be real.
Speaker 4: I feel like a lot of plays right now I'm going to the theater. Everything fucking sucks. I'm like falling asleep, you.
Speaker 2: Know what i mean.
Speaker 4: I'm sitting here for two hours and what you know what I mean? I want to I want to have an experience, you know what I mean. That's the whole point of theater. That was what made it different going to go see a play as supposed to going to see a movie, because you knew you were gonna get.
Speaker 3: An experience in experience, remember when people.
Speaker 4: Were excited to see the actor spit on stage, like yo, Like I could see the actors spit and like yo, they they really in it, you know what I'm saying. So for me, I was like, yo, I want to I want to bring that essence back. So that's a part of what I'm doing with the play. I mean, you were there, like the audience is right there, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Because our actors played to the audience too, like when they're toast when they chairs which, to be honest with you, if you are at a family get together and space is going down and they get a little crazy, everybody joining in, everybody they talking about the renigga and they talking about that. You know what I'm saying, so it felt like that like family get together environment, which was.
Speaker 3: Great question for you.
Speaker 1: So you say every character in the play reminds you of someone or based off of someone that you know.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I thought it was interesting because Spain is very synonymous almost.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know if white people the white people play Spades. Sophie.
Speaker 2: I've met one white person.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what space is, Okay, I've never I just thought about this right now and forming this question.
Speaker 3: I've never even heard the white person even talk about space. Never heard of space in your life? Okay.
Speaker 1: She just left at Landa Okay, Okay, yes, so it's oh girl, dang, we gotta bring Sophie to the play.
Speaker 3: It would freak her out. Okay.
Speaker 1: So okay, So Spades is it's it's a black thing. The lead character Guild that you talked about is a gay man in the play. I thought that that was as a creator and a person that writes. I was like, I don't know, because I didn't make it to the end of the play. I was like, I don't know if he did this on purpose, but that instantly drew me in because I was wondering what role or what conversations do you want people to leave the play having becau because our community sometimes shies away from anybody in any type of community that sexuality wise, they don't accept. So a gay male as the lead of the play, he's very openly gay the first not to get the story away, but he's dibbling and dabbling into you know, the DL conversation right off writ off the rint and I'm okay, I didn't get to that part.
Speaker 2: Oh yea yea yea yeah, yeah, yeah, yah yaha.
Speaker 3: Oh okay. So but see even with that, I did see that part.
Speaker 1: I didn't think that because so in the play basically, for those who didn't hear the off came off camera voice in the play, there's a point where he's talking about his homegirl's mom.
Speaker 3: But my gay guy friends will compliment you.
Speaker 2: Up and down.
Speaker 1: They don't want you though, but they the gay men are you know they're not. There's so much personality and characteristic there that those compliments. In the way he was talking about her mother, I just thought it was her homeboy just complimenting her mom because she's fine.
Speaker 4: I mean, the nuance of that character is that like, yes he is gay, but like he doesn't consider himself that to him, he just likes what he likes, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It just happens to be men all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he just likes what he likes. So for him, it's like I could pull whoever the fuck I want to pull, right, you know.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So that's what also gives his character that that nuance and you know, that kind of special energy, and it makes his character more specific and not so general, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Because Yeah, and he's a very strong likes person like you.
Speaker 1: He resonates very well, like you feel like you know him, you have a friend like him as a straight man. Writing for his part though, because that was another thing too, I'm sitting there and I'm like, you know this, I'm like, hold on, wait, I didn't know your sexual preference at the time, and talking to you right now, I still don't know fully all of your sexual per Okay.
Speaker 3: Thanks for clearing that up.
Speaker 1: But yeah, now I'm sitting here and I'm thinking, I'm like, as a writer, nailing that character the way that you did as far as like what you wrote for him was so on point as well too, and that.
Speaker 4: Character is based off of one of my best friends to this day. So you know, this is somebody I hung out with. So the characters in the player about twenty three years old, rush out of college, you know, trying to figure it out. So during that time in my life, you know, him and I will hang out pretty much every day Aaron Harlem. The play where the play takes place is five blocks from the theater gotch, so we would.
Speaker 2: Hang out all the time and just you know, all kinds of shit that went down.
Speaker 4: And he's just an interesting person. He actually lives in London now, so but yeah, he's just this interesting person to me, like Gay or I. He was just interesting and I just and his philosophies were interesting. So, you know, to write, I was able to write that character because I've just spent so much time with him, and I was able to.
Speaker 3: Find why was it important for you to make him the main Like he is the glue to the whole spade.
Speaker 2: I consider that like the ring master, like when you got a circus. Yeah, I consider him the ring master.
Speaker 4: Because I just think I think I think he's just I think he's interesting, you know what I'm saying. I think he and I feel like you know, he may make some people uncomfortable, which I like, but that's what we want when we go to the theater.
Speaker 2: We want to feel something.
Speaker 3: But that's why I thought it was genius. That's literally why I'm like.
Speaker 4: When people see the first the first thing that happens in the play throws people.
Speaker 3: Off, like, yes, he is very much okay, living his best life.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, He is and and but and but That's what I'm saying by because the first I swear, the first thing I thought of is like, ooh, the auntie is gonna have a field day with this one when they come, because they love to play spades. But certain conversations you just not having with your aunties and uncles if you are black male. Honestly, not even just a male. I have female cousins who are also gay that have had a hard time to explain any things to our family exactly.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And I think the beautiful thing about his character is that I honestly feel like it for people to come see it who aren't used to like maybe hanging out with people in that crowd or whatever, I think it kind of gives them a different perspective that could be or what that could look like.
Speaker 2: Because his character's hilarious. He's fucking hilarious, you know.
Speaker 1: What I mean.
Speaker 4: So to have that and then to have the character Corey, who you know, is a best friend of his. They grew up in DC together, so they have that rapport, and you got Andre, Andre is.
Speaker 3: You know, is God blessing. Andre is one of the characters in the play, y'all.
Speaker 1: I was sitting there and I'm like, I'm so glad that I met people like Andre when I was sixteen and not at thirty three, because he is just out here, just doing whatever comes his way.
Speaker 2: So Andre is based off of me.
Speaker 3: Oh god, lord, you got yourself together there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is my younger days. Okay, this is me or my younger days. But yeah, the character is based off of me, you know, yeah, the characters based off of me. The character Corey is based off of an X of mine, a couple of exes of mine, kind.
Speaker 2: Of in one.
Speaker 4: The character net for Titty, who's the friend that comes in and stirs the possion, is based off of somebody who.
Speaker 2: I used to date.
Speaker 3: Is the situation.
Speaker 1: I can't I don't even know how to ask this? How are the situations based off of real situations too?
Speaker 2: Yes? I really in the play? Yeah, virginity thing, we can take that out. You take that out. I don't want to give away.
Speaker 3: To I can't get we can't. Y'all gotta go see the play.
Speaker 1: So, knowing that this is all based off of like real life things, I mean, it felt real, but it adds to it. Have any of these people seen the play, like the people that you've based it off of. Have they seen the play? And reactions? Especially the ex girlfriends?
Speaker 2: My ex girlfriend has not seen the play?
Speaker 3: Is this the ex girlfriend that's also on TV right now?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: Okay, no, but I'm sure she'd be triggered by it if she saw it too. But no, they have not seen the play. Nor do I think they want to see the play. I mean the X that is based off of She still still does not.
Speaker 2: Fuck with me to this day.
Speaker 4: Wow, So you know, I don't think she's gonna see the player, at least not this production.
Speaker 2: Maybe another production.
Speaker 1: The show your exison isn't Belair because Belair is only a season four. I've been trying to figure this out. I'm gonna keep thinking, why you talking. I had to look that up, like, how do I Seasons a bel Air?
Speaker 2: Sure you probably watch it.
Speaker 4: You seem like you might watch it, so yeah, yeah, Andrews based off of myself. NEFFERTITTI is based off of someone I met in La. That's another thing too, And that's another that's a part of like the journey in writing it. When I first wrote neffer Titty, I didn't spend that much time in La, so I wasn't as familiar with La culture and people like that. So when I was living in La, I was able to develop that character more, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean. I remember meeting somebody out in La and I was like as soon as I saw her, I was like, that's.
Speaker 4: That's right there, so you know that kind of date and her kind of added some details and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: And why is the drink of choice? Do you can? I? Yeah, Hennessy, it's too it's Hennessy and his tailor.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because we didn't have a run with cosmigos in the community. Patron had us in the cold sorak. But maybe you can't do with boys you're not allowed to beat them no more? Like is there a creative answer to that? Question, or did you just pick those because that's what niggas be doing.
Speaker 2: I feel like Hennessy is such a staple in the black community.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when you pull that handy out, you know what time it is? Yeah, I'm saying, like, you know what time it is? And then tailorport. I feel like there's another staple in our community.
Speaker 1: It's having a run right now with really yeah. Oh all summer they've been doing teleports.
Speaker 3: Yo.
Speaker 4: But it's you know, it's known to be this cheap, delicious wine. It tastes like juice, but that shit'll fuck you up, you know what I'm saying. So, and I think it also plays I use that because it plays to like her age. She's young, you don't know any refined wines or anything like that, but she's boozy enough to be like, I don't drink any okay, you know what I'm saying, Like, it's.
Speaker 3: A certain type of girl.
Speaker 1: So in the play, without giving it away, in the Spades game, you know, you have your drinks going, your food going, and those were the drinks of choice.
Speaker 3: Which they leaned a lot on as tools in the play.
Speaker 1: So I was wondering, like, is that a creative thing or just because that's what we've been doing, so you know, thinks for that.
Speaker 4: In earlier versions it was Moscato because that's I feel like Moscato's another.
Speaker 2: Like the chink, Yeah yeah, you know wine.
Speaker 4: But I was like, let me do the tailorport because I've had tail report and I know that thing that should fuck you up.
Speaker 3: Well, people go ahead. No good when people come and see the play.
Speaker 1: When it's done and it's over, and they walk away and in their cars and they lick because they didn't had a good time there, right, y'all a good time?
Speaker 3: What conversation do you want them to have?
Speaker 4: I mean one, I want them, you know, I want the experience of being there and seeing the show. I want that to kind of resonate with them because to me, I feel like I'm bringing back what theater used to feel like.
Speaker 2: They used to feel like going to.
Speaker 4: The theater, you know what I mean, you got an experience and like I remember back in the day, like going to like something underground or like off Broadway was like that's where the real work and the magic was happening. So for me, it's like I'm bringing people up to Hallow, you know what I mean? Yo, We're not even on Broadway with it. We up on one hundred and twenty fifth right in the heart of it.
Speaker 2: And it's not like a tradition.
Speaker 4: It's not a theater technically, it's just this really dope space, the spot that we use and create and created this story out of, you know what I'm saying. So like people come in and like the play's happening here. Yes it is, you know what I'm saying. So to me, it's like I want them to leave with that experience. I hope that, you know, they could relate to somebody in this play. I feel like there's at least one character in this play you can relate.
Speaker 2: To, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And yeah, and I hope it inspires people to want to write their own plays. I want people to be inspired, you know what I'm saying. I want people to realize. And I also want people black people specifically to understand, like, Yo, we don't have to wait on them to make stuff.
Speaker 2: We can make the shit ourselves.
Speaker 3: Based off of things we literally just do all day long in real life anyway.
Speaker 4: Exactly, you know what I mean, Like shout out to my team and like everybody that's working with me on this, Like these are all people I love, all people that you know, Like I couldn't do this without.
Speaker 2: Them, you know what I'm saying. And it takes a village. As they say, teamwork makes the dream work.
Speaker 3: And then talk about you know, just you're talking about taking a village.
Speaker 1: So we did all of the kind of like the context of your backstory, how has everything that you've been through, the people that you've met come into this moment of spades right now, because like I said, I walked in the first one and I'm like, that's gal Bean, Like you know what I'm saying, And that's a big name to have attached to a slag. You're a big name as well, but you know it was I mean face recognition you instantly, like you know, and that helps to put your project in certain conversations because she has fans.
Speaker 4: Exactly, I mean shout out to Gail, thank you. I mean the story about how that she wasn't who I had originally for that reading, the girl I had originally had to pull out, and she kind of pulled.
Speaker 2: Out last minute, So I was at it. I was in a pit goal, but.
Speaker 4: You know, I hit up a friend of mine in the industry who has worked with Gail. I said, look, I think Gail would be good for this role. I think she lives in New York from what I see on Instagram. You mind reaching out to her and you know what I'm saying, And she reached out. I mean the person I called to reach out to her. She makes things happens because people have a lot of respect for her as to why. So I knew hitting her up to hit up Gail was just gonna expedite Tasha Smith.
Speaker 2: Tasha need to come see the play. I met Tasha a few months ago. She needed to come see the play. She would love it.
Speaker 1: Tasha Smith was, which is so random because like we didn't even really know each other like that. It was just like, you know, you meet good people in passing. When I was trying to figure out leaving LA, I randomly called her. She couldn't She didn't answer, but she texted me and was like, Hey, everything okay. And I texted her and said, I'm about to quit my job and move from LA. I just wanted to get some advice from somebody that's actually working and doing all the things I want to do. And she sent me a voice no, and that voice note had me crying And the next day I quit my job and moved her.
Speaker 2: You see, but you took the leak. Yeah, but the league.
Speaker 1: But I'm saying she's the person that, like I mentioned that because I know that like Gail did Harlem, and you know Tasha Smith is working on well was working with Harlem and all the things.
Speaker 3: But you talk about getting her.
Speaker 1: To that play like, she's the type that will come out to that play, talk about that play like, and that's one of the things that I love about what you're doing and the reason why I'm like, all right, I might can only come for like thirty forty minutes, but I'm gonna come it. Text me an hour to get there, but I'm gonna come because I want to support it. Is because I understand that if what we're doing right now, that's how people find out about it, that's how your play gets to wherever theaters you want it to go. Just the eyes gets the financial support all it does take community and had your resources. But we gotta be like the Tasha Smith's of the world, who we will pick up the phone and call, will come out. We'll talk about it like that's like so big for me, and I think what you do, y'all need it because theater is it's not the thing that people like run and yell about exactly.
Speaker 4: I mean because also too, it's like, as I said, I think it's another example of like people are more concerned with the glitz and the glam. You know, folks want to be on Broadway and all this other shit. That's cool, but what's the work that's being produced. I'm sitting in these plays and I'm like, Yo, this is whack. On top of that, I'm tired of seeing the same actors all the time.
Speaker 2: Why can't we get new faces? You know what I'm saying. There's other people who are just as hungry, who are just as talented, if not more. They just need the opportunity, you know what I'm saying. That was something I did.
Speaker 4: That was something I was very conscious about in casting this. I wanted brand new faces. I don't want to see the same all the time. These are all people I know because I'm in the industry with them. I'm tired of seeing, y'all. I want new faces to help bring this story to life, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Because instead of people coming and be like, oh that's so and so. I want people. Oh that's guilt.
Speaker 4: Oh that's core, you know what I mean, Like I want because to me, I feel like that helps the character resonate even more, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So you know, for me, it's just kind of like we just need, like we need to shake things up a bit right now because it's too stale. It's too stale.
Speaker 4: Everybody just wants the accolade. But what's the product? What's the story that you're telling? What's the experience that we're getting, you know what I mean? Besides, hey, I was there, and so and so from so and so was in it, and I took a picture with them.
Speaker 2: But what's the story. What was the play about? I don't remember. I fell asleep, you know what.
Speaker 4: I'm saying, Like I want to if I'm coming to the theater, I will tell you a story like move me, you know what I mean. Something So I'm I want to bring that back. And I want to travel with this, like New York is not the one and the only stop. I want to take this all over the country.
Speaker 3: I know, Atlanta, Sophie said, Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know they're gonna eat it up Atlanta.
Speaker 3: Look, Sophie told us, Oh, oh, they're gonna eat it up. Oh no, Sophie, we know I had some.
Speaker 2: People auditioned from Atlanta, send audition tapes from Atlanta.
Speaker 1: I mean, but that's a black mecca. So that's like a duve, you know what I'm saying. Atlanta, DC, Chocolate City, Chicago would do well.
Speaker 2: Icago eat it up to that.
Speaker 3: I went to Chicago recently and I was like, this is Atlanta, Like it's so black.
Speaker 1: I was in the Soho House in Chicago and it was black people, and like I was, I was because you hear the complete like not that you don't hear that black people are in Chicago, but you only hear about the bad things happening with black people when it comes to Chicago, at least on a media level for me and what I do. So when I went there and I'm seeing all these black people in the Soho House and you know, it's just vibes and people are happy and you know they're I was just like, yes, like it felt like I was in Atlanta. It felt like I was in Atlanta where you walk outside and like black is royalty.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what my dream city is Oh, yes, New Orleans is my favorite city in the world. Yes, I would love New Orleans.
Speaker 4: I think it'll happen because you know, New Orleans doesn't have a theater scene like that, which is which is.
Speaker 3: Crazy to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all of their like the band like front line stuff that they do is music and the costuming.
Speaker 4: And you know what it is, It's because New Orleans is a theatric is a theatrical experience in itself, just being in the city, the food. So New Orleans is my dream city because you know, as I said, like they don't have a theater scene out there, and I think this place specifically they would, oh they would eat it up. On top of that, what you know, what we want to do is like every city we go to, we want to like cater to like that city, you know what I mean. So like you know how we have the Sunday brunches here, Yeah, you know, we'll do that in New Orleans and say, like we'll have you know, we'll bring in a band, you know, because they're big on that second line and all that type of stuff.
Speaker 2: And imagine the food in New Orleans. Imagine the food in New Orleans. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So what do you need to make that happen? Like money? Exactly simple?
Speaker 1: As well, how can the people, you know, our community here at the Ladies with one of the rosa it is called the Low Riders. On the audio side, we have five million people. That was like a few months ago, so we probably will well over that. The visual side, we're here, this is new our home in our studio. So to all the people listening, anyone watching, how what.
Speaker 2: Do you mean?
Speaker 4: For one, if you're in New York, if you if you if you are in New York City, come see the play. Just first and foremost, just come see the play, come experience it, so that at least you know what you're putting your dollars into and you know now and then you can relate to what we're talking about. We have, you know, we have a donation link if people want to donate. But I think first and foremost, I just want people to come see it. Come see it, come experience it, you know what I mean, Because I think that will help with moving people to want to do it. Because then also to I get it, the economy is real fed up, right, it's up, But we need joy too, that we need the great do you need you? That's why Sunday brunches are my favorite days because it's just pure.
Speaker 2: Family, you know what I mean. You come in.
Speaker 4: We have a different DJ every week. His on has been our food. Ok to her, she's been killing it with the food.
Speaker 2: People do they eat?
Speaker 3: They eat in the space that we were in. Yeah, and what there's on tables.
Speaker 2: On the second floor. We got table set up and everything you eat.
Speaker 4: It's a it's a four to twenty friendly space, so you know, you get your smoke on too, you know what I'm saying. We have drinks, you know what I mean. Everything is everything that you need to have a good time. It's provided for you. Shout out to our whost Sarah. Sarah, you know, kind of keeps the vibs going. She's really dope and it's just a good time. And then you get us to watch a play after, you know what I mean. And then after the play, if you want to chill and play space some more, you can do that too, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's just a good time where you could just come and commune and.
Speaker 4: Just you know, it's it could be a nice little date night, little situation or a nice little yo.
Speaker 2: Come find you, you know, come find a little you know.
Speaker 1: They need a website, they need a website, they need an Instagram. So how can they come to Where do they get the tickets to come see the play?
Speaker 2: Go to our Instagram at space to play.
Speaker 3: All common spelling, huh, all regular spellings.
Speaker 4: It is. Our ticket link is in the bio and they can find it there. And yeah, you know, we're still building. We're still building. We we are in the beginning stages. But this is gonna grow. You know what I'm saying, I think because also to another beautiful thing is that this is literally the only thing of its kind.
Speaker 2: There's no other play that revolves around the game.
Speaker 3: I love this for you.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to look up your ticket link so you can share it because on the audio side, you got people that might not be Instagram savvy, okay, so I want to make sure that can get to you.
Speaker 4: We're selling our tickets through posh. It's an app for like events and stuff like that. So if you have the app Posh, you can find us their space to play.
Speaker 2: Same way.
Speaker 1: Nothing else got you, got you, and we'll in the so for everybody. Uh, you know, listening, watching whatever. We'll have the link visually if you're watching, but if you're listening, we'll make sure that we put the link.
Speaker 3: I'll have it on my like Instagram, and then we'll also try and make sure that we put it in a description.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's clickable there from that though, but if it is, I don't mind doing that for you either, so that people can be able to But if you're listening, just I'm gonna do this just in case we can't link it if you're listening, Spade to play on Instagram all common spelling, but you guys follow me on Instagram as well. I'm Laura le Rosa everywhere, and y'all know I'll be posting this and tagging and all the things so that you guys can find this play. Definitely go out and see it. Definitely bring a friend. Definitely tell a friend. I've enjoyed the conversation.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite things to do, as you know, a podcaster, because we're podcasters now, y'all, it's have conversations that I enjoy, and like I've been able to do that through this show.
Speaker 3: I've been blessed to be able to do that.
Speaker 1: And I thoroughly enjoyed this conversation and hearing your journey, and I'm proud that you kept going.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Are you happy now?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean yeah, I mean it's look, but there's been a lot of moments where it was like, Yo, what am I doing?
Speaker 2: What am I doing? You know? God? Like what you do to me right now?
Speaker 4: But you know, it's just that it's that resilience to like keep going no matter what, cause you know you're gonna be faced with obstacles.
Speaker 2: That's life. But that's the test. Yes, can you make it? You know what I mean? Like, are you gonna let so and so stop you from making it happen? You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: And every time I persevered, it's come through for me, you know what I'm saying. So I already know big things are gonna happen from this. I don't know what, but I just know this is this is something that I was put here to do, you know what I mean. And that's another thing too, that in that journey I told you about, I find it.
Speaker 2: Allowed me to discover my purpose. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm not just Marcus the actor anymore. Telling people I'm an actor is so boring to me because it's like, I do way more than that. Yeah, acting is my you know, my first love and all of that, and I could do that, it ain't going nowhere.
Speaker 2: But I also do these other things and I have a lot to offer. But sometimes you have to.
Speaker 4: Put yourself out on front street in order for people to realize that, as opposed to waiting for someone to tell you that, because these folks ain't gonna tell you that, they're just worried about Hey, can you audition for this thing? You know we want to ten percent? You know what I mean exactly yourself. You gotta bet on yourself. If you know that you have more to offer to the world, you have to bet on yourself because no one's gonna want it more than you.
Speaker 3: Yes, I agree.
Speaker 1: Well, look, low riders, I tell you guys, every single episode, y'all could be anywhere with anybody having these conversations and listen, y'all choose to be here every single episode. So I am extremely excited that you guys got to experience what I've been able to experience in seeing space to play and hearing from the creator Marcus calendar.
Speaker 2: Oh so too.
Speaker 4: I'm an ambassador of this company called you a full rolls its rolling paper company. And what makes their product unique as well is that the rolling paper kids.
Speaker 2: Come with a builting grinder. Come on, now, I think it's in here.
Speaker 3: I don't know nothing about much, but he's very excited about it.
Speaker 2: So so this is so, this is the paper right here. You know, you got your you got your papers, you got your filters. But then on the inside, let me see the ground. It's like there's a little mini grinder right there. So on the go you can take your we oh.
Speaker 3: You still gotta do it, like yeah, okay, but like let's get under your nails though.
Speaker 2: But but look, it's better than nothing.
Speaker 3: Oh it's a greater Okay, because I know grinders, you normally like twist them.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you'll be out You're like, damn my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah you know what I'm saying. What's your carry?
Speaker 2: And it comes with that, and then we have a grinder. We do have a ground one. Okay, that's pretty special too, got you. It's shaped like a U of fo got you. Okay, this is our grinder.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 4: Got it like a little U fold shaped to it so for all my marijuana kind of seers out there looking at the UFO role.
Speaker 1: You can copy your product and then you can come and watch your play because it's for twenty friendly and you can use the product with it.
Speaker 2: We got we got product goal lord at the show.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, y'all, make sure y'all pull up check out Space to play. Created directed by Marcus Calendar. Thank you so much for joining us. This has been an amazing conversation. And congratulations and when you are winning all of the awards and all the things. Okay, don't forget us over here.
Speaker 2: I ain't gonna forget.
Speaker 3: They gonna call y'all back for another interview. Don't forget sure.
Speaker 1: I know I'm a little all over the place, but we knew, but we hear. It's the latest with Lorna Rosa the Podcast. I'll see you guys in our next episode.
Speaker 3: Thank y'all for joining me.
Speaker 1: This has been a live conversation with act your storyteller creative Marcus Calendar.
Speaker 3: I'm Lorna Rosa. This is the latest with Laura Rosa. Signing out