Speaker 1: We're from Mahart. We're Innovation, Money and Power Collie in Silicon Vallet NBN. This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and.
Speaker 2: Ed Ludlow.
Speaker 3: Live from San Francisco to our TV and radio audiences around the world. Welcome to a special edition of Bloomberg Technology. I'm Ed Ludlow. In just a few moments in vidio, CEO Jensen Wang will join us for a live interview following their latest earnings report, the company posting a revenue forecast that beat consensus that fell short to some of the most optimistic estimates, stoking concern that the explosive growth is waning. Let's get right to Bloomberg Semiconductor correspondent Ian King, who joins me on set. Let's start with the basics, the fiscal third quarter forecast and we learned through it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that forecast was fine. If you compare it to consensus, it was there or thereabouts. And for most of the companies in the world, that would be great and everybody would be happy. But this is in video. This is a company which you know, beats pretty much every quarter and by an order of magnitude, and it didn't do that, and it didn't indicate it would do that, and that raised a lot of questions. As we heard on the.
Speaker 3: Call, there are many storylines. I think the demand from the hyperscalers is clearly intact, but Blackwell was everything. I want to play a SoundBite of what Jensen Wong said about Blackwell. Listened to this.
Speaker 2: The change to the mask is complete. There were no functional changes necessary, and so we're sampling functional samples of Blackwell Grace Blackwell in a variety of system configurations as we speak.
Speaker 3: The main point here is that there was not a design issue with Blackwell itself as had been reported, but based on what Nvidia said, this was about the production mechanism. Blue Bazine King, you did a very good job in the top Life blog of explaining a GPU mask. Could you just try to give a short version of that to our audience.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the mask is basically the blueprint, which basically that is used to burn in the circuit onto the surface of the chip to give it its function, right, and it is a very important step. That's the fundamental blueprint. And they were saying we didn't get it wrong, but when it came to manufacturing, it didn't produce as many good chips as we wanted, so we made some tweaks to that. Didn't have to redesign it, but made some tweaks, and that is helping us to get a better yield.
Speaker 3: It's worth noting at this stage the stocks down almost seven percent in after hours, have been down more at the conclusion of the call. I think basically because we didn't learn enough about Blackwell. What they said was in the fiscal fourth quarter of fiscal year twenty five, there will be several billion dollars of sales through Blackwell. Why does the market want more and what does it want?
Speaker 4: They wanted a reassurance from in videos management, and they wanted reassurance in the form of details. They wanted gens to PuTTY's arm around everybody and say, don't worry, It'll be fine. This is how much I'm going to get. They asked consistently, We're asked questions of how many billions and when will those billions exactly come in and collect. Kretz, the CFO and Jensen Wang essentially avoided that question and refuse to give that precise reassurance.
Speaker 3: We're showing some of the after ours reaction, not just in in video itself, but some of its peers, both on the chip making side the server equipment providers, and I think AMD and ARM in particular are very noteworthy. Bloombogty and King stay with us. I want to go out to Chicago and Bloomberg's Ryan for Lostelka on I Equities team and Ryan. That's the broad summary from me about the names moving and after hours there's probably a bigger picture after ours movement in the markets as well, start with in video and work outward from there.
Speaker 5: Sure, well, one thing I would say about in videos after hours decline is that it does come after a very strong year to day performance. I think it closed up more than one hundred and fifty percent this year, So even though the re forecast was maybe a little bit shy of some of the most optimistic expectations, it did beat expectations. And it is, you know, coming off such a huge gain. So it's not necessarily surprising to see a little bit of a consolidation now. And I think even the declient is a little bit less and the options market was anticipating. So just some context there for looking at the declient. But you're right that pretty much we are seeing widespread weakness following this report, all the megacaps are, you know, modestly lower. We are seeing much more pronounced weakness in other chip makers and chip design companies and so forth. So yeah, certainly it does seem like the initial read through here is negative, but again it does come after a very strong start to the year.
Speaker 3: We made a big deal about this earnings print for quite a long time. I look at something like an investco QQQ, the ETF that tracks the nast that one hundred, and I think it's down around a percentage point, right, But in true in the market's reaction, was this the macro level event that we thought it was going to be.
Speaker 5: That's a great question. I would say that it's kind of close enough in line with expectations, even if it is a little bit shy the most optimistic ones that I don't think this is going to really cause people to really change how they're allocating, change their opinions on AI's as kind of fundamental secular driver. But maybe in the near term we do see a little bit of weakness. I mean, again, some of these stocks have been moving up so much there have been sort of kind of growing calls about their valuation. Some concerns about that. I don't know if this is the kind of absolute blowout that will just you know, cause people to continue piling into the the way that they were doing earlier this year.
Speaker 3: There is a lot in the news cycle inclusive of and outside of video. I think one of the names that you note in after ours is super Micro. It's down significantly. There's an video relationship to that, and then there's the news around that name in and of itself.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Absolutely so. We saw yesterday a short report came out Today's delaying the filing of the tin K. You know, both of those cars does a weakness in the stock. I think today it was down more than double digits, So you know, a lot of reasons to be concerned there in general. And it is one of Nvidia's biggest customers. I think it's the third largest, So you know, this is just another reason for people who might have been kind of souring on super Micro to you know, maybe be pulling the cell button.
Speaker 2: A little bit.
Speaker 3: Bloomdo's Ryan for Selica with the after hours action out of Chicago. Thank you. Let's get the reaction from the cell side with one of the stocks, relative bears d A Davidson's Gil Luria had a neutral rating and a street low ninety dollars price target on shares of Nvidia. He joins US now and Gil, I guess does that change your barished perspective on the stock and your main takeaway from the analyst school, the quarter was.
Speaker 1: A very good quarter there. Ability to continue to grow delivering chips at this rate at this scale is fantastic and unprecedented. I don't think there's much of a revenue issue here, of a growth issue here. I think a little bit of a pushback is probably more around the margin situation. You had a good conversation with Ian about Blackwell and some of the moving pieces part of what's happening with Blackwell. It's a new product, it's got a few hitches along the way that put pressure on gross margins, and then operating margins grew more than anticipated, so less of the top line upside flowed to the bottom line. And that's probably where investors are getting a little bit more cautious than they were before, because in the last several quarters, the huge upside to revenue flowed all the way to the bottom line, creating huge upside there to believe in and Nvidia right now is to believe twenty twenty six calendar is going to be about two hundred billion of revenue and about four and a half to five dollars of earnings. That's only possible if they continue to get this type of growth on the top line and more leverage. And the second part of that equation looks a little less certain right now.
Speaker 3: Gil. When you said that two hundred billion dollar figure, Bloombergsy and King, who's covered semi conductors at this company since nineteen ninety eight, sat next to me still, for what it's worth, gave a little smile. I mean, it's an astonishing figure. I think there's a lot of emphasis here on Blackwell. How did you react to the news of several billion dollars in fiscal fourth with Blackwell and the explanation that this was a production issue impacting the ramp, not a sort of core design issue around the product itself.
Speaker 1: So, first of all, our estimate is far less than two hundred billion for twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: But that's you're a relative bear, Gill and I got that bit right.
Speaker 1: I think in terms of Blackwell, what happened to in n videos they used to be on a two year cycle for the data center product, and they decided to aggressively move to a one year cycle and then put a lot of new feature functionality and bundle into the Blackwell platform. So that was a very aggressive agenda, and it's not that surprising that there's some challenges that they have to encounter. If they can still ship in their fiscal fourth quarter, that's a very good sign. And by the way, their customers don't really care that much. Their customers are just going to continue to buy the latest and greatest, and if that's the Age two hundred, they'll just continue to buy h two hundred. They have made that abundantly clear on their conference calls, Microsoft, Meta, Amazon, Google, Tesla. Elon Musk made it abundantly clear they'll buy as much GPUs as and Video can produce, at least this year, because they're saying the demand signals are there. As long as the demand signals are there, they'll buy whatever and Video is selling, and towards the end of the year, a piece of that will be Blackwell.
Speaker 3: Gil Jensen Wong was it pains and gave a detailed answer that basically summarizing video as a systems vendor the discussion around Envy link, CPUs, everything beyond GPU. How much credit do you assign the company for that, the sort of complete systems that they sell.
Speaker 1: A tremendous amount of credit. Let's start with the beginning. When history is written, we'll talk about how Jensen Wangen Nvidia created the capabilities that make generative AI possible today in a similar way that Elon Musk is responsible for the electric vehicle. And part of the genius wasn't just seeing that this is coming, that accelerate computers coming, AI capabilities is coming well before anybody else did. It's also realizing that in order to create a moat around the chip, they need to do a couple of things. One is to own the proprietary software around that KUDA, but the other thing is to enhance the bundle as much as possible. These GPUs work in a raise when they work together, ten thousands or sometimes tens of thousands of GPUs together. When you box those up in a box with multiple GPUs, CPUs, wiring, cabling and firmware, you make it harder for your competitors to catch. And they've done a remarkable job of that.
Speaker 3: I also wonder about all the rest The story thus far has been about the hyperscale is a meta five names, essentially being the core customer of Nvidia. We got some detail on low double digit billions sales this year in sovereign AI. Do you see evidence that the market is broadening out beyond just the cloud providers?
Speaker 1: Not really. It seems like those five are still a substantial amount of the revenue. And those five have in their most recent calls said some interesting things. One of them is that they consistently said they are over investing. So they said they definitely want to invest more. We're seeing that in results today. But they also use the term over investing. Over investing is something you do before you do the other thing, and they made it clear that they're only going to do so when they have the demand signals. If for whatever reason, demand for AI capacity goes down, for instance, because compute doesn't continue to drive performance of foundational models, you're going to see those same five actors pull back and say, you know, maybe we have enough data center capacity, or maybe what we have in the pipeline is enough. And that's the concern for twenty twenty five and twenty six is that those very companies could do that. Beyond that, these are the same companies that are developing their own chips. They're at various stages of this, but Google's TPUs are probably as good as in videos, so in terms of their internal use and selling to customers such as Apple, Google's already caught up, Amazon's catching up, Meta and Microsoft are earlier stages. But these same companies that are buying every GPU from video they can gil will be the ones that will buy possibly less next year in the year after that.
Speaker 3: I just want to reflect for our TV and radio audience, there are people tuned in around the world. My understanding is there are watch parties in cities from New York to London. For this earnings. We've hyped it up for weeks. Probably this is the most unique earnings print that I've covered in my career. What about for you in the semiconductor space, Why is this so different?
Speaker 1: Well, so, first of all, I tried to participate by wearing a video green today. But importantly and video is important because of how much they've added to the cumulative earnings of this in P. Five hundred and the cumulative performance. But I wouldn't necessarily extrapolate their success or sometimes setbacks to the rest of the market because what they do is very specific. The growth and data center construction and data center a GPU fulfillment into those data centers is a very small set of companies. I'd argue, and Video is sucking the oxygen for the room from a lot of other technology companies. So we celebrate within Video because they've added so much value I wouldn't necessarily read through to the rest of technology.
Speaker 3: Guillerya of DA Davidson, the relatively most bearish or perhaps the least bullish name on the street. Thank you so welcome to this special edition of Bloomberg Technology for our TV and radio audience around the world. Joining me now is Jensen One, CEO of Nvidia, straight from the analyst's call, and Jensen, good evening, good afternoon to you. I think the market wanted more on Blackwell, they wanted more specifics, and I'm trying to go through all of the call and the transcript. It seems like a very clearly this was a production issue and not a fundamental design issue with Blackwell, but the deployment in the real world, what does that look like tangibly and is there a sort of delay in the timeline of that deployment and thus revenue from that product.
Speaker 6: I let's see, that's just the fact that I was so clear and it wasn't clear enough kind of tripped me up there right away. And so let's see. We we made a mass change to improve the yield. Functionality of Blackwell is wonderful. We're sampling Blackwell all over the world today. We show people giving tours to people of the Blackwall systems that we have up and running. You could find pictures of Blackwall systems all over the web. We have started volume production. Volume production will ship in Q four. Q four, we will have billions of dollars of Blackwell revenues and we will ramp from there. We will ramp from there. The demand for Blackwell far exceeds its supply, of course in the beginning, because the demand is so great, But we're going to have lots and lots of supply and we will be able to ramp. Starting in Q four, we have billions of dollars of revenues and we will ramp from there into Q one into Q two and two next year. We're going to have a great next year.
Speaker 3: Well, Jensen, what is the demand for accelerated computing beyond the hyperscalers and meta.
Speaker 6: Hyperscalers represent about forty five percent of our total data center business. We're relatively diversified today. We have hyperscalers, we have Internet service providers, we have sovereign AIS, we have industries enterprises, so it's fairly fairly diversified. A site outside of hyperscalers is the other fifty five percent. Now, the application use across all of that, all of that data center starts with accelerated computing. Accelerated computing does everything, of course, from well the models the things that we know about, which is generative AI, and that gets most of the attention. But at the core we also do database processing, pre and post processing of data before you use it for generative AI, trans coding, scientific simulations, computer graphics of course, image processing of course. And so there's tons of applications that people use are accelerated computing for, and one of them is generative AI. And so let's see what else can I say? I think that's the.
Speaker 3: Lever jump in Jensen please on Sovereign AI. You and I've talked about that before, and it was so interesting to hear something behind it that in this fiscal year there will be low double digit I think you said billions of dollars in sovereign AI sales. But to the lay person, what does that mean. It means deals with specific governments, if so, where.
Speaker 6: It's not necessarily Sometimes it deals with a particular regional service provider that's been funded by the government. And oftentimes that's the case in a case of in the case of Japan, for example, the the Japanese government came out and UH offered UH subsidies of a couple of billion dollars. I think for several different internet companies and telcos to be able to fund their AI infrastructure. UH India has a sovereign AI initiative going and they're building their AI infrastructure. Canada, the UK, France, Italy, missing somebody, Singapore, Malaysia, UH. You know, a large number of countries are subsidizing their regional data centers so that they could become able to build out their AI infrastructure. They recognize that their countries UH knowledge, their countries data digital data is also their natural resource, not just the land they're sitting on, not just the air above them. But they realize now that their digital knowledge is part of their natural and national resource, and they are to harvest that and process that and transform it into their national digital intelligence. And so this is what we call sovereign AI. You could imagine almost every single country in the world will eventually recognize this and build out their AI infrastructure.
Speaker 3: Jenson, you use the word resource, and that makes me think about the energy requirements here. I think on the cool you talk about how the next generation models will have many orders of magnitude greater compute needs. But how will the energy needs increase and what is the advantage you feel in Vidia has in that sense, Well.
Speaker 6: The most important thing that we do is increase the performance of and increase the performance and efficiency of our next generation. So Blackwell is many times more performance than Hopper at the same level of power used. And so that's energy efficiency, more performance with the same amount of power or same performance at a lower power And that's number one. And the second is using luca cooling. We support air cool we support air cooling, we support liqual cooling, but liqual cooling is a lot more energy efficient, and so the combination of all of that you're going to get a pretty large, pretty large step up. But the important thing to also realize is that AI doesn't really care where it goes to school, and so increasingly we're going to see AI be trained somewhere else, have that model come back and be used near the population, or even running on your PC or your phone. And so we're going to train large models. But the goal is not to run the large models necessarily all the time. You can, you can surely do that for some of the premium services and the very high value AIS, but it's very likely that these large models would then help to train and teach smaller models, and what we'll end up doing is have one large, few large models that are able to train a whole bunch of small models, and they run everywhere.
Speaker 3: Jensen, you explain clearly that demand to build generative AI product on models or even at the GPU level is greater than current supply. In black Wealth's case in particular, explain the supply dynamics to me for your products and whether you see an improvement sequentially quarter on quarter or at some point by the end of fiscal year into next year.
Speaker 6: Well, the fact that we're growing would suggest that our supply is improving and our supply chain is quite large. One of the largest supply chains in the world. We have incredible partners and they're doing a great job supporting us in our growth. As you know, we're one of the fastest growing technology companies in history. None of that would have been possible without very strong demand but also very strong supply. We're expecting Q three to have more supply than Q two, We're expecting Q four to have more supply than Q three, and we're expecting Q one to have more supply than Q four, And so I think our supply, our supply condition going into next year will be in will be a large improvement over this last year with respect to demand. Blackwell is just such a leap and there's several things that are happening, you know, just the Foundation model makers themselves. The size of the Foundation models are growing from hundreds of billions parameters to trillions of parameters. They're also learning more languages. Instead of just learning human language, they're learning the language of images and sounds and videos, and they're even learning the language of three D graphics. And whenever they are able to learn these languages, they can understand what they see, but they can also generate what they're asked to generate and so they're learning the language of routines and chemicals and physics. You know, it could be fluids and it could be particle physics, and so they're learning all kinds of different languages, learned the meaning of what we call modalities, but basically learning languages. And so these models are growing in size, they're learning from more data, and there are more model makers then there was a year ago. And so the number of model makers have grown substantially because of all these different modalities. And so that's just one, just the frontier model. The foundation model makers themselves haven't really grown tremendously. And then the generative AI market has really diversified, you know, beyond the Internet service makers to startups and now enterprises are jumping in and different countries are jumping in, so the demand is really growing.
Speaker 3: Jensen, I'm sorry to cut you off. I will lose your time soon. You've also diversified. And when I said to our audience you were coming on, I got so many questions. Probably the most common one is what is in Vidia. We talked about you as a systems vendor, but so many points on in Vidia Gpu Cloud, and I want to ask finally, do you have plans to become literally a cloud compute provider.
Speaker 6: No. Our GPU cloud was designed to be the best version of Nvidia Cloud that's built within each cloud. Nvidio DGX cloud is built inside GCP, inside Azure, inside AWS, inside OCI, and so we build our clouds within THEIRS so that we can implement our best version of our cloud, work with them to make that cloud, that that infrastructure, that AI infrastructure in Nvidia infrastructure, as performance, as great TCO as possible, and so that strategy has worked incredibly well. And of course we are large consumers of it because we create a lot of AI ourselves, because our chips aren't possible to design without AI, our software is not possible to write without AI, and so we use it ourselves tremendous, you know, tremendous amount of it self driving cars, the general robotics work that we're doing, the omniverse work that we're doing. So we're using the DGX cloud for ourselves. We also use it for an AI foundry. We make AI models for companies that would like to have expertise in doing so, and so we are AI. We're an AI, we're a foundry for AI. Like tsmcs a foundry for our chips and so so there are three fundamental reasons why we do it. One is to have the best version of Nvidia inside all the clouds. Two because we're a large consumer to ourselves, and third because we use it for AI foundry for to help every other company.
Speaker 3: Jensen one, CEO and video. I want to thank you for your time the extended conversation straight off the earnings called thank you in earnings fiscal it's good to see you too called second quarter. Then I point out that in after hours the stock is down still almost seven percent. There'll be a lot of analysis to be done overnight by the cell side, by the byside, and we'll bring you the best from Bloomberg's reporters and editors from San Francisco. This is Bloomberg Technology