Speaker 1: This is the Drive with Dale Lolly and Matt Williamson on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Drive. I am Dale LOLLI he is the Matt Williamson and of course the Steelers making some big news today for the first time, not just relieving an offensive coordinator or a coordinator of his duties, but firing him in mid season. They've they've moved away from or taken play calling duties away from guys in best race. Sherman comes to mind, changes his response, Yeah, nineteen ninety eight, but they had never taken the move of actually firing the coordinator. And it all comes down to one thing, Matt, what the Steelers haven't done recently, which.
Speaker 3: Is complete passes.
Speaker 2: Complete passes.
Speaker 3: He complete more passes. Yep, that's the.
Speaker 2: Goal here, That is the goal. You know, whether this does that, we don't know.
Speaker 3: We don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Coordinator hires are always hard for me. Any assistant coach stuff is hard for me because I've been in the building and I know what they do, and I know the public doesn't know what they do, and I don't know what they do now. I will say, I need to stress this to no end. They've played the hardest schedule of defenses and it's not even close. I mean it's not even close. So higher fire whatever, I would expect things from this point forward. Yeah, because the people they're playing are worse.
Speaker 2: Until they get to the Ravens in week seven eighteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean yeah, there's it's not like until they get to that.
Speaker 2: I mean right, They've played a ridiculous slate of defenses.
Speaker 3: To the defenses, and I gets easier as it should because it's been very, very difficult. That's not an excuse. You still need to win, you still need to complete more pass It's.
Speaker 2: A it's a result driven business. There's no offens or buts about it.
Speaker 3: Yes, but.
Speaker 2: I think what happened, you know, Mike Tomlin looked at this and said, Okay, we're six and four. We can't continue to do that. Something something has to change. Something has to change, and I don't want to change the quarterback at this point. So beyond not changing the quarterback, what other change can I make? Well? I can, I can change who's calling the place. Here's the thing, folks, the playbook's not getting changed. The playbook is the playbook.
Speaker 3: Right, You're not going to go back to day one mini camp install in practice.
Speaker 2: Somebody asked the question. Somebody asked actually asked the question today in the press conference, Mike Tomlin, did you look outside the building to bring somebody in in the middle of a season? Are you out of your mind?
Speaker 3: You could bring someone in as a consultant. You can't bring someone in be like, hey, why you install your in the.
Speaker 2: Next three days? Right, Let's see what we get to run.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we'll all learn French tomorrow and have there's some Rosetta stone here for that, and we'll all have huge frenchmen chasing us, trying to kill us, and we the only way to fend them off as we know French perfectly tomorrow. Now, the sequencing of plays will change, Yes, tendencies and maybe there's a section of the playbook that they just throw in the fire. I mean, you might trim things, you might have an idea or two, Like I'm keeping an eye out for more play action, more middle of the field throws. But I've seen middle of the field receivers open and the ball doesn't go to them.
Speaker 2: I've seen those throws turn down. Yes, now maybe the emphasis becomes on making those throws.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right or right?
Speaker 2: Uh you know that that. You know, I just don't expect it to look night and day. And I think that's kind of what the expectation is for a lot of people. Know they're gonna come out and they're gonna run the football and they're going to play off of that.
Speaker 3: And frankly, if they get three hundred and twenty five yards of offense and twenty two points on Sunday, please don't tweet me. See that was all.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I fully expected them, regardless of who the coordinator is we talked about yesterday, still look good on offense against the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, I think they should have more success, way more success than against the Browns. I'll tell you that in Cleveland. Yeah. I mean, if they didn't show more success no matter who's in charge going forward this week, that would have been very alarming to me. I mean that's something I was gonna predict, and we did yesterday to some degree. I mean, it's an easier opponent. I expect them still to run the ball a lot. I expect them still to be adverse to turnovers, you know. I mean those messages I think come from the head coach, and it's still the head coach and still the same owner and those things. Maybe there'll be some more passing game concepts that are a little different, But I don't think the untrained eye would look at the offense and be like, wow, it's drastically different. I don't think the trained eye would look at it and be like, wow, it's drastically different. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Here's here's what the Bengals have allowed this year in terms of points. Twenty four, twenty seven, sixteen, twenty seven, twenty thirteen, seventeen eighteen, had a little stretcher where they were pretty good, and then the last two weeks has been thirty and thirty four.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, and they're gonna get less help from their offense now than at any point since Burrow was healthy.
Speaker 2: You know, if you look at the at the total yard.
Speaker 3: Shocked the defense as bad as it is.
Speaker 2: Listen to these yardage totals.
Speaker 3: I bit, they're high.
Speaker 2: Yeah, three point fifty four fifteen, two ninety two against the Rams. Okay, four hundred that's against the Titans against the Titans, two ninety four against the Cardinals. Uh three eighty four four sixty three, seventeen five, four and four oh five. Yes, the Steelers offense is go. It had better look better this week if it doesn't, now you now.
Speaker 3: What, Yeah, I just know everyone isn't. Just like, why didn't they do that earlier? It would have been so much better. I don't know that it would have been. I know that. Yeah, Kyle Shanahan could have been Bill Walsh.
Speaker 2: Could have could have come out and coordinated that game on Sunday, And I don't know that it would have looked more it would it looked? Would it look better? Yes? Might they have scored fourteen points to win the game, yes, exactly. But to put it all on you know, the plate of this wasn't all on Matt Canada. That is my point.
Speaker 3: To look at it like BC and AC, you know what I mean, Like since that point they were really good.
Speaker 2: Well, now that being said, he wasn't correcting the problems. Kenny Pickett had looked worse and worse in the last couple of weeks. That has to change.
Speaker 3: And I'm not objecting to the move. I mean by no means I think some thing had to change.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised by them, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean Steeler history shows. As you've opened the show with that, that's not usually their move. But you could also see players getting frustrated. This needs to change things like that.
Speaker 2: And I think that's kind of what that what pushed this exactly, not that not that Mike Tomlin was in danger of losing the locker room. But again, you can't The players are the players.
Speaker 3: They're frustrated.
Speaker 2: You have to You're not gonna you can't change you can't change the players that display and everybody, especially offensively, everybody's playing that. I mean, who who do you want to see play that? Not playing at all?
Speaker 3: Right, I'm sure there's people like, well Warren needs to be the feature back, Okay, give them five more carries a game. But well, here's the thing, he's going to be a part of it either way.
Speaker 2: The guy who makes that decision is Eddie Faulkner, who plays and when what plays within the scope of his room.
Speaker 3: People might not even know that, you know, the position coach is like, get in there, Jalen.
Speaker 2: That's not that's not a coordinating And now the coordinator and head coach have say no, we want this guy.
Speaker 3: But most of the play with eleven personnel most of the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there, most of the time, it's the it's the position coach who decides, Okay, this this guy's in there in this situation when you're rotating guys and things of that nature. Offensive line is different, yeah, because those guys are on the field constantly. Quarterbacks different because those guys are on the field constantly. But the rotations are decided by the position coach fresh not yea.
Speaker 3: Then the players, they can pull themselves out each a lot. I'll come off the field, or you know, a back will tap out, or receiver runs go routes and just goes right to the sideline. But I wonder, and what's what's interesting from and hard from where we're gonna sit here, is is that a Canada change, a Falconer change or was it that change coming anyway? So, like the Steelers are really high in eleven personnel in the league. Well, Fiarm's been hurt, you know, like if all of a sudden they start using a lot more twelve. That happened to coincide with Fierman, No, you got that guy back. Yeah, that was Canada's plan anyway, you know, like maybe Tomlins was that was his plan from the beginning. I'm pretty sure the plan wasn't. Hey, Matt Canada, coach Canada, you get all the hard games and we'll give the easier ones to somebody else. Like, I don't think that was it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I I the other thing that really kind of it bothers me that people were celebrating somebody losing their job.
Speaker 3: I got fired, you know. I mean I use this example. My son went to school with Keith Haley's son. Act.
Speaker 2: Well, there you go, Keith Hale. I don't know who.
Speaker 3: He's a good dude. But anyway, riverboat captain interesting Okay, But anyways, Todd son couldn't go to school for a while, you know, like he was in like third grade being human beings? You know what are we doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's just it was a tough situation. That's why I felt bad from for Matt Canada because it's it. I don't believe that it was all Matt Canada's fault. No, the players have to execute one person's fault. I don't care what places you're calling if you don't execute them.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh, I can remember when we had J. T. Thomas on a couple of years ago at the he was out of training camp and and JT. Thomas telling us the Steelers defense in the seventies had basically three three plays, right right, Like that's all they did. That's all did because they.
Speaker 3: Were better, better, and they could shout.
Speaker 2: As they could shout across the line of scrimmage of the quarterbok, Hey we're cover two.
Speaker 3: Still, maybe we'll blitz Lambert this time, you know, maybe or whatever. Its side note, But like in those conversations, that's when we were people were lobbying to get Donnie Shell in the Hall of Fame. He's like, well, if they brought three receivers, Donnie would just be our nickel corner. There wasn't nickel corners back then, Like oh, okay.
Speaker 2: And and and that's what the offenses were. There wasn't all this scheming and like the quarterbacks calling the plays they had maybe, I honestly, how many plays do they have the court? Like May twenty five? You go into a game of twenty five plays, We're gonna run the same trap play here comes eighteen times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, and then again, and the defenses weren't diverse. Sometimes you bring a third, third receiver out. That was revolutionary start throwing the tight ends was revolutionary. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, I can remember Kevin Dotson when when he got drafted by the Steelers. One of the stories on him was that he would tell because he played at a small you know, a smaller du Yeah, Louisiana State States. He was at just yeah, flat louis It was just Louisiana.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He would tell the defensive lineman across room and what the what the play was coming, because I don't care, I was going to dominate him. Well, so you're saying, well that guy knew what was coming, you still have to stop it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, Like I'm sure Randy Johnson could go to the miners yeah, rehab and be like here comes the heater.
Speaker 2: He could do it in the majors too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but no, times are different. I mean, it's why we went down that rabbit hole. But it was kind of fun. It's a massive job. It's a complex job. I'm betting the product on the field is better. I don't know that the coaching will be better, And maybe it will be. We won't really know.
Speaker 2: What we have seen. Like I compared it to Joe Brady taking over the play calling duties this past week for the for the Buffalo Bills. Well, hey, the Bills went out there and they scored a bunch of points against the Jets and they won. Yeah, because quarterback didn't throw a bunch of interceptions. I guarantee you. The former offensive coordinator there was not telling Josh Allen, Hey, Josh, why don't you throw a couple to the other team this week? And just to make just to make it a little more challenging.
Speaker 3: They were third in DVOA and e p A when he got to let go. Yeah, you know, like that's what third best offenses in the league do.
Speaker 2: And sometimes these moves don't work, as we just saw with Frank Reich and Carolina. Absolutely, you turn it over to the other guy for three weeks and it doesn't get any better. And he says, you know what, if I'm going down, I'm going down calling my place.
Speaker 3: The grass isn't always greener. But I do think it was time to change the grass, you know. I mean it sounded like.
Speaker 2: I don't disagree. Something had to change. You couldn't continue to do the same thing that you've been.
Speaker 3: Doing because they don't complete enough.
Speaker 2: Don't complete enough passes. They're auly one hundred and eighty one yards rushing per game over the last three games.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah, that's you.
Speaker 2: That would lead the league by a lot, by a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean they're rocketing up all the lists and everything too. I mean they're that part of the offense isn't broken.
Speaker 2: From Yeah, but they don't complete enough passes.
Speaker 3: They do, and that has to change. Hopefully the new coaches in charge, the new input will make life easier on Kenny, or get him to let the ball go when open guys are there more or well.
Speaker 2: That's the conundrum. That's the conundrum here, Matt. You're averaging one hundred and eighty rushing yards per game. Life should be really easy for your quarterback in that situation.
Speaker 3: It really should be, and it hasn't been at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't do it, you can. He's averaged i think one hundred and twenty yards passing over the last three games, with them averaging one hundred and eighty yards rushing. And it's not because they're not throwing passes. It's because they're not completing enough passes.
Speaker 3: Completing enough passes. Yeah, they're getting the three hundred yards part, the hard part you're doing. Yeah, the one hundred and eighty part. Yeah, you should be about one hundred yard rushing two hundred yards passing to get the three hundred or whatever. But no, Picket needs to get better. Passing game needs to get better. Protection needs to get better than it was this past week. Maybe there will be ways to scheme more guys open, but I have not seen a lack of open receivers, especially over the last month or so.
Speaker 2: And what we're not privy to is what Picket has been told that we will know something, and we'll never know that in some of these situations coaching, Again.
Speaker 3: What are they instructing him to do as he thought? Assume he's just following orders or he wouldn't still be out there. Yeah, I'm telling I know, they aren't telling him to not complete passes.
Speaker 2: Right, just like the Bills weren't telling Josh Allen to throw interceptions right.
Speaker 3: Or bring a twelfth guy out to try to drop a block the extra point or whatever, a field goal. Whatever. Yeah, I do wonder, and again we'll never know this. This game day, prep, game week, prep change, you know, like, does their install periods different is probably to some.
Speaker 2: Degree, you know, well, you'll have different voices leading those meetings.
Speaker 3: With the offense and they're gonna see things a little different.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, typically when you see something like this is this is where it's going to be interesting because you now have Eddie Faulkner coordinating the offense, but Mike Sullivan calling it on game day.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was gonna ask you if you knew exactly how that is laid out. Are they considered co coordinators at the moment?
Speaker 2: I guess yeah, Yeah, I mean so you know, during the week, basically what Faulkner is going to be doing is running the staff and the way the Steelers come up with the game plan. Again, this wasn't just a Matt Canada thing. No, they all have everybody has their input a week.
Speaker 3: It's not just I sit around do nothing until the running backs come in the room and we coach them out. Yeah, they're they they're in charge of protection, they're in charge.
Speaker 2: Of so they all do their they all do their individual field film study, or they do it all together. They come up with a plan here's what we can execute with our guys, and then they go to the offensive coordinator. He comes up with the plan to Okay, here's here's where we're gonna sequences or you know in the end game stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean if you go, if you walk through the coaches area of a facility during the week, it's very very quiet. All the defensive coaches are in their room, you know, chewing and scratching and watching tape in a dark room, and all the offensive coaches are in their room unless it's press conference time or you know, like all the other time that we don't know about is almost always you know, in the room seven I mean like auld pit, there would be six or seven eight guys in the room, you know, the offense or NFL will be more. There's a bigger coaching staff, you know, you might have two defensive back coaches or whatever, and they're all in there, you know, putting their ideas together. They're watching their guys or watching the upcoming opponent and say, well we try this, we should do that. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that guys, that guy's the snickers bar. We need attack him.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. So everyone's job is gonna have to change a little bit, you know, because you've one less person, one less piece of the pie. But the pie the job is still the same size. Yeah, the week, So that's gonna be the interesting part. Of this and you know.
Speaker 2: It's going to be There'll be subtle differences, there's no doubt about it, no question, and in that that can help. We've seen situations where again where that has helped things. It makes the Steelers less predictable than they had been agreed.
Speaker 3: Agreed, so we see different types of motions where we see more play actions. Might Connor Hayward's snaps spike or I'm just making stuff up. Might Austin be out there more his role has been dropped more and more.
Speaker 2: Maybe not if they're going to run the ball the way they are agreed. That's Alan Robbins has been a big.
Speaker 3: Part of that tight end blocker guy. Yeah, that's why Austin's you know, stuff is down, you know, So it'll be interesting. Maybe there are bigger changes than I'm letting on, but I would be shocked.
Speaker 2: At this point. We just don't know. Oh until we see a couple of games. We won't even know after just watching against Cincinnati, not because you need at least a couple of games.
Speaker 3: Anything could be a Cincinnati specific game plan. Yeah, no matter what that they would plan in the day that they were playing on doing last Cincinnati game, like well we'll keep eighty percent of that and then we'll add something, you know whatever. So especially at division game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he just it's it's it's gonna be interesting, but it's definite gonna be interesting. To your point, again, let me just go over those numbering they've given up three point fifty four, fifteen two ninety two, four hundred two ninety four, three eighty four, four sixty three, seventeen five, forty four and four or five. They've given up nine hundred and forty nine yards and sixty four points the last.
Speaker 3: Two weeks, just the last two weeks.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's against Houston and Baltimore. Now two good teams.
Speaker 3: To good teams. But like when we talked about the Browns defense last week, we'd say things like, yeah, ab Arizona never quarterback, Tennessee's not very good. Well, these are the same teams, yeah, you know, I mean not every game is the same, but they're still the same teams more or less. And Cincinnati's defense is very disappointing this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's certainly not been what it was, certainly what it was supposed to be.
Speaker 3: Anyways, they allow a lot of explosives. They're not good on first downs. They have two new safeties that I think has been somewhat of the problem too. But I'm a little shocked that it's as blow average as it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna get to a break. He is Matt Williamson. I am Dale Lollie. You're listening to the Drive here on Steelers Nation Radio. We'll be back with more right after this.
Speaker 1: This is the Drive with Dale Lolly and Matt Williamson on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold in Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 2: Steeler fans, you can gear up with the latest sideline apparel, hats or jerseys of your favorite players, authentic memorobilia, custom items and exclusives you can only find directly from the team at one of the official Steelers pro shops. They're located to Deckracer Stadium, gro City and Premium Outlets or Tangle Outlets, or visit online at shop dot Steelers dot com. Matt, we mentioned this this Bengals defense. They're giving up three hundred and eighty six point one yards per game. There's actually two defenses worse than that, which is hardly it's the Chargers in the Broncos brutal the Broncos are still giving up four hundred yards total yards per game.
Speaker 3: They had won awful one, but they've had a lot about us too.
Speaker 2: The Bengals allow two hundred and forty seven point eight passing yards per game and one hundred and thirty eight point three rushing yards per game, So you could pretty much a lot of times when you see numbers like like if you look at, say the Chargers, people look at the Chargers and say, well, the Chargers a run defense. They're only giving up one hundred and tw rushing yards per game. They must have a good run defense, not necessarily because you're allowing two ninety one point six through the air. Teams are choosing not to run the ball as much against.
Speaker 3: You, you know, Like we talked about that a lot with the back to back Jags Titans games, that they excel stopping the run. Therefore teams throw against them more, you know, and they're kind of a pass funnel team. Now, sometimes you're as bad at both, which seems to be the case.
Speaker 2: With Cincinnati's the second worst run defense in the league. Now Denver's giving up one hundred and sixty rushing yards per game. They're dead last Cincinnati's what w one thirty eight point three, that's next to last, So there's a twenty two yard difference then between them and the next team. But here's the thing.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's still horrible.
Speaker 2: Five yards per carry, five yards per carry, Like people aren't just nickeling like this isn't Oh, they're just sticking with the run a lot, and you know, averaging four yards of carry against you know, five yards rushing per game.
Speaker 3: And sometimes when we look at some of those big numbers garbage time, they're just running like crazy or something like that. But this is they run the ball well against the Bengals. Yeah, and consistently.
Speaker 2: The one thing that they've done well, which is also the one thing that Denver has done well, if they forced ten fumbles.
Speaker 3: Well, what's really interesting is, I think everyone at this point knows the Steelers have been great with turnover differential. They're best in the league. But if you mimic, if you just go to turnover differential, the Bengals almost have the exact same numbers. Their turnover differential is only one less. They cause like one fewer interceptions. The offensive stuff, I think is exactly the same. Fumbles and interceptions are the same numbers. So they're living off that a little bit too, because the defense hasn't been good and their offense was really bad when when Burrow's not been himself, will put it that way.
Speaker 2: Denver's giving up five and a half yards per carry, by the way, that's I mean, that's just awful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they've ben a chance to help thank for that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But yeah, so five yards per carry. Those are the only two teams in the league allowing five or more yards rushing per game, or five more yards per carry per game. The Steelers are now at four point four yards rushing per game. I think over the over the last I looked at the number going into the last their previous three games. Going into the game against the Browns, it was three point eight yards per carry, and it went down from that one because the only gave up three point one yards. The defense.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, since Cam has been back, it's been very very good. Yeah, yeah, exactly. I think you're ting about steel offense against the Bengals defense, which also is going the right direction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that I mean some of the stuff they gave up some explosive runs early in the season, those are kind of gone away. Screen Bay had one that you know, but you know they've they've been pretty consistent with that. So you can run on this Bengals team, but you can also throw on this Bengals yea.
Speaker 3: And I don't think their defense as bad players.
Speaker 2: No, No, I don't think so either.
Speaker 3: I haven't wrapped my head around what is the big problem here, because it's not all boy they've been in the few too much or they've been hit hard by injuries.
Speaker 2: Not really.
Speaker 3: I mean it's not unusual.
Speaker 2: They're giving up eight yards per pass attempt, yeah, which is next to last. Yeah. The only team worse than that is the Chargers at eight point one. So it's the deep ball you're they're giving up deep stuff. Now, only thirteen touchdown passes allowed this year and they have twelve interceptions. The twelve interceptions was that second ty tight Yeah, tie for second. San Francisco leads with with fourteen. A big part of that has been the inside linebackers, Yes, getting their their hands on the ball, and they're good.
Speaker 3: They cover a lot of ground. Pratt and Wilson yeah players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I don't necessarily, but they've had issues covering tight ends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have. I know that in the fantasy world. They're like at the bottom the.
Speaker 2: League, bottom the league in that you know, obviously, Yeah, there's a lot of bad players.
Speaker 3: The defensive front's good. I mean, I'm not sure exactly what the issues are, but I will find out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a it's a complete disconnect. I mean, the Steelers pass defense has not been great this year. No, it's it's very middle of the package. Completion percentage is awesome. Yeah, fifty eight point fours tops towards.
Speaker 3: The top of the lake, and they take the ball away and they create.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've given up twelve touchdown passes eleven interceptions. Yeah, so I mean they're not giving up the touchdowns, no, but they're picking the ball off. But they're giving up some plays.
Speaker 3: But we know receivers have had big days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, not so much as recently though.
Speaker 3: No, Maury wasn't great, and you know, Hopkins wasn't great. I think Porter being in there has something to do with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, so they've cleaned up some of these things. Now it's just a.
Speaker 3: Matter of complete more pass completing.
Speaker 2: More passes and and maybe you got something. And I think that's I think that's when you when you start looking at why the Steelers made this move. Now, yes they're six, they could have looked a we're six and four, We're right in the mix of this thing. We're in good shape. But you don't want to keep living the way that you were living.
Speaker 3: It's a hard way to live. And frankly, I think they would be with an average NFL passing game. They're the eighth best team in the league, you know, something like that, maybe an eight and two team right now, or challenging for a division title with an average NFL passing game, you know, I mean that means protection, that means routes, quarterback, all the above.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I you know, and I look at what's happening right now in the AFC, and we'll get to a little a little bit more on this and when we do power rankings later. Does Kansas City look nearly as scary as it has in previous years.
Speaker 3: They don't think receivers that can catch.
Speaker 2: They don't have any receivers.
Speaker 3: Any receivers period. They do not.
Speaker 2: Even Patrick Mahomes can't elevate that passing game. Once you take once you take Kelsey out of the equation, it's a bunch of guys.
Speaker 3: And I wonder if Kelsey is losing a slight step and he seems to have off the field interest.
Speaker 2: Might be it might have might be a little distracted at this point.
Speaker 3: But still, I mean, I thought that was what happened to him last year when Tyreek got traded. I'm quadrupled.
Speaker 2: Well, now the teams are doing that. Yeah, they don't have Yeah, they don't have the receivers to beat it. They don't look particularly scary. We've seen the Ravens, the Steelers beat the Ravens. I'm just talking about teams in general. Oh yeah, yeah, Okay, I mean, yes, they're good, but they're not dominant.
Speaker 3: No, I mean the Bengals don't exist anymore.
Speaker 2: The Bengals are out. Like going into the season, the teams that you looked at that, okay, you got you got to get past Kansas City, you got to get past uh Cincinnati, you got to get past Buffalo. Those are the three big dogs in the a f C. Yeah, well two of them have been neutered. Yeah, I'm not sure the Bills are buried yet. I think the Bengals are buried. The Bengals are done.
Speaker 3: Bengals are done.
Speaker 2: The Bengals are done the Bills.
Speaker 3: Bills have to do miraculous stuff.
Speaker 2: They're gonna have to come up with, Like they still have to go to Philadelphia, they still get they still get to play Miami, they still get to play Kansas City, and they still have to play Dallas.
Speaker 3: No, that's the thing is they just dug too big a hole.
Speaker 2: Losing teams like New England and the Jets could be what keeps them out of the playoff picture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and a lot's going to change. And unfortunately we've seen, you know, watching injury, borrow injury, things like that that have changed things. But are the Browns a contender? I mean they're Jacksonville a contender, Miami a contender. Like I'm not saying to contend to get the dot.
Speaker 2: I don't know that those teams are markedly there. I don't know that they're markedly better than the Steelers.
Speaker 3: If the Steelers complete more passes.
Speaker 2: The bit just works all week.
Speaker 3: Fortunately for our listeners only a three day week, five days. I would drive them.
Speaker 2: If they could only see us here every time, you know, we do it. It's just but they could really stand the complete more passes. They really need to go to complete more if if they if they just to your point, if it's just an NFL average passing game, if you can strive to get average, they would be a really hard team, especially run the ball the way that they are exactly. I mean, if everything else is in place, and yeah, you'll have some injuries, but you also get Minka back, and if all that stuff says reasonably even and Boz still makes kicks, the defense is dangerous. Yeah, the running game is dangerous. Yeah, rookies keep getting better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you could have an average passing game, you would be a good team. Yeah, top ten type of team.
Speaker 2: So, I mean that's what I think Mike Tomlin was looking at here, like we just need to find a way.
Speaker 3: To Yeah, we need to complete more passes.
Speaker 2: So you know, if they can do that, like even like people talk about Miami like there's something like like, yeah, they're good. They just scored twenty one points again at home against the Raiders.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people are starting to figure out the offense. And they are a finesse team, you know, like they're not going to bully you and just run the ball down your throat over and over and over. They will Schematically, you.
Speaker 2: Can do that to them. Yeah, yeah, you can bully them a little bit offensively and keep them off the field.
Speaker 3: I know they haven't but I think on their best day they could beat anyone. But they haven't come.
Speaker 2: They haven't done it. They haven't done.
Speaker 3: It at all. I mean that's worrisome for sure.
Speaker 2: You know, when I looked at they're they're they're trumpeting beating the Raiders as being a big win.
Speaker 3: I don't think the Raiders are good. Yeah out there you like to me, the Niners are scary, right, you know the Niners could.
Speaker 2: Be Well, that's the thing, all the all the scary teams.
Speaker 3: I think Dallas can be scary. I think Phillies still figuring things out. But then one loss Kansas City.
Speaker 2: And Dallas, to me though, is still kind of in the same boat as Miami. They haven't beaten anybody.
Speaker 3: They beat bad teams badly, and they don't beat the good ones.
Speaker 2: I mean, I look at this now. You know, before beating the big win against the five and five Raiders, Miami's signature win was over the.
Speaker 3: Chargers, which looked better then than now.
Speaker 2: It doesn't look good now. Yeah, you know, if you look at who they when they've lost games or when they've played teams you know with the winning records. Lost forty eight twenty to Buffalo, they lost thirty one seventeen to Philadelphia. They lost twenty one to fourteen to Kansas City. You know, they eked out. It was a twenty to thirteen win over the Raiders. That offense. Everybody looked at that seventy point point game at Ysome. Yeah, you know, coming off of the you know, Week one, they'd scored thirty six against the Chargers. We now know the Chargers defense. That was the worst matchup in the world for the Chargers.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, we just talked about that last night.
Speaker 2: They can't they can't cover anybody.
Speaker 3: No, it's horrible. And plus if you lose some of your advantages with the Miami heat and things like that early in the season, and your speed diminishes as the season goes on, just from wear and tear. Yeah, I mean, and I do think because they're such a unique offense, people have figured it out a little. I just don't. I have respect for the Dolphins. I think they have done some really good things. I like their head coach, but I'd be shocked if they go on a playoff run. You got to beat these teams they've talked about.
Speaker 2: Well. The other thing is, I know when the Steelers went down there last year and when of Kenny Pickt's first starts, just sixteen to ten game, Yeah, and the Steelers were throwing into the end zone twice in the last four minutes of that game with an opportunity to win it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was one that slipped away. I mean, there was two or three of those AFC games last year where you looked at and like, easily could have won, should have won at least one of them.
Speaker 2: And so while I respect Miami, yeah, yeah, they don't, I'm not. I'm not. If I'm the Steelers, I'm not afraid of going into Miami and playing them again.
Speaker 3: No, neither me neither.
Speaker 2: So so that to me is the entire AFC playoff field. Yeah, I don't want to go to Kansas City.
Speaker 3: Kansas City is still frightening because of what they've done in the past, and.
Speaker 2: That place is tough to play. But I don't. If I'm the Steelers, I don't fear going to Baltimore. I do that twice a year.
Speaker 3: No, and I think Baltimore might be the best team in the AFC. I mean maybe, but they seem to slip up more than they should too.
Speaker 2: They can't hold leads.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's a fatal flaw for them right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know that's a problem.
Speaker 3: And if we were on Baltimore would be like, hold more leads, complete more passes.
Speaker 2: Well, it might be complete more passes. That's going to be a problem for them. Now without Andrews, that's Lamars will be.
Speaker 3: That's a big, big loss. Likely we'll do some good things.
Speaker 2: But he's not. Yeah, he's not Andrews.
Speaker 3: And he can't do the exact same stuff with them.
Speaker 2: So the AFC playoff race right now, to me, just get in. Oh yeah, I agree, Just get in and and anything could happen. This is this is going to be a one through seven. You know, even assuming the Browns make it. The Browns might be the only team that I would really be shocked if they made if if we said last week, this is the seven teams that are in there right now. Yeah, we ago a week ago, which includes the division leaders and then Cleveland, Houston and Pittsburgh. We thought that was going to be the playoff field. Any of those teams could make a run to the super Bowl except maybe Cleveland because of the quarterback situation. They could win a game.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they could be really hard for to play.
Speaker 2: But as we noted yesterday day, their defense isn't as good on the road as at home. They would need to win the division.
Speaker 3: I think we haven't talked much about the upcoming schedule, but they're a two and a half to three point dog in Denver this week. Yeah, you know, like it wouldn't shock me if they lose to Denver, who's playing pretty well. Yeah, you know, so, I have great respect for where Cleveland's at, especially defensively, and they deserve to win that game. But that you sign Joe Flacco, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Kind of tell you. It kind of tells you what they think of the the young quarterback.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The offense is told together with its m a guvert up with duct tape, and you know, so that worries me. But they could beat any team given, no question.
Speaker 2: Can they Can they string together three wins to get to the super Bowl? Probably not?
Speaker 3: Probably not. I don't think they can. But interesting stuff. I think Jacksonville and Houston are interesting too. I think those organizations are moving the right direction.
Speaker 2: Well, they got a huge game against each other this week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they played for the division lead this week. I think both could get in. I mean if the Steelers don't complete more passes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think right now as things stand right now, I don't think and I know that both would be in.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, they are the Bills.
Speaker 2: And I would consider both of those two teams that if they got hot, yeah, could make a run at it.
Speaker 3: Could. I don't love the youth, you know, of the quarterback and stuff. I think this is the year you learn how to win for them and then next year you pick them to maybe go you know, both those teams, but they are trending the right direction. I think Houston might be coach of the Year candidate, you know. And people that were worried about Lawrence I thought were crazy. I mean, and he came out looked great this past week. So those teams are trending the right direction.
Speaker 2: As Trevor Lawrence is one and four in his career against Houston, is he really one in four? Houston hasn't been good. Yeah, in those years time they might that division might be turning into a rock paper scissors.
Speaker 3: Then, Yeah, I don't think Tennantse's.
Speaker 2: Indianapolis can't win in Jacksonville no matter what their record is. When I was thinking of the Titans always beat the Colts.
Speaker 3: Titans the Yeah, yeah, there's a lot of that going on. And there's a lot of new quarterbacks, so maybe that's changing, or maybe it's gona set and sowne.
Speaker 2: But I just I mean, for what we thought the AFC playoff picture was going to look like when the season began, now not so much.
Speaker 3: Chargers are shot.
Speaker 2: Chargers are out of it.
Speaker 3: Bengals are out of it. Yeah, right, and that's that's the surprising stuff. Bengal Bills stuff is really surprising. Chargers is rather surprising. Yeah, it could be out of it in November twenty.
Speaker 2: First, Yeah, that's the next I mean to me, if if Baltimore goes out there this week and rolls them, there could be there could be a coaching changing.
Speaker 3: We had a good conversation on the podcast about I brought up three teams that might take the raider route and promote somebody that's rather qualified from within to see if you want to keep them. Yeah, and I think McCown with the Panthers is a maybe. I think the enemy with Washington could absolutely happen, and their schedule going forward is awful, and I think the Chargers are the most likely. I don't love Kellen Moore, but he gets his name is thrown.
Speaker 2: I'm not good. I'm a good defensive on that thing.
Speaker 3: In terms of next year's higher I think would. But at least my thought was, if you're an owner and sitting here on November twenty first, deep down you're like, I'm going to fire this guy, you know, I mean, there's a ninety eight percent chance that he doesn't make it past Black Monday. Why not at least see if the enemy.
Speaker 2: Here's the problem with those kinds of things, And this is this is why Dan Rooney always never one of the He was completely against firing somebody in the middle of a season, because if you bring in an interim guy, what if the interim guy does well, now there's going to be pressure on you to you may you may know he's not the guy you didn't think he was the guy. The team catches fire a little bit because, for example, as we just talked about, now all of a sudden, your schedule he's is up in your playings. So now there's going to be some pressure to keep that guy as the coordinator or the head coach or whatever it may be.
Speaker 3: Right, That's why I don't think the Bears do it, you know, but those teams, those guys at least have interviewed for head jobs before, you know. That's why I think if I can learn more about the enemy or whomever, it's better than having less data on the guy. But like I was part of one in Cleveland when Butch got high who got fired? None of us thought that anyone in the staff was coming back every like Another good recent example is when Gruden got let go and they put in Versacia Rich and they had spark in life. But he's a lifetime Special Teams.
Speaker 2: And that's kind of what happens sometimes, you know that you catch a little well, it's it's a change. The Raiders are good for that, and and so you go, you win a few games, and then there's pressure to keep that guy.
Speaker 3: Even though deep down you think he's a special Teams code.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, so, which I think it was with Yeah anyway, so yeah, I think that you know, the AFC playoff race is open. Win this game this week.
Speaker 3: By the one you got a complete more pass.
Speaker 2: Completely more passes win this one. Your next you know, you don't play you don't play a team with a winning record. For the next five games, you have five games in a row against teams with losing records.
Speaker 3: I noticed the Bengals of the opposite everyone on their schedule is five hundred and above. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so when you know, win four or five of these games, get on a little bit of a role here going. You know, if you can win at least four of them, now you're sitting at ten wins. You go in going into those games against Seattle in Baltimore, and you're probably going to be in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can get to ten before those two games you're probably in.
Speaker 2: You're in. So you go win this one, complete more passes, win these games, get yourself into the tournament, and see where it goes.
Speaker 3: And I hate to say it this way, because if the Steelers passing game on Sunday is as bad as it was last Sunday, they could still beat the Bengals.
Speaker 2: They could. I mean, they could run for two hundred and fifty yards in this game and yeah, completely strangle like South Cincinnati scoring exactly.
Speaker 3: They don't turn the ball away in that game. If the passing game is just as bad. Yeah, I mean that.
Speaker 2: Would be tough, but that would be discouraging.
Speaker 3: That would be very discouraging.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're gonna get to a break. He is Matt Williamson. I am Dale Lolly. You're listening to the Drive here on Steelers Nation Radio. We will be back with more right after this.
Speaker 1: This is the Drive with Dale Lolly and Matt Williamson on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back. I'm Dale Lolly. He is the Matt Williamson and Matt As you can imagine, a lot of the questions today to Mike Tomlin at his news conference dealt with the change at offensive coordinator. But Mike Tomlin also dropping a little news Minka Fitzpatrick looks like there's a chance that he could definitely play this week. Same with montrevious Adams.
Speaker 3: Good good, good good. I think Adams. They've made up for the loss of Adams very very well.
Speaker 2: It'd be nice to have another guy to put in the mix, though.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I really liked how he was playing pre injury. I thought louder Milk had a really good game, maybe his best game as a Steeler, and I keep talking about him Watts. I think Watts has been a better version of Warmley.
Speaker 2: This He might be one of the it's one of the better defensive line groupings that they've had.
Speaker 3: I agree, I agree, And I think it's nice that you're not asking Cam and Ogunjobi to play ninety five percent of snaps and bent and you just want to keep getting him out there more and more and more.
Speaker 2: That's going to be a star.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so too. And I don't know if they're down on him, but Leal's kind of been the forgotten guy. He's like a four or five snap of dude, a game guy now, and I think he's just kind of getting.
Speaker 2: Others are playing bad.
Speaker 3: I say, I don't think he's bad, it's just the others are stepping up. Yeah, more trustworthy at the moment.
Speaker 2: You know, So that that's uh, you know, and then you get making Fitzpatrick back. You know, they signed Trenton Thompson to their active roster.
Speaker 3: That was about to say, what if Trenton Thompson's a good third safety? Yeah, like that'd be great.
Speaker 2: Great, Yeah again, somebody got for free.
Speaker 3: Any thoughts on Neil He's on I R Oh, they did put him on IR Yeah, so that's gonna be a while, Okay, gotcha.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I mean they need something there.
Speaker 3: You know, Killerbrew played eighteen snaps or so, yeah, he should be playing eighteen snap special.
Speaker 2: You definitely need to get make a Fitzpatrick back. They also signed Eric Rowe put him on their practice squad this week. Jack Miles, jack backer. They met another practice squad signing today of a of another defensive back, which kind of yeah, they're they're searching for something there, understandable, you know, just this one's just kind of another body, but you know, just you need some defensive back. Henry Black was signed to their practice squad. They released linebacker Tyler Murray. He tells me that they're they're now happy with what they have an inside linebacker.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't know if you caught this, but I bet most of our audience didn't. The only linebackers that played in the game were Roberts Are every snap and Walker for like three quarters of the snaphing like that. Robinson didn't play a stap on defense. Yeah, so I think that tells you a lot of what they think of him. But maybe Jack will be your third guy.
Speaker 2: Well, he would have to be I mean, he has to be activated from that. And Robinson still plays special teams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so you know he seems to be pretty much a fixture on special teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this year, So there's that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's it's they.
Speaker 2: Certainly you have to keep looking there and you can. And one of the big moves in the league today was Shaq Leonard being released by the Indianapolis Colts. And you texted me about it, and uh, I said, I'd kick the tires on it, and I started looking a little more into it. A he's making you're not going to claim him on waivers because he's making a ton of.
Speaker 3: Money, and assume that's the biggest reason they let him go, you know, so to pay the rest of this.
Speaker 2: I think it's fully guaranteed. They're still not fully guaranteed. If there's a lot of guaranteed money there.
Speaker 3: Because he's like the richest linebacker contract out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe they're hoping somebody claims him because it's not you know, you're not paying the signing bonuses and that those kind of things. Uh, but I can't see that happening. So you wait for him to clear waivers. You could get him on the cheap, But I just don't know what he has left now to.
Speaker 3: Say he had a major injury. Was it a neck or a back?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had He's had a couple of back issues.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he was really really good before that. Why why he signed this monster deal because he deserved it. He was a leader of the defense, flies around the field. But he's had a hard time staying on the field for them this year, not because of injury, because of you know, playing time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's not as good as at least they don't feel he's as good as the other guys.
Speaker 3: Now he's not.
Speaker 2: That being said, there was a coaching change there, true, so maybe he just didn't fit into what that coaching staff wants to do defense.
Speaker 3: Like possibly I haven't dug in their scheme enough, but maybe that's not a fit for them. I do. I do know they structure themselves like the Eagles, and the Eagles don't put line in the backer money. They don't care about linebackers. Yeah, it's low on the list for sure, So who knows. I mean, I would be interested if he cleared waivers and you could bring him in here and kick the tires on him and really good leader, great head for the game, all that stuff still there. But I don't think he is what he used to be. But maybe none of us are. Yeah, maybe it would be next year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we just all know. He's still twenty eight years old. You know, came out in that same draft as making Fitzpatrick. So yeah, I mean I would, I would be interested in it at the right price. I'm certainly not interested in doing that and claiming him and having to pay him another six I think six million dollars rest this year.
Speaker 3: No, his tape is underwhelming this year. Look, he's coming back from injury, and who knows if he ever will be back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if nobody claims him and maybe he winds up in Buffalo or somewhere like that.
Speaker 3: But could could be.
Speaker 2: I mean, they're they're really hurting at linebacker, even more so than the Steelers.
Speaker 3: There's plenty of teams out there that would I think would be interested at the situation we laid out. Yeah, but in terms of inheriting the contract.
Speaker 2: And I'm not I'm not interested in getting into a bidding war for him either. Now, one thing that might interest Shack Leonard for coming here. He's not Shack instead of Darius used. That's who we're talking about, is Darius Leonard. He now goes by Shack Colts by the way, folks, Yeah, the Steelers played the Colts in a few weeks.
Speaker 3: I'm sure you wouldn't mind that. Yeah, it'd be good for some intel as well, probably, But super smart guy. You know, I loved the player before this season. Yeah, you so rarely does that kind of thing happen, you know, just a pretty much.
Speaker 2: I mean really, a couple of years ago, when you know we're talking about t J. Watt winning Defensive Player of the Year, Shack Leonard was one of the guys who was in the running that year. He was in contention.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's that type of dude. So interesting do you think Jack gets in the mix?
Speaker 2: Depends on what kind of shapey, I don't. I don't know what kind of I haven't seen him. I haven't laid eyes on him yet, so I have no idea. You know, we'll see him tomorrow for the first time and get it. You know, what's he been doing? And he was talking about going to plumber school for so.
Speaker 3: Was Yeah, didn't it didn't see that one coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know that he's the answer and all you know to your linebacker problems either, but he'd fit in quickly mentally.
Speaker 2: I mean, the defense hasn't changed. He knows that there's no problem with that.
Speaker 3: Physically, he could still do it. I'd be interested.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just don't know that you know how that work workd You know, I kind of like what Michael Walker brings to you in terms of a little bit more rangy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he is, he is, and I didn't think he played great. But it's also his first real game back too, you know, so we'll see. But you're also thin, Yeah, you're very thin there. What if Roberts you know, yeah, God forbid that happen. He was, He was all over the field.
Speaker 2: And it just shows it shows you how much of that position is above the neck.
Speaker 3: So much, so much, and when you can have both you turn into roque or war or whatever, but above the neck goes a long way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean he's just diagnosing things and tackling those backs in the flat on the path like he just he would just you know, made play after playing that game.
Speaker 3: He's physical and aggressive and he handled every snap.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, so played well for the Steelers this year. He just can't afford to lose him at this point with some of the other losses that you've had. He is Matt Williamson. I am Dale Lally. You're listening to the Driver. You're on Steelers Nation Radio. We're gonna take another break. We'll be back with our number two of the Drive right after this.