Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we could listen to ESPN's Big Three of l Duncan, Andrea Carter and Cheneo Guomuk talk women's.
Speaker 2: Hoops all day.
Speaker 1: Actually we did all weekend long Couch Hoops, Big Three Sleep Repeat. It's Monday, March twenty fourth, and on today's show, we'll be unpacking the first weekend of March Madness, celebrating streaks on the court and in the water, and reminding ourselves that old people have dreams too. It's all coming up right after this welcome back slices. Here's what you need to know today to college hoops, where March Madness is officially underway. The opening rounds on NCAA Women's Tournament first six teams hitting the one hundred point mark in one round, the most lopsided victory coming in Yukon's one o three to thirty four win over Arkansas State. The biggest upset of the first round was thanks to number ten Oregon defeating number seven Van Built seventy seven to seventy three in overtime. Oregon actually had a nineteen point lead in the second half, but the Commodores clawed their way back, with Leilani Kappanis tying the game with four seconds left. Oregon ended up getting knocked out on Sunday and the second round, losing to Duke fifty nine to fifty three. We got more free basketball on Sunday, with number five Kansas State and number four Kentucky meeting overtime to find a winner. Kansas State eked out the eighty to seventy nine upset, ending the spectacular college career of Kentucky's Georgia Amoor. More on her later in the show. We are recording this before the very last of Sunday's games conclude, so we'll make sure to get you caught up on even more second round action in tomorrow show. More college hoops in Division three. NYU's wind streak continues.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: We mentioned the Violets last week, and here we are again. They won their second straight NCAA title on Saturday, defeating Smith seventy seven to forty nine to cap off another undefeated season.
Speaker 2: NYU has now.
Speaker 1: Won sixty two straight games, the eighth longest win streak in NCAA women's basketball across all divisions. Now, it is worth noting that NYU did miss out on one historic mark. The men's team at the school also made the NCAA Championship game, so they could have become the first school to win both the women's and men's basketball championships in the same season, but the men's team ended up losing in the final to Trinity College sixty four to sixty, losing a four point lead in the final minute and a half. Still super impressive to get both teams to the final. To the NWSL, where we already have an early candidate for goal of the Year thanks to Seattle's Jordan Bug, who scored the game winner in the rains two to one win over the North Carolina Courage on Saturday. Now, it wasn't just Bug's first ever NWSL goal, it was also the defender's second ever shot on goal in the regular season, and it was a butte go and find it. The eighteen year old Bug signed with the Rain last summer. Meantime, the rains first goal in that game came from a longtime player, Jess Fishlock, and she also made a little NWSL history. So per opt to Sports, Fishlock is now the only player to contribute to at least one goal in all twelve NWSL seasons, and the goal came in her two hundredth career game.
Speaker 2: Hell of a way to celebrate two hundo to college hockey.
Speaker 1: In Friday's NCAA Women's hockey semi final, Ohio State defeated Mike Cornell Big Red four to two and Wisconsin defeated Minnesota six to two to set up Sunday's NCAA championship game. This marked the third straight time that Wisconsin and Ohio State met in the final, and it was a chaotic conclusion. Wisconsin ended up winning four to three in overtime. Alex is going to give us all the deats on that game in Segment two, also got a shout out Wisconsin's Casey O'Brien, who was named this year's recipient of the Patti Casmier Award. She's the sixth Badger to receive the honor annually given to the top Division one women's hockey player. If you want to hear more about Casey, you can listen to our episode with college hockey writer Nicole Hose from Friday. She broke down a bit of the best of her game to the PWHL. The New York Sirens might be last in the PWHL standings, but forward Abbey Rock was on top of the highlight reel this weekend, scoring a Michigan style goal against the Ottawa Charge, the first Michigan goal in PWHL history.
Speaker 2: Now, if you're not.
Speaker 1: Familiar, a Michigan goal is when a player is coming from behind the net and uses the toe of their stick blade to drag the puck up and around the goal and tuck it into the net above the goalie shoulder. These are particularly flashy goals every single time, and this was no different.
Speaker 2: We'll link to the video in our show notes.
Speaker 1: To alpine skiing, Lindsay Vaughn recorded the first podium finish of her comeback on Sunday, finishing second in the Super G at the World Cup Finals in Sun Valley, Idaho. Swiss skier Laura Gutebarami won the race one point twenty nine seconds ahead of Vaughn. With the finish, the forty year old Vaughn absolutely shattered the women's record for oldest podium finisher. The previous record holder was thirty four years old when she set the mark. Shout out to Vaughan for reminding us yet again that old people can dream. Too to the w UNBA, where the twenty twenty five schedule is here. The season tips off on May seventeenth with a double header. First up, the New York Liberty will lift their championship banner at Barclays before taking on the Las Vegas Aces. Then we'll get a battle between the Chicago Sky and Indiana Fever. Speaking of the Fever, Indiana will appear on national television in forty one of its forty four games. Now, we'll talk more schedule, highlights, and venue changes that have been announced to accommodate big crowds for Kaitlin Clark, Angel Reese and Moore in a future episode. In the meantime, we'll just link to the schedule in the show notes. To swimming, the University of Virginia won its fifth straight Swimming and Diving National championship over the weekend. The Cavaliers are now tied with the Stanford Cardinal for most consecutive NCAA titles in the sport. Stanford won five straight from ninety two to ninety six. To Soccer Up North aka the Northern Super League, all six clubs in Canada's league revealed their home jerseys ahead of kickoff next month, and just off first glance, my brain is going Ottawa rapid FC. I love that bird logo and I feel like the sort of checks and criss crosses will look great on the field. And I'm also really digging the logo for the Halifax Tides. The jersey itself's a little boring, but the logo with the waves and the moon and stuff looks pretty rad. Jury's still out on the roses and the collar jersey.
Speaker 2: Look I don't have to see how that looks on the field.
Speaker 1: I think producer Alex was right in saying there was a real missed opportunity that none of these teams have a Canadian tuxedo jersey. Maybe that'll be their alternate. We'll link to the kits in our show notes and you could take a look and see what you like. We gotta take a quick break when we come back. Weird Juice and Big Citrus joins me to talk a big weekend of college hoops and an exciting final in college hockey.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, y'all. Wow, how blessed are we?
Speaker 1: We got a weekend of just women's sports, on women's sports, on women's sports.
Speaker 3: It made me think about my old breaking t shirt, which is you know, seeing a couple of lives at this point the put women's sports on TV.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I'm like, I need have TVs. Yes, thank you that shirt.
Speaker 1: It's like you did the thing with the sports now I need to do the thing with the TV exactly exactly. Why did it just sound like Bill Cosby? What's the pudding?
Speaker 2: That's problematic? Okay, my brain might be a little broken.
Speaker 1: From the big weekend of women's sports, but let's talk a little bit about what we saw. I'm gonna leave it to you, Alex to kick us off with the hockey game that I mean, if you want to talk about a good finish, you want to talk about a way to close a season and leave people excited for next year.
Speaker 2: Man, try to even sum up.
Speaker 1: What happened on Sunday in that NCAA Women's college hockey final, which only would have been better obviously if Cornell wasn't it in one of course, of.
Speaker 3: Course I'm gonna focus in on the final couple minutes of the game. So Ohio State was leading three two, Wisconsin trying their best to find the equalizer, and Ohio State ends up getting a too many players on the ice call having to serve a penalty. During that they had a violation on the ice where player it appeared that she had covered the puck in the crease not allowed, so Wisconsin got the choice penalty shot or do you want Ohio State to serve a minor penalty? And I love this moment. You can see Mark Johnson, Wisconsin's coach, on the bench, his lips are saying who wants it? And Kirsten Sims apparently shouted the loudest I.
Speaker 2: Do gut check time, sphincter time.
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly exactly. And then Wisconsin goes on to win in ot and just I don't know. This is why I think I love hockey. It can be anyone's game at any moment. You know.
Speaker 1: Also, if you're not a big hockey fan, I can't recommend enough watching games like this where there's no timeouts, there's no free throws, you can't slow it down, you can't try to like strategize your way out of it. The last couple minutes of a hockey game are probably the most exciting of any sport. Wow, you can pull a goalie and you know, I mean, it is balls to the wall.
Speaker 2: It is ovaries to the I don't even know. Nothing rhymes with ovaries. It is fallopian tubes to the groveries.
Speaker 1: No, no, it doesn't work. We're gonna have Hey slices. Good game play of the day. We need a women's substitute for balls to the wall tits to the turf. As you all can hear, Misha is both sick and had a big weekend, so even her cough sounds like she's almost dead to.
Speaker 4: The He almost took me out with that one.
Speaker 1: You almost too, honestly, the turf or in this case, tits to the ice. I mean, it is so fun to watch when it comes down to it in hockey games. So congrats to Wisconsin. I'm pulling that one out at the end. And I do think that maybe if we can get confirmation alex on someone raising their hand and saying I want it and fit fishing that one off, that might be a good game. Hall of Fame honoree. That's the kind of lure we should all know. Is like title on the line, who wants it, hand raised buries it.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, I want to almost survey coaches and see who has in that moment called on a player to do it, and how many coaches instead ask their players, hey, who wants to take it?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: I think of the nineteen ninety nine Women's World Cup Brandy Chestain that very famous moment, and she was originally supposed to be sixth on that list, and she ended up getting called up to fifth. Like she didn't raise her hand in that situation. She kind of got approached and said, hey, can you actually kick it with your other foot?
Speaker 2: And she was like, okay, fine, yeah I got this. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean that's the kind of player I think we all want to be one that the coach says, Okay, the weight of a nation is on your shoulders.
Speaker 2: Who do we think we could trust? Let's go to you, not me, not me.
Speaker 3: I've thought about it.
Speaker 5: You don't think you want that. You don't want that pressure out. That's not your vibe.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 4: I feel like I would trust you under pressure.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I trust myself with an athletic feet under okay, should trust myself with other feets under pressure.
Speaker 2: Trivia final round. It all comes down to this, Oh boy, it's just songs. It's not about men's sports, Okay.
Speaker 1: So hockey gave us an incredible finish. We're still early in the women's basketball tournament, but we are getting some incredible, incredible games, some incredible performances.
Speaker 2: Some absolute brutal beat down.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I do have to say though, there is clearly more parody. There is more excitement in the early rounds than we've seen in years past, and it's only going to get better from here for sure. We mentioned in previous shows the lowest seed ever to win an NCAA women's basketball tournament has been a number three seed. It feels like every year we're going to be expanding, though. How many teams we believe have a real shot at it this year, as we're filling out our brackets is very clear we're like not convinced of any one team.
Speaker 2: There's four or.
Speaker 1: Five that could reasonably really take it, And after watching the first couple of days of games, there is a lot.
Speaker 2: There's a lot.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna start with my just takeaways from the first round. I had a couple of players I wanted to shout out, and then I had a couple teams slash takeaways from bigger picture that I wanted to shout out. So number one just a really cool story Maggie Dugan from eighth seed Richmond. She on her birthday absolutely put her team on her shoulders to route ninth seed at Georgia Tech seventy four forty nine.
Speaker 2: That's an eight to nine matchup.
Speaker 1: Okay, and Maggie Dugan on her birthday thirty points, fifteen rebounds and six.
Speaker 2: Ass that's just stupid.
Speaker 4: That's birthdays, right.
Speaker 1: But the only thing I feel bad about is like, you know how, like you get later in life and people are like, what's your all my favorite birthday and you're like, oh, it's so hard to pick.
Speaker 2: There's so many. She's just that's it. Oh yeah, immediately try to top that immediately.
Speaker 5: And no other person, no significant other, no family member, no surprise party will ever even come close.
Speaker 1: Unless you get married or have a child on your birthday. And even then it'd be a real to thirty points, fifteen boards and six times in an NCAA tournament game. Okay, So Maggie Dugan shouts to that, that just birthday ball, and.
Speaker 2: I love that. Another one that stood out to me was Jordan Hobbs.
Speaker 1: Okay, Jordan Hobbs out of Michigan, Michigan beat Iowa State in the first round eighty to seventy four. Jordan ties the Michigan single game record for most points in a tournament game with twenty eight. That's great, but I think bigger than that is that Jordan Hobbs had something like seven total points in three or four tournament games before this total combined, Like this is someone who was you know, gave her best I'm sure didn't amount too much in the box score, and then comes out in this game and puts up twenty eight, an all time Michigan record in a tournament game. I love the idea of stepping up on the biggest stage, like we were just talking about, put the team on your shoulders, and you're going against Audie Crooks, You're going against a team that can get it done, and she helps lead Michigan to that win. Again, just a cool story of stepping up when it matters most. And then speaking of that, Georgia Amore Kentucky did not look great in that first game. They gave up a seventeen point lead in the fourth one by one point over Liberty seventy nine to seventy eight, but they would not have won that game if not for a thirty four point two rebound, eight assist game from Georgia Amore career over, we'll get into that after losing in the second round, but that first round game was a perfect example of a team that depended so much on one player. Everyone knew it was going to be her, and she got it done anyway. And just shouts to Georgia Amore. She's not part of a program that we talked about as much, but I know a lot of w folks are real excited to see her come into the pros. The last one I know, I only said three, but just Juju, I'm very interested in just how healthy Juju Watkins is. Obviously, that usc first round game was a pretty easy one, even though they didn't look good. She had a decent stat line, even though it wasn't impressive for her, and she kind of downplayed it at the end of the game.
Speaker 2: Oh, no, one wants to hear about my injuries. But it was like, you hurt multiple things in one game.
Speaker 1: You tried to wrap up something and you immediately took the tape off and threw it back at the benchroom.
Speaker 2: And you're like, no, thank you on this. So I'm just I'm keeping an eye on Juju because she's.
Speaker 1: Gonna need to be a lot healthier and more effective later in the tournament.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, she's got a last.
Speaker 5: She's got a last like you just talked about Georgia Amore Kentucky, and I'll get into, like you said, her career ending and ooh drama. But Juju, you know, I think I talked about it on the show.
Speaker 4: They put a lot of eggs in the Juju basket.
Speaker 2: The Trojans ud So she's gonna it's a big basket. It's a big basket.
Speaker 1: But if there's holes in the basket, the eggs can fall through, and that's where this metaphor does. Okay, my couple bigger picture takeaways. I'm gonna fully admit it, y'all. I've been sleeping on Duke. I've been sleeping on Duke. I'm just saying, like, I'm just gonna admit it. I've been stuck in a lot of the teams that have, you know, bigger names, bigger stories, like just I don't know, I don't know what I've been doing, but do Duke.
Speaker 2: Good lord. There were a lot of beatdowns in.
Speaker 1: The first round, but eighty six to twenty five and not just that they only allowed Lehi to score twenty five points.
Speaker 2: They forced thirty turnovers. Oh my gosh, that's mean.
Speaker 1: It is mean to force more turnovers than points score. Okay, Duke, I was not familiar and now I am ready and congratulations.
Speaker 2: I mean that's just a beatdown.
Speaker 1: Speaking of beatdowns, Yukon, it's not that we're surprised, but I do have to say.
Speaker 2: That was a machine.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent from two point from the field in the first quarter. Absolutely like everybody firing on all cylinders, that Ukon team. Roger Sherman, who we've mentioned on the show before, just a great writer, a great freelance guy, now wrote on Blue Sky I could tell that Yukon is ready to win national championships again because they have recommitted to liquefying their first round opponents into a slurry. Yes, that about sums it up like that was ugly in the best possible way, just absolutely efficient.
Speaker 2: And then the last.
Speaker 1: Takeaway I mentioned it in the Need to Know, but this is the first time in history that six teams have scored over one hundred points in a single round in the women's college basketball Tournament Texas, Yukon, LSU Notre Dame Tennessee all one hundred plus points club for the first round. This is just a game that's changing. It's really fun to watch. It's not just parody. It's not just superstars, it's not just investment and ni on all everything else.
Speaker 2: It's just quality of play. And you are seeing some teams just put it together. Yeah.
Speaker 1: That to me, those are the big takeaways from the first round. I know we're only part way through the second round, meache, but what did you see on Sunday that really stood out to you?
Speaker 2: Ugh?
Speaker 5: So much, so much their first of all, we already talked about Georgia Amore and Kentucky number five Kansas State comes into their house, Kentucky's house and put together what I think is probably one of the most entertaining games we've gotten in the entire tournament so far. Eked out that win eighty seventy nine did the Kansas State Wildcats because it was wild Cats Squared. If I was calling that game, I would have been so stressed because you.
Speaker 1: Know, also back to back one point games for Kentucky fans like.
Speaker 2: How are y'all not okay?
Speaker 4: Not good?
Speaker 2: They probably sound like you right by the way, how was that wedding?
Speaker 1: It was in addition to two million merry games and a Bacheler app party, annihearsal dinner and the plague.
Speaker 2: It was like are you are you okay? No?
Speaker 4: But I will be, but I will be.
Speaker 5: And frankly, it would be worse if everything wasn't positive, you know, yeah, but yeah. Back to K State in Kentucky had to go to overtime to get that one decided. Serena Sundell went absolutely stupid in this game.
Speaker 4: Had nineteen points. Cute, you know you expect that from her.
Speaker 2: She had fourteen assists.
Speaker 5: Fourteen assists, okay, became the K State all time leader and assists in that game. And then her classmate to my rapoint, Dexter, also went crazy twenty four points. Didn't hit a single free throw, didn't hit a single two point.
Speaker 2: Just eight threes. Just eight threes.
Speaker 4: Yeah casual.
Speaker 2: Oh you said eight like the number and I said eight like she ate three?
Speaker 5: I mean both Porkanela's does see yes, including you know, she hit a huge one with under a minute to play that gave K State that eighty point total. But every time she caught the ball. It's always fun to watch players in that zone, in that mode, you know where it just feels like whatever you do is gonna be right.
Speaker 4: I don't know what's gonna happen. I don't know what play all are going to run.
Speaker 5: But as long as you get into to my repoint dexter, she's gonna figure something out. Oh yeah, and she also had six blocks, so you know, casual. But yeah, that was a tough way.
Speaker 4: You mentioned it.
Speaker 2: Georgia A.
Speaker 5: Moore's career over fifth year senior, spent a lot of time all her time in college playing under Kenny Brooks the first few years at Virginia Tech and then followed him to Kentucky. She missed a floater three point two seconds they give her the ball, missed the floater five feet from the basket, the buzzer.
Speaker 4: So it's a tough way to go.
Speaker 5: But you mentioned it. She's going to be a draft prospect. We're going to probably see her on the international stage at some point. And one thing that gave me a lot of.
Speaker 4: Respect for her.
Speaker 5: Already had a lot of respect for her, but in the postgame presser, she was asked why she still had a positive demeanor in that presser, She's like I'm not gonna let one shot affect five years.
Speaker 4: And I just thought that was.
Speaker 5: Such a microcosm of the person health. Yeah right, I could never, Babe, I could, I could?
Speaker 4: I couldn't.
Speaker 1: I am still mad about a high school triple jumper yet all and I'm not making that up. It still tears me up when I think about it. Yeah, so wow, that's I have to say. She showed up on one of the early draft kind of predictions for the Sky and I.
Speaker 2: Was like.
Speaker 5: Her and an Angel and Camilla, Oh yeah, I get some dogs like dogs Michelle.
Speaker 3: They brought up that quote because I was thinking about her as soon as that game ended and it came down to the wire as we discussed, and she immediately was shaking hands.
Speaker 2: Yep, couldn't be me. Every time I see that, I go house way, how I am such an asshole? I couldn't never.
Speaker 3: You think she was starting to you in there, could game?
Speaker 4: Could game?
Speaker 2: You know? In her head? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'd have to see who's on that Kansas State roster and think about who might be deserving.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but she's just a class act and that kind of demeanor I think is going to serve her well.
Speaker 4: In the pros and moving forward.
Speaker 5: But moving off from that one case, State, like I said one that eighty seventy nine going to their first Sweet sixteen in twenty three years, amazing. You mentioned Duke number two, Duke number ten. Oregon also extremely intense the second round matchup, and Duke was losing twenty eight twenty three and a half at Cameron Indoor Stadium, their home stadium, and I just felt like they started to kind of crumble under the pressure.
Speaker 4: I was having reservations.
Speaker 5: I've had frankly reservations about Duke for the last few seasons. I love some Kroen losson, but it just felt like offensively they couldn't really put things together. But in the second half of that game against Oregon, I got two words for you, Ashlyn Jackson. She went nuclear, She exploded, started knocking down threes, ended up with twenty points in that one.
Speaker 4: And really had to carry the load without a piece.
Speaker 5: That's really huge for Duke and Toby Fournier, their freshman leading scorer acc Rookie of the Year.
Speaker 4: She sat with illness, which is probably so tough. Also at this point in the season, I mean.
Speaker 1: That's gotta be coming out both ends kind of illness, you know what I'm talking about. Like, I'm sorry, but NCAA tournament, it's gotta be real. It's gotta be real. No tummy ache, no headache. Like if you can't even play and your.
Speaker 5: Coach is Carol lost it because you know, Caro was like, girl, are you sure?
Speaker 4: Are you positive?
Speaker 2: This could be your flu game? Exactly? No, I'm pooping my pants.
Speaker 5: Triggered you literally, so sidebar. I had a high school coach loved her to death. My freshman year we went to the state tournament. I got the flu, and she said, this could be your flu game. Spoiler, it wasn't my flu game. It wasn't my flu game. But yeah, Toby had to be hurting. But Ashton, she stepped out. She stepped up.
Speaker 1: We love that though, Like I don't want anyone season to end because of sickness or injury or otherwise. Like it hurts enough when it's fair and square, so like you don't want that team.
Speaker 2: To go out because Toby can't play, so right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Her teammates they stepped up. I mean mentioned Ashland. She went five for nine from three and they got a fifty nine to fifty three dub their second straight Sweet sixteen appearance, and I'm just so happy for Carolason. Folks out there, you're tuned in with us. I'm sure you see the karro Losson quotes everywhere. She's just such a motivator, such a great spirit. You can tell she's from the pat Summit tree, right, She's just one of those people you could listen to forever. She's also from Virginia.
Speaker 2: Just throwing that outbum Oh okay, just yeah, throw that out there.
Speaker 5: But the thing that I'm really hoping is is on Monday night, North Carolina plays West Virginia. If they beat West Virginia, We're gonna get our first Duke Carolina matchup in NCAA's history. I want that so bad. So I'm just putting that energy out there. But Duke took care of business.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, for all the history on the men's side of that rivalry, like to have that on the women's side and you get to build on the existing hatred.
Speaker 5: We love some spiciness piggy back in the women's game.
Speaker 1: Piggyback hatred like just Adjason tatrid it's not you, but you're close enough.
Speaker 2: We love that.
Speaker 1: Everybody who knows men's basketball history knows that rivalry goes deep, deep deep. My friend Jack went to UNC, is a huge Tar Heels fan, and Coach K, the longtime legendary coach of Duke, announced his retirement and during that last season it turned out that his final game was a Duke loss to UNC, and Jack had to be extra about it and not just celebrate and say good job on your forty plus years. He hired a freaking second line in New Orleans, wow funeral style to carry photos and sign commemorating and memorializing coach K's death.
Speaker 2: He was not dad, y'all.
Speaker 1: His team died and his career died, and my friend Jack paid for a full street parade second line with like musicians and parade signs to go down the streets of New Orleans. I guess that must have been where the games were happening that year, memorializing the legendary coach K.
Speaker 2: Like that is committed to the bit, committed to the bit.
Speaker 1: That is a rivalry, y'all, And if we could bring that to the women's side, I'm here for it.
Speaker 2: Good call. Yeah, what else did you see in the second round? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I mean the other thing I saw just a great day. Sunday was a great day for number five seeds. Number five ole Miss advancing to its second Sweet Sixteen in the last three years with a win over number four Baylor at Baylor. And I'm pretty sure, Sarah and Alex, if you look up defense in the dictionary, you're gonna get a picture of coach yo Let McEwen and ole Miss because.
Speaker 4: I mean, persistently one of the best. We just talked about Duke.
Speaker 5: They're really good defensively too, But to me, Ole Miss one of the best defensive teams, if not the best in the nation top to bottom. It's crazy because they're pretty much positionless on that end of the floor. Anybody can guard anybody, and that was just on full display. Baylor played super hard. I don't want to discredit them, but it just feels like this is ole Miss's time right. A couple of seasons ago they upset number one Stanford as an eight seed on route to a Sweet sixteen, and then last season also had a really good showing, but they didn't have one of their key players. KK Dean's who I think is like yo Let McEwan, number two, She's literally her one just has the eligibility.
Speaker 2: Her principles in Karna.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, and she was out last season with a season ending injury, so this season they've got her. She dropped thirteen in that game against Baylor. Also got fifth year senior Madison Scott, who I just got to give a huge shout out to, had fourteen in the Baylor game and has just grown and matured so much in the freshman. I don't know if y'all heard of Sarah gew but she's gonna be one of those players we keep on our radar for the next three years. Just the freshman, like I said, but led the team, had sixteen points, excellent individual defense, and those three have kind of led their charge and they're not going down without a knockdown, drag out, which is interesting because they've got either number one UCLA or number eight Richmond in the next round. So it's gonna be fun to watch Ole Miss keep tabs, keep tabs on them.
Speaker 2: And we're just getting started. Oh my gosh, I have news for y'all. We got more games today. It didn't end just because the weekend ended.
Speaker 1: This is the least Sunday Scaries of probably every Sunday of the year. What is that going right into today?
Speaker 3: Only the men had Sunday scaries. So if you're in the office today and somebody who's like, oh, how are we gonna get through today with basketball?
Speaker 2: Wake up, bitch, that's the sexist alert.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: These games made me spicy.
Speaker 3: I once got in trouble because on a Monday morning meeting like that, somebody was like, how is everyone's bracket doing? And I was like, which one?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And I got called out.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, I feel like, You're in a better place. Do you feel like whatever that workplace is, come, You're in a better place.
Speaker 1: Now, speaking of brackets, I have a fun reveal about my bracket. It's gonna happen tomorrow, so stay tuned for Tuesday show. In the meantime, we have to take another break. When we come back, we stand a queen who uses nil money to help her community.
Speaker 2: It's coming up next. Welcome back, slices.
Speaker 1: We love that you're listening, but we want you to get in the game every day too. So here's our good gameplay of the day. You heard it, tits to the turf the best we can do. What is the female or non binary version of balls to the wall. Anyone who doesn't have balls, what are they doing? Tits to the turf? Help out here. We love to hear from you, so hit us up on email. Good game at acast dot com. That's right, y'all, it's that new email we mentioned, Good game at acast dot com and don't forget to subscribe, Rate and review. It's easy watch Flaje Johnson making bank while helping others at the bank, rating five thousand out of five thousand families getting out of debt review LSU Hooper and rapper. Flaje Johnson is one of the queens of nil sponsorship deals, and her deal with Experience is helping others get paid to Flage partnered with the data and tech company Experien to promote financial literacy and earn money for impoverished families. With each LSU win in the tournament, Experience has committed to erase five million dollars in consumer debt in LSU's home state of Louisiana, and they're going to forgive another one hundred thousand dollars every time the Tigers win a game in the tourney.
Speaker 2: Capped at five hundred k.
Speaker 1: It's just the latest in a long line of stories about female athletes using nil deals to serve not just themselves but their community.
Speaker 2: We'd love to see it now. It's your turn.
Speaker 1: Rate and review, Give us five stars, Tell us you love us, thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: See you tomorrow. Good Game, Wisconsin Hockey, Good Game, March Madness.
Speaker 1: You never disappoint you dudes at offices who think bracket means men's bracket. Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are Alex Azzie and Misha Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan, and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rutterer, Britney Martinez, and Grace Lynch. Our associate producer is Lucy Jones and I'm your host Sarah Spain