Speaker 1: Welcome back to another edition of the Frida Egg Podcast. Today's episode is powered by td Ameritrade. Every stroke counts on the scorecard and every penny counts in the market. That's why td Ameritrade is committed to straightforward pricing with no surprises, so you're free to swing with confidence. Visit tedomritrade dot com slash Friday Egg member SIPC. Today's episode is with Russ Myers. Russ is the head superintendent at Southern Hills Country Club down in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Russ has had a great career in the superintendent industry, working at Augusta National Ocean Reef down in Key Largo LACC, as well as two stints at Southern Hills, so he's got a lot of great stories from the masters to the PGA at Southern Hills and then also restoring both LACC and Southern Hills. Before we get to Russ, I'm excited to announce a new Print of the Week program on the Friday Egg. Each week we'll be selling some of my original photography of golf courses. Each month, print sales will benefit a different charity, so check out the pro shop on the Friday Egg today for the very first print of the week, which features a shot of Sand Valley's second hole. Twenty percent of these proceeds will go to the Daniel Murphy Scholarship Fund, an organization that gives high school scholarships and educational support to kids who need it. Now onto Russ Myers. I miss the green, for example, I'm already upset. When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball in a fried egg Friday egg, the dreaded Frida egg Frida egg Frida egg egg Frida egg bride egg lie, I'm about ready to run off of the course. What's what's your favorite fruit?
Speaker 2: I don't know if I have one? Banana? Is that a fruit? Yes?
Speaker 1: A banana?
Speaker 2: Fish?
Speaker 1: You not too? I mean this is the one that you could eat every day?
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, I think that's it. It's kind of it's dryer.
Speaker 1: Where'd you grow up?
Speaker 2: Finger Lakes region of New York in a town called Odessa, New.
Speaker 1: York, Odessa, New York, not to be confused with Odessa, Texas, not even close.
Speaker 2: Flashing yellow light.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so how do you how'd you get into turf?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What was the you know, what made you become a superintendent?
Speaker 2: It was probably, like most people, I like to be at the golf course, and I like the atmosphere of the golf course and the people that hung around it. I didn't even know there was an industry for turf. I was working at a nine hole public course and Walking's Going, New York called Walkin's Going Golf Club, and I kind of showed up when I wanted mode t's mode fairways whatever. Went in at night and ran irrigation on greens by throwing roller bases out and filling the pump with a tank of gas. And one summer, the club champ at the time we were sitting in the clubhouse having a beer and he said, how come you don't go to Cobleskille? And I said, why the hell would I want to go to Cobleskill. He said, because they got a career for They got a degree for what you do? I said, what do I do? He said, golf course maintenance. I had no idea it existed, and so I explored it and got into it, and it kind of picked up from there.
Speaker 1: You play a lot of sports growing up, too, and how do you get into golf, like.
Speaker 2: My father, Joey Sindelar was was a from Horses, New York, which was my dad's hometown. And my dad was a three sport coach and athletic director, and you know, he followed everybody locally, whether it was you know, Kurt man Wearing who played for the Giants in baseball, or Joey or Mike Albert, guys like that. So my dad would truck me all around the country too. We were at Joey's Wynning, Greensboro back then, and obviously at the BC Open. So it was things like that that got me introduced to the game of golf and get me going.
Speaker 1: You're one of your early jobs was Augusta working at Augusta National out of college, and then you'd obviously been involved with major championships here at Southern Hills, but then you've also been a part of a lot of major championships set up staff. How many total major championships?
Speaker 2: Wow, it takes me a while to at them up, but I would say it's comfortably north of forty probably, Well that's not true, so total tournaments would be to north of forty. They weren't all majors, you know, I've spent probably four or five straight years going to Mirrorfield for the memorial and been at a lot of different tournaments over the years, whether it was a Walker Cup or something like that.
Speaker 1: What what are some of the most memorable ones from your standpoint just in memorable moments?
Speaker 2: I guess yeah, there's a lot of them. I mean, obviously the ones I was closely involved in with Augusta and being there, you know, when Ben won and Tigers win there in ninety seven, and and some of the experiences with that. I was at Shinnacock was it a four I think, and that was obviously became pretty from our standpoint, golf course maintenance world became pretty memorable. Boy Walker Cup at Chicago Golf Club, Walker Cup at Sea Island at Ocean I think it was at Sea Island. That was a great experience. A lot a lot of them over the years, and certainly the seven PGA here was was special for me.
Speaker 1: Working across a number of different organizations Masters obviously us G, A, PGA, RNA. You you went abroad, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did. I did. I was live them in sant Anne's and Troon for Tom Lehman and Justin Leonards wins.
Speaker 1: That's neat, Yeah, I remember that justin leonor One. How would you compare and contrast the different organizations and the relations with the setup and superintendent crew.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in a more general it's hard to pick at him. At the time I was coming up to him, I was still pretty young in the industry. I wasn't in a lot of my exposure to him was you know, I might be running the stump meter each morning and checking and you know, helping the superintendent or deciding for myself how many greens we were going to mow, so you know, it'd probably be unfair of me to to try to compare them. I think in general, I think they've all evolved, right. I think when I was first doing this and going to US opens and walker cups and working the masters, it was an experience like no other. And evolution has progressed to where they're trying to drive as much dollar out of these things as they can anymore, and it's not quite the personal relationships it used to be. When I was coming up and showed up to work and open or a US Amateur or Women's open Tim Morgan, we'd go around each hole and whether it was Tim or Mike or even Tom Meeks back then. You name it. You know, you're putting to holes and they're talking about it, and there's a lot of inner relationship with that drive to never make a mistake and try to perfect the wheel and maybe to some degree overcome what technology is doing to them and getting courses ready. Everything has become more data driven. You know, how far are they hitting it and and how fast can the greens really be? And and to some agree, do we really trust the numbers we're getting And if we get a whole location out of out of comfort zone, what was that data and how did it compare? You almost have to be ready to defend everything you do. So I think in general the organizations have tried to own their own information, separate a hair from from the days of past where they relied a lot on the local knowledge of the superintendents. It doesn't mean they don't rely on it, but but deep down they know they're the ones going to get blamed on TV. So they now bring their own, you know, local regional USGA agronomists to run a stimpmeter because they need to know that it's their people. You know, those types of things. I think the way they've evolved has been interesting and when so when I try to compare and contrast that now, I won't speak for the RNA. I wouldn't say I had a close enough working relationship with them. But but the PGA, with Carrie Haig basically being the lone face of that, I think he knows what level of risk he's willing to take there and tends to tends to do a pretty good job of finding that balance. That makes that a little less necessary and thus keeps guys like myself who want to be a part of the course set up, want to be a part of helping make the right decisions, you know, to ensure the best outcomes. It allows us to be more engaged. I don't know if that clearly answers it. I think I think the USGA has advanced beyond that stage a little farther than they were back in the late nineties. I think that relationship certainly, you know, whether that was working with Paul Atchaw Congressional or John Zimmer's at Okahat, those relationships were always there, and then to some degree posts two thousand and four shinnikok that just were never comfortable doing that fully Again, it doesn't mean they don't seek the input, doesn't mean they don't take the advice, but it kind of all of a sudden, Now we're measuring percent slopes all the time on whole locations, and we're checking firmness meteors, and we're redefining things to make sure the data fits instead of the course set up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, what was like the the atmosphere? What do you remember most from the four open at Chinnakoka? Was there something like the maintenance facility? Was there like just a feel.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, it's a The story is who knows where this could end up. But to give you the story from my perspective, I'm a superintendent in Florida up working at Shinnecock. We have a house that we've rented right off the property. It's got a pool in the backyard. And I can still recall Johnny Miller saying best conditioned open he's ever seen the start of the play that week on Thursday, And I recall Saturday sitting in the break room at the maintenance area and watching the broadcast and David Fay was in the booth at the time, and the second to last group of the day on a Saturday that was cool and breezy and windy. The put on seventh green right there were Danna seventh. The put on seven got away from him and went off the green, and I recall hearing David Fay say on there that green was inadvertently rolled that morning, and I said to the guy sitting next to me, I said, that's not going to go well. And he said, what do you mean, And I said, he basically just stated that the golf course maintenance staff made a mistake and inadvertently rolled the green, which couldn't have been true. And by the way, it was fine for every golfer all day long until the second last one of the day. Now what happened beyond that, I don't really know all the certainties of it. There was accusations of night rolling, which I could probably say ninety nine point five percent of the chance that didn't happen, because I know people who were supposedly involved in that, and they were sitting next to me at a pool drinking a beer that night. But regardless, the fact of the matter is that happened on Saturday night, and the statement was made before anything happened on Sunday, and there was plenty of opportunity to fix that issue, but for whatever reason, it wasn't done. And I remember telling my friend on Saturday night that I wanted to catch an early flight out on Sunday. And this may come across his cowardice, but he said, well is I was a young guy at the time, and I said, because I'd like to host one of these one of these days, and if this goes bad tomorrow, which I think it's gonna because people were pretty fired up, I don't want to be standing in the backdrop while this is going on. And unfortunately there just I mean, there was a lot of people who could have solved that issue, in my opinion looking back, and I've talked about this with people who worked there at the time, and I think they all agree nobody's I mean, it's just what happens when the fingers started getting pointed, and now it's like, well, what do you want to do? I mean my understanding is Mark Michad went and said, hey, forget it, it's over, what do you want to do? And they just didn't come to the right conclusion. The next day.
Speaker 1: Tricky think it's how do you think the mentality and the collaboration with superintendents with the USGA has changed since that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think it's still heavily collaborative. I mean my experience with working when I consider Mike Davis a good friend, We've you know, known each other a long time, and he's certainly you know, I think his the criticisms he's taken recently to me are in unfair in a lot of ways, you know, I hear people. I mean to answer the question first, I think there's still a lot of collaboration. I just think that there's so much double checking over top of that now, and there's a lot of voices, and that there was a lot of voices in the decision. There seems to be a shift here going on recently to try to, you know, have a very clear vision moving forward, So maybe that's changing. I think there was a stretch here where there was a lot of voices in putting things, and Mike would take all that information and try to combine it into the best outcome, and I think in generally did the problem I've seen. I listened to a radio show the week of the open and this guy was talking about how the USGA has just blown it for so many years, and I was like, what exactly have they blown? I mean, you know, depending on how you want to shape your argument, you can. But they went to some news sites that they probably needed to err a little bit on the conservative side, not knowing exactly how they're going to play. They maybe got a bad whole location on Saturday at Shinnecock. Maybe they could have had a little more water whatever. But there's still great championships and you're gonna get a bad whole location. We had bad ones back in the days of Payne Stewart. When it opens, seems like we do okay with it, I don't. I think when you look at their intent and what Mike tried to do over the last fifteen years, people were gonna people were gonna be pretty positive about it in hindsight, you know. I think as far as course set up stuff, I think, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, I think he gets that they get such a bad e. Everybody goes into a US Open for some reason looking to like fight with the USG Yeah, it's an incredible that, Like it's weird because you could the same thing could happen at at an open. I remember a few years ago the wind was blowing so hard. I can't I can't. I don't think it was brokedale it was, I can't remember, but it was where brooks Kopka was yelling at a rules Officially it's like my boss moving, I'm not hidn't it, like you know, and like if that was a USGA E then would just be crucified.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, there's so much noise. Andy. I mean, I remember when I I mean, I was working at Augusta Nashnal on the crew and it was always fascinating every year because the players would come in and you'd hear them start talking either to each other or in the media about the changes that were made to certain holes and you're sitting there on I've had about eight days off since the last Masters, and trust me, that didn't happen, you know. But the mind games that just eat these guys alive sometimes, you know, I mean, they believe stuff's happening that isn't happening. And I think a lot of that happens with especially you know, the open it's let's come in guarded right out the gun, and you know, unless you're filling, you are obviously trying to take a positive approach or something, you know what I mean. Watching it over the years has been has been a funny deal for me, just because being there inside of ropes and to some degree hereing some of that over time. You keep going, Man, it's amazing in this God these guys think we rebuild the twelfth Green every year at Augusta over the years, you know, and it just wasn't happening. And marsh Benson used to say, you know, you're a young guy and you'd look at Superintendent and say, we're going to speed up the greens for Sunday. And he'd march had this way where he would talk and say, the nerves will take care of that. We don't need to be doing that, you know. I mean, there's so much about the the mind of the golfer, as you know from to watch me play.
Speaker 1: You know, how does one go about ketting a job on the grounds for Augusta National? I feel, I mean, do you just apply? Is it just everything about Augustus like got this own? And I'm just curious. I've never looked at a job a turf job board and yeah.
Speaker 2: So I've told you a piece of this story. But so I grew up a gym rat son of a coach, and kind of made a vow that I was going to try something else in my life. I didn't know what it was at the time, but and UH didn't want to go into coaching, not because I didn't think I would love it. I just decided to do some else. So also, as I was going through college, the basketball coach there got me drug into the program and then asked me to stay on as an assistant coach with him student assistant and I did. And as I was finishing my last year at college, I didn't have any eligibility left. He wanted me to be. He wanted me to go do a graduate assistance job with Raleigh Massamino, who was then coaching at Cleveland State University. And there was another place as well that he had recommended. And so I sent off applications to do graduate assistant work and coaching, and I didn't know if I was going to get them, And in the meantime I fired off four resumes. I think I fired one to Augusta, one to I think the Shinnecock one to I think Oak Hill because it was somewhat local for us, and I don't know where the the other might have been Pebble or Pine Valley or something right, I don't know, but I fired off four resumes and I got a call back pretty good spot. Yeah yeah, just in case, and you know, looking for I always knew in my mind I could go back to Watkins Gun Golf Club work the summer if I needed to. And and I had done my internship for a guy named a Jim Hango who had just left Binghamton Country Club to build a course designed by h. Mark Munchum did the most of it, but Corners Stovn Munchem at the time and in Appalachia, New York. And I didn't know this, but this guy knew I had sent those and he reached out to Marsha Augusta and just said, hey, I know you're interview asked this guy to come for an interview. You really should look at him. And so I went down for the interview, and to this day, it's probably still the hardest interview I've ever had, as far as the stuff I had to do and fill out and stuff and questions like what's your favorite food on there kind of would throw me. I'm like, And I went back and fortunately they offered me a job. I went from making a I think I was making six fifty an hour at Watkins Gun Golf Club and they paid me six and a quarter to come to Augusta.
Speaker 1: So took a pay cut.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was good, but it was year round.
Speaker 1: So sometimes you gotta go down right.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: So you what like you graduate your this is your first job out of college and you're at Augusta National. Really you know, and uh, what what do you do? What do they start you doing?
Speaker 2: I was put in with a guy who at the time was a member of a band, and we got in a cart with sand in the back and it was just prior to overseating, so we would drive the fairways looking for a little depressions, take a sod knife and kind of wedge under him, lift them up a little bit, put some sand under him to try and level them out. That was my first day on the job. I think my second was pushing sand across the greens for the for the spur or the fall horrification.
Speaker 1: How do you start guys? We saw new member of your crew first day on the job. I mean, is it like, do you do you put them somewhere like they can do the least damage, Like is that I mean thinking about putting sand in depressions, that's probably you know, pretty.
Speaker 2: That's a good question. We probably don't do it the right way. We used to a lot of that. I mean, they have to know the holes and that's so you best to just put them with an experienced employee. Back you know, back then, that's what we did to some degree. It was more they'll figure it out type of thing. Ten twelve years ago, maybe a little sooner. But now, with the labor market the way it is, if it's hard to find people, and when you do, you better retain them. So we put a lot more effort. Our guys typically spend the first day on the job with an assistant or with me in a cart, and about half the second day before they even step into you know, jumping on a piece of aquiler. Certainly need to be trained on it all, but it's a lot hard. It's a lot more and a lot more detail into it now, just for no other reason. Is you you know, the obvious reason, you want to know what they're doing and want to be safe, but for more than that, you need them to know that you care and you want them comfortable, comfortable, so they're not leaving. It's a big shift. I mean, I've been in part of clubs where the labor market was a different time and and somebody didn't want to stay late to help with the practice, And I watch guys terminate employment. Now you're just you know, you got to navigate all the time, get over higher positions. You gotta because you just it's it's a self stretch, right or with staff.
Speaker 1: So it's crazy, it's a I mean, I think it would be a job that people would like. They just don't ever get exposed to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I've been in it so long and so focused now I don't know that I can answer the questions as to why it's not there, you know, And I don't know what the opportunities are that that don't draw people.
Speaker 1: Getting getting back to Gussa. So what what's it like? You know, we we see it in the masters and like from from the grounds crew perspective, what's it like the weeks non you know Masters weeks like in summer and fall and winter. How's it kind of the the vibe of the place change over the seasons.
Speaker 2: Well, during the months that it's open, which Roughly speaking, I think it's mid October to end of at mid May. It's as you would expect any great club to be. I mean, it's trying to keep the maintenance tight and consistent, playing conditions and not interrupting the experience of the members that come there. They you know, they have a few parties they call them or that that aren't overwhelmingly difficult as far as you know, big crowds or anything like that, but you're you're really trying to some agree to not be seen there as you would any great club. But it's it's pretty pretty standard. Then you you know, you go through the tournament, you start start prep a few months in advance. I know they've narrowed some of that, to my knowledge, narrowed some of it down the time windows. But you know, whether that's scoreboards starting to go up or starting to go through bunkers. Back in when I was there, I mean a lot of time spent getting the bunker depths exactly perfect and firm, and then there was a light coding on back I probably changed some since I was there. So there's there's kind of a pocket of people who keep working through things and then they you know, one of the cool events there. The Jamboree is a few weeks before the week before I think the Masters, and the course is always phenomenal for that. And back in my time, we would you know, record scores and turn them into the scoreboards and members names and their guests would be up on or I think it's member members, so their members would be up on the scoreboard. And it was cool stuff like that. And then you know, you go through the Masters, and then we try to get it back to playable as quick as you can for the month after it. And we were fortunate enough to have I assume they still do it an employee appreciation week where we could bring a guest or and you know, marshals. Different people had opportunities to play that week and then it shuts down. Well, we would cover the bunkers in black plastic to keep them clean a debris, so they'd go through and cover them all for all summer. Some back then there was still some native soil greens and maybe tent those greens, and everything at that point shifted to growing a strong bermuda base to get ready for the next overseating and keeping the greens alive throughout the summer, and it was, you know, a lot of sodding For a while, I spent a lot of time on the end of a hose and managing the greens management group for Brad and marsh.
Speaker 1: See they're ninety five, ninety six, ninety seven, ninety eight, yep, so you got to see some You got Crenshaw, you got Falda, you got Tiger oh Mare. Yeah. What what kind of any cool moments from from the tournament?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean a lot.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, they're always surreal in the in what where you're sitting with them, you know. I tell the story, so what was the first fall? Though? It was the first fall though Crenshaw. So Crenshaw was first Yeah, so ninety five, And I kind of told the story that for whatever reason, I liked to learn how to. They had a really good guy who changed cups there at the time, name of John Anderson, and he taught me how to change cups and I enjoyed doing it, and in the evenings so we didn't have to mess with in the morning, I would go change the cups on the pudding Green and I think it was the Wednesday night I'm up there changing cups late and they're the only two people putting on the green are Tom Kite and Ben Crenshaw. And it occurred to me, oh man, they just came back from mister Pennock's funeral and they're in suits. And I kind of walk up and said, hey, mister Crenshaw, I'm sorry to hear about miss panic. And he's over the pot. And never met him before my life, never spoke to him. Probably wouldn't have been surprised if he looked at me and said, you really think I want to hear about this right now? You know what I mean? You know, he pops right up and just as everybody who has ever met him, know as probably nicest man in the planet, that is so nice to you to say, I really appreciate that, shakes my hand and you know, he's sure a great man. And this is after he's probably been doing that all day long, right and and it just it sat with me, and obviously anybody who's met him has similar experiences. And to this day I met him years later at La Country Club and he's funny how he always introduced himself. You know, hey, Ben Crenshaw, and you're like, no kidding, you know, like Tiger you know, Tiger gives you his name. Yeah, really, thanks for letting me know. But it was pretty cool. And and then you know, you go on to the next year and it's similar deal. You're Greg Norman sitting there with a six stroke lead and on the putting green and and I'm changing the cop I'm on the last one, and it's the greens are really dry and firm, and they're hard to cut the cups, and I'm taking a break over the cup cutter, and he's walking towards me. I can see him out of the corner of my eye, and I'm trying to wait till he either goes by or does something else so he doesn't watch me struggle to cut this cup. And he knows I'm waiting, so he stands there and he says, no, no, I want to I want to see you cut this thing. And I said, oh, therese would be no problem, and everything I had in my power to get it kicked down, and about two kicks pulled it out and said yeah, I told you they're easy, and he just laughed and walked away, and you know, I wished him luck, and and that one was interesting in a lot of ways. I mean, like anybody. I happened to be standing left to ten Green when he came off ten that day Sunday, and you know that I kind of image of him walking by and the stare in his eyes. I mean I was right there and saw that, and and then followed that group and stood up behind eleven and the galleries, and the just awful feeling that was around that facility that day was unbelievable. I mean, you're just like, oh my gosh, this this is really bad and it's compelling moments. And then and then to turn it right back around. And I think it was ninety six Tigers first, I think it might have been an amateur. It was it ninety five.
Speaker 1: Well, he played all those years because.
Speaker 2: He was he was an amateur amateur.
Speaker 1: He was winning the US am because he won. Yeah, so he was in there.
Speaker 2: Tiger's first year there as an amateur.
Speaker 1: Would have been ninety four.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, Okay, well maybe I didn't see his first year there, but he come down to Fairway one year and just I'm water and dryer is off in the edge of the fairways and you know, a big smile on his face, yelling put some water on the greens please, you know, I mean, little things like that were but with guys who were forever, you know, I mean shaking hands with Arnie and his five probably it seems like it was. And yeah, he's coming down town. It's it's weird to me that, you know, that's early in my career right there, ninety five, and then thirteen years later or whatever, he's winning a PGA here at seven and and I'm fortunate enough to be here. And anyway, I mean, just cool things. And you go on to the next year and and there's Tiger and that image of him pumping his fist up on eighteen and I'm standing down in the lower range waiting to open up an irrigation valve so we can start watering behind play because we'd always isolate down the system and so you didn't have a geyser or something. And I watched a lot of you know, following that stuff over the years. Just really cool.
Speaker 1: We got we got a bust of myth Okay, yeah, we're gonna move. We're gonna move to something you just talked about. But we got but we are these are these plants frozen? Is this is this real?
Speaker 2: No? No, they're not frozen.
Speaker 1: Pipe birds aren't kind of brought into pipe in chirping.
Speaker 2: Well, they certainly weren't when I was there. You know, I don't know what's going on now. If it is it is, I really don't know. But there was never any ice on him. I would I The azalias is a pretty simple concept. They actually did some great planning and and I said planning, not planting, and they did both. But but it's multiple varieties of azalias that bloom at a little different stages, and it gives the longest extent of bloom. I mean, some years are going to get all of them, some years are going to get there early, and some years you get the late. Some of you might not get any. But but no, I don't I don't think they were ever iced while I was there.
Speaker 1: You know, people come up when they don't know exactly what's going on. That's when the best conspiracies.
Speaker 2: It's exhausting, it's exhausting to listen to. And my my my favorite is that you know, everybody in the planet planet is just confident that no matter how much rain you can get that subays, these greens are going to be firm as a rock the next morning and they're just like, yeah, it just doesn't happen that way.
Speaker 1: You're not on Twitter. But you know, this year, when it was raining, I turned to my bed that I was down in here. I guess. With it started raining, I go, oh, man, we're just gonna get like one hundred subair tweets right now, and like sure enough, just oh, time to crank up the subbers. It's just rained like three inches.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm gonna tell you this story. I probably shouldn't gonna get in trouble for this, But so when I was working at LA, I got to know Fred Couples through a member out there, John McClure, and and Fred was a member at LA and big supporter of mine. You know, his comments made my life easy because he comes with a ton of credibility out there. And so when Fred was captain and the President's Cup at Mirrorfield, Paul b Letch I was a superintendent a Mirrorfield and I was a big friend of Paul's and would go out and help him for years at Mirrorfield. So I came out for the President's Cup. So it had been wet and raining, and it was sticky, and it was early in the week. So Freddy really wanted those greens fast and just as fast as you could get him because he thought the international guys were going to hit it above the hole and and they'd be, you know, in trouble, and American guys weren't going to hit above the hole. So during the prize he would I'd see him and he'd keep asking me, and and the greens were plenty fast enough, right, he was just needle and he was shooting for more and he knew I would go say something to Paul, so he was needling me. And uh So there was a couple of members of the club around that were friends of his, and I took him on the cart and we were watching the practice round and fred he's you know, as you if you can tell, he is kind of what you see, right, I mean, he's that guy. He's clowning around and needling people all the time. And he ultimately ropes me into coming out onto the green on the seventh green. You know, I'm like, no, I'm good, I'm fine, I'll stay here. He's not, come on, you're scared. I'm not scared, but let's go. So he walks me up to seven green and introduces me to Matt Kocher and introduced me to a couple other guys, Joey Lkava and Davis Lover out there, and he's needling me all along the way. I can tell Rddy's behind me. And so he introduced me to Tiger and every one of them. He's asking are these greens fast? And he's behind me, you know, given to tell him no, tell him no. So he says, Tiger me Russ Myers. I said, hey, Tiger, nice to meet chest and actually I was a superintendent oh seven Southern Hills. Freddy says, Tiger, these greens fast. He said, yeah, they're pretty quick. He says, how come they're so soft? I said, well, tigers been like ninety eight percent humidity and you know it rained the last couple of days. I said, they'll get there. He goes, don't they have supper? I go, well, it's a little bit of a myth there, Tiger. I said, it doesn't really dry out the green. It gets rid of the excess moisture, and you know it's not going to do it that quick, doesn't my house? I said, hey, Tiger, you can teach me how to run that putter. Right there, But don't teach me how to grow grass. All right now, If Fred he's loving it, he's lost his mind, you know, he's yelling, and the putters of him here and Tiger loved it. You know. They were all needle and they just they don't want to meet some guy and I go through that. So they were having a ball with the needle and the tiger starts giving it back to me about eating lead tape on his putter because the greens are too slow. So that's good stuff.
Speaker 1: That's uh, you know, tigers, you just want a tiger's guys.
Speaker 2: No, No, I think you know best I've ever seen. I respect him to death.
Speaker 1: He infamously adds like a s y to everybody's to everybody's name, like he calls brooks Up Brooksy, Steve Sands, Sansy.
Speaker 2: He's just gonna have to reverse it with me.
Speaker 1: And you're rusty, Yeah, rusty wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Work, now, that wouldn't be good. Although he did say that our greens were a little bumpy the day he lipped out to shoot sixty three.
Speaker 1: So just be let's talk about so you got got the job at Southern Hills and six a year later, you're you're hosting the PGA. What was it like doing all these major championships, not, you know, being a guy out there helping out to then becoming you know, the guy.
Speaker 2: It was comforting. I think what I learned through watching everybody was there's there's a mentality that the more you do must be better. And I'm not sure that's always the case, you know. I mean, if you're not I don't know, you know, pick your deal. If you're not hand picking twigs off the side of trees, then you must not be doing it right. And I think that's not it. I think for me, it was about focusing on what mattered inside the ropes. I never dealt with one issue that I can recall outside the ropes. I had great staff here that I had inherited superintendent before me, very successful John Zelenski now at Charlotte Country Club and left me with great guys, and I never had to mess with any of that stuff. And it allowed me to just stay focused in here with them. And so I think, you know, I watched while we got two cuts in today, let's try to get three tomorrow. And that just I'm not saying it was wrong at other places just for us. It didn't make sense. I wanted to I wanted to present the place well. I didn't want it to get worse. As the week went on, we backed off. We I don't know when the last time there was just a single cut done the day of a tournament and no nighttime cut. I mean, we did that that week just because it was just going to continue to wear collars for no added benefit. We were going to achieve the speeds we wanted in the firmnace we could get considering the heat that week, and we ended up with a great you know, Tiger went in and a great event, and you know, some of the probably most challenging, the weirdest thing about that week was nobody practiced. I mean, you know, these guys they'll sit on the tee all day long and just beat away. It was so hot they didn't want to be out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it. I mean, it's got to be the toughest thing with Oklahoma in June July. I mean we are out here today in July. It's just hot. Yeah, it's pretty warm, and but that's that's why you got your new heating and air conditioning unit, right.
Speaker 2: That is correct, it's pretty fancy. It is correct. I was exposed to that at Augusta in the nineties. They actually put it in the mid eighties the first time on number twelve, and I have been a huge proponent of that my whole career. It's something you got to rebuild the greens to put them in. And when I was here for my first stint, I vowed to myself I wouldn't ever rebuild the green without putting them in, because I just think it has such a strong long term value to extending the life of greens and overall ability to manipulate the environment. And so we put in the infrastructure for it on both courses. And this is the best system put in by far, design wise and fully operational on all the bent grass surfaces on the course. And when I took yesterday here near fourth of July week, and I took yesterday to go up to the lake with my family, it was probably ninety six degrees outside and pretty hot, and felt pretty darn comfortable. We weren't going to deal with any stress now. This will be the first summer of it all in and we got to see where we're at. But it sure was nice to know that it was about seventy five degrees and the soil times down there.
Speaker 1: So your career, you went from Augusta. You then became superintendent down Florida. You're in Key Largo, and and then you came here to Southern Hells and then you went to LA. So with LA you went there and they did their massive restoration with with Gil, and then he came back here, and Gil sure enough came back here and did this restoration. You came back and he did this restoration. So how how would you say your views of Southern Hills changed after working at LACC.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not just Southern Hills. But I'm not sure I understood. I understood pure risk reward architecture to a degree, like location of hazards relative to how you would play into a green. Like a good example is Number one at Augusta. I always understood that the more he challenged the fairway bunker, the better your angle would be into the green. And that was about the extent of my architectural knowledge. And you know, some would argue it's probably not much beyond that now, including Jim Wagner, But I don't know that. When I looked at the property before I ever looked at it like that. When I looked at a tea box and I looked where to put tea markers, I was more worried about divot pattern or where then I probably was how the hole played. When we looked at planning a landscaping at the entrance of the club, I probably thought of it more about that individual box than how it related to the entire property and the theme of the property and what The time I spent with Gil and Jim and Jeff Shackelford out at LA just that constant reminders, and there was a lot of stuff. I didn't know what they wanted to look like, the native grasses. I didn't know quite what the look was. I didn't know how dry they wanted the roughs. And we would keep communicating after the work was done with photos and Jeff would come out a lot and say, is this the look?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: And I kind of started to learn all through that. So now when I come back, I look at Southern Hills totally different. I look at it as the I mean when I was here the first time we had a PGA, the first year, we went through the ice storm that winter that following winter, and then we had a US amateur. There wasn't a lot of time to really digest that stuff anyway, but I wouldn't have known what to look for, and I wasn't as tuned into how whole location relation to team markers and things like that, and all that came from five, you know, five six years in LA working with those guys, and it really rejuvenated me. I mean I from the start didn't know if I was ever gonna want to be a superintendent. I've managed to like it and at times contemplated doing other things. And fortunately for me, every time I've contemplated something else, there's been a new interesting challenge that's kind of said, no, I think I want to try that. And you know, leaving here was hard. I had a It's a great club, great members, great managers, I liked who I worked for. Part of leaving was a little bit of fear. I mean I was pretty young then, and I'm sitting there going, what is this is not an easy place to go through summers on that bent grass And you start looking at your long term and say, is there a likelihood you're going to go twenty twenty five years here and retire when you're gonna have some problems. I mean, I don't care how good you are. This is a tough place to go grass in the summer, on bed grass. Some of it was geez, maybe I should look at this, but some of it was the opportunity to move away from the style of Southern Hills, in the style of Augusta National that's cleaned wall the wall, and experience this more rugged, you loose feel to things. And so when the opportunity came, it just felt like it made sense. I tell everybody I left Southern Hills for La Country Club because I was leaving for a better job. But at the time I left LA Country Club to come back here, I felt the same way. I felt like Southern Hills was a better job at that point. And part of it was the opportunities I saw that could be there for that property. It didn't know if we would do a your renovation work or anything like that at restoration, but but I had learned so much that I was like, geez, that stuff would really that type of thinking would really fit there and would advance that place.
Speaker 1: It's interesting to think too, Like you know, it seems like early in your career it was it was really you know, competitive golf, championship golf focused, and you know you had some you have so much experience in that. But then like all of a sudden, this opportunity at LA was like, you know, you go to LA and you can be part of a massive restoration project which was probably new and fresh and re energizing.
Speaker 2: It was I mean, I did we we redid the course. I was in Florida Cardsound Golf Club. We redid that. Brian Silva did it and very flat piece of land, solid rock, and Brian did a really good job there. I mean really underrated and a lot of the work he's done in my opinion, but I mean for that property, he did a great job. And I'd annoying about architecture. To me, it was all about have we gotten all the ball marks fixed? Have we got every last plade of grass? You know, as every bunker looked perfect, and as you as you evolved, you started look at it differently, and LA was like perfect imperfection, right, how could you make it look as unperfect as possible and still maintain exceptional playability? And that became fun. I mean when I say we watered, we watered the roughs at La Country Club the last couple of years. I was there like one day a month. I mean that was it. I mean we pounded him for like an hour ahead for one day, soaked him and then just let him dry down. And you know, that type of stuff was fun and it took some time. I mean, I've nobody pays attention to what I say most time anyway, so they won't remember it. But when we opened up the North Course, people were raving about it, right, And it was hard to take account molement from my perspective because the conditioning wasn't good, But the architecture carried the day for like two years there to where we finally caught up with the conditioning. And to some degree, that's what's happening here. There's a lot of smoke and mirrors and a lot of imperfections right now that are masked by bermuda that's actively growing. But we got a lot of little things to tie together, whether it's you know, edges of greens that still need to be top dressed smooth, or a ditchline that's settled and you know, goofy stuff like that. But I don't I don't panic about that stuff. Like I might have ten years ago, because it has no bearing on what's great about the playability. I just want to keep the playability as good as I can.
Speaker 1: So I guess one of the things I think's interesting with your career is you went from you know, Augusta, Florida, Tulsa, then you go to like three hundred and sixty five days a year, no no break. How tough was that transition, you know in LA, never having downtime. It's something I thought about when I was out in LA this year.
Speaker 2: It was. It was tougher than I ever would have imagined it would have been. For a couple of reasons. I don't mind him working. I don't mind being at work every day, especially if I like the place and it feels like home. There's a couple of things that going to that. First of all, it was a thirty six hole facility, so even when we were closed, we weren't closed, like if one course was closed, the other was open. A huge part of that restoration out there was course set up, a huge part, and it's the hardest thing to train other staff members on the mentality of how each hole can set up differently and how if you do one thing here, you probably want to do this somewhere else to counter it, and something as simple as a bad tea marker setup can mess that up. And it became very very hard to get away from it for me, because every day there's something going on, right, the ladies are doing this, or the seniors are playing here, and you had these setup issues, and I needed to make sure at least put my eyes on it to make sure the setup was right. Otherwise it was like, well, that's weird. Why are you playing that front right pen on the third green so long? You know what I mean? And so it was hard to get away from the place. And the second thing that added to that dynamic was we had both my wife and I, Lindsay had both our kids while we were out there, and I would walk out of that house every morning to two closed doors and get lucky if I get home at six thirty quarter or seven, maybe play with them for an hour before they went to bed. That got to be where it really wore on me. I didn't want to live my life that way with my kids, and I had to figure out how to solve that, and it was getting hard to do. I would have figured it out but it ended up luckily I didn't have to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, young kids for superintendent. The hours just are are tough, especially you know there and they go to sleep at seven, say, and then you're yeah, you're never you're done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've gotten much better at vowing not to be that one who's every minute every day. I won't let this industry. I've had this conversation with Nix at Orchest when I came back here. I said, I, Nick, I won't let this take me away from my kids to a point where I'm not comfortable. I said, if it does, I'm just gonna have to try to do something else and and and I'm committed to that. So far, I think I've done a pretty good job. This win has been a little bit more because of the project, but but even it wasn't bad. We had a great contractor to ack of a job, in Augustine Sanchez with Heritage Lanks and obviously Foremost Irrigation and with you know, Seamus Malee was on site every day, so you know, I would I need. I say it a lot that I'm going to the lake. I tell people that all the time, and I go sometimes. I'll probably go as much as I tell people I do, but but in some ways I got it. If I don't enjoy the time with my kids, I'm gonna hate being here and I won't last. So you gotta let me do it. At some point, my kids probably won't want me around.
Speaker 1: Going to the lakes as a mental expression going.
Speaker 2: To the lake. My wife won't let me go to the bars often anymore. Now it's the lake.
Speaker 1: So so, how is so you come back and you you want to you've seen what l a CC became, and you come back and you see you've got kind of a new perspective on Southern Hills and talk to then you start to work with Gil and how did this project come about?
Speaker 2: Okay, so before I had so, I I had accepted the opportunity to come back, but I hadn't been back yet. We were starting the south Course project at l A and you know, Southern Hills knew up front I wouldn't be able to come back right away and was understanding of that, and I was there. So there was this time period in between. And during that time period, Keith Foster had stepped away from like a nineteen year relationship with the Southern Hills. I was called by Nick Si Dorcas and asked me to prepare some thoughts for the executive committee on the various architects in the industry. And I said, okay, I'll do you know, I'll compile what I can, what I know, and I had a conference call with the Executive committee to kind of go over some thoughts. Didn't, you know, lead him any one way. I just told them how each stylistically either you know what you know of them. And they asked at the time if I would have a conversation with Gil to see if he would have any interest in guiding them through a short game construction and driving range because they were going to build this teaching center or golf performance center. I said, I'd do it. I did. Gil said he would do that, probably somewhat reluctantly at the time, obviously extremely busy, and to come out and build a short game facility in the corner of a property on a flat piece of land, and you know, oversea driver range was probably not something he was totally excited about, but he also knew there was possibilities in the future. And you know, our relationship certainly probably didn't help or didn't.
Speaker 1: Hurt Wagner might say.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you gotta take it easy. He'll he'll needle me forever if I say something wrong. So we it's just funny because I've got this image of Jim Wagner from almost any project where he's on the excavator and as I pull up, he turns the excavator sideways and so he can face you right, and he always puts his elbows on his knees and then puts his head in his hands and invariably says, you know, what the is that guy doing over there? Back then, that's how he do it.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: He texts you non stop. He texts about everything he sees. I mean, it's hilarious. When it's hard to believe he can run the controls on an excavator and text. I think he must be doing it with his with his chin or something, because he's just like, there's a guy behind three, this dumb sob, you know, And it's in the text, and you're like, how's he getting anything done? He's texting NonStop. But it's and that's without even getting into the political back and forth that we have. But he is a piece of work. I've lost my train of thought on where we were we.
Speaker 1: Were talking with with Gil. So he agrees to the short course, the driving range, short game area.
Speaker 2: So the board or the executive committee and the board met with Gil and they were great excited that he would be willing to come work with us. Asked, he agreed to do that stuff, and then the board actually delayed that work by one year, and in the meantime we kind of took that opportunity to say, Hey, if we're going to delay this year, why don't we get them out here. Let's let them go through and look at the whole property and kind of give us overall thoughts of it. They thought that was great. Gil found time to do it and and it resulted in the you know, the master plan or whatever you want to call it, of the of the of the work, with no you know, no recommendation of anything. It just said, these are the things I think you should look at and do. This board, I've said it before, and it's wisdom. It was in the middle of some facility planning stuff as far as tennis what we called the cartbarn being rebuilt and the lockeromen's locker room, not to mention the teaching center, and they they didn't want to affect the membership more than once. So they piled this whole thing into one project, which turned out, you know, ultimately to be this. You know, our end of it ended up being ten and a half million for everything and that you know that includes million and a half in hydronics, and so, you know, defend Gil a little it. Sometimes they get thrown in that the numbers of their projects are getting inflated. Certainly wasn't here. I mean we were golf course alone. We were probably under nine million for that work.
Speaker 1: So and that was all new Greens, all.
Speaker 2: New Greens, bonkers, Tea's creek restorations, tree removal, fairway expansion, all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, what would you say, was the thing that you didn't expect that's turned out like that? You didn't foresee that, you know, in a good way, or you know, in a bad way. I mean, I don't think it will be a bad way, Bud.
Speaker 2: That's a good question. I mean I probably came into it with such high expectations because I just knew how my I mean, I knew how good those guys were, and I knew what because gone through it, I was always pretty confident people were going to love it. I just could never get a sense that the membership fully understood where we were going with it. There were times I was I got a little concerned that because they trusted so much of it to the board and to Nick and Carrie and myself, and obviously probably that trust came because of Gil and Jim, but but they trusted so much of it was that they didn't They weren't standing there every step of the way. And it was one of these deals where I felt like we were going to do the big reveal and they were like going to be like, well, why did we do that? But it wasn't. And so I had analyzed so much of two and the split fairway there and ten and adding the creek, and that I wasn't surprised by those things. Seventeen. I knew they were going to I felt very confident those were going to be great. Probably the one that I didn't know coming into it. And I've never been quite able to figure that hole out that I think is so great now it's probably gonna end up being eleven. I just think that it was kind of an to me. It was always kind of a nondescript hole there in the corner with bunkers wrapped around it. You just had to hit the green and boom and now you got to hit it. But there's a lot of dynamics there with with the creek down to the left being put back in. I just don't think that's that. I think that it reminds me a lot of the British holes there in the Scottish holes and the postage stamps.
Speaker 1: Now it's funny, I I when I watch Southern Hills when in seven and three or four or oh one, oh one, I uh like, just you know, there was nothing, you know, memori memorable, and then you look at a topa, you look at a Google Earth image and there's nothing. Then you get out here and it's just like it's unbelievable the land and everything. But the par three's are really fascinating, I think because they're all in corners of the property and they all they're all connector holes kind of that connect you to the next great part four, from one great part four to the next great hole. Like you know, eleven's a perfect example. It's on this terrain that's it's too severe to put a part four or par five with the way that bank comes down, but then you know it's connect It connects ten and twelve, like two of the most iconic holes on the golf course. Now, yeah, and it's just it's such a fascinating and eleven's just it's a really cool hole, and you know it's you've got that prevailing wind and that ridge line almost like blocks the wind. And I think you're going to see so many guys just miss it right there because now with that left side where it shaved down and runs right into the creek, it's like you're so scared of that you can't and you think this wind's going to push it over there, and it just doesn't do anything to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that funny thing is, if you've played the whole before, you don't think right front or right is that bad, but it is now. I mean, you'd rather be hitting from the tee than hitting from the right of the green because you know the green's half as deep from the right side and you're aiming towards that creek. So I just I think that became a really special change. And by the way, it made twelve tea look immensely better. Twelve tea was just kind of down there, flat and didn't really you know, it stood up in the middle of this open area. It just was weird. And now it gives that area of body and character. But I didn't really mention it or think about it at the time. But the thing that came out better and it's not as you know, I had high expectations for the golf course stuff, but that area up around the first tee came out. Every bit is good and better than I could ever picture of it. The vista's up there now, or it's always been incredible off of one tee, but you just don't feel enclosed in up there anymore. And it feels like there's an atmosphere and a vibe and in an area to hang out and communicate with the small putting green in there, and that that whole thing's changed a.
Speaker 1: Lot to me. Just the place has such character now and like it's it's got that that intimacy that you see with all the greens close together in different spots, and there's just you know, you go to points on the golf course and everywhere you go you can see multiple holes and multiple shots from if you're if you're spectating, it's it's just such a neat spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny. I walk on golf courses now and I look at them and I think, probably I'm you know, my exposure to working with Gill and Jim and Jeff over the years. I think I look at it and I go, I would do this or I would do that. But it's not really I would do this. It's like I think they would do this, that or this, and and I find myself doing that when I go play golf courses. It's like, yeah, I think this needs to be more like this. And uh, and I think that's so much of that rejuvenation for me. I mean it's I mean, it's just that relationship ship really got me fired up. I look at this property now and I don't do that as much now that it's done right, I don't see anything that that I'm itching to modify and and I know La North. We finished, and we spent the next four years doing more stuff. It was all under Gill's you know, advice, but it was just a function of how much was done in the original main body of the project and what was continued later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So there was one day. Were there any other differences in the projects like and running it like any noticeable different like, well, no.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't know if there was. I think uh, I think most of the North Course was all like Jim Gillen and uh, Jeff and and they kind of clearly had these functional roles that they were playing as far as construct but there was the collaborative side. They were communicating a lot here. That was more Jim and Seamus and and Gil. So I think maybe that's the only real dynamic difference. The time that Jim may have spent on the excavator at La Country Club was probably replaced by Seamus doing it here and taking that lead role as far as the actual day to day operation. And then when Jim would come in and out, he would you know, fill in and I fill in. He would take charge for a few days and then hand it back to Seamus, and it was kind of more that way. Yeah, fill in is not really something Jim does.
Speaker 1: So he was like a good player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sixth man Like Rasion Rondo, Oh, Lebron, that's my ball.
Speaker 1: Rondo had a moment again and that running for a hot second was the Lebron Stopperron. That was when Lebron was having some issues, you know, like he that was Everybody was like, you know, can Lebron actually win this? But Rajon Rondo was shutting him down a sixty one point guard.
Speaker 2: Still, I was thinking, trying to think back. I think Lebron's ever been called for a charge in his life, only he's ever committed one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his reactions being a Bulls fan and being a bull season ticket holder when when the heat and him were, you know, and just his reactions anytime he gets called for a foul. It's like we get off on basketball for I know it will be the next podcast will be all about you know, this free agency boom that's happening right now. So with uh with Southern Hills in the future, you guys are now like probably twenty thirty your TVD.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, to my understanding, that's that's the committed date. Was still some outside possibility of it moving up. Don't know where it stands officially.
Speaker 1: It'll be exciting, you know. I walked away. I'm like, I can't wait till then watch to watch major championship coffee in coorse.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm with you. I got to get the again that there's that drive there. They're gonna get some.
Speaker 1: Ratings Yeah, so you're one of the biggest and you alluded to this earlier, one of the biggest issues in the churf industries, that is the labor. How have you gone about tackling finding labor and you know, wages and all of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so finding labor on the base staff level is still the same basic tactics as for our full time staff. We're still trying to find you know, local people looking for long term employment, good good place to work, good benefits. It's this in our environment. It's the seasonal that had dried up a lot. There just wasn't there. So, you know, we had Scott Boordener, a friend of mine in Chicago golf club, had mentioned to me a couple of years ago that he was having good luck with high school kids, and we were left with no choice but to try some things like that and reached out to the local schools and guidance counselors and just got inundated with unbelievable amount of requests for employment. And it's been great. I mean, we overhire them just because we kind of take the approach of we're going to try to get you to go Tuesday through Sunday six thirty in the morning until whatever, eleven o'clock eleven thirty. If they want to work a bunch more, great, But you can still be a high school kid. You can have your summers, you can do whatever. We'll over hire the number of them, so if they want a day off here or there, we're not going to fight with them about it. You know, hey, go for it. We got plenty of guys, and financially that's made sense. And they've been much better than most of the planet thinks they would be. You know, I mean, they get they get off my lawn. World of these these new kids these days, they don't know how to work, hasn't shown to be true to me. They've been very reliable. They've been at high energy. They bring a pulse to this operation that we were probably missing. So that's been a big part. Now it leaves us a little exposed right when they go back to school for you know, a month, and right before they come for a month, and we've got to still try to figure that out. It's tough. I mean, you drop twenty eight thirty guys and you're still growing and you got to mow for about a month. That can be tough. Until the grass shuts down enough that we're not pushed. Probably out of that thirty, probably fifteen percent of them our college kids put some of them are one that worked for us in high school that are coming back and doing it in college.
Speaker 1: Is that I mean that seems like a smart way to do. That's how you got into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, there's there are a lot of them that would be very good at this, and be better at it than I was.
Speaker 1: It's a fascinating thing I think about. I grew up caddying, you know, but I was I also worked in the backroom at the country club that I caddy at. I mean I was out there at like five point thirty opening up the backroom and you know, setting up the range and everything, and you know, in many way I would work with the superintendent of getting the range stuff done. But like you know, like that was a great job. I spend all day outside.
Speaker 2: Well look at this. I mean, this place right now is think about this. So right now I've got on our staff roughly thirty high school kids or freshman sophomore in college. We've got I'm going to guess another thirty working at the pool, and then with this club, has it set up where the caddy program that Carrie has been building up here and developing through the freshman caddies, he trained some two hundred kids or caddies, and a lot of them high school kids. So they're somewhere in the neighborhood of two hundred and sixty local high school kids coming out here four days a week whatever they are right, and they're being exposed to leaders in the community and working with them and walking with them, and they're embracing that that stuff is what clubs were about when you started caddying and when you know people were coming up my age. It's a pretty cool thing. If we can sustain and if it builds the way you want. I mean, the number of people you talk to they are members of this club that got their start to the game of golf through caddy and is huge. So whether it's golf course maintenance or caddy and whatever they like to do, it can't hurt the game to get them going. And that's a lot of kids. I mean, that's that's just under half the number of members we got that are working here that are all, you know, still in their educational formative years.
Speaker 1: The caddy program, how much has that helped with reducing say cart play and the traffic just on the golf course.
Speaker 2: It's had a well, the first year of it was a minor impact, had a very small impact. It's a big culture change here at the club that, to be quite honest, I don't know how far it's going to go. It's we open the course back up of walking only, and it's been an unbelievable vibe and feel out here. It just feels like the best of the best. I mean, you know, forget golf course, you know, golf Digest rankings, but if you look at him. The last time I looked at him, I was trying to make a case to the club about walking and and I asked them to stop me when they got to the course on the list that did more or the same amount of heart rounds as we were doing, and it was below us, I mean, the top thirty. I mean, you know, maybe Pebble, but Pebble's doing it on car paths only. So I guess to Southern Hills's credit, we were, you know, the highest ranked of the courses that are allowing a high amount of golf carts. So when when we first institute Carrie first kind of built the program. It had a little bit of an impact, had about a seven percent impact, but that wasn't going to really move the needle. And and so now coming out of this we're walking only for the first month. We're about to shift to a cap of thirty six carts a day, which is going to sound like a lot to some clubs, not like not many to others. Dere, Yeah, it is hot, and but that's seventy two golfers, and and we've we've been doing pretty good numbers in the walking only stage, so we think there's a better than average chance that that thirty six will accommodate all we need. There may be some days where it doesn't, but we're hopeful that that'll work well and it'll be embraced by the membership. But at some point in August, we're to shift to where our tea we have sixteen times an hour, two of them are going to be reserved for walking only, which in and of itself is a big shift from where we were. I mean, that's thirty three percent and we were doing ninety three percent cart rounds. So we'll see, we're working at it. It's being the people walking are embracing that like crazy got push carts for the first time and I don't know what fifty years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting. And then from your standpoint, it makes your life a lot easier just from the acronomics.
Speaker 2: With into the stream of place in a ton of ways people don't. I mean, it's hard to even quantify it, but it's almost impossible when you're a pack t sheet with carts out there, it's almost impossible to mowe rough productively because they're they're zinging in and around and you're trying not to disturb their experience and they're just moving left to right so quick you don't even know where they're going, so there's no predictability to so your efficiency drops and you have to mow. And time have we mow rough on Mondays now when we're closed, instead of doing productive maintenance oriented work like venting or something to smooth stuff out. We're getting rough modes so we don't have to be out there mowing amokst play. That's not ideal, but it's where we're at now, So yes, it helps to help them well being of our members. Yes, it creates an atmosphere that feels more like a classic facility. Yes, it steadies the pace of what's going on out there, and it allows us to find openings to work without interfering with golfers. You know, there could be a three hole gap and if there's cards singing around, somebody's just going to jump over there in that gap and start playing. And we're in the middle of trying to I don't know, fertilized dry you know, weak areas around a bunker, and then you got our sprinklers are trying to water them in and so there's such a huge benefit to getting it, as I'm preaching to the choir, I know, but but it's a it's a three six here with the walk and only you know, it's just really cool.
Speaker 1: I imagine given the temperatures and like the growing that happens in the summer here, there's a lot more in day maintenance that you have to do than say, like an la would you say that, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's on greens there was without the hydronics and what we've seen so far there certainly, I mean we were four guys on the greens all day long. You know, whether that was cooling, syringing, constant inspection and then fans and so I think from the greens on the Bermuda, I don't. I don't know that that's the case. I mean good news about you know, I was talking to it's actually talking to Paul b and Phil Phil KAfari in the last few weeks and told the story. You know, they're both about either doing opening their course from a project or about to do one. And and I said, it's funny. You know, we open the course May something late May May twenty ninth. And the good news about our project is when we open, we're the worst we're going to be. We're going to get better each day because we get into more heat and that bermuda is going to grow more and we can do more with their projects and coolst seasoned grasses. They're now if they open at that time, the best they're going to be is probably when they open that summer, because now you're implementing imperfections and stresses and so so there's some advantage to being down here from that standpoint.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how crazy do you have anything? Do you have to worry about? Like ice damage and stuff on the greens and in the winter, like that's something that happens big in the upper Midwest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the ice damage would be more on poa plants. I think with us we we are not likely to get ice damage on bent grass for sure, and certainly not with the hydronics heating them now. But but uh, that's an interesting dynamic. And and you know, if some scientists will probably call you and debate this, but you know, I'm speaking pretty openly about my opinions on stuff, which never gets me anywhere. But this whole dynamic of getting sand, sand, sand injected to everything has has had latent impacts. I mean, I don't know that the ice damage was ever as bad in the in the Northeast as it is in recent years. And it makes me wonder how much of that is the incorporation of sand, and this a lot of these native soil, you know, push up greens because obviously it's colder, you know, in the sand, and you know there's benefits in the in the summer. But but you now have probably an increase in additional issues like nematodes or or or ice damage due to due to years of trying to incorporate sand into these things.
Speaker 1: So the uh we you're doing, you're using the robot moors on the nine hole course here, and I'm just curious, you know, if there's one major innovation in the maintenance industry, what would.
Speaker 2: You like to see. That's a pretty big one, the robotics across the board. I mean, we incorporated the greens robotics one because it was what was available and it and it's working well for us. On our West nine we went from it took five people to set up that course on a daily basis. We're now doing that with three. And if you come to the you know, I'm not quite ready on the champ yet for odd reasons. But the biggest thing that impacts us on the Championship course it's kind of twofold, but they both revolve around the same thing. I wish I could eliminate figure out clippings on fairways without having to use blowers to do it and get the same effectiveness because that noise is a big shoe. But for us to mow fairways and deal with clippings, it's a twelve person job. There's eight fairway moors and four blowers out there. That's a lot. So if there was a way to get that robotics on large areas like that. That would be huge. I know there's robotics now for range pickers and stuff like that. I think it's common.
Speaker 1: It's just rae.
Speaker 2: It's pretty awesome.
Speaker 1: Man. That was like my summer.
Speaker 2: That's pretty awesome. Yeah, nobody anymore. No, I'm sure they'll find another another role.
Speaker 1: But whenever I had a hangover, I'd go sleep sleep in the back of the range picker.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to pick the range well. I never, I've never I've only ran a range picker here. I think it's the only place I've ever run one that fun. It doesn't look like much fun.
Speaker 1: So thanks for coming up. We're looking forward to seeing Southern Hills more majors, you know, hopefully hopefully sooner than later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be nice. I gotta I gotta do it before I'm not around to do it.
Speaker 1: I know they got they got to bump it up.
Speaker 2: I don't have that influence.
Speaker 1: I'll just keep saying it all right. Thanks for coming on Ross.
Speaker 2: Thank you you've.
Speaker 1: Been listening to the Egg podcast. We do the digging for you.