Speaker 1: Now here's a highlight from Coast to Coast AM on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to Coast to Coast. George Nori with you, Jim Quick with us. His book is called Limitless, the Expanded Edition. Tell me about the title, Jim Limitless.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Limitless is an owner's manual for our brain. You know, our brain. You know, we're talking about space. This is the space I'm talking about is between our years. You know, we upgrade, you know, think about technology and you know, we have autonomous electric cars and spaceships that are going to Mars or to vehicle choice. Often when it comes to learning is like a horse and buggy, a horse and carriage. So Limitless, upgrade your brain, learning thing faster. Our Lucker Exceptional Life. The expand Edition is really it's not about being perfect. It's about advancing and progressing beyond what you currently believe is possible. Can we discovered more about the human brain more in the past twenty years and the previous two thousand years combined, and we found as we're grossy underestimating our own capabilities, regardless of your age, your background, your career, educational level, financial situation, gender history, IQ you know it's so much more potential inside. It's just we're not shown how to be able to access it. And that's that's why, that's why I wrote this book.
Speaker 2: You talk about the seven lies of learning, Tell me about that, then we'll get into these seven.
Speaker 3: Sure, So a big part of what holds us back is our mindset, you know, the set of assumptions and attitudes about something. So you can someone learn a great method on let's say, making money, but if their mindset is, you know, I don't deserve it, or I have to hurt people in order to be able to you know, access that, then you're probably still going to be stuck, you know, in that area. So all behavior is belief driven. And so for me, a lie and for a limited idea entertained, it's not true. It's just something we're giving energy to. So, you know, to be able to unlimit yourself, you have to address these line like So, for example, one of them is intelligence is fixed. Right, It's one of those things where people believe that somehow your potential is fixed or your memory is fixed, like your shoe size, and that's absolutely not true. But the problem is if you believe it's true, you know, if you believe you can or can't either way, You're right, right, Henry Ford said that. But the truth is it's not how smart you are, it's how are you smart? There are multiple types of intelligence. Howard Gardner, you know, talked about this, you know, researches at Harvard University. So like so many things, intelligence is a combination of attitudes and actions, and it's really dependent on contexts. You know. A better belief is that intelligence is fluid. You know, I talk about in my work, we created a brain quiz at hundreds of thousands of people have gone through that talks about four different brain types, and I use it. I modeled it after elephant like els, and some dolphins and owls and cheetahs. It's just an illustration that, you know, we are smarter than we think. Another another lie that some people believe is that we only use ten percent of our brains.
Speaker 4: And I hear that a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's something that we've all heard this myth. You know, some of us heard it the first time in the classroom, some of us sort of from maybe a friend, some sort of through media, maybe documentary and TV show. And it's not true. In actuality, we use one hundred percent of our brain, just like we use one hundred percent of our body. Right, It's just some people use it differently, you know, more effectively or more efficiently than others. So the more the truth is, you know, is that you have all the power of your brain. It's available to you, and it's available to you now you know the utopia that each of us, you know, in these movies and television shows that depicts, it's already possible, you know, for us. And while we use all our brains, some people use their brain better than others, just says, you know, most people one hundred percent of their body. You know, there are somebodies that are faster, that are stronger, that are more flexible, that are more energized than others. And the key is to learn how to use your brain effectively efficiency, you know, as possible as you can, right, And that that's why I wrote the book. A new belief could be instead of you know that you use ten percent, is that I am learning how to use my whole brain in the best ways possible. You know. Another lie is mistakes are failures. You know. That's that's something I think a lot of people unconsciously believe and you know, it's my belief that that could hold you back because you're not going to do things if you're scared of, you know, making mistakes. I think we make mistakes. The mistakes don't have to make us, you know, the mistakes, you know, that's just nos. So there's no failure, there's only failure to learn something.
Speaker 2: As long as you learn from your mistakes, it's it's worth it's worthwhile to try.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I believe that, George. Just a lot of people think, you know, failure is the opposite of success, you know, and I think failure is part of success, right, you know, and so like I feel like failure like getting the feedback, feedback is the breakfast of champions, so you know, you know, and it's it's interesting the children, Like we have a newborn nine months and you know, he's like learning how to crawl and help propping himself up. And you know, if people fall, like children fall, they'll fall hundreds of times and they always get back up. But sometimes as adults where you know, we could try something, we'd take a salsa class or a coding glass something, and we don't do well at it the first time, which you know is normal and we just stopped right because we don't want to look look bad. And so I think there's no such thing as failure, is only failure to learn something.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: In another lie that I think is pervasive in the performance space or self improvement space is that knowledge is power. Like we've all heard the phrase knowledge is power, and I don't think it's really accurate. I think knowledge has the potential to be power. It only comes power when you utilize it. So many people know stuff, but they're not, you know, use utilizing that information. So I think knowledge times action is power. And so you know, these kind of lies, it's nice to make it more conscious as opposed to unconscious, because in order to change anything, you need a level of self awareness, right, you need to be able. You can't change something unless you know that it needs to be changed and you recognize that. So in the book we talk about some of the lives of learning and then how to be able to reframe them, and you know, to take care of your mindset. You know, I believe your brain is this incredible supercomputer and your self talk is a program and that will run. So you tell yourself, I'm not good at I don't know we're remembering people's names, you will not remember the name, and the next person you meet program your supercomputer not to people. Exactly. If people truly understand stood Georgia, like how powerful their mind is, they probably wouldn't say or think something they didn't want to be true. And that's not to say that you have one negative thought and ruins your life anymore than eating that donut ruin your life. But if you hate that doughnut dozens of times in a day, every single day, you know there will be an effect. And so I just want to remind people that your thoughts, your thoughts matter, and you don't have to believe everything that you think.
Speaker 4: Line number five is learning new things is very difficult.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think some people stop. You know, the two challenges is where people where we see and we have students in every country in the world in our online you know Accelebrated Learning Academy first Futerating Memory IM programs. We see the biggest decline usually when people in their covenant performance. When people graduate school, but somehow they associate that, you know, their education is done so as their learning right, they've learned everything that they need to learn. And then when people retire, because often when people retire, they stop using their brain, you know, actively, and unfortunately their bodies usually aren't that far behind. So instead of believing that, you know, learning new things is difficult, it can be. Certainly sometimes it's hard to learn new things, but that's where you grow. Right when you're listing, if somebody's exercising, it's the it's the novelty and the demand you have on your muscles that force it to adapt. And same thing with learning. You know, sometimes it is hard to learn new things, but what's more accurate is to understand that learning is a set of methods. It's a process, and you can certainly do it easier once you know how to learn right. My book Limitless They Expanded is all about metal learning. Meta learning is the science and the art of learning how to learn. When you learn new ways on how to learn the challenge of learning new things, it actually could be fun. You actually get easier and it's certainly more enjoyable. Line number six is one talking about criticism, that the criticism of other people, you know, matters, because people over index how important other people's opinions are, you know. And I spent a lot of time at senior centers, maybe because I lost my grandparents at an early age and I help them to improve their memory, polish off their memory. And I also hear some amaze so much, so many nuggets of wisdom and insights. I also hear a lot of regret, you know, And I just want to remind listeners that when we're taking our final breaths, you know, in those moments, none of them people's opinions or their expectations will have matter to us. Well, what will mattered is you know, what was most important. You know, maybe how you laughed and how you learned, and how you loved and how you lived. You know, I really think and you just to frame it in a different way, you know, I don't think we should take criticism from people. We wouldn't take advice from you know, maybe that could help reframe it for people. You know. The new belief is something like, it's not your job to like, love or respect me. It's mine, right, And so, you know, I feel like a lot of people are limited, They limit themselves because they're afraid of what people will think, you know. So I just like to put some healthy dose of perspective there. And then the seventh lie is that This is something I think a lot of people buy into, is that genius is born. You know, you're either born with you know, genius, or you're not.
Speaker 4: Just developed, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really think that genius is built, you know, more and more than anything that genius leaves clues and there's always a method behind what looks like magic. And that's been the nature of my work. When I perform in front of audiences, and I could be in front of a quarter million people totally in a year. You know, I travel a lot. I could be in three continents in a week, and if there's time, I'll be these demonstrations where I'll have like one hundred people stand up in an audience and pass around a microphone and introduce themselves and I will recite all of their names from memory that I do that, yeah, or an audience. You know, I just got out of a program at Google. I'm here in northern California right now, traveling on tour, and you know, and I'll have they'll challenge me. They'll may be fifty or one hundred digit number and I would call them forwards and backwards or one hundred random words. But I always tell people I don't do this to impress you. I do this express to you what's possible, because the truth is, again, we could all do this, we just weren't taught. You know, there was no class called memory. You know, they teach you three rs in school reading, writing, arithmetics. But what about retention? Right Socrates? Learning is remembering? And so you know, I feel like if you go to somebody and say, hey, play the ukulele, you know that'd be ludicrous if people have never taken a class well, going to somebody like a child or one of your coworkers and saying focus study, they've never taken classes on that. So I truly believe that genius is not so much born, but it's built. It's made through deep, deep practice like anything else.
Speaker 2: And what about the possibility of brain foods? What are some of the best.
Speaker 3: You know, I think the whole area of science. I do a whole chapter on the best foods you could eat for your brain health.
Speaker 4: You like guacamole, don't you?
Speaker 3: I really do avocados, A monoon saturated fat is good for the brain. This is a whole area of signs called neuro nutrition. Some of my favorite ones I don't give you everyone a memory eight on how to do this, so we can make such. It's a little memory masterclass. So some of my favorites that are researched to be neuroprotective Avocados, blueberries I have to call the brain berries. You know, the antoxins are very good for your brain. Broccoli, the sulfur fame in there is is very good for your brain. Number number fourth one is olive oil. You know, we hear a lot about mediterrane diet. It's very narrow protective if your diet allows. Eggs are like nature's multi vitamin. The coalen and eggs is very good for cognitive health and performance. Green leafy vegetables like kalen spinach is good for the brain. Your brain is mostly fat, so that's where you get the omega three's or the dhas like from fish. You always hear about eating uh, you know, wild salmon or sardines, those are definitely brain foods. I would add turmeric their curtains.
Speaker 4: I take that every day every day, So good for.
Speaker 3: You, George. It's it's anti inflammatory. Some people will take the turmeric and mix it with some almond milk and maybe a little bit of pepper and just make like a like a like some kind of golden milk for themselves. Walnuts are very good for the brain, high inviting and eating or protective walnuts. Interesting, they look like a human brain.
Speaker 4: They do.
Speaker 3: You're you're right, Yeah, it's something like a little memory aid. Like it's interesting. Certain foods support the organ that they look like. If you cut a tomato in half, it has four chambers, and tomatoes are good for the heart, right if you and these are kind of not based. These are more memory, uh, you know, kind of associations. If you kind of carrot and it looks like the human eye, and they say carrots are good for the eye, and on so on. And then finally the tenth one is dark chocolate, not milk, chocolate, not high sugar, but dark chocolate is very good for the brain also as well. What's good for your mood is generally good for your minds. So you know, these are ten foods and you could take a bunch of them even thrown into a blender and make a brain power smoothie. You know, the avocados, the green leavy vegetables, you know, chocolate powder, maybe you know some berries. I probably wouldn't put.
Speaker 4: The fish in there, not in the berries.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know, what you eat matters, especially for your brain matter.
Speaker 2: Before we had the internet going Jim, I had a friend of mine who had a poor memory, and she saw a television commercial for a kit which would improve your memory, except she forgot the toll free number.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I believe too. The most coffee words sometimes in life or in our work, or I forgot. If you think about the consequences and saying I forgot to do it, I forgot to bring it, I've got what I'm going to say, I forgot what they said, I forgot to go to that meeting, I forgot that person's name. I mean, just goes on and on. Every time we have those lapses, we could lose time, we could you know, compromise of relationship. But on the other side, memory can make you can make you the money, certainly because the faster you can learn, the faster you can earn. Because knowledge is the only power. Knowledge is profit Today most people listening, it's not like what's hundreds of years ago agricultural age or what work on assembly lines, where it's more boot strength. Today it's brain strength, right, It's not your muscle power. It's say it's online power. And again, the faster you can learn, the fast you can earn. If you can remember client information or product information, can a speech without notes, learn another language, improve your your vocabulary, remember what you read. I mean, all of these are real assets. And again it's everybody, regardless of your age and stage of life, can do it. They just need a guidebook. Right, and your brain is Your brain is amazing, right. You know, it only weighs about three pounds, but it is the most intricate and one of the most extraordinary things in the entire universe.
Speaker 1: Listen to more Coast to Coast AM every weeknight at one a m. Eastern and go to Coast to coastam dot com for more