Speaker 1: In one on one to see a couple of them in My tastes with ye and my lemonade, because I let the way.
Speaker 2: It tastes best.
Speaker 1: Cease has the Pirates?
Speaker 2: Can he let me run the base? Yeah?
Speaker 1: My tame has like my money because I can't afford to waste. Oh why see is alloyer? Take my date to my dates? Or to stick by the plate synick case have the case from my race at my pace Cleared brans.
Speaker 3: Let a Snake Episode four oh one, only thirty five minutes late, so we're right on time, ladies and gentlemen. As always myself Adam Shore, we're here with Jim Stam know Scott Moore today due to some technical difficulties, and it's hard to point the finger on this one because we have no idea what's going on. We've kind of chalked it up to an issue with stream yard and the fact that we're thirty five minutes past showtime.
Speaker 4: We're just gonna go for it today.
Speaker 3: And why delay it any longer, Jim, When it's episode four oh one and the Pirates just lost three of four to the Milwaukee after losing three or four to the Cincinnati Reds, the floor is yours.
Speaker 5: Well, maybe our technical difficulties and not figuring out who's at fault is very apropos should I say for the Pirates, because it seems like anytime anything's going well, something else is the problem, and it's very uneven and they can't get everything to kind of get going at the same time.
Speaker 2: And you know, listen, Adam, buddy.
Speaker 6: We we're not performing an autopsy just yet, but I feel like we're in last rights territory, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So doesn't it feel that way to you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you know what, the autopsy's gonna show. There's not a who done it situation here, it's we're very well aware of what's going on. You said it perfectly though. It's just the stars have not aligned for this team this season. You go into the season and it's this should be one of the best staffs in baseball, and you'll get Jared Jones back, and then you'll worry about just the abundance of arms that you have. This is going to be a great problem you bring in bats. The offense right away is top five in baseball. They've been awesome. The bullpen's bad. At the beginning of the year, the bullpen's bad a quarter of the way through the year. The bullpen's bat up until the All Star break, You've blown seventeen eighteen nineteen saves.
Speaker 4: You can't hold games. So what do you do.
Speaker 3: You go out and you address the bullpen. You bring in the best reliever in baseball outside of Mason Miller and Luke Weaver. You bring in Camilla Deval, who has good stuff control a bit of an issue.
Speaker 4: You bring in a veteran in Kirby Yates.
Speaker 3: You bring in Lake Baker, who has been really good outside of a couple of starts this year. And then the offense can't get going, and the bullpen's been pretty good lately. They've been fine, They've been doing enough to keep them in games. And then you start to realize the worst case scenario is happening. Where I didn't mention the defense, which was also a concern, but you were scoring enough runs and you hope the starting pitching can keep you in it. But now not only can the offense not score enough runs, the defense is also causing you more pain in anguish than the starting rotation or then the bullpen. So it's just a rotating cast of the worst case scenario throughout the year. And it's sad to say it, but like or I shouldn't say sad. I think it's incredible to say that this team is still somehow around the five hundred mark with everything that they've gone through. Gym, it's kind of outstanding considering all of the losses that they've had and they're still what four games four and a half games back, like you'd expect them to be twenty at this point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's that's what's so frustrating about it, right, you know, And it's like, you know, we uh, since Steeler training camp is upon us.
Speaker 2: Mike Tomlin liked to.
Speaker 5: Talk about popcorn right like it was all these like popcorn issues just popping up around that were causing them to lose.
Speaker 2: As a team.
Speaker 5: And I definitely feel like that is what is happening right now.
Speaker 2: It's like.
Speaker 5: It's full blown popcorn now and they cannot seem to steady the ship enough to get through it. And it's really happening at the worst possible time. And I don't know, Adam, if you look at things, does this did as Merlin Valdez cover things up offensively for about a month when this team has lost so much offensively, with Cruz and KG and O'Hearn going down and Horowitz and whatever did was he covering up some warts and then when he went cold too, boy, it's it's not a pretty site offensively.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because when he went cold, or I should say the inverse, when he was hot, guys like Brandon Low and Ryan O'Hearn and Brian Reynolds were starting to slow down significantly, but he was providing enough power in the middle of that lineup almost unprecedented. You know, there's only been a few guys that did what he did right out the gates. Okay, he's got what sixteen seventeen home runs already he mashed and a lot of those were multi run home runs, right, two run, three run home runs, And that can change the game. This team has lacked in the past month or so, a guy that, or at least multiple guys that can swing the bat in a moment's notice and change a game like an oneal cruise. Brandon Law was that guy starting to get back to it a little bit more now he went deep today, But yeah, I would say as Maryland was a huge component of them just staying afloat.
Speaker 4: A massive one.
Speaker 3: And you mentioned some tomlinisms here, and I think one that's really relevant is pressure, Okay, because pressure is forever relevant, Jim. You're either feeling it or you're applying it, all right, and the Pirates are definitely feeling it right now. They have not applied pressure to any team that they've played.
Speaker 4: After the All Star Break.
Speaker 3: You thought coming out to Cleveland, it looked better, right, It looked good. Jacob Gonzalez gets his first starts back after being traded as Maryland Valdez. Again, looks good. They take care of business, and then it kind of just all goes downhill. And I think it's just a product of maybe guys trying to do too much, not being familiar with the situations that they're in, and then also just a lot of moving pieces and a lot of just not being lucky with all the doubleheaders and all the extra innings and the weather delays and you got wildfires.
Speaker 4: They just haven't been able to catch a break.
Speaker 3: And that's not an excuse, but it's just a recipe for disaster for a team that really needs everything to click at one time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a bit of a bit of a hodgepodge of factors coming together and nothing you do bring up a good point. You know, besides Brandon Lawe, who won this team, has been in this situation, you know, where you know games matter and you don't have a lot of room for error. We've either got young guys that clearly would never have experienced it because they're young. Or take for instance, Brian Reynolds. He has never played in games in August that have, you know, and certainly his whether it's due to this or not, but he's not swinging the bat well. As a matter of fact, he had a really bad series here against Milwaukee.
Speaker 2: So I do think you have guys that aren't used to being in this situation.
Speaker 5: And boy, baseball is not the sport you want to pick the press. It's you know, it rarely goes well. And I think you've seen signs of that. Young guys trying to do too much and veterans maybe just not coming up with the hits that you had hoped.
Speaker 2: That they would.
Speaker 3: There's two other guys that have pitched in meaningful situations. One has been here for what three games in Camillo de all and one Luke Weaver, who.
Speaker 4: Has just not pitched at all.
Speaker 3: Yet Yeah, those are on the other two guys that have pitched in big moments or have played in big moments, I should say, Right, they showed a clip of Brandon Low hitting a home run in the World Series off to us in May today that you know, we haven't had a moment like that in.
Speaker 4: Thirteen years or whatever it is, Right, So.
Speaker 3: There's a lot going on, and I think it boils down to this gym is we talked about them having enough talent.
Speaker 4: Well, I guess here, I'll circle back.
Speaker 3: Marcelo Zuna was probably the last guy I played in a meaningful moment, and ironically, yeah, so I think it comes down to this. And we talked to guys on the show earlier on in the year when they started to first go through their little bit of skid with the comeback, when they Philadelphia came to town and Dennis Intana blew up and they thought they had those series and these things were just getting away from them, and we really could tell that they were just not getting beat but losing games, and they were so close to just taking a lot of series that they weren't taking. And you could still feel confident that this was a good baseball team. You talked to guys like Jake Mangum and Brandon Lau and they told us on the show, Yeah, we know we're not happy with where we're at, but like we got to keep pushing and it's going to be there eventually. We've talked to coaches on the team that are just waiting for that streak that seemingly every baseball team somewhat goes through. Every confidence in baseball team goes have gone bad. Teams will win ad in a row. This team just hasn't been able to do it. And I think that's going to be the biggest killer looking back on it is, Hey, this team had a lot of good talent.
Speaker 4: They had enough to win. They just couldn't string them together.
Speaker 3: And we could talk about bouncing back and going out there and beating the Mets. It's got to start somewhere, right, Like, I'm not ready to give up. Baseball is a crazy sport. I've seen crazier things happen. I've seen teams going runs. But it's going to come down to this team just going on that Red Sox like run or that Colorado like run when they were in the World Series with Clint Hurtle where you just don't lose ball games and you're playing good baseball, and there hasn't been enough shown as of late to make a fan feel confident in that.
Speaker 4: I still feel confident because I mean a.
Speaker 3: Part of me is a little bit sick in the head, and I like watching baseball, and I know how difficult this game is, and I know how anything can happen on any given day. You talk about any given Sunday, BS baseball is really any given day, anything can happen. Anyone can win, doesn't matter who's out there. You could have nine show heyo, tanis something different can happen every single day.
Speaker 4: And the concerning part.
Speaker 3: Is not the bullpen, the offense, slowing, the starting rotation. It's just the inability for one, even all of it to click at maybe around fifty sixty percent, but just to win three games in a row, right, or to carry over wins two wins from a series into another series. It feels like every single series we're starting over. We're in that mentality where, Okay, we lose to the Reds, the Brewers got to take care of the Brewers statement series, Oh that doesn't happen.
Speaker 4: We go to the Mets.
Speaker 3: Oh can't beat the Mets. All right, it's gonna start now, right. We shouldn't be living series to series. It should be more of a cohesive like, let's get this thing rolling here. And it's just too much choppiness right now, Jim, it really is. And that's the most frustrating part to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think when you look at this thing like.
Speaker 5: This is why all those games that the bullpen struggled early, Like really, this is where you really feel like the brunt of it, right, because teams do go through stretches where you just don't play good baseball and you don't hit the ball even you know, I mean, look at the Dodgers right now.
Speaker 2: With what they're doing.
Speaker 5: They're not hitting the ball all that well, they're struggling, But you build up a cushion, right, so then when these things kind of occur, you're not you know, hanging on for dear life and by a threat.
Speaker 2: So this is where those games in May.
Speaker 5: And June really come back, and you really feel it because if you go to and six like they just did, but you have built up you.
Speaker 2: Know, you're nine ten games over five hundred.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it stings, but you're still in a decent spot to still accomplish the goals you want to.
Speaker 2: And that's where I.
Speaker 5: Think it really comes down to, Like, this season's probably not been lost now. It was lost early, and it was lost in April, May and June with the struggles.
Speaker 4: That they've had.
Speaker 5: That's just my take on I don't know if you agree with it, but because the offense was never going to just rake from Game one to one sixty two, they just weren't.
Speaker 3: That's how baseball works, especially offense. It's impossible. You just mentioned the Dodgers are going through it and the Dodgers can do no wrong. Yeah, if you look back on it and the season doesn't go the way we wanted to go at the end of August, going into September, whatever it is, you're gonna look back a little bit deeper into those games where Dennis Santana was blowing game after game after game where they couldn't find the strike zone, where you're going through different bullpen arms, and you add it up and it's like, oh my god, Like, where could this team go if everything worked out?
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, that's just not the situation right now, and that's just not where we're at.
Speaker 5: No and that's what's so confusing about this team, because you still look at things like war and f R and run differential.
Speaker 2: It doesn't add up, you know. And then part of.
Speaker 5: That, I think is just like we knew this roster wasn't perfectly constructed, and little things chip.
Speaker 2: Away at that.
Speaker 5: And it's been enough to where we're sitting here in August and we're not listen. A week ago they were in a playoff spot. So a lot can change in a week obviously, I mean we're five games out now, you know, but what we've got seven weeks left. A lot can change in those seven weeks too. But man, they gotta start stringing together. They don't even have to win seven in a row, but hey, eight of eleven something like that.
Speaker 2: To get you back on the positive side of things.
Speaker 3: There needs to be an energy shift their hats. The guys are doing too much, you know what. I think I've done this on the show before, But by the third fourth inning, we're hearing a lot of this gym.
Speaker 4: Pittsburgh is out.
Speaker 3: Of challenge just because we're getting a lot of emotional at bats. Yeah right, We're getting a lot of guys trying to do too much where you're seeing challenges on one two counts or two to one counts, when guys are up in the count early on in a game where they just they're trying to do too much in even low leverage situations, and then you're putting yourself at risk deeper into the games where the challenges just keep getting worse and worse.
Speaker 4: I mean, like, the guys at the end of the day have to perform.
Speaker 3: And this is a really tough time of the year for the Pirates Universe, Pirates Twitter Universe, because everybody wants to point a finger, right.
Speaker 2: Sure, it's it's blame. It's blame time.
Speaker 3: Right, I'll say this. You're still watching baseball games right now. Okay, by this time last year, you're fully locked in on Aaron Rodgers on.
Speaker 4: The Pat McAfee show.
Speaker 3: All right, Like there is still some conversation about this team doing right by you.
Speaker 4: They have to execute.
Speaker 3: There are glaring issues right now that are preventing this team from stacking. Okay, and what I think it really boils down to Jim And there's a decent amount of people here listening.
Speaker 4: Now. This team desperately needs Connor. Griffin desperately needs Connor Griffin. We talked about when the first and when he was out and Cruise was out and Horwitz was out, that he needs to be back.
Speaker 3: Like all these other guys, they're key in the lineup, but he is the guy. When they went into this offseason, they understood he was going to be a part of this team and he was going to be the biggest, call it free agency acquisition, if you will, your biggest addition to this team that wasn't here last year Without him, there's too many question marks.
Speaker 4: There's not enough guys that can create havoc.
Speaker 3: There's not enough gloves of that type of caliber out on the field. You have more guys playing out of position because of that. You could put him anywhere in the lineup. He's gonna take bases without him, it's rough. Like getting Horowitz back, fantastic. I think you're starting to put together some decent at bats now. He's making some good contact. Getting Cruise back. We'll see how that goes. With the hand injury. We really haven't gotten any updates, but Connor Griffin is the biggest glaring hole on this team right now. I don't know if people disagree with that or agree with that, but the kid's twenty years old and he is the glue to actually making what they wanted to put out in the field work.
Speaker 4: Without him, it all falls apart.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would say that Connor Griffin.
Speaker 2: Is like.
Speaker 5: He's the y and the juice, right, Like they look they look like a different team and a different offense, I would say him, and then o'hearne was like the heart, the heart.
Speaker 2: Part of it that. Like, really.
Speaker 5: Since o hearne went down, they've looked really pedestrous, like to another level.
Speaker 2: So like to me, those are the two guys.
Speaker 5: They seem like, look, they're all important, and when you start stacking them on top of one another, as this team has had to do, certainly it's a cumulative effect and it's gonna matter.
Speaker 2: But those those two guys, to me, it's just a shame because the Griffin stuff has been really kind of like, I don't know if you want to say freakish, but.
Speaker 5: Kind of freakish, like he's he's These are not typical injuries, right, and so you know there's been some bad luck here too. And I don't I don't want to make excuses for Bob nutting and Ben sharing and whatever, but you know, it's been on the offensive side, it's been a lot to overcome. And Griffin, certainly, you know, the way he affects the game in every possible way.
Speaker 2: Is hard to overcome.
Speaker 5: And at the most critical defensive position in my opinion.
Speaker 4: There it is the short thought.
Speaker 3: Man, Yeah, that's the position that they've lacked for years and years and years, and you get a guy of that caliber, and there was talks about maybe putting him in center field when he was coming up through the system, and he just kept getting better in the middle of the infield, and yeah, losing KG and Rhino, I tell you what, Jim, when we were in the clubhouse in Cincinnati, we go into the locker room after that heartbreaking loss where there's the Brandon Law air that nicknsals mental freeze throwing to second base, which we really didn't get into too much on the last show because your eyes can see what's going on here.
Speaker 4: We don't need to state the obvious for you.
Speaker 3: But people say when you like, you could hear a pin draw right, and it's kind of it's just like, oh, yeah, okay, Like it was the quietest I've ever seen a major league clubhouse in our time doing this, and it was so sad because you could see, like for the first time this year, like there's been other times where we've gone in there after a heartbreaking loss and you know, some guys are still talking or drinking beers and understanding, like, hey, shower, well today, you think about it maybe till midnight and then tomorrow's a new day. It was the first time where it seemed different, right, like now that maybe it's meaningful baseball, like that was really a stake that maybe's not driven all the way into the skull, but it's it's almost there, right, and somebody's got their foot down on it. And between you know, Nikki g and then seeing Rhino in the crutches, it was it was truly it was heartbreaking, Like I felt, was.
Speaker 2: That the game that o'harn got hurt it right?
Speaker 4: Yes, okay.
Speaker 3: And it was also the first time where we've gone to a Don Kelly postgame press conference and Donnie, as you know now, you get a lot of coach speak with it. He's going to back his guys, he's going to try and keep it positive and you know, tomorrow's a new day. And he did for the most part, but you could tell like it was the first time where I really saw him.
Speaker 4: A bit dejected as well.
Speaker 3: And then you start to realize, like, how can these guys back up from it?
Speaker 4: Like how like how can you get back on the horse?
Speaker 3: And man, it's starting to become more difficult between losing those guys Jim and then dealing with the pressure of trying to make a postseason and forever.
Speaker 4: It's it's a tough hill to climb.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think too, like, hey, by the way, Matt, glad to have you, buddy. I don't think Austin Hayes is in the picture. I think they're going to look inward for anything with this clubhouse right now, try to get it. I think additions are are are done and over with if they get it done. Matt asks, what's your opinion of bringing in Austin Hayes. I don't, Adam, do you foresee anything at this point?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 4: No, it's a flyer.
Speaker 3: I think the Ronnie Simon move tells you all that you need to know and for what it's worth. I love the bats that he put together today. I mean, the guy's making hard contact defensively. He scares me a little bit out there I think that's been the case his whole career. He's been able to barrel balls pretty well, but put together some things at bats. So whatever you're getting now is going to be internally and unless, yeah, someone really falls into their lap.
Speaker 5: I think so I got sidetracked there. I'm not even sure what we were talking about before.
Speaker 4: I just.
Speaker 2: I do think it's going to be looking internally.
Speaker 5: And you know, I think what I think watching this Brewers series, it's hard not to be super impressed with them. You know, they they man, they just play a solid brand of baseball. They put the ball in play, They make great decisions on the bass pads, they throw to the right bases, their pitchings very solid. Their bullpen is really good. It's hard to have to be impressed with them. I think, you know, the Pirates have tried to win a lot of games just by kind of you know, out hitting teams. But you see what a really good sound baseball team Milwaukee is, and they impressed me in this series because on paper, I don't think you would look at this and think they're that much better than the Pirates, or at least offensively, but yet they keep rolling.
Speaker 3: Jim, They're only going to get better, Like I don't know if you've looked at their minor league system, Like, this team is going to get better. They have his Zeus made number one prospect in baseball. Who's gonna be up? Luis Pena is going to be up. At some point, they were in the talks for Trek Scouble. Could you imagine? Could you imagine having to go through Schooble and miz Like.
Speaker 2: I thought Justin Dustin May was a super stright pickup.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he looked great today too. He's got experience in the postseason as well. So, man, we're really gonna have to dig deep. Talking you forget the team right now, Like, let's focus on the people watching the show and the people that tune in every single day.
Speaker 4: You're gonna have to dig deep.
Speaker 3: It gets tough as a fan watching one hundred and sixty two games.
Speaker 4: And I know a lot of you out there do that.
Speaker 2: I do that.
Speaker 4: I go to eighty of them a year, right, Jim goes too close to that.
Speaker 3: I mean, like we're at the ballpark all the time, and when you're not, you're watching the games or you're digesting some type of baseball information.
Speaker 4: We're again we're not well. We're not well people.
Speaker 3: That's why we're doing this right now, why we're talking to you.
Speaker 2: We're very sick. We're very sick, man.
Speaker 3: And and I don't know if this is a cope for myself, but to keep that positive mentality and understanding that baseball is an extremely difficult game and anything can happen. That's going to be like the main factor that's pushing us forward as fans. Now, we're going to still show up to the ballpark. We're going to grind it out every single day and and make what we do fun because baseball is fun. But in terms of the viewer experience, it's hard to hang on to every single pitch knowing that you're falling deeper and deeper into the hole.
Speaker 4: And that's what's going to be difficult.
Speaker 3: And I really hope I don't see an empty P and C park that gets worse and worse as the season progresses, Like I really want to capture this moment that you said it beautifully earlier on in the show. A week ago, they had sole possession of that wildcard spot and then it goes.
Speaker 4: Away in a week.
Speaker 3: So in a week's time, something can change and your opinion can change right now.
Speaker 4: It's okay to be a little bit sad and upset about it. That's fine.
Speaker 3: I think riding that emotional roller coaster throughout the baseball season is necessary.
Speaker 4: But just remember things can change, guy.
Speaker 3: Teams could go on crazy losing streaks like things have happened now, have they put themselves in a situation where a lot of other external factors need to happen in order for them to succeed this year?
Speaker 4: Of course, one hundred percent. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Other teams need to lose, Other teams need to fall apart to some degree, and the Pirates have to take advantage of that. But we gotta find that one game this year. We gotta find that one game. And I've been trying to circle every game. I'm like, okay, after Game one of the Brewers series, if they win Game two, I'm making a video, a hype video, getting everybody on board, saying like, this is when we go on our run, this is when we get hot.
Speaker 4: The team needs to get hot. I'm gonna be I'm gonna beat it.
Speaker 3: Told that the team needs to get hot, gen they need to go on a streak in order for us to keep believing it just has to happen.
Speaker 5: WHOA, Hey, look, I'll go back to what you just said. There's one thing in particular is like I would prefer not to go to these games and people take out forty years of frustration on this club, Like I don't think and you know, people will hear this and say, well forty years. I'm tired and I'm sick of it, and I'm a fan, and I pay for tickets and I'll go and say what I want and do what I want. I don't think the effort on the field has been the issue.
Speaker 2: With this team. I think things could have.
Speaker 5: Turned out different, and I'll hope that they will. And if they don't, Man, I don't see it with this team that they deserve that type of vitriol. I think there's been enough things happen with them that probably I don't think they deserve that. And I think that's maybe what you're touching on too, is that this team, Yeah, is that this team? I mean Ryan O'Hearn exploded his squad in the bottom of the ninth on a ground out because trying to give you ninety feet and try to get on base. You know, have things worked out?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: Has Skeme's been good down the stretch, Absolutely not, and they deserve criticism for that. But just you know, to the extent that when I go to a game, yeah, I would still prefer to see most of these guys are giving their best effort.
Speaker 2: It just hasn't worked out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think both can be true, right, Like you shouldn't be booing the product on the field, and like, I think at the same time, like you can be an encouraging fan and you could be upset with some decisions that are made, Like that's your right as a baseball fan. And you mentioned forty years of losing, Like, I think you're entitled to some of that, absolutely, and it shouldn't it shouldn't run your life to the point where you're just a miserable human being walking around. Again, I am most of the time, because yeah.
Speaker 4: Look what we're doing right now.
Speaker 3: But all of it can be true, and you could still show up there and be a Pirates fan.
Speaker 4: Like, let's boil it down to what that is right now.
Speaker 3: And I'm not trying to give you some type of propaganda speech, but like, if we're going to play some meaningful baseball, I think this is a big part of it, and I think it's showing up and trying to live and like right again, ride the highs and the lows, and hope that the highs start to pick up a little bit more throughout this year because we don't know what's going to happen next year.
Speaker 4: We don't know what that's going to look like. And you know, for.
Speaker 3: The first time in a long time, you got some guys on this team that are very likable, that are very talented, that can do it.
Speaker 4: We're just unfortunately not seeing it right now.
Speaker 3: And that sucks, Like, don't get me wrong, that sucks watching those games and just feeling so out of it, and every loss really just adding you know, maybe a loss earlier in the year adds like a feather to the scales, but now it's five at a time, and it's starting you're starting to feel it a lot more.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, like it really comes down to, is you know, seven weeks left.
Speaker 2: You need a good week or two.
Speaker 5: If you don't get that good week or two, it's you know, the odds aren't are not in your favor.
Speaker 2: They need that. Will they get it?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Am I gonna try to go and enjoy baseball, simply because I don't know what's going on beyond this year.
Speaker 2: You know, we've talked about it many times off you know, off camera, which is we don't know. And so.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they've certainly given themselves zero room for error. We'll we'll see what this weekend looks like and go from there.
Speaker 2: That's all we can do.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna ask you, Jim, Yeah, what's going on with Paul? Because the your ear a's over five in the last month. It's not being good in people want to talk about the villa. Even the villa looked a little bit up against the Brewers, but it just the command isn't there, and maybe the fastball velocity is when that's down the a speeder, the secondary stuff isn't as significant anymore, and the splinker isn't working, and everything that made Paul Skins what Paul Skins is right now is out the window.
Speaker 4: And it just seems like it's still odd.
Speaker 3: And I posted the day before like Tomorrow's Skeens Day, because I still truly believe that, like anytime Paul Skins takes them ount, he can go out there and be Paul Skins.
Speaker 4: But it just feels.
Speaker 3: Different, like watching him out there, the presence doesn't feel like for the first time in his short career, which feels long because of the Rookie of the Year and the dominance and Cy Young and everything that he's been to major League Baseball, it feels noticeable when you're looking at him, like for the first time, it feels like he knows something is off and the aura that we've is that grown to love is baiting a little bit now, not to say that he can't get that back, but in terms of twenty twenty six, that window seems to be closing a little bit.
Speaker 4: As we get deeper into the season.
Speaker 3: By now you'd think, Okay, he makes the necessary adjustment or tweak in the mechanics or whatever it may be to get back there.
Speaker 4: But it's not looking so good right now.
Speaker 2: No, I think, like you go back to.
Speaker 5: Look, the VLO was up, So that tells me it is a bit of a decision on his part, right like, like, we don't here's the.
Speaker 2: Thing about Paul. Paul does what Paul does.
Speaker 5: And you know he has his own thing, and that's fine, He's earned that. But I do think that that answered some of those questions of is is it a choice philosophy wise, Yeah, I think he was trying to do that to maybe extend in himself into games and whatnot. Velocity was up, that was a good sign. But what it really comes down to him baseball is unless you're Jacob Izarowski and you're gonna be throwing one oh three, one oh four, location still matters. Like location is everything in baseball, and he just hasn't had that. And now does location beat Paul's schemes like it does most pitchers. Maybe not, but it puts guys on base and it racks.
Speaker 2: Up his pitch count, So.
Speaker 5: Like maybe it doesn't hurt him with like the homers and whatnot, But then you add in location walks, and then off speed stuff is more hittable because guys like Adam You know this as a hitter, when a guy's throwing gas, you have to kind of sell out.
Speaker 2: To catch up to it.
Speaker 5: You take two, three, four miles an hour off of that gas. All of a sudden you have a little bit extra time to deal with the slider, the sinker, the curve, the change up. And I think that's what's made him vulnerable. But really, at the end of the day, pictures that don't locate oftentimes get themselves in trouble. These these these major league hitters are too good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're too good.
Speaker 3: Man well said, you saw it against the Brewers when they miked up Brian Reynolds, which.
Speaker 4: By the way, getting.
Speaker 3: Good forever who had to go through that, because that could not have been easy and it might have only been a couple of seconds. But good for Brian for taking us into the encircle, in into the on deck circle and bringing us through his thought process.
Speaker 4: And while his words were.
Speaker 3: Small and little and condensed into a very specific, concise if vice is.
Speaker 4: The word I was looking for, Thank you, Jimmothy.
Speaker 3: What he said meant a lot, because this guy's throwing really hard and they ask what his approach is and he's like, pretty much gotta sit, heater and react anything else, Like that's what you gotta do against a guy that's pumping ninety six plus because.
Speaker 4: If not, you are screwed. You're screwed.
Speaker 3: Unless you're that uber talented and your hands could work as fast as anyone else in the game, and you can get barrel to ball quicker than anybody, you got to sell out a little bit, and it's just so difficult, It really is. And when Paul's not hitting his spots and the VLO isn't to that point where guys have to sell out a little bit.
Speaker 4: It's not a good recipe, man, it's not.
Speaker 5: That's the difference, right, And especially like a lot of pictures work up in that zone, right, and if you can't, like ninety eight ninety nine up in the zone, maybe strikes that is you have to sell out for that to even get a piece of it most of the time. So I think that's the difference, right, And he's missing a lot more than he did.
Speaker 2: He's never been by the way.
Speaker 5: This shouldn't be a news flash to people with Paul Skins. He's never been this this uh pinpoint control guy.
Speaker 2: His stuff would play.
Speaker 5: In the zone and out of it, but the velocity was there with it too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to say this before we move on to anything else, because we do have to preview the Mets. We do have more baseball to play, Like at some point we should cut this show right now and talk about what's ahead.
Speaker 4: But I just got word, you know, like.
Speaker 3: When you get those alerts on your phone, when your phone starts buzzing in something is happening in your area that you need to be COGNI is an over lookout. Well, apparently Scott's on the run right now. And he was so upset that he could not log into the stream yard tonight and that his connection was bad or he was getting an echo, and he said, boys, just go ahead without me.
Speaker 4: He committed some crimes.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna say what those crimes are because that's for the court to decide. But I think at the end of the day, the fine folks over at Farrell Weaver and Oakin are going to get him in a place where eventually you see Scott back on the show.
Speaker 4: All right, because the fine folks at Farah.
Speaker 3: Weaver and Oakin, they're gonna fight for your rights, providing aggressive and criminal defense, the pellet representation when the stakes are the highest, when accounts most experience matters, call Farah Weaver in Oakin today any of your legal needs.
Speaker 4: I really really hope.
Speaker 3: Scott is okay, because this show does not run without Scott more.
Speaker 4: But the kid keeps finding trouble. It follows him. I don't know what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's wrong place, wrong time, all the time. I don't know how about as possible.
Speaker 5: He didn't seem he didn't seem that nuts when he when when when he couldn't get on tonight. But you know, Scott's Scott's a Scott's an interesting cat.
Speaker 2: Let's just leave it at that.
Speaker 4: It boils up at some point.
Speaker 3: And for the amount of crimes that Scott has committed on this show, I'm not even certain he's going to be able to vote in the next election. Like it's getting to that point where I think Scott might be really, really, really.
Speaker 4: Getting rid of his rights.
Speaker 2: It's close. I'm sure. I'm sure. Uh Ron Maranacio didn't help this whole.
Speaker 3: Losing Ron Maranaccio, Yeah, did not help Scott Moore, the most Italian man I know, not Ron Maranaccio, Italian AF.
Speaker 4: Guys. Let's talk about the mess, all right.
Speaker 2: The Luke Weaper Bowl is like bowl.
Speaker 4: This is going to be an interesting series, all right.
Speaker 3: The Mets enter fifty and sixty six, their last in the NL East. If you remember the last time we played the Mets, it was that the disasters opening weekend where.
Speaker 4: Nothing sep went right?
Speaker 2: Is that the last time?
Speaker 4: Wow? Yeah? Right? Crazy?
Speaker 3: So that seems like a decade ago. A lot's happened since then. Thursday, tomorrow, or I should say Friday, You're gonna get Carmen Macginski Versach Thornton. Thornton this year is two and two with a two eight eight ERA in six games, thirty four and a third innings pitch twenty four k's one oh five whip. The arsenal for Thornton is a cutter, four seam, sweeper, slider, sinker, change curve.
Speaker 4: Again. This is a lefty and a strike thrower.
Speaker 2: All right, he's goodness, yeah, goodness.
Speaker 4: Very good news.
Speaker 3: He's going to succeed with command, sequencing, changing speeds, taxa zone, works quickly and keeps his defense in gage show. You're gonna put the ball in play, hopefully against the lefty. The slide is his best swinging miss offering. He's gonna throw it to both lefties and righty's, especially when a head in the count got to be aggressive early on fastballs. Then you got Bubba Chandler versus right handed pitcher Robert Stock. This year, Stock is zero to one with a one eight ERA one game, five innings, five k's with a point six whip, so not much of a sample size there. The Arsenal is a cutter for seams, sinker, sweeper change. Thirty six year old right hander has reinvented himself Jim multiple times, from being drafted as a catcher to pitching a major league baseball starring in the Korean Baseball League, and working his way.
Speaker 4: Back to the majors.
Speaker 3: He's going to attack hitters aggressively with high octane fastballs, look for strikeouts if hitters catch up to the heater.
Speaker 4: Hard contact fallows.
Speaker 3: Because he doesn't consistently locate his secondary pitches. By the way, if you want to get more in detailed analysis on all of these pitchers, do yourself a favor. If you're watching on YouTube right now or Facebook or x open up another tab, go to Bucko, banter dot com, hit join the community, or our faces will show up with Kilapino Hannah.
Speaker 4: Put in your email, go to your email, hit opt in.
Speaker 3: Go to your email, click on the email, hit opt in, and you'll get all these and more Before every single series, Jared Jones will close it out on Sunday versus left handed pitcher Sean Manaiah So two lefties, guys, Yeah, he lefties woo this year Manaiah three and five with the four to three three era in twenty four games, ninety seven two thirds innings, pitch ninety five k's with a one three to eight whip. He pitched against the Pirates on March twenty ninth. He went one to one third, one hit, no earn, two walks, two k's in the four to three Pittsburgh win. Was that the one win they had that series had.
Speaker 2: To be yeah, because that, yes, it was.
Speaker 3: I think it was arsenal four seam thirty seven percent of the time, low nineties, and then everything else. Sweeper, sinker, cutter, change he's gonna mix in delivery creates a difficult angle for both lefty and righty hitters, making his fastball play up harder than the radar gun is going to suggest. Change of eye levels is done very well well. Isn't afraid to pitch inside. Sweeper is a primary put away, while the sinkers used to generate ground balls against righties don't expand with two strike, sweepers designed for chase, so do not chase, can't chase? All right, that's gonna be it for the Mets. You're getting two lefties and a hard throwing righty. Do I give my pump up speech. Go get them out of boys right now? Like, I feel like we've done enough of that already. You get fireworks tomorrow. If you're gonna find any excuse to get out there, get out there for the fireworks.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, we got fireworks. We got jay Hay. I think is that Saturday? Oh?
Speaker 5: And listen, I don't even know. I don't even know what day this is? Are you keeping that part secret too?
Speaker 2: With the glove?
Speaker 4: I'll tell you this.
Speaker 3: It's either going to be tomorrow or Saturday. Okay, it's going to be during batting practice. At some point we're going to try and give this bad boy away. This is like I I keep this in my office and it's taken everything in my power not to start breaking this bad boy in.
Speaker 5: How many times have you sniffed that glove since you've had it in your possession?
Speaker 4: Brother? I can't sniff it enough.
Speaker 3: There's not enough seconds in the day.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 5: I'm pulling that quote right there, yeah, with with no with no context.
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 4: It's?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: I tell you what.
Speaker 3: My dad came over yesterday and I was telling him about forty four and I go check this bad boy out.
Speaker 4: And I tossed it to him. This is the first thing he does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, because this thing is genuine leather man this and like I've been putting, I'm not gonna lie like I've put it on my hand and I've given it a couple of like you know, out of boys, here we go. Somebody's got to be able to close it. I'll give you another hint. Got to be able to close the glove a little bit in order to win this for the giveaway, So I wanted to make it a little bit on the hinges so you can close it. But I'm more of a two finger guy in the in the pinky and then leave the pocket open, so I'm not trying to do that to mess up. However, the future person wants to hold this glove, but it is a right handed glove, so I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: For all the lefties.
Speaker 3: Maybe we'll get one out here eventually, but we're gonna give this away. Shout out to forty four pro. You can go to forty four pro dot com. If you miss out on this, just go to the website. Buco twenty. Enter Bucco twenty at checkout for twenty percent off and entirely custom made glove. I think you can get the gloves now with the Pokemon cards in him or with the toploader in the glove, so you could put your favorite card in the glove.
Speaker 4: How cool is that.
Speaker 2: It's fantastic.
Speaker 5: There's gonna be somebody, a right handed person that is gonna be very happy with this glove.
Speaker 2: That's all I can say.
Speaker 4: It's yeah, and I might just start buying baseball gloves. To start buying baseball gloves now.
Speaker 2: I'm actually proud of you.
Speaker 5: You haven't like, you haven't like smashed the middle of the glove in to bend it a little bit. You haven't flared a thumb, you haven't done anything like you just you. You're trying to keep it fresh for whoever gets it.
Speaker 4: I am in this. It's killing me. Yeah, it's killing me. Like we got to get to this weekend.
Speaker 3: I'm also gonna give a shout out, not a sponsor the show, but someone we've collabed with in a company that we absolutely love.
Speaker 4: And if you didn't get the shirts, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: The yellow Bridge Vintage shirts were absolutely incredible and maybe there's a collab in the future. But my man Grant from yellow Bridge Vintage stop by today to give me some stuff, and he gave me some of these as Maryland Valdes stickers that he created, and I have a handful of them that I'll be given away at the park. I'll give one to you, Jim and Ben over there, but really cool sticker. And you can go on Yellowbridge Vintage dot com and get the as Marilynd Valdes collab shirts. Now go go support small businesses and Grant is not only a great person, but he is extremely talented. And if you love the Buco Banter yellow Bridge shirts, you're gonna love the as Marilynd Dell deaz ones.
Speaker 4: Anyone else that I'm missing here?
Speaker 3: Well, of course sports card Junction ninety eleven Perry Highway, sportscard Junction dot com. They got you covered on everything. Jim, it's time to get out of here, and I'm looking forward. You're gonna be at the ballpark this weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're.
Speaker 5: Ben's tournament schedule has ceased, and thank god, by the way, he hit two home runs in his last tournament, so I just thought throw that in there.
Speaker 2: You know, shameless plug.
Speaker 5: But yeah, we're gonna get there for at least two games, and I'm super excited to see who wins this club because they are going to love it.
Speaker 3: They're going to freak out, and last plug I'll do and then I'll let ians get out of here. Brave Bean Coffee on Sunday eleven o'clock is always home.
Speaker 4: Sundays.
Speaker 3: We're at Brave Bean Coffee Park in the garage. Go down there, get caffeinated, go over to the ballpark see the Buckets hopefully close out a winning series. So we'll have a live show there starting at eleven to eleven thirty.
Speaker 4: Then we'll go over.
Speaker 3: And hopefully enjoy a Buckos win. Until next time, Raise it, Raise it best.
Speaker 5: Seats at the Pirates.
Speaker 2: Can't he let me run the base? Yeah?
Speaker 1: My time is like my money because I can't afford to waste. Uh why seears a lawyer? Take my date to my dates or the stick by the plates?
Speaker 3: Nick