Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news, The.
Speaker 2: Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 3: Now let's have a look at these stocks and on the move today here in Europe. I'm Caroline Hepcet alongside Bloomberg reporter at kloone Malay, Good morning, clothing. So it's September. We're back to business and Bae Systems big news involving them this morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we've seen quite a lot of positive movements across the European defense sector this morning, but as you mentioned, BA was the particular winner and what is really driving that this morning is that Norway picked the UK as a supplier of warships to its navy and this is a ten billion pound deal in a deal that BAE will have a really key role to play in. So the UK Defense Ministry said that this would this deal would support four thousand jobs in the UK and more than half of them will be at the BAE shipyards in Glasgow. So this is definitely a major win for BA, which is obviously so central to the production of these frigates, but also other defense names like defense contractor Babcock engine maker ros Ros. They also have got a role to play in that in both of which both of those were also up.
Speaker 4: This morning on the back of that news.
Speaker 1: Norway has considered France, Germany in the US as potential partners, but the UK one. And that is obviously also a win for Kirstarma, who's been really talking a lot about boosting that British defense industry. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, these are the tight twenty six frigates ten billion pound deal. It is huge news, isn't it, even as defense docs have been the outperformers over the course of this year in Europe's a very interesting that the UK is actually getting some of that money, isn't it in terms of defense spending. Let's think about things domestically too, though. Tesco on the move, why so?
Speaker 1: Tesco is also yeah up this morning, and that's on the back of a raised priced time at JP Morgan so. JP Morgan placed Tesco on the positive Catalyst Watch and it said that momentum looks really solid.
Speaker 4: That's both over the term and the medium term.
Speaker 1: It doesn't really expect it to raise its outlook just yet at the next earnings that we'll have in October, but said that the guidance range could be potentially narrowed towards the high end of that guidance. The latest update that we got from Tesco this summer was actually very positive, so that's.
Speaker 4: Kind of a continuation of this.
Speaker 1: We saw solid sales growth, growth in market share as well, so it's actually managed to do quite well despite a very competitive pricing environment in the UK where we saw you know, low cost retailers like Aldi and Liddle really driving down those prices. But Tesco has managed to hold up and really stand out in that environment.
Speaker 3: Even though we've seen huge pressure on prices and food inflation in the UK that's been very very difficult in recent months. Now President Chump is up and did so many industries, but including the wind farm production sector. And this is where Alsted comes in. European company with lots of US exposure.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, So it was a bit of a relief this morning for Orsted after some very very tough weeks for that company. So Equinor, which is the second second biggest shareholder in Orsted, said that it intends to back Orsted's rights issue, which means that this is the first major investor after the Danish government to back that stock a sale. So if we cast our minds back to early August, or Staid had announced a nine point four billion dollar capital raise to try and shore up its business, and that is because of how vulnerable, as you mentioned it is, to Trump's hatred of wind energy and offshore wind energy in particular and all of his attempts to kind of block that particular industry, and that announcement about the share seale really led the stock plunging.
Speaker 4: It wiped a third of the company's a value.
Speaker 1: And then right after that, Trump also ordered or Start to stop working on a on a revolution wind farm, which is a six point three billion dollar project of the coast of the US and that was really close to completion. So that was kind of a double whammy for austed and that really hurt the shares. So having Equanor kind of saying that it plans to maintain its ten percent stake and that it will kind of support that rights issue, that is much needed support for the company. So the shares breathed a little site of relief, although of course the fact remains that Trump will likely continue to block those wind projects and so medium term prospects have deteriorated quite a bit for osteds regardless.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.