Speaker 1: I'll betching us.
Speaker 2: We were on FT New York, met Luke. Great to have you on, man, Congratulations, we haven't had you since the deal. So first off, tell us how it all went down this offseason for you.
Speaker 1: Boys. Happy to be here, Thank you for this valuable time on this wonderful show. It uh yeah, it's it's an interesting process. I will say, I'm grateful to finally be in a position where you know you're not just scrapping at the bottom and hoping to fight your way into finding a team a roster, and that's a really tough place to be. So this game has its ups and downs, and so it was a really smooth process. It was learned a lot about myself, a lot about the the the ins and outs of that industry and the business side on both ends. And we just landed in a similar I guess city and maybe in a different location.
Speaker 3: Right before we get into before we get into your free agency and what happened and how you ended up on the Mets, which I want to hear all about. You played with Cody Bellinger last year? Is he worth what they want him to be worth?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 3: You were there, you were in the you were in the room with them every day for one hundred and sixty two days, eight months of the year. Tell us about Cody Bellinger and his worth, because there just seems to be such as a difference of opinion on what Cody Bellinger brings every day to a team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, I've I've enjoyed being on his team more than I've had facing him over my time. So great player, even better, dude. You know, he's consistent, He's just the same guy every day. He's a guy who won your clubhouse, certainly a player you want on your team. He's got unique skill set, plays the outfit really well, runs really well, and he's got an interesting approach at the plate where it's kind of shifts depending on where he's at in the count, and he uses all the field well. So I'm make sure that I get a text from him telling me thank you for all that. But at the end of the day, I don't know the numbers personally is what he's kind of going for. I kind of just see the surface level stuff. I think at the end of the day, he's as good as somebody wants to pay him, right, that's what they always say. But he is a valuable player, and I think he'll be a great fit. I think he's worth all the money that he wants. But at the end of the day, the teams will decide that if they see that fit.
Speaker 3: Did you have a number going into free agency? Did you have a number or years or.
Speaker 4: Even I guess location or was it something that we'll wait and see where you're at. And then if you did have a number, how close did the market come to your number?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What I'll say on that is I just wanted to try to land somewhere for at least two years if possible. I know it's super hard to get multi year deals as a reliever, especially in the three three range, So to be able to land a two year deal was a huge thing for me and my family to just have some of that stability, some of that time where and as a player, you guys understand that you just want to be able to know where you're going to be each day, but really in the next year or so. So having that come together was great. The number side of things, not necessarily in my head. I mean, I don't really know what that market even looks like. I know as relievers it can be a bit off of what the guy did before you, or you know, the people that you're looking left and right on in the market. So, you know, I'm very thankful for like a Brad Keller to go out there and get a nice deal and kind of open up some some availability for me in that way. And you know the guys before him just settying different different you know, levels to it and just be impatient through it and to see what happens.
Speaker 3: That's awesome. Brad kil we just had on last week, by the way, he was super excited about going to Philly, so you get to face him. You guys, you have some eighth inning showdowns possibly here in the near future in the NL, so you know, be careful what you wish for sometimes, Luke, were you shocked all the Yankees? Were you shocked? Did the Yankees make an offer or did they did not make you an offer? Correct? Were you kind of shocked that they didn't try at all? Because you did some good things? I mean, you closed when they needed a closer, right, you were their eighth inning guy who needed an eighth inning guy. You've done a lot of things for them. Were you a little bit surprised that they didn't come to you? And say hey, look, we really value what you did for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they didn't have a fish off or anything of that deal. Uh yeah, you know, I have forever ingrained into that organization these last two years of just kind of resurrecting my career, gaining momentum and just being able to play on a platform that is just really high and to do some really cool things and to you know, from my own personal gain, just to gain that confidence and that love for baseball once again and just see where it takes me to the finish. Yeah, I think I really really loved and value every single person in that clubhouse and on the team in general, and would have loved to have been able to continue to things to roll. But you know, we know there's always a chapter that ends, and somewhere else you got to pick up. And I got all love for those guys. I hope they do extremely well and achieve all they want. You know, there's no bad blood on my end. I don't flee there is. I've got a lot of great text and support from them and wishing me the best, and obviously they're not going to root for me when the time comes near and we're in a subway series, But at the end of the day, just a really really cool time there and and everybody there was just so impactful in my life.
Speaker 2: Hey, make good eats at home part of your twenty twenty six New Year's resolution.
Speaker 5: HelloFresh is what we're talking about.
Speaker 3: Here, steaks, seafood, whatever options you want. They have stone fruit to corn on the cops. Got I know you're a big stone fruit fan.
Speaker 5: Hey, you've eaten it all I have.
Speaker 3: I've tried a lot of things, but HelloFresh always delivers. They're fresh, delicious meals that you get to cook so you feel like you actually accomplish something when you eat them after you're done.
Speaker 2: Cooking over one hundred mouth watering recipes each week. It's made with wholesome ingredients like one hundred percent antibiotic and hormone free chicken. Because when dinner tastes this good, nothing hits like home cooking. Go to HelloFresh dot com slash ft ten FM to get ten free meals plus a freeze willing knife, a one hundred and forty four ninety nine value on your third box offer valid while supplies last. Free meals applied as discount on first box New subscribers only varies by a plan Get America's number one meal kit.
Speaker 4: Hello Fresh, talk about teammates, Well, you're going over play with one Soto again, but Devin Williams is going to be in the bullpen with you again.
Speaker 3: He signed before you.
Speaker 4: Was there any process where maybe you were going through the free agent process and they were like, hey, you know what we offered Devin Williams, or hey you know what you saw we just signed Devin. Did he reach out? Was there any like not recruiting or was there any kind of like, hey, you know what I enjoyed or didn't enjoy my time with Devin Williams. Got go into that process for you and your decision.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nothing to those elaborate details. It just was simple like he signed pretty early, got an awesome deal for himself, well earned stud picture, great dude, had a good relationship with him each and every day in the trenches there. I'm very grateful to be a teammate that is again to him just be it his elite self and know what that looks like, and to feed off of that as well and help them in any way I can, And you know, nothing recruiting wise, just you know, it all speaks for itself. I mean, the Mets are a big time organization who successful. You've seen the last couple of years, and you know, being right there at the World Series close to it, and then last year having a lot of success and it just didn't go their way. So they got all the pieces. One dear friend of mine send me a nice text when I signed, and we've stayed in touch off and on over the last year or so. But Clay Holmes another one we've been in a lot of communication with and the time we spent in New York on the Yankee side. But just really excited. I mean, it's they've obviously got a big thing going on over there. They've got some pieces, they've moved them, some things they've got to maybe continue to work out. I'm unaware. I just show up and play, but I'm very very excited to be a part of it. And again, like that market in New York is unbeatable in my opinion, and I just feel that intensity and that the pressure just trying to rise to it and try to put out some quality work.
Speaker 3: Look, first of all, I thought Wan Sota lost everyone's phone number when he went to the Mets remember that whole thing last year, remember so well, okay, because they said, remember he said, oh, I don't have anyone's phone number. I got a new phone. So apparently he liked you enough to give you his new phone number. I don't know if that's true, but that's nice to hear that he reached out to you. So that's good.
Speaker 1: Well, well, I'll make sure I clean up and say on his part, you know, I had to. I did d M him on Instagram at a certain point and then got his number through that, So you know, the timing of it, I'm not sure when it kind of a line, but I'm not definitely not here to mix up timelines and to That's that later, Dave, But it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: It was just more funny that, you know, because everyone said, oh, he didn't talk to any of his ex teammates, so whatever, it's just funny to me.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 3: Dude, Do you and Devin Williams, are you gonna this guy's just gonna stay in the same place you live last year? Do you have to move places in New York? Obviously for spring training go from Tampa to Port Saint Lucy, But in New York, do you stay. I don't know where you lived in New York. I'm not going to ask you where you live. Well, will you just go back to the same place and Devon do the same thing and then just just drive maybe a little bit different route, take the seven train or tuck the Long Island Railroad into Queens instead of going to the Bronx.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great question.
Speaker 3: Well, but the better thing is will you take the wrong train? Will you maybe make the wrong turn at some point.
Speaker 1: If you do, I'm not doing the train life. I'm a Florida guy. I like to live in the woods. I like peace and tranquility, and staring at a deer every once in a while has its benefits and such to be useful. I think Devin is more of that that speed, and I'm sure he's got some sites to where he'll be if not similar. I know you had a good spot there in the city. So for me, I'll be driving in and like you said, it'll be a different route. You know, I'm sure this time will be hit with a toll or something which add up, but you know it'll be okay. We'll just get back to the city.
Speaker 4: Did the Mets talk to you like they talked to Clay Holmes about starting. Did they have a conversation and say, hey, you know what, there's a chance we like we see what the adjustments you've made in the pen, could we see you as a starter with the New York Mets.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, that was an interesting feeler I threw out there at one point. H You know, I did have aspirations if that was something that was on the table, not necessarily something that I was like one hundred percent wanting to do. Necessarily, I felt like the relieving life is kind of comeing to my own on and finding ways to be more efficient and to try to be my best version of myself. A lot of the teams that I was communicating with it was kind of the first question was I guess tech checking my temperature on what my goal was from a relieving or a starting standpoint. And I think basically one hundred percent of them we're all looking for a relieving position. So I don't think I take too much offense to that. I do feel like it would be a better starter than I was. And that's not to say that there's a big jump there. I mean I didn't necessarily kill it, but I did have some moments, but I think relieving is the way to go.
Speaker 5: I like to do one of the reflective questions, So you know, if.
Speaker 2: We go back like you could be, I mean, you've had some you've had some different spots, You've you've been to, right, I would say, because I was trying to do the look as you were talking, like maybe twenty three, I think you bounced to a few different teams, right, and then end up with the Yanks.
Speaker 5: And then of course you know, took off in the reliever role.
Speaker 2: I was even looking back to you know, twenty sixteen, for example, I think you were battling for a starting spot with like Alex Reyes, who was super talented, and you just look right like he's been out of the sport for years, right, And it was a guy that we thought might be the best pitching prospect in baseball. So my reflective question is, just like when you do a look back and you sign a contract like this for big money with a big market team, do you think back to the whole journey just now?
Speaker 1: I promised myself I wouldn't cry on this show. N Yeah, I mean I absolutely do. I don't necessarily give myself time to do that. I think we never really slow down. I think I just speak for myself. You just kind of get in the rhythms of the day. I do know for a fact that during the twenty twenty fourth season, you know, I had nothing to lose. It was just a complete like you know, I didn't know I was in a play again. I just was at that mental battle of like injuries and just is this what I want to do? And then you get that spark of like I'm not a quitter, like I'll go until you know they tell me not. So there's just several times to that year where things to success just kind of continue to build. The positions changed out of the pen, and just got kind of two cooler moments, you know, higher leverage, and just had a lot of reflecting moments that kind of hit your question. That hit me the hardest then was just like where I was, you know what I went through, and you know my own journey and to where I was now is just overwhelming. It was just a very peaceful, humbling, grateful time to just show up every day. And you know, my two biggest prayers were just stay healthy and be just be a good dude. Just be a good teammates show up and just be consistent. And you know, I didn't really care. I mean, of course I cared to be successful, but I wasn't really asking to myself to like be good or bad. I just wanted to be healthy, to see what was possible. Like if it was like, hey, you stink, you're not cut out for it anymore, Like go get a different job, Like sure, I'll do it. But if it works out the way you you know, envision it, and your confidence is at an all time high and you what you always thought you were going to be, then let's ride on that as well. And you know, I think I hope whoever I shocked or whatever I did, like, there's no shock in my mind, right, it was just a time where it just finally came. And I think that's the whole the cool part about journeys, and you know, especially in our game, is like you could be good at thirty five, you could be good at twenty one, you could be good the whole time, you could stink the whole time. But I think lasting the course of time and to look back and to be like the percentages are pretty small each year you get to stay in the big leagues is a pretty cool and just humbling moment.
Speaker 3: Overall, a great degree. But let's say one thing straight. You went to Florida State. There's not a lot of jobs you're you're qualified for. Let's just make sure we established that fact. Because you're like, oh, I could go find another job. I don't know what those jobs are. My wife went to Florida State. She doesn't work, so you know, I don't know what.
Speaker 5: We have Florida battling going on right now. We've got mister UF, mister mister f s U.
Speaker 2: If you want to have an alliance, I'm happy to do that against them.
Speaker 1: You know. I look, I'm not going to comment on my wife by any means. I think that was very honorable of you to do that. You know, I've looked at the Mets colors. The funny thing, right, I'm looking at the colors and I'm just going, okay. The great time. I wasn't prepared for it. My agents didn't tell me is the team certainly didn't speak on it, and I didn't have that reflecting to think that this switch was going to be one of transition. I came across an FSU hat and it was near like a Mets shirt, and I'm just like, oh boy, those are just different colors, you know. But I certainly can stand behind it and just kind of take like a a small exception for my time wearing the gear, and then I'll just shower and make sure that I got the right garding gold on. But they do not correlate to be the same. UF. It's not the Mets.
Speaker 3: That's not as mess as you can get right there. I'm sorry that Mets.
Speaker 1: Like a knockoff helmet. It looks pretty cheap.
Speaker 3: This is not enough.
Speaker 1: It's just like a it's like a retro like you couldn't use their trademarks, so you decided to paint it yourself.
Speaker 3: This is I mean, I have plenty of real ones. I just can't get up because I'm tethered in this is real. This is real.
Speaker 1: This is real. This is the real one that.
Speaker 3: We are. You in Florida right now? Are you in Florida? You still live in Florida?
Speaker 1: I am currently in Tallahassee, Florida.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, of course. Okay, that's that's why you have the blanket. Everyone's commenting on how cozy that green blanket looks behind you. The thing about it is. We're having a cold front here, so make sure that you bundle up with that blanket because it is freezing here. It's like sixty five craziers.
Speaker 1: Oh it's it's as low as thirty five this morning, we're seventy one.
Speaker 3: Now, we got up to seventy one.
Speaker 1: I didn't see what Yeah, you see this cold this morning. I know when I was doing my quick ten miles you know, CrossFit stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're mad.
Speaker 1: I'm really good at weight cross the weight the training just expedentally, just super high here at Florida's Stay. We put in the work ethic, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: How much did you give to the new football complex because I've seen it. It's pretty snazzy, you know.
Speaker 1: I unfortunately, I feel like they got to prove themselves to get back on the high horse here because I'm not a fair Weather fan. But I know when I went to school, we won a national championship and my good friend Jabu Wins was leading leading the pack then and there. So my expectations are pretty high.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: I know it's a process, but at the end of the day, we only have what we know, and what I know is success. I've seen it, and I just need to see it again, Luke.
Speaker 4: National Championships the UF got when AJ went to school there, like when he went to class there.
Speaker 1: I don't know, is that like a primee.
Speaker 3: Some of you have to go to college, some of us skip it, you know, but I've seen him.
Speaker 4: What a team.
Speaker 1: Say, Oh, you didn't go to us.
Speaker 3: Actually no, he didn't even attend any classes. Count See it's not even.
Speaker 1: An entire conversation and you never attended He's he goes right, yes, Okay, I'm feeling a lot better about myself. Thank you.
Speaker 5: Educational doing.
Speaker 3: I just can't wait to see you in Port Saint Lucy. And I'm just I might even bring you a Gator baseball jersey to wear and just be like, hey, Luke, look these colors match perfectly.
Speaker 1: I did take a visit to Florida and then I just said, nah, I'm gonna go to Florida State.
Speaker 3: You couldn't get in. We get it. You had a hard time spelling.
Speaker 1: I was trying to play shortstop and pitts. So I mean you can look however you want.
Speaker 2: Hey, on that note, one more baseball went on our way out, just playoff related to get us back on track for one. I know, I think last time you were on with us you talked about Yamamoto and how you were a big fan and also kind of watched the way he worked and it impacted you. So just have to ask, I mean, what did you think of the performance just now from him in the postseason Slash World series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it was it was a bit unreal, right, Like it's you know, you watch your Otani's, you watch those guys do like unbelievable stuff. And then from a pitching side, right, you just want to see you want to see some love. And uh, I just don't think people, and I think you guys understand this just as well as I do. The magnitude of him being available to pitch that soon, like this doesn't make any sense. Like it's taken me a full five days up to the hour to the minute of pitching as a starter to be ready to go fully healthy, to feel decent, and he's doing it after throwing many pitches, Like it's unfathomable, Like I don't know how you replicate that in any other sport to do what he did at that stage and to do it successfully, And you know, I also want to give a big shout out to and I don't know him, but Varlin. They were running him out like crazy, and it was just so impressive to see his availability and to be able to to do that and successfully and have his his run too. So it's really cool to see when players just kind of push on the gas and just empty it and just to see success through it. It's just a really cool thing to sit back and watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's cool to hear from guys like you when you're seeing that. So obviously you've been through the playoff grind too, but to get your perspective.
Speaker 3: You should try that at Florida State. Maybe they'll win a College World Series. Oh wait, sorry too soon.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Look, look that that would have hurt a lot more if you would have went to UF. But it is devastating, So thank you for freaking it up.
Speaker 5: This is my time right now. I get one week.
Speaker 3: You do. He's a Miami guys, so he didn't even watch family must Stanley.
Speaker 2: We've got Yeah, we've got like eight cousins all everybody went, So this is a big week for us. We get to have our one week. Yeah, Louke, great stuff man, great to have you on all seriousness. Congratulations on the deal, and yeah we're excited.
Speaker 1: To see you in camp. Thank you, guys, appreciate you, thanks for what you do and talk so