Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This has been a busy stretch for Sam Potter, a senior editor for Markets at Bloomberg, And it's like this every year. Starting in mid November.
Speaker 1: That's when the very earliest outlooks for the next year start to arrive on my desk, coming through email. I generally let a little pile build up til I'm ready to tackle them.
Speaker 2: Then Sam starts reading, looking for the big themes Wall Street strategists and economists and portfolio managers expect will shape the year ahead. It's a lot.
Speaker 1: I mean, there are dozens and dozens of these things, and many of them run to hundreds of pages.
Speaker 2: For years now, Sam has boiled all that down, synthesizing how some of the top names and finance are thinking about the coming year. The end product is this amazing tool you can find at Bloomberg dot com.
Speaker 1: What I try and do is take the top line calls and then we piece them all together in the feature and we make it searchable. You know, you can filter buy the financial institution, or by the topic, or buy the asset, and it allows you to compare and contrust all the different calls.
Speaker 2: Sam identifies each firm's base case for the economy and markets and what he's keeping an eye out for are high conviction calls.
Speaker 1: Lots of them are very much they sit on the fence. They say, well, this could happen all that conviction. We're optimistic, but they're at risk. Or you get these ones that try and be creative and thematic, and they will say, here are the top five trends that we think will shape humanity in the year's ahead. They are ultimately their marketing tools, but some of them can be super interesting, either super bullish or super bearish.
Speaker 2: It may not surprise you, given how twenty twenty five shaped up, that the biggest theme for twenty twenty six is artificial intelligence.
Speaker 1: The thing it sort of leapt out of me in this year's outlet was this idea that everyone on Wall Street, or seemingly everyone in Wall Street, is bullish about AI. They talk of it as a game changing, revolutionary technology, but at the same time, the biggest risk that most of them see is that the AI investment cycle is overhyped, that we could be in a bubble and that things could turn ugly.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't lost on me as I talked to Sam about all the work that went into this project, that maybe AI, the technology that led markets to record highs, could have made his job a lot easier.
Speaker 1: Actually, in the end, I made a point of not using AI for this. I used the same method that I was using seven years ago, which means possibly I'm inserting my own bias and misfunctioning brain instead of AIS. But at least it's consistent over the years.
Speaker 2: I'm David Gerat, and this is the take from Bloomberg News today on the show, From AI to Geopolitical Risks to Gold What Wall Street expects for twenty twenty six. We're at this moment where more investors seem to be questioning or thinking differently about AI's growth, in particular, how much money is being poured into the infrastructure that power is AI. How does Wall Street see that playing out in twenty twenty six?
Speaker 1: On balance, they lean on optimism here. Most of them see the transformative power of AI changing the way we work, changing the way we innovate, boosting productivity. They also look at the expenditure and say, well, who's paying for all this? And in many cases, these multi multi billion dollar deals that we see hit the headlines. The company behind them is one of the tech megacaps, you know, heavily cash rich. They can afford to make this expenditure until they see returns on it. And these tech megacaps, their earnings are still super solid. It's not like the dot com where the firms that were throwing out these huge deals didn't really have earnings potential, were very concentrated. You know. The Magnificent Seven are highly diversifized companies with massive earnings potential. So a lot of Wall streak takes comfort from that, and it sort of backs them into thinking that this AI expansion is going to be sustainable for the near future at least.
Speaker 2: Are there any outliers of note, anyone who is calling this a bubble?
Speaker 1: Definitively, there's not an awful lot this year. There's not an awful lot of kind of outlier that firms Vanguard springs to mind. They're very cautious on the valuations currently being quoted for the Magnificent Seven. They're worried about it. But even there they say, we think that market's over concentrated. We think these companies are potentially overvalued, but we don't recommend you get out of AI investing instead, look for the second order, so the company is the ones who will benefit from AI, or look for the infrastructure investments that are tied in with it.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty five was this year in which so much focus was on in so many of the returns came from just a handful of stocks. It's also true of twenty twenty four. I should say, all the while, there's been this conversation, this persistent conversation in the background about whether this market is going to broaden out, the need for it to broaden out. As these strategists look ahead to twenty twenty six, is there any confidence that is going to happen?
Speaker 1: They certainly think so. A lot of the recommendations are AI is not a bubble, or it's not yet a bubble, but given the valuations and the market concentration surrounding the megacaps, it may be time to diversify and bind. Diversify they mean look for the sectors that are going to really benefit from implementing AI. Look at where this expenditure is going, so in infrastructure and data centers. So these outlooks are telling us get ready for this market to broaden out. But would just point out, this isn't the first year we've heard that, and probably not the second year we've heard that. Either. I was interested to write the summary section for AI, and as I wrote it, I was actually in the on the back end in the system we use. I was deleting the old one from last year, and the old one from last year was talking about we expect the gains of AI to broaden out into more sectors, and you look for the winners from AI. So it seems like we're still waiting for that broadening out and for those sectors to really adopt and apply it. So a good question is whether in a year's time we're going to be having a very similar conversation to this, I suppose.
Speaker 2: So what about other risk gas That's something stocks commodities. Does Wallstreet expect they're going to continue to climb?
Speaker 1: Yeah, mostly again off the back of the AI boom and the frenzy around that. Plus we have very fiscally loose governments. Plus we have central banks leaning towards easier policy in most major geographies. All of these things are seen as a tailwind for risk assets. So while no one's predicting huge double digit returns this year, everyone seems pretty confident that you're better off being invested than not.
Speaker 2: Put in that way, I wanted to ask you about gold. What do these outlooks say about the prospects for assets that aren't risky, ones that are considered kind of more haven or safer assets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's some advice to look for new hedges. I think one thing noted that given the situation where we've potentially got short term boring rates coming down, but very fiscally expansive program in government, that means the long end yields are going to stay high, so a steeper curve. What that can mean is that maybe bonds bonds will provide you income, they're not necessarily going to act as that hedge against equity risk. So there's talk about where you find your hedges. Gold is still up. There seems like not many firms want to predict the end of gold's upswing.
Speaker 2: We start twenty twenty six with the Federals are still very much focused on inflation higher than it wants it to be, also very clearly worried about future prospects of the labor market. What did you learn say from these outlooks about what Wall Street expects from the economy in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Yes, so it's interesting. The FED is definitely a big question because they are very much seen caught between slowly declining but still very sticky inflation that's way above target and a labor market that is sort of feeling the pressures of rising costs of tariffs and the political pressure, let's face it, from the Trump administration for lower rates, and we also have the FED chair set to be replaced a number of votes surrounding other members of the Federal Reserve. On balance, mostly people expect the FED to ease a little bit, but the stickiness of inflation will mean they can't go quite as far as perhaps Trump and the politics want. Economy wise, the various tailwinds mean moderating growth, most of them saying growth is going to be pretty much in line with the long term trend.
Speaker 2: Another big theme in twenty twenty five was private markets, private credit, and a couple of bankruptcies in that space that really raised worries that an economic downturn could maybe expose troubled companies. We had JP Morgan Chase CEO Jamie Diamond now famously warning that when you see a cockroach, there are probably more that could emerge in the space. I'm curious how much ink was spilled about that in these outlooks, kind of raising concerned raising quests, thinking about sort of the way that private markets are going to play a role, a continued role in the economy in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of them tackle that pretty much head on. They see the various you know, the cockroaches. It's pretty much contained, to be honest, there's a lot of positivity around private market still, private equity and credit, various credit structures. I think their argument is that it's a good diversifier, that their returns are potentially good, that mostly companies corporations are in pretty rude health. It does bear saying, though that most of them say, private markets look good, but what you need is expertise to guide you through it, and we're the ones to give you that expertise. So I'm always well aware that the more complicated or obscure or hard to invest in the market, the more money that Wall Street can make from helping you invest in it. So, yeah, a lot of talk about private markets. They think that bandwagon has got some distance to go.
Speaker 2: Yet coming up, How accurate were last year's calls and what does that say about how we should look at this year's Bloomberg. Sam Potter has done this analysis of Wall Street outlooks for seven years in a row now, and while he looks ahead, Sam also takes stock of how accurate the preceding years outlooks were. So I asked him how often Wall Street's predictions pan out?
Speaker 1: That's so hard to answer because so often they couch everything and this could happen, this may happen. This is what we're worried about. I think if you're in our business, if you're in the financial business, what you're probably dealing in as much as anything else's ideas, ideas and possibility, and oftentimes the audience to these things are going to be making their own mind up as well. They're going to be experienced professionals, They're going to have their own expertise. When I look through them, I'm looking for something, anything that jumps out as unique or sticks out about a year ahead. And also the common themes when we see dozens of reports saying we don't think AI is a bubble that lends you some maybe confidence, I don't know, maybe we should be worried everyone thinks it's not a bubble. Maybe that's the contrarian warning sign.
Speaker 2: Sam says. One of last year's most prescient calls also involved breaking from the pack.
Speaker 1: We saw that actually in twenty twenty five. One that stood out last year BCA were extremely bearish on tariffs, and they basically in their outlook said, everyone's underestimating Trump and what he wants to do with tariffs. It's going to be ugly. This is what we think is going to happen. And of course come April they were pretty much spot on.
Speaker 2: Sam, You've been through this cycle a few times now, and every year you start with a stack of calls that may look totally reasonable. What sort of things tend to upbend them? What are the X factors?
Speaker 1: Geopolitics is always the one that they worry most about because it's the hardest to foresee, particularly with Trump administration, and he's a fairly unpredictable guy. In fact, at one point that was seen as a deliberate policy that he would sort of surprise people. But the shocks, Yeah, I think it's not so much shocks they're worried about this year as any major shift in trend. So AI maybe it's a bubble. Maybe it isn't a bubble. Even if it's not a bubble, if confidence starts to weigh in AI, then it would be it would be like the tanker turning, you know, it'd be a big mega trend turning and in credit and private credit and private markets. If they're wrong and there are more cock croaches than they think, it could bring to an end a sort of long term trend. If Trump does do something unexpected and there is more trade friction and inflation actually starts to increase, a big inflation shock is actually probably that's one of the biggest potential tail risks that people say. You know, that's the fat tale. If inflation goes the wrong way, then it throws so much other stuff, fiscal monetary out of the window.
Speaker 2: We've talked about AI, We've talked about the megacaps, talked about this narrow market. When you compare the outlooks for twenty twenty six the outlooks for twenty twenty five, how much do they have in common? How similar are they this year to what we saw last year?
Speaker 1: Thematically? Yeah, last year, I remember leading the story part of the feature with Trump because he had just been re elected, he was set to take office, and that that kind of overhung everything. Obviously, that's much more if you can ever call Trump and I'm quantity, but it is much more of a known quantity. Now the tariff situation is seen as stable, if not settled, So we've been able to move on from last year, move on a little bit from Trump. I think people also look ahead and see the midterms and think that that might restrain Trump's excesses a little bit. But there remain some big similarities.
Speaker 2: Before I let him go, I ask Sam how he helps people in the industry. Readers and the generally curious will use his tool.
Speaker 1: So I think that such as the volume of stuff that Wall Street produces for the year ahead and so sort of disparate, I don't think people have the time or necessarily the easy access to read it or to consume it, or I hope what I do, if nothing else, is give them a tool that aggregates and allows them to compare and control, and it allows them to sort of fix their place in the Wall Street universe, their firm standing alongside others. I'd also hope that if I was in the industry, I'd want to be checking it and make sure that I wasn't accidentally in a huge outlier position with all my money on betting against AI or something when everyone else on Wall Street feels differently.
Speaker 2: This is the Big Take from Bloomberg News. I'm David Gura. The show is hosted by me Wanha and Sarah Holder. The show is made by Aaron Edwards, David Fox, Eleanor Harrison Dengate, Patty Hirsch, Rachel Lewis, Krisky, Naomi, Julia Press, Tracy Samuelson, Naomi Shaven, Alex Cura, Julia Weaver, Young Young, and Takei Yasuzawa. To get more from the Big Take and unlimited access to all of Bloomberg dot Com, subscribe today at Bloomberg dot com Slash Podcast Offer. Thanks for listening. We'll be back on Monday.