Speaker 1: My name is Clay Neukleman. This is a production of the Bear Grease podcast called The Bear Grease Render, where we render down, dive deeper, and look behind the scenes of the actual bear Grease podcast, presented by f HF Gear, American Maid, purpose built hunting and fishing gear that's designed to be as rugged as the place as we explore. Thank you, everybody, thank you, thank you, thank you so much. Welcome to the bear Grease Render that we have. We've talked about this render for a long time. We actually got much of the original crew here. The Burger's Renders been going on now for over three years, and uh, you know that we always have different people that are coming in and and sometimes people come and go. But there's kind of some o gs and Gary Newcomb would be one of them. Bears a new G. Josh is an o G. Brent's an original o G, Mistery's original o G. And so doesn't the O and O G stand for original?
Speaker 2: Yeah stands original gangster? Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, you're you're you're a new O G.
Speaker 1: Original original gotcha? Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, you're right. It's like original, You're an original G. That is what I should have said m M. But there's there's we've got we've got. Let me just start off with the with the agenda we're gonna We've got a big agenda today And the biggest thing that we're gonna do today is it's been over two years since we've done an induction into the Bear Greece Hall of Fame. And if and if anybody had forgotten about the Bear Grease Hall of Fame or thought that it didn't exist anymore, it does exist on you and uh and uh, we're gonna discuss that in detail and uh and we're gonna discuss kind of some of like the parliamentary rules around induction into the Bear Grease Hall of Fame and how that works. And we're actually going to induct and and and you guys will have the opportunity to vote on whether you think they should be in or not.
Speaker 3: Is it have to be unanimous or does is it majority?
Speaker 1: Majority?
Speaker 3: Oh? Okay, are you the majority? Man?
Speaker 4: I was in a parliamentary procedure team in the FFA in high school.
Speaker 1: You ever had you ever had a dictator as the parliamentary procedure all?
Speaker 3: I tell you what I did.
Speaker 4: I had a we had a guy that couldn't hear very well. He misunderstood what the topic was. Anytime you go to these contests. We were over at U A M. And it's every f h A. I mean, I'm sorry, f f A school, you know, compete against each other schools, and you don't know what the topic is. And there's a president, a vice president, and secretary of treasure and maybe a sergeant in arms, I can't remember. But we were stationed at different podiums around the cafeteria or the room wherever we were having this contest, and you just draw a topic out, which is.
Speaker 1: All agg related.
Speaker 4: Agg related everything, you know. So the vice president, I think, is who it was, pulled it out. I'm not going to say his name because he listens, but you know who you are.
Speaker 3: He was nervous.
Speaker 4: He pulled it out and looked looked at it, and the word was agronomy, which is, you know, growing plants, growing crops.
Speaker 3: He said, our subject for today is astrology.
Speaker 4: I'm looking I'm looking at everybody's looking around like somebody's got to start it off. A friend of mine says, point order make it. He says, I don't think corner grow the moon and it kind of went downhill from there.
Speaker 1: So point b sorry, you should you should, you should really pay attention as we as we go through parliamentary procedure inside of induction. The bear grisay, that's funny. That is really funny. Uh. We also, I think it'd be a good time as well to just tell somebody that's listening, you know that the Beargrease Feed has a lot of stuff on it. It's got Brent's podcast, This Country Life. So if you ever came to the feed, you you might see This Country Life and hear Brent and and you'd hear that. You might catch it on a week where there's a Bear Grease Render, which is this episode, which is where we have a kind of a round table discussion that's primarily geared towards our other podcast. So there's three different podcasts essentially on this channel and the Bear Grease Podcast, which is a documentary style podcast about rural America history hunting and.
Speaker 3: Where you will not hear Josh Landbridge spilmmaker on there.
Speaker 1: That's right, you were on there once maybe, so the uh this is this is that. So we're going to talk about a little bit about the Turkey Stories episode that just came out, which which I I said, I made a bold claim that I stand by that I believe one of the stories on there was arguably the best Turkey story ever told for any reasons. So we're going to talk about that. But we've also got we've got a few other things to talk about, one of which I wanted to show y'all. See this belt buckle, Brent, I do look at that bad boy, a little shoe raccoon playing the banjo. Man, I don't know how. You know, there's people that are upset about the internet kind of knowing what you do and what you like, and they give ads to you. I mean, I don't know. There's probably some type of invasion privacy that I wouldn't be happy with, and I'm not, but man, when they start feeding me stuff like this, I'm like, let's go, what else you need to know about? And so I ordered this and Misty thought that it was a scam. She was like, there's no way that that's a real belt buckle. And I actually paid an extra eight dollars to get this shipped this expedited. So I was hoping to wear it to the Black Bear, but Anza, well, I paid an extra eight dollars and it never came. And Misty was like, once again, yeah, she thought it was a scam, and uh am, I right a little bit, a little bit, and Bear, what did you think? No, you were like, it's probably okay. Well after a little while, I thought it was a scam.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think that the the timing of it was what made it so scam worthy.
Speaker 1: So it shows. I pay extra eight dollars to get it like by Friday, and it comes in on like Tuesday, and and it's a real belt buckle. And it's a little small. It's it's like half the size I thought it would be. That's all, but.
Speaker 2: It's an incredible idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell the listeners what it Yeah, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. It's a it's a it's a nice silver belt buckle with a with a raccoon paint playing a banjo in the center of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 3: Like what do you call those? Like a cameo? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah's what's funny is we were coon hunting me Randall Whitmore, Brad Clark and Wade with More were coon hunting when you sent me that picture.
Speaker 3: And I said, y'all check this out.
Speaker 4: Thirty minutes later, Wade says, Hey, just so y'all know, I got four of those belt buckles ordered right now, like.
Speaker 3: You kid, Yeah, we I had got it yet they got scammed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he said I got as four of those ordered.
Speaker 4: I'm like, where did the world did you find them?
Speaker 3: Oh, buddy?
Speaker 1: And then as soon as you order one of those, guy, yeah, you know what the next one, they make one like this with a beaver on it. A beaver he's playing a mandolin or something.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: I was like, goodbye. That for steverdella. So that's that's my uh, that's my belt buckle.
Speaker 5: I think that we should we should also maybe tell people why you entered to applause today. I think the listener might be a little bit we were here, yeah, I think the listener might not understand. They might think we're somewhere to do friend. Well, we're in the same location. Yeah, we're in the same Look, there's.
Speaker 3: An extra like four or five hundred people here watching you.
Speaker 1: We're at the Global headquarters. But this is this is a Hall of Hall of Fame induction.
Speaker 5: Episode, and Josh found out how to make fun sound effects directly before.
Speaker 1: The Hall of fame clips.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's all I got to say.
Speaker 1: So, Uh, the other thing I wanted to tell you, guys is that you may have seen you may have Josh has seen Red with his own eyes. Bear has ridden Red. Beautiful Misty is scene.
Speaker 2: Red and refers to him as Hank.
Speaker 1: Many people would have. For for about a month, I was riding a mule that we call Red, really really nice mule, fifteen to two, big, strong feet, ten years old, just like a top notch mule, and uh, sold Red this week.
Speaker 3: Kind of somebody got a good mule. I was able to go on a hog hunt while you while you were riding that mule. Yeah, and that that thing's a machine.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I really like Red, like Red.
Speaker 3: Don't tell the rest of the story.
Speaker 1: Which part is that that he.
Speaker 3: Wound up like three miles from my house?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah yeah, it's pretty crazy. Randomly, completely randomly. The guy that bought it ended up is like Brent's neighbor.
Speaker 3: Really, but it wasn't that's funny.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like Brent had anything to do with it.
Speaker 3: No, do you know what?
Speaker 4: Yeah, great guy, absolutely, great guy.
Speaker 3: Great meal. Sounds like a good comba, you know.
Speaker 5: And I think the way that Clay described that mual is probably how we should start describing our children about fifteen years old. So many hands, two big strong feet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's a good that's a good.
Speaker 1: Way to describe.
Speaker 3: How many hands are you bear?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How many hands are you bear?
Speaker 3: No clue?
Speaker 2: It's probably about seventeen hands, do you think.
Speaker 1: More than that? To the twenty more than that.
Speaker 4: The Yeah, that's where you measure them too.
Speaker 1: So but let's let's go ahead, and uh, is there anything else I'm supposed to talk about?
Speaker 3: I don't think you've talked about anything?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, Uh what about the Turkey Stories episode?
Speaker 7: Barrett?
Speaker 1: What was your favorite story? And you can exempt Med's story? Thank you, Yeah, because that was a good story. But that was a really good story.
Speaker 3: We can talk about this coffee that Missy just built all over like, oh.
Speaker 2: Shut well, I'll be okay.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 1: I thought Lake Pickles story was just absolutely wild. Really yeah, I've seen the two dead turkeys and then I mean, like I can't think of a time where I've ever come across a dead turkey, and then like you see two and then he goes over there and you know, a lot of turkeys comes in he said, which that in itself was pretty wild. I mean, just like the number of turkey and then you know, it turned out that was the their roosts, which is why they were seeing them in that little power line strip. And then the turkey flies and gets zapped by a power line and they take it back and mount it.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: It was just wild, but it did. Whenever I was in North Carolina in January at a we were we were hunting with falcons or hawks, but they had there were multiple people there that had hawks that would fly up onto the power line like transformers and they would just like melt really and so yeah, and so like you just think about how many wild birds that we don't really.
Speaker 3: But you see birds on the power lines all the time. What's the difference.
Speaker 1: I know, the transformers, like the part that's like on the actual poles what the falconers were talking about?
Speaker 3: Interesting, but I don't know about that one.
Speaker 1: Well, and it's and it wasn't Old Mexico, so it's possible the electrical system is different.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it could have just been like.
Speaker 3: Trist down there.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it is south of the US border.
Speaker 4: Well, it would take one of them if every one of them that flies into it dies. The word will never get back to the rest of us. Somebody needs to get needs to live through it. Like, dude, I flew into that wire. Knock one of my spurs off. Let me tell you, y'all be careful under or over.
Speaker 2: Have been able to sleep since?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, I mean what I mean by it's different, It could be. It's like maybe the big power lines that you see, like if you transmission lines, well you still got to be touching the ground.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So that's why I'm saying it could have been different. It's not like it's electricity is different.
Speaker 3: We'll get our old friend Josh barger On here to explain it to us. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a good story.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the the the idea like having that many turkeys around that they sat there until dark and couldn't get a shot out on because they were going to shoot other turkeys is like unimaginable to me. I can't even remember. From a man who was born into like the worst time in the last fifty years to turkey hunt in this state bears like he's like if he sees one turkey a year, he's happy and then he then he hears about this. You need to go to Mexico.
Speaker 3: Do you remember when we were in Folsom, New Mexico and were driving through town and it was just turkey's overrunning on turkeys real? Yeah, yeah, I bet I could have counted one hundred and fifty turkeys.
Speaker 4: Spot Burner's a male man down there right there, like Josh, shut up Awsome?
Speaker 1: Yeah, over the counter tags too. I don't know. I think you have to apply get points for years and think there were real grand turkeys. We have a new job. A lot of a lot of companies in the outdoor industry try to help people h get tags and stuff. We're going to try to confuse people.
Speaker 3: We're doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mexico. Yeah, you gotta apply in that point.
Speaker 3: So that electricity down there, it's different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you walk under power poles down there, it'll get you. Dad. Which story stood out to you?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: I was just shocked.
Speaker 6: Every one of them was just a ten, you know, And if I just had to pick one, I think the one bear was probably the best. But I like the preacher boy from Mississippi.
Speaker 1: Oh like the way he talk. Yeah, yeah, Robin Rischer.
Speaker 6: You know, if you got a collar on or a diaper and setting into Isaias, don't come up on a country boy.
Speaker 7: I mean, wait till somebody, a city slicker comes up, because these country boys, they can they can pump one in their shotgun real quick.
Speaker 1: I know when that when old Trusty Rusty swallowed that three and a half inch die no bag wopping, turk, turkey thumping whatever. He was a real storyteller.
Speaker 3: I mean he was.
Speaker 6: He added a lot of stuff that you didn't have to add to it, and he was a comedian.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, well okay, so there's a bigger story behind Robin Risher. So I've never met the guys from the Hayden Alabama podcast, but I love them. They're hard not to love. They have a really neat podcast, and it feels like it was just some guys in the little community in Alabama that that kind of recognize some of the same things we've recognized that there's a lot of people with great stories just in the community that aren't making national headlines that are just fun stories. So they started this podcast. Well, they brought on Robin Risher, who's this pastor in Mississippi, and he had a viral video telling that story, and uh and and and he probably told it. There was a component of it that's better when you see him tell the story because Robin is it's hilarious to watch him. See and if you go online and ask for I don't know what you'd search to find gy Yeah, Robin Rischer, you g l And anyway, Robin, they he loves this, So I'm not making fun of him, but they joke about how he never blinks. He just stared at the camera the whole time. And he tells his story, I mean, going like a long time without blinking. And anyway, he's kind of become like this guy that that people know.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 1: We got him on the podcast and he told that story to us.
Speaker 3: But he's one of the one of the kindest, just most genuine, you use the term precious. He's just the sweet guy and a fun guy to be around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd be I wish he could. I wish he could have come to something like, you know, to render before we.
Speaker 3: Learned an interesting fact, you know, speaking of Med Palmer's story, when when we were talking to him, he said, he said, you know somebody you need to talk to is Med Palmer. I said, we actually have a story for Med Palmer about about him losing his son in his last turkey. He said, well, I preached Med palmer Son's funeral.
Speaker 1: That isn't that something?
Speaker 3: Yeah, brother Robin they call him brother Rob.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Josh, which one stood out to you? And we're kind of leaving Med's story?
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, they're all they're all good. I don't want to piggyback, but I loved that story that that David uh I forgot Huffman. David Huffman told about with his Native American guide saying let the creek accept you, and and two of the guys did it, and two of the guys didn't, and sure enough, yep. I mean it just played out. It's amazing how when you when you have so much awareness of an environment like that. I you know, I do some guiding down here at the river, and I've got a couple of guys that kind of have taken me under their wing guides. One of the guys I go with regularly, he's a fourth generation guy down there, and it's like when he tells you something, you listen because it's you could write it in a book and use it as a guiding Bible because he just you just know you have this, It's almost like a sixth sense. And just listening to him tell that story and how it played out of he did it, I mean, just step by step how the God told him, and those other guys just thought they knew better. Yeah, and they didn't. So and then the next day, same thing. It played out exactly like the Gud told him. So I loved that story.
Speaker 2: So you liked the story where the guide was right, where the guide was right.
Speaker 3: I always listening to God, folks.
Speaker 1: Did you did you like how let's talk about the the semantics when I said, did you think it was okay that I said I'm not an animist?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Did you understand that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? An animist means like you you you.
Speaker 1: Haven't understand when I said that, Yeah, because I mean that there's a it's it's a it's a theological like I don't want to use the term religious because it's not I don't really like that word. But you know, like many indigenous cultures of the world believe that they're animists. They believe that the spirituality of nature, like like a tree would be alive and like a like a spirit being and so that I wasn't trying to put doctrine into this guy's mouth. But but the idea that the creek could accept you is actually something that I wouldn't that I would kind of doctrinally wouldn't couldn't completely get behind. But I said, I get what they're saying. Like anybody that's that's a woodsman has had a hunt or or or maybe often. I mean, it's not even that unusual where you're in the woods and you feel like you're a part of the system, you're not just a visitor there, and and it's it was great advice, you know.
Speaker 4: So anyway, Yeah, I like that because it made you pause and be more aware of what was going on around you. You see, gets singularly focused on something and you miss other things. Yeah, cotton mouse and creeks are one of them. I remember going into a place early for daylight, way before daylight, longer than I should have been there. Shine a light over in a creek, and there's a cotton mouth laying over there in the show turn the light off. I'm waiting, wait and wait and wait. Nah, I'm bored. You know, it's still thirty minutes for daylight. What am I gonna do now? Oh, I'll see what that cotton mouse doing. I shine over there, and he ain't there. Now he's gone shine down my feet in there, he is down there. I took time to be aware of what was going around me, you know, and you learn those hard things so that regardless of what they thought, it is a good idea to get in there and get set and just be aware of everything that's going right. And so, you know, it's validity in a lot.
Speaker 3: Of things like that.
Speaker 1: And absolutely and and and I the older I get, the more I am on a mission to understand the things that are not trackable by the physics of this planet. And there, and and and Western culture has taken Western culture by by Western culture. I guess what I'm specifically saying is is that knowledge, rational thinking, using your intellect to guide yourself on this planet has been wonderful for us. We have cars, and we understand electricity and physics, and and we we've been very successful as a species in terms of biologically reproducing and being successful with that also took away from this uh uh, what I would just call just raw spirituality. And I am one thousand and percent convinced that there are there are things going on that are not able to be picked up by those laws. And uh, and that's what a lot of a lot of people used to would have relied on a whole lot more than in the past anyway. And it's not being spooky or weird. It's just like, yeah, there's there's stuff that happens that is not on the radar of physics period, the metaphysical. So that guy, that guy may it tapped into a little bit of it.
Speaker 3: Yep, for sure.
Speaker 6: Hey, I called in a flock of turkey's downhill with one gobbler years ago. You probably remember me telling the story. Yeah, I mean it's pretty phenomenal. I'm not a great turkey hunter. And you can't call a turkey downhill, you know in theory, right, that's the doctrine. And I mean I'm sitting down here in this low spot and there's a big hill right there, and there's not a lot of trees in this whole flock.
Speaker 7: Probably there was fifteen birds, you know, twelve, And.
Speaker 3: Here they come.
Speaker 7: Man, I'm going what And they pull up right.
Speaker 6: In front of me at about fifteen yards and I got my gun up and I'm thinking I can't shoot that gobbler, I'll kill a hent or two.
Speaker 3: You remember, did I kill that gobler?
Speaker 6: I don't remember, Okay, Okay, Well, anyway, I eventually killed a gobbler I don't know, in that bunch, well, in that same area, yeah, in that same area. I don't know if it was that one or not.
Speaker 1: But did you did you quiet out and become one with the creek? Absolutely, I like to go, yeah, yeah, they think it's a bumblebee.
Speaker 3: That's what the turkey did to hit the firelight.
Speaker 1: I remember one of your stories where you you called you just were cold calling in the afternoon and called quite a bit and fell asleep and then woke up to two gobblers goblin right on top of you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: In fact, that's that was in the afternoon, a Sunday afternoon. I went out called in that flock. I mean, I don't mess around with just one bird.
Speaker 1: Called them all.
Speaker 7: And then then the best, probably the best story.
Speaker 6: And I don't have many stories, because, like I say, I'm just average truck hand, but that one that I've told it on this probably before bird in a tree goblin and you know I'm sitting there going daylight comes, he drops out. I got my gun right here, and I'm thinking, where did that bird go? And he's right here, man, I mean.
Speaker 1: He's he's like I could have grabbed him by the neck, like three feet from him. Yeah, yeah, right there, right he flew down and then yeah, and I was in.
Speaker 6: Buck brush about this tall, and he just worked his way through that. It was just about like me and bear and I looked over and then he walked right in front of my gun.
Speaker 7: I'm not going to tell you the rest of the story.
Speaker 3: The turkey lives.
Speaker 6: Turkey flew off my shot, but I don't know up close. I did a lot of studying on that. How you can miss a bird at three feet that's pretty easy. Yeah, I'm sure here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh man, that's good. Brent. Which story stood out to you?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean the elephant in the room I'll leave for Misty. But I liked the guy that had to come to Jesus meeting with Mark Slade. Yeah, it's a slave sledge Sledge, Mark Sledge. He finally owned up to it, you know, and maybe who knows where the guy went after that. But that's a you know, that's a that's a hard listen for a grown up for a kid, but for a grown up to admit, you know, you got me. And then two he kind of you know, it went about it. It said something about you know, it said something about character, and not in a good way. If you have if you have your wife, if you have your wife, call and say, hey, can I have that turkey?
Speaker 3: Call back?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's kind of puzzling.
Speaker 4: It was very much so. So I think it was a good lesson in what not to do. And maybe this maybe it turned out, maybe the guy had a realization and this may may not have been the best way to do that.
Speaker 3: Because number one, Mark was very forgiven.
Speaker 4: He didn't involve the sheriff's office, the game warden, or all he wanted the guy to do was fast up.
Speaker 3: Hey, it was me, my bad. I made a like me being late today. I walked in the door.
Speaker 4: I told my hat in here, make sure he didn't get thrown back out, to make sure I could come back if I could come in. So there was a lot of lessons there that you could you could take from that, and not only from the guy doing wrong, but for Mark being very forgiven of the whole situation and just wanting the guy to.
Speaker 1: So Yeah, well, the hook of that story is that, and we didn't want to bring it out until the render. But that man was Josh back Christy. Christy called Bart called. I thought it was. I thought it was pretty unusually. He didn't call it game board because.
Speaker 4: I kept waiting, you know, and you said at the end, if you were waiting for I was. I was waiting, you know, game Yeah, I thought.
Speaker 1: Did you think that was unusually? He didn't call it game Barden. I mean, he caught this guy right handed.
Speaker 6: I didn't think much about it. You know, it would be his word against yours. Really, once you got back to the truck. I mean, a guy could have light his way out of it.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I did you think you didn't? You know?
Speaker 6: I thought he I thought he I was impressed with the way he dealt with it. Yeah, what he said, You're sitting there, guys three feet from and you go hello.
Speaker 7: The guy on set of his skin, and then then he goes, I believe you.
Speaker 3: I love what he said. He said. He said, isn't it amazing how a good day like that?
Speaker 7: Clint Eastwood, you just made my day, brother.
Speaker 1: I wonder why he left his turkey best at the fence. Maybe he didn't want to get it hung up crawling through it.
Speaker 6: Well, he wanted to find out how to get out. Possibly, you know, the woods might have all looked the same, and you know, you turn around, you look and you go, okay, I'm gonna walk back to this big tree.
Speaker 7: Well he just and he didn't want his turkey vest.
Speaker 6: You know, I think it might have been he was a criminal, you don't, you know, you put your mask, could have been making racket.
Speaker 4: You know, he's just trying to slip in there and slip out with that.
Speaker 1: I wonder if it had something to do with marbire fence, you know, like if you had a big fence on. I mean a big, big turkey best on.
Speaker 4: I remember hunting, my son, Hunter and I were crawling into a turkey in Missouri and we were trying to slip down this hill. The turkey was on behind the big clay root and I dropped my vest. He took his off. He was just a little kid. We crawled down there. We got set up and the turkey was still behind that clay root and Hunter said, he's like nine. He said, well, I mean that's what we had. That decoy. It was in your vest up there right now we could stick out here.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, that's a great that is a great idea.
Speaker 6: You know, if you're on another guy's property and you got an orange vest on, that's not too good, Well you can kind of sneak around if you're in cameo would not be seen.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't orange. It was a turkey vest. Oh, turkey vest Okay, yeah, it was a turkey best okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Things will never know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, uh, I I said that I always go every time Andy's on, I kind of go on and on about Andy.
Speaker 3: Everybody.
Speaker 1: Everybody has heard that, so it might be getting old me talking about Andy. But I'll tell you, I've traveled the country trying to find Andy Brown's and they're there, and there's many that I have not found, don't get me wrong. And I've talked to many men who were incredible turkey storytellers. But I found that even really good turkey hunters have two or three really great stories.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I mean that that are that are kinda and this kind of stories that we're looking for are not are are unusual in that we're looking for, you know, some just something that makes it just a great story. And honestly, I have one good turkey story. And I'm not a great turkey hunter. I've spent a good part of my life turkey hunt. I've got one good story, the Lightning Bird, and I tell it all the time. You've told it, You've told it many times.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, it is a good story.
Speaker 1: And and but here's my point about Andy is like that story that he told about the thirty six inches of beard and all this that was like his like P story A B C D E F G H I j K elemental P like his a story with I mean, he just he did, he just he just has lots of stories and and and and he can tell a story that's uh, just about a normal hunt. And I always try to dissect what he does, and you can't replicate it. You can't learn anything from it. The first guy that tries to go tell a story like someone else, you know, kind of becomes kind of inauthentic in a way. But you know, uh, but Andy, they just they're group of hunters which Dad and I grew up around. Uh or Dad would have been a peer of Andy. Andy's son is a good friend of mine. They all tell stories like Andy and and they and they don't do it for show. I mean it's like really a big part of their their camps and uh, and I mean I don't think anybody ever told them they were special until we started recording Andy and and I knew Scott was always just a great storyteller, his son and just the you know, and they all have. Steve Vanella is the one who said he Steve loves Andy Brown. And Steve said, Andy Brown sure always knows which direction stuff's coming from, because in any any Andy story, he's like, we went out to the east of the mountain, and we came back and the bird was coming up the south leg, and then we turned west and I mean, you know, just like this, and and I know exactly where I feel like And if if Andy's listening to this, he can he could he could comment on on this. But uh, when I was just a young man interacting with his Andy's son Scott, it's getting complicated.
Speaker 5: I thinks are complex enough to when generation.
Speaker 1: I noticed that in Scott's stories is that he always like wanted to and we were from the same area, and so he always wanted to orient me to write where he was like just precisely. And and I think they learned that from their their one of their uncles who just knew every crack and crevice of that county. And then it kind of was a way to just like communicate they knew the land.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It adds to the story, to the to someone who's familiar with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I mean and being and using the cardinal directions instead of exact data when telling it to the general public. It also includes them in that as well. Yeah, because they can they get an idea, they can see in their head. They may not know exactly where he's at, but they know if he said I was facing north and then I turned around and went and then then I turned and went west, they know he turned to.
Speaker 3: His left and went that way. Yeah.
Speaker 4: He just kind of a good story, plays like a little movie.
Speaker 3: In your head.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I Actually, when Andy's first started telling me stories, I had to tell him not to give specific location.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He'd tell the name of the mountain and the ridge and the road, and I would be like, Hey, I don't think you want.
Speaker 3: To do that.
Speaker 7: Yea, Hey, yeah, you told me you can't ever go back there?
Speaker 1: Really, Yeah, yeah, yeah, Yeah. Dad used to not like for people to tell him where they were hunting because then in his mind, that would be a big area blocked off that like he wouldn't want to go, but.
Speaker 3: He wanted to come by accident.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So No, I always love AI's stories there Therebell, And he's at some point we're actually going to have a special episode that's gonna come out next week that's not a Turkey Stories, but we're gonna later do another Turkey Stories this spring. And and he's got another great little story. It's just as about four minutes long as I don't I don't even know what level it is, but it's it's a good one. It's a good one, okay.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: It involves throwing sticks at predators to get them to run away. Little little teaser. Oh man, Yeah, yeah, Misty, what was your favorite story?
Speaker 2: Well, I know this is going to surprise y'all.
Speaker 5: No, I thought that last story was just that's the one that you were saying was the best turkey hunting story ever. Right, That's that's how as advertised. And I thought it was a good story. I mean, we had a conversation this week about Clay and his grandpa and their relationship. And one of the questions I asked him was like, and I was trying to get a sense of because I've been around, I was around your grandpa, and he wasn't just like always talking, you know, I mean he was, he was very pleasant. But Clay has just so many advice, so much advice that he got from his grandpa that he's always sharing with the kids and anything from sorghum molasses and butter to you know, work ethic and things like that. And and I was I was like, tell me, I wanted to understand the context and and play it. A lot of the reason he got those stories was because he was with him, he was hunting with them like that. That's where those stories came from. And I just thought about that Ned and his son, med Med and his son, and and just the gift that it is too to be able to to share, to share this with with your kids, and and to share that and have those opportunities. And even after his son dies, you know, he goes back and and it's almost like it it kept giving and and and brought closure and an ability to grieve, and because you hear him struggling to even want to go hunting because of because of what was lost, but then inside there and to come full circle, you know, the environment they're in is bigger than what you can measure, and and and see there's there's a lot going on. And and he looks down and he sees that shell. That's that's a pretty incredible story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the way describe that turkey mm hmm in that context, you know when we when we talk about turkeys in full strut, like you kind of see this image of this oil painting, you know, at a National Wild Turkey Federation event, of this big gobbler strutting in front of two or three hens with the sun coming down on him, and and and that's what Mad described it. I could just see it, like, uh, you know, he did a he did a good job of describing that and how how beautiful it was. And then and then the fact that he said that he got his spirit back and just kind of brought it full circle, you know, And uh, I said, I I said, you know, the way people talk about Mad Palmer down Mississippi is that like he's the best turkey others ever lived. And you know, I was kind of tongue in cheek obviously, I've never had it with mad uh and and there's a lot of great turkey hunters, but I'm pretty sure he's he on a good year. He's involved in calling up twenty five or thirty turkeys for easy. He a year is a great guy watching thirty turkeys get killed.
Speaker 3: Most years, he works a lot with wounded veterans, and so he takes a lot of wounded veterans hunting, hunting and kids turkey hunting. Yeah, it's not uncommon for him to call up twenty five to fifty birds for people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Keith Pope went on and on about it. He and I were talking Keith's turkey hunter down. Yeah that like's going to ride in and say, Keith thinking near the turkey.
Speaker 3: Hunter that he is.
Speaker 4: But but Keith just goes. He says, Man, that dude is the real deal. Yeah, that's pretty good bona fides for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Yeah, Well I thought I thought it was a strong episode. Yeah, I thought it was a strong.
Speaker 3: Fantastic story. Yep.
Speaker 1: I'm tempted to tell what jan what Jannis Putellus said about it, but I don't want this to be a uh. I've getting a lot of feedback on the film and episode. Thing between me and the honis so y'all just leave that out.
Speaker 2: Was it positive or negative?
Speaker 1: It was I. I just texted him and I was like, hey, this is this is such a great episode and uh and he would I won't tell you what he said. He loved med story, he said, he said, as as promised, Big time delivered, Big Time delivered. Bar you got your bowfish and bow here yep. I finished it up. So this is a this is a bear made that bow out of o sage.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: This is showed the tree the tree, yep. This is the boa showed last time with the sturgeon skins. But I put moose leather from Heather Duville up in Alaska.
Speaker 2: She sent me that ak ak moosey yep.
Speaker 1: And uh threw a big old muzzy reel on there and it I took it out last night. It shoots really good. I mean, like you can shoot I don't know. I shot some really far shots at fish and it would just like fling that air out there and you could you could actually realistically kill a fish from pretty far away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we are you shooting at carp?
Speaker 1: Yeah, big carb, big grass cart. Unfortunately, I didn't get any in the boat, but it kind of had a broadhead issue. Yeah yeah, but uh yeah, but that reeal comes on and off, so it's a bow fishing bow. You take the reel off and you can hunt with it.
Speaker 2: Yep, I appreciate the artwork.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got a fishbone. Yeah, yeah, I think it's I think it is now time to move on to the the matter at hand. Are you all ready?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Hold on, astrology, Yeah, we got.
Speaker 1: That's not it. That's not it. I'm not sure that was the best. I would like for the first time too, to show this. I have in my hand very nice. That is the Bear Grease Hall of Fame plaque.
Speaker 3: Very good.
Speaker 1: And the names on this board are Holy Colliery. Okay, all right, thanks for running the moment. Okay, sorry, So the guy that made the made this for us mistook Wholk Caller for Holy Collier. So basically we have.
Speaker 3: We have a duplicate made. We just need to put we.
Speaker 1: Have a Bear Grease Hall of Fame plaque that will hang in the office and uh we we We started the Bear Grease Hall of Fame about three years ago. As we started doing these deep dives into these characters. Some alive, some dead, and we just I mean, the Hall of Fame like created itself. You know, it was just because you do some stories that are great, but then some stories are just you just are just so good. It's like, we've got we've got to have a hall of fame about this and let me, let me, let me do. Let me do one thing first of all, pass Oh, I want to go through the current members of the Bear Grease Hall of Fame. And this is important because I'm going to I'm going to present for possible induction at least two oh potentially three. We've not and we don't do this willy nilly. You know, We've had I don't know how many original Bear Grease episodes, probably one hundred plus Bear Grease episodes.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, pretty close.
Speaker 1: So the first is Daniel Boone. Daniel Boone is in our Hall of Fame as an American frontiersman, archetype and backwoodsman, called himself a backwoodsman. There's so much about Boone and that was one of the first historical series we did that really took off. The second guy here and these are not in any order particularly, but this was just the first couple of inductions is a man named Warner Glenn from Arizona. He's got to be one of the oldest living working cowboys in America. Warner's over ninety now. And I communicated with his daughter the other day and he's been dry ground line hunting this week.
Speaker 3: On Mules tough as Tarzan's feet.
Speaker 1: Yep, exactly. And we did a series on Warner Glenn, and you know he's dry ground line hunter and rancher out in Arizona. Roy Clark, Tennessee plot man. Roy Clark is a quintessential Southern Appalachian hill billy bear hunter. If if Roy Clark has killed load bears in his group, probably as many as anybody alive today. I mean, those guys are bear hunters, and Roy if you remember from the series that I did with them, the iconic moment, and I wish we could have captured it and put it on a shirt or a hat or and perhaps the time has been lost. But when Roy Clark was in the fourth grade, his buddy wrote him a Valentine's card. They had to give Valentine's cards to all the people in their class, and his buddy wrote a card that said, we bear hunters, ain't we Roy and Roy when he said that at age seventy two on that podcast, like his eyes almost teared up and he remembered that and it was just this. He was like, we're bear hunters, We're bear hunters. Roy Clark is a bear hunt George mcjunkin. George mcjunkin was a former slave that that became a He owned land out west, but he discovered the Falsom Site, the Falsom Archaeological Site, which unlocked the American story to the Pleistocene to the Stone Age. Before George mcjunkin found those bison bones, the smartest people in the world thought that humans had only been in America for about three thousand years. George mcjunkin in nineteen oh eight found these bones and begged people to come out and look at these bones. Nobody ever came until the three months after he died, like in the nineteen twenties, and finally they were like, well, I guess we ought to go look at that, and they went out there and it was the greatest at the time, the greatest archaeological discovery in American history. George mcjunkin. Fulsom Place is full of turkeys all over the contact got to apply for tactams twenty years. Frederick Gershtacker, he is a German guy that came to Arkansas in eighteen thirty seven and was here for seven years. He wrote a book called Wild Sport. It's a very formative book that I read years and years ago. Had a dog named Bear Grease. And Frederick Gershacker was essentially involved in market hunting, but was just the epitome of why people came to the New World during that time for adventure hunting and for market hunting. And he in his time recognized the wastefulness of market hunting and actually wrote about it, and it was kind of a little bit ahead of his time, even though he participated in it to some degree. He came to Arkansas to kill a bison. That's why he came here. He wanted to kill a bison, and he did. He killed a woodland bison in Arkansas in the in the eighteen I think the eighteen forties. His dog's name was Bear's Grease. Did I tell you that yet?
Speaker 3: Okay? So that was the.
Speaker 1: First time I saw the two words bearing grease together was in his book. So Frederick gersher The Death of Erskine. Yeah, and that was probably to this day some people would think that that was one of the their favorite episodes, the Death of a Bear Hunter, which was like the third or fourth episode we ever did. And I read just read part of his book about the death of his friend Erskine. It was really incredible. Or Lee Provence man, there's a category. There is a category of people in the Hall of Fame who are unknown, not not didn't have some influence on America. They weren't authors, but they just represented a way of life and kind of stood against the trend the age. And or Province is just a classic Ozark hardworking logger, hillbilly. I mean, I interviewed him when he was ninety two years old, and the month after I interviewed him he died. He spent his whole life in the logging woods, growing tomatoes, chicken farming, and he killed two big bucks in the nineteen sixties that were over scored over one hundred and eighty inches two weeks apart and public land way out in Ozarks. And Ori was just he just had a quality about him that I just was like, this guy. I'll never meet another guy quite like this. And Orley Province is in the Hall of Fame. Holy Collier Callier man. People talk to me about Hot Collier almost weekly, and we did a series on him.
Speaker 4: He was.
Speaker 1: Enslaved, lived his early part of his life as a slave in Mississippi, came out of that and was a market hunter. Was credited with killing over three thousand bears with dogs and the Mississippi swamps. But the main thing that he did that put him on the map was he guided Teddy Roosevelt on the famous bear hunt that the Teddy Bear was coined because Hulk Callier lasso de bear that was being bade by dogs, tied it to a tree, went and got the President and said, Sarah, have your bear for you to kill, and Roosevelt refused to kill a tied bear. And it became this like global phenomena of people writing about it, and they created the Teddy Bear. Holt Callier maybe one of the will the stories we've ever told. And what was so unique about it too, was it was it was an untold story in a way. Minor First Buchanan wrote an incredible book about Holt and and Mina First became that is alive today as a lawyer in Jackson, Mississippi, and he basically just years ago started he'd heard little things about Holt and went and started just doing research, and there was very little written about him. And so he writes this comprehensive book about Halt Collier's life and just just incredible. I mean, if we could find stories like that, I mean, we just do stories like that. The last guy on the board right now is Takeumpsa, and Tkeumpsa was a Shawnee Ward leader, wasn't even a chief. Considered by some based upon the impact of his words. We have no recording of what he said, but based upon the way that people responded to him speaking, he's considered by many historians as one of the greatest orators in American history. We've never heard him. I think that's interesting. It's like, it's not what you sound like, but it's what the effects of what you say cause people to do, you know, and uh, but to come. So he's he He and his brother Tinsquatawa ten Squintawa had ten Squintawa was considered a prophet, and he believed that he heard that they were not supposed to integrate with with Europeans that were coming, and they put up the the longest lasting, largest resistance to the American expansion of any Native American tribe, and Tokumsa gathered the largest army, and that's disputed in some at times, but but comes heck of a guy. That's where we're at. Okay, there have been two. So to qualify to be in the Beargreas Hall of Fame, we have to do a Burgrease podcast about you number one. I mean, that's kind of the way it goes.
Speaker 2: It's like, I can't be in there.
Speaker 1: You would be a shoe.
Speaker 3: We'd have to do would he would.
Speaker 1: Be a shoe in? Gary would be a shoe in? Brent would be a shoe in Oh, of course Bear would be a shoe in. Nope, Bear's too young, too long.
Speaker 3: He just started drinking koffee thing.
Speaker 1: So we did a series two years ago. And I want to have a discussion around the man named David Crockett. I never heard of him, and he will be I want to have a little discussion and I'm going to give a little pitch and I want to hear what y'all say. There's some controversy around Crockett being in the Hall of Fame. My friend Steve Ranella. When he hears Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett in the same sentence compared to each other, he chuckles and he says, there's no comparison. Boone and Crockett are completely different. And the one reason he says that, and I kind of I don't buy it completely is Renella And this would be the only thing that would stand against Crockett. This is probably bad that I'm starting out with the negatives, gonna.
Speaker 2: Here's why you shouldn't vote for him.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know they I just want us to be sure, is uh. Crockett was probably a little bit enamored with himself and his fame show Bot. He even in his autobiography when you read it, there was it's kind of like that became the hedgemnd later in his life. Now he died when he was like forty six or forty seven. I can't remember exactly how old he was when he died. He died in eighteen thirty six. But he it kind of gets under your skin, just a just a hair. And he went to a play, and this is what gets Steve Ranella. He went to his own play in New York City and basically kind of took the accolade. There was a there was a play that was put on and the main character was essentially David Crockett in his lifetime, but they didn't call him David Crockett. They called him Nimrod Wildfire. But clearly the man who was Nimrod Wildfire was Crockett. Crockett had so much global fame. Crockett was like the first big time American celebrity was a bear hunter America. Are you listening to me? The first many, not just not just hunters say this, but like historians say, one of the first true global national celebrities was David Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier. That's right, and but but do you see that kind of the self aggrandizement of just a touch with Crockett?
Speaker 3: It's down you've been holding that one in your pocket? What's that?
Speaker 1: I should have said that first you hit me? And they had like a but listen to this, y'all ready for this. He died when he was forty five. I think he would have worked through it. I think I think if we'd have seen a Crockett boone lived till he was eighty four. Crockett lived till he was forty five, and he had he came from abject poverty to national fame to potentially even be in the president of the United States. They were going to put him as President of the United States, and this country boy had no ability to I mean, it just takes time for someone to kind of walk through that level of like notoriety, and he was kind of enamored with it.
Speaker 3: And so I.
Speaker 1: I want to give him a little bit of sympathy inside of that, because again that's what Steve would discredit him for and be like, you don't need Crockett in there, and Steve didn't say that, but Steve's not here and you you might not be here.
Speaker 6: He hears about.
Speaker 1: Stella is listening, please send me an email. Let's see, let's see how this goes. But but basically what Crockett did is is he he became a state representative and he was in political office, and he gained national fame and then he ends up dying in the Alamo in a war that he probably shouldn't have even been in in America. Has made it like he was going down there because he was a patriot and all this, I mean, he it wasn't even an American war.
Speaker 5: He was a little bit rejected by by his own people for his stance on Native American lands.
Speaker 1: That was a big part of it. Yeah, and that that is also Do you think.
Speaker 2: He would have worked through it because he experienced suffering?
Speaker 1: He uh, he experienced a lot of suffering in his life. He lost a wife and he.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. When Andrew Jackson came out with the Indian Removal Act of eighteen thirty, it would have been in his favor politically to get behind that, but he chose to make a big stance in saying, no, this is wrong with these people. And I appreciated that. What do y'all think? What do you think, Brent?
Speaker 4: I mean just I think no, I think all the stuff about him being full of himself or whatever his conjecture, you got to look at the facts of what he did, whether he was at the Alamo because he took a wrong turn in Albuquerque or however he got there. You look at it at what he stood for his stance on Native American lands. I think the positive outweigh the conjecture or the focus that put on his celebrity, because a lot of times when you have a detractor. Someone's talking bad about somebody, it's out of jealousy, a position of like, uh, you know, he's not superior to me, so I'm going to cast the spursions at him. And so I think you got a look at the at what he did and what he stood for, and if he stood for what was going on down there in the Alamo and for the Native Americans, that's good enough for me in a time where that was it wasn't like taking a stand now, you know. I mean he was doing it when there he had no other allies other than the folks that were being persecuted, who had nothing to stand on to begin with. I mean that was when them folks got to the Alamo down there, I mean they were peeing in the wind, thinking they were going to win that one. It was not going to come out good. And yet they stayed and fought it out to the last man. Whether or not we had we had the big debate on whether he went down swinging.
Speaker 3: Or got captured. Yeah, but regardless, he was there. Yeah, So that's a that's a positive for me.
Speaker 1: Crockett also had a lot of influence on American politics. He was the first so imagine world politics, like coming out of Europe and there were these aristocratic, highly educated, uh wealthy people that ran governments across the world. This is simplification, but you could almost put a period after that, like the aristocracy ran the world. We came over to America and we kind of liked to have this idea that things were different, but honestly, things were quite a bit the same. I mean, Washington and Franklin and all these guys. They were not just like average guys that were out there shoet horses and stuff. You know, these guys had money. Crockett was the first populist, folk backwoods politician that brought something up that's still here today. He was the first guy. They called him the man from the cane and the cane, referring to the great cane thickets that they hunted bear. It was a derogatory term that one of the elites in the Tennessee legislator called him when he was a young politician. He said, how about the gentleman from the cane tell us it basically was like the hill billy from the sticks. Why don't we let him talk? And Crockett comes back in the next day wearing a big. He's wearing his buckskins, but a ruffle like these guys wore that. He was a fashion trend to wear those big, like roughly necklaces. And he came in and made a laughing stock of the those guys, and and and spoke very off the cuff, very informal. He spoke like the people spoke. And he became and he became America's first populist backwoods politician. And today that's how people win politics in this country. Not always, but but they but they appeal to the common man and they say, I'm one of you. I'm not from the elite, you know. So anyway, Crockett had a ton of influence on the idea of what America was. And so Bear anybody else have any thoughts on Crockett before we officially nominate him as a as a Bear Grease Hall of Famer. I mean, I think of backwoods politician from what from what you described, I don't think that I at that time would have been listening to any podcasts. As a matter of fact, I never really listened to that podcast. From what you described, I'd say, he's okay. I would like hereby as the is there anything I should put my right hand on. Put it on the sound of the bear track, the bear track. I'm going to place my right hand on the bear track. And I would like to officially nominate David Crockett as inducted into the Bear Grease Hall of Fame. Could we have a show of hands for all people that I was like, you got a second second? Em all right, raise your hand if you would. Let's let's do an eye.
Speaker 2: I think we should do my voice. This is a podcast.
Speaker 1: Everybody, everybody that a favor say I. All oppositions say nay. Eyes have it. David Crockett inducted into the Gratulations.
Speaker 3: Where are your hat?
Speaker 1: Just really got to get these buttons worked out.
Speaker 3: There?
Speaker 1: I go, okay, okay, wow, it feels really great. This has been a long time coming. Crockett's in.
Speaker 4: Now, what is Davy Crockett, David Crockett or Holy Crockett.
Speaker 2: I don't think you should be Holy. I think that's.
Speaker 3: Dodge Crockett.
Speaker 1: He will go in. It's David Crockett. Okay, yeah, David Crockett. Okay. Moving on second order of business. I would like to consider and I find this very interesting that yesterday I got this in the mail with no return address. I have no idea who sent this, but somehow they got the address to the headquarters here and they sent me this sticker. Came in the mail yesterday, the fla I got it, I got it, got it. Oh, how cool is that?
Speaker 3: That's pretty cool?
Speaker 2: Pretty cool?
Speaker 3: Huh? That is Granny Henderson.
Speaker 1: Avid Barnes Henderson. I I think Granny deserves a spot in the Beargeris Hall of Fame. Granny Grannie Henderson was a core character in our Buffalo River series. And so Granny Henderson was born in the in the eighteen nineties and she died in the late nineteen seventies, and she was the last person on the Buffalo River, one of the last holdouts on the Buffalo River. When when the National Park System came in and acquired the ninety five thousand acres that now make up the Buffalo National River, we did we did a series that just was it was I'm still torn to this day because the series clearly was geared towards telling the story of the people that lost land. That land was essentially taken from the Yeah, they were paid land, they were paid for it. But Granny, her house is still intact and is in the center of the Buffalo River Wilderness and people go there. We've been there, and I spoke with Grannie's Granny's daughter, who was just a delightful lady who told me stories all about Granny and yeah, Jane Kilgore, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 1: Granny was a symbol of resistance. And on the podcast we called her a martyr because she died within three months of being moved out of the house that her and her husband built in the early nineteen hundreds. She got married when she was real young. They built a house down on the Buffalo River in just this incredible place, and she didn't want to move. And her husband died years and years before and and finally, I mean Granny was in her eighties and every all her neighbors were gone, everybody was gone, and the family just was like, Granny, I think you just need to sell. And she she had gotten a lawyer and had was word you know it could, tried to litigate it in court to be able to keep her land that her parents had bought her and and and finally they said, Granny, you just need to you just need to go. And the park built her a house like a mile away on top of the mountain near the county road, built her a new house, gave her a dishwasher and a washing machine, and she went into that house and stayed there one night and said I can't do it, and she went and stayed with her and three months later she died and they say she died of a broken heart. And uh in in in the in the series, what was so cool? And this is something that I'd never heard, but we we got this original recording of an interview with Granny and we got to hear her talk and hear her voice and it was just really cool. And what thoughts on Granny Henderson being in the bear Ground.
Speaker 3: I'm one hundred percent for it because I think that I think she, but not only she, but her way of life is iconic to to who we are as Americans, and that that icon is fading in the distance, and so I think she is a woman who can represent that way of life in this and so I'm one hundred percent for it.
Speaker 1: M hm. And we got these great stickers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, mm hmm.
Speaker 5: I definitely I would second it out for sure. I Mean, I think that Granny carrying those big old things of water yea. At her age and hunting easter age.
Speaker 1: She got hit by a copperhead. Uh yeah, twice or four times.
Speaker 3: At least twice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's like I think twice, multiple times, multiple times she got bet by copperhead, never went to the doctor, fed the pigs to the pigs. Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I just think she I agree with Josh.
Speaker 1: She is.
Speaker 2: She's iconic and and she deserves it.
Speaker 1: She deserves she deserves it.
Speaker 5: She represents not just about America, but also bear grease and kind of the heart of bears.
Speaker 1: She'll be our she'll be our first lady on here as well.
Speaker 4: Oh we ain't voted yet. Well, if she is, we we are. We just taking her for consideration. Now I'm calling for a vote.
Speaker 1: I have a man that's called for a vote.
Speaker 3: A second.
Speaker 1: Record show everyone who would like stick.
Speaker 2: Around about parliamentary procedure, and I appreciate.
Speaker 3: That I get the chance to do it right.
Speaker 1: That's right, all right, everybody who would like to induct induct Ava Barnes Henderson, also known as Granny Henderson, also known as EV to the people on the river, I would like all them what am I.
Speaker 3: Supposed to say?
Speaker 1: All oppositions say Nay, we have it. Grannie Henderson. Granny Henderson is here. Yeah, there we go.
Speaker 3: This one's really getting the plot.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: I don't want it to look like we knew this was going to happen.
Speaker 2: But just just in case, you had.
Speaker 1: Just in case we had made Davy Crockett and Ava Granny Barnes Henderson's and it says Buffalo River Martyr, Like.
Speaker 2: What does what does David Crockett say?
Speaker 1: Tennessee backwoods?
Speaker 2: Tennessee's got some pretty good representation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tennessee, Man, it's great place. I love Tennessee.
Speaker 2: And oh holy from Mississippi.
Speaker 1: Well, do y'all have anybody else that what about Astola? Yeah? Codered about question four part series Insola. Well, what's your pitch? Do you think he should be in the Hall of Fame? I mean yeah, I think he's kind of like, uh. I think it's similar to like Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett would be to Cumsa in Ostola.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: I think I think everything that you've talked about for like Davy Crockett, his influence on the people kind of like just like rising up. I think Astola is like right there, the exact same thing. He just kind of rose up out of the Florida I guess it was just the Everglades or seminal territory down there, and then let a bunch of people. I think Osciola checks all the marks that the other people on the Hall of Fame checks.
Speaker 2: Like Granny he was a martyr.
Speaker 5: Yeah, carries the unique designation that Bear has listened to his podcast yep, hey.
Speaker 4: Sure, I want to go all four parts and saying that is anybody noticed Bear only used to say yep. And now he makes very valid points and sometimes he's talking. I wish he'd be quiet so I could say something outstand.
Speaker 7: It's very good.
Speaker 3: So so I'm not saying I disagree. The one the one question I have about Ostiola is that we don't know a whole lot about him. Like we know, we know like what happened to him, but we don't know necessarily what kind of character the man had. We don't know if he was.
Speaker 1: That's that's the Josh and I talked about this beforehand, and I don't well, I actually, what do you think, Brent? Did you do you remember much about the Ostiola series?
Speaker 4: I do remember, you know, the my favorite part of that was the lady that was doing the research.
Speaker 1: Doctor Wickman. Yeah, maybe we should induct doctor wick.
Speaker 3: Maybe we should.
Speaker 4: Uh it would I would probably have to go back and listen to some of them, But I mean, not everybody has John Anderson write a song about it.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: That is definitely a plain It's a big place. Do you remember much about Osciola Dad?
Speaker 3: Not a lot.
Speaker 6: I think he's worthy of being on there. But you know, if it came down to my vote, I'd like to listen to those podcasts again. But I think he's I think he's worthy.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 6: We're talking about him. Yeah, embars for him.
Speaker 3: There's a difference between iconic and famous.
Speaker 5: You know, well, okay, I don't remember anything negative about his character.
Speaker 1: Well see, that's that's kind of just the point when you when I did the whole series on Ostiola, you come away with a lot of questions about who he actually was as compared to it tokumpsa or a crocodd or a boon You. Uh, we skipped James Lawrence.
Speaker 3: You did not, got it?
Speaker 1: I skipped James Lawrence.
Speaker 3: Shokes we got to talk about James definitely.
Speaker 1: I don't know how I did that Osciola. You you you, you really don't get a great picture of who he was us. There's not a lot recorded of like what he said, yeah, exactly, so there's a lot about what he did. Is his influence on people. You see little vignettes of of kind of maybe an interaction he had with someone, but he he's kind of obscure. You don't, you don't really you kind of see a shadow almost, you don't really see him. And that's the only reason that I wouldn't have initially just been like he's a shoe in. I felt like we knew who Tokumpsa was when we got done with That Comes to Series, because so much of what he said was actually written down, and then there were a lot of people that talked about him, that interacted with him. Osceola was such a renegade living in the Everglades that he did have a lot of interaction with Europeans and different things.
Speaker 4: But well, there's a reason why you have an honorable.
Speaker 3: M hmm.
Speaker 1: Interesting, maybe a second smaller plaque or back.
Speaker 2: On the side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's if I were if I if I would say it's not for any fault of his but I just don't have. I just couldn't quite put my hands on him.
Speaker 5: It's tricky to me because by the same metrics, you know, you measure his impact and you measure to me. I think his perseverance is a measure of character, his his decision to stand against the tide and to and to resist.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think that is resistance.
Speaker 3: Resistance, Yeah, that's a big one. Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: Plus yeah, I have respect for that.
Speaker 3: And that's resistance against injustice, not just you aren't convincing to me now, not just resistance.
Speaker 5: And resistance against be bought out and being I mean, he resisted not just in justice, but also the lure of of wealth. I'm sure you know he had opportunity.
Speaker 1: To opportunity to sell out his lamb.
Speaker 2: And he didn't. And that's that says something.
Speaker 1: And and the Seminoles are still down here.
Speaker 3: I feel swayed now too. All the Texas just a little jabber.
Speaker 2: Jabber, Wow, Bear and I we're in. I think I can speak well.
Speaker 1: I would like I would like I would like to do something that only a true dictator could do. Is I'm gonna give you Bear the authority to nominate him, and then we'll vote but you'll have to lead it. If you really feel like you should do this, Yeah, I think we should. I think we should nominate him because I think it's based on when you went the resistant, like.
Speaker 3: Let them.
Speaker 1: Dictators choose when their friends get to see.
Speaker 3: No coffee, but you can speak.
Speaker 1: I mean I think like we maybe couldn't fully understand his character or anything, but I think you could look at like the product of his work and the impact that he had and can kind of assume that that didn't come from just like you know that that came from some really strong characteristics that are worth that you know could make him worthy of being on the Hall of Fame. I think, even though we can't intually put our hand on it, I think you could look at the the like fruit of his life and see that it was it was correlated with the Hall of Fame. I think you're right traits and he isn't John Anderson song yeap.
Speaker 3: So along with that, what would his what would his descriptor be.
Speaker 1: Resistance? You know, we have to think about the words.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: He was not a heretical chief. He was just a war leader. He just the way those systems work. It's hard to even understand it, but they just rose based upon merit.
Speaker 4: I think it should be if it's approved, it is plain and simple.
Speaker 1: Osceola seminole, seminole and may leader of Seminole resistance. But to me, what what what he stood out there, like I kind of wanted to grab hold of, is that every single thing was telling them that they should give in and they could not win this fight. And yet you know, it ended up being five hundred of them that were resisting. The entire United States military. It had spent fifty million dollars over a twenty year period trying to get these these seminoles out of Florida, and they just finally were just like, you know what, just stay down there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so let's put it to a vote where.
Speaker 5: And you can't you can't fault Daniel Boone or Davy Crockett for being a guy who wanted Achel Aid didn't want to. You know, there's an argument to be made that Osiola we don't know much about him because.
Speaker 3: He oh wow, he didn't want thirty three.
Speaker 5: That's what I said. I said, because he didn't want much known about him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: And it's almost got to give him.
Speaker 1: I wish Stirling Hard Joe were here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no kidding, he'd convince us all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and again. My initial reluctance was not anything against Ostiola. I just didn't quite feel like I know him. But now y'all have convinced me that I don't. I don't really have to know him to qualify here. Well, Barrett, okay, so I want you to do the official nomination and lead us here. We are officially nominating Osciola, leader of the Seminal Resistance. All in favor, say, I I.
Speaker 2: Didn't second.
Speaker 3: We need a second for this second?
Speaker 1: Okay, All in favor?
Speaker 3: Wait, I just what again we have to do to all the posts?
Speaker 1: OLLI post? Say nay, wow, we got real shocker. Yeah, Ostiola talk about James Lawrence. Yeah, I don't know how I missed James Lawrence. James Lawrence is my dear friend from from here in Arkansas. Just to me, he was uh he he. One of the first episodes of Bear Grease was about James, and to me, on a real personal level, he just kind of represented this this Arkansas backwoodsman, never asking for fame, never would have just kind of lived his life without much accolade, but just a really just loves just a true American sportsman and uh in a in a mentor to me and the kind of being Arkansas backwoodsman.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and the world would be a better place if there were more James Lawrence's out there there. Does it show on the plaque.
Speaker 1: It says Arkansas backwoodsman. Now, you wouldn't have wanted to have got on James wrong side back in the seventies. Let me just say that he did probably knock the teeth out, yeah, yeah, not yeah, he told me one time somebody made him mad and he rode his motorcycle down in their front yard and whooped him on their front porch.
Speaker 3: Then then definitely.
Speaker 1: Sometimes they just needed well productive meeting, productive meeting. Okay, well, well Josh, we got to get another. We got to get one for Austin.
Speaker 3: I'll get it, I'll get it, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So this is going to hang in a prominent place probably probably over here somewhere, but there we have it. Let's like it all right, all right, thanks guys for for listening. We uh today we did get Yeah, Brent, it's good to see you.
Speaker 3: Glad you're back, yes, sir.
Speaker 1: But uh, Misty, good to see you. Good to be here, everybody. The Oches keep the wild places wild because that's the
Speaker 3: Where the Ringers love