Speaker 1: Hey guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of this show.
Speaker 3: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll get access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 3: We need your help to build the future of independent news media and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com. Good morning, everybody, Happy Monday. Have an amazing show for everybody today. What do we have, Crystal?
Speaker 2: Indeed, we do a lot of breaking news, so we're tracking the fallout after Dems caved and Schumer helped the Republicans pass their budget. New polling there too as well, and I'm interested to get Sager's take on how all of this went down, since Ryan and Emily talked about it some on and myself talked about it.
Speaker 4: I'm on Friday.
Speaker 2: We also have some pretty stunning new reporting from the Kamala campaign about Joe biden interventions there and his demands on her, and also how pathetically she just accepted them. So we'll get into all of that. Trump appeared over the weekend to openly defy a court order with regard to his invocation of the Alien Enemies Act of seventeen ninety eight, So we will break all of those details down for you. We've got some new economic numbers. The consumer sentiment index plunged significantly. We've got Scott Besstt, the Treasury Secretary, out there saying stock market corrections are normal, don't worry about it. So obviously keeping our eye on that as well. Trump announced massive strikes against the Houthis and they are claiming retaliation. Zionists are getting some wins in Trump administration staffing. This is one that SOCCER has been tracking really closely, and I'm taking a look at the way that anti Semitism is being weaponized in order to facilitate Trump's power grab.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, unfortunately, there's probably you could probably talk about that one for like forty five.
Speaker 4: Minutes, or it was hard to narrow down the mood law not.
Speaker 1: Put in the monologue. Looking forward to that.
Speaker 3: Thank you to everybody who's been subscribing to the show, we really appreciate it. We've got five days a week of coverage now here on breaking points. I hope everybody is enjoying that. But yeah, let's talk about the Democrats. There's a lot to break down here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, you guys know, there was a whole thing last week. Democrats had to in the Senate, had to help Republicans to pass this budget, otherwise the government was going to shut down. This was really the only point of leverage that Democrats have with Republicans for the foreseeable future. And yet, in spite of that, and in spite of the fact that you know, Democrats and myself believe that there's this authoritarian power graph going on, they decided they would cave, led by Chuck Schumer and actually Kirsten Jillibrand kind of interesting, the two senators from New York home of Wall Street, where the two that led the charge to cave. And of course we'll have the economic numbers in a moment to show you why they may have been super concerned about.
Speaker 4: A government shutdown.
Speaker 2: But in any case, in the wake of that, we have some new polling numbers about how people feel about Democrats and how they are doing in this new Trump era two point zero and those numbers are pretty grim.
Speaker 4: Let's take a listen.
Speaker 5: American's favorable views of the Democratic Party's brand are at a record low just twenty nine percent. That's compared to thirty six percent for Republicans. It is the lowest ever recorded for Democrats and CNN polling going back more than thirty years. As you can see, the party's numbers dropping a staggering twenty points in just four years. The CNNSRSRS poll also found fifty seven percent of Democrats and Democratic leaning voters are more interested in seeing their party leaders stop the GOP agenda, compared to forty two percent who are more interested in cutting bipartisan deals. It is a big shift from where the party stood at the start of Trump's first term in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we have a graphic of that last piece just to put back up on the screen, because I think this is a really important point, the way that the Democratic base has moved in terms of what they want to see on the party. So back in April of twenty seventeen, this might actually surprise you because it's remembered as a time, a sort of peakd Trump resistance. But at that time you still had a majority of Democrats fifty nine percent who said what they wanted to see Democrats in Congress do was to make compromise with Trump to gain consensus on legislation, versus thirty three percent saying they need to stick to their positions even if it means not getting things done. Now that has completely reversed, sixty five percent of Democrats want the party to stand up to Trump and stick to their positions, even if it means grinding the gears to a hold. And a lot of that movement with regard to listen, Democrats are just not popular across the board. A lot of the movement in terms of their approval rating falling off Sager comes from within their own party, where people are incredibly dissatisfied with the weakness and the failures of Democratic leaders like Chuck Schumer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's absolutely fascinating to see their internals, their internal thinking inside of the party.
Speaker 1: And you know, we've probably talked about.
Speaker 3: It here at nauseum, but probably a lot of our viewers may not have been really watching a lot or involved in politics back in the twenty ten period. This is exactly what at the Republican base wanted to see from its leaders against Obama.
Speaker 1: And the thing is about Mitch McConnell.
Speaker 3: He may be an establishment type, he actually read the moment incredibly well.
Speaker 1: In two thousand and nine.
Speaker 4: In that first interview he was as Javellian. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: They asked him, they said, okay, so what is your strategy to deal with Barack Obama? And he said, our goal is to get Barack Obama to not win reelection in two thousand twelve. Now, obviously they failed, but their theory was just this president, no matter what he puts in front of us, we are going to slow this thing down. No matter what, we will use the full exercise of the United States Senate and our majority that we have to make sure that we hold things up. There's no more business as usual in a lot of ways, like it kind of reinvented the Washington mold in that regard. So what the Democrats want to see is at this point too, if you are a Democrat and you're a quote unquote playing by the rules, you are a bit of a fool. No, I mean, twenty ten was a long time ago. It's been fifteen years at this point for you to adapt. The only thing that I like somewhat sympathetic to is that these establishment Democrats are not wrong that if they had shut down the government, Trump and Elon and them would have used it as a pretext to basically just pick who would be the essential government workers and who is not. Now the counter to that, which is also correct, is well, that's basically why they're doing So what's the point. From a pure statistical political calculus point of view, I think that just for their own outcome, they probably should have shut down the government because I don't first of all, the Democratic base.
Speaker 1: Would have been with them.
Speaker 3: Second, I mean, again, I'm not advocating for this. I don't think it'd be a good thing. But the economy would continue to be bad. Like stock markets always crash whenever there's a shutdown, people downgrade our debt. There'd be a lot more questions about the debt ceiling and fights like that in the future. Overall, the stocks definitely would have fallen. It would have only fed more into an economic collapse narrative that would obviously, I think, be beneficial to the Democrats.
Speaker 1: Republicans did actually kind of want to shut down.
Speaker 3: Apparently Trump and them were looking for a shutdown in some ways because they thought they would win that fight. I don't think that's ever the case that anytime a party in power has all three branches of government. It's just it's ridiculous to think that you're not going to get the overall blame from the American people.
Speaker 1: So I really have no idea kind of which way.
Speaker 3: But I get where the establishment Dems and all them were coming from. But it is a profound political misreading of the moment. But because that's they're trying to do business as usual, whereas it's clearly the Trump administration is not really interested in that, and the Democrat base is also not really interested in that.
Speaker 1: So it's like an old gasp, I think of something. Do I think it will happen again?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 4: Not after all of this, you don't think so, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, here's the thing, it's like trust humor. First of all, I think he cannot update his mental model to adjust for what you just described. We are no longer in politics as usual. This is not some normal like back and forth, give and take.
Speaker 4: That's not what's going on.
Speaker 2: So I think because he is old, and because because he's been there for so long, he is incapable of really grappling with that.
Speaker 4: But we also have to say the failure here.
Speaker 2: On the Democratic leadership part started long before you got to Friday interfaced with this like yes or no vote. The failure really started when they had no plan for like, Okay, here is our demand and we are sticking to it, and we are not giving you the votes that you need Republican Party and Trump in order to pass this budget resolution without you acceding to one of our to our demands. Now, there could have been any number of demands that you make, you know, it could have been we want funding restored to the Department of Education, we want the CFPB back, we want Doge on a social security we want Elon fired, we want Elon subpoena, we want Doge to be done or have to report to come. I mean, there are thirty different things off the top of your head that you could think of that would have been reasonable demands for Democrats to make, where they would have been firmly on the side of public opinion of message, relentlessly on it, and then if the government shuts down, they say, listen, we made really clear what we needed in here. We were willing to work with Republicans. They never came to us with, you know, And here we made it really really clear what we would need.
Speaker 4: To vote for this bill. They didn't do it. That's why the government is shut down.
Speaker 2: So even the fact that you got to this vote and none of that groundwork had been laid, that's really where the ultimate.
Speaker 4: Failure lied lay.
Speaker 2: But I mean, listen, they don't have a lot of power in DC. There are only a few times where Republicans need them. This is one of the only times in sight where Republicans need them for anything. And you just pass this and you got nothing like that is utterly pathetic, pathetic, And so you know, and I think it's not just Democrats who want to see Democrats fight. There are a lot of independence down there, and we could put the next piece up on the streets. There's a lot of Trump voters who aren't super happy with what's going on and would like to see some balance brought back to DC in terms of you know, checks and balances and the opposition party acting like something other than like pathetic losers. So in this particular focus group, which you know, it's not scientific, but always interesting to hear what voters have to say. Ten of thirteen Trump voters these are people who voted for Biden and then switched to Trump, said that they were unhappy with Trump's approach. Some words that were used were erratic, frightening, disruptive, and dictator. That being said, what was it like? One of them said that they would have switched their votes to Kamala. Yeah, so even as they're very dissatisfied with Trump, Yeah, there we go. Only one of the ten Trump voters turned critics said that they would choo Kamala Harris for president if they could do it over again. And I mean, this is the risk for Democrats is like, yeah, people are increasingly souring on the Trump and Elon show in DC, but are they going to offer a sufficient enough response and appealing enough alternative that people will say, okay, but this is better than what's offered on That's.
Speaker 3: A very good point, right, is that you can be dissatisfied with your pick, but you can also say, yeah, it was still the better pick, or it is somebody who I would stick with. That was actually probably the biggest democratic problem in a nutshell we should also say, did not realize, you know, not only with the approval figure, but flagged this morning was that in that NBC News poll about approval rating, about thirty six percent approval, you'll see approved of the Republican Party, but of those they consider themselves part of the MAGA movement, which is apparently one of the highest numbers ever recorded. I think that's important from a party takeover perspective.
Speaker 1: It's this old school idea that was tested.
Speaker 3: In twenty seventeen and in twenty twenty four during the primary that it's like MAGA is not really you know, part, Maga itself is a distinct part, and it's like, no, this is a complete and total takeover of the Republican Party. So I think that is important for people to understand too in terms of where their approval for Trump will be and in terms of also how they consider themselves politically distinct from any previous iteration of the Republican Party.
Speaker 1: You did have flagged this part of Chuck Schumer.
Speaker 3: He's apparently on book tour right now, what timing, and the book is on anti Semitism.
Speaker 1: How good is that? Right? It's like check check check. In terms of all the boxes. Here he is explaining why he decided to do what he did. Let's take aalism.
Speaker 6: I knew this would be an unpopular decision. I knew that I know politics, but I felt so strongly as a leader that I couldn't let this happen because weeks and months from now things would be far worse than they even are today, that I had to do what I had to do.
Speaker 7: Can I just ask you about the tactic here, because the choice that you made to vote with the Republicans, isn't that an argument to get rid of the filibuster. You wanted to keep it when you were in the majority, But if you're not going to use it in the minority, then what's the point of it.
Speaker 6: The point here again, I'll repeat what I said would be how devastating a shutdown would be. Just think a month from now if half the federal were.
Speaker 1: But I'm asking about the use of the philibuster.
Speaker 6: No, but the bottom line is if we would have if the filibuster would have been used and the government shut down, the devastation would be terrible. The choice has been made. But I think the whole Democratic Party is united on what I mentioned in the earlier broadcast showing how bad Trump is in every way organizing. We're organizing this week and next week in Republican districts. We're having rallies to not give tax breaks to millionaires. And we're succeeding. We're succeeding, Lulu, We're bringing his numbers down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just it was a great question. As answer is incredibly revealing. I do think everyone should really go back to the point that you were making.
Speaker 1: Is that it was obvious.
Speaker 3: This entire thing was obvious now for weeks anybody who can read the news in Washington, that means including these Senate leaders. And it's like, well, so he really had no idea Between you and Hakim Jeffreys, like what any sort of plan was. It is interesting the House Democrats were trying to cast a lot of blame on Schumer, but you know a lot of it's on them too, because looks like you were saying, if you knew this was coming down the pipeline, you needed to have some sort of strategy both for an alternative to be able to force Republicans. And actually the Republicans played their hands well at the end.
Speaker 1: What they did is they passed it and.
Speaker 3: Then they all just left town, meaning that basically the Democrats would have had to call it their bluff. If they had basically telegraphed from the future there could have been a fight. Then maybe the Republican leaders would not have felt so confident. And now you've got all the way through September. I mean, that's a long time in politics. That's nine months of the first Trump administration where he does not have to contend with a serious legislative crisis. And actually the real failure on Schumer's part is the tax bill, because now what they can do is use that tax bill and reconciliation they're in the future to basically pass it before that September deadline, meaning that this is now the ground that you have to fight on, where you've already given up any significant leverage that you once have. So it's actually maybe frankly worse than people may think, because if you hadn't just done let's say a thirty day extend of spending, you could continue to use that as leverage over a future tax negotiation. Now you have nothing, and the Republicans have united control of government. They can use the reconciliation package and they don't even need to look at you anymore.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, and it's it's not just the leverage. Jeff Stein actually did the best reporting on this in the CR.
Speaker 4: This actually hands Trump and.
Speaker 2: It's not really accurate to call it a CR because the Continuing Resolution is usually just the previous budget levels. This was not just the previous budget previous budget levels. This cut domestic spending, a raised defense spending. It had different provisions in it the Republicans wanted, like not having to vote on Trump's tariff agenda. But also inherent in this legislation is handing more power to the executive And so it's not just leverage. It's also a matter of fact and reality that, you know, the one place and we'll.
Speaker 4: Talk about this more later in the show.
Speaker 2: The one place where there has been some effective effort to you know, block and steiny the Trump and Elon, you know, take down the government approach has been in the court system, and you are cutting out some of the legal arguments you can make against them in court by signing on to this budget resolution. So that was the other part of this that was really incredibly important. What is so different here from the Trump one point zero in the Democratic Party approach really is the way that liberals are so disgusted with leadership. And you know, to Soccer's point about the House Democrats being pissed off at Schumer, we're not just talking about AOC here. Yes, AOC was pissed off, but there were moderate Democrats who reportedly were ready to write AOC checks to primary Chuck Schumer. Why because they felt like they got hung out to dry. They felt like, if you're in a swing district, you're facing a tough reelect. They felt like they took a tough vote to vote against this. I'm not really sure it was that tough of a vote. Ultimately, if it's going to be like that politically perils for them, but that's the way they felt about it. And then they felt they were made to quote walk the plank by Chuck Schumer. So they were furious at how they were sort of hung out to dry here, and so there's rebellion within the Democratic Caucus. I mean, it was astonishing. Hakeem Jeffries got asked the question like, hey, do you think Chuck Schumer should continue here in leadership and he said no comment, very pointedly no comment. Asked about it multiple times, would not say that he has confidence in Chuck Schuer, but that Chuck Schumer should continue to lead. I mean that in and of itself is quite extraordinary. Another extraordinary thing that happened is that Nancy Pelosi came out against Chuck Schumer and was like, no, Democrats should vote against this and they should shut it down. They should listen to the women's Now she didn't name him specifically, but obviously we all know this was, you know, quite a confrontational approach for her to take as well, putting that out. And so you've got a couple of organizations You've got past the torch. These are the people who sort of mobilized to try to push Biden out of the race after that disastrous debate performance, and put this up on the screen. They're calling for Schumer to resign. You know, that's significant. So you've them using their resources, their list whatever to push this messaging. And then you also have Indivisible, which is kind of the pre eminent liberal resistance group, which ended up being an adversarial to some of the like burning type primary candidates you know, over the years, etc. So these are liberals, right, rock solid democratic liberals who are also calling on Schumer to step aside, and then the Midas Touch folks have been quite aggressively critical of Schumer and are telling Democrats to quote, grow a spine. Let's go ahead and take a listen to what they had to say.
Speaker 8: Democrats need to use their leverage to stop what Trump and Musk and Doge are doing. Use every leverage point. Americans want fighters, not this crap, not caving. Grow a spine, vote against cloture, vote against the cr The American people are with you. And how do we know that because across the country, people in red areas, blue areas, purple areas are rising up at this hostile government takeover. We know what is happening. We know Musk is gutting Medicaid. We know Musk says that Social Security is a Ponzi scheme, and he's firing most of the people who work at the Social Security Administration. People see the government buildings shutting down. We see the Trump regime firing veterans, getting rid of the workers seventy thousand workers at the VA, getting rid of critical government infrastructure, sinking our economy. We must take a stand. We must use the leverage that we the people have to stop the hostile government, takeover, reconsider immediately, stop being spineless, fight for the people, stop.
Speaker 2: Being spineless, and might as such is really sort of like the beating heart of the Democratic Party base.
Speaker 4: At this point.
Speaker 2: They've had an astronomical growth in terms of their ratings. By some metrics, they are the number one podcast in the world, and you know, much at the expense of the MSNBC's and the CNNs and even the like Washington Posts in New York Times. So when they're coming out so aggressively against Democratic leadership, that is a significant indicator exactly.
Speaker 3: You know, somebody sent me something showing about their podcast statistics, and I think the answer is, it's like, okay, if it's not number one, how about this. It's just big channel. You know, it's four point five million subscribers on YouTube. These guys are racking up literally millions and millions of views. On top of people like Brian Tyler Cohen and other who we interviewed previously. People should go and watch that just to get a sense of kind of who these new thought leaders are in the Democratic Party and or really just like who people are abandoning liberal media for. It's not always you know, conservative influencers.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: So I do think that generally it's important for people to take this in and to see politically where the mood is going to go. But you know, the part of the issue is with timing and with leverage. It's like, well, what can you now really do in the future. Kick the can down the road to September. You can try and block the tax bill, It's not going to work because of the way that reconciliation and all that is in nine months is just an eternity, or it's six months or whatever is an eternity in politics. You see, who knows how much things could change in the meantime. Now is definitely the time they missed it. They're not going to have some grand showdown moment now for quite some time. I wouldn't put a pass Republicans to try and you know, attach a CR or something like that to a tax bill and kick this even further. They could even hitch the debt ceiling or something like that to reconcil it, to take away even more leverage points. By that time, you're in the midterms. And if this is all you have till the midterms, good luck to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Well, and I think that the people like might have touched in many others who were saying, grows fine, and you know, vote against this and shut it down. I think we're also immediately vindicated because what happened literally that night could put this up.
Speaker 4: On the screen.
Speaker 2: Trump move forward with gutting seven more agencies and issue in an executive order saying that you know, they should be effectively ended to the greatest extent possible. And like I was saying, you know, part of the argument against voting for this was that it handed more power to the Trump administration to take unilateral action. It strips away some of the legal arguments that you know, democratic allies can make in court against these sorts of things. And so the fact that they vote for this and then immediately Trump issues this executive order, that's like, you know, seven more agencies are toast. These were all, you know, relatively small agencies, but still obviously quite significant. I think that really immediately vindicated those who thought that the Democrats took the wrong strategy here and really should have stood up and fought and fought. The last thing I'll say is this is something we've touched on before. You know, the upset at Democratic leadership. First of all, it's across the board ideologically, it's really it's being painted sometimes and the media is like a left is their progressives or you know, the left is upset at democratic leadership. That's just not an accurate way to characterize it at this point because even within the Democratic House Caucus you have moderates who are very unhappy with the lack of leadership here. You know it, I wish it had more of an ideological valance to it, that there was more sort of like progressive ideology behind the revolt, but it's not. It's literally tactical. It's like, we want you to fight. We feel like our country is being taken away from us in real time. We feel like they are not operating by the rules, and you all are pretending like you're back in like nineteen eighty two and making deals and cutting deals across the aisle like that is just not going to work in this era, not to mention how out of touch they seem with all of their sort of like media outreach efforts, et cetera. So that really is the core of the upset at democratic leadership is not so much ideological, it's tactical. It's we want you to grow a spine, we want you to fight, We want you to prove to us that you actually care about what's happening right now in the way that we do. So this will be an important story to continue to watch as the Democratic Party figures it's way itself.
Speaker 4: Ount I necessarily I want.
Speaker 3: To see some primaries, though I want to because I haven't seen any announcements, you know, in the same way by this time or well, it's not really fair, but I guess if we're going to compare Doge and the liberal base is reaction to Obamacare, which was a little bit later in the administration during the first term. That's when those announcements for primary started to spring up. But I was checking, and I haven't seen any like real I mean, somebody always profiles or sorry, primaries, Nancy Pelosi plot twist. It never works out like somebody always primaries.
Speaker 1: I don't know Mansion or somebody like that. He's gone.
Speaker 3: So we need to see actual, like primary action for somebody who's up this time around, and then we need to see that level of like grassroots money that's inflowing it is I mean, if what was the whole beef with AOC over oversight where she promised not to primary people even if she still didn't get it. So the the problem is is like they're they're boxed into a corner a little bit.
Speaker 1: I'm curious to see if they're going to break away from that.
Speaker 3: If you really want to have some power in the next Congress, that's the only way that it's going to happen. The only reason the Tea Party ever got taken seriously is because they were able to take out literally the number two Republican in the country. People should just remember how insane stuff like that can be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, that was the idea behind the Justice Democrats, which of course Kyle was involved in the founding of, was that you would get some of these renegades in there who didn't owe their loyalty to the traditional democratic party system, and they would be adversarial to leadership in the same way that the Tea Party was adversarial to Republican leadership.
Speaker 4: And the Tea.
Speaker 2: Party and the you know, Freedom Caucus and these successive like Tea Party esque parts of the Republican Party, they have wielded disproportionate amount of power because they understood you only need a small number who will in a band together and gum things up and you can.
Speaker 4: Get a lot.
Speaker 2: You can actually extract a lot, but your threat has to be credible, and so you know they did. They were able to successfully primariously AOC and Joe Crowley being the most prominent example, but Corey Bush is able to get in their Jamal Bowman. These are all people, you know, challenging incumbent Democrats and being able to be successful.
Speaker 4: But then that second piece of being.
Speaker 2: Adversarial towards leadership that never came, and they were never able to really you know, use their power as some sort of cohesive group. They more acted as just like you know, standard individual members with individual viewpoints, et cetera. The fact that you now have the base pushing in this direction and you have again moderates even within the Democratic Caucus who are saying, primary, Chuck Schumer, we've got your back, et cetera, it's a different landscape that could create more courage among elected leaders to be more adversarial towards leadership. And in fact we've already seen that. I mean even with AOC herself, she's been quite aggressively critical of Chuck Schumer in this moment in a way that we really haven't heard her, you know, be critical of Nancy Pelosi or other Democratic leaders in the past. So we'll see you now, you know, like Zager says, we've got to see how this all shakes down and are their real primaries and do they succeed and how does this all come together? But I can tell you right now the landscape is so different in the Democratic Party and among you know who they're looking to also in terms of their media.
Speaker 4: Than it was previously.
Speaker 2: Absolutely all right, let's get to this reporting from the Harris campaign and Biden's involvement. This is from a new book coming out from Jonathan Allen and Amy Parts, two great reporters.
Speaker 4: We're going to have him on.
Speaker 2: The show to talk about this book as well and get even more details of what all went down within the Kamal campaign. But they released this excerpt. We can put this up on the screen. So they are looking at this core question of like, why the hell did this woman not separate herself from Joe Biden, who was clearly like like that was one of the core failures of this campaign.
Speaker 4: So let me go ahead and read this.
Speaker 2: They say that Kamala's rallies and convention speech had not answered the question of why she was running for president, how her vision for the country would deliver for voters other than having.
Speaker 4: Been next in line.
Speaker 2: She was running out of major moments to explain a vision to a broad audience. Her September tenth debate with Trump would offer another opportunity, perhaps the last chance before voters cast early ballots, to establish that key part of her narrative.
Speaker 4: But the day of the.
Speaker 2: Debate, Biden called to give Harris an unusual kind of pet talk and another reminder about the loyalty he demanded. No longer able to defend his own record, he expected Harris to protect his legacy. It goes on whether she won or lost the election. He thought she would only harm him publicly distancing herself from him, especially during a debate that would be watched by millions of Americans, to the extent that she wanted to forge her own path, Biden had no interest in giving her room to do so. He needed just three words to convey how much all of that mattered to him. No daylight, kid, Biden said, And apparently this is something he said to her repeatedly. In addition, she had Remember, she just basically took over the Biden slot with the Biden campaign out of Delaware. So she had all of these Biden staffers around her who were also interested in preserving his quote unquote legacy. They talk in this in this excerpt, there's an anecdote where they were in some other kind of for an interview and she started ticking off like, here's all the great things that Biden did, blah blah bla. And one of the staffers was like, let's not do the whole trip down memory lane.
Speaker 4: That Stapfer was.
Speaker 2: Never invited back to the one who actually had a good idea. That one was cut out and never invited back here. So, I mean, there's two things to say about this. Number One, Biden, what a shitty person, What a narcissistic person? Like what a liar that you actually care about defeating Trei? Like you cared more about your own ego preservation than actually defeating the guy that you said was, you know, a fascist and authoritarian threat to the country.
Speaker 4: How pathetic is that? Number Two?
Speaker 2: How pathetic is it the Kama will listen like, ultimately, she's the primary actor. She got to do what she wanted. She could have run the campaign however she went she wanted to. When that Stafford got cut out, it should have been like, no, actually you are cut out, Stephanie Cutter, the person who you know was leading the charge. There, you're out. This person's in. I need to shake this up. I need to listen to people who are actually going to give me good advice in order to win this campaign, rather than to protect the feelings of you know, an elderly, senile old man.
Speaker 3: I completely agree. That's I was thinking about it. If you think in the past, this is always attention when vice presidents run again while their incumbent president is in office, President vice President Nixon in nineteen sixty Al Gore, George H. W. Bush, and in all cases though, I still think they did a better job of distinguishing themselves, yeah, from their person that they were in.
Speaker 1: And those people were.
Speaker 3: Actually popular as opposed to Biden. I mean, if you think about it just in terms of like peer nuts and bolts, not only has Biden dropped out of the race, which puts him at a way weaker position than any of those presidents previously literal two termers who were pretty popular, they also have a situation where he's a senile old man. He's going to be gone in a decade. I don't wish for that to happen, but you know, statistically more it's very likely. So what are you waiting for? Like, these mistakes were literally so high. If you're a liberal, you got crushed. I mean, you basically uctured in a new era of American government. I think that's great, but you know, you guys told us that was horrible. It was a terrible thing. And could you really imagine any Republican vice president you need a similar circumstance who wasn't willing to do that. I mean even John McCain was more critical of George W. Bush when he was running in two thousand and eight than Kamala Harris was. So yeah, I think this shows a profound lack of.
Speaker 1: Courage, both on the walls and the Kamala campaign front. You can't say that you were hamstrung by Biden. It's just not true.
Speaker 3: I mean, the vast majority of the money that came in to the campaign came in.
Speaker 1: After Biden dropped out. It really was on her name alone.
Speaker 3: Now, I think she was a terrible candidate, and the fundamental flaw from the very beginning. I think we've talked about this at the time, is why are you keeping all these idiot Biden staff and like they're terrible, right.
Speaker 1: You could spin up something new.
Speaker 3: You got oceans one billion, one point five billion dollars at your disposal. You need to really try and draw a contrast. And I think she lost. I mean, look, I don't think she ever really had a chance because of Biden, but she almost certainly really lost in that view interview when she was like, can't think of anything that I would have done to it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like that's it.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 3: I mean, how many times we say that here America does not want this period, So it's it's just loser all the way around here.
Speaker 2: They thought that the fact that she, you know, was a looked different, was a different race, was younger, whatever, they thought that would stand in for her being different for Biden.
Speaker 4: That was their theory.
Speaker 2: Genuinely, that was their theory. And I think, you know, to me, like she should have brought in her own people. I think you're right about that.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I mean you can kind of sympathy Ari.
Speaker 2: We have this very short period of time, there's already a campaign in a box. I just gotta go with kind of what I got here. But the prom with Kamala has always been that she doesn't have her own political sense and judgment, and you saw this in her twenty twenty primary campaign.
Speaker 4: They were always you know.
Speaker 2: Changing the messaging with the seasons. As one staff or put it, she needed she was for Medicare for all. No, she's against Medicare for all. No, she has her own thing. Oh, I didn't answer that.
Speaker 4: I was laughing. I didn't understand the question. I changed my mind.
Speaker 2: She just she doesn't have her own core number one and her own political gut instinct.
Speaker 4: Of what she should do and where she should be.
Speaker 2: So if she kept the same staffers, but she was like, guys, it's an idiotic idea for me to think that just because I'm a woman, that I'm going to be seen as different and a break from Biden when I was literally part of this administration, Like.
Speaker 4: That is foolish. And every poll shows that the biggest liability I have is this dude.
Speaker 2: So we got to come up with something better than this. Like she could have done that with the staffers that she had, but she didn't. And you know, again, this is stuff. We talked about sort of at nauseum during the campaign about how when you don't have your own view of the world that you can articulate so that you can make make sense to other people. When you have reporters like just nine who was like trying to like, what would you actually do and we never actually really knew what the priority would be on day one, then you're not going to come across as authentic to people. They're not going to believe anything you see really, and you know, you end up in full ridiculous situations like this where Biden says no distance skin You're like, yes, sir, sure, let me just tank my campaign, and you know, hand the country to a bunch of fascists by not separating myself or you.
Speaker 4: Another instance of.
Speaker 2: A sort of weak, weak democratic answering here, Katie Porter is running for governor in California.
Speaker 4: I like Katie Porter.
Speaker 2: I think she did a lot of good stuff when she was here in DC. You know, she was one of the few people she really has an understanding of sort of like Wall Street and banking, and she was pretty, you know, pretty committed to standing up against corporate abuses. Is someone you know, Matt Stoller has really appreciates Hetera too.
Speaker 4: But she gets asked this question.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's say that Kamala Harris gets into the governor's race, and this is a pot Save America interview, what happens then? And she's basically like, yeah, I'll pretty much just get out and defer to her.
Speaker 4: Let's take and listen to what she has to say.
Speaker 9: There rumors that the vice president may get in the race.
Speaker 1: Later.
Speaker 9: I I saw some reporting that you said that that the vice president might clear the field, and I was surprised to see that one of your advisors apparently told CNN that you wouldn't run against Kamala.
Speaker 1: Is that true?
Speaker 10: Well, so listen what I've said, and what I'm gonna say again today is that I think if Kamala comes into this race, especially if she comes in tomorrow, she comes in now, it's going to have a near field clearing effect. It's just going to be well, I'm not sure who all. There's a big field of people, and some of them have said they're staying in no matter what, right, So I think it's going to shake up the field lace and it's going to have a sort of a seismic effect that said, we got to start this process. Now, Kamala's going to make her decision in her own time. The vice president is owed that that's her decision to make. And I've worked with her. I know that she's a careful decision maker, She's a thinker, and so she's going to make her decision. But in the meantime, it is full speed ahead voters. I'm not waiting around, and I don't think voters are waiting around.
Speaker 1: Well. They want to know how we're going to lead.
Speaker 10: They want to make plans for what we're going to do with regard to Trump, and so I think there's a hunger for people to lead in this moment, and I'm stepping up.
Speaker 9: I'm like, honestly, like what I expect from as someone who admires and respects you as a leader and a political figure. I'm surprised you're not saying, I don't care what Kamala Harris does, I will be the best governor. Like that's what I don't That's what it's confusing to me, Like, I isn't the person that's supposed to lead this big fracture state. The person who Sayskamla can get in who I don't give a fuck. I'm gonna if she gets an Albeter. Well, I'm not sure that are leaders. People want to hear our leader saying, well.
Speaker 1: You would say it. I'm not. I have to see it right district form my vibe. But I do think.
Speaker 10: Look, I am not waiting for Kamala Harris, and I don't think anyone should who wants to lead. I think what it means to lead is to literally step forward right, to be willing to be at the tip of the spear in this moment. That's exactly why I'm launching. That's why I've been working on this. I am not sitting back waiting to see what Kamala does. I am not considering other races hedging my bet I'm going to be California's next governor. But it would also be I think, disrespectful to somebody who went toe to toe month after month after month in a grueling race against Donald Trump. And and I saw this firsthand personally serve California very very ably as our attorney general. Not to acknowledge that this is somebody who would be an incredibly strong candidate. And there are practical realities that anyone faces.
Speaker 4: I mean, what is with this deference, like make the case for yourself.
Speaker 2: If you want to run for governor, you got to be able to say I would be the best person. Here's why you can say I respect Kamalin, but we have a different view. And here's why I think I should be the fighter that California deserves. Like this is not hard and yet you know, I mean, it reminds me of also Hakeem Jeffreys getting asked about Eric Adams, who is like wildly unpopular in New York City, and even then he can't say, you know, I think maybe he should resign since he's been caught in these like naked corruption scandals. Like what is with this deferential bend the knee, avoid controversy at all costs, And they're always trying to think rather than say what they really think. They're always trying to figure out how to get the right answer, and that comes through you can see her processing in real time, like Okay, well, I don't want to piss off this constituency and you know she was this historic trailblazer, and but I want to assert myself and it just ends up as this mess rather than just saying Listen, Kamala Harris is gonna do what she's gonna do. But here's that's why I think I will be the strongest candidate for governor and I will be the next governor in California.
Speaker 4: Like, I just don't get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like you're living in a cult. That's what it is. You're living in a cult of deference. And just imagine, American politics is not really supposed to work that way. Now, it's a little ironic for people to talk about that on the Trump side, but you know, to his credit, he did win. He won the primary in twenty twenty four, and he won the presidency, and so you know, in a certain way, he's like earned his status, whereas Kamala is literally the worst performing Democratic candidate on a ticket since John Kerry. Like imagine in five, if Obama was like, well, I'll just leave it up to Jump Cary, It's like, what why would you ever do that? They rightfully were discarded. Same in John McCain. John McCain had no say over Republican affairs after two thousand and eight. Correctly, in twenty and thirteen, you think the Tea Party was calling up Mitt Romney and like, hey, Mitt, let me run this one by you. It's crazy. This is one where if you lose, like I like the British model, then you're done.
Speaker 1: You're gone. You should not run for anything, Kamala. I mean she could try.
Speaker 3: In the Nixon famously ran for governor of California and lost after he lost the presidency. But it was like a road of redemption. Maybe that's how she views her future. But I just have no idea where this Katie Porter type energy comes from, specifically the way that she positioned herself when she was here in Washington. The other sense, and maybe you know more about this in me, is that because the California Democratic Party is so archaic and is so like literally locked down and run from the top, that you have no real choice but to try and preserve your way within the system. And maybe the California Democrats there want her to run. I don't know why they would want. That be a disaster, but I have no clue.
Speaker 4: I don't know either.
Speaker 2: I can't say with regard to the California political like landscape, it is a bit of a like machine and state and whatever. But it's just it's just pathetic to see it's just pathetic to see like this lady has not earned.
Speaker 4: This level of deference whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Porterlake genuinely does have something different to offer. So that's what makes it an extra disappointing to see this response from her last piece we have here, which is just really interesting and again kind of goes back to what we were saying about some of these shifts with the Democratic base and who they're seeing as leaders, the direction they want the party to go in, etc. Can put this up on the screen. So CNN asked this question. It says, here, who do you think the leader the Democratic Party is? That isn't exactly the question that they asked. They actually asked who best represents the values the core values of the Democratic Party, And coming in first place is AOC which again and then number two is Kamala Harris makes sense given you know she's still just like top of mind whatever. Then Bernie, then Kim Jeffrey. I don't know who those people are. Then number at four percent, Barack Obama tied with Jasmine Crockett four percent. Gavin is it to Pelosi's it to alyssa Slutkin, to Schumert, to Tim Walls one So you know, I'm curious what you may made of this, soger, But I mean, you can see there's like ideology all over the place. But what you see at the top of that list with AOC is she has been out front and very vocal and very aggressive in challenging Trump and the Trump administration.
Speaker 4: And that's what people want to see.
Speaker 2: It's also funny because it comes something as an earlier poll where you had, you know, some plurality of Democratic voters who were like, we want the party to be more moderate. But then it's like, this is who we think is moderate, you know, this is who we think she is just.
Speaker 3: A Democrat now, I mean, she's didn't want a primary people.
Speaker 1: She she was. This is the part I don't really understand.
Speaker 3: I really believed Democratic voters would reward people who only called out Biden for his age, like Dean Phillips.
Speaker 1: I don't know why they're not doing so.
Speaker 3: Like AOC and Bernie were two of the people who actually stuck with Biden longer than many moderate Democrats who called him out in the future.
Speaker 1: So I guess Trump is the only thing that matters to them.
Speaker 3: I don't really understand why I think voter should reward good political judgment in the moment. You should look to people like Nancy Pelosi and others who look, this is ideology aside, it was good political judgment at that time to be like, this is not happening period for some of the first people to actually call Biden out for his age.
Speaker 1: I thought that that would matter more. Doesn't appear to be.
Speaker 3: Maybe just because of the way the news in all that is working, it could matter more in a primary.
Speaker 1: But looking at this, yeah, I mean, the.
Speaker 3: Political theory of resistance, or at least the appearance of resistance, is one that's quite popular right now. I actually think outside of all of it, the number one story to me is Barack Obama at four percent. That's where I was like, wow, because that's how you know that the Obama psyop, which has basically lasted since two thousand and four when he went.
Speaker 1: On the DNZ stage, is officially over. You know. I was telling you this about.
Speaker 3: The Michelle Obama podcast, and look, I mean, it's just shocking to me that this person, who is an internationally famous woman who at one point had one of the best selling books in history, has got thirty six thousands subscribers on YouTube and is getting like one hundred thousand views on.
Speaker 1: Her podcast episode with her brother.
Speaker 3: One of the clips she has Crystal is thirteen thousand views, and it's called, in my opinion, plane etiquette, where Michelle is telling us to keep your toes to yourself. Lady, when's the last time you even flew on a commercial airliner twenty years ago? It's not to dunk on a Michelle Well, I guess part of it is, but it's just a show like that is just not where the energy is well right now, whereas these Midas guys are racking up two point five million views on a clip. So, yeah, the Obama era is over. I mean, if anything, that might be Trump's greatest gift to us ault.
Speaker 2: Because if you think about it, so right now you've got Elon slashing and burning through government handing in self contract, the richest man on the planet. You have we're about to talk about like hundreds of people just disappeared into a foreign prison and court orders openly defied here in in other instances as well, you have them going in now there.
Speaker 4: We've already got to.
Speaker 2: Documented instances of social security benefits being taken unjustly from people, including one instance where it was literally taken out of someone's bank account because they thought that she was dead and she was not dead.
Speaker 4: You've got them planning a.
Speaker 2: Massive tax cut for the rich, massive cuts to medicaid. You have an all out assault on the government and the liberal order, and you know, an anti semitism I'm going to talk about today being weaponized in order to crush dissent, crush free speech, crush academic freedom.
Speaker 4: And where are the Obamas?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: They have nothing to say about that, nothing to say about it. So, yeah, how could that reflect the core of what the Democratic Party base sees as happening in this moment. On the other hand, you have AOC who's out there every day. You know, she's on Twitter, she's doing Instagram live, she's getting in people's faces, she's doing cable news hits. She is out there, and while she doesn't have any more power than anyone else than the Democratic Party in this moment, she has made herself visible and made it clear that she's as upset at what is going on as they are, and that's really what people are looking for. I mean, you know, Bernie really set the standerd with going out starting these town halls now you see other Democrats like starting to follow that model as well. That's why he ends up sort of at the top of this list too. Jasmin Crockett kind of comes out of nowhere to be now tied with Barack Obama in terms of.
Speaker 4: Who reflects the core values of the party.
Speaker 2: Because, yeah, while there is a sense of, you know, down the road in a Democratic primary, there's going to be ideological debates of whatever, right now, there's almost no luxury for that. It's just like, this is happening, This salt is happening at a faster pace than anyone could have possibly expected. And the people who are at least showing some courage and putting up a fight, those are the people who, to us need to lead us going forward. So it's not a surprise to me that AOC ends up at the top of that list. But I do think, you know, it's very different from how things would have been in the like resistance err or even in the Biden.
Speaker 4: Error or whatever.
Speaker 2: She always was sort of, you know, when they did questions about who's the leader, who's the who represents the core values, et cetera. She was always seen as more of like a fringe sort of character within the Democratic Party, and now because of the way she's asserted herself, because of the way Bernie has asserted himself, they have really sort of claimed the moment and filled the vacuum for what people are looking for.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yes, caveats still apply, is she doesn't have good political judgment if you still look in the past, it's this whole like getting in the face of things. I mean, there's a big reason why liberals, you know, or leftists have not been very politically successful a lot of the times that they've tried to do this in the past, and there is like a huffing your own glue attitude I think in a lot of liberal circles where they're genuinely convinced that this is going to work.
Speaker 10: Yeah,