Speaker 1: Native lampod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: This is another solo pod featuring me your host, Angela Raie for today. I am happy to be here with my guests, but I am sad about at least one of the reasons that we are here and one of the topics for today, and that is this Minnesota church protest that the administration has chosen to use to make an example out of protesters and journalists. So just yesterday, Attorney General Pam Bondi announced that two more of the nine defendants had been arrested. One of them is Ian Austin and the other is Jerome Richardson, who is a college student in Philadelphia. Jerome Richardson as a young man who spent his time at that protest helping Don Lemon get He's a multimedia producer and has also been pricked. His conscience was pricked when George Floyd was killed in Minnesota and joined protests. Then he knows the protests well, he knows the community well, being a Minneapolis resident, and that day he was present for the protest and now today finds himself behind bars waiting to see a judge and to see what happens as at the time that we began to record, that is the latest that I have. I asked that you all please continue to lift up Jerome Richardson and Ian Austin in prayer and definitely send resources their way so they can continue to fight these really frivolous cases. To remind everyone, this was not a pointless church protest. It was at City's Church in Minneapolis, where one of the pastors of the church serves I'm so sorry, City Church in Saint Paul serves as an ice field director, David Easterwood, And that is what the protesters arrived to protest. Joining me now is someone who taught me everything I know. And that is not hyperbolic by any sense, because that man is who many of you all have begun to call Popa Rye, so Eddie Rye Jr. The perpetual protester, the man who I know to carry a bullhorn. Whether or not it is operational and has batteries doesn't matter. The point is he is going to have a bullhorn and probably a protest signed so Daddy, thank you for joining me.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much for having me.
Speaker 3: It's my highest honor.
Speaker 1: So I want to play this clip because I want to contrast what the Trump administration does with protests in church, all church protests. It sounds like, Daddy are not made equals. So let's roll this clip. First of the Minnesota protest.
Speaker 5: David Easterwood is a pastor here. He is also the director of the field office for ICE and Saint Paul. So someone who claims to worship God teaching people in this church about God. It's out there overseeing ICE agents. Think about what we've experienced, the murder of Renee Good at the hands of ICE, a Venezuelan national shot by ICE, a six month old baby who almost died as a result of ICE unleashing military gray weapons on our community. How dare you claim to be a pastor of God and you are involved in evil in our community.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, Dad, you can hear them clearly yelling ICE out. So it has little to do with the Gospel and everything to do with the role of the pastor outside of the church. When you see that, what's your response to the organizers? Do you have any visceral reaction to protesting in church as a protest to yourself, do you think that's a no?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: Is that a ligne that's crossed?
Speaker 4: Not at all. Anytime you have a pastor that's allegedly is bringing people to Jesus Christ and is doing the dationally deeds that is is performing, they should be they should be protesting. And I agree fully with the protests. The pastor, alleged pastor is a hypocrite. He really can be a man of God if he is incarcerating and harassling, intimidating, deporting people who have committed no crimes other than trying to survive in the state of Minnesota and the city of Minneapolis.
Speaker 3: Saint Paul, I want to roll this next clip.
Speaker 1: This is my colleague and co host Bacari Sellers, who had a very visceral reaction to this protest and who was also raised by a protester and activist by the name of Cleveland Sellers.
Speaker 3: Let's see what Bakari had to say about church protests.
Speaker 7: I don't mind people covering a protest. My problem is with the protesters, and the reason being is because where do you draw the line. It's an extremely slippery slope. And one of the palses of worship that I find near and dear to my heart is Mother Emmanuel Ami. And in January of twenty twenty four, when Joe Biden was in there speaking, it was crashed by some far love not even far left, but some left wing Charleston National protesters. And you know, it was just a bunch of older black folks in there trying to pray worship. And Mother Emmanuel is a sacred place for a lot of us. I mean, it just warms our spirit a lot of us, and we're not trying to go to church to have it interrupted by protesters, particularly for this or that. And so I just find that to be a very slippery slope. If you're like, oh, well we can just protest ice, well, who's to keep somebody from protesting single payer healthcare or whatever it may be? And that for me is a very personal thing. I'm not trying to impose it on anybody else. That just crosses the line for me.
Speaker 1: So Dad, here, just for context for our audience, Mother Emmanuels of course, where Dylan Ruth went into a Bible study shot and killed the Emmanuel nine. So I understand the tenderness around Bakari and his statement around Mother Emmanuel.
Speaker 4: What do you say to that, I agree with Bacari sellers all the way. You know, it's one thing to have a protest. That's another thing to go into be invited into a place of worship and kill nine people. So the other thing is that crash and interrupt a meeting or presentation by President Joe Biden. There's nothing to compare the two situations.
Speaker 1: So you're saying you agree with him about Mother Emanuel the massacre, but not Mother Emanual the protest of Joe Biden. You're staying with the protesters with the Biden protest piece.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, I'm just saying, in America, you're supposed to have rights to do whatever, But you know, I can't condemn people for speaking up, especially in a non violent, peaceful kind of protests. Yeah, that's the kind of protests that I advocate, and that's the kind of protests that I've been involved with over my life. There's been occasions, like when the closing on construction sites, where two or three people might get on the line and something might happen, but for the most parts, they were all peaceful.
Speaker 3: When you say something might happen, what might have happened? Dead?
Speaker 4: Oh, a fistal cuffs or something like that.
Speaker 3: Have you ever swung on anybody at a protest, Daddy, No, I've.
Speaker 4: Only talked bad to him. I've never had that, never raised my hands anyone.
Speaker 3: Would you say?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know if I can say it on this podcast, but.
Speaker 1: Well, you like to tell me I need to stop cussing on the podcast. You have something you like to share on the podcast.
Speaker 4: Sack of names?
Speaker 3: Okay, sackphle of names? Okay, we'll take it on and want to back you.
Speaker 4: My pastor might be might be checking in on this spot.
Speaker 3: Oh I doubt he's listening, but let's keep going. So here's the thing.
Speaker 1: I want to see if your idea around protest changes when you see this particular protest. This is a white man who I probably I believe is probably a white nationalist. At our good friend, Reverend doctor Jamal Harrison Bryant's church very recently, let us roll this clip new Birth.
Speaker 6: Well, Jesus Christ, it's gonna destroy this church. He's gonna destroy this churchful.
Speaker 3: And adherent it.
Speaker 4: When he does, you'll.
Speaker 6: Destroy you with it.
Speaker 2: It's time to repanci up your wicked will raise spain, stirring hatred among the children of God.
Speaker 6: He know that won't come to tie and won't because you make your name halaughing stock.
Speaker 4: You blasphy the name of Jesus.
Speaker 6: Christ with your heart tree, with your hoorishness, your wickedness, your guiltyness, your prayers.
Speaker 4: Don't you reach the sea? You break the demons. It's time to get right with God.
Speaker 2: Look, God of the bibleists going to destroy you unless your heads, your materialism, your racism.
Speaker 6: And all of your high midnessness.
Speaker 4: It's going in with Jesus' returns.
Speaker 1: So this pilgrim that decided to set foot in Jamal Harrison Bryant's church said things like God's going to destroy this church and if you're in it, he will destroy you with it. Repent from your wicked ways, including race baiting, and says your prayers don't even reach the ceiling. What do you think about this protest at is it contrasted? Does he have the right to be there hollering threatening?
Speaker 4: No? And the man as a matter of fact, he's inferring that if you're not white, you're not going to be saved and you don't know Jesus Christ. And he's lucky that some churches he wouldn't say it.
Speaker 1: Being there for five minutes, Dad, can you spin back around to the middle of the camera.
Speaker 3: Police, come back there? You got I got it, okay.
Speaker 4: So he's fortunate because I know a few deacons that wouldn't tolerate that at all in Baptist churches. And he would have been escorted out gingerly at first. But it's been a little different a little later. But yeah, you know, that's completely different to come in and accuse people who are worshiping Jesus Christ that they're not worthy to be praising the Lord. So I think he needed to reread that book. He's carrying it with the Bible. He needs to read that again and get a better understanding. Matter of fact, he might go to the brother's church and get go to Bible study. That might help it.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: So in your mind, the protesters, the heightst protesters are contrasted from from this white man who's screaming, you know, threatening things at Jamal's church.
Speaker 4: To see what's happening in Minneapolis, Saint Paul in Minnesota, Yeah, you can't see anything that's egregious is happening in that church other than this one man's opinion, than this because it's a black church. That's what really was.
Speaker 6: Do you.
Speaker 3: Sorry?
Speaker 4: In other words, no, I've just said in other words, he is saying that if you're not white, you're not right. And anytime you go on to a worship, a place of worship where people are work worshiping Jesus Christ or whoever you worship, you know that should be done in a certain way. But when you have a church whose pastor is a field director for hest, that's a different story altogether. He is a walking contradiction and he really needs to turn his license in for me for preaching.
Speaker 1: Well, so I think with that, what is interesting to me about this is you know that the Department of Justice wasted no time in prosecuting not only the protesters but also journalists who are clearly journalists. If you go to Don Leman's page, Georgia Ford's page, you know very clearly that they are journalists. DJ filed pressure Sorry, indicted, got indicted, got Georgia for Don Lemon indicted, as well as seven other people including Nikima who you saw speaking on the mic on Georgia Fort's coverage, And what I think is fascinating here, Dad, is we haven't heard anything about them pressing charges against this man who was dropped in a time capsule. Well, you think they're going to press charges against the man who infiltrated Jamal Bryant's church.
Speaker 4: That man that was in beating at that church is a representative of Donald J. Trump and a Trump administration. Okay, That's that's who he represents. So anytime people seek the truth and confront injustice, like Don Lemon, miss Ford and other journalists and the protesters, they're protesting and justice. You can see what they're protesting. You can see what Ice is doing to people, five year old kids being held and separated from their parents, and just speaking of anybody and everybody, and the whole time the Trumpet illustration, especially the President saying we're going to go after the people who are the troublemakers and need and they're just getting anybody. And now they're getting ready to move to Ohio to vamp on the Haitians there. So that means that every black person in that area gotta be careful. And I guess some people are wearing their passports. Around their neck. But anytime you stand for injustice against any group, injustice was coming for you next.
Speaker 3: So I want to speak.
Speaker 1: Slightly more in a more light hearted way about injustice. But I appreciate your words and your thoughts about protests in church and when it is acceptable and when it is not. But there was another grave injustice, Dad. We were at a Super Bowl game, I believe it was Super Bowl forty nine, and there was a play called that neither of us wanted to see. And on the other side of that game, I think you and I embarrassed Mom so much. I don't have footage of how much we embarrass Mom, but I do have footage of this play, and I want you to I had never seen this before. I want you to see what the refs said about this play. It's a split screen. Let's roll this clip. I can throw that if donnch oh, They said, why would you throw the ball if you've got Lynch with less than a minute to go. You saw that fateful day, Dad, where they threw the ball into the end zone and Marshawn Lynch was not there to catch it. Before your reaction, I just would like for you to hear Marshawn Lynch's reaction, which I had also not heard, not in this way.
Speaker 3: Let's roll that clip.
Speaker 4: You see the reaction from everybody.
Speaker 8: And then as I'm going back to the salon and I go right to Pete Carroll face and I'm talking about I hit his ass with the.
Speaker 4: Biggest Why didn't they give you that ball?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 8: I have no idea and from the nobody taking accountability for coordinator and head coach, that's when they're talking to me.
Speaker 4: So I don't know.
Speaker 8: You know that shit were painful because you gotta think like you know, you took a dream away, you took a moment away, you take a dynasty away, you take away all that shit. But you know you put us in the in the history books as the dumbest call in football history.
Speaker 3: As the dumbest car in history. It says, But daddy, yes.
Speaker 1: Today, Dad, what's your theory of the case. We talked about this a lot off air. Why do you think they did not throw Marshall Lynch the ball?
Speaker 4: To be honest with you, I don't think they wanted Marshall. Let you be to more most valuable player, That's what it was. Tom Brady was already crying. He knew that Marshan Lynch is gonna get the ball and the Seahawks are gonna win the Super Bowl. Why they did that, I will never know. It was probably the dumbest play ever called in football as far as I'm concerned. It was a play ever when you got Marshawn Lynch and you go back and throw a pass and this man is capable of just winning the game for you win the Super Bowl and will never be forgotten. I guess, Uh, the coach just lost.
Speaker 3: His job and Las Vegas, yes, yeah, didn't.
Speaker 4: Do too well there. But I just say, it's just it was just so. I really think they did not want Marshan Lynch to be the MVP. If somebody knows something different, please please share it with me.
Speaker 3: But we would like to know. We would like to know, We would inquiring minds would like to know.
Speaker 4: It just did not make any sense whatsoever when you got Marshawn Lynch, who got you all the way down on the field, knowing darn well that he was scored a touchdown. But the only thing I don't know who called that play? Pete Carroll said he didn't call the play.
Speaker 3: He said the offensive coordinator called the play.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he's the head coach and he can't change nothing.
Speaker 3: Come on, man, well I think we will.
Speaker 1: We will see if history will repeat itself this weekend coming up in San Francisco or in the Bay Area at Levi Stadium. I guess my question to you, now, Dad, is who would if they were in the same exact position, who would you have run the ball from the Seahawks the same way?
Speaker 3: Marshaun Lynch should have run the ball.
Speaker 4: kW three, all right, third, k W three. Zach could do it, but he's hurt. But kW three will definitely be getting the ball as far as I'm concerned. I'm not the coach.
Speaker 3: But are you putting money on it? You got five on it or off?
Speaker 4: No, But I'll tell you one thing. They get down there, i'd show we'll put some money on it. I think they will do well the super Bowl. I understand that you will be at the super Bowl.
Speaker 3: That is the plan. I wish you wouldn't tell these people my whereabouts why Ice is on the streets.
Speaker 4: I don't think I gonna be at no super Bowl. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 3: Oh, Daddy, I think you I don't know about that. They're saying they're gonna go.
Speaker 4: Well, as long as they don't let him in.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, it's stranger things have happened. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I hope your president doesn't go. I'm sure he's not gonna go. He don't want to see Bad Bunny.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, I'm glad Bad Bunny's gonna be there.
Speaker 3: Me too, Dad, me too.
Speaker 1: And shout out to our rock Nation family because they're doing the super Bowl halftime show.
Speaker 3: I know it's gonna be great.
Speaker 4: And who is rock Nation? Angela, you don't know who rock Nation is? I'm a o G. Dad.
Speaker 1: Rock Nation is the business that was stood up by jay Z, Sean Carter, Beyonce's has been in case you don't know jay Z now either, And have you listened to some tracks or something?
Speaker 3: So then why don't you know rock Nation?
Speaker 4: Well? I know heard. I know about rock Nation because rock Nation and you are going to the super Bowl. I know that much.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: Anyway, the point is Dez Desire Perez is the president and CEO there, and she has become like a wonderful big sister. I've learned so much from her, and she does a lot of good in this world, including with the Reform Alliance with the United Justice Coalition. There's not a single thing that she doesn't do to make sure that people are taken care of, especially those who are suffering the most. So they've done a lot of good work around mass incarceration, on prison abuses. They did a documentary on Parchment prison that I showed at the CBC Institute in Tunica that I believe you saw. And so I've been able to do some work with him over the years. That's great, and she's become like a big sister I never had.
Speaker 4: So Yes, I'm glad to hear that he's doing so much. Can she also do me to the Super Bowl as well?
Speaker 1: No, Dad, Unfortunately, desire is not going to be your ticket to United States reparations. But I'm so glad you continue to be in that fight. In that fight, maybe you'll get him in the state, in the city, and in the country, especially when Donald Trump is no longer the president. I don't think he's got those types of interest, but I appreciate this moment.
Speaker 3: We love Marshaun Lynch. We shout you out.
Speaker 1: We're so proud of all your successes, all the great things you do in community and business.
Speaker 7: Dad.
Speaker 3: You know, he's killing it on his new show. So he's doing great things.
Speaker 4: Mrcals and Seattle some date back to before those are super Bowl and it's still fun because he's that popular.
Speaker 3: He's great.
Speaker 4: He's probably one of the most popular Seahawks. It's still around and.
Speaker 1: He's very funny. Oh, it's very funny. Now you're not here, so you don't get fined, but we are going to head out.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: You have any parting words for the people, go see Hawks. Well you can't see my fists.
Speaker 3: I that love you until next time.
Speaker 1: Y'all.
Speaker 3: Welcome home. Oh stay to the people. You gotta come this way.
Speaker 4: I got it, I got it.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. All right, this has been great. We're done.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeart Radio and partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.