Speaker 1: Hey everyone, It's Jay Shaddy and I'm thrilled to announce my podcast tour. For the first time ever, you can experience on purpose in person. Join me in a city near you for meaningful, insightful conversations with surprise guests. It could be a celebrity, top wellness expert, or a CEO or business leader. We'll dive into experiences designed to experience growth, spark learning, and build real connections. I can't wait to meet you. There are a limited number of VIP experiences for a private Q and a intimate meditation and a meet and greet with photos. Tickets are on sale now. Head to Jaysheddy, dop Me Forward Slash Tour and get yours today.
Speaker 2: To whom much is given, much is expected. The guilt comes from am I doing enough?
Speaker 1: Me?
Speaker 2: Michelle Obama to say that to a therapist. So let's impat that former First Lady Michelle Obama and someone who knows her best, her big brother. We'll be hosting a podcast called I Am O.
Speaker 1: What have been your personal journeys with therapy?
Speaker 2: We need to be coached throughout our lives.
Speaker 3: And my mom wanted us to be independent children and she would always tell me stop worrying about your sister.
Speaker 2: Having been the first lady of the entire country and representing the country in the world, I couldn't afford to have that kind of disdain.
Speaker 1: What would you say has been the most hardest, g recent test of fear.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna make him start so that I don't start crying.
Speaker 4: The number one health and well in the podcast.
Speaker 2: Jay Sheety Jay Shetty Jon.
Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, welcome back to on Purpose, the place you come to become the happier, healthier and more healed. Today's guests are two of my favorite people. I'm so grateful and excited to welcome one of the back, and one of them for the first time ever. I'm speaking about none other than Michelle Obama and Craig Robinson. Welcome Purpose Dynamic.
Speaker 2: I always say, it's like your my most favorite interview ever period.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, that's saying a lot.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Wow, you're gonna make me cry. That's so sweet.
Speaker 4: She's the one who turned me on to you, so this like old Home Week.
Speaker 1: Thank you both, But honestly, I'm so grateful. I was just thinking when I was preparing for this, I was like, I wish my sister was in town because then we could have double interviewed.
Speaker 2: All right, we're gonna we have to do that.
Speaker 1: She would have killed me if I did that to her, because she's not She's an optometrist in London, the best. Yeah, we're going to check your eyes for you. She's four and a half years younger than me, and I still remember the moment. Well, I don't remember the moment. It's interesting. I've seen a picture of me holding her when she was born, and I was four and five years old, and so I have this memory that I held her when she was born. Yeah, and we've been inseparable ever since.
Speaker 3: Jay, you're gonna have to when she comes to town, just don't tell her. Just tell us and we'll come back and we can just ambush her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she will, but we have one of those pictures to my favorite family picture. I was a newborn. I was maybe ten months, but I was one of these big, fat, round, puffy babies and a bonnet and a white dress, and my dad was in a suit and a bow tie and mom our Mom had the most beautiful tunic dress on and Craig sat on her lap. I was on my dad's lap and I have this little fat arm and he's in a little bow tie and he's holding onto my arm and looking at the camera like you better not. You know, he seems so so concerned. You know, he was about two years old.
Speaker 1: Can we get the look?
Speaker 4: I was worried. I had this. It's just like, what is going on? And I hold on because I was worried.
Speaker 2: I don't know what they're gonna do to my sister. But that that picture epitomizes our relationship. He has always been my quiet protector, just and that sweet little face. You know, he is the ultimate big brother. And he's been by my side holding my arm like that for my entire life.
Speaker 1: Wow, I love that. And do you actually remember do you remember the moment or it's the picture that you remember that's.
Speaker 4: Just like yours.
Speaker 3: It's the picture I don't know, and I remember back to when I was three and four some things, but that when I don't. But when I see the picture, it just warms my heart every time I see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. I mean sibling relationships. As I said in mine as well, My sister and I are so close. Yeah, and we haven't lived in the same country for nine years now, but we talk and stay in touch and we're constantly connected, and I wanted to stop asking you this question for both of you. That I feel like the first time and my sister got close is when I shared a secret with her, and I was wondering, what was the first secret that you ever told each other, as early as it was, as silly as it was, that you remember sharing something in confidence in the beginning, early days of your relationship.
Speaker 3: Okay, now you did this to me when you came on our show. That is a question I've never been asked.
Speaker 4: I love it. I love it. You got me back, you got me back? Okay. A secret, A secret?
Speaker 2: I don't know if it was a secret, but it was a what felt like a secret practice of ours. We shared a room for most of our lives, and there came a point in time when our parents, because we didn't have a lot of money, thought it's time for them to have their own rooms. So they took this one big room our grandfather's south Side, who was a Jackla carpenter, built plywood a plywood tea wall that went down the middle of this one bedroom and broke the room into two little units that were big enough for a twin bed and a desk and one of those accordion doors, right, that was those were our rooms.
Speaker 3: And it was that that old paneling look, so it was it was that fake wood that.
Speaker 2: Was, and the and the ceiling didn't go all the way to the top of the roof, and there was a little crack in between the rooms by the window sill. And when we were supposed to be in bed, we would spend that whole night just talking in between the walls. Right, we were supposed to be asleep, but go, Mesh, Mesh, are you awake. I'd be like, no, And then we'd have some deep conversation about life. And you know, every now my mom mom would yell, go to bed, you're supposed to be asleep, and we giggle and we just keep talking. So I think we shared the secret of not going to bed but having our own little breakdown of the day. I don't even remember what we talked about, but we were always supposed to be talking, but we were constantly talking. So I can't think of a secret.
Speaker 4: So I can think of a secret.
Speaker 3: Okay, So this is the discovery of Santa Claus.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, that's a good one.
Speaker 3: So we Jay. As you know, we lived in a two family home. We lived on the top floor, very small apartment. Our great aunt Robbie and uncle of Terry lived downstairs.
Speaker 4: And in our basement, which wasn't finished.
Speaker 3: It was a concrete basement, pillars, washing machine, furnace of storage room. But then there was a table that was like a workbench, and a refrigerator that didn't work or it wasn't plugged in.
Speaker 2: It was a refrigerator, old time refrigerator. And we used to go down there and play.
Speaker 3: We played hockey, we'd ride our bikes, we'd do all kinds of stuff. And Mesh was down there once by herself and came running upstairs.
Speaker 4: Great Greg, come here, come here, come here, and she took me downstairs.
Speaker 3: She opens up the refrigerator and there are two empty boxes for boxing gloves.
Speaker 4: Now this is June or July.
Speaker 2: Yeah, little kids boxing gloves.
Speaker 3: We got boxing gloves for Christmas the year before. Oh okay, so, and she deduced.
Speaker 2: The gloves are here. Santa wouldn't leave gloves.
Speaker 3: Gloveboxes gloveboxes because our mom didn't wrap the presence. She set them under the tree as if Santa had just brought toys and didn't wrap them, and I remember me.
Speaker 4: Saying, Mom and Dad are Santa Claus.
Speaker 2: But then the secret was we weren't gonna tell them that we knew, because first of all, we didn't want to deploy disappointment. Yeah, because it's like what a blunder, right, So we sort of kept it to ourselves that for a good year or two we knew there wasn't a Santa Claus.
Speaker 4: Along, we played along. That's so funny. It's like living a love. That's really And do your parents know that the story? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were mad at our aunt Robbie. My mom was particular because she was, like, I told her not to keep those glove boxes. She was supposed to throw those. My mom was furious because my mom was Christmas very seriously. I mean, she decorated the house, She created a chimney where there wasn't one. She was very crafty. She she really took great joy in keeping this Santa Claus myth alive. And the fact that our aunt Robbie spoiled it for us sooner than she was ready to, she was not happy. Yeah, they didn't have kids and didn't really appreciate it. And she cared more about saving a couple of boxes than you know, keeping the magic of Christmas alive.
Speaker 1: Oh that's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a good one. That's why it's good to have him here, because I wouldn't have remembered that.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what's so beautiful about this, this relationship. And it's interesting you both said, because we did the same thing. So me and my sister shared a room as well, and it's so interesting to hear about. I talked to a lot of siblings and some are not close to each other and some are very close to each other. And you see that pattern in people who shared a room, who talked about something every night connected. And that's how I think me and my sister got used to talking to each other, because that's who you dissected the day with exactly. Even if it wasn't very deep and profound.
Speaker 2: At the time, we were stuck with each other, for better for worse.
Speaker 1: I love that what was what would you say, was something that you felt, a value that you learned at that early stage in your life that you both feel you've kept till today, like something that continue to be a part of who you are today.
Speaker 3: My mom wanted us to be independent children. And she would always tell me, stop worrying about your sister, because whenever I did something, I wanted to include her. If I was going outside and she was outside, I felt like I had to keep an eye on her. I felt like I had to protect her, and my mom always said to not do that.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 3: First of all, she didn't want Mesh to have to feel like she was being looked after by her brother. That's what her parents were for, and she didn't want me to have to worry about her. But I will say that I couldn't stop worrying about her. So I have been looking after her from the time she was a little kid and I was holding her arm. We ended up in college together at Princeton. And remember when we drove move to South Carolina.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, We rented a car for spring break.
Speaker 4: For spring break and drove to South Carolina.
Speaker 2: And visit our grandparents.
Speaker 3: They had moved down there from Chicago, and we thought we'd surprise them and the two of us were going to drive, but I was so worried about her driving that I tried to drive the entire way by myself.
Speaker 4: And you know, six hours later.
Speaker 2: He's starting to blink like I'm like, are you okay? I got it? I got it, And I was like, you know, I can drive.
Speaker 3: She's very capable and a very good driver. But I was, you know, me and mister worry war. So finally I had to just take care.
Speaker 2: I just have to go to sleep. I was like, we'll pull over. I can do this. I drove us the rest of.
Speaker 4: The way the way, but at every fifteen minutes after I fall asleep, I'd be like, oh yeah, yeah, it's like, are you okay?
Speaker 2: It's fine. Well for me, the value, it's the value of family. It's the value of the no one you can count on more than you know, your your siblings and your mom and your dad. And I feel for people who were raised with sibling turmoil, you know, or turmoil in their household where they didn't feel safe at home. And that was never the case. We felt poor, you know, we felt like we didn't always get the stuff that we wanted. But we always felt and it wasn't just our nuclear family. We grew up in a big community of family, were fortunate enough to be raised with all four of our grandparents. They all lived within a couple of mile radius of us. Even though our maternal grandparents were separated, they lived in separate households around the corner from each other, Wow, which was around the corner from us cousins and uncles and aunts, and when times were down, people would share homes. I remember when we were little in Southside, our mother's father, who lived with a couple of her sisters, their house burned down, their apartment did, and I remember being really little, and there was a discussion, or how are we going to help people out until they found a new place to live. And so two of our aunts, Carolyn, and there was someone else, stayed in our little apartment and she worked nights, but she slept in my bed and I didn't even really know it because she would come in and just push me over and sleep in bed with me, which was next to Craig's bed. It was just this, when family's in trouble, you step up. And I think to this day, throughout all our travels travails being in the White House, we retained that no matter what was going on in his life or mine, we had some rituals, you know. We did Thanksgiving together. His family came to the Easter egg role. My niece and nephew, his oldest kids. Whenever we had an interesting trip in the summer, Avery and Leslie always came with us, so it wasn't just me, Malia and Sasha on Bright Star the first Lady's plane, seeing Nelson Mandela, or going on Safari or going to see going to Rome, but averyan Leslie came with us, So it just made the whole experience feel like we weren't on some island just doing this really hard thing, but we were still doing it as a family. So family values, I think, is probably one of the strongest things we took away and we made it happen in that little house on seventy fourth in Euclid. It was just brimming with love and conversation and trust.
Speaker 1: I couldn't be more excited to share something truly special with all you TA lovers out there. And even if you don't love tea, if you love refreshing, rejuvenating, refueling odors that are good for you, listen to this RADI and I poured our hearts into creating juny sparkling tea with adaptogens for you because we believe in nurturing your body, and with every sip you'll experience calmness of mind, a refreshing vitality, and a burst of brightness to your day. Juni is infused with adaptogens that are amazing natural substances that act like superheroes for your body to help you adapt to stress and find balance in your busy life. Our super five blend of these powerful ingredients include green tea, ushwaganda, Acirolla cherry, and Lion's Made mushroom and these may help boost your metabolism, give you a natural kick of caffeine, combat stress, pack your body with antioxidants and stimulate brain function even better. Juni has zero sugar and only five calories per can. We believe in nurturing and energizing your body while enjoying a truly delicious and refreshing drink. So visit drink Juni dot com today to elevate your wellness journey and use code on Purpose to receive fifteen percent of your first order. That's drink jay Ni dot com and make sure you use the code on purpose. Yeah, I love that. I remember last time we were together, you were talking about just the kitchen table and just the gathering of minds and family and how important that is in Craig, I know your birthday is coming up too, like it.
Speaker 4: Is thank you day, thanks for remembering twenty first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, twenty first birthday. But were birthday is a big part of connecting over the years as well or as not not been, because that for my sister is like the biggest day. She's like, my birthday is really important. Do not miss my birthday, like I know.
Speaker 3: Well, we never missed birthdays, and we always celebrated birthdays, but they weren't a big deal like where we had a party, Like I think you had one or two birthday parties.
Speaker 2: And this is the tripped out thing about this generation, Like kids have parties every year and multiple parties. They're blowout. You know, it's a birthday month and you're renting something and you're catering, and you know, I've been like our generation, you had maybe thirteen maybe five years old, you had two parties and they were at your house in the kitchen table, right, you know, with your cousins and.
Speaker 3: You played pin the tail on the donkey in the yard or somewhere like that. But but as a family, we celebrated everybody's birthday and it was a big deal. Every now and then that community of relatives that were around us would come over and it didn't matter what the day. If it was Thursday and everybody had to go to work on Friday, they would come over and sing Happy Birthday, gift cards out. Birthdays were always celebrated in our family.
Speaker 2: They weren't like big like see me, bring me gifts, but it was a time to gather. And we're talking about the extended family. So my mother had said brothers and sisters, and then the cousins and then our grandfather. We were always at Southsides house for these birthdays because that's the side of the family that did it. Every There was a dinner and cards for every birthday for all those people, you know, so it's almost like every weekend we were celebrating somebody's birthday.
Speaker 1: That's what's been something that you've an idea that you've had to unlearn since you were younger, something that you've kind of had to let go of as time has gone on. Something that was important before, but you're like, no, it's not so important.
Speaker 3: Talked about our grandfather's apartment being on fire. Fire back then in the seventies was a real thing, like houses caught on fire.
Speaker 2: People didn't have smoke, especially in working class, poor communities, you didn't.
Speaker 4: Have smoke detective detectors.
Speaker 2: So I think we knew several kids who's homes caught on fire.
Speaker 3: And I had to unlearn worrying about our house being on fire. I mean, I grew up completely obsessed with being able to recognize if the house was going to be on fire number one and then having the ability to get everyone out. And you know, our dad had MS, and so he walked with a limp from the time I could remember. He then had a cane, and then he had the crutches that went around his arm, and I would practice dragging him with his shoulder, with my arms under his shoulders around the house and he would I know it was humiliating, but he'd let me do it. And my mom would be like, Craig, put Fraser down, just stop doing that. And I went in to make sure I could drag him through the house. And we had like fourteen stairs down to get out. I didn't drag him down there, but I knew I could if I had to. That's something I had to unlearn because that was a real fear of mine. Was a fear of dying in a fire.
Speaker 4: Wow, Yeah, what did it take?
Speaker 3: Like, what was the Well, what it took was I realized it was irrational as I got older, because there were.
Speaker 4: Less house fires.
Speaker 3: And I guess it wasn't irrational because there were actually house fires. But the advent of smoke detectors and the advent of sort of inflam non inflammable.
Speaker 4: Or what is it, non and non flammable.
Speaker 3: Items around the house, I was always worried about a fire starting. And we had a fire start in our kitchen. You remember, we were cooking pop tarts, which were like.
Speaker 2: Saturday mornings, we kind of had the run of the kitchen because that was the day Mom would sleep in. And we had this old toaster and we were making fad tarts and it caught.
Speaker 3: Fire and came out, and the flame came up and then sure enough.
Speaker 2: Mom to the rescue.
Speaker 4: Mom came in and put it under the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But as you talk about fear, when I think about things that I think we had to subconsciously unlearn, was fear because you know, we grew up at a time and you know, just coming out of the deep segregation of Chicago. But our parents and grandpa parents grew up in it. You know, in a time when being black in the city, you know, you were isolated. There were areas of the city that you couldn't go into because you could be literally harmed killed as a black person. That was that was the truth of Chicago. As I noticed in my family, fear, the fear of what could happen to a black man, to a black person, kind of consumed some of our elders and stunted their growth. I mean Southside the grandparent that I talked about, he was kind of a mama's boy. You know, his mom our great grandmother, Mamma overprotected him and as a result, he never really got his own footing because he had a mom that was going to make sure you live at home. I'll take care of you. He also had limits as a black man because he was a carpenter who wasn't allowed to join the unions, couldn't afford to go to college. They were of the generation where even if you were smart and talented, the ceiling was real and the dangers were real. A lot of the reason our family was so close right was because the elders were keeping everybody close and they were slowly passing those fears on don't go down this street, don't go on this bus, maybe not take that job, don't try something new because it could kill you. I think our parents tried to actively unhook those those things from us by pushing us out. I think they knew that they had the tendency to suffocate their dreams because of these fears, to not try new things, to not draw outside of the lines. And I think they deliberately pushed us. So there were a lot of yes is in terms of experiences, exposures, Craig traveling on his AAU basketball league to other parts of the city, even you know, because in a city like Chicago, because of those fears, we had cousins that lived on the west side of the city. We lived on the south side of the city, in a neighborhood that was right along the lake near downtown Chicago. If you're a black kid growing up on the West side of Chicago, we met kids that had never been downtown. They had ever seen the lake. And if you've been to Chicago, to be from Chicago and never see the lake is a herculean effort. But you understand it when you're a black kid from the West Side and you viewed with suspicion. When you come downtown, you don't feel welcome outside of your neighborhood, so your world gets smaller and smaller. I think our parents did not want that smallness for us, and we saw how that smallness kept some really intelligent people in our lives in one spot. You know. They didn't move, they didn't grow, they didn't try new things. I had an aunt, my mother's youngest sister, who recently passed this year, who never came to the White House, and all the years that we were there, she never came. Why because she was afraid of flying, she was afraid of driving too long, She was afraid of doing anything but leaving her house and going to work and coming home. We saw that here, right, We saw that, and you have to actively tell yourself a different set of messages about what you can expect from the world. And we also could have been limited by that because while it physically limited some of our relatives, some of our grandparents' perspectives, like many people in this country, they were backwards thinking, you know, their views of white people and who they could trust. You know, the same south Side never went to the doctor because he didn't trust doctors, so he you know, he never went to the dentist. That's probably why he died in his seventies. He didn't have a tooth in his head, but he would never go to the dentist, you know. And we would talk about these things around our immediate kitchen table because our parents wanted us to learn from the mistakes that they had made and others. And that was the power of that householders. Our parents talk to us very openly and honestly about some of the weird things you'd see at Christmas dinner or some of the conversations, and you'd come back and go, well, why did Dandy, our other grandfather say that, Why did he yell about that? What was he talking about? We were always allowed to question and that fear element and the limitations on people's views of the world we would see and discuss and we were told, you have to do better than that. You have to live beyond that fear. You have to push yourself outside of your comfort zone. And I continue to try to do that, instill that in my kids and other kids to this day.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's such a profound thing to reflect on when thinking about what on Leine, because it's so as you said, it wasn't both of you us, but especially this is something that isn't going to change based on a mindset because it exists. Yeah, in reality, did either of you ever have any close calls or run ins that, oh yeah, that you would like to share?
Speaker 4: For all.
Speaker 2: You were got tenure, I was.
Speaker 3: I was probably more like twelve because I could ride to Rainbow Beach, so figure out.
Speaker 4: Seventh grade ish a department store near.
Speaker 3: Our house called Goldblatz had a sail on ten speed bikes to kind with the handlebars that go under that was brand new back then. They were yellow and they sold a ton of them, and you got one.
Speaker 2: I got one to give your first ten speed bikes.
Speaker 3: And it had to I must have gotten it for my birthday, so it was probably around this time of the year. But it didn't come with the clamps to hold the cables along the yoke. So my mom used these twist ties that she got from the baggies that you would put stuff in before you had the zip lock. You had these bags and then you put these green and white twist twisty ties on it. So she put them on my bike. And there is a point to this, I'm wondering what it is. So so I'm riding my bike by myself down seventy fifth Street, which if you head east you run right into Lake Michigan. And I'm almost there and a policeman comes up to me while I'm riding and I'm on the sidewalk and he's in the street, turns his lights on, tells me to pull over, and I stop, and I was like, officer, how can I help because I'm always happy to see a policeman. My uncle's a policeman, and you know, officer friendly in school. And he said, where'd you get that bike? And I said, oh, I got it for my birthday. I just got it. I mean, take a look at I was proud of it. I was like, this is my new ten speed bike. He said, you stole that bike. Now, this was a black police officer, and I was like, no, no, and it was it was so out of the realm of my mind to be accused of stealing a bike. I wasn't even worried at first. I just said, no, no, listen, you got it all wrong. This is a brand new bike that I got. And he was like, I know, you stole that bike. And he was basing it on the fact that someone who had bought a similar bike had it stolen and their mom used twist ties to put them on the cables.
Speaker 4: So he wouldn't believe me. And so now I'm getting worried.
Speaker 3: And he picks up my bike and puts it in the trunk of the car, puts me in the back of the car and says, where do you live?
Speaker 4: And I said, I told him where I lived, and he drove. I said, you'll realize this is my bike.
Speaker 3: We can go right to my mom's, right to my house. So we pull up to my house and by this time I'm in tears. I'm just beside myself. I ring the doorbell, and my mom was worried because she knew I was gone for her long bike ride. She comes out and I said, the policeman has accused me of stealing this bike, and I'm in tears. He comes out and she said, wait inside. And I'm on our front porch looking out, or actually I'm upstairs looking down because we lived upstairs. I'm looking down and I see her and I can tell she is pissed, and she is talking to him like she would talk to us if we were in trouble, and all I can see is the policeman trying to defend himself. So after about twenty minutes, she yells up to the window, Craig, come down here, and she said, this policeman has something to say to you.
Speaker 4: And this dude took.
Speaker 3: Off his hat and apologized for accusing me of stealing his bike.
Speaker 4: And as it turned out, they ended up finding the guy.
Speaker 3: But it was you know, that's kind of the collateral damage of being a young black kid.
Speaker 2: I just think about all, you know, what would have happened if my mom wasn't a stay at home mom. What if she had been in work when that happened. What if, you know, he didn't have a mom that you know would stand up for him, What what if? What are all the what ifs that that could have happened, And that, you know is you imagine you're just having a regular day and your son is pulled up to your house in the back of a police car at ten years old, at ten twelve years old.
Speaker 4: It was it was frightening.
Speaker 2: It was fright you know, And I think what she was incredulous was about was that he wasn't even inclined to believe this little boy, who was obviously articulate, didn't look you know, you don't even want to say didn't look like some little hood rat, because what does that matter? Right, But that was you know that that was unusual for us because we were good kids, I mean, and we lived in a neighborhood where their kids were getting into trouble all the time. And he knew all the kids because he was a basketball player. He knew the game kids and the drug dealers and the but everybody also knew him, you know. And you know, when you grow up in a neighborhood, people know the kids that are heading in the wrong direction and the kids who have promised. Everybody knew that Craig was a good student, he was a good guy, and the notion and I felt the anger too, It's like, how dare you do that to my brother? But he you know, he had a support system. He could have wound up in jail for stealing not stealing a bike. So yeah, that kind of stuff happened all the time, you know, walking into a department store as a young kid and having the the you know, salespeople wonder why you're there, and you're coming, you're an honor student coming from high school, you know, having lunch with your friends. I mean, they don't they didn't see that part. There were times when that part of us couldn't be We couldn't walk around saying valedictorian straight. A student, you know, speaks excellent, has excellent diction if you give them a chance. You know, we knew very early on that that no one was going to see beyond the color of our skin at an early age, and that could get you in trouble.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, when you talk about that fear, I'm sure that fear has been tested across your life in so many different places, and I wonder what would you say has been the most hardest recent test of that fear, Because it's not one of those fears that you kind of get over in it just goes away. It kind of shows its head in many different ways. I imagine.
Speaker 2: Well, in this current climate, for me, it's you know, what's happening to immigrants, you know, So it's it's not the fear for myself anymore. I drive around in a four car motorcade with a police escort. I'm Michelle Obama. I do still worry about my daughters in the world, even though they are somewhat recognized. So my fears are for what I know is happening out there in streets all over the city. And now that we have leadership that is sort of indiscriminately determining who belongs and who doesn't, and we know that those decisions aren't being made with courts and with due process, and you know that it's being made like this cop that pulled my brother over when he was twelve. You don't look like somebody that belongs. You know, I can determine just by looking at you that you're you know, you're a good person, or you're not a good person. And knowing that there's so much bias and so much racism and so much ignorance that fuels those kind of choices, I worry for people of color all over this country, and I don't know that we will have the advocates to protect everybody. And that makes me, that frightens me. It keeps me up at night, and I know that there are and I see that when I'm driving around LA I'm just looking in the faces of folks who could be victim, and I'm wondering how are you feeling? How do you feel standing on the bus stop? Do you how do you feel comfortable going to work, going to school when you know that there could be people out here judging you and who could up end your life in a second. You know that that's who I worry for right now?
Speaker 1: What do you both do with that fear? Because I think that's very real and a lot of people listening probably feel very similarly to both of you as well. What do you do with it? Because it almost feels overwhelming, and especially for someone going through it as you're talking about with your daughters too, it's not something that you rationalize, and you know it's not the same as so many other fears, So what do you do with it?
Speaker 3: See, I still have a couple of young kids at home, so I've got a fifteen year old and a thirty old, So I'm still in the education process for those guys. Because we you know, we live in a suburb and we have a relatively safe environment, so our kids aren't growing up with that kind.
Speaker 4: Of fear that we had.
Speaker 3: But I have to make them aware of it because at some point they're going to be away from us and they're going to be in a place where they're going to encounter that. I'm trying to be as empathetic as I can, because that's how we were taught to deal with this kind of behavior. Our mom always said, just put yourself in the other guy's shoes. He's probably had a bad upbringing, an ignorant upbringing. His folks didn't know anything, and that's how I always view people who treated me with disdain because of my race, or because of where.
Speaker 4: I'm from or anything.
Speaker 3: And I'm trying to help my even my older kids who are thirty three and twenty nine, they're pretty much formed and are handling things on their own. But it's a good reminder to talk about this and put some coping strategies together for especially our teenagers, because they're going to they're going to encounter this at some point.
Speaker 2: I have to practice reverse messaging in my own head about this stuff, because you can get locked in the disappointments of what is happening right now, and you can sit in it and let that eat you up, and it can taint your view of so much. Having been the first lady of the entire country and representing the country in the world, I couldn't afford to have that kind of disdain. You know, I had to remind myself and put myself in situation that reminded me the ideals and beliefs that I disagree with are not pervasive that you know, there are a lot of good people out there. Again employing empathy, but also reminding myself of the truth of what I've seen and I've experienced that We're in a confusing time, but it doesn't help me and it doesn't help the country for me to grow cynical in that space. So I kind of view it as it's a duty as a citizen to not do the same thing that they're doing and start making assumptions about people based on my anger and fear. You know that I have to assume that most people are trying to do the right thing, that deep down inside, the vast majority of us do not want to see our neighbors and our friends and relatives live in fear. They just don't understand what it feels like to be the target. But if they knew, they would understand, which is why communication and conversation is so important, because maybe if I can tell a story, you know, if I can if I can help them be in the shoes of someone and that it can have that same empathizing effect that I'd rather use that rather than become to become discouraged and then suspicious and just be the you know, just do what they're doing. I don't want to become that. So it's a constant reminder, do not slip in to that behavior yourself.
Speaker 1: I love that. I think that's such optimistic, hopeful, powerful mindset. And you're so right, because if we all become cynical and skeptical and negative, it only makes it worse for us and worse for everyone around us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me tell you I can. I can, and I can be cynical, and I can be all of that. And I don't want to set myself because in these times it's hard. No one is perfect. But I try to keep that to my kitchen table, you know. I mean, I feel like when you have a platform and you have a voice, there is a responsibility to use that wisely. So yes, I yes, even I in going high, there are times I want to go low and I need to let that out. But I'm never going to let that out in public because that's not even fully truly, how I feel, you know, so just for our listeners and viewers, it's like, yes, of course we all feel it. It's just a question of how do we act on it.
Speaker 3: And you hear this, This is why we're doing imo, yes, right, It's just to be able to take the lessons we've learned and the experiences that we've gone through, and hers being at the level of the White House and mine being what they are sort of I'm still the regular guy in the family. We're hoping that we can share some of these with folks and learn some things from the people that we have on Like you, just listening to her do that, this is the most fun I am having, other than hanging with my kids and my family. I just get goosebumps when when you hear some good wisdom.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean that totally, like you know it just it was just such a refreshing take on what I was saying, was is a valid concern, is a natural feeling that people are having. But to flip the script in our own minds as to how we deal with it and that constant battle that we have to have with the thoughts in our head. And I love what you're doing with im I mean, I was so grateful to be a guest on the show and to visit you both in Martha's Vineyard, which was last year.
Speaker 4: I think it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And first of all, I'm just so grateful when I see doing it with families just special because already you're seeing sides of each other that you never see elsewhere, so you can tell how authentic and real it is and true it is, which is so beautiful. And on top of that, what I love about it the most is that I feel the fact that you're doing a podcast, which is the most accessible platform where you're giving I mean, you know, when we were on like questions coming in from the audience that we were tackling together trying to hear from both of your experiences. And by the way, Craig, you're saying that you you know, the normal, regular person and the family, I mean, like you know, everyone has a regular life. You know, it's amazing to hear it from both of your sides. And the fact that you're opening up, even just the way you did now about these real life experiences that you've both had, I think it's so needed because I think the challenge is that when people do have success as both of you have had, and the incredible heights of success that you've had, you forget that. So someone was once scared that they were told they were stealing a bike, or you know, that they were scared about going down this particular street in their neighborhood. And that's where so many people start out. And it's not saying that everyone has to go and achieve things externally in the world to get out of that, but these are real emotions. And I think what you were saying to me that resonated just now, Michelle, was this idea that you've had to push yourself out of that comfort zone and your parents wanted you to not have that. What amazing parenting? Yeah, I mean, what phenomenal parenting when you have every reason to scare your kids into a corner, but you actually use it to expand their vision up to the whole world.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's we were blessed, Jay, and the older we get, the further down life's path we go as we parent and parent young kids and adult kids, we've come to appreciate how rare our parents' perspectives were for or anyone, let alone for people in their circumstances. Which is another thing reason why it's like, well, let's create a bigger kitchen table. I mean, with the loss of our mom this year, that was also a big impetus to do this podcast, because the wisdom that she gave us, it lives in us and as people who were raised to be givers and to be mentors and to gain joy from that mentorship. Truly, that's sort of a shared attribute in both of us being able to take that wisdom and I don't want to spread it to the world, but to just let other people benefit from the little nuggets of wisdom that our parents laid out in that kitchen table, It's like, why not share it? You know, the power of good parenting is too often underestimated, and I think our parents came into parenting with a philosophy like philosophy, and when you think of how most people think of parenting, they just think, I want to have a baby, And that's where it begins. It ends, I want to have a baby. But then the question is, well, why why do you want to have a baby. Do you want to have a baby because you're lonely, that's not gonna work out. Well, do you want to have a baby to create a mini me to continue on some aspect of yourself that you didn't achieve. Oof, that's going to be a messy kind of situation. Are you lonely and you want a companion? Do you want a friend? I mean, if we actually sit down and piece that stuff apart before we have kids, because parenting is a hard thing. I think our parents, or at least our mother for sure, she wanted parents because she felt the importance of raising independent, kind, compassionate people adults, Like she always said, I'm not raising babies, I'm raising adults. And that completely shifts your approach as to how you parent if you're not like just trying to raise a friend. Because let me tell you, if you want a friend, you never want your friend to be mad at you, right. You want your friend to like you. And if you're a parent and you're worried about whether your kid likes you, I guarantee you you are screwing them up, right, because so much of parenting means that you have to suffer through them gritting under their teeth of ooh oh, mommy, make me so mad? Why don't you ever? You know? And it's like you can have those feelings you know. But as my girls say that, their favorite phrase of mind is I'm not one of your little friends. It's like, you don't have to like me. I've got my own friends. So you can don't slam your door. You can go in your room, you can say whatever you want, but you better not let me hear it. And when you come out, you still have to do it because I am not raising you to be my friend. I'm raising you to be a human, responsible adult in the world. And that's how our mother raised us. And I always say, if everybody took that to heart before they had kids, and they treat it parenting in that way, that would solve a lot of the mess we're trying to deal with right now. If parents just approached the job like this is the biggest, most important thing that I'm doing, and it isn't about me. It is about who this little human is going to be and how they're going to enter the world and are they going to be empathetic? Are they going to be responsible? Are they going to be an asshole out here? And you start doing that when they're two and three and for all of that work, is it starts that early? That's you know, if I think of a mission for myself right now. Today, it's really like having us all rethink the way we are building the next generation and what our duties and our responsibilities are, what we're getting right and what we haven't been getting right, and how do we self correct. I'm really like on one for just that thing, because we're not going to be able to count on the government, you know, I mean we're not right now. We're not investing in education, so we can't you know, we're not paying teachers enough. We're leaving this all on us. We're saying we don't want to pay taxes for any of this stuff, right, so we sure as hell better be good at taking care of our kids because now we're saying, well, then it's all on us and we can't afford to get it wrong.
Speaker 1: Mic Drop, that was like, that really hits hard. I mean, that resonates so strongly, and I feel, as I was listening to you, it's in one sense, and I want to ask you this about this parents. I'm not a parent yet, and partly it's because me and my wife have these discussions. We talk a lot about what our parenting philosophy is, and we've talked about it over the years that we've been together. We've been together now for twelve years and married for nine, and it's been a topic of conversation and there's been things we haven't agreed on. There's things we agree on, and we want to make sure that we have an aligned viewpoint, even if we have slight differences. We want to have an aligned viewpoint of because we want the kids to get a clear message. We don't want them to get Mom and dad have different viewpoints and they're you know, they're arguing about trying to figure it out, and it's hard. And I wanted to ask you about this parents to think, you know, you've both lived incredibly successful life. You went to the best schools in the country. You know, you went on to pivot and have an amazing career in your passion of basketball. Like to even be able to do that as a coach is incredible. Great right to be able to pivot, which I'm sure took sacrifice and stress, And I want to link it to parenting and of course Michelle going to the White House raising kids while you're at the White House, leaving them continuing, how did you put parenting as a priority despite prioritizing your passion, prioritizing the country and service, prioritizing your own marriages. Like I feel like there's so much pressure on parents. We just said, we can't rely on school, we can't rely on the government, can't realize So that means it's all in this person. How does a parent take that pressure in a way that uplifts them and allows them to pursue their greatness too, rather than feel completely paralyzed by it.
Speaker 3: The first thing that comes to my mind is that, as Meche said, we were so blessed to have such good parents. I feel obligated to be a great parent as a tribute to my own parents.
Speaker 2: Well, you also know what a great parent looks like.
Speaker 3: I do know what a great parent looks like. But I also am so thankful for the sacrifices that they made so that we could thrive.
Speaker 4: And it makes sense.
Speaker 3: And irrespective of whatever my passion is, which is basketball or coaching or mentoring, the first responsibility I have are to the four kids that I brought into this world. And that's an easy one jay for me to do. So if I had to sacrifice my passion for my kids, I would have Fortunately, coaching is a terrific environment to raise kids because you're around other young people, and it really is like having fifteen kids instead of just four. I would say there is a discipline that comes with it, and you talked about this being aligned. We call it united front in our house. No matter what we're thinking, we are going to come to an agreement when it comes to all right, let's give some advice to this kids.
Speaker 4: This is the advice.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it's what Kelly wants and sometimes it's what I.
Speaker 4: Want my wife Kelly.
Speaker 3: So there's a coordinated communication, there's discipline, and then most of all, and I think I hear the word me time and parents of these young parents. You know, my parents never talked about me time. Their me time was our time. And I know from a mental health standpoint, we all need to get away and be on our own. But I would do that after I made sure my kids were solidly on good footing, before I was worried about I need a vacation with my boys to go to Vegas. And I just saw my dad and you talked to about it. He was a shift worker for the City of Chicago, but he made time no matter what shift he was on to attend our events, to play with us when he got home, no matter how tired.
Speaker 4: He was, he made us the priority.
Speaker 3: So it's not hard work for It doesn't feel like it's hard work for me and for us. We just had really good role models and we were well coached in parenting.
Speaker 2: Well, when you think of talk about the pressure, I do think that these days parents feel a lot of pressure. But we're like taking on the wrong pressure. Like we feel responsible for our kids' happiness and success, right, so we put a lot of pressure on making sure they achieve, like making sure they don't fail, making sure they don't feel bad or they don't experience disc appointments. So a lot of that emotional energy we're taking on is in my view, it's misdirected and it takes a lot of energy. If you think that you're responsible for your kids to happiness right, and it's it's a whole lot of energy if you think your kids should always be happy. I mean that's a current parenting generational angst. Like no generations before us, you know, cared about whether their kids were happy, let alone being responsible for your happiness or that you should be happy all the time. It feels like that's a new phenomenon, right, you know. I mean we just think of all the work that we do to keep our kids busy and you know, engage, and we sign them up for this and sign them up for that, and you know, we're taking them here and we're taking them there instead of just going go. Maybe you're going to be bored today. You know, what are we doing on Saturday? Mom? When I was growing up, the answer was nothing, you know, and my mother went on with her day. You know, we're kind of taking on a lot of that. My mom always said that I am going to help you own your life as early as possible, so you know, so that it's not my life. It's not my failure, it's not my homework, it's not my going to school, it's yours. And when you start giving your kids their lives early, which means you got to let go, there's a worry in that. But if you start letting go, it's like you got to wake yourself up. You gotta make your bed, you gotta wash your plate, you can get to school, you can figure it out. You got to figure it out. And I think these days parents don't want to. They don't want that process of watching their kids figure it out. And I get it. It is hard to watch the person that you love literally walk into a wall that you see, you know, because our instinct as parents go besweety, no, no, no, you were walking right into a wall. Let me stop you and sit you here and be safe with me. Now I feel better, right, And the truth is is that sometimes, at least I've learned with my kids, they have to walk into that wall, they have to bump their head hard, and it hurts me to see it. But I found that they learn faster that way than me keeping them from bumping their heads, and there's a release with that. It's like it's a different kind of difficult thing that you're dealing with, right, You're dealing with your own emotions and watching somebody that you care about go through tough stuff. But there's no other way to get them to be independent other than dealing with that pain. Right. And I always say, as I told Barack, I was like, you know, we either do this stuff early and deal with it, have these hard kind of conversations, deal with these mistakes and failures when they're ten and five and thirteen. Then rather than having them live in our basement at thirty five for the rest of their lives. It's like, I don't want a kid in my basement. So I've been Our parents parented us not to be in their basement. You pay your bills, you handle your business. That's our model. Are you handling your business? That's a certain kind of parenting. But if you make that investment early, you know, if you do the hard things, if you make your kids sleep in their bed, if you tell them no when they're five, if you teach them boundaries and don't let them talk back and help them be socialized beings by setting forth some real hard to manage boundaries at three and four and five, you're not even dealing with a lot of these issues at sixteen because they've practiced something else in your presence. And so now sixteen twenty, our girls are All of our kids are joys to be with. They all live on their own. Our kids have an Obama tax that we will continue to pay just to cost on their life that is not their own. So there's certain places that they cannot live, where they can afford to live. There's certain things like that. But all of our kids, they don't want our help because they get gratification in saying they did this, and that comes down to choosing the college that they're going to go to. I may not agree with you, it happened. It's like, I don't think you're gonna like that school, but it's got to be your choice. You know, I don't think you're going to like that girlfriend, it's got to be your choice. I gotta look the other way. I gotta and then I've got to be there with you after you make that mistake, going it's okay, let's talk about it, you learn, let's you know. But I my mother was staying out of our lives very early in our lives, and I think that's something that makes parenting easy in one way but emotionally difficult in another way.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and I really really appreciate the clarification of reprioritizing that pressure, because the pressure we're placing, as you said, on the winning, the succeeding, the it's almost misplaced. There's a distinction that I'm hearing from both of you in coddling an individual and cultivating independence. And when we think of more love or more support, we think fix solve control is done right. That's what we think love is. We think love means you have no problems. We took care of everything, and we're here for everything that you need. And actually, what we've realized is love is setting someone up to carry themselves exactly and fix themselves instead of themselves.
Speaker 2: And feeling the confidence in being able to do that. They competence is love too. And you know, I always want my kids to know that I do trust that you have good sense. I do you can do this, Watch you do it, and just see how kids light up when they accomplish something on their own. And when you're if you're the fixer, you're robbing your kids of that sense of self satisfaction. I fail, It hurt, but it was me. But when I succeed, it's also me and sometimes you know it's parents. We want that victory.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I was going to say.
Speaker 3: Mish does a good job talking about how people don't like friction, and sometimes you need friction as a parent, especially those who are doing the coddle. They're doing that for themselves. You are not helping your kid by doing it, because parenting this way is hard and it causes friction in your inside. When we say okay, you can take your scooter to the store and go pick up some stuff and bring it back.
Speaker 4: That's hard.
Speaker 3: It would have been easy for me to take you to the store and make sure you got back in the car. And nothing made me feel better about doing this kind of stuff was when I found out that our parents were deathly afraid of us traveling on our own. Mish had an opportunity to go to France. I played bitty basketball, and there was a trip to Kansas City and to New Orleans, and we came to find out later that our parents were fearful of us going on these but they we talked about the same reasons we talked about, but they did it anyway because they knew it was important for our development. And I just thinking about the adjita in their stomachs, ex when they're letting go of you.
Speaker 4: Know, your kids are leaving town and doing things they never did.
Speaker 2: They never did, They never got to travel when they were young. They didn't have the resources, they didn't go to college, they didn't go off their block, out of their neighborhoods. You know, So imagine the fear of sending your kids to do something going out Princeton, you know, the day they let him leave to go to some school in some place where they knew nothing about the rituals, the prestige, you know, the kind of confidence in your parenting philosophy that it would take to execute that. When we were growing up in a community where people's parents wouldn't even fill out their fasciforms because they were afraid of their kids going to college. So they held on to their kids. They said, go to the state school down the street because it will make me, deep down, it will make me feel better because I don't don't want to let you go. Don't go out of state, don't leave the home, don't go out of the neighborhood. A lot of parents parent out of fear, and it's fear for themselves. It's real fear, for sure, you know. Do not get me wrong. It is the hardest thing to do, which is what makes parenting so hard, which is why people really have to think before they bring kids into the world, because it's hard. It's hard in some really obvious reasons, and it's hard in some ways that you will never understand until that that little person is breathing in this world. How they will make you feel. You will love nothing more. So I understand it, but that's why we get a lot of it wrong because we're operating out of fear. Sometimes.
Speaker 1: We've talked a lot about the differences in how you were parented, how things have changed, and I feel like one of the biggest talking points of today for parents and children is therapy. Like therapy seems to be a conversation that's opened up that a previous generation either didn't have access to, didn't believe in, couldn't afford, didn't value, which some of those challenges still exist today with affordability and accessibility. But what have been your personal journeys with therapy as a form of working on your own self and then of course your children as well.
Speaker 3: I would say I was your typical guy when it came to therapy, and typical guy of color, because I wasn't exposed to therapy until I got to college and I found out that kids my age were going to therapy and I was like, well, what is going on in that head?
Speaker 4: Because I didn't understand it. Now you jump ahead.
Speaker 3: In my first marriage, that was when it hit, when it started to have trouble. We would go to couple's therapy and then I would go to therapy.
Speaker 4: On my own.
Speaker 3: And I really that my last statement about not knowing what therapy was and not doing it, I just did it in a different way. My therapy was the barbershop. It wasn't church for me because I wasn't a church goer. But for some people it's church. But for me, it is fellowship with my good friends that I can tell stuff to. But I wasn't a real therapy guy until I had trouble in my first marriage. But I'm happy to say that my two older children are regular therapy goers. And it just warms my heart because it wasn't like I said, you know, you guys should go to therapy.
Speaker 4: They just kind of did it on themselves. So I am a big believer in it.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure people have used this analogy before, but we tune up just about everything in our lives.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: We tune up our cars, we tune up our electronics, but we don't tune up our minds and our emotions.
Speaker 4: And we should. And I have to say that.
Speaker 3: You got into therapy, I think before I did, and that kind of opened my eyes to it too, even before I was having trouble in my marriage.
Speaker 4: So you can share share your experience.
Speaker 2: Now, I believe in all the therapies that Craig just outlined. I believe in the friendship therapy. I believe in the power of sharing your challenges with other people that you trust, and that can come in many forms, and it has for me. I am a talker and I think you know, our family was you know, our first therapy was the kitchen table right right, and our first therapists were our parents and our family members. Because you'd have an experience that you needed to it's something you needed to let off your chest, something you had to let go of. And we have parents that create did a safe space to speak openly and honestly. They didn't treat us like children at that table. They treated us like thinking beings. So it was very early on that we learned the power of our own thoughts and to trust our own emotions. And with something felt off, you know, we were encouraged as like, no, you're not crazy, you're seeing what you're seeing, and yeah, you're angry, that anger is real, but you can't show it this way.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: We were validated at our table, and that's what therapy is. It's a validation, and so very early on, I sought out the company of girlfriends, friends I could trust and that we could talk to and we could have that validation and present honestly. And as I said in my book The Light, you know, I cultivated those tables throughout my life. You know I had that those table. I needed that table in college when I was we were one of a few black kids on an all white Ivy League school campus. We needed a safe place to go, which might have been the Third World Center, right where minority students gathered. I found a mentor in an older administrator who was my confidant during those days, small mini sessions. Right then, when I got married and started having kids, I built this amazing community. We built together, this amazing community of moms parenting young, young kids and babies. And we started getting together every Saturday, taking our kids to all the activities, but sitting around, maybe opening a bottle of champagne and shedding our feelings and our fears and exchanging ideas. But I've also been to a formal therapist because, as Craig said, I think we need to be coached throughout our lives, and I think therapy is a form of coaching where somebody objective can come in and say, have you thought about this? Yes, this way, you're entering a new phase of life. How are you thinking about it? Having somebody that has a skill set to help you shape a paradigm. I fully believe in that. I believe in couples therapy. I believe I believe in it all. Whatever works for you. And at this you know, phase of my life, I'm in therapy right now because I'm transitioning. You know, I'm sixty years old. I've finished a really hard thing in my life with my family intact, I'm an empty nester. My girls are in you know, they've been launched. And now for the first time, as I've said before, every choice that I'm making is completely mine. I now don't have the excuse of, well, my kids need this, or my husband needs that, or the country needs that. So how do I think about this next phase? And let me get some help. Let me unwind some old habits, let me sort through some old guilt that I've been carrying around. Let me talk about how my relationship with my mother has affected how I think about things. So I'm getting that tune up for this next phase. Because I believe this is a whole nother phase in life for me, and I now have the wisdom to know let me let me go get some coaching while I'm doing it, so I've got other voices other than people the people who know me best. I've got a new person that's getting to know me and seeing me completely new and hearing all these emotions. I am an advocate of it. Everybody needs to find their form of it the best way they can. For some people, it's podcasts like ours, you know, that are providing people with that therapy. And it's one of the reasons why I'm excited about doing these things, coming on yours and developing IMO, because I hope that maybe for the people who are a little bit skeptical of it, that these forms become the place where they start at least getting some ideas, you know, and thinking wow, I never thought of it that way. I never saw it that way. And maybe they'll never go to therapy, but they come here for ninety minutes and they, you know, they find some answers for themselves. I firmly believe in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love what you were saying about needing them at transitions where shape shifting and molding, and it's almost like ever since someone graduates, if they went to college, it's like from that point on you just left to figure it out. And it's almost like they were these markers, Like when you went from elementary school to high school to college, there were markers, and there were transitions, and there were summers in between where you knew what was coming next. And then you become an adult and then now there's not really the well, there are the markers of get married, you have kids, you get to a career success or whatever it is, the kids leave, as you said, but there's no real transitionary summers anymore. There's not not everyone's talking to you about, hey, what's going on. And also there's less there's less formal training for those transitions that are so emotionally tough because you're you're almost grieving an identity you had, but then knowing there's a new version that exists, and that push and pull of do I stay or do I go in all of areas of your life. And I wonder, Michelle, from your perspective and then of course from yours as well, Craig, like and you mentioned their guilt, like I was like, what was the what is the guilt that you feel you you're having to learn to let go of or in the beautiful upbringing you had, like what were the things that you're like? But these are certain ideas that aren't serving us anymore or aren't helping to who.
Speaker 2: Much is given, much is expected. I feel incredibly blessed in this life, you know, And it's almost like knocking on wood. It's like, let me never take it for granted, let me always find ways of giving back. And so the guilt comes from am I doing enough? You know, which is a form of am I enough? Right? That's the guilt of feeling should I do this next thing? Should I say yes? When I say no, I mean because there's so many requests, there's so much you can possibly do in life that you could never stop. And I do hold guilt to tell somebody that is asking for help or need something to say I can't or I don't want to, you know, I need to even say those words. It's hard to I don't want to do that right now. It's like unpacking that right. So to say that too for me, Michelle Obama, to say that to a therapist, you know, I mean, my therapist is like, what you still think you haven't done it? And I was like, honestly, yeah, it's like so let's unpack that, right. So yeah, that's you know, that's probably what overachievers. We're all dealing with that in some way. Right, when's enough's enough? Where's the bar? Who sets it? We're setting it for ourselves, and we keep setting it so incredibly high right at all times, and then I'm thinking about, oh, what am I modeling for my girls? It's like at some point, you know, I used to say this to Rosalind Carter, you know, you the Carters. They were giving until they were you know, they couldn't walk, you know. And when I was in the White House, every year Rosalind Carter was set up a meeting, you know, because she want to talk to a set of issues and things she wanted to do and update me on everything.
Speaker 4: She was just she was just, she was she.
Speaker 2: They were those people constantly doing it. And I used to joke with her when she was in how must she have been when I'm in office? That requires math. So let's say she was in her early eighties or you know, she was an older woman who had done enough and I used to joke it's like, if you don't stop, because you're my bar, right, And I don't know that I want to be coming to the White House with an agenda list when I'm in my eighties, right. But then I realized it's like, well, that's her bar. That doesn't have to be my bar. What if my bar is different? And so now I'm practicing out some different bars for myself, right, some different limits, and seeing how I really feel in those limits rather than what I think I'm supposed to do. So you know, that's you know, it just makes me sigh just saying it, but that's how my brain works, and so sometimes you need help with right sizing your thinking.
Speaker 1: Thank you for sharing that being so open and vulnerable, because I know it takes a lot to be able to say what you're saying in therapy, to say it out loud, and I can see the emotion in your face that it's not you know, something you're grappling with, it's real. So you're working on it right now. And I hope that gives everyone who's listening. I know it will give everyone who's listening and watching courage to think, yeah, you know, like maybe I'm setting the boss too high for myself, you know whatever. That maybe or a different question, but thank you, Yeah, Craig.
Speaker 3: I'd love to No, no, no, that's I actually thought me she was going to touch on this a little earlier. But our mom whent and you've been so gracious to say nice things about us and our success and all the wonderful things that we've been able to do.
Speaker 4: Marian Robinson.
Speaker 3: Our mom used to say, my kids aren't any different from the kids they grew up with, and she is absolutely right. She would say, I was fortunate enough not to have to go to work, and we encourage them to work hard. They never said you had to get straight a's. They just said work hard, have high self esteem, you know, treat people nicely. But she always bragged on the kids who we grew up with, and kids around the globe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she would say, there are a million machiness.
Speaker 3: She would say that, and that's I take that to heart, and that's where my guilt is. I am fortunate to be sitting here talking to Jay Shetty in his studio about myself. It's just as it's almost embarrassing because I feel like my mom, like I grew up with a ton of guys who could have been bond traders, could have been easy, and they just had some different decisions and different parenting and different different bumps in the road that they couldn't handle.
Speaker 4: And I do feel guilty about that.
Speaker 2: Which survivors remorse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it explains my sort of wanting to be philanthropic with my time, my emotions, my stories, because they're but for the grace of God.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: And so she when when she would say that, I would it'd be like, what are you going to say? She's absolutely right? She is absolutely right, and she was. She led by example. So not only did she parent us, but she was up at the school parenting other people, helping. I remember when she taught this kid how to multiply, and she said, like a before there were room parents, she just came up and volunteered. And she was teaching this young kid who was in my grade, fourth grade, how to multiply and he just couldn't figure it out. And she said, multiplication is just adding multiple times and he was like, well, I can't figure this out, and she said, use your fingers, and he said, I don't want to use my fingers. I'm in fourth grade, I'm embarrassed to use my fingers, and my mom would.
Speaker 4: Say, well, then don't show anybody.
Speaker 3: Just put your hand on your desk and press down on your fingers.
Speaker 4: I was like, that's ingenious, that's ingenious.
Speaker 3: But she was sharing the kind of knowledge with others that we got that every day, every day when you know so, I feel a little bit of survivor's guilt when it comes to the opportunities that I've had in my life, because I do feel like she does that it could have been anybody.
Speaker 1: You've both been so gracious and generous with your time today. I could truly talk to you for another three hours, but I'm going to end with one last question for you each, well maybe two, maybe one. One one last question for you each. It would be for you to share with each other what you believe your mother would be most proud of, but of each other.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm gonna make him start so that I don't start crying.
Speaker 1: If you could say what your mother would be most proud about, Michelle, if she was here with us today.
Speaker 3: But if you can, there's so many things that my mom would be proud of. She would be proud of her as a parent. Well, another one of her greatest compliments was the fact that she never had to worry about her grandkids. That that warms both of our hearts because, as me said, you know, our older kids are off and running and not bounced back. And that made her felt feel like she taught us how to be good parents.
Speaker 2: And I think and it was the gift of allowing her to be just grandma.
Speaker 3: Just a cool grandma, because she didn't have to discipline, discipline.
Speaker 4: Or raise or yeah house.
Speaker 3: She could just come over and candy for everybody, jump on the couch and do whatever you want. And she really relished in that role. I think I think she would be proud of Mesh for that. I think she would be proud of how Miche has been able to have a colossal effect on so many people. And that is white House. Notwithstanding white House is gone. Look look at what she's doing now, I mean it is It is a massive, massive lift, uplift for so many people who don't get to to you know, be her sister, be her brother, or be her husband or or child. So I think those are two really good things. But most importantly, she would be very proud that she is a terrific wife because we all revered my father, all of us, my mom, the kids, all of our relatives. He was like the beacon in our family, and my mom was tough on him, but she loved him. And Mish reminds me of that with her relationship with Barack. Just because you the president of the United States doesn't mean you're getting off easy. My mom would like that, But then she would be like, he's got a lot of stuff going on. Don't be so hard on him, you know what I mean. It's just I think she would appreciate that.
Speaker 2: I like that. It's the good ones.
Speaker 4: I'm a podcaster now.
Speaker 1: Run this UF for.
Speaker 2: What sums it up is that Mom would be so proud of the fact that you're a good man in the world and that you have been a good father, fathering for a long long time and passing on the that's a dig because he's an old dad, right, this is still long, long, long time, but passing on the wisdom, you know, showing up in the world in a way that would make Dad proud, living out his his his view of what it means to be a man, and then sharing that with a lot of other men. I mean the fact that she would be proud of the fact that you walked away from a lucrative career in finance to help other young men figure out how they can be fast and strong but good too and build a life for themselves. That you've taken that same that that same wisdom and you find always to continue to multiply it to who much is given. She'd be proud of that, and that you're still here right by my side. I think that would make her proud.
Speaker 1: Thank you both so much. I am so grateful to welcome you to the world of podcasting. I hope everyone who's listening and watching goes and subscribes to IMO. You're going to get so much wisdom, so much insight from two of the smartest, brightest minds, but two people who have such sweet, soft hearts. And I love that combination that you both bring of being absolutely bold powerhouses, but in the times I've got to know you both and spend with you both, you also have the most beautiful hearts and that combination is unstoppable, and I am so excited to see what you both do in.
Speaker 4: This next season of your life.
Speaker 2: Thanks you are family, Yes, sir, Yes, we just have to meet your sister.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're going to drag her up. We're going to drag her up here.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Thanks man.
Speaker 1: If you enjoyed this podcast, you're going to love my conversation with Michelle Obama where she opens up on how to stay with your partner when they're changing, and the four check ins you should be doing in your relationship. We also talk about how to deal with relationships when they're under stressed. If you're going through something right now with your partner or someone you're seeing, this is the episode for you.
Speaker 2: No wonder our kids are struggling. We have a new technology and we've just taken it in hookline and Sinker, and we have to be mindful for our kids. They'll just be thumbing through this stuff. You know, their mind's never sleeping