Speaker 1: Welcome into the Official Jests Podcast.
Speaker 2: Dangling a stake in front of the lion and you ain't got no cage in between you. He gonna get to that state.
Speaker 3: So let's go inside the matchup.
Speaker 1: Motivated Aaron Rodgers, Is It Dangerous?
Speaker 4: Aaron Rodgers?
Speaker 1: Game Day and every day?
Speaker 3: Score a jewelry touchdown with Kendra Scott Shot Fashion and find jewelry fit for another winning season at your local store or at Kendrascott dot com.
Speaker 1: Shine Bright, Do Good with Kendra Scott Bart. The Jets are three and seven.
Speaker 3: We thought they had fouled momentum Thursday night against the Houston Texas, but it didn't carry over to the desert.
Speaker 1: What happened against the Cardinals.
Speaker 2: That was a good old fashioned butt whooping. There's been a lot of games this year with the Jets. You can find excuses for why they weren't successful.
Speaker 4: This is simple. It was one physicality.
Speaker 2: You know, you talk about tackling, you talk about running, blocking, shedding blocks. That's all physicality and that's technique some but it's also tenacity. And you know, you look at James Connell, you knew what type of day it was going to be. You know, about his yards after the catch. You know about how you know they run the ball almost forty seven percent of the time.
Speaker 4: You knew all this coming in. It wasn't complicated.
Speaker 2: You know, to allow Kyler Murray to complete seventeen straight passes is blasph me. I don't know, like if that's ever happened to a Jets defense in our existence, for somebody to be that efficient James Conners with the screen pass for forty yards. It was just all this this It was disheartening, right because the season essentially's on the line, and once again the football guys give you another opportunity to just put that carrot in front of you, dangle it around like, oh, well, the Jets still have a thirteen percent chance to make the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Everybody that everybody lost.
Speaker 2: Yesterday, and you look at like I tell everybody, like, if you really want to see like coaching, coaching, and like how instilled in the culture.
Speaker 4: Look at the Chargers.
Speaker 2: The Chargers have less personnel than they had a year before, but their defensive rankings have gone up because they know who they are. Their coach brought in a level of physicality. They said, hey, justin Herbert not gonna let you throw the ball a million times.
Speaker 4: Justin Herbert.
Speaker 2: They put up twenty seven points in Los Angeles and Herbert threw the ball eighteen times. So like we lost at some point, we lost that element on the defense side of the ball and the offensive side of the ball, and we tried to make it cute and we forgot about football at the end of the day, is about moving a man against his will one way or the other, being able to be physical at the point of attack and to wear guys down, and we lost sense of that. And the display was if you went down the roster of Arizona outside of Buddha Baker, you couldn't name anybody like we wouldn't know like Okay Scanling Buttoning or somebody like. But let's be real, the better roster was in New York, but the better team was in Arizona.
Speaker 1: What do you attribute the mistackles to? Next gen stats?
Speaker 3: At twenty I saw other out let's say seventeen, but it was north to fifteen.
Speaker 1: You was such a sound tackler throughout your career.
Speaker 3: When you see a team do that and it's at every level, what do you point.
Speaker 2: To technique like, like this was funny right. See, in football, you can think you're a big person like or you're a big hitter. So I think it was Adams yesterday. That's a tight end, man. You ain't taking no tight end down with a flipper. You have to wrap, squeeze, and run your feet on every person you touched, because this whole notion that you can hit somebody with the flipper like you Bob Sanders or Sean tayl or Agent or Adrian Wilson, those guys are two twenty. You can get away with it. You two twenty. I think sometimes some of our players don't realize how small they are in comparison to their opposition. When you look at our Jets defense, we're small, man, we're little. We're little at safety, we're a little at linebacker, and we're a little at defensive tackle. Like so the fact that you don't have to use your technique is it's crazy to me. You have to run your feet. Let's just take sauce right for instance, on McBride, the.
Speaker 1: Third dollar player is fourteen to six, right there.
Speaker 2: Big opportunity to get off the field. He wrapped his arms around him and he's and he dropped his feet and he went for a ride. So when you go up when you when you jump on somebody's back and your feet's not attached to the ground anymore, you can't drive him either way, and he just flung him off. But the proper notion would be, you can't tackle somebody high. You have to tackle them around their midsection or waist. You run and you either pull or you push, and you get those arms around you don't let go, and you keep running your feet even if you have to grab around his waist, and then you trip them by putting your feet in between his feet or in front of his feet, but like they don't run their feet. We live in this error where a lot of guys think that they can just come up and ooh, But what happens is when you do that and they don't fall, you're on the ground and they're still running. So I don't believe in this hot tackling stuff either putting your head behind a man's body when you're small, because they just run through those arm tackles, so they're not bringing their ass when they come tackle. They're not taking a power step, they're reaching. So like when you look at Jalen Mills to tackle on conter on the sideline. He's pulling the tackle that he attempted. You got to take two more steps because what happens is when you're running right when somebody's running and you're here, you're gonna you're slowing down because you're stopping and you're falling here and they're moving away. So as you go like you're you're you're hitting something that's moving. The feet are always moving. So you don't tackle the feet because you can come here and miss a foot, and then now you gotta try and swipe their feet. You need to be up here. The mid section don't move, so you can go and then you take them down. They're not taking enough steps. They have to continue to run before they attempt their tackle. They got to get up on people. And then because remember I'm up high, as I lean forward, I come, I become shorter and shorter and shorter. I never want to hit the feet because their feet or it can be this far apart where we catch somebody in midstride. You might not be able to get your arm rout and that's gonna kick your arm off. You gotta tackle around the waist man. You gotta rise up. They're not taking enough steps man, And I don't know why they don't do that, and they don't tackle enough, and they don't practice tackling enough live tackling. Hitting dummies is not live tackling because when you hit the dummy, it goes it falls.
Speaker 4: Every time you hit a.
Speaker 2: Donut or a rolling wheel or whatever, it goes down every time. It's like into the dragon. When he punched a board. Boards don't hit back.
Speaker 1: Can you speak to the rhythm of game, the rhythm of a game?
Speaker 3: You mentioned that third down play where it looked like the Jets we're gonna have an opportunity to get off the field, because at that point each team had had two possessions, and each team had scored on each of their possessions, unfortunately for the Jets, two touchdowns for the Cardinals, two touchdowns for the Green and White. And then also later on that drive, Quincy Williams came unimpeded on of Blitz and that was what might go down is the biggest hit of the year in the National Football League. Somehow Kyler Murray did not bumble that ball away. His helmet was dislodged, and that sets up a six second and eighteen and they're able to convert and then before you know it, they're back in the end zone again.
Speaker 1: Murray hits Mar Harrison Jr.
Speaker 2: To Actually he did fumble the ball, yep, but Quincy got up so fast he didn't recognize that he didn't have the ball. Kyler recovered the ball by his feet while he was trying to get up, but he was dazed. If if if Quincy would have stayed on top of him, he's a dead player with his helmet off, and that ball was still sitting there around his shins, and it was another jet player there. But if he would have recognized it. He was so excited that he made a probably one of the hardest hits, you know, unseen hits that he's ever made. He didn't recognize that the ball was actually loose, and the ball wasn't in Kyler's hands. Soon than Kyle got here, he dropped the ball and he landed on top of it, but he didn't have it.
Speaker 4: And while Quincy was celebrated, he picked the ball up. The little things. Little things, Now that's exciting that what he did. It was an amazing hit. Way to dial it up.
Speaker 2: But when you're losing doing the football season, it's like things like that. That's like, man, we got the hit man, we could have got the ball and nobody was around.
Speaker 4: Everybody stopped.
Speaker 2: If you go back and watch it, you'll see Kyler like get up and reach and grab the ball by his knees and grab it.
Speaker 4: But that ball was free.
Speaker 3: The Cardinals scored five consecutive possessions. If you're Jeff Ballbrick right now, and he's taken on a lot of the responsibilities saying that it's he's he said, hey, I didn't get my team prepared, but he's not out there on the field, the one responsible for making tackles. Defensively, we always talk about it. Me and you love fights. Styles make fights. What do they have to do before this game against Indianapolis Colts as far as defensively trying to fix what held them against the Cardinals, but also looking ahead to these fine on seven games.
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, if you can show that consistently that you can't stop it, you're going to continue to see it, and you're gonna continue to see twelve personnel, You're going to continue to see you know, saying that this is how we adjust to it. You got it, like you can in my opinion, you have to go to a three four. When you have that, you gotta have some form of a heavy package, and it can't be you know, bringing an extra linebacker at the second level walking in safety down.
Speaker 4: I need three defensive tackles in there.
Speaker 2: So I got three over there, three, and I got two over there two and the centers to extra guy.
Speaker 4: And now let me see if you can't double team.
Speaker 2: So now you got a block Quincy Quinnen one on one, you can double, you can double ken Law. But then now whoever you decide to put that, whether it's Clemmings rather it's Taylor, put them in that gap right in between the B gap, Like you can't double because the tackle you can double the tackle. But then I got a fighter's chance that way. But when I have four and they got six, two tight ends on the line, paired up tackle guard, center guard tackle, that's seven people, seven people against four, who's gonna win that battle unless you got two fat dudes, Like, it doesn't usually work out when you go four against seven because that allows them to double team you. Never you don't know who's the double team.
Speaker 4: Coming to.
Speaker 3: Seven takeaways so far through ten games, two interceptions.
Speaker 1: Why haven't the takeaways been there? You know, specifically the interceptions too.
Speaker 3: I know teams are running the ball, but you see a lot of teams in the league they have better success. I mean, they kind of stands out in terms of when we're talking about complimentary football because this is not all on the defense, this is not the entire team, and we're gonna get to that why they are three and seven, But the takeaways, what would you say, what would you point to and say why they haven't done there?
Speaker 2: So when a team can run the ball on you, it creates play action opportunities. So a lot of your defensive plays are one on one right because you committed so much to trying to stop the run that their linebackers have to respect the run. So if it's a playfake, you have to step up. That creates a lot of horizontal space. Like you said, come on, man, you saw the o Ch screen yesterday, right, You saw all the routes you saw was horizontal, Like it's very few vertical shots horizontal. That's because they know that they've earned the respect that the linebackers knowing they have to come downhill, so they just create space. And then now you got the defender having to chase through traffic. And then especially if you're chasing a tight end, even though you can run with a tight end, if you're running behind a tight end, because you have to be in a trail position.
Speaker 4: He's six ' five, he's kicking your.
Speaker 2: Shin every other step right, so then like he can just he basically just positions and bodies you out. And then you end up jumping on his back no matter if you're faster than him or not, because you have to stand relation. Because you get in front of him, he stops and goes back the other way. You have to be in a trail relationship. Usually what you do is when people are doing all that and and the linebackers have to have good eyes.
Speaker 4: But they got some inexperienced linebackers out there. Like the backside.
Speaker 2: Linebacker, like yesterday when they had the big the big boot, it's the backside linebacker that's supposed to see it. The front side linebacker's play side. He's of course, the tight end could be there at like he blocking and run past him. But the backside linebacker has to stay be slow and understand he has to check the backside gap. The front side gap and let me look at him. That's a problem. They're trying to make other people's plays. It's not your play. And that's what happens when you start losing, you start reaching and trying to do other people's job instead of doing your job. So that now the coach has to coach two positions instead of one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you always speak about farming your own land.
Speaker 3: Over the year, you can start pressing and then you actually instead of helping, your creating a second boy. Yeah, all right, So flipping the offensive side of the ball, Jets moved the ball early. They had a number of drives where they sustained the football right and we saw them moving it between the twenties, but they weren't finishing possessions. What do you make of where they are offensively right now?
Speaker 2: I don't know who they are, what they do well, And I don't know if they know, Like I don't know what their bread and butter runs are. I don't know if they bred and brother past combinations are and so and the thing is like the best I think I've seen the offense. Look, you know, people can talk to the Texans game that was that was cool, But for me, it was against the Bills. Yeah, that game in that game, and that game featured a bunch of ships and most remembers the first game out feature a lot of ships and most And what Aaron has to realize is he doesn't need answers to the test.
Speaker 4: Everybody else does.
Speaker 2: So here's what's happening, in my opinion, when Aaron Rodgers goes to the line of scrimmage and it's eighteen seconds that he's going through talking to everybody, right, he's getting everybody tell him what to do, Phil Joe. But me as a linebacker, me as a safety, what that allows me to do is to look at you for eighteen seconds without a distorted view. So when I see you, I'm like, I'm looking like this three by one. Aaron's still talking. I can one thing I can do when it's not a lot of emotions. I can communicate to everybody. I can say watch this, watch that. I can start looking and man, these linemen their hands look a little light. Alert bird right. I can look and say, hey man, this guard is laying him back. Hmmm, alert the pull. Alert the pull. Lets me tell tell the front side linebacker, hey man can be ready to come downhill like a Batshie, I think this guy's pulling, and then it also allows me to tell the backside tackle.
Speaker 4: Hey man, you getting the back block.
Speaker 2: So now everybody's more prepared for the play, right, because I had eighteen seconds of watching when we when we see it like a fire drill, it's when God, what game was that? Remember the Jacksonville game against this year Jacksonville and Buffalo. Yeah, when it was all those shifts in motion and everything. Hey hey hey, it was frantic, right, Yeah, when you shift in motion creates chaos to the defense because sometimes you have to change that.
Speaker 4: You have to change the strength. Call close left, okay, Rett relottle close right. Everybody has to move.
Speaker 2: Then you have to say all right, y know, Deuce Deuke's over here, all right, pack pack pack over here?
Speaker 4: Right, you have to then you got to say all right, nice nine nighte.
Speaker 2: So now you got to communicate, and all it takes is one person not to get it right and he's out of his gap.
Speaker 4: You win.
Speaker 2: Primarily just because you created movement. You created you forced communication, And what Aaron's not doing is not forcing communication because you're not motioning and shifting. He doesn't need it. But his teammates need it, right, because for your offense, if you're going in motion and nobody goes with you, then now you know for sure that it's a zone or man right. It reaffirms what you assume. Aaron Rodgers doesn't need that affirmation because he already knows because he's been around long enough. He has different keys that he can get his stuff for him. Other people need those keys, and that's the problem. Sometimes when you play with a great player, they assume that everybody else is great and think great, that's not the case. Like I remember when I was coaching, I said all the time by singletary, you'd be like, man, didn't you see that?
Speaker 4: No, like you see it. That's why you're one.
Speaker 2: Of the greatest players ever played the position, because you see stuff I don't see.
Speaker 4: No, I did not.
Speaker 2: I absolutely didn't see it. So Aaron is expecting ten people on the field to see what he sees, but they don't. So he has communicated to him and by the time that happens, the defense has already had an opportunity to decipher what they think is going to be and they're allowed to play fast because guess what, once I see the clock.
Speaker 4: Get underneath two seconds or three seconds.
Speaker 2: Man, whatever hut hut you're doing, I'm firing off because if it's not hut hut, it's either the delayed game, it's not gonna be all sides.
Speaker 4: So I'm firing off. So now I'm getting off the ball faster game day.
Speaker 2: And every day.
Speaker 3: Score a jewelry touchdown with Kendra Scott.
Speaker 2: Shot Fashion and Fine Jewelry fit for another winning season at your local store or Kendrascott dot com.
Speaker 3: Shine Bray, do good with Kendra Scott. It's so interesting to bring off that Bills game because it doesn't seem too long ago. And I mentioned this in the postgame show that the Jets were hosting Buffalo on Monday Night Football. There were two and three, the Bills were three and two. They had a chance to tie a top the ass the East. In that game, Bark, the Jets had fifteen plays of ten plus yards eight plays of twenty plus yards against the Cardinals. Arizona averaged ten point four yards per pass the time. The Jets averaged three point four yards per passive time.
Speaker 2: Because the concepts are easy to read, like and tell me this, how many deep shots did they take?
Speaker 1: Got many got many.
Speaker 4: That's my point.
Speaker 2: They didn't stress the feel like I don't understand. Like I understand teams are taking things away, but at some points you got to be able to say, hey, we got great players, let's see if they gonna make plays.
Speaker 4: You got to give them chances. And I didn't see them get chances.
Speaker 2: And when fashion came in, because tim Rhine has been been struggling a bit, I thought that the pressures slowed down and alligned with solidified as well.
Speaker 1: Bresee Hall averaged more than five yards per carry. Yet it's never enough though, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like it's got to be a commitment.
Speaker 2: Like I said before on my on my on the post game, it's no way that the Giants run game should be producing more yards than the Jets. We got a better line and we got better players. And I don't like to farm other people's teams, but it's just it's more apparent because you know, yo, who the kid Tyrone is, and you know like who they because we're in the same market. You know who their offensive line is. You like, it's no way that this guy should be rushing for one hundred and forty seven yards and we can't get breeze the ball consistently. That's the best way to open up the passing games by consistently committing to the run. Like I said, Justin Herbert threw the ball eighteen times yesterday and put up twenty seven points. And that's not You see that throughout the league. That running the football, it's the thing to do. You see that maybe like if you look at you look at the Chargers, you look at the Ravens, you look at you look at the Chiefs, you look at Miami fullbacks because the linebackers have gotten so small because they're trying to keep up and be able to play in space. The best way to gate that and how teams are doing that is by going old school on them. It used to be just New England that had a fullback. Now you look at the teams that's running the ball down people's throat. They have a fullback and they're committed to the run and it keeps the pass attempts. Now, Jalen Hirts looks like Jalen Hirts now because he doesn't throw the ball and put the ball at risk. Dak Prescott looks like he looks because he throws the ball too much. Because they're one dimensional.
Speaker 3: What is a challenge right now for Josh Wallbrick at three and seven with this team coming off this game against the Arizona Cardinals and now hosting Indianapolis Colt at home.
Speaker 2: It's it's losing the crowd and it's losing your locker room, like trying to fight and keeping them together, like just keep fighting, like Indianapolis in the same place, Joe Flacco through two interceptions. It's like first quarter, but they came back and took the lead. So it's not gonna be easy. And that's the thing you think, because you got good players, it's gonna be easy.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: They need to figure out how to find the balance between incorporating and all the Sometimes you can have too much talent and you try and serve everybody. At some points you just got to say, this is what we're doing because it's best for the team, and we'll figure it out going forward. They have to find a way to move the football. They got to find a way to score points, and they got to find a way to stop the run because guess what, Indianapolis offensive line is better than Arizona's.
Speaker 4: Right, Like we getting the ball.
Speaker 2: Ran out our throat with an offensive line that featured beat them and Will Hernandez. When you hear those names that you should say, no, we're good like those like we know those players good people, not great players. But if you commit it to what you're doing and you know your role and you do it at one hundred percent, you can do that.
Speaker 3: I know coaches typically say it takes four six games before you can say we have an identity for the Jets after ten games, what do you want them to strive for in terms of what their identity should be.
Speaker 1: I'm both sides of the ball.
Speaker 2: Most football teams should be about being identity should be disciplined and tenacity. And we know what it looks like when we see it, like tenacity, like like you can see when teams play with a record as abandon but they play physical like we don't have to. We've seen this defense play like that last year.
Speaker 1: But I need you to tell me what you want them to be on both sides of the ball right now.
Speaker 3: Take away the guys who are no longer here physical.
Speaker 2: I want them to be physical. I want them to be violent. That takes care of That's how you win the trenches. It's all out fight and too often they're taking the path of least resistance. See, people assume and people that fight always assume that when you're fighting that you don't get hit or hurt too.
Speaker 4: Quite the crime, Charry, You're gonna.
Speaker 2: Get hit a lot, but you gotta be able to take one to give one, and sometimes you gotta take that out. But you can't let that deter you from doing what you need to do. Like if I'm all brick, I'm saying, listen, I don't want any.
Speaker 4: Tackles for my defensive line. I want sacks.
Speaker 2: I don't expect my defensive line and to make no tackles because they supposed to be hunking down making sure that nobody gets to my linebackers. That's your job. It's not your job as a defensive tackle to make tackles. It's not your job. Your job is to dominate the line of scrimmage. And that doesn't have that doesn't say getting tackles. I think people, you know, they think that you know, Oh man, if I get a hundred, listen, I much rather have thirty tackles as a defensive tackle and our defense ranks number one against a run than to have a hundred tackles on defensive line and be twenty eighth because that's telling a story, a story of selfishness. Because when you sign up to be a defensive line it's not glamorous. When you sign up to be a will linebacker, it ain't glamorous. Listen, I spent many a days or many of plays underneath piles while David or ray Lewis was celebrating over my head because it wasn't my job. It was my job to go blow up the play. It was their job to make the tackle. You gotta embrace your role like nobody cares about how many tackles you got. You can add them up all you want, like I'll take I'll take I'll take this. I'll tell you all time. I'll take my eight hundred career tackles every day of the week over a bunch of guys that got fifteen hundred because guess what I got, I got, I got eight hundred tackles or whatever. However, my my career status is eight hundred tackles. Whatever I got mines because guess what we was off the field were no opportunities. We was three and out. You can have a bunch of tackles and showed me. I show me a dude with a bunch of time, Show you a dude that's on a scrub team on week defense. When you first, you second in defense, it ain't enough tackles for everybody because guess what we over there drinking gatorade while you're out there giving yourself.
Speaker 3: CTE, you got a prediction for Jake Paul and Mike Tyson.
Speaker 4: I refuse to watch that.
Speaker 1: Baby, right Tyson in that ring.
Speaker 2: I mean if it goes past three rounds al for Tyson, right, if Tyson gets to him and touching him early, it's a ride.
Speaker 4: Listen.
Speaker 1: You know he's close to sixty years old.
Speaker 2: I know Jacob's done a great job in making a bunch of money and excitement over fighting people. That's a nun threat to him, but we fall for it because it's the name, not what we think they are. Come on, man, Nate Robinson washed up UFC fighters. One time that he stepped up and fought a real fighter. He lost Tommy Fury, who is not even a good fighter.
Speaker 1: So let's get out on this. Can you explain to people what it was like.
Speaker 3: When Tyson was on pay per view back in his heyday.
Speaker 4: See, because we didn't have a bunch of options.
Speaker 2: We didn't have Netflix, we didn't have Prime, we didn't have Disney Plus. Like things were limited. So sometimes too much, too many options could be a bad thing because you don't know what to pick. But man, when Tyson was on, it was like like grandfriend, my grandfather were rent the fight.
Speaker 4: We all come down. You got the house packed, and I.
Speaker 2: Can remember a couple of times people went to go get something to drink and came back and the fight was over there like what happened like if you blink. It was like it was always a threat of danger of it being stocked with one punch, And that was the beauty of it, right, And that's why it makes him so exciting. That's what makes people love him. That's what makes people still revere him. He's not the best heavyweight champion. I mean, hell, he lost to Holy Phil, he lost to Lennox Lewis, you know what I mean. He was a flawed man. But he was exciting and you knew it was going to be exciting. You knew he was going for broke and that was that was the beauty of it. And you know, for me, you know still.
Speaker 4: Best bang for your buck.
Speaker 3: He was the most intimate sports figure of my time at five ten.
Speaker 4: Coming in, I realize that he's a little man.
Speaker 3: Coming in there with the black trunks, the black high tops.
Speaker 4: No, the white top that's cut.
Speaker 2: They cut the triangles to the side, and he put it over like a like a cape.
Speaker 1: That's what I want to see from the Jets on Sunday.
Speaker 3: Just come out, come out of that tunnel and get after him.
Speaker 4: You got no choice, man, because they will boo you off the stage.
Speaker 2: You gotta you gotta bring everything, man at this point, like fans I think are gauging effort, and one thing you can't do is show him that you mailed it in. You gotta play hard, man, hard than you've ever played. Like, whinning in this league isn't easy. You shouldn't expect it to be, but man, like, when you look at your left and right, you're like, man, that dude next to me is is a be but is he giving you everything he got? So that's what you have to do as leaders. And you know it's hard because CJ. Molesey has been hurt all year. It's hard because these young guys are trying the best they can, but I don't know if they really know how to lead and what the accountability of holding each other accountable during the week is all about. And then when it's not going right on the field, being able to have the respect to hold people accountable, starting with yourself first saying that this is below our standard, is not going this way, do your job, and holding guys accountable to do their job.