Speaker 1: This is the Blueberg Daybake You podcast, available every morning on Apples, Spotify or wherever you listen. It's Thursday, the second of May in London. I'm Caroline Hepkin.
Speaker 2: And I'm Stephen Carroll. Coming up today, The Federal Reserve chief Jerown Pal says he wants to see more evidence inflation is cooling before moving to cut rates.
Speaker 1: Traders push back against another suspected yen intervention by the Japanese government.
Speaker 2: Plus not working out Tesla Pull's internship offers as Musk continues his drive to reduce headcount, Let's.
Speaker 1: Start with a roundup of our top stories.
Speaker 2: The Federal Reserve charge your Own Power has downplayed the prospect of further rate hikes while keeping hopes alive for a cut this year. The comments come after officials unanimously decided to leave rates on hold following a slew of data that pointed to lingering price pressures in the US economy. Speaking after the policy announcement, Pal consider that the Fed won't be able to reduce borrowing costs as soon as previously forecast.
Speaker 3: We do not expect that it will be appropriate to reduce the target range for the Federal funds rate until we have gained greater confidence that inflation is moving sustainably toward two percent. So far this year, the data have not given us that greater confidence. In particular, and as I noted, earlier readings on inflation have come in above expectations, it is likely that gaining such greater confidence will take longer than previously expected.
Speaker 2: During the press conference, Pile also gave clear guidance that he expects the FAD to keep borrowing costs elevated for longer, rather than raising them again.
Speaker 3: I do think it's clear that policy is restrictive, and we believe over time it will be sufficiently restrictive. That will be a question that the data will have to answer. I think it's unlikely that the next policy rate move will be a hike.
Speaker 2: Those remarks from Piles sooths investors who'd worried the Fed might react more aggressively to signs that inflation progress has stalled. However, three straight months of disappointing inflation figures have driven a major repricing of interest rate xctations, with futures markets now showing just one cost this year.
Speaker 1: A surge in the Japanese and in late New York trading has traders wondering if Japan is intervening in the market again. The Can'tcy moved three percent to hit one hundred and fifty three per dollar before weakening. Blueberg's rates reporter Michael Wilson has been talking to traders who think the state had a hand in the moves.
Speaker 4: I spoke to a couple of chaps in New York before they went home and that what they described at what they saw was much like what happened on Monday. And you know a situation where you know, Dollian would say around one fifty five, seventy, just pick a number, you know, suddenly office would come in, some of which came from Japanese banks all the way like twenty points through the level, at least ten points through the level. Now, that's not typically how the Japanese banks, you know, clear their business. It does seem predatory in terms of, you know, the effect on the market.
Speaker 1: Wilson says that we'll only know for sure when the government confirms any FX action. Looking ahead, the likelihood of sharp moves in the market during a looming four day holiday in Japan and also London markets being closed on Monday may also have been a concern for Japan's currency officials.
Speaker 2: Standard Charters has reported adjusted pre tax profit of two point one three billion dollars for the first three months of twenty twenty four, beating analyst expectations. That's a twenty five percent increase on last year's number. The banks on increased income from corporate and investment banking alongside its wealth and retail divisions.
Speaker 1: The Federal Reserve and other top us regulators plan on finalizing bank capital rules despite strong pushback from the sector. Bloomberg's Banking regulation reporter Katanga Johnson says that there had been talk of scrapping the plan.
Speaker 5: Whilst we have been waiting. After regulators said in March that they would make broad material changes to the plan. They waited to see whether that meant withdrawing it, scrapping it all together and putting a new one forward. Agencies will not be scrapping their plan. Instead, they'll be making changes, including in particular market risk and what that particular gapital requirement would be. But the discussions are still ongoing and it could be finalized as soon as August. At least some corners of Washington are pushing for.
Speaker 1: That Johnson adds that this comes in spite of a FIC lobbying campaign form of the financial world. Under the old proposal, the largest US banks would face about a nineteen percent increase in how much capital they must hold in order to buffer themselves against losses. US administrative law requires any changes don't stray too significantly from what was originally planned.
Speaker 2: Voters in England and Wales had to the polls today for local elections that could give clues as to the performance of political parties in the upcoming general election. Polling stations are open from seven am to ten pm, with elections in one hundred and seven local authorities and ten mayoral races taking place. Results of our expectors start coming in early on Friday morning, with the count in some areas continuing through to Sunday.
Speaker 1: The UK is beating the odds and attracting growing foreign direct investment that as its European peers see a decline in new externally funded projects. Bloombergs Tea Adebayo has the details.
Speaker 6: Foreign direct investment is stalling across Europe. The number of projects is down fourteen percent from its twenty seventeen peak. That's according to consultancy firm Ey, who say the figures should act as a wake up call for the region. But the UK, it seems, is bucking the trend, attracting nine hundred and eighty five FDI projects in twenty twenty three, six percent more than the year before. That number puts the country second in the European Foreign Investment League tables, behind France. A sharp increase in software and IT investment in London could be behind the boost in London. Do you add a Bayo Boomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: And Tesla is rescinding internship offers just weeks before candidates are due to start. It comes as the firm goes through a series of sweeping job cuts and acted by CEO Elon Musk. Provoking internships isn't likely to save Tesla a lot of money. According to Glassdoor, the automaker typically offers eighteen dollars to twenty eight dollars an hour for the positions. Now, in a moment, we'll dig into what we heard from the Fed charge your own Powell at yesterday's meeting, plus look at the latest moves that we've seen in the Yen. But the story that caught our eye this morning very close to my heart about restaurant bookings. If you think things in London are bad and how foreign advance, you have to try and book to get a place in a restaurant. Our opinion columnist Harod try One has been writing about the latest phenomenon in New York, which is a secondary market for bookings where people are paying to get spots at top eteries that other people have already booked. You make the booking and then you resell it.
Speaker 1: So you have to be like a ticket master.
Speaker 2: Or out there online trying to get your place in the restaurant. But Howard's pointed to system that's used at some high end restaurants in Japan, which he says could provide inspirations for others. And this is no first time bookings, So if you want to get in, you have to either be a regular or be invited by a regular. And if you pass muster on your first visit as a guest of somebody who they know and like, then you may be invited to book yourself for your return visit. So the idea is for the restaurants they get a regular clientele. For those who go there, you know, they get to they know what the food is and then the chef and the diners are all happy. That's the idea anyway, But Howard points out that's not really in line with the Western ideal of perpetual growth and the magic escalator of scalability. But it could work for those who want to keep themselves off the radar. There's a great story in the piece, which I won't spoil, about Howard's trip to a restaurant called Sugita and Tokyo, one of those regular only places. Whether or not he gets invited back, you'll have to read the piece to find out.
Speaker 1: How does one pass muster in a restaurant these days? Not quite sure. I think London's still obsessed with the celebrity chef. In fact, I've I've put a table on Saturday night for one such day.
Speaker 5: There we go.
Speaker 1: Read that story on the Blueberg Tournament. A bit of fun for you this morning. Let's get on though, with the business of things out of the US yesterday, gaining confidence that inflation is falling towards the target will take longer than previously expected. That was the message from Jeroam Power, who signaled rates will remain higher for longer, but that a hike is unlikely to be the Fed's next move. Blueberg's TV anchor Kritti Gupta is with us this morning to go over everything that we heard about yesterday from the Fed on the rate path. Was this meeting what you described as nothing Burger, keeping that kind of restauranting theme.
Speaker 7: I appreciate that you called it nothing burger.
Speaker 5: I love when Fritz to do that.
Speaker 7: Yes, in that the cuts or if you say, the rate decision didn't actually move right. They kept a rate steady, so that made a lot of sense. It also reiterated this idea that hikes are not in the near future for the Federal Reserve, and I think that was kind of the changing point for a lot of this press conference, simply because the expectation going into the conference, as we know and as we discussed twenty four hours ago, was simply that there may be a case for a hike. J Powell doing a very good job of throwing cold water on that, saying if the bars even higher, that policy rates are still very restrictive. That hasn't eroded the ability of the tool itself. And that's a really important piece of the equation because one of the arguments that was made in terms of a hike was that maybe things aren't restrictive enough because the US economy is outperforming. That being said, what got really interesting was the really really nerdy piece of QT, and I think that is I found the most fascinating part because of some of the analysis that came out after Basically they're halting the pace of QT the runoff essentially, which means that it's not quite q E, but it has more of a less hawkish effect than it did previously. Obviously, I love what Alberto Gallo or Andromeda Capital said. He says, keeping front end rates high while tapering QT is like pulling the handbrake while pushing the accelerator pedal, So essentially moving kind of the two year yield, which you have seen move in response to kind of this hawkishness and this resilience in the data, while still kind of creating that liquidity and that easing in the back end of the curve. What it does is kind of manipulate the way the curve moves to some extent, kind of jawbone to guide markets where they want to go. That's a pretty big deal when we're talking about whether or not these are early signs of this kind of more easier monetary policy that is coming down the road. When it comes to the actual rate cut, though, that seems me moved further and further.
Speaker 2: Oh so the question of how do you send a segment to the markets without sending a segment on interest rates? Essentially is what the Fed appears to have don't have? What do the markets look at next?
Speaker 7: Then the next data point payrolls, I suppose on Friday. What's important to keep about this? Keep about about this idea. I'm gonna get my words right this morning. But basically what you need to keep in mind here is that basically the cuts are now one cut is now priced in forward December. So one of the key pieces here is that does the Fed kind of back themselves into a corner because they are still sticking to this narrative that the inflationary trend is not an acceleration of inflation. It is still on the kind of paths of deceleration. However, they are saying it's taking longer and longer to get to that two percent inflation target, and that's where the concern lies. Where do cuts then go into twenty twenty five that meets with election risk to what extent does payrolls even matter if the FED is going to be sticking to that easier policy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so that's on the FED. The other story that was of interest, and we gave you a little snippet of it around the rules for bank capital, which has been a huge deal on Wall Street, and it looks like the whole plans are not going to be scrapped. There's still going to be a drive basically for the banks to hold more capital, especially the kind of larger banks. You know, thoughts on that and when we're going to get the decision as well.
Speaker 7: Yeah, one of those pieces of significance here is these kind of reserve ratios that were initially going to be bumped up. Was initially a move in response to the Silicon Valley bank story, and it was this idea that you needed more capital to prevent bank runs, to prevent basically these big losses you sar kind of the Archagos deal with Credit Suisse involved as well. So there are a lot of concerns around the fact that some of the big banks could have some sort of GFC two point zero kind of moment. The issue with that, though, is that is also essentially restrictive policy because it means less lending ability into the rest of the economy. The fact that they're pulling back on that and they're not making as stringent of those rules is also a positive. It's stimulative and therefore kind of in that easing camp. However, that could change going into twenty twenty five again because they're going to be reevaluating the story and the banks. Jamie Diamond in particular has come across a lot of pushback, especially on Congress, in terms of just how secure they are in terms of that cushion that they need.
Speaker 2: Okay, Christy goope to thank you very much, Bimberg TV anchor bringing its details.
Speaker 1: Now, we've had another suspected currency intervention by Japanese authorities, saw the yen strengthen suddenly before then facing further selling pressure. Our executive editor for Asian Markets, Paul Dobson joins us now for more, just take us through the scale of the moves that we've seen in the Japanese Yeah, and I mean it's the dope fight. The third issue, isn't it?
Speaker 8: Well a little bit, although the currency market seems pretty willing to take the Japanese authorities on to a certain extent, but what we saw in the last few minutes of the New York trading session was quite a pronounced move again stronger for the yen, about a five yen move, which is typically the sort of impact and scale and scope of change that you would see with an intervention by those authorities looking to give it a little bit of a boost. Based on that, the evidence suggests that it's a second intervention by the authorities this week, a second attempt to stop the yen from continuing with this weakening path. The problem that they face is almost immediately once that was over, the weakening began again, and we already you know, took back at about one percent of those advances that we saw in those last minutes of the New York session, And so it points to this idea that still the trend is very much for a week again, and so the impact or the influence that the authorities can have is is going to be tested at the very least.
Speaker 2: Does that is that likely to put them off doing it again? Though, Paul, I mean, could we see further interventions like this? Of course, they haven't officially confirmed it, Japan's top currency official telling us that he had nothing to say about whether they'd intervened.
Speaker 8: Quite right, they haven't confirmed it, although a lot of the data, including a look at the current account that's published about the Bank of Japan, points in that direction. No, I don't think that it's going to deter them from doing it. Now that they've started, it makes it much more likely that they're going to continue on this path until they get the message across. Even if all they can hope is to slow the pace of depreciation of the yen, that's still probably a good reason to get involved at this point, to try to keep the market guessing a little bit, which is part of the reason why there isn't any kind of admission of what the action looks like, keep the market guessing, keep traders a little bit nervous. What they really want, more than anything else is to avoid speculative trading. As they put it, too much money being pushed on a speculative basis against the general sharp moves in the currency over a short period of time to destabilize our financial markets or destabilized price expectations.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Europe, your morning brief on the stories making news from London to Wall Street and beyond.
Speaker 1: Look for us on your podcast feed every morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning on London Dab Radio, the Bloomberg Business app, and Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 1: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty. I'm Caroline Hepka and.
Speaker 2: I'm Stephen Carroll. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak Europe