Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is nick shot streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys have and now your hosts Mickey Spagnola, Everson Wolves, Nate Newton, and Bill Jones.
Speaker 3: And we thought it never rained in southern California, but that got dismissed this morning when it came down pouring for about five minutes. Nate Newton as we get going here on mix shots on Dallascowboys dot Com. Mickey Spagnola, Nate Newton here in training camp where the tennis courts are soaking wet.
Speaker 4: Nate, you know what I was saying my prayers at that time, right And I actually thought, I said, who has stolen some food? I'll see itself on my balcony because I keep here and I'm thinking, I'm thinking seagulls just patterning around out there, you know what I'm saying. And over I was like, God, God, it rained, mister Wallley's friends, it rained.
Speaker 3: I was walking back for my workout and I was just crossing the parking lot and I felt a couple drops.
Speaker 2: I said, Okay, that's cool.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get a few sprinkles, right. And by the time I got to the stop of the steps to go in my room, it's pouring down rain.
Speaker 2: Wow. Lasted all of five minutes.
Speaker 4: And y'all can't see our equipment out here. It was saved by Josh and by Chris Beam. I produced it was saying, oh, Josh, yeah, so they saved our equipment and me, me and Mick would have been blanked out today.
Speaker 2: Or we would have been sitting in wet seats.
Speaker 4: Yes, they took care of us.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 3: Uh, that's the weather report from Oxnard, California, as we uh get going here on Mixed Shots brought to you by mill Or Light.
Speaker 2: And this will be our last show.
Speaker 3: Of the week since our next day to do the podcast would be Friday. But we are taking off around ten o'clock in the morning to head to Lax and head home for the Cowboys first preseason game. Cowboys had a padded practice yesterday on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Was kind of a long practice, Nate. Yes, they did. Yes, it was a long practice.
Speaker 3: And the one thing I've noticed, and we're you know, they got pads on.
Speaker 2: They're not supposed to be tackling.
Speaker 3: But I'm seeing a lot of contact out there, especially in some of the special teams drills.
Speaker 4: As a matter of fact, Nicky, this is where I tell young guys and I tell veteran guys protect yourself. The competition for the first time, and I don't know how many years, even with coach MacArthur's, the last two year competition is so high the stress levels.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: Now, you may not see a lot of fish the cuffs, but guys are fighting for the bottom half of the roster.
Speaker 2: This last twenty players.
Speaker 4: The coaches has over emphasized, Hey, guys, we're gonna give you opportunity. You may only get one rep for two reps perst session, but you're gonna have to show us something. Some guys are taking it right up to the edge and sometime they're going over.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I noticed when they when they do like three on three special teams special teams, Yes, and they're going down to cover a kickoff or cover a punt, they're they're starting to hit. Now not tackling the ball carrier, but Josh, all with the guys that that are trying to block or get away from blocks.
Speaker 4: See when you are Stephen, the guys John john Stephen Johnson, when you're that guy, are you even what's our number two? Pick a couple of years a corner Joseph. Right, you have to understand Joseph understands who he is. He is here because of great special teams. Right, So when he is locking up with guys, he's trying to show the coach that I'm still your guy and our CJ gut when it's another guy.
Speaker 2: These guys are not playing. This is their job.
Speaker 4: So when you come lollygagging down the field, they're gonna be very physical with you.
Speaker 2: And what that made.
Speaker 4: That sets a tone and the young players be like, Okay, maybe I can be that guy. Because a lot of these guys already know Mick that they're on the practice squad, right, they don't want to stay on the practice squad. They want to be elevated to always having a shot at that fifty three man roster come game day. So it's getting physical and it's good. Competition always brings out the best.
Speaker 3: And these types of guys and we'll get into it later in the show. The preseason games will be big. I know everybody goes a preseason game they're not gonna play any starters, but we'll get into some guys that we think you should probably file. Now, a couple of things happened in practice yesterday, and I'm really amused by it sometimes.
Speaker 2: So when the.
Speaker 3: Cowboys kicker struggled yes on Saturday, combined they made ten of twenty one kicks, so that would have been Tristan Viskayano and Brandon Aubrey, it was big headline in the paper, yes, right. And then the next day when they released Viskayano, and they did it about five minutes after our I think our show finished, right, yes, sir, that was another big headline. Rookie kicker only one left? Right, Well, yesterday Brandon Aubrey the only kicker left. The rookie former soccer player, hit eleven of eleven field goals.
Speaker 2: You know where.
Speaker 3: That showed up in the paper briefly at the bottom of the notes that he made eleven of eleven field goal attempts. And I just laughed because I know what the Cowboys were trying to do, and people really don't understand the win situation here for these guys. The field goals over on the next field over there, they were the ruin of many a kicker out here because of the way the wind blows into them, right, and not only in their face, but it swirls up top, and you gotta be careful.
Speaker 2: You got to kick a really strong ball to.
Speaker 3: Power through, power through, and if you don't do that, that thing's blowing all over the place. So a good day for Brandon Aubrey. All his kicks were between and I get it, thirty three and forty three yards, but he made every one of them. And what they were trying to do is re establish some confidence.
Speaker 2: You know, my deal is this me?
Speaker 4: And last year when you first brought that up, I started laughing, and you know that was my running joke with you, right, But this year I paid more attention.
Speaker 2: Facing the field, the left goal posts.
Speaker 4: If I'm if I'm a kicker, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, Chris, the left goal posts, facing the field. I would not kick over there if I'm a kicker.
Speaker 2: Here, because I think we've probably gotten gotten rid of some pretty decent kickers.
Speaker 4: Right, But that left goal posts over there, you can see right now, no wind, but every now and then you'll see it's swirling flags swirling off top. And I'm saying, is it that much difference in twenty feet? And it is because both of these guys are capable kickers, but not on that not on that far goal posts. And I don't believe in curses, but it don't work over there.
Speaker 3: The ruin of many a kicker, I'll tell you. And the funny thing yesterday, when they started getting ready to kick, I was getting ready to walk around so I can see the distance right, yes, and Todd Archer ESPN Cowboys was already over there on the sideline and he motioned to me stay there, So I stood underneath the gold post right at the crossbar.
Speaker 2: And when I'm.
Speaker 3: Standing there looking at him kicking, I could feel the wind on my back, but up top those ribbons were kind of hardly moving, and I'm going I know it's windy.
Speaker 2: Up there because I could feel it.
Speaker 3: But anyway, Brandon Aubrey had a really good day, good confidence, and he's kind of got It's funny a lot of these kickers, the ones that were successful for the Cowboys, the Chris Bonios, the Dan Bailey's mar they all kind of got that same personality.
Speaker 2: They're very.
Speaker 3: Low key, they don't say much and it's all about the next kick. Well, this guy hasn't played that much football, right, right, right, And when he kicks on Saturday, that'll be the first time he kicks in an NFL game competition, right, because he was in the USFL.
Speaker 2: But he's just liked those guys.
Speaker 3: When we did the interview with him and they were talking about you know, you know, the pressure's on, and he goes, I gotta flush the last kick, and it's about the next kick.
Speaker 2: It's about the next day.
Speaker 3: You gotta forget what's happened, good or bad, and not going I think I heard that before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so somebody's taught them how to be I.
Speaker 4: Think, yeah, the mindset. I mean, I never was a kicker. It never was good enough, athletic enough. I tried kicking a couple of times. I was a straight ahead type guy. So but uh, I'm just gonna leave it up to.
Speaker 2: Fossil. He always seems to find the guy, right.
Speaker 4: You know, our problem has been when a guy goes on a bad streak, we take a little too loan and reacts sometime. But other than that, he always seems to find the guy.
Speaker 3: So they want to see and you know, talking with him, I mean he was a soccer player, and somebody asking him about the pressure playing soccer. But the pressure playing soccer you got to make the team. But it's still a you're in the middle of a team deal.
Speaker 2: You're not out.
Speaker 3: The only time in soccer you're out by yourself is a penalty kicker y right, right, And I'm sure those guys think they should make every one of them right, Not everybody's messy, right, And.
Speaker 4: So it took him a while to get that final championship right right, Yeah, So anyway, that was the kicking deal.
Speaker 3: The other thing from practice, and we probably should dispel that, the center Tyler Biadish rolled his right ankle left for a while. My understanding is he'll be fine and they'll give you know, today it's a walkthrough practice, so they won't do much.
Speaker 2: They probably won't do a heck of a lot on Thursday.
Speaker 3: Friday will be an off day to travel and so. And he's not playing in the game on Sunday, I mean Saturday, I wouldn't think. And the other one that caused the stir was Mozzi Smith missed practice yesterday. Uh, he went to do an MRI on his knee.
Speaker 2: And anytime you hear MRI and knee. It's never really a good thing.
Speaker 3: Well, uh, he ended up participating in the evening walkthrough. I was told that it's basically a little bit of tender nights and it's really nothing to be worried about. He just had some discomfort, and anytime your first round draft choice has a little discomfort, there's probably I don't want to say overreaction, but it was You're gonna be caution.
Speaker 2: That's something it's only gonna get worse over the years.
Speaker 3: Not not in the right and the only thing that you gotta rest it right rest. So anyway, Uh, he should be fine. I would imagine he plays on Saturday too.
Speaker 4: You know, he needs he needs to ramp up. Some guys gonna need more, but he's gonna be your guy on first and second down. And talking to coach Quinn, did they really is trying to hammer that home to him to.
Speaker 2: Start getting his steps right.
Speaker 4: I talked to the coach, Floyd, the defensive line coach, and he said, Nate, this kid say, I'm getting believe when he said he don't like football, but he liked beating on other men. I mean he does a great job of beating on other men. We just got to get him his technique down right and get him to believe that if you beat this guy, why not going to tackle the back You know what I'm saying, right right.
Speaker 3: Don't just worry about holding up a double ta R make some tackle in the backfield.
Speaker 2: So if that was a scare, it shouldn't be a scare. He was fine. See who else missed? Uh?
Speaker 3: Pro Oh, I know it was the wide receiver David Durden, rookie are agent. He caught a diving touchdown pass and a deep ball in one of their situations where it was fourth and something. But he when he landed, his head hit the ground, so I would imagine he's in concussion protocol. They they brought him into the tent and he didn't practice again, and I would imagine he doesn't play on Saturday. And he was starting to have a really good camp too. Kind of an unknown.
Speaker 2: Guy, uh.
Speaker 3: I think he was a baseball player and he gave up baseball to try his a hand at football.
Speaker 2: He played at.
Speaker 3: West Florida, so it's probably Division two and so uh yeah, that was the one injury that I think they were worried about out Also, Janier Thomas kind of got run into during special teams drill. They brought him off and started doing the eye test for concussion protocol, not like before neck when they said how.
Speaker 2: Many fingers do I have? Up right?
Speaker 3: And so, but he went back and finished practice. So from an injury standpoint, Scoonmaker was out there actually in pads and took some reps, made a nice diving catch in one of the situations. And Tony Pollard they expect him to be back today.
Speaker 2: He was witnessing the birth of his first child.
Speaker 3: So from an injury standpoint, Jordan Lewis is still doing rehab work.
Speaker 2: Maybe next week. I think he's starting.
Speaker 3: To get closer to getting back out here, and he's going to have some work to do, by the way, uh when he comes back out, because Deron Blands kind of soluted himself as uh solidified himself as the third corner and Eric Scott is making moves and the Sean Wright they're giving a lot of reps to So you're smiling.
Speaker 2: Do you think he's in trouble?
Speaker 1: Ah?
Speaker 2: Now, I'm a boy. He'll he'll come through this if he's physically ready.
Speaker 4: Because some guys are so mentally strong and so hyped right that they that they'll fit right back in.
Speaker 2: But what what I.
Speaker 4: Like about this competition is sometimes Jordan Lewis is trying to do his own thing, he gets him in trouble. Well, now he knows that he's got a thin line for mistakes, so he gonna be even ultra focused, even more focused. So I'm looking for this thing to crank up if he can get back out there and get into a normal rhythm, because we don't know if they're gonna, you know, give him a live bit, take him out, you know how they do.
Speaker 3: It, and they's got to do a ramp up, right, that's what I'm saying. Well, the ramp up for Scot Maker was very long.
Speaker 4: No, No, he's a young blood. He's a young blood. He's big, he's physical.
Speaker 2: The dude is huge.
Speaker 4: The dude could play some tackle for real, he's so desired, right, you could play some tackle, man.
Speaker 3: And that's what they need from these tight ends, right. I mean I always thought last year that Ferguson was their best blocking tight end.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And he's having a nice camp, Hendershot's having a nice camp. You mentioned John Stevens, Well we'll talk about him as one of the players to watch.
Speaker 2: But also the other.
Speaker 3: Big deal out of the training camp was that Trayvon Diggs had two interceptions of Dak Prescott, Leyton Vandersch had another one. So two of the three interceptions, by the way, and one was on a deep ball into that stupid wind right came up a little.
Speaker 2: Bit short, and.
Speaker 3: The one the one that was down the sideline on the other way he was throwing the CD. CD just kind of gave up on the ball like it was going out of bounds, and and then it didn't go out of bounds and there was Digs making a catch.
Speaker 4: Let me let me you know, Mack, I think you make care a little bit more than me because I always look at practice. It is what it is, and it's only practice. Fans don't look at it as practice. They look at it as a continuation of the game, right, and you shouldn't do that.
Speaker 2: Do we need to get out of here and get into No. I think we're good, so go ahead finishing.
Speaker 4: But if Dak thowse a bad ball, and I'm always looking at the situation, who the players was and why he may have done that. So once I figured that out, then then I've become critical or non critical. And when a receiver stops on you for whatever reason, he felt he got held, he ran a bad route.
Speaker 2: That's not your fault.
Speaker 4: But you know, but if the dB makes a play on your ball and it's there for the receiver too, it's just who wanted the worst. And I don't judge a quarterback until the games start, and when he started playing, then I was started judging him. But a young guy, I may judge because you don't take chances or you just don't sling balls out there because you're.
Speaker 2: Trying to make the team. Dak is working.
Speaker 4: We don't know what he's working on during that day. I'm gonna work on this, I'm gonna do this. I'm you don't know what he's working on because I do it as office and line. I need to work on my left hand to day, I need to work on my inside power step.
Speaker 2: So whenever I.
Speaker 4: Get these opportunities, which a few I do, and we don't know what Dak is working on. We don't know what him and the receivers are working on. So I be patient out here in training camp.
Speaker 2: That just nake. That's just my opinion.
Speaker 3: And a lot of times when the quarter looking at it and he's thinking, Okay, this is a fifty to fifty opportunity. He's gonna throw the ball, he's gonna give It's practice, right, you try to test yourself on fitting into a small target or give the receiver a chance to make a nice play. Now, what didn't get reported the whole time are the two times that Dak burned Trayvon Diggs on deep passes that would have been a touchdown. One to Michael Gallup that Digs must have gambled on because he was opened by ten yards.
Speaker 2: Yes, you were right.
Speaker 3: And then there was one to Cook's on a deep ball that he beat Digs. So no one talks about those. It's just like the field goals where we started, right, Yeah, It's like, well we talk about the Missus bute he made eleven out eleven, big deal. Well how many times does Dak connect on a deep pass that ends up being a touchdown and Digs is beaten?
Speaker 2: But he's making nice players. That's good, right. This is a team thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you get it's competition all the time. And Dak is a great player and Diggs is a great player. Ceedee Lambers coming into his own getting up on that status. So you know, Cooks is smooth, and so you know, like I said, I look at here and I take practice with a grain of salt because situational football out here is a little bit different in the game. If he was doing this in the game, you believe me, we would all be in an uproar. But this is not a game. This is practice where he's trying to better himself. And believe me, I talked to Dak yesterday. He knows and sees and hears all. Yeah, he's very aware and but he but he also understands that he has to get better at what he's doing. And sometimes out here, yes, you take that chance, all right.
Speaker 2: That's Nate Newton.
Speaker 3: Mickey Spagnola more on Cowboys' training camp coming up on mix Shots.
Speaker 5: I'm Duk Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas cow Boys. Blockchain dot com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few taps away put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life for cryptopros, rookies.
Speaker 2: And anyone in between.
Speaker 5: Blockchain dot Com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com trusted by millions, Trust it by America's team.
Speaker 6: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 7: Star Sports Tools is the only efficient fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tailed gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x'es and ods with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 8: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing. Pepsi baby, the yin to this Burger's Yang. Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of lettuce, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice cooled Kola a journey to foutopia. Burgers better with pepsi. That's what I like.
Speaker 9: To Mixed shots.
Speaker 3: K Post Roofing and Waterproofing, the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys. And we continue on mix shots presented by Miller Lite, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Nate It says, it's Miller time. Yeah, man, I'm drinking my coffee. I'm drinking my water.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just kind of.
Speaker 4: Gave up drinking maybe eight nine years ago, and I've had enough Miller. I've had enough Miller to cover three or four people.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 3: And we continue here on mix shots out in Oxnard, California, where we had a little runaway shower this morning tennis courts. But it rained enough, there's puddles on the tennis court.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, it's flatland. I had saw it holds water. It holds what a libit they get. It holds for a minute. I mean even it feels the damp.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I bet the fields liked it, right. Yeah, they're like man, sort of like home.
Speaker 3: The only water the grass gets is what comes out of the ground that is into it. When it was the last time it rained back home.
Speaker 2: Man, wild is cursed.
Speaker 4: I mean we've had it go all the way up to the edge of Murphy and it's like you see say Wiley City limits and down a dropping rain is on that side. I'd be like, wow, we cursed baby. On the other side of the yeah, stays on the Murphy then jump over and goes to Lake.
Speaker 3: Levon anything else in practice that jumped out at you yesterday.
Speaker 4: I just need make for our offensive line to set the temple. The first two days of padded practice, they set the temple. But lately here it's been the defense that is set in the temple.
Speaker 2: And once again I talked to Dan Quinn, Well.
Speaker 4: I don't really talk to I shoot little statements out and he'll throw them back and we'll keep walking right, I said, coach, first few days, I was worried about the defense.
Speaker 2: And see these last three. What has happened.
Speaker 4: Have you been cussing them out, talking to them hard, saying whatever?
Speaker 2: He said?
Speaker 4: No, nay, they just understand as we put the system in and put little tweaks in, it may not look good at first, but as they go over and over, they get better and faster, and so their tempo has been set in the practice tempo. You notice, even in pressure when it's linebackers and everybody's in and Dak has got so many seconds to get it out, it's four reps before we can get into any type rhythm.
Speaker 2: We cannot have that. You're practicing wrong.
Speaker 4: What we need to be able to do as offensive line is to make sure our quarterback is not backpedaling while he's throwing those first few reps, so he can get confident and confidence in the front his receivers because they do seven on seven, red zone seven on seven.
Speaker 2: And he's he's.
Speaker 4: He's sharp, but then when he's getting he gets into the team aspect of it, sometimes he's not as sharp and he uh and he's.
Speaker 2: A little bit off kilcher because that pressure, the front.
Speaker 4: Now, I understand that number eleven can probably go right over there to Minnesota wreck they practice go through Washington and wreck there. I know who number eleven is. But we're trying to have leakage from the middle, too, So our guys in the middle have to be very confident in what they're doing because Coach Lowry's doing a.
Speaker 2: Great job of teaching them technique.
Speaker 4: When you have a great player, and I'll use Leon Lett, he was my nemesis. His arms was this much longer than mine, and so I always struggled with him. But I believed in my technique that if I work my technique, work my technique and fight him as hard as I can, I would I would get better. And at what time I did get better. So these guys, I'm telling him, just keep working your technique, keep fighting, and it'll change over, you know, so you can so our quarter back can feel good, so our tackles cannot have to play two ways, the inside and the outside. They could just play for the outside. So I'm praying it will get better. I'm playing that Coach Cillari with all of his energy, will get it in these young guys' mind.
Speaker 2: And and preseason is big.
Speaker 4: We don't know who I start in our inside right guard is. We don't know who that guy is right now, we don't know who's the swing tackle is. So this is big for these young guys. And I know that these coaches are being honest with them, like fellas, we need for y'all to be the best you can be.
Speaker 3: So at one point yesterday without Zach Martin here, and then at one point they were they didn't go heavy with Tyron and Tyler out on the left side right, so they were giving them sort of a break. And then Beyondish hurts his ankle. Yes, and I'm looking out there and it's like four of the five offensive linemen on the first team were basically backups because you've got Ball working at right guard in place of Zach Martin.
Speaker 2: The only starter out there at one point was Steel.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I'm sitting there going, well, no wonder there's pressure on Dak because a couple one of those deep balls, actually two of them, there were people in his face and if it was a game, he probably would have thrown the ball away. But these guys, it was like okay, now good and bad bad that it kind of messes up practice. Because you're going against the Cowboys defensive starters. But good that these guys are getting reps because, as you say, they've got to figure out who's the backup guard, who's the backup center, who's the backup tackle, And these guys are getting a lot.
Speaker 2: Of reps out there.
Speaker 3: I was going to ask you about one guy that caught my eye.
Speaker 2: It was there.
Speaker 3: I think he was the fifth round pick. Awesome, awesome Richard's you.
Speaker 4: Oh, you're talking about them a seventy six left guard, right. Uh.
Speaker 2: He.
Speaker 4: The thing with these young guys is they have never dealt with this type speed. Especially the guys are just as big as them, much more knowledgeable at this time, so they're they're not used to the speed. So when I when I whenever I see mister Richards struggle, just much like.
Speaker 2: Smith did. What's that Tyler? Tyler Tyler did last year?
Speaker 4: Speed speed will always get you because that's where technique has to come in. And so he's doing okay. Uh t J Bass is doing okay. You know, people's eyes saw him get through on his neck. Everybody get through on their neck as rookies the majority of the time, unless you was a Tyron Smith you didn't get through on your neck. So, uh, everybody goes to it. Everybody gets knocked over. Everybody it has to learn that, Okay, what I did at Nebraska ain't happening here in Dallas Cowboys football camp.
Speaker 2: What I have to do is be a better technician. Keep behind. They can do. But I caution.
Speaker 4: Everybody until the second preseason game.
Speaker 2: Don't start judging.
Speaker 4: These guys because the first preseason game they're gonna see the speed because all of the other great players around the league, young or old, is gonna be in there.
Speaker 2: They're gonna get a full blast of the speed.
Speaker 4: Now they're trying to figure it out why they're trying to go wide open. So the players are gonna be simple. They're gonna let you try to use your athletic ability. Then the next preseason game you'll be like, Okay, no matter who it is, you know the speed of it. Now you feel free in the heart to play. It's a growing process, man.
Speaker 3: So with those young guys that are out there, I've noticed that, Uh, they've moved Josh Ball from tackle to guard. Yes, and he seems to be acclimating a little bit better.
Speaker 2: Now. It's hard, I mean he's but still space kills some guys.
Speaker 4: And I give you a perfect example, all of you true Cowboy fans.
Speaker 2: That know the history a little bit.
Speaker 4: Kevin Gogan started out as a right tackle right and they moved him into right guard because space kills you. People don't understand the foot work between a tackle and a guard. You can get guys like the President, Zack Martin, you can get Larry Allen, guys like that, who's just so gifted athletically gifted. But then you get guys like Eric Williams left tackle. It wasn't nice right tackle. He couldn't be stopped. He was premier.
Speaker 2: He was it.
Speaker 4: So everybody don't fit everywhere. And that's that's why I'm cautious when people start saying, well, just put him over that left guard.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. When you have a Taylor A Tyler Smith, I'm pronouncing that right, Tyler Tyler. I don't know why I hate.
Speaker 4: That they both on the same side, but anyway, I mean, I like that they on the same side, but the names get me. You're fortunate that you got a guy that you drive in the first round that can play both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he can play both.
Speaker 4: Positions and probably would be good over time, equally good for a number of years at both positions. But one day it's gonna come a time where he ain't gonna be good at both, and so we have to find out which one he is best at. Let him get good at that and stick another guy in there, because we're forgetting about funny act.
Speaker 3: Yes, and they're trying to figure out is he the backup center or is he the backup guard?
Speaker 2: He's both.
Speaker 4: I'm beginning to believe this right here if I don't see vast improvement, because even might, I have to remind myself I cannot.
Speaker 2: Judge right now, Ball or Well.
Speaker 4: I cannot judge these guys until they have been given an opportunity to play right Wellsco.
Speaker 2: Has to play right tackle and has.
Speaker 4: To get two preseason games in Josh Ball has to get two preseason games now. If they're giving them a only two, no to give these guys a half this first game and then the next game. Give them a half, Let them get in a rhythm, let them play, because if you don't and they just get touches of.
Speaker 2: It, then get get out.
Speaker 4: They haven't learned that, they haven't got no muscle memory. They can't they can see it on film, but they buy it and really get.
Speaker 2: A chance to fit it right.
Speaker 4: And so we got to give these guys a chance to fit it. So we may not see a lot of TJ. Bass, a lot of richardson that the first the first game, but the second game we may see more of them because if these two guys are spoken earlier, say looking good, You're like, okay, they getting it now. We can take them out early and get these guys a chance.
Speaker 3: And that's a good tease for where we're going with our next segment. Guys to watch coming up in Saturday's preseason game against Jacksonville four pm eight and T Stadium will do that next here on mix Shots.
Speaker 6: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 5: I'm Doug Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few taps away put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life.
Speaker 2: For crypto pros, rookies.
Speaker 5: And anyone in between, blockchain dot com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com trusted by millions, Trust it by America's team.
Speaker 10: Hey Cowboys fans, ready to spice up your next watch party? Bring Yo Kierro guacamole and be the game day hero.
Speaker 2: Yo Kiro means I want and we know you want.
Speaker 10: Great fresh tasting, ready to serve guacamole for your homegating and tailgating events. Made with real avocados and the perfect blend of spices, it will be the star of any party. You can find us at your local Albertsons or tom Thumb in the Delhi section. If you can't find it, talk to your store manager and tell them Yo Kiero, Yo Kiero. Guacamole.
Speaker 7: Star Sports Tools is the only efficient fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk ex's and o's with me Everson Wallas. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package.
Speaker 9: Today to Nicked Shuntz, do you eat, sleep, and breathe Dallas Cowboys Football, tell us how you spice up the game for a chance to be named the twenty twenty three Cowboys Fan of the Year, present it by Captain Morgan and win exclusive prizes.
Speaker 2: Plus he tripped to the Super Bowl. What plus the trip to Super Bowl fifty eight. I'm gonna nominate myself or another.
Speaker 4: Today at Dallascowboys dot sash Fan of the Year. I'm telling you I'm the biggest fan beside.
Speaker 2: Well Mike Irvin. I nominate him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so yeah, do this fan of the Year twenty twenty three, brought to you by Captain Morgan.
Speaker 2: Take a shot, Mick.
Speaker 3: And that's Nate Newton at his best here mix shots. We got a few minutes left, and we're gonna get you ready for Saturday's preseason game at at and T Stadium against Jacksonville. The Cowboys are treating that as an away game the way they would. They'll take off on Friday, go to the game Saturday, and return to Oxnard immediately after the game, which is one of the reasons why the game's starting at four o'clock, so we can get back here at a decent time, like maybe midnight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they'll be off that Sunday to get a good rest and be ready for probably a padded practice Monday.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's just Nate and Mick talking.
Speaker 3: All right, So we're gonna give you a few guys, uh, to keep an eye on, maybe younger guys. Nate brought up John Stevens earlier in the show, rookie undrafted free agent from Louisiana.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, it used to be you La La right, yeah, tight ends.
Speaker 4: But my question is Ferguson won't play, will you think Luke I don't think he may not play.
Speaker 2: Peyton Henners shot may not play.
Speaker 4: So we're looking at Sean McKeon, John Stevens, Princeton Fan and Seth Green those are the guys. But I'm looking at Stevens and h Fant. These two guys gonna do.
Speaker 3: And Stevens is interesting, Uh, he was. He was a wide receiver, yes, at Louisiana. And what turned it over? What's what's his dimensions? Yes, he's probably about six four six five.
Speaker 2: To forty nine.
Speaker 4: Jan Stevens tight end six six two forty five, twenty three years of age, rookie Louisiana on.
Speaker 2: Drafted free agent twenty three.
Speaker 3: And he told me because I was when I see him out here, I mean he keeps flashing right yeah, and he's big right right, And I'm going, how did you end up at Louisiana And he said, well, I had offers from TCU, Arizona State and Florida State, but the guy that he was following was Billy Napier and he was going to Louisiana be the head coach.
Speaker 2: Now he ended up I think getting hired somewhere in Florida.
Speaker 3: One of the Florida schools anyway, he went to Louisiana for that and uh so, but there's something I mean, they may not play him much.
Speaker 2: They probably want.
Speaker 3: To get him on the practice squad, So keep an eye on that.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Another guy that I'm gonna be interested in is Eric Scott, the sixth round draft joy, the first pick in the sixth round from Southern Mississippi.
Speaker 4: It's too many of these guys to like tight ends. It was easy. Too many of these guys take up the whole show, right.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: I haven't been paying a lot of attention to these guys for thirty seven.
Speaker 2: Is Scott got right? Right? He is nice.
Speaker 4: I've seen him get beat, recover, I've seen him put hands on people off the line and do and do a tremendous job. I think coach Harris is kind of staying even killed with this kid, because when you see this type of talent that's flashing, you want to get hyped up. But wide receivers and corners and even and offensive tackles, out of all the positions in preseason, they get the most ups and downs because one minute you're looking good at tackling, you know, gave up a sack. That don't mean you're bad one minute, you know, you know, shut a goy down, you know, and the next minute's a b. So the range and emotions are big, so you got to see how these guys work through it. I like this kid. I haven't talked much about him, but I just want to see. Like dran Bland last year, I told Mick, I say, this kid should be starting. I think he should really push Lewis and my other guy he's no longer with us, my home buff from Tampa that I said, this ship kid should be fighting for a starting job. Well, blow and be whole. Lot of two guys got hurt and now he is the shark.
Speaker 2: He had to play, right. They don't know if Scott is that good? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you know what the neat thing about him was is with Diggs missing some of the otash and Gilmore no needing to put him out there over, they had Scott working with the first.
Speaker 2: Team, yes defense, and he made plays.
Speaker 3: The other guy that's caught their eyes Jan Yer Thomas, the safety number thirty.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen much of him, so I can't come here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's he's he's getting opportunity. Him and Bell at that safety position, especially with Donovan Wilson is out, so keep an eye on number thirty. And a guy that I just thought he was kind of here here, but he's a he's a fourth year veteran Sheldrick RedWine, okay, and he's made some plays and he was one of the guys that put a lick on someone in one of the practices, so scirmished. Yeah, And I was thinking, I was thinking, well, this guy's undrafted for you.
Speaker 2: Now he's got three years of.
Speaker 3: Experience, so I'll keep an eye on him. And then I guess we have to. I mean, obviously the running backs, right, the young running backs.
Speaker 4: Per me for me, No, for me is Dontal and it's Malik Davis that is for me. And now where the other kiddu Von fits in, he fits in. But if Tony comes back to form anywhere near twenty two touches, whether it's past run, no more than twenty two touches, you only have six or eight more snaps. Now it's coming to who's the better third down back, who is willing to sacrifice his body to pick up a leaking offensive linemen are blitzing safety or blitzing linebacker. If you can find that guy, between Davis and Donald. We got our guys. We got our guys, and I don't induce fun, sir. I wasn't happy when they when they drafted you. But I see you're not a gadget back. I don't like gadget backs. Donald can be a gadget back. Davis can be. This guy can run the football, and that's what I want with somebody that can run the football and that can block a leak out of the backfield to help Dak with a with an outlet pass.
Speaker 2: I like football players, not gadget players.
Speaker 3: Well, I would imagine he's gonna get a good look.
Speaker 2: He's had some runs out here that you go, oh, look at that. He saw it at k State.
Speaker 3: Yes, uh, and uh we've seen him catch the ball.
Speaker 2: He catches it awfully. Well.
Speaker 3: He's five five, yes, but he's always been five five.
Speaker 2: His calves is probably Why is your body trump now? Please? Y'all, y'all are that a vertically challenge? This is no knock. Well.
Speaker 4: I saw him sitting up in a sitting in a chair, not sitting up, sitting in a chair, and he was talking to Nick Eatman, and I said, well.
Speaker 2: Who is that guy? They said, that's fun.
Speaker 4: Everything about him says man, right, you know everything about him body wise, he's just vertically challenged, Like you know, I was slimly challenged, you know what I'm saying. So if that's a word, I don't know if how you say fat challenge? Yeah, so he's every bit of a man. So hey, let's see.
Speaker 3: Okay, and there's another guy on the offensive line that I think needs to prove something, uh Tuma Adoga.
Speaker 2: They've got him out at tackle.
Speaker 3: They're looking for a backup tackle, and I would imagine he's getting a lot of snaps, but I just see sometimes he's a little slow out there.
Speaker 2: Am I being too polite? You know what, sir?
Speaker 4: We brought you in here because you've had more than one year in the league, right, and I expect a little bit better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like we had a guy here a couple of years ago.
Speaker 4: He wasn't a great practice player, but he found a way to get through games.
Speaker 2: So I just want to see what we got to see him right now. There'll be number seventy.
Speaker 4: One, yea, so maybe he'll he maybe when this when his lights come on, Yeah, he a different guy, That's what I'm hoping for.
Speaker 2: If not. Then I got to pray that, well.
Speaker 4: Let's go really really picks it up, because we need that swing tackle because Tyron is older and I love Tyrone and he told me the other day, say, I'm play every play as hard as I can, as long as I can nate, but them days to start to end, and so, uh, we need a swing tackle.
Speaker 2: We need one desperately.
Speaker 3: Well to me, if something happens to Tyron, yes, Tyler Smith's your left right, and then you got to find me a guard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, we got it. Number sixty eight, Yeah, Infarniac. Yeah, that's that's our guy, right, that's see me.
Speaker 4: I'm not I'm not wishing for the moon because we don't have that much Sarah cap and we don't have a trade and we don't have a Sarah cap enough to go out and get that elite guy.
Speaker 2: So it's extra offense.
Speaker 4: So we don't have enough in the draft capital are enough money, so.
Speaker 2: We have to deal with what we have.
Speaker 3: Develop Yes, Okay, one more guy before we have to go. Number eighty three, Jalen Brooks, the wide receiver.
Speaker 4: If he if he turned out to be one of those camp highlights. And this is one guy I'm banking on that is gonna be our fifth receiver. He can play special teams and he's willingly playing special team. He is our fifth receiver and if anybody go down, he can play all three positions. All he would need now is the experience.
Speaker 3: And he's a larger receiver. I think he's six ' three six four.
Speaker 2: I don't know what he is. He's this loan yeah you know.
Speaker 3: And somebody put this on him and I was like, well, don't do that to this guy. They say, well, he's the next Noah Brown. He right now is a better receiver than Noah Brown.
Speaker 4: We are so quick to say who is Somebody looks just because he's big.
Speaker 2: Oh, he can block.
Speaker 3: And I always say I don't want my wide receivers to have to block.
Speaker 2: Let that be something that is a reward.
Speaker 4: And what I mean by that is if you block real, well, then we'll throw your extra ball. If you catch the ball, you have a blocking is not what I'm getting.
Speaker 2: You get open and catch the ball.
Speaker 4: Give it to get open and catch the ball.
Speaker 3: All right, Well you remember that when you're watching the game on Saturday four pm at and T Stadium. Get open and catch the ball and hopefully. Nate Newton and Mickey Spagnola here on mix Shots got open today and caught the show, right, that's right, all right. We will see you again next Monday from Oxnard, California. And have a good Wednesday, Fane Nate Newton.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.