Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal. I'm that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for a day? Edith State is that woo woom? And Dan and Tye.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Cliburba, boys and girls. My name is ty Hildebrand, joining me as always a fine gentleman. My friend, my colleague, my co host is many years over there in New York City. His name is Dan Rubinstein. Sir, how are you, Ty?
Speaker 1: I'm wonderful. I am. I actually, even with not a ton of sleep, I had a very good day yesterday as a human being. And yesterday's full slate, full schedule, full jam packed, picnic basket of action was it was rejuvenating to me. Yeah, some way. I really enjoyed my day yesterday. Yeah. Absolutely. You know what it felt like, Ty, I thought about this last night as it was all happening and Michigan was losing. In Oklahoma I had already lost, and Florida LSU came down to the wire and there was just there was action all over the place, some of it chaotic, some of it chaotic, Excuse me, some of it fun. It was like the night before the mcallisters left. Yeah, exactly home alone, exactly fuller was pee in the bed, there was milk spilled on the pizza. Uncle Frank is yelling at people. It was it was. What I loved was that when the tarantula got out. I don't know if the transla got out that night, but it may have. Yeah, the jar may have tipped over, the terrarium might have opened up something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, close games all throughout the day. A good week college football. Hello, welcome, Thank you for downloading. You can find us at iTunes, dot com, Slash soliverbo out on Apple Podcasts. We're also on Spotify and Google Play. Had some folks tune into the Facebook Live page today, Facebook Live broadcast, I should say at Facebook dot Com.
Speaker 1: Didn't delete this time. We're good today, We're good today.
Speaker 2: I actually had a semi professional looking set up, so I was excited about Bill, but I got the weird voice thing, the voice thing, sorry it starts thing. Yeah, it started cutting out of me towards the end, my voice, So I had to go back in conclave afterwards and rest it and drink some water and honey.
Speaker 1: And tea. Oh this is this is an analog thing. You didn't start your like the Facebook audio feed didn't start warping your voice?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, this was the time a biological issue. So I got that squared away. I think I'm good to go now. Uh, but yeah, we're all. We got a newsletter out there. You can subscribe to check us out if you're just joining. Thank you for downloading. We've got a rather robust slate of games and topics to go through here in our week six review, Dan, I did see that out on Instagram.
Speaker 1: You you had a visitor. I did have a visitor. Did you happen to catch that? I did? Mister Adam amean How is he? Adam is great? So he pulls double duty. He does a Thursday or Friday game I think generally just Fridays now late night for ESPN. Hebviously called the Wazoo USC upset a couple of weeks ago. But he also on Sundays does ESPN Radio and is in town for the New York Football Giants. I think they're playing the Chargers. Yeah, I don't know. He came by the studio to watch late games because he's in town and he acknowledged that beefy is the word beefy to use in any and all scenarios. And he could not be a nicer human being and is just through and through Verballer.
Speaker 2: Did we talk to him about our potential securities fraud that we had conjured up? No, we did not. Damn I got to break that to him slowly. Well, let's get started where we always do. Here on the solid verbal four waight verbal one, the reverb line. Our boy Taylor is back from parts unknown. Yes, here are your calls.
Speaker 3: This is Jeff in Chicago. I just watched Iowa State and Joel Lanning feed Oklahoma, and all I can say is whoa, whoa, whoa, there's a dude alert.
Speaker 1: This is Adam Scott calling from down Onto. This is Tela from Tabby Allen, Georgia.
Speaker 2: Hi, this is Rob from West Virginia.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's Richard in Spain. Soonering term when you are highly ranked, predicted to roll at home and you borrow it to the home over the side, Clones goes.
Speaker 1: We think through the planes, ioways say gets the job done in the Big twelve is in chalk.
Speaker 3: Thanks to the juic Hill houses.
Speaker 1: Alan Lazards cyclone cyclone, cyclone.
Speaker 3: Oi Oi Oi. Don't look now, but it looks like Kenny Hill is a dude and being a Mountaineer fan.
Speaker 1: The second years off My Life.
Speaker 3: Texas is definitely the Sadoku square that you keep erasing and writing a different number because you can't quite figure out what they are.
Speaker 1: Miss Kelly, a k State fan in Austin, Texas.
Speaker 3: I like Texas better when they were getting beaten by the other Kansas Alabama.
Speaker 2: You are the single cruelest team in college football. You had to get A and M hope and then just snatch it away from them. Sure do you hope?
Speaker 3: The rebellious land shark bear of all missed.
Speaker 1: Don't let the back door cover hit him on the way out or Legal and Vandy just got mad. So I'll be the first to fledge five dollars in a used Domino's gift card to the buyout of Brett Bielama.
Speaker 2: I am susche five and one in c State wolf Back, straight Up.
Speaker 1: Boom Doogging, Lamar, Jackson and Louisville.
Speaker 3: I was riding over to the State Louisville game listening to the preview show and heard Time talking about how Louisville was going to beat the Pack by like two hundred some points.
Speaker 1: Don't think so, brother.
Speaker 3: Do we have a secret decent Virginia situation on our hands?
Speaker 2: Neer?
Speaker 3: The play calling for North Carolina on its own one yard line was so bad it's making me rethink my own life choices. I don't care if it's raining sideways or in the monsoon. That fourteen to ten games so boring? I am dumber for having watched it?
Speaker 1: Is Michigan secret garbage? Is it too early to say that.
Speaker 2: Morten Schluger sounds like something that in my college years I would have taken a shut of at the Chaillgate.
Speaker 3: And I don't think you can put into any better words where Nebraska's program is at.
Speaker 1: Then when an entire bar.
Speaker 3: Full of their fans see ten or Lee throw out the pass and every one of them screams, oh no, you can't just roll your book down the Wabash River and think you can beat Indiana's once your team, the Purdue Boilermakers.
Speaker 1: Is it just me? Or is ESPN a little butter about this whole late kick pack? Twelve things?
Speaker 3: Did you ever notice that Mike Peach looks like a blirted Teete Carroll.
Speaker 1: It made me feel better.
Speaker 3: Go down. Can we talk for one second about the name of Stamford's face kicker, jet Toner got to be the best name in college football.
Speaker 2: Bring out that old silver eye upon it, and we'll open up another teke of peer more beer.
Speaker 1: Because we all came to college, but we didn't govern.
Speaker 3: There. We'll go out and undefeated in conference place.
Speaker 2: There you have it, a oh Man, nice little rendition. There a lively batch of week six calls. Thank you to everyone who dialed in. I heard Adam Scott from down Under. I'm wondering if we've got a listener in the professional golf ranks, Dan never know.
Speaker 1: Is Adam Scott Australian or South African? No, He's Australian. Are you sure? I am dead positive.
Speaker 2: Okay, that sounded like an authentic Australian accent there.
Speaker 1: That's true. Adam Scott is Australian. I defer to you. So where do we want to start here?
Speaker 2: I've I've got many thoughts on what we experienced in week six?
Speaker 1: What was Let's start here. There were a couple upsets.
Speaker 2: There were a couple games that I think caused us to raise our collective eyebrows. What was the most shocking thing that you saw in Week six?
Speaker 1: Probably Iowa Stay with a third string quarterback and a linebacker slash quarterback going on the road as thirty point dogs and beating a top three team. Let's start there, shall we. I think that's pretty large. And also that conference had at least one crazy overtime game in Texa Kansas State, and a huge game in TCU West Virginia. So yeah, let's respect the Southwest. Let's respect the Southwest.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about Iowa State thirty eight, Oklahoma thirty one. The Clones Dan. They fought back. They were down early, fourteen to nil, and then they chipped away. They chipped away. They tied it at.
Speaker 1: Twenty four all late in the third quarter.
Speaker 2: They went ahead early in the quarter and sealed the deal on a twenty five yard pass from third string quarterback Kyle Kempt to give Iowa State a seven point win.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you a question, just just answer. If you know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: If you do, let me tell you something. T I've got that answer for you. Who caught that touchdown pass?
Speaker 1: That'd be your all, your your very own Duke, Duke of Hazzard, Alan Lizard.
Speaker 2: I saw you tweeted that out, Duke of Hazzard, Alan Lazard. Give it credit words due? Yeah, Does it mean that you're now on board with the nickname you tweeted it out? Not me?
Speaker 1: Right, No, that's one hundred percent true. I think so. I haven't given his nickname any more thoughts since we originally did our twelve preview because you tried to pooh pooh it. You tried. I don't think it, Ty, I don't think. I think it's a loveless marriage between me and this nickname. We're I'm in it because it's you know, we're paying a mortgage, we've got kids, and we both like the same order from the tie place. But that's th h you.
Speaker 2: Can you can justify it however you want. Yeah, but you got it. My nicknames are inception level catchy.
Speaker 1: Okay, m hmm.
Speaker 2: It's next to you on the plane, it's invading your dreams. It's urging you to break up your father's company. That's what I do, Dan, I come up.
Speaker 1: With stuff like that. It's the cholera of nicknames. That's right, thank you.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Anyway, let's give a shout out since it is obviously very due. We talked about the Duke of Hazzard Allen Lazard, but let's give our dude alert to Joel Lanning.
Speaker 1: Last year he played quarterback.
Speaker 2: You mentioned this briefly here in our little run through, but played quarterback last year for Iowa State. In the offseason, he converts to linebacker. In this game, he pulled the Sunshine Ronnie Bass and played both ways. Eight tackles, a sack at a fumble recovery on defense, and then sixty total yards on offense as well. What's interesting to me about this game. This is not a question of Oklahoma's offense doing anything to shoot itself in the foot. The offense always comes to play the.
Speaker 1: Players anyway, the play calling.
Speaker 2: Perhaps frankly, this was Oklahoma's defense dropping the ball. Yeah, because Iowa State played very well in the trenches. They moved the ball pretty consistently against Oklahoma's defense. Their defense, the Sooners did not come to play in this one. That's what ultimately felled them.
Speaker 1: I would say even more than just sort of coming to play and being pretty good, I would stay it averaged I think somewhere in the neighborhood of like fourteen or fifteen yards per pass attempt. They went straight at Oklahoma and they did not revise the game plan at all. Without Jacob Park this was Kyle Kempt looking into the teeth or gums of the Oklahoma defense and throwing into it, spreading the ball around. David Montgomery had a great all purpose day. Trevor Ryan was good. You know, the duke of Lazard, Alan Lazard. It still hurts me to say it had the huge catch at the end. But this was an Iowa State team that was not at all phased by a quarterback change and played. I mean, what did they outscore Oklahoma? I'm seeing twenty five to seven in the second half. That's a hell of an efforts. Hi, that's a well coached team. They've got the most. It's so fun to see that. That's all I'm saying. Oklahoma I think will be fine. But it was. It was high entertainment and just the TV that I thought it was going to be at the beginning of the season.
Speaker 2: We really did drop the ball though, for not noticing that the Red River shootout is on deck and we could have totally played up the look ahead angle that could have been like our one shining moment here.
Speaker 1: In the week six.
Speaker 2: But from that fortuna of the Stuart Mandel led All American venture, that's how I prefer to the All American venture, the All American venture, that's how I prefer to reference it. This is now the seventh straight year that Oklahoma has lost a game in which it was a double digit favorite.
Speaker 1: Not good, not good. Somebody I saw what did I say? I saw?
Speaker 2: Little game Lincoln? Yeah, I mean so mean, and we do not adhere to it. Good win for Iowa State on the road. Nice win for Matt Campbell to build upon. And we'll see what Oklahoma does next week. I look forward to overreacting and taking Texas straight up. But we've got a few more dates before we before we come to that conclusion. While we are talking Big twelve, let's talk about why that Oklahoma result was so significant. There are all the obvious reasons, and then there's this one. TCU thirty one West Virginia twenty four, A big win for TCU in a very close game, back and forth down the stretch.
Speaker 1: It might be time. Is it time I go.
Speaker 2: Back and forth? Is it time to bring back the Kenny Trill nickname. No, this is a new this is ken Hill, Ken Hill version Ken Hill because he scored not once, not twice, but thrice, one throwing, when running, one receiving on that throwback pass in the fourth quarter which kind of gave him the lead. Did you know the second time that's ever happened in the history of the Big Twelve.
Speaker 1: I did not know that. But it's tight. It's October. This is it has to be a new ken Hill because he's not performing, he's not making plays in the same way that he did in only September, but it has bled into uh into October. We've had We've had novembert right. Yeah, somebody suggested Croctober, which slowly getting on ken Toberfest. Ken Toberfest. Yes, that too.
Speaker 2: No turnovers for TCU. Kenny Hill tried, Lord knows he tried in this game. It was not his cleanest effort in the world. But like we said on Wednesday, and it's important, it needs to be re emphasized that TCU was not beating itself right now, and when you've got big games against solid competition like West Virginia, that that stands for something. When you don't beat yourself. We'd also be remiss if we didn't at least show a little bit of love for our boy Billy Greer wild Yeah him, justin Crawford. David Sills, who decidedly is not a tight end. Like I said for whatever reason on the Wednesday Show, David Sills is a wide receiver. He now has nine touchdowns in five games. He caught two against TCU, and look the part, every bit the part.
Speaker 1: It just was not meant to be down the stretch.
Speaker 2: TCU got the job done on that fun play from Cavante turpin back across the field to ken Hill and they win by seven.
Speaker 1: I'd say, dicey OPI on that David Sills.
Speaker 2: Play a little bit Yeah, not terribly sure about that call, but yes you are correct and everything you say.
Speaker 1: And not a great all around performance from TCU. I think West Virginia scare them out of running the ball. They were blitzing a ton and TCU abandoned the run for big stretches in this game. Will Greer or excuse me, Billy greor Bell gre or whatever did a very good job escaping the grasp of a lot of TCU defenders up front. I was I was thoroughly impressed by a number of plays in this game, and TCU did enough to win, which is what we think pretty good teams should be able to do.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, they're not beating themselves, which again a very important point. They are now one of two undefeated teams in Big Twelve Conference play. The other is Texas, who won an overtime game. We'll get to that one in just a little bit here. I do want to shift to the nightcap though, where I believe Jody with an Eye was in attendance.
Speaker 1: Am I right? Oh? She was and not super happy, both with the result on the field and with losing her poncho right before the game. Oh no, yeah, ooh soaked.
Speaker 2: Is there anything more hopeless than having one of those clear plastic ponchos in the middle of a torrential downpour? Because they don't, would I would say not having by the looks of things.
Speaker 1: Yeah? Wow, what day for monsoon games? Yesterday?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: We had the Notre Dame UNC one mm hmm. We had Michigan Michigan State.
Speaker 2: We had the eighty eight minute rain delay in West Lafayette between Purdue and Minnesota. So yeah, the mother nature had something. It was working out on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Midwestern happiness.
Speaker 2: Michigan State fourteen Michigan ten. Another game that was very clearly not an offensive clinic to say the least. This was Big ten football. You had a lot of defense, you had the dicey weather. You had to kick it in the gougeon and the mud and the blood and the beer. That's what this one came down to. Michigan State now eight and two in their last ten games since Mike Hart referred to them as quote a little brother den.
Speaker 1: It feels like that's very old, but at the same time it feels very new and relevant. Never gets old. So Michigan fans are feeling some things today, and they're not totally wrong about disappointment with the offense and execution and inability to perhaps shift strategy when it starts raining cats and dogs. I just the idea of going into that game with whatever you were planning on, if you're Michigan's offensive coaching staff, seeing it rain a ton, seeing your team turn it over a bunch and start and stop pull running backs after they succeed a little bit, and thinking to yourself, what if we had John o'corn throw at thirty five. What if hear me out, now, hold on, what if we had John o'corn throw it nearly forty times, we've gotten into double digits. What if am I cry?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: So that wasn't great. That wasn't great. But a lot of credit to Michigan's State for locking down, taking advantage. They didn't score in the second half and still won. They held on late, you know, an unfortunate drop from I believe it was Eddie McDoom with a Michigan State dB doing the choking sign thing in the background. Michigan needs to take a good hard look at their offense. I don't think the expectations were huge for this Michigan offense coming into the year. But as soon as you get to the point where you're your four, oh, you're in a two October, then all of a sudden, you're just like, well, I guess we've got it all figured out. Yeah, and game day with Johnny okay, Game day with John Okay. And turns out, sometimes succeeding against Purdue is not everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they turned it over five times at home at night in the rain against their in state rival. That's why Michigan State won. Michigan State for their part, by the way, was not exactly gangbusters on offense. They didn't turn it over, but they were just two of fourteen on third downs. They had under one hundred yards passing eleven penalties. Both teams are now in this weird gray area where they're four and one, and I question how good either of them actually are. Michigan still has Penn State, Wisconsin and Ohio State left. Michigan State has both Penn State and Ohio State. So we're going to find out here as the season progresses and just works itself out naturally, but very clearly offense for both of these schools is going to be an issue. We're going to have to hope. Somebody asked me on the Facebook live video that I did this morning, if you're a Michigan fan, what should be your new expectations? How should we revise these downwards? I don't know if you should revise them downwards per se. They shouldn't have been that high because your new offense is going to be an issue. But moving forward, I just think you want to see some progression on offense, whether it's John o'corner anybody else playing quarterback. I saw Wilton spate might have broken three vertebrates and.
Speaker 1: Be out for the year.
Speaker 2: Whoever is playing offense, you want to see some progression. That should be your new expectations. That's what you should shoot for at this point.
Speaker 1: Here's what I'm assuming after yesterday's Wisconsin game, Penn State game, Ohio State game. Here's what I'm assuming the maybe quieter or maybe louder sentiment is within the Big Ten office. I am assuming it goes somewhere along the lines of really hope Ohio State's good, Really hope Ohio State's actually good. Yeah, you're right, because Penn State for a half against Northwestern defensively, Penn State isn't a great place. You claim they're not super deep. You would know better than I. But they're led by their defense. Wisconsin's led by their defense and running game. But there's inconsistencies with both of those offenses. Now, you know, the Michigan offense has sort of come to pass to be inconsistent and disappointing that the Big Tens, at least right now, confidence or at least hope should be with Ohio State because I'm not fully sold on either. We'll we'll get to that. The penn State offense or Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that in a little bit here. I have many thoughts, many thoughts. I think let's go too excited, Let's go to Miami twenty four Florida State twenty. I'm gonna call this one a front door cover. I love that sound, I love the doorbell. I'm gonna play it even if it doesn't classify as a true front door cover. An offensive clinic. This one was also not Dan Nook. It took a while to get going here. Florida State led three to nothing at halftime. To give you some context, at one point in the first quarter, James Blackman airmailed to pass so badly it hit a police officer, one of those guys guarding the sidelines.
Speaker 1: Did you see that? Yep, indeed I did.
Speaker 2: It was that kind of offensive half, Dan. It didn't really get moving until the fourth quarter. That's when we started cooking with gas. A bunch of lead changes and impressive drive led by mister Blackman to give Florida State lead on a touchdown pass to Audentate and then Malik Rosier. Look did not have a great stat line nineteen of forty four passing, but he led Miami down the field. He had a very nice twenty three yard touchdown pass to Darren Langham was six seconds left. That is what gave Miami the win. This is one of those deals where you look at it and it's like one of those ink blot tests. Okay, you can take away from it whatever you see fit. I'm a positive guy, right, I'm an optimistic minded gentleman.
Speaker 1: Typically, i'd say so. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I came away impressed by both teams in this game. You can look at it and you can say, well, it very easily could have been a win for Florida State, and that's true, absolutely, But I thought both defenses were stout in this game. Both offenses had trouble but really rose to the occasion late. Neither one of these teams set the world on fire on offense, but the fact that their quarterbacks made big throws in crunch time, to me was that was impressive.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed watching that.
Speaker 2: So I came away very optimistically minded regarding both these teams.
Speaker 1: That's gonna be the line I'm gonna take. Okay, So, Florida State and offensive woes nothing really too new, and Miami is has a great defense and it's understandable. But Florida State did a good job and we talked about this on Wednesday. If there is a weakness to Miami's defense, it is sort of straight up the middle, stopping the run, going straight at the Miami does a number of creative things, but there have been times this season that, you know, you even look against Duke that they were giving up too much on the ground and Florida State, who has struggled to produce bigger plays with Acres and Patrick, were able to get things going and so that was at least promising to give James Blackman a little bit more room, but he still has a ways to go as a freshman. Malik Rosier, that first half was god awful, and you know, everybody's sort of day after, they've just accepted it as a win. And Miami is moving forward forward and their schedule is pretty reasonable in terms of the defense they face. Right I'm seeing Georgia Tech, Syracuse, North Carolina, Virginia Tech will be tough, Notre Dame will be tough. Even Virginia is going to be pretty good, and they finished with Pitt. But if Miami is in fact the division favorite, which is fine, They can't submit a first half like that against a team like Clemson. Absolutely not. So I'm a little bit worried about Miami's starting too slowly, but the fact that they finished in the way they did, the fact that Malik Rosier shook off all that sort of the cobwebby discussed of the first half in fine Braxton Barrios and I think it was Langham who caught the game winning pass. It was. It was an incredible game to watch at the end of the game. But I'm a little less optimistic about both of these teams just because of an inability to come out in a promising way.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll give you this, It does require a certain degree of willful ignorance to come out of this one feeling optimistic or more optimistic than you did when you went into it. Blackman, I do need to mention this again. He is truly either hot or cold. It is a binary switch with him hot cold, no ine between, like a freshman burning hot or ice cold, one or the other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, a man of extremes.
Speaker 2: And you're you're totally right about Miami. What worries me now is they play Virginia Tech and Notre Dame in November. Even Georgia Tech, who knows a team with a worse defense than Florida State but a notably better offense, is going to give them trouble.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I say.
Speaker 2: Mark Walton looked beat up. He did not look like him his full well and he got hurt again. Yeah, you know he already had the left ankle. Now it's now it's something on the right side. They got depth at running back. They should be all right with Travis Holman. But even still, it's yeah, we'll have to wait and see.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel good though, positive, positive, mind it positive thoughts. LSU seventeen, Florida State sixteen. Dan oo rough, stop me if you've heard this one before.
Speaker 1: Oh God, be kind ty, be nice, be cool, not an offensive display. No, no, no, no, not much.
Speaker 2: Florida's Eddie Pinero missed an extra point and lo and behold it came back to haunt him.
Speaker 3: Dan.
Speaker 2: How did Richard Johnson, our boy, Richard Johnson, how did he feel about that?
Speaker 1: Not great? And Ryan Nanny was in the office too. Both were not super pumped. And it was not the kicker's fault. It was not Pinero's fault. It was a bad hold the ball and still spinning when he kicked it, So I will I will assign blame elsewhere. But what is good? And this will never be a fantasy things pick because it does not happen all that frequently. But there is only one thing that can be said after I missed extra point right, Gotta hope that doesn't come back to haunt him. Gotta hope, yeah, yeh tough way to lose. Not great. Let's look at let's look at this glass half faull tie playing at a pretty big disadvantage because of the players who are rightfully suspended and not with the team. Felipe Franks was not particularly good. He didn't turn the ball over. I don't believe he didn't throw any picks, so there's that. I don't think he lost any fumbles, so that's giving yourself an advantage. Florida goes down. I believe it was seventeen to three, and they immediately fight back and make it a game late. LSU just had a sound game plan. Danny Etling was fine. They were able to play with the edges, a lot of Jets sweeps and stuff. DJ Shark came up with the huge catch. It's it was a good reboot. That's the word we talked about for LSU moving forward. I think do they have Auburn this coming week? Yes, they do, so a good time to reboot.
Speaker 2: One thing that's interesting you mentioned the jet sweeps. I am going to reference Richard again here very quickly, but I saw he did a good job pointing something out. When Matt Canada came over to run the offense for LSU and the offseason. What was the first thing everyone said LS.
Speaker 1: Was going to do more of. They were going to open things up.
Speaker 2: They're going to open it up, but in particular, they're gonna do jet sweeps. A lot of jet sweeps.
Speaker 1: Right, He's going to play with the edges a lot more than just going straight at teams.
Speaker 2: Any offensive coordinator worth his salary is not calling jet sweeps willy nilly like you or I would if we were playing Madden. Granted they didn't work in Madden. That's that's a different conversation altogether. If you're worth your money, you're doing it to try and play into some tendency or some weakness that you see.
Speaker 1: Get get linebackers' eyes moving, to do right the things and I'm borrowing here from Richard Johnson again, you're your other co host, mm hmmm mm.
Speaker 2: But he wrote this up very very smartly in his game recap, and I'm gonna paraphrase, but basically, Florida's linebackers are young, and they had some issues setting that edge correctly this season, and that's why LSU tries to get a moving side to side. That's why you saw the Jets.
Speaker 1: And that's new for Florida linebackers. That's right. They are normally so much faster than just about everybody.
Speaker 2: But if you saw Jet sweeps, that's why you saw it because I've had some difficulty moving.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just thought that was an interesting point. As you mentioned, a much different LSU team. They played with much more conviction here, more creativity on defense. They didn't force Felipe Franks to turn the ball over per se, but they did sack them five times, and they just played it with a lot of intensity in the trenches. So I thought, moving forward, if you're an LSU fan, a good reboot. Reboot's a good way to phrase this one. Yeah, seventeen sixteen a nice road win. Let's stay in the SEC and let's talk about Alabama twenty seven Texas A and M nineteen Through about thirty five minutes of this game, Damn Bama led twenty four to three. Yes, and we got tweets, we got voice messages that the crock potting had commenced. But I believe what we had here instead was a hard boiled Texas A and M.
Speaker 1: Oh, poor aggies. Have you ever boiled an egg? I have all the time.
Speaker 2: You know how it works, right, You bring it to a quick boil and then you cool, You turn it off and you let it cool for ten minutes and then you're done.
Speaker 1: You got a peal after that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what happened in this game. The final score was twenty seven to nineteen. Despite the early Bama lead, A and M fought valiantly. Kellen Mond will continue to get better. Some untimely turnovers in this one came back to haunt Texas A and M. But still they cover the twenty six and a half point spread. It's fair to say that this game ended up being more of a tester than anyone thought. After thirty five minutes, when they were down by twenty one points. If you're A and M, I think you come away from this one positive minded. Hey, they fought, they didn't get blown out against Alabama. That's a weird little undersized feather that you can put in your cap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's tough, though. It's tough when the season has been as specifically disappointing as it's been, with the way it started out against UCLA, not being able to distance themselves at all from clearly lesser competition. But the running game has gotten better. They had an exciting win over well Arkansas is another one of the lesser competition teams. But you can come away from this game with a couple of big things. One it is the fight from Texts A and M. It is the fact that Kellen Mond did a good job extending plays and I think took a step forward against an obviously excellent defense in completing passes. You know, when Tech A and M was not able to get anything going on the ground, Kellen Mond thing kept the drives moving. The other thing that I came away from this game, well, I guess it's in combination the TECHT A and M defense I thought did a very good job. After it was the long run from Damien Harris, and after things sort of settled down. Techa and M completely pushed Alabama around. And that is also aided by the fact that Jalen Hurts was wildly inconsistent on big moments on third downs especially, and he took a step back. So I am I am optimistic about Alabama, but I am I am upgrading texts A and M in my mind just because I really liked what I saw and I can expect them to continue improving. How about that? That sounds like a good pot. We're very positive minded here to beat yep here, that's us now.
Speaker 2: Also upbeat after this game was Nick Saban, who mentioned that the media's optimism regarding Alabama is like quote rat poison for his team.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm so sorry. So there's that.
Speaker 2: Maybe we should maybe we should take a more negative slant on Alabama.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yeah, let's really give them the motivation, give.
Speaker 2: Them the lousiness, right, yeah, all right. Georgia forty five Vandy fourteen. The Dogs rushed for four hundred and twenty three yards and shut Vandy down. They just got him down. Are we can we officially crown Jake from as Jake Superior?
Speaker 1: Now? Is that fair? Absolutely? Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Did you happen to see that. Georgia also signed another top flight.
Speaker 1: Quarterback named Jake Justin Fields.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Justin Fields is going to be on campus soon enough. I'm not sure what the plan's gonna be.
Speaker 1: The wildfield the wildfield look, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Ormation possible backup better than the starter situation coming to Athens.
Speaker 1: And Justin Field isn't even a dual threat, so I don't think there's gonna be. He's much more of a pro style guy that fits with what they're trying to do. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Forty five fourteen Georgia is very very solid. Auburn forty four Ole Miss twenty three Auburn Dan has scored one hundred and forty four points in their first three SEC games. Through three SEC games, that is the most points they've ever scored in school history.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, wow, really nice performance for Jared Stidham again, carry on, Johnson goes for over two hundred. It was efficient, it was fun. They put the game away I think by half. It was a thirty five to three at halftime. So everything that Ole Miss Scott late was just that it was against Auburn backups and Auburn right now is in a very nice place.
Speaker 2: Ty, Yeah, when I did, when I did the video, they got three straight road games. But yeah, when I did the video this morning, before breakfast, before coffee or any caffeine for that matter, somebody had asked me about the SEC, and is the SEC secretly garbage? No, I don't think it's secretly garbage. Perhaps it's a little bit more top heavy. It's not cooked the full way through the way we expected. But in so listing my top SEC teams, I forgot to list Auburn at number three, forgot them altogether.
Speaker 1: Why would you do that?
Speaker 2: Forgot to list them, just forgot about them. But Auburn's very good forty four to twenty three. It seems like they're starting to put things together, and it will certainly be interesting to now chart them through the second half of the college football season. The one thing I will add about this game, of course, Auburn wins throwaway season for old Miss. Right, what are we going to talk about with old Miss? Let's talk a little bit about Shaye Patterson and how he's been a bright spot because he's fourth nationally with three hundred and sixty one yards passing per game. He's got a higher completion percentage than the Rosen one. Josh Rosen, He's having a really good year despite the fact that Old Miss isn't necessarily a major talking point in the SEC.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of those yards came later on in the game, but he is a very early contender for in a losing effort of the year. Just overall that kind of thing, the manual sound thing, the manual one. Yes. Can I ask you a follow up question to your previous point, Yeah, if you had to on a scale from one to ten, one being Michigan message border, ten being Win Everett, who is the woman that appears in the SEC, it just means more commercials. How good is the SEC right now? Whose opinion? Wow? Well, I'm at like a six eight, seven to one ish somewhere in that range, which is fine. I would say I'm probably about six and a half. Impressibly top heavy, which very top towards a Michigan message border, very very top heavy. Yeah, leave it at that.
Speaker 2: South Carolina forty eight Arkansas twenty two. South Carolina scored three touchdowns on defense. Arkansas is now on the road next week against Alabama, then they come back home the next week to play Auburn. Brett Beelham might get fired. He might get fired after this year.
Speaker 1: Ten to twenty five in the SEC now something like that. Not a good record in the SEC. His buyout's too big.
Speaker 2: He should get fired that there's an argument for that, breaking from my optimistic self.
Speaker 1: He should get flaired. That's rough. Uh. South Carolina look like and I know you're gonna be shocked by this tie a will must Champa. Yes, they did generated a lot of points off of defense, which is what good fun teams do. And offensively they were fine. I don't think they've turned the ball over at all. So it was a totally good win from South Carolina. I do not mean to denigrate anything about it. South Carolina is fine. They're four and two. I think they're two and two in the SEC. Now moving forward, I'm not crazy optimistic, but it's sort of like, did you ever see the picture of like the collage of pictures of Brad Pitt with his various friends and wives where he like adopts the the look. Yeah, like he looked like Jennifer Aniston, he looked like Angelina Jolie. He looked like whoever that I mean, you go to you you go to will Mus's champ you're gonna start looking like Will must Y's right. South Carolina is a must champion team.
Speaker 2: And then finally Kentucky forty Missouri thirty four, Missouri now one in four they're at Georgia next week. Starting to think that Barry Odom might not be the best fit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that might be true. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And on that note, Dan, finding a dress shirt that fits is extremely difficult.
Speaker 1: WHOA, it's something if.
Speaker 2: Something is always off. Thankfully, if you order a custom fit shirt, that won't be a problem. That's why you want to work with our friends Over at propercloth dot com, where you can easily create a custom shirt, sides and seconds.
Speaker 1: All you gotta do is answer ten easy questions.
Speaker 2: You can choose from over twenty collar twenty collar styles, excuse me, ten cuff styles, five hundred fabrics, Classic business, customize it any which way you want. The team Over at proper Cloth they only work with the best fabric producers from around the world. They only buy fabrics that meet their high quality standards. Best of all, at proper Cooth, they guarantee a perfect fit, which means that if somehow you get it doesn't fit, they'll remake it for free, and will remake it for free.
Speaker 1: It's the future, the future of shirts.
Speaker 2: They are made completely custom just for you, and the shirts start at just eighty bucks.
Speaker 1: That's say, it's a nice price for a great shirt. You've got one. I do have one, And let me tell you something. Tie one. Sometimes people will think to themselves, well, I can hide it. Not such a not so great shirt under my suit jacket. Guess what I have a feeling about tie.
Speaker 2: The suit jacket's coming off, suit jack. We have a lot of listeners that run warm. I just sense that. So yeah, And by the way, we've talked about this before, but there are certain capsules that you can step into that you're required to step into stark raving nude in order to get a truly custom fit.
Speaker 1: I mean, you could do that if you're into that, all right.
Speaker 2: I don't want to judge, but personally, I would rather answer ten questions on a website that feels to me like a better avenue.
Speaker 1: But who am I? I'm just a podcast host. What do I do at my brother in law's wedding in a couple of weeks in Austin? I'm in the wedding, and the attire is like suit type slacks and you know shoes, suit type shoes whatever, nicer shoes, and then a white dress shirt. And I think we're wearing like suspenders and a bow tie something like very austiny. Okay, no jacket tie. Yeah, there's no hiding. You better have a shirt that fits your weird body. Well.
Speaker 2: Stop wearing shirts that don't fit. Yeah, start looking your best with a custom fitted shirt. Go to propercloth dot com, slash solid today, enter the gift code solid. You'll save twenty bucks in your first shirt.
Speaker 1: Do it, do it today?
Speaker 2: All right, Moving on, we gotta move quick. We got a bunch of other action to get through. Let's go to the PAC twelve. Go to the late game. Dan Stanford twenty three Utah twenty. This game was one brand for both teams, wasn't.
Speaker 1: It very much?
Speaker 2: So? Yes, when we did the preview, Stanford was a six point favorite. Neither you nor I were buying that. We didn't think it was a six point game. Nobody else did either. Because the line came down to Stanford minus three by kickoff, the entire world knew this is going to be a low scoring close game, and Dan, stop me if you've heard this before. The Bryce Love was the headliner again.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we have to like almost retire Bryce Love as a dude. And the way that TRL retired they like a video graveyard. Yeah, we might have to retire Bryce Love's duty, noess, just to get just.
Speaker 2: To get some other names in the rotation. It was not his most successful game from a statistical standpoint, and Utah did do a fairly decent enough job containing him for most of the game. Yeah, but then he breaks a sixty eight yard touchdown early in the fourth quarter. He coasted in a little too much, little too much ease there, almost got leon letted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he did at the goal line.
Speaker 2: But ultimately that touchdown is what gave Stanford enough breathing room so they can go and get the three point w Interestingly enough, Keller Christ was the one who got to start in this game.
Speaker 1: Dan, Yeah, and he was fine.
Speaker 2: He traded on and off with kJ Costello, which begs the question whether or not whether or not they're going to do this thing. If David Shaw's going to do the two quarterback rotation thing moving.
Speaker 1: Forward, right, I really hope not. I have no interest in Stanford's passing game whatsoever. I like Trent Irwin, but nah, nothing right about it.
Speaker 2: Stanford's passing game is like the garnish on an entree, you know, like you can eat it and it won't kill you, but it's never really that.
Speaker 1: Appetizing a you're so you're calling him Parsley exactly. Passing game exactly. So Bryce Love is the entree. The passing game is the part. Brice Love's a good juicy steak.
Speaker 2: Okay, and Keller Christ and kJ Costello and anyone else, they're they're the They're the Parsley.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No. The Utah defense, I mean, the front is deep and angry and fundamentally very sound. They did a very good job against Bryce Love, but as you mentioned, you can only do a good job against Bryce Love for so long, and it paid off good for Stanford. I'm still kind of worried about their defense because this was still a Detroit Williams Utah team, not a Tyler Huntley Utah team, and with Wazoo, with Washington, I'm not terribly if if Justin Herbert isn't playing for Oregon, not super worried about that next week, but it's a it's a concern.
Speaker 2: They got some games coming up in Utah by the way, at USC next week which could be could be intriguing. We'll talk about that one on Wednesday. Washington State thirty three, Oregon ten.
Speaker 1: Yes. Okay, so Braxton, can we call him beer Meister? He does not deserve a nickname yet. We have a Burmeister and a born Schlager or whatever who both struggled mightily yesterday. Braxton beer meister. Potentially he's underage type. Be cool.
Speaker 2: Oregon's entire offense is hurt. They're all hurt. Yeah, every one of them's hurt. Strangely, this was a goofy line. I don't know what it was at kickoff when we did our show. We even had a hard time tracking it down. But whatever it was, it wasn't that hefty line, and Washington State won the game by twenty three. Luke Falk remains incredible.
Speaker 1: Okay. I ran the numbers. I woke up bright and early today.
Speaker 2: I got the stats before anyone actually updated their websites. He has two hundred and sixty two passing attempts, which is it's got to be top five in the nation. And he's got almost a seventy two percent completion percentage.
Speaker 1: That is really freaking good. No, it's very good. And part of it is that part of their rushing attack is short throws, so he's getting the ball out of his hands quickly and those are very completable throws. So that may skew it a little bit, but still to throw that often and that cleanly is quite impressive. So I thought Oregon actually did a very good job for the most part against Luke Fox. If you watch that first half, they were sacking him, they were making him think for far too long. If there's a criticism I have about him is as he goes through his progressions, he becomes sort of statuesque, he becomes bledsoeean if I'm going to a casual dress James Franklin a little bit. He's just there's no point where he feels the pressure and rolls out. That is just not his game. And that's sort of to Washington State's detriment because they can become a little bit third and outye because of it, because you'll take a sack on second down and really take them out of position. And Oregon did a very good job against for the most part, Washington State on the ground. Here's the problem. Washington State plays excellent defense and Oregon was super duper. One note on offense, and that was hand the ball to a running back moving straightforward. Do you know in this game specifically, I think the teams combined to go four for thirty one on third down? Nice? Nice? Would you say if if you were on the Oregon coaching staff that a key might be you gotta get the ball past the chains on third down if we have any shot with a quarterback who can't really throw downfield for the most part, you have to be able to keep the offense on the field. Oregon, now in both of their losses, now these are it's a disappointing Arizona State team and a good Washington State team. I think they are combined two for twenty eight on third down. Yeah, Okay. Going into the Willie Taggart era, I said to myself, Oh, well, he's a hardball guy. And now I say to myself, Ohugh, he's a hardball guy, isn't he is that? Oh yeah, harb coming out here. Yeah, And in his defense, this was not justin Herbert Orgon's best two receivers route. I think their starting tight end was out. Organ's also super sloppy up front. Just get it all out, get it all out, right, I'm trying to just get it out. Offensive line is very good at both blocking and starting too early before the ball is snapped. They'll pop that big old Oregon pimple. So I'm trying to think who Oregon is in this home alone comparison. But not a great Knight. Not a great Knight. And Washington State did a great job wearing them down and taking advantage. They would be the parents that forgot Kevin. This is true, this is true. All right, we gotta go quick man. We got let's coence, We got games to get through.
Speaker 2: Washington thirty eight col seven of note, Cal statistically now statistically finished with negative forty yards rushing as a team.
Speaker 1: That's not the best. I think that eight against Oregon.
Speaker 2: It was because of a botched field goal at the end of the game, but that still means they only had one rushing yard before that play.
Speaker 1: Cal is becoming who we assumed Cal would become. They are who we thought they were. Okay, that's okay, It's gonna take time.
Speaker 2: Arizona forty five, Colorado forty two, collectively Dan seven hundred and twenty five rushing yards in this game, led first and foremost by backup quarterback Khalil Tate.
Speaker 1: Oooh god, I am, I'm getting the vapors tie.
Speaker 2: He broke the FBS single game rushing record for a quarterback with fourteen carries that went for three hundred and twenty seven yards. Are you freaking kidding? That's an average of twenty three yards per carry. He had touchdown runs of fifty eight, twenty eight, forty seven, and seventy five. And granted, Colorado's defense isn't what it was a year ago, but it's still pretty good and in terms of giving up big plays on the ground. Before this game, they were a top thirty defense Dan. So this was a game for Khalil Tate as Arizona gets a kind of surprising victory here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they gave up what forty to Washington, They held UCLA down pretty nicely in forty five to Arizona. If you give up three hundred and twenty seven yards to a very good running quarterback, which Khalil Tate is who I believe we actually talked about during the quarterback battle in the PAC twelve preview as a name to pay attention to Khalil Tate just in terms of his pure athletic ability. But if you, as a defense give up three hundred and twenty seven rushing yards to a quarterback, are you still a good defense in the present tense? No?
Speaker 2: No, I don't believe so, definitely not. And the real shame of the batter. So good, good, good for him, nice game, obviously a great game. The real shame was Colorado's Philip Lindsay, who, yeah, ran for two hundred and eighty one yards any losing.
Speaker 1: Effort, Yeah, a workhorse effort. I mean he didn't have huge run after huge run, but.
Speaker 2: Too eighty one is too eighty one, dog, Yeah, to eighty one is two eighty one.
Speaker 1: You're right.
Speaker 2: And finally USC thirty eight Oregon State ten. We won't go too much into detail with this one because we got to move, but let's just say that Kyle White from Oregon State quoted as saying about Sam Darnold, he's a normal PAC twelve quarterback. I didn't see anything special. Should have been three picks. He's okay. A lot of the plays he made because we shot ourselves in the foot.
Speaker 1: So there's that Yeah, sounds like me after every football video game I've ever.
Speaker 2: Lost, exactly acc action. We gotta move, We got to talk about what happened on Thursday. I caught some flack from the kids on Twitter because I predicted that Louisville ululuislu Elleville. I predicted they were gonna win by twenty five.
Speaker 1: Oops. I really should stop being confident in Louisville at this point, right.
Speaker 2: I think it's time time, because every time I'm confident in Louisville, they eke one out against Purdue or they just straight up lose. And NC State pretty much played this one the way you have to. They let Lamar Jackson run wild, go get your stats, Lamar, and then they just come away with the win. Lamar had four to twenty in total yards, three touchdowns, but NC State finishes with thirty nine points in the w They win thirty nine to twenty five. They are now a very quiet five and one. They've beaten both Florida State and Louisville. They've clearly positioned themselves as the next best team in the Atlantic behind Clemson in the ACC and it's hard not to look at this game and like what they did because again they let Lamar get the stats, but they put pressure on them the entire game. They sacked four times on offense, they were extremely balanced. I talked about Luke Falk and his completion percer, but Ryan Finley has been outstanding this year. He's got something like a seventy percent completion percentage as well.
Speaker 1: NC State is quietly, very very good the defensive front. We knew about Ryan Finley's potential. You know, what he did at times last year was on display. But yeah, he has I don't think he's thrown a pick this year. We're in we're like well into October. He has not thrown a pick. He was fantastic against a disappointing Louisville defense. There is not too much positive to take away for Louisville. And this came other than the fact that you probably didn't know this, but if Louisville either wins or loses a Thursday night game, Rick Patino gets a huge bonus. Oh man did not know that. No, he gets a sizable bonus kind of result. Yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: Clemson twenty eight Wake fourteen. Kelly Bryant threw for two hundred through for a touchdown. Then he left with an ankle injury in the third quarter, so I have to watch that. Both the Clemson's backups came in got some action. But twenty eight to fourteen win over Wake.
Speaker 1: No, John Wolford, hope he's all right?
Speaker 2: Yes, Notre Dame thirty three UNC ten. Ian Book was your starter?
Speaker 1: Hey? He I thought he looked pretty good.
Speaker 2: And the only other note here is that North Carolina is really bad.
Speaker 1: North Carolina is real bad. I only saw a little bit of this game. It was also in the rain, so it's hard to take too much away from quarterback. I wasn't super thrilled watching Ian Book, but that he was all right. Why he's the backup? He was fine. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Virginia Tech, Virginia and Syracuse all win. Dan, do you have any parting thoughts on the acc before we go big ten?
Speaker 1: A little bit of a struggle for Virginia Tech. Offensively cool to see Syracuse win once again on their march to six. But no, that's pretty much out. Virginia is pretty decent, not bad, right, Virginia's I like Kirk Bankard a lot ty. I am. I am rooting for this Virginia team.
Speaker 2: You know, I was thinking in relation to Kurt Bankert. This is my only frame of reference, by the way, and it's horrible to say, yeah, downish game yesterday, But I like him. But a couple of years back, when I blew out my shoulder, I had something called a Bankert lesion. Oh and so I'm thinking if if you lose to Kurt Bankert, that's a Bankert lesion.
Speaker 1: Don't want that? Yeah, you don't want that? Right? Yes, I'm Brian Harson.
Speaker 2: Little orthopedic reference for all y'all? Okay, big ten mm hmm. Penn State thirty one Northwestern seven. This game was brutal to watch, brutal, brutal, brutal to watch, mostly because of Northwestern, but still we hadn't used for a little bit on the Wednesday Show that this one might be close, and I took Northwestern in the points. Ultimately for Northwestern two point two yards on the ground per rush, four point six yards through the air on average, three turnovers. This is a bad offense that looked even worse because they were up against a good defense here. Yes, I you know, I don't worry about Trace mcswirley. He had he had decent enough stats. I don't worry about Saquon Barkley. I worry about their offensive line because the offensive line has its moments. What happens when this line goes up against Michigan, What happens when this line goes up against a team like in Ohio State, That to me is like what I'm worried about. If I'm a Penn State fan, That to me feels like a weakness going up against some of these better defensive fronts. And I feel a lot about Penn State offensively the way I do USC because their offense is comfortably in fourth gear comfortably and there's a fifth gear that they can get to. But whenever they whenever they stop that proverbial clutch dan and then they try to go to fifth.
Speaker 1: I don't know how.
Speaker 2: Familiar you are with manual vehicles. Obviously you're a huge gearhead, so I'm assuming you are.
Speaker 1: That's me.
Speaker 2: But whenever you stop that clutch man and you try to get up there, it's just it's kind of you get that grinding sound and it just it doesn't naturally flow there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like it might. Who hurt their heisman chances more? Yesterday Barkley or Baker Mayfield fifteen carries for twenty two yards outside of the long run. Probably Baker. He had an ok game. He always has an okay game. Yeah, Sequon has his weird down games. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like people are so into Saquon at this point that as long as he keeps scoring touchdowns and getting like more than seventy yards a game, he's going to get benefit of the doubt. Whereas you lose at home to Iowa State, you know, you're so accustomed to Baker getting the stats that people might be more inclined to to speak ill of that.
Speaker 1: But now Saquon Barklay has to have huge games against Michigan and Ohio State has to he does. Also, you skip one very important thing, ty James Franklin finally got to win against Northwestern, right, yeah, who it is?
Speaker 2: Uh? Oh finally getting mat feeling good?
Speaker 1: Yeah, our Powell Roger Sherman had not so nice things to say about Northwestern's offense, which is still bad, very very bad. Okay, with the same coordinator that they've had since like two thousand and eight.
Speaker 2: Wisconsin thirty eight Nebraska's seventeen. Wisconsin ran for three point fifty three and three touchdowns two hundred and forty nine and two touchdowns, of which came from our boy Jonathan Taylor tailback. Very good, very very good rushing attack here for Wisconsin. It's what they do. I also have to do something here.
Speaker 1: Uh oh.
Speaker 2: And I'm not doing this to be mean spirited, but there is a gentleman out there who tweeted us and he said that he's trying to get his friend to listen to the podcast, and in order to really put him over the top in his in his cell job here, he requested that we that we play the Tanner Lee sound one more time.
Speaker 1: Okay, listen, you're in control of the sounds, ty.
Speaker 2: So I'm just gonna leave this here. Tanner Lee sixteen of thirty two, putting those Manning passing Academy skills to work with two hundred and sixty two yards in touchdown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and his tenth interception of the season. But that just makes him a huge, huge NFL quarterback. If Sam donaldon have nine or ten at this point, yeah, different from ten? Yeah, Yeah, let's look optimistically at this.
Speaker 2: We Sam Donald of the Heartland, Yes, Sam hartnulled, Okay, I apologize. Ohio State sixty two, Maryland fourteen, Ohio State killed Max Borton Schlocker.
Speaker 1: Oh, they killed him. He was three of twelve passing for sixt ten yards in this game. Dan, Yeah, at a certain point the total yard it was like four oh one to twelve or pal Matt Brown tweeted it out and and it was it was like sixteen carries four yards whatever it was. Ryan did the math, Ryan Nanny, and it was like it was like one point eight inches per carry.
Speaker 2: Whenever you can easily do the yards to feat conversion on someone's passing line, that is generally very very bad.
Speaker 1: Well, when the rushing attempt is basically when somebody tells you if you're taking a photo and you're just like, just could you scoot just a scoach. That's what Marilyn ran for. Oh, that's discotch of note. Ty Johnson was fine, They just took seth of note here. Yeah, he ran back a kick. That was nice.
Speaker 2: But Ohio State lost Brandon Bowen from its line for the year. He broke his left leg, so we hope he's hope he's okay. We wish him a speedy recovery. Hileo State's crazy deep pretty much across the board, but losing your.
Speaker 1: Right guard is of note, so we hope he hope he's better.
Speaker 2: Perdue thirty one Minnesota seventeen. This is my off the grid lock of the week.
Speaker 1: I hit it.
Speaker 2: Thankfully I did not watch it because it featured, as I mentioned earlier, in eighty eight minute rain delay and six turnovers. So if you were at this game, if you had to watch this game, may God have.
Speaker 1: Mercy on your soul.
Speaker 2: Hopefully you were on the correct end of the bedding and you cashed in on Purdue's fourteen point home victory.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Did you see a seven overtime game tie? Because I watched the end of that and that was a lot of yards. That was many yardages. Oh my gosh. So it's Western Michigan over Buffalo, poor Buffalo. What was the final score of that game? Huh, I'll load it up right now, but a lot to a lot TI, It was a lot to. It was Western Michigan seventy one, Buffalo sixty eight. Yo, Drew Anderson, I hope you have the losing efforts sound ready? Tie Drew Anderson starting quarterback five ninety seven and seven touchdowns in a losing effort. That's a tough one. That's a really tough one. It's not great.
Speaker 2: Iowa forty five, Illinois sixteen, Indiana twenty seven, Charleston Southern Goose Egg. All right, and very finally in our Power five action, we circle all the way back now to the Big Twelve. I know everyone has been eagerly awaiting our double overtime chat about Texas and Kansas State. Yep, there are only two undefeated teams in the Big twelve. Is one of them TCUs one of them. The other is Texas. Yes, sir, here's a fun fact for you. This is, honest to goodness, the first time in four years that Texas has started off two to zero.
Speaker 1: In the Big twelve. Damn good for them four years.
Speaker 2: This is actually a fun game to watch if you weren't a k State fan. Yeah, their defense genuinely let them down in this game. Sam Ellinger had four to eighty seven in total yardage, three point eighty through the air. Everyone's going to focus on the stats, but let's also give some props to the Texas offensive line because they're super banged up and they did a really good job against I think a good defense protecting Ellinger. They didn't give up a single sack in this game, they get the w forty to thirty four, and now Texas undefeated in the Big twelve. Texas and uh, you know a team that almost beat usc took them to overtime earlier in week two. Now they've got this game against Oklahoma where I'm intrigued and like I said, will clearly overreact to what happened to Oklahoma this week. HM the Red River shootout coming up. This is a big game, big big game for Tom Herman.
Speaker 1: Has Tom Herman beaten Oklahoma? Say in the last I don't know year and a couple of months. I have to check Dan check it out. Tie, I have to look. I will get back to you by Wednesday. He plays all of the positions, so I can say that that he beat Oklahoma. He himself, Sam Ellinger is probably the starter moving forward, right I. Yeah, he has it's up damn near five hundred total yards against a pretty decent Kansas State defense. Yeah. I was impressed with Texas forty know what it means in the future, but it seems like they're improving. Forty to thirty four.
Speaker 2: Nice win, nice win for Texas and finally, Texas Tech sixty five Kansas nineteen.
Speaker 1: Anything to add here, not particularly, but Texas Tech held a team under twenty points. I know, still not over that tie. I'm still not.
Speaker 2: In other action, we got to mention this, Yeah, future Nebraska coach Scott fraud Ust and his UCF Knights fifty one Cincinnati twenty three. U Sef's pretty good, fun game as Navy beats air Force forty eight to forty five.
Speaker 1: Big comeback and then an edge at the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we'd be remiss if we did not mention that Lafayette knocked off the mighty fordham Rams fourteen to ten, and Lehigh, as you heard our caller sing gleefully at the end of the reverbs, Lehigh knocked off the Gators of Colgate on the road, no less, on the road. So look, you went ten to five and one against the spread this week.
Speaker 1: Not bad. I'll turve Dan.
Speaker 2: Ten five and one. The only games you got wrong were Bama, Michigan State, Loullville, k State, and Syracuse.
Speaker 1: I went six' nine and. ONE i hit both my, locks BUT i went six to nine and.
Speaker 2: One according to the official, TALLY i am sitting at forty six point four. Percent you are at forty four point five percent for the. Season, HOWEVER i have a request to make Of, matt who so graciously has volunteered to keep track of these. Numbers he is Including Patriot league games in that. Tally it REALLY i don't want to diminish our good friends over at The Patriot, league but to think that you OR i put any real thought into who's winning these games when we pick them is really giving us a lot of.
Speaker 1: Credit we're not even like picking against the.
Speaker 2: Spread if we strip out those, GAMES i believe you will have a healthy lead on. Me if he wouldn't mind going back through and taking another run just the games against the, SPREAD i would suspect that that you are doing a lot better than. Me you've also done better on your. Lock ALTHOUGH i did go to AND o this. Week hey, Nice i'm trying to ship back back, away get back into this, action but you had a rather impressive, week SO i just wanted to congratulate.
Speaker 1: You you did it and did a very good. Job and even though we're not counting The Patriot, league this is still the conference Of Marv. Hubbard, tie that's, Correct Jim, Schwartz Joe, Madden Greg Maluski's, Yeah GIT i have a question for, You, ty, yes close with this and this is not, serious but it's actual college football. Questioning what did you have an opinion about The Chris Peterson kirk Kurb street. Thing as An east coast viewer and person interested in The pac twelve and perhaps not watching Big pac twelve games at one in the, MORNING.
Speaker 2: I do have an opinion rehash for people what's going on? HERE i don't know if everyone caught.
Speaker 1: This, okay so last Week Chris, peterson of, course the head coach The Washington. Huskies they were in the playoff last, year in case you have already, forgotten and our a rival of the school THAT i root, for BUT i Enjoyed pack twelve. Football he came out and said that he wished That washington didn't have as many ten ten thirty Pm eastern time. Kicks he, says all those night games and obviously seven to seven thirty on The west, coast tough for their, fans tough for them to get exposure on The east. Coast and you, know he's just not super pleased with. It and THEN, espn who we have a lot of pals AT. Espn we like ESPN's college football. Coverage we like Kirkurb, street they come back just just splashing the pot right in an onslaught of pr on game day and, saying, well ratings are this for night games and they're actually, good and they're this percent better Than pack twelve games in the, afternoon and all of THIS i presume is. True i'm a little bit hesitant to be Like ESPN's ratings according TO, espn Like pepsi's new great, flavor excellent according To, Pepsi Crystal. Pepsi, Right i'm a little bit hesitant about. That AND i think there was certainly a degree of framing WHEN espn is revealing their own ratings and they're saying ratings east of The, rockies, well that's a large part of the country downloads After, tuesday, Right SO i was a little bit curious about that sort of pr. Onslaught and Then Kirk herbstreet, saying, HEY i love THE pac. TWELVE i love THE pac twelve getting, attention but you should be thankful that we are AIRING pac twelve, Football like somebody, saying, HEY i know we've been dating for a, while could we just talk about a couple, things, Like, hey you should be Grateful i'm dating. You, yeah it's a business. Relationship and THEN espn puts the. CHIRON i Guess Chris peterson refused to an interview before the game WITH, espn and they put a, Chiron so like that lower third of text to graphic on the screen explaining THE pac twelve ratings underneath video Of Chris peterson sort of walking the sideline before the. Game, REALLY i thought it was so BENEATH. ESPN i thought it was so crazy orchestrated pr to come out and just try to Delegitimateizize Chris, peterson, who by the, way tie when coaches complain or when coaches act, weird or when they say stuff to get, attention or when they have new. Uniforms why why are all of these things? Happening is there something you can attribute it? To BECAUSE i have an. Idea, YEAH i think everything that is somewhat weird and attention grabby is. Recruiting of. Course so where are all Of Chris peterson's best players. From they're From. California, yeah, yeah there's a couple From. WASHINGTON i Think Bier murphy's From. Arizona Maybe i'm wrong about, that but they're not from the. Region they're not From, Washington, Oregon, idaho and so when he is on a weekly basis SEEING usc at five, pm eight, pm and all of his players grow up WATCHING, usc it's not necessarily a ratings. Thing it's A i'm competing against WHO espn wants to put in primetime every. Week AND i think that's a totally valid complaint That i'm also positive tie That Kirk kirp straight understands That Chris peterson complaining about exposure ISN'T tv. Ratings it's about, recruiting and it feels LIKE espn could have done a better job Of it's actually good for THE pac. Twelve ratings are, good but we understand his, concerns and we're always trying to get the best deal for THE pac twelve because they're also in the business of.
Speaker 2: RIGHTS i sort of wondered if Like herbstreet was taking it, personally because he frequently does like the prime primetime.
Speaker 1: Game, sure you, know like there was almost.
Speaker 2: An element of that that that seemed like it crept in a little. BIT i didn't quite understand the fire THAT espn came back. WITH i, Understand, Look Chris peterson will not be the FIRST pac twelve COACH pac twelve anything to complain about some of the time slots that they. Draw this has been an ongoing thing and it's fun in us on The East coast here we make a game of THIS pac Twelve After dark. Thing it's kind of taken on it's own identity to an, extent but, legitimately when you're trying to run something and when you're trying to compete and attract new talent to come to your, organization your, club your, school your, whatever, yeah it's it's, location, location location in a virtual, sense in a television rating, sense you want to get as many eyeballs as you can on whatever it is that you're. Selling, sure he is absolutely coming at it from that. Perspective so, YEAH i didn't understand the fire THAT espn came back.
Speaker 1: With it was. Unnecessary it was totally beneath. Them and obviously there is a there's a reason behind everything they want to outwardly say to THE pac, Twelve look how good your ratings. Are we are delivering on all sorts of. PROMISES i get, that but it's sort of it's it felt antagonistic with no real, need and you know, what at, first it seemed Like Chris. Peterson it was like sort of self, serving AND i promise we'll stop talking about this momentarily self, serving like we want more people watching. Us what About? Washington what About. Washington but then it was sort of flipped Like washington is aware that they are In, seattle very far away from a lot of, places and you, know they've tried to spice up the. Program they do The oregon thing with the helmets and the uniforms and stuff, now and they redid the, stadium but there's still it's an uphill, battle AND i Think Chris peterson recognizes. That, yeah it was so much fire coming. BACK i didn't fully get. IT i don't. Know it was like A twitter feud playing out in real.
Speaker 2: Life but, Whatever, okay close this out with some dude Lords, Dan oh my, GOD i have.
Speaker 1: Got who we? Got who do we? Got oh my, god there were so many dudes this week in college. Football won Buzz McAllister from home. Alone such a. Dude in the, end he was a good support of older Brother Joel, landing obviously quarterback and linebacker For Iowa. State playmaker did all things all over The, still how about this, one Ty Adam nunez Or. NUNYAZ i don't know if there's A. Tilda the punter FOR tcu kept Pinning West virginia. Deep we see. You Braxton, barrios playmaker For miami on the. Outside Julian, aquara good pick hell of a play tie tip did it intercepted it to? Himself, yeah come, on that's. Ridiculous kyle kempt we mentioned Another Iowa state guy played quarterback was. Ridiculous Khalil tate rush for three hundred and twenty seven yards For arizona as a. Quarterback Carry On johnson went over two hundred For auburn on the. Ground Dontrell. Hilliard we didn't mention The tulane, score But tulane was up like forty eight to three or ten or something at halftime Against. Tulsa he was a big reason Why Troy die forced a fumble while laying on the. Ground For, oregon their star Linebacker Drew. Anderson we mentioned in a losing effort quarterback For Buffalo Jonathan taylor tailback Tie. Boom we might have to retire him as a dude as. Well just too many dood. Alerts Riley ferguson And Anthony miller hooked up At memphis for like a thousand yards Against. YUKON i respect. That Eric, powell the kicker For Washington state, TIE i dig deep with. THESE i think he connected on a fifty two and a forty seven yard field. Goal you know how many teams are jealous of that?
Speaker 2: Tie, everyone all of, them all the teams except.
Speaker 1: For Michigan Ikwon smith and Finally Mackenzie. Milton you mentioned you see F Mackenzie milton To Tree Kwon. Smith it was another fantastic connection for The. Nights so those are your. Dudes, alrighty there you have. It thank you to everyone for.
Speaker 2: Listening went a little longer today because we had a lot to get, through BUT i think we covered a lot of. GROUND i want to thank you all again for your, subscriptions for your, support for buying your shirts and wearing them out in the wild and sending us those.
Speaker 1: Pictures keep on doing.
Speaker 2: It it's a lot of fun tweet great free advertising for, us but above, all it's just. Fun it's fun to see people out there enjoying these. Things and we will be doing a second run. Shortly you can stay tuned to Our twitter feed Or facebook page Or, instagram all the usual hotspots we will take the opportunity to alert you about our second. Run there also the, newsletter the, subreddit everywhere check us. Out we are the solid. Verbal we do appreciate all of the great, support all the calls that you shower upon us each, end every.
Speaker 1: Week that's ALL i, Got, Dan that's ALL i. Have i'm tapped.
Speaker 2: OUT i need a nap for that guy over, there my good Friend Dan, rubinstein ten to five and One Dan rubenstein alter Of dan for, Myself tie Hilding, Man thanks again for tuning into the. Show we'll catch you all On wednesday talk some week. Seven in the, meantime STAY sob