Speaker 1: We are back with part two of our interview with the one and only Dave Koolier. We are so thankful to him for joining us and being so candid about questions we've never known the answers to. Without further ado, here is part two of Dave Kolier.
Speaker 2: I would love to hear like how you I mean talking about comedy and stuff, Like how you got into comedy. I know, you know, my Finder was a big part of that, like growing up in Michigan and stuff, and.
Speaker 3: Mike Mike uh talked me into moving to la when I was eighteen years old. I got into comedy just from, you know, the way a lot of comedians do just through pain, and it was a way to you know, deal with pain that was happening in my life. I grew up in a really strong Catholic family, in a Catholic neighborhood, in a Catholic community, and I went to Catholic school. I went to Catholic All boys High School, and so you know, all that guilt that is associated with that came crashing down on me when my parents got divorced. I was nine years old. I was in third grade, third grade, starting a new Catholic school, and my way of dealing with the pain that was at home. Because my parents were both lovely people, they just should never have procreated together, you know, But I'm glad they did, you know. But it was my coping mechanism of feeling all this Catholic guilt on a daily basis was to be the funny kid in the class. And so I learned very early how to do voices with my brother. My brother and I would lay in our bunk beds, and my brother was the funniest person I ever know. He was so dry, but so brilliant and witty, and he was a savant. He could play classical piano just off the top of his head. He was a sculptor. He was a painter, but very very troubled, you know. But he truly was a savant with a lot of different things. And so my brother and I, my brother taught me how to do impressions, and we would lay in our bunk beds at night, and we would do impressions of our neighbors and our family members and friends. And my brother would do these impressions and make me laugh so hard. My dad would run into our room at like one in the morning and go if you do, don't knock it off. I'm tired of hearing Hooper and mister Rondo in here. And those were our neighbors across the street. So my brother Danny and I we would sit on the we would sit on the front porch, and we called it it narrating the neighborhood. And so we would just look across the street. You'd go, okay, you take mister Maddox and I'll take mister Hooper, and you take mister Rondo and mister Gat and we would.
Speaker 4: Just I can't stand at these kids. They're lawnmower. I'm just a dub old buffalo. And then you know, I would my brother would do mister Hooper.
Speaker 5: I can't stand my own stomach because he had a huge stomach, and my brother would always do this bit. I can't stand my own stomach. You know, my belly button is like a jar. I could pour a dirt in it and grow a plant.
Speaker 3: And we would we would make each other laugh so hard, but we would carry that into our bunk beds late at night, right And and I I thought farts were the funniest thing in the world. Still do because I had. I had nine uncles growing up, and my joke was I.
Speaker 2: I pulled and some sort of hereditary bowel disease. So absolutely so needless to say, it runs in the family quite literally.
Speaker 3: So my joke is, I had nine uncles growing up. I pulled more fingers than an orthopedic surgeon. So so you know, I was a funny kid, and my my aunts and uncles were all funny. My dad was really funny, my mom was a great laugher, my sisters were terrifically funny, and so comedy for me was just basically something that brought intense joy laughter, and because I wasn't here in those laughs when I got home, the laughter would stop when I got home because it was very painful the relationship between my mom and dad. And then I was a jock. So being a jock, you've got a built in audience.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I would play hockey and there's twenty kids sitting around, and I would do impressions as the coaches. It was just an extension of what I was doing at home with my brother, but I brought it into locker room when I got into high school. Let's back up, I met Mark Sandrowski in third grade.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And Mark Sandrawski. By the way, just as a side note here, Mark Sandrowski was as far as he relates to us, he is Dave's one of Dave's best friends. But he was our second ad on full House for a while, and then he went on to successfully direct Big Bang Theory and win Emmy's and he's directed a ton of shows and he's an incredible sitcom director and he's a lovely human being. A side note anyway, back to you.
Speaker 3: So I knew Mark Mark and I Mark and I met in third grade and I walked by his desk to go get my paper from the teacher, and he was drawing in his notebook and I was like, what the heck is that kid doing? So I walked back up my paper. I walk back and I go, what are you drawing there? He goes, Oh, these are Martians. And I'm like, I'm gonna like this kid. And so we became best friends and we started writing comedy bits, probably end of third grade, fourth grade, and we would do little sketches at the hockey banquets, and you know, he would always have me do voices and he would be the straight man and I would do the funny guy and.
Speaker 2: So you know where we're cut it out came from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I stole it from him because his brother. He and his brother Dwight were a comedy duo and they used to open for me and they were called Ski Squared Sandrowski, so it was Ski Squared and Mark would do this Mark Suave character where he would button his shirt all the time to a woman in the front, oh, and go, I know what you're looking at. Now cut it out? And I told him, I said, I'm going to steal that, so I did. I started using it on a show that I hosted on Nickelodeon called out of Control, and it became kind of my catchphrase. I remember doing cut it out at one of our run throughs early on at full House, and I remember the producers laughing and they were like, what was that weird thing you did? I went, oh, cut it out. They go, we're gonna we're going to write that in and they did. You know, so so comedy for me. I had a partner in crime early on with Mark, I knew another funny kid, and then with stand up. I started doing impressions in high school at Notre Dame, where Mark and I went and I could do dead on impressions of about six or seven teachers and our principal. And one day we're in the we're in the cafeteria for lunch, and I was doing this bit using our principal's voice, and all of a sudden, everybody's eyes stopped and was looking behind me, and I was like, uh oh, and I turned around and it was the principle and they talked like that, David, I'll see you down in my office now. And his name was Conrade Veschan. So I went down to his office and he said, you and that Sandrowski fellow, you know those kids follow you. Why don't you do the announcements? And I said really like he goes, yeah, you do it, and I said as you, and he goes, well, yeah, whatever you want. So Mark and I started writing the announcements in the morning, and I would go on as the principal of our school.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's doing the announcements.
Speaker 3: So that's kind of how kind of how I really got hooked. And we were always listening to George Carlin and Richard Prior albums and sketching stuff and creating funny characters, and then we added another friend of our, Tom Keenan. So everybody called us the Three Stooges, and we would perform at October fests and you know, charities and banquets and the Hockey Awards local you know, the banquet, we would do a show, and so it was really nice. By the time I got to high school, we had a whole troop of nine guys and we would do kind of Monty Python Saturday Night live sketches to raise money for the school. And so that just led into doing stand up here in Detroit when stand up was exploding. My group was Robin Williams, Richard Pryor, Gary Shandling, Bob Saggat, Jim Carrey, Howie Mandel, Drew Carey, Dennis Miller, Louis Anderson. It was an extraordinary time to be stand up, Jerry Seinfeld, Larry Miller, and it was such an amazing group that you couldn't you couldn't follow Jerry Seinfeld and do your b material. You had to go on at the comedy store. And I'm following Shandling, I'm following sag and I'm following Seinfeld, I'm following Robin Williams, and you know, None of us were stars. We were just comics. You had to you had to go up and really hit it out of the park following those guys because they were hitting it out of the park. So, you know, when I was nineteen years old, it was really exciting, you know. And then I was a stand up for a long time, right through Full House, and then I quit.
Speaker 2: What made you decide to quit?
Speaker 3: I was burned out. I was doing I was doing Full House. I was hosting America's Funniest People on ABC. I was doing voices on The Muppet Babies on CBS, and I was doing voices on the Real Ghostbusters cartoon. And so I thought, you know, this isn't gonna last forever. I'm going to tour. I'm gonna do stand up dates. So there's a theater here in Michigan called Pine Knob and it's like ten thousand seats. So Dennis Miller I played there three times. I cohig headlined with Bob Louis Anderson one time and with Dennis Miller. The third time was with Dennis. Dennis. I opened the show and then Dennis closed, And during my set in front of like eight thousand people, I started talking to myself and having this inner dialogue, and I was telling myself how I wasn't into it, how I was just like going through the motions, and like, I caught myself. And I don't know how long I was taught, Probably it was probably just milliseconds, but I caught myself having this inner dialogue and I and I thought, ooh, you have just been on autopilot. This is really awful, and it scared me. And I walked off stage, and then Dennis and I went out to dinner and I just told him. I said, I can't do this anymore. And I called Brad Gray, who was my manager, and I said, Brad, cancel the rest of my dates. He goes, what are you talking about, Dave? And I said, I'm burned out. He goes, you got these theater dates. He goes, You're going to make a fortune. I said, I can't do it anymore. I just scared the crap out of myself on stage. So I took like, I don't know, eight or nine years off and then just wasn't interested in it. And you know, never say never, but I don't think I'll do it again. You know, I achieved everything in stand up. I wanted to do. You know. I did an HBO special, I did the Tonight Show when Johnny Carson was hosting. I was on Showtime, I you know, toured, I you know, it was it was awesome. It was really awesome. But to do it now, stand up's hard. It's really hard. And if anybody tells you it's not that they've never done it. It's really hard. And I know what it takes to put an hour and a half together, a killer hour and a half. I did an Air Force tour a couple of years ago. I did twenty four US Air Force bases and I had to headline and it was so much work. And you have to be on a stage every night to get good. And I don't want to do that anymore. It's a lot, a lot of work, you know. And Jody, I know you're out doing stand up and you.
Speaker 2: My finder actually gave me my first opportunity. He had me open for him at the Ice House. It was my first time getting up and doing original material and he was and it was because he was like, I've seen you. I know you can do this. I know you can do this, and like I got off the stage and he was like Bob and Dave would be so proud of you, like and that meant the world. Yeah, but yeah, it is. I mean I get like I haven't put as much effort into it because it's it's also like a young people's grind, you know what I mean. All my friends that are stand ups, like they're out every night at the club at comedy's door, I laugh, going club club till two three in the morning. I'm like, I got kids that got to get up and go to school. And I get, you know, I can do a couple shows here and there, but it is, it's it is. It's a lifestyle. Being a comic, I see is kind of and it's it's awesome and it's great, and but it is it's a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you're either all in.
Speaker 2: Or you're not right right.
Speaker 3: Because you know, audiences will tell you, oh, you're not all in right just by their response. And I know how much effort it takes to write and go out just to get five minutes is hard, you know, to get a five minutes set together that's rip roaring killer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, takes you a month.
Speaker 6: Yeah, at least a month for five minutes, you know, so to put an hour together is going to take you a year. Yeah, And that takes a lot of work and commitment, and and you know, I have so many other nice things in.
Speaker 3: My life that I can devote that time too that you know, I'm not a laugh junkie. I don't need to hear the laughs. You know.
Speaker 2: Did you ever have any other jobs like other Didn't you tell me that one time you did, like some sort of engineering or something right or some sort of Yeah. Like I always love bragging about like you and Andrea and Scott because like the people that played the stupidest characters on our show were actually some of the most intelligent people. And so I'm always like Dave's like really bright, like don't let Joey fool you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I worked in a mechanical engineering firm here in Detroit. I was a detailer where you had to draw everything by hands. So I had a giant drawing board and we would design cycloidal transfer units and so I would take down substations from those huge assembly lines. What it is, it's it moves parts down an assembly line, OK. And we would design all of these different stations that would you know, take a piece of steel, rotate it, drill it, counterbore it, you know, switch it and move it on to the next station. You know, of the all this automation that was going to happen, So I would have to break down certain sections of that and draw it in detail, it all out, call out all the parts and how you could machine it. So I did that before I moved to LA And I have two sides of my brain. I definitely have a creative side, but I also love the technical stuff, like That's why I love aviation. That's why I love flying. And as a kid growing up, I could never I could never really make sense of math or science until I became a pilot. And then being a pilot is all math and science. You know, it's meteorology, it's you know, it's physics, it's aerodynamics, it's you know, and then there's communication, and then there's navigation, and then there's you know, all the technical aspects of just you know, fuel navigation. I love that stuff, but it never made sense until I could put it all together in a three D package, which is flying an airplane. And so you know, I love that that stuff, which is why I love directing television. You know, you get to be so creative and you get to work with cameras and technical aspects, and you know, you put that together and you've got this wonderful, funny symphony.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask, how did you like? How was it directing the show?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: How was it directing us?
Speaker 3: It was a wonderful experience.
Speaker 2: How was it directing Bob?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Bob is such a pain in the ass. I mean, he was just you know, it made sense why directors would just shake their heads all those years, you know, because I feel like, like, oh boy, he's not off book, but he's out of his mind, off somewhere making people laugh. And it's like, Bob, you don't even know your lines. You should probably be taking that energy and putting it into memorizing your life. But you know, he was. He was a laugh junkie, you know, he for sure, you know, if he had an audience there, he was going to make sure that they were laughing at him. And you know, a lot of times it was to his own detriment.
Speaker 1: True. I always loved being directed by you. I've never the one time I've seen you serious is when you're flying or when you're directing. Other than that, you're just making jokes all the time, but or farting, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. We joke. We're like, ooh, it's serious day.
Speaker 1: It's serious day, serious day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, but did you have to be?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know, I built this house that I'm sitting in here, and it was it was a tough build. It took me seventeen months. But I approached it like directing a show, like the plans are your script. I just didn't realize I was going to be working with so many actors. Contractors are a whole world. But you know, I love being able to work with all of these different personalities doing different things, and then falling back on the script the plans to make sure that everything was executed properly. It was a real challenge, but I'm glad I did it.
Speaker 2: You know, it was we We love the pictures of you in your in your little tractor back hove thing with your little hero let me go. Yeah, you've got tractor, and I just always pictured Dave. I'm like, he's just he's just plowing something on his property, digging a trench somewhere, happy and just with the dogs. And that's it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Today I'm going to be loading stone on our driveway and we have these big walkways and I have to put pea gravel in between those walkway pieces.
Speaker 2: And you're going to drink a lot of water, that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah, we'll be a director later today.
Speaker 2: Oh well, enjoy I love that. Do we want to play one of these? I mean, I mean, well.
Speaker 1: I want to. I want to talk about full House. Rewind. We can't let you go without talking about Congratulations. Your podcast is back. It's very exciting. I love watching it.
Speaker 2: It's true, really really fun.
Speaker 1: A unique show that combines video, interviews, impressions, puppets. It's like a variety show, and it's so cool to watch you create.
Speaker 3: You thanks.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I love being a host. You know, I kind of started in show business being a host hosting a series on Nickelodeon called out of Control. So I wanted to I wanted to create something that, you know, I could do my voices and have puppets, a little bit of Pee Wee's Playhouse, but but kind of drag one foot in the world of full House, you know, and do just something different than a podcast, kind of do a video podcast and create like a little show around full House. So yeah, we we relaunched with Staymos as our guest.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited because you guys are going to come on.
Speaker 2: Yes, can't wait, Yes, it would be really fun. Can't wait.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to see the set. The set which so cool. You got like the plaid, the plaid couch chair, sitting chair. It's so cool.
Speaker 3: It's so tiny, which is a metaphor for my life. But it's just a tiny little set, you know. But we're having fun and I get to write the episodes and it's a real challenge, you know, trying to be funny with these characters that you know, I'm borrowing mister Woodchuck and comment. We have character Granny Tanner and always see her ankles. So it's been really fun. It's been a real challenge. You know. We're back, which good. I'm going to be very busy again.
Speaker 1: So what has surprised you most? Rewatching or I guess watching for the rewatching, your watching it for the first time.
Speaker 3: You guys were so good. You guys were so freaking good. I mean, you were so funny. Just to have that kind of timing. You you can't teach a kid to have timing. You just either have that or you don't. And I mean, you know, because I'm going back to first season. I just watched the scene Jody with you in Candice where you get as episode I think it's thirteen called Sisterly Love where you get the commercial boat.
Speaker 2: Yes we did, yeap oak boats.
Speaker 1: Yeah ooatscial.
Speaker 3: So I'm watching you too. And then you have that heartfelt scene. First of all, you were so funny in it. Secondly you have that heartfelt scene and I'm tearing up. I'm like, it got me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I.
Speaker 3: Wasn't expecting that all these years later. I was expecting to be a little bit cynical about it, and you know, but it pulled me in and I went this, I'm seeing why it was so special to so many people. Yeah, you know, to rewatch them because I never watched the show. You know, I always thought I'll be hooked up to machines having a full house marathon.
Speaker 1: God, let me just.
Speaker 2: See one last time.
Speaker 3: That's right. Oh, look at that. He's dead. That actor is dead.
Speaker 5: That guest star is dead.
Speaker 2: I mean we have had that a few times. We're like, oh that's so and so is all they're dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Little Richard's dead.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, comment has been dead for thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know I did have that realization like, oh yeah, crazy.
Speaker 3: But going back, Andrew to your point, you guys were remarkable. You were just really and you can't fake that. You can't, and you can't fake the chemistry that exists on the show. You either have that or you don't. You can't, you can't manufacture, and.
Speaker 2: It was it for us. I mean, it's kind of been fun to go back, like watching the old episodes and really seeing this family kind of find that chemistry and come together, Like you really do see the progression of our relationships on screen. You see the the you know, Ashley and Mary Kate start really warming up and being much more like a part of it, and them growing up, and you just start seeing the in between stuff of affection and real camaraderie amongst us as a as a family. And I love that the show really was you know, it wasn't about this family that already existed. It was about this family sort of coming together and figuring out how did it come right? And I realize now, like we really watched that, it was like watching these people become the family that they turned into.
Speaker 3: And it's also really interesting that we have different perspectives because while we were out on that stage, you guys were in a classroom, you know, being kids, you know, and you know, there's kind of two two generations here talking about the same show, which I think is really interesting because you know, you guys are driving to Full House with your mom's right, I'm driving with Bob or John, you know, and we're going to Vegas after the show on Friday night. You guys are going to a birthday party, right, you know, with Mary, Kate and Ashley, you know. So I think it's really interesting that we do have those two different perspectives of what life was like as we go back and venture and take a look at these episodes.
Speaker 2: It's really interesting. Well, I always think about it, like I don't really have a part of my life that I remember prior to having Full House in it. I don't have experiences that I really viscerally remember prior to five years old, you know, so like this has always been a part of my life, I don't, you know, like you guys as adults have like the before and the after. I like, I, you know, even I guess really for you you were ten, like you know, at same with Ashon Marcatte, like, there was never a before, there was just right what it was, and and after, you know, it's kind of crazy.
Speaker 1: And there's a lot of questions that we don't know the answers to, such as who came up with the mannequin wearing the same shirt as Joey Gladstone in those first the first half of the season, it was that you.
Speaker 3: Were j It was me, yeah, because I just thought, I just thought this is really weird. I wondered if the audience will get it. And it was just dumb. It was dumb. It drove the prop people insane.
Speaker 2: I'm sure they were like absolutely, Roger Yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, our prop master. It drove them nuts. And then I realized it's not really a you know, it's not a catchy, cool thing. It's kind of dumb.
Speaker 1: Oh. I loved it. I enjoyed it. We look every we.
Speaker 2: Made, yeah, every episode, we've made quite the issue out of it, and particularly the ones where the mannequin changed during the episode, mostly because it led me to the questions of who is doing the changing, and why does Joey have these extra shirts for the mannequin? And do you really have room for a mannequin in an alcove. There's lots of things, but yeah, it begs right, And if you're living in an alcove, you will have to have not only your own stuff, but now the mannequin stuff too. Like it just I had a lot of questions. I had a hidden wardrobe shack somewhere right yest well in that the little yellow bug which was Joey's car, wasn't it that we like saw twice Yeah, with the friend with the with the fronk, that was that was your closet. No, I just yeah, the glove compartment was where you kept all the mannequins close.
Speaker 3: But I just watched the Bullet episode. Yes, yeah, you know John, somehow the car goes.
Speaker 2: In right, and he's fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No one cares about cars.
Speaker 2: We're like, what happen to the car? Oh you almost died?
Speaker 1: Eh?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So then I directed the episode where you recrash Bullet right through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. You've got all the difficult episodes. You had the Nutcrackers, you had the car in the kitchen.
Speaker 3: That show was named Nutcracker for a reason. Yeah, but yeah, I had it. Seemed like all the special effects always landed. Yeah, he goes, I'm sorry, Dave. I'm like what He's like, You've got the this thing where we're doing all this green screen.
Speaker 2: Video, right. But I also feel like every week on Fuller House was some new fresh hell of a stunt or a costume or a thing. So it was much more so than the like the original show. I'm like, ah, and we had a song montage and every episode, but we didn't have a full scale like you know, Hamilton costumes or you know, things like that.
Speaker 3: In that Nutcracker episode that was the first one I directed. Yeah, and Andrew and you were so funny in that episode.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, one of my favorites, getting that dance, getting the ballet on its feet, and Jeff is constantly changing the choreography or how many times my character died in the ballet, And I remember being so frustrated and I'm like, Dave, tell Jeff to stop changing his mind. And you were so good talking me down. You were just like, just let write it out, write it out. Jeff will see it. He'll see the problems in all of his ideas and it will all come together. And it did. It all came together.
Speaker 3: I remember giving you a bit where you die and you.
Speaker 1: Yes, the feet the feet keep.
Speaker 3: That's how Curly would die in the Three Studies, always kick his legs, you know. And I always thought that was so funny. And I went, Andrea, let me show you something. This is a Three Stooges move.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you were so good at those little details makes such a big difference. And you were so good at the details of comedy.
Speaker 3: It was so funny, it was It just made me laugh seeing you do Curly from the.
Speaker 2: Threes dressed as a giant.
Speaker 1: Rats a giant just as a giant rat.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: The other question we have that to put this debate to rest. Is it Uncle Joey or is it just Joey?
Speaker 2: Are you Joey?
Speaker 3: It's just Joey. Here's how it became. Here's how it became Uncle Joey.
Speaker 1: Okay, tell us because.
Speaker 3: In one of the early shows, I forget which one of your characters said Uncle Jesse and Joey are coming, and it it just stuck where we were kind of the uncles, and we just we just got bonded, right, And I think there is an episode where one of you guys says Uncle Joey is coming or Uncle Joey was here or something, but I think it's actually said in one of the episodes.
Speaker 1: It is. There's there's it's a scene where you're in the shower with all of like this pink hair, like the shower cap.
Speaker 2: He's got the swimming cap and the goggles. He's given the baby a bath or something.
Speaker 1: And and Jesse hands you the baby and says, here, go to uncle Joey. That's that's the only time I've heard it.
Speaker 2: So it was John. It was n John John John.
Speaker 3: I'd lived that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, yeah, guaranteed that wasn't in the script.
Speaker 3: But everybody you know introduces me as uncle Joey, and it's okay, you know, being America's uncle. It's nice.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a term of endearment.
Speaker 2: Exactly, yes, exactly, yes. I just always like to clarify because people like uncle Joe. I'm like, well, technically it's not Uncle Joe, it's Uncle Jesse and Joey. But I get I will let it slide on a technound just.
Speaker 3: I've just accepted it, and I don't fight it anymore. I don't correct people. It's like Jeff Daniels lives here in Michigan.
Speaker 2: It's very coy have we ever seen you two in the same room.
Speaker 3: You haven't. But Jeff and I are good friends. And you know, he says, if one more person comes up and does that, stupid cut it. Whatever you do. I said, hey, if one more person comes up to me and asked, are you dom or domer? You know, but we you know, we've talked about it, and he just said, he goes, I don't fight it anymore. Right, I don't correct people. I just say, sure, I'll sign it.
Speaker 2: Does he sign it, Dave Coolier like your dad told him to.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Make sure you sign it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just people, Oh, Jeff, how's it going? And then I'll sign it like Shirley Temple. There you go.
Speaker 2: They're probably very confused.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's Shirley Temple's signature by Dave Coolier on a photo of Jeff Daniels and the eBay resale on that is astounding.
Speaker 3: You want to talk about dum.
Speaker 1: Well, Dave, we're so happy you got to join us. Unless you have more to say, like we can we could just keeping.
Speaker 2: I just know we wanted to keep you. I know we had you had to be off at a certain time, so we don't want to keep. I mean, we'll keep you as long as you know you'll let us.
Speaker 3: I saw we've been unpacking stuff, and I saw the script and one of you guys wrote Billy de Belle inside my script.
Speaker 2: It might have been it might have been Candace, might have well might have been anyways. I know I used to draw like I. I became the one that would just draw in appropriate pictures on people's scripts during notes.
Speaker 3: Oh, I wonder where you got that from?
Speaker 1: Do you know I donated? No idea, I donated accidentally. There was a charity that asked for a full house script for a donation for an auction, so I donated it. I think it was a school actually, like an elementary school. And so the secretary called me after.
Speaker 2: She goes like, there's a giant wiener.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a giant wiener on the back of the script. I was like, oh, sorry, I had to provide a new script because I couldn't we couldn't auction that off to the children, the needy children we had.
Speaker 3: I mean, Bob would draw those on my script constantly during notes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep. And then I started doing it and I would draw them on Candace and Andrew's script. During notes, Jeff would be giving a very something or or Bob Boy, it would be giving a note and I would just be drawing, just a wiener on Cannas's script and like, and she was just like, what are you stop? And I like, I'm dead pan just doing it and she's just dying, like what is happening?
Speaker 1: It was great, you've taught us so well.
Speaker 3: Bob was so nuts durring notes. It was so so unproductive. It was just he would it was his moment where he was he would just lose it for an hour.
Speaker 2: Well, he'd been trying to keep it together so well the rest of the day that finally he was just and he was sitting down in one place so he couldn't past and wander off and do it was just it all came out and he would do his uh.
Speaker 3: He would do his Raiders Lost.
Speaker 1: Art, Oh Indiana.
Speaker 3: Jones would slice himself open, carry carry right well all his guts out, throw him over a tree, and then swing by his own guts. And because he was swinging from his guts, his his lungs would open and close and that would.
Speaker 1: Such a detailed bit.
Speaker 2: It was such a detailed absurd, where and why did this happen? And why is it still funny to us to this day. I don't know because everyone else listening is like, that's really gross, really horrifying, and we're really sorry listener, but this is this is who we are as real people. And but I miss.
Speaker 3: Him daily because I'll be driving in my truck and this time of year, around the holidays, Bob would call me and sing a filthy Christmas song. I especially miss him around the holidays, and it was always something false out of you know, it was always the filthiest some Christmas song where he would sing. He was like an insane caroller. And I have so many bits that I can only do with Bob, and I'll think of one and I'll go, I can't call him and like let this.
Speaker 5: Bob sag.
Speaker 2: And I can't because if you did it to anyone else, they'd just be like, are you okay? What's wrong with you? I'm a concern? Oh man? What a wonderful walk down memory lane. Yes, yeah, And I loved hearing just more about you know you and growing up and what what it was like.
Speaker 1: And you know, i'd never heard the story about your brother teaching you how to do impressions.
Speaker 3: That's yeah, he was. He was so funny. My brother was like he was the leader of all the kids on our blocky. He was like the pied piper, right, and he would do the most bizarre things, like my brother dressed up like a dead kid and charged a quarter to see a dead kid. Yeah, my brother, My brother. My brother built a little like funeral parlor down our basement. And I went down the basement and he had this record going that was just church organ music. And I walked down. There's there's light, and he's laying there with a rosary with a suit on. And he waxed his hair back and put a suit and tie on. And I walked down and I go, Danny, what are you doing? He goes, I'm going to charge kids a quarter to see a dead body. How are you going to get him down there? He goes, I'll give you ten cents of every quarter if you go get the kids. Yes. So my brother put a suit on and made a casket down our basement with a little light shining on him. And I remember he was probably only like maybe seven years old, but it was it was brilliant. And so I would go and round up kids in the neighborhood. I go, my brother's dead and he's down our basement see a dead body. And the kid's like, he's not. I'm like, it's going to cost you a quarter. So I would bring kids down and it was all scary and spooky, and some kids would run out, you know, because my brother did like make up.
Speaker 2: And right right right, like he really went for it.
Speaker 3: He like putting.
Speaker 2: It was called but you were getting a lot for that quarter. Yes, commitment, yes, production value, but.
Speaker 3: We probably made fifteen barks. It was a lot of money.
Speaker 2: It's also also is just a statement to the age old thing, which is also proven by stand by me that kids just want to see dead bodies and I don't know why and they're weird, but here we are. Kids will be like I will go on a three day hike to go see a dead body.
Speaker 3: My brother. My brother had the best one liners too, Like my dad never went to the dentist his entire life. So like every year we'd see a picture of my dad and a family photo, we go, he's missing another tooth, that one's gone, Like, let's like here's last year the tooth was there, right, My dad. I don't know why my dad was terrified of doctors and dentists, but he never went to a dentist's entire life.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: So, one year, my nephew, Taylor is born. He's a baby, and my dad's holding him, and my dad sneezes, and my brother said, you better check Taylor's forehead for teeth. I remember my dad getting so mad, but he couldn't mention anything about it because it was like the thing you never talked about. But I remember me and my sisters laughing. We couldn't. We had to walk out of the room because it was so funny. But my dad and my brother had a kind of a weird laurel and hearty dynamic where they were always making jokes and cutting each other down. But it was hysterical. So every year at Thanksgiving, my dad would wait till there was a quiet moment and he'd go, boy, this is really nice. You know, I'm probably not going to be here next year, but you know what, Thank goodness, you know I got to spend this Thanksgiving with you guys and my brother without missing a beat, says dad. Look when it finally happens, can you just make sure it's on a Thursday, so I can set you out with the garbage, you know.
Speaker 2: But it was just, you know, very shark right right.
Speaker 3: Funny, weird family, you know somebody. The time I met Bob, I was like, oh, I got.
Speaker 2: This right, Yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: See I make jokes like that. My mom's like this, what is something's wrong with you? Something is wrong with you?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: My dad would always say, Dave, you got a screw loose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah's I'm wrong with you. But yeah my mom, I didn't that. I wouldn't have joked like that. I go now, but it's funny. Yeah, oh, thank you. So this was such a great I could just talk to you for hours sitting here in the rain. We already have, I then, yes we have, but we love you and we can't wait to do your show. Do you want to tell people where they can find it.
Speaker 3: You can find us on YouTube at full House, rewind or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: It's every fantastic.
Speaker 3: And I can't wait for you for you guys to come do the show. I can't wait to just see you guys because we have I know always it's.
Speaker 2: Very hard you living all the way in Michigan. Now because I used to see you a lot more.
Speaker 3: Well, you have to come and see this place. It's pretty extraordinary.
Speaker 2: I will say that the giant bathroom house. I can't wait.
Speaker 1: I'm coming just for the beidays.
Speaker 3: Yes, many different.
Speaker 2: One each day, I have to say at least a week.
Speaker 3: Yes, Yes, you can use a new toilet here every day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm so glad. We ended on the same note that we started, which was toilet.
Speaker 3: Ye. Yes, welcome to this version of out house. Yes. I love you guys so much.
Speaker 1: I love you.
Speaker 2: Go have fun in your tractor.
Speaker 3: The tractors right outside, so yes, get that stuff done.
Speaker 2: And tell tell Mel we said hello and we love her, and send big hugs and we will see you soon in person.
Speaker 1: Okay, can't wait.
Speaker 2: Bye bye. That interview went exactly as as I thought it would, which was hilarious, but also I'm I don't know what we did.
Speaker 1: I can't tell you a thing we talked about.
Speaker 2: I'm lost now. If you want to follow us on Instagram, you can check us out at Howard Podcast. You can also send us an email at Howard podcast at gmail dot com. Make sure and like and subscribe to the podcast. So we can keep bringing you more hilariously fun, ridiculous full house recaps and mini sodes. Also send us your questions for many sodes. We love to hear those two uh and so remember, everybody, until next time. The house is not I got overconfident, you're so overcome. The world is small, but the house is full.
Speaker 1: I knew you couldn't do too many in a row.
Speaker 2: That's what. Yeah, that yet yeh
Speaker 3: Mhm