Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe, Katty.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Jettie and now he Armstrong and Yetty.
Speaker 3: Raising money so more kids can join Scouts and have the sort of experience my son has had this year, which has been fantastic. Twenty six dollars from a couple of Scouts from the eighties. Appreciate that. Fifty dollars from what appears to be a cheesecake one.
Speaker 2: Of our favorite clips ever.
Speaker 3: Two hundred bucks from Joe's doormatt seasoned ribs.
Speaker 2: That's a story long way back.
Speaker 1: That's a throw down, Katie. You've never heard that story. Joe, Joe dropped the ribs he was cooking, and then now who have now wait a minute, no, no, no, no, you got to let me tell a story.
Speaker 2: It's my story.
Speaker 1: We were having dinner with a couple that we had just met and befriended. Okay, and I worked for a very very long time to cook some delicious baby back ribs. Took a great deal of care, and it was at the moment that I was going to bring them to the table that I somehow in trying to open the backscreen door, and all they slid off the platter right onto the doormat.
Speaker 3: The doormat where everybody wipes their feet coming in and out of your house.
Speaker 2: And it was the.
Speaker 1: Sort of doormat that held a great deal of material. Okay, it was not like a shallow one. It was deep with like bristles and stuff like that. And so I pick it up. I look at it and think, what do I do? The dormata has the things from your shoes that you thought were too disgusting to track into your house.
Speaker 2: So you scraped them off.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, as a dog owner, by the way, oh yes. And so I decided what I needed to do was to sneak into the kitchen unleast some very very hot water from the faucet completely. And I had been saucing these ribs and smoking them and cooking them, and all.
Speaker 2: I scrubbed the ribs clean, re sauce.
Speaker 1: Them, throw them back on the grill for like three minutes, then brought them in and served.
Speaker 2: Them from that season drib Yeah did you tell people? I don't remember?
Speaker 1: No, no, absolutely not, which could be my only crime.
Speaker 2: What is this? A hair and old band aid?
Speaker 1: What I know you, I know you think you're being funny, but I uh but I I cleansed that those were that rack of ribs with the great energy.
Speaker 2: How many of those people are still with us? Just just two of the five?
Speaker 1: Boy, everybody was fine, little hair, little gravel could bitch you.
Speaker 2: Huh. The ribs there means so see me. Probably probably got them through COVID. Right.
Speaker 4: If only it was in the day and age of the ring camera.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, that would have been well, my look would have been, oh no. And then when the light bulb goes on ding, Wait a minute, I love that.
Speaker 3: So we got two hundred bucks from Joe's doormat seasoned ribs. Uh, fifty bucks from love your Ukrainian girlfriend. I'm happy to see she's still uh, you know, hold.
Speaker 2: Them on to hope between the two of us. Wow, and he can't let go.
Speaker 3: Twenty five bucks from that time Jack said his cell number on the air.
Speaker 2: That's right. I was given out the text line, and I gave.
Speaker 3: Out almost all of my own personal cellphone over before I realized I was.
Speaker 2: Given out the wrong number. I think all but like one or two digits. That's probably why I get some of the texts and things that I get.
Speaker 3: Anyway, We've got an idea for raising money for the Scouts coming up in a little bit and it's alive tradition around here.
Speaker 2: It's special.
Speaker 3: We do it every year. I know a lot of people wait for it. You're gonna like stop from work or whatever you're doing. Maybe bring the kids in. It's that cherished a Christmas tradition.
Speaker 1: It's inspired a lot of giving over inspired is one word.
Speaker 2: So we'll get to that next segment.
Speaker 1: So handful of headlines for you, just very briefly open Violent jew Hatred exposes the anti Semitism of anti Zionism. It's a really smart, well informed article about all the times people have said I'm not anti Semitic, I'm just anti Zionist, and then all the poor Jewish people getting beat up around the globe purely for being Jewish. Here's here's another good one. The West needs to open its eyes to honor killings. That's in the Wall Street Journal. Beloved tradition among some Muslims of if your daughter dishonors you, you get to murder her, and the penalties are very mild, and a lot of the Muslim world that's right, you heard me. There's a great piece by Brendan O'Neil about the hunting of Jews at Bondi Beach. Here's the New York Post f grades handed to fourteen colleges in anti Semitism report card as Jewish students are forced to hide their identities. And then that report from Columbia where instructors told students a shame your people survived the Holocaust.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, which leads.
Speaker 1: Us to that Turtle Island terrorist group, the Turtle Island Liberation Front can.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Their plan was.
Speaker 1: To bomb to detonate five bombs across LA on New Year's Eve, and they would paint Hamas triangles that Hamas uses to indicate Israeli targets on their targets. According to the federal criminal complaint that is known, they are radically anti Jewish, anti Zionist as as well as being anti capitalism and anti government. It's the Omni Cause turned militant and violent and hateful. No democrats in California have commented on the plot. Gavin Newsom, Senator Alex Padilla, Adam Schiff, Kern Bass of LA, more than a dozen House Democrats who represent parts of LA have remained silent on the coordinated bomb plot a radical anti Israel group planned before it was falled foiled by the fence. Imagine if any sort of right wing group had been caught planning a New Year's Eve terrorist attack.
Speaker 3: Proud Boys or whoever you want it to be. Oh my god, how many speeches would Gavin have given already?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: And a lot of these people were active on social media with various announcements or complaints or whatever. Representative Robert Garcia, Democrat, posted a statement lamented the murders of filmmaker Rob Ryan and his wife in referenced domestic terrorism without providing any additional details. They are extremely uncomfortable with the fact that these people are their people. They are globalized, the Intifada people. They are down with capitalism people. They are absolutely steeped in critical theory, I'm sure, radical queer theory and race theory and the rest event.
Speaker 2: That's something. Your silence is something else, Gavvy.
Speaker 3: So that Bondi Beach massacre from Australia. You got the dude from Syria who snuck up on one of the shooters, tackled and got his gun away from him, and then for some reason, And you can't criticize a guy because he did something heroic.
Speaker 2: Didn't shoot him? Why didn't shoot him?
Speaker 3: But anyway, guy runs off, and the story I heard yesterday was got a gun and started shooting again. Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm not no, no, I'm not going after him. It's just a surprising detail. I mean, because if you've seen the whole video, he gets a gun away from him and points it at.
Speaker 2: Him, but then the guy runs off. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of cops and soldiers would tell you it's a lot harder to shoot somebody than you think it is.
Speaker 3: The other part that I hid didn't hear until yesterday is a a cop did take out Dad with what he and other people are calling a miraculous shot given it was a pistol at quite a distance, but just pulled off the shot of a lifetime able to bring the guy down.
Speaker 2: Thank god. Yeah, there's a.
Speaker 3: Pictures and video of it. He very wisely really took his time as opposed to, like, you know, it'd be.
Speaker 2: Very easy to be in a hurry, lam plam, plam plam.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he really took his time as a guy and probably has spent a lot of time at the range and uh, with the proper form took the guy out.
Speaker 1: Exhale, pull gently, right, that's something Yeah. Wow, well again, thank god, could have been worse, which is hard to picture.
Speaker 3: Wow about what would have happened if that terrorist attack for La New Year's Eve had happened. Wow, that had been a disruptor for the United States. We don't need that. We do not need more political violence.
Speaker 2: No, indeed, but it's being plotted.
Speaker 3: Because there's always a there's the political you know, turmoil the way it royals our rhetoric, but then there's always some sort of actual reaction from the other side, whichever the other side is.
Speaker 1: So my final note from the piece that I referenced by oh it's the New York Post editorial board, here's my favorite sentence, what else could globalize the inta fada ever have possibly meant?
Speaker 2: Right? Right, very good point. Coming up next? A cherished what was that? Grown? Was that a groan?
Speaker 1: M You know? That was a that was an of warm memories, nostalgia and enjoyment of the season.
Speaker 2: Jack, Is that what that was? A cherished Armstrong and Getty holiday tradition?
Speaker 3: On the way next, arm Strong and let's see if I can get a decent scale just for.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good. That's not bad for having not picked up the violin in a year, ear.
Speaker 1: Blood, and you're years of studying. I mean you've like never even taken a lesson, right, No, No, I've practiced a total of like an hour on the violin in my entire life presses and you know it's a friendless instrument. So I pulled off a scale there whatever.
Speaker 2: It's actually pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean I wouldn't like put on my hard shoes to go see you in a concert hall. But what you might be if you tuned in, you might be wondering, why is Jack who can't play the violin practicing a scale on a fiddle.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a beloved armstrong and getty tradition.
Speaker 1: As we raise money for wonderful causes, in this case, scholarships for young lads and girls who'd want to be Scouts and maybe don't have the money, and scouting is such a positive influence in their lives, we want to make sure they have that experience. And we've offered plenty of carrot nice interviews stories from scouts and how it's changed their lives and inspired them to become the people they've become. But for some of you that hasn't been enough. The carrot has passed uneaten. So out comes the step.
Speaker 2: That's right, and the stick is a fiddle and a trombone.
Speaker 1: Right without music, playing beloved Christmas classics until we raise how much did we decide?
Speaker 2: Probably three grand? All right?
Speaker 1: Need to get three thousand dollars together, starting right now, Jack, I will call the first tune if you don't mind. I'm a deep and we have no music, and I've oh I have any mentioned. I've got my beloved trombone in hand many many years ago. I could play this thing, not now.
Speaker 2: Well, and you don't have any music? Yeah, like you said, so right, I suggest the Christmas classic. It came upon a midnight Do I even know how that goes? It came upon okay? I meant night? Ready? Two? Three?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 5: So this isn't gonna start until we get three off.
Speaker 6: Let's see, we've got Jack's podcast audibleve mouth slurp.
Speaker 2: Sorry about that one.
Speaker 6: That was a mistake, all right, Since this has begun, I a different song, Kathy, a different song something I know the melody better.
Speaker 3: I think i'd be much better there. How's the money coming in and go to Armstrong and getty dot com. It's easy to donate. I know it gets jammed up a little bit, but you can do it. Here we go, all right, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: What's the tune? Jingle bells? Oh? Okay, jingle bells? What temple do we want? Jingle bells? Jingle bells? Two three four?
Speaker 4: Okay, Well we just got Robert who donated fifty dollars. Clearly wants this to come to an end. Blatness, so blattest twenty six dollars, even this one. I was ten coming in with twenty six, Nancy.
Speaker 2: With fifty two. Say now the dashing through the snow part.
Speaker 5: No, we're on our way.
Speaker 2: Ha ha ha, I'm through.
Speaker 5: In the ha.
Speaker 2: That was very important. Okay, what's more? Even more painful than it sounds? More good?
Speaker 3: Song as we and if you donated Armstrong, you getty dot com, this all can come to a store.
Speaker 2: Stop. Yeah, all right, do you have an idea? Oh? Come on, come on, silent night, there you go, all right, here we go. It foruld be a silent for the now.
Speaker 1: And it's walls two three.
Speaker 2: Oh, that was almost right. That was good. So it's the hot wish it was a silent night.
Speaker 4: Michael has found out a million dollars.
Speaker 2: To make this a silent night. Yeah, Michael got a beautiful.
Speaker 1: The baby Jesus have got to throw the first punch of his life.
Speaker 2: Where are we at for our total? Did you refresh? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I'm refreshing.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think that I think that might be good. You're stupid?
Speaker 4: Did hurt just contributed fifth you box?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Thank you very much? Stupid? Did hurt for you? Now?
Speaker 1: I could I could be talked into playing a little more. No, no, any requests of events.
Speaker 2: I would like more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I could more of this every year, I think, you know what, I'm gonna start practicing a little bit and get a little and then I ever do. I literally had not opened the case since this day last.
Speaker 2: Year when I put it away.
Speaker 1: You know, other than the people I love, music has meant more to me than anything in my life. And I have no idea how I got talked into playing the trombone. It was a bad idea to find instrument in this symphotic setting. Sure, but unless you're James pan Cow of Chicago, it won't do you a damn bit of good of rock and roll.
Speaker 3: What do you wish you had played and it spent as much time practicing if you could start over.
Speaker 1: Honestly, like a piano or like saxophone. I mean, I've played zillions hours of guitar and I still stink. But yeah, something that was more useful in rock and roll, honestly.
Speaker 2: But it's okay.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, A great twenty five dollars donation from needed this when I was ten. That's a great one, as in I wish I'd had Scouts when I was a kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's a good one.
Speaker 3: Raging tromboner in for twenty five dollars, appreciate everybody donating. Really hoping to hit one hundred and fifty grand by the end of the show. We do have a whale we know that's coming in at some point, which is gonna help.
Speaker 1: We're in about one twenty nine right now, so we need a pretty decent chunk of money.
Speaker 3: I mean, we need about twenty grand to get to our goal by the end of the hour.
Speaker 2: That's interesting about the musical instrument.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of people, if they ever play at all, just kind of randomly end up on one. I wish I had taken it way more seriously when I'm younger, if I had to practice like I practice now, I would have loved to have seen, you know, what I could have done. Not that I ever wanted to make money or be professional or anything like that, just the enjoyment.
Speaker 1: It's more enjoyable to play better. Uh yeah, absolutely, yeah, I was so were motivated. Actually I was a pretty good brass player, but and it was fun and I met a lot of nice people. No regrets. How much do you think is talent and how much do you think is effort? I always wonder that about.
Speaker 2: Some of each. We're out of time, Thank you very much. We got more on the way. Stay here, Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 7: Democrat politicians also set the course of grocery storry, but we are solving that too. The price of a Thanksgiving turkey was down thirty three percent compared to the Biden last year. The price of eggs is down eighty two percent since March, and everything else is falling rapidly. And it's not done yet, but boy are we making progress. Nobody can believe what's going on.
Speaker 3: I hope I live long enough to see how Trump is treated by history. Nixon used to say, it takes forget how many years, twenty five years before history is ripe enough to pick off the tree the first time something like that said.
Speaker 2: I have no idea how Trump will be treated by history.
Speaker 3: We certainly know he's treated now and here on the Armstrong and Getty Show. I'll speak only for myself. I have no need to defend everything he does or attack everything he does. I don't know what percentage of people are in that camp. It seems like practically everybody in the media either have to defend every single thing he does or attack every single thing he does, which is just intellectually dishonest.
Speaker 2: It doesn't even make any sense.
Speaker 1: It's a little weird as a citizen too, although it's kind of the tribal times we live in, and I get why people use that as their business model. I just we agree, we just don't choose to do that. I won are how many people in real life field that way?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, my family is some of the trumpiest people I know, but even they have limits where it's sometimes like why did you do that?
Speaker 2: Why'd you say that?
Speaker 3: Like what he truthed out about rob Ryner the other day was just horrific. What do you, as the president of the uniteds dates doing weighing in on that. On the other hand, I'm so glad Kamala Harris is not president. I mean, without reservation, that could have been cataclysmic. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I don't use that term lightly. No. AnyWho, here's another why did he do this? Donald Trump? Thing? Old? Did you see this?
Speaker 3: So in the White House they got all the pictures of all the presidents on in one of your hall's one of your rooms. Yes, and Trump put in new plaques underneath the pictures that it looks like he wrote, and their big bronze plaques that look like they've been there forever, but they've only been there for a couple of days.
Speaker 2: And for instance, under.
Speaker 3: Joe Biden's official picture in the White House, I'll just read you part of the plaque because it's very long. It says sleepy Joe Biden was by far the worst president in American history.
Speaker 2: I mean, I understand laughing at it. I'm laughing at it right now, but it's just so hilarious that a sitting president would put new I mean, these pictures have always been up. Not always, but for many, many, many years, they've.
Speaker 3: Had up all the pictures of the presidents, including the latest, and there was no plaque. But he put up accident in like completely trumpy language.
Speaker 2: It is hilarious. It's also shocking. It's also incredibly petty.
Speaker 3: Right, and we'll accomplish nothing other than making me laugh for five minutes. Well, I'll just give me a good laugh, which, you know, Jack, with the weight of the world on our shoulders these days, they appreciate. It's got the official plaque. Look, I mean it's a black with bronze lettering, big thick. I mean they put some effort into this. Oh I'm not laughing, I'm crying. Sleepy Nation, Sleepy Joe Biden was by far the worst president of American history. Taking office as a result of the most corrupt election ever seen in the United States, Biden oversaw a series of unprecedented disasters that brought our nation to the brink of destruction. And it goes on from there. For like, he had to do two plaques to fit it all in. Nicknamed both Sleepy and Crooked, Joe, Biden was dominated by his radical left handlers, So there you go.
Speaker 2: That's the plaque he put in.
Speaker 3: And obviously you don't even need to say this. The next president, probably Republican or Democrat, will take those plaques down.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's hard to know if jd. Vance would take him down or not. Might take him down quietly on a holiday weekend, and hope nobody notices this, because it's pretty silly.
Speaker 1: What's funny about Trump to me is that he feels like he needs to point that out because I think he's semi obsessed with.
Speaker 2: Media that's critical to him.
Speaker 1: I mean, because people have made fun of him for watching Fox News all the time. I don't think he does. He watches Morning Joe, and he meets the Washington Post, and he.
Speaker 2: New York.
Speaker 3: He's obsessed with what Morning Joe and the New York Times say about him.
Speaker 2: Yeah right.
Speaker 1: And I would say to him, mister parsident, there are plenty of us out here, lots and lots of us who, when you're right, say yeah, he's absolutely right.
Speaker 2: So like the fine, the plaque under George W. Bush is fairly just.
Speaker 3: Looks like a sophomore paper written by somebody who kind of like George Bush. I mean, it's got nothing super critical in it. Barry Hussain Barack Obama. His plaque says Barack Hussein Obama was the first black president, a community organizer, one term Senator for Millinois, and one of the most divisive political figures in American history.
Speaker 2: That's in the White House. Yes, come on.
Speaker 3: As president, he passed the highly ineffective Unaffordable Care Act, resulting in his party losing control of both Houses of Congress and the election of the largest House Republican majority since nineteen forty six. He presided over a stagnant economy, approved a terrible Iran uclear deal, and signed the one sided Paris Climate Accords, both of which were later terminated by President Donald J.
Speaker 2: Trumph. Gee, I wonder who wrote these.
Speaker 1: It sounds like Trump wrote them himself one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: I think he wrote him himself.
Speaker 3: Yes, so he spent because there's a plaque for every president I've seen the hallway. I wonder if he only wrote some of them, but there's he just said, Look, I want to do Obama and Biden.
Speaker 2: As busy as he is, you wouldn't think you'd have time to sit down and dictate off these new plaques to put under the pictures.
Speaker 1: Well, you wouldn't think he'd have time to hit social media twenty times a day either.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: He I realized there's approval ratings aren't that good right now, and he takes a lot of flak from all over the place. But he has received more presidential votes than anybody who's ever run for the office. That is just a numerical fact, having run three times and almost one all three times did win twice. So what would you what would it take to like feel comfortable enough? So I'll use this as an example. Early on in my radio career, I've told the story many many times. Might it might have been forty one years ago tomorrow, because that's when my radio career started. Uh, like one of my very first shifts, like my first full time actually being paid for jobs, somebody called up and said you suck and hung up and I was devastated by this call.
Speaker 2: I sat there thinking, Oh my god, I suck.
Speaker 3: This is what I was planning to do, this is what I'm going to college for, this is my only job.
Speaker 2: I suck. What am I gonna do? I mean, I was just right, Oh that's terrible. I mean, I'm laughing.
Speaker 1: I'm nineteen years old, and uh, and then I went from suck to like, you know, am I funny or not?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: At some point, after enough years of making a house payment and car payment and feeding myself on being allegedly funny or interesting, you know, I just accept that I'm I'm funny enough and interesting enough to enough people to make a living.
Speaker 2: And if other people, if there's.
Speaker 3: A bunch of people who don't think so, I'm fine with that because enough people do.
Speaker 2: It's been proven through my you know, making.
Speaker 1: A living, and especially if you know anything about the business you just needed just a tiny minority people is plenty, you know.
Speaker 3: But not everybody needs to agree. But I'm comfortable in my own skin with that as a as an identity. How Trump can't get there? You were damn near elected. You almost won three presidential elections. You did win too. At what point do you need to feel like you have been a successful politician to where you're not this thin skinned?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And Petty, the best revenge is living well. Those those are good words, words to know, words to remember. It would be terrifying to spend five minutes in his brain, I mean in a lot of ways, to have his energy and drive I'll bet the pay self belief, I'll bet the pace.
Speaker 2: I would immediately think I can't keep this up all day long.
Speaker 1: But the grinding insecurity or pettiness or whatever, that'd be terrifying too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: One of the more fascinating people who's ever walked planet Earth without a doubt.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh my gosh, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: I want to squeeze in before the end of the show, and I'll do a very very short version of it. One of my favorite economics stories, one that should be taught in every high school in America and will be taught in practically no high schools in America could avoid a great deal of pain and angst across the fooded plain for decades to come.
Speaker 2: But it will be ignored. But you're going to hear about it. Cool.
Speaker 3: Well, let's break so we can have time for that, and also want to do a big push for Scouts. Boy, we just got a great donation. I love this one. Twenty five bucks from Scott Wild was the best scout master ever. And I don't know who Scott Wild is, but I'm sure this is somebody who is a Scout And that guy was a scout master and really liked him and made a difference in his life. And the parents out there that are dedicating so many hours for no pay to do that, whether it's youth sports or at your church or this with Scouts. I'm highly impressed by that. Anyway, we want more people to be able to sign up for Scouts, even if you can't quite afford it, and that's what we're raising money for. Want ahead one hundred and fifty dollars before the show ends. We're one thirty seven. Now, I know we can get there. We just need you to go to Armstrong in geddy dot com and donate a little bit.
Speaker 2: We got plenty of listeners. If everybody donate a little bit, we would get.
Speaker 1: There, including you people in the future listening to the podcast Armstrong in getty dot com.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it doesn't close, you know, we'll keep adding to this over the next couple of days. We're just kind of unofficially wrapping it up here in the next fifteen minutes.
Speaker 2: Go to Armstrong in getty dot com. More on the way Armstrong. Hey Yetty, the number of people.
Speaker 3: With the last name Merken who donate and I don't believe that's your last name, Google it.
Speaker 2: It's not a common term you come across anyway.
Speaker 1: I don't recall any friends or neighbors with that name. That's surname.
Speaker 3: Got one hundred bucks from Ruin the entire company company, Ruin the entire country knew some twenty twenty eight. That was Joe's idea. That's a good one. That's a popular T shirt we have at armstrong in geeddy dot com.
Speaker 2: What the hell is going on?
Speaker 3: Donate to the Scouts armstrong in geeddy dot com trying to hit one hundred and fifty before we get off the air in ten minutes.
Speaker 1: I would like to design some of classroom game that the kids could play in primary high school. Although frankly even adult could understand this. A young adult, I want to teach this in every high school in America. You got Minneapolis on one side of a river, Saint Paul on the other. In twenty twenty two, Saint Paul enacted one of the strictest rent control regimes in the country. The Ordnance capped annual rent increases at three percent for most apartments, even empty ones, no adjustment for inflation. Across the Mississippi River, Minneapolis steered clear rent control.
Speaker 2: Instead.
Speaker 1: City officials strictly focused on creating new housing. A package of land use revisions in twenty twenty made it easier to build apartments, in part by removing restrictions that limited houses to single family homes. Now the results are coming into focus. Permits to build apartments in Saint Paul, where they did rent control plummeted by seventy nine percent in one year. Let's call it eighty percent. An eighty percent reduction in anybody saying, Hey, I'd like to build some apartments. Real estate investment activity nearly froze. Developers halted projects that were already underway as their lenders pulled back because they doubted that the owners could make their payments. Property values declined as investment cooled. All this compounded the existing real estate problems brought on by the pandemic. Saint Paul officials are now walking back parts of the ordinance, said the new mayor herself landlord. Yeah, the math just doesn't work. In Minneapolis, meanwhile, developers kept building housing.
Speaker 2: Permits surged nearly.
Speaker 1: Fourfold in early twenty two from the year before, not cut by eighty percent. They quadrupled downtown hubs blossomed as new apartments hit the market and attracted young professionals. And guess what, Minneapolis rents grew much more slowly than both Saint Paul and the US.
Speaker 2: Overall, it made it better.
Speaker 3: Saint Paul is pretty wacky, beautiful city, and I had a wedding there one time.
Speaker 2: And spent some time in Minneapolis.
Speaker 3: Saint Paul absolutely gorgeous there, but the politics are wacky.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that Minneapolis, as woke as it is in a lot of ways, had realists who understood.
Speaker 2: Uh, real estate.
Speaker 1: For whatever reason, you know, you got your Mamdannie Omar Fatather and Minneapolis pitch and rent control just didn't resonate in Minneapolis. They didn't think it was a good idea and didn't do it.
Speaker 3: So as we wrap up here taking a look at people who are donating to are cause raising money, some more people can join the Scouts at Armstrong in getty dot com. Here you got seventy bucks from a family of seven Eagle Scouts.
Speaker 2: Wow, something.
Speaker 3: Fifty bucks from two eagles and a soup slurping marine. But the uh, the seven Eagle Scouts reminds me of my next door neighbors, the perfect family. I always call them nicest people in the world. They're just I just I just I'm not. I can't do what they do. They're like they just constantly exercising kids and all these different projects that they love.
Speaker 1: They eat well, they exercisele like, they speak multiple languages.
Speaker 2: I always see them studied at the molecular level. I wish I was like that. I'm just not. Yeah. Yeah, is it energy? Some people just have more energy than other people. Some of it's cultural, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Everybody around you acts like that from the time you're a little child. Some of it's personal. I think, Uh, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I gotta be fighting that. How many Eagle scouts did you say? Seven? Seven?
Speaker 1: Why can I hang out with you and feel inferior every single minute?
Speaker 2: That would be great.
Speaker 1: Oh, we got fifty bucks from make Jock, Make Jack stop talking about Prunes.
Speaker 2: Laz. Once you go prune, you'll never be maroon.
Speaker 3: What's one hundred and fifty bucks from Michael Angelo's gas station car wash?
Speaker 2: Is that a story? I don't remember, Michael, I don't remember. I call that no.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow is our clips of the year's show. So this is our actual like lie last talking about the news. I mean, if something really big happened we go to war with Venezuela. I suppose we would talk about that tomorrow at some length. But barring some giant news story, it's the Clips of the Years show. We go month by month with clips and discuss them, and then we get to the actual, like ten biggest clips of the year, and it's usually a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: And then we vote on the clip of the year and whoever speaks the clip of the.
Speaker 3: Whale, wardale for it, Starboard Bow.
Speaker 2: We got a whale. I can never remember is.
Speaker 3: That this is the biggest we've had yet by far. Good God, it's going to turn over the ship. You are somebody wanted to be anonymous a supporter. Ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, thank you very much that came in.
Speaker 3: We are at one forty eight six o nine. We only need fourteen hundred bucks to get to one hundred and fifty, so you.
Speaker 1: Know what to thank you to Thank you, my friend. I want you to come over for dinner tonight intar Jack's house. If I come, I mean go, I was gonna say, and Jack will prepare you a four course medal.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say, and joeill rub your feet, But no, Joe invited them over to my house. But if you're coming to my house, have low expectations for your meal.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you that, Jack Joe.
Speaker 5: They've gotten some fine old thoughts.
Speaker 2: No arm Strong and show. Here's your host for final thoughts, Joe Getty. How about a final thought from everybody on the crew?
Speaker 1: Wouldn't that be exciting? How about Michael Angelow leading the way better yet?
Speaker 2: Michael? Final thought?
Speaker 6: I'm kind of disappointed I didn't put out outdoor Christmas lights this year.
Speaker 2: The first year and several years I haven't done it. I just didn't get around to it. Do I get failed?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Wait to let down jesus Michael Wow, Okay, oh not at all.
Speaker 1: Judge Katie Green are esteemed newswoman as final thought, Katie.
Speaker 4: Well, it is the time of the year. I'm really disappointed. I was just emailed that my renewal for my AARP was declined.
Speaker 2: What am katy am? I correct? You will not be here for the Clips of the Year show tomorrow.
Speaker 4: I will not. I will be in Portland.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, let us just say you're the best. We love you. Have a great vacation and seeing a bit see you next years. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Great final thought, it's always so much fun to say see you next year.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: Our total is one one hundred and forty nine, one sixty nine. As we go off the air today, we're just eight hundred bucks short. I'm sure that will flow in over the next three minutes. So thank you for helping us get to one fifty. But as Joe said, donations can continue to come in if you hear this in the future or whenever. It all adds up to a total total. So thank you very much. Armstronginggetdy dot com.
Speaker 1: My final thoughts thinking of a couple of stories and pieces of audio we brought you today, how about instead of yelling angrily at people, you ask them questions and see if you can understand their point of view.
Speaker 2: Give that a try. You might enjoy it.
Speaker 1: You don't have to agree with it, but you won't come off like an a hole.
Speaker 2: That sounds crazy.
Speaker 3: Armstrong A Getty wrapping up another grueling four hour workday.
Speaker 2: So many people, thanks a little time.
Speaker 1: Go to Armstrong getdy dot com look for the donat now tab drop us Nope, mail bag at armstrong getdy dot com.
Speaker 4: We did it.
Speaker 3: We hit one hundred and fifty by the end of the day on Thursday, I'm very awesome.
Speaker 2: See you tomorrow.
Speaker 3: God bless America.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 5: On our way.
Speaker 2: I'm to throw in the that was very important.
Speaker 1: The baby Jesus have got to throw the first punch of his life.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Geeddy