Speaker 1: Welcome to good game with Sarah Spain, where we wish more people in Aspanya would comment on my name being Spain. Come mon, it's cool right See It's Tuesday, November nineteenth. Today we're talking to Washington Spirit midfielder Croyd Bethune about her incredible debut season, how she stays positive during injury rehab, taking herself on bowling dates and a safe place for her Olympic gold medal, plus travel trinkets and turkey time. It's all coming up next. Welcome back Slices, niche has your need to know today.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Sarah and NWSL Soccer News. The Washington Spirit and the Orlando Pride have punched their tickets to the league final in Kansas City. The Spirit advanced in comeback fashion yet again on their home field Saturday, going down one nil in the fifty six minute when Gotham FC's Estere Gonzalez put a header home off across from yasmine. Ryan Audifield stayed on pins and needles until the third minute of stoppage time, when hal Hirshfelt was the hero. She netted a header of her own to tie the score at one. No goals were scored an extra time and it all came down to penalty kicks. The Spirit converted on their first three, and goalkeeper Aubrey Kingsbury delivered the performance of a lifetime, saving all three of Gotham's attempts to seal the deal for Washington. And on Sunday, the Pride in the Kansas City Current put together an electric match. Debinia struck first for KC in the thirty third minute, but the advantage didn't last long. Orlando's Hayley McCutcheon answered in the forty first to tie things up going into the half. In the fifty third minute, it was Barbara Bandit time.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 1: The forward fired a.
Speaker 2: Laser of a strike into the bottom left corner that probably would have taken Kansas City's goalkeeper's hand off had she been able to make contact with it. The score stayed still at to one Pride until the eighty second minute, when Marta made her mark like only she can.
Speaker 1: The goal she.
Speaker 2: Scored can only be described as the most beautiful piece of soccer I've personally ever seen. She dropped not one, but two defenders plus the Current's goalkeeper, straight up diabolical. We'll link to the highlight in the show notes, MARTA's gold put the Pride up three to one. Kansas City made things interesting with a Vanessa de Bernardo penalty during a lengthy stoppage time, but they just ran out a runway. Orlando took the dub three to two. The NWSL final between the Spirit and the Pride takes place on Saturday at CPKC Stadium in Kansas City at eight pm Eastern. Sarah and I will be there and we hope to see some use license there too.
Speaker 1: DMV stand up. We about to get another one maybe elsewhere.
Speaker 2: In pro soccer news, we want to say a huge congratulations to west Ham FC midfielder Christy Lewis and Chelsea FC forward Sam Kerr, who announced.
Speaker 1: That they're going to be parents.
Speaker 2: The two posted a collajah photos to Instagram in which Kerr holds up an ultrasound scan and Ewis reveals her belly. The caption reads quote mwis her baby coming twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: End quote footy and gay shit. Gotta love it. Congrats y'all.
Speaker 2: In golf news, Nellie Korda is back in her first competition in almost two months due to a minor neck injury. She won the Anica on Sunday. Corda trailed entering the final round and it took five straight birdies on the back nine to get the job done. It was the fourth time this year that she won when trailing entering the final round, and she's had a great twenty twenty four overall. Earlier this year, she tied an LPGA record with five straight victories and became the first American to win seven times in a season since Beth Daniel in nineteen ninety. In tennis News, the second semifinal of the Billy Jean King Cup is today. It'll be Great Britain versus Slovakia. Slovakia has made waves in the tournament, already upsetting the US in its opener. The winner of today's match will play in the BJK Cup Final on Wednesday. In WNBA News, the twenty twenty five draft lottery took place on Sunday and the Dallas Wings won the number one overall pick. The La Sparks will have the number two pick, followed by the Chicago Sky at three in the Washington Mystics at four. Now, this is a big win for a Dallas franchise that's in the midst of a lot of change. They've got a new GM and Kurt Miller and a head coaching vacancy to fill. Wingstar arique A Gumbuwale was pumped about the lottery win, posting on Twitter, quote, I just fell.
Speaker 1: To my knees. Thank you Lord end quote.
Speaker 2: Will the Wings select projected number one overall? Pick Page Becker's out of Yukon. We'll see when the twenty twenty five WNBA Draft goes down.
Speaker 1: On April fourteenth, more WNBA news.
Speaker 2: The Women's Basketball Hall of Fame announced it's twenty twenty five class over the weekend, and it's full of WNBA grades. Sue Bird, Sylvia Fowls, Cappy Pond Dexter, and Elena Beard all made the cut, as they should because these resumes are impeccable. Bird is a five time Olympic gold medalist and four time WNBA champ with the Seattle Storm. Fowls is a four time gold medalist, two time WNBA champ with the Minnesota Lynx and two time Finals MVP. Beard won a championship with the LA Sparks and is a two time Defensive Player of the Year. And Pondexter is an Olympic gold medalist, two time WNBA champion with the Phoenix Mercury, and Finals MVP. Congratulations to these living legends. I am so so grateful I got to grow up watching y'all hoop. In college Hoops News, Yukon head coach Gino Oriama tied Tara Vanderveer's record for total NCAA wins on Friday night. His Number two Huskies sixty nine to fifty eight win over number fifteen ranked North Carolina was the one thousand, two hundred and sixteenth of his career to go with only one hundred and sixty two losses. He's now on the precipice of setting the new record regardless of gender. He'll have his first chance to become the winningest coach in NCAA college basketball history on Wednesday when Yukon plays Fairleigh.
Speaker 1: Dickinson. Thanks me. We gotta take a break when we come back. It's Kroy Bethune. We caught up with her last week before the playoffs got underway. That's coming up next. She's an Olympic gold medalist, an attacking midfielder for the US women's national team, and the Washington Spirit of the NWSL. She played college soccer for the USC Trojans and the Georgia Bulldogs twice was named First team All American. She was selected by the Spirit third overall in the twenty twenty four NWSL draft and tied the single season assist record in this rookie season despite missing more than two months of the season to injury. She loves a fit pick and she'll beat your ass in bowling. It's Kroy Bethune. What's up, KROI?
Speaker 3: Hey, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good? First, congrats on an absolutely incredible rookie season, even despite the time, missed five goals, a league leading tennis sists in just seventeen appearances, four NWSL Rookie of the Month honors every single month in which you played. That's unreal. Did you have specific goals that you wrote down before the season that you look back at now and see how your sort of reality matched her expectations?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Thank you, and yeah I had a lot of goals written down. I'm big on manifestations, so I feel like whatever energy I put down, I can succeed and accomplish those goals.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm a big manifestation person too. I've gotten into all the sciencey side of it, of the neuroplasticity of actually training your brain to like start practicing doing the things you want to you want to do. There's a difference though, between thinking it and doing it. I think sometimes when people have these incredible accomplishments so early on, it feels almost like, what like it's hard, like legally blonde? Are you able to put in perspective? How like what you just I was just listening to Sammy Muis talking about how like I never had ten assists, not once in my career, and you just did that in your rookie season. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean I'm strong and like believing in myself, in the power of the tongue, like whatever you speak into positivity. I feel like I can do it. These are goals that I wanted to accomplish, and within the first half I feel like I did so looking back sometimes it seems a little unreal. But I believe that I can do it, and then actually doing it, it's it's great.
Speaker 1: To whom do you attribute that belief system? Is that someone that comes from family, from coaches, from mentors, Yeah.
Speaker 3: From my parents. My dad actually wrote this out. If you don't mind me reading it. Yeah, it's watch your thoughts they become your words. Watch your words they become actions. Your actions become habits. Habits become character. Character becomes destiny. All is thought, that is all. That's actually my screen saver. Yeah, so I'm like, I believe in that heavily.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's a favorite. That's a really good one. Okay. So you have this incredible rookie nwslc's and you also got your first taste of national team play, little thing called an Olympic gold medal. No big deal. You were elevated to the main roster at the Olympics because of an injury to Jaden Shaw, and you made your Olympic debut in the seventy ninth minute of the third group stage game against Australia. Take us back to that moment. What are the feelings? Nerves, excitement, joy.
Speaker 3: A little bit of nerves. I've been waiting for this moment for so long, so for it to actually be here, it was a little surreal. Going in as an alternate. I didn't really have any expectations of like playing or you know, actually having the chance to get out there. But stay ready so you don't have to get ready so when the opportunity came, I was excited. Before stepping on the field, the nerves kind of just dropped a little bit, and I've more so wanted to focus on performing well and helping the team out as much as I possibly could.
Speaker 1: Is there a US Women's national team player in particular that you went to for advice or maybe was helping and preparing you for this big international tournament experience at the senior level. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Lindsay actually reached out to me before the Olympics and I think my first camp and was just like hey, like it's Lindsay, hope you're doing well. I know you're coming in the camp. Just kind of words of like encouraging words letting me know that I do belong here and if I mean anything, like she's there. That actually meant a lot for me coming from her, especially like she's the captain, she's one of the ogs and then mal at the Olympics, I feel like she kind of took me under her wing as like a big sis in the college days, like we would have a lot of comparisons and within our game, and I feel like her as a player is amazing, but getting to know her as a person like she's very well rounded, so I have a lot of respect for her just looking after me.
Speaker 1: Those are two pretty good people to take advice from, to get leadership from, you know, Lindsay hErenn got a lot of criticism during the Olympics, but when you look at the way her teammates speak about her, the way Emma Hayes spoke about her, her leadership is quite clear. Was that hard for you guys on the team to experience that dissonance between what you feel about her versus what was being said about her by some of the media or fans personally?
Speaker 3: No, I feel like everyone's always going to have something to say, no matter what, whether it's positive or negative. And we're inside the bubble, We're with her every day. We actually know who she is and how she is, so I feel like that's just people outside of the bubble chatting. But her leadership is amazing and I love how serious and focused she is and she wants to win, but she can balance still being lindsay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where's your metal now?
Speaker 3: It's hidden, It's in a safe, it's protected.
Speaker 1: Not a sock drawer, not in the bathroom, no where. No, we're weird. Just somewhere safe. Yeah, yeah, I heard you're really into music, so I need to know if you have a go to song for pregame to get hyped.
Speaker 3: Not a song, more so like genres and artists. I'm big on old school music R and B, so I tend to listen to that on the way there, just to enjoy the vibe, like.
Speaker 1: Don L.
Speaker 3: Jones, Gat Band, Lorn Hill Erica and There's a bunch but those are a couple. Yeah. And then when I get to like the locker room, I turn on some rat some hip hop to really get me like focused and locked in, ready to go.
Speaker 1: Who are some of your fabs?
Speaker 3: Young Thug, Future, maybe young Boy? Those three really get me ants cool.
Speaker 1: I heard you like a Thursday solo date night watching live music, preferably R and B. Why solo?
Speaker 3: I feel like self love is the best love. Sometimes you just need to get away and enjoy your own company. For me, it's very soothing and rejuvenating, and I found that I enjoy being by myself sometimes, so I feel like every once in a while, just spoiling yourself is good for your energy.
Speaker 1: I like that for concerts and music sometimes too, because I hate when people try to talk to me during live music. I'm like, that's not about you. I'm literally here for the music. So the up. Yeah, I heard you also do solo bowling dates, going out to the lanes alone, working on your game. What's your best score?
Speaker 3: I got like almost I think like two hundred ones. Whoa, yeah, I'm getting up there. I'm trying to get a perfect score.
Speaker 1: My bess is one eighty five, which is pretty good, but not not two hundred.
Speaker 3: No, that's still good.
Speaker 1: Do you have your own ball?
Speaker 3: I do. My grandma actually passed away and they were My dad was going through stuff and found the bowling ball. Her and my grandpa they had bowling balls and I actually took her bag in the ball that she uses. Ease.
Speaker 1: I love that. So that's great. Are you Are you right down right down Main Street down the middle or do you.
Speaker 3: Throw a curve herd ball all day?
Speaker 1: I cannot do that? I okay, I'm jealous. I can't extract this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you get there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're a young person to be so comfortable and happy hanging solo. Has that always been the case or do you think some of that is to offset the amount of time you spend in a team situation where you have to be thinking about the needs of everybody else out on the field. That's a good question.
Speaker 3: I feel like as time has gone on and I've matured and gone through certain situations or just life, I've had to learn to enjoy my own company again. Also, just being around a lot of people all day, all the time, every day, sometimes it gets a little overwhelming or too much, so you need an escape. So I feel like it's a little bit of mixture of both.
Speaker 1: It sounds like an introvert talking introvert. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I feel like when I was younger, as an extrovert, I enjoy people. I feel like I'm a people person. But I don't know. I feel like I'm becoming a little bit of both, and I'm enjoying it good.
Speaker 1: I'm what they call an extroverted extrovert. Basically, the more people I'm around, the more energy I have. Every once in a while, I have to recharge. But that's great that you can find a balance in both. You started playing soccer when you were really young, and then your family spent three years in England in your sort of pre teen years. How do you think time in that sort of soccer crazed country impacted your skill set or your interest in the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it grew the love that I have for the game. Soccer is huge in Europe, but it's a different there's a difference between soccer and Europe and overseas. Actually being at some menu games, it showed me how much fans loved soccer. It was dope. I have an older brother, so playing with him and his team made me a lot more competitive. It made me want to win. It made me learn how much soccer is quicker and stronger with boys compared to girls or women.
Speaker 1: Growing up.
Speaker 3: I feel like it helped me a lot pre pro or pre team in college life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in your household, is it soccer or football? Soccer? Soccer? All right? Good?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Back in the States, you had.
Speaker 1: A tremendous amount of success in high school and college despite three ACL tears before you'd even graduated college. What's it like doing three rehabs? And how do you stay positive knowing the second and the third time? Okay, I've already been through this. I know what I'm about to have to do. How did you stay positive during that?
Speaker 3: It sucks for sure, But I mean the support system I had is amazing. My parents, my brother, the coaching staff of Kadani, and the whole medical staff at USC was amazing. The first time, it was scary because I've never ever gotten hurt and for my first injury to be so major was crazy, especially the time that happened. I missed out on the World Cup for you some team so in freshman year. But the first one I got through, and after that the second one, I was kind of like, okay, like I've been here before, I know what's gonna happen. I know how to get through it. But it was just kind of like Dan, like here we go again, you know, But also just being surrounded by amazing people, my teammates. I had a lot of teammates that I grew up with and played with, so it was kind of like I had multiple different families around me at one time. And the third one was really just unfortunate. It also stuck too, But I feel like that one taught me the most about myself, how patient I am, how strong I am, how much I really do love the game and still want to play. A lot of people don't know this, but it also made the decision for me at the time I was deciding whether I wanted to stay another year or go pro, and I feel like that ACL kind of showed me, Okay, stay another year, take more time, and then thrive after.
Speaker 1: It's so hard watching ACL tears across soccer landscape, and I feel like there's a disconnected part between what science and medical experts say about some preventative things, like there's something called the pet method that I've spoken to doctors saying if every team did this for fifteen minutes before every practice, it would help. And then the media, which seems to think that we're sort of stuck in decades old conversation about how we don't understand why there are so many injuries. It just keeps happening on a team level, both in collagen at the pros, Like how much conversation is there amongst you and your teammates about the prevalence of ACL injuries and trying to figure out how to be preventative.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it's thrown in the air sometimes here and there, especially when someone does have the injury, then the conversation is very hot in the moment. But I mean, I agree, I mean there's a lot of confusion as to why it's happening, especially in women, it's so common. I mean, you can tear your aco by doing something so simple or literally being taken out. So we kind of wonder, like, is it the way that our bodies are made genetics, DNA or simply like you're saying, science, do we need to prent more?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 3: I feel like it's up in the air. I mean, at Spirit we have a great medical staff, but we should still kind of figure out what's really going.
Speaker 1: On, keep studying. That's where all the money should be going in the women's studying right now. In terms of sports science, you play such an audacious game. It's really flashy, it's really aggressive, it's really beautiful. Have you ever been advised to tone it down or to play a different style because of those early injuries? Do they ever just say play it straight, Kroy, like you're gonna get it done, just you know, without all the flash.
Speaker 3: Honestly, thankfully, no. I feel like all the coaches I've had in the past have respected who I am and how I play, and that's what makes me me. So they just continue to push me to be me, and I mean it gets the job done. So if it's not broke, don't fix serah, that's right.
Speaker 1: That's right. You tore orr meniscus while throwing out the first pitch at the Nationals game. How's the rehab going? How is the meniscus injury different at all from your previous knee injuries.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the rehab's going great. About ten weeks. A lot of even strength now, which is amazing. Just continue working on strength and mobility. I feel like this one is a lot easier in the sense of time. I feel like I'm doing a lot more way earlier than if I tore my aco ten weeks ago, especially pain and stress wise, So I feel like that's a positive thing with this meniscus.
Speaker 1: Here, tell us about your dog. I imagine he spends a lot of time with you during rehab, the big and the small moments of coming back. What's his name?
Speaker 3: So? I have a dog named Cush. He's an American Staffordshire and an American Terrier. He has a little bit of other things mixed with him. But yeah, he's a nine month paity. He's so cute.
Speaker 1: Nine months Okay, So is this your first, like dog of your own?
Speaker 3: Yes, this is my first dog on my own.
Speaker 1: Are you are you like a protective doggy mama, Are you like the kind? He's dressing him up in Halloween costumes and he has his own Instagram.
Speaker 3: No, h we're working on the Instagram. I'm a very affectionate dog mom. He's like very sweet and loves cuddles. But I also don't like when people like try to tell me how to be a mom. Fair. Yeah, but the injury, he's been great. I feel like when I first came back, he noticed like, oh, something's wrong with mommy, like let me be gentle. But as time's going on, he's just been there, supporting lovey, you know, being a big old baby.
Speaker 1: Pities are the best snugglers. My little Pity Banks is basically a barnacle attached to me at every moment possible. My dogs do have their own Instagram. I feel like if Kush got his own Instagram, there'd be a lot of questions about Push the Pit's name. Can you take us through that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just think I've never met a dog with that name, so I thought it was pretty cool to do. And yeah, he's handsome. I mean, when you see him, it kind of fits him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I saw him before the interview started. That is a handsome pup. That is a handsome pup. Ye, okay, So you've got the pity to support you. You've got a great medical staff. Tell me about some of your teammates. You step onto the scene as this highly tied rookie, this high draft pick, high expectations. You blow all of them out of the water. You're winning Rookie of the month, Rookie of the month, Rookie of the month. How has it been sort of adjusting to being a professional soccer player and to being around other teammates who are both supportive and also you know, trying to get theirs and have their own success.
Speaker 3: I feel like adjusting has been great. I feel like I've been prepared for this moment for a couple of years now, Like I mentioned, staying another year. Also the coaches and staff. I've been surrounded with college, but a lot of the rookies are already knew, whether that's national team camps or how I used to play at Concord with or playing against teammates like Heather and Courtney at Utah. So we're not new to each other, which is great. And also since there's a lot of us, it's kind of like we have our own little rookie families. So we've been getting through the rookie year with each other, which has been amazing. I just like how welcoming everyone is. It just feels really comfortable and no one being judgy or jealous or any of that. So I feel like this class has honestly been amazing and always.
Speaker 1: This is going to be a tough season to top, even with the jury, Like, other than staying healthy, of course, we're going to want that, but I trust you also have some other big plans for next year. Do you have any goals you want to share?
Speaker 3: Of course, health of course, And then I'll just say, topping what I did this year, I just want to continue to build off of each layer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's your status for when you actually can hopefully start just getting back to full speed practices and everything else, hopefully before preseason.
Speaker 3: I mean, I feel like God had another injury in my plan in my journey, and since he did, I feel like the timing was kind of perfect. I have preseason, which gives me a little bit of extra time to get ready for season, so I feel like I'll be ready.
Speaker 1: Before Okay, before I let you go, we need to do a speed round the all time soccer player men's or women's that you most admire.
Speaker 3: Women's we have Marta Tobin of course, and I'll say Megan in there as well.
Speaker 1: Nice top three nice.
Speaker 3: And then men's messy Ronaldinho honestly, all the Brazilian and Ronaldo Valdo.
Speaker 1: All those yep, current player in the NWSL that you look to you and you aspire to be.
Speaker 3: Like a great question. Honestly, I'd have to go back to now. I just have so much respect for her and just thinking about like back in the day there was a lot of comparison to us, and I definitely see it. So I have a lot of respect for as a person and a player.
Speaker 1: NWSL player from another team you'd most want to play with.
Speaker 3: I wanted to play with Ashley Sanchez such to say, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, NWSL player from another team you hate to play.
Speaker 3: Against either, so Smith or Nay.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, Naomy Germa is a good answer for anyone who just is like she makes it so tough back there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Nay and I have gone to a bunch of camps together. But also just playing against her at Stanford each year, it was like she's like that is really good.
Speaker 1: Okay. Owner of the Spirit, Michelle Kang is known for her over the top fits. Do you have a favorite Michelle Kang fit?
Speaker 3: I do. I can't remember exactly what, but I know she had on this like either white or cream dress and some like really high heels and I was like, Michelle, you look great.
Speaker 1: Probably had a cape too. She's got a lot of kiss.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she does. For her to like walk on the field with the grass and just look unfazed. It's really, it's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: She really, yes, how do you do it? She has a very intimidating energy. It's like a little bit of like Big Dick energy times like Devil Wears Prada and a wind Tour energy.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, it's kind of.
Speaker 1: Terrifying to be honest, at least for me. Croy. We've had so much fun talking to you. You are such a professional already at just twenty three years old, both in the way you carry yourself and in your game, and we are dying to see how high that ceiling is for you. Because this season was so much fun, We're thinking about your health and we're so excited for when you're back. Thanks so much for giving us some time.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you for having me. You're amazing a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Thanks again De Croix for the time, and congrats on all the success. Can't wait to see you back out on the pitch. We gotta pay the bills. BRB, You're back, so are we, So slices. I booked a few days of VAK with the hubby in Spain over the weekend before work started. And whenever we travel to a new country together, we buy a Christmas ornament to add to our tree. So every year when we decorate, we get to remember all the places that we've been together. It's my favorite tradition. So I'm wondering for our good gameplay of the day. Do you collect anything when you travel? Magnets, keychains, bowls. We would love to see the fruits of your travels, so send us a pick, tell us about it. Our email is good game at wondermedianetwork dot com or leave us a voicemail eight seven two two four fifty seventy and you know it's coming. Don't forget to subscribe, rate and review. It's easy. Watch when you're the perfect amount of tipsy to crush at the bowling lanes. Rating ten out of ten strikes review. You're not sobern off to stress about it, but you're not so drunk that your aim is off. You're right in the middle, just like the balls you're tossing right down Main Street, hitting the pocket between the one and the three pins. Turkey time, baby, Now it's your turn. Rate and review. Thanks for listening, See you tomorrow. Good game, Croy, Good Game, Cush Few pitching mounds. Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are Alex Azzie and Misha Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan, and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rudder, Britney Martinez, Grace Lynch, and Lindsay Cradowell. Production assistant from lie See Jones and I'm your host Sarah Spain