Speaker 1: What's up, people, it's your boy, Cam Jay back with another episode of Off the Edge with Cam Jordan. Now as we gear it for another exciting season, I wanted to reflect on some of the incredible guests I had the pleasure of sitting down with last season. But hey, don't worry, though, I got you new episodes coming your way real soon. Relax, I got you. But in the meantime, in between time, let's rewind and play back some of my favorite interviews from season one. This week, I'm bringing you the heart and soul of the Saints defense linebacker extraordinaire, the man on a mission, none other than my guy, linebacker d Mario Davis.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you tapping in this Off the Edge with Cam Jordan.
Speaker 1: I get to bring to you my guy, my dog, probably probably my ace on the team this year. Like, if I'm gonna talk to somebody, it's gonna be this dude. If I'm gonna need you know, if I need help, it's gonna be this guy. And if he needs to come talk to my d line.
Speaker 2: He can't talk to me.
Speaker 1: There's an open line of communication with my guy Tomorrow Davis All Pro, five time All Pro tomorrow. Like, let's not be light on that five time All pro only got one pro bo, which is not adding up like the talent in the way that Tomorrow Davis's name holds.
Speaker 2: In the NFL. Is still only one pro bo so far, maybe two this maybe two this year. But like, for sure he should be.
Speaker 1: A multiple, multiple time pro bowler. He's a multiple multiple All Pro. Double D appreciates you for tapping in my God, my.
Speaker 3: God, actually having me all man then is all mine? Man.
Speaker 2: Let's let's just let's talk about this.
Speaker 1: You and you keep up to date, like if anybody keeps up to date with the Saints and what's going on in the NFL, it's you like a student of the game, a master of a lot.
Speaker 2: You know, when we talk about current Evince, you're usually up to par. Since you've heard you've heard the news.
Speaker 1: We've had some we've had some coaches go, how you feeling like it's all off of the side, But a couple of them go, I mean.
Speaker 4: It's it's it's it's the business. It's the business of the game. You know, it's tough because it's a reminder that we dropped the ball as a whole, Like what you want to happen is to have success, and everybody's getting promoted, which we've seen have success. Other guys go get big time jobs and now they win and playoff games.
Speaker 3: That's what you want to be. You want to be in a sweet spot.
Speaker 4: Guys getting contracts, guys uh, you know, going getting resigned, Guys going to other teams getting getting paid, which has been our experience in the past. But when you have an off season like this because of multiple years not getting it done, and now there's man, it's mandatory that something has to change, and who.
Speaker 3: Is that going to be.
Speaker 4: Man, it's gonna look different on the roster, from the player's side, it's gonna look different from the coaching side. And it's just a reminder that we dropped the ball as a whole. I mean, at any point when you don't get it done, somebody's gonna be the one that has to follow on the sword to beat the scapegoat. And and and we're seeing that it's happening. Uh. I think this is the beginning of that attempt to make a change, or that attempt to something has to be done. And it's unfortunate, you know, like uh, you know, Pete Bob Cody, my guy.
Speaker 2: Joel Thomas went to the Giants John Fire, but just like just like lateral movement and I'm not even thinking it was like.
Speaker 1: Going to like let's let's keep that a b you know, like when when the officer guys go, I mean I had I was like.
Speaker 2: What I said, what did Bob do? What Bobs?
Speaker 3: And I think it best friend the peak. It's like, I guess they felt like he was gonna be a mold or something.
Speaker 1: Man if I got to get rid of Pa, gotta get rid of his man's Okay, Okay, that makes sense, all right, man, I'm sorry I had like that was just off my mind. First question I asked, but this week off, how are you living?
Speaker 2: Man? Like? What's your first week of off season? Off? Is it off season?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Is it the same every year? How do you process the end of a season in two off season? Because that dynamic changes for you tremendously. For me, I just go back to the crib. You you're back in Nashville.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the crib for me. Now, I think every year is different.
Speaker 4: I traditionally keep the same framework, but it's a season by season thing just because of the emotional part.
Speaker 3: So as for me, like I'll keep training.
Speaker 4: I'll stay doing my recovery regiment all the way through the Super Bowl, like I trained specifically so my body is ready for this time of year. And so it's like I'm like a I'm like a Ferrari just sitting in the garage right now, Like I'm meant to be on the road going fast right now, Like That's what I'm trained for. And so it's disappointing when we're not doing it because my body feels fresh. It feels like like I can go and I'm throwing my kids up.
Speaker 3: It ain't like I'm in shutdown mode or tired mode.
Speaker 4: Like I'm out playing in the snow with my kids earlier in the day, like running around.
Speaker 3: My legs feel fresh, and.
Speaker 2: I'm like a snow outside.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it got like seven eight inches. I heard That's why I'm hot.
Speaker 2: Hot seven eight bro. That's disgusting. I do not like that.
Speaker 4: And the horrible part is just the dry snow, so like you can't even make a snowball or a snowman, like you just pick it up and it just crumbles in your hands.
Speaker 3: Hold. So I keep training all the way through, but I process different.
Speaker 4: So it just depends on like where I'm emotional and I think, you know, this just finished my twelfth season, thirty just turned thirty five years old, have a comp a lot in the game, and now it's where where do I want to go? And so now it's man, I want to process. My goal is to do forty five more.
Speaker 3: Like that's a goal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you said you And you said that earlier this year for the first time, and I looked at you because we've talked about over the years.
Speaker 2: You're like, I don't know how many more left? And I was like, bro, what you mean you're not playing at such a high level. What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: No, Man, the tolld And I was like, oh, all right, and this year you hit me with the forty five more.
Speaker 2: I said, oh, I love to hear You're like, what brought you to that?
Speaker 3: There was a revelation, man, it was a revelation.
Speaker 4: Man. I've my favorite player in the NBA is Lebron of course, and I've tracked my whole life, I mean his whole career. I've tracked him. I can give you almost every statistic, every playoff game, Like, uh, but now I have a reason to track him. Like it was like, I want to play two years after Lebron finished, and I'm just so mesmerized by his.
Speaker 3: Longevity, his durability.
Speaker 4: He's still playing at a high level, though they team not doing as good as good as my team. Okay, see, let's make sure we have clarity there. The Lakers beat us the other night. But I admire his longevity. His durability is his constant being at the top of his game. But last year he led the league in past break points. Who does that at thirty seven thirty eight years old? And I'm like, man, if he running and jumping with these young boys is coming in the league, I don't have no excuse being I'm four years younger than him. And so I'm like, well, bron probably gonna play two more years. We know he want to play with Bronnie, And so if I say I want to be in a game two years after he's done, they give me four to five more years. And so I just just give me a rapid the chase. When I have a rabbit, it makes me, it makes me go. And so I got a goal in mind, and it's just rejuvenated.
Speaker 2: I was like I'm not gonna lie to you.
Speaker 1: I was been wondering because I said, what so you not even changed somebody like like lateral in your position? You like, Nah, I see the greatest of all time Lebron So I'm gonna outplay. I'm gonna out play his longevity. That's crazy to think about. Forty five years gonna put you in like year sixteen, seventeen.
Speaker 2: I love that for you. I'm gonna watch you. I'm gonna watch you know year fifteen.
Speaker 3: Come on, bro, come on out.
Speaker 1: W I told you this revelation of mine I had two years ago over here to push you. Hey, I love you, my boy, God knows, God know you, my man's It's gonna take. It's gonna take Wifey to say a lot for me to come back after year fifteen. Because I love I love football. I'm willing to give it my all. Fifteen is gonna be the mental the mental hurdle that we'll talk about later. Let's just talk about, you know, not even just the long jezy playing, but at the high level, you've been playing like you didn't even hit your first All Pro till you turn third. You was at the New Orleans Saints, you you know, you were from the Jets, where you know you would says a heavy market, you know, one of those those marketing places that all you have to do is be semi quasi, you know, explosive, stand out on the field, and you're going to get your accolade immediately, you know, to be I don't know, I still don't know how you went, why or how you went to the Browns back to the Jets, but then you came to New Orleans and you've played your best football. It just is what it is. Five All pros gives you direct access and it's hard to make All pro, especially in the Saints, Like it's a hard market to excel it in terms of the eyes, in terms of the accolades, whatever comes, you have to earn it.
Speaker 2: And you've you've done all of that. Like I said, so five pro but like five all pros, how did you like, how did you reflect on reaching this milestone? Because there's I think there's only like four or five Saints players that ever reached five All pros. In general.
Speaker 4: I think it goes back to twenty sixteen me and a conversation, a conversation that I had with God. I was ready to retire in twenty sixteen, one year with the Browns. I feel like, you know, playing with the Browns when they was the Browns that I was on and to make anybody want to retire. But man, I was ready to throw it in. I didn't have I didn't have the mindset to change greatness no more. My body was hurting and I went into my PreK clause. Man I just said, God, I'm done, I'm finished. But I knew he wasn't done with me yet. So it was like I was throwing in the tower. It's just like, if you don't want me to do more, you gonna have to do it. I was like, God, you got to rejuven in my mind, you gotta rejuven in my body.
Speaker 3: And I literally prayed that.
Speaker 4: It was like I heard an audible voice of God just say like, thank you for throwing in the towel. I got it from here, and don't forget that you threw in the town. That's why I tell that story so often, because I can't. I have to give credit to what it's due. And slowly, but surely, man, I just started training different and I found a way to be more efficient in my game. Now I've been always been doing the numbers, go back to my second year, my early years with the Jet, I was always doing one hundred tackles. I was always doing three to four sacks. I was doing the numbers, but my game was just sloppy. Plus I was with the Jets twenty seventeen. After that moment, I come back, and not only do I got the production, I got the efficiency the match. So I'm not missing as many tackles, I'm not getting beat and coverage. You know, I'm making my plays in the backfield versus you know, three or four yards down the line, down the field. Just cleaning my game up a lot, And that was probably statistically one of my best seasons. But the same time, I was with the Jets and nobody saw it. Fast forward twenty eighteen. I come to the Saints and we go to the conference championship game. I'm doing the same thing, but everybody sees it, and now I was welcome to is welcome to the NFL. Per se I kind of to me.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the NFL. Welcome to the NFL. Twenty seventeen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because twenty seventeen was really like my rookie season because after that humbling moment there was a new.
Speaker 3: That was a new beast that was away and that was produce. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so twenty seventeen twenty eighteen was kind of that, you know, putting it on display. They might have thought twenty seventeen was a fluke, and I did it again in twenty eighteen, and then it happened in twenty nineteen. We didn't go as far as the team, but the production was still there, and I think that's when the notarioty came.
Speaker 3: And since then it just hasn't been no drop off.
Speaker 4: I think they thought because it was thirty that there was going to be drop off, but there wasn't.
Speaker 3: But I think it's because I'm running on something different and it's the Holy Spirit.
Speaker 1: We're not going to just run through like that was a time where you know, Man of God, I come to the house and now he got the Man of God headband on there.
Speaker 2: I said, that's how you know it's official when everybody in the house. Body. When did high Breed come come about? Man?
Speaker 4: High Breed probably came in my training in twenty nineteen, I believe. So twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen, my goal was just to be the best linebackers in the league. But twenty nineteen, I believe it was just a lot of linebackers that was in that conversation.
Speaker 3: And so it was.
Speaker 4: Bobby Wagner, I think Fred was on the scene. Then between twenty you had guys like Shaq Leonard in that conversation of David Dead or White started jumping into conversation. So it was a lot of people. And if you see, it's always this best linebacker conversation, who's the best linebacker? And so for me, it became about differentiation and what is What was differentiation for me was it's a lot of hybrid players in the league. And a hybrid is someone who can kind of be a tweiner. Right, you have a guy who can be a D lineman, but he can be also outside linebacker.
Speaker 3: You have a safety slash nickel or nickel slash corner. You know.
Speaker 4: That Simmons guy that got drafted, Uh that was playing a Z I think he's a different team now, he.
Speaker 2: Was, Ah, yeah, he's he's never at the Giants now.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, And Uh with the high breed was like, I feel like I can go into a game and play one position and dominate on all three levels, Like I feel like they can put me in the game and safety and I'd be a great box safety. Like I know all the coverages. I know how to come up and fit. I can cover one on one on tight ends or running back that get put out at number two every now and then, if it's a slide, I can I can handle that.
Speaker 3: At the same time, I can go and play the defensive line.
Speaker 4: I feel like I can be on the edge all game, which they did for us one time we played the Rams.
Speaker 3: I just had to sit out there on the edge and ain't gonna talk about that game.
Speaker 2: But I can hold it. It's just cut on the edge. Now we gotta hold that hold the edge.
Speaker 3: I got respect for all positions.
Speaker 4: I'm not trying to say that, but that's what I feel like when I'm saying Highbrey is like I can truly I'm not like a twer. I can play a line back. I can play defensive line, and I can play.
Speaker 2: Not a high bred high breed like going.
Speaker 4: Built different, yes, sir, different, and like a transformer. I'm transformed. Whatever you need.
Speaker 1: But is there any game that this year that you you saw as like the changing moving for our season? Like I'm clearly going i'mna say, you know, the Week three matchup versus the Packers, right, because at that time we talked about it. I was like, we could take advantage of Jordan Love like this is he's really a rookie and you know that to me, we were up seventeen oh and Lambeau was silent. Could hear me snap fingers, you know, in the middle of the field to the sidelines, quiet as and then we end up losing eighteen to seventeen. Is there a game that you look back like, how do we lose?
Speaker 2: Like? How did we do this?
Speaker 4: That was a tough game because we were looking to put it all together, and you just think about like momentum. I'm a big basketball fan. I feel like this is one of the best sports where you can see momentum change. And man, the momentum in that game and the way it suck the air out of our season early on. It was like it took us a minute to grapple after that because we had just kind of been being played our best football yet. And then it looked like we had put it together for a half and we were ready to come out the second half, and then DC go down on the first drive. We started reeling as a defense, and they come back and they put some drives together. I mean, we had them shut down in the first half, and then all of a sudden they just get life. And man, you just you weren't expecting a game like that to realize that you gave this game up when when you had it in the back, and you kind of not want to let one game turn into two games, you know. But like when I think about the momentum of that, I think about that, that kind of reminds me of like Colorado.
Speaker 3: Everybody followed Colorado football, but they had.
Speaker 4: Kind of had like an up and down season and then they played I think was Stanford. Was this Stanford that they blew out the first half and then they came all the way back and lock and gave that game up.
Speaker 3: Might have been I think with Stafford.
Speaker 2: But they started off like four to roh and then all of a sudden.
Speaker 3: They started hot. But then you know, they played.
Speaker 2: Uh usc before, but then they played.
Speaker 4: Like come back and I think that was the Stanford game. So they won one more than they played Stanford. After that game, they never recovered. It didn't seem like they recovered after that, and so I feel like that was kind of us in Green Bay. We got it in parts, but we never really got back to that stride until late in the season. I did like the way that we finished. If we could have found that earlier in the year.
Speaker 1: I could have swore we found that when we when we trounced the Patriots. Now we beat him thirty five. I said, ah, I said, this is a Bill Belichick led team like this, It don't matter, like you don't do this to Bill Belichick minus the players, because you know, they got Matt juwide on over there, they got the other air rusher.
Speaker 2: Then you know, running back was running. When the game was alright, I was like, we thirty five zero the Patriots. That doesn't happen.
Speaker 1: And then but it was like, like we said, bro, like you know, the inconsistencies of it all, We really didn't catch that consistent. All right, this is what we're gonna do on offense, is going to do on defense.
Speaker 2: Until the end. And I was like, well, that's where you want to peak anyways, so all we need is a ticket. And then that didn't happen our way.
Speaker 1: But what you're you're a lot more even killed than I am, like, you know me, Bro, I'm amped up on on ten for.
Speaker 2: Everything, and he was like, yeah, so this is what we got to do during the week.
Speaker 1: And then on then on game day you on you were on like twelve because you become highbrid you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You go in that thing and I'm like, you wasn't acting like this Monday through Saturday.
Speaker 3: Now I did.
Speaker 4: On the work man, I think we just the word was just inconsistent and we were just too inconsistent this year, and it was it was very disappointing because we didn't achieve our goals and we're living in the results of that because of inconsistency. And for me, my process is I want to be consistent during the week so that I can get the same results on Sunday. And individually I felt like I was able to do that, but it's in vain because collectively we didn't achieve that. And like, when i'm that's what my reflective time looks like, it's could I have done more on that collective piece? And that's how I'm approaching the off season to figure out if I can if I can achieve consistency for myself. How do I how do I spread that? And I don't think I did a good enough job and and uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you come to that revelation, it did it start when you were like how did you?
Speaker 2: How did you become so even killed?
Speaker 1: Like you've been able to step back and look at the game as as a whole. That started off from your jet days, like the younger days when you had I'm just thinking about it in your locker room. You had what Darrell Reewis back in the gap. You had like original Antonio Commarty, like stone cold Antonio COMMARTI like Crow Reevers Island.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, I had great I had great vets Man. It was Reeves was Crow. I had Dave Harris who did ten years, Bart Scott who you see o TV now, Calvin Pace, the Brickershaw Ferguson on the offensive side, So I wasn't just dealing with defensive guys. The Brickershaw Ferguson on the offense, Nick Mango, Nick Folk, who's still kicking now. Man, I just had a team full of veterans that you can just go and pull information from. I played with DeMont and Laron Landry, uh Man. I had some guys man that he was just learned so much from guys who had had a ton of success. Antonio Holmes was on that team. Mhm uh that you could just pull information from. You can learn a lot of things of what to do. You learn a lot of things and what not to do. But everybody was on my team was at seven eight years and I'm like, dang, they the ain't doing it like they passed the threshold.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: It was that fear of man, I just trying to make it three three and three games. Let me just get my my pension, you know. But I was able to pull from them guys, just from recovery, from approach, you know, just how to how to stay in the game. And I still rely on a lot of those baseline principles. But I put my own in. I put my own work in, you know, I found my own lane. I found what works for me, and I do a lot of mental training and I think that's what allows me to be more reflect them. So all throughout the season, I'm meeting with our team with our team site, which I just called my mental performance coach, and we were just talking about the game. We would talk about week to weeks how to find that consistency. And I was finding that consistency was in practice. And I just felt like if I if my routine was working, don't change it. If it was something that wasn't working, changing and uh, that's kind of molde. I stayed in and that's why you seen me even kill. And then when it's game time, you know, it's all about bringing the warrior out like, ain't no flinch, ain't no fear. Let's go, and uh, now it's time to bring everything that you to meditate it on out for the public.
Speaker 3: Ain't no time to think about it. It's time to go. And that's what you saw game day.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I come to bring hands every day. That's practice, that's breakfast, that's lunch, that's better. I lived my life.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it's a walkthrough.
Speaker 1: And so I'm looking for smoke, looking for smoke. Already I go home, look for smoke. I come back, look for smoke.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna learn. I'm gonna learn how to be even killed. Won't be like you when I grow up. I'm gonna learn how to I'm gonna learn how to chill out.
Speaker 4: I tell you all the time, bro, I asked you that all the time, Like, how does it feel to wake up and be camp Jordan?
Speaker 2: Well, I know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Now that I got a son who's just like me, I can see how can be taxing. See take wake up and wake up earlier than I do. Just okay, your sir got your swag all over here?
Speaker 2: Bro, did you think about our locker room this year? Just safe defense? Alone?
Speaker 1: We had what three or four veterans over thirty you know, our team had what five or six? Was with me you Tyron, Derek Carr, what thirty two, Jimmy Graham thirty five, thirty six that I feel like.
Speaker 2: They had to help.
Speaker 1: But just mixing in the season vets with just that that young talent like that had to have helped the team for sure. Let's just talk about our defensive side, like you talk about it. On every level, there's there's again you go to the safeties, there's Tyrant Marsham probably just what seven eight, he's still young. But there's you on linebackers, me at D line. So that open line of communication, Bro, it was has always been there, especially during the games or practice whatever it was. I feel like that's what I'm I'm looking harping on them like we have open line of communication, how like, how do we take that next step?
Speaker 2: But in terms of just talking to younger guys.
Speaker 1: Do you find that it's hard to relate to them? Do you like when you talk about year one, year two type players?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I think, man, it is. The great piece is like when you have but at all levels. You got pro bowl at all levels. So when I when I look at you on the defensive line, like I know, I don't have to go talk to all the guys on D line. I can take a mission to you and it's gonna go to all the guys. The same thing with Tyron, I don't have to talk.
Speaker 3: To the dbs.
Speaker 4: I'll just go to him and he will pass it on whether it's mess for right, ite missed for the game, and.
Speaker 3: So having that is great.
Speaker 4: I do think that there's a communication gap that just exists in society because of the way that we learned how to communicate. I'm a iguesst me and you kind of the same boat. We're kind of like a middle generation, and so we got pieces of the old school and we're dealing with people who are all the way digitals like dog one of the guys in the locker room. Wasn't boring when nine eleven happened, like.
Speaker 2: Some of the guys, one of the guys, some of the guys.
Speaker 4: Some of the guys, but we having a conversation about it. Like he didn't even know what date it was. No, like it's called not eleven. He was like, no, y, yeah, I haven't put nobody on the spot. But he was like, I said, do you know when not eleven happened? He's like, yeah, it was like November right, No, no, no, no, no, no, you're trying to fix it.
Speaker 3: But it was a real conversation and everybody was like yo.
Speaker 4: Wow, And it was one of those moments like man, we are we're kind of like in a in a time war.
Speaker 3: And but I think.
Speaker 4: It's still the onus of the responsibility of figuring out that that communication.
Speaker 3: One of the things that one of my mentors was helping me learn.
Speaker 4: He said, what language was God talking to Adam and even in the garden. And I was like, yo, and that everybody has a language because they're human.
Speaker 3: And though it may be a digital.
Speaker 4: Language, though it may be h you know, more choppy, more emojis, you know what means that you communicate through it's still communication, and to figure out that language is the responsibility of a leader to figure out and you just learn how to reach guys. And that's what I was in my reflective time. I'm looking and I'm like, I don't think I did a good enough job, you know.
Speaker 3: And I think it's.
Speaker 4: Easier to be dismissive and just be like, oh, they're a young generation. They'll figure it out or they've.
Speaker 2: Got to figure it out now, you know.
Speaker 4: But I think it's it's this game has always been the older guys teach the.
Speaker 3: Younger guys what is supposed to look like, right, And I think it.
Speaker 1: Was so much easier to do that when we were younger because you had to be in the meeting rooms. And now it's a digital age where everybody has iPads, you know, Microsoft tablets and can watch film, do everything else isolated. And I think that isolation is also causing a divide as well.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 4: That's that's one of the things is socially we communicate different, right, Like how we grew up. You go to the playground, you go to the park, you compete, you go outside. It's a it's a it's a it's an unnecessary reference. Football game going on, throw it up and running. You don't get it how you live, Like when you see the kids, our kids attempting to do when they play football after the game, right, but they don't do that just other than that event, they're not just outside other after that, they're going to organize sports. Like it was so much play that was unorganized.
Speaker 2: There ain't no neighborhood football no more like I know, ain't know.
Speaker 4: Just pick up basketball game going on them down on the corner at the park. You know, like everything is organized right like you go to you go to a lifetime gym. Now they got they don't move to basketball course, they got pickleball games going on.
Speaker 3: And pick aball has a system. It's a system to get in the game. Have you ever been to a pickball game? No, a pick up pick a ball game. You don't just go and be like I got next.
Speaker 2: You gotta go.
Speaker 4: You gotta put your racket in a certain spot. That's how they know. And then they have like pro courts and then they have like the amateur courts, and it's like it's a system, bro, Like you can't just show up at pickleball and just be like I got nixt like basketball courts, it's all. They've moved the basketball courts out pickaball is what's heeing and so like. But this is this is our society now, right, It's it's much more digital, organized structure versus just random and so like, what that does is I don't even know how to communicate with you unless it's under a certain format, right, I only know how to meet you on this app.
Speaker 3: I only know how to meet you in a space that's organized, like a team meeting is where I'm gonna see you. And but then no team meeting going on while we're still at the building.
Speaker 4: That's that's a that's a mentality, that's a mindset, right, Whereas what four years ago, five years ago, meetings and meet has been over for four hours, everybody still in the locker room, some people watching, some people Nintendo, some people shooting basketball, but we all just building that chemistry.
Speaker 3: So it's just different.
Speaker 4: And so it's like, Okay, well, how do you reach this generation that's under kind of a different mindset When it comes to camaraderie, You still have to find a way to meet him.
Speaker 3: And I think that's that is a struggle.
Speaker 4: I haven't haven't found that yet, but it gotta be sound absolutely bro.
Speaker 1: Like you know, I had two rookie d linemen uh this year and one you know, one loves the FaceTime. You know my lother Ze, Hey, hey bro. I told him when he first got team. I said, hey, if you need me FaceTime, if you need like, don't do dumb stuff. If you need me in the middle of night, you.
Speaker 2: Can call me.
Speaker 1: I'll come get you. I'll figure it out whatever needs to happen. He's just hey, Bro, I just want to say, man, I appreciate you, bro, And like, I have never had a rookie to call me in the middle night just to just to want to talk ball.
Speaker 2: He's the first one. I love. Brian.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, I got you know, I got Isaiah Foski and Foscar is you know he's a cerebral notre dame guy stuck in his head. You know, I gotta I gotta, like it's like pulling blood. But like you have to figure out who, like you have to figure out their communication, Like Breeze super easy. You know, like he wants to be he wants to be a great football player. You know, he's absorbing anything. Fosk not saying that he doesn't. He's just like you have to go to him, you know, like, hey man, come on, this is what we're doing. And he'll hop in the car immediately for the But them first, like four weeks, I was trying to figure him out. I said, hey man, like I got it, Like I don't. I'm not getting nothing from him, like, hey man, what you see on this film?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But if I text him about something, I get a paragraph.
Speaker 1: I'm like, this don't make okay, Okay, I'll see what I gotta do here, Like you just got It's weird, bro to to think that I get digital age, bro like this, you know, watch film, see things differently, talk to players like.
Speaker 2: It's just trying to figure it out. I'm like, oh man, it's such a huge gap.
Speaker 1: But at the end of the day, at least in terms of defensive line, there's always been different cats on the D line. You know, you have one that's outgoing, one that's not one this so this is just a different way to look at it. And how do I reach my guy? Well, if he likes to eat, then I guess we're eating. And if he likes you know, if he likes if he likes to watch film, then that's how we watch film. Like it's it's time consuming, it's an effort.
Speaker 3: It's a lot more attactical.
Speaker 4: And I think you just helped me with something that communication now is a lot more individualized because society is much more custom Whereas everybody had before had to conform to society, now society conforms to the consumer.
Speaker 3: Right, think about all the algorithms that present themselves.
Speaker 4: It knows how to present itself to you, the shopper, versus the customer having to go to the store like Black Friday, you got it, you got it if you could get there early enough and.
Speaker 3: Get it in.
Speaker 2: Everybody there at five.
Speaker 4: Everybody had to conform to the marketplace, not a marketplace. Marketplace conforms to the consumer. And so I think that's the same way when you think about like being a being a teammate, Right, the teammates used to all the teammates conformed to whatever.
Speaker 3: The team was on.
Speaker 4: Whatever you have a team, you gotta be able to conform to all the individuals, right, So you have to make sure you still hold onto your principles and stuff that you're not gonna sway on the course.
Speaker 3: So it's not just saying like you you just.
Speaker 4: Kind of rolling yeah, but I think you have to be willing to go and meet individuals where they're at, and you gotta that's just what society is, right if you just think about like, you know, look at all the guys who come in. They played in college, and the college didn't conform to them what they do. Hey, transporport them.
Speaker 2: I'm going transport them.
Speaker 3: And they talented enough, they're gonna they're gonna make it in.
Speaker 2: It ain't got or yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: And that's not the case for everybody, but for a lot of them. And so that everybody's just used to everything being catered to them, and so like I can see how you dealing.
Speaker 3: With different lanes of communication and something that's gonna benefit some is not.
Speaker 4: And I think just being able to communicate a message to them that this is what the league is about, this is what it stands on. H I'm conforming to you because I want to give you the principals that's gonna get help me be successful. I'm not conforming to you to think that it's your way because it's game.
Speaker 2: It's not. I'm not acquiescing. I'm not saying, hey, I'm doing your way.
Speaker 1: No, I'm coming to you so you could take this information better, this how, this is how we're moving on.
Speaker 2: You might just help me a little bit. I feel like I'm acquiescing at times.
Speaker 1: I'm like, bro, Like when I was a rookie old event would be like, hey, this is how it's getting done. You'd be like all right now, like you know, we're talking to them like, hey man, this was, this was, what is the tradition, this is.
Speaker 2: Why we're doing it.
Speaker 1: And I'm having to explain myself more, you know, like you know, get home, be trying to tell wife you talk. I'm talking out baby, like I'm tied that lead that leadership role like it takes it takes something about you. But no, you knows as much as you just helped me there. You know whatever it was, or you've been, You've been an outstanding teammate yourself, you know, uh, a great leader for the linebacker corps. You you talk about the pregame speeches even in locker room when it's time.
Speaker 2: You know, uh, you were born.
Speaker 1: You were born for this role as as a man of God, and that goes probably hand in hand with being a leader of faith as well, just in terms of you know, uh p ao as well as you're not not even your ministry work, but your devoted dream dreamers and the you know, the I almost called a flag, the seven h seventeen that you got, or the way you stacked everything up, but just balancing the demands of football and your faith.
Speaker 2: How does the how do you ultimately want to be remembered?
Speaker 4: And I want to be I want to be remembered as a man who tried to as best he could live for something that was greater than himself. Like my legacy has little to do with me than me trying to be a representation of God. It's about how my wife remembers me and is able to tell my story. And if you haven't seen Hamilton, bro Hamilton is the greatest play ever, Like I used to be online king I graduated. Hamilton is the best. But it's a little it's a little playing there, a little play on words in there that I'm saying, you know, how my wife is able to remember me, how she's able to tell my story, How my kids the lessons that they get from me, and everything after that is a secondary really you know if I can be a good enough representation of God.
Speaker 2: Uh that my.
Speaker 3: Kids get it and they want to reflect God in their own lives. Man, it's worth it. It's worth it all. It's life well lived.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, you used to talk to you talked about Hamilton a few times. This year. You went to go see the person.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, we went with New York.
Speaker 4: My daughter, actually, my my ten year old daughter, oldest, she was on it, and she she's musically inclined and musically gifted. She memorized the whole I mean, if you listen to these songs, they like little rap songs and.
Speaker 3: They got so many words.
Speaker 4: But she memorized the soundtrack front to back, Like you start playing out any part, pick any song, she gonna start singing it.
Speaker 2: That's her jam.
Speaker 4: And so we had to go see it. So we went to New York. Not to mention my kids. Was like, we're back at home and that's where we were born. My oldest too, and uh, we took them to see the play. Win saw Hamilton, Win saw Lion King, and I was just blown away. I had always heard about Hamilton, but I never went and saw it. But definitely something that it's as many people talking about Hamilton. It's still under it, that's how good it is.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like I've seen that on one of the apps, so it was like a Hamilton Live music whatever, and I was like, nah.
Speaker 2: Do you see I feel like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I said, one of the maps had it, and I was just like, I just feel like it's one of the things you have to see in person.
Speaker 2: Like if I watch you know.
Speaker 3: Don't don't somebody your statue.
Speaker 2: Definitely, man, you know my sisters spayd only last five to ten.
Speaker 3: Yourself watching on the app and then try to go see the person. Yeah, definitely, man, definitely say you get a chance to go see the person.
Speaker 2: They just do it a full disservice. I moved so fast being in.
Speaker 3: America and not having a chieved Burder not seeing.
Speaker 1: Him, Okay, big, big standard.
Speaker 2: Okay. I'm like I said, next time in New York, I'm gonna look up a lifetime. Is it still going? It's probably still going, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Like I'm I appreciate you tapping in, bro, I'm gonna get you out of here because I know it's getting rather late and with all seventy five kids yours.
Speaker 2: Come kidd, I'm kidding. So there you have it. It's a wrap. I just want to say a huge thank you.
Speaker 1: To all my awesome listeners for rocking with me. I've got a whole locker room full of my favorite interviews from season.
Speaker 2: One coming your way. But before I go, you know the drill. Come on now.
Speaker 1: Make sure to drop us a five star rating or review and hit that followup button on Apple Podcasts, iHeartRadio app, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can also catch us on YouTube on the official YouTube page of the NFL. Till next time, I'm out, built, astract and p