Speaker 1: What's up? And welcome back to another episode of No Sealer's Podcast with your hosts now fuck that with your load glasses Malone. So gonna tell me about that bomb you had it for LLL on tape so everybody can hear it, including LF.
Speaker 2: All right LLL, so L what about fifty three four something like that?
Speaker 1: Now pretty close?
Speaker 3: So he wants to fifty six fifty seven? Cool? Cool? Cool.
Speaker 2: He's been a millionaire about thirty years now, thirty five years.
Speaker 1: Probably longer than that, longer than that. Y's probably been a millionaire for about they're in there forty yeah, thirty five years. That's probably way because he was getting money. He's been getting money for forty years. But he probably became a millionaire thirty five years. That's fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So he's he wants to still lay down tracks and shit. So what's he going to talk about? Like how he doesn't like his new driving lawnmower, so we had to hire landscapers. So what's the new single. I'll let him source you out. Ma'm gonna say, source you out.
Speaker 3: I don't actually think so, bro. I think it has a valid point, man. I think that people should rap as long as they want to.
Speaker 1: Okay, listen, Steve, before we talk about this, before you get on no ceilings. We don't do no political correct shit over here.
Speaker 3: It is I think people should rap as long as they fucking want you.
Speaker 1: I'm not talking about that I'm saying, but the way your voice sounds, he sounded like Steven a fucking Smith, because that's not what No Killings is.
Speaker 3: I sound like a podcaster. I sound like.
Speaker 1: This is not for podcasters. Me and Pete are literally two motherfucking people from different corners of the earth having a great conversation. So we don't have like that professional. Lose that professional. Keep that shit for gangster rap chronicles. You and eight y'all talk professional. This is the motherfucking barbershop.
Speaker 3: Okay for sure, No eight damn sure, don't talk professional.
Speaker 1: Like a professional. Eight No A be like he don't want to talk shit about nobody. A be like super like he's a consummant professional, all.
Speaker 2: Heated argument on the blue line. That's what this is.
Speaker 1: This is what this is. Right at the motherfucking Rosa Parks Metro station, right at the coy.
Speaker 3: M C. Eight has definitely missed it politically correct. He don't want to offend nobody. He don't want to say nothing bad about nobody, and you too, So that's I don't got no problem with talking about a motherfucker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you just came in here with that bullshit. Ask Steven A Skip.
Speaker 2: Has rubbed off on you like butter or like foundation on my shirt?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, I definitely will express whatever is on my mind. I will.
Speaker 1: So now tell us again what you were saying about rapping, and now we're listening.
Speaker 3: I think as long as the person wants to think, as long as an individual wants to rap, he should rap. If you don't want to wrap no more, don't wrap no more. I don't think egg should ever have nothing to do with it. As long as you got bars now, I think if you start getting trash, you should put that motherfucker mic down.
Speaker 1: Like who got trash?
Speaker 2: I said? Are you a gangster rapper drinking at Starbucks latte? Is that what's happening over there?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I don't even what's crazy is I've never drank coffee in my life.
Speaker 2: I couldn't. It was just I just had to. I just had to.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, what funny is?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Is I drink all of the black teas. So like, so every day, every morning because I wake up or like the first thing I try to do. Because I started eating one time of day. Right, this makes seventy days. Seventy one days. I've been eating once a day, you know what I mean, between four thirty and eight thirty. So I try to start, you know, before I eat, I drink like a hot black tea with honey, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Too good for the white teas.
Speaker 1: I don't know if they got white tea cause, but that's a great point.
Speaker 3: I just love how those ceilings ask you a question on the show, then they go to talking about fucking coffee and teas and shit out, yeah.
Speaker 1: Because we don't got that kind of professional shit with y'all sit up there in Arsenior Hall. This ain't Arsenio Hall, my nigga. This is the motherfucking barbershop. So he was asking me about my tea because he knows that would be kind of soft for a nigga be drinking lattes. And I'm restling of my man Pete that this is a black tea. This is an earl gray black tea. Right, So I drink chai. The English Royal Breakfast and the Earl Gray black tea.
Speaker 2: Gray, it sounds like an old R and B singer from the seventies.
Speaker 1: I like, it's sounds like you do buy some fire song.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Earl Gray is actually a really good tea.
Speaker 1: See, and I don't know because you've been to England as It's funny because this conversation is dope because we really get to say but you know, because you've been over there and probably really got Earl Gray from the nigga who made Earl Gray. That's like my dad yesterday he was telling me he knew Bill from Bill's Taco I was like, that's crazy because Bill's Taco to us is just like this spot that said these tacos with gravy and hamburger Patty's. But that nigga actually knew Bill.
Speaker 3: There's something yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so before I eat, So I'm gonna eat at four four thirty as soon as we finish this podcast, i'mna eat. You know what I'm eating for today? And then I end every night with a U in the middle. I usually drink a bird Dock tea and then at night I drank a peppermint tea.
Speaker 3: Lovely.
Speaker 1: So I've been drinking three t's a day, really just to balance my stomach.
Speaker 3: So you you asked me who has gotten trash in the older years.
Speaker 1: No, we didn't really want to answer to that.
Speaker 3: Well, I can tell you the answer to it, but that's just my opinion answer. I would ask the question, answer the question. I'm not gonna say necessarily trash. But I think once you start attaining a certain level of success, you can't talk about the same shit you used to talk about because you don't have them same inspirations. I don't think Cubs as potent as he once was. You know, cubanous man.
Speaker 2: Is ducking this conversation almost like pleading the Fifth Ward Amendment.
Speaker 1: Definitely, But but this is so Q specifically right, and this is important even talking about somebody that's that's came up and them seeing So this is what I think happened with Ice Q. I think Ice cute. You know what's crazy. I always say this. I don't think Snoop gets enough credit for what he's done in hip hop and me and you have had this argument still behind closed doors a million Timeste. You kind of know where I feel, and I've said this multiple times. I think Snoop Dogg is the greatest hip hop artists. People thought this because he was a crib or we some kind of friendly. Like me and Snoop's relationship really just kind of came into a place to where I feel like, you know, he cares if I'm successful or not. I really didn't think Snoop gave two fucks about me when I came up, so it didn't matter that I was a crip or he knew my older homies, none of that. Like, he didn't really show any interest and to none of us when we came up in two thousand and five, six, seven, eight, You know what I'm saying. But I think when Snoop stepped in the game, a lot of the ways we looked at him scene right. He put a different pressure on every artist to change how they mc and to become better songwriters. Like Snoop is one of the first artists right when he first came about that he was like a complete songwriter. And don't get me wrong, obviously DC is a huge you know, like training wheels for Snoop, Like DC kept him in you know, the pockets and explaining songwriting bars and all the completeness that makes a really great rap record, a great rap record, But Snoop innately was that outside of the fact he was skilled. So I think when we remember hearing Cube from you know, obviously eighty seven to ninety two, we heard this super consonant EMC that was influenced by you know, EASYE and writing for him and the things that he was saying for Easy and then Chuck D. But I think when Cube came about, Cube, I'm excuse me, when Snoop came about it started putting pressure on on Cube to become a much better songwriter, you know what I mean. And I think, obviously, what year did the Predator come out?
Speaker 3: The Predator? No, not bro you a little, That's that's Desertalian. Let me see the Predator.
Speaker 1: So the reason I'm saying that is because Snoop started putting pressure on everything moving in hip hop to become a better songwriter. Hell you start looking at the ship nah, start doing like he you know, follow that with if I Ruled the World, you know, I mean on the next album. Because Snoop was so paramount as far as the business went. When it came to retail, he was on top because he was like this really smooth m seed that gave you glimpses of special ed but like still kind of sharp, funny, and he still had a really good voice when he did his hooks. So I think we watched QB develop a lot. We watched QB be this really sharp MC right, and that's what we got. This Snoop comes along and then he evolves into a much better songwriter. So I think we're looking at a style that's been through so many changes in the completeness that you know, I think shit has just got to a place where now is like I'm just writing songs.
Speaker 3: Well. I don't know if if Snoop is necessarily like if he put pressure on cue lyrically about everybody, but Snoop is, for damn sure the biggest superstar ever in the rap in hip hop period. I don't even know if it's nobody close, you know, because the impact he had. You think about it. How many years now he came in maybe ninety one, ninety two, and he's still just as relevant as you know, as ever. You know, he's always he definitely always a step away from putting out another monster record, Like you remember how he just transitioned. He put out Sexual Seduction and sexual subduction record and that fuck work. It was a dope as record.
Speaker 1: So this is no Sillings gl in the house. My nigga Peter Bosh as usual doing what we do. My big brother Norman still jumping in. Back to the business. I look at Snoop like McDonald's like, like, if gangster rap is burgers and fries, right, ice tea would be like Ice Tea would be like those diners you know that you would drive up to in the forties and the thirties that had burgers and fries, but they had other shit on the menu, but they had burgers and fries and they realized everything.
Speaker 3: Huh with thick ass milk shakes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's iced t. Ice T is the first person to me that made people realize there was some value in gangster rap. You know, I mean not talking about shout out to school. He d shout out to everybody before Ice. But I'm saying the guys to me who didn't talk about m seeing, who didn't talk about what their DJ was doing. It was like, no, this is what's happening with me and my homies. There is no DJ out here, There is no mc This is just the life we live, which is the birth of six in the morning. And I think iced T is the first guy you know and hip hop that made you see value in that reality rap, you know, gangster rap, that life of you know, where you're not just a victim of crime or crime is not happening around you, but you are participanting. You like, I'm just gonna do what it take to survive and get ahead. So he's like those diners to me, that really realized there was going to be business in burgers and fries, burgers and fries being gangster rap, ice Cube is Whitecastle. He was like, Yo, I'm not gonna even sell nothing else but burgers and fries. You know, that's it. I'm not I don't need to do nothing else but burgers and fries and ice Cube to me, really, you know, as you know that guy in gangster rap, he understood how valuable it would be in the future. Snoop came along and really changed the way we see burgers and fries completely, you know what I'm saying. And the reason I called him McDonald's because McDonald's built their whole empire off making burgers and fries fast and disposable. You could just eat them outside that come in ninety seconds, you could walk, eat it, throw it away gone. That's Snoop. Snoop made that type of gangster rap where it was like it was just un like you needed it, you know what I mean. It became almost like a social currency to listen to Snoop. Right, But Snoop also was that same business that over the years. Man, he's been able to sell you everything. You know, if gospel you know, that's par phase, you know, pimp rap, you know, chicken nuggets, you know what I mean. This motherfucker could sell anything when it comes to music, like McDonald's could sell anything when it comes to food. What made you quit rapping?
Speaker 3: Big bro?
Speaker 1: Like you know what's funny, I've never asked you that. Like, right, I remember you got the job at the publishing company, right, so I remember that was paying you before that. I'm remember you know obviously us going around the country, taking me out of the country.
Speaker 3: I never stopped rapping, No, yes you did.
Speaker 1: I just don't never stop writing.
Speaker 3: I never. But the thing was, Man, to be honest with you, I think after do tell me the truth. No, I'll be honest with you. I'll be to be honest with you, I stopped rapping bro because I found other ways to express my creativity that were more fulfilling than me now where I'm at in life. You understand what I mean, like I.
Speaker 1: Mean back then?
Speaker 3: Well, what made me stop rapping bro? Honestly as far as releasing the albums? Because I never stopped writing, you know, I never stopped. I just got to rapped this morning, you know. Actually I always see my play sharp, you know. I don't think it Soldier ever stopped. You know, are sharp in his blade even though he ain't going toward no more, he still stay ready. You know.
Speaker 1: But when is the last time you recorded a song?
Speaker 3: The last time I recorded a song? Shit, man, damn two thousand, maybe twenty eleven.
Speaker 1: That's crazy to think you haven't recorded the song since two thoy level you nice nig.
Speaker 3: But I've wrote a whole lot of raps though, dog, with a lot of brilliant raps. And actually I'm thinking about recording some raps because I want to dim on the mouth for people now. I really want to demo some stuff out of people. And I don't never think you ever truly stopped rapping, man. You know, rapping becomes like you eating every day dog.
Speaker 1: No, not not writing, rapping, going in there cutting the record.
Speaker 3: Well you talk about actually the active recording. I still bust my rhymes.
Speaker 1: I still look not shadow boxingar getting in there and recording. Right, So did you ever feel like you was getting like, Oh, I'm I'm getting too old to make this shit happen the way I want to as far as professionally.
Speaker 3: You know what, man, you gotta remember the era I came in. It was different now like now we in the fifty years of hip hop. Right, so you got a whole bunch of old motherfuckers out there rapping it sound nice too, sound good, look good, and every thing else. Right. I think my thing was this, bro, I'm not gonna lie. When you become older, especially back then, motherfuckers look at you like he was crazy. If you're telling me you wrap you feel what I'm saying, they look at you like you like like like what the fuck? Like niggas you ain't about to go get your ass a job, but talk about you rep But they don't. They're not necessarily especially if they're not familiar with your brand. Now, to the people that knew me from my I was.
Speaker 1: Gonna say this, you nigga, You the same age as Dog you snoop age. That's your era of guys. You were close to that, you know, you between cube and corrupting them. Y'all all born around the same time.
Speaker 3: See that's the thing. You though them niggas had monster ass records. I never had a monster record.
Speaker 1: So you felt like you hadn't accomplished.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hadn't accomplished what I wanted to so far in the business, but I did kind of accomplish. I got to see the world. Man, I got to buy behind that.
Speaker 1: Shipload of money. You know what I'm saying, Pep motherfuckers because we be an other countries, because motherfuckers be rapping this nigga shit. Bro, you used to be unbelievable, But you just felt like that part. The way I feel about it, the way I look at that age part, you know what I mean, is I feel like I always joke with Still or anybody else like I feel like, as long as you have your thorns, you know, as a roles, you find the problem is when you start losing your thorns, Because to me, hip hop is very much like the upside down, you know what I mean? And stranger things. It's like this parallel universe of where you're giving people hip hop, not rap, because rap is mainstream, like Debbie Harry was rapping a seventy nine on a Blondie recorder. But hip hop, you know, street urban culture express through art really requires you know what I mean. It's not youth that powers it, right, it's almost inexperience, like when you're stuck in the hood and this is your conversation, you know what I mean. So your lingo is fitting of the small places you've been around, and people hear it and they feel like it represents them in another ghetto, or somebody hears it in Middle America and be like, damn, this is like really with somebody's life. Like, so, I don't think. I think the reason agism even came about, cousin hip hop was because people grow up, get good jobs, and they no longer live and express themselves through street urban art measures.
Speaker 3: And that's a big part of it. Bro, I lost my thorns like you talk about lost your thorns, And really.
Speaker 1: The funny part is you feel how you feel about where how successful you wasn't in comparison to your classmates, right, your peers but literally, you became successful. When I first met you. You owned your own house, You already had some cars, you already went through passports, You was making money. This success is probably more.
Speaker 3: The success is more.
Speaker 1: Was it more detriment to your hip hop career than your age?
Speaker 3: You know what? Bro, I actually feel like I don't think not.
Speaker 1: To cut you off, but let me say this. I don't because being your friend and being one hundred because we in a barbershop, right, like we didn't have his barber shop. I never thought you wasn't ever dope. Like I never heard him was like, oh here he losing it, not like your pen.
Speaker 3: Well exactly, And like I said, I always kept my blade sharp, right. And I think about it now and I do have regrets because I think about it. I'm like, man, I was making cheese and doing what I wanted to. I said, I should have kept doing that shit, dog, I should have kept doing it. But it was a lot going on at that time. I was trying to save my marriage.
Speaker 1: Oh your son, your son was coming.
Speaker 3: Up in Christmas doing his thing, you know. So I started becoming more involved in my family, and I.
Speaker 1: Think that's that's forgive me. That's what happens because in hip hop, like representing the community as important, Now you start to become a representation of your family. What do you think I.
Speaker 2: Think that that that You're right. I was gonna say something similar to a little bit ago, but it's this is you can extrapolate this to a broader reality of the human experience in the arc of the life cycle and any artistic expression that's rooted in either rebelliousness, counterculture, whatever, like anything that's like that, as you're saying, it stems from like I don't understand the system. I feel boxed out from the system. I want to attack the system. And then young people have a certain energy, you know, like like but as you get older, obviously you get better and better at the craft, but the energy is like like Boosy might not be the greatest rap of all time, but he conveys an energy, you know, especially younger Boosy compared to other guys that might be better even now.
Speaker 1: It's it's a real energy about that country model there is.
Speaker 2: It's it's hard to sustain that out of your twenties into your thirties and forties. This is the reality, and like what you see in like Metallica is the greatest metal band of all time. There are like this, all those old counterculture hippie bands or whatever. They No one wants to hear the fifteenth album from Crosby, Stills and Nash. That shit's retarded, you know what I mean. They're gonna tour it, but the crowd's gonna sit there and endure it until the songs.
Speaker 1: They will come on the way for the cut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think you make a point, valid point, Peter. I think you get we live in a day now right to where everybody can express their opinions freely. Like they can hit a motherfucker up on Instagram directly now, whether they see it or not, of whether that artists acknowledges that person's common or not, it's a whole nother thing, right, But they can reach out everybody in real time. And I think the biggest thing whenever you do something that's outside the norm of a regular profession in this country, I think people feel like they have a right to invade.
Speaker 2: Your privacy and like, imagine this, right, people getting a little tired of like the Vixen female rappers when they've been around a little longer when they got a couple kids and they're a little older, because not yet.
Speaker 3: Well, it's definitely for a female. It's way harder for a female because if I decided today to start rapping again, I don't know how it will be received, But I think I would put out some dope ass shit. I would put out something underniable that they couldn't deny. I think I would have an easier time getting accepted versus a female that's fifty three, got grand kids and shit like that. I don't know who would take that serious, well.
Speaker 2: Exactly unless I mean, at the same time, though, there's not a lot of fifty year old active gang bangers on the street corner that's really with it the way that the nineteen year old's with it, you know what I mean. Like, that's that's kind of a novelty.
Speaker 3: Well, tray D makes tray D is the classic example of a dude that wears his age very well.
Speaker 2: He's I was going to say the exact opposite.
Speaker 3: He wears age very well. He talks about he talks from a where he should be. He talks how he should be talking as a man in his age.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: That's it. Don't sounds juveniles. He's actually very vivid, you know what I mean. He's telling you what it is, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The way he carry yourself, he don't carry yourself like no clown. You don't never see him on the internet doing no goofy shit versus some of his other peers. I wouldn't even say that his peers. But we got the generation of fifty somethings that like they're sixteen now.
Speaker 2: On thousand percent, that's true. I mean, like I would like to take out is cracking a little too much on Sundays for the exciting brunch, you know.
Speaker 3: And I would like to think that I evolved from the time I was. I think what hip hop does to people sometimes, especially people that keep rapping, is they kind of stay stuck in his cycle. And I'm talking about the more successful people, right, like the guy that may have been on tour since he was seventeen years old, and they know then they don't go experience life outside of that rap shit, Right. It can definitely keep some motherfucker stunning. It's like an immobilarity to that almost wouldn't you agreed.
Speaker 2: On g.
Speaker 3: And I'm just about the guy like you gotta think about it, Snoop. Snoop is actually one thing I play off Snoop on is that he's been able to integrate his personal life with him being dog and not losing nothing. Like this motherfucker actually coach his kids playing football. He's actually a regular motherfucker like that, actually goes back to the city and does regular shit. Like Snoop is actually the most regular fucking superstar him the Warrings, he is the two most regular superstars I've ever met in my life.
Speaker 1: So this is my thought on that, right, And this is why I say that, right is being a representative of street urban culture. Like that's the cornerstone in hip hop, Right, that's the cornerstone representing it. The difference with Snoop and most people, Snoop never stopped being a cryp never, you know what I mean. And that's really kind of what being a crip is all about. Like people ask me, oh, man, Glass, you're forty now, you know, how could you be a crypt? And I'm like, what do you like imagine telling the general? How do you be a general at forty or fifty, you know, or lieutenant or anybody else that.
Speaker 2: Generals rotate over to raytheon, hang up the stripes, and go cash in on the you know, on the big contract money.
Speaker 1: Yeah what they do when they sixty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they don't turn general to their fifty.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's the problem. Like, So, so what I'm saying to you is you never well it's multiple things, right, you never stop being who you are. Like if you're a real cryp, it's who you are. It's not really yo, it don't mean anything outside of you. You set your own rules. Like, I think what happens to people is economically they start to make money, or to me, the most important things, they have kids, So they want the world to be different. Even if they don't think the world has gotten better, they need to convince themselves the world has gotten better because they have children now, so they want to put out a certain image out to their children to hopefully raise a better version of themselves. So I think, like people ask me all the time, like me and still talking, I've heard still ask me why haven't he think? Why haven't I lost my thorns? Like I don't have children, so there's no reason to force evolve a thought. I don't have to force evolution. I can be as callous and honest as I want to be. I can say whatever the fuck I want because I'm not gonna embarrass anybody. The only person I can embarrass at that point is Leonard Alfred Lampkin, a singer, and he is not easily embarrassed. My dad is not easily embarrassed. My mom is no longer, you know, around me to embarrass her. My grandparents are no longer around for me to embarrassed them by saying the truth, because the truth can be a bit embarrassing. So even on the eve right now, on the eve of cancel these nuts, it's like, the attitude is there, there's no reason for me to. I don't think Still ever lost how he felt. I still think Ryan still, even in two thousand and ten, felt how we felt the same about certain things. But I think as he started looking at Chris, I really feel like, honestly, Chris is what made him evolve out of, you know, the concept of how we talk. Because at that point, now you're looking at somebody you're trying to bring into the world, and you're like, hold up, I can't just be as raw as I used to be because I need my son to grow up you know with some sense, Wat's up with it? G l A double dollar sign the shot, that's right, glasses Malone, And on motherfucking September twenty second, I'm dropping my new album, Cancel These Nuts. But for anybody that want to support right now, hop online go to the cryptstore dot com. That's right, the crypt Store th h E c R I P S t O r E dot com and buy a physical copy right now autograph from me, right now. You can have it ahead of time before it's on all streaming sites. So social support to the real was I'm saying, jump on the cryptstore dot com and buy my new album, Cancel These Nuts, buy it right now before it drops online September twenty second. Yeah, the cryptstore dot com.
Speaker 2: Still let me ask you something, is there a parallel between say, your arc of development intellectually whatever, et cetera, just as you as the years are gone by, Like now we look at say, all these seventy some year old geriatric politicians. They were the hippie activists in nineteen sixty seven. They're they're just old now. So they went from being anti the system to now being the system that's squeezing the grape dry. So how much of is there a pivot for you between going from having an energy that's like I don't understand the system to now I can. I do understand the system, and I can make the system work for me.
Speaker 3: You know, you know what they're This is how I feel, Peter, and this is where I'm at in life right now. I really like I can do anything now, Like I'm in my prime intellectually, you know, my prime intellectually. My physical health is not bad. It's not optimal, you know, it's not you know, I'm not twenty.
Speaker 1: Two, you know, check engine, like come on and never will Yeah, you just.
Speaker 3: Never go off. But I'm a lot and I'm in a lot better place than some of my peers, you know, guys my age. Right, I go to the gym, my left weights, I work out three or four times a week. Now I've actually got my weight down, my high blood pressures under control. So you definitely become more conscious on the physical side of yourself, you know, in the physical and mental you just become a lot more aware of things, Like I honestly think you spend a portion in your life as a man trying to figure out who the fuck you are as a person, you know, because you go through different changes. And that was one of the things that I would have these really bad panic attacks, not really necessarily panic attacks. But I've been with my wife since I was nineteen years old, right, and so I always saw this thing to where I just looked at as one day and I said, we just kind of just moving through life, and everything is evolved around these kids. What happens when these kids leave, is me and her still gonna be cool. So I started really, I started really making a conscious effort to be her husband, you feel what I mean, instead of just being somebody's daddy. You know what I'm saying, I'm her husband. We just we not roommates living together taking care of some kids. We are actually a couple. This is why we got together, you know what I mean. That's why I always encourage people when they do get together, to stain from having kids as long as they can and actually build up that relationship with y'all, you know what I mean, because that's what it's all about. At the end of the day, ain't about them fucking kids like that, but they go going with their life. You gotta think.
Speaker 1: About it, and if you try to tell them about they love, like they gonna tell your sorry ass to mind your fucking business.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, but they gonna be all up in yours. If you arguing with their mama, they gonna have fifty different opinions on our conversation should be going right. But I think, man, I definitely see what you're saying, Peter, and I think you just definitely become just more conscious of yourself and you realize you got limited time because my thing is now, I'm not doing nothing small. I'm not wasting no time with no small I'm not interested in no job. I'm not interested in none of that shit. I'm interested in going as hard as we possibly can to build what we gonna build. Because once you get on the other side of fifty, you start realizing what shit I don't got. I don't feel like I got infinite time.
Speaker 1: No more there.
Speaker 3: You know, not that I'm just amskin.
Speaker 2: I didn't feel like that since I was twenty nine, you know.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying. But yeah, some people do get that feeling early. It's like it's a bigger sense of urgency for me now, Like I don't have time to bullshit, I don't have time to bullshit with bullshit people. I'm more in the place right now. And I used to always think old people was mean when they be real direct with people like no, I ain't interested in that shit. They not being mean. They just at that place now where them shit with nobody now because I used to be the nice person, even if up to three years ago, I used to be the nice motherfucker all the time. Now it's like, man, I ain't got time for that shit. Well, I don't want to do it, as simple as that, Like I don't have time for it, and I you know, I tell a motherfucker quickly. Well, man, you like I called Nash you to do something? You calling me ask me something.
Speaker 1: What do you feel about NAS's like his sixth album run with hit Boy.
Speaker 3: I think that's incredible, man, I think that's dope. Man. I think Nas is like the example of I think Naves and Snoop is like the example of people that's aging, gracefully, dog doing what they do. Because if you ever noticed, Knives don't never vary from what he do, Like this is a very inst for him hooking up with hit Boy. You know, Nives is usually over some you know, Primo beats over some what's my over over some Pete rock shit like that, you know what I'm saying. But he's ventured out hip pit boy in the experiment and they having fun, and I think that's what hip hop should be. Dog. I think that's what hip hop should be actually seeing the shit knives doing.
Speaker 2: Dog.
Speaker 3: I've thought about releasing the album's Dog, not really necessarily just based on me rapping on every song, but me producing some of the shit. I may write some of the shit, I may actually say some of the shit, but just me, it's like painting a picture. Dog. Okay, this is what I feel like putting out to the world. Now. I don't give a fuck up this shit do five hundred streams of five hundred million. I'm just putting it out there. This is gonna be my gift to the world because the one blessing I think that we got as artists and the Creator's Dog is that we get to leave our legacy on the wall. These are these is our motherfucking hieroglyphics, so to speak. You know how motherfucker could go back to the pyramids and see what the motherfucker was thinking. However, many millions of years ago, you are going to actually look back and see what your thought process was. So I said, Man, do I actually want a motherfucker when he see my hieroglyphic to think that a fucking song called Bubba Pomps for some bullshit like that was what was on my mind back then, because I think I had way more depth than that. I would like a motherfucker to know who I truly am.
Speaker 1: Wrong with an Ass still, but I'm just seeing it over about that.
Speaker 3: But you feel what I'm saying, Like, like, I understand what I'm saying, Bro, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm a big fan of ASS, very big fan, but sound like but the thing is this, though I love ASS, I think us as creators, Bro, we're actually leaving our hieroglyphics for people to see. We actually get to do that, versus a person that's living their life like, Okay, they go to college and they realize after they get that degree that they just been robbed. Is that degree ain't really shit unless you got a network to go along with it, right, You know, there's plenty of motherfuckers to graduate and wind up getting a job at Walmart and going through the management trainee program and be there for forty years of their life. Right, I think the person that dares the dream is in a way better place dog than that person, because that person's pretty much just prepared itself to go lay in the casket. To me, almost I've seen it all the time. But people, they they graduate, they got this expectation of where it ain't their expectation. They want to please everybody else, they ain't really trying to please theyself. Instead of them following their dreams, they go get this job and they wind up saying, Okay, this is gonna be a temporary thing, but it winds up being permanent because it gives them a false sense of security that Okay, I have this job right now. These people like me. I'm accepted by them until they come and tell you ask one day that they letting you go. And then you realize, well, damn we not as school as I'm very dispensable. You feel what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's ninety five percent of the human experience is defined by followers and people who are not risk takers. Leaders and risk takers are only one in twenty at most, probably one in one hundred.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's like one thousand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so, bro, because you know, I remember my mom, my mom, and my wife is so much like it's scary, and I think it's just women things. Women just like security and safety, right, even if it is faith. Right. I remember my mom telling me one day when I was talking about coming in California, she came home with an application all happy. She knew somebody whose son was a district manager for Burger King. Betty's son said he can get you in the management training these program up there. They gonna send you the community college and you go go do this and you And I was looking at her, like, are you crazy? You think I want to stay up here and ohio on work at the fucking Burger King. Now, there's nothing wrong with that. I got mine, I got. I'm like, you don't you really lost lost because in my mind I'm thinking about going out to state. My thing is, she got to tell you. And I told Darley, shout out to the homegirl, Darlene nortiz Man. She's a beautiful person. Man, cool lady, real cool lady. Right.
Speaker 1: I met Darlene Ice Tea first baby mama.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ice Tea's first baby mama, and we got the talking and I said, Darlene, you know you're part of the reasons I came to California. She said, how's that? I said, my friend had the album cover.
Speaker 1: Oh with her on the cover with her and the.
Speaker 3: Cover in ice tea, and you.
Speaker 1: Can all the women look like no, but I saw it.
Speaker 3: Was just the whole image. It wouldn't just hurt. See, it was like a lifestyle. Ice was something right. That motherfucker was fresh as a motherfucker. Dog it's home over there, had the money in the strap and shit, and he had bat ass broad.
Speaker 1: He came out here and got you at Darlee. That's what I said.
Speaker 3: One song I had, I said on the one song I wrote, I forget what it was. I said, I want a gun. I said, I want a chain with a gun and the bad bits like iceed tea. That's what I wanted, dog. I wanted that lifestyle. It was just so much bigger than life. And then I looked around when I saw the album cover. I'm like this nigga out here in palm trees with this bad woman dog got money, and I look at these motherfucking brick ass, gray ass guys on me. I'm like, I'm out this motherfucker.
Speaker 1: What's crazy is I think Ice Tea, Snoop Dogg, and Too Short are who they are. And I think everybody that gets in the hip hop they want their personality to be as accepted. But the problem is Snoop, Iced Tea and Too Short are the They're like the mascots, like the exact representation of street urban culture. Like right now, when you watch SVU cuz it's a ice tea, ice t is sixty five years old at this point, that nigga is still iceed Tea and that's the problem. Like, like as somebody who have conversations with og cuz that nigga is for real ized Tea. Snoop is really Snoop, Like right now when I talk to you're like, yeah, what up, cuz blah blah, Like he that's who he is. And really it's how it ages. Like, you know, some people ask like do you think, like how are you still a gang bang? And I'm like, well, if you think gang banging is stupid, you would never understand it. So if you like, oh, you know, how do you represent your community still? How do you represent your friends and family?
Speaker 3: Still?
Speaker 1: Like it's all a part of the same thing to me, like, really.
Speaker 2: He's the only guy who's changed. Naw, He's the only person now on the film side that's Curtis fifty cent Jackson. Everybody else is the same.
Speaker 1: Because Fifth really Fifth ohill never be able to watch that shit all for him. He's just gonna be that type of nigga for the rest of his life. He's almost like them niggas, is them with a pride, that nigga shit Fifth fifty that's stained on him, Like I believe genuinely in my heart he wants to evolving to somebody else, but like he is that nigga, like he is with that bullshit all the time to the day he dies. So I look at other other people that's in hip hop, like the guys that I grew up. Scarface is another guy. Scar Face always been a preacher. It was always going to work for him. Scarface put out autum right now is gonna work out for him because Scarface was a preacher the first day, you know what I mean. It's just the guys to me, like, I don't think you would, like I think there's some people committed to that roles like Rick Gross. Rick Gross wasn't a you know, twenty year old drug dealer, but I think Ric Ross is committed to the role of being a street urban drug dealer from Miami.
Speaker 2: So with him, that's a major component to the longevity conversation. Anyway, when you're writing, like you know, you compare like music to film. You know, there aren't a lot of movie writers that write themselves into the script and play themselves in the movie as themselves, you know what I mean. So they're not like image integrated vertically, whereas like a rap you might a lot of these guys they're they've written a character for a TV series that comes out in albums instead of seasons, so to speak, and they're just gonna keep making another season in another season of the season because they don't give a fuck because they're Joe Blow and you know, a little such and such as their name on on wax and who cares, you know. But the guys who are more like I'm saying what I feel, this is a reputation of me and the no no, no, that's I think a whole different party because now their genuine, authentic evolution through time and life becomes party to the representation of the music and opposed to just like Rick could make fictitious Rick albums for now the next thirty years, it's gonna be the same fucking thing. It don't even matter you care. Yeah, he can rap about cars and kilos until he's ninety five, because Rick Ross in that case doesn't exist.
Speaker 1: Sure, it's just a character for a television show for it. Yeah, that's true, that's true. I don't know. I don't what's crazy is my problem? The way I feel at my age now, being forty right, is like the song is no longer as much of a platform as it once was, you know what I mean? Like it's limit it, like I'm limited.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I hear that with one of my favorite rappers as he got a little older, bun By, Like the content that he's trying to put out either A you don't understand it or B you don't understand how to put into the song because the time confines and word limitations of the song and what you're trying to say.
Speaker 1: They don't mix how much wisdom bun b would try to stuff in a fucking song, How much wisdom he has at this point, it's almost like that's but I think it's a mad medium. It's medium face be like, yeah, it's just hard, and I didn't and I'm like, what you mean is who are you scarfaced? But it's like his ideas can no longer. It's hard for him to express his ideas in three minutes in twenty seconds. It's hard for me to do it, you know what I mean. And don't get me wrong, like I think ice T is putting out an album right now at sixty five with some new gangster rap stories because ice T is that kind of character. But the advice I would I would really give to all of all of my predecessors, the guys that I grew up listening to and enjoying my whole life is ll says something really important in that statement where he said hip hop is not a sport. It's not a sport. It's not really a competition, as much as it feels like it is, it's not. It's really art's artistry, you know what I mean? And you putting whatever you putting on them, like still refer to the pyramid walls. So you whoever's listening to this podcast, is dog listening, if dre listening, if quick listening, you are not restricted to play by rules. You are the architect, so you can make right. Now, DJ Quick can come out ice ta cond come out with an eight minute song. If it's interesting and he does what he does, I probably listen to all eight minutes. Now would it assimilate into mainstream? Is gonna be different?
Speaker 2: That's an interesting observation. And you talk about the confidence of time and messaging. There's been a pivot in media from these short you know, the thirty minute news show that's gonna have four guests on, They're gonna be for two minute interview segments. The guest feels misrepresented, no information is conveyed, it's a bunch of horseshit or rogan in the podcast where we're gonna have this guy come on and let him tell it from beginning to end on his terms. In totality, I think older rappers need to not do songs and albums. They need to do like the podcast. I'm gonna come out with one song, it's fifty five minutes, enjoy and I'm gonna say the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Well, sure you can do that too, but I'm saying so since I've announced that I was putting out an album, right, I was like, yeah, I'm gonna sell some physical copies and some albums, Like, I'm gonna sell some physical copies, but I'm gonna make it a novelty thing because I'm in LA and I'm like society so far ahead. Nobody has CD players wrong as shit wrong, Like I just had to reorder on over four hundred plus copies of physical albums autograph right. And it's because at this point in my life, I don't have to play by rules.
Speaker 2: I got the best idea for the crypt Store, tell me, because I don't have a CD player. Sure, but I used to mail CD players, Yeah, back and back and forth. The crypt Store should come out with a custom CD player with the stash spot built in.
Speaker 1: You hear this, crazy one of the fucker I used to pack work and electronics and mail them, Bro, that would be fucking great work on man. But the point I'm making is I just think that again, all of the people I grew up listening to like be agit, you don't have to play by rules, Like That's the one thing I caught right when I started working on this. There is no rules there. There's rules if you're younger. When you get older, like Steve said, there is no rules. People have to take it from you how you dish it? He right, like older people be acting like dis but you take it because you're like, man, the motherfuckersn't live their life, you know what I mean, and you look at it differently.
Speaker 3: So I think.
Speaker 1: How you really beat agism is you don't play by the rules that younger people play by. I think if you try to play in the confined, you know, and the constraints of where today's hip hop is, that's when you start to realize you old, you know what I mean. You're like, oh, I can't do what this John he's doing, But you don't have to do that in the first place. There is benefits in today's time of how hip hop has evolved into this space. You could take, like I take pieces of it, little parts of it. I'm like, oh I like that.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 1: But then I do what I want to do and it entertains everybody at that point because I don't have to play by the rules.
Speaker 2: Pop now is it's a multi generational, you know, experience, not only on the product production side, from the artist side. It's now a multi generational consumer experience. Sure, so you know, the forty three year old lifelong hip hop fan has a different appetite than the nineteen year old hip hop fan does. So you see, so the marketplace is now very different on the consumption side as well.
Speaker 1: I just think, I think, even to go further with that point, I think people just want dope shit. They don't give a fuck long as it's creative. I think you can write a rap movie where everybody rapping and everybody and watch it. I literally can make an album, make a mini series, put it on my YouTube, and drop it weekly. Like so a lot of my fears is the music is my constraint, right because it's like the time words. But really, like like Ll said in that interview, like he's like, like, it's more based off my own insecurities. Even when I listen to Still, it's based off of his insecurities versus going out and just being amazingly dope, like we could be standing on top of our head.
Speaker 2: Do me a favor, Just get any beat and loopid for twenty four minutes and once a week, like a sitcom would be twenty four minutes long on television in the nineties. Just do a no hooks cast twenty four minute.
Speaker 3: Man with the intention span people got today. Man, I don't even know.
Speaker 1: I'm not you know what. That's what I'm not conceding, that mentality of atensive span. That is literally what has fucked up a lot of art. Believing what people's intensive spent are. People will pay attention to dope shit. That won't be the fuck if that shit is two hours of dope shit. It don't matter if it's two seconds of dope shit or two hours of dope shit. You don't believe that's a little bit, Well no, because I'm gonna tell you why I don't. I've put out songs. Kanye should have never made that bit just four minutes, five minutes.
Speaker 2: Rogan got a Brazilion that that ship is eternal. That's half a day of television content, for Christ's sake, for CNN.
Speaker 1: It's eternal, not like I think if you if your own, if your mind state is I want to market it to the kids that I think are hip. He probably never marketed to just hip kids, right, that's we that was just our lives. It was always marketed to Peter in Middle America. It was always marketed to them. That was the goal to get it to where Middle America was they're the biggest consumers of hip hop as far as the music.
Speaker 2: And now I think songs people you know, markets learned. So the songs that make the most money are like the party songs that dance, the songs that are about to be behind it mor than was being said over the beat.
Speaker 1: And to add to that, just songs that help you escape your regular reality of driving home and being that fucking work.
Speaker 2: But like when you go to the even you go to the club, the DJ is only you're playing a fraction of the song and run into the next. I mean dance hall started that in the Island back in the day. I mean now it's where songs are getting shorter mixes of the shorter songs are getting shorter. People just but that's a different experience. If you came out, like remember the thing you were talking about where one of the rappers dads you you in County. Yeah, yeah, if you did a twenty four minute flow that was cool about and just called it County and just did twenty four minutes of gang module as a story with Ryme over a beat.
Speaker 1: R Kelly already proved is with you in the closet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be awesome. If you read the next one called The Corner and did twenty four minutes of just cooking and selling out the hole in the front door, that was y like vividly and you just got to be dope heavy. Yeah, you can just tell the whole fucking story. I don't have to like touch and go and tell. To tell the whole story like a like a History Channel documentary overbeat for twenty minutes straight, that would be very interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just do one that people will fuck with it. I don't know. I don't conceive that attention span shit still, I don't fuck with that at all. I believe there's an audience of people who want their content in less than a minute, and I believe that that audience of people will even look at shit that's longer if it's fantastic and it has social currency, you know, it comes with social currency for viewing it. I think pro must die. Like when tuproba much DIBs coming out, everybody was trying to tell me how kids wouldn't care, and I'm like, it don't matter who is breathing air. It don't matter Tupac passed away twenty plus years ago. If shit is good, I don't give fuck how old you are you JFK.
Speaker 3: I agree with you one hundred percent. She and one thing we need to stop doing is stop fucking catering the fucking kids.
Speaker 1: Niggas got McDonald's taste. My little niece. I was telling my dad this. We was talking yesterday and we were talking and we was talking about how the food has changed over times again, back to that Bill's taco conversation. He was like, man, it's crazy because you know McDonald's. He was saying, McDonald's is surviving, and I said, McDonald's survive off children, like when you under when you under ten. There's a social currency that comes with getting McDonald's, in passing McDonald's, and wanting McDonald's. As soon as a child's taste buds grow in. For the most part, most children in and out, especially here in southern California, in and out becomes a vibe exchange. My niece is like that. She used to want happy meals. Now that ship turned into a double DOUBLET.
Speaker 3: That ship in and Out is probably the op rated restaurant out here.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's a r but I understand why you would say that. I used to say that.
Speaker 3: Don't get me wrong. I think it's cool.
Speaker 1: I used to say that too. But if you compare In and Out to McDonald's, in and out is like the ship.
Speaker 2: I think the thing is in and Out because.
Speaker 3: Because McDonald's got better fries, though.
Speaker 1: McDonald's got better everything, except it's none of it's better because you go feel like shit later at the eating In and Out is like a mass produced burger, like In and Out, Bird King and Carl Junior and all that shit, except it's just better than those places. Like In and Out is not better than five guys, but five guys is probably gonna cost you twenty dollars for a meal. You gotta walk in, you gotta kind of sit down. There are two different experiences.
Speaker 3: But five guys and it's fired though.
Speaker 1: But in and Out compared to it, it's it's it's it's uh, it's it's. It's comparisons, right is.
Speaker 2: It's comparisons are drive through change. I think that.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: I'm not in a big hurry go eat it in and out, but I'm not a big hurry to go eat it in the drafting burger.
Speaker 1: Chance.
Speaker 3: Well, I tell you this, Wendy's definitely is underrated. Wendy's and Burger King got some pretty good burgers.
Speaker 1: Wendy's is my favorite burger.
Speaker 2: I love the spiced chicken sandwich.
Speaker 1: But other than that, I like, I'll get a double. I'll get a Dave's double, no onions extra mao. They got a little package of chili sauce. It's like a hot, spicy sauce. I put it on that motherfucker too. That motherfucker be hidden.
Speaker 3: And lemonade taste nice andgether that ship is sweet and tangy, purpose.
Speaker 1: True true, In and I got a lot of hacks though, because In and Out got the Flying Dutchman with the onion ring top and bottom. In and I got chopped Chili's. Go get your double double, said, I want chopped chilis.
Speaker 3: What's the name of the one with the onion rings on the flying Dutchman. I'm gonna get that next time.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a bizarre sexual position.
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 1: But tell them you want that, you want to you want the onion rings top and bottom, and they give you a burger with grilled onions topping bottom, Like that's your bun that should be hidden. But In and Out got a lot of good hacks. In and Out. I get it, like i've for years that In and Out is overrated. But it's only overrated the way people rat it, but in comparison to its counterparts at that time, because they really you know what I mean, it is, well, McDonald's actually tastes good. That's the problem. It's just not doesn't.
Speaker 2: They don't taste good. The ice cream, the sweet tea, and the fries is all that they got.
Speaker 3: It's just bad. You're bad.
Speaker 2: They're bad, are they They're bad? They're bad bad.
Speaker 1: You know what, Maybe I'm just conditioned on McDonald's.
Speaker 2: I hadn't tried. I hadn't had chicken nuggets in a few years ago. I had them for the first time fifteen years. I had one. I say, for as chief as it is, I'm gonna throw it out and go.
Speaker 1: You know what, it don't really taste like chicken.
Speaker 2: That's very true. That's that's uncomfortably true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think that's the problem.
Speaker 2: So but you know my Wendy's hack though, real quick, I get the same thing. What is every time I get the spicy chicken sandwich with no male and you got to ask for the salad ranch because that stupid packet ranch is shit. But the cold chilled fresh salad ranch and the that's it, dip the spiced chicken in the salad ranch, You're winning.
Speaker 1: Okay, you need to add this chili sauce on your will ask for that. That shit gonna fuck your life. I will ask for that. I bring a kick to it.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna tell you. One thing I think I always wanted to do was this. I always wanted to open up a burger stand. I think I would serve the best hamburgers around. I would serve definitely. I would never. I wouldn't serve anything but lemonade burgers and fries.
Speaker 1: You remember Mikes and Bellflower.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I STU love big mics that used to be like that. Yeah, but that's how my ship would be right, and my French fries would be hand cut. I would have potatoes back there, would actually cut my potatoes.
Speaker 1: Your food gonna take forever.
Speaker 3: Hey, it don't matter. If you want some bullshit burger, go and wait the line of McDonald's. You want some good shit, come sit with me. I ain't gonna be no more than fifteen twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: It'd be so funny if if you ran the name and called it steel stainless Burger.
Speaker 3: That'd be cool. That'd be some cool shit. That's we're gonna do with the burger pitt. I'm gonna be out there really cooking hamburgers.
Speaker 1: Watch up with it this show, Look Glasses Malone. My new album Cancer These Nuts is available September twenty second, But to any supporter who wants to hear the album right now, I just partner with an amazing new platform, even dot Bizz. The link is in my bio. You can listen to the album right now and pay what you want. What's more player than that live Q and A's listening parties vinyls Hell. You might even gain access to the release party where we perform the album with a live band. Shout out to the Furnace Band. So if you want to hear the album right now, go sign up with even aka even dot biz right now. Yeuh good? Looking out for tuning into the Note Sellers podcast. Please do us a favorite, subscribe, rate, comment, and share. This episode was recorded right here on the West coast of the USA and produced by my homeboys A King for the Black Effect Podcast Network and now Hard Radio. Yeah h