Speaker 1: Sabrina, where are you? You look like you're in the witness witness relocation. Hold up today's newspaper, so I know you're doing okay? Where are you?
Speaker 2: I'm in to Loom, Mexico today.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: I'm in from a vaca that my husband and I are so excited to get out and Jess, we're going to go do lots of sight scene.
Speaker 3: We're super stoked about that. We were here five years.
Speaker 2: Ago, came here for a wedding, had lots of plans, wedding took over for our friend, didn't make the sight scene that we wanted to. This trip, we're doing it.
Speaker 1: So is it just it's just an adult trip? Did you you drop the kiddos with the with the baby Sea?
Speaker 2: I know, so, of course it's a balance of anxiety and letting go. I don't know, I've still Monroe's almost.
Speaker 3: Four and I still just haven't really conquered it yet.
Speaker 2: But it's really really good for me as an individual, and of course you know that's my husband.
Speaker 1: You apparently the best way medically to achieve that balance not having kids.
Speaker 2: Yes, I know, I would say they gave me a welcome drink that I was excited for savoring till I got in the room to just sip on and it turns out it's it's like water ice and triple sex.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, you have to.
Speaker 2: Call down to that front desk and Melvin, I don't feel very welcome.
Speaker 1: Demand more tequila, Demand more tequila. Well, seeing as you're at a beach front resort, I think it fits in kind of perfectly, I know, with what we're doing today. First of all, let's just say welcome to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses are smart, the waves tsunamis and the high school's musical.
Speaker 2: I'm Wilford L And I'm Sabrina, and the beaches are sunny, so com damn wow.
Speaker 1: Are you ready, Freddy? Are you ready? Steady?
Speaker 2: Am ready ready ready?
Speaker 1: Okay, good, because it is officially time to hang ten groovy daddy. Oh, because this week we're diving into twenty thirteen's teen Beach movie. This next sentence might be my favorite sentence I've ever read a time traveling surf movie with an obvious title. I think that's the best. I don't know why they didn't just go with Joni Tsunami, which could have been a kind of a fun way to do it. It would be hard to different. Well, it is. It's very different. I I was just about to say a terrible joke and I'm not going to. Wow. They never broken a song during Johnny Tsunami, so it was easy.
Speaker 2: To age it would be.
Speaker 1: It would be hard to ignore the fact that this movie is coming off of the immense ridiculous success of High School Musical for the Disney Channel. So there is a bit of reverse engineering here, with a very large focus on musical numbers, dance routines, and just crazy good looking actors. So much so that the original title of this piece was teen Beach Musical. Okay, so that's what they were doing. This one is available to stream now on Disney Plus. So go and watch it and get cued in and everything we're gonna talk about, or or don't I say, flip a coin and just stick.
Speaker 2: Whatever it spray tans, y'all, Oh, are those good for you?
Speaker 1: Aren't those the bat No, it's the it's the those are the it's the tanning beds that are bad for you?
Speaker 2: Right? Are fine? Those are those are fine?
Speaker 1: Okay, I prefer just the sun. There's a bunch of very mild reviews from critics on this coming of age tale. Entertainment Weekly gave it a C grade, loving two of the songs of the movie, but quote the rest was dull as sand. Variety bashed the casting and said though it plays like a brightly colored beach blanket, it is rough around its sandy edges. But even with this in mind, the United States premiere received a whopping eight point four million viewers in its first airing and a total of thirteen point five million after just seven days on DVR, making it the second highest rated movie in cable history people, behind only High School Musical two. This time it's personal. I don't know if that's actually the name of High School Musical too. I haven't seen them yet. I'm sure I'm wrong. Not it's not. That might have been Jaws four. No, that's the Revenge. This was a massive, massive success for Disney Channel and one big reason for the highly watched premiere. The Disney Channel worked with some band called One Direction. If I'm reading that right, I'm not who. I'm not sure who they are to film promotional videos for the movie to tie into their new hit Best Song Ever, which also has an incredibly obvious title and is an out and out lie. It's no comfortably numb. Let's be honest, listen. I don't mean to blow your mind here, but the movie was filmed in Puerto Rico. This was not Utah, this was not Vancouver. Could not fake the beaches that they needed in either Utah or Vancouver. So it is a new destination for the dcom world, and obviously they just needed a ton of new beaches. The budget was amazingly high for a Disney Channel movie. It was eight million dollars, and they certainly made a count because this was the only this is okay a thing we've talked about, especially in your generation, like your era of dcom. They were doing one a month to show how differently it is now. This was the only dcom released in all of twenty thirteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah that at that point, I feel, just from the just being in it, it was okay. Instead of just spreading out this big budget to a bunch of movies, it started being a little bit more specific. You know again, Internet, you know, all different kinds of apps, all that stuff was starting to like come about. So they started implementing the budget specifically towards better movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, big big quit like big huge descendancy, kind of like tent pole flagship kind of movie things instead of just pumping them out.
Speaker 2: When I think back, it's like so sad to think because again, at that time, when it was every month, I remember being excited every you know, sus Friday or whatever that was every month. Then it started to just get a little bit more, you know, it started to spread out, and I remember hearing from the fans that they weren't super excited, but let me tell you, they got behind every movie that came out.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. So they became an eventto themselves. Yes, And also we were at twenty thirteen, we were getting away, really starting to step away from the monoculture thing. So it was there was so much content starting to come out, so many people watching on different things, that the audience was changing. It just wasn't running home from school to watch some cool stuff anymore.
Speaker 2: Just totally well. And not only that, but these movies were becoming French, so you're talking merch, you're talking h tours of some sort or at least big performances of some things that like the fans could actually go and experience, which I think makes it better for them to be able to have these types of opportunities versus just Steph Friday night at their own house or friends.
Speaker 1: Ye. Right, but they they were still pumping out xenons back in the day.
Speaker 2: I mean, oh gosh, the Cheetah Girls came with the tour. We came with the tour.
Speaker 1: We kind of started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it was that was That's what I'm saying. This was like right in the mecha of all of that, and it just it was just a shift. And I think there was good things that were awesome because the fans could actually come and see us lies, but awesome opportunities for the kids to actually and the fans actually be able to be in front watching these performances that they see on stage.
Speaker 3: However, yes, it did mean that it wasn't happy.
Speaker 1: I mean, as often that's true.
Speaker 2: It's like a sword, right, like how do you win each way?
Speaker 1: So obviously, I mean I seem to know the answer to this question because I'm guessing I'm the only person on the planet that I had never heard of this movie. So you had heard of this before we did this right.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm gonna have to really.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sorry, so excited for what's about to happen. I don't know what it is, and I'm so apry.
Speaker 2: I went into this movie already bummed because when you talked about Team Beach, I was like, oh, yeah, totally got it. Love it. Can't wait for my Jonas brothers to hit the stage. Super stoked. Oh, come to find out, I'm the entire wrong movie.
Speaker 1: I was camp Rock.
Speaker 2: I was caamp Rock that we have not done it, we are obviously going to do So I went into this movie already disappointed, like so, I will tell you what how my first thoughts of it later because I know we're getting very quickly to that. But I actually really in my head thought I had seen this movie, but you no. And I just think it's because this was during the time of Cheetah that I remember hearing about it. I know I've met some of the cast, I know we've been at Disney stuff together, and I guess I just convinced myself that I had seen this movie. Let me tell you, within the first scene, I was.
Speaker 3: Like, nope, nope, never seen before.
Speaker 2: And again I told you, I went into it a little bit disappointed because I thought I was gonna see my trope brows.
Speaker 1: Is there is there any part of you that still thinks this is camp Rock?
Speaker 2: No? No, not at all. No, No, I'm saying like I instantly went to like storyline. No, it's totally different. This is this. I can't wait to hear what you have to say about it, because I got lots to say.
Speaker 1: I let's do it, okay, let's do it all right. So obviously I had no idea what this was. But before we claim ownership of Big Mama's Bar and Grill, let's get into the synopsis. Here, two young surfers are swept away by a huge wave, finding themselves acting out a real life version of the nineteen sixties film Wait for It Wet Side Story, which I'm sorry, no matter how many times I heard it just remind me of shaving Ryan's privates. It just sounded like a bad porn movie, That's all it sounded like to me, So Wet Side Story. When their presence derails the movie's intended plot, they must set things right in order to return home. Is that should I have gone with Harry Twater? Which one would have been better.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I just need you to stop these an I know it is wet side story.
Speaker 1: This is what they come up with for a Disney movie? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: That's all I was thinking about when it was on the poster though, in the background, when they come in after this cute little date we'll get in. I'm sure you can talk about the cute little date. They come into the search shop and there it is, just on the backside.
Speaker 1: I yeah, you think it's a mistake. It's like that can't be right. It does? It does? Yep. Okay, it's wet side story. Yep. Okay, we'll get back to that. I think another easy way to explain this movie to anybody who doesn't know anything about it is its beach blanket bingo meets pleasant film, which is kind of kind of what this is. So here we go the part you've been waiting for. Early thoughts. What did you think of the film?
Speaker 2: I'm embarrassed. I'm embarrassed, all right, well, not embarrassed, I'm nervous because I'm predicting your thoughts.
Speaker 1: I loved it, Okay, okay, there's something wrong with that.
Speaker 2: The once state, one state, we're gonna go into the synopsis once they get in to where the world that we're gonna live in for the next you know, sixteen minutes. I wish no, well, it takes like a little takes it.
Speaker 1: I see what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, like that that I was in.
Speaker 1: I was in.
Speaker 2: I was in, I was committed. I loved it. And the whole time, you're right here in my head hating every not every certain moments as like, oh am I subritacy will hate this. Here we are and song and dance again for no freaking rip. I will hate it, and I'm for it.
Speaker 1: So I watched the movie. Okay, I do not like musicals. I do not like when people break into song for no reason whatsoever. I find it to be incredibly stupid. I always am like, seriously, did you get together and rehearse before you got here. I didn't hate this movie, Okay, I didn't, And I will say this, I liked it better the second time I watched it because of what there. Okay, it could have been executed better parts of it, but the joke of why are they all breaking in the song all the time? This is all created, They're all supposed to be beautiful, and it works for me. It works for me because it's it's making fun of itself, and so because of that, I I like, like, I'm I'm glad I watched this before high because if i'm I understand high school musical, which I don't really know anything about, it's this minus the irony.
Speaker 2: There is no joke about high school correct you understand that, now, mister will exactly no joke about high school musical, don't you dare?
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying. That's what I'm saying. I remember my brink backlash, so no, but what I'm saying is high school musical they just break in the song and it's to be expected, whereas t each movie they're breaking into song and they joke about the fact there's even a song, about the fact that they're breaking in a song. So because of that I liked. I mean again, it was am I gonna go and be like call my friends and be like, dude, you gotta watch TV.
Speaker 2: No, but I'm not telling any of my friends to watch these movies. I'm watching these for me.
Speaker 1: Oh but I've seen I've told friends to go watch like Color of Friendship are going to the mat? Like these are yes this one. Though again, not a huge fan of of musicals except for some there's a couple that I really like. But there's like music in movies as the post musicals. But again because the actors are being so over the top, so crazy, and it's all about the irony of it being a musical. I thought it was fun.
Speaker 2: I was. It made it so much easier to watch because the time, the moments where you want to be like, okay, it's like not a big deal because it's a part of the whole, the entire circle that they are in, this little bubble that they live in for so long. And I thought it was done so well, we'll get to.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, big big budget. I mean yeah, they spent so Mney. You can tell. You can tell.
Speaker 2: You still a little slip ups that I was saying, maybe we could have figured.
Speaker 1: Out how to do that. But she could have been a better girlfriend too, I gotta be honest. But we'll get into all this. You know, us.
Speaker 2: Women were trying to figure out the balance between being strong and still able to love and not letting somebody else make our choices. All that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: All that stuff fine, but you don't break up with the guy in the last Day without anyway. We'll get it any Okay, So this movie is a real who's who of of incredible young Disney actors. It stars Ross Lynch, who plays Brady who's the modern day surfrat, and x Well becomes ex boyfriend unbeknownst to him of Mac who when he goes to save her in the ocean nice guy She's going to drown also gets transported to the sixties. Ross is an actor and singer, best known as Austin from the show Austin and Alley and Harvey Kinkel on Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. But this was his first ever movie. I think he's also a musician. He was in a band and he was a really family yeah, part of the Disney Machine. Maya Mitchell is Mac, the lead character. She's a surfer forced into an East Coast prep school from Hawaii again very Johnny Tsunami, then sent into a surfing movie when she tries to catch one last big big wave. Then sent into a surfing movie when she tries to catch one last big wave. Maya is also known as Calli on The Fosters and Good Trouble. John De Luca plays Butchie, the head tough biker guy. John has been seen on General Hospital, Ugly Betty, and Wizards of Waverley Place. Again, Disney likes to It's one thing about when you're working for Disney, they really like to do put you in a bunch of stuff. Chrissy Fit plays Chi Chi, a very grease inspired biker girl. Chrissy is best known as Flow in pitch Perfect two and three. I'm not even going to talk to you about pitch Perfect other than the third one. They're the two of the best movies ever made. That's just end of discussion movies that makes sense for anyone. So yeah, pitch Perfect two and three obviously makes perfect sense that she's in teen Beach movie. She's great and pitch Perfect. By the way, the first one is up there with the Godfather. Jordan Fisher plays Seacat, one of the surfer Bros. And he's been in a just ton of Disney shows from I Carly to Thunderman's To Live and Maddie and has since focus on singing and voice work, heard mostly in the movie Turning Red as Robert, a member of Fourth Town. And Yeah. One more actor worth noting is Barry Bostwick, who plays Big Papa. Barry is a musical legend, and he was Brad Major's in the cult classic Rocky Horror Picture Show, and they're doing kind of a nice nod to the old school musicals. There's a musical that I love and watch all the time, Rocky Horror Picture Show, which again is a great nod to the singing and dancing scene in this movie. It runs ninety five minutes, which if we were to ask the bulls Eye directly, would say that's five minutes too long, and is directed by there were so close. We're so close. Someday we're going to be like, it's ninety minutes, It's perfect, and no one sings. This movie is the best.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: It's directed by Jeffrey Hornaday. Jeffrey is a choreographer turned director at which we've seen a few times already in d COM's, most notably with Your Friend Kenny Ortega. His resume for choreography is just nuts. He did nineteen eighty three's Flash Dance Awesome movie, one of the first movies I went to in the theater that my parents had their hands over my eyes the entire time because I was probably too young to be in the theater, but they had two older kids. Streets of Fire, which is one of the best ever movies. Diane Lane changed my whole life as a kid. Don't even get Me started a chorus line Captain.
Speaker 2: Whee pause bas bas a chorus line which Ross Lynch and I later do together at Hollywood Bowl just a few.
Speaker 1: Wait you did you did Courus light who Corus?
Speaker 2: Right next to each other? I played Val and we were right next to each other. That's where That's how I know Ross. So I was loving I I can do that, I can do That?
Speaker 1: Was that his whole thing?
Speaker 2: Oh? Okay, now, but they it was we were. It was so awesome to see that in the notes because that felt a little bit full circle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bringing it home. That's cool.
Speaker 2: Michael choreograph, he you know, he was a part of that, which his now you know, person he worked with.
Speaker 1: Brings him back, which is cool. Captain EO Hugh Michael Jackson thing at Disneyland, Dick Tracy and Carlito's Way which I didn't even think there was dancing and Carlito's Way. I have to watch it again. Worth mentioning. Jeffrey actually dated actress Leslie and Warren and some singer in the nineties who just went by Madonna. I know, she apparently didn't go anywhere. It was written by Vince Marcello, Mark Landry and Robert Horn. Horne was a playwright turned screenwriter who first received acclaim for his Tony Award winning musical adaptation of Tutsie, and then worked heavily with Disney, most notably on their theatrical movie Hercules, as well as d COM's like the Sweet Life movie The Sharpay's Fact Beeless Adventure. Also, if you didn't catch the card at the beginning this movie, We're bringing it all back to these musicals was dedicated to actress in Net Funicello, the most beloved beach movie star of the sixties who passed away in twenty thirteen. So much of this movie was inspired by her and the movie she started. And if you don't know who a Net Funicello is, please go google her, go look at everything she did. The only reason movies like this exist is because of people like a Net Funicello. And let's never forget the work they did. Because she was an original mousketeer and absolutely incredible.
Speaker 2: I mean, and for years and years just owned the screens. Yeah, so many talk.
Speaker 1: About one of the original teen pop stars. I mean she.
Speaker 2: Exactly she was it. It was it, and I felt like I saw her throughout this entire movie, right, I loved it.
Speaker 1: So then you knew who she was before this movie, Oh for sure.
Speaker 2: I mean she would have been so proud of watching this movie and bringing that bringing that vibe as us you know people nowadays would say, but that that love of dancing, that fun, the beach everything.
Speaker 3: She would have been so proud.
Speaker 1: I think so too. It really did capture that sixties nostalgia. It modernized it again, didn't didn't hate this movie. Also, this movie does have a sequel, twenty fifteen's it's a great title too, teen Beach two, which I assume we will get to at some point. Maybe that's maybe that's teen Beach too. This time it's personal. Maybe it could be that one.
Speaker 2: At some point it's going to be personal.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now we're going with Sabrina is a professional at this and way better than I could ever notice any of this kind of stuff. The dancing in this movie, was this good dancing? Was this bad dancing? Was this mediocre dancing?
Speaker 2: This was blown away. Amazing performances from the choreographer to the videographer that did the up gazing shots, the visuals. So when you look at routines, of course it's how you see the movement. They what the hardest thing is to do is add a prop and make the prop makes sense, the surfboards, the beach towels, and it at first for me as a choirraphy, oh gosh, here we go. And as they did it it was seamless. It was amazing, the beach boards that didn't just go from the front, but then all of a sudden you're seeing the above angle and these beautiful visuals. Everything that they're doing I did on the scene.
Speaker 1: There's like one ball down one.
Speaker 2: But imagine how hard that is. That's why it's so hard, so hard to do props within choreography and tying with music. It's all very, very tough.
Speaker 1: The other thing, can you tell me this, because I was thinking about I was actually gonna text you or call you, but I figured I was like, no, no, we'll talk about it on the on the pod. It seems like it would be easier on your feet, but way harder to dance in sand.
Speaker 2: Oh. Sand is tough. Have you ever tried to run in sand?
Speaker 1: I don't run and less chased, so it's actually not run all the time. And yes, it's really different.
Speaker 2: Have you gone to the beach and parking at the parking zone and getting to the water. How hard is that?
Speaker 1: It's hard?
Speaker 2: It's exhausting. So yes, dancing on the beach is so tough, That's what I thought. So and how many times? Again, we're not talking about a live action shoot. You're talking about one angle, then another angle, than another. I mean, these dancers work their butts off on this.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why there. Every one of them had a nine pack. It was like the unbelievable singles.
Speaker 2: I loved it. There were obviously a few numbers that I could have done without. Ye, they started to get a little exhausting, really, but the big ones, oh yeah, okay, blown away.
Speaker 1: I thought it was good too, but I didn't. I didn't know it was like that I could like this and this could be terrible. I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Well, hopefully we'll definitely get to the ones that I'm like, uh will checked out.
Speaker 1: It's no wet side story, I'll tell you that. Oh man, Okay, So we can't talk about this movie without getting into the music and the soundtrack. The Disney Records released featured ten songs, banning the sounds of surf, rock, motown, r and B, rockabilly and pop. It sold over five hundred thousand copies, crowning at a gold album, and it peaked at number three on the Billboard two hundred chart. It features all the songs from the movie sung by its stars except for one. John de Luca aka Butchi is not heard on any of the songs. His songs were dubbed by Jason Evigan, a songwriter producer best known now for his work with Jason Derulo, Pitbull, and Maroon five. I personally like the first four Maroons, but I'm alone in that and like Zac Effron in High School Musical. They ended up finally letting John sing in the sequel, so we get to hear his voice down the down the line, and he can actually sing apparently, So it's you. I want to know why you can't do that. But we'll get into that with him, because I'm so happy to tell you that we were actually speaking to him on our Park Copper episode and we are going to get a chance to get some of the inside stuff. Uh. Favorite song of the movie go Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: I loved the first one. The first one was the big group dance they.
Speaker 1: First end up on the beach. Yes, okay, and.
Speaker 2: I died laughing. I don't even know what the name of the title of the song where it goes back and forth of the slumber party and the book and it's girls like guys like me, yes side.
Speaker 1: Probably like me. It's probably called or something along those lines.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yeah, died the whole time. It was just too funny. But the song where Ross gets in, I mean, I just.
Speaker 1: Wait which one it's called me?
Speaker 2: That song it is called it the one where Ross Lynch comes in, where he finally gets the chance to get into his musicals that he's loved forever.
Speaker 1: So the first time where he's in the in the surf Guys, or the first time he gets to join the Rats, because he gets to do both in the.
Speaker 2: Beginning that when he's joining the Rats.
Speaker 1: Okay, where he's like, I've always wanted to be in that number, because man, my friends and I would go hang out, we'd be like, wouldn't you love to be in that number? No, never once said any of that, but yes, he loves it.
Speaker 2: I it was long. It was a long one. I didn't care. I wanted to go on longer. I felt very much like I was watching Greece for the first time and feeling it definitely does and I was so stoked that the next generation gets to feel that vibe that I got from first Summer Latch screase.
Speaker 1: Well, you talked about the first musical number. Let's get back a little bit farther. So we kicked a movie off with the opening credits over some in action surf shots and a not very good pop song that's playing at the time. It's actually like if Rebecca Black's Friday was much much worse. One of the lyrics is I want to be the ocean to your shore. All right, Anyway, it was. It was a totally different movie in shaving Ryan's Private. Then there's the surfing in the movie, so there's some decent surfing on some decent sized waves. Again, they don't Johnny Sunam like, you can tell it's not them one hundred percent. You can tell it's not them. That doesn't look very good. But they were in the water a lot, and reportedly production had three jet skis in the ocean at all times in case of any emergency. With her cast and Maya Mitchell did end up actually getting hurt. She had a cut that landed her in the hospital for two days. Do you do a lot of sports and moving around? Did you ever have a bad injury?
Speaker 2: I have been lucky enough to stay away from injury.
Speaker 1: Knock wood knock. I know.
Speaker 2: Let me do that right now. Her getting an injury, I would love to know.
Speaker 1: From what, yeah, and where and what kind of.
Speaker 2: Cut because she didn't do a lot of surfing up No, I guess it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah she was.
Speaker 2: If I did, I've got enough Sabrina Seas to jump into it. There were probably two of the worst green screens surf shots I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Well, the ones in the sixties and when they're in wett whatever. I can't say wet this many times. I just can't say wet this many times. It's now starting to freak me out. But when they're there, yes, and they're fans.
Speaker 2: That I understood. But then we came back at the end of the movie and I'm like, okay.
Speaker 1: No, no, the surf was not great.
Speaker 2: There's an other part where we something happened. I feel like there was a reshoot that not all of the people were on set that were on set originally, okay, because there were a lot of mistakes that happened where.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well the stuff we liked about brink where it was you could tell they did a lot of the skating. Yeah, they did not have that.
Speaker 2: It was not there. But that's okay. Surfing's hard. Everyone can like, you can't expect every actor to surf. That's that's okay. It's just and I think the way they did in the beginning was fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just can't tell. It's not that I think, Yeah, we can officially make surfing another New Disney trope. Though this is like the fourteenth Surfing movie.
Speaker 2: It's notice the second there's lots of surfing.
Speaker 1: I feel like there's lots of surfing. Well you say too, Well, it's probably somewhere in the middle. So we meet mc and Brady, very cute high school couple who surf together. They're really looking forward to the massive storm and waves coming tomorrow. They're having a wonderful day in the beach where they're totally in love the entire time, knowing she's going to destroy him. And she won't say anything about it the whole summer. What the hell, girl.
Speaker 2: I know it was a dream date. What happened?
Speaker 3: How could you as it?
Speaker 2: Think about yourself as a fourteen year old fifteen year old girl? This guy is so nice, he has it seems like he's thought out the whole day, and she has this in the back of her mind.
Speaker 1: She's got to know all summer. By the way that the lady says later, this has always been part of the plan. This girl'ss known this forever. She's dated this guy forever, knowing she's gonna rob his house later. It's like, why come on say something? She's like, and they try to stay it up by having her constantly saying like, I need to talk to you about something. I need to talk to you about something. Oh but why on our last day.
Speaker 2: Dude, not just on the last day. Why haven't you been doing this all summer?
Speaker 1: You'd think, Hey, can't come by the way.
Speaker 2: We only have two more months together. Hey, by the way, he's got four more weeks together.
Speaker 1: I mean, come on, yeah, what rhymes with I'm moving back east so they can sing a song about it. I mean, seriously, they weren't there yet, so that's true. We also meet Big Papa, who's Max Grandpa, who, along with Brady, is a huge fan of the nineteen sixty two retrosurf movie I can't say the can west Side Story. It's about a surfer guy and a biker girl who have a secret love affair even though their respective gangs are fighting over control of an island diner that seems to serve no food. At the same time, a real estate mogul wants the diner's land and is building a weather machine, but that blows up and causes a huge storm. It's very west Side Story that they're going for, which is again why they call it what they do. I can't say it again, but again I was a huge West Side Story fan, and so I was. I was, okay, I like that they're kind of going with that sixties right, But did.
Speaker 2: You I obviously love West Side Story. I felt more grease.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, they're trying to take it's the two different idea, absolutely correct, but with what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the things they do within the movie to me felt more grease than it did west.
Speaker 1: Side I agree. I do not disagree with you, because it wasn't like there was rich and poor. It wasn't a class difference, just hobbies. As far as I can.
Speaker 2: Tell you reference of what you like to do.
Speaker 1: You like to ride a motorcycle, you like to surft exactly.
Speaker 3: So I felt more grease, which let's have a little bit.
Speaker 2: Of that anyway.
Speaker 1: So this is where we learned that Mac, much like me, does not like musicals and doesn't understand why people just break into song out of nowhere. And she's like, come on, I can't stand it. Love that. The second she said it, I was like, oh, this is she and I would be friends. So that is awesome.
Speaker 2: You like replaced Sabrina with Mac on the podcast.
Speaker 1: Please, I know no never never is she available? No, I'm kidding. I could never with anybody but you, Sabrina. You know that because you are also a huge fan of musicals, you'd like musicals and that's I need. We need the pro musical side, that's what we need. So we finally learned about what the secret issues hiding her aunt Antoinette, who I recognized once again from another Seinfeld episode. There are a lot of Seinfeld people that show up shows up and is taking her to an East Coast private school tomorrow. So it's not even like, hey, I'm hanging for a week and then we're gonna leave. It's like I just got here and we're leaving tomorrow. Something she impact right, because we're geting our flights in a half an hour. She thinks that we learned well, of course, we learned that max mom has passed away, and she thinks that this is something that Max's mom wants, and Max also thinks this is something that her deceased mom would want, which is kind of the impetus for her to not stand up for herself and leave because she doesn't want to disappoint the memory of her mother. It's a weird idea, but anyway. She's also leaving high school halfway through, which seems kind of disruptive. She's not in eighth grade obviously, so she's got to be in high school. But this also means she's leaving Hawaii surfing and Brady in the dust. Mac is very sad, but it was her idea and she thinks it's good for her future and what her mom would have wanted. So Brady's bummed. Mac then breaks up with them because they don't want to do long distance relationships, but she does put up no fight whatsoever and just walks away. Very strange for me that she was just like we had the best day. I know, I should have told you this for the last four years or however long we've been dating. But I'm leaving tomorrow. It's harsh, Nae, I'm.
Speaker 2: Back when I felt like I had pulled myself out of the gutter of terrible girlfriends. Here we freaking are.
Speaker 1: It was. I just felt bad to tell him.
Speaker 2: Everything she did. I felt she did incorrectly. I was just judging every moment, which I'm trying to enjoy myself with my popcorn and have a good time, and she's irritating the hell out of me. What how you got this little adorable ross just Lynch right in front of you, and he loves you.
Speaker 3: This kid loves everything about you.
Speaker 2: It's okay. If you don't love him like that, we gotta be kind.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And if you don't think the long distance relationship is going to work, not at that age, but you give it a try for a week, try.
Speaker 2: For a second, She's like newp Ye, Nope, Nope, not gonna happen. Absolutely back out later. Yes, so harsh.
Speaker 1: I agree, it was I thought that part of her character should have been. It didn't make me, it made me not like her kind of a little bit right there.
Speaker 2: Felt like she should have had a little bit of conflict within herself about it. Yes, there could have been a scene of what do I do, What do I do? It's just not gonna work, something like that.
Speaker 1: But before she leaves, she wants one more surf session, especially with this giant storm that's coming in.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: They talk about how it's her a surfboard from her family, that everybody who's ridden this, it's a magical circuit gets magically finds their faith.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it magically appears in front of her door. When she does.
Speaker 1: It is magic. It is like million year but different, even sad and single. Brady shows up to watch her, and she ends up wiping out and and then disappears. But then magically after he gets on the jet ski to go and save her, the.
Speaker 2: Jet ski that just happens to be there.
Speaker 1: Well, they I think, because the the I think what they do is surf.
Speaker 2: Competition in big No random person can.
Speaker 1: He's essentially just stealing somebody's jet skis.
Speaker 2: But there's no one around it.
Speaker 1: I know, and no one's trying to help her either or say, hey man, that's not your jet ski. Get to that season. So now she's in calm waters. They both are. It's a different scene and there's Brady. Now. All of a sudden, they wash up on shore essentially, and they see a girl twirling in the thing. They look over the the the beach burm, and oh my god. They're in the movie from the sixties and we are in dance number one. Swim trunks, modest swimsuits, beach balls, flying, hulup spinning, and a song about good vibrations. You know, you get the movie. You get what it is right away, you know what's going on. And they're, I mean, good, good way to bring us into the sixties movie.
Speaker 2: Especially, think about the audience at that time. How much of the sixties they know? Right?
Speaker 3: Where does it start? Where does it end?
Speaker 2: Maybe the movie Grease, maybe that some that's not even the sixties, right, that was the fifties, right, They don't know anything. This on the beach.
Speaker 1: Boom, I yeah, it was great and they so they're obviously kind of confused, but they figure out what it is. He jumps into the dance number because you know, I got him in my movie.
Speaker 2: Shod I have been waiting for this.
Speaker 1: For exactly boom. So this is you know, these big video kind of set up, these big dance numbers. It's all really cool. Then we get into we get so we establish him with the surfers, and then we get into Big Mama's kitchen, where again very little if any food is actually served. We don't actually big Mama's barely in the movie. They occasionally will cut to her for like just a POV shot or or maybe one line, but Big Mama is not really important. Yeah, that's when the door swing open and we meet Butchi Lugnut Chee Chee struts and Layla. The Biker is also known as the Rodents. Brady inserts himself into dance number two uh, because he is always wanted to be a part of the biker thing that, you know, the biker dance number that he's seen so many times. He's got a leather jacket that fits him perfectly, glasses that fit him perfectly. He's also now the lead of the dance, so they just let him in, which is kind of cool. But he is in sixties heaven with this so much so that they all go to a surfers party that night, but the biker's crack. It's we are. It's so strange because we they, the bikers, surfers hate each other, and yet they're always together dancing.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: There, there's there's no line in the No. No, there is no line in the sand.
Speaker 1: I like it. No line in the sand.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 1: They kind of.
Speaker 2: Mesh yes constantly for people there's in each other, yes, and there's no issue about it. That's because this storyline takes so long to build in this movie of where we're going and where the real conflict's going to actually be.
Speaker 1: We got another half hour before we even come close to any sort of conflict.
Speaker 2: The first time I watched it, I paused it and went, oh my god, I've got like fifty more minutes.
Speaker 1: La. We haven't even met the villains yet. There's actual villains in the I.
Speaker 2: Thought that Ants was the villain. The villain that I thought was gonna be one has now left. She's no longer.
Speaker 1: Gone, Like nope, Yeah, totally different. So the original movie, it's supposed to be they back to the future. It it's supposed to be that the lead surfer guy catches the lead biker earl as she falls off the stage. Of course, through a series of events another way where Mac is just unpleasant because for some reason she just refuses to dance with her ex boyfriend. He's like, well, let's at least dance. She's like, no, goes, come on. She's like, no, she just won't dance with the guy.
Speaker 3: She's trying not to lead him on.
Speaker 1: Oh come on, they're stuck in the sixties. You can dance that she's trying.
Speaker 2: To just he keeps giving her these googly eyes and she's like, bro, I told you.
Speaker 1: She doesn't say that, she just doesn't want to dance, and then she's googly. She needed to rewrite, and so through a series of events, Brady ends up catching her coming off the stage. She then falls for Brady, and of course Mac or the Tanner ends up with Mac, and now they have they back to the futured date where oh no, the car hit Michael J. Fox instead of hitting his dad. And now, oh geez, so they find out that they're actually changing the movie. So what are we supposed to do? We're changing the movie. So now they're lost because it's like, I don't know where to go from here. You know what, happens. What do you think of that? Did you like the twist in them? I'm in the twist?
Speaker 2: I did. I did. I saw where it was going. I saw how easily we could like make it right quote unquote to keep the movie going. But at the same time, the whole time, I'm sitting here being super irritated with Mac. What's wrong with you? You know, he's so sweet and everyone's gonna love him. You're missing your chance? Girl? Who cares about anything? In the sense of, here's the thing, I had conflict. She's trying to better her education.
Speaker 1: She's hard to think so yeah, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's hard to be too upset with her. But again, like you said, a rewrite in the sense of, she doesn't handle it right. She was just outmost just like grew to him, instead of there being this conflict, which I think would have made her a little bit more endeary.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree, and I didn't dislike her. It just could have been a little better, just a just a tweak.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then I loved that, you know, the steppin the one that is the gorgeous girl. She looks so much like I just watched Elvis and.
Speaker 1: Oh, Priscilla Presley.
Speaker 2: She looked like a little beautiful looks so adorable. Oh just in general though, like she looked impressed school, just gorgeous. I thought the set, the costuming, the hair, the makeup, everything was so spot on and so adorable.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I didn't care about things because they all.
Speaker 1: Just they all just looked great. Well, that's the thing. It was certainly a very attractive cast.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: But luckily Brady knows this movie backwards and forwards, so he knows there's a real estate moment. So okay, that's right. We were like. This is when I was like, oh, that's right. There was a villain. Now there's a real estate mogul who's building a weather machine that will cause a storm, and that has to happen because the storm he thinks will get them home. So as long as that's on track, they're all good. So they race to the lighthouse. Now this gets a little messy here, so try to follow me. Ye Less Canon Bear that was his name, and doctor Fusion with the evil plan regarding a weather machine. Now step into the movie where the weather machine is going to It's weird. It's weird, but I.
Speaker 2: Don't know what the weather Machine's eventual situation was going to do with what goal follow the beach.
Speaker 1: He wanted a humid for some reason, and if you're able to just make things humid, do you need a machine for that?
Speaker 2: When he's a real estate mogul of some sort that was going to he wanted bigger onto the beach. I don't know. It did not make it, kept going through it, and I kept thinking, if I listen a little bit more closely, Nope.
Speaker 1: The second time it was you might recognize Kevin Chamberlain as doctor Fusion. He played Bertram on the show Jesse. But the plan they find out is still on, but the bikers and surfers need to come together at the end of the movie because they've got to now save their two new friends to get home again. Gets a little weird, but Brady knows that they also have to get their love interest their new love interest together with each other as opposed to with themselves, So he says there's a pajama party that night, so she needs to get invited to the pajama party, and he needs to go hang out with the surfers. So he does that, and we get another big dance number where it's cutting back and forth the one you really liked, the like Me, where it's cutting back and forth between the pajama party and the surfers hanging out at at Big Mama's house.
Speaker 2: Wow, was a very.
Speaker 1: Grease moment. Tell me, that's well, that's what they It seems like that's literally what they should have said. It was almost was kind of like a ripoff of what that was. Even after that, though, nothing's still working. The characters are the movie characters are falling even more in love with our protagonist who used to be together five hours before this was happening. There's also a very this was the green screen shot you were talking about, the very funny one of Mac and Tanner surfing together, and it just as a straight up gidget.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm surfing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's how it's supposed to look. Though they did that, they did that one on purpose.
Speaker 2: At first, I didn't understand. Then I realized, yeah, that was okay. It was the one after that.
Speaker 1: I yeah. So after another twenty five to thirty dance numbers, we get back to the storyline about the bad guys, and so all of a sudden, it's like, oh, that's right, there's this weather Machine. And so just as Tanner and Leila are starting to soften on the idea of their rival gangs, like, hey, maybe we are kind of falling for each other, the weather Machine just starts working and needs to be stopped because now Mac and Brady have been captured by the bad guys.
Speaker 2: Right right, How did the bad guys know that they were even in knowledge of what they were doing. They just show up on the beach. Yeah, they just show up on the beach. Well, I know, and capture them. Why are they even looking for them? How do they know where they are?
Speaker 1: I know? They weren't even in the middle of a big dance number, which they.
Speaker 2: Weren't even dancing and singing to being loud. They were quiet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then the bad guys capture them. So the weather Machine starts working, and we've cut to the unruly guy. That cut to the bad guys, and we know that Okay, that's right, there are bad guys in this movie. Then we get to the best part of the movie by far in my opinion, which is almost worth everything else going to this point, which is that Brady and Mack have met up. They're trying to get their now significant others to fall in love with each other, and they realize they're slowly morphing into the movie characters themselves. She falls off a rock, her hair doesn't get wet. She now starts talking, but starts singing as she's talking, and she's like, no, what that what's stop? And then there's a great my favorite song of the movie, make it Stop.
Speaker 2: Yes, this had.
Speaker 3: You, you all over it you.
Speaker 2: It was such a phenomenal chob in this musical.
Speaker 1: It was great. It was because it's like, please make it stop? Am I just a prop? Why am I singing? Yeah? What the hell's going on?
Speaker 2: The motions were just like pointing.
Speaker 1: It was like pointing and the dent they're like all dancing, like what's like, what's going on? Like Beetlejuice when he's making everybody dance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so good.
Speaker 1: It was very funny.
Speaker 2: It was a good number. It really was, because that was.
Speaker 1: My favorite one of the movie. It really was.
Speaker 2: Again, it's their whole it's going back to this movie huking fun and obviously saying we are not trying to be serious here right when it comes.
Speaker 1: To joy, We're having a bad We're having a fun time. We know we're having a fun time, yes, but the plan works. The surfer guy and the biker girl finally fall for each other, which obviously calls for another musical. I'm starting to get a little little shocky here when it comes to musicals, but at least I'm no longer saying wet. They also had all of a sudden exactly what we were talking about earlier on the beach, and for no reason, the bad guys show up and kidnap Brady.
Speaker 2: And mess out of nowhere. How did they know they were there? Right?
Speaker 1: We don't know why, but they know they were up to something somehow. That Big Mamas was going to be uh in jeopardy. Yeah, their plan was going to be in jeopardy and they weren't gonna be able to take over Big Mamas. So they tie them up to the weather machine and again, supposed to be sixties funny, kind of ridiculous.
Speaker 2: So yes, okay, that's what I'm saying, Like this movie was easy to go. Okay, just roll your eyes, good time.
Speaker 1: So luckily the new love birds are finally able to bring together their respective gangs there, you know, Tanner goes to one gang, Leela goes to another gang and hey, they're they're gangs. Hey we should work together, which as they do, and then the blessing comes for Butchy Leila's brother, who actually starts to cry that they're in love and they're going to go and save Brady and Mac.
Speaker 2: Do they know Brady and Mac are in desperate.
Speaker 1: Need of saving because he found the thing on the ground that the hair piece he'd given her.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that obviously give that to you that there's something wrong.
Speaker 3: But the fact that they know where they're at, what is happening.
Speaker 1: If you ever find out, well, this is what this is. This was a bridge too far for Sabrina, Like, nope, I'm out. I don't get this. I'm out.
Speaker 2: I was trying to be a good participant in the movie.
Speaker 1: Okay, I love all this is it. This was a weather machine too far for Sabrina. Now, while they were tied up, mcin Tanner of course, falls back in love just in time for the gangs while singing Here's the other thing I love about musicals. They're just people will turn to each other and just start singing into each other's mouths. You're an inch, You're an inch away for me. Back up, you're singing way too close to my face.
Speaker 2: Agree, way too close, very valued.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Don't just hit these high notes right into my mouth.
Speaker 2: Could always hit the high notes.
Speaker 1: You're like, Tanner's fine, he can hit whatever note he needs.
Speaker 2: Well, it seems that that's the the world Tanner lives in.
Speaker 1: I love. I was just like, yeah, but I'm pretty it was great. They stormed the lighthouse, they destroy the weather machine, they save the hangout, the bad guys blow up through the ceiling. I was like, did they just kill them? But no, they make sure that they show that they did not die die Disney. They then have to say goodbye to everybody. No, please stay, We're not going to stay. We're leaving. They leave the big storm and a great another surfing shot of the two of them together on the best fake wave ever. They then wind up right back where they started. No time had passed. He also doesn't have the jet ski anymore, so he's gonna owe some people some money. I don't know if you notice that there was no jet ski I did.
Speaker 3: I have a lot of issues with the end of those scenes.
Speaker 2: Like so many things, continuity was fired at some point and not brought back on it.
Speaker 1: Was not not the greatest continuitywise Mac. Then they get back on the beach after she catches another wave which is clearly her surfing. Actually it's not her serve, it's another kind of bad green screen. But she sends stands up to her aunt. So she wants to stay in Hawaii, she wants to make her own choices. She wants to make out with with Brady Moore. And uh, then there's of course a giant dance number, because we couldn't we couldn't just stop at sixty.
Speaker 2: Not just a dance number. They have expanded the dance number. It's huge, double the amount of dancers on the beach and extras behind them.
Speaker 1: But did you notice that only like the first three or four rows are doing the dance. The rest are just kind of throwing their hands up.
Speaker 2: They added more dancers, new dancers they did, like b boy break dancers that could do.
Speaker 1: A little bit.
Speaker 2: Yes, then they added extras onto the back to just kind.
Speaker 1: Of I want to be that guy. I want to be this guy.
Speaker 2: You could totally totally who do I call?
Speaker 1: Is there this guy number that I call?
Speaker 2: Because I want to be any going extra agent and dance And then you'll say.
Speaker 1: Yes, then you'll lie, and then they'll do that. That's what I want to do. I want to be in teen Beach three. Look at the guy dancing behind. That's what it's called, and that's me.
Speaker 2: Hey, if there's a team Beach three.
Speaker 1: You got your girl? Yes, you and I will go fake dance behind. You'll have to make me look good because you actually know what you're doing. But yeah, they obviously don't want to pay to have everybody learn the dance choreography, so only the first three or four rows know it. They do a big, big dance thing where you're ready freddy and all that kind of stuff. But you think that's going to be end of the movie, but it's not. Disney does something they'd never done before. We get our first ever blooper reel and then a post credit scene. Very cool, Here for me too, Here too for absolutely me too.
Speaker 2: Actually wish cast like this just a bunch of different dynamics. Yep, you know there were multiple times where you just get in a giggle fest or something, especially because these characters were so outrageous and so many of the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know that they were.
Speaker 2: Going big and then making people or making people laugh or whatever.
Speaker 1: And they genuinely look like they were having.
Speaker 2: Fun the best. I think Cooper Reels really give the fans an insight of we had the best time making.
Speaker 1: I agree one hundred percent. I love that they put it on there.
Speaker 3: And then the bonus like little button scene.
Speaker 1: Yes, is the sixties people coming out of the water and meeting a modern day punk guy who's like, you guys look like.
Speaker 2: A modern day because there's no one. I mean not no one, but that was not.
Speaker 1: A very few.
Speaker 2: There's not a big hairstyle.
Speaker 1: He's got a full punk rocker mohawk. And he asked, if you want to use my phone? And he turns it around and there's a picture of Justin Bieber. The only analogy I could come up with for a punk guy having a picture of Justin Bieber on his phone would be a punk guy having a picture of Justin Ber on his phone. Like there was no other analogy that We're like, well, what.
Speaker 2: Why, why?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Soon, how does that make sense? Nothing?
Speaker 1: It was really weird. Why would that ever ever happen?
Speaker 2: But anyway the answer is it wouldn't.
Speaker 1: They're scared but intrigued by the phone and boom we know there is a sequel coming teen Beach to Justin Bieber's Mohawk. I can't wait. I'm gonna be very excited.
Speaker 2: Oop you jo think Justin Bieber is gonna be a part of the next one. I'm gonna tell you right now. I would never do that to anybody. I don't even think Beebes is gonna make a debut Justin.
Speaker 1: Justin Bieber is awesome. There's your movie, ready, Freddy, Yes, let's rate because we got well first of all, let's do. Let's I forget. I'm so excited to rate this movie, so I want to see what you're gonna say. Let's do our real reviews. Take the five star review this time, Sabrina.
Speaker 2: I would love to because then give it a five star. This is a five star review by Maya B. This movie is so good and iconic. It's the only movie I like more than Shine That's great too, from Disney. I love this movie because it's cute and the songs are catchy, like the Fly, a cheesy joke for the cheese factor.
Speaker 1: Maya, I will do the one star review. This is by Isaac the Fourth. If I'm loud, it's because it's in all caps. So if I have all caps, it's loud. This is trash. I could give it zero stars, complete cringe. If you're considering watching it. Don't only for neobs and poopies, nubes and poopies people. I'd rather say wet than say that again. And now we are going to do another fun feature. You know, we love to play games on our magical rewind podcast here because we're fun people. Or we're not. It's not up to us, it's up to you. But our feature this week is called hang four. So we're going to get four terms associated with surfing according to wavetribe dot com. Now we have to guess what they stand for from a list of multiple choice options. So to explain the game's name a little more, there will also be four options. Again, Sabrina and I don't know any of this whatsoever. We have no idea. We are not given the answer. Do here we go, guys. So number one, the number one term we have associated with surfing is clucked. Now, Sabrina is clucked one the act of jumping in front of another surfer and stealing their wave. Two being afraid of waves. Three when you break your surfboard in half. On a wave, or four eating fried chicken while surfing.
Speaker 2: Left. I'm gonna go with one.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go with one too. I feel like that happens enough, and I feel like they would have a term for it. Yeah, all right, I'm going to go.
Speaker 5: With what it's being afraid of waves?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, So if you're so, then are you clucked or is it like man that kid's clucked?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, Wow, we're oh for one. Number two? What are men in gray suits? Are those A casual business men's surfers who only catch waves on weekends? B sharks see loose barticles that can injure surfers, or D a bad Chinese bootleg of men in black And I'd like to point out that everyone. I'm going to change between one and and and A. Notice I did a B and C that time. Men in gray suits. I'm gonna say that sharks, but it could also be cast asual business.
Speaker 3: Answer for number one, I think it's casual businessman.
Speaker 5: Sabrina is wrong, which is awesome.
Speaker 2: It's sharks, Jensen, I have never done anything to you. Is it that I were off.
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 1: Sharks? Mend and gray suits? Number three, I love that our producer really enjoys when you get them wrong. He loves you, He just loves it. Number three pig dog. Is that one a surfer grabbing onto the rails while inside a barrel? To a lifeguard who is too nervous to let surfers get on big waves? Three the world's most famous surfing golden retriever are four, a name once accidentally said by an announcer during the Surfing Championships on ESPN two when he was trying to compliment someone as a big dog.
Speaker 2: I'm going with four.
Speaker 1: It's so intricate that I almost feel like he's trying to go I'm going to say it's a surfer grabbing onto the rails while inside a barrel.
Speaker 5: Jensen, Oh, I'm so happy that she picked that. But it's definitely not that I made that up. It's when they're grabbing the rail, you know, inside.
Speaker 1: Yes, inside a barrel. Yes, I got that. The second one, oh man, I love that. Okay. Now the fourth question is a little bit different. We're going to get one term and we have to guess what it means without any options at all. So, Sabrina, what is to hang? Eleven?
Speaker 3: Jordan's in the room right now. It's so hard to not cheat.
Speaker 1: Do cheat Jordan, he's bigger than me, but he's bigger and younger. Tell him not to cheat.
Speaker 2: I can't hear you. What is to hang eleven means?
Speaker 1: No? No, no, no no.
Speaker 2: I would assume hang eleven means like an eleven eleven foot waves?
Speaker 1: Not okay, hang ten? I think is this? Isn't it?
Speaker 2: What does that mean? Well?
Speaker 1: I don't like. I think it's just I think that I could be wrong. Okay, I actually no, isn't hang ten? When you when you hang your ten toes over the board into the water, isn't that hanging ten? So is hanging? Well?
Speaker 2: What hang eleven means? I don't know. I would think it was over ten foot waves.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go ahead.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm saying it sounds like neither of you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, what is it? Did?
Speaker 5: Does Sabrina get fully shut out this time?
Speaker 1: Is it surfing naked?
Speaker 5: It is surfing naked. It's when you're surfing midwave, pull down your pants and ride the rest naked?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean you win there. I mean you get a point.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, I don't know how I thought of it.
Speaker 2: I mean get a point he thought there was an eleventh toe that went over a bed.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's still kind of.
Speaker 1: Right, honestly, you know, I got it right, I said surfing naked because the eleven is your junk.
Speaker 2: Oh oh see, I'm not a dude. I have no idea what you're talking about. Guys, all right, I have dealt with the wet stuff. I mean I tapped.
Speaker 1: Our Seriously, I did not even know what but I was like, I didn't want to say I didn't want to know what.
Speaker 2: Hang eleven is. Yeah, so hang eleven is the he just said it's the wiener.
Speaker 1: You could tell him that. We instantly just became best friends.
Speaker 2: I have never heard that you go from teen beach to talking about Hang eleven. You guys, this is not supposed to be that kind of too.
Speaker 5: Much happier if she got any of them, right.
Speaker 1: That's the problem.
Speaker 2: Yes, so bitter right now?
Speaker 1: Oh oh that's so funny. Can we do? Can we do sabritases?
Speaker 2: We can? I'm gonna just do probably a few of them because I'm gonna have to harp.
Speaker 1: On a couple of them.
Speaker 2: So truly, I really thought that I knew exactly what I was going in for I had to say I was a little kind of not super stoked about this right, totally dove ragon. Once the first performance on the beach happened, I was so not understanding because again I worked with Ross and the girls were falling all over him like he was this heart throp And I kept going, why was this guy like such a bit a heart throb when his character was, you know, just like this nerdy guy. His moment when he came out as the greaser.
Speaker 3: Boom, got it?
Speaker 2: Okay, Homie can't dance, Homie's got a voice, Homie. And then I'm watching I'm loving he is so good in that that musical performance.
Speaker 3: I just died.
Speaker 1: Did you get a little crush on Ross after watching that?
Speaker 2: No, I just had so much appreciation for him. Very talented because I really didn't again, like I tell you, I I did not know where the start of it. He obviously went on to do so much more, but where the start of it happened on the channel and I just was, oh, my gosh, got it done? There it is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was it?
Speaker 2: Were talented?
Speaker 1: Then a guitar gets put in his hand.
Speaker 2: Was done? I mean it was amazing. I am going to rewind back to something that we talk about quite a bit of terrible parenting in the situation. Why because it comes around to a button. Why was that grandpa not in any way concerned when she may have not died out in that ocean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was like that, you were great.
Speaker 2: He was like his bra was snarled, but he just kind of waited. Meanwhile, Brady's sprinting. He doesn't even sprint with Brady.
Speaker 1: He just kinda watched, I think because Barry Bostwick knows all and he knows that magical surfboard is going to make everything. Okay, I guess so.
Speaker 2: But then it's like it comes back at the end when they nothing has you know, we're right back in Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's still just there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's still not You would think you'd see him with paramedics behind him, ready to get out there his hand something something drove me last little bit that I'm gonna say. I loved this little detail that they put in when they came back from whether this was the dream or whatever it was, from the ocean. I love that they both knew what happened to them. So many times in movies, the main character comes back and remembers her hit her or his story of where and hit the revelation and where they're at and the person that they were along with does does it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I love that it was both of them.
Speaker 2: They both rode that way.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they were hanging eleven.
Speaker 2: They were.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, can't we rate the movie. Let's let's rate the movie, all right.
Speaker 2: They rode the wave together.
Speaker 1: That's that's very sweet. All right. We gotta rate the movie one out of ten. You know, one is the worst, ten is the best. Here are options for today. One out of ten. Janie tsunamis one out of ten, Big Mama Hangouts one out of ten is Shimmying Giggles.
Speaker 2: We didn't even get to.
Speaker 3: Talk about the amount of shimmys that were in there.
Speaker 1: There were a lot of shimmies. One out of ten. Unexplained weather machines one out of ten, green screen surfing scenes one out of ten, blooper reels one out of ten, Nubes and poopies or I'm gonna add one out of ten hanging elevens. Which one would you like to do? Sabrina up to you hate you, but we're gonna do hanging eleven. Yes, I'm so glad you picked that.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give this in seven point nine hanging eleven That.
Speaker 1: Is a very specific amount of hanging elevens. Yes, I you know what, I'm gonna give it a seven and a half. I'm gonna give it a seven and a half. I was it was unexpected for me. I thought I was gonna hate it. I obviously am not a huge fan of musicals. I like how they were, you know, taking taking the kind of irony of the whole thing about the musical, and they were using that for comedy. Big fan of that. Seven and a half solid all the way there. Now we've got very good news everyone, because we're going to go deeper into teen beach movies we've been talking about, which is why I'm talking so fast, because he's waiting for us right now for our park Hopper episode with Butchi himself John de Luca, and the episode is going to drop this week over on our magical rewind feed. I cannot wait to hear all the inside stuff. So let's hear a snippet from that. Now, this movie leans into the fact that it's like, why are we breaking into song? Did you guys? And it was great. I really enjoyed it. I appreciate it. We had a lot of fun doing it.
Speaker 4: I I you could tell the music is like catchy. Yep, you know, it's like catchy and poppy and fun. And I liked I always liked musicals. I never thought I would be in one, especially in movie one, just because I'm not that's not my.
Speaker 2: Thing, but it was. It was so fun. Wait, sorry, hold on, but you have had to have danced at some point. No you had no dance background. No no, no, you stop it right now.
Speaker 1: Thank you everybody so much. It was a ton of fun talking to him. You should really check out the interview. We really learned a whole lot about the movie. Our next movie is nineteen ninety nine's The Thirteenth Year, which is currently available on Disney Plus. If possible, I know even less about this movie than I do about Teen Beach Movie. I didn't even know that was even possible. So remember to subscribe to our feed and you can follow us at the Magical readwind Pod on the Instagram Machine. Thank you again, everybody, And I know Sabrina wants me to end by saying, don't hang eleven. Bye. Everybody.