Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This He's Talking Cowboys Straight Live from the Dallas Cowboys World Course at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 4: Streets, Tinsie, Teddy Patient, touchdown and now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Nick Harris, John Mashoda, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 5: It's an off season.
Speaker 1: Edition of Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas and the s WBC studios. Welcome in, everybody. We've got John Machoda back in the building today. What's up, John, what's going on?
Speaker 5: He'll be back to be back.
Speaker 1: It feels like we're in that loll. We've got Nick Harris and Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeoman's. But it's that loll between the Super Bowl and the combine where there's nothing going on whatsoever. There's no Pro Days yet, there's no free agency yet, there's really nothing. It's the end of the coaching carousel. You get to see some hires. We'll talk about that a little bit later on, but yeah, Nick, whenever you look at the NFL landscape, there's.
Speaker 5: Not anything happening really.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the only thing you can really look at from the calendar is franchise tags are able to be applied starting today going forward for the next two weeks. But it doesn't look like this franchise is going to use one this year. We've talked about it at nauseaum, I believe so far here in the offseason and then during the season as well, it just doesn't make sense to put that tag.
Speaker 7: On anybody right now going into twenty twenty four.
Speaker 6: So I would expect the Cowboys to be quiet in the next couple of weeks from that instance. But I think also you could look for, you know, before free agency. I think there's a couple of things you can still look for for this team. And one it's a potential restructuring of Dak Prescott's con track. I think that's something you you can kind of look at, but that could happen before free agency. You can talk about Ceedee Lamb's contract too. I don't think that necessarily has as much importance of getting done before March eleventh hits, but you know, maybe trying to get a beat on the receiver market before guys like Justin Jefferson and Jamar Chase and those guys get their deals.
Speaker 7: You know, that's certainly something to keep an eye on.
Speaker 6: And I believe Mike Evans as well is going to be up for an extension this year as well, So there's a lot to still kind of keep an eye on and keep your keep your ear out for. You know, I'm kind of keeping my phone faced up just in case for a couple of those reasons. But yeah, most definitely, I think the focus is Combined, which you know, will be in Indianapolis next week. I'll miss next week's show, Sorry, guys, you know Dan, I'm just I'm.
Speaker 8: Not thinking I'm gonna be too Yeah, yeah, come on, come on.
Speaker 7: Down, John.
Speaker 5: I think that means we're all missing next yea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounds about It's gonna be me by myself talking about the combine. Maybe I'll just do like a storyline ask type show where I've.
Speaker 5: Got just phone calls coming in.
Speaker 1: I'll learn from Nick Eatmon and there or and I'll ask him some Maybe that's how we do it.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe the phone calls are you guys, it's you maybe in Indy, John and Indy, and then we can go.
Speaker 6: To Isaacah and Mount Kilimanjarro. He got in yesterday after about eighteen hours of flying. So you see the first seat that he was in so bad.
Speaker 1: I mean he looked like he was doing he was halfway down in a squat, like he had zero leg room.
Speaker 8: Well, eighteen hours, it was about four hours.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well I think he went to Detroit first. So you know that flight. How long is that flight?
Speaker 8: Two three hours?
Speaker 7: Two three Okay, Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 6: He went Dallas, Detroit, Detroit to Amsterdam, than Amsterdam to kill him in Jarrow And it was about eighteen to twenty hours of traveling all in all.
Speaker 7: And yeah, he made it in.
Speaker 5: Yesterday, but he did make it safely.
Speaker 7: Better better man than me, Better man than me.
Speaker 1: What do you think about the franchise tag? Nick talked about it a little bit there initially, but this is an organization that has not been shy from using the franchise tag in the past. Is there any possibility on this roster that would be a franchise tag player?
Speaker 8: No, it would be very surprising. Yeah, I think it's a no brainer not to use it this year. That's why they're not doing it that anytime. I feel like the Cowboys. There's someone in the discussion. I feel like the Cowboys lean on and now we'll give them the tag. I mean, I don't think there's any better example than Tony Pollard last year. But I mean we've seen it past Marcus Lawrence as whatever goes on and on. So yeah, they're not shy about using it. But I mean I look at that sixteen unrestricted free agents. I don't see anybody that is makes any sense to use that. You know, people ask ask me, like, oh, who do they absolutely have to sign? Who they absolutely have to bring back? Like absolutely nobody. I mean, now, there's definitely people that you want to bring back. There's there's some key pieces there that would really help your roster, but there is no in years past where you would have basically all the guys that are right over your shoulder right now, Mike, you know, tray Von Diggs, C d Lamb, Dak you know, there's there's nobody like that that you have to you have to get that done. I mean, I guess if Tony Pollard was coming off like a seventeen hundred yard season or something like that, of course, then that would be somebody that you'd factor in. But but that not being the case. I mean, I just think it's a no brainer that they wouldn't do anything with the tag.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's just nobody on that list that you want to pay market value for right now. I'd be shocked.
Speaker 6: I think Tony Pollard could have been an idea before the season started. Maybe he gets tagged again going in twenty twenty four, but I think with the production that you got from him in twenty twenty three, it doesn't make sense to pay him that value right now.
Speaker 8: I mean, I'm thinking it would have to have been excuse me, not even regular season. Yeah, they would have had to probably make the NFC Championship Game or Super Bowl, and he would have had to be a big part of it.
Speaker 7: Where you're just like, whoa the check.
Speaker 8: Yeah, whoa, they've been saving this thing up for the playoffs. Where did this come from? And he's got like a buck fifty against Green Bay and then and then and then they play San Francisco and he's got like one hundred and seventy five yards or somewhere. You're just like, well, we can't even mess around. This is such a big part of this team. But I've always said that covering this team thirteen years now, I've always going at this time in the off season, I'm like, well, if the season ended different, you can make a case for anybody, because if it gets you finally to that Super Bowl, yeah, get wild, I mean and.
Speaker 5: I mean, I mean, there's they're going to keep everybody around that if you're.
Speaker 8: Balling in the playoffs and you've got this Cowboys team to a super Bowl, I can make arguments for a lot of guys. But like I said, I've been covering team for thirteen years. That hasn't happened. So a lot of these decisions to me are relatively easy.
Speaker 1: Has hasn't happened. They have applied the tag every year since twenty eighteen. It was de Marcus Lawrence back to back years. Then of course everybody remembers Dak Prescott in back to back years twenty twenty and twenty twenty one. Then it was Dalton Schultzen twenty two, Tony Pollard in twenty three. So it'd be the first time since twenty seventeen the Dallas has not applied the tag. I'm with you, guys, I don't think there's a guy on the roster, And yeah, I don't. I just don't think there's anywhere who's the best chance there. Maybe I was thinking maybe a specialists, like like a Trent Sig. Yeah, like something weird like that matter. Trent Sig gets the friend, you get the franchise tag On.
Speaker 5: Brian Anger, I mean, I don't know what his contract situation.
Speaker 7: He's not he's not up to be a free agent.
Speaker 8: I mean, I only I mean, who are the top guy is in there? It's it's Tyron Smith, It's Tony Pollard, It's Stephan Gilmore, it's Beyottish and Laren's Arms Gilmore.
Speaker 6: I don't think you're paying market value for Gilmore, but you look at what he brought to this team last year.
Speaker 7: I'm just trying to look for the best case, like who has the ten percent change?
Speaker 1: Well, remember it isn't it the combination of the top five core player or the average kind of money.
Speaker 6: It would be like Tyron, Tyron Smith and be Oddish year. I don't think you're giving either of those guys.
Speaker 5: Top five money.
Speaker 8: So Steph On Gilmore would be in in in this. In that conversation for me five years ago, team doesn't have darn Bland, Trayvon DIDs is coming off that knee injury. Then I'm like, that's a because I'm I think you need three, Like it's no more to starting corners, you need three starting corners. But so I want Gilmore back, There's no question about that. And it sounds like from everything he said during the Super Bowl week that he wants to be back. So I agree with you. I wanted to bring him back. I just didn't win one to give that franchise tag number.
Speaker 5: Uh do Armstrong?
Speaker 6: No, I don't think you're paying top that to money. Wouldn't be that's that's you're talking. Gosh, is that what Joey Bosa money?
Speaker 8: If it's if it's top five, we see what it would look like for they do something, do something like that. Honestly, my biggest takeaway on that is would be Michael must be playing a lot of linebacker next year. That must be part of their plan because when you have Mike uh and DeMarcus Lawrence, I don't know how you would be trying to spend, like even if you take the tag out of it. Just in free agency with Dorrance, I mean their best two edge rushers and preg So it would be Dorance and Dante Fowler. I honestly would be surprised if one of them, if not both, ends up in Washington with Dan Quinn. I would like to head one of them back, you know, but it would have to be That's what I like when I look at all those I know you've written about it too, Like those all those unrestricted free agents, Like there's really almost nobody on there unless they're willing to come for somewhat of a team friendly deal. There's nobody that you're you're looking at. You're just like, well, you might have to overpay a little bit to keep that guy. It's like, no, I mean, it's gonna suck if you if you lose some of those guys, but you don't. You shouldn't be overpaying for any of them.
Speaker 5: I really think Larrance would be about a twenty million hit.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's not gonna happen, Absolutely not.
Speaker 5: Sorry.
Speaker 6: I think I think the only one that was a home run from the day the season ended is Trent Sig. You got to bring him back, but long snap five point six, five point six for Trent's sake on a franchise tag yep.
Speaker 7: I just I don't think they'll tag him like they don't. They don't necessarily need to.
Speaker 6: And then as time went on, Gilmour makes more sense with what the comment said he made in Super Bowl week. So, I mean, other than those two guys, you look at Gosh, it's it's it's interesting. You look at Tyron Smith, you look at Tyler be Oddish, and you wonder, you know, how does the team gonna approach those two guys? How do they pair that with the draft class that's coming up this year, especially a deep offensive line class in the first round.
Speaker 7: But the thing is, we've talked about this on the Draft Show. Let's say they go in on.
Speaker 6: Tyron Smith and they let Tyler be Ottish walk, So they're banking on getting that center in the first round.
Speaker 7: It doesn't fall to them.
Speaker 6: They all get there's a run before two twenty four and that center gets taken off the board. Then are they rolling with brock Hoffin or TJ. Bassett starting center, which you know they had their moments last year at times, but how comfortable are they with that? And then on the flip side, they pay Beiottish let Tyron Smith walk, So they're hoping to find that tackle to be able to put it left tackle Okay, you follow the twenty four, that guy that you like at twenty four is not there and you kind of have to reach a little bit. So I wonder where they go with that direction. How do they kind of play with that, and is there an option where both come back and they still draft.
Speaker 7: An offensive line in the first round. I think there's a lot of those situations I could play out.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just I'm looking through these numbers too, and some of the tag numbers are just unreal. I mean, Gilmour would be eighteen, Tyler Biottish would be nineteen, along with Tyron Smith that would also be nineteen.
Speaker 7: The center is nineteen.
Speaker 1: Wow, Well, I think it's just offensive line, okay, may I mean that's what it has here. That's unofficial. Don't take my word for it. This is off of a specific website that I don't necessarily think pays money to the Cowboys, So I don't want to necessarily put.
Speaker 5: Their name out there.
Speaker 1: But it's a good website, it's yeah, And so I think there's there's ways that you can build this roster without the franchise tag.
Speaker 5: And by ways, I mean that's probably the only way.
Speaker 8: I mean, it would be honestly think it's kind of been shocking. You just go down the list of forget who's a free agent right now, you just go down the list of this Dallas Cowboys team, and let's say every single person on the roster was a free agent. There's crobaently five or six guys that you put the tag on. Maybe I'm off, but yeah, I mean, you wouldn't You wouldn't let Trayvon Diggs go. You wouldn't let John Bland go, you wouldn't let Micah go. And I think I'm almost done in defense. I was gonna start, oh oh yeah, and then and then on offense, because I don't think you're given twenty million to DeMarcus Lawrence. So so then on offense Cede Lamb, Dak Prescott, Tyler Smith, Tyler Smith or Zach Martin. So I mean, even with that, that's we're at seven.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Brandon Aubrey.
Speaker 8: Brandon Aubrey Canlan. Also, by the way, I usually sit over there, I'm a very distractable player or are you.
Speaker 5: Watching TV over here?
Speaker 8: I mean when you look at that all, it's like very easy to be like, but I keep like looking over them, like there's a lot going on over there.
Speaker 1: I'm very wait till you, like if you sat in on a draft show, which by the way, we've got an open chair, so if you want to stick around, you can't. But they'll put up highlights of these players like film highlights, and all of us being film buffs, we'll.
Speaker 5: Just start watching.
Speaker 1: We'll start watching, like the hands placements and everything. This new studio is phenomenal.
Speaker 5: It's no correcting, it really is.
Speaker 8: But I mean, you guys obviously are in the press box after games, and there's some people and I used to think I was one of these people. I'm not anymore. But that can just work in the main area where everybody's at, and then there's other people that work back by the tables. This is after the game's over. I've become a work back by the tables because I'm so easily distracted by everything that's being talked about after And just imagine after a big winn or a big loss, how like loud. It can get in that press box with people coming back from the locker room talking about different things they heard Jerry said this or whatever. You weren't buy it, So now you're trying to listen in what did he say? Hold on, am I gonna have to write this differently?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 8: So it's like I'm very I don't know, older, I get it more distract while I am.
Speaker 3: But now there's a lot.
Speaker 8: Going on back there, a lot of cakeball parties and yeah, cake ball parties of course.
Speaker 5: We love the cakeballs.
Speaker 8: Yeah, at and Delicious.
Speaker 5: Any other news and notes here, Nick before we take our first.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's about it. You know, you look at this little role in the off season, like you said, you know, this is a this is a time where I think, you know, players are recharging. I know a couple of guys have been still in the facility, Marviy and overshow and I've seen quite a bit still rehabbing and getting going with that John Stevens Junior as well, the undrafted tied end that kind of popped during camps.
Speaker 7: So you know, rehabbing still definitely going on.
Speaker 6: I haven't seen Trayvon Diggs around, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he's not he's not rehabbing, you know, still doing his his work as well.
Speaker 7: So we'll just kind of see as time goes on.
Speaker 6: But yeah, I think the big thing we're looking for coming out of this week could be combined next week and then we start looking forward to free agency.
Speaker 7: That's gonna be a fun week.
Speaker 1: There you go, But we've still got Cowboys fans that have things on their mind. So we are going to take our first break and and we come back. We're taking your phone calls. We're gonna go eight eight.
Speaker 5: Eight eight five five two two nine seven.
Speaker 1: John Machota wasn't with us last week when we talked to the fans, so we got to get John's mindset on what's happening here. Eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven. Get on the phone line right now and give us a call. We'll be back with more talking Cowboys.
Speaker 9: Right after this, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles peray. But the good news is Todd has at and t five g it is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and tasks her the backpack with the beef stew at and t five G fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatable planning device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 11: Black Rifle Coffee Company serves premium coffee to people who love America. When you drink Black Rifle Coffee, you are directly supporting veterans, law enforcement, and first respond in your community. Black Rifles expert roasters love coffee almost as much as Texas loves football, so it makes sense that America's coffee partner with America's team. Go online at Black Riflecoffee dot com and fuel up with the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: That's Black Rifle Coffee dot Com.
Speaker 11: To fuel up.
Speaker 13: Today, Cowboys fans. After that move, We've just coined the term rowdy replay. Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 14: Okay, there's our mascot Rowdy cheering on the boys, and now he's on his phone on his.
Speaker 1: Bank of America mobile banking app, staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial assistant Erica.
Speaker 14: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive, Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot Com slash can't stop Banking everytay.
Speaker 1: It's only available in the Englis language. You must download the latest version of the mobile banking app, only available on so Like mobile devices. Message dat rage MAYPLI member FDIC.
Speaker 15: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of Doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 5: Would you there, doctor?
Speaker 10: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 15: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being a soldier?
Speaker 3: To cry out?
Speaker 15: Okay, this one's easy. I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 15: Just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 3: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Back here on Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys. This segment is brought to you by in Visiline, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys. We're back here with John Mitchoda, Nick Harris. I'm Kyle yeomans.
Speaker 5: I'm glad you're with us. Chris Beam in the back. It's time to talk to Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 1: Eight eight eight, eight five five two two nine seven is the phone line, and then eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight if you want to does a text message, we'll answer that as well. Nick, If you had the guess, what is the number one thing that's on the mind of Cowboys fans right now?
Speaker 7: Is there like an overwhelmings I No, I mean not, I'm just guessing.
Speaker 5: No, yeah, just guessing, just throwing a guess out there.
Speaker 7: Ah, what big move will they make in free agency? If any?
Speaker 6: I think that's probably the biggest thing. You know, Jerry talks about being all in fans. You know, some are not, a lot are not buying in. Some are you know, maybe a little bit more optimistic than in year's past. So I think everyone's trying to see what that looks like.
Speaker 8: I would that's a good one. If I'm going off of my Twitter mentions, And maybe this has to do with content that I put out, but I would say for me, my clear number one it's not even debatable, is does Michael Parsons need to be doing all these podcasts. Is he need to do at the All Star Game? Does he need to be doing this? Does he need to be doing that? Michael Parsons off season and things he does away from the facility are very high on. You know, people trying to get his autograph at the airport and things like that.
Speaker 7: So he's actually trying to enter the Olympics.
Speaker 6: You can see because he just won the MVP in the Celebrity All Star Game and then he was tweeting out last night. He's trying to join a men's softball league in Frisco. So yeah, he's trying to get all the sports done this offseason game.
Speaker 1: Hey, Michael, we've got an open spot on our team. If you want to join, you can come on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we were runners up in our league last year.
Speaker 1: We almost wanted called the recess Rejects. We could totally make it happen. We wear the ugliest uniforms.
Speaker 5: By the way, if.
Speaker 7: Michael doesn't jump on, let me know, I'll let you know some good second base.
Speaker 5: All right, I might be missing a couple of games. I've got some kiddos on the way, so we'll make it work.
Speaker 7: Yeah you got three extra.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly all right, We've got Eric in North Carolina on the line.
Speaker 5: Eric, what's on your mind? You're on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 16: Hey, guys, Harry all today doing great?
Speaker 3: How are you all doing well.
Speaker 16: I was just reading an article about from Patrick Walker that said that Jimmy Johnson is on Jerry Jones advisory board, and I was just wondering if you guys could talk about that, and and just the second thing is, I was wondering if y'all could give me your top five linebackers, like on your stack. My top one is Tommy Ikenberg And I'll just hang up and listen.
Speaker 5: Awesome.
Speaker 1: Appreciate you, Eric, Two good questions. Yeah, you can read that article on Dallas Cowboys dot com. Jimmy Johnson and the Cowboys are leaning hard into the makeup portion of their relationship as of late. That's the opening line from Patrick Walker. His quote, specifically on WQAM five sixty am in Miami was since the ring of honor, I'm on Jerry Jones's board advisory board now, possibly with a bit of jest regarding having an actual title, so there might not be an actual advisory.
Speaker 5: Board for Jerry Jones.
Speaker 1: But that's what's Jimmy saying here is he's been in the back pocket of Jerry, and he's been having his own conversations since that day.
Speaker 6: I think that's great to see from a Cowboys fan perspective, you know, to see those two being able to not only come together for the Ring of Honor this past year, but now being able to kind of work together in some ways. And you know, Jerry reaching out to Jimmy for advice. But I don't put a whole lot of stock into it as far as the big picture stuff.
Speaker 8: I don't either. It does sound good just because the last time those two worked together, it led to building a dynasty, and that's what every Cowboys fan wants this team to get back to, So of course you like hearing that. I find it just interesting just because of the fact of that never should have the communication, never should have stoped between the two of them, you know, And I think there's some pettiness probably there on both sides. I think both are a little bit to blame for that. So however it came to to where Jerry finally put them in the Ring of Honor, I think that that's a good move that helped them kind of maybe bury the hatchet and kind of get back on talking terms. But I think it's a good thing because Jimmy is a guy that a lot of people around the NFL lean on that will go down and visit him in the keys and stuff like that. I know over those years of the Dynasty years in New England, Bill Belichick was doing that a lot. So yeah, I think it's a I think it's a good thing, but I don't I don't look at it as necessarily like, oh, well, now now they're going to return to the nineties glory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what did you think about it? Second part of the question, stack and some linebackers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so linebackers you talked about on the draft blog a couple of weeks ago in Dallas Cowboys dot Com potential double dip positions, and I think linebacker is certainly one that you know could happen if the Cowboys maybe even pick up an extra pick here in the draft.
Speaker 7: It's it's very necessary to get one in the early rounds.
Speaker 6: He's sort of top five that I have a number one Edrian Cooper out of Texas A and m number two Peyton Wilson out of North Carolina State. Three Jeremiah Trotter junior out of Clemson, four Cedric Gray out of North Carolina, and then five. Yeah, your boy Ikenberg there, Eric, Yeah, I think he's He's definitely got some run stoppability. He's got that physicality that I think this team would need. I think there's two types of linebackers that you're kind of seeing in this draft. You got the athletic guys that can cover all around the field, and then you got some of the bigger set guys who maybe more downhill guys that will stop the run.
Speaker 7: You look at second levels.
Speaker 6: Like Baltimore, you look at second levels like Kansas City, and you wonder how you can kind of replicate those I think there's a way to go in either of those directions with guys in this draft if they if they feel like they can pop on one in the second or third rounds. I think any of those five guys would be interesting directions to take.
Speaker 7: I've got Cooper from A and M.
Speaker 1: Trotter from Clemson, Peyton Wilson from ENCI State, I like Junior Colson from Michigan. Ayah, well, you talk about a big downhill defender. Six with three two forty seven, I mean these are guys that are I mean, that is a guy who's stuffed the run. And I think Ikenberg's in there too. He's just outside my top five. He's at number six right now. So there's a lot of good players there. Are you considering Dallas Turner from Alabama and Ed Rusher? Yes, I am too, Okay, So I just want to make sure we're on the same page. Chris Braswell's in there too, both out out of Alabama, both kind of played that three four outside linebackers. Sort of feel I'm I'm considering them ed rushers and I'm staying more true to linebacker here with Cooper, Trotter, Wilson and Colson.
Speaker 7: Yeah, mainly off the ball guys.
Speaker 8: Swarre draft expert at the Athletic Is is Dane Brugler, whoever used to work on the Draft show here does a great job. I lean on him for a lot of the draft stuff because I just, I mean, that's his that's his job three sixty five, you know. And so I recently put together like twenty players to know for the Cowboys in the first round, and what kind of stood out to me, I used Dane's top one hundred draft board is kind of a template for it, and it was interesting how he didn't have he doesn't have a linebacker in the top thirty eight players out of his top one, right, yeah, and he has Colson at thirty nine. This is out of his top one hundred, just linebackers.
Speaker 5: These are these are his Colson is number one.
Speaker 8: He does wow, And so these are thought I was high having him as four out of his top one hundred. He has five linebackers, so it lines up with the caller asking the question, and so he has he has Colson at thirty nine, Eddrian Cooper at forty two, Iikenberg at seventy four, Peyton Wilson at seventy seven, and Trotter at ninety nine. And that kind of surprised me a little bit, just as a Florida State fan, because I've seen Trotter a lot with Clemson and I just think he's phenomenal. I think if you if like it lined up, like let's say that draft board went exactly like the draft goes, if you're able to get Trotter at ninety nine, I just think that would be that's yeah, great, great.
Speaker 5: Would be beautiful.
Speaker 1: That's better than you pick Nashwan, right, and that means you're pick yeah, and that means you're picking something significant of value in the first two rounds to pass over a linebacker.
Speaker 5: That means you're getting probably an offensive lineman, maybe two.
Speaker 1: Maybe you're getting a big defensive tackle, like a sweat or something out of Texas in the second round.
Speaker 5: I would love that pairing.
Speaker 1: You get an offensive lineman in the first, you get a defensive tackle in the second, get a linebacker in the third, and it's Jeremiah Trotter, sign me up.
Speaker 8: You know what impacts this a lot, though, is you know, when we go to the combine next week, it's it's not I mean, it's obviously about the draft, but it's a lot about free agency too. You know, going on Jerry's bus, there's a lot I mean, the agents are there the whole time, so there's a lot of unofficial talking about free agency things like that. Trades can you know, discussions can happen and stuff like that. And it's like if the draft was next week, like I'm thinking that the Cowboys are taking a linebacker second round, and they might, but if they make a trade between now and the draft, or do they sign something in free agency? Because Mike Zimmer likes this linebacker. They want to bring in a veteran and you pair that with what they have with Clark and Overshown. I mean, maybe they don't draft one, you know, but as we see here today, like ripping off those five names, like, you'd think that there's a decent chance of the Cowboys draft one of those players. Because that's such a major position. It has to be addressed, no doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 1: I think there's ways that you can address those positions, but it's got to be linebacker. You got to find something there at some point this offseason. Since they haven't done anything yet, we're looking straight at the looking straight at the draft.
Speaker 5: Currently. All right, let's go to Nebby in Maryland. What's going on? Nebby?
Speaker 2: Hey, guys, It's been a long time since I've been on this show, so I just got to say, it feels great to be back on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Nebi, thanks for calling in. You've always been great.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. That means a lot coming from you. Listen, I have a comment, I have a comment, and then I have a question. My comment is I just want to thank Will McClay for being so loyal to the Dallas Cowboys, and I really hope that we are able to win a Super Bowl championship before he leaves this organization to become a general manager somewhere else. And my question is do you see Deduced fun having a role on on the Dallas Cowboys next year? Because I am really high on him and I really think he can help us out. I take care, thank you so much for being patient with me, and have a great week.
Speaker 5: Oh bye, Great job, Nevy, great job man.
Speaker 1: The first thing about Will McClay, no doubt, I'm in all agreeance with him, and hopefully they do get it done because he's done a great job of building this roster drafting. That's why it is exciting to talk about the draft in this building. There were other organizations around the NFL where you look at the draft and you say, that's just.
Speaker 5: Another date on the calendar. It could work out, it could not. Here.
Speaker 1: You've really built some trust with this front office in the way that they've they've angled towards the draft.
Speaker 5: That's what makes things exciting moving forward. And Will mcclay's the head of all that.
Speaker 8: And the Deuce Fawn thing is interesting because I think that He's obviously a great story and a lot of people love that about it, But I just thought that there'd be We just saw a little glimpses where they were able to get them involved last year, and I just thought more of that would be utilized as a season when I and there was less of it sure, And so kind of like going with the linebacker thing, it's one of those deals where I don't know. I kind of feel like if we're going in the draft right now, I mean, if you don't have Tony Poward, you have to draft a running back relatively early. I'm not talking about first round, but I would think somewhere maybe as early as the second or third. But I just I don't know that duce Vaughan is going to be the answer there where you look at him as like he's getting fifteen carries a game. I just don't know that that not with what I saw from the offense last year, which is obviously going to be a similar offense to what we see next year.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I think the.
Speaker 6: Ceiling there obviously is a complimentary back that does a lot in the receiving game, and potentially, you know, if there's one day that the team decides to move on from Turp and then you know you have a return threat and do spawn there. But yeah, his opportunities, and this was something I kind of cracked down after the season with him specifically, is whenever his opportunities came, they came in times where the second team offensive line was in. He wasn't really able to get many running wanes. Not to say he's not to take any fault, but gosh, there were some opportunities. You look at half of his carries and I don't think any of us are getting any yards on those carries. So I would like to see him get that one more big shot during training camp and preseason next year. See what he does with that, see if he's improved going into year two. And if he has, then you know there's an opportunity for him to be on this on this team going into year two. But I think training camp and preseason is going to be really big for him.
Speaker 1: I didn't event this past weekend for the Cowboys club where we were talking about the season recap and we had.
Speaker 5: It on that but well, we were talking about the.
Speaker 1: Season as a whole, and we had a couple questions over Duce Fawn and here's another one from Neby. When's the last time we're talking about a six round player in the middle of March or I guess February is still about wanting to see more of the six round player. The expectations are high for duce Fawn, but you got to remember who he was as a draft pick.
Speaker 5: He was a late day three draft pick and working into the fold.
Speaker 1: One of the compar Garrison's I had with him during draft time, and it wasn't an uncommon comparison, it's darren Sproles.
Speaker 5: If you look at darren Sproles and what he did in his.
Speaker 1: First season he was with the San Diego Chargers fifteen games, he had eight carries for fifty yards, did not have a touchdown, and then he had three receptions for ten yards, so total yardage wise, he had what is that sixty yards total his entire rookie season. Then he missed the entire second season.
Speaker 5: With an ankle injury.
Speaker 1: So through the first two years of the league, darren Sproles had nothing go his way, and honestly, he didn't end up really doing much with San Diego. They moved on from him in twenty eleven. He stayed five years with San Diego, had a decent career with the Chargers. Then he moved on to New Orleans. But then it was when he got to Philly in twenty fourteen where things really hit the ground running. Deuce Vaughn's got to figure out a way to make it in the NFL. And I'm not saying he's not trying to bank away. He's as involved as an individual, he's as motivated as an individual.
Speaker 5: He has got the right mindset to be in the NFL.
Speaker 1: But he's got to find a way to adjust to the pace of play, and teams are going to have to adjust into how they figure out how to use douce Vawn. And he had twenty three carries forty yards over seven games. He had seven receptions for forty yards, so he actually had eighty yards of production compared to sixty for Darren Sprolls. I'm not giving up on duce Fawn just yet, but at the same time, you've got to look at where he is as a player. He's got a long way to go, and I think the team has a long way to go to find a way to use him.
Speaker 6: He had a couple of fun moments in preseason, he really did had great moments. That touchdown I'm looking at right here from the Seattle game. I forgot where he kind of he was getting spun down and he spun around was able to make it work. Thirteen carries for sixty four yards and two touchdowns during training camp or excuse me, during preseason right at five yards of carry.
Speaker 7: So I think there's still an opportunity for him to make some noise.
Speaker 8: Yeah, when you talk about the six round picks getting a lot of attention and talk, So I went back and looked at what they've since twenty sixteen. They took Anthony Brown in the sixth round, Savior Woods, Cedric Wilson, Donovan Wilson, So all good players go great gets all the stay around. But yeah, definitely not the hype that matches up with what Douce Fawn has. I think a lot of it too, also has to do with that he was just a great college player too, and a lot of people got to see him tear it up and so it was just air easy to see, oh, yeah, this is the way that he could be used. And again, like every every offense is different, So it's like just because he's not being used in a certain way here doesn't mean that like he doesn't have an NFL career. I just don't. I'm just going off of what I saw last year, knowing the offense is probably going to be somewhat similar. I just I don't know how they're going to use him more. I mean, so much has to be fixed in the running game before you even get to that, And a.
Speaker 1: Lot of the questions around Cavante Turpin in twenty twenty two is how do you get evolved offensively? He got involved offensively this year. They took him an offseason. He had eleven receptions one hundred and ten yards and that big touchdown early in the season.
Speaker 5: So there's ways that you can get guys involved.
Speaker 1: That was rushing yards, by the way, you had twelve receptions in one hundred and twenty seven yards receiving.
Speaker 5: I think there's ways that you can get Dousfon involved. You just got to find a way to do it.
Speaker 1: All right, when we come back, we're gonna take one more phone call, wrap things up here on this edition of Talking Cowboys and get you set for the week ahead, and then of course NFL Combine week next week.
Speaker 8: When we come back right after this.
Speaker 12: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors, combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 11: Are you ready to take coffee off your grocery list forever? Black Rifle Coffee Club is here to help. As a Coffee Club member, you'll get your favorite coffees, roasted package and ship to your door free of charge on your preferred schedule. Set it, forget it, and never run low on coffee again. Members also get exclusive deals on coffee products and discounts from partner brands. Ease your mind and let Black Rifle worry about your coffee supply. Go to Black Rifle Coffee dot com to join the Coffee Club today.
Speaker 13: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right Now Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 5: Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 13: That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 9: Tod thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible planning device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five g for you for details.
Speaker 3: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This portion of the show is brought to you by Quaker Oats, a super trusted super food. Quaker Oats the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. I gotta look to my left. Normally it's Isaiahs stand back. John Michoda didn't get it in this morning. That's okay, It's okay, Quaker Oats, Baby, make it happen. All right, We're gonna make it happen by going down to the great City of Houston, HTx, where Bruce is doing great work down there.
Speaker 5: What's up, Bruce?
Speaker 17: Hey, guys, good show, First time call. I usually speak to a little bit on the storyline, but thanks for letting me in. I really love the way you guys have your insight. I mean, especially on the Draft show. It's just very in depth and it really helps us novice fans, you know, really understand it even more. My favorite draft would be if we get that kid from Oregon as a center number one, pick Powers and then Swift from Texas as a defensive line and number two, and then I would take Benson from Florida state running back, or even Brayln Allen from Wisconsin. That would be an awesome three round pick for me. But it's all going to depend on free agency, of course, because it looks like Tyrant's coming back for at least one more year. So hopefully we only have to replace center, which might be a little bit easier. But a lot of the draft boards show that kid going at sixteen and twenty one, so I hope we don't have to use any ammunition to go up and get him. But hopefully he'll be there because he looks like a plug and play player. But my question to you is this, because you know they talk about everything. Jerry Jones and up to Dallas are all in, ships are all in. Well, it's going to depend on a lot on Dak Prescott's contract. I love Dak. I think he's a heck of a player, but after eight years and in the playoffs, I think we need to go in a different direction. So if we're truly all in, because obviously if we do what we did this year, mccart's gone. I don't know if them are signed more than a one year contract, but they're going to blow the thing up. So if you do redo Dak's contract, whether it's just for you know, voided years so we can get some cap relief or doing a true contract, they've got to, my opinion, make it to where no trade clauses out of there. Now you can maybe guarantee him that we won't trade you this year because we're all in, but after that then they're going to blow this thing up. So my question to you would be this, if Pinnix is there at twenty four, the quarterback from is it Washington State?
Speaker 5: Washington?
Speaker 17: Ye, if he's there, would you, I mean, do they you think they value him more than they do trade lance? And you know, I don't know if you guys can answer on that, but that's what I would do. I don't think any player, even as good as Dak is, should demand a no trade claws.
Speaker 16: But that's my opinion.
Speaker 17: You know, hang up and listen. Great show, guys.
Speaker 5: I appreciate you very much, Bruce.
Speaker 1: I think the thing about Dak is you can't trade him because there is no trade claws. You you can't tag him because you can't. The only thing you can trade that he's got to say yes, which which is not going to happen.
Speaker 8: Right, But I mean if they wanted to move on, they could work something out with them. I mean, obviously that's what the Lions did with Matthew Stafford. I mean, it's not like this is It's not like it's a hard no trade like all, well, there's just well he can't be traded. No, he can be traded, but he would have to he'd have to agree upon the team that they were sending him to. And believe me, if he said, how Mary Jones.
Speaker 5: Would you have to carry there? Because he's fifty nine.
Speaker 8: Oh, it's not a great to say.
Speaker 5: I'm not doing it.
Speaker 8: I'm just telling you that it can be traded.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, where do you go?
Speaker 8: Can I just one part of that Calle? Absolutely?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think a lot of teams, a lot of franchises. You could use the words blow this thing up if it doesn't go well this year. I just don't see any blowing up going here, because even if you move on from the head coach, I don't see that going anywhere. I don't see Ceedee Lamb going anywhere. I don't see Michael Parsons going anywhere. And so you can change the head coaches, and you can change the coaching staff, but it's going to be ultimately about the players. And the only way things would massively change here would be you'd have to go in a completely different direction at quarterback. And I don't see this team doing that. Whereas, yeah, there's a lot of great points that the caller made, and I do think there are franchises in the NFL that would be considering that right now, but those are more aggressive franchises than this one is. And again, I'm going more off since i've covered team, but I've covered team since twenty eleven, and there's been no blowing up. I mean it's literally gone from like it just rolls into the next thing. Like there was no blowing things up when they decided to go from Romo to Dak. There was no blowing things up when they went from Garrett to Mike McCarthy. And so while that could be a good thing, that might be the best thing that happens would be to blow everything up and start over new. That's I would don't see that happening with this organization at all.
Speaker 6: If you trade Dak Prescott, your window is officially closed, and it's closed for two three years until you can get a quarterback that you trust to be.
Speaker 8: Able to Oh, I don't think that at all, not in today's NFL. I do not think that at all. If you get if you got the right player, you know, I think that you've seen the brock Perties and the Jalen hurts Is of the world that if they did draft that right player at twenty four, I could see it going that way. But that's a big risk because that player would after twenty four could also have the impact of Johnny Manziel.
Speaker 1: But if we're talking about blow it up, you're not just trading Dak Prescott, you're trading CD, You're trading Micah. You're trying to get as min draphics as possible because you're trying to blow it up. That's what I'm I'm saying. Just get It's the same point you just made about the head coach. Yeah, if the head coach goes somewhere, that doesn't mean Dak, CD and Micah are following. Just because your quarterback goes somewhere doesn't mean CD, Micah your head coach are following. Like it's just one specific move, right, if you decide to do it all, then it might be a window of two to three or four years.
Speaker 8: I just meant, I guess with the quarterback as a bigger that's the move that would blow things up because it would be a quarterback driven league. That's the thing that whatever organization you look at successful and not, the quarterback position is the biggest barometer of why that team did or didn't have success, you know, And and I think Dak Prescott is a great barometer, just like Tony Rummel was of the Dallas Cowboys. Very good. Can't get it done in January. That doesn't mean that they're bad. That doesn't mean that there's not a ninety nine percent of the teams in the league when one have that player. But it just they haven't been able to get it done in January. But they're obviously very good. I mean, this isn't just a Jerry Jones thing with Dak Prescott. Most people that know the NFL that are way smarter than any of us, would think the Cowboys are crazy to move on from Dak Prescott, you know. And I get that fans are frustrated and because the team hasn't had that success in January, but I don't see the team moving on because there's a way greater chance that you make it so much worse. And when I say so much worse, it's not just like oh next year, like I'm talking like for the next ten years.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 8: Than if you keep trying to find ways to put pieces around Dak and then finally, you know, get over the hump and maybe get hot in January.
Speaker 5: Well, and this is all great conversation as well.
Speaker 1: But even if let's say Dak does say yes to a deal, he does agree and he lifts the no trade clause to go somewhere, what situation is he doing that for? Because it's going to be a situation that doesn't need a quarterback, because it's going to take some draft capital. It's going to take a lot of a hole to get him out of Dallas in the first place. Plus they're gonna have to make the room from a cap standpoint too. What situation is he going to go to and say, okay, I'll maybe sign off.
Speaker 8: Okay, Well, he's got to agree to this first of all, exactly, So he isn't agreeing to this on Jerry just sitting there mentioning it to him, you know, and passing that's obviously a sit down meeting. Yeah, and you know how pissed off Dak Prescott would be if you sat down and said that, hey, we're going to trade you. So there's a lot of teams that he'd be like, oh, oh, you guys think I'm the problem. Uh okay, Yeah, I bet you. There'd be five or six teams and they would be able to get something done, and you probably see Dak Prescott play really well that next season for whatever. So I don't see that happen.
Speaker 5: It's just it's a not a chance in the world. I was gonna say a minuscule chance. I don't think there's a single option for Dak to be traded here.
Speaker 7: Dak Prescott's going to be here for a while.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Buckley, buckle, buckle up.
Speaker 1: All right, that does it for us. You're on Talking Cowboys, great calls as always. We might be back next week, we might not because yeah, we've.
Speaker 7: Got a lot of stuff, got a lot going on.
Speaker 6: I say, it's still gonna be in Africa and John will be at the combine, so we're gonna have to figure that one out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll fill the other seat.
Speaker 7: Maybe it's you and Josh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe I did.
Speaker 1: Uh, I did get to see talking Cowboys longtime listeners will enjoy this.
Speaker 5: I got to catch up with Rob Phillips over the weekend nice and I said, hey, just come on by.
Speaker 1: Let's see what you uh, let's see what you still got and he said anytime. So maybe maybe this will be a week where I bring Rob Phillips into the full up and see how it goes, where I can fill the chairs with the triplet's.
Speaker 5: We'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: All right, That does it for us here on Talking Cowboys for Chris being John Machoda, Nick Harris, and Kyle Yoman saying so long from the start and first go, we'll see you next week. This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.