Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this weekend recap update. Monday morning episode of Guys, episode one of season this season is this three nine, three nine. Of course, take a three nine class. Put another school.
Speaker 2: I'm adding another on my little tally mark tattoo I have on my thigh.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it's getting our hand many fifty fifty five six. Sorry, I got to count the more I think. I think we have thirty three.
Speaker 1: So much of my time is spent doing dumb like counting things and be like, how high can you count by tens? How hi, can you count by three means? Anyways, I'm Jack, that is Miles, and we're gonna tell you some of the things that we're trending, uh, that happened over this awful, awful weekend. Before we get into the events of the weekend the news, we like to check in personally, talk about what we were up to, and do a little overrated underrated on the personal front.
Speaker 3: Hey, Brian, you want to mute man? I get that we're boring.
Speaker 1: It was a loud We got a loud yawn from super producer Brian.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna ask.
Speaker 1: You to leave in just so uh oh boy, can we actually get that as a drop that we could just throw every once in a while, every time we have to talk about awful shit, like what about that eclipse over the weekend, that's my overrated Miles.
Speaker 3: Okay, go ahead, go off.
Speaker 1: I'm clipses. I'm not gonna say all eclipses are overrated. I don't think I brought the proper preparation to it. I was trying to make a big deal about it for my family, and the sun fucked me. Miles.
Speaker 2: What did you do, Like, did you do like looks into the sun to see if you walked out?
Speaker 1: I just made sure we were outside. We were in the middle running some errands, so we were like on a street with some stores on it and uh, kind of looking up through our hands type, Yeah I did. I did not prepare. Okay, however, yeah, last time we did an eclipse, you remember, when we like were working it was like early days.
Speaker 3: Of bull full totally clip full total eclipse h seventeen.
Speaker 1: It was the year. Yeah, and like, do you do you remember being underwhelmed by that?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because also we've also been getting the shittiest angles for eclipse for eclipses, you know, so eclipse I but like I don't think like I don't think either of right, Yeah, anyway, that's fine, and you know what, it's a Monday, That's what I'm doing. But like, because I remember, I remember, we were really bummed out when we saw the footage of people in that area and like Oregon where you can really get it, and they're like.
Speaker 1: Booky, I just want some spookiness, come on, Yeah, exactly, it's Hollywood. We know about camera angles, we know about angles. Folks give us, give us the spookiness. And by folks, I mean the celestial bodies exactly. Yeah, so the only evidence. And my kids were into it, but I just like, I don't know.
Speaker 3: They a little bit didn't.
Speaker 1: It got like a tiny bite.
Speaker 2: It felt like it felt like overcasts, like when there's a fire and that fire smokes in the air and the light. That's kind of what I thought was going on. Then I was like, oh, right, the eclipse.
Speaker 1: But like we I think I have the stories from history in my head where an eclipse happens and it stops everyone in their tracks and they're like wait, wait, stop, stop the massive battle, stop killing each other. God, God's talking. God just entered the room. So I'm always expecting something like that, and the eclipses I've experienced are more like and lo, the sun passed behind the moon, and it was less dramatic than if the sun went behind a cloud, and there were some like kind of interesting light shapes on the ground if you knew to look for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw.
Speaker 2: I saw a family that was clearly scienced out because they had like their proper like paper eclipse. Yeah, like projector and things like that. But yeah, Jack, we're never going to have that thing where like it's.
Speaker 1: The morning star as behold, the shape of this light reflection is slightly different.
Speaker 2: If you want it, dude, you gotta go to the right part of the earth, dude, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: That's or so I did. I did speak to somebody after the fact, Thanks a lot, Dylan, But he was like, oh, man, there was an eclipse this morning. I have a solar telescope and that you can like just look directly at the sun through it and just like you can like see sun spots. And he was like, Oh, anytime there's an eclipse like that, I try try and look through my solar telescope. So maybe that's I just need to get a solar telescope and yeah, well.
Speaker 2: Hey we got a you know what, main, We're going to get another bite of the apple April April eighth.
Speaker 1: But that one goes Texas up through Maine, so I don't think we're going to get much.
Speaker 3: What Jack, We're going to fucking bangor Maine.
Speaker 4: Thank you, bangor bangor dogs yeah or Mexico, uh Sea dogs and did a little heat dogs with all my I never knew such a holy balloo.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyways, you know, I'm not I'm not I'm not mad at you eclipses. I'm just saying, there's something about the story I've been told up to this point in history books, in by the local news that is not matching up with my lived experience. Maybe it's something I need to look.
Speaker 2: At and welcome to the world of our media informed realities, you know, because like we're only seeing like the most lit eclipse footage like on the news, and like, oh yeah, it's not gonna look like that here, It's gonna look like if there was a cloud.
Speaker 1: You just gotta like, you just gotta be ready and travel. The superducer Brian is saying, like total solar eclipses are a must see all.
Speaker 3: Right, twenty twenty four, Texas were coming for you.
Speaker 1: You know that's right, Mexico, maybe Mexico.
Speaker 3: What's something?
Speaker 1: I overrated?
Speaker 2: Mile overrated people who think they can just do some other shit in a movie theater because they aren't interested in the movie they're seeing, or they don't want to be there with their family, whatever the fuck it is.
Speaker 1: So now this is because you went to the Taylor Swift movie and you were sitting there with a notepad and people kept getting up and dancing right.
Speaker 2: No, people were on their phones during the thing, recording themselves. No. So I saw The Creator this weekend by myself. This is the second movie I want to roll of seeing movies by myself.
Speaker 3: Saw Oppenheimer by myself.
Speaker 2: I'm seeing The Creator by myself, just me to question my existence. I like to see by myself. Yes, And I went like I went early in the morning because I wanted to avoid all the ambient noise of adjacent Taylor Swift showings because side note, the fucking theater was a Taylor wild house.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And like when I was leaving the movie, I caught the shit blaring out of another one. I was like, oh, yeah, it really is like that.
Speaker 3: But anyway, there was a guy on his phone, like before the trailers start.
Speaker 2: He was on his phone. Fine, I don't give a shit. Then the trailers come on. He's playing fucking poker or some shit. Fine, whatever, it's the trailers. Then Nick Coole comes on. Nick Cole comes on to.
Speaker 1: Talk about I need some proper respect for Nicole heartache feels good in a place like this.
Speaker 3: This mother fuck is still on his phone.
Speaker 1: So then I said around to Jurassic World, sir.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna said, I'm gonna give him until the Like I said, maybe he's handling some shit on poker, I'll give him to the I'll give him to when the actual movie starts, because then I can you could really be like no, no, no, this is disrespect. So the movie comes on, the fucking theater lights dim. He's looking at fantasy or some shit. The movie comes on and it's going I'm about to lean forward.
Speaker 3: The guy next to him just goes, can you turn your can you turn off your phone?
Speaker 2: And the dude was so shook, like his phone almost blew out of his hands, like like a comedy bit, because he was so.
Speaker 3: Like oh god, yoh, whoa whoa, whoa, sorry, put it.
Speaker 2: Away and like did that thing like kids do when they put their hands like in their sleeves of their hoodie to like kide their hands like, and.
Speaker 1: Was like like a turtle, Yeah is this person doing?
Speaker 2: And anyway, so I'm like, why did this guy think he could have his ship on full blast brightness and not like and think no one in the theater was gonna know what the fuck he was doing?
Speaker 3: Anyway, this dude seemed like.
Speaker 2: An asshole too, because he was there with his family and the second the movie ended, he just ran out, like he got up swiftly like and like he was He wasn't sitting like closest to the isle. He was furthest from the aisle, so he had to pass over the knees of his family. He's like all right, I'm the fuck out of here and just pieced out. And I was like, did this kind of the back end to do? So he was on the fucking lobby on his phone.
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So man, man, it just felt like bad vibes, Like it felt like weird, you know, family shit going. I don't know, but it almost fucked up my movie experience. But yeah, the creator was fucking wild. I gotta say, shit, hits different given what is happening in Gaza, and like the movie completely dealing with like who we extend this like thought of humanity or the identity of humanity too, and how if not we can indiscriminately have death from above with our spaceships. It's like it's that. Shit was just it was a little it was very relevant. But yeah, overall I liked what I saw. Not a perfect phone, but yeah it was.
Speaker 3: It was. It was a great little Saturday thing.
Speaker 2: Although again, given what's happening in the world, not the easiest thing to wort.
Speaker 1: An easy watch, no, no, not a light one. And yeah I watched it like two and a half weeks, you know, two and a half weeks ago, and I feel like, I mean, obviously caught the that connotation, but it wasn't. It wasn't like everywhere in the news like yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, bang it down your door. Yeah. I almost had that guy as uh as my overrated, but I figured since you saw a movie with him, it would probably be your oprated. But yeah, fuck that guy just so much. The didn't watch the credit FU.
Speaker 3: The movie's fucking good.
Speaker 1: And if you don't want to be stressing your family out man, Yo exact the family was stressed too, because I felt bad his partner didn't say anything like I was.
Speaker 3: First. I was like, yo, are are you gonna self check the group?
Speaker 2: But that wasn't happening, Like oh, the dynamics fucking off here, Like this dude is doing some like overt like I don't want to be here type ship. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So shout out.
Speaker 2: To the dude who was sitting right next to him, because it looked like everybody in the area kept looking at It's like, okay, we're about to collectively tell this motherfucker to fucking be gone with the phone.
Speaker 1: Two can turn your phone off? Yeah, all right? Underrated? My underrated is I'll keep it light for a second. Peter mcnicholl uh macnickell M A C N I C O L. The guy who plays like a creep and deep. He's been in like so much stuff. I mainly knew him as Ghostbusters too, doctor. Sorry, I will put proper respect on his name a movie that I haven't seen since I was a kid. But it's like still his performance is still so strongly in my memory, Like yeah, I think go where he's just walking to the museum floor. Just telling people they're doing a bad job is amazing. Anyways, I watched as promised told you guys I would do it. Watched Adam's Family Values this weekend, which was a blast. My kids loved it. The only thing I really remembered was the Thanksgiving play where they like Wednesday and Pugsley like basically murder a bunch of children and counselors or like come close to the take over the camp.
Speaker 3: I am up, really, you know.
Speaker 1: And also I had a very visceral memory of the part where we see Uncle Fester's face as he enters his wife for the first time, like on their honeymoon, just knows carnal pleasure for the first time. But yeah, I mean, there's so much good stuff. John Qsck's performance as the femme fatale was really great. Debbie, which my Cabby, she made she made an impression. They were like, so what that was the character? They were like, what was the lady's name? I was like, Mortitia Wednesday. They're like no, no, no, no, no. Debbie. Yeah. Yeah. I don't know if it's because she actually gets got at the end, but no. Spoiler alert sorry, but there there's just this like one thirty second bit where Peter McNichols like introducing this camp for privileged kids. Yeah, and he's like just giving the best like weird camp counselor energy and like giving this speech about what privilege is and like why it's great, and his performance is just so fucking funny. It's like one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.
Speaker 3: I'm Gary Granger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like bodily like he does this like thing, this celebratory thing with his hands that is so great, truly, you know, an underra.
Speaker 2: America's foremost facility for privileged young adults. Yeah, and then when they fuck up the black kids name that, that one hits too hard.
Speaker 1: Like I was like, come on, him and Baranski are the counselors. But I also I underrated. This is probably just me, but I think it's true broadly. But I had totally made the association between the Adam's Family movies and Tim Burton. I thought Tim Burton directed both of the Adams Family movies, and like my friend who I watched it with, we were both I think he was like to Burton direct this one or just the first one, and he directed neither neither, and like the moment it starts, I was like, oh no, this is a this is a Sonemfeld joint, this is the son and feldiest, this is Sonemfeld as fuck. But yeah, everyone all like I had done the same thing that everyone does with Nightmare before Christmas, which people are like, oh, that's I mean, they put his fucking name on that one, and I mean he was pretty heavily involved in the development, but he did not direct it. But this one he just like straight up pasted on, had nothing to do with it. And I guess because he's direct the Netflix show Wednesday, I had just assumed that. But I think it's just like he was responsible for every piece of art where people wore black. In my mind when I was a child, I was like, yeah, yeah, so I don't know, Yeah, I was underrating the strength of the Tim Burton brand.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, him and Spike Lee were making the blackest movies of the nineties.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right. And then my last underrated related to the Adam's Family values is Barry Sonemfeld's career is very strange. YEA, So he was he was like the Coen Brothers cinematographer. I didn't realize that.
Speaker 3: Oh is that where we got to start?
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, he was. He was the cinematographer on Miller's Crossing and like Blood Simple and you know, some of their great early movies. And then he his first directing job was Adam's Family, The Adams Family, and then adams Family Values, and then he did uh you know he he did a Michael J. Fox movie in between those, but then right into like Men in Black and yeah get It's yeah, get Shorty want of That was like when I saw that movie, that fucking blew my mind. I love to Get Shorty. And but the strength of the decision to end all of his movies with the rap song describing what just happened in the movie, like Adam's Family had the mc hammer song at the end of it Adam's Family Values, but like Adam's Family Values has Adam's Family womp by tag Team and it's basically wump there. It is just re skin for the Adams Family. And like I mean, there's like it is really just like a straight the.
Speaker 2: Lyrics are the Adams Family elite. There it is I remember that ship. I was like, yo, did they come up with this ship? They come up with woom, just had the Adams family in between.
Speaker 3: Whomp there it is.
Speaker 1: And like they say, like they open it with like, am my man, Steve Roland Boom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's got like.
Speaker 1: All the same preambles as what there it is? But I don't know. I it really suggests that while we all assumed Will Smith decided to make rap songs about his movies during that period, he just happened to be in a Barry Sonemfeld movie was like doing him a solid, but.
Speaker 2: Like exactly, and then he's like, all right, Barry, we want you to direct.
Speaker 3: Wow Wow West? What are you thinking? I think?
Speaker 2: I know, actually I know Will Smith is going to be rapping the theme song at the end. I don't care about anything else, but it has to be he has to be singing Wow Wow West.
Speaker 1: What a you know? And then his career ended with Nine Lives, you know, turns out he didn't have nine Lives the Kevin Spacey Cat movie I believe. Oh jesus, yeah, do you remember when that came out?
Speaker 3: No? I just now that I'm looking at the poster, I'm like, what the fuck is this?
Speaker 2: Christopher walking Jennifer Garner and Kevin Spacey.
Speaker 1: No sorry, Kevin Spacey is yeah. Yeah. Anyways, uh, what a what a run. Let's take a quick break and we'll come back because you know, well, you're underrated relates to the news that was happening over the weekend. So we'll be right back and we're back. Yeah, and Miles, what is your underrated?
Speaker 3: Underrated?
Speaker 2: This week, I saw the rampant Islamophobia in this country. The media, social, colonial and otherwise all collectively lost their shit this last week. I saw people go in a time machine back to fucking September twelfth, two thousand and one, where Muslim people were so easily reduced to this like media created image of a non human, hostile monster that deserves death at any cost that I was just it was heartbreaking to watch, especially as we're just just watching violence beget even more outsized violence. People were fucking convinced the you know, there was all this media push, especially on especially conservative media and you know mainstream willike.
Speaker 3: That there was just going to be this global day of jihad.
Speaker 2: Yeah on Friday, and you know it was like it was I again, like I understand that given what is happening you'd think, oh, maybe there's going to be some kind of escalation, reprise or whatever. But the idea of a group telegraphing like mass terror attacks on one day is a little bit outsized. If anything, there were people like gathering to like protest.
Speaker 1: Which is like in the in the run up to it, that was explicitly what it what the stated purpose of yeah, the day was if nobody was saying and this is going to be I mean, I'm sure some people were.
Speaker 2: Translating that as oh, uh, you know, Muslim people getting together to express their dismay at something that's happening in the world, as oh, it's a global date day of gihad, and then tragically it seemed to culminate this weekend with a six year old child being stabbed to death by his racist landlord, all because him and his mother are Palestinian, American and Muslim.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: They don't like the explanation of it was is terrifying, Like to the point I'm really fucks me up to like read it out loud. But we are continuing to pulverize entire neighborhoods where entire families get killed. This is not going to make anyone safer. And I think that's another part. I think a lot of Americans are not really understanding. You think, because we live here that we might be insulated from the things that our government is doing.
Speaker 3: We're not.
Speaker 2: We're going to be less safe. Anti American sentiment is going to fucking go to heights.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure I.
Speaker 2: May have not ever seen in my life if this goes on without the US trying to do something to de escalate. And I just watched this goal play out over and over and over again.
Speaker 3: It's like it just blows my mind, like the.
Speaker 2: Amount of clarity that we can look at what people, how people were acting after nine to eleven and what that brought on. We're completely unable to bring that level of clarity to this situation now. And it seems like if you look at just how the media is doing things like well seventy percent of people back you know, the like military retaliation of Israel or whatever, they're sort of like using that to be like, yeah, go ahead, let's just keep let's keep funding this. Yeah, because it doesn't it's not going to end tidally with whatever they think this operation is going to be. That's not going to be the punctuation of this at all, right, and that's what is like, you know, really fucks me up. And like for people to think that it's not going to be smoke for the country whose names are on all of these bombs that are being dropped, right, I think is uh is a level of ignorance that I mean, I'm sure people probably just flock to in order to feel comfortable with what's happening, but it's it's a it's really nerving and I don't I'm yeah, I'm waiting to see a response from the government that is more like just doing the bare minimum of saying like, oh, and there are innocent people in Gaza, Oh, thank.
Speaker 1: Yous, jo Biden toying with saying the right thing, but it's just the language is so vague and they're like making gestures that like like that an example of this that's not from the government, but like the NFL had like at the start of Sunday Night Football, like the announcer expressed horror at the terror attacks in Israel, you know, which, yeah, horror at the deaths of innocent people is appropriate, but then said basically like thoughts and prayers to everyone in the Middle East in harm's way, like just in a way that suggests that, like the imperial cruelty of the military response is an inevitability. Yeah, that like where it's just like our hands are tied here, We're going to just bomb entire families out of existence entirely like black explore civilians live.
Speaker 3: And the idea.
Speaker 2: Man, I mean, like, well, let's just get into like this first story, because it all it all feats in one one to the other.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So you know, Israel turned Gaza's water off, as we talked about last week, and it's been a week uh since they cut off the flow of water, and this weekend there was news that Israeli officials had restored the water supply after strong pressure from the Biden administration, which spawned several headlines about how water service has returned in Gaza. It feels like this is like people are craving anything that is going to let them not feel bad for the Palestinian people. They just like want the news to be like it's okay, though, it's okay, it's okay. You don't have to feel bad. You just you don't have to value both lives the same, because yeah, it's it's going to be okay. So the headline Times of Israel, Israeli official confirms that Israel has resumed water supply to Gaza. The Wall Street Journal White House says Israel has resumed water service in southern Gatta Gaza. And when CNN briefly developed a moral compass for like fifteen seconds and press National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan on the US support for Israel, Sullivan similarly stated that Israel had now turned the water pipe back on, as if there was.
Speaker 2: Like one main spigot that just crank it to the left, and.
Speaker 1: He's trying to evoke the end of Fury Road, like oh god, one yeah, just like one pipe. We turned the big pipe on for the dusty poor people. Row, can you all just stop asking us questions? But first of all, Israel isn't alleging that the water has been turned on for all of Gaza. Their Energy and Infrastructure Minister Israel Cats specifically said that the water would be turned on only in the south of the Gaza strip, specifically to help push civilians to move south. So basically admitted that it was just a carrot on a stick to speed up this mass forced displacement with people out of their homes. Yeah, and also the water's not back on, Like, this is the thing.
Speaker 3: That's become really contentious.
Speaker 2: There's been I've seen, you know, like the way Reuters even put it, it said, you know, people are saying the water's not on. Israel says water is on in some parts of southern Gaza, right, And this is where you get into well, like mechanically, how is the water back on? Right, because a lot of people have mentioned it's not just the water's back on, Like people rely on pumps and pumps need fuel and that means electricity. There's no electricity, so how do you run it then? If not, if there's non electricity, then you need fuel like a fuel source.
Speaker 3: If there's no fuel going in, then how do you run the pumps? Right? And so this is just a.
Speaker 2: Very like it the words look nice on paper, but the lived reality like you're seeing human rights groups saying like Gaza is running dry and now people are resorting to other unsafe sources of water just to stay hydrated. Yeah, something that is the most critical fucking thing you need to sustain your life.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's it's a very Again if you're just reading headlines. You could be soothed into soothed into thinking that these people are okay, so only a million people had to be displaced to move down to the other side of this imaginary line to be safe. But yet we're still watching, like you know, like like then there's the calls for people to just go to like well, why can't Egypt take them?
Speaker 3: It's like, I'm sorry, you're talking about displacing.
Speaker 1: Them again, yeah, moving them out of the country.
Speaker 2: It's just a very like they're using this like really fucked up rationale to further displace them out of Gaza, Like, well, they can't come back here.
Speaker 3: Now because we we we.
Speaker 2: Told because we have to fight Gaza in Hamas in northern Gaza. Because they're like, yeah, y'all leave, We're gonna stay here in the place that they say they're.
Speaker 3: Gonna bomb indiscriminately.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It's just a very uh it's it's so disorienting, like as a person too, when you're like, but this is objectively fucked up, like what is the solution here? And it's just it's just more it's just more rhetoric to be like, well, these people are like animals, so it doesn't really matter, or they're being used as human shield So you know what we say, if someone's a human shield, then you've got to destroy the human shields too. There's no other there's no other course of action here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And just in terms of like source of information, like the you know, aid workers claim that we've not yet seen evidence that the water's back. Like aid workers are an important resource at a time like this because they can observe and like say what is happening on the ground. And like there's this New York Times like editorial board opa that has the title like Israel can defend itself and uphold its values. Israel is fighting, like the front page headline is different. Israel is fighting to defend a society that values human life. And it's but it's a like kind of a plea from the New York Times editorial board to be like, hey, guys, could you like not kill Like it's also what it seems like the Biden administration is doing is like nicely asking them to not kill civilians or like being like that it would be so great if like you could just like manage to not kill civilians and not say stuff like the human animals thing wasn't great. We can we not do that. But like in the article they mentioned that like these eight workers and these people, these objective observers are being killed, like are you know in the in the conflict, Like eleven journalists have already been killed in this war. At least eleven United Nations workers have already been killed.
Speaker 2: And again the journalist too, even though I think it was a Reuters camera operator who was killed. And like there were headlines that were just saying like killed from fire that came from the direction of Israel. Right, It's yeah, it's it's just unfolding in like such a fucked up, horrific way every single day. And yeah, I don't like you you hear like these very just sort of like barely doing anything. Quotes come out of the White House, and it just like it seems like the White House doesn't even know what the endgame is from the Israeli government, like where they're headed with this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it feels like a lot in a lot of ways, like Americans are siding with the richer side, like the side that has the like more I don't know, the one that reminds them more of the United States you know, like and so sure.
Speaker 2: Because Americans can see themselves a little bit more in the Israeli public for sure. The I don't think that's why, like the and what is happening to the people in Palestine also resonates for a group of people in America as well. Yeah, and I think it's just that's why, like this thing is happening. It's like the people are as, like minds are being split in many different ways. Other people have their minds made up or they're either anti Semitic or just don't like or Islamophobic whatever, have a hatred of Muslim people.
Speaker 3: But there are others too, or like I, what the fuck it? Where do I?
Speaker 2: It's just like it's it's again like most people saying, like what you're seeing unfolding gaza is ethnic cleansing. Yeah, and that's that's that's really it's something that we have to reckon with too, because again, like I said, the name of this country is on the munitions that are being used on these people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's uh, let's take a break and we'll come back and we're back.
Speaker 3: We're back.
Speaker 1: And before the weekend, we had the we we asked the important question is Taylor Swift too powerful hasn't taken an L to this point? Maybe yeah, And I'm not going to call it an L. But her Aras tour did not hit my expectations at the box office. The bo was mildly boffo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it wasn't. It wasn't.
Speaker 2: It wasn't as baffo as we thought it would be. I mean, what was it projected? Wasn't it something closer to like over one hundred million? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think I think domestically they're expecting over one hundred million, and like they were like, this thing could go anywhere, you know, It's like yeah, yeah, and it's more in like the ninety five ninety seven million range. Obviously baffo. You know, I don't want to say I don't want to be quoted as saying it's not baffo. Okay, So like I know people are going to take out of context and say I said the further record Podder record botho.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 1: So that number fell slightly below sub projections, but in just one weekend, Sorry become the highest grossing concert film ever in the US, topping Justin Bieber's Never Say Never, which made seventy three mil. In its entire run back in twenty eleven. However, I so this is relevant information because end of last week I was like, has there ever been anybody that's this big? We were like, yeah, Michael Jackson's probably bigger internationally, but like, did he have a movie that went nuts? Like this one is going to yah out? He did? No, this is it the the that was like.
Speaker 3: That was like he's like after he died, right after he died.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like, you know, not not at the height of his power. He released a you know, concert documentary which in the US I remember sort of just coming and going, but it was, you know, a global sensation. It made two hundred and sixty two point five million dollars.
Speaker 3: Did you see it?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: No, me neither.
Speaker 1: No. Yeah, I mean it was it was after like all the controversy like drastically diminished his you know, my ability to sit there and be like MJ still got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is like this was I feel like because it was just sort of be like, this was what he was about to do before he died. So I feel like a lot of people were like, this is the goodbye box office visit for Michael Jackson fans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, but he sixty two.
Speaker 2: That's two, so that's looking like it's in peril, could be in peril, but it's also like not you know that, like people are after after this weekend, they're like international box office figures were not immediately available Sunday, but with the solid domestic opening, expectations are high that the film can surpass.
Speaker 1: Like Michael Jackson, but it's not like a guarantee, so it's like in the same rage as like as a I don't know, diminished Michael Jackson.
Speaker 2: I think they're they're not quite one to one, you know, especially in like the pre social media environment. But again, it's undeniable. Taylor Swift is truly, truly this ship is fucking it's it's religion. I'm not joking. I could. When I left the creator there was one Taylor Swift showing in full swing and I heard like I heard singing in the theater wow, And then in the lobby another one was about to gear up. And the number of like, I really see why this really is something because the number of like tween kids I saw who like weren't quite the parents like obviously don't want to send their kid to go to a concert by themselves, and they damn sure weren't going to buy another ticket to like like to, uh.
Speaker 3: What's the what's the word I'm looking for? Uh? When you're show not show?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 3: No, what the fuck am I looking for? Like when you do it at a dance, you're.
Speaker 2: A chauffeur, no chaperone, chaperone, thank you Brian that you're not going to chaperone your kids there.
Speaker 3: So like this movie is perfect because.
Speaker 2: Now, like all I saw a lot of younger kids, some other older people getting turned up at the bar.
Speaker 3: But yeah, like it was it's it's.
Speaker 1: It's rated Taylor Swift eras I think, see right, it's got some Yeah you see the Red Band trailer, it's like, yeah, dark dude, she's shooting Heroin like like fucking right before the prayer.
Speaker 3: Before they go on stage.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was like I mean, I definitely I saw the I saw the power and like the whole thing. I won't lie, Like the reason I went to that early thing is because I saw so many videos on social media of like how turned up the audiences were.
Speaker 1: It's wild, it's rated PG thirteen. They they're really hell yeah, because she has a song that says shit in it or something.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: But anyways, so the movie has also prompted an online discussion concerning movie theater etiquette. This is one. So we are firmly in the position of guy who's playing poker or checking his fantasy scores can get the fuck out of the movie theater, yeah, if he so chooses, but he should not be doing that in the theater. I am firmly in the category of like against the theater etiquette people on this one, because there's just all these, all these videos of the movie theater where I didn't even realize how big the space between the front row and the screen was until yeah, yeah, the people were like turn that into a full on dance party. Everyone's just dancing, singing, and I can see how it could be annoying to some people, And yet I don't know, maybe just like go down and dance with them. Then if you're an.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as a fan of something, as a die hard fan of shit, I totally I respect their right to go fucking just losing it. Okay, lose yourself in there, because I bet you didn't have the money to go on the expensive ass tour. So this is the next best thing you can do to congregate with other like minded fans of a thing and then just have your cathartic fan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go ahead, fucking do that shit.
Speaker 2: To the people who are like I can't hear over the singing, well, guess what, motherfucker, why don't you wait a little bit, because obviously the most turned up people are going to be going this weekend, right, why don't you catch that bucket catch a mattinee on another weekend down the road or whatever, Because if it's that important to you, like, you should know that, if you're part of that fandom, you should know that some people are not going to be able to contain themselves. Yeah, and so yeah, like I think I get that. You're like, like, why are these people fucking holding hands and dancing?
Speaker 3: Like you're not allowed to do that shit. But it's a fucking concert movie, ye, Like.
Speaker 2: It's it's there to it's there to be a you know, a fucking substitute for going to the actual show.
Speaker 1: The videos I saw, like the seated part of the theater like straight up emptied out, Like it was just there were like two people in the still seated. Everybody was dancing anytime like, I don't know, you seem to be a real fan of movies. Maybe you should check out this movie Footloose Mayhaps and try and take in some of the lessons. And like I've been, I've been in situations where like a bunch of people are dancing and I'm to, like in middle school dances, like I didn't always feel comfortable enough like to dance when everybody else was dancing, And like if you had put a microphone on my face at that point, I would have been probably like dancing is for doing at home, not in the public sphere. What's wrong with the sheet.
Speaker 3: Up or something? So others don't have to watch this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's just you know that you're you're on the side of like not being fun not.
Speaker 2: Don't ever look if people are singing and dancing and smiling.
Speaker 3: You're an asshole. Yeah, if you're trying to break it.
Speaker 1: Up, especially this weekend, let the people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not like when that whatever new fucking Minions or Despicable Me movie came out and people were wearing like tuxedos and shit and just being a goofy troll like Neme lords in the fucking theater. That's disruptive, but like this, it's a fucking concert movie. People are going to respond to it as if it's a concert. And again you're dealing with a very enthusiastic fan base. What the fuck are you expecting?
Speaker 1: How are you? Like?
Speaker 3: Do you ever?
Speaker 1: Because some people seem to experience movies like like you're supposed to experience like golf or tennis.
Speaker 2: You know where it's just like completely quiet, least.
Speaker 1: Quiet allow for absolute concentration, which I guess is like appropriate, but like I also it doesn't throw Like I like movies so much and I like seeing them in theaters so much, like I'm not thrown off my game, Like I don't need absolute uh you know, silence and focus or else the spell is broken.
Speaker 2: Roll.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: If you saw a fucking bright ass cell phone in your peripheral vision, yeah for sure. Yeah, that's actually more disruptive than like hearing loose chatter here and there. I don't give a fuck, like if it's not sustained, like whatever you have.
Speaker 3: I like to do that shit too.
Speaker 2: I used to love to fucking say witty shit, especially on dates. I'm like, yo, now you got the miles commentary to this movie, and that's like you know what I mean, Like I get it, you know, you want to you want to say, but like just as long as it's not consistent, sustained fucking talking, then whatever.
Speaker 3: This is a different a completely different beast.
Speaker 2: If there was like a fucking outcast wu tang uh fucking concert documentary or some shit, and they like they were like it's playing in theaters.
Speaker 3: I would be in there smoking weed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so, and I don't want to have my rights infringed upon, so I will stand up for the swifties and their right to fucking turn up and throw their friendship bracelets around all that shit, do whatever fuck you want.
Speaker 1: But yeah, just like it's like, dude, this is at home behavior. It's like, no, you're wanting to sit and watch and like catch everything is at home behavior, Like that's that's something you can do at home, but like you can't. You can't be with forty other Taylor Swift fans dancing and singing along at home. So yeah, like I would just let it happen, guys. Yeah, just just just let go and let God y'all, or just like just take the wheel.
Speaker 2: Just I'm sure the fucking energy level. I don't know this will be a true test. The energy levels may be the same this coming weekend too, And then you're like, oh shit, you know what, this might be a problem.
Speaker 1: I mean this is great mark getting for the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will say this though, it seemed like it seemed like every theater had like set like just devoted all of their screens to this. Yeah, to the point where I feel like they're like even when I was looking at because every time I was looking for movie tickets, I would see what the state was of the Taylor Swift screenings, and there were so many that, like, not every single thing like fully packed out, But I get sure then maybe you may have found like a quiet one to enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Oh, they should do quiet ones. They should do like this is.
Speaker 2: I did notice the ones that had closed captioning. Those screenings had less people, Like less seats sold. Oh interesting for the closed.
Speaker 3: Caption Yeah, like the showings of that documentary.
Speaker 1: And finally, Mike Pence is out of money.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: The final FEC filing deadline of twenty twenty three just passed, allowing us all to take a look at what everybody's working with. And you're working with it's not good for Mike. Pence pretty much out of money after raising three point three million dollars in the third quarter, they have just one point two million dollars cash on hand and have racked up six hundred and twenty thousand dollars in debt, making this even satder. One undred and fifty thousand of the money they have left came from Pence's personal funds. Yeah, yep, banking on his own. Yeah. People are saying this is basically a death sentence for his campaign, like he can't even touch twenty or two hundred thousand dollars of the remaining funds because it's from donors who already gave the maximum amount, and so it's like locked up until the general election, which is not going to happen, it would appear, and they've yet to reveal whether or not Pence has even amassed enough donors to qualify for the next GOP debate. You would if he had, you would definitely be this would be the time to release that information because otherwise people are putting many a nail in your coffin and setting you off. I mean, I do think this highlights the most identifiable thing about Mike Pence, which is that he's fucking terrible with money, right.
Speaker 2: So like so bad. That's humanizing in a way. You're like, oh, you remind me just like one of my friends. Yeah, it's like that's not what the money's for.
Speaker 3: They're like, yeah, but I got it from this other job I'm doing.
Speaker 2: I'm like that that's to fucking pay for the job you were hired to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I had to pay dude, I just got this new fucking accurate Dude, you had to pay for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I remember that was a thing like Trump was like said that he could never identify with Pence about is like he's like, yeah, the guys like broke boy, fucking broke man. How's that possible? He is so much power.
Speaker 3: He eats a stake medium rare like a poor person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm sure, like as we've covered before, like I'm sure he will become wealthy as he like fades into a life in the private sector quote unquote advising private equity companies, being on the board, aka, just like getting them access to the halls of power. But it's like, first of all, like so he got in trouble in twenty eighteen, it came out that he had used more than two hundred thousand dollars and leftover gubernatorial campaign funds to pay legal fees related to an email scandal from when he was governor. And then he also, like in nineteen ninety he used campaign money to pay the mortgage on his house, as well as the credit card bill, golf pies, and car payments for mother's sedan.
Speaker 3: All right, Mike.
Speaker 1: His emails became a subject of controversy last year when Indie Star disclosed that he had used a personal AOL account to conduct state business, sometimes discussing sensitive security issues.
Speaker 3: Oh this is back when he was yeah, when he was governor.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, oh yeah, so it was just it.
Speaker 2: Was it was last year from the perspective of this twenty eighteen hour Yeah yeah, yeah, all right, anyways, I just love it was an I love that it was an AOL account. It's a movel on his crap at aol dot com.
Speaker 1: And it's just funny because he was like, his whole role was that he was like the billionaire whispered during the Trump administration, like wh when Trump would like scare the billionaires, Pence was like the steady hand. And I don't know where'd your boys go, Mike.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they know that.
Speaker 2: He look a guy who, just like we say, tries to astrally project himself out of conflict, is not gonna pass any kind of leadership test. Well, yeah, I mean he's he. Hey you tried, Mike. Everyone told you it was impossible, but you still went for it. Man, you still went for it. And for that I got to say, you are absolutely stubborn and don't deserve shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're a piece of shit, man, Sorry about that.
Speaker 3: Real is gonna work out for you?
Speaker 1: Turns out it's not gonna work out. You're There were so many articles like like people need to start resurfacing all the a I wouldn't overlook Pence, or like Pence is a front runner in this campaign right when he announced, because like you know, they were clearly doing the bidding of people who are like he's very safe and would do exactly like whatever, like he was the Koch brother's main guy on the inside. And yeah, it was just it was one of those things, like the the central media narrative was evidently false to anybody who was paying attention. Right, Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you said Mike Pence like the guy used to be VP and is now alienated from every conceivable base of support that could possibly propel a successful challenge to Trump. That that's who you're saying is like a relevant front runner. Yes, exactly primary. Okay, cool, cool, cool cool. The guy doesn't like, like literally shuts down like a fucking computer that's rebooting if if things get too stressful. Yeah, Mike Pence, you're talking about okayunner at the Wall Street Journal.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, God, it's it's just wild though too.
Speaker 2: You see how out of touch the like the main donor classes, like the kingmaker classes, because they really like, I get who they want as president because I, yeah, this guy will play ball and set set my ship in the right direction to make as much money as possible or whatever. But they have no idea what the electorate is like, and they're like, what the fuck?
Speaker 3: Why isn't this guy catching? Like what the fuck? Man?
Speaker 2: He's a jar of Best Foods mayonnaise? Since can't be that fucking offensive? Come on, y'all, isn't it inspiring?
Speaker 1: No? No, it has a fly on ahead. Yeah, it's there's this thing. Uh. I think I've mentioned the idea before that like in chess, my seven year old's really into we get it because the thing, no, he's not, like he just likes chess, but like if it's a real piece of shit to be like really good, they're like, yeah, i'd like probably want to start playing for like two three hours a day. And it's like yeah, well, and and this is where we get to people not being fully developed human beings, is like and also hating the thing that they like started doing because they loved it. But there's a thing called like hope chess that a lot of beginners do that like I've found myself doing when playing chess because I'm a total beginner where you're not playing your opponent like they are a thinking, intelligent person. You're you're setting up moves based on like what you hope they'll do, right, And like I think about that idea so much ever since I learned it, just in like watching how people operate in the world, Like the the idea that like people were like putting all their cards behind Mike Pence, like they're just like, yeah, oh, this is gonna work out. Like they probably have like a fifteen step you know, plan for how to like take over the world. For capitalism, like even more using Mike Pence, and it's like, no, nope, you're just hoping that like somehow people like him, like the inn thing that anyways, a lot of people out here plan hope chess. That's uh, that's my metaphorm. All right. Those are some of the things that are trending on this Monday, October sixteenth. We are back tomorrow with a whole ass episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourself, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Bye bye.