Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal I'll that for me.
Speaker 2: I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 1: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 2: You want to be happy for Dake Edith state is that? Whoo? Whoam and Dan and Tye welcome back to the Soliburbal Boys girls. My name is Ty hilden Brand joining me as always fine gentlemen. You know him and actually I see his face. What's up? He's in the same room as me, a gentleman named Dan Rubinstein.
Speaker 1: Ty, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing well. I feel like I feel like we've recorded a lot in twenty seventeen in person. That's true, We're not used to this.
Speaker 1: No, we've recorded a good amount of person. This is the first time we're recording in this specific place. We are in the Estimanation lounge within the new Vox Media office space, so this is the first time we've recorded here. I'm sitting on a very comfortable suede couch. You're in a large chair.
Speaker 2: This is the most comfortable I've ever been podcasting.
Speaker 1: Really, is that?
Speaker 2: And true story?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Usually when I podcast because I'm cheap, the spare bedroom in which I have all my gear I am sitting on solid wife's old keyboard stool. It does not have a bad You gotta be more comfortable. Horrible ergonomics. What are you doing with your life? So I'm in a chair, it's got a back ki.
Speaker 1: You are well in, You're dirty.
Speaker 2: The other half lived in.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'm living great here right now. I'm life is good. So you were in New York. We were taking care of some business. But we are doing We have a themed episode right now. Yes, we are going to finally, I mean, it's not the Verbiy's, although I think we will get to the Verbies sooner than we did last year.
Speaker 2: At some point. Yeah, last year it was like May. It was it was deep into we push it off until May. We're yeah, that's not good. So we're gonna we're gonna try and get that out of the way.
Speaker 1: So sure, But what we're gonna do right now, and we've talked about doing this, we're gonna score the Fantasy Things draft that we had. Uh it was last summer, last July, I believe. Yeah, put together we eat drafted what like ten different items something around.
Speaker 2: The sheet in front of us here about ten issue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ten or eleven items each and we're going to score it out and figure out on a scale from one to five for each item, how strong each of these items performed for us or not so strong. So we're going to score that and we're going to figure out we're just going to get to the bottom of who is more accurate as for predicting college football things.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right. So the genesis of the fantasy things. If you're picking it up, it's the off season. I want to listen to college football, but I don't know where I could listen to college but you just found the show.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: This was something basically that you and I did to kill time, yes, in the office, and because the people demand it, and because the people demand it of course now, but we did. This is the second year that we did it. And instead of drafting college football players like a fantasy team, I'm uncomfortable with that, you know, instead of doing something like that, we decided how about we put our own little spin on it. Draft storylines. Yes, right, so again the one I'll harken back narratives, as our friends in Long Island would tell you, Yeah, thank you, narratives. But to harken back to year one of fantasy things, I drafted Mike Gundy's hairline, yes, which at the time was a horrible selection.
Speaker 1: It was not great.
Speaker 2: If I had kept it through to this year, it would have been like Ladanian Tomlinson, it would have been to the point where it seemed weird that you were able to predict Mike Gundy's hair becoming a storyline. And I have this problem. Do you play fantasy sports anymore?
Speaker 1: Not anymore?
Speaker 2: No, I have this problem with fantasy sports. Yeah. I do it in football. I do it in baseball. I'm all in on the prospects. But like a year or two early. Okay, all right, so perhaps some of the ones that I drafted here, see I'm always looking pop in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 1: My fantasy strategy used to be, I don't do it anymore. I want to find that Phil Rivers. I want to find that Paul Konerko, so like I would have drafted something with like Howard Stellenberger this year, that he would have come out, come back and made some sort of com Yeah. This was when you look at our teams. There's not a lot of great pics that we made, but there's there's a lot of solid picks here, so we we're going to score this. We are going to just catch up on life. I think afterwards we had it's been a while since we've talked talking.
Speaker 2: We haven't heard hide Door hair for you since you went to Mexico.
Speaker 1: It's sure. I was in Mexico City in Houston before that. What do we do?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: We aired Adam Amean, we did our live show together, did we record?
Speaker 2: What do we do between that? I don't even remember what was our last show? I don't remember what I had for breakfast day? Okay, just making we did our live show, we aired a show that we did with Adam Aman.
Speaker 1: What do we do after that?
Speaker 2: Signing Day? I forget?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I was sick and in the middle of I'm still I'm perennially sick right now. I don't like this at all, But yeah, I did that the signing day show from the Houston Convention Center. So okay, I'm glad that we can just slow down, grade this out and just catch.
Speaker 2: Up the people demanded.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The other part of the Fantasy Things story that I did not tell was that we decided this year we were going to get serious about it. Absolutely because again we came up with this idea. We didn't know what it was going to be, very just trying to kill time. First year, we just figured out we'll keep track on it. Roughly speaking, I'm going to put any real tabulation behind it. This year, the people demanded a real scoring sheet, and we put one together. In fairness, I have a very sophisticated sheet here, and we kept sort of track of it through about half way ye season. It goes up to about halfway exactly, and then it trailed off and as conveniently enough, we were tied at nineteen nineteen. So now we're actually going to go fresh slate. Let's take a look at this and see what happened.
Speaker 1: Do you want to talk about news after?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean Alabama's had three offensive coordinators in like three weeks, so there's that. But yeah, let's do that. So let's begin.
Speaker 2: We got ground to cover. We each picked ten different narratives. If you will, I will start with mine. This is an order of.
Speaker 1: Do you want to go back and forth? We want to go all through yours.
Speaker 2: Let's go back and forth. Okay, First, my first one was Tom Herman coaching rumors. This is my first pick such a strong pick. So if we're grading on a scale of one through five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, five being inescapable. Right everywhere you turn in college football, this thing is there, one being complete non factor.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to go four.
Speaker 1: I think that's right.
Speaker 2: Tom Herman coaching rumors because it was not something you could ever escape.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, so LSU fires their coach early. So there's that Texas has the rumors all year long that actually comes to fruition. Oregon looks like they're on the hot seat all year long, and he has the connection to the West Coast and the offense that Oregon runs. So there were I think throughout the season it was pretty persistent that Tom Herman was most likely going to end up somewhere big.
Speaker 2: I reserve the right to go back and amend this to a five if we go the full way through and we decide that maybe it should be bumped up to a five. The reason I say four is because the rumors sort of ceased being rumors about midway through the season. It was apparent that he was either going to go to LSU or Texas or some other big name.
Speaker 1: Even early on when people were doubting Clay Helton and his future at USC when they when they were one and three, and everybody assumed that they were going to be a huge bus hers from the LA area.
Speaker 2: You knew he was going to go somewhere. There was no need for rumors.
Speaker 1: I think four is right because I think in the middle pocket of the season, with the loss to SMU, with the lost to Navy, I think his sort of Q rating took a hit, and I don't think it was as persistent. So I think four is fair.
Speaker 2: All right, So I'm gonna I actually, I'm gonna keep track of it right in our spreadsheet here, okay, as I have four a four in yep, all right, So that that is you. Mm hm.
Speaker 1: So I took the weekly College Football ranking show as being a discussion point.
Speaker 2: In escapable, unescapable for the second.
Speaker 1: Half five and six weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely discussion point. Mm hmm. This was This was very much a Paul Canerico kind of pick. I think, so disserviceable.
Speaker 1: It was a well, it was a stronger year two because the discussions were more robust, I will say, because nobody quite understood what was happening with the logic involved, why why certain teams were as high as they were or not as high as they were. So I feel like this is in the three to four range.
Speaker 2: I would say three.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll take the three.
Speaker 2: Three. Are we going just integers? Are we going to go decimals as well? No?
Speaker 1: I think we should just keep it into yeah, whole.
Speaker 2: Numbers, good and integer reference. Thank you?
Speaker 1: Y Yeah.
Speaker 2: So all right, I'm up four to three. Baby, why don't we bookend this crap?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Go ahead, you go again. Okay, that's a snake. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: So my number two pick appears to be Michigan State disrespect.
Speaker 2: Yes, so this is going to be a spirited debate disc So here's the question.
Speaker 1: I think you're right, it is going to be a debate. What do we define as disrespect? Because yes, I can make the argument Illinois football disrespected Michigan State this year. I can make the argument that the entire Big Ten disrespected Michigan State and did not respect their previous results.
Speaker 2: In state, disrespected Michigan.
Speaker 1: Michigan State disrespected Michigan States. But I think I have to be if I'm going to be one of the pillars of the Fantasy Things draft and league. Down between the two of us, the founding Father. I think I have to go with the spirit of this pick and the spirit of Michigan State disrespect is Michigan State being good but not being acknowledged rightfully, so not getting their deal. Michigan State after beating Notre Dame, everybody figured it was good at the very least was good. But then they're just immediate downfall sort of ended the possibility of disrespecting how good Michigan State was.
Speaker 2: This was a Ryan Leaf caliber bust right here, right. But we made this.
Speaker 1: I made this pick in July, so I had all of July and August of listening to Michigan and Ohio State exclusively correct. Was there a team in the Big Ten that was probably disrespected like Michigan State had been disrespected?
Speaker 2: I would argue Penn State was that team. Nobody believed in Penn State until it was too late. They kept winning and ultimately they won the conference.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I believe I believe that Michigan State disrespect was handed to Penn State. I'm going to say Michigan State disrespect because of July and August and because of early on in the season.
Speaker 2: I will say two. Two feels about right. Okay, I'm looking at our score sheet here. Yeah, so keep in mind, this wasn't like a normal season. We did this what first week of July ish, from the eleventh of July, excuse me, through Christmas time is what I have on the sheet here. From July through the the third week of September, there were only three weeks where we did not tick a market award.
Speaker 1: Michigan State disrespect.
Speaker 2: Okay, so early early on it seemed as if you were gonna be really rollinated here, right, I would contend to my earlier point. Yeah, Michigan State disrespect could be a hell of a pick for this coming season.
Speaker 1: That's where, Yeah, because you built.
Speaker 2: In a year or two early, they might have had that off year.
Speaker 1: There's so much organic disrespect that's been built up with Michigan State. It's a really good year to get out. They started to and now they beat Furman and they beat Notre Dame and they're ranked and then they lose one, two, three, four, five, six, seven straight games.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Do you know how many non Rutgers Big Ten wins they had this year? It would be zero point zero, zero point zero. So what a bad year? Sorry sparty, All right, all right.
Speaker 2: So we're going to I feel comfortable with it. Two. That brings it back to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do you have?
Speaker 2: My second pick was Bill Hancock's bullshit.
Speaker 1: A pretty good pick given the history of Bill Hancock.
Speaker 2: A good pick given his history, But even on my own scoring sheet only had two weeks where he was trying to spin something. That's really what this gets to. The quintessential Bill Hancock bullshit is him trying to pull you know, I mean, spinning things is very popular day. Yes, Bill Hancock was the original.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you something, I have a little bit more respect for Bill Hancock in this day and age. I can't imagine giving him more than two. No, it's just there just wasn't all that much. There was some spin coming to future scheduling one. I think one is fair here.
Speaker 2: I feel like one is fair here. Yeah, we will get more Bill Hancock bullshit.
Speaker 1: In the future.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but probably when we least expect it. Yes, Okay. The reason that I took this pick so high it was sort of coming on the heels of them putting college football playoff games on New Year's Eve. Right, still, by and large, a disaster, not as big a disaster as it had been the year previous. This coming season, we're not going to have that. Well he has.
Speaker 1: He's like literally a grandfather and he's grandfathered in too. I mean he runs the BCS, he helps to run the playoff whatever iteration we have of college football postseason that we have next, even if it's called the Bill Hancock is definitely not involved with this playoff system system. Oh, who's the executive director? It appears to be Bill Hancock. Hancock is cutting things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so I go one here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm giving you that one.
Speaker 2: Not enough bullshit? All right, let's snake around. We got a lot to get through. I have Jim Harrbass Slash SEC feud as my third.
Speaker 1: Obviously white hot to start off things, whitefall? What do we think about the during the season.
Speaker 2: Kind of cooled off? Did cool off? It cooled off?
Speaker 1: I can't they have an ACC team in a bowl game they don't get the SEC.
Speaker 2: I can't go higher than a two. Okay, I feel like two is the proper score here. Yeah, because it started off so white hot. It feels a lot to me like the Michigan State disrespect, right, But I can't go high than too because it did cool off.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, if we were talking talking about Jim Harbaugh Western Europe feuding, yeah.
Speaker 2: That might be a thing moving forward.
Speaker 1: But he is taking his act away from Florida, away from the IMG Academy. I mean, we'll see what happens with satellite camps moving forward. But unless you were watching the Paul Fine Bomb Show, I don't feel like there was much in the way of going back and forth too.
Speaker 2: Okay, go one and a half. If we were doing decimals, I.
Speaker 1: Think the satellite stuff and the discussion point in August I think gets you at too.
Speaker 2: Two. Okay, it's in the books for two. Your turn.
Speaker 1: All right, this is back to me. I have Mark ricked as a Miami alumnus.
Speaker 2: Did he go to Miami? Went to Miami? Really?
Speaker 1: It was Miami of Florida, the University of Miami. Okay, it's all about the U.
Speaker 2: So it's great that he is now had football coach in Coral Gables.
Speaker 1: Yes, Okay, it is a crazy coincidence. I'm going to give myself a four here. Really, I'm going to give myself a four because you could not watch a Miami broadcast without at least being mentioned once Okay, so that's very specific to Miami games. The problem though, is how many big Miami broadcasts were there, like Big Nash on the national stage, Notre Dame, Notre Dame. Yeah, I mean the Bowl game?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: They ever? He got attention on signing day they signed a real nice class.
Speaker 2: My my initial thought was three.
Speaker 1: Okay, why three? Just because Miami was not in the constant conversations.
Speaker 2: I'll take a three. I feel like a three, but no lower than a three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wouldn't take lower than the three because it was consistent.
Speaker 2: I a way bad only giving you a three for that. This is another tweeer for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was consistent, But how consistently.
Speaker 2: Were we all watching Miami games, that's right, or at least listening to Miami broadcasts or taking Yeah, I feel like that cooled off over the course of the season. See, I'm looking at yours just through three picks, and we got a motor here because we're falling behind schedule. Okay, but look, you've got a three to two and a three. I've got a four to a one in a two. I'd much rather have two threes than a four to two and a one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've got a lower floor, maybe a higher ceiling. All right, so we're gonna snake back around Josh Rosen's twenty eighteen draft stock.
Speaker 2: Rough rough year for the draft stock. He's not even the draft stock king of Los Angeles. I'm not even sure I heard the words draft mentioned in accordance with Josh Rosen after like, well.
Speaker 1: I mean, he was hurt halfway into the year.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no one's even talking about Rosen.
Speaker 1: Serious nerve damage. I think people are much more concerned. I mean, it's gonna be a new offense. So yet again for UCLA, they fire fire Kennedy Palm, They're bringing Jedfish more pro style again, though, I'm gonna have to give myself a one.
Speaker 2: This is a one.
Speaker 1: It has to be a one.
Speaker 2: This is a one. I was all in on Josh Rosen. Two. I wanted Josh Rosen's draftstock on my team.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh man, all right, let's circle back to you.
Speaker 2: What do you got Christian McCaffrey's versatility?
Speaker 1: Okay, Stanford sort of fell off a cliff attention wise pretty early on in the season.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you why I believe I came up with this storyline. I'll tell you why I came up with it and why I picked it. Okay, this is one of those things like Tom Hammond's Random Factory. Just some nervous Time'm using the word tick a lot on this show, and I don't know why. Maybe it's my own little tick coincidentally enough, but it is one of those announcer things that they focus in on that they just they can't get enough of. They can't help themselves talking about how versatile this guy is. This may be another Michigan State disrespect kind of situation where they mentioned it a lot last year. Yeah, they didn't mention it a lot this year because he was hurt. They will talk about it a ton in the NFL now, absolutely well.
Speaker 1: I think also part of this was there was so much off the field Christian McCaffrey stuff as well. He can play instruments, he's traveled, he's a great student, whatever.
Speaker 2: So the versatility did not diminish. What diminished was the coverage of said versatility.
Speaker 1: I might give you a one here, This is a one. I think you're gonna have to take this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a one, A total bust pick here. Yeah, versatility, and he's not any less versatil.
Speaker 1: He got injured during the year. He had a ton of quarterback troubles. Yeah, I'm gonna go with the one really bad offense from Stanford for a chunk of that season. Yeah, I think you got to take the one there. All right, let's circle back. What you got for the next pick?
Speaker 2: Hype for a recently unsuccessful Pac twelve school. Okay, this is a two for Tuesday here. Yes, even though it's a Wednesday. That would be USC and Washington. I feel like I kind of have both here.
Speaker 1: Okay, neither one. USC has been relatively successful recently.
Speaker 2: They had six losses a year ago. That's true, Okay, all right, Washington, of course, you know, made the playoff. They were a great team this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The hype I feel very quickly turned into real world Oh this team is good?
Speaker 1: Right, I don't. Okay, So aside from my own personal energy towards the University of Washington that I tried to generate the PAC twelve, especially the PAC twelve North with Stanford and Oregon sort of quickly, even though Stanford finished with ten wins, sort of taking themselves out. Stanford got completely murdered by Washington. Oregon was a total train wreck last year, while Zoo was pretty good, but nobody really had a concept for them, and they themselves have a ton of hype because of their early season losses. I was at Poise State and Eastern Washington. Oregon State was a wreck until the end of the season. Cal was a wreck all year long. The problem with Washington had nothing to do with Washington, but they didn't have the big games outside of Stanford early and USC late, in which they lost. So after they lost that USC game, people said like, Okay, they're still probably in a good position to get to the playoff. But people this, listen, I'm going to trust you better than I because I am biased as an Oregon fan. Were people enthused about Jake Browning and Chris Peterson and Washington. I think people just sort of accepted the fact that there was a good shot that they'd beat in the playoff.
Speaker 2: They accepted it, and I feel like they accepted it almost by default, right by default, because we talked about it. How many times did we talk about this, Dan, Yeah, it was very apparent last five weeks of the season, six weeks of the season, we knew who was going to be in the playoff, right I mean they were going to have Colorado or Wazoo, and generally speaking, who was going to be in the Penn State. Injection this energy of Penn State into that conversation was interesting, but no, I think by and large we kind of knew that the hype was more than just hype fairly early on with Washington. Here is why I'm inclined to give myself a three.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll listen, because I have you down as a two for this.
Speaker 2: Say three is because there was a lot of late season hype that built on USC. Okay, and now as we enter into the off season at Ross Bowl, it's going to be at a fever pitch yep. I feel like I got in on the coattails there of the USC. So a lot of Washington early, a lot more USC late after a tough one in three start. Yeah, kind of not much in the middle.
Speaker 1: I'll give it too for USC the USC W Like. I feel like USC is like at a two and Washington's at like a one. So because the actual category is hype for a recently unsuccessful Pac twelve school, but is it for recent Pact twelve school or Pack twelve schools? I have singular down here? Oh, I have single down here?
Speaker 2: Wow? So so do I? Wow. So USC didn't have hype till the end of the year. They had a complete vacuum of hype.
Speaker 1: Early.
Speaker 2: We need like the ninth circuit court of a pipe to figure this out.
Speaker 1: Does yours say school or schools?
Speaker 2: It says school, It says school unsuccessful? But it does.
Speaker 1: I correct, it didn't mine. But we're not talking. But is it the hype that we're talking about? Hype could be plural, right, wow, But but the fact that it's hype hype for a school?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: What do you think I early on with Michigan State disrespect, I said spirit of the and listen, you can.
Speaker 2: Go either way with spirit of the pick was Washington right at the time. Okay, spirit of the pick was Washington. So you're thinking one.
Speaker 1: No, Well I said two. You said three. I said two.
Speaker 2: I'll go too, Okay two. It is grinding me down. Okay, Yeah, we got some mad reads here.
Speaker 1: Okay, what are we have?
Speaker 2: Blue? Apron? Ever hear blue? Op? Oh my god, I am actually getting very hungry. What will time mispronounce? It is? It is later in the day five forty four to be exact, in a Wednesday. People will be amazed at how quickly we turn this around. Be out by ten pm, maybe a little later tonight. But I am hungry right now. I could go for some Blue Apron right now. Oh Apron knocked on the door right here and said, we want you to cook up some cashew chicken stir fry with tango mandarins and jasmine rice. I would say, yes, yeah, I'll be all about that. But here is the way this works. Basically, you sign up for a Blue Apron and they will deliver fresh ingredients to your doorstep. They can delivered a ninety nine percent of the United States ninety nine point five percent hell yeah, of food deserts. So no matter where you are, they they can hit you up, make pre portioned ingredients, stand no food waste. Cook together as a family, builds lasting relationships to cooks. That's what they do. And now, how much she thinks something like.
Speaker 1: This costs twenty dollars. Now they're shipping it right to you. That's a good deal for fifteen or twenty bucks. How much are we talking.
Speaker 2: We're talking less than ten dollars per person per meal. If you want a really good meal, it's a lot more than that if you go out to eat, It's true, less than ten dollars per person per meal Blue Apron. They will deliver all the ingredients, everything you need and easy to follow recipes from over what one hundred and fifty local farms, ranches, fisheries all across the good old US of A again, right to your door. They will ship exactly what you need home cooked meals in forty minutes or less, for less than ten dollars per person per meal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's something great about knowing what's going into your food. We all like takeout, we all like going out to eat, but like you to treat yourself right, you should you should create make something.
Speaker 2: In addition to the cashew chicken stir fry which I've already bestowed upon you.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: Oudon noodle soup with miso and soft boiled eggs. Hm. I've never had a soft boiled egg. Really, I have no idea what that is, deliciou, how do they? What is that?
Speaker 1: It's just inside it's not so you know what a hard boiled Yes, of course inside it's just softer.
Speaker 2: It's just not you don't boil it as long, literally softer it is a literal softer boil. Is it runny?
Speaker 1: It's runnier?
Speaker 2: Okay, interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 2: Roasted pork with apple walnut and farrow salad. You know a farrow is no idea, Really, it's sort of it's a grain. It's like a bulgar wheat kind of thing. And crispy barrel munday with quenewa and roasted carrot salad. No idea. What bear Monday is?
Speaker 1: It's bar mundy bear Monday.
Speaker 2: Don't know. I'm not positive it's a fish, a fish type of fish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can get all that. No delivery, absolutely, they'll live and tell you how to cook it. Ty, I pulled something up. Where where should they go for this? By the way, is there a password?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, password is blue Apron dot Com slash solid. Done, Blue Apron dot Com slash solid. You'll get your first three meals for free with free shipping.
Speaker 1: All right, Ty on my computer screen. I'm gonna do this every ting, every single time Blue Apron has an ad read with us. Yeah, okay, I'm going to bring up a food word, foreign food word, foreign food, foreign food word, and you have to tell me how you think it's pronounced. I'm gonna put you on the spot here.
Speaker 2: I made words. So but this is this is.
Speaker 1: This is a baked egg dish from the Middle East. Okay, what is that first word in the recipe headline?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Give me Middle East or norwigin jack Shuka, shock shuka. You did pretty good shock shuka. Okay, just it's really that was the only game. That's the only game. If you have the opportunity to try shack shuke, if you're listening to this or if you're Tie Hildenbrandt or wife Kate, it's very good. Baked eggs in the sauce.
Speaker 2: Wonderful, sounds delightful. I like the picture.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh. The other paying sponsor this evening is our good friends over at Movement Watches.
Speaker 1: Oh, wearing one right now? You are where it is right there?
Speaker 2: I like it. Yeah, looks very shark MVMT watches dot com is actually the u r L, but it's Movement Watches. They were founded on the belief that style shouldn't break the bank. Then started actually a lot like us. Yeah, just two guys. They wanted quality watches. They didn't want to pay an arm and a leg. They figured, let's do it. Ourselves. And so what they've done now is they cut out the middleman. They sell exclusively online. They sold over five hundred thousand watches to one hundred and sixty countries worldwide. You have one, I have one?
Speaker 1: Uh huh?
Speaker 2: You got new digs here we do at the studio beautiful comedies to get this week? Do you know what that? What? How many compliments I've gotten?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be telling I was in Mexico City. We can talk about that a little later. My brother specifically commented, He's like, I need a new watch. And also my brother and my fiance's friend's husband was like, I need a new watch. I love your watch. Where is it from? This is one hundred percent true. He also tried on my jacket. He was very forward about liking my stuff. But it was the watching jacket and it's my mvmcha.
Speaker 2: Fashion Maven Dan Ruper absolutely, so here is how this works. I gotta watch how out I say this. I don't know if these walls sound proven or not not at all. And the they cut out the middleman. They sell exclusively through mvmtwatches dot Com. Their watches start at just ninety five dollars.
Speaker 1: Dan it's a great deal. Ninety It feels more expensive on my wrist.
Speaker 2: Next week is Valentine's Day. M hmm, all right, So I don't know if your bow or your bell out there likes a nice stylish watch. Just consider it. Do it, even if it's not for Valentine's Day. Just consider it. Take a look. They start at just ninety five bucks. That's a fraction of what you pay if you go to a fancy department store and want to buy a watch, or to buy a nice time piece, go to MVMT watches dot com. Step up your watch game right now. If you go to mvmtwatches dot com slash solid, you will get fifteen percent off, plus you get free shipping and free returns. Hell of a deal. Join the movement. Absolutely, it is a hell of a movement MVMT watches dot Com.
Speaker 1: I could not imagine a single profession where if you had to tell me I had to be come a watchmaker, that I would freak out more. I am so bad with my hands and so like to look at a microscopic backing of a watch and like, oh you have to create a timepiece. I would just look at it and as if it were a microscopic lego and go foh no, no, no, I would that would terrorize me.
Speaker 2: Cool little microscopic thing that you wear on you don't want to know. That's why I'm glad mvmt's around so I don't have to do any of that. Huh. Okay, well check them out. Nice watches. Dan's got one on. It really makes him a better person and I can see that visually, yep, seated across. Okay, now we left off at hype for a recently unsuccessful.
Speaker 1: You got a deuce for that.
Speaker 2: Uh that brings us to your pick and Dan, oh man, Dan, do we have a first five? Hear me smiling here? Charlie Strong's Dower Die season was a pick for you.
Speaker 1: I gotta gett. I did give myself a five.
Speaker 2: Oh hell yeah.
Speaker 1: Every single week ends up and this is nothing I enjoy. I don't like when people lose their jobs. Luckily, Charlie Strong was able to land someplace that's I think as good a non Power five job as there is because of where it's located in their recent success at USF. But in terms of consistency, in terms of how much Charlie Strong was spoken of nationally, locally, regionally, I think we have our first five with Charlie Strong Steward I.
Speaker 2: See in Texas. What makes this pick beautiful?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Value pick too, value, pick fifth round. Yeahd damn, you're like the New England Patriots.
Speaker 1: Listen, it's all about value.
Speaker 2: Here is what makes this pick beautiful.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like how you say beautyful.
Speaker 2: I'm doing. I'm doing the Yeah, this is the Trump thing. I'm doing. I'm doing the Trump thing with my.
Speaker 1: So you're raising three fingers. It's an eg now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for the iOS kids, what makes this pick beautiful is the fact that Charlie Strong not only usually do or die is a figure of speech. Yeah, he both did and died in the same season.
Speaker 1: What can I tell you?
Speaker 2: There were moments this season where it looked like he was gonna hold onto the show.
Speaker 1: There were specific drives that were do or drives for Charlie Strong. It was such a micro level pick, and.
Speaker 2: There were obvious points throughout the course of the season where he was legitimately dead. Yeah, then came back to life and then went back to being dead.
Speaker 1: This is true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a five. This would be a six. The fact that they started out beating Notre Dame in the fashion that they did. There was the do, there was the do. Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas was the die. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I mean we've got it all in one pick. So I'm gonna hand myself a five.
Speaker 2: This is not the best value pick though, No, I don't believe it is. My last round pick is is pretty good.
Speaker 1: It's wonderful.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it will be enough to put me over the top. Right now, you're coming in, all right.
Speaker 1: So my second pick here is the internet freaking out over a Southern QB's girlfriend. Okay, who is it? Shaye Patterson, Shape Patterson. We had early on Trevor Knight with the Duck Dynasty. We had Blake Barnett is dating some sort of professional surfer from southern California.
Speaker 2: Blake Barnett.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe not Shape Patterson. Here's the other thing, though, Tye, where I don't think you've calculated, and I'm going to ask you for your consideration. I haven't decided how I feel about it. This is going to be very personal to you too.
Speaker 2: Personal.
Speaker 1: Jordan Rodgers is.
Speaker 2: A Southern QB, but I think the spirit of it is active Southern QB active Southern QB.
Speaker 1: Right, wow, because we are just talking about freaking out.
Speaker 2: You put a new spin on this dance. So Jordan Rodgers was the Bachelor, Bachelor, Winner, Bachelorette. He won JoJo's heart on The Bachelor.
Speaker 1: A Bachelorette, so he was one of many okay.
Speaker 2: Are friends over at my brother. My brother and me would refer to this as a very serious zag that you've done to me.
Speaker 1: I have zagged. So here's here's why I'm not going to accept it. It is about an active quarterback, and it is the freak out is like if you go to like busted coverage or one of those sites where it's just like you have to check out you know this text A and M, this Auburn, this Florida state whatever. That was the spirit of it. So I'm not going to accept the Jordan rod If we were to accept the Jordan Rodgers element. Also, the it's sort of like the object It's like the person being objectified is this is the girlfriend, which is not cool at all, but in the Bachelorette turnaround, in the Bachelorette zag, it is Jordan Rodgers who's being objectified. So it is this beautiful what's her name? Jojo Jojo? So so Jordan Rodgers was the object of JoJo's affection. So I don't feel like Jordan Rodgers was being put on websites as you can't believe who Jojo is dating and pictures of Jordan Rodgers. So I'm not going to accept it put it as a zag.
Speaker 2: This is part of the reason why we're america Most honest college Football podcast. I was voted my senior year of high school most honest. Okay, either that or I'm a great liar. But we're trying to bring honesty here. That's true, and I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I'm just saying I considered it if it was gonna be, if it was going to make its way through, that was a definite five.
Speaker 2: What do we give it? Man?
Speaker 1: I think I don't think it was a needle moving year. As for attention, like if it were a J. McCarron Catherine White year, I would have gone five. Catheryne Webb, excuse me, Catherine Webb? How quickly we forget that's true. I'm going to give myself a three because I thought it was there was the consistent drum beat, But I don't think.
Speaker 2: Anybody really spiked the needle. Okay, So are you good with the three for that? A three feels a little aggressive? Really?
Speaker 1: Okay? But I see the problem is I don't think either one of us really patronizes, patronized or whatever reads the sites that are posting.
Speaker 2: This all that often. I'll give you a three, Dan, Okay, I'm gonna take the three. I'll give you a three because I'm a nice guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Okay. O.
Speaker 1: Man, if only Blake Barnett had held onto his starting position, I would have definitely had four.
Speaker 2: All right. That brings us to me, what do you have an attacking mentality?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: So here's what's interesting about this. The reason I brought this up is because every year there are teams who get a new defensive coordinator. And what does every defensive coordinator, every new defensive coordinator want to bring to the table that his predecessor did not have?
Speaker 1: Can I tell you we are going to bring pressure with an aggressive attacking mentality?
Speaker 2: Thank you? Yeah, thank you. They all want to have an attacking mental bring a lot of pressure, and it seems as if they all say that. Now, what's fascinating to me about this is at least through half of the season, this got more points than hype for a recently unsuccessful school, more points than Bill Hancock's bullshit, and one fewer point than Tom Herman co rumors. This did surprisingly well through at least the halfway point. Hm, I would not have, in my wildest dreams imagine a situation in which I'd be thinking about maybe giving this a four. Okay, but I could probably build a strong case for giving this a four. What is your caseuse?
Speaker 1: This is a pick centered around December, when new defensive coordinators are being hired.
Speaker 2: Right December January. It's centered around that, but it's also center around August when everyone is talking to the.
Speaker 1: Me a new defensive coordinator. Yeah, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: So my case for it is that this came up a lot more in the early part of September than I expected. Okay, with that in mind, I can't in good faith give this a four, But I can't give it a three.
Speaker 1: I think I'm okay with three because if I were to ask you right now, who in December or early January was a defensive coordinator higher that everybody like, sir so going into the season. Bob it was a Bob Shoop who everybody was given us links, was talking about having an attacking mentality. I don't feel like there was a big enough higre as I look across you know, LSU. They keep Dave Veranda, so there is not that huge press conference Todd Orlando. I don't think there was a big word about being more attacking and more aggressive for Texas at Oregon. Jim Levitt, you know, he's a big personality, but I don't feel like there was. Maybe I missed it. I don't feel like there was that initial burst of aggressive, attacking, bring pressure quote wise. So I feel like it was consistent, but I didn't hear it from huge names all over the place. So three feels right, Okay, consistent but not consistent, drum beat but not loud.
Speaker 2: Okay, that gives me three. That gives me thirteen overall.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you've got like one in hand here and you still got seven. Yeah, so you're you're gonna come on top here. This one, I feel could be a spirited debate. Okay, I'm ready, Texas A and M's quarterbacks heads are falling. So this is my second This was a good one. This was your sixth round selection. Yeah, what is the origin of this pick?
Speaker 1: The origin of the pick is both Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray transferred in very short time away from Texas A and M giving them I believe at the time it was just JQ Hubeck, Hubaneck whatever Cubanc and then Trevor Knight eventually used his grad transfer year to move south from Norman to College Station and took over and at least solidified things in terms of depth charts and having multiple quarterbacks play. He does get hurt against Mississippi State. They're going to rely on some young quarterbacks moving forward, but this one peaked early. I think I have to give myself nothing higher than a two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would go I was going to say one or two. Yeah, I'll be generous. I'll go too.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll take it.
Speaker 2: We'll go to Okay, move to you, move to me. See this is where I think there's going to be some spirited debate. You want to go back and forth here? Yeah, okay. Mine was My next pick was Ohio State's attrition.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like this one was dead. I tried to warn you. I feel like it was dead. There was a little bit of action up front. Yeah, people talking about this. There was a little bit of action late, people talking about how much how much of an impact Ohio State players would have on the draft in twenty seventeen. This is a one.
Speaker 1: Here's the problem. I think one is right. The worst thing that could have happened for this pick was Ohio State blowing out Oklahoma. Yes, it was the worst thing that could have happened. And thank you Noah Brown, thank you Samuel Weber Brown. They had a huge offensive game, they shut down for the most part, a very good.
Speaker 2: O' the twenty four years, right, we'll score of that game. Yeah, I mean, I'm with you.
Speaker 1: And what the funny thing is, though, the story about Ohio State, in terms of narratives from my Long Island friends, is the overarching thing with Ohio State this year was what is wrong with Ohio State and especially what is wrong with JT. Barrett, which was the opposite of attrition. So the worst thing was the Oklahoma bludgeting. So that's why I would agree with that. And we made a sound for the baby buck Eyes.
Speaker 2: We had this whole little shtick worked up, and it was proof positive that you can't plan these things.
Speaker 1: The problem is with that pick in retrospect, Ohio State recruits far too well to really hone in on attrition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you live, you learn what was a later round pick. It's true I took a flyer on it. You absolutely didn't quite pan out. All right, let's go back to you then. Okay, this is one I did not keep keep tabs on.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm gonna I'm gonna verify things right now.
Speaker 2: So you picked country singer on game day? Yes, this is a staple. It happens at least once a year. Who who is the guy who just likes every team? Kenny Chesney?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Was Chesney on this year? Do we know.
Speaker 1: He had to have been? But I'm going to go through. I'm going to go through.
Speaker 2: So let's see, that's two thousand guest pickers. Oh, this is not doing it. This is just names. Do we have a good list anywhere on the internet?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure there is. I'm gonna find game day ESPN. We're gonna use Wikipedia college game day locales. Man, I need to find the guest pickers. Let's oh, here we go. I should be able to have.
Speaker 2: So let's put it this way. We don't we don't need to boil this down to an exact science. It's not a one because there's always a country singer on game day, and if there's not a country singer, we could do another bit of a zag and say that it's got something to do with the game day intro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's a guest picker spirit though where is So there's some website called Cole's Game Day Blog. Shout out to Cole and he lists it here. So it was twenty seventeen, twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: Twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: I'm not very good, so I can tell you all of the guests, Okay, okay, So Aaron Rodgers definitely not a country. How many weeks with their fifteen sixteen seventeen weeks? How many country singers would we need for that for it to be a legitimate like three?
Speaker 2: Like four pickers? I would say four? Four?
Speaker 1: Okay. We had Dale Earnhardt Junior, not a country center tangential, but not a country singer. Laila Ali as far as I know, not a country singer. Steve Spurrier, not a country singer. Phillip Fulmer. No, Eric Church is that a country I.
Speaker 2: Believe, so that'd be one.
Speaker 1: So there's one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chain Smokers definitely not, definitely not. Do you like the Chance Smokers. I like one song by the Chean Smokers.
Speaker 1: I think their secret garbage or maybe they're out in the open garbage. I don't know. I don't like them at all.
Speaker 2: I don't think that. I think the problem with the Chain Smokers is that they have the one guy part of the Chain Smokers who thinks he can sing. Chain Steve Chain is that Steve Chang, Steve Chain, he thinks he can sing. But Steve Chain and the smoke, I think he's in it for the girls. But that's just my theory.
Speaker 1: Same uh Rick Flair not a country singer. Verne lundquiz not a country singer. Frank Caliendo not a country singer. Lil Wayne has he done a country duet? Not going to count it, spirit Joel McHale not a country singer. Greg Jennings not a country singer. That's it.
Speaker 2: So it's a one.
Speaker 1: That's a one, all right. It was a very soft year for country singers. On Game day.
Speaker 2: Back to me, yep, I have this in quotations. What do you have this year's Iowa? Okay, this is a one. It's got to be one. This is a one who was there. The spirit of this pick was that there's going to be an underdog team that is going to be referred to no right week schedule, Sorry Iowa fans, but week schedule they run their way through it. They somehow burst into well here was the problem. National conversation on the heels of that.
Speaker 1: The problem was there was a team in their division who was formidable and in it till the end, and people weren't fully sure if they were going to be able to run the table. The problem is Wisconsin is a bigger brand of football than Iowa. So you can't say out of nowhere because Wisconsin's played in a bunch of rose balls recently.
Speaker 2: If if one weren't the absolute floor here, yeah, I would give it a zero. This bad pick, bad bad pick.
Speaker 1: I'm looking here. Yeah, it wasn't going to be you know what, but even Nebraska, you can't say Nebraska is like to come from nowhere. Isn't playing anybody? They played Oregon early on in.
Speaker 2: The traditional blue blood national right championsh of caliber programs.
Speaker 1: Like it would have had to have been from here. It would have to be Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue. I would have taken teams in another conference. It had to have been like NC State something like that. Didn't happen, not a not a dig on n C State, but you know, not nothing the biggest brand name.
Speaker 2: So that's a one.
Speaker 1: That's a one.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Are we going back to me? Back to you locker room coach dancing? Oh okay, who is big this year? So I'm not had coach dancing thing, So you had big speeches. The Dino Babers thing was big, but not a dance. The Dino Baber's speech was large. PJ. Fleck animated inspiring to the Western Michigan team. Row the boat, row that boat. But the coach dancing thing there was a little bit of dabbo. There was a little bit of this. I don't feel like it had this sort of attention that it did the year before.
Speaker 2: So one, I think I'm also going to give that a one. Two straight ones are not good for my bottom line. All right, back to me. Weird neutral site games. Okay, this has to be at least a two. Okay, I could go higher, give me your case. The weirdest of the weird was the game between Virginia Tech and Tennessee at Bristol Motor Speedway or that was a weird one Cal Hawaiian in Australia, Cal Hawaii in Australia. Yeah, the week before the first week of the College Boss. It wasn't just weird neutral site games in venue. We just had like a lot of odd matchups. Didn't Mississippi go or Mississippi State go up to play like Boston College yea, excuse me in it yeah, same same wow. But we had a lot of games like that that just it wasn't so much that they were playing on like a cruise ship, but they were just two teams that you wouldn't expect to be playing each other. True, So I'm inclined to go three. Yeah, I'd take a three because the Bristol Motor speed thing, but that like we knew that going in like LSU Wisconsin just doesn't feel like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel i'd give you more enthusiastically the three. And this is obviously your false. Notre Dame had a garbage season and they where did they play this year?
Speaker 2: They played a weird game in Jacksonville, Army. Yeah, they played a game it was San Antonio. Yeah, I feel like it's a three. I'll give you the three.
Speaker 1: It definitely was a weird year, but like, yeah, it's a scheduled thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, okay, all right back to you. This is your last one, then.
Speaker 1: College stadium is selling beer. I didn't hear a peep about this during the season.
Speaker 2: You picked this one because it was the last pick available, yes, you had.
Speaker 1: I had no enthusiasm for this.
Speaker 2: Pick, none whatsoever. So this is this is a one?
Speaker 1: Kay? Was there were there any good beer stories from the season.
Speaker 2: Dennis Dodd wrote one very early on, very early on about it, but it was not a controversial take. It was were akin to, hey, you're going to see more stadium selling beer. The reason that we put this one on the docket was because we thought, and I believe we described it as such, that there would be a crotchety old man column from some guy in like des Moines, not to single out anyone into moy, there was gonna be some crotchety old white sports writer, yeah, bitching and moaning about the kids.
Speaker 1: So what I really needed for this pick, I really needed one of the stadiums to have like a revolt, and I needed like beer thrown on the field, you know, everybody's throwing their their plastic hands of beer or something like that. I needed that big seminal moment of stadium beer injecting itself into a game, and I just didn't get it. I just didn't get it.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is going to come down to the wire. Yeah, it's unbelievable that it's going to come down to this.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: My final selection was titled second guessing. Brian Kelly went on a lot this season. I think this is we can debate this a little bit though it's at least a four.
Speaker 1: I think that's okay. I think at least a four is good. I can argue three a little bit because of how bad Notre Dame was and how little they were talked about outside of like what's wrong with Notre Dame? What happened to Notre Dame's powerful defense? You know, they have this returning quarterback that everybody thinks is a first round pick. They have this defense that people I think we're still pretty high on considering the talents, even with injuries in the secondary. It felt like it was more of a defensive story, which is not Brian Kelly's purview.
Speaker 2: It was a defensive story. Both literally and figurative true, because Brian Kelly was very defensive. Yes, just as a human being. About where this whole season went. So initially it was the defense, right, they get rid of Brian van Gorter. Defense stinks, Then they get rid of Brian Kelly, or excuse me, I need to be very careful. They get rid of Brian van Gord, Yes, and then Notre Dame keeps losing.
Speaker 1: Right, but not necessarily because of the defense.
Speaker 2: The defense solidified, not because of the defense, but primarily because they couldn't get all facets of their team firing on all cylinders in the same game. They had a couple of good games, but not many because it went four and eight down the stretch. Then it started to become every one second guessing Brian Kelly as head football coach for this football team, will he retain his job now? I can't honestly say, as somebody who follows noting very closely, that there was ever a real moment where I thought they were going to fire him. I do believe his seat has warmed, sure, and his seat is tepid. I still cannot bring myself to a point just in any reality in which I honestly believe they're going to get rid of him. I think Brian Kelly's going to leave on his own volition, if he leaves at all. But there was plenty of second guessing for Brian Kelly. So at a minimum this is a four. It could be a five.
Speaker 1: I struggle to see the case for a five, just because who outside of you know, Notre Dame fans in the last month month and a half of the season, who was talking about Notre Dame beyond like, you know, everybody that beats Notre Dame loses, you know, every Notre Dame sort of a disaster, but like nobody, I don't think people were going super in depth about what was wrong with not They're not.
Speaker 2: Going in depth. But Notre Dame was a laughing stock. They were a laughing stock in the way that Feurig and eight Oregon was not a laughing stock. And I know that because our friends right here at espnation dot com.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's true.
Speaker 2: Friends, Matt Brown, who I love and adore and poke fun at and have no real malae towards. Okay, I know, Matt, Yeah, but you guys even look alike a little bit. Yeah, he was making the Foreign eight jokes. Richard Johnson, another guy whom I adore, who does great work for espenation dot com making the four and eight jokes jokes regularly. You could count all of that tangentially as part of this second guessing. Brian Kelly, Ah, you could if you had drafted Notre Dame jokes.
Speaker 1: That's a shoe in five. I don't think saying, but remember Notre Dame is four and eight is actively second guessing.
Speaker 2: Brian Kelly, I'll give you a four. I will take a four.
Speaker 1: Okay, take your four.
Speaker 2: Here's why that's interesting. That gives me twenty two. That gives you twenty two. All right, let's wrestle. Take off that shirt, let's wrestle, let's jelly up. You mean to tell me that we both finished with twenty two on our own arbitrary scoring.
Speaker 1: So I took three straight singles to finish this out country singer on game day, locker room coach, dancing, college stadium selling beer. You finished with one, three and four this year's IOWA weird neutral site games. Second guessing, Brian Kelly. The problem, the only problem I have with this with your end scoring is weird neutral site games. They don't come about during the season. They don't adjust during the season unless at some point the a venue is changed to something ridiculous because of weather or construction or act of God whatever. I can't not give you a three, but I don't know if that is a thing. That is something that you can either predict or not predict. So this is all a way of saying, let's wrestle.
Speaker 2: Let's wrestle, let's wrest Well, here's what we do. Yeah, we're an interactive tea. By the way, I am perfectly fine tying with you. Yeah, I'm perfectly comfortable losing tea. It's sort of very old school college football of us to tie exactly. Yeah, so let's throw it out. Let's let's make overtime be the foot ballers. Okay, all right, you can write in soliverable at gmail dot com. Yeah, make your case for any of the twenty different.
Speaker 1: What did we underscore?
Speaker 2: Overscore narratives that we rest here? Yeah, all right, we will go back through in the end, I'll give you the official tabulation of how all this shook out. Yeah, and you can write in, you can tweet us, you can facebook us. We will even post the scorecard I'll make a little scorecard up on Facebook. Go on there, go everywhere, and tell us where you think we were right, where we were wrong, but at least as it stands now. Time of recording, six fifteen on what is this February eight, Yeah, Wednesday the eighth, twenty seventeen, twenty two to twenty two. That's incredible, Wow, dead heat.
Speaker 1: Any thoughts on news time.
Speaker 2: I don't have the soundboard with me, otherwise I'd.
Speaker 1: Play yeah boo boo. Okay, So Sarc leaves Alabama after so Sarco's oh to one, Lane Kiffin goes what thirteen? And oh fourteen? And oh Blaine Given's and Fau Sark is at the Atlanta Falcons. Makes perfect sense, total sense. Sarc leaves after game. The word was that he and Nick Saban didn't particularly agree on many things, and it was better for all parties.
Speaker 2: Sabin and Kiffin were at odds. Sabin and Sark were at odds. Okay, laying Lane Kiffin, he lands on his feet, Sark lands on his feet. Nick Sabin here in a sense, has the bully pulpit because he is Nick Saban. Yeah, and because they're on a horde of national championships and continues to recruit well, win thirteen games a season, get to the playoff, gets the national championship, and if you coach for him, you are generally getting an even better job, or even a more powerful job out of it. For me, as a college football fan, I am less interested in Sark going to the Falcons and more interested in some of the rumored names I've heard, as two of the three are offensive coordinators, right, Mark Helfrich being one, chip Kelly being another. Yes, those are the two that I think have the most steam, and them obviously anything involving Chip Kelly is going to pop in college football spheres. That to me would obviously be the most interesting, almost borderline unfair name. Yes, to put down there in Tuscaloosa. Are there any other names we've heard? No, there's it's There was one other name.
Speaker 1: I forget what it is right now. It did not have the same cachet with Bruce prop excuse me. Bruce Felman tweeted, out's Chris God say something like that? But Chip Kelly would be enormous if he went to Alabama.
Speaker 2: Unfair. He wouldn't be there for longer than a year, but he could install something that would reap benefits for years to come, especially with a mobile quarterback in Jalen Hurts. Yes, you know that's sort of his calling card, with.
Speaker 1: A mobile quarterback in Jalen Hurts, who, by the way, Mark Helfrich would also be a pretty big boon, although it is a year with a lot of turnover recruiting wise for Alabama. In terms of the coaches who have left who have been successful recruiters led by Mario crystobaal Mark Halfritch is not necessarily known as a huge recruiter, whereas Chip Kelly, I think could could succeed.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this, Yeah, if we're going to talk strategery here on the show, please, if you are Nick Saban and you have your pick between Hip Kelly and Mark Helfrich George George Gotzi, if you have your pick between those two ex Oregon head football coaches, do you take Chip Kelly because you feel he is superior schematically and also probably an exact body, double exact mind, double mind meld of Nick Saban in his you know how thorough and detailed specific reality, but you know he's only gonna be their year, right, Or do you take Mark Helfrich whom probably at least three similar sensibilities, but will be there a little bit longer.
Speaker 1: I think Helfrich. I think Helfrich because he'll install a lot of what Oregon did offensively. You can recruit without him. I mean, he's still I think a decent recruiter. He's just not He doesn't have the force of personality of a successful head coach at a huge place like Oregon. I just it's not going to work out for Mark Helfrich at a place like that anytime soon. He is regarded as extremely nice and extraordinarily bright, like he is an ex's and o's savant. He's he's easy to get along with, which I think is where maybe Sark and Lane Kiffin were less so. So I think Helfrich would be able with a quarterback, which he's had. He has been a very good quarterback coach when he's had the actual talent to work with, and it was his fault he didn't at Oregon. The Chip thing, it would be very strong for a year, but it would burn out fast because Chip is going to go take like the UCLA job next year or something.
Speaker 2: God for there is undoubtedly a burning desire to go out and get the big fish and Chip Kelly. Yes, I would not fault Nick Saban if he wanted to go that time. I think, yeah, nobody would. Nobody would.
Speaker 1: And it's not as if Chip Kelly went from being a receivers coach to a head coach. Chip Kelly was an offensive coordinator at Oregon at New Hampshire like has that experience.
Speaker 2: It would be an absolute tourd of force if they bring him in. Yep, But there are no bad options if you're Nick Saban, and if you get Mark Helfrich that almost makes more sense long term.
Speaker 1: And who's to say. Mark Helfrich though, won't be available next year after Chip leaves, So maybe you do both.
Speaker 2: There you go, Maybe you hope for both. Okay, is there any other news? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean there's a bunch of assistants leaving after signing day. I know Florida lost a pretty well regarded DB's coach, which is always a bummer because they hang around in a lot of their contracts are like just through signing day and then they take off, which again, kids commit to the school, commit to the school, don't commit to the coach if at all possible. You know, there's always rules changes that are involved with things. Oregon fired another assistant coach. He was in the car with the tight ends slash co offensive coordinator who was arrested for a duy who was let go, and he has moved on this receivers coach who is also in the car. He is now the receivers coach and like passing game coordinator for UCLA Jimmy Doherty. Harbog I was at Michigan last year as an offensive analyst, So a little bit of turmoil there.
Speaker 2: Still, Baylor fired a coach as part of a prostitution sting that he got caught up here.
Speaker 1: Strength coach Baylor, and the report came out about Baylor and it was just horrific. Yeah, I don't know what you do. It's it's beyond the NC double A. Still I feel I feel like the NC DOUBLEA has very little, if not any business meddling into legal affairs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, Matt rule. There's a reason they gave him more runway in a seven year contract.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wonder if.
Speaker 1: It was his strength coach though that followed him from coach.
Speaker 2: It was unfortunate and you know, just oddly coincidental that this would be the kind of thing that his guy would get tied up in down at Baylor, especially given all that's going on there. But I definitely had more than a handful of conversations with some friends who said, Wow, do you wish Matt Rule had had twice about this? Right? I don't know if this would have changed the game. I think he knew what he was walking into. He's a bright guy. But is Matt Rule here's my question now, sorry to interrupt you, is Matt Rule Texas Bill O'Brien like if he immediately turns Baylor into if they go eight and four in twenty eighteen, nine and three and twenty eighteen, like they have a better than expected season. You know, he puts he's a solid presence in Waco. Everybody regards him really well, Like I think everybody regarded Bill O'Brien really well during.
Speaker 1: His brief time in state college. Is it a situation where yes, it's seven year deal, he goes nine and three, he's going to take like the A and M job, or he's going to take UCLA or coach their briefly, he's going to take James Franklin moves on, he takes the Penn State job. Do you think there's that possibility. I'd even thought of that because if let's say James Franklin has another we're going like we're playing dumb people chess right now. James Franklin has another extraordinary season, goes eleven and one, ten and two in twenty seven team and he takes The Eagles fans hate their coach already. I'm assuming they do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's his name, they do, Doug Peterson.
Speaker 1: Doug Peters like Peter they do, Okay.
Speaker 2: Probably only because they have Carson Wentz. Okay, so maybe they like Doug Peter.
Speaker 1: The Giants fans hate their coach Ben McAdoo.
Speaker 2: I think they they like Benett like Ben mcado Okay, let's say, you know, it's finally time for some NFL team to move on from their career. What I meant to say about Doug Peterson is Eagles fans always hate the coach. They don't hate him as much as they would normally because they really like Carson Wentz, right, and they really didn't like Chip Kelly. Correct.
Speaker 1: So there's okay. So let's say, whoever, some I.
Speaker 2: There there is a pre eminent job available in the Northeast. Yeah, is having success down in Waco. I could see a situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe Marvin Lewis moves on the Cincinnati wants to make.
Speaker 2: In which Matt Rule would leave. Okay after two years, two three years, ok As, do I see that? Yeah? I could totally see that. But just a bad state of affairs looks really bad for our brills. I wouldn't expect we're gonna see our Briells in the game, just such scum at any point in time. Yeah, so that's a tough tough pill to swallow if you're in the Art Briles camp, say the least. Otherwise, though, I don't do we have any other news. I think I think that pretty much covers.
Speaker 1: It, not too much, Okay, we have plenty of time this offseason to hit any news we may have missed.
Speaker 2: So again, here are my picks. Yeah, Tom Herman coaching rumors four, Bill Hancock's bullshit one, Jim Harbaugh slash se C feud two, Christian McCaffrey's versatility one yep, hype for a recently unsuccessful Pac twelve school aka Washington. Yeah, that was a two ye and attacking mentality three. Ohio State attrition one. This year's Iowa and quotes. One weird neutral site Games, three second Guessing Brian Kelly four.
Speaker 1: Okay Mine our weekly ranking show. Three Michigan State disrespect two Mark rick as a Miami alumnus. Three Josh Rosen's twenty eighteen draft stock one, Charlie Strong's Doeward I Season five, Internet freak out of a Southern Quarterbacks girlfriend. Three Texas A and M's quarterbacks heads are falling off. Two country singer on game day. One locker room coach dancing, one college stadium selling beer. One tell us who we have perhaps over or underscored. Also, this has nothing to do with anything. I cannot recommend Mexico City enough.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah it is. We've been talked much about this.
Speaker 1: Mexico City is amazing, and I mean the Spanish which helps. I know a little bit of Spanish. But I went with my brother and friend of the show Bill Barnwell, who is the one who found the amazing rate that we went on. It's going I've said this to a number of people tie and it's going to sound stupid, but it's the only way I can sort of put this forth. There is so much Mexican food in Mexico city. There is so because they're twenty million people.
Speaker 2: Never would have known that.
Speaker 1: But okay, every but it's it's not that there's so much in terms of the percentage of food available as Mexican, of course, but side streets there's just like random people grilling up tortas and quesadias and everything like that because there are twenty million people that need to get fed and there is so much. It was amazing. It was It's my new homeland.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I loved I can't wait to get back. I went on a taco tour. I ate, you know, super richly, I ate super poorly. It was everything I wanted. The weather was amazing, very walkable, inexpensive. Again great, great reviews.
Speaker 2: Me this important question, very important question.
Speaker 1: I'm ready.
Speaker 2: I wanted to wipe that smile off.
Speaker 1: Your fathos and takes. I'm very serious.
Speaker 2: All right, this might be our final, okay talking point here. Yeah, show for a long time on the program.
Speaker 1: M HM.
Speaker 2: The first eight years of the program, your plan, if you were ever out on the LAMB trying to escape the FEDS was to grow a mustache, change your appearance, go by an alias, and work at like a beach side taco stand in San Diego. Yes, would you now consider Mexico City if you could get out.
Speaker 1: Of the country, Well, Mexico City, I believe will that's an extradition thing, right, Mexico or Mexico in.
Speaker 2: General, if they can find it, if they can find me.
Speaker 1: I feel like I would stand out more as a gringo in Mexico City than I would in San Diego. And if I'm going to be on the lamb, I'm probably gonna want to fit in a little bit better. Okay, that said, not fugitive wise, I might be able to live in Mexico City. Yeah, I feel like I could get by in Mexico City. I looked at a little bit of real estate down there. I'm not gonna lie, and it is affordable. It is affordable. But yeah, Mexico's not seafood wise, like I was planning in San Diego. That's not where you go for seafood in Mexico City necessarily. But if you are looking to travel in the in the Western Hemisphere, if you look and travel in North America, someplace that's perhaps not super expensive, and you want to eat super well and the weather is like extraordinarily mild, because it's like seven thousand feet altitude. Whatever. Mexico City is great.
Speaker 2: Okay, it is great with a capital sha glowing review.
Speaker 1: We stayed in Polanco, which is a really nice neighborhood, but we walked everywhere. Meet Placido to not made a Placido Domingo. No, it was extraordinary. Really if you're into if you're into Mexican food, no brainer, gotta go.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have one final note. Please, I don't do this often on the show. Serious note.
Speaker 1: Oh by the way, Brady Hoak is also a volunteer. Oh good, Yeah, what is your final notes? Final note? Is I am raising money? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am raising money. Say close attention, very quick story. But my baby niece, Juliana, beautiful baby niece, was born with a congenital heart condition and the fine folks at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Chop as we call it, they treated her so well. They performed a life saving surgery on her. She is doing well, but it is something that a number of other babies have to deal with and parents have to deal with. So I am doing what's called the Philly spin in. I'm going to be up on a bike for some indeterminate period of time doing a spinning session to help raise money for Have you done it before? I have not done this before. Do you know what it involves? No? I am a little concerned that they may need to do open heart surgery on movie after this. I've done it for charity. Yeah, the spin is what is the name of the place?
Speaker 1: Do you know?
Speaker 2: I have no idea?
Speaker 1: So I did this at a place called have you heard of Soul Cycle?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: You've never heard of Soul Cycle?
Speaker 2: No? Oh my god, Kate is shaking her head right now. It's popular everywhere. It's rough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's rough, and it's I'm not going to say anything bad about their intentions because they want to get people in shape and they want to raise money for this wonderful charity. Obviously, it is dark and it is loud, and they yell at you, and it is like everybody there. It's it's a lot of women, but there's there's some men too. It is. It is cult like. Okay, but you know what, you'll get a good sweat in for a good cause.
Speaker 2: You get a good sweat in. It's for a very good cause. Yeah, and it's the least I can do to help out the find folks with a very noble cause here to support cardiac research and care at Children's Hospital Philadelphia. So if you go to I set this up solid verbal dot com slash donate, anything you're willing to donate to the cause would be greatly appreciated. As a group, we've already reached our goal, but we want to try and drive that a lot higher because it's it's such a good cause and it's near and dear to our hearts. So soliverbal dot com slash donate. I don't ask for much, but if you're willing to pitch in a few bucks here or there, it would be greatly appreciated and certainly help out some others who are in in this situation. Yeah, all right, that's all I got time, That's all I got TI.
Speaker 1: I hope to be a little bit more healthy.
Speaker 2: Do we got to get you healthy? I know you've been sick for like four months.
Speaker 1: I don't like this at all.
Speaker 2: All right, well, we got to get some food in you. We gotta get some fluids in you. Get that voice back at your pep back. Guess we will be back in a week talking more college football. Yes, we will do stay tuned to the Twitter feed at soliverbal. We are on Facebook, Facebook dot com slash Soliverbal, and you can subscribe at iTunes dot com slash soliverbal Yeah guess easy, and the website soliverble dot com. Done for that guy literally over there, Dan Rubinstein for myself, ty Hilda Brand, thanks again for tuning in, tweet us, write us, let us know you're out there.
Speaker 1: Say hi.
Speaker 2: Until next week, Stay solid, peace,