Speaker 1: This one mom this weekend. Like I was like, yeah, I grew up like fishing a lot. She was like, what really? Man did not disappointed? Nobody knows things like that about. No, just like shocked that I had any like sort of outdoors experience right right right, Oh my god, huh you I thought. I don't know why.
Speaker 2: I just thought you were like you hung out inside of it.
Speaker 1: Just like a shut in, Like yeah, fishing you you, huh, with a with a rod.
Speaker 2: And and fishing line and the hook with to catch a fish out.
Speaker 1: Of I had a ex girlfriend once be like, somebody told me they thought they saw you throwing the football on the quad at school, and I thought that was so hilarious and like just like burst into laughter. And I was like, wait, what that you would Dane to be athletic? Like that was Jack?
Speaker 2: Yeah, throwing a football out there, just throwing the football around.
Speaker 1: Like and just like bursting into laughter. I was like, huh, okay, how tight of a spider was it?
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 1: A yeah? No, couldn't have been. Maybe that was he throwing around some block bucks, some floppy ducks. That might have been him. Maybe he was like doing a bit or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did the did the ball look like Leonardo DiCaprio coming out of that Lamborghini and Wolf Football Street?
Speaker 1: Was it like that?
Speaker 2: Because if that's what it looked like coming out of his hand, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that I could have been him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hello the Internet, and welcome to this week trind edition of Like.
Speaker 1: Guys, whoa My boys just did something there. I got a little bit of a cold, Miles not ashamed to say it. I got a little bit, and I woke up with the little something in my throat and uh. I love when podcasters come on. They're like, God, you're gonna hear me. I sound so crazy right now. You're like, you don't sound any different from how you normally, although you don't you never catch that.
Speaker 2: Like with shows you listen to a lot, I can be like, they're a little congestion, not fully like I can hear that there are a few clicks off.
Speaker 1: I can say I listened to all my podcasts at three point five speed, so three point five x the normal speed, so it's a little harder to pick up.
Speaker 2: What's the fastest you can listen to a podcast? I can do like about one point eight.
Speaker 1: I don't really I've stopped really listening to podcasts for information, So I don't really do like sped up podcasts.
Speaker 2: Can I just roll your eyes when they try and teach you something?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right. At this point, I'm more just listening to the podcasts for the vibes and then reading for the information.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I do them all fast. Even when I watch like reality TV, I'm watching it at like one point seven X. Really I have like a I have a plug in on my brother because.
Speaker 1: They're so much hot.
Speaker 2: There's so much expository nonsense, like I might get to the trash, like I don't need these, like the garbage, give me the garbage. No, master, Well, my name's Jack O'Brien. That over there is Miles Gray.
Speaker 1: This is the podcast where we tell you what was trending over the weekend. Usually we have regular episodes where we tell you what was trending. Uh, I don't know that I'm talking to new listeners.
Speaker 2: I guess just Bailey got it and we got normal. I don't know, man, Welcome, I guess.
Speaker 1: I don't know, man. Yeah, this is a little more what happened over the weekend. Because we haven't we haven't been in touch with you for a few days now, it's been way too long. Guys, we missed you. Yes, But before we get into the stories that are trending, we do like to let you get to know us a little bit better by telling you some things we think is underrated overrated Miles, what is something that you think is underrated?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 1: God, so many things.
Speaker 2: After this wild weekend I had first up, just random, I got like a lot of short ones, Seltzer flavors, underrated. They're getting better, They're getting better. It used to be like lemon you want, you want grapefruit?
Speaker 1: Do you like soap? No? Damn man. I still remember when I got that pomple moose for the first time. There was something so classy, something so class But now now they're getting me.
Speaker 2: Like I know that a lot of like millennials are driving like the no alcohol trend, like with no alcohol beer and things like that, but also are becoming larger consumers just generally.
Speaker 1: Like non alcohol, like just seltzer juice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're going after us because these flavors, they're like, they touched me in a way, and I mean emotionally. I don't know how why I was trying to phrase it like that. They appealed to me in a way that I have not like had since like the nineties being a child. There's one called strawberry Sunset is like this might be sweet soda, it's seltzer. So I'm already in a little bit better because no sugar, strawberry, Kiwi pineapple, this is just great, right up? Flava apple flavors, yeah, which is it's basically like the good ones to me are basically soda without the high fructose corn syrup in it, right, but the flavors are so vivid, like you're you know, your tongue's doing knots. So shout out those Seltzer flavors. Another underrated thing. Again, this happens all the time, you know. Hurricane Helene happened, you know, and there's I think the death toll is somewhere near like one hundred, probably expected to be more as they reach people in remote areas. But the news coverage again barely any talk of climate change as like the why to all of this, right, and it's it's like so unnerving, not that it has to be like around the clock, but for how little acknowledgment there is to all of that, and like like really but also trying to connect people to like the pain and the ka and loss that people are experiencing on being like in one of these disaster areas, without trying to connect the dots as to how we can do better or prevent this, it just feels very dystopian and just another underrated part of again, how you know, it's what we choose to talk about or not talk about that has a huge impact. There were hurricanes before Miles exactly exactly, and then just generally underrated talking to strangers. I went on a camping trip with a lot of friends and we brought our kids. It was really fun, and there was this dude who had like a fucking gigantic telescope at like one of the campsite, like one of the nearby sites, and we're all like, Yo, she's that guy's fucking telescope.
Speaker 1: Dude, that shit looks probably looks so sick without the light. Bool, Oh my god, what's he fucking seeing?
Speaker 2: And then it was like, why don't we just go fucking talk to the guy like no.
Speaker 1: I'm sure, yeah, I'm like no, I don't know. He sounds dangerous, man.
Speaker 2: But then we're like a guy with a telescope probably wants that shit is out there for someone to be like, hey, you want to look at and Drameda, you know. So that's and like the funniest part was this guy actually ended up.
Speaker 1: Knowing someone we were with.
Speaker 2: Wow, like randomly they used to work together like eight years ago, and they're like, yo, is that you and completely in the darkness, We're like, oh my god, and we all had a great time.
Speaker 1: We got to look in his telescope. It was looked at Saturn.
Speaker 2: That shit, like just looking at Saturn casually on a camping trip on a telescope is I don't know what it is. It was so exciting and stimulating in a way that I just you know what I mean, Like it's just I can't put my finger on it. Being in the city all the time you just become so jaded and with the you know, just the light pollution, you can barely see stars. But to really see them for this city kid, was a wonderful experience. So shout out to Omar with the telescope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that does feel like dead fishing, Like fishing for dead. You just like set up a big telescope and you're like what and watch them flock. It's like that Sands in a hy fit where he's like, I'm gonna peat this song on and watch him all come up and buy some records. Yeah. Brian pointed out, Saturn really looks like Saturn fully, yeah, sad and blows your mind. Yes, It's like, if I had to like draw Saturn, I would draw it exactly as it looks like when you finally see it in a telescope. Oh yeah, And I.
Speaker 2: Think it's the most fun of all the planets. It's the most fun looking one. The rings, yeah, man, miss and I get Jupiter is also fantastic and all that, but like just just the fact that it has rings, I'm like, yep, yep, yep, that's pretty cool. That's then he was like, hey, man, come back around three, we'll be able to see Jupiter. Oh and I was like, I'm not going to be up at three in the morning, but thank you. And then when I saw him the next morning, I was like, did you catch it.
Speaker 1: He's like, no, fell asleep, man. I was like, oh, okay, cool, so we did. Almost if you had shut up at three knock knock, He's like, oh shit, I haven't ascended to the like black Belt level of dadding, where you like wake up in the middle of the night to like see a meteor shower. I just I don't have that in me. I still need my sleep so much. You will, all right, my underrated I also have a couple. Just because you had a couple, I just frantically added one. And also because I just got a text from it's a it's a competition. I just got a text from my in laws. We were having an issue with one of our tires, where like I took it to the gas station added air and it just like didn't it wouldn't take more air. Essentially.
Speaker 2: Oh, every time like the pressure gauge came out, it's.
Speaker 1: Like it was just like, man, this is what it is. Yeah, I don't expect to go up. Yes, yes, it was very emasculating. It was just anyways. Uh, they just took it in down the street and had a massive nail removed from our tire, which is the second one like in the past six months. And I'm just like, yeah, our motherfucker's just out here throwing nails like it's Mario Kart weapons, Like, what is happening? Why are there so many giant nails? On the street at a tire, drove.
Speaker 2: Over a screw and like not even like eight days later, drove over another screw on the same tire.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Hey, when I was younger, I wasn't doing this shit all the time. I don't know what happened, but it feels like now it's the summer.
Speaker 1: Of the nail or screw the Yeah, I blame Mario Kart personally. Yeah. And then my other one is, so I just read this book called The Premonitions Bureau, which is about this actual group, like this doctor in the late sixties who discovered that like after this big massive mining disaster, like a coal mine was like piling all their coal waste on top of like a big hill that was overlooking town, which was not a good idea, it turns out, and it just turned it like liquefied and turned into a wave and like killed hundreds of people, like took out a whole schoolhouse of children. Horrifying story. And like all these people had these like premonitions in and around the town and around England, like right before it, people had like wild dreams where these horrifying things were happening. And so he started this thing called the Premonitions Bureau where people would like send in their premonitions and then they would like check them against fact and they basically like didn't find that many hits. But there was this one woman who like just kept nailing things over and over. She got like a train derailment, she got an air crash, like multiple airplane crashes, and she like really nailed rfk's assassination, like she was like in the yes rf case. She was like, Wow, I feel like this man's going to get assassinated, like and she just she was like reaching out to people like trying to get them to listen to her. I don't believe that there's like a magical thing that is like going into her brain. I think what is happening, Like my thesis after reading this is because like one of the details that is different about these premonitions from like what you see in movies is that like they get a lot of the details wrong. Like they'll be like it's a gray plane on its side and it'll be like a blue plane, you know, like or but they just like have a sense that something's happening. I just think that like what's happening is they have better access to their unconscious mind and like are able to into it when something is going to happen. And like with the coal waste disaster, like a lot of the people in the we're having these premonitions. I think probably because it was like at some level kind of obvious that something bad was eventually going to happen if you keep piling this shit like right above the town.
Speaker 2: Right, I feel like just naturally you're like, nah, that doesn't feel good. If that feels like the bad thing that would happen is all that coal waste would come down and wipe us out. But anyway, I don't know, maybe it's a premonition yea logic.
Speaker 1: And then like in your day to day life, like your conscious mind is like being told this narrative that every it's like, well everybody else is just acting like it's no big deal. So you know, your unconscious mind or your conscious mind like kind of shut it out. But then people who have this access to you know, it's like when you hear a novelist or a songwriter like talk about how their work is like dictated to them by some higher being or like some voice that is like completely outside of them, Right. I think it's that basically, and it's just the conscious mind is like this incredibly vast thing that can be really intuitive and impressive at like predicting things. But yeah, I don't believe that like they are getting like a flash of something that's actually going to happen like through the ether of time. I think it's just that they're wildly intuitive. Yeah, they're vibe it's vibes based, is my theory on this.
Speaker 2: Because you think about like all the research about how little we are able to sort of use our full brain capacity for things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that unknown.
Speaker 2: Makes me a little bit more open to this idea that like there are things that we are actually perceiving with our brain that for whatever reason, we haven't evolved to the point to fully like process and analyze all this information. So yeah, I could feel shout out to the vibers out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, shout out to the vibers. Keep us safe please. Yeah, the you only use like eleven percent of your brain. I've heard that be debunked as like, well, that's just like at a time because they're like different specialized parts of your brain. But it's definitely true that we are only like our conscious mind is just a very small like spotlight on what is actually all the processes that are happening. And yeah, there's a really good book on it called Incognito by David Eagleman. I've talked about before on the show What is Miles? Something you think is overrated? Overrated?
Speaker 2: Just because I was camping over the weekend, A normal vacation trip, I think is overrated because there's something about a trip that takes you into like out of your day to day or your comfort zone that has a lot of benefits to it that I was really not like counting on, just like the amount of because you're out in nature. Immediately, like everyone's phones were like everyone like lost their phone because they weren't using them, and everyone's like, oh shit, my phone was like over here on this random picnic table, like and I just didn't. I wasn't thinking about it at all, even though we had service up there just wasn't a thing that we were interested at all.
Speaker 1: And just the amount of.
Speaker 2: Like talking, communicating, being with our kids and like showing them stuff. It's just a much different experience than like if you go somewhere and like think chill out somewhere like on of you know, whatever whatever.
Speaker 1: Normal takeing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly exactly, And I think just being out of there just like was stimulating in this way that was like really really beneficial that I'm still kind of like I'm living off of that like nature high that you get just from from communing with the outdoors. So I just think, like when we think about what we get out of a trip, like with your family a lot, I think the setting is really massively important because hey, it's like so cheap to go camping and like be outdoors if like you have the equipment for it. And in this way, like you're just we're forced to do something completely differ from with our time that I think ends up being like more personal, more intimate, more just fulfilling. So yeah, the normal stuff a little bit overrated now that I'm like and now I got her, majesty, she's fucking with camping because before she was pretty I get like the little angst around it because you have like a baby and like you know, it's like there's no running water, we have to bring a lot of this stuff ourselves.
Speaker 1: But it was also like really good.
Speaker 2: For like our relationships, like one of those things you know, like just from the challenge of it and overcoming it.
Speaker 1: You have just a much deeper connection. So yeah, shout out that.
Speaker 2: Shut out the the unorthodox form of relaxing, because being in nature and doing it all yourself, I think is relaxing in.
Speaker 1: A very different way. So yeah, that's my counterpoint. My overrated insects are fucking annoying. You were just caping for my underrated last week insects. My overrated this week also insects specifically. Yeah, man, we got we got lit up by a mosquito in my house. Like I don't know if it's like one jaws like mosquito that's just like coming for us. But my son is absolutely covered in like mosquito bites. I hear them in my ear when I'm like about to drift off to sleep, which yeah, Like why have an annoying voice? You're just gonna suck on my blood when I pass out anyways, Like why, what possible reason does that serve evolution?
Speaker 2: Well, you're bullying a mosquito, I do. Why is your voice like why is your voice sound like ship? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Just the worst? Did it work? Did the bullying work? No, it's it's truly not worked. We're being terrorized. But yeah, we went on a camping trip last year and there were all these flies that like just hover around your mouth, eyes and nose that were Yeah, just.
Speaker 2: The orifices are the coolest part for a bug. But I like, I just land inside your ear.
Speaker 1: It's like the door of a club. I mean, they're gonna die again. I have to question your judgment. But you're gonna die if you go in there in my mouth. I'm gonna eat your ass. Okay, you're gonna you to eat it. You would just spit it out. Nah, all right, got to teach them lesson at least chew it up a little bit and spit it out. So is the other ones? No, yeah, there you go, there you go. Also just overrating the safety of the clean versions of songs. H My six year old asked me to Shazama song when we were in a coffee shop this weekend, and it was a song I thought was called neck on Yacht, so I added it. I found that there was a clean version, no no E next to it, added it to the playlist, and then when we got to the car, I started playing it and it's all about getting neck on a yacht. Just opens Yeah, I'm getting neck on a yacht, that's the first words. So and inevitably, yeah, well what is that? What does that mean? I also fucked up and let my other son watch Transformers and now it's his favorite movie and he's walking around like making Transformer noises and like talking about US military vehicles. Wow. I thought it, like, I thought I'd take anything but Star Wars at this point. But it turns out that was that was not a smart decision, Like Star Wars way better than Transformers, oh boy, because it's like basically like military propaganda.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, At least with Star Wars it was like whimsical, you know, I know, you learn about the military industrial complex and what went into.
Speaker 1: Building that death Star and to remove Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell me about Apache attack helicopters exactly.
Speaker 1: Fuck he was. He was like, oh, Chinook attack helicopter. Damn, that's cool, like under his breath, like not even saying it in a bragging way. But yeah, so my one son's at school right now talking about attack helicopters and his brothers at school talking about getting neck on a yacht killing and you.
Speaker 2: Don't let him embarrass himself. But Chinnook is not an attack helicopter. Okay, oh okay, my bad for lifting.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, if you heard me say that, he would be so mortified.
Speaker 2: Let me come over, be like, hey man, I'm like, I let show you some stuff your dad don't want to talk to you, you know about vertical takeoff. No, this is gonna be this'd be real cool.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break. We'll be right back. And we're back. And speaking of good dads, we've got a GOP candidate named Derek Anderson who posted foot on his YouTube channel of him posing with his family. Yeah. So it's wife and three dogs, wife, three daughters. Except it's not his family. It's a family, specifically a friend's family. He's engaged, has no kids, does have a dog, though, which I feel like that makes him what the GOP official platform fucking hates.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, you're wait, hold on, you're a childless, pet owner, fucking loser. Oh my god, out with you?
Speaker 1: Out with you? No stake in the future, Yeah, absolutely not.
Speaker 2: This is it's just so funny too that it's it's so blatantly meant to be like, and this is this man with his family and the way the campaign is trying to fucking pivot around it to just be like, this is merely they said, it depicts Anderson quote posing with female supporters and their kids.
Speaker 1: Is straight up a family picture, Like they're in front of a house, where the implication is it is in the house. Yeah, yeah, it's I mean, who amongst us has imposed for a family photo with a friend's spouse and the children while the spouse is mysteriously absent the husband is missing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like where's the where's your best Why wouldn't he be in the photo too?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean if you're trying to be like, these are my constituents, and you'd be like, and look at this fine nuclear family that I'm posing with.
Speaker 1: Ah, I'm very normal.
Speaker 2: But when you think again, this guy is running for Congress as a Republican, he's got bad like this is this feels like one of those things where when you look at his whole platform, you're like, oh, you're trying to soften your image up because you're an ex Green Beret who thinks, you know, people with a uterus have no right to decide what happens with their body, So what's the next best thing to be?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: And I too hang out with uteruses, and here they are iris them.
Speaker 1: Check out my collection of you to I when your weird opinions on women can't be laundered as being pro family values, like this is what you have to do. Unfortunately, in this case, his strategy for sending that message would, in any other circumstances imply that he was going to straight up Dicky Greenleaf, you know, murder his friend and take over his life in account of mister Ripley. Yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 2: So this is this was like a debate like recently where he was just asked, very straightforward, mister family Pictures guy, what's your take on, you know, the women of Virginia having the right to make decisions about their own bodies.
Speaker 4: I want to piggyback because we still have a little time, so I want to make sure we're absolutely clear.
Speaker 1: Do you support a woman's right to choose?
Speaker 3: Yes or no?
Speaker 4: I support the states to be able to make those decisions at best fits.
Speaker 1: So something. Do you support a woman's right to choose?
Speaker 4: Look, I answered the question twice now, I've said it twice now, and I've said that each state is going to have to make determination.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it. That's the kind of dad. I'd also learn to dad. Yeah, Dad, kent, Dad?
Speaker 2: Can can I have this thing for dinner?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: I think, but that someone else should decide that.
Speaker 1: Therefore, it's look.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to say no, so I'm gonna just toss it up to some other weird obscure concept.
Speaker 1: Kermit ass voice on that guy too. Yeah, that is a kermit ass voice. Not what I was expecting from a Green Beret. Probably not. They're probably not his voice out there. Here's a free here's a free tip tip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, free tip to the people running the campaign against him, just like I get the heinous political views he has. Just start bullying him with that kermit ass voice, like Derick Anderson has a kermit ass voice.
Speaker 4: Well, I believe one day that the women should be able to decide.
Speaker 1: What this man says. He was a Green Beret. That ain't no green Beret voice I ever heard? It's green? Is it? Kermit bitch?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry to green beret?
Speaker 2: Was that part of the fucking Muppet military? My man?
Speaker 4: Okay, here I am on another mission, waiting to arm poor people in the name.
Speaker 1: Of American imperial anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kermit ass voice, Yeah, Wow's voice?
Speaker 1: All right? Speaking of American imperialism. Let's get into Donald Trump's weekend and Israel's strategy of escalate to de escalate, right, which seems cool and probably hard for me to follow.
Speaker 2: The logic of that, Yeah, is that like a get up to get down kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Gotta gotta get up to get down? I don't know. Yeah, I mean they are massing at the border ready to invade. It's truly no end in sight, Like it's unclear where any of the war crimes and just unilateral attacks will end. Their current policy claims to be do more violence to create a more peaceful future. But yeah, there's a good jack of an article about just this idea of escalate to de escalate, where the piece that they envision seems to be like the total capturing capitulation of the people they are fighting. And we've seen what they do to people who are under their control, Like, right, they create an apart that state.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with like just the logic too of like you know, we want to make sure that the displaced people are able to return. That's why it's really important for us to have like these incursions into Lebanon. Yeah, and like you said, there's like tanks amassing at the order. A lot of people are wondering what the endgame is because you know, over the weekend, uh, they they killed like the leader of Hesbeola, Hassan Nozraala, in like a like a strike that like flattened six buildings. Again used I thinks they the reporting says, using US produced bunker busting bombs with hundreds of innocent people killed.
Speaker 1: It's including women and children.
Speaker 2: It's just like a really, it's just replaying over and over and now we're seeing the same thing where it's like, well, now Israel thinking about very limited ground incursion or mission but very limited, very limited, very limited in scale, and knowing how that turns into something much wider and much more disastrous. But yeah, like I think the Biden administration was like it seemed like a just action to take out the head of Hesbola.
Speaker 1: But then they also.
Speaker 2: Say, but we're also concerned of something spiraling out into something wider. You said that about Gaza, and then the just then they started getting way more aggressive in the West Bank, and then now we're talking about Lebanon. So with all this stuff of like, well, the expansion, we don't really want it to spiral out of control is just it's all rhetoric.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's it's a very spiraling I don't know what you want, but it does appear to be that spiraling like the one which was tumbling end It actually is more like that. It's tumbling end over. And the policy of using harsh words while still giving them all the weapons they want doesn't seem to be working. I was reading a New Yorker article on the Uncommitted movement and they pointed out, like, so a lot of people are comparing this moment in this election to nineteen sixty eight, because you know, that was the election when the Democratic incumbent LBJ bailed on reelection because he was very unpopular, at least like largely due to, you know, his role in exp a horrible genocidal war in Vietnam, and they were left with lbj's VP to run for president and they lost to Nixon. And like, my historical memory of that election is that the big issue that drove that election was Vietnam. Like that was the election where like Nixon like made it seem like he was the only choice for peace. And this article made the point that actually the war in Gaza is less popular than the Vietnam War was at that time, Like the current war in Gaza is actually less popular than the Vietnam War in nineteen sixty eight. And we have both sides just being like, yeah, what are you going to do? Essentially right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well yeah, we'll see if it agains spiraling, because I mean, everyone forgot to mention like Yemen and Syria, like it's not just like Israel.
Speaker 1: Is going everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah and yeah, and I think a lot of people are just looking at what is the endgame here?
Speaker 1: And then what happens?
Speaker 2: What's the United States role now in this new front that's opening up?
Speaker 1: But it seems like at the moment.
Speaker 2: Our role is our our supply of weapons and munitions.
Speaker 1: So god, yeah, maybe, yeah, we'll see, We'll see.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe we'll get another thing where Joe Biden says, hey, man, I'm really pissed.
Speaker 1: About what's happening. I'm I'm gonna say, I'm gonna I'm frickin peeved over here, I am dude. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, yeah, just the violence continues, So please please do something different, Kamala Harris, where you can you just articulate something just slightly different.
Speaker 1: Maybe run away from Biden's horribly unpopular record on this war instead of like just staying close to it. Meanwhile, in other the cruelty is the point news, The cruelty is the point. Brothers Netahu and Trump Trump spent the weekend calling for basically a real purge, but also people are pointing out it basically Crystal Knot is also the way more fucked up and genuinely terrifying reference point. But Trump suggested putting Mike Kelly in charge of quote one day of violence that would put an end to crime or even one rough hour. The world will get it out and it will end immediately, end immediately. You know, it will end immediately, folks. So yeah, a lot of people were like, that is the purge, right, right right?
Speaker 2: You're saying one day where there are no rules except to do as much violence to try and put people off of doing anything bad to you. Is that that's kind of what we're talking about here. Yeah, And like to your point, because we're so like our sense of history is so skewed, people are like, the purge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what it's gonna be. Yeah. Noah Burlatski was the first one that I saw on Twitter pointing this out where someone was like Trump is literally proposing the purge, lmao, and Noah Brelatski was like, he's not proposing the purge, He's proposing crystal knock. This is one of those cases where I'm afraid that the fictional fascism has overwritten the actual fascism in unhelpful ways. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean it sounds like, again, you're sure it's like the criminals, but we all know that's like coded for like marginal communities. And then what so if you if you burn down a town or something and terrorize black and brown people, they'll knock it off with the crime.
Speaker 1: That's the logic.
Speaker 2: So the root cause of people stealing or whatever is because they're just not sufficiently scared enough. It's not has nothing to do with like the resources.
Speaker 1: Available to them. Okay, they're not scared enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they're not scared enough.
Speaker 1: That is the theory of the case.
Speaker 2: That sounds like the Fred Trump school of parenting probably is just like yeah, man, man, like you just got to scare the shit out of your kids. Man, make the think you're a monster, and then they'll I think I think they'll be Okay.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't really talk to them. Uh Noberlaski goes on to point out like that what Trump is proposing is not funzies for everybody gets to go do it. It's a police, the police being empowered to murder marginalize people. So, yeah, he's said a lot of wild shit this weekend. Yeah, his rhetoric. Yeah, over the weekend. He also, in a different speech said about immigrants, they will walk into your kitchen, they'll cut your throat. Small towns in America are terrified of migrants coming in and even when they haven't arrived, they're terrified they will rape, pillage, thief, plunder, and kill the people of the United States of America.
Speaker 2: I'm always like, where's the bottom for this rhetoric, you know what I mean? And then it's just now it's just saying like they're literally gonna kill everyone in the country and slit your throat and do all kinds of terrible things to you, untold things, and that's that's my poly see.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Then he was also saying like Kamala Harris was mentally disabled, or maybe Biden was mentally disabled, and she she's like she was.
Speaker 1: Born that way.
Speaker 2: Just really fucking awful shit just for the sake of just being as awful as possible. But I don't know, is that I don't know if that's a winning strategy.
Speaker 1: Don't the spooky scary show does seem to always work out for him, like when he just triples down on the worst impulses of the people who support him, like he seems to garner more support as everyone was like, well, surely this is the end for him, right, Yeah, I don't know. Like I got a fundraising email from mother Jones this morning calling him like a felon with an authoritarian leanings. I don't think we need to say like leaning anymore. Yeah, I think he tumped over into full authoritarian aspirations. Should we say? Yeah, right, yeah, right exactly.
Speaker 2: It's like, well, just because he hasn't done the thing doesn't mean he doesn't want to. And that's what he's representing.
Speaker 1: He's he leaned for a long time. I think I think we're all the way over now. Oh yeah, let's uh, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and we're back. We're back. And what else? What else is in the news? Megalopolis came out?
Speaker 2: What you like thumbing through a newspaper. Ah, what else? What else?
Speaker 5: What else?
Speaker 1: What else? Baby? Yeah? Meg, So this is the we do have to see it before, and we're gonna have to see it in the next couple of days because that ship is going to be vanishing from theaters. So the number one movie at the box office this past weekend was The Wild Robot, which people seem to really love. I'm going to be taking my son to see that and just trying to get him have a cinematic experience with a robot that doesn't have machine gun arms and work for the Pentagon. So it did well. People seem to really love it. It's got like a ninety eight percent of Rotten Tomatoes that made thirty five million. On the other end of the spectrum, Fransis Horcopola's Megalopolis made four million dollars. He self financed it using one hundred and twenty million of his own dollars, and it was a movie that had obsessed him for years, so he just like, you know, spent. I don't think he was like, this is a smart business decision. Yeah right.
Speaker 2: I'm sure people were like, you're going to sell your wine business to make this pilot crap.
Speaker 1: It's still pretty a pretty dire outcome. One of the questions we had heading in this This was a movie where during the con on screening, there's a moment where Adam Driver's character is doing a press conference taking questions from reporters in the film, and then a real life human in the audience stands up and asks a question and everyone's like, what the fuck. So that happened in one or two screenings, but for the most part they just had it replaced by voiceover from a reporter in the movie Coward. I will be at any screen that I go to. I will be playing the role. I'll have a Derby cap with a press card in it, but will otherwise not be in costume.
Speaker 2: Just screaming above, like just trying to perform for everybody. You're like, grab the keys, getting a freaking truck.
Speaker 3: JIBRONI, I'll slap your GERRONI, John, what does this guy saying?
Speaker 1: So our writer JM went to see this movie. He said, for I guess he got one of the screenings where the actor is interacting with Adam Driver and he said, it just wasn't that interesting. A dude just walks up on stage asked him a question during a press conference, and then that's it doesn't really go anywhere. He also so he said the movie is bafflingly bad. Most of the time. Jam has a really good taste of movies. This clip is a good representation of how the whole thing feels. Should we just play the audio from this? It's it is wild. Yeah, this scene is just so strange, the performances. It's the scene you might have seen it because there is a part where he's like, go back to the club and yeah, yeah, yeah, well here.
Speaker 5: You want to help me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So just sitting at a table fantastic spread.
Speaker 5: And you think one year of medical school entitles you to plow through the riches of my Amazonian mind?
Speaker 6: Entitles me yes, entitles me entitled Yes, you have no idea about me? You think I am nothing, just a socialite?
Speaker 5: No, not nothing, But I reserved my time for people who can think about science and literature and architecture and art.
Speaker 1: Dude, I can't help shit, it's so bad. He just has the biggest fucking like sharkyutery board in front of him for some reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I mean, it's like it's sort of like I get. I get that it's so maximalist, like it's the kind of evoking some kind of painting of uh, you know, like a king or something with just an infinite amount of food, uh set before him.
Speaker 1: But just like the pace of the.
Speaker 2: Dialogue, I haven't even the first time I've actually seen something a little bit more than the trailer, And I'm like, why are they talking?
Speaker 1: Like are they talking so slow? And like why did why does the music like make it feel like a fucking telenovella and it just feels weird and like badly. Yeah, Like it feels like a bad student film. Later in that scene, which it is physically impossible to get to, I just started later is how I got to. That's physically impossible to watch the whole scene. But she like accuses him of manipulating the laws of physics and he's like what, and then like he suddenly is like interested in her, and then Laurence Fishburne like appears next to him for some reason, like whoa, yeah Morpheus? All right? So yeah, man, pretty cool. I do feel like, well that is so weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just thought that camera moved like a conversation ends and then they just paner like they just pan it over and he's standing next.
Speaker 1: It's been standing there the whole time, just like the blocking was bad and that's the reveal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, isn't it like fucking seventeen hours too? Maybe maybe I can't see it in the theater. Oh that clip took a lot of the wind out of myself.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna lie. Yeah, this ship up. Yeah, it's like to the bar, I'm like getting angry bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Well about that gang, if you've lived, if you've seen it, please let us know.
Speaker 1: I'd love to hear. Yeah, I would love to hear a positive read on the movie. If people, if somebody like you know, took too many mushrooms and went and saw it or something, yeah.
Speaker 2: Or they're like, it's no, it's actually so bad. It's funny, go go see it because it's so bad unintentionally, but it feels like right now it's feeling so bad.
Speaker 1: It's it's bad meaning bad Yeah, bad bad. M hmm. All right. Other Big News Uber will now deliver bad Halloween costumes to you. They're partnering with Spirit Halloween. So if you're not wanting to visit the bleak husks of your once favorite retail centers or bank or bank you know, now you can just have the costumes brought to you. Just does feel like an idea that will make sense, Like people will use this, right, nobody likes going to the Spirit Halloween places or not. Isn't that I like it? But like I feel like a lot of people are probably like they're just going to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nobody's checking for door dash Spirit Halloween cut. Like the whole point if I ever get a costume, I want to go to the store because then you see something different.
Speaker 1: You're like, I thought I was going to be a construction worker, but yeah, a spooky pimp. Yeah what this idea sucks? I was wrong, but no, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Like, I think just generally that is the sort of the only reason to go into a Spirit Halloween Like it's because it's Halloween. You're like, hey, we walk around all the spooky fuck is shit cheap shit. It's ideas, because if you're buying an uber bag costume, you're either like a panicked like single dad divorcee who like forgot about Halloween or something, or just some other I don't know, I don't know who this person is to be honest ship. Yeah, my most cynical about Halloween or like not really feeling, you know, like always up to dress up.
Speaker 1: I like to. I like to go into a spooky store, goes as Travis Kelcey, but like doesn't have a Taylor Swift to go with him. Just pause the group costume, but it doesn't have anyone to wear the Taylor Swift part. That's the sad dude.
Speaker 2: That'd be the saddest picture is you and your Travis Kelcey and then you just lay out the Taylor Swift clothes next to you and you're.
Speaker 1: Like wanted what you're playing? Yeah, oh my god. Anyways, that I think I might have to go as Travis kelce for Halloween. No tailor, no tailor, just Travis kelsey What. I just really like Travis Kelcey. What he's dating someone I actually wasn't aware. Okay, he has been pretty shitty this year. Maybe that's why. Anyways, those are some of the things that are trending on this Monday, September thirtieth. We are back tomorrow with a whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about White's polacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow. Bye bye,