Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is alive from coast to coast with Caroline Hide in New York and Eva Low in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech coming up in video. Plans to invest one billion dollars over five years in a new lab with Eli Lilly to speed up the use of AI in the pharmaceutical industry.
Speaker 3: Plus paramount sues Warner Brothers Discovery, and plans to nominate directors to the board as it's increasingly hostile. Takeover bid takes aim to upset Netflix.
Speaker 2: An alphabet breaches four trillion dollars in market value. This is CNBC reports Apple has picked Gemini to power Siri this year, and.
Speaker 3: Then those moves fall again, and really we've got anxiety across the market's more broadly aired digging into the market implications of what seems to be a dialing up.
Speaker 4: In the administration's fight with a FED.
Speaker 3: That is what the market tries to digest and why we see a bit of a sell America theme at the moment. Yes, they're small moves in terms of benchmarks for stocks were down by a tenth of a percent on anastat one hundred, but we're seeing bigger moves when you're looking what's happening in the bomb market. In the dollar, for example, we're seeing thirty year years once again, pushing up two basis points, seeing the dollar on the downside. All of this as we try and bake in the macro implications. We look to CPI tomorrow, but you're looking at what's underneath the hood right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the big breaking news of the last hour is that Apple has selected Google's Gemini model to power serri this year. Reporting from CNBC citing an Apple's statement, and you can see a big reaction in the stock the moment the headlines hit, it has faded.
Speaker 5: I'll take you back to.
Speaker 2: November when Bloomberg's Mark German reported that a deal was very close, that Apple would pay Google one billion dollars per year and that this was just an interim until Apple could get its own foundation models together, but or continue to track that story. Another interesting trends action in the market this morning Nvidia co investing one billion dollars with Eli Lilly into a Silicon Valley based lab split over five years. AI Pharmaceuticals for the details are interesting here, Cara and we.
Speaker 3: Want to get those details, and we can do exactly that with Katie Greifeld, which is over at the JP Morgan Healthcare Conference, indeed looking at Silicon Valley, getting ever closer to the world of health.
Speaker 4: Katie, what'd you make of this deal?
Speaker 6: Yeah, this was a really interesting headline to wake up to, especially when you remember that Eli Lilly partnered with Nvivia back in October to develop an AI supercomputer. So the details on this specific deals as you guys run through them. One billion dollars OVERFI fears to build a facility in Silicon Valley, basically a new lab. We don't have much details when it comes to the terms beyond that, but both companies have described this as a joint investment. And I just actually spoke to the CFO of Eli Lilly, Lucas Montarge, about what the ultimate vision is here when it comes to AI and healthcare and this specific partnership, and he said, this is really about drug discovery. It's still early days, of course, they haven't built the facility yet, but the hope is that this will help basically in discovering drugs to really target and treat those really hard to treat diseases. Think gene therapy for example. So again early days, but some big ambitions.
Speaker 2: Here Bloomber's Katie Greefelk just down the road at the JP Morgan Healthcare conference all day long here in San Francisco, less than two weeks into the new year, and in Video is already dominating the news flow. I want to get to Denny Fish, portfolio manager on the Global Technology an innovation team at Janis Henderson and the Frank Reality visit. In video is the top holding across a number of funds that you manage. What do you make of that relationship between in video and ELI.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well it actually it makes a ton of sense to me.
Speaker 8: I mean, if we think about what's grabbed all the attention over the last three years since the chat ChiPT moment, it's effectively been the idea of the digital manifestation of AI. But the reality is, if we think about the profoundness of how this will impact the economy over time and society more broadly, the physical manifestation of AI is as big, if not a bigger opportunity. And if you think about drug discovery and what that means for society, and then just think about how far we've come with autonomous driving, where we're going with robotics. They are all these different verticals where it makes a lot of sense for Nvidia to be leaning into. And frankly, in Vidia has got some of the most the best talent in the world and to see these partnerships with market leaders makes a ton of sense.
Speaker 7: And you know, I bring it back.
Speaker 8: Sometimes you get this argument of circularity, but the reality is, if you're Jensen and you have a firm belief at just how big these market opportunities are, you should be leaning and hard to this intment co investments into labs like they're doing with Lily, or direct investments into companies like they're potentially doing with Open AI.
Speaker 2: We a let's one of miss driving. A lot of people get it. I wrote about it extensively this weekend. We're going to talk about it later in the program. The go to market in the first instance is for Mercedes that we use hardware and software. But with pharmaceuticals drug discovery research, what is the go to market that then video is going to pull off in the future.
Speaker 7: Well to the so so far.
Speaker 8: If we think about pharmaceuticals, where we've seen the early benefits of AI have been in things like the clinical process, you know, getting drugs that have already been discovered through that process, internal efficiencies, marketing, things like that. The real, you know, the big prize out there is drug discovery. It's finding solutions to problems that we just couldn't get there without AI or would have taken much much longer. So the go to market is actually direct partnerships with these companies to fast forward the discovery process.
Speaker 4: Denny.
Speaker 3: That speaks to the broadening out that we're starting to see the market. We're also going to talk about that the fact that we are seeing the S and P five hundred actually doing a bit of a challenge in terms of returns versus some of the mags seven names. How much does it mean that we've already juiced the valuation side of the equation for in video or is AI infrastructure still going to be the key watchword for twenty.
Speaker 8: Six Well, so far, all the data points would suggest that the investments into AI infrastructure are going to continue to be quite robust, and we would fully expect that, and you know, and so far, you know, I just looking back, you know, I mean Ed was talking about alphabet earlier in the relationship with Apple. Just watching the leap frogging effects you know with you know, open Ai and Xai and Gemini, that's very healthy and as long as we continue to see that. And then bringing back to you know, in Vidia and VideA now is you know they announced last week Ruben is fully in production that is going to have materi aerial impacts as it relates to inference. Productivity versus training and inference is the next big handoff. And so if you're a believer that we are now in this period where we're going to start seeing increasing deployment of these applications, inference is going to go through the roof and as a result, that's going to continue to sustain the investment profile.
Speaker 7: So we expected to be pretty healthy.
Speaker 8: Now, I will say when you're talking about the broader SMP five hundred, I mean one of the thesis that we've had for the last three years as AI has really started to take hold, is this is going to be very impactful across all industries. And if you believe that, and the companies that are able to get revenue lift because of deployment of AI, but then at the same time are able to drive cost efficiencies that should be pretty good for multiples. So I'm not surprised to see the market, you know, sort of anticipating of sorts, some of the benefits we might get from AI.
Speaker 3: The market's all allo got more discerning on who has to pay for the AI of structure and what that costs in terms of debt. Denny, I'm looking at again yet another number, three trillion dollars, this time coming from Moody saying how much the data center infrastructure build out is going to cost up until twenty thirty. I mean, McKinsey had already put seven trillion dollars on that number. But is there a worry as to who has to actually pay for it?
Speaker 7: Denny, Well, of course there is.
Speaker 8: You know, the good news is the majority of this is being funded by the hyperscalers, and they generate the free cash flows to actually be able to fulfill the commitments that they've made. And they're all playing the twenty year game. I mean, we've just seen that with you know, the number of you know, power agreements they're being struck between you know, Meta and Google, Microsoft and others, and so we feel pretty good there now. Now clearly, you know, the debt markets are going to have to remain healthy.
Speaker 7: We're going to have to continue to see a.
Speaker 8: Progress as it relates to you know, you know the ambitions of these companies, but there's also something else too. You know, when you look those numbers, there's also a lot of double counting in it. You really have to parse it back to get to the real meat of what's necessary. And then you know, also there are natural governors at just how fast this can get deployed. So the deployment of the capital is going to be pretty measured. And that's what makes this very different than say the dot com era, where so much capital came into areas like telecom infrastructure so fast and it was very easy to get that stuff deployed.
Speaker 7: This is hard.
Speaker 8: You look at what's going on at Stargate and Abilene, Texas and trying to put up ten gigawatts, the labor that's needed, the power, just the expertise, and you know, it's a heavy lift, and so that it'selfs a natural governor on just how fast it can get deployed.
Speaker 2: This is what we were trying to pass at CES last week. The baseline assumption very quickly, Denny, is that demand still outstrips in video and AMD's ability to supply. How does that set us up for this year?
Speaker 8: Well, that's good for infrastructure, you know, because you're in a situation like that, and even a TSMC for example, we're second topic.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, where you.
Speaker 8: Know, you only have so much capacity and you can only bring up incremental founderies so quickly, and so as a result, that's really good from a pricing standpoint, particularly when you're the only game in town, and for certain aspects Nvidia is still the only game in town too.
Speaker 3: Denny Fish Janis Henderson Investors. Great to have you on all the games we are coming up. Paramount in ram sub efforts to caught a plan merger between Warner Brothers Discovery and Netflix.
Speaker 4: The latest in the media merger saga. That's next. There's a bloom Beg Tech Paramounts guidance.
Speaker 3: Well, it says it plans to nominate directors to Warner Brothers Discoveries board to vote against the approval of a merger with Netflix, of course, and the company has filed a suit to force Warner Brothers to disclose information about the proposed Netflix Warner Brothers tie ups entertained a reporter Pholix Jillette joins us on what is an ever more hostile potential takeover?
Speaker 4: So suing for more information? What do they want to really demonstrate to invest us here?
Speaker 9: I mean, at this point, you know, they're choosing to raise the hostility versus raising their bit Yes, and I think you know they've been campaigning shareholders join our tender offer. You know, they've said for weeks now our offer was better than the Netflix offer, accusing you know, the Warner Brothers board of not being transparent during the proceedings. And now they're making this move to essentially say, you know, you have to provide the information to shareholders so they can judge which is a better offer. And to do that, you know, the big most contentious issue for months now has been how do you value the cable assets that Warner Brothers has planned to spin off? Prior to selling the studios and the streaming business to Netflix.
Speaker 2: The Netflix offered twenty seven dollars a share for the studios and streaming spin off the cable networks paramount thirty dollars a share all of it, but basically assigning a value to the networks of zero dollars. This is a saga. It will play out over time. It's a really difficult question for you as editor, hear Felix, But like what happens next? Is there a real chance that Paramount can force a hostile takeover through this mechanism.
Speaker 10: They're going to try?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 9: I mean I think, like you know, the shareholders at this point, a lot of them seem to be sitting on the fence, you know, in terms of who they're going to support. I think a lot of them are hoping that Paramount would come in with a higher bid, go over the thirty dollars to share. That hasn't happened yet, you know, I think again, you know, David Ellison and Paramount have been trying to advocate for this notion that like the Netflix deal isn't even going to happen. They have too many regulatory issues, you know, putting aside the fact that if Paramount offer was except that they'd have their own issues in Europe with the States. So yeah, I mean, this continues to just get more and more hostile, and this is you know, the next step is this lawsuit and a proxy fight over the director's.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Feenix to that, thank you very much. Another top story deep seek founder liangwen Feng's hedge fund surge more than fifty percent last year, making it the second best performer among China quant funds.
Speaker 5: The strong performance.
Speaker 2: Helped boost the cash available for deep seek itself. Let's get out to Bloomberg Tech executive editor Peter Elstrom. You know, two, there's the Bloomberg story, right, which is about a quant funds you know, amazing performance. But in the reporting it's super clear the read through that people are making is that that the returns on that the earnings from that fund's performance can be taken by deep Seak's founder and used to give deep seek a bigger budget for research and deploying its models.
Speaker 11: Right right, That's exactly true. Yeah, there, So there's a finance story here, but there's also a tech story, and the finance story is very impressive. The hedge fund high Fire, that was really the place where deep seek was born, had a great year. Returns were fifty seven percent on average across their various funds. That is very good for the founder early on one thing, as you mentioned, it's good performance compared with the other quant funds out there, but it also gives him a much bigger checkbook to be able to go out there and make new investments now that probably.
Speaker 7: Would be in Deep Seek. Deep Seek has.
Speaker 11: Gained a lot of momentum since a year ago when they had their big breakthrough dropped the bombshell that they had invented this LLM for a fraction of the cost of Opening Eyes with very similar performance. So now you could see the founder invest more money into Deep Seek, perhaps chase after a little bit of the capital intensive projects that we've seen in the US in particular, we haven't seen those kind of investments in China so far, or he could invest in other kinds of AI initiatives that may not be directly the same as Deep Seek.
Speaker 3: Because the whole claim about Deep Sek has it only cost them six million dollars, And the theory in this particular reporting is that maybe they're getting revenues of some seven hundred million dollars That could go a long way if you're thinking about the costs of doing the business here. But talk to us about why they're able to outperform so much. What is it they're betting on? How these quant funds managing to be so superior.
Speaker 11: Well, partly with Deep Seek early on. They were able to do this because there were a lot of constraints around the AI initiatives in particular, and we've written a fair bit about High Flyer in the past. They have these quantitative techniques to be able to outstrip their peers within the China market. They were the number two fund as you mentioned. Also, the China market has been on fire. There have been a lot of investments in other kinds of AI models. Deep Seak hasn't gone public yet, but two of the other AI models within the country have gone public, giving them a lot of momentum here. So the market's been very strong. They've been able to take advantage of that. But again, as you say, they now have one hundred times as much money as they used to start up Deep Seek in the early days. What are they going to do with that money? How are they going to invest it? They're not talking about this publicly of course at this point, but we would expect more things to come from High Flyer and Deep Seek in the future.
Speaker 3: I mean, just think many Max went public on Friday. It was a ut one hundred percent. It's up fifteen percent again today. Peter Elstrom on all things Asia. We so appreciate it, thank you. Coming up a bit more on Asia. Could Chinese evs actually dodge tariffs in the EU. We're going to discuss the global electric vehicle wars the Stephanie Valdez Street from Cox of Automotive that's next as.
Speaker 4: A BlueBag tech.
Speaker 3: The European Union is weighing minimum prices for evs exported to the block from China that actually.
Speaker 4: Would replace steep tariffs.
Speaker 3: Is it a sign that we've got some easy trade tensions even as the US presses Europe to.
Speaker 4: Take it off line?
Speaker 3: On Beijing here to discuss this is Stephanie Valdez Street, director of Industry Insights for Cox Automotive. That was sort of the latest news headline that we get that maybe BYD will be able to sell into Europe and not have to have huge tarifts that eats its margin. Are we going to see them able to tackle the European market and continue to scale.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you know, we look at the electric vehicle market, right, China definitely is dominating and you think about their strategy is to export, Right, They've exported millions of vehicles and they've had a lot of luck in increasing share and so the UK, it's basically, you know, it's a compromise, right, the EU, Europe needs to meet those climate goals, right, they need to increase their EV adoption. They rely on China for minerals, right, batteries. So I think it's a good compromise, and I think China will continue to increase their share in those markets, not only UK, but some of the emerging markets as well.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, one of the biggest feedback I often get with my social is about the lack of BYD or Chinese offerings here in the United States.
Speaker 4: Is that ever going to come.
Speaker 3: To bat or they're just forever going to be shut out because it's really bets on TESLA and also pushing away against evs more broadly.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you know, I think if you look at the US, that's one thing I think both political parties can agree on is to keep China out. And so I think that's kind of where we're at now. Out in the future, you know, maybe we could see something that similar happened to the Japanese and the Koreans. They come, they build a partner and they build manufacturing plants. But for now the near term, we're not going to have those other than the ones that we already have under Geele, which is the Vulgo and pole Star. But definitely, I think consumers are seeing evs when they travel abroad and getting the experience of writing in a Chinese ozem and discovering how good quality high tech, and so I think that it would resonate with US consumers at the right.
Speaker 5: Price, Stephanie.
Speaker 2: Last week at CS Nvidia outlined a full stack hardware software solution for autonomous driving, and it very quickly raised questions about Tesla.
Speaker 5: So I asked Jensen Wong about it. Listen to this.
Speaker 13: I think the Tesla stack is the most advanced AV stack in the world, and I think the Tesla AV operations is the most advanced in the world, and I'm I'm fairly certain that they were already using them to end AI.
Speaker 5: So here's the thing.
Speaker 2: Mercedes will ship a vehicle this quarter capable of point to point hands free using in video technology. Does Tesla finally have something real in the market to worry about?
Speaker 7: I think they do.
Speaker 12: You think about some of the even Rivian's another player, right that they at their aidea they announce their plan. I think definitely there's a lot of competition, and I still think, you know, we're making some tremendous progress, but I think one of the challenges continues to be regulation safety. But I think in a video announcement with that technology to really identify those edge cases which will help with regulations more credibility. So definitely Tesla has some challenges out there for sure.
Speaker 2: The reason I find it fascinating is that if you are a Tesla owner, you know, you know all about full self driving FSD. It's a part of the pitch from Tesla, But the vast majority of the auto market, at least in America, maybe they don't think about, Okay, I'm going to buy a vehicle based on its ability to do this. Do you think that changes from here on in?
Speaker 12: I think I think more from consumer, it's more about the in car experience. So we keep hearing this software defined vehicle, So I don't think they're going into like I want this autonomous or full self driving. It's more about what kind of consumer experience can I have with technology in the vehicle, So in vehicle experience, So maybe it's the ability to have some of that ADA as technology, but I don't think that's the main driver, it's more about what's that experience going to be and what other options that vehicle provide for me.
Speaker 3: In many ways, it's about marketing, getting people in the cars to understand what it feels like, and then sort of perpetuate that demand for wanting more and more and more. From your perspective, is the consumer mindset there from a safety perspective? Is the regulation there from that perspective as well?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 12: I think so. I think that's the one thing if you think about you know, I think when you think about Robotechi's right, we're starting to see a lot of that with wai Mo and Zook, some other companies, Tesla getting consumers into those taxi atonos, So they're getting to finally experience that. But I still think, you know, it's been hard to get consumers to trans you know, kind of consider electric vehicles to get into an autonomous vehicle is in more so. So, I think there's still a lot of work to be done in terms of credibility and safety perceptions for autonomous vehicles from a consumer perspective.
Speaker 2: Stephanie, look forward to twenty twenty six for US, What is it you expect to have in United States? In particular in electric vehicles and any growth that may or may not come to your mind.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you know, twenty twenty five it ended exactly where we thought it would. Our report comes out tomorrow, but we're going to be about two percent down your year round up to one point three million vehicles. But going into twenty twenty six, right.
Speaker 7: We got rid of the characteristic.
Speaker 12: We no longer have the IRA tax intetive, the corporate average fuel economy standards have been less stringent, the Calvern waiver. But given all that, we still have twenty plus new EV's launching in twenty twenty six, so I think we're still going to see momentum. It's going to be hard, but I think consumers.
Speaker 4: Are going to have more product.
Speaker 12: But I think the one thing which we've talked about before in the past is the affordability. If you look at the current product lineupsues that are offered over sixty percent for over sixty five thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: So that's definitely about is Treat.
Speaker 2: It's definitely about it is Treated, Director of Industry in Size Cox Automotive, thank you so much for coming up. We'll speak with LUTs Capital co founder Peter Herbert about the firm's latest fund, its biggest fund. Silicon Valley meets DC. This is Bloomberg Tech. Welcome back to Bloomberg Tech. There's a story we're going to go deeper on later in the program, the President saying that if credit card companies don't respect an interest cap with ten percent in the year, they will be facing uh.
Speaker 5: Illegal activity claims.
Speaker 2: Basically, these are two of the more tech focus names Klana a firm, both down on the news. I would note American Express is also down as an example significantly. We're going to get to that later in the program. Back to one of the top stories, we've had confirmation from Google that it is entered into a multi year agreement with Apple for Gemini to be the underpinnings of the next gen AI SERI.
Speaker 5: You see, when the.
Speaker 2: News broke just before the program about ten thirty East in time, a big jump in alphabet shares that sent market cap through four trillion.
Speaker 5: They then faded.
Speaker 2: And I'd remind you as well that Bloomberg did report in November that a deal was close for Apple to pay Google about a billion dollars a year for use of that very large one point two trillion parameter model, Carol what else.
Speaker 3: Well, let's dig in on Alphabet and it's recent moves, but also where it stands versus the rest of the market. Bluembog equity reporter comen Ryanikey has been really digging in to the idea that maybe we're broadening out.
Speaker 4: Maybe MAG seven isn't just a sure far bet. Alphabet was a sure far bet last year.
Speaker 3: Tell us about the discern that was starting to see among these key megacaps.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean what we saw last year is continuing at least in the first few weeks of this year. Where the winners and losers are really important. So Alphabet was a winner last year. It was the biggest outperformer and one of only two stocks in the MAG seven group that outperforms the broader market, the other one being in Nvidia. So it's really established itself as dominant in the AI trend, and you know, maintaining that momentum going forward is really important, especially considering that we're starting to see some of these other names lag a little bit. You know, they're just slowing down in terms of overall growth and heading into earning season, some of those things are expected to continue, right we're just we're hitting the law of large numbers. Growth is expected to slow, and so that might translate, you know, into stock games as well.
Speaker 2: Been an interesting morning for Alphabet and Apple and the news flow around the deal to improve Siri, and I was reflecting on literally just the ticker, right, you know, Alphabet saw and breaches four trillion dollars market cap then kind of fade straight away. What did you see in the markets this morning in terms of how people reacted.
Speaker 14: Yeah, so we saw that big spike for both Google and Alpha or sorry, Google and Apple shares. It did push Google over four trillion in market cap. It's also surpassed Apple recently, so it's the second largest company in the s and P five hundred million in the market other than in Nvidia. And it's interesting because you know, we did see those those gains fade a little bit. They're up now. I think both stocks are trading in positive territory. But the overall market, I think we are still seeing a lot of macro news weigh on this. It's been a little bit all over the place today. So big tech is obviously still super important. These stocks are really important. They're so large they add a lot and can weigh a lot on the broader index. But we also are seeing that there is a broadening out. People are looking at other sectors, and you know, it's not just big tech that's always driving the gains and losses in the market.
Speaker 5: Bloombe's common. Ryan, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Let's go from the public markets private markets, where interest in frontier tech is incredibly high. Lux Capital is raised one point five billion dollars for its ninth fund, the largest in the venture firms more than twenty year history. Peter Abair, partner and co founder of Lots Capitals with us here in San Francisco.
Speaker 5: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: It's exciting news, right the ninth fund that the largest ever. You turned away about a billion dollars of capital. What's very interesting about it, though, is the consistency. The themes are the same, the focus is the same. What do you want to do with this fund?
Speaker 15: So we will be doing more of the same, but just accelerating that piece. And so we've been investing now for more than twenty five years in physical, computational life sciences, but really at the cutting edge and the frontier of all these different scientific disciplines, and so as we say science doesn't scale itself, and so that's where we're going to be put in the thrust of our investment.
Speaker 2: Peter, we enjoy having you on the program. The firm you, Josh Dino when they cut when all of you come on. But it seems very disciplined, very calm. Check sizes one hundred thousand. This is exciting though. These are some of the domains that are moving the fastest, and actually, would you reflect that this administration has allowed you to do that? The areas of defense, other areas adjacent to AI is something that the Trump administration has moved quickly to support.
Speaker 15: So certainly in areas like defense, kind of broadly reindustrialization a lot of the things that we do. It's certainly having a moment, and that's really reflected one from the technological waves that are happening. One of the things that is top of everyone's mind right now is physical AI. Right now, there's also the JP Morgan healthcare event happening in San Francisco. You're seeing huge breakthroughs in medical robotics and in computational drug discovery. But absolutely, if you look at the world, it's an uncertain place, and defense technology has been really soaring as Large Nations state its rearm and focus under Terrens Peter Andreill.
Speaker 4: Of course, one of the key bets you made and.
Speaker 3: We had Parmalucky on the show last week. From ces of this fund, how much will be to double down on prior bets or how much will be to take out totally new bets on new companies coming to your inbox.
Speaker 15: So the spirit of this fund is really thinking about as a blank slate, starting with the portfolio of probably forty to fifty core positions. Historically we've had companies that have gone from one fund to another cross fund investing, but it's generally not the focus and philosophy of each new core fund that we.
Speaker 3: Raise one hundred thousand dollars to one hundred million, that's a huge breadth that you're giving yourselves. Where do you think you will be excited to deploy? Have the foundational models moved forward? Are we seeing more interesting areas of more specific niche parts of the building the llms or is it more about application? Where are you thinking about getting excited for?
Speaker 15: So our mental model and framework really is what we describe as moving from two D two dimensional AI to three D and that's really areas of robotics and automation and biology, but it's seeing AI for the first time coming out of the digital world into the physical And just one example of that is really just the momentous opportunity here. Approximately ninety percent of us GDP is not digitally native. It is in the physical world. It's construction, it's heavy industry, and that's thirty trillion dollars of total us GDP. So the opportunity really exist for technology investors focused on software, data other very specific areas that now have the opportunity basically ten x total addressable market.
Speaker 5: Peter, you're co founder of this firm.
Speaker 2: Has the composition of the LP's changed from fund one through to fund nine, and where the interests in you is coming from?
Speaker 15: Earliest a believer in LUX was a gentleman, Bill Conway, one of the founders of the Carlisle Law, and so he was LUX Venture is one. Today we manage seven billion dollars on behalf of endowments and foundations and state pensions. So obviously going from an initial individual albeit a quasi institution, to now serving some of the world's most elite institutions.
Speaker 2: I'm really interested in the core competencies you're looking for later in the program. We have one X, the humanoid robotics company on right, and they're out with their own world model. But the problem right now is that in Nvidia, as was made very plain last week, basically come out and say we'll do it all for you on the hardware and software side. If you're a humanoid robots company or a different physical AI offering, what's left to look for in that regard.
Speaker 5: Believe in it or not.
Speaker 15: There will not just be one company that rules all others, and so there are a number of different opportunities. And even with Nvidia, as prominas they are, there are other up and comers on the silicon side, certainly on the software side training there are a number of different companies that are attacking again physical implementations of AI, from physical intelligence that's here in San Francisco to Applied Intuition, which is a lux portfolio company which is really creating an operating system in mobility. So there is abundant opportunity.
Speaker 3: And is that global Peter in terms of not just the consumer base, but where these companies are getting birthed.
Speaker 4: How broad do you go?
Speaker 15: Well, one X not an American company. There are many global competitors in this marketplace, even in AI. Right now, we're an investor in a company called Sikana Ai based in Japan. We've made probably about a dozen or so investments across Europe in the last fund. So technology is global, it's broadly distributed. San Francisco remains the epicenter, but you will see it popping up coming out of a lot of large research institutions across the globe.
Speaker 3: Fascinating p DA Bere We thank you, partner co founder lux Capital. On the latest fun announcement coming up, we talk about that company one X, the maker of Neo. It says this new AI model will give its home robot the ability to learn new tasks from scratch.
Speaker 4: I'll talk to the CEO. This has been their tech.
Speaker 5: We've got news for you from the world of robotics.
Speaker 2: One X Technologies, the maker of the humanoid robot Neo, has an update for its one Ex World model, an AI video model grounded in physics. According to the company, the update will make Neo capable of executing on new AI abilities with a simple text or voice prompt. That's even if the robot has zero experience of doing the task before joining us is one X Technology CEO and CTO Bernt Bernick.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to bloombog Tech.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 7: I want to keep this really simple to start.
Speaker 2: What is an example of a task that the update to the model allows for NEO to do that it couldn't have done for the first time without the update.
Speaker 16: So I mean to me, it's all about like things just being anything that you don't have in your data set, but still being able to have a sensible approach.
Speaker 10: So like the first time I really kind of.
Speaker 16: Like saw this and it was a simple question, just asking the robot, hey, can you can you pick the post it note down from the board and read it? But it might never have seen a post and it's like, of course, we don't have any training data on us using robots to like pick post it notes off a board and like look at it and read what's on it.
Speaker 10: But it can actually do it really well, and it's not aji yet.
Speaker 16: There are examples where it fails, But what it does is the ability to have this very sensible approach to anything, which is a cornerstone of learning, because now all you need is the robots teaching themselves how to do all these tasks by actually experimenting and doing this in the real world.
Speaker 5: This model, how good is it? You know?
Speaker 2: Last week CS and Video extol the virtues of using their open models, and inside Neo, the brain of Neo is an Nvidia inferenced chip, right, so why not just using Vidia's model too.
Speaker 16: We have a very deep collaboration made in VideA and we do use a lot of their technology in the stack. I think to us also, it's very much about the embodiment and the husband designed really over the last decade to be as close to a human as possible. Because if you take all of the knowledge that we have in the world, like everything you can see on YouTube or any kind of video content, and you train a model on this and now you want to pick up the cup or open the door, if your robot is actually not similar enough to a human, this doesn't work anymore because you wouldn't do the task in the same manner. And this is quite unique to one because I think there's there's a couple of things that really puts us apart, and it's that we have robots that are so close to humans in how they interact with the world, but also that they're safe so they can actually try to do something and if they fail, then the world is still okay. You don't want your like I don't know, you don't want your door to be scratched because there was a robot trying to open it. And this puts us in a category where our approach today it is probably a bit different, like what the standard is now and also why we're so we're very excited about these world models where finally we see robotic scaling following the same scaling laws as for example, video pre training from the big video models, like so our video from our competitors, and go in on.
Speaker 3: The safety a little bit more because you're talking about how it stops the door getting scratched, but for many it's about well, when robots start learning to do things themselves, therein lies the safety issue.
Speaker 4: What god rails do you have in place?
Speaker 16: So we have some exciting work on that that will come out soon.
Speaker 10: We are doing.
Speaker 16: The proper things on the safety side with respect to following the standards, helping develop some of the standards, but also ensuring that we, for example, have externally audited work of our safety work by an independent by independent third party, of course, But to me, safety has many layers. You have what we call like the passive intrinsic safety, where humans are actually very safe in the sense that we have.
Speaker 10: To actively work to hurt each other.
Speaker 16: We don't hurt each other by accident usually, and this is something we build into the machine the same kind of just you have to be soft, compliant, lightweight, low energy, so you can be safe in among people and in the environment. And then of course you have the AI alignment, which is equally important, and how do you ensure that you can always take the safest leads to risky path for whatever task you want to achieve. And this is also something that's incredibly exciting about these world models that they understand the world so well and also how the physical world works, that you can not only ask for how am I going to do this task, but how am I going to do this task in a manner that is as safe as possible?
Speaker 10: What are the things that could possibly be wrong go wrong? And then the model actively.
Speaker 16: Reasons about like, hey, here are the things that I can visualize going wrong here, So I'm going to take this path here, which is the safest path.
Speaker 2: The problem being sold for other than ultimately accelerating deployment of NEO in the real world. Is the burden of real world data gathering and a lot of focus right now on simulation and synthetic data. Just talk a little bit about that. Some of our audiences is our industry, they're more technical and they'll want to know how you did it with this particular model.
Speaker 16: Yeah, so I think really, if you boil it down to the simplest parts, it is if your embodiment, if your robot is close enough to a human, then all of these learnings that they have from video they actually transfer pretty well. And once you can do that, and your robot can now approach almost any task as long as you.
Speaker 10: Can ask for it.
Speaker 16: Your intelligence doesn't scale with the amount of data you can collect with humans anymore.
Speaker 10: It actually scales with the number of robots.
Speaker 16: You've deployed, because now you just need enough robots actually trying to do all these things, and trying to do these things are useful, right, so you also produce useful work. But in the process, the robot learns and it quickly gets better, and now you just want enough robots across society and doing enough different tasks so that you get a very large data coverage and then you're progressing very well on your scaling laws towards general intelligence. But it's now independent of actually having to use humans to gather the data to a.
Speaker 2: Tel operations sideration exactly, burn x CEO and c to one X. Is great to have you back here on boomby Tech. Thank you very much. Carry plenty of other news headlines.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's time now for talking tech and first start. Mon Meta has appointed a formatop advisor to President Trump to a newly created senior management role. Done Power McCormick will guide the company's aim structure efforts, including securing future funding from governments and investors for massive data center projects. Plus Meta also says it has shut down almost five hundred and fifty thousand accounts in Australia to comply with the country's new social media ban for kids Now. The law, which came into effect last year, mandates that services like Facebook and Instagram block under sixteen year olds from having accounts or face fines ab up to thirty three million dollars and anthropic. While it's making a push into healthcare with tools that allow patients and doctors to access medical information on its AI chatbot.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: The new offering is compliant with.
Speaker 3: US medical privacy regulations, allowing providers and consumers to field protected health.
Speaker 5: Data ed okay, coming up.
Speaker 2: Credit card issuers are on edge as President Trump calls for a ten percent interest rate cap on credit cards for one year.
Speaker 5: We had the details. Next, this is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 2: Allmark is partnering with alphabet to offer Ali and hands show being on Google Gemini's platform part of the retailer's race to apply the technology across its operations, from apparel and consumables to entertainment and food products. Customers will be able to purchase items on Gemini's browser or mobile app in the coming months.
Speaker 3: Carot, let's talk a bit more about the consumer and tech and payments. For example, because President Trump is pushing for a one year cap on credit card interest rates at ten percent, it's a move that could end the credit card industry and also ripple through major buy now, pay later providers. Newberg's page Smith, who covers consumer finance, is right here. Look, is this going to send shock waves and people towards alternative forms of financing? If, for example, these credit cards just can't serve the broad consumer that they used to.
Speaker 4: If ten percent is the cap, that's a really good question.
Speaker 17: I think we are a bit early to exactly see how consumers are responding to this, because it's still early days. Just to be clear, President Trump's statement on Friday evening and then again last night was really just saying that that credit card companies, essentially issuers and big banks should be doing this. The legal levers that he can actually pull to implement such a proposal would are still very unclear. We haven't seen any sort of formal proposals. So to sort of say that there would be fintech, you know, maybe fintech alternatives, sort of folks along the lines of so Fi or a firm or Klarna actually stepping into the void is a bit premature. But although shares have sort of seemed to react and seem to be identifying some potential opportunities along those.
Speaker 2: Lines, Paige, the president's claim is that some credit card providers are charging twenty eight up to thirty percent, as he put it, but also that the consumer might not even realize that they're being charge interest at a rate of thirty percent. In our reporting and in evidence, do we know that to be true among some credit card providers.
Speaker 17: I mean, I'll speak for myself. I think it would be fair to say that it was a good reminder this morning and over the weekend to be checking interest rates on credit cards, as every consumer should be. So I think it is fair that it's not a widely known fact of exactly how much it costs consumers to be swiping, tapping using their credit cards across the board.
Speaker 3: You do a great job, but reminding us that this is still at these stages and enacting any sort of proposed cap would take, I believe, in act to congress, but push us forward to what some of the key executives have said in response to this potential move.
Speaker 17: Most definitely a quote that stood out to me just before I came on air as I saw that the Sofi CEO, Anthony Noto. I believe the quote was giddy up in terms of the opportunities for Sofi. Sofi actually does offer credit card to its consumers, but it's really a firm that's kind of best known for student loan refinancing and also personal loans for consumers. So that's kind of a flavor of the tones some executives are striking, while others are maybe kind of hanging back and seeing substantively what impact this could have or what opportunities it could present for their businesses.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's page fith thank you very much. That does it for this edition of Bloomberg Tech carry.
Speaker 3: So much already as we kick off this week, don't forget to check out our podcasts. You can find out on the Terminal, sells online on Apple, Spotify, and iHeart.
Speaker 4: Back in San Francisco and New York. No longer in Vegas. This is Bloomberg Tech