Speaker 1: Okay, so today's introduction is kind of like a post introduction. So we're coming at the end of the episode because I fucked up in this episode. I fucked up. I didn't even introduce my next guest. We just were off to the races, me and this brilliant man and his brilliant mind, and I at the end of the episode was like, shit, I didn't even introduce you. I, if you can imagine, didn't even ask him who or what he wants to say thanks to. Will never know spoiler, We're never gonna know who or what my next guest wants to say thanks to. But I can tell you who my next guest is. I didn't do it in front of them, didn't do this beautiful intro in front of them, which would have been so delicious too. But anyway, I'm doing it now because that's what you, as the listener deserve, that's what my guest deserves, and I demand justice. I fucked up, and I'm the one who demanded justice. How's that for versatility. My next guest is an actor whose directorial debut, titled untitled Home Invasion Romance, is streaming now on Hulu. My next guest spoiler is Jason Biggs. We have a very good conversation that I think you would enjoy. I certainly enjoyed myself, if that is not obvious by the fact that I forgot to introduce him. We just were you ever just off to the races. We've skipped all the small talk and we got in there. You're gonna enjoy it. I enjoyed it again. You're gonna enjoy it. Or your money back guaranteed. iHeart will refund you for something. Submit a receipt for anything you've bought in the last sixty days, and iHeart will refund you. If you don't like this conversation, They're not gonna do that, but you will like this conversation. I feel really confident. Anyway, time for me to talk to Jason Biggs and you to watch and or listen. Do you know that? Do you know the Gucci main song where he goes I think the song is Roland. I had never done drugs and still then I've had marijuana before and a mushroom chocolate?
Speaker 2: Is that really? It?
Speaker 1: Is? That? Really? It? Yeah? Which is that sad? Do you think I'm missing out?
Speaker 2: Drugs are fun? Drugs are fun, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I mean I kind of wish that I lived my life in a in a more sort of chill manner to the point where it's like, I, yeah, I could do with mushroom chocolate here or there, smoke a little weed and take it or leave it. I mean, is that kind of your attitude with it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm the exact opposite. I'm a sober alcoholic and drug addict and I love drugs and alcohol.
Speaker 1: Okay, and I up yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: They're fucking great when they served me well for a long time because.
Speaker 1: They did serve you well, yes say okay, yeah, yeah no, because.
Speaker 3: I mean it was you know you you it was it helped me. I did not want to be present, and I did not I wanted to ignore the bad ship and have fun and.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, no, it was. There's a you know, there's a reason people get, you know, into them.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're good, you're good.
Speaker 2: Do you have until they're terrible?
Speaker 1: Right? And that's like when it's like too much? Because everything in moderation they serve, right.
Speaker 2: That's what that's what that's what they say.
Speaker 1: They who the who are they?
Speaker 2: Who are they?
Speaker 1: Yourselves?
Speaker 2: I did not listen to them when I first partook of drugs and alcohol and I went, I went flying rolling the other direction.
Speaker 1: So that's right, which I thought. He meant like, are you coming with us? Right?
Speaker 2: I'm tagging along?
Speaker 1: Yes the longest time, I mean fifteen years later, I'm like, oh, that's what, And now all the verses of the song make sense. Do you have addicts in your family?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, in uh not in the you know, I think it's that that that part of the brain that sort of U that that that compulsive part of the brain that is sort of I think there's a connection, whether it's food or shopping, all the addiction. I'm sorry, sorry, but there is a sorry Hollywood's Holly.
Speaker 1: They literally don't ever call me. How do I get them to call me? I'll tell them please reach out?
Speaker 3: No, I I yeah, there's I mean, there's clearly like a connection that part of the brain. I know, people with food stuff and I even I have. You know, for me, it's been whack a mole, Like I got rid of drugs and alcohol, but it pops up in other ways. I know when my brain starts getting into that sort of space that could be a little bit dangerous and it presents in different ways for me. But yeah, so I have people in my family and my life that it has reared its head in different ways and at different points in their lives. So I recognize some of those tendencies in other people in my life. But I would say I'm the only person. I think that's not true. I have a sibling who's sort of dealt with it and addressed it, but yeah, I'm kind of the one who's, like, you know, gone twelve step program. And not to say that anyone else needs it, but my version of my addiction had gotten too extreme for me to be able to live my life in a way that you know, I could be a good person, parent, friend, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, coworker, what have you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you said that, like you can sense yourself when the compulsions are arising, and you kind of know how to get ahead of it. Now, So beyond the twelve step program, what are other ways you sort of cope and keep yourself centered rounded?
Speaker 2: It's a great question, I am. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh, friends, Like you know, like fellowship is the sort of the AA term, but like it is, it's a you know, I first, I I first tried to get sober My son is twelve and a half, so when my wife was pregnant with him, so over thirteen years.
Speaker 2: Ago, and.
Speaker 3: I, uh, part of the reason why I couldn't stay sober I kept relapsing is I would go to the AA, I would go to meetings and stuff, but then I would never First of all, I didn't yeah, I didn't like get a sponsor or do the steps or any of the sort of the quote unquote work. But also the biggest thing was I wouldn't hang out with anybody who who was like minded or had was going through a similar thing.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I'd go to the meetings and.
Speaker 3: People would come up to me and say hello and try to you know, hey, let's hang out, you want my number, whatever, But I was so like hat down hood up, kind of in the back, you know, would leave before the very end, so I didn't have to engage with anybody.
Speaker 2: I was just very you know.
Speaker 3: It was the same reason I I my drinking and drugging got so bad. Partly was because I isolates. That was sort of my Yeah, I would I would just sort of retreat inward. Yeah, And I kept doing that even when I first tried to get sober and so naturally, I just continued to relapse and.
Speaker 2: It didn't work for me. So yeah, so call somebody.
Speaker 3: I call, you know, if I feel myself getting squirrely, you know, I'll I'll call another alcoholic or even just a friend. Yeah, there's someone I can could just get out of my own space. Ask somebody else how they're doing. Let me hear your story, tell me, because you know what perspective is important and like it.
Speaker 2: It's it's just not all about me. That's the thing. When I'm drinking and drugging, it's just all about me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I care about anyone else or anything else.
Speaker 2: I just want to focus on myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's easy to get in that space for I feel like even a non alcoholic, there's so much in there's it's yeah, to isolate and to especially this.
Speaker 2: Day, especially now, because we all have a new drug.
Speaker 1: Is it this drug?
Speaker 2: It is that drug.
Speaker 1: Hollywood is not calling me, but this drug it's.
Speaker 3: Still there's there's still some some highs you can get.
Speaker 2: It's from that little device.
Speaker 1: It's true. I just moved my last night before bed. I have not gotten text notifications and they've not been on on my phone in prop I'm gonna say eleven years.
Speaker 2: And is that all the time I go or just at night like you said all the time?
Speaker 1: Wow? No, So like I you.
Speaker 3: Have to go actively to your text message app to see, oh who's checking out?
Speaker 1: Yes, like the red bubble would give me anxiety. So like there's been eleven years no notifications. But the problem is now I know I need to go to my text messaging app to see who's texted, and I can do that compulsively, right, So like it really worked for a while, and then of course my brain adjusted and is like, well, now we'll just be going to text. So last night it didn't even occur to me. I was like, you can move that text messaging app from the top left corner. It's the number one. I was like, I'm putting it on page four of my homepage. And then I'm going to this notification center and saying, do not even suggest I opened this, and while we're here, don't suggest I open Instagram either.
Speaker 2: And while we're also here, stop yelling at me, yeah phone, yes, tell me what to do.
Speaker 1: And then shaming my own Yeah, imagine I bought you. You just supposed to serve me, and you're gonna shame me every Sunday and tell me your phone use this week.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you're up twenty seven percent from last week. That possible, But I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't do this this week, and I didn't open that up this week. And I'm like, I didn't imagine this little shaming device we have. But I do think fellowship is so important and it's something that I it's so easy to forget and neglect. And again, because we have these devices and we all have the things that are that we ruminate on, it's it's so easy to isolate. But I find it really interesting. So tell me if I misinterpreted this moment. When you said fellowship, there was this kind of sort of like indication from you nonverbally that it's cheesy, that like the word is cheesy, like's what we say and A did you feel that.
Speaker 2: A little bit? Yeah?
Speaker 3: And also I think I was cringing a little because I was trying to sort of get away from sort of give you an example that was separate from the grant from AA in the program. And then but the word fellowship is very program centric, so I was I was like, oh, fellowship, but but friendship friends people other people, the idea being.
Speaker 2: It's just not all about you.
Speaker 3: And if you can give yourself, give your time to someone else and and ask questions and you know, like it's it's doesn't have to be another alcoholic, you know, just like get out of this for this is this is, this wants to bring me down.
Speaker 1: It's so crazy, little enemy inside you wild and I there's been times when I've been down myself and I go, what am I gonna do? What am I going to do? And because you know, I'll probably shop impulsively, and they make it way too easy, too easy, too easy Apple pay, the game of paying for things. I'm like, that's real money. That's real. Wait it is, Jason, you might be in a ship ton of.
Speaker 3: Debt the Apple Apple Pay that's like mono money. It even has tips and not believe Apple.
Speaker 1: It's real money. It's real money. That little thing like that's money coming out of your bank account. Yeah, okay, I'm sorry to break this to you. They make you, they make you forget.
Speaker 2: It really is really is crazy.
Speaker 3: And even the places they they've taken my addiction to Instagram, for example, and they've layered in my addiction to shopping in there, They're like, you know, this guy is an addict.
Speaker 2: He's on me all the time Instagram saying this, he's on me all the time. I bet you, Hey, other drugs come here?
Speaker 1: Hey so true?
Speaker 3: You want to Hey, bet you he'll shop on this. I bet you give him one little pop up ad. I bet you he'll buy it. I bet you this will buy a fuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I think I'm half of my outfit is Instagram.
Speaker 1: Instagram. Well it's funny because when you came in and this is no judgment, and you were like, are those the Alaiyah ballet flats? I have to I have to ask how did you know? Because I did grapple with get the Alaya ballet flats? Or get these? Stad are these?
Speaker 2: But but they look gere, I love I love it.
Speaker 1: I just something about the construction shape is better from.
Speaker 2: My foot, but but they look awesome.
Speaker 1: If did you know.
Speaker 2: About the ballet flats? That's great question? Uh? Well, I am married. I mean I have you know a.
Speaker 3: Wife who who who I believe also has a pair of Aliyah balant Okay, so I also have an appreciation for fashion, Like I am not particularly fashionable, but I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I certainly appreciate it.
Speaker 3: And I think I used to be something that I didn't fully understand or care about for the longest time. And again current outfit doesn't.
Speaker 1: Well we have Instagram to think for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, But I do appreciate some of the nicer thing, you know. It's it's there are certain things I go, really, who could spend them? But then I've found myself, you know, like indulging in certain you know, pieces, wardrobe pieces.
Speaker 2: I'm like, that actually is really cool. I do see it. It does make I get it.
Speaker 3: I get it when you're and then people are like, well just get the like you know, the other version thing again but something, but it is again it's a it's the psychology of branding and luxury that like sort of but for me, I mean, I yeah, I I am you know, I still I love a deal real real, shout out real real, shout out real real.
Speaker 2: There you go, shout out real real.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, yeah, and but but yeah, I I don't know, I just I don't know why. I I just also like I'm also kind of I do say I'm I will say that I'm hyper aware of of stuff that happens, Like in terms of trends and stuff, I'm fascinated by trends and like who's wearing what and why not to say that I'm on there. I'm always behind, like I'm personally in behind, but I'm like aware of it in pop culture, and I've noticed that the Eliyah ballet flats have been a really big thing and I and I happen to really like them. There are some trends that I'm like, I don't get that one so much. I don't quite know why, like the like the another one seemingly currently you tell me it goes like the the the flip flop heel, the heel flip, you know, like the the what do you call it?
Speaker 1: The thong thong sandalo, the heel, the heel with the heel.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know what I mean is that currently kind of a thing.
Speaker 1: It's a healed tho sandal.
Speaker 2: It's a heel.
Speaker 3: Thonged sandal that like you know, the you know that you know, you've say Laurent has a pair or like whoever, like the nicer and I'm just like, I don't see it, you don't see it.
Speaker 1: And okay, just so I can imagine it correctly because.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's not a trend if you don't.
Speaker 1: Do a lot of online shop. I do a lot of it. So I've seen the it's a high, I've seen the high heel. Yeah, I has one that's like a high.
Speaker 2: Maybe Aliah has. I feel like it's a lot of people kind of have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't like a heel thong stand of why what is yours?
Speaker 2: I just don't like the silhouette for some reason. It doesn't. It doesn't. It's not aesthetically appealing to me. Do you and I'm a foot guy?
Speaker 1: Your foot? Are you on Wiki feet a lot? I'm not lie, you fucking liar, guilty as fuck. I don't know. Have you ever looked at your Wiki feet rating?
Speaker 3: No, I'm honestly I mean this. I'm not on Wiki feet, but I do need to. I'm gonna check it out.
Speaker 1: You're a guy, do you kiss feet? Your wife's of course? Yeah, your kids kids? Of course? That maybe makes that makes sense, it's pure, But like you're you're into feet for real?
Speaker 2: I like that. I appreciate feet.
Speaker 3: I think feet can be sexy each but I also think feet oh no, no, shame listen. You can't, but know no shame, no judgment. I bring it. You judge the funk out of me. I don't care, no, but like I in the same way that I like good feet, I also am like, oh.
Speaker 1: When you're walking around New York City and.
Speaker 2: Close that toe, close that toe shoe. You need some clothes, toe shoes.
Speaker 1: You've thought this while walking past someone in the city. It seemed like, yeah, closed.
Speaker 2: To like rocket closed, it's time for you to start rocking close.
Speaker 1: Are your feet, by the way, they're okay?
Speaker 2: The Pican Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm a many petty guy.
Speaker 1: Oh really, manny as well? Clear polish no polish.
Speaker 3: No polish many less so because I can kind, I can do a fairly decent I.
Speaker 1: Ask you something.
Speaker 2: You want to see my feet?
Speaker 1: No? Sorry, but now that you've offered, yes, he's offered, it's okay.
Speaker 2: They're okay. They're not like down, they're fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're they're fine. I wouldn't see that foot and go put it away, right, but you wouldn't see and that's her foot. I used to be a ballerina, so okay, you can imagine. Yeah, sure, mine are little. I think they're good for I quit just in time.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know, I quit Permanent MGE.
Speaker 1: But then I ran a half marathon and that created its own damage.
Speaker 2: One half marathon, the.
Speaker 1: Training, the wrong size shoe, et cetera. So whatever, But yes, your nails. What I wanted to see is if there was dirt under them.
Speaker 3: No, I keep and it's earlier day. Yeah, yeah, they're pretty sure. I don't feel like there's dirt cavities.
Speaker 1: I do want to ask this dumb ass question that I ask. I find myself wanting to ask people in conversation while claiming I don't care or know anything about it. What is your sign?
Speaker 2: What is my sign? I saw you? Ask Will Ferrell.
Speaker 1: I've asked everybody. Yeah, I see, Like, I don't know, but what's your's?
Speaker 2: Funny when he was doing this and.
Speaker 1: You're like what that? It really wasn't coming to me.
Speaker 2: But I'm a Taurus.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm scared of you?
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 1: Are you bull? Bulls? I'm a Pisces.
Speaker 3: Pisces okay, fish fish, I forget the compatibility you did?
Speaker 2: How was it?
Speaker 1: It went really poorly? Okay, remarkably poorly. I guess I've seen I just watched it like crazy Netflix documentary called a Toxic Love Story, So I want to did you see that? We gotta talk. We're getting into that.
Speaker 3: Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait that's hold on, hold on, hold on Toxic Love Story.
Speaker 2: Wait no, I haven't. It's cue.
Speaker 3: But it's like top of my list. It was the one I watched, the one there was another. Okay, never mind, No, I haven't seen yet.
Speaker 2: Is amazing.
Speaker 1: It's really good. It's really good. Here's the thing. If you've seen it, it's a little scary, but not like don't watch it at night scary. I mean, maybe don't watch it. I watched it on the morning on a train from Maryland to New York. Okay, so I couldn't have felt safer. And I happened to be next to a woman who's from Orange County and the documentary takes place in Orange County. So I kept wanting to be like, man, kis mitt is that you just don't hear from Orange County and this crazy shit's taking place where you're from. But I say this, why did I tell you this? Why did I tell you this?
Speaker 2: I can just think, Okay, you want to take.
Speaker 1: Me, what's up? Okay, No, that is not to reject you and go.
Speaker 2: Perfect first.
Speaker 1: What is your perfect first state? I'm being knotic. I had coffee, y'all. He understands that I don't coffee, another thing I claim I don't really do. But every episode I'm like, I had coffee today. I don't think I have self awareness. Maybe think like I'm thinking about an old version of me.
Speaker 3: I'm like, actually I do that sometimes too. I know what you mean by that. It's like you're kind of you're You're like, oh, this is who I am, but then you realize that actually I.
Speaker 2: Haven't been that person in ten years. Yeah, that happens a lot to me.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's crazy, But I was going to say that it's gone so poorly, that that relationship had gone so poorly, and I would say like crazy times. And then i watch a documentary like a Toxic love Story.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, Okay, actually I should have married.
Speaker 1: Him for it, and then I'd be a star, and then Hollywood would call fucking finally and make a documentary about me in my awful relationship. There you go, what is your what is your Who do you get along with as a tourist? You in your experience?
Speaker 2: Good question?
Speaker 3: I I know I have a Virgos have been a weird presence in my life, good and bad, just a lot of them. Some of the most heated, intense relationships in my life have been virgos.
Speaker 2: For whatever that's worth.
Speaker 3: I haven't checked the charts and sort of under I don't understand it. I can't analyze that. I can just tell you as a matter of you know, anecdotally that I've had weird shit with virgos.
Speaker 2: Okay, or intense intense stuff, memorable relationships.
Speaker 1: Aful way to put it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, for better or for worse. And then I don't know.
Speaker 3: My wife was a Gemini, and you know a lot that there's geminis have been in my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm quite a geminis.
Speaker 1: I have a lot of Geminis in my life too.
Speaker 2: You're with a geminis with a GEMI yeah, dating, like dating.
Speaker 1: One of my closest friends is a Gemini. I know where my brother is a Gemini. I know people are kind of like when they hear Gemini, that's one of the science people go oh no, no, yes too, yes, But I'm like they're fine by me.
Speaker 2: I feel like Taurus is okay.
Speaker 3: I feel like most people no, I feel like for you, except for you, I feel like I've mostly been accepted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really, but stubborn, loyal and listen.
Speaker 2: What else? What bad things? Yeah?
Speaker 1: The stubborn because is double edged sword there, you know, like planting the flag and being unmovable. Not great, But I can stubborn. So maybe me and a stubborn Taurus in a relationship would That's there? You have it there? Yeah, a big problem.
Speaker 2: That's a problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but loyal, what a beautiful trait to have. May I ask what you think your worst quality is? No, okay, all right, next question.
Speaker 2: My worst quality? God?
Speaker 1: Or what someone who really loves you, a parent might say. I'm assuming your parents really love you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, they they definitely love me.
Speaker 3: What's my what's my my worst quality?
Speaker 1: What they would say?
Speaker 2: What they would say?
Speaker 3: I mean, I can kind of and it's again, it's something I've worked on, continue to work on, and I'm better about it in sobriety. But I can kind of fall off the map a little bit. I think my parents would especially say right now, my parents, you know, I'm going through a lot. But I think in general, my mom especially, I feel like all moms though to an extent be like, where'd you go?
Speaker 2: I haven't heard from you. I can definitely fall off.
Speaker 3: I can fall off the map, though I get anxiety even like it was just Instagram showed me my algorithm showed me a post about how like certain people, even responding to text messages can feel really heavy, like like anxiety inducing. It feels like a chore, feels like a thing. And it was this particular post was was the angle the way it analyzed that. It was saying its theory was that for people who you know, dealt with a lot of emotional you know, weight growing up or historically, I've had you know, trauma or any just pressure, lots of pressure, and that even responding that you just I don't want a deal and you put too much pressure on every little response and every and you get you know, I'll see like one text message and then a second one will come through, and there's a certain group of people that are like, oh it's easy, yeah, no problem whatever, And then there's others that just like.
Speaker 2: Oh, oh oh god, I don't know how to respond.
Speaker 3: I don't I'll get back to it, and then like a week goes by and I forget and DA and then the stress gets even more.
Speaker 2: It's a text message. It's a fucking text message.
Speaker 3: It's not even a phone call. I mean, forgetting a phone call. Forget it, you know. But again this goes back to fellowship too. For me, it's like I need to I need to force myself to pick up the phone and call. I need to force myself to respond. But there is some sort of like there is a real anxiety that can happen for me, even when it comes to just returning a text message.
Speaker 2: It's it's pretty wild and and uh, yeah, why did I get on that? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Because I could fall off the map. I could fall That's that's one thing. I mean, listen, there's there's there's lots of things. I will say that one of my better traits, I think.
Speaker 1: Which I was gonna ask, of course, is.
Speaker 3: Now especially trying to look inward and and and change the things, be open to changing the things about me that I don't like or other people don't like. And so I'm kind of even just currently in that process, you know, I'm you know, why I do certain relationships work and others don't.
Speaker 2: What is it about? I have some role in everything? We all have some.
Speaker 3: Role in everything right, and like, you know, our couple therapists used to say all the time, it's like it takes two people to fight, Like there's no A fight does not happen unless both of you participate. Someone might have started it, but you both engage. So what is your partner? Another thing in AA is, you know, is keeping your side of the street clean. That's one of those many AA.
Speaker 1: Express is your lawyer sober, I don't know, no, no, I've had drinks with her. Well that doesn't mean she's.
Speaker 3: But it is one of the there's a lot of like AA expressions, you know, and they're like if you go into a meeting, there's a lot of the rooms will have they'll be like on the wall, and you're like.
Speaker 2: Oh god, it's so cheesy.
Speaker 3: This is when when I first started like, oh god, these these little sayings are so fucking cheesy and lame, but they're so spot on once you sort of again sort of give in, let go and just sort of embrace it, and you go, oh yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: One of them is keeping your side of the street clean. It's like you can't control what other people do or say, how they act. You can control how you respond, how you move forward from there, how you act, what you say, and you know, just taking accountability. And so I think for a long time, I did not want to take accountability for a long time, and I still this is a habit that I still, i think, engage in, but I'm aware of it now. So it's kind of like it's still a bad quality of mine. Is Yeah, I want to point a finger, what did you do to me?
Speaker 2: How?
Speaker 3: You know, victim mentality? Right, Like, you know, even if it's my parents, my parents fucked up, sure, right, but like I can continue to point the finger at them and continue to sort of blame them for reasons for things that I do and say. Now, but I'm forty eight years old, that's really it's a certain point, a certain point I have to, you know. And also as a parent now I also you know, there is of course a bit of like, you know, we're all going to fuck up, and there is an element of you do the best that you can, and maybe your best wasn't that great, maybe my best will be better. But like, yeah, you weren't trying to hurt me, You didn't try to you didn't consciously make a decision to say this is going to hurt that person. But yeah, so anyway, so taking accountability. I had a hard time doing that, you know, And I was quick to blame other people. And I think that's still that's still something I instinctively go to do. But I'm better at saying, hold on, I must have what is my part in this? Yeah, also because blaming is just it's like, yeah, I'm just realizing more and more like I've got to own my own no one's I Yeah, it doesn't get me anywhere. It hasn't gotten me anywhere. Resentment, at least the resentment I resent you because I feel like this is your fault. You did this to me. Why didn't you help me, Why didn't you do this for me? Why do you do this to me? And it's like resentment another great AA expression resentment. Having resentment is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to.
Speaker 1: Die like that.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 3: Another resentment saying that I love please please. Expectations are resentments under construc diction.
Speaker 1: That one I haven't heard, and I'm gonna put that in my back pocket. That's a good one.
Speaker 2: That's really Expectations can kill you. It's like, you know what, I Yeah, my wife and I that was a big one for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wow wow, Like I think you're you kind of have a preconceived You're like, this is what he or what she.
Speaker 2: Should do in this situation.
Speaker 3: Or I'm going to say something and I know what they should say to me to make me feel better, or I know how they should react based on what they tell them, And when that doesn't happen, you go.
Speaker 2: What what that's not how?
Speaker 3: It's like, well, that's why did you expect her respond differently the way you would have responded?
Speaker 2: You're not her.
Speaker 1: Imagine imagine understanding that everyone is their own person and having their own experience and coming at any given experience with all of their stuff. Yeah, imagine imagine that they don't really teach you. You learn it hopefully as you grow up. But I'm like, that'll be useful. Teach me that and how to balance a check book in school?
Speaker 2: Yes, totally. What did I learn?
Speaker 1: Pythagorian theorem?
Speaker 3: Magaris that clown, who the fuck the fuck care Edward.
Speaker 2: Pythagoras his name Edward Charlie.
Speaker 1: Charlie Marshall, Pythagoras.
Speaker 2: The third honey, fuck you.
Speaker 3: Squared equals C squared, and so what equals fu to the second power?
Speaker 1: Because what the that's not useful, it's not really useful respectfully.
Speaker 3: Now, I will say, when I learned the Pythagorean theorem in whatever high school, Yeah, I remember sitting there thinking one day I'm going to be on a podcast.
Speaker 2: And make a Pythagorist joke. I remember thinking, now, so here.
Speaker 3: We are, we are. I'm glad to give you this isn't the pocket no different podcast. Yeah, this is my second Pythagoras joke that this.
Speaker 1: Second, well, that's offensive to me. I was hoping to be the first.
Speaker 2: Sorry, all my materials this is recycled.
Speaker 1: Has everyone heard you say everything you said? Suggest yes, even the Elijah shoot thing? Oh yeah, yeah, okay, okay, well fuck, let me think it's something original. The expectations thing makes me wonder are you good at expressing your needs?
Speaker 3: No, but that's also a yeah, no I historically no getting better?
Speaker 1: Gotcha?
Speaker 2: But no, I I am.
Speaker 3: I always felt like I needed to take care of other people, and you know, I I was secondary and and so yeah, no, I was afraid didn't want to ruffle feathers, you know. And yeah, just how I grew up. There were other people that needed tending to and taking care of, and and so that that's was the shift for me at some point in the priority and my own needs kind of, you know. But then, you know, then I would rebel and act out, and you know, went through a period of yeah, it's me, I.
Speaker 2: Can do whatever I want. I should take care of myself.
Speaker 3: But then I didn't take care of myself properly, you know, whether it was drugs and alcohol, whatever it was, I acted out thinking yeah and me and I became selfish, but in a self destructive way. But yeah, I definitely have a hard time just sort of and asking for help in general. Yeah, you know, yeah, my own needs asking for help, that's always something I struggled with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's such a tough thing to balance still because I feel like so much of what even I see on Instagram online whatever, is about like asserting your boundaries, using your voice, taking care of yourself first. You can't pour from an empty cup, and you're like, and what's the equation Pythagoras helped me with this of like taking care of yourself versus putting other people first, or like when you.
Speaker 2: Talk about is the balance? Where is the race?
Speaker 1: How you like math? I'm like, literally, someone give me the equation.
Speaker 2: What's the formula. I'll punch in the numbers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's a hard thing to sort of figure out. And so like, obviously it sounds like you are. Give yourself grace for that because I'm like, it's it's hard, it's hard. Where do you fall in the sibling lineup?
Speaker 3: I'm middle child, only boy, older sister, younger sister.
Speaker 1: Is it crazy if I tell you I could have maybe guessed middle child?
Speaker 2: No, I should have had you guess. But yeah, I'll believe you.
Speaker 1: I know it sounds like bullshit now.
Speaker 2: It does, but it's just what you described. Let's get this again.
Speaker 1: We'll cut that part out. Okay, okay, So where do you fall in the sibling lineup?
Speaker 2: Where do you think I did?
Speaker 1: I think you're a middle child?
Speaker 2: Okay, tell me now, doing a bad job being fake? I think you are.
Speaker 1: I don't know where I came up with this. Probably middle I don't know where. Sister brother situation.
Speaker 3: No close, okay, sister and sis? Yes, yes, yes, yes, holy shit, you're good spici.
Speaker 1: We're a little yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah yeah, middle child?
Speaker 2: Why why did you sense that?
Speaker 1: Because when you said other people needed tending to and I wasn't necessarily getting I have a friend who's also a middle child, and it's not this is this feels like very stereotypical in a sense middle child experience, if you will, is like I'm kind of forgotten in some ways, and we're focused on other things, and people think I can just like handle it and are not thinking to tend to me. So I know, to be just like quiet, and we're focusing on other people. Older sibling, younger siblings. I'm just kind of here. I'm the youngest, so I'm sorry. The world was everybody's child, yeah, and it.
Speaker 2: Shows how how many of them. I'm one of four, okay?
Speaker 1: And yeah, boy girl, boy girl. Yeah, and I think that I I think in so many ways, I am like the youngest. Yeah.
Speaker 2: What about your sister? How does she do? You and her get along?
Speaker 1: We do and are so different. We're really really different, my sister and I. My sister's easygoing. I am not easy going.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Do you like that self awareness?
Speaker 2: I do? Okay, any self awareness.
Speaker 1: It's someone to compliment me for me self awareness something, thank you, and also to.
Speaker 2: Be like, here's a modest here's an.
Speaker 1: Unbecoming thing of me. It's true that I was describing her yesterday to someone and I was like, I've always maintained she's easygoing, and all these years later she's, yeah, my sister's easy Cohen kind of also like a touch of glib, unaffected, unbothered. It is kind of nice. So I go, do you ever emote? She doesn't, but she does. But she and I are just remarkably different. And she like graduated high school when she was sixteen and like has lived, gone and seen the world in a sense, but very cool, and she like loves school. She like loves to be in school. She has two hundred degrees. Now she's working at a school. I am like the trademark, Yeah, exactly know where you stand. You understand right, not to I was, you know, people should go to school, stay in school, finish school. I do think it's helpful. However, I'm like, when I can be done with it, I want to be done. And she'd be like, you know what, I'm going to go get a fifteenth degree because actually I'm curious about this thing. And I'm like, i'd take a class outside. I'll read an article, yeah, and be and call myself an ex mas exactly.
Speaker 2: I'll wiki feet that.
Speaker 1: You know what I'll do, Jason. I'll read the title of an article and be like, you know, I read this thing, by the way, yep, I'm like, I didn't click it, but I read the title and I got at all I scrolled it.
Speaker 2: It was in my ice, It scrolled past my eyes for a second.
Speaker 1: Do you ever go like I heard and it's like about a restaurant or a story, and it's really that you just read it online and you'll say you heard as though like of course friend told you. Okay, that makes me feel better about the fact that I do that, of course. And in terms of relationship with fun.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you one thing I hate about myself. Sorry, real quick, you know, and no, no, no, I do this too.
Speaker 3: I'll do this sometimes and I immediately and I've gotten much better about this, or someone will be like did you I mean I almost did it with you, but that was because I really thought. But like where someone's like, anyway, I've read this thing.
Speaker 2: Oh I read that, and I'm like, fuck, I didn't read that. I didn't read that.
Speaker 3: Do I do I pull the ripcord now and say no, I di I didn't read that, or do I just not fuck it? Go along with it and hope that this person I'm engaged with right now doesn't actually start getting specific.
Speaker 2: Y you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yes, Because then if I say, oh, no, actually I didn't read that, then they might think, oh, why did you say you read that?
Speaker 2: Were you like? Were you just trying it? Were you faking? Were you?
Speaker 3: And I kind of did it with you? But I that was a because I've just watched two docs. One one was the car.
Speaker 2: Crash one but the teenagers, Oh.
Speaker 1: My god, crash McKenzie Shrilla McKenzie.
Speaker 2: Watched that one, and then there was another one that I watched.
Speaker 1: Not to shout her out. I don't like it, don't Yeah, Mackenzie, what'sie? No?
Speaker 2: Sorry?
Speaker 3: Sorry, bad, bad bad? Fuck you Mackenzie and pathetic.
Speaker 1: Exactly, they're on the same list. But making her famous?
Speaker 2: Are you are? This is your podcast? I'm fucking making anyone famous?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 2: Can you make people famous on this podcast?
Speaker 1: I can? That's good famous? I yeah, but I need to know little Wait?
Speaker 3: So wait, which is the crash and what uh? One was about a relationship that's why I'm like it. But it wasn't toxic because that just came out like last week.
Speaker 1: It was about a healthy relationship.
Speaker 2: It's definitely.
Speaker 1: They made a documentary about a healthy relationship.
Speaker 2: It was so boring.
Speaker 1: It sucks.
Speaker 2: It was terrible. It's like six parts this health.
Speaker 1: It's low key boring, which is good. It's a good thing when it's it's hilarious.
Speaker 2: The worst that I.
Speaker 1: Don't want to watch that. No, give me someone killed someone, someone lying about something.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I may have to check my Netflix.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're kidding. Okay, see they need our brains are broken.
Speaker 2: I don't need to remember because it's right there.
Speaker 1: It's right there. Jason, what time is it? Don't say say how long we've been going, because they didn't start the timer for I'll waste your time.
Speaker 2: It's eleven or five.
Speaker 1: I said, don't say that.
Speaker 2: Sorry, you said don't.
Speaker 1: We're cutting that out, cut that out everything. We have to start over, start over.
Speaker 2: He thanks for having me on today.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad you could do this. I heard you were at dinner last night with someone tiny world.
Speaker 2: And you were with crazy.
Speaker 1: Incredible crazy. Here do you guys go? We went to a place called We're really starting.
Speaker 2: Actually, I really do want to know where you are in Brooklyn?
Speaker 1: In Brooklyn? Have you been? No?
Speaker 2: It was really are you in Brooklyn?
Speaker 1: I am in Brookly. I'm in fake Brooklyn, but I'm in Brooklyn. And you know what I mean by fake Brooklyn. I just think, yeah, exactly. We won't say the exact but you know what I'm doing.
Speaker 2: I think I know where you are.
Speaker 1: You know where I live.
Speaker 3: I'm yeah, yeah, Justin came to me yesterday. Okay, and are you in downtown Manhattan?
Speaker 1: You're downtown Manhattan. Okay, where did you guys go? Because I'm supposed to find a restaurant for a friend and I for tomorrow tomorrow.
Speaker 3: We went to a place called Graciela, which is in the West Village. It is a Argentinian chef who has a restaurant in Buenos Aires. His only other restaurant Don Julio, which was at one point in the top ten restaurant World's fifty Best Restaurants in the World, and he this is his first restaurant outside of Buennosaires and steak meat based, but there's other We had a Brenzeno last night that was amazing and yeah, and it's it's just open as it's really fun and good and it's.
Speaker 1: A good okay, good one to keep in my back pocket. Also, there's a couple of things. My pockets are full.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't keep from this conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, little things I'm putting in my nuggets. It's a little nugget here, little nuggain. When I get hungry, nip it, not too much something. Are you a food guy?
Speaker 2: I am a food guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that yes, you eat it. I eat it, but you care about it.
Speaker 2: I spend my money on it me too, Like that is one of my luxuries in life.
Speaker 3: I indulgences and I and I particularly once I quit drinking.
Speaker 2: God, can I talk anyway?
Speaker 3: This isn't even like a sober podcast, and all I feel like everything I'm talking about is sobriety.
Speaker 1: But Jason, why do we? Why do we?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna start drinking again.
Speaker 3: Shut up, because this way it's not all going to be all about myself.
Speaker 1: Shout it out, Mackenzie, shrilla, You're gonna start drinking again. We have to can the episode. This is crazy.
Speaker 2: This is a time cap. Don't the beginning of the end For Jason Biggs.
Speaker 1: It all started here people famous, but I also ruined your fucking life. Yeah. No, here's the thing. I'm so curious. Maybe you have this answer. You seem philosophical. Why do we like I kind of asked it with the whole fellowship of it all when that came up. Why are we so cringe about ourselves? What is that like? Because you're like, oh, I'm talking about sobriety. We keep finding ourselves organically there. I'm fine with it. I'm getting nuggets. I judging you, yeah, but I'm not judging you like we're all kind of be like, oh no, I'm talking like about myself. These people don't want to hear me talk about me. I didn't bring you on to talk about me, even when you asked me a question. I was going to be like, now, Jason.
Speaker 3: I do have a tendency to do that when I'm a guest on things. I'm like, I have a question for you, which.
Speaker 1: Is fair and I allow one or two, but but but.
Speaker 2: I hit my quota.
Speaker 1: You got one left, but I think you shouldn't use it because I'm finding it's interesting. I want to what do you think this is about humans that were just like O cringe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the things I do and this kind of connects maybe to needs and not taking care of myself and who how is everyone else? Is like that hyper awareness and hyper sensitivity to how other people are and making sure their comfort levels are where they should be as opposed to my own. I can deal with my own discomfort because that's what I do, and so making sure everyone's okay. So this need to apologize for myself, I've always had it something I'm working on.
Speaker 2: It's not a great quality.
Speaker 3: It is and it isn't it can be, particularly as it helped me survive to survive growing up, but like, yeah, ultimately I still do apology. I'm still like sorry, should I not be talking about it? You know, whether it presents in different weird ways? And I guess it just did by me going, oh am I talking too much about sobriety. So I'm just you know, obviously I'm still insecure. I mean, I I you know, in some regards, I'm very confident and know myself fairly well and know what I'm good at, know my limitations, and in other senses, I'm just still just an insecure.
Speaker 1: Yes, no, you're an insecure. I want you to finish.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just I'm insecure and worried about what other people think.
Speaker 1: So what you just described to me is a human. He's but a human. Now, mind you. I can sider on my little is this real leather? That's not someone confidently being like, no, honey, it's plastic. I can sit on my little plastic chair and say that to you with full confidence. Now, mind you. I hold myself to an insane standard, so human interaction rate, I don't fucking know. That's why I'm like, I thought you might have an answer about why we all do that thing, because it's not just you.
Speaker 2: Do you mean to a high stand what's the standards? What regards?
Speaker 1: It's almost like perfection is and perfection perfection is not real except for low key when it is real, you see it, like oh those things I went to put tape on the wall and it perfectly lined up, right, It is real. So I don't know that we can deny it. But maybe it's not the coolest thing to pursue.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my theory on perfection is you could pursue it, just be prepared to maybe never get there. Like yeah, like look, at THEE. I have such a respect for like Japanese artisans.
Speaker 2: You ever been to Japan?
Speaker 1: I haven't. My sister just came back and told me I would love it, and I know that I would. It's on my list.
Speaker 3: The thing about they have trades, people, crafts, people, chefs, all kinds of industry where they get incredibly specific with what they do.
Speaker 2: A person, does.
Speaker 3: You hear, we'd say it's so niche, Oh my god, but there it's no one person does this task and will spend his or her entire life doing that one thing. And ultimately, you know, you spend that much time and dedication in the pursuit of perfection, you get.
Speaker 2: Damn good at it, you know.
Speaker 3: I think there's something to be said for that, but also knowing that you're supposed to fail. My issue with perfectionism is, or has been I expect to get there right away, and so as a result, I fear failure big time. And I started I started acting when I.
Speaker 2: Was a little kid.
Speaker 3: I was five years old when I started acting, and so I had tons of failure when I was a kid.
Speaker 2: But I was a kid.
Speaker 3: So when you're a kid dealing with failure, it's a lot different now. Yeah, I mean I probably dealt with rejection and had conversations about I got fired from a job when I was you know, like when I was a teenager. I was in the office of the executive producer who was firing me.
Speaker 2: I was fourteen being fired for me.
Speaker 3: That's like, that's not something a fourteen year old, I feel like deals with usually. But and dealing with all that rejection and failure as a kid has certainly prepared me as an adult, I guess. But also it has made me very clear, and I think a not a good way, or it made me think I'm clear about what I can and can't do. And so what I think I can't do, I don't even pursue anymore. And what I can do, what I've achieved success in since I was a little kid, Like that's the thing I'm good at. I'll keep doing that. And you know, I finally directed. I've always wanted to direct. I finally directed a movie two years ago. I'm forty eight, So I was forty six years old, and I had had other opportunities and also I you know, just sort of never really pursued it. I wasn't really proactive about it until the last couple of years of my life because I was afraid I fail. I was like, oh, I know what I can do as an actor. I've achieved some great success as an actor, and even acting, I'm like, you know, I did a lot of dramatic work before American Pie, so I've always felt like I can do drama. But even still, once I hit with American Pie, and that success happened.
Speaker 2: When I continue from.
Speaker 1: American Pie, it just clicked for me.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, I'm no no, no, I wasn't in American Pie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, I'm not in it.
Speaker 3: This was something that I'm talking about rejection. I auditioned for didn't get it.
Speaker 2: I didn't get it. No, I'm kidding. I'm fucking with you. I'm fucking with you.
Speaker 1: Back I go back, fucking a Jason.
Speaker 2: Mirror medicine. Here's some medicine.
Speaker 1: Give me my pocket. Okay, I'm sorry. It was very funny, but it was bad.
Speaker 3: I was good, except that people that are gonna be like, oh God, she really doesn't know, and he's really thinks she doesn't know.
Speaker 1: You were making such a good point in some and it's gonna comment she should have let him finish the please finish.
Speaker 2: I don't remember.
Speaker 1: Now, you don't do that.
Speaker 2: I don't remember what I was saying. So Jason, what happened, I don't remember.
Speaker 1: I will not let you leave.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what I was saying was.
Speaker 3: I But even so, once American Pie hit, and once they did a bunch of the similar kind of comedies in the years after American Pie, you know, you you kind of it's easy to sort of go, that's what I'm that's what I'm good at, and I and and so you get more reluctant to actively pursue things that are different.
Speaker 2: Not everyone.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, Heath Ledger hits with ten Things I Hate about You, and immediately it's like, I'm not doing that movie ever again. I want to do this, yeah, you know, and he's like, I know what I can do when he went and did it. I'm not comparing myself to Heath Ledger. In fact, the opposite. I was like, oh good, I'm good at comedy. I'll just keep doing commed. But I also can do drama, you know, And I just know. But the directing thing was always something as a little kid, when I was on.
Speaker 2: Sets, I was like that's really good.
Speaker 3: I would pay attention, I would try to like learn and just fascinated me. And I there's an I came across an interview like a magazine or a newspaper clipping article recently that I had saved my mom. He was at my mom's house and it was from when I was twelve, and they asked what I want to do when I grow up.
Speaker 2: I was like, I want to direct.
Speaker 3: But yet at some point along the way, I achieved all this success as an actor and I got afraid to do anything else. I didn't want to pursue directing because what if I failed, Like I don't want to be fall flat on my face, Like what if I'm not good? What if I end up not being good? What if it doesn't work?
Speaker 2: You know. It's like.
Speaker 3: And so I fear is that thing, and it's like, listen, you're not going to be a perfect director. I'm not going to be I'm not going to make a perfect movie, certainly, not out of the gate made probably ever, but like just do it.
Speaker 2: Like but it's that fear of not being perfect right away.
Speaker 3: But I don't think as a rule in general that perfection is something you shouldn't or can't strive for You just have to be aware that you're probably not gonna get it, and that's okay, I don't know, that's my That's good though.
Speaker 1: I like that because you don't deny its existence and it's not a bad thing to strive for it. Inherently, it's not bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And also like the learning from the mistakes and also just the for me once I finally did direct this movie, one of the biggest lessons, of course, was just taking the leap and overcoming a fear and just doing it and being open and going into it. You know, I thought I had to get into the set and I had to as a director, and I had to know everything already, you know, like I needed to have all the answers, right, They're going to come to me with questions. I need to have all the answers. I did didn't have to have all the answers. In fact, there were people on that set who were much more capable than I was at specific things. And so it is about asking for help and again asking for help.
Speaker 2: It's such a big thing, all.
Speaker 1: The little tidbits of it and mirror.
Speaker 3: On how much my personal life affects my work and vice versa. It's like, you know, yeah, because I've changed so much as a person in the last decade plus, like significantly changed. I'm a parent, I'm you know, a husband, sober, like the massive life changes. And for many years my career wasn't sort of reflective of that. And I had these new things to sort of contribute as a worker that I you know, whether it's director or an actor that I you know, wasn't allowing my the things that I had learned in life to sort of take into that. You know.
Speaker 2: I was like, no, I'm just an actor. I'm just an actor for hire. It's what I do.
Speaker 3: And yeah, and when I am an actor for hire, it is that's that's what. But like, oh, I can bring other things. I'm I am. I'm not the kid from American Pie anymore. I was in a movie called American Pie came out in ninety nine.
Speaker 1: Never heard of it.
Speaker 2: Was know, that's I could tell. That's what I'm going to tell you.
Speaker 1: Born in two and five.
Speaker 3: Five, So no, I know so so so Yeah, ask your parents about it. I'm sure they're fans of mine. They're sure they're fans of mine. They just really big worldwide. It was pretty big worldwide, okay, uh, kind of everywhere.
Speaker 1: American pie popping off nur.
Speaker 2: Also, it played very well there there.
Speaker 1: Okay, and you know this for a fact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I did a press tour.
Speaker 1: I'll check with my mom. If Jason say your last name for me one more time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, prob Bateman, Jason Bateman.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll check. Wait, but I worked with Jason Bateman on SNEL before, so you were there.
Speaker 2: I go, what's.
Speaker 3: You have?
Speaker 2: Hilarious? It is one of my favorites. I done it in my top ten for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's so good to see you go right a go, yes, yes, go. The way you say it makes me hate my name. I'm sorry, sorry, no, no, no, I have I have so many things I want to ask you. Here's what I'll do. I'm going to try to respect your time. Damn it. That's set you up for failure that we haven't even started yet.
Speaker 2: It's fine.
Speaker 1: You and your heart out? Can I ask you something really personal?
Speaker 2: Do I really have a heart?
Speaker 1: Your heart out real?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, so the heart out. It's a great question.
Speaker 1: Because the heart out is not real most of the time a heart out, not ten times. A heart out is not real.
Speaker 3: I would have got I'd go eight out of ten, but you're probably yeah, let's go eight and a half out of ten. Part out is the great is bullshit? Okay, I the reason I have a heart out today.
Speaker 1: I don't have to tell me why, but I'll take it.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you why because otherwise you won't believe me.
Speaker 1: Okay, go off.
Speaker 2: I'm going to see my son.
Speaker 1: He is everyone and their kids. It's like me being like my dog. I have to pick my dog up.
Speaker 2: My dog's by also my dog.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my dog is dying.
Speaker 3: Shut the fuck up, and I need to go get him and have my son.
Speaker 1: Didn't you just finish up here?
Speaker 2: Well, but I need my son.
Speaker 1: Is your dog really dying?
Speaker 2: My son is dying, and so I.
Speaker 1: Need to go see.
Speaker 3: My dog to tell him to eat his homework one last time.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is fuck. It's dark, really dark dark.
Speaker 3: No, my uh, I'm picking my sun up at camp in Long Island. Oh, so I have to get all the way out to Long Island by the time camp ends at three o'clock.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're gonna get you to Long Island, So that means you have to walk twot twenty here. You said it was eleven oh five a little bit ago. Yeah, I decided we're not getting that to twenty here. Well, me and you will talk until about two twenty.
Speaker 2: And I'm getting out to Long Island in forty minutes.
Speaker 1: Because you have a jet. You said you like to indulge a helicopter.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm sorry, And it's not as fast as the jet, okay, so I need to leave it to ten.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we have time. Can someone get Jason something to eat? We're hanging out, Yes, where he's gonna go.
Speaker 2: We catered the helicopter. Okay, I'll be fine.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna let you go, but I do want to you're a game with you. What time? What time?
Speaker 2: Let me really do the math right now? A squared plus B squared. It's called the callback, it's called the calls. I gotta get this way out of here.
Speaker 1: Okay. I do have one question. Okay, here's I have a question, and an I have several others, and.
Speaker 2: Then I have an hour's worth of more.
Speaker 1: Now I'm gonna be quick and concise. I promise you we've talked a lot about the things you're working on and the things about yourself that you feel are less than ideal or other people might think are less than ideal. I see you are at adept at doing that. May I well, I'm not asking permission, I'm doing it. I'm asking a quality of yours that you a good quality of yours that you have enjoyed from childhood to even now even in the present, as you've changed and are working on yourself. What's something that is good that has stuck with you in terms of your character.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, and I think this actually probably connects to that negative quality of taking.
Speaker 2: Care of other people and their needs first and kind of thing.
Speaker 3: But I'm good at reading a room. I'm good at sort of being able to I think taken a tone and sort of you know, play into that tone accordingly. And yeah, I think sort of being able to meet people where they're at without you know, I used to want to be really provocative all the time. I used to, and I still enjoy making the joke that's unexpected and pushing buttons.
Speaker 1: Making my brain break about American pie. You got for example, hard on from that.
Speaker 2: I did still say my legs across. I'm still hard.
Speaker 1: Do you have to go pick up your son?
Speaker 2: I know, well, he's nothing he hasn't seen before, you know, and so.
Speaker 1: I see I like that quality of yours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I just, you know, can kind of like, okay, this is this is the tone, and I just kind of need to meet everyone here. I think that's something that has served me well from the time I was a kid until until now.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, that's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a one too. I don't think everyone obviously everyone can't be anything, but like I don't think as many people as you might imagine are good at reading a room. No, it's actually think it's quite an impressive stect.
Speaker 3: I think you're right, And I also think it has a lot to do. I think too, with like a selfishness, like I am not the only person in this room.
Speaker 2: I don't know what everyone else is dealing with. Let's you know, just patience. I think like it's a it's a let them show you as opposed to like you kind of dictating what the tone needs to be of a room. I don't know.
Speaker 3: No, I feel like I used to feel the need to come in and you know, and perform and do the whole thing.
Speaker 2: And it's like, you know, maybe I just need to let you know.
Speaker 1: I like that. But who am I? You know?
Speaker 2: I don't know who are you?
Speaker 1: I thought should be working together. My name is Ago. Say it, but don't because I hate when you do. Okay, that's gonna make us move on to the next segment.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, snla, No, you're supposed to say I know you from Thanks Dad.
Speaker 1: I heart podcast. I know, shut up?
Speaker 2: Hold on, you have a podcast.
Speaker 1: I was in Saved the Last Dance. Come on, I was and saved by the Mount. No, I was saved.
Speaker 2: I was in Saved my career.
Speaker 1: Please, I'm saying all these things and hopes you guys, she can act.
Speaker 3: Please, we're beg whatever. You've had like four movies come out since I saw you last.
Speaker 1: You know what? Life? You just made that up.
Speaker 2: I haven't met you before, so that's that. Hadn't seen you last? But did you just thought you were You've got a movie out.
Speaker 1: I do have what's called it's called Little Brother, And you didn't know that I know it is. You didn't your second question you asked me, I didn't count what's your name again?
Speaker 2: That doesn't count. There are those counties not allowed to ask me question.
Speaker 1: Throw you out of here, all the way to Long Island to get your son, and you're fake dog.
Speaker 3: You have to throw me out to Long Island. You just throw me to the West thirtieth Street Heliport, Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: You do have a plane. What's something you've indulged? You spend money. I do want to know what crazy indulgence?
Speaker 2: Lately?
Speaker 1: We're crazy as ever.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I mean yeah, I mean I have fucking chartered a plane. I mean I you have I have done that how much? I once chartered a plane that I couldn't take and it just sat on the tarmac all night. Well the pilots. I kept checking in with the pilots because I was stuck on set. So Hollywood, I chartered a plane. Chartered a plane to my friend's bachelor party in Vegas. My best friend's bachelor party, and I was going to be filming late Friday night, thinking I was going to be done like one in the morning.
Speaker 2: So I chartered a plane. It's just La to Vegas. It wasn't like a you know, crazy, but but it was still like myself.
Speaker 3: Two pilots might be and spend the money, paid, paid it, and and then the filming kept going later and later and later, and I would be checking in with my pilots and they they were like, we're still here, Like whatding do you think you're going to finish? I was like, hopefully another hour, maybe another hour. They'd be like, okay, just let us know. And then eventually, at like four in the morning, I was just like, they were like, we have to take a break at some something, and I was just like, you know what, just go yeah. And also Jason and I canceled them.
Speaker 2: I was like, just that was the.
Speaker 1: Weird chartered a plane and didn't get to take.
Speaker 2: It and then didn't get to.
Speaker 1: So you don't want to sleepy pilot. By the way, even if it is just to Vegas. I'm like trying to pull an all nighter for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not And I was like every time I checked in with them, they were they were drinking. So every time I was checking with them, they were getting drunker and you could tear them slurring their words.
Speaker 2: Just one more hours, yeah, we'll be.
Speaker 1: At the mind someone in the background yelling shots okay, yeah, glad you're here with us. Is what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 2: But okay, I spend my money on food.
Speaker 1: Me too. But here's perfect, perfect segue. It's time for a segment called that's nice, But what about me?
Speaker 2: Okay, I love it, it's great.
Speaker 1: I want to know a restaurant I should try besides Grassiella in the city Los Angeles or New York, Los Angeles. I meant to say, see my brain's breaking New York or Los Angeles, that I should try.
Speaker 3: Okay, a restaurant, A restaurant, Okay, well, boy, can you give me some parameters.
Speaker 1: On I like almost everything. I don't enjoy saffron this seasoning.
Speaker 2: Okay, so stay away from Indian, not totally, and don't clip that.
Speaker 1: Just like that. Stay away from Indian. Somebody clip this man. Stay away from a voice an Ai Jason Bing's ways. Yes, okay, I like Indian food, Okay.
Speaker 2: Not everything as saffron. Yes, but that's interesting.
Speaker 3: You don't like saffron though, most expensive spice in the world. And I, I mean, I guess that's a good for me. It's great you don't like I love it. I needed and everything myself. I was at dinner last night with Leah. I was like telling her that the week before I'd gone to dinner with the Mutual Front. I like to eat out a lot too, And I was like, yeah, we went to this Indian restaurant and I just told the server. I was like, hey, if something has saffron and it's not listed here, like, can you just alert me because I will absolutely take it off the list of things I'm getting. And Lee and I have this whole conversation as we're ordering our dinner, and I didn't say we weren't at an Indian restaurant. We read a Latin American restaurant.
Speaker 2: Yesterday.
Speaker 1: Our main dish was talking to her last course and I go, this.
Speaker 3: Is saffron out at saffron heady, saffron down.
Speaker 1: She goes, it is the color of it, And I go and I told you I could taste it a mile away. I'm like, it's not so prominent, but it's such a taste for me that I can like if you sprinkle it.
Speaker 3: I'm like, yeah, wow, And is it not an allergy? You didn't like start convulsing on the you were It was just a strong dislike.
Speaker 1: Maybe I should actually I did start. No, I just don't like the flavor. So wait where Tu'm but it doesn't matter, just your favorite.
Speaker 2: There's a place I love in Queens called Saffron City.
Speaker 1: Okay, go to hell.
Speaker 2: They have these dump Oh sorry.
Speaker 1: You're not a friend at all. You'll tell me after. But Grassi Grossi is a good one.
Speaker 2: Grossil is a good one, just brand new? Do it? Yes?
Speaker 3: Do you like?
Speaker 2: You eat everything besides Saffron?
Speaker 1: I eat most things. I'm weird about pork, but I but I hate pork, but I'm weird about it. Like I'll eat bacon, I'll eat pork sauces.
Speaker 2: You know it's interesting. But yeah, I don't eat a lot of pork. But if a restaurant, it's a nicer restaurant, has a pork chop.
Speaker 3: On the menu, this is one of my rules of eating. I will always order it. And I just had what is maybe the best pork chop in New York City.
Speaker 2: Go Poros. It's a Greek restaurant in Tribeca, a pork chop. It was seasoned perfectly, and I asked the waiter.
Speaker 3: I said, well, the chef prepared this medium rare for me, because some kitchens will not do pork medium rare because they they're like skews white meat chicken. We're a little afraid we won't do that, liability kinds of which I'm like, I don't.
Speaker 2: I've never heard of. But pork if it's a good piece of pork, medium, rare, and this was phenomenal, paros parros.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell you what, tell me what go medium?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Just as a black woman?
Speaker 2: Okay, why what does that have to do with why medium? Medium?
Speaker 1: Because me and undercooked meats? Have you seen this sketch this girl did on SNL. Not me, No, somebody, this other person, right, it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Me, right, of course. The tough meat, the tough meat, that was the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Tough meat, the whole the extra extra extra.
Speaker 2: Well does is that a cultural thing that I'm not aware? Aware of?
Speaker 1: That as well?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry? No, sorry? Oh fuck? Am I just being so racist right now?
Speaker 1: It's so fun.
Speaker 2: How, No, I have a friend, I used to have a friend, a black friend.
Speaker 1: Like one ever? Clip that? What more do I need? Clip that? In terms of black friends? Yeah, I love this. The title of this episode, Jason Biggs is so over. Jason Biggs is done. Honey.
Speaker 2: It is a thing.
Speaker 1: It is a thing, but it's more complex than we can discuss in the sixty seconds we have here. I shan't keep you.
Speaker 2: But we are gonna play medium though, which is medium? Medium?
Speaker 1: I graduated to medium from well done? Okay, thank you so much. Mal C.
Speaker 2: Do you speak any other languages?
Speaker 1: I say a couple of words in other language, A couple of words like mal c.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's Italian.
Speaker 1: Italian, Grassier, French, yep. Anyway, Jason, you need to go get your made up son. We're gonna play Thanks, no thanks, and then I'm gonna set you free into the world. Okay, thanks, no thanks. Would you be saying thanks or no thanks if you received the following gifts A free T shirt given for being a top blood donor no thanks? Oh you don't want the free tea?
Speaker 2: Why? Because I have so much shit that I end up getting.
Speaker 3: I'm getting better about not hoarding and trying to keep my simplify, get rid of they don't you know, keep it? Donate it to someone else please who might actually need to wear a T shirt? Respect Happy to just give you my blood and then faith and that as well. Okay, unless you're black or Indian, will not my blood is for white people only.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, Jason, you're making my job. It's so easy. A ferbie that will simply not shut up.
Speaker 2: Thanks, I'm gonna take that and give it to my made up son.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Okay, an aggressive wake up call service.
Speaker 2: What do you mean by aggressive like get the fuck out of bed?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like that that kind of thing, or aggressive meaning like it's constantly, like even in the middle of the game.
Speaker 2: It's a little bit of both.
Speaker 1: It's that, it's get the fuck out of bed, it's constant.
Speaker 3: It's but I'm gonna say thanks because I am paranoid about sleeping through an alarm, paranoid about punctuality, and I will say thanks to that.
Speaker 1: Okay. A horse, horse not whores. Wait what a horse? Not a multiple horse, a giddy up horse.
Speaker 2: I'd say thanks, Okay.
Speaker 1: Supplement they swear by, the gift giver swears by no thanks as you condescension, judgment.
Speaker 2: The judgment are you No?
Speaker 3: I was just thinking, like i've the irony because I've there was a time you hand me a pill.
Speaker 2: I would happily take it.
Speaker 3: No questions asked, Wow, oh man, the stuff that I was handed and just and now I'll be like, do I need that?
Speaker 2: Do I want that? I've got my own cock.
Speaker 1: You saw me.
Speaker 2: I started this.
Speaker 1: He started by taking this is This is not a TV show, it's a podcast.
Speaker 2: I started this podcast by taking a handful of pills. You did.
Speaker 3: I know, so I have very specific I think I'd inquire about it. Maybe i'd say thanks, But if it's just that you want this, I'd go, no thanks.
Speaker 1: Loosen a dirty hand, gross, No thanks, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's some of your pocket lint.
Speaker 1: No thanks, thanks, that's where I keep the nuggets. Oh, and that it's time for thank you next. I'm sorry this is longer than I imagine, but you're fun and I'm canceling you, okay from care.
Speaker 2: I tell you honestly what I'm thinking right now. I'm like, yeah, there is a world I could be I like, you literally could.
Speaker 1: Get I could clip it in a way that would be whack.
Speaker 3: Even in a way where you didn't intend for it. You're just like, oh, this could be funny, just show this. But then it's someone else says, because by the way, even if you do air that stuff in full context where it's like, oh funny, someone else could go like that, and then I'm canceled, not from you, but because of my product of.
Speaker 1: So it's like, thanks dad, do you have enemies? And like a one hundred minutes ago, but I do want to know if you have enemies? No, okay, good, I think you're gonna be okay. Then thank you next for I might be enemy. What's a question you'd like to ask our next guest?
Speaker 3: A question like that ask my next guest, my next guest, I would like to ask you you're gonna have an next guest.
Speaker 1: This isn't over because you're getting canceled and the podcast isn't getting canceled. You're getting canceled.
Speaker 2: I just don't know that you can after me being on this show. I just don't know that.
Speaker 3: First of all, I feel bad your next guest, I just read that way, But I say, what what what? What would the version of you from twenty years ago be most surprised to see about you now?
Speaker 1: I like that now, Cam Patterson. Previous guest wants to know who's your favorite rapper and why is it Rod Wave?
Speaker 2: I don't know who rod Wave is?
Speaker 1: Is that your final land.
Speaker 2: And my favorite rapper? Since it can't be rod Wave? Since I don't know Rod Wave. Have I heard his music or her music? I don't know their music.
Speaker 1: I've heard of broad Waves.
Speaker 2: You don't know either. Okay, I'm twelve years old. I don't wait, is that true? I don't know who I don't know is either?
Speaker 1: He looks twelve. Cam is on a show called Saturday Night Live. New cast member.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, okay, amazing are there though?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, I've hosted so many times.
Speaker 1: Okay, favorite rapper.
Speaker 2: Favorite rapper. Listen. I'm old and old school, so.
Speaker 3: You funk master flex? Uh no, Like I'm like a tribe called quest guy.
Speaker 1: Let's go Q tip Q tip vibrant thing. Yeah, okay, that's I will take it.
Speaker 2: Great. We're one of the I mean any wu tang? I mean I don't know? Yeah? Do you yeautiful? Anyway?
Speaker 1: I support it. That feels like a valid answer.
Speaker 2: And with that, Jason, thank you canceled. With that, Jason, You're canceled.
Speaker 1: You're done for honey, And it was a pleasure having you. Shit. Thanks Dad is a production of Will Ferrell's Big Money Players and iHeart Podcasts. I'm your host, Ago wodem. Our producer is Kevin Bartelt, and our executive producer is matt Appadaka