Speaker 1: Hey, that folks. It is Tuesday, July first, and the first full day of deliberations is underway in the Ditty trial. And sure enough, this morning, within an hour we heard from the jury once again, welcome to this did he update episode of Amy and TJ Robes it is? This jury keeps it interesting. But they've sent another note. We'll get the details about. There at least three notes they've sent with some kind of either problem or question. Right, but what do we Isn't this a good sign that they're taking this seriously?
Speaker 2: Yes, And I love that they're inquisitive and asking questions because it shows they want to make sure that they're understanding things clearly and fully. And so yes, three notes with questions, two notes with just letting the judge know who the four person was and when they wanted to end the day. But yeah, five notes total, three with questions in just what six and a half seven hours of.
Speaker 3: Deliberation so far.
Speaker 2: So that is a pretty active jury who is engaging directly with the judge quite often.
Speaker 1: Well, they and again it's like yesterday we got a note within an hour. Today or in about an hour today, we actually got the note within an hour And this just I was just struck by Wow. They've only been there chatting it up for a short time. They came with the very specific things that they wanted this morning. But before any of that either had it could even take place, we did, Like we say, usually there's some housekeeping in the courtroom before the jury actually gets going. We had that again. But it was interesting today. A couple of notes from the folks in the courtroom that we keep up with. On a personal note from Diddy having to do with his family, the lack of family, and frankly, what sounds like a sweet moment with his mom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he told her he liked her outfit, did he not?
Speaker 2: He said he loved what she was wearing. It's a green and white zebra looking outfit. But yeah, he was able to whisper in her ear and he told her basically, it's I'm gonna be okay.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he sounded it sounded sweet, it sounded reassured. Look, we're only doing it. We can only do this by reading comments from reporters in the room, but a couple of them took note that he had more of an interaction with his mom. However, he only has his mom was the only one in the courtroom today at first, I believe his sister, right.
Speaker 2: Or his sister has now just shown up with his mom to for this reading of this latest note that the jury said, So they came back. They had been hanging out in the cafeteria, I believe, and so they came up to be there with him. But yet we actually went by the courthouse earlier this morning, and it is active outside. Folks are waiting anxiously, it seems, outside of the courtroom. So yeah, it's been it's been an active day. But the courtroom itself, they say a fewer people are inside the actual courtroom today, understandably.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean, it's supposed to be boring because it's supposed to be no action in court. The judge comes in, he gallbols everybody to order, welcome to the jury, go do your work, and then we wait. So all we're doing is sitting and waiting. All did he is doing is sitting and waiting at the courthouse and a holding cell with his books that he's allowed to have. But this is a waiting game. Now, the back and forth with the lawyers to answer the questions Roode's other point here, before we get into these, before we get into the notes that they did send, this seems to be taking time, like it's drawing deliberations that we're all already expected to not go that quickly. It seems like we're losing a lot of time on notes already.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: But honestly, you and I have talked about it. We looked at as much as we could, we read the judge's instructions.
Speaker 3: To the jury.
Speaker 2: This is a complicated case. This is not did he do it, did he not do it? This is so much more than that, and each charge is very specific and hard to grasp what is what, So the language they're having issue with some of the at least that was the question that they gave the judge before they broke deliberations yesterday, and it was the question that they had to answer this morning first thing, and it was about what it means to distribute drugs. I mean, it's it is a little unclear.
Speaker 1: So that's yes, that's how the days started. They sent a note yesterday, Yes, because we debated right here about it. Right, if I go get drugs from this person and then they're from my personal use and then I'm hanging out with somebody else and said, hey, you want one of my pills and give it to that person. Am I a drug distributor? The prosecutors essentially are saying, hell yeah. But the jury asked that question, and this morning, before things got started, the judge did give the official response, that's right.
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny you say that, because the prosecution asked that the judge just simply respond to that question with a yes.
Speaker 3: The defense not so much.
Speaker 2: They wanted to refer the jury back to a full set of instructions and other parts of the charge, kind of confusing. The judge said, okay, here's what I'm going to do.
Speaker 3: So he told the.
Speaker 2: Jury to refer back to page thirty seven, lines one through three of its jury charge, and then he quoted the language from the instruction.
Speaker 3: So here is what they said. This is what the judge told the jury.
Speaker 2: The word distribution means actual, constructive, or attempted transfer. To distribute simply means to deliver, to pass over, or to hand over something to another person, or cause it to be delivered, passed on, or handed over to another. Distribution does not require a sale.
Speaker 3: I thought that was really interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, once you got to the end. I was confused up to that, Like what does all that mean? And they're having to figure this out. I don't know I could fig it word for word actual constructive or attempted transfer?
Speaker 2: Like even if if I try to give you a pill, that still counts as me being a distributor, even if you didn't take it or if you didn't want it.
Speaker 1: Fine, what's a constructive transfer?
Speaker 3: It actually was something that happened.
Speaker 2: There was there was a there was something that happened from the transfer. You actually received the pill. That would be how I read that.
Speaker 1: What if I caused it to be passed on?
Speaker 2: Doing you told someone else, hey give If I told a friend of mine, hey give this pill to TJ.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's my next question I would send if I was sitting the jerk, Can we ask this, Am I a distributor if I never touched the drug? If I tell my guy go pick up these drugs, he comes back to the room with the stuff and then he gives a pill, that would be my next question.
Speaker 2: The way I read it, the answer is yes to that, because you are causing it to be delivered, passed on, or handed over to another, not necessarily directly by your hand, but you've caused the transfer to happen.
Speaker 3: You've ordered or asked for the transfer to happen.
Speaker 1: And this is what they're trying to figure out. Yeah, and to the possibly send this man to jail for the rest of his life. They're having to figure that out. Now. It's feeling weightier and weightier that it comes down to nuance and legalese and one pill and my understanding and comprehension of the law and your understanding and comprehension. And you're a deli clerk and I'm a molecular biologist. And the guy down at the end there is a retired banker, and this one over here as an analyst. And you're from Westchester and I'm from the Bronx. This is what you're trying to get on the same page about this. Yes, so, mar you've been my best friend for five years. You and I are not gonna see eye to eye on this quest. I'm saying, even sitting here with you, we can't come to Oh, okay, I get it. Oh that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Oh I see now, it seems just it seems ridiculous when you think about how many times in your life. If you even just put it to like alcohol or something else you're giving someone, Suddenly now you're committing some racketeering charge that could put you away for the rest of your life because you handed something to someone or you told someone to give someone something that may or may not be illegal. That's something that a lot of folks will take to heart and probably personalize and humanize. And so I know they're not supposed to do that. This is supposed to be about the law, but that law is not something that I think most people are familiar with. It is a law that just seems like the punishment is fairly intense given what the alleged crime is.
Speaker 1: Oh, so we answered that question for the jury this morning when they first got started. Sends them back to deliberate and what was it forty five minutes I believe. Later they give another note and they were very specific about what they wanted in the note. So this is the fresh note now that we got from the jury today about forty five minutes into deliberations, and they wanted to hear ropes from two people in particular.
Speaker 2: Yes, they are asking for key testimony transcripts.
Speaker 3: Yes, this happened around ten fifteen this morning.
Speaker 2: It's taken a while for it to all take place in court because they had to bring Diddy back into court, his mother, his sister, and by the way, his youngest daughter I just saw is back in court today with them as well, so he's got three members of his family, but everyone had to get seated again, the defense and the prosecution. So finally, this is what the jury said. They would like to see the.
Speaker 3: Specific transscripts up.
Speaker 2: Number one, they want to see Cassie Ventura's testimony regarding the Intercontinental incident, that, of course is the surveillance video that we've all seen. Number two, they want to see Cassie Ventura's testimony concerns about the events at Cannes and the immediate and.
Speaker 3: What happened afterwards.
Speaker 2: So they want to hear what she testified to about what happened when she and Diddy went to can They also want venturas testimony regarding interactions and freak offs, specifically with the male escort Daniel Phillip. And they want Daniel phillips testimony regarding the Essex Hotel incident with Ventur because I believe that is the moment in which he said she didn't want to continue the freak off he heard, he claims, he testified, did he slapping her around? There was some beating going on, and then he told her to get back in and continue the freak off. And that's when Daniel Phillips said he couldn't actually perform because of what he witnessed. He just wasn't able to get heart basically.
Speaker 1: So I don't know why. I mean, just it's just fascinating to think of what's happening in the jury room that they are focused on this particular guy.
Speaker 2: It's racketeering still, I believe because they're trying to this is either kidnapping or this is sex trafficking within the racketeering charge because that those are two of the or coersion forced labor is another one of the crimes that could fit the racketeer. So it could be any of those things.
Speaker 1: And it is fair to say, I mean, we don't know how they are working in there, but does it makes sense that they would do this one at a time right right now? It's all racketeering, right right. We haven't gotten to the other four. It seems again we don't know.
Speaker 2: It seems like they're checking off the racketeering charges to see if there's enough to fit right, so the drug charges, whether it's forced labor or sex trafficking, a corrosion, one of those things, because I had to go back and look what happened in Can. But there were two parts to her testimony about Can. One, she talked about getting kicked off the yacht without shoes and without her passport because she and Diddy got into a fight over her. He claimed she stole drugs from him. But then there was also something she spoke about in the flight on the way home from Can where she claimed that she saw him watching videos of a freak off with her that she thought he had deleted and showing them to other people in a way that made her feel intimidated. So it could be either one or both of that part of her testimony.
Speaker 1: Again reminder, he's they have to prove. They have to be convinced that he committed crimes that he's actually not charged with. That sounds crazy, but to be convicted of racketeering, they have to be convinced you committed at least two of this long list of other crimes. And so they're having to go through and check off did he do kidnapping, arsery, arson, bribery, forced labor transportation, to engage in prostitution, possession with the intent to distribute, witness tampering. They have to go through he said he did he do at least two of these with one other person. If so, he's guilty of racketeering and he could possibly go to jail the rest of his life.
Speaker 3: Right, And that is the other key.
Speaker 2: He had to conspire with someone in any of those crimes you just listed off. He couldn't have done it on his own because that wouldn't be racketeering. He has to do it with someone within his enterprise, as the prosecution has called it. So that's even more confusing. Even if you could say, okay, we think he did one or two or several of these things.
Speaker 3: It wouldn't matter.
Speaker 2: They have to actually believe and see that he did it with a co conspirator.
Speaker 3: That's wild to me.
Speaker 2: That's why that specific charge, which again carries the longest prison term life in prison up to life in prison, is a bizarre crime that I don't think a lot of us understand because it almost feels like a trumped up charge or and I know it's a charge that they use in mob bosses and other but it just isn't one that I think many of us are very familiar with.
Speaker 1: We hear about it, right, I hear about it plenty, and nobody could ever a rico case of Sean Diddy Colmbs. It's just this is what they're trying to piece get. Look, the law is law, and they have used this before in ways that this rico statue that has nothing to do with Maha barses prosecutors have been using. Hey R. Kelly is sitting in jail right now with a racketeering charge, so they have used it before. It's it's hard and it's fascinating here to try to piece together. This all has come about today after yesterday's I don't want to call it rocky. It was a little bizarre, but I don't know what to make of it. But it seems everything is calmed down. We haven't heard anything more about JURR number twenty five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have not gotten an update.
Speaker 2: It seems as though I guess this is one of those moments where you just figure no news is good news, that somehow they figured it out, because right away there must have just been a turbulent start or juring number twenty five for whatever reason, the other jurors felt like he was not willing to play nice, or he wasn't willing to deliberate, or he wasn't willing to participate in what they believed was what the judge told them to do, which was to actually sit down and try to work things out, and maybe he had already made up his mind.
Speaker 3: That was our best guess.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to hear one of the jurors come out and explain what exactly was going on with jur number twenty five, because I cannot think of another explanation other than he had just already made up his mind and did not want to have a conversation.
Speaker 1: The judge, you know, send them back, said you all keep doing your thing, and they have continued to do so. But we I don't know. I'm holding my breath, it seems because a verdict could come any moment in this trial, any moment. But then every note that I've seen so far, like wow, they're nowhere closes It almost aems like they're just getting started. I know, well they kind of are, but yesterday with the jury issue and then today with these some of these questions they are. I do not envy this group. So this is all civic duty. We're all supposed to do. This is a responsibility, and they are serving right now.
Speaker 3: They certainly are.
Speaker 2: And I can't help but wonder what the Diddy defense team is thinking right now, because everyone always tries to read the tea leaves about where the jurors are with the questions they ask or the transcripts they want to see. And I don't know if this feels scary to them, if this is reassuring to them. I can't even imagine what this Every single little bit of information that comes down has to just be so jarring for the team, for Diddy, for his mother. Even that's why he said, you know, calm down, it's gonna be all right. But I just can't imagine what that would be like when your life is on the line.
Speaker 1: All right, well, folk, we are keeping a very close eye on it. A reminder of the jury yesterday left at five. That was their their choice, but the judge said he was going to leave it up to them when they wanted to and how they wanted to work during the day, so we could expect them possibly to keep bankers hours they're going to work nine to five, it seems every single day. But man fourth of July is coming, and that's got to be a motivating factor for this group.
Speaker 3: It has to be. It certainly has to be.
Speaker 2: But we of course will keep our eye on that Manhattan Courthouse and we will jump in jump back on your feet if there are any updates to give you. But until then, I want to thank you for listening to us. I am robot on behalf of my partner T. J. Holmes. Hope you'll have a great day.