Speaker 1: Welcome into the Official Jets Podcast.
Speaker 2: I Eat, Breathe, and Sleep the New York Jets.
Speaker 1: My team that is a tightrope walk across Niagara Falls. That's hard to do.
Speaker 3: It's a game of inches, so finding that one little inch to be successful.
Speaker 1: It all managed.
Speaker 4: The Official Jets Podcast is presented by Kendra Scott, the jewelry company that's shining bright and doing good shop game Day ready, jewelry styles and so much more at kendrascott dot com.
Speaker 5: Welcome into the Official Jets Podcast. Eric Allen here inside the studio, joined by Lejane Dudesable Dudes. Were about a week into free agency. The Jets have been very active on multiple fronts. Your overall thoughts thirty thousand foot field.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there's a thing when you look at a lot of the players that the Jets picked up in free agency, the main theme being all of these guys a running thirty years old, and then when you look at a couple of these guys, they're coming on I don't want to say down years, but not as productive as the twenty three years. So when you look at Aaron Glenn and his past and developing players, they looked at guys that have high upside, that are still very young, that probably still have their best football in front of him. So I think the Jets were very strategic going into this free agency, making sure they targeted certain players that were not over thirty years old, even a guy like Derek Nadi. And I know we're going to go into each players specifically, but this guy has been a starter for majority of his career, didn't start last year, but still can play at a high level and it's still not thirty years old.
Speaker 2: So I think I.
Speaker 3: Don't want to use the word reclamation projects, but essentially that's what ag and Darren Mooji did right. They went and got some of these younger players that are coming off years that weren't weren't their greatest years in the NFL, but still a lot of upside to him.
Speaker 5: Do you think that speaks to the confidence that Aaron not only has in himself but his staff that we're going to be able to take some of these guys who might have struggled most recently and we're going to develop them in house. And then the other side of the coin of that is, hey, if these guys don't come along, a lot of these deals do is our team.
Speaker 3: Frontly without a doubt, and I think they structured those deals where they can get out of a lot of these deals. A lot of them are one year deals, but a couple of the deals they can get out in one or two years.
Speaker 2: So I think it was smart by this staff.
Speaker 3: And also, like you said, to speak to the confidence of Aaron Glenn and his developmental skills. The thing is when you're watching players and then you see it done correctly on tape one time, that means they can do it again.
Speaker 2: And I think that's what Aaron Glenn is thinking.
Speaker 3: That there's so much that goes into a player his psyche going into a contract year, and a lot of times players are so worried about playing their best football that they play a little tight and that could have been an issue. I mean, Andre Cisco, I know we're talking about him later, but that whole secondary struggle in Jacksonville that could be not just on him, it could be schematic wise what they were asking him to do. So AG looks at the twenty three tape and says, this guy was unbelieved. Let's get him on our team. He's also a local kid, I believe from Long Island. So it's gonna mean something for him to come back to the Jets, and I believe I can get him back to that player that he was in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 5: All Right, who are the Jets getting in Justin fields Sky went four and two as a starter last year in Pittsburgh. A lot of the media reports are the Steelers wanted him back instead. He said, you know what, I'm going to the Jets again. He's coming off the season where he started those first six games Russell was injured. He ten touchdowns, ten total touchdowns, five on the ground, five passing touchdowns.
Speaker 1: He turned it over just twice and.
Speaker 3: That was the biggest thing, him protecting the football because that was the issue when he was a younger quarterback. And the crazy thing is, I say a younger quarterback, This guy literally just turned twenty five years old and he's been in the league it seems like forever already.
Speaker 2: So this is a young guy with a lot of upside.
Speaker 3: You talked about him taking the Steelers to a four and two record in the beginning of last year. We know how dynamic he is with his legs in the open field, and what people don't talk about enough is how physical he is. When he becomes a runner, he's extremely hard to bring down. So you always hear the terminology plus one in a run game. That's what Justin Fields gives you. But don't get a toiche. And this guy can throw the pill. Let's not forget. DJ Moore's best career year was with Justin Fields, not all the other quarterbacks he played with. It was with Justin Fields, so he can definitely throw the ball down the field. I think also with Derrick Mujie and also ag they looked at this and said, he's got some synergy and some continuity with our number one receiver, right because he played with Garrett Wilson in college. He played with Germany Record in college. And oh, by the way, we signed his center and Josh Myers to bring him along as well. So he's gonna have some familiar faces on this team where he feels comfortable, knows he's going to be the starter from day one, and we're praying and hoping that we can continue to develop this guy and maybe there's a potential for him to be the long term franchise quarterback for the New York Jets. And I think that's what Justin Fields was looking at and why he decided to sign with the New York just because he knows there's an opportunity if he shows right that he could potentially be the quarterback of the future.
Speaker 5: Six three eight to one hundred and twenty seven pounds, he just turned twenty six years old, and he's coming off a year in Pittsburgh where he set career highs in terms of completion percentage and passer rating. What do you think about his fit in the system now? Tanner Engstrom has not called to play. We know that he's a passing game coordinator with the Lions, but just looking at the personnel, and I really liked the explosive element potentially offensively when you got Fields taking snaps under center, you got Breise Hall behind you, and then you got Karrent Wilson is your number one receiver. Those guys all can take a ball and go fifty plus to dolls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, without a doubt.
Speaker 3: And it'll be interesting to see Tanner Einstring put it handprint on this.
Speaker 2: Offense and what will that exactly exactly look like.
Speaker 3: We don't know because to your point, Yay, he hasn't called games right from the offensive quarters. Or offensive coordinator standpoint. Now, I did love the signing of Scott Turner to help him out. He's a guy who's called a lot of players as his time as an offensive coordinator and been a coach on the offensive side. So I think those two will come together to have an offense Taylor to Justin Field's skill set. Could we see more rpo right with Justin Fields because that's an element of his game that separates him from a lot of other quarterbacks. And also when you talk about the subsequent pieces on the outside of Garrett Wilson, but then also in the backfield of Bresaw, you have to talk about this young offensive line. Let's not forget tennor ingstring. Where'd he come from the Detroit Lions. What do they want to do there? Run the football? You don't think he's gonna want to run the football with this young offensive line the Jets have, right when.
Speaker 2: You look at the youth of this.
Speaker 3: Offensive line from the Jets, besides it's John Simpson and everybody else is essentially the starters on rookie deals. Now there is a needed right tackle and that could potentially happen in the draft or there's still some free agents out there as well. But when you talk about a young, hungry offensive line, right gelling together, they are going to want to run the ball where Breese Hall to take some pressure off Justin Fields. And let's not forget we talked about it earlier. EA, Justin Fields is going to be part of the run game, right, He's gonna be plus one in the run game as well. So I'm excited to see what tenner Ingstring does with this offense when he puts his handprint on it. What will be the philosophy for this offensive and what will its identity be.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to see that.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: This whole podcast could be on Justin Fields. But let's stay here for a second. You played defensive line in the National Football League for more than ten years. What kind of pressure does a guy like Fields point on the defense that front seven? Because you mentioned RPOs, the zone reads, the runs and then also just making a second play with his feet.
Speaker 3: When things break down and there's nobody open, and you could have the perfect defensive call. EA, with a guy like Justin feels it doesn't matter because he can break down the perfect play with his mobility. And I talked about his strength like it's hard to bring him down because you talked about a sixty three two hundred and twenty seven pounds, Like that's a big running back in the league, right, So, like that's tough to bring down in the open field. And then when you have him in the open space and he's able to break contain when a defensive line doesn't have pass rush lane responsibility, Now you're talking about him one on one with his dynamic ability, with his mobility and speed on a linebacker, he's gonna win that ten out of ten times because that's how dynamic he is with it legs.
Speaker 2: So it puts so much stress on a.
Speaker 3: Defensive line because you want to be aggressive when you rush the passer, but you gotta be smart too, because if you're too aggressive and you end up having a big open a gap because both the tackles decided to run on the rush on the outside of the guard and now there's a gaping hole. Not only is it a passing lane for him, but he could keep the ball and run in that a gap and pick up first downs. We saw that multiple times last year with the Pittsburgh Shielders, more specifically on third down.
Speaker 2: You got to think about this right.
Speaker 3: This is a defensive minded coaching Aaron Glynn, and he knows what the skill set that Justin Fields has. He could just keep the offense on the field by scampering and picking up some first downs with his legs. He wants to be able to control the ball and play good defense. And with a mobile quarterback like Justin Fields, that's why it's so tough for defenses to scheme against.
Speaker 5: This is a hell of an opportunity for Fields. Where does he have to get better? When you watch the film and say, okay, listen, he's shown glimpses. He's the former number eleven overall picking the draft back in twenty twenty one. He had a strength there a couple of years ago with the Chicago Bears, where he became the second player in NFL history to have one at least one rush touchdout and one pass touchdown in five consecutive games. The only other players done that is Kyler Murray in twenty twenty. Where does he have to get Butterfields?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So you go back to last year when they're four and two and Mike Tomlin makes a tough decision to go with Russell Wilson.
Speaker 2: It was because the lack of the deep passing game.
Speaker 3: Now we talked about EA, He's gotten better every single year when it comes to completion percentage, but the accuracy down the field when you want to try to get some of those explosive plays to keep that safety out out of the box so you can run the ball effectively, that's where he has to take his game to the next level. I saw him grow in progressions right going through his progressions last year. He got extremely better than that, better than he was his first couple of years in the league because it used to be the first red wasn't there was a tuck and run. But you saw him last year get to his first, second and third read and get the ball out of his hands. Now he has to put it all together and be able to throw the ball down the field and complete some of those big passes down the field. Again, tanner Anstrom comes from the Troy Lions. They're gonna want to run the football, but the way to get that extra safety out of the box, you gott to threaten the ball down the field and the team has.
Speaker 2: The respect that you can make that throw down the field.
Speaker 3: So that's where Justin Phields has to continue to grow as a player from the quarterback position.
Speaker 2: It's the accuracy on the downfield throwing.
Speaker 5: I'm watching the emphasis in this attack on the play action game is gonna help fields.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be monumental. Right, we talked about this young offensive line. John Simpson is a guy that will rip your face mask off as well. Now again, well is to be determined who potentially is the right tackle. I know me and u EA have been through some scenarios. Could Josh Meyers slide into center, Could Joe Tipman move to guard? Could Avt go back to right tackle. I think all that is up to be determined, just depending on what to just do for the rest of free agency, because I know it seems like it's been a month, but to your point, yea, it hasn't even been a week of free agency yet, Like there's still a lot of good players out there to play. And I know people getting enamored with the opening day when the new league year starts or the tampering period starts, because everybody's.
Speaker 2: Like, why isn't this team doing this? Why aren't they doing that?
Speaker 3: We're not even a weekend to free agency. There's a couple of waves and tiers of free agency. There's that initial wave, then there's the second wave, then there's a quick small wave right before the draft, and then after the draft there's another wave for free agency where teams didn't get to pick certain players that they wanted to fill out the roster. That's that last wave before it's training camp. So we're still a long way away from determining what this team will look like, uh, because of the personnel, and the Jets still have a lot of pieces to add as well.
Speaker 2: So you talked about the play action pass game.
Speaker 3: It's going to be monumental, right, but you have to be able to establish a run to have an effective play action pass game, and I know that's something that Tanner andstring is going to want to establish with the New York Jets.
Speaker 5: All right, let's jump around off Tyler Johnson, the receiver who most recently played with the Rams. He signs a free agency as does Stone Smart coming over from the Chargers. So both those guys making the trip from the West coast to the northeast.
Speaker 1: Can you tell me about their potential fits?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Stone Smart, I love that pick.
Speaker 3: I don't know if anybody follows me on Twitter, I went to Twitter right away, it was like, that's an amazing pick. A little bit surprised the Chargers didn't tender him because he was a restricted free agent, a massive human being, right, and he's able to go get the ball in the red zone. He really came on strong at the end of the year when they had some injuries to the tight end position. So again, was a little bit surprised they didn't tender him. But I love this pickup because I believe he can be a weapon down the scene for justin fields and also be a weapon in the red zone going up in high pointing and going to get the football.
Speaker 2: He's an athletic tight end.
Speaker 3: Really loved that signing because it wasn't like it was a as far as findingly, it wasn't a massive signing for the Jets. But again, when you look at roster construction and roster makeup, you need guys like Stone Smart to have a good football team. And then Tyler Johnson is a guy that's kind of been steady at he was with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers with the Rams, and it's just weird when you look at his game, he ate there's always.
Speaker 2: Like one or two games.
Speaker 3: He just explodes on the scene and he had that last year with the Los Angeles Rams as well, So he'll be a guy that's probably mixing it up for that number three, four and five spot at the receiver position.
Speaker 2: He will also give you some help on special teams as well.
Speaker 5: He was a standout receiver at Minnesota. You mentioned that Tampa Bay drafted him. He got some time last year with the Rams after the previous season. I think most of the year he spent on their practice squad. But you mentioned Swart and his ability to get down the field.
Speaker 1: You're seeing an emphasis of speed here.
Speaker 5: Of what Aaron Gladd and Darren Muji wants to do here to put pressure.
Speaker 1: On the defenses.
Speaker 5: And I'm not saying any of these guys are in the category of Jameson Williams or Gibbs. But when you think of Wilson and we talked about this before, and you think about Greece Hall, those are guys who can put a lot of stress on the defense and then smart when you use them in packages. You have to account for his vertical ability.
Speaker 2: Yeah, without a doubt.
Speaker 3: And again I think his athletic ability and ability to get.
Speaker 2: Down the seam.
Speaker 3: I think the Chargers realized, like, this guy can play some ball, Like, let's start getting into him.
Speaker 2: I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 3: I think it was Will Disley that kind of got banged up for them towards the end of the year, and that's when Stone Smart really stepped up for them. So again, a very young player was supposed to be a restricted free agent. They didn't tender him, so he became a free agent. A little bit surprised the Chargers didn't try to bring him back, and they may have, but maybe he decided he just wanted a fresh start somewhere else. So I like that pick up a lot again. He came another young player that came on strong late last year.
Speaker 4: The Official Jets Podcast is presented by Kendra Scott Company that's shining bright and doing good shop game day ready, jewelry styles and so much more at kendriscott dot com.
Speaker 1: What do you make about the moves up front?
Speaker 5: The Jets like their young centaer Joe Tipman A g called him out Indianapolis, but you're bringing a guy Myers, Josh Myers, who not only snapped the ball to justin fields of Ohio State, he's got a lot of starting experience the previous four seasons at the pivot for the Green Bay Packers, and.
Speaker 1: How about a corps four.
Speaker 5: He's a guy who played one week with the Patriots last year. We don't know the full story, but previously he was a starter for the Pittsburgh Steelers, and I got to think that he's looking at this as an opportunity to either compete at the right tackle position or at the very least.
Speaker 1: Dudes, maybe he's a swing tack layer.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I go back to what their Mouji and also ag have kind of targeted when it comes to this free agent class.
Speaker 2: Right Oka four, We'll start with him.
Speaker 3: You talked about it was a constant starter for the Pittsburgh Steelers and honestly thought he had a chance to be, you know, the starter of day one in New England. Now, again we don't know the story and why it didn't work out there, but it goes back to the theme of kind of like reclamation project, like a guy that had a decent or pretty good twenty three season, but not a good twenty four season.
Speaker 2: And you talked about it.
Speaker 3: Josh Myers was essentially a four year starter for the Green Bay Packers, but he's coming off a down year. Wasn't one of his best years in protection as well. And I talked about the psyche of going into free agency. Sometimes players just play a little tight. You don't know what they're doing schematically or what they're asking him to do. Was he maybe banged up last year as well and wanted to fight through some things because he was going to be a free agent.
Speaker 2: You just never know that.
Speaker 3: But for what the Jets signed him for, I think that's a home run pick one because again you talked about it, the continuity and synergy has with Justin Fields having a stat for him at Ohio State, and when you go back to his twenty three and twenty two tape, it was really good, like he was being considered as a top like five center in this league. So I love it from the standpoint because, yes, Joe Tipman is amazing, but you always need a consummate backup and then you're gonna want the best starting five out there.
Speaker 2: Now. Again, would love to keep Joe Tipman at.
Speaker 3: Center, but if Josh Mayas proved throughout training camp that with him at center Tipman at guard, that we have our best starting five, then you have to make that move right at the end of the day, it's about having the best starting five out there.
Speaker 2: And that's why I think a lot of.
Speaker 3: Times coaches more specifically trained or cross trained guys at different positions just for that instance. If something like that happens, say you got two really good centers, but you can't play two centers at one time, you move one guy to guard, and you have your best starting five out there. Let's not also forget Tipman plays some guard his rookie year, so that he has that versatility.
Speaker 2: To do that as well.
Speaker 3: Now, again I would love to keep Tipman at center, but you want to ultimately put your best starting five out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The bottom line is the Jets.
Speaker 5: You can expect them to continue to add to the offensive line. Look at where Aaron Glenn just came from to destroy life and it all started up front for them.
Speaker 1: So let's flip into the defensive side of the wall.
Speaker 5: How much credit did you give Mujie for getting a Sherwood deal down before he hits the market, because we were both in Indianapolis and everybody was talking about how many suitors he was gonna have if he hit free agency.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think people understood it. And I was saying that, you know this all last year. I was like, sure was gonna have a crazy market and people were looking at me crazy, and I'm like, if you watch the tape, this young man is an ascending player, like Pro Bowl type ascending player. And you saw his trajectory year in the year out like because he would start at Sam Becker for the Jets.
Speaker 2: But it's rare in today's NFL.
Speaker 3: The teams don't come out in eleven personnel, which means you're gonna go Nickel, which means.
Speaker 2: Your third linebacker is not gonna play.
Speaker 3: But every time he kind of spots started for CJ, he would just continue to make plays. And I remember talking to Robert slind He was saying, Jamie and Sherwood is one of the smartest players I've ever coached, right. He said that as a rookie, So you knew that the mental capacity was going to be there. He was making that transition from safety to linebacker, so you knew it was only a matter of time before he developed.
Speaker 2: The more reps he got, and you saw.
Speaker 3: The speed that he plays with I mean with him at Quincy Wilson, they might be maybe the fastest tandement linebacker in all the NFL because those guys get from.
Speaker 2: East to west extremely fast.
Speaker 3: Sherwood had ninety eight solo tackles, which is astronomical because he didn't even.
Speaker 2: Start in the beginning of the year.
Speaker 3: So like for him to have that type of production, there was going to be a great market.
Speaker 2: And then when you're that young and you're an.
Speaker 3: As sending player because you're only a one year starter, NFL is all about projection.
Speaker 2: EA, people are projecting it.
Speaker 3: He's going to be even better right in the future because he did only start one year. So I thought that was a key piece that they absolutely had to bring back. Shout out to Darren Moji to GM and also AG forgetting that deal done.
Speaker 5: They got both third quarterbacks done here in free agency on both sides of the ball.
Speaker 1: They targeted fields.
Speaker 5: They got him even though Pittsburgh wanted him back, and then they got Sherwood. They're Mike linebacker And shout out to CJ. Moseley, just an unbelievable professional throughout the time here. Yeah, the captain.
Speaker 1: Just a person who was adored throughout the building.
Speaker 5: And I'm not saying just inside that locker room, consummate professional. He had three straight seasons of one hundred and fifty plus tackles.
Speaker 1: When he went down.
Speaker 5: Though, Sherwood was ready, and Sherwood told me tous Moseley met everything to him and that is the circle of football life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you couldn't have a better vet to learn from, right if you're Jamie and Sherwood than CJ. Mosley the captain. I mean, I go back to twenty nineteen when we signed him. EA, in that first half first Buffalo, he was clearly the best player on the field. I hated that injuries derailed him that season because I think he was going to have a very very special year. And then Covid happens the next year and we miss him for the entire season. But then you talk about it, right, twenty one, twenty two, and twenty three, three straight years of one hundred and fifty tackles, constant pro bowler, the guy, even when he was banged up, was showing up and laying it on the line. I mean there were there were games that probably most players would have shut it down and CJ. Moseley went out there and later on I vividly remember I think it was the twenty two season that goal line almost that goal line stands with CJ. Moseley smacked the running back from Denver and the whole Oh my goodness, Like what that did to you? Ignite the defense? You know, that's that just encapsulates what CJ.
Speaker 2: Moseley is.
Speaker 3: Like, if there's a blade of grass to protect, he's going out there to do it. Like that's his mindset and his mentality. So can't thank him enough. We'll go down as one of the great Jets. I just hate that a few injuries kind of derailed him from being probably one of the greatest Jets linebackers in Jets history.
Speaker 1: Well said, dudes, Brandon Stevens.
Speaker 5: Do you view him now as CB two, as DJ Reid obviously exits and he ironically is going to Detroit?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, the irony of that, right, But Brandon Stevens another guy. He's one of those guys like you know how he a coaches say, he's a guy that you want coming off the bus first, right, because he just looks the part, right. I believe he's like six two six' three and he's well put together and can. RUN i can, run, run and he's another. Player we talked About Andre cisco a little, bit and we're going to talk about him. More Josh Myers okafoor another guy that had a better twenty three season where he actually showed some versatility to play safety and, corner and last year had some struggles more.
Speaker 2: Specifically in man.
Speaker 3: Coverage so this goes back to conversations we were having before we came on the. Pod it'll be interesting to see the philosophy Of Steve wolks's defense because him And Aaron glenn kind of different in some manners where they both like the, pressure But aaron ag likes the pressure and go, man Where Steve wilkes likes the pressure.
Speaker 2: And goes zone dog and go zone, coverage.
Speaker 3: Right so it'll be interesting to see how they messed their philosophies together and what this defense will truly look like Because Brandon stevens again and this could be a confidence.
Speaker 2: Thing and this is the thing at.
Speaker 3: Corner when you get beat a few, times you got to have like a mindset of a. Fish and they say fishes forget things right, away but that can weigh on you as a, corner, right AND i think at times it may have weighed on him last. YEAR i THINK ag feels like with the tape that we saw in twenty, THREE i can develop this guy and get him out of this funk and get him back to playing with the confidence he was playing with at twenty, three because, again, yea he looks the, part he can, run and again he was really good in twenty, three just had some struggles in twenty.
Speaker 5: Four, Man i'm circ this coaching, staff especially at that cornerback in the secondary, spot because you Got Chris earrison, here you Got drake Bly in.
Speaker 1: Here these guys played the.
Speaker 5: Game Aaron glenn a first round, pick he played fifteen seasons in The National Football. League So i'm going to be fascinated to watch the development of some of the young players in defensive.
Speaker 1: Backfield And i'm.
Speaker 3: So glad you brought that up because Even Steve wilkes by trade as a defensive back.
Speaker 2: Coach.
Speaker 3: Right SO i think when you talk about getting some of these guys that are young with high upside that maybe didn't have as productive twenty fours as twenty, threes, well we have guys like Dra bli who played in The Super, bowl who's been A Pro. Bowler we HAVE ag who was a pro bowler with The New York. Jets we Have Steve, wilkes who was a defensive back coach by. Trade we have the guys here to get these guys back to playing at that high level that they played in twenty. Three so, again when they targeted guys in free, AGENCY i think a lot of that had to do with the coaching staff that was put in place that they're confident that they can get these guys back to playing at the high levels they were playing.
Speaker 5: At all, right we knew there were gonna be multiple changes at the safety position because The jets enter free agency with four guys who were on expiring. Deals with that being, said you Mentioned. Cisco he's a kid who was born In. Queens he grew up In Valley. Stream he want The. SYRACUSE i think his family had season tickets To jets, games so he's coming. HOME i like his ballwking. Ability and that's one thing where you can point to over the last few seasons for The, jets they just haven't had enough. Takeaways here is a guy who's athletic who's going to play that free safety position for.
Speaker 1: You can you speak to maybe when he was at his height in twenty.
Speaker 5: Three what was the difference between him and what you saw In jacksonville twenty four because that whole defensive backfield had issues In, jacksonville but it was the whole group.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 3: Ye we alluded to that in the beginning of this podcast that it had been it's kind of interesting to see what they were asking that secondary to. Do and then once again we talked about this With Brandon stevens. Earlier you, know as a defensive, back like you got to have the probably most confidence in any other position on the, FIELD i would, say besides, quarterback because you're going to get beat, sometimes, right but you have to let that go and be able to move. On he's at his best when he's the middlefield. Safety you talked about his ballhawking, ability him being able to go track the, football AND i think that's What Aaron glenn And Steve wolks will have him do here as. Well it wasn't to your, point it wasn't just, him the whole, secondary which was revamped a little bit last year For. JACKSONVILLE i would, say Besides jerry And, jones the young guy that they took From Florida state in the.
Speaker 2: Draft he actually had a pretty good.
Speaker 3: Year but besides, him nobody in that secondary really played well last.
Speaker 2: Year SO i know.
Speaker 3: This is it feels good For Andre cisco to be able to come back home a team that he cheered on when he was younger and to get a fresh.
Speaker 2: Start.
Speaker 3: Right SO i think, again Ag Steve Steve wilks their. Moujie they look at that twenty three tape and, saying this guy was unbelievable as a, middlefield you, know ballhawk and. Safety let's get him back to doing what he's good at and what he loves to. Do So i'm excited to see him get a fresh start In New york as.
Speaker 5: Well, okay so it sounds like The jets are gonna Get Isaiah oliver, back AND i think that is under the radar signing or agreed out a. Doubt he's A Swiss army, knife. Right he can do a lot of things in the, defense some backfield and need players like that in Today's National Football, league without a.
Speaker 3: Doubt he's a guy that can play in the. Slot he's a guy that can play. Safety he's a guy when you go dying, personnel when you have six dbs out, There he's the other guy that plays in the slot opposite Of Michael.
Speaker 2: Carter SO i love this. Now the thing that sucked for him last year he.
Speaker 3: Got banged up earlier in the year and missed a good portion of, games but he actually came on really strong towards the back end of the, year playing at the safety position and playing some slot corner Because Michael carter got banged. Up SO i really love the you talked. About it is, versatility him being A swiss army. KNIFE i twooted that when that, deal you, know like it was coming down the, pike THAT i love.
Speaker 2: This deal just because of his.
Speaker 3: Versatility AND i think we didn't get to see the Best Isaiah oliver because he was banged.
Speaker 2: Up now he played really well down the.
Speaker 3: Stretch But i'm looking forward to him getting integrated into this defense and again with his, versatility he could be competing to be the opposite starter Of Andre cisco in this. Defense, hey were.
Speaker 5: You And Bart scott celebrating when you heard The jets edition OF a one?
Speaker 3: Technique you, KNOW i was, LIKE i was so appy Because i've been saying this for the. Longest man like the defensive, line AND i don't think this takes away from the j just potentially taking a de tackle high in the. Draft but we've had to switch up multiple defensive tackles in multiple. YEARS i, Mean Javon kinlow's, Gone Solomon thomas is. Gone you, know before, that it Was Sheldon, Rankins Quintin. Jefferson SO i love the signing Of Derek nadi just because you Had Super bowl. Experience this guy before last. YEAR i believe was a starter for six or seven straight years for The Kansas City, chiefs AND i went back and watched That Super bowl. Game he still he can still play at a pretty high, level like in regards to being able to get off blocks and, be you, know be a tough out in the run. Game and that's something that The jets really need as. Well so not only did they sign, him they Signed jay To. Fela they also Signed Byron Cohart cohart who was actually coming off a career year with The Chicago bears as.
Speaker 2: Well so, again these are both young.
Speaker 3: Players that have high upside that didn't break the bank in regards to signing them in free.
Speaker 2: Agency all, right.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna talk about the draft upcom meaning.
Speaker 5: In a comprehensive, way but just right now here after a week in free. Agency if you're looking at The jets at number, seven let me throw some names at. You Tyler warren ste arline member Tackle, Missouri Will campbell tackle l S, U Mason graham defensive Tackle. Michigan do you all think do you think ultimately it's one of those four if The jets stay at.
Speaker 2: SEVEN i think there's a name you missied on that, List Tenor roe. McMillan, okay the big receiver From.
Speaker 3: Arizona but, YEAH i think it's gonna be one of those five. Names, okay If Mason graham isn't there at, seven which Again jacksonville could potentially take him at, FIVE i Think Arman membo is a, real real. Consideration we talked about right tackle still being in need for The, jets and this guy is clearly the best right tackle in this draft and it's not even.
Speaker 1: Close why is the stock?
Speaker 2: RISING i don't think.
Speaker 3: IT i don't think IT'S i, mean it may be rising to the outside, world BUT i don't think for for scouts it's. RISING i think he's always been in the consideration for a top ten, pick And i've talked to a few people we go back to a few years ago When Darnell, wright remember he ended up BEING i, believe the first tackle taking in the draft at number, ten and a lot of people were. Surprised we got to look at THE nfl, today like it's not just about being a blind side. Tackle the right tackles are getting picked just as much as the left tackles. Are, now people Consider Lane johnson the best tackle in, football and he's a right, tackle Right and then you go Into detroit and pinay, sewell he's a right tackle as, well and some people consider him one of the best or second best tackles in. Football so you're talking about, two if the best of not the best tackles in, football being right. Tackles so when you look at Our Mam, MEMBU i just go to That TEXAS a AND m, game because a lot of those dudes when that defensive line are going in the first, round and if not the first, round the second. Round and WHEN i tell, you he handled all of them and made it look easy at. Time the athletic ability to run off the line of scrimmage and cut people off on the, backside and the strength at the point of attack in his run, game the physicality and the ability and his kickstep to hold up against power when guys try to go speed to, power but also the athletic ability when guys try, to you, know use speed on the edge to run them by the quarterback or just dis mantle. Them like there's a saying that offensive line coaches use pass protection doesn't have to be, passive and he fits that mold because he's not passive in past protection at. All he's trying to take your heart out your. Soul SO i love it from a standpoint of how his mentality is.
Speaker 2: Now people were worried about his.
Speaker 3: HEIGHT i think he's still checked in at around six, three almost sixty.
Speaker 2: Four they worried about his arm. LENGTH i didn't think it was that big of an.
Speaker 3: Issue it wasn't an issue on tape, Either SO i think that's a home run pick if the jests do take him at. Seven BUT i brought Up tetoro McMillan just BECAUSE i think he would be the perfect compliment To Gary. Olson Like Garrett wilson is going to kill you in zone. Coverage he's gonna spot up in his zone. Coverage he knows how to beat man. Coverage but if you need that big receiver to go up and it's not fifty fifty jump balls With tetroll. McMillan it's more eighty twenty like he's coming down with the football if it's in its.
Speaker 2: Vicinity people were worried about his long.
Speaker 3: Speed believe he clocked in it between a four four eight and a four or five, five depending on who you talk to and what scout you talk. To before a guy that's six foot, four two hundred and fifteen, pounds that's plenty of speed. Enough i've seen him on tape on over routes separate from defensive. Backs and again his ability when all us, fails if you just give him an opportunity to go and high point the, football that's what he can. Do so When Justin fields gets in trouble and he sees that it's a man coverage on the outside Because garrett's getting double throw it up to Tennor, Rowe he's gonna come down with the.
Speaker 2: Football SO i think he could be a major need in the red.
Speaker 3: Zone but also when you talk about just that big body receiver that can go up and make plays for, you that's what he can. Do and people always worry about bigger receivers getting in and out of breaks on.
Speaker 2: Tape it's not a issue for.
Speaker 3: Him.
Speaker 5: Man that is a great teams for what's to come in the. Weeks Head, DEUCE i was fun as always and we'll catch.
Speaker 1: Up h