Speaker 1: Ridiculous crime. It's a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey Elizabeth, look at you so glad to see you. I got a question for that smile and face.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Yes, I do. I do. I love garlic. We know that. I know that, you know that.
Speaker 2: You even have clothing that says that.
Speaker 3: My neighbors know that I love garlic. And I don't care if I smell like garlic.
Speaker 2: I thought that's half the pleasure. I kind of is like a bubble of like.
Speaker 3: Well, it's like there are two things when you're cooking and baking, like if it says add a teaspoon of vanilla and four okay, And if it says add for clothes of garlic, like add ahead of garlic.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's till like sixteen cloves.
Speaker 3: Pretty much. That's just the Those are the like unwritten rules of of food fixers.
Speaker 2: You got a heavy finger with the garlic.
Speaker 3: I like that, Yes, exactly. So you would think one would think that if there was a garlic product, I'd be like all about it.
Speaker 2: We were on such a good no, no, just hold on, hold on.
Speaker 3: Because like I went to the store and there was the best foods otherwise known as Hellman's on the other side of they do a garlic ali. It does not taste good.
Speaker 2: That's the same company.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did not know many.
Speaker 2: Yeah, learn something new every day.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like dryers and uh, what is it? Eaties? Sure that that you know? Continental divide Carls Junior. We're a nation divided. Yeah, AnyWho best foods? Garlic Ali not good. So I apologize to them. If they want to make it right with me, fine.
Speaker 2: I'm taking notes. Not good.
Speaker 3: I think I'm just a food snob and I like it homemade. Aside from that, so a lot of our listeners were like, tell Elizabeth, I know she likes garlic, and I know that there are some things that really irritate the snot out of her. This is both Oh.
Speaker 2: They're finally getting you. Yeah, thank you guys, dudes, you night.
Speaker 3: So apparently I'm not on TikTok. There's book talk, yeah, which I guess is when people talk about books on TikTok when they should be actually just reading the books. But aside from that, there's an author, Jennifer l Arman Trout, and I think she writes like, I don't know, vampire books cool. She has a title that's coming out, The Primal of Blood and Bone, which just like you know me and fantasy books like vampires and dragons, kind of like stay far away. Yeah, that's my that's my garlic. Where I a vampire? Anyway, I'm dragging this off way too long. So so this lady, she's got a book coming out. She teamed up with Hellman's What I Know Stop and they made a special edition garlic scented copy of her book that is infused with Hellman's garlic aoli create a one of a kind craven proof books. So Craven must be a character who's like a vampire.
Speaker 2: This sounds like it the books.
Speaker 3: Seeking another worldly experience, fire bound by flavor. This garlic scented special edition is juicy enough to sink your teeth right in. Take a closer look at all the fine details, warning it will consume you. And then I have this thing like a front plate like in the book. This van pre repelling special edition of The Primal of Blood and Bone was printed using garlic aoli infused ink. It was meticulously crafted to repel nocturnal nibblers, specifically the ugly creepy kind. So the book's going to spank, and not in a good way. If it's this garlic AILI from Helmet, it's greasy. Why I don't know, but the whole thing is greasy and you can't you can't do that.
Speaker 2: Why would anyone want?
Speaker 3: Well, because it's the people who are like, I'm quirky. Are we going to go to a book fair and sign it one?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 3: Oh? They do? These people, these people out there, that's wowd you just need to eat more garlic, drink more vanilla extract. I don't know when.
Speaker 2: Will the mashup culture and when will it come home from the war?
Speaker 3: Never insummation your honor. That's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I'm going to give you that one. I don't even know what I know.
Speaker 3: It was just like I kept getting that's forwarded to be forwarded to me, and I was like, deep sigh, Okay.
Speaker 2: Eventually they're going to push you onto my side.
Speaker 3: Of They are they are that they're writing a strongly worded letters to these corporations.
Speaker 2: Dear mister mashups, stop it.
Speaker 3: Dear mister Hellman, dear admiral.
Speaker 2: Help today. I want to tell you a story. Yes please, I don't even think it's nearly as ridiculous. It's ridiculous, but not.
Speaker 3: Adulous like garlic.
Speaker 2: No, but it is medieval. It will get medieval on you.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: I want to tell you a story about a crimer who you could say was partly inspired by a cartoon Fox.
Speaker 3: Wait.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is Ridiculous Crime, a podcast about absurd and outrageous capers, heists, and cons. It's always ninety nine percent murder free and one hundred percent ridiculous ridiculous. Elizabeth sar I mentioned up top how today's crimeer may have been partly inspired by a cartoon Fox. You want to take a guess at which cartoon? Fox?
Speaker 3: I mean, is it the animated Robin Hood?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's fine singing.
Speaker 2: Well, did you and your brother watch that one? Like way my sister and I watched it.
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 2: I mean we wore that tape out?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, I knew all of the songs completely. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, fun fact. That movie came out in nineteen seventy three. It was the first animated film made by Disney after Walt Disney passed on the first post Walt movie, Animated one, and it was also the first animated Disney movie to feature no human characters. I know. I didn't know that. So the film features a bunch of my favorites in the cast. There's the minstrel Allan A. Dale. The rooster is played by Roger Miller aka King of the Row Sanger. Of course, it also stars one of my all time favorite performers, Phil Harris, as the cartoon bear sidekick Little John. For those who don't know, Phil Harris used to play himself in the Jack Benny Radio Show and then again played himself in the Phil Harris and Alice Fay Show. I listened to both on radio classics. Thank you. I just love his voice, his whole vibe. I mean, come on, anyway.
Speaker 3: Who is the King in the Louis Prima?
Speaker 2: Oh the King? Oh? The King is Peter Houston off underrated actor? He played both Prince John, the villain, yeah, Prince the heroic brother King Richard, So you were right. He did put in the King. Yeah, and apparently the singer Louis Prima, who was such a hit in the Jungle Book right as a king Louis the King of the Swingers the Jungle vip. Well, he expected to get a role in Disney's Robin Hood and they were like, hey, Louis bad news. Bro. He's like, what, I'm the King of the Swingers the Jungle Vip. They're like, we ain't got a role for you, right. So he was so steamed about it. He recorded a whole album about it called Let's Hear It for robin Hood, and then he went he sold that album to Disneyland Records, which I did not know was a thing, right, And he was like Denzel Washington at the Oscars, like I'm leaving with something, you know. He's like, I'm getting paid on my beat, getting wet.
Speaker 3: So he wrote his own songs about the movie. Yes, it wasn't like distracks and.
Speaker 2: It was used in the movie.
Speaker 3: It was just so you could stumble upon it and in the record.
Speaker 2: Store and oh yeah, and they're like, wait a minute, this is none of this is in the movie.
Speaker 3: It's like a jet and he's important.
Speaker 2: Exactly like what we doing.
Speaker 3: In the world. That's amazing.
Speaker 2: That's how mad you was. So yeah, the fun fact just for you, Elizabeth. Yeah, as you kind of intimated earlier, Disney's Robinhood was a major early inspiration for some of your faves. The furries. They think of the cartoon Fox as a quasi sex symbol.
Speaker 3: Now I told you about my evolution on first, yes, come around to my side. Have I talked about it on here? I don't know in public.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you've made this public.
Speaker 3: Okay. So my whole thing with furries is they irritated the bejeebers out of me. And then I started, anytime you get annoyed or upset with someone, you have to investigate yourself why that is, yes, And instead of saying well, because they're lame, like no, really really investigated and I realized that it was. One of the things I find super annoying is when adults talk about how like I love a sense of play and like they have this like, oh, it's my childhood. And then I had kind of realized, like I didn't really have that chance as a kid. Yeah, I had to grow up really fast for a number of reasons. And so it's like, I don't think that I'm jealous of it. I just it's something that's so foreign to me, and it's something that I feel like I had to move by so quickly that I look at these people, I'm like, oh, give it the program. We got bigger fish to fry, like you don't have time to put on a little costume run around. So I'm letting go of that, and it makes them happy and it fulfills them. And every time like they get that like that, like tingle, when the barbed wire inside me starts to coil.
Speaker 2: And get taught.
Speaker 3: I take a deep breath and I go, you know what you do? You? I love that for you.
Speaker 2: There you go as one of them as well as.
Speaker 3: You're not trashing a hotel. Now that's right across the line. But you know you want to dress up and stick something up your ear like a tail, you know, knock yourself out. Sure they do. I've seen it.
Speaker 2: Well that's my football coach used to say. You point a finger. Three fingers are pointing back at you over exactly.
Speaker 3: No, I highly recommend if you get super annoyed with something and you think it's like why am I like, investigate, sit on it for a while, think about it. I like that it might not be an answer that you're comfortable with. I wasn't comfortable with it, but you know what, we live and learn.
Speaker 2: You do grow every day that way.
Speaker 3: Gross.
Speaker 2: No, for the record, as far as like whether robinhood was like sexy and the furries or onto something. I did have more than one female friend who told me over the years that as young girls they had crushes on the cartoon Fox robin Hood.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that ate like the late Gen X. That's like the everyone's like first crush is the animated Robinhood.
Speaker 2: It goes late Gen X xxennials and then older millennials the whole span. It's like like a ten year window of people who.
Speaker 3: Are like weird boomers.
Speaker 2: That's one foxy Fox.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, it was non threatening.
Speaker 2: Well also, yeah, he's like you know they say confidence is sexy. Yeah, I think that goes a long way.
Speaker 3: I know who my first childhood crush was.
Speaker 2: I have no idea. Mister slim good body.
Speaker 3: No, it's something that terrified my family.
Speaker 2: Oh God, I'm not even going to guess who he's. Richards.
Speaker 3: I thought he was so dream like in the like like reflective shades, shaggy hair, like you know.
Speaker 2: The skeletal drug addict. I find him.
Speaker 3: Attractically recording in the South of France. I was like, I'm four, let's go.
Speaker 2: If you wanted something embarrassing about me, this is nowhere near as that.
Speaker 3: I'm just this is a therapy session, a lot out.
Speaker 2: Just let's let's share, you know, just sharing time.
Speaker 3: That's ridiculous, it's a crime.
Speaker 2: Do you know how I always remember who the King of England was when the Magna carta was signed Disney's robin Hood because John is the one. So I always picture the scaredy cat lion being like bullied by his nobles and crown. Yeah, exactly, that's how I remember it.
Speaker 3: I like tooth what was it a rabbit or something? That's all. I don't remember the character whatever, there's the snakes or his like that. No, I didn't think so it's like a little cute pie.
Speaker 2: Oh there's yeah, the little rabbit, the boy rabbit who wants to be like Robin Hood.
Speaker 3: That's my favorite.
Speaker 2: And his sister has the list.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I like the little boy Rabbit.
Speaker 2: Okay, there you go. Well enough about Disney's robin Head, no question, Elizabeth. Do you know which movie came out in nineteen ninety one that does not point break? It was a major iconic film starring a guy who go on to play a character named Dutton.
Speaker 3: That's right, Kevin Costner, Yes, in Robinhood. Princis there It is with the with the iconic soundtrack from Brian Adams. Everything I do, I do it for you, dude?
Speaker 2: Do you remember the grip that song? Had this on the.
Speaker 3: Smerdy Me I had it on single?
Speaker 2: Did you really you couldn't watch MTV without that being played every least once an hour?
Speaker 3: Why did I get it on? You listen to it? One's like, that's good. It's on the radio all the time. I played it like once and then you flip it over. It's the same song.
Speaker 2: It's not like a Canadian.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was all everything I do. I don't know. I really like, I don't know. I had a lot of weird singles. Are you just like it's like an impulse by it?
Speaker 2: I totally feel you on that, sure, No I do. I had like, well, those of the mine are like like Beastie Boys KAS singles, but you.
Speaker 3: Know I feel them cool.
Speaker 2: I just was like, I want to, you know, check your head past the mic version three versions of it.
Speaker 3: I got the like EP of root Down and has like seven versions of Best Boys.
Speaker 2: That's a really good one.
Speaker 3: We're talking now that I did listen to over and over again.
Speaker 2: That's that's the technical Any.
Speaker 3: Is your brain broken.
Speaker 2: So anyway, they're also in That was Mary Elizabeth.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, I thought we were moving forward.
Speaker 2: No, no, we're moving backwards. Okay, cool, So okay, I got a harder one for you. Do you remember the other Robin Hood movie that came out in nineteen ninety one that also was not.
Speaker 3: Point bright Brooks right, Robin.
Speaker 2: No, that was nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 3: There was another robin Hood. Yes.
Speaker 2: The reason why Robinhood is called robin Hood Prince of Thieves is because the first one was just called robin Hood. It starred Uma Thurman as Maid Marion.
Speaker 3: Who is Robin Hood.
Speaker 2: I think Patrick Bergen was his name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's good that now we know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now we know that one came out in May. Well, the Kevin Costner version came out in June, so they had to have it was a battling Yeah, it was like.
Speaker 3: A whole It was like an asteroid movie.
Speaker 2: But there you go, deep impact and army.
Speaker 3: Guess I'm getting it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know. Now have you seen the other more modern version such as Robin Hood Men in Tights? Yeah, the Melbrooks version right in it. Then there was the twenty ten Ridley Scott version that stars Russell Crowe got you saw that? Yeah, I was curious. I looked it up. How many robin Hood movies are there? And it's kind of wild because if you dated back to the silent film era, motivated by the success of Like Later On, the nineteen thirty eight version starring Errol fle which is the iconic one, right, that's like you know, it is the little green felt hat gives us the look, the green tights, the whole bit, right. So since then, there has been at least one robin Hood movie released in every single decade. Really, except for one decade. There was one decade that didn't feature a robin Hood movie. Can you want you want to guess which decade had no Robinhood film?
Speaker 3: Nineteen forties, good, guess we were a world at wars there, No, we.
Speaker 2: Had Robinhood for the war, Oh we did. Yeah, we needed that gumption.
Speaker 3: I don't know what.
Speaker 2: The nineteen eighties of course, oh really yeah, the me generations like forget Robinhood. We went on that energy to this decade. It was like the toll opposite spirit. They're like rob from the poor to give it to the rich.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Michael Douglas.
Speaker 2: Saron what's with all the fun facts and trivia questions about Robin Hood. It's that kind of day, great question? Was it way to bring your aoly game? I was like, you know, wondering, like when you get bored on the robin Hood question. The reason why I wanted to talk Robin It was to set a mood. Right, you've said it since. That's what I want to tell you about today, the cultural hole that that legend has on our imagination. Yeah, and they set up top. Today's crime is inspired by Robinhood. This dude wanted to be a real life, actual factual Robinhood. Like he didn't go into crime to get rich. He became a burglar to live out his robin Hood fantasies.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 2: He legit robbed from the rich to give to the poor, just like the famous outlaud of Sherwood for now. You know, I love that, right, I've been a robin Hood man from the jump. In fact, on my first car, I had a bumper sticker that used to say robin Hood was right there I am driving around.
Speaker 3: Did you also have one that said, like, it's it's criminal that what you know? We have to have a bake sale.
Speaker 2: No, I wasn't that kind of guy. I was like snarky, but not like that no bake sales while our our schools have to hold robbin launchers.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I don't remember what it was. Today's one of those coexist bumper.
Speaker 2: Oh, I told you I was. I was snarky. I thought I was being like, you know, let's take from the rich. I thought I was.
Speaker 3: It's sort of like I had not in an altruistic way, but it's that age. It was snarky. In high school, I had a T shirt that said breathe or die there and I thought that was absolutely hysterical. I thought it was the coolest shirt. You know that in my model U N shirts proceed I'd like to do is just in.
Speaker 2: Today's primer is a British cat named Stephen George Dennis Jackie.
Speaker 3: Stephen George Dennis Jackie.
Speaker 2: There will not be a quiz at the end. Stephen Jackie he was. He was from the South Devon Coast, from a place called Sidmouth or Sidmouth if you're an American, sidmth. His father was a painter an engineer. He was also a bit of a bully. His mother was a tragic figure. She suffered three episodes of schizophrenia, and so his early years are basically marked by memories of his mom being hauled off by either cops or medical staff, you know, the guys in white jackets, or his father like yelling at him. Right. So this was all very hard on young Stephen. He was also very sensitive lad, and so in his early formative years it gave him a certain distance from others, like he didn't have any friends. His neighbors said of young Stephen, he was a very quiet lad. I've only seen him a half a dozen times in all the years they ever lived there. He used to spend a lot of time in the house. Another neighbor said, he did not seem to have any friends around here. He was a very much a loner. You never saw him playing out in the street or anything like that. He was very quiet. You never saw him out socializing. So as a result of his parents and his perennial shyness, young Stephen retreated into fantasies. He was this highly moral, ethical kid, so he liked to dream of making the world a better place, and to do that, he dreamed of one day becoming an outlaw ful hero yeah, man after my own heart, because even as a young kid, he saw that the world was a very unfair place. This bothered him again his teen years. Right. For instance, he was traveling with his family in Thailand and he witnessed like the vast wealth disparities between what he knew in the UK and what he was seeing in Southeast Asia, and it bothered him to his core. So at some point he gets into like this spiritual debate with a Buddhist monk that he talks to. He's like a team, right, but he's like, you know, asking him the ethical questions, like is it ethical to do wrong if you do it for the greater good? And the Buddhist Monk's like, well, what are we talking about here? I need some parameters, kid. So I don't know what the monk told him, but it was apparently a very formative moment in his development because it's mentioned in almost every story I read about him. Right, he had then this is where his fantasies about becoming an outlaw folk hero start to take hold and really just grip his mind. Right. Eventually, he left his childhood home behind. He went off to college at the University of Wooster or is it's spelled on paper Warchester. But you know, he entered the university as a geography student, and yet even as a young man, he still harbored all these childhood fantasies. Right, so one day he's like, I'm going to become an outlaw folk hero, a do gooder like by man Robin Hood Nice, And he did that, Elizabeth Nice. Let's take a little break. When we get back, I will tell you about the crime career of Stephen Jackly. Elizabeth, we're back now. It's something I forgot to mention about Steven Jackie that I probably should have mentioned when I was introducing him.
Speaker 3: He's imaginary.
Speaker 2: No, No, he's totally real, and he's not me. This is like I'm telling you a story where I'm using a fake name. No, he was. When he was a college student. He also got into experimenting with drugs, particular smoking weed and blowing lines of cocaine. So that may have had an influence on his whole life. I'm gonna rob the rich and the poor, me being one of them. So anyway, that also may have inspired some of his fantasies of becoming an outlaw folk hero, because you know how cocaine is. It's like, hey, man, you know what I'm gonna do. I'm going to become a hell maybe a smoke pot. He's like, yeah, I love that idea. Like they're both telling him the same thing. But what do I know. What I do know is this Elizabeth In two thousand and seven, while he was studying geography at the University of Wooster, he decides it's time to start pulling my ethical crimes. He's twenty one years old at the time. He's living in the dorms on campus, really student housing, it's not exactly the dorms, and he was like, I'm going to become a real life Robin Hood now you can believe it. The very next year, in two thousand and eight, there was this huge worldwide financial crash and melt down, and it was already starting to happen in two thousand and seven. We dated in two thousand and eight, but it was it was very evident, and so this threw a ton of fuel onto his righteous fire that was already burning inside of him. So like, while other students are going out and like making placards to march and attend protests and and you know, like argue against the wealth inequalities of the world and like, you know, shout about this insatiable greed of bankers. Stephen Jackie's like, I'm going to steal their money.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna cut to the chase right to it, right.
Speaker 2: So to do this obviously, He's like, I will be a college student by day, robin Hood by night.
Speaker 3: And he still doesn't have a whole lot of friends right now.
Speaker 2: No, I should be clear about him deciding to become a real life Robinhood. Like, I don't mean he started wearing green tights in imagine greenfelt.
Speaker 3: Hat is a shame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, No, he was as fun as that would have been. He kept it low pro, right, he well, I'll get to that a second, not exactly low pro. But he didn't wear the Robinhood uniform. I'll just put it that, okay, Okay. I should also probably mentioned that Stephen Jackie's moral wreckted to was partly motivated, at least by everything I read, by his Asperger syndrome.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: He was suspected that his Asperger syndrome partly motivated him to want to right society's wrongs to balance the scale he gave him this moral like fiber. Now years later, looking back at what became, you know what he became? Rather in his university years, Stephen Jacklie. He wrote this letter to a newspaper, the Sunday Mercury, and he reconsidered what he was thinking at the time, and as he told his Sunday Mercury, it became apparent I could fulfill the role of a hero, following in the footsteps of a legend who had broken the law to bring wealth and justice to the people. I could become a modern day Robin Hood. He also addressed his motivations, his ethical motivations that are more modern. He said, quote capitalism and the unregulated market economy is responsible for immense human inequality. It is driven and continues to drive a widening gulf between the rich and the poor. I made a promise, nay, a vow to change things, to make a difference.
Speaker 3: All right, God, you get the feeling right.
Speaker 2: Like he wants to make a lasting difference. What would be a lasting difference? Great question, As he explained, drastic, unprecedented, courageous actions were required. But for every goal and dream, there is one crucial ingredient needed to bring it to fruition. It's the same ingredient that all human endeavors require, regardless of effort or need. Yes, money was widlicked. So he's not like your man Willy Sutton. Right, He's like, why do you rob banks? Willy? Why? Because that's about the money. So Stephen Jackley, he's like another man might have taken a road of reason getting a job or beginning a career that would be a pathway to accomplishment. Many would have simply have accepted that they could make no difference, or that ultimately it wasn't the worth the effort. In youth, self centered desires take priority fast cars, pretty women, drugs, and drink. Even when the survival of humanity is at stake the future of their families. Most people do not take active steps to change things. They simply ignore the impending crisis, accept it, or don't do enough. Not my man Stephen jacks.
Speaker 3: But I mean, he's like, oh, y'all don't do enough. But I'm still gonna do the drugs and do enough. I was like, you guys are out there doing drugs.
Speaker 2: Keep that in mind.
Speaker 3: Yes, I still do it.
Speaker 2: He's like, he says, another point. Day by day, I could feel the rails vibrating. I think he means metaphorically. Day by day I was aware of what could, what would happen, and then it's fate would have it. One day it did happen. In the autumn of two thousand and seven, he became Robin Hood.
Speaker 3: Good for him.
Speaker 2: So at the first the cops in the UK, they were confused by this sudden appearance of this new bank rubber on the scene, this man who seemed to work alone, man who was armed and dangerous, but he was also a very sophisticated kind of professional thief. No, I should be clear. To disguise himself, our new outlaw folk hero in training. He employed a pair of dark, oversized sunglasses. I'm talking like, imagine like Audrey Dunner shades totally, but more like Audrey Hepburn shades. Yeah right, so big yeah, big dad so. And then also he we like to uh. He favored a rather outrageous blonde wig like I'm picturing like a Dolly Parton number.
Speaker 3: Oh you're seeing it go high. I'm going long and scraggling.
Speaker 2: Long, scraggly high, deep and wide. I mean, it was just all the descriptions.
Speaker 3: For deep Mountain high. Is it like Dolly Parton like the I don't think.
Speaker 2: Like taller the hair, I don't think like Dacas. No, I'm thinking like maybe in B fifty twos. Let's go with that. That's kind of fun, but it's more of a bee hive. Yeah, I'm thinking it had some more length, like shoulder length hair.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's place it somewhere in like Tampa Bay newscaster nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 2: Boom, there it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, settled almost on a man, almost a prince valiant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good point, Yeah, very good. So at this point, all this has nothing to do with robinhood, right, No, little greenfelt had for this brother. No, but it did allow him to have a you know, a costume, one would say, a way to disguise himself. Now, looking for an early taste of success, he tried to wrap like a bank courier outside the bank. He's like, just one on one, me and him. Right, it shows up armed with a knife and a pellet gun. Oh, which must not have looked very convincing because the courrier was like, piss off. Nice. He's like, all right, So he decided letast start out with easier targets. Maybe get some practice under my belt. Or so he decided to hit a bookie, like a bookie spot, you know, like in the UK they have those like bookiey houses or usual shop makers.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So for one of his earliest successful robberies, he walks into a bookie like one of those betting shops, and he was like armed with a hammer and a knife.
Speaker 3: Like one of the like storefront styles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I imagine, but I also imagine kind of like the storefront type like you'd find in a guy Ritchie film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you see him, there's just like yeah, countertops.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's exactly high. Countertops are like a woman working there with a bit of an attitude. Sure, all right, So he tells the two clerks working.
Speaker 3: There, I'm sorry, he had a hammer, hammer and.
Speaker 2: A knife and a nice shows up. I got one for each of you.
Speaker 3: Break an ice block.
Speaker 2: They're like, oh, he's nuts. Okay, so this is not going to end well. So he tells the two clerks working that they need to stuff his backpack with cash or else. Yea, they decided they didn't want to learn more about the orls. They looked at the hammer like that's good enough. Yeah, and then they stuffed eight hundred and twenty five pounds in his backpack and he called it good okay, big successful first robber, one of his first robbery. That his confidence now is like you know, modern day Robinhood surges. He decides, I'm gonna now Robin actual bank.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got a baby steps job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, work your way up, so you know, you gotta walk before you run. So to hit the bankers, he broke in with his imitation gun, his outrageous blonde wig, his oversized dark sunglasses. He would move quick, no time wasted like in the vaults. Nope, he just demanded money from the bank tellers, whatever they had in his drawers. Then he would be gone within ninety seconds and he's out right. So by the time the police arrived, there's just nothing but like, you know, whispers of who was just here? Who was that mask man? So his motos operandi was to basically hit banks in the Midlands area of the UK and yeah, there you go, and he would bust into a bank and a daring daytime stick up. He'd brandish a handgun, but don't worry, no one would ever or could get hurt since it was an imitation gun. Yeah, right, So it's like unless you, you know, get shot with a pellet. But the bank tellers they don't know this, so they would like, you know, like you no, exactly. A lot of people haven't really seen a gun pointed at them. They don't know what a gun looks like outside of a movie.
Speaker 3: Imagine in crimes, you're not really anticipating having a gun pulled on his whole knife crime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a lot of people don't really look at it. They look at they could just all of a sudden look at the outline of the person, and part of the outline is holding a gun. Yeah, so they would believe his make believe gun and then hidden behind his oversized dark sunglasses and his outrageous, ridiculous blonde wig. So there is this stranger demanding the bank's money or else, so they would give over whatever they had in their drawer. And then after he fled with whatever money he could scare out of the bank tellers, they would report it to the local news that a man by himself, wearing a comical blonde wig and giant dark sunglasses came in and robbed the place.
Speaker 3: It looks like JT. Leroy in my house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of So at first, like, you know, his disguise is getting most of the press, like they keep talking about this ridiculous blonde wig, these crazy sunglasses because he keeps getting away with it. There's not much else to write about. He's not getting cuts. They're like, well do you looked? Like how crazy was the wig? So eventually though, the police in the UK, they make it their mission to like change that. They're like, we got to catch this guy, so they launch a nationwide.
Speaker 3: Man hunt for him.
Speaker 2: Stephen Jacklie. Remember he's a college tudent by day, robin Hood by night. He could have focused his efforts directly on like charity work instead of being a Robinhood by night. And he's like, nope, I need to rob these banks. You know. It's like so it's based on his Robinhood obsession. He decides like once he has some success, now he's like, I'm gonna go bigger. So as here this is how he explained it to the Sunday Mercury quote, banks, bookmakers, and building societies are icons of the current socioeconomic system. There are more than just exchanges of money and legalized loan sharks. They were to me a legitimate target. So he's getting like ginned up. He's firing himself up, like he's now like the good guy of all, like a legend. He's like Batman on one right, I'm punching you because you're bad. You're like you've got anger issues, buddy, He's not dealing with any of that, right, So you killed Eventually. He writes in his diary at the time that he had a goal that he would keep hitting banks and bookies until he was able to steal one hundred thousand pounds. Okay, that's his goal. Once he amassed that one hundred thousand pounds, this one man Robinhood charity organization would start his own official organization, and then he donated all to charity. Oh not all of it. He did donates sixty percent.
Speaker 3: Wait, okay, so first of all, did he think through, how am I going to start an actual nonprofit organization? And where am I going to say this money came from?
Speaker 2: Not exactly. He figured he could do it international.
Speaker 3: And he's doing like the serious, like shady nonprofit of he for.
Speaker 2: Me, Yes, sixty percent for the effort, the administrative management. You gotta pay for that. So his plan was he would establish a business that would then subsequently establish branches in foreign countries. And then yes, and he would give out his money, his stolen proceeds to help combat food insecurity in the so called Third World.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, as.
Speaker 2: He wrote in his diary, he planned to donate, as I said, sixty percent to charity and the homeless, and then forty percent to the Robin.
Speaker 3: Hood him sixty world peace.
Speaker 2: Has. He later explained, I could have easily been a person who's cycled to work and recycled, someone who did their best to save the planet. But no, I decided on a drastic, almost revolutionary course of action. It's so proud, he's so high on his own supply. So it's it's much more fun to throw on an outrageous, comical blonde wig than recycled and then.
Speaker 3: The bike in the rain. Yes, exactly, this is way more fun.
Speaker 2: Give me them, Audrey, hepburn stunner shades. Let's do this, And so at one point he says, this is going to sound crazy, but I marked the notes with an RH. So he's going around giving out stolen proceeds to homeless folks and then putting a little RH on it so people would know that.
Speaker 3: He's already passing out bills like.
Speaker 2: Rolls of twenties to like homeless people.
Speaker 3: That's eating away. It is one hundred k, yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: But he wants to do it, you know, like he wants to gig. Yeah, all right away, book at the work I'm doing.
Speaker 3: But he's true, he doesn't want to be truly anonymous. He wants to put his little rh on there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, you know, a person may start out with high minded ethics, pure motivation, but then life dance again. In this case, he made a mistake the kind anyone pretending to be Robinhood could have made. I mean, it was a very harmless mistake. You see, he got confused and he robbed the wrong place.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, that happens. It happens, is the best of us.
Speaker 2: Stephen Jackie remembered on one occasion, I burgled a premises and it turned out to be a charity office, which I hadn't realized at the time. That was a nightmare. So he robbed a charity.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, he broke into an ox fan.
Speaker 2: He's not taking the money from the people. He wants to give the money to.
Speaker 3: Well, because he'll do better with it. He knows better everything.
Speaker 2: The charity was next to a bank, and so he broke into the charity, thinking he was breaking it to the bank, robbed it and he realized, oh that we got outside, that it was the wrong building.
Speaker 3: Because it looks like a bank in the charity office.
Speaker 2: I don't know. He wasn't so to even the scales of justice. Yeah, he decided he'd give the money back to the charity the like stolen. He didn't want to get caught because if he gave it immediately back, they're like, this is exactly how much we have lost in the robbery. Find out who gave us this. So let's get some c CCTV cameras working. So instead he's like, I need to give it back to them in dribs and drabs.
Speaker 3: So and.
Speaker 2: As he tells it, I gave the charity incremental sums, starting with two hundred fifty pounds and eventually going up to seven hundred and fifty pounds. I was going to keep increasing the mound until I reached to about twenty thousand pounds.
Speaker 3: I was going to but then what happened.
Speaker 2: It didn't happen, Elizabeth. But if you're curious, how much did he manage to donate to the charity. Over his time as modern day Robin Hood, he donated two thousand pounds, which worked out to be about three thousand American dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: He's like, although, altogether I donated around two thousand pounds to charity, which doesn't sound like a lot, but my intention was to donate.
Speaker 3: More, it doesn't. That's okay, Yeah, to keep things what they say about the road to hell, yeah, like bricked lined, paved with them, so to keep things square un fair.
Speaker 2: Over the four months that he was hitting banks and bookies in towns like Wooster and Herefordshire and Exeter in his hometown of Devon, Steve and Jacklie managed to steal eleven thousand pounds, far short of his goal of one hundred thousand pounds, but that ain't nothing, and he donated two thousand of that. And now if you're curious how much that works out to be, that is not sixty percent, No, no, that is is far from it. That is about eighteen percent.
Speaker 3: Well, he's also missing the mark on that. You know he's aiming high. Yeah, he means he's shooting for the stars and landing in the dust bin.
Speaker 2: He did keep up, though, with his Robinhood fantasy, because even if he wasn't hitting his real world goals. At one point, as the press covered his crimes and he remained this unknown figure, a dangerous wanted man if you will, he stoked the flames of his status as an outlaw folk hero by writing a letter to the local newspaper like it's me. I'm the one, and this is what I think. At one point in the letter says I will continue to take from the rich and give to the poor. And he signed the letter, what ourh.
Speaker 3: That's more Zodiac than Robinhood.
Speaker 2: He also when he would rob banks, he would walk up to the teller, right, so he just wants whatever they have, so he would fill out or withdraw slip. That said, paying out slip account holder rob.
Speaker 3: Hood, Oh stop it, he's so pleased with him.
Speaker 2: His plans to donate his stolen proceeds to charity kind of fell by the wayside. Instead, he began to fantasize about getting his hands on a real gun so he can do some real bank robbery. He's like, I'm going to invest in some hardware.
Speaker 3: Oh no, he's going to pick up some World War two revolver.
Speaker 2: Well, he was so far from his one hundred thousand pound goal. He's like, I need to get bigger. I can't wear more outrageous outfit. My wig is not going to do anything for me. I need a hand cannon. So exactly, well, you know he had a pellic gun. He's like, what do I I need? Maybe if I scared them more, they would give me more, Like without going into the vault. Brother, he ain't getting much more anyway. At this point, time is still on his side because the police in the UK have no idea who he is. His stunner shades in his wig game have been working beautifully for him. He's just known that as this new outlaw folk here, Robinhood want to be that's bouncing around robbing anything he can't. They have a working theory that it's this Robinhood, but that's it. I don't have any idea of like what worre sholl we look what town is he in?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: He leaves no clues to his identity. He has nothing that as a trail that would lead back to him. But if we're being honest, it would only be a matter of time until he got caught because by now he's addicted to playing Robin Hood. He's separating from reality, he's untethering himself. Plus he could see that he was not the ethical criminal he wanted to be, So he's having an internal fight there as well. Sure, so let's take a little break, Elizabeth, and after these messages, I'll tell you how everything goes sideways for my man. Pretend Robin Hood. We're back, Elizabeth, We're back, Saron. How you enjoying the tales? You ready to hear how he got himself jacked up? I well, let's do this like like like Caesar got done by Brutus. Remember how I told you Stephen Jacklie had a diagnosis of having Asperger syndrome. Well, that would come somewhat into play for how and why he was eventually busted. An interview after the fact, Stephen Jacklie addressed how his Asperger's diagnosis affected his life in crime. And there have been studies about people who are on the spectrum doing crime and how it affected them and why I have driven them there.
Speaker 3: And it's interesting you mentioned this because I know two different people who had And now I think asked Burgers isn't really a diagnosis that's put onto the spectrum.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, from what I understand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they were both like at the time, diagnosed with it, and they each independently have this almost like Robin Hood's sensibility of like for the greater good and I'm going to take on like the bad guys. And in some cases it's like this hero kind of thing of like I'm going to step in on the street if I see someone being wrong totally, you know, it's fascinating and it's a good quality to have.
Speaker 2: The scales of justice are very forward in their mind. It's just like front and center. Yes, So when he was asked point blank about Asperger's and if it played a role in his crime career and his choice to become a real life Robinhood exactly said, it certainly played a role in so far as my inability to understand the effects of my actions upon others. I didn't thought about that part. Yeah, in the abstract, he wanted to be an outlaw folk hero, right. In the short term, it meant he had trouble seeing how his actions affected others, say emotionally, he didn't connect to like the terror in their faces, being like real terror of them. It was just like part of the gig, like, of course you're scared. I've got my gun in your face. He's not not thinking about of course you're scared.
Speaker 3: And they're not because they're not expressing it explicitly to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he said, quote, if I didn't have that, I think I would have had a better understood the emotional impact on people. Right. So I thought that was just an interesting point. But as for the greater good that he planned to do with his organization, that Scales of Justice part his looted funds, he never actually got around to that. The organization never came out to be.
Speaker 3: He never got to thought I was going to cut a check.
Speaker 2: The only money he gave to charity was some rolled up bank notes, and he gave to the homeless folks in the area full of cook with the rh Right. Then there was the money he gave back to the charity that he actually broke into, and that was it. Yeah, he just gave back some money, he's told me, gave some homeless guys some like walking around cash. Meanwhile, though, he went on pursuing his Robinhood fantasy, and he dreamed of being able to carry out his future robberies had him to his hundred grund goal. And then he obviously, like I said, he needed a real gun. They no more pretend pistols, no pet guns look convincing. He wanted the real deal, like you know, something like Schwartzenegger or stallone eighties exactly in the UK. That'd be very difficult, right, But Stephen Jackie knew where they did sell guns to practically anyone who walked into a gun store, That's right, the good old us of.
Speaker 3: A Yeah, sure, so come on down.
Speaker 2: He used some of his stolen loot to buy himself a ticket to America to.
Speaker 3: Buy to bring it back.
Speaker 2: It was an investment, Elizabeth, So Steven he was going to smuggle a gun back into England. Coincidentally, he chose to fly over to New England to do his gun shopping. Well, he went from Old England to New England and he's like, how do I get a gun? This would turn out to be a fateful trip for Stephen Jackey. Rather than me tell you about it, Elizabeth, I'd like you to close your eyes closed to picture It's a lovely day in may and Waterbury, Vermont, and you've been enjoying it immensely. You began your day drinking from a drop of dew nestled in a flour blossom, and after that you spent your mid morning hours finding the perfect blade of grass. You wanted to find a spot that would allow you an easy jump at some lunch. You finally settled on a tall blade of switchgrass near to the parking lot of a gun shop in small towns Vermont. Now you sit and wait for a hot meal to pass by. Any mammal will do, since you are a blood drinking tick, a deer tick, to be specific. As you wait for lunch to go ambling by, you hear a promising sound. A car has parked near to where you linger on that blade of grass. You hear the door open, A footsteps out and scratches at the gravel of the gun shop parking lot. You spot your lunch, You time your jump, and just as the young man walks past the switch grass there at the edge of the parking lot, you leap, and you land not on flesh, but on his pantlet. No bother. You can scurry about until you find some warm flesh to feast on. Meanwhile, while the young man hustles into Paro's gun shop, that's the name of the place, Paro's Gun Shop. The door swings open and you're met by a blast of cool, cold, air conditioned air. The place has a musty smell and an overwhelming odor of gun oil. As you cling to the young man's pant leg, you cross the gun shop. The young man stops at a glass display case of handguns. There's all manner of firearms that compete for his attention. Meanwhile, you work your way down his pant leg, hoping he's wearing low socks. There's only a couple other folks in the rural gun store. The owner of the gun shop walks over. He asks the young man what he's looking for, and that's when you both hear it his English accent. Although it sounds like he's trying to do an American accent, it's just really bad, and his natural English accent shines through, especially on the vowels. The young man says he's looking for a real big handgun, something to scare a home intruder. But when he says it, it sounds like the word rhymes with Buddha, a home intruder. It sounds to your tiny ears like the gun store owner is a immediately suspicious of this Englishman looking to buy an American gun while using a terrible American accent. You pause at around mid ankle, frustrated to find he's wearing thick, tall wool hiking socks. As you gather the energy to traverse a thick woolen sock, you hear the gun store owner ask the young man, what do you need the gun for. He has the suspicious tone of a cop, which makes sense since he's a retired police officer. The young man says he's made one hundred pound bet that he could not buy a gun in Waterbury. He quickly corrects himself, I mean one hundred and fifty dollar bet. Yes, dollars US dollars. The gun store owner asks if the young man has any ID on him. The young man says, I should do, but the R sounds is all wrong. It sounds like he's swallowing the R. Even though you're just a hungry tick looking for some lunch. You wait to hear how this all plays out. The young man hands over his state ID. The gun store owner gives it the once over. The way he sighs and his breathing changes, you can tell his suspicions are growing. You hear the guns st owner say, well, let me phone in your ID to check it in. As long as it clears with the state, we can get you a handgun today. Now it's the young man's turn. He sort of stammers and says, all righty again. The r sound just doesn't sound right. The gun store owner walks off to use the phone. Although you can't hear it, he calls the police. The young man did hear it and has heard enough. He senses that the gun store owner is on to him, so he makes a break for it. He runs out of the gun shop, shoves open the door. You cling on for dear life as he sprints across the parking lot back to his car. He slides back into the driver's seat, shuts the door, starts the car in his hastey to get away. He floors it in reverse and slams into another park shop, probably the gun store owner's car. He changes gears as you grip tight to the wool sock. The young man mashes his foot down on the gas pedal. The car tears off, peeling out. The young man narrowly avoids traffic as he pulls out onto the road a car that he just misses gives an irritated hank to the horn. You wonder where you and this young man are now headed. You get an answer quickly, and the answer is not very far. About a mile down the road, police sireens sound and as they give chase, the young man in the now smashed up rental car pulls over to the side of the road. He failed to get his gun. Instead, looks like he's going to get a nice, cool jail cell all to himself. The local small town Vermont police tell him to step out of the car. He obliges, and you jump off his sock and decide to find a less dramatic lunch. My god, so there you go, Elizabeth. The Ballad of Robinhood Junior getting nabbed in America, goes to a gun star with a fake ID, tries to buy a gun, says it's for a bet with somebody. The gun owner is like, what are you talking about, right, and he's like, no, it's right, just right. I would just give me a gun. One are the big ones. And then they's like, hey, let me just call it. And then it didn't take a long They got nothing to do in Waterbury.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've never purchased a gun, but I would think that if I needed to do it under the radar. It's my understanding that it's looser at gun shows. Yes, yes, And I wouldn't have gone into a gun shop like a pawn shop.
Speaker 2: Maybe they don't care as much, but like gun shows are the thing.
Speaker 3: That's the shows are the thing, and you just rock The English accents say you you.
Speaker 2: Know you're a collector.
Speaker 3: You've moved here, or you're a collector you've lived here.
Speaker 2: I like that too.
Speaker 3: I live here now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm very scared of all your urban people.
Speaker 3: You people are terrifying. You're not right in the head, not one of you. And so I need to protect myself or you know, go somewhere in Europe and get one from like a he tried.
Speaker 2: He tried getting guns in He went up to Birmingham to get a gun and like it didn't work out. I think I couldn't get all the details on that part, but I think he did. He got jacked cash some geezer like Robin Hood. They used knife crime on him for his fake gun. So once he was in police custody, the offers pat down Stephen Jacklee. They frisk him to check his wallet. They discover his student ID card from the University of Wooster. So now the cops know that they're dealing with an Englishman and not a local, so they interview, or if you prefer, interrogate the suspects. Jacklee tells the Vermont detectives that he was just trying to buy a gun to win one hundred pound bet, I mean one hundred and fifty dollars, And the Vermont detectors are like, how much was that bet? And it's like, I said, one hundred and twenty five US dollars. I don't know what's exchange rate these days. So the cops were like, right, right, sure you do, So go on, tell us about this gun you wanted to buy. And he repeats the same story, and then when he's done, the Vermont detectives were like, so about these notes we found in your pockets and in your diary that outline plants for bank robberies. What's the story there?
Speaker 3: Wait, he went on the trip and brought all of his criming notes with you.
Speaker 2: He's got a ton of diaries, you know how, I got like a lot of note pats. But he's got that, so he would just jot down par light for this thing. Well he's on the plane, he's like jotting down somebody, you know if I go into.
Speaker 3: Yes, there's a time of the place.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. So, as one would say, legally speaking, the suspect was now screwed. Yeah, that's After talking the detectives, they charge them with leaving the scene of an accident and then trying to buy a gun without proper paperwork or something. I don't know exactly the charge in Vermont, but they get on the phone to the FBI, right and they're like, yo, should we call the ATF We call you guys. We got this kid who's over here trying to buy a gun, trying to smuggle back into the UK. And then also he's got like a bunch of fake id's and a bunch of bank robbery paperwork, but it looks like it's for the UK. So the FBI they reach out to police in the UK and they tell the Bobby's back in England about this crazy kid with all these notes about robbing banks, Like apparently he's a student at a University of Worcester and they're like, woo Street, you're right, yeah, okay, so then they go over and then they check, right, the UK cops, so actually the West Mercia police. Okay, they take a business trip over to the student housing and they search his flat and that's where the police find a ridiculous blonde wig, Audrey Hepburn, dark sunglasses, knives, a hammer, detailed notes outlining his plans for future bank robberies, as a as a cat named Detective Inspector Fox of the UK reported it to local reporters. We were made aware of Jackie win FBO officers dealing with him for firearms offenses, including attempting to buy a gun in America, recovered a diary from him which suggested he may have committed offenses in the UK. We then conducted searches at his Wooster University residents and premises in London. As Devin and Cornwall Constabulary searched his home and dress, items were recovered that linked Jacklee to numerous offenses including replica guns, knives, botta Clava's demand notes, disguises and of course has written notes in diaries detailing his offending.
Speaker 3: So they find just a cache of evidence amazing.
Speaker 2: For instance, in his crime diary, one of his entries recorded his attempt to buy a gun. As I said, back in England, he took a trip to Birmingham. He had seven hundred and fifty pounds on him, and then once he tried to get the gun, he would head over to a bank, kidnap the staff and rob the place. But he wasn't able to get the gun. And I think at your point is he got jack for the seven.
Speaker 3: So he then went home and journaled it out. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he wrote down therapy he went to, Yeah, and then when he went to America, he also journaled all of that, like I'm going to go to this gun store and I'm going to buy a gun and it's going to look like this. He either wrote about the stuff he had done, stuff he was going to do, stuff he wanted to do. It was all there. They had all of it right. And also, by the way, when the cops were searching his dorm, his student housing, they found a homemade bomb. Oh yeah, but it was fake. It was something that Jackie said was the result of the fact he was I was drunk and high when I decided to keep it in my room. I don't know if it sounded like he was a homemade bomb he made and not like a World War two munitions that he liked. Yes, fake, yeah, was it like the But the West Mercy of Police didn't know that. When they see it, it looks totally it was like.
Speaker 3: Three empty toilet paper rolls like duct taped together within like some speaker wire coming out of it.
Speaker 2: That'd be amazing, But I think it was more like one of those like crock pots, you.
Speaker 3: Know, like cooker preussure cooker like legit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly like Boston Marathon style.
Speaker 3: I think it's like he pulled a key pad off.
Speaker 2: Of that would be good, like a cartoon character to a bunch of like fake dynamite.
Speaker 3: A couple of bottle like plastic bottles of.
Speaker 2: Some road flares. So yeah, well, the West Mercy of Police they had to evacuate the area, calling the bomb squad, and the students living in the Wyvern and Bread and blocks of flats which are on the campus were evacuated for more than five hours and the Explosive Ordinance Disposal Unit was called in. So after it's all settled and done with the fake bomb, the UK police they go into Jacquie's place. They harvest all the evidence and this is all the evidence they need to solve the case of the Robin Hood Bandit well done, so they have all the evidence they need on them. Right, it's a case open and now case immediately close. So it's just page after page of diary notes from the crime career of the modern day Robin Hood.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: So at this point, now before the UK can get justice and take him to trial, the folks in the US were like, no, no, he's here. We want to get our taste of justice first. So the US refuses to send him back to the England. Right, America wants some American justice for trying to buy a gun in Vermont, Elizabeth even do it, No, but he tried. That's good enough. So his trial he goes. They take him to Vermont's Southern State Correctional Facility and he arrived right with the like the reputation of this master criminal. So at that point, the head of security for this place, Mark putanis he said, I was told that he had very sophisticated abilities and that escape should be at the forefront of my mind when dealing with him. He was considered such an escape risk. There were very few prisoners we worried about to the extent that we worried about him. He was basically on lockdown.
Speaker 3: Wait where did they get that?
Speaker 2: Because of his diaries? His plans were so elaborate, he's so like self aggrandizing. They're like, there must be a master criminal. He's real good. So this point, now Stephen Jacklie gets to know the FBI, so they keep showing up trying to get him to talk, like where'd you learn all this? Are you part of like a major international organization? Who was the organization you're talking about? So this one guy, specially Agent Scott Murray, right, he had met him the day he was arrested in May of two thousand and eight, and so he then becomes like his point person. So he's visiting him in prison. And the way he put it is, I do a lot than devolves firearms and explosives. Every case is different, but this one is memorable. I guess that's just the best way to put it. Like everyone was just so geeked by this Robin Hood, who's a master international criminal apparently, So imagine him this in this interrogation room at Vermont's Southern State Correctional Facility. And now we got special Agent Scott Murray sitting across the desk from this twenty two year old former geography student turned international man of mystery with an Interpol warrant, right he would he would explain to the college kid from Mooster who the FBI were, what they did for a living, because he hasn't known any of this, he's not from America.
Speaker 3: He's like, I think I see a lot American team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, He's like, are you guys like the Federal I don't know how this is like a thing, yeah, like what are we doing here? So, especially Agent Murray then drops copies of all the evidence they have against Jacklie. So they're photocopies primarily of his crime diary, and then there was additional journals from his student housing back in the UK that they like faxed over, So they're all the detailed plans for the bank robbery. So he's trying to get him to talk, like you know, it's open up, maybe like get you some justice. So there's all sorts of strange series of numbers and dates and coded language. They're like, is this like how you communicate with your international cabal and like So it turns out that no, it was just him eventually he drops this. He does like a like I don't know, imagine like a Pirouet turn. He's like, oh, here you go, and what about this last one? And he drops the photo copy that he'd received from his you know, colleagues overseas. It's a photocopy of a British bank note and scribbled on it were just two letters r H. And he's like, what is this? What is this all about? This is a code name, because like they were still like, you know, the UK cops were fairly certain it was Robin Hood, but they he had not said it, he'd not confirmed it, so they wanted confirmation. So Special Agent Murray's like, what does this mean? R H? And Jackie looked at him and he's like, Robin Hood or as I prefer, rob Hood.
Speaker 3: And they are just like such a door.
Speaker 2: So no matter. He couldn't crack this kid's edifice though, because he wouldn't, he would not talk at all. He said, I never felt I got a scope of who he is. So once he's done, he uh with you know, his early interrogations. He gets tried, convicted, He does ten months stretch in federal.
Speaker 3: Prison, federal prison, and for what were the guard.
Speaker 2: For the attempting to buy a gun. I don't know why this is such a big deal. But also then obviously running from the place the high speed car chase into a gun store owner's car. I mean they tacked him together. Right, So, as Jackie put it, it was terrible, no other worst to describe it. It was the worst experience. My relationship with fellow prisoners was really difficult because of my aspergers. I find it difficult to get on with people. The fact I was moved to about twenty prisons didn't help, So I think, let's say that's an exaggeration, right, Let's say it was ten prisons in ten months. So after his two of America's finest federal facilities the law back in the UK, they get their hands on the Robin and bank robber, the West Mercy of Police. They think they're gonna have to extra at him because the Americans just will not give him up. Come on, give us our guy we want. We got the press, keep the daily mails, call me every day for Christ's sake. So they finally send him back. Right, He's taken to the Wooster police station and they get this master criminal to explain about how he's been hitting the banks, the bookies and what have you, the local charity shops. So Detective Inspector Jim Fox died Fox and Fox right. I thought this nice full circle exactly. So the complexities of the case continued as we could not interview xactly due to legal restrictions and had to prepariphile that proved every aspect of our case against him, down to handwriting analysis to prove the diaries were his and obtaining DNA and fingerprints from the USA. It was such a well prepared case that we were confident of a guilty plea due to the overwhelming evidence.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, he boxed it up for you pretty much.
Speaker 2: They had it all and then they have the ten month head start until he gets back. So when he gets back, he faces twenty one different charges. No boy, Oh yeah, it comes down to five armed robberies, three attempted armed robberies, seven firearms offenses in relation to the robberies, the assault occasioning actual bodily harm, and finally one attempted burglary of a bank and one burgley. I assume that's the charity shop. Sure, yeah, So all during his trial he confesses to doing the jobs he did for practice. Then also he mentioned that he was in the Netherlands he pulled a knife point robbery and then he fled back to England. He was never caught for that one, and since it was in the Netherlands, the British were like, we'll give you that one for free. So meanwhile, the judge is not particularly moved by his whole robin hood thing. He's like, he doesn't find that cute. Apparently he has grandkids or whatever. He's like, I don't I'm not going for this whole robbin hood thing. Was he stopped playing dress up and scaring people or working for a living. So he said that his activity had no beneficiaries but himself, although in just one incident that delivered cash to a charity shop that he had damaged during its attempts to gain entry to an adjoining bank, he'd also stolen items from that same charity shop, so he threw the book at him. Jackie eventually pleads guilty to eighteen of the twenty one charges, convicted to a twelve year stretch and British prisons. His sentence was later shortened after he appealed, and so he peeled on grounds of his Asperger syndrome affecting him, and then the London Criminal Appeal Court ruled that he lacked full quote awareness of the consequences of his actions and therefore his culpability to have been significantly impaired. Right, So I got to keep that in my back pocket if I ever get into legal trouble in the UK, Your honor, we consider the fact I'm kind of aspy, like seriously, I mean, no, I don't have a professional diagnosis. It's just something people say about me. But I think that we should introduce so anyway, Stephen Jacklie gets released in twenty fourteen after doing five of the twelve years. Yeah, you know, while he was inside, Jackie did what he did best. He compulsively wrote down his thoughts and when he was released he had a whole book ready to go. And as Reli said time and time again, yes, prison is apparently the best writing group there is. It is so many book deals come out of prison. Jackly, though true to his nature, set up his own publishing company because he was still very much an anti capitalist. He stayed true to his ethical stance and he gave himself a book deal. There you go, Elizabeth what's a ridiculous takeaway?
Speaker 3: My goodness, don't take notes the right Stop journaling. Everybody, stop journaling. You're all incriminating yourselves. Oh you think even if you're like, this is this is these are my emotions for the day. Crimes top in the old cranium.
Speaker 2: Interesting. You know, I think that I journal journal. I put a lot of notes down journal. I wouldn't say that it's a journal, but I have a lot of notes. But like, people just look at this, They're like, what is this crackpot math that I'm looking saying.
Speaker 3: I've seen one of your notebooks. I've peaked over your should it's just mass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, there's nothing numbers like I could be. I could be like, you know, I think indicted by like the the annals of math. Journal.
Speaker 3: Don't many ideas.
Speaker 2: But there you go. That's my ridiculous takeaway. Don't give me any ideas.
Speaker 3: Don't give many ideas.
Speaker 2: So hey, you in the mood for a talkback to wash this down?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Can you favors with one? Oh my god, I.
Speaker 3: Love get.
Speaker 4: Hey, ridiculous crime crew. This is Katie calling from Tacoma, Washington. I just finished listening to the plant Crimes episode, and I just learned I have that same purple tomato in my garden from the episode, So yeah, I thought that was really exciting. Thanks Aul, love the show and keep producing great stuff as you always do.
Speaker 3: Thanks very much, Thank you, Katie, ma'am. How can you tell me you have the tomato and not give me like a full rundown review flavor profile? What's the color when you cut her?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Is it like other purple tomatoes where the outside were where it takes much longer to come right.
Speaker 2: But a lot more Katie? Can you reach it back out?
Speaker 3: Don't another talk though?
Speaker 2: Just looking at her face?
Speaker 3: She needs me a review of the tomato. I love that you have that.
Speaker 2: Well. As always. You can find us online Ridiculous Crime on social media. That's Instagram, blue Sky, Maybe we'll go to TikTok, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know, Banger and Flanger the jump Shot.
Speaker 2: We have the account Ridiculous Crime Pod on YouTube. That one is actually cool. You should check it out, Tell a friend, leave a comment like subscribe, Tell your mom and tell your daddy. Tell you greasy Greasy Granny. We also have a website, Ridiculous Crime dot com. We love the talkbacks. Obviously, so go hit the ird app, download that record a talkback. Maybe you'll hear your voice here. We'd love to hear it, yes, and oh, email us if you like it. Ridiculous Crime at gmail dot com. We do love the emails too. Thank you for listening and we will catch you next crime. Ridiculous Crime is hosted by Elizabeth Dutton and Zaron Burnett, producing, edited by The Little John to Our Friar Tuck, Dave Kustin, and starring Annalys Rucker as Judith. Research is by co presidents of Disney's Robinhood Fan Club, Marissa Brown and Jabbari Davis. Our theme song is by co presidents of the Disney Robinhood Official Furry Fandom, Thomas Lee and Travis Dutton. The host wardrobe provided by Botany five hundred guest Haarn, makeup by Sparkleshot and mister Andre. Executive producers are Bend you know I went through a robin Hood phase in my teens Bowlin and No, Yeah, well I went through Kevin Cosker phase during my teens.
Speaker 3: Brown, Why say it one more time? Cry?
Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio four more podcasts my Heart Radio visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.