Speaker 1: Hey, that folks. It is Wednesday, August fifth, and we are upset for another day of testimony in the triple murder trial of Lindsey Clancy, the mom who did strangle her three kids. And if it's anything like the past several days, you can expect more drama and maybe even yes, more points scored for the defense. And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ Roll. Just has been day after day. We're not exactly sure what to expect, but one thing that has been consistent as of late, the defense is making some points and making some examples of some of the prosecution witnesses.
Speaker 2: That's true. I feel like each day it feels like even though the defense hasn't technically put on its case yet, it still has done a fantastic job in doing exactly what they're supposed to do for their client, which is to take some of these prosecution withhisnesses and call into question what they're saying, why they're saying it, and planting that seed of doubt that are more than a seed of doubt that Lindsay Clancy was sane when she premeditated the murders of her children because she wanted to live a child free life and faked her suicide so that she could get away with triple murder. Look, it's a high bar, it seems like emotionally to reach when you're looking at a mom who seemingly loved her kids. But the defense is doing a fantastic job at really trying to or poking holes in what the prosecution is trying to present to the jury. That this woman methodically planned out her children's murders and wanted to ride off into the sunset by herself.
Speaker 1: Now, this was a high bar emotionally speaking to understand how this woman is capable of this and she not be insane or disturbed in some way. That was a high bar. But jury, and I think all of us, we're willing to listen to the prosecution make its case. What we have been listening to so far. However, Robes is prosecution witness after prosecution witness making the defense's case. They get up there saying one thing, and then the defense gets a hold in the cross examination and they have to then admitt that the defense theory is sound. How many go, Yes, I agree, Yes, that is possible. Yes, you are right, it's Truehart. They haven't challenged the defense argument once up there on the stand. Now one of them has gone up and said, yep, I think she was perfectly sane because blank blank blank.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting because time it's true, because so often the insanity defense, I mean, we know this historically, speaking is one of the most difficult defenses to put on. It's so hard in most murder cases to prove that a defendant was insane at the time of the murder or murderers in this case, But in the trial of Lindsay Clancy, I feel like it's the opposite.
Speaker 1: Complete opposite, is exactly what we're seeing. There is a treasure trove of evidence and robes. The trail goes for months and even years as a woman had mental issues severe and all this evidence from everybody talking about how much more severe they get. Okay, So now that the prosecution is supposed to be telling us, proving to us with its experts robes that no, it wasn't the case because look, she planned it out, she was acting perfectly normal. She sounded calm. That's what they told us in opening statements. And then their expert got up there and said, yeah, when people are insightchosis, they often can appear calm, they can make plans and be perfectly normal. Huh, Robs. The prosecution case is Roves, and I have seen I know you have as well, some legal experts in the analysis saying this is not going well for the prosecution to the point of embarrassment at some points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and look it began. Day six began yesterday with the emergency room surgeon who examined Lindsay Clancy when she was first brought in. This was the first hospital she attended, and she was combative with the defense for sure, but she testified that the wounds on Lindsay Clancy were, in fact, the ones on her neck and wrists that were self inflicted were superficial. And even when the defense pushed back and said, so you're saying they weren't deep, and she said, yep, they weren't deep, and so she was really kind of doubling down that these were not intended to actually do harm. But eventually, and pretty quickly, I guess I should say, the defense attorney was able to get her to admit that, yes, in fact, Lindsay Clancy's injuries were at a level one, which is the highest level of injuries. So much so that she had to make and was a part of the decision to move her to metavac her to another hospital where she could be better treated for her egregious wounds. And then he got her to admit that, yeah, she even died that night at that next hospital, she went into cardiac arrest, had a code blue. So for all of this talk about superficial wounds, that kind of just went away when she was forced to describe the life threatening injuries that Lindsay Clancy in fact did.
Speaker 1: Kind where are they saying all the blood came from in the bedroom before she jumped, right, They talk about blood being all over the place, And I keep hearing about these wounds and she was describing them when the cups cuts this deep and I'm like, wow, that sounds pretty deep. She's called that one the superficial one, but because it didn't go down to the muscle intendon, she didn't consider it deep. Maybe that's a medical determination. But ropes they described, They showed them pictures. There's blood all over the place, yet superficial wound. It seems difficult to create that. But yes, he's breaking this way. She wanted to admit that she was a part of something and then were you a part of the de say, well, you know, it was a group of us kind of you know, we discussed it among gufs bro She I don't know why she was so combative. Well, if anybody questions your work, I guess you would be defensive.
Speaker 2: And that is where and but what the problem is, at least for the prosecution, I should say, when you're watching your witness testify to something that you're hoping lands with a jury, that these wounds are superficial, that she didn't really try to kill herself, she didn't really want to die. Yeah, when you see that same witness when cross examines start getting super defensive, it's not good. It's not good for their credibility at all. Obviously it's a smart woman. She's a smart woman, she's an emergency room surgeon. But getting defensive, getting combative, it's not a good look.
Speaker 1: It suggests you have something to hide, It suggests you did something wrong. Right, and again, when you see these are the people we supposed to respect up there, they're not on one side or another. They just give you their facts. Yes, several of the witnesses that he is he is getting them worked out rough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And look, we won't go in chronological order because we're talking about the blood. So I think it's good to talk about now this blood staining in those photos that we saw. Yes, the blood on the nightstand, blood on the carpet, blood in the basement. Actually, but one of the big focuses was that you had a bloodstained pattern. Analyst. This was actually the final this was the final witness of the day. But she was describing the blood staining under the bedroom window and on the shingles. And this was a big point of contention because the prosecution is trying to suggest that Lindsey Clancy didn't jump, didn't throw herself out of the window to kill herself. No, she lowered herself and tried to do as little damage as possible to make it look like she jumped. But actually she kind of just hung out the window and lowered herself. And they claimed the blood stained patterns prove that. No.
Speaker 1: I like the blood stained lady. She was nice. She was nice under and the guy was coming after. Well it wasn't coming after. But I'm just saying she she held up on new questioning, and she was the type of witness it doesn't matter who the information looked good for or bad for. She just gave it to Upstraate, So I kind of I kind of appreciated that, but I didn't think as much about the the second part of me going down the wall, which was fantastic, the court room drama, but the idea of the suggestion with the hands, it was important that, yes, that's blood, and so it appeared that somebody was trying to jump out of the window and not climb out of the wind. It was important that point he was making. And red brown stains we hear a lot, and they were suggesting the reason they call it that is because you see and you assume it's something, But that could be blood, it could be other things. And he got her to admit that, yes, even though it's a bread brown stain and technic you don't have the analysis of blood, but doesn't it make sense that it's blood all over the room and it appears there was are handprint. That was another point he got her to admit that, and he demonstrated he was kind of holding onto the table in the courtroom. Yeah, he was.
Speaker 2: He's a showman, all right. He absolutely is someone to watch and you pay attention when he talks, and he the big deal was the prosecution was trying to focus on the fact that there was a droplet on these shingles, and that would imply that she stayed in one area long enough that she was trying to lower herself and so the blood dripped versus if you jumped, it would splatter in a different way. But yes, then we had that moment where the defense attorney said, look, so if they're trying to suggest she's Spider Man down the wall of the house, wouldn't there be blood smear all the way down and the blood the blood stained pattern. Analyst had to say, yeah, we would have seen that. Did you see that? No, we did not see that. So he scored a really big point with this notion that somehow she wasn't actually trying to jump out of the window.
Speaker 1: See, this is another one robes for the prosecution. If you're making do you not know that question is going to get asked robes. That was for a I understand that no matter what level of education you have, you're sitting in that jury box. Did she Spider Man down the wall? I know exactly what that means. And the blood expert, who so far is a really nice lady that I like up on the stand just told me there is no blood from this fully bleeding lady going down the wall. It means she didn't carefully come out. It suggests again Robes that this lady tried to kill herself.
Speaker 2: And by the way, this lady is sitting there at the defense table in a wheelchair. So look, I understand they're trying to say she didn't mean to die, or she wasn't trying to die, but she paralyzed herself from the waist down. That's a fact that is seen each minute of each day those jurors are in court. They're seeing a woman who, I would think it's fairly fair to draw the conclusion tried to kill herself. No one wants to live paralyzed for the rest of their life. And if you're carefully trying to come down a second story window, she didn't do a good job of that. Then, even because she fell at least far enough to paralyze herself, they're.
Speaker 1: Telling us that a woman who slashed her own neck and her wrists and then threw herself out of a window, that was a fake attempt to cover up that she wanted to kill her three kids because she just wanted to be free. That is their narrative. That's a tough one, baby, that's really tough.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm so shocked by that the prosecution felt like they didn't already have a sympathetic character. I mean, it's understandable that obviously the children are the victims, that is where the sympathy is obviously should go towards. But still you do have a mother who appears to me very sympathetic, and to to try to explain or try to convince a jury that she's not that she's a monster, that she tried to preserve her own life while killing her children. I think it's tough when you just see her in that courtroom, how she's responding the fact that she's in a wheelchair, and combined with what the defense is doing so far, it doesn't feel like the prosecution has made much headway at all.
Speaker 1: This trial has solidified what we already suspected is that this was a sick woman and the prosecution has chosen to do this trial. And maybe this does serve a good purpose for us robes because we hear somebody kill their three kids, we want to get mad at that. Person immediately the stories that came out, and now sitting through this trial, they have really confirmed just how sick this woman was.
Speaker 2: I would try to completely agree with that. When we come back, we're going to talk about the other witnesses that took the stand, including two troopers, and why the defense got so upset when three toxicologists took the stand. It all has everything to do with the fact that Lindsay Clancy spoke at the beginning of day six and what she had to say created a lot of drama later on in the trial. Welcome back everyone to Amy and TJ. We are talking about day six of the Lindsay Clancy trial. And look, we had an episode on this yesterday because it was fairly shocking. At the beginning of the trial, day day six, we had Lindsay Clancy's stand up answer a bunch of questions by the judge because she and her attorneys agreed along with the prosecution to concede certain facts including DNA, blood evidence, chain of custody, all of those things that typically a prosecution would have to prove to try and say this person murdered these children. She's conceded that, she's admitted that, so they wanted to basically say, hey, we don't have to go through all of this testimony, dozens of witnesses to try and prove some DNA, some chain of evidence, so we can skip all that she agreed to stipulate some of these facts. We can move on, right, So then why did the prosecution end up calling three toxicologists to talk about what's in and lindsay Clancy's blood and urine, what we were in the children's urine. At a certain point, the defense questioned why we have to have so many toxicologists after they had already agreed to many of these facts, which then created a sidebar. Yes, and then the judge coming back and actually telling the jurors about this agreement about the stipulation, But it begs the question, why was the prosecution pushing it regardless of what had been agreed to earlier.
Speaker 1: They didn't give that answer an open court, right because I was curious to know, because I was I didn't get it. After the whole stipulations, things supposed to go faster, and then we were going through the same stuff that two sides. Why are we giving testimony about something that both sides completely agree to? Is the point. That makes sense.
Speaker 2: So I was listening to some legal analysis, and the best guess is that the prosecution still understands that the more they can talk about blood evidence, the more they can talk about DNA and some of the gruesomeness and the crime scene and the photos, all of that you're creating, or you're continuing to push the jury to think about those kids, to think about what happened to those kids, to think about the pain and the injury caused to those kids, and then the anger would be directed at the mom. The anger would then be directed at the defense table. So the more you can keep talking about this, the better the chance is they have of convincing a jury that she is the monster in the room. That's the best guess. But look, then, why agree to move on and move from these types of witnesses testifying to the exact evidence that they've already agreed is factual.
Speaker 1: This is an emotional miscalculation right now. I mean, yes, I'm emotional about the kids, we all are. But your next thing, Robes is too like you want to blame somebody. I start going back to doctors, to her, her husband and loved ones and what was missed and all these things, not to blame other folks, but you want to learn from it. Robes. We all do to identify this, to start talking more about women and postpartum and what that really does. Robes. This is incredibly important, but it's also important how we talk about mental illness right now and what's happening in the courtroom and how the prosecution is handling Itbes. It doesn't It doesn't make you hate this lady.
Speaker 2: No, And it doesn't feel right. It doesn't feel right coming from the prosecution. That's all I can say.
Speaker 1: Some feels wrong about the prosecution.
Speaker 2: That's what it feels like, and that's just from an outside perspective. But also they had troopers, two different police officers who were there collecting evidence at the scene also testify yesterday to and they were focusing on the number of prescription drug bottles that they recovered and they lined them all up and they showed the photos of them. And we've seen the prosecution trying to be this drum before that. Even though there were a lot of pill bottles, there were a ton of pills in each of the bottles. In one of the pills there was still a full thirty count the suggestion being that the drugs weren't to blame, the suggestion being that the doctors weren't to blame for over medicating her, That she wasn't even taking many of these medications. And they're trying to imply that even though yes, she did have some in her system, the benzo diazepines benzodiazepines were in her blood and urine that's to treat insomnia and anxiety. As some of the other drugs that the defenses pointing to that exacerbated her situation weren't in We're still in the pill bottles. So I don't know what headway they made there, just trying to say, look, she wasn't taking all of these drugs.
Speaker 1: Okay, I wouldn't some suggest that weren't they supposed to help her? Well?
Speaker 2: Yes, so yeah, and why would you need to take drugs because you're suffering from mental illness, which is the whole point the defense is trying to bring home.
Speaker 1: I just we'll see how this. I am only a half day today, right, yes.
Speaker 2: So today is going to be today's day seven of testimony. It's going to be a shorter day. The judge already announced that to jurors they will be listening to testimony from nine am until one pm, and then the judge says that he wants to work some things out with lawyers in the afternoon. We don't know what that is and will we have been able to see unless it's a sidebar. We have been able to see a lot of what goes on outside of the jury. Unclear if we'll be able to see what's happening in the afternoon session.
Speaker 1: It's going to be on the record or not be interesting. But if you always starts at nine o'clock, if you all get a chance as being live stream. But just this is something that some hellodrama, and I think it's such an important story, bros. Moving forward in how we discuss women and postpartum issues.
Speaker 2: It's huge. This is actually the national spotlight that I think is super important for this very this little understood yet very serious mental health condition that affects so many women different varying degrees obviously from postpartum depression all the way to this extreme postpartum psychosis. But it's just a shame that it took a tragedy on this level for it to reach the forefront. But we'll continue to watch all of the events inside that Massachusetts courtroom today and bring you the very latest. We always appreciate you listening to us. I'm Amy Roboch alongside TJ. Holmes. We'll talk sore