Speaker 1: Hi everyone, I'm Rachel Zoe and you're listening to Climbing in Heels for your weekly dose of glamour, inspiration and of course fun. In honor fashion Month coming to an end, I'm throwing it back and paying tribute to one of my all time favorite fashion icons.
Speaker 2: Emon.
Speaker 1: Emon has truly pushed the boundaries of the fashion industry by staying true to herself and what she believes in. She is just the most iconic and gorgeous woman, and I am so lucky to call her a friend. So let's jump right in.
Speaker 2: Hi darling, Oh my god, I miss you so much.
Speaker 3: How are you? How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm so good? How are you?
Speaker 4: I'm okay, I'm how's the kids?
Speaker 1: They're so good? They're so bad. I mean there are eleven and eight. I can't believe it. How are yours?
Speaker 2: Big? Old?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm My kids are.
Speaker 3: Old and they are older, and I have three grandchildren.
Speaker 2: I cannot believe you have grandchildren?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Do they call you grandma or do you have another name?
Speaker 3: Nana?
Speaker 1: I'm so happy to see you. You look stunning.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you?
Speaker 2: I do not Oh my.
Speaker 1: God, you so I started this podcast Climbing in Heels because there are so many incredible superwomen in my life that I've met along my journey, in my life and in my career, and you have always stood out as just one of the most elegant, beautiful souls, just beyond your actual physical beauty. You've just always been this ray of light in those crazy rooms in my life. And you know what I'm taught talking about when you walk into those rooms and it's crazy, and I would always feel very lost and very small and very you know, intimidated, And you were just always this strikingly tall, beautiful but kind and friendly and still funny, always funny person in my life. And so before I was getting on, I was I was thinking about your journey and what an incredible journey it's been. And I mean, it would take us years to get through that, but I do want to talk about because everybody knows who you are. Everybody knows Emon the Queen, and so for my listeners, I think it's very important to know, you know. I call this podcast Climbing and Heels because I think that so many of the women I know that get to where they are, they don't sacrifice being a woman for it. They don't sacrifice embracing their beauty and femininity as a woman and using their superpowers in various ways. And you're such a good example of that. And so what I want to go to is just a little bit from the beginning of like who were you as this child? Were you always this person that was like I want to do a million things in my life, I need to do this, this is or were you just like chill? I can't imagine that you were, but please tell me yes, person of.
Speaker 4: All, as you said, I never would have thought of you when you walk into a room that you were small. You are not a small personality. That's a bad way. So I don't know what you're talking about. Bed, you own the room, money you walk in regards regardless of how high your heels were, my journey, really it was I never I've never envisioned myself of where my trajectory or journey took me. I was always intending to major in political science and follow the footsteps of my father, who was an ambassador, so I was more into politics. I've never seen fashion magazines, never board heels or make up way before I came to the United States, So I was an ambassador's daughter for many years, and then in nineteen sixty nine, my country, Somalia, had had a military regime took over and all the embassies were closed and we all came back home and a lot of people would either put in prison or execute it.
Speaker 3: So my parents decided in the middle of the nineteen.
Speaker 4: Nineteen seventy two that we were going to flee the country, and so they put us in a vain and just drove to the border of Kenya and then we crossed over by vote, just with the clothes on our back and instantly became refugees. So when I I arrived in any of that was my.
Speaker 3: Lot in life. All I was trying to do was actually trying to get a.
Speaker 4: Scholarship to finish the university. And so I had no no recollection of ever seeing a fashion.
Speaker 3: Magazine in my life.
Speaker 4: And one day while I was walking down the street on my.
Speaker 3: Way from one job to another.
Speaker 4: And Peter beer to the photographer, stopped me in the street and asked me if I had ever been photographed. So I had no idea what he was trying to talk about. I thought he was trying to pick.
Speaker 1: Me up, and I said, you're probably like, huh, handsome man asking to take my picture.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so he he said to me the magic word. He said, I will pay you and I said, well how much? He said, well, how much do you need? And I said it's eight thousand dollars. That was the question for one year and he said, okay, I'll pay you.
Speaker 3: And he took pictures of me just and.
Speaker 4: I had a friend with me, and so he took these pictures of me and then I thought I'll never see him again. And three months later I didn't have our staying at the in campus at the university, I didn't have a phone.
Speaker 3: So he had a friend of mine who worked at Pannan. This is how.
Speaker 2: My god.
Speaker 4: He called her and told her to let me know that he wants to talk to me. So I went there to her office the next day and it was Wilhelmina, who owned Wilhelmina agency agency and him on the phone and they both said, me saw the pictures. She said, she saw the pictures. She's going to send me a ticket. I could become a big model. And I had no idea what they were talking about. And the only thing I asked for was a return ticket back home if I didn't have if I didn't want to stay, and I still have the ticket.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I bet you do.
Speaker 4: Yes, I do, I do, And so I give into the United States and.
Speaker 3: On my Thursday in New York, I was working for vote.
Speaker 1: That's the sickest thing ever. Yeah, but it just, honestly, it just shows that you were just so smart and clever about how you conducted yourself in life, no matter what like meaning you were. You were living in a not ideal situation, right, I mean you left with nothing but the clothes in your back, basically starting your life.
Speaker 2: So how old were you when you came to New York.
Speaker 1: I was barely nineteen, barely nineteen, barely nineteen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I thought I was just really checking out what they were talking about the industry. I had no intention of actually staying. And then when things happened for me, it was an opportunity for me to be able to send my brothers and sisters so they can finish their education, yeah, and take care of my parents.
Speaker 3: So that's what really the industry has, you know, was helpful to me, sure.
Speaker 4: But objectory of my life completely changed, you know, in just one instant of being photographed by.
Speaker 1: Peter, and I think you know, to some extent that still happens now. I feel like, right, I mean it's such a massive conversation, but I mean you broke down endless, countless walls in the modeling industry.
Speaker 2: You were so.
Speaker 1: Much more than like a beautiful model. It was sort of like emon, right, It was sort of like the one word, the one name, the like that, and you really just stood out because I what's funny is what I remember so well, of course, is what you wore. You know, you know, this sort of like model off duty look of like the jeans and T shirts and sneakers and whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't have any image of you in that.
Speaker 1: I have images of you and like Halston, Bob Mackie, like I guess one of my questions is to you is like were you obsessed with it?
Speaker 2: Were you loving it? Were you living for the sort of fashion of it? Were you like?
Speaker 1: It just seems to me that you had such a deep love and still do to this day. And look at you right now, You're not in jeans and a T shirt.
Speaker 4: But no, I was not obsessed with it because I was learning on the job.
Speaker 3: But what what it opened the doors for me?
Speaker 4: It is things that regular people are not don't experience. I mean, my first walk on the runway was for Halston, right, and I've never.
Speaker 3: Forget when I went to see him in his.
Speaker 4: Massive Olympic Tower studio with all the mirrors everywhere, and he had an ever present cigarette in his hand and a hand in his pocket.
Speaker 1: And a turtlekneck and turtlet, but a hand in his pocket, even although he was in his office.
Speaker 4: He was almost posy, exactly exactly, and he said to me, Darling, can you walk? I said, how the f do you think I got here? But he said, Okay, I know you just came from Africa, but walking here is different than walking out the street. So and that was the first time I even learned about the world walking in our industry, what it means that it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Mean just walking down the street.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so yeah, and so you're exposed to that. But really the level of understanding the fashion industry and its designers came to me when one season some Lavan asked me to be his muse for Thekuturu collection.
Speaker 1: You realize that my whole insights are collapsing as you say this, right, this is literally like it's it's almost like you're singing this song to me of dreams. Okay, it was like Halston walking into a studio and then and it.
Speaker 4: Was really first of all, I was clueless what amuse meant? So I thought there were like, there would be lots of girls, other girls, but it was only me. And he literally had bolts of fabric that he cut on my body. He was creating the collection as.
Speaker 3: I was standing right there. And when he.
Speaker 4: Finished, the collection was called The African Queen and David Bailey took the pictures and you know that, So you had that level of couture collections and understanding these colorless and things and you know, jewelry.
Speaker 3: And amazing, amazing hyper environment.
Speaker 4: And then cut to Terry Mugler and Claude Montana and John Cabot here who was the three Los von in Paris, and then he.
Speaker 3: Became the muse of Terry Mugler, who was like an.
Speaker 4: Ng M film director because all his shows looked like.
Speaker 3: Like scenes from Seems exactly exactly. So you know, so there is.
Speaker 4: That experience and what you have in fashion is that we literally I used to call it literally the circus because you know, we'll go to Paris and the tents will blow up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes it's true.
Speaker 4: And we will be there and doing all kinds of crazy fashions and the tents come back down and we moved onto another city. So it's like really running away with the circles being with fashion.
Speaker 2: I need to put that on a T shirt.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, you know, I always like to know what that moment that changed your life and your career was. I mean, it would obviously be the Peter Bard moment, right, I mean, but there was probably many.
Speaker 4: Yes, there were many, but that was really you know, that that opened the door. And then there were like the designers obviously who from the Givangis to the ifs on alone who used lots of sixty percent of their cabine on runway with black models of Asian models. So you had really at that time, really had through inclusivity. Yeah, not by world, but really existed, right. But for me as my trajectory.
Speaker 3: What changes was really becoming used to uh to Terry.
Speaker 4: Mugler, because I remember every shows that I would go and you know, as a black model, most of the design most of the hairdressers didn't know how.
Speaker 3: To do with our hair.
Speaker 4: So immediately they just just pull it back in a shoon, right. So Terry Mugler was the first person who said, you know, think of your craziest dreams and we'll go for it. And it's for the first time where I met a hairdresser, a black hairdresser in New York who did hair extensions, and she did the hair extensions, and I arrived in Paris, and you would think that they have so seen me in a different light because now, all of a sudden, my head could be straight, it would be curly, it could.
Speaker 3: Be an afroc, you know. So that completely changed.
Speaker 4: The trajectory of my real bresiness because all of a sudden we were seen in a different blood.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting. And then I imagine that the same thing probably happened with makeup, yep, because that's something you and I have talked about that And I remember when you launched your makeup and you said, I needed to make a line of makeup for us because nobody at the shows was able to match your skin tone to the foundation and da da da, And so tell me about that, because I think that is so incredibly important to know and I think for everyone to really understand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly because nowa there's a lot of young people are really letting in an environment where fency exists, you know, so they don't know where actually this could have come from. Yes, and as lovely as Lehanna has invented that, there were other smaller companies before I started that they were trying to do, but there was not really a marketplace for us. But in nineteen seventy five, my first job when I arrived was American Vogue, and the shoot there was a Caucasian model and I and it was with Arthur Elbert, and there was a makeup artist and he started doing the white girl's makeup, and then when he came to my turn, he asked me a very perplexing question because I knew it was not lost on me that he did not ask that question to the other girl, And he said, did you bring your own foundation?
Speaker 3: Because he had nothing for me.
Speaker 4: So he started mixing products and put it on my face, and when I looked in the mirror, I looked gray.
Speaker 3: And so I thought after that shoot, I thought, if I survived this shoot, I'm going to find out some kind of a way that I.
Speaker 4: Can get something in the marketplace and mix a product that I can use and take it.
Speaker 3: With me to the shoots because they don't have it.
Speaker 4: And just the gods of fashion was looking after me. Pictures in black and white, and black and white. It's multitude of sins.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Okay.
Speaker 4: So I went and bought all these foundations that I found, things that have a little bit of a tent, and I mixed it and I had the original selfish the polaroid and I'll put the makeup on and I'll take I'll take a picture of myself just to see it.
Speaker 3: How will it translate it into photography?
Speaker 4: Because at the end of the day, as a model, image is my parents.
Speaker 3: Nobody cares about how I really is. How do I do I translate into photographs? And I wanted to have some kind of a control of that.
Speaker 4: So I never went to a job without having something in my pocket. And when I started doing the runways and I would be doing my makeup, every black marble would come to me and she says, let me see what you have? Can I use some of yous?
Speaker 3: Wow? And so from there the.
Speaker 4: Seed of creating Imaan Cosmetics was in my head. And when I stopped modeling in nineteen eighty nine I created in nineteen ninety forty nine.
Speaker 3: Pluses.
Speaker 1: Wow, Yes, it's weird, though I don't I feel like you still model? Yes, I mean I feel like you're still modeled. Like, what do you mean you're still modeling? You did not stop in eighty nine?
Speaker 3: What? Let me tell you. In nineteen eighty nine, my last show was for.
Speaker 4: Thierry Millblair, his first Cotol collection, and I said bye, and I told everybody.
Speaker 3: That was that was my last show.
Speaker 4: And I remember because it was very poignant and very sweet. All the photographers in the marsh pat came on the stage and took the last picture with me. I have to tell you, I have not been to a fashion show since nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 2: No, you haven't been to one, or you haven't walked in one.
Speaker 4: I have not walked in one, and I have not been in what well, if you think.
Speaker 3: About it, I've worked with mostly all the designers and so who So I'm I'm going to go to go.
Speaker 1: There's no way that you have not been asked four hundred times to walk a show, not.
Speaker 4: Like as recent as last.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, but I don't.
Speaker 2: Now a word from our sponsor that is real. It's actually really.
Speaker 1: Incredible because how many times do icons retire and then like a month later they're like, just kidding, just kidding, I'm coming back. And I feel like I've seen it with countless like singers and actors, and everyone's like, I'm done, I'm done.
Speaker 2: I'm quitting. I'm quitting, even like Tom Brady quitting. Just kidding.
Speaker 4: But but he's going to be in trouble with if he doesn't keep up.
Speaker 3: I know it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's listen, yes, okay, Emon Cosmetics.
Speaker 2: It's amazing, it's beautiful.
Speaker 1: You've done I feel like hundreds of thousands of things because I just feel like you're such this large presence and you're you have so much to say about things.
Speaker 4: You know. I've written two books, you know, very successful books. One was on beauty and was called The Beauty of Color, and it was the ultimate guy for skin of color. And and it was not just for black women, it was also for latinis because I built my forward and I had.
Speaker 3: Aba Mendez and you know Jay Jagg and you know.
Speaker 4: Everybody under this under that umbrella as a global community and as beauty that is not the.
Speaker 3: Standard of just white.
Speaker 4: And then I wrote a book called I Am in Man, which was photography and and and my story about how I from my where I came.
Speaker 3: From doing this industry.
Speaker 4: Uh and you know, and then during COVID, I was contacted by YouTube and these directors with them and they.
Speaker 3: Were going to They wanted to talk to me about.
Speaker 4: A doggy series that called Supreme Models, which was based on a book called Supreme Models, which is black models who revolutionized fashion industry. So I said to them, you know, I said to them, what are you bringing to the table that has not been.
Speaker 3: Said about black beauty and black models?
Speaker 4: And they said, are you aware that there has never been a documentary on black beauty or black marbles, which was surprising to me at twenty twenty one that there has nothing else existence. So that's how I came on board and we did the dog series and it is really beautiful and it is not more about the trials and tribulations, although we do talk about that, but it's more about the joy and celebration of black beauty and what that singularly black fashion model, or how she was responsible for cultural changes that has been going through in our industry from black is beautiful in.
Speaker 3: The nineteen sixties till now.
Speaker 4: So that's the whole all history of black mons and black culture and black beauty till now.
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 2: And Zendia is in there? Who I.
Speaker 3: She is?
Speaker 2: How impressed are you with her?
Speaker 3: I'm beyond she is.
Speaker 2: She's mind boggling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, more important than how young she is.
Speaker 2: It's actually unreal.
Speaker 1: She's so she's so young, and she's so gifted, and she's so she's so clear, like even just when I've seen her win countless awards in person and from afar, and I have to say, like the way that she speaks with conviction and at such a young age, she's just she's really special.
Speaker 2: I mean, she's so impressive.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, absolutely, you know That's what I'm usually I'm impressed with is young, how young she is, and how to get though she is, which is yeah, No.
Speaker 3: She's lovely, She's lovely.
Speaker 4: I have the pleasure of she asked me to award how to give her the award as a fashion icon.
Speaker 1: Award, as it should be, but both deserved by the way.
Speaker 2: I loved watching you get that award. That was the best. That was the best.
Speaker 1: So okay, so you've had obviously quite a journey. In any journey, there's so many adversities, there's so many challenges, and you know the thing is, I think you've broken down so many walls, ceilings, doors for people. On the one hand, you know, it was a different time than it is now. Now, I feel like there's so much more inclusivity and everything like that, and there's so much less tolerance for such terrible treatment to any model. Honestly, what strikes you as something that you'll like never forget, something that really knocked you down where you were, like, I cannot believe if this's just happened, and I cannot believe how angry I am. But guess what this is going to passed me off so much that now I have to like do more. I have to change this or I have to you know, I imagine there's been some triggers.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: The first one was when I arrived in New York in nineteen seventy five and I started working.
Speaker 3: I found out.
Speaker 4: That that the pay between.
Speaker 3: Black modles and white models was not the same.
Speaker 4: Black mouths chold were being paid less for the same job. So I said to Wilhelmina, I said, listen, definitely this is and places act, but let's take place even out of the equation. I said, what I want, what I'm demanding is for services winter if somebody is doing the same job like I am, I want to be paying the same amount. And it was like then the clients will not go for it, blah bla blah blah, And I said, Okay, you know I'm gonna I'm not going to be working. I just want to tell you I'm not going to be working till all these changes. It took three months, but the first client did make that change and that became that change. But that was in nineteen seventy five. So forward to twenty thirty. I'm not modeling anymore. I'm only doing in man cosmetics. A friend of mine contacts me by the name of the fan Hardison.
Speaker 2: I was just going to ask you about that, queen.
Speaker 4: And she said, I'm going to send you an article in the New York Times.
Speaker 3: This is twenty thirteen, and the article said.
Speaker 4: The blonde leading the blonde, And it was what was happening on the runways across Europe and now in the United States.
Speaker 3: There was a black out of black marbles. There was not one single black Mardel.
Speaker 4: Used to that season, right, but we're talking about now we're going to a three year period.
Speaker 3: I had no idea because I was not in the industry right right.
Speaker 4: And so that Anne I and ao A Cambell have sat together and looked through all the collections that there's and there was absence of black mantains across the board. We've never seen anything like and so we decided to write to.
Speaker 3: The CFDA and then we disp We wrote.
Speaker 4: To the to the equivalent in Paris, in London and in Milan. And what was really happening was the designers said that they were having too many shows per year that they have started hiring casting agents. And the casting agent decides he talks to the designer and they come up with the look of what the show is about. The casting agents decided to tell the modeling agents, we have not seen black models in this couple of coming seasons, so don't send us any black mans. And literally there was the absence of black mantins. And that's what it was called the blackout.
Speaker 2: That's the craziest thing I've ever heard.
Speaker 4: And so so what it what it really was transpired because I was I was trying to find out what what happened, How did this come about? And what was transpiring was that there was an influx of the Eastern.
Speaker 3: European marbles coming into the.
Speaker 4: Sea, and the big designers, specifically like Program, decided that they were head enough of the coat of personality of a marble like we don't want to show to be naomic amble at least.
Speaker 3: That Christie turned the names right, So.
Speaker 4: Democratized or the design and the focus is on the design.
Speaker 3: So they democratized that, and.
Speaker 4: So they have all these white Eastern European marbels, all white or skinny, and so there was no reason to have a black marble because it does not look this is.
Speaker 3: Not fit this category anymore.
Speaker 4: And once Brother started, every designer followed that out, and in within three four years.
Speaker 3: There was no model on them. And so that was the change that we were trying to make. And the change was instant, and it came actually from people like Product that.
Speaker 4: All of a sudden when they realized that what was going on, and they've corrected themselves. Not only that they started hiring black models on the runway, but the more importantly they started using black models in their advertisement.
Speaker 3: So there was a palpable change.
Speaker 4: And that's also what brought up the inclusivity part of the conversation that we.
Speaker 3: Were talking about.
Speaker 4: This was not saying that the designers are racist, but their actions and the actions of their casting agent is racist. Act specifically said, I mean, who's more busier than.
Speaker 3: Tom for no designers busier than Tom Ford. And he does his own custody. Of course he looks.
Speaker 4: He knows exactly who's in his STRATEGI you know, the black, Asian, the white.
Speaker 3: He knows that.
Speaker 4: So that's what we were trying to bring to the forefront, that you can't give the power to a casting agent to be able to say that on your behalf, because at the end of the day, is your name, the designer's name is being tainted.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'm like, I'm literally like my jaws to the floor because i was like in this whole world very heavily at that time, and I'm literally running through my head of like what was going on in that moment, And I feel like, right now we're in a beautiful time and modeling I do. I think we're finally, I think we're at a great place where I'm seeing so much diversity and everywhere, which I'm I'm personally loving so so much, and I think it's only taken what fifty years, but we're here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, beauty is beauty, you know.
Speaker 2: Of course I.
Speaker 4: Feel that the idea like a girl like preciously or actually great is not beautiful. It goes over my head. I'm like that mentality. It's a d class. It's old fashioned and young people. So that's what's so great, you know. I mean, I'm sure you'll see it in your voice. It's like they don't see that because those are things that are taught, yes, the family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't see that. They see it everybody.
Speaker 4: I mean, my daughter who's now twenty two has never called one of her friends white.
Speaker 3: Or black now.
Speaker 4: So it's that idea and the young generation are much aware and they are demystifying it and breaking it down that they are they're not going to be part of that. So that's what good news is that there is a hopefully young generation that comes up that's going to be the change of what we need.
Speaker 1: And I imagine I want to talk about bath Anne because bathanne Is She's one of my all time favorite people and I actually was fortunate enough to literally see her in the last month. I think I saw it in a event and I ran over and gave her the biggest hug, and she hadn't seen her in probably two years or more.
Speaker 2: And she is such a force.
Speaker 1: And I think that Bathanne is someone that I want my listeners to know about because she when I talk about game changers, game changing forces in an industry.
Speaker 2: I've known her my entire.
Speaker 1: Career and she always felt like this sort of like this mother figure in fashion and looking after everyone, to taking care of everybody. But she is just extraordinary and I feel like she's been a mentor in everything for you.
Speaker 3: I imagine, oh absolutely been my closest friends.
Speaker 4: Who was my maid of honor when I'm married my husband David. But I met her on my probably the first peak in New York, and I walked in into Stephen Burrough's studio and she was his assistant.
Speaker 3: And everybody assumed at that time.
Speaker 4: That I didn't speak a word of English, right, and so people will talk around me.
Speaker 1: And how many languages did you speak? Let me correct that notion five.
Speaker 2: Casual.
Speaker 4: So that Ann was there and they gave me the trust to try or put on the dress, and they gave me heels, and I've had a terrible time putting one.
Speaker 3: Heel on and trying to put the other one.
Speaker 1: While I was saying, because you're so tall, I have no problem with that.
Speaker 4: I know friends of mine sleep in AELs.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So no, he got on her knees to tie the shoes, to help me with the shoes, and I've never forgot that act of kindness and we've been friends since then.
Speaker 2: She's the greatest. So I have a question.
Speaker 1: So do you ever sit back and say, Okay, I've done I don't know ten thousand amazing things in my life.
Speaker 2: I'm good. I can just chill out now. Or do you just go what's next?
Speaker 1: I haven't even scratched the surface, Like when do you pat yourself on the back and say, okay, I can take a break.
Speaker 2: Because I don't.
Speaker 1: I'm guilty of never doing that, so I'm curious if you do.
Speaker 3: No, I don't bet.
Speaker 4: Myself in the back because I love to see how young girls who are getting into starting this this business, especially fashion business, how they are much aware of who came before them and who help them in this journey and who opened those doors that they are now easily walking into right, but then that they decide also then then it's upon them to move that needle forward or that we did right. So that to me, it's a comfort because you know that whatever you've done, you've touched some lives.
Speaker 3: But no, I think I'm better than you.
Speaker 4: I can just lie down and see I'm not doing anything.
Speaker 1: You And do you have any more specific like dreams where you're like, Okay, I'm not done, I still have to do this, or do you just say like life is going to be as it comes now?
Speaker 3: I think like is as it comes now because I've learned.
Speaker 4: For one thing if I've learned is that you know, man plans and God lefts.
Speaker 2: I lived by that. I just don't plan anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think if I was in my twenties, definitely I would be planning.
Speaker 4: But now I know things as they unfold themselves, you know what I mean, Things come and fold themselves. But I don't know. I mean, listen, I'm sixty seven, so anything is possible.
Speaker 3: One thing I'd like to do, which COVID stopped it.
Speaker 4: For me, was that I'd like to travel around the world in a lot of places that I have moved me so that.
Speaker 3: Is that's my life's journey.
Speaker 4: I really really want to go to all the places that.
Speaker 3: I have mod me.
Speaker 1: Well, you have earned that, and I could talk to you for another twenty six hours, but I'm not going to because I know you don't have that kind of time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm going to mention the Dobey series. It's Supreme Mardels. It's a six part dogy series and it's started yesterday and.
Speaker 3: It would be exclusive on YouTube every Monday.
Speaker 1: I have to say to everyone listening, you have to watch this. I have only seen bits of beginnings and I can tell you I cannot stop watching it. That the clothes, the Halston, and then Zandia and Tommy and listen. You are the Queen of Queen of Queen's. You have been such an advocate for women. I think that you have been such a game changer in this industry in so many ways. You know, as someone who has been in the industry is my entire adult life, you know that very often women cannot be that nice in this business. Certainly many were not to me, and I think many people honestly weren't. But I have to say, you have just always been the kindest classiest, amazing human being to me always as a friend, as men. You were literally the first one to hold my very first collaboration that I ever did in my whole life with Judith Leeber.
Speaker 4: Yes, and I have still have bad, bad but also I have in my artifives and Rachel Zhol's all taxedus, all of your taxedos I had, like white belvets.
Speaker 3: I have all.
Speaker 2: I love you. I love you.
Speaker 1: I can't I can't ever thank you enough for your support because I think you know better than anybody that when you're a designer, especially starting out, when you see someone in your clothes, there's just really nothing like it when it's emon. I'm not going to lie, it's a bit of a surreal moment. But I do love you madly.
Speaker 2: Imon.
Speaker 1: I think you because you've just made such a profound impact on me, on so many people in the industry, on so many young women coming up in it who are lost, and you have, like you said, open the door for so many. And also I just want to say, I mean you were amused to Celauran like can we just close on that moment? And Terry Buglaire, thank you, Loving my dream, my friend, living my Dream. If you want more climbing and hails content, follow me on at Rachel Zo and at Climbing in hals pod on Instagram for more updates on upcoming guests, episodes, and of course, all things cure Ator