Speaker 1: Do you ever scroll through social media only to find yourself bombarded by bad news, hot takes, mommy bloggers, influencers and picture perfect families or professionals who are honored yet also humbled to share more great news about their career. It's hard to not get wrapped up in how everyone else is doing, But what about you? How are you feeling? Is there anything you'd like to change? And what are you doing to change it? At Cerebral, we believe making time for your mental health is key to your overall well being. That's why we make it easier than ever to access therapy and doctor prescribed medication tailored to work for you. And the best part, Cerebral offers in network care so you can focus on feeling better without worrying about cost. Seventy two percent of people say they felt better in just twelve weeks, So take the first step today. Visit Cerebral dot com slash podcast to see how affordable and accessible mental health care can be with insurance. Cerebral make time for mind time.
Speaker 2: If you have your own story of being in a cult or a high control group.
Speaker 3: Or if you've had experience with manipulation or abuse of power that you'd like to share.
Speaker 2: Leave us a message on our hotline number at three four seven eight six trust.
Speaker 3: That's three four seven eight six eight seven eight seven eight.
Speaker 2: Or showed us an email at trustmepod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 4: Trust me, Trust me.
Speaker 5: I'm like a swat person. I've never lived.
Speaker 3: To you, I never If you think that one person has all the answers, don't.
Speaker 6: Welcome to trust me.
Speaker 3: The podcast about cult, extreme belief and manipulation from two obsessors have actually experienced it.
Speaker 6: I am low La Blanc.
Speaker 4: And I'm Megan Elizabeth.
Speaker 6: And obsessors, we actually are this time. This one's real. Today.
Speaker 3: Our guest is Maggie Rowe, former writer on Arrested Development and author of Sin Bravely, a book about her experiences with moral scrupulosity or sin focused OCD.
Speaker 6: So we do talk a lot about OCD on this show.
Speaker 3: And here's a guest who wrote an entire book about growing up with religious obsessions. She's going to tell us about her first obsessions about what was and was not sin, how she started to analyze the Bible with a critical mind to try to understand how to avoid hell, and how her parents tried to help but her church leaders didn't understand OCD and made it worse.
Speaker 4: It might not sound like it, but this book is extremely funny. It's very interview I we'll also talk about the compulsion she would engage in to make sure she was being the right amount of righteous, how she checked herself into a treatment facility for Christians, the incorrect diagnosis of bolimia she received, and how she finally got diagnosed with moral scrupulosity and began getting the treatment she actually needed.
Speaker 3: Hell, yeah, Maggie is so funny, and she was so funny when we weren't recording. If you guys had heard this story about her getting caught in her front gate as it was moving, it's.
Speaker 4: Like the reverse Bridesmaids, Like when in the beginning of Bridesmaids when she gets caught on top of the gate. Maggie got caught under under her gate trying to get on the podcast. So she like loves something outside and yeah, she's gold.
Speaker 2: So to have somebody who's written and worked and produced and arrested development one of my favorite shows ever. And then also had this thing like when she released the book, I remember reading it and being like, this is the closest I've ever related to somebody about obsessing about how and it's fucking funny.
Speaker 3: Hmmm, yeah, it is super funny before we get into it, and you can hear how funny it is.
Speaker 4: With your own two ears, or I.
Speaker 6: Mean, you know, don't set their expectations too high.
Speaker 3: You can hear what it is that we're talking about. Megan, what's your cultiest thing of the weekly?
Speaker 4: Okay, there's a big case in Australia. A girl just died because she's eight years old because this faith based mission was like, we're gonna pray her diabetes away, and they're all going to jail. It's getting like prosecuted right now. But I'm not going to choose that one. Okay, what I'm going to choose, that's just like I'm just letting you guys know that's happening. I'm going to choose this new exercise class that I joined. It's kind of ballet based, right, I've been doing it for a million years. I took a long break, I came back and I really love it. But I realized the other day how baked in unwritten rules are because there was a girl in the class who wasn't behaving like you're supposed to. For example, when we would do something really hard like auja, oh my gosh, this suck.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 4: Just being loud and you're not supposed to make a peep in this class, And I was like, oh, wow, that's so interesting, Like the slightest variation from expected behavior is so affronting, even in something as stupid as an exercise class. So, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It just reminded me that it's okay to make noises and classes that are hard. I don't need to I don't need to like subscribe so diligently to this unwritten rule. And maybe next time I'll be like, shit, this is hard, and you know, yeah, break the mold.
Speaker 6: Right the old megan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe I will. Maybe I will. So anyway, that's mine, what about you? What's yours?
Speaker 3: Well, before I say mine, I like the idea that it would be like, okay, so in this episode, since we're talking so much about OCD, I like the idea that, like we need to sort of build up our tolerance to defying group expectations. Yeah, and that seems like such a safe, nice way to like do a little exposure.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I like it.
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, okay, So what do you think I should do just like crack a joke.
Speaker 6: Yeah, or just be like.
Speaker 2: Whoa, that was hard, but yeah, I want to do that so great, love it.
Speaker 4: I'll keep y'all updated.
Speaker 3: I think we should all look for ways and maybe this is a thing I don't know. I like it to ways, to find small little ways to defy the pressures that.
Speaker 6: We feel from a group to conform.
Speaker 3: I think that would be a really interesting exercise.
Speaker 4: Oh god, I'm like pre embarrassed for myself, but I'm gonna do it. Okay, what's yours, Lola? What's yours?
Speaker 2: Um?
Speaker 3: You know, it's always social media, if I like, when is it not social media? I mean, it's the country, it's the country, and it's social media.
Speaker 6: And this week I posted on.
Speaker 3: Social media about the country shocking, and I was actually talking about how indoctrinated groups will tell their followers that everybody else is indoctrinated, and it can become very confusing when you're trying to decilearn like who's really in the cult and who isn't, because everyone is telling their group that the other people are indoctrinated. Just because you are being told that another group is indoctrinated, doesn't mean that yours isn't right, right, So it can be it can be so confusing.
Speaker 6: And so what I what I focused on in the in the video.
Speaker 3: Was like you did a video, I did a video, And what I focused on in my video about that was the control of information and the silencing of critique and punishing journalists and that kind of thing. And those points are points that I definitely want to make. But what was interesting about it, which is like sort of a weird takeaway, but.
Speaker 6: Was that I talked really fast.
Speaker 3: In the beginning of the video to like I mean, I just was like feeling some kind of way, and I was like, I'm just gonna talk fast in this one and see what happens. And I did so much better than all of my other normal, normal pace talking.
Speaker 6: And I and I just find that curious. I find that interesting.
Speaker 3: It's it's like everybody's arguing on this fucking video. I wonder if some of it is that when you talk fast and loud, you seem confident, and so people want to listen and like, not that I am trying to become like a cult leader of any kind.
Speaker 6: I am just trying not at all.
Speaker 3: Definitely, but like there, it is difficult to cut through on social media, so like you know, you look for like ways to do that. And it made me think about the other people who've blown up on social media and like the way that they're literally just just the their tone and the way that they're talking about what they're talking about. It seems like it can be almost more important than the content itself. So I just thought that was an interesting little window into like cutting through the noise online.
Speaker 7: It's so scary.
Speaker 6: It's so scary.
Speaker 3: Because also I don't want to talk that fast in order to make my points.
Speaker 6: I can't keep that up.
Speaker 3: Like I did, go to auctioneer school as a kid, like I did, I can do it, but I don't.
Speaker 4: Think can we bring your ventriloquism into the into the mix as well? We need your auctioneering you're during trilloquism, and then finally the arc will be complete.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, maybe that's the secret to my to go viral.
Speaker 4: I think it might be well, interesting points, interesting points. I'm excited to see how many more videos you do like this and if you become the auctioneer girl, hell.
Speaker 6: Ya go on?
Speaker 4: All right? Stoph we talk to Maggie.
Speaker 7: Let's do it.
Speaker 6: When is the last time you saw your doctor?
Speaker 4: We know you spend your free time looking up your symptoms.
Speaker 3: And yes, we also know that finding the right doctor can be daunting.
Speaker 4: So let's talk about ZocDoc, the free app and website where you can search and compare high quality in network doctors and click to instantly book an appointment.
Speaker 3: Okay, I literally actually have booked two different appointments this week, one with a guy iecologists and one with the dermatologists, and it was so easy to see the reviews and pick a time.
Speaker 4: You can book in network appointments with more than one hundred thousand doctors across every specialty.
Speaker 3: From mental health to dental health, primary care to urgent care and more.
Speaker 4: They have so many filters from your insurance to your location, to your medical needs to verified patient reviews.
Speaker 3: Once you find the right doctor, you can see their actual appointment openings, choose a time slot that works for you, and click to instantly book a visit.
Speaker 4: Appointments made through ZocDoc also happened fast, typically within just twenty four to seventy two hours of booking. You can even score same day appointments.
Speaker 3: Stop putting off those doctor's appointments and go to ZocDoc dot com slash trust me to find and instantly book a top rated doctor today.
Speaker 4: That's zoc dooc dot com slash trust.
Speaker 6: Me, ZocDoc dot com slash trust me.
Speaker 8: Work management platforms ugh andless onboarding, iue, bottlenecks, admin quests. But what if things were different?
Speaker 1: We love enos.
Speaker 8: Monday dot com is different. No lengthy onboarding, beautiful reports in minutes, custom workflows you can build on your own, easy to use, prompt free AI.
Speaker 5: Huh.
Speaker 8: Turns out you can level work management platform Monday dot com the first work platform you'll love to use.
Speaker 1: Do you ever scroll through social media only to find yourself bombarded by bad news, hot takes, mommy bloggers, influencers and picture perfect families or professionals who are honored yet also humbled to share more great news about their career. It's hard to not get wrapped up in how everyone else is doing. But what about you? How are you feeling? Is there anything you'd like to change and what are you doing to change it? At Cerebral, we believe making time for your mental health is key to your overall well being. That's why we make it easier than ever to access therapy and doctor prescribed medication. Taylored to work for you. You and the best part, Cerebral offers in network care so you can focus on feeling better without worrying about cost. Seventy two percent of people say they felt better in just twelve weeks. So take the first step today. Visit Cerebral dot com slash podcast to see how affordable and accessible mental health care can be with insurance. Cerebral make time for mine time.
Speaker 6: Welcome Maggie Rowe to trust me. Thanks for joining us today. So happy to be here, so happy to have you. Megan is obsessed.
Speaker 7: With you completely.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: This book is one of my favorites. It really helped me unwind a lot of my own trauma. And Maggie risked her life by being here today. She almost got killed by her gate.
Speaker 3: Nobody knows what we mean, but trust me, it was hilarious.
Speaker 6: Maggie.
Speaker 3: So you wrote a book called Sin Bravely, and that's your story in this book is what we're going to talk about today. I know Megan and I both resonated so much with it because of our own you know, Megan's particular fear of hell in my particular just obsessive thinking. So can you just start by telling us what was the church that your family attended when you were growing up.
Speaker 5: The church that I attended was fairly moderate. Actually it was a Baptist church, oddly a Southern Baptist church in the Midwest. The church was fairly moderate. But the Christian camps and the overall message, even if it wasn't dwelt on that you have to say this very specific prayer, and you have to say it with a very specific sort of sincerity and commitment, or it doesn't work.
Speaker 6: It's going to give me hives just thinking about it.
Speaker 5: I can't And there's no certificate that comes in the mail. The most important thing that could ever even conceivably matter, the most important thing, and you have no confirmation whether your prayer.
Speaker 2: Worked, whether you're spending eternity in flames or you're in heaven.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's the matter at hand.
Speaker 2: For a lot of people who are children, even today, it's a very strange little thing that we teach kids about.
Speaker 3: Your book, you do such a great job of illustrating how. And we'll get into more of these specifics but just generally, like how people in the churches and church camps and communities that you were a part of would just kind of respond to your questions with a thought terminating cliche like well, you're just supposed to have faith or just let accept Jesus. But when you have a brain like yours or mine or megans, it's going to be like, but how do you know specifically how many times do you say?
Speaker 6: What inflection do you you know?
Speaker 3: Like, you do such a good job of illustrating how not everybody is so comfortable feels that certainty so immediately.
Speaker 5: And here's the thing, here's what I was told sometimes that was just the killer was when I was told, well, if you were really a Christian, the Holy Spirit would convict you of your salvation, which was like, oho, So the fact that I'm scared of this is an indictment. It's an indication that it did not take like that little loop that that sets off. Ooh, that's a nasty one.
Speaker 6: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: So what was the first thing that your child brain began to sort of fixate on.
Speaker 5: As soon as I said to that prayer, I was five years old, and I remember I said it a bunch of times. That first night, there was a Sunday school class where they had described the notion of eternity as they were defining it. And then imagine the worst thing you could ever imagine happening. And I imagined being separated from my parents because I had done something wrong. I had poisoned that Like, I just imagined a horrible thing, and then it continuing. I was horrified, and I was like, Okay, I gotta say this.
Speaker 7: Prayer, and what's the prayer?
Speaker 6: Yeah, what is the prayer?
Speaker 5: Oh Lord Jesus, I accept you into my heart as my personal savior. I repent for all of my sins and resolve to sin no more.
Speaker 6: Oh wow, that's a big resolution.
Speaker 7: As a five year old, that's hard.
Speaker 5: And of course as an adult, I can think, well, I can resolve to sin no more, but of course I have the realistic expectation that that's an impossibility. But a child's brain and what do I really resolve to sin no more? And then there was the concept of the deliberate sin, which was a real kicker, and that was the idea that if you were truly a Christian, you would not deliberately sin with forethought. You could mess up. You could, you know, bump your knee and go shit and go oh oh, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. That was unconscious. You could do something reflexively, but if you were really a Christian, you would not go, I am going to lie in this situation. Like I remember one when I was a kid that I just spun out about we had I was like maybe eight, and we had guests over and I needed to go to the bathroom and I was embarrased for some reason. You know, it was just to get like, so I just said, I'm just gonna go wash my hands.
Speaker 4: But like, but you secretly peede, yes.
Speaker 5: Secretly this child that's like, I'm just going to wash my hands. But afterwards I was like, m I knew ahead of time that I was going to lie, and I did lie. And a true Christian, someone for whom that prayer worked, would not deliberately send and so it wasn't here Like when I try to explain to people my particular headloop of this particular type of evangelicalism, it's not that the sin causes you to be punished. It's that the sin is an indication that the grace has not worked, and so you will be punished.
Speaker 6: That hurts my brain.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the sin is not an indication that you will be punished. The sin is an indication that you have not been saved.
Speaker 5: You have not been saved. It's not that the sin causes the it's like because you're free and good, but if it really worked, you wouldn't be doing it.
Speaker 3: So when you're saved, you commit no sin is the idea, no deliberate, No deliberates, So you could do a manslaughter sin, but.
Speaker 2: Not absolutely crime of passion. Fine, absolutely lying about being wrong. Yes, yes, you know one of the things that I got super caught in. And I don't know what the three of us have common that made this something for us. But like I remember being really little, like three even, and they would always say, you know, a spirit like a child. You have to have a spirit like a child. That's the most Christian thing that Jesus loves. And I'd be like, well, I'm kind of a dick, so I must not be doing this child thing right because I'm selfish and I'm like, you know, I want my toys and all that shit. So like from the jump, I was already like, oh no, I'm not doing it right.
Speaker 7: I'm not even being a child right totally.
Speaker 5: That picture of like let the children come unto me and Jesus with all of these innocent, bright seeming children, there's a you know, I know shame is such a buzzword these days, but I do feel like that original sin thing and not measuring up to have morality like that as a child is a real as opposed to the Buddhist notion that we're naturally good, that we have this natural Buddha nature and it gets sullied and cramped and misshapen. But I just think that intrinsic orientation makes a big difference.
Speaker 6: That's interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what did your parents and your church leaders say when you brought up these thoughts to them?
Speaker 5: So my parents were wonderful in the sense that they said, you are saved, you are saved, you said it right, you did it right, You're fine, let it go, let it go, And that was kind of all they could do other than rejecting the notion altogether. Right, But even with their reassurances, I was like shit. I was like, my parents have been wrong about things all the time. I have seen, you know, people are wrong. They just haven't thought this through, like I have and I had this I remember this Ryri study Bible that I had that had four different translations of the verses in one so it was in four different columns, and so I would just read through. You could go to Hell, you know, look in Hell in the index, and then I would just read all of the verses, and I'd read the four different translations, and you know, one would be horrifying, and one would be like like the living Bible would have something, you know a little, but I would and then I would read the commentary comparing the four different and try to decipher what the odds are because there were so many factors of that prayer.
Speaker 7: You sound like a really chill middle schooler.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I knew how to party in a way.
Speaker 3: You're OCD taught your really good critical thinking skills though, because yeah, like examining the contradictions between everything, some of the thoughts that you describe yourself having as a kid, I'm like, that is so intelligent, even though it is obsessive and like probably was deeply uncomfortable and painful, very intelligent thoughts and analysis.
Speaker 5: Like I remember, you know, like one concept that was totally beyond well, it's beyond everybody. But the idea I remember reading in these translations about the word for eternity, what the Greek word was for it. It might have been chiros, but but they one translation would be like everlasting goes on and on and on. One would be like it shatters time, it's beyond time. One would be like, you know, it was all these ways to understand the nuances of the Greek word that eternity rose from, and like going, oh, I hope it's the one that chatters time. Please. I would feel like such gratitude to whatever that, you know, the new international version. I would be like, but then I would look, and then another another word for eternity would be used in another you know, it would just yeah.
Speaker 3: Did your parents? Did anyone in your family have OCD? Like maybe undiagnosed? Did it seem like it.
Speaker 5: My grandmother who ended up having electroshock therapy and then not being able to function again, I believe had different She had different psychological struggles, but one of them I think was OCD, And so the fear of what happened to her was an ever present and she was the one. She was the party girl. She smoked and wore red lips and perfume, and she had an affair. My dad was the product of an affair, you know, so she was you know what I wanted to be. Yeah, so cool then, but then she ended up living with us, you know, sitting in a room in a rocking chair, looking at a television that was not turned on. So I think, you know, just the way a child's brain kind of computes. Nobody ever told me that she was punished for her lifestyle, but I believe that was in.
Speaker 3: My head, right right, I mean, yes, how could it not be. She was sort of the she represented all the things that you were not supposed to be but that you were drawn to, but you felt like it was a sin and then bam, like that happens to her. In that belief system, I think it'd be hard to interpret it differently, honestly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you ever roll through social media only to find yourself bombarded by bad news? Hot takes, mommy bloggers, influencers and picture perfect families or professionals who are honored yet also humbled to share more great news about their career. It's hard to not get wrapped up in how everyone else is doing, But what about you? How are you feeling, Is there anything you'd like to change and what are you doing to change it? At Cerebral, we believe making time for your mental health is key to your overall well being. That's why we make it easier than ever to access therapy and doctor prescribed medication tailored to work for you. And the best part, Cerebral offers in network care so you can focus on feeling better without worrying about cost. Seventy two percent of people say they felt better in just twelve weeks. So take the first step today visit Cerebral dot com slash podcast to see how affordable and accessible mental health care can be with insurance. Cerebral make time for mind time.
Speaker 3: What were some of the like compulsions that you were doing before grace point? What were some of the compulsions that you found yourself doing in your everyday life.
Speaker 5: So I had some basic OCD compulsions like curling iron and checking the curling iron a million times, you know, you know, needing to have proof throughout the day that I had unplugged it. So I'd make a little mark with the prong so I could look at it later on. But then I would think, wait, did I do the prong and then replug in the curling ire. So why would I those kind of garden variety ones. Those I could manage, I mean not managed. But the ones that killed me was when it was internal, and it was confessing the sins, trying to sincerely confess sins, trying to love the Lord your God with all of your heart above all things. And the more I was required to do that, the more I hated and resent it. Like love, what does that even mean? The fact that that we were instructed and commanded to love a thing that is a spontaneous response from gratitude. To prescribe it with a punishment attached to it is such a mind screw. It's such a mind screw. So I was trying so hard to love God.
Speaker 6: I'm loving you, I love you, I swear trying to love you, and I feel it.
Speaker 5: And then I would have Oh, there were thoughts that I would have that were just even now. It just sent a shudder through me. Is I would have a thought like God, we spend all of this time imagining how hard it is for Jesus to be on the cross for three days. This still is in my body. I'm still like but I would think he was on the cross for three days. People have unbelievable suffering that goes on for people are in jails and they're orchard people lose their child. You know, they're so much suffering. We're how to feel bored for three days.
Speaker 2: This is one of the only conversations I ever had with my father where he was like saying good night to me one night and I would stay up all night six am thinking about how and how it was inevitable and being scared. And I just said to him, like, I don't think Jesus dying was that big of a deal, Like I would have done the same thing if it saved everybody. And I'm an asshole, so like I don't understand. And he was like, that's so funny, and he said, I totally understand what you mean, shocking, And he was like, what was so hard about it was that Jesus was had to be without God for those you know, days, And I was.
Speaker 7: Like, isn't he God?
Speaker 2: I'm so confused And it's like I have math homework to be doing, you know what I mean, Like I have shit to do?
Speaker 7: Like what am I doing?
Speaker 5: Oh my god? This makes me so happy?
Speaker 6: To hear you say that, Yes, totally.
Speaker 5: I got the exact same answer. Well, he went from the height of eternal bliss into uh separation from himself God.
Speaker 3: And that's worse than years of torture and isolation that a human would experience.
Speaker 5: Right, that's that's nothing. Three days and we're supposed to go.
Speaker 7: And you know you're going to heaven forever after.
Speaker 3: It, Like I would one wants to do it, we would all do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love that. That's what just made me so happy. Listen, three days I would do it, and I'm an.
Speaker 3: Assholes, like a whole world for all eternity would be saved.
Speaker 7: You have to.
Speaker 2: And even he didn't want to do it, he was like do I have to? And that was like, yeah, you have to, And I was like, okay, fying, I totally get how But then those those I would get really angry. How dare God send everybody I know to hell? Because only the people in my religion are going to heaven? I hate you God, And then this other side of my brain would clamp down and be like, no, I don't I love you God, don't see me to Hell.
Speaker 7: I'm just kidding, Like, who is that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Totally, totally. It's that vicious cycle of I'm indicted by my sympathy really too with that, I mean I was scared for myself obviously, but even like this idea of God, how could you do this to everyone and then love them? Love them, love.
Speaker 3: Them like like as in like how could people be not saved who are in other religions?
Speaker 5: Yeah? That killed me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember asking about that as a kid too, and I Mormon's had a better answer to it than I.
Speaker 6: Think general Christian churches.
Speaker 7: What's their an?
Speaker 3: The answer was, well, we do baptisms for the dead so they get the chance to be exposed to the true Church in the afterlife. And that's why we do baptisms for the dead for all people who've ever lived that we can register.
Speaker 5: You know that all of the answers and like that one had to do with choice, they had to do with well, you had the choice. But the deeper thing that I think I intuited as a child is all of our choices are based on our circumstances. We choose things because of our genetics and our environment.
Speaker 3: Again, how did you know this at such a young age?
Speaker 6: This is crazy?
Speaker 5: Well, I think I just like it's all like I felt like, Oh, I remember watching a thing about Jeffrey Dahmer because that was around where I grew up in Chicago. That was Milwaukee. It was on the news a lot, and they talked about he had been dropped on his head and I as a child, and there they were talking about a number of high percentage of serial killers have some head trauma as an infant, and it felt like, whoa, so all of the choices that he made that could have come So aren't we all a product of all of these different things that happened to us? Are we better than Jeffrey Dahmer? I wasn't dropped on my head?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean this is my current worldview. But for a child within Christianity at a young age to understand that is really impressive. I also have to ask you about the T shirts because I was.
Speaker 6: Absolutely losing my mind. Feel the force, Jesus, Jesus, what was the sharp? Please explain?
Speaker 5: Okay? The thing that it had two different thoughts, So I think it was like the Christian bookstore, the Agape bookstore was trying to make things hit. They were trying to make things so it said and like these black letters feel the Force, and then underneath it just said Jesus.
Speaker 7: And it was a shirt.
Speaker 5: It was a T shirt. And the idea was this was how you could bring souls to Jesus by wearing something that indicated that you were a Christian and then behaving so well that everyone would go, hmmm, that's interesting. What is this Christianity thing? As if kids are responding to some moral secrity that they're like, oh, she was behaving in line with her morals. Give me some of that. But I figured if I was doing that that I didn't have to do the horrible direct witness, which was where you went up directly to somebody and shared your faith, often through a Bible verse that you cleverly would incorporate into conversation. Like I remember on the on a plane, they're, oh, if anytime you sat next to a stranger, that was an opportunity to witness.
Speaker 6: So oh no, not on a plane a five hour flight.
Speaker 5: Oh God, imagine having having this girl next to you and saying, do you have a best friend? And then whatever they answered, I do. His name is Jesus, and he never lets me down. I know best friends let you down, but Jesus is there.
Speaker 8: Forever.
Speaker 3: So you were trying to avoid this direct witnessing because it was obviously embarrassing the worst by choosing a T shirt to do silent witnessing, which is also very embarrassing. It was, and yes, my favorite thing though was that first you were obsessing about whether you should or shouldn't get it because it would like mean something about you if you didn't get it out of fear of embarrassment.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 6: And then it led you to buy even more embarrassing T shirts on purpose. Please explain.
Speaker 5: Well, I felt a dinge of embarrassment and I was like, oh shit, that means I'm embarrassed. I've got to prove to God that I'm not embarrassed, so I'll get a more embarrassing T shirt and my you know, I thought it would prove to God if I just kept doing increasing levels of horrible things to wear. There was what was one, Oh you think Duran Duran Rocks tried Jesus. It was like, it's like at the height of Duran Duran when everyone had like one of the four guys that they had a crush on.
Speaker 2: Me, making the like connon is just so and it sounds like it became like a compulsion, like if I don't wear this, then I'm super fact. So the shirt is not the coolest thing, but I absolutely have to wear it because I don't want to wear it.
Speaker 5: Exactly.
Speaker 3: The bad feeling means I'm being faithful, right exactly, I mean when in Barratt when like, it means you're righteous to do a thing you don't want to do. It just is a recipe for a bad time, a very bad time that feels right.
Speaker 5: And love God for it. At the end of it, do the thing you don't want to do and then love them for wanting you to do.
Speaker 6: It, whatever that means.
Speaker 2: And if you get mad, that's bad. So don't let yourself get mad that he's making you do this.
Speaker 6: Again, get an even more embarrassing T shirt.
Speaker 5: Or start directly witnessing, right. But I eventually moved on to pushing myself to do the direct witness because I'm like, I'm I'm embarrassed to do it. God's going to see that I'm embarrassed. I got to do it so I would witness to my friends.
Speaker 3: What's so funny is that you were in a way doing like the Christian version of exposure therapy, right, because you're doing the thing you.
Speaker 6: Don't want to do that you're.
Speaker 3: Afraid of doing to sensitize yourself to it.
Speaker 2: Except it's backwards, yeah yeah, making you more obsessive.
Speaker 5: Right right, because exposure therapy. Well, wait, would exposure therapy be not doing it and tolerating the discomfort?
Speaker 6: No, it would, it would, But this does feel.
Speaker 5: Like exposure therapy, so what is it?
Speaker 3: It's tolerating well, because you're personal your actual underlying fear, your core fee underneath that is like of going to hell, or of like not being faithful, So you're acting on a compulsion. But outwardly, oh, it could look like the fear is of wearing the shirts, so you go toward that feeling. But because your core fear is not actually about the shirt, it's about right.
Speaker 5: Right right, I'm with you.
Speaker 1: Do you ever scroll through social media only to find yourself bombarded by bad news, hot takes, mommy bloggers, influencers and picture perfect families or professionals who are honored yet also humbled to share more great news about their career. It's hard to not get wrapped up in how everyone else is doing. But what about you? How are you feeling, Is there anything you'd like to change and what are you doing to change it? At Cerebral, we believe making time for your mental health is key to your overall well being. That's why we make it easier than ever to access therapy and doctor prescribed medication Taylor to work for you, and the best part, Cerebral offers in network care so you can focus on feeling better without worrying about cost. Seventy two percent of people say they felt better in just twelve weeks, So take the first step today. Visit Cerebral dot com slash podcast to see how affordable and accessible mental health care can be with insurance. Cerebral make time for mine time.
Speaker 3: You wrote about like a pastor who you kind of voiced your doubts too, and he literally just told you to not feel the way you feel and that God sees and knows everything that we think. I can't imagine that helped UH very much.
Speaker 5: It was I remember it as being one of the worst days of my life because it took some courage to tell him that, UH. And he basically said that my feelings were an indication that I was not saved. That the Holy Spirit, if you are saved comes in and assures you of your salvation. So it was basically check your heart and then what in the world I was supposed to do with that? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, having any doubt means you are inherently your fears are true basically, Yeah, because you had.
Speaker 5: Them, because I had them.
Speaker 7: Yeah it sucks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I still I still care, Like if you were to like anger that I hold up, you know, dry to lego of. But that moment, I felt like he really could have helped me. And I wish pastors across the world would have more of an awareness even if you're you know, obviously I think there are problems with the theology itself, but even within the theology, if pastors were aware of OCD, if they were aware of scrupulosity, I mean, if they were aware of the horror of their notion of hell. But yeah, I would. I wish there was more education in the clergy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how did it get to the point where you decided that you needed to go into a facility to be treated for your sinful thoughts?
Speaker 5: It was such a cinematic moment when I think back on it now. So I was in college, I had started having sex with my boyfriend. But I justified it in my mind by saying, we're married in God's eyes because we're planning on being together forever. But I still felt the guilt. I pushed it down. I started I had been drinking, which you know, it was like, you can drink, don't do it, not too intoxication. And then it was like, well, anyway, all my fears of what I was doing, that I was straying, that I was backsliding, that word backsliding. I pushed it down, and then I went to see this art house movie, Akira Kira SAWA's Dreams. It has nothing on the surface to do with the afterlife, but apparently he created the film as an evocation of fantasies of the afterlife. Who would have known.
Speaker 7: It's a girl unconscious, my unconscious.
Speaker 5: It's so like when people say the power of art, like boy, this dude nailed it. But it's a girl running through a garden. It's a boy under a cherry blossom tree that becomes a spirit. It's all these surreal images. And then it's these hikers walking in a snowstorm and they gradually gets colder and colder, and they gradually freeze to death. And I have this thought of did they accept Jesus as their personal savior? And my body just went a flame with anxiety, and I was like, I've backslid. I've backslid. I didn't ever or I never really meant it in the first place. I never was saved. I'm never saved. And I heard this was the cinematic part. Is I heard a scream. I heard a scream in the theater, and then I realized it was coming from my own mouth, and I stumbled out of the theater without my code. It was the middle of winter in Ithaca, New York, and I was just out in this snow, rather similar to the people that had just gotten frozen in the snowstorm. And I can feel it in my body now. Is. I was like, I knew it. I was like, my life's never going to be the same. I'm like everything's changing. And I stopped having sex with my boyfriend. I stopped drinking, I stopped swearing. I started reading books that I wasn't I started doing Bible study. I was like, I got to get back on the right path. And I was like no, no, And I was just like, you know, I couldn't need I was vomiting and I was very very ill, and I called my parents, who really came through for me. They found I mean, there were problems with the facility that I went to, but it's it's what I needed. I was like, I need help, and I don't need once a week therapy. I need help, and I can't go to a secular facility because they'll be like, hell's not real, get over it. I'm like, I need I need to work with it. So they found me a place. It was in Wheaton, Illinois, which is the greatest number of churches which is per capita in the United States, and so they just have tons of different programs and the place that I went to. The thing that I am grateful for two for them to this day is everybody there said you were saved, you were okay. If they had not done that, I don't know. I don't know what would have happened to me. They at least gave me that they certainly didn't object to the notion of it. I mean that was that they never would have done that. But they medicated me, which I needed. I was able to get my appetite back. We talked about OCD. I learned about scrupulosity. I learned that Martin Luther suffered from it. And then I had one therapist who is just really saved the day for me and told me about Martin Luther's doctrine of pecaphor de tay, which is the brave sin, and it is sin bravely in order to know the forgiveness of God. And he essentially told me this was exposure therapy exactly as he said, the most important thing is your relationship with God, and you are destroying it by being worried about being punished or that you're not saved. You need to do all of the sins that you want to do and not worry about repercussions.
Speaker 3: I want to know more about the period right before this movie theater incident, like were you having panic attacks?
Speaker 6: Like what was going on?
Speaker 3: No, it just like something just got triggered by that movie and that thought in there.
Speaker 7: Yeah wow wow, Yeah.
Speaker 5: I had panic attacks constantly after that before I think I just had a I think there was an underlying annxiety that was brewing because I was suppressing it. But no, I was really happy. I was happy I had gotten engaged to my boyfriend. I was you know, I was happy, and then it broke just in a second. So a strange situation for a nineteen year old college kid. I was by far the youngest person there. I was grateful to have some form of care. The medication did really help. And then I had a best friend there was She was my buddy just from day one, and she was I think she was probably thirty five. She seems so old at the time, such an adult to be friends with a thirty five year old, but she was so kind to me. And later on in my journey, when I started picturing God as a female, that was one of the steps that I took along my way, I would picture her as part of that image because her attitude towards me and my suffering was it really it really helped. It really helped me in the experience. I think she facilitated facilitated my change in some ways.
Speaker 3: You write about this amusing quotation marks therapist Bethany, who kept pushing this narrative on, like she wouldn't listen to anything you were saying, basically and decided you were a boleamic and it just not. I mean, I wanted to watch them movie of your book and hate her character so much you know, can you just talk a little bit about her role versus.
Speaker 6: Like having a friend and like just the difference between.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So, Bethany was the main therapist that I worked with, and I felt like I could see her textbook in therapist school that she was working from when she talked to me, Like I could almost see her eyes go off and go on page twelve, young women who are throwing up. But I kept telling her about my experience, and she had decided what was going on with me. Certainly a lot of nineteen year old young women are worried about their body image issues, and I really didn't. I was so skinny, I wasn't eating and I was throwing up. And she felt that the main problem was not the theology, but was body image issues. And it just wasn't true.
Speaker 2: The theology was what was making you throw up because it was so stressful.
Speaker 5: Yes, I just couldn't keep food in my stomach. But the more that I said, look, I am not worried about being fat, she was like, well, this seems to be a really loaded topic for you. Denial, denial, denial. You seem to be getting very upset, right, you know, And she had a full length mirror that she brought in at one point, you know, she was like, tell me what you see? It like, I don't want to look in a mirror. There you go, you don't want to look in a mirror.
Speaker 6: Oh there?
Speaker 5: And I'm like, I didn't.
Speaker 3: But you look up confirmation bias in the dictionary just a picture of her.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So I kept and I just felt like she didn't understand the would I would tell her even if I am saved, I'm like, what about my boyfriend, what about my fiance? What you know? And she would say, well, we all have a choice, and I was, but the choices that we make are conditioned by all these other things. We can't just say he has a choice. That doesn't. But so, what really helped me was this other doctor who told me about the notion of sin bravely because he under he understood what I was saying, and he said, yes, that is difficult. Now he didn't say, I mean I wish he had gone as far as good. This is a scare tactic from the Middle Ages that is crippling children all across the country. It's not true. It's not true, young lady. You know, I wish she could have said something like that, but he he did a lot.
Speaker 7: Better than Bethany.
Speaker 5: Than Bethany.
Speaker 3: There's a scene in your book of you in the support group at this place, which, by the way, the characters with what characters the.
Speaker 6: People in the group were.
Speaker 3: But there's a man named Mickey who sort of like feverishly shouts that all you have to do is accept Jesus into your heart. And your response is that you've done that ten thousand times and you just can't be one hundred percent sure you got it right, which is just like eat a nutshell. I'm like, yes, that is, that is what OCD is.
Speaker 5: That's what OCD is. That's and it's such fertile ground for OCD to grow in.
Speaker 6: Yes, talk more about that.
Speaker 5: I feel like probably whatever predisposition I have towards OCD, in whatever environment I was raised in, it would have come out in some way or another, is my guess. But it would not have grown into the months stracity. It would not have crippled my psyche for so many years without this fundamentalist thinking, without the notion of hell, like like once I did behavioral cognitive behavioral therapy with the curling iron thing.
Speaker 2: Yet you figure it out, Like seeing if your door is locked forty thousand times a night is much different than wondering about eternity and your soul being on fire forever.
Speaker 7: It's just two different things.
Speaker 3: Right, Accepting uncertainty about whether something was plugged in versus accepting uncertainty about whether you are eternally damned and will literally burn forever and never see your family again.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm not I don't.
Speaker 3: I do not want to diminish how painful the first kind is, because I know people who struggle with that, and it's very, very painful.
Speaker 6: They're afraid they're gonna kill everyone they love. But it's just.
Speaker 3: There's no real response to someone who believes in this notion of hell that you could go to for any like arbitrary sin.
Speaker 5: Right, how do you habituate to that notion? How do you go okay? Well, like I can go okay, I'd leave the curling iron in the house, burns down, we get a new house, or you know, anything is manageable, but Hell, by definition is unmanageable.
Speaker 6: Right, There's no way out. Once you're there. You're there.
Speaker 3: And that was one of the things, oh that bothered you, Right, that God didn't extend sympathy to the thirsty rich man in hell.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like, nope, too late. Oh can I tell you my favorite moment. This might be my favorite moment in all of literature. I'm so glad I get to say this. Okay, So that story, that Lazarus story that I hate it. So if your listeners don't know it. Basically, there's a rich man and there's a poor man, and the rich man treats the poor man Lazareth, not Lazarus that rose from the dead, but Lazareth treats him badly. Then at the end, Lazareth goes to heaven. The rich man is in hell. And at one point the rich man goes to Lazareth, my tongue is burning. Can you just give me a drop of your heavenly water from above to soothe my burning self? And Lazareth ask God, and God's like tell him no, no, It is the cruelest, most horrible thing. So I was reading in my sin bravely period after the hospital, I was reading literature that couldn't be considered blasphemous, and I was reading The Last Temptation of Christ and they have this scene and they go up to the point in the story where Jesus is telling the parable, and then it extends and it says John, Jesus's favorite disciple, says, Lord, that cannot be the end of the story. Surely God's mercy spills over, and Jesus says, ah, John, you among all the disciples knew, no, the story cannot end there. And God said to Lazauth, of course, welcome him into the gates and welcome them all. And I just I just cried and cried this idea that just the beginning was reported and only one disciple was open hearted enough to go, No, that can't be how it ends. Those retelling of those stories have real power for me, because now when I think of that story, I have that ending attached to it.
Speaker 2: It's really odd because the two by twos, which I grew up in, is very focused on how like if you were to say I'm scared, I'm going to Hell, they'd be like you probably are, most of us are, like, everyone's going to Hell is essentially there the thing.
Speaker 4: Really, Yeah, it's it's very hell based.
Speaker 2: But the verses that you were kind of hand picking and focusing on are things that they also handpicked and would and would focus upon, so you were kind of doing the same research.
Speaker 7: They were the scariest shit. Scarious, Yeah, the scariest shit.
Speaker 2: And I remember they would there was a really hard influence on children, obey your parents, and that God knows every hair that you have on your head. That was like, and so when I wanted to talk to God, I would pull a hair out of my head so that my hair count change. Oh my God, that I would have his attention, and I'd be like, now that I have your attention, here's what I need to tell you.
Speaker 6: The Maggan I didn't know that.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 2: Like a lot of the verses that you were focused on, I was also focused on. But the difference is it just feels like you were innately finding them on your own with your I mean the Bible that you got, this huge Bible with every single different thing. It's it's horrible and sad, but it's also just so funny that you were doing this.
Speaker 5: You know. The verse that killed me, the hardest one for me was the God would rather you be He wants you to be hot for the Lord, rather you be cold than lukewarm. If you were lukewarm, he will spit you out of his mouth. Bikes, and of course I felt lukewarm. I wasn't on fire, but I was trying.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like forcing yourself to be in love with someone, like, right, right, you're.
Speaker 5: Got a here in this, I'm in this marriage, loveless marriage.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: Isn't that enough? Yeah?
Speaker 2: You go from I'm assuming being in the dorms and being fun to this single bed room by yourself, away from all of your friends, with an entirely new group of people, with an entirely new focus on life. What I mean, what does that even feel like to be nineteen years old and to be addressing all of these issues.
Speaker 5: I felt like I it was like if everyone's in a race and then one person schluffs off to the side. I definitely felt like life was continuing for my I. You know, I've heard people say this about being physically sick. It's like you descend into a different world. There's the world of the well and the world of the unwell, and you can't remember a time when you were well, and you can't have met It just felt like I had slipped into a different sort of existence and I was desperately in love with my fiance, who continued on to do what we had been planning to do that summer, which was be ares in a dorm. We had gotten accepted and we were gonna do this together. And he continued on and he was dating people and he was kind of my It sucks that he was kind of my only big not my only, but he was my biggest emotional support. So I would still call him up crying, and you know, I would measure like is this working? Am I getting better? Am I still? And it's not like when I left, I was cured by any means, but I was eating and managing enough. I had some coping skills.
Speaker 6: How did you get officially diagnosed?
Speaker 5: So there was a there were a number of different people that worked there, but there was a psychiatrist that well, they did the is it the m mp I like a like a three hour kind of battery of tests that ask you various different questions and then she gave me an evaluation and the test results came back. You know, oddly, it's so funny. You know, those tests have weird questions like do you think Abraham Lincoln is a better man or George Washington? You know, it's these like we it's like weird things that they've just determined if you answer this to this question, you're more likely to have blah blah blah blah. It's like they're indirect questions. Yeah, it's weird, so you don't quite know what they're testing. But I remember as I was doing it, being terrified that I was lying, you know, being like, do I really think that George Washington is a better? Like? Am I trust? You know, like being tripped up in the thing itself as I was.
Speaker 3: Doing Was it a relief when you learned that, like this is this was something that your brain was doing, Like did you believe that this was more of a product of you know, these this sort of obsessive thinking style thinking habit that you had instead of like, you know, being directly connected to the reality of sin.
Speaker 5: Yes, it was definitely helpful. That was the one really good thing that they did for me. They compared it to hand washing and that you know, you're never going to be sure that you've gotten every single last germ. Now, of course, my answer was, well, it's okay if you haven't gotten every single last germ if you're handwashing, it's not okay if you haven't gotten that prayer, right, right, so it was not the perfect solution, but it did ameliorate my distress.
Speaker 2: It was one thing I wanted to say something about the medication that you eventually ended up going on, which I have as well, But you didn't want to take it at first because you were scared that you would become less afraid of Hell.
Speaker 7: Might be going there.
Speaker 2: So that's a double bind that you have in your brain where it's.
Speaker 7: Just like, no, I have to stay diligent.
Speaker 2: I don't want anything that calms me down, because then maybe I'll think that I'm not going to hell, and then I'll go to Hell. And your doctor was able to make a very important point, which was like, well, the cortisol in your body is also making you make decisions that aren't in reality, so maybe kind of finding the balance would be a more realistic thought. Yep.
Speaker 5: It was a good argument and a fair one, and I it was my way in. Yeah. I was like, Okay, that's a distorting drug too, all.
Speaker 4: Right, of course, Yeah, yeah, it's true.
Speaker 5: It's true.
Speaker 3: Well, so we've said the wordscrupulosity a few times, and I just want to I'm going to read something from TREATIOCD dot com, which is a no from no CD.
Speaker 7: I'm sure we've all been on it several times.
Speaker 6: What is scrupulosity OCD? Okay?
Speaker 3: If you're experiencing obsessions centered on morals, religious codes, and your ability to adhere to them, you may be dealing with a subtype of OCD known as scrupulosity OCD or religious OCD. Scrupulosity OCD typically involves intrusive thoughts and compulsive behaviors focused on religious codes, spiritual beliefs, or questions of morality. For example, people with this OCD subtype often have recurring fears about sinning, making God angry, or otherwise going against their religious's rules. However, scrupulosity can also manifest us more general fears about ethics, proper behavior, responsibility for others, or other questions relating to values, like anxieties about veganism and environmentalism. Interestingly, if you go down to the symptoms, it seems like this must be a recurring theme. Veganism as like a moral code, because there's there's like did I do something wrong? Have I disappointed God? Am I committing a sin? If I'm a vegan? Am I a bad person for accidentally eating honey? Which totally makes sense. There's so many ways in which this can manifest itself, depending on what your particular code of morality is, you know, like if you're anti racist and you have OCD and a racist thought pops into your head, like, I'm sure exactly the same thing can come up.
Speaker 6: But so that is sort of the realm that we are dealing with.
Speaker 3: And I don't want to say you got lucky, but like, your religion wasn't that extreme compared to many of the people we've had on this show, where the rules are so so strict and the you know, thought control is and life control is so so strict that it almost almost be impossible to not develop OCD in response.
Speaker 6: To paying it in it.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, but I do think it's more common than maybe any of us realized a few years ago, because the more we have these conversations, the more and more people we find will like have had obsessions of these kind.
Speaker 5: Obsessions of these kind in terms of religion, are in terms of like the veganism that you're talking.
Speaker 3: About, or religion in terms of like people who are coming out of religions, but also in general, like cancel culture. OCD is a thing where you're like worried that you'll say something wrong or you you'll do something wrong and yeah you'll get canceled or you know, like there's there's so many versions of it, but I in particular on this podcast, because we deal with religion, we see these patterns kind of come.
Speaker 6: Up a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I think it's so interesting the connection between particularly scrupulous I mean, I know scrupulosity is a type of OCD, but the connection between fear of hell and and finding some sort of pattern to manage it, whether it's directly related to the thoughts or whether it's some like did you ever see the movie Jesus Camp You probably did? I did.
Speaker 2: Yes, And there's that kid who won't who like he's like a preacher.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, yeah, yeah, there's that kid. But there's a moment when one of the girls who's kind of pushed to witness when she doesn't want to witness, goes outside and she needs to get a certain number of snowflakes on her tongue before she'll go back inside. And it was such a I saw that and I was like, oh, there, there, it blooms, there, it blooms.
Speaker 3: I mean, anytime you're told that someone is literally in your brain and can see every thought that you have, and you're a human being. So some of the thoughts that pop into your brain that are just the natural result of being a human whose brain works. Yeah, I mean some of those thoughts. The first thought is not going to be your best thought. And then oh God saw that, Oh yeah, God heard that. I got to do something about that to let God know that that thought wasn't what I really think, you.
Speaker 5: Know, totally, and then that kind of mind screw of like, well, it's like with a T shirt thing with me. At one point I was like, wait, does God know I'm embarrased? Like he can see He's not just looking at the outside. He's looking. He's gonna know I feel embarrassed. I'm you know, there's there's all those different layers of how can you trick God? Can you deceive God? Right, it's the don't think about pink elephants on the wall. As soon as you say that, they're gonna come stampeding in.
Speaker 3: And and to add on to that, the metaphor that we always you know comes up in OCD a lot, and we've talked about this podcast, is when you have a beach ball in the ocean, and you try to push the beach ball.
Speaker 6: Down into the water, it's just gonna.
Speaker 3: Zoom right back up like there there really isn't That's not how it works. You can't get rid of a thought by just like trying not to think about it, you know, it just makes it come back. More so if anyone's suffering from scrupulosity, just no, yeah, it's just your brain braining.
Speaker 2: Do you guys think if you have a thought. There was a pair of twins where you went who were like completely destroyed by the fact that they kept envisioning themselves having sex with their mother.
Speaker 7: Horrible, horrible thought.
Speaker 2: Do you think that they should have just seen that fantasy out to the end without guilt, and that would have been kind of the beach ball up to the thing and you Okay.
Speaker 5: I wonder I mean that was the problem with that facility. Well, the slogan was psychiatry where the Bible comes first, which is a problematic attitude to have. So I felt like some of the treatment, including the treatment of the twins, had that moral overlay that could have caused more problems than helped.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, the thing is this, like the thing with OCD is that it attaches onto the thing you value the most. So whatever that is, whatever you don't want to happen the most, that's the thing that's going to make you think is going to happen. So yes, if you don't want to do like weird stuff with your mom and you think it would be horrible to do that, that's the first thing that your brain's going to show.
Speaker 5: Yes. Yes, your brain braining is the perfect thing to say. Yes.
Speaker 3: Apologies for andy blasphemy we may have committed. We were more just talking about, you know, what our where our brains take us. But for someone if there is someone who's currently struggling with this scrupulosity or religious anxiety or moral OCD, like what would you would you have any advice for them?
Speaker 5: Maggie, Oh boy, that's a that's my my favorite question. There were different phases to my recovery from scrupulosity. The first phase was within Christianity itself, so anybody suffering within Christianity. What I did that was so helpful for me is to replace my image of a scary, terrifying God that seemed likely to send me to hell with that of a warm, compassionate image and I really worked to construct that. I mean, I listened to songs I listened to like the Indigo Girls Strange Fire. That's the first line, I come to you with an offering of love. I come to you with a strange fire of love. It was written as a love song from God to his children. And so I thought of that. I pictured women as God. I made artwork that would evoke to me a compassionate, warm, pink, rosy, enveloping image. Like I treated it like an art project, so that I had a counter image. So anytime I was worried, you know, I was like I felt guilty. I had an image that I had curated that would arise when I had the fear that did not replace the horrible image, but stood side by side and within Christianity. That was the best thing I did for myself exiting Christianity. The best thing that I did for myself was read Joseph Campbell and realize how all of the different religions are connected and how these images are symbols. And I really came to understand how the Bible came to be created, how it's been used as a weapon of fear, and extricating myself completely from the literal thinking. Those were the two things that I did. Oh and meditate, Dear God, meditate that I don't know what would have happen and to my life if I didn't have a very regular meditation practice where I can continually come back to center and see what my mind is doing and then go all right, here we are here, we are doing its thing. Here we are thought.
Speaker 6: Oh, yeah, hello thought, goodbye thought.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I mean it's it's the hardest thing in the world to do, and I still struggle with repetitious thoughts, intrusive thoughts, but that's how I deal with it. That was a long answer.
Speaker 6: No, it's a great answer.
Speaker 3: I love having a distinction between within Christianity and extiting Christianity because that's obviously the approach will had to be very different and the treatment would be very different depending on what someone's belief system is. And we always do recommend mental health professionals who are specialized in what you are experiencing.
Speaker 6: I went to.
Speaker 3: Before I saw OCD therapy and God listeners. So sorry we talk about this so much, but before I saw someone who was specialized, I went to just the general therapist to kind of, you know, she just had anxiety listed as like one of her specialties. And she was great for what she was. You know, she was great for certain things. I don't want to trash her. She was a very good therapist, but she didn't necessarily know about this stuff. She told me that meditation could be helpful. I was having like kind of NonStop panic about about the idea of losing my mind, and she told me meditation could be helpful. And I was like, I'm trying meditation and it's not working. And she was like, well, you can't just start now, you have to have it ongoing. And then my obsessive brain was like, oh, because I didn't start meditating earlier, the meditation is not going to work for me. And so now every time I meditate, it's gonna be you.
Speaker 6: Know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And I would meditate and then I'd be like, how do I feel now? How do I feel now? Did the meditation get rid of it? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 6: I'll just find something, It'll just find something. Yeah, yeah, But I do agree. Mindfulness.
Speaker 3: Mindfulness is a big part of the like sort of gold standard treatment for scrupulosity and OCD. Now, like being able to notice your thought and see it for what it is instead of identifying with it so strongly. It's it's yeah, it's just it's a skill we should all have, It's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Well it sounds like you're free from this belief system or do you still have lingering.
Speaker 4: Fears?
Speaker 5: Lingering but very wispy, Yeah, very wispy.
Speaker 3: Tell us where people can find your book and or are you on social media?
Speaker 5: Oh? Yes, so my website is maggiowauthor dot com. Books on Amazon anyway where they sell books.
Speaker 6: Awesome, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wow, Maggie, thank you so much for getting unstuck from under your gate and us and writing such an amazing book.
Speaker 3: Indeed, and speaking of the book, there is an ending to the book that is the reason it's called sin Bravely that we didn't actually get to talk about.
Speaker 4: Yes, very strong third act ending.
Speaker 2: She discovers through her psychiatrist, a philosopher who said something about, uh, like, if you're every human's gonna sin, so sin bravely, just be bold, be bold about shit, be bold about shit.
Speaker 3: Well, and in her case, like she was so terrified of sinning because of how much she wanted not to. And I think that's one of the most interesting things about OCD to me, is like it latches onto the thing that you want or don't want the most, so it's like whatever you value. So in her case, it just was a demonstration of how much she valued being righteous that she was so afraid of sinning. So for her to sin was like in defiance of like it was it's a really brave thing to do because she values being righteous so much exactly.
Speaker 4: So third act pinnacle of this book, which everybody should read for themselves. But I won't give away too much, but I will just tell you she ends up actually going at the end of her kind of summer and this institution to an amateur stripping night and doing a little strip tease.
Speaker 6: She lets it all loose, I mean just let at all loose.
Speaker 4: But she dances, yeah, and she and she takes all some clothes.
Speaker 3: And this is, you know, an exposure for her, and this is a way to be brave and to kind of defy her own obsessive brain. And I think it's such a cool, like interesting resolution to this kind of obsession about sin.
Speaker 4: I am obsessed with it. I loved it.
Speaker 2: Too, So yeah, read the book for the whole experience. But uh, you know you walk away from a feeling, feeling a nuisance of freedom. I did anyway, so hell yeah, can't say enough good about it.
Speaker 3: The book is called Sin Bravely, a Memoir of Spiritual Disobedience by Maggie Brow.
Speaker 2: Go check it out, Yes, please and go check us out on Apple and radous five stars.
Speaker 4: Leave us a glowing review, order a T shirt.
Speaker 6: At wy Slash trust Me Merch.
Speaker 4: And as always, remember to follow your gut, watch out for red.
Speaker 6: Flags, and never ever trust me.
Speaker 3: Hey Hey, trust Me is produced by Kirsten Woodward, Gabby Rapp and Steve Delamater.
Speaker 2: The special thanks to Stacy Para and.
Speaker 6: Our theme song was composed by Holly amber Church.
Speaker 2: You can find us on Instagram at trust Me Podcast, Twitter at trust Me Cult Pod, or on TikTok at trust Me Cult Podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm Ula Lola on Instagram and Ola Lola on Twitter.
Speaker 2: And I am Megan Elizabeth eleven on Instagram and Abraham Hits on Twitter.
Speaker 6: Remember to rate and review and spread the word