Speaker 1: Let's talk to Pitching Ninja Rob Freeman right now. Check out all his content Pitching Ninja everywhere, all the socials, YouTube, the whole deal.
Speaker 2: Rob.
Speaker 1: Great to catch up again. Man, Let's start with the mizz right because he's the cy young front runner I can't say the word in the National League. So gets the two hundred k's in a unique way. He's dealing fastballs, what was it twenty one in a row to start there against the Twins and then the one hundred plus pitches, So what else impresses you?
Speaker 2: I mean I was watching the game and going like, are we do we know what we're watching right now? Because for the first fifty five pitches yesterday he threw eighty five percent strike so we're not talking about a dude who sprays it around. I was like, what do you do? You got to either hope to survive until he leaves the game or hope he gets tired, which he kind of did later on in that start. But yeah, it's kind of mind blowing. I don't think we should ever lose lose consciousness of what is going on, of what you're seeing.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 3: First of all, nice seeing you since I saw you in Philly didn't introduce me to your family.
Speaker 4: That's okay.
Speaker 5: I can't blame you. I introduced I wouldn't introduce myself to your family either. It's fine, nor well let that go, Rob, But my wife, how good? I mean, you know you said, we don't know what we're seeing. How special is what we're seeing from the miz I mean one hundred and two hundred and three hundred and four, right, and then when he needs to, he just goes slider and guys swing at it obviously like it's fifty miles an hour because they're geared up for one hundred and five. So where would you rate this on like the special scale?
Speaker 2: It is way up there. I was actually I've been trying to think of that. It's like the Peter Martinez years when you're talking about like a zero point seventy three whip and just destroying guys. It's kind of like that. And for me again, it's the command that's just amazing. It's like de Gram at his height of his at the height of his powers, but like SA's de Grom two point zero and he does everything so easy. We just need to like just appreciate this, get that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the numbers are the numbers are impressive strikeouts. But so you watch his start in LA, not just the one they just added, the one in LA where he's complaining about the mound. Is that just a glimpse into the fact that this guy's actually landing on a different I think you tweeted about it. He's landing at a different spot than everybody else. Like you talk about people in the game that are changing different things, is there other things that he's like just that much different, not just one hundred and five miles an hour.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's actually you know, his pregame obviously, the way he warms up is unique. It's a little schemes like, but his movement is so efficient at his height, so he's a combination of really long limbs but moves like a smaller guy and with that added strength. Again, to me, it's he just has put everything together. This is a dude who throws absolute flames at the height of his powers. You know, can he get better? He told me he's gonna try to hit one oh six. Let's see, is it worth it?
Speaker 4: Is it worth it?
Speaker 3: Because the name that you just brought up, de Grom, everyone would be like, no, rob somebody else, like somebody that made all their starts. So is one hundred and six is one hundred and three in the first inning? Is it worth it? Or are we going to have a short, short window to watch him throw?
Speaker 2: Excellent question. I mean if you look at somebody like, we all go back, how hard to Nolan Ryan throw? People say, whatever, he threw hard for a long time. There are guys who throw hard for a long time, but there are also guys who don't. And you know, to me chasing one oh six while you'd go down in history, is it worth it to risk injury? Probably not, But if you're a competitor, you want to be the best at whatever you do. The one thing I noticed though, I mean I had a stat today that I tweeted out. If you look at his his slugging against fast over one hundred versus fastballs under one hundred, it is huge different. I mean we're talking about like one seventy slug on fastballs over one hundred and five hundred slug on fastballs under one hundred. So his velo does matter. He does want to throw hard. But then again, is it party you mean you hit? Don't you get accustomed if you're seeing it all the time, and then a ninety nine looks slow, but a ninety nine could look really fast if you settle at a different level.
Speaker 3: You know what they're slugged against is when he doesn't make a start though, yeah, does exactly.
Speaker 2: I Yeah, totally agree, And he's he's the weapon. Like do you want you want him to pitch against the Dodgers? Don't you?
Speaker 4: You do?
Speaker 3: You want him to pitch against whoever you're facing, But you want him to pitch. You want him you want to go to the yard and know that every five days he's going to And Nolan Ryan. Everyone talks about Nolan Ryan. I just read Tim Brown's book on Nolan Ryan. I was I'm part way through your book on Unhittable, and it's it's almost a contradictory story the both of them. And the reality is the mi is ain't making any money in this game unless he does what pitches and so anyway, it wasn't even a question of a cop.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, And I totally agree with you, Like the biggest ability is actually showing up in it's pitchabillity being in the game, right, So there's a fine line, like they're doing a good job of maybe stretching him out between starts and making sure they're not putting too much on him. But you need him. He is your weapon, and do not do anything to jeopardize that.
Speaker 4: Agreed. I agreed, Rob, And it'd be nice with him if it was him in Schoogle. But we can't talk about that anymore because the burs tried. Okay, the Brewers tried, and we're not. We're not going to talk about that. Uh.
Speaker 5: Another guy that used to be this weapon, Paul Skeins. What's happened to Paul Skins? His Velo's down? Is the rest of his numbers or have gone way up? What's going on? What do you see with Paul Skeens? Because last year he was Jacob Mazerowski and now, oh does vie He's not dude.
Speaker 2: He's like the showcase of my book Unhittable too, because there's a bunch of things he's done that have been fantastic. He is like the one thing I've heard batten around like, people are going is he injured or is he saving himself for his contract year and just back it off saying, you know what, I just don't want to get hurt. I don't think either one of those are true. Based on his mechanics, it looks a little bit like he may be just in a slump. He may one of the things that you see, like his pregame workout when he's doing the water bags and all these these twists, is sometimes you overdo it, like things that worked at one point that helped correct things. Maybe you get stuck after a while and it doesn't go on forever. You don't get better forever at it. So it could be that his body isn't just synced up perfectly, and he could fix this in the off season, or it might snap together in a start. But his fastball is still playing really well. We're not talking about Kyle Hendrix here. We're talking about a guy who Garrett cole trek school ball level. Like he's still throwing hard.
Speaker 3: Is it one pitch though? I mean, he's still throwing hard. That's why I said the other day it's a mile and a half difference. It still should be effective, But isn't it his slider. Isn't the shape of his slider way way different right now?
Speaker 2: To me, it's more of the stuff that's going armside, like he is getting shelled on stuff going armside, so his splinker isn't dropping as much, his change up isn't moving quite the way he wants it. And if you're a hitter and you know that his sweeper is really hard to hit, his fastball is still playing as well as it's ever played. So I don't think he's a guy that necessarily needs to throw, you know, one hundred miles an hour to get hitters out. He's really good regardless, But hitters are just looking for stuff to go armside and saying, you know, I can deal with that because it's splinker's dropping less and his change up's moving less, so just look out there.
Speaker 1: I know this is a busy time of year for many of you, including AJ. When you're home, you need everything to get done fast with quality.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. That's why Factor meals are perfect for me. Ready in two minutes, healthy, premade, protein, all the things I like, vegetables, They're all mixed into one and it's quick, easy cleanup, Don boom, I'm full, move on to the next task.
Speaker 6: No prep, no cleanup.
Speaker 1: Every week, you'll find over one hundred nutrient dense menu items to choose from and new options like salmon burgers, shredded pork, and much more. Plus add on Jill crave like pumpkin flavored cheesecake and protein shakes. Let's eat real. Head to Factor meals dot com slash foul fifty off and use code foul five zero off to get fifty percent off and one free breakfast item per box for one year while supplies last until ten thirty one twenty six. That's code foul fifty off at Factor meals dot Com Foul fifty off Factor meals dot Com see website for more details.
Speaker 3: You talk about in your book about how the journey with your son trying to learn all this stuff and you just learned so many different things. Do you feel like a guy like schemes knee to look at the shape of his pitches and then try to sync it up where his mechanics are or does he need to first say okay, it's his mechanics and then the shape of his pitches will change.
Speaker 2: You know that's they're both connected. So to me, I would look at the shape of his pitches because he can continue to throw the same velo. I don't think his velo like if he's throwing ninety seven he's going to be okay, but the difference in velo between that and his off speed pitches has empressed a little bit, so you know that you're not you know, if the difference in your change up is now a mile and a half slower than it used to be, the gap is a little less, Hitters can sit on it a little bit better, it's moving a little less, so to me, it's pitch shape. And you know, he can tinker with all this stuff in the off season. I think there are probably simple mechanic things, mechanical things that can get him back where he was. But I'm you know, he is far from broken his expected stats, which you're not paid based on your expected stats, and your team doesn't win based on your expected stats. But you can see how his stuff is playing against real hitters, and his expected SATs are still pretty good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I was expected to hit a thousand, but I did exactly. I can take those and throw him out the window.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: Another guy that has incredible stuff that aj Hinch has talked about. I know last year when I did the Seattle Tiger Series was Melton. Okay, Melton stuff is ridiculously good. Troy Melton if you haven't seen this guy pitch.
Speaker 3: And last year they were like Hinch was saying, oh man, this guy's going to be a stud for us.
Speaker 5: He's kind of in a hybrid role. They started him and his stuff was ridiculous. Now he's kind of starting looks like to take that next step. How good can Troy Melton be for the Tigers?
Speaker 2: Thank you for bringing him up, because I think he is one of the most untalked about players in baseball. Tigers fans know him, but everybody should know Troy Melton. I mean, those stats speak for themselves. A one four six era, and I thought his change up is filthy. He's got a cutter Peter that I mean, Peter gets on you. So yeah, I love this dude. He's pitching beyond his years too.
Speaker 3: One of the things you mentioned, Ajsa, you can't talk about the Schoobol trade, but I will Scooble for It's less about schooball and more about what the Brewers may have had to have given up. Logan Henderson, do you feel like that would be fair if the Brewers had given him up based on what you've seen from Logan Henderson.
Speaker 2: Logan Henderson is really good. Like I get it. It all depends on how you value winning a World Series this year because obviously a Schooble miss combo, who's going to beat that? Like, that's an unbeatable combo. But for the future, I mean, I think Logan Henderson is a valuable piece for the next several years. And I mean again, another guy. Another guy's stats speak for themselves, and they do have a rotation that you know, even without Schooble. I don't want to go against them because their bullpen also shortens games.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, it does.
Speaker 3: Kept looking Anderson. That was their decision, Rob, So we all will see how it goes. We'll see how it goes.
Speaker 2: Dodgers School in Atlanta with Salamam, with Chrissale.
Speaker 3: Too many lefties, too many lefties, Rob, they needed, they needed Tyler Mollin.
Speaker 4: Okay, so they too many lefties. You can't have two lefties pitching in the same rotation. That's against the rules of baseball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, god forbid, especially when the Dodgers have a Toannie Freeman Muncy all those lefties in the lineup.
Speaker 4: Kyle Tucker, No, we don't want two lefties. We want righties.
Speaker 5: But anyways, well, let's get off, Scooble. I've taken enough abuse on Twitter.
Speaker 3: I'm feeling sorry for myself after all the abuse on Twitter saying the Brewers should have got them.
Speaker 4: Let's go to a couple of things to happen this. Yes, thank you, Thank you. Rob.
Speaker 5: Next time, just introduced with your wife. Maybe she'll give me up. Thanks Mssus Freedman, nice to meet you. But Sale and Zach Wheeler had some interesting things happened. Chris Sale obviously the ball hall and I've never seen this. Usually it's once you're declared, you stay and which I don't understand, and then we're going after you answer that question. I want to talk about Zach Wheeler because I have seen this before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the Sale thing. Love Chris Sale. I mean, you know, technically sure, whatever you have, maybe you have to declear every hitter. I don't know that it's crystal clear, but if you do, He's never had to do it in his entire career, and I've never seen anybody do that. So this is an umpire who wanted to prove that he knew he knows the rules, and kind of he did that throughout the game. I thought, and yes, if you go fifty six and a fifty five, you're technically speeding. But if you get pulled over by a guy when you're going fifty six, I'm going like really, like really, And I love that he got ejected here because this is what you should do. Fire the team up, Chris Sale, he's awesome.
Speaker 4: Agreed, Agreed.
Speaker 3: Like I said, I once got ejected before a game started, so I know how it feels.
Speaker 4: I wasn't a starting pitcher though, so it was fine. It was fine. It wasn't a big of a deal. But I love Chrysale.
Speaker 5: I taught him, well, so if you got a day you're not starting, you want to get ejected, go for it and pay your five hundred dollars fine, thousand dollars, fine, and move on. But again the umpireson just said, hey, we screwed up. Let's put the guy back on third. There was a pitch throwing. It wasn't that ball hit.
Speaker 4: It was nothing exactly. It was not super super stupid.
Speaker 5: Now the Zach Wheeler thing, right, he's pitching off the rubber, is he?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 4: But I did see Ted Lilly do this.
Speaker 5: Ted Lily used to go like six to eight inches in front of the rubber when he would go in the wine, if he'd go like this and then he'd move his back foot if it was like here, he would go this far forward and then throw the pitch. And we kept telling the umpires and they just never would do anything about it. We're like this dude literally jump takes it. When he goes over his head, he take moves his back foot. It moves like six to eight inches off the rubber. Now he's off it to a side. Okay, But I mean I was always told, as long as a piece of your cleat is touching the rubber, you're fine. I don't know ted Lily was a little different because he went forward.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: I noticed this with Wheeler two. I think it's like, come on, how much it doesn't give my ton of advantage? Move over in inch that'll be okay. But yeah, I talked to Nolan Ryan about it. Nolan Ryan, you know dude who threw absolute flames on mounds that were little.
Speaker 4: Eh.
Speaker 2: He moved in front by like six inches. Umpires didn't check. So could you imagine like Nolan Ryan throwing heaters throw from six inches closer? Kind of not fair, But it's been going on for forever, like this is just baseball. Little things. You try to get an edge. Maybe they push him back a little bit.
Speaker 3: I played with a reliever that would come in and cover the rubber up with dirt so he could start closer.
Speaker 4: Anyway, he was a different cat.
Speaker 3: But Kevin Gosman is this was this one of the trades that you go when he goes this new team, I want to see how they handle it because of the trade, because he ended up throwing more splits than what did you say in the last six years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's the probably the change I would have made, too, Like his splitter is one of the wonders of baseball in the modern era, Like he is a it's filthy, So I would throw it more often too. You throw your best stuff more often, and.
Speaker 3: That's the only change that you make. Or do you feel like there's something else mechanically as far as like a lower slot where he's releasing that splitter from.
Speaker 2: It is really hard to make mechanical changes during the season. I hate that. I mean, it's the same thing I was worried, Like, I think schemes fix himself in the off season. I think you can play with things in the off season. I would just go based on pitch mix and just make changes that way and say, hey, dude, throw your best stuff more often and see what else snaps into place once you do that, versus making specific changes lower on your arm angle whatever. Gosman knows his splitter better than any pitcher knows any pitch, because that dude gave me a twenty minute dissertation on splitters and all the things he's tried, and it's on YouTube somewhere, but it's absolutely mind blowing. Nobody knows their pitch is better than Kevin Gosman.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, smart guy, really well spoken too. So he was acquired by the Cubs along with Clay Holmes. We haven't talked to you, of course since the trade deadline, and a ton of starting pitchers move that are going to make an impact down the stretch, and a lot of guys moved that can start playoff games.
Speaker 6: What did you like? Give me a name or two.
Speaker 1: Where you're like, I really love that acquisition for this team.
Speaker 2: You know, I know that people are going playing the Braves that didn't do it a lot, but I like the Tyler Maley ad because I think he's a really good pitcher and can give them, you know, value deep in their in their rotation without having to do much. Obviously, schoolbol jumps out to you. But like the Dodgers needed any more stuff? You know, those were really the two and the people that did the team that didn't decide to make moves I thought were interesting.
Speaker 6: Yep, no good call.
Speaker 1: What about one more padres with Mees and Robbie Ray? Do you think that'll work out?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean I I do like Casey Mies's stuff. I think he's going to keep getting better and better. I mean I remember him back in college. Even dude is a pitcher, knows his stuff, and I think that is a really good ad. And Robbie Ray's is a pro like he's going to give you innings.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 1: Well, Rob, good catching up and yes, a reminder of everyone to check out his book.
Speaker 6: Just look up at Ninja and you can give it a look. Rob. Great catching up, man, Thanks for the time.
Speaker 2: Great catching up. And I'll make sure my wife says hi next time, Aje. I will make sure I introduced her.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if she walked up to me and said hi randomly, that would be really awkward for you and for her, not for me, because I would make it totally not awkward.
Speaker 6: But missus Ninja exactly.
Speaker 4: Missus Ninja, I'd be like, whoa, Marc me.
Speaker 6: I like it? Hey, Rob, good stuff, man, thank you talk.
Speaker 2: So take care, guys.
Speaker 1: Science experiment for the one minute we have to tell you about why we love Quint's electrolytes, including watermelon salt, raspberry salt. And I'm holding a citrus salt, just opened it and to pour some powder into my water.
Speaker 6: Shake it up and AJ, why do you love it?
Speaker 5: I love Quints because after a long night out, a long day at the gym, a long walk in this Florida humidity, it tastes great and it gives me all the electrolytes I need. Why sugar free, steavy of free keto approve and taste sweet because of that delicious fermented rice.
Speaker 1: It does taste really good. I'm drinking it right now while we talk about it. It's also made in the USA, rigorously third party tested, give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quints dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order and three sixty five day returns. That's q u I ncee dot com slash fu l for free shipping and three sixty five day returns quins dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Yes, right now, he covers the Dodgers for The Athletic. He's also part of a good Dodgers podcast to check out, and we'll let him talk about that coming up in a moment. Bobby, I'm great to have you on the show here. And what are you watching lately? A team that doesn't have it all, at least not right now.
Speaker 7: Huh, yeah, especially not offensively. They are not playing well and I think it starts with the offense. It's obviously a great rotation at this point. They're about to have two multi time style young winners in the middle of it. But it doesn't really matter that much if you can't score runs, and that's been kind of the case of late.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been ugly. Hey, can I want to go to Edwin Diaz first?
Speaker 6: Yeah? They do stink?
Speaker 1: Aj is Edwin Diez Okay, I mean he missed a good chunk of the year. Is he Okay, I saw the you know, some people pointing out the arm angle dropping significantly.
Speaker 6: What are they saying about him?
Speaker 7: They're saying that it's less to do the arm angle. The fastball velocity's been better since he's coming off the elbow surgery, but the slider's just not there, and it hasn't been there before the surgery hasn't been there since. And the blown Stacey's had have been because he gets to two strikes and he can't get guys to chase or swing and miss the slider. The walk off home run he gave up on Friday, he came on a hangar of a slider, like at the end of the day, Like, if he can't get the right shape or command on it, then it's hard to really make it effective. I don't think they are a concerned long term about it, but it's one of those things that they have to figure out now, just because you're at this point in the season. You have to know who you're to trust in October. They paid him to be their closer in October. But he's got pitchwell first, okay.
Speaker 4: Well, there's a couple of things.
Speaker 3: He only has ten innings, right, he didn't get to go to spring training because he got hurt, so they rushed him back.
Speaker 5: Clearly he wants to be there, so let's give him a little bit of time. We always say, oh, guys, rush back. They missed spring training, they missed this. We need to give him time. I mean, I'm sure he went on a rehab. It's not the same as being in a big league Game's not the same as a big league spring training. So let's give him a little bit of time. But he did get out of a run around third no outs the other day. It's not like I mean, he's incapable of doing some stuff. I mean, back to back triples against the Diamondbacks. If you didn't see Corby and Carroll running, he got a triple down the left field line.
Speaker 4: That might be the fastest I've ever seen a dude run around the bases.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, that Diamax team can really put a lot of pressure on you. But yes, I think ideally they want to just get him on a run, and he hasn't had that obviously. Like you mentioned, he kind of has stopped and start starts the year. Even now, like that was Friday night, was his first time having to hold a one run lead, he's only allowed. He's only had one scoreless outing since he's been back, so they want to give him some time to work through some stuff. It just comes at a time where obviously they're not playing well as a team, and to have him blow two straight saves when they're in the middle of this giant losing streak, it just didn't sit very well in terms of just like adding to the number of issues sort of compounding for this Dodgers team. I don't think there's a long term concern with him, but I do still think that they need to see him kind of go on this extended run these next two months.
Speaker 3: How important is that buy for the Dodgers. How important is the playoff by in the first round.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's incredibly big. I know, I've kind of said it ad nauseum this year. It's the oldest position of player group in the majors at that point, Like it's gonna matter to avoid those two extra games. Obviously they won the World Series last year having those two extra games against the Reds, but still you would rather have it than not. Understand, you could set up your pitching staff, not that there's a wrong way to set up your pitching staff if they're all healthy. But like that saves you from having to use Trek Skuble for an extra start, or Blake Snell or your snowbody got Moto for an extra start, and you can line up where you can have youa Moto on his optimal rest, where you can sort of set up when you want Shoeotani to pitch if he does pitch at all for you. So having that buy just gives you so much freedom to sort of optimize how you want to line things up for you. And also you just can feel safe knowing that you're in the NLDS. You don't have to fight for your life just to get there.
Speaker 3: The reason I asked that is because if Edwin Diaz continues in this direction, let's say till the end of August, so you know, a fourteen day type of period, do the Dodgers feel like Tanner Scott can be their closer that he stepped into kind of in that role in and out doing well. Do they feel like he could be the guy for them if Edwin can't step up and figure this out.
Speaker 7: I think they're gonna give him a shot, Like they paid him to be that guy last year, and obviously they won the World Series with Tanner Scott not throwing a pitch for them in October, partially because of injury, but like that's the guy that they trust. Also to remember that if they are full strength as a rotation in October, then all of a sudden you're looking at a bullpen that would have Justin Rabuski, he was an All Star starter this year, a Roki Sasaki who stepped into that closers rolling in a lot of ways for them last year in October. So those are two guys who all of a sudden become late ending options for you. But yeah, they have Tanner Scott, who they have a lot of trust in. Alex Vesia has been quietly one of the best relievers in baseball since twenty twenty one since he arrived in LA. They have other late enning options, but they did sign Edwin Diaz to be that guy. So they're gonna give him, i think, at least through the end of the regular season, just to get on a run to figure it out. Obviously, become October, then the decision has become a little bit harder if he hasn't thrown the ball better by.
Speaker 5: Then, fabe and you mentioned a little bit their age, right, is they're concerned this team got old quick? I mean their age is old, Okay, I mean they're depending on how you look, they're the third oldest or the oldest, depending on what cage you want to use.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: But Freddy's up there, obviously, Mookie's getting up there, some of these Kik's getting up there, Munths, he's getting there, all up there like for baseball ages, right, Kyle, even Kyle Tucker, you can throw him in there now for even though I don't think he's old, but people say, oh, he's round thirty. That's old for baseball.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: So they have a lot of guys that have been through some battles, they played a ton of games. They're having now a hard time catching up the fastballs. Is age just caught up this team real fast.
Speaker 7: I don't know if it's like a long term like they are going to be old in October, but definitely, I think you can feel some of the impact of how long their seasons have been in twenty four and twenty five right now. I think it's you saw this last year where in July they go through a seven game skit and they really aren't looking good. And yeah, funny how you mentioned Kyle Tucker maybe being one of the old guys. He was signed to be the young guy, like they to be the guy under thirty in this lineup along with Andy Pajis sort of helped the Dodgers through these summer months. Tucker has not been the guy that they expected him to be so far the season. He had a good road trip, so maybe he can finally sort of get some momentum going forward, but they haven't gotten the production that they've wanted out of Mookie Betts, out of Teoscar Hernandez, and out of Max Monzi this month. They obviously have been the most consistent hitter all season, but it's been a down month for him. So all those things combined, there just isn't the floor for this offense that you anticipated them having. Like, especially when you have as many stars as they do, you kind of are banking on okay, even if they're not hitting well. There's a baseline level of production if one of these two guys, or one or two of these guys can sort of help carry you for a while, And for a stretch that was Otani and Freddie Freeman both guys did not have a great weekend in Arizona, and I think you saw like they scored seven runs in three games, like they did not have a good offensive weekend. So they are looking yet they're not hitting the fastball well. Their OPS is below but I think seven hundred on that pitch since it started July. And they're seeing more fastballs than anything in baseball right now, and they aren't slugging, they aren't getting big hits with runs and scoring positions. They just aren't doing a lot of anything well offensively at the moment. I don't think it's a long term concern, but like you're seeing it every single night, how much of a strain it's putting on this pitching staff.
Speaker 1: This is that time of year, aj it is Baseball's time to shine, and it is sea Geek's time to shine with MLB tickets and finding the best pricing seating and games that are even sold out available on sea Geek.
Speaker 3: Absolutely if you want to go to the biggest matchups coming up.
Speaker 4: We have Yankees clubs coming up. Where's Yankees Red Sox? That means stuff.
Speaker 5: Again, there's some big moments that are coming up here in the as the penachases really heat up. Go to seke can find those green tickets with the best deals and get yourself out to an MLB game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and they're straightforward with you.
Speaker 1: They will actually put a red dot next to a ticket that they don't feel is your best look. Green dot means very good code for you. It's Territory ten ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at seakeek. That's ten percent off MLB tickets when you use the promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 3: I know it's a team game, but let's narrow it down a little bit. All those struggles you just said, who is the most concerning about? Who are you most concerned about? Because if you consider in the playoffs, Andy Payes was a defensive replacement. If you're leaning on Andy Payes like it was a different look last year in October by what he did in that time, and he struggled since the first half. But who is the most concerning or the most important to get hot for this offense to be where they want to be?
Speaker 7: For the offense be consistently good. I'd say it's and I think it's been a season long thing. Like they've been really good, even without Kyle Tucker swinging the bat well, But like he this is the time where he kind of has to get going. You look at it where this has just not been the type of season where he's even really looked like the Kyle Tucker he was signed to be. Obviously he wasn't the contract figure gets thrown out. He was signed to that contract because it made sense for the Dodgers to have a short term window. They were willing to pay much higher AAV than maybe he's worth, just knowing that you can sort of lock him in for a short term deal while still not blocking any of your outfield prospects long term. He just hasn't been the kind of setting presence that they needed him to be. I could say Mookie Bets. Obviously the struggles were really concerning, and he has probably the lowest ops of any of these stars, but they also won a World Series. Mookie Bets not swinging the bat all that well, and I think defensively, as long as he's providing solid shortstop defense, it keeps the ops around like seven hundred. I think the Dodgers will live with that with Tucker, like he was signed to solve a lot of problems for them, and he hasn't done that. I I haven't seen even an extended stretch of two week stretch where he swung the bat pretty well. So I think they're still waiting for that, and if that comes in September October, a lot of the conversation about how bad he was maybe in his first season with the Dodgers kind of goes away, especially because he was signed to play in October, not necessarily to get them through the regular season.
Speaker 4: How much worry is there about Pies?
Speaker 5: This is the second year in a row now where he's had really good first halves and kind of the second half has been kind of a downhill slide.
Speaker 4: Is there concern about Andy Pyees?
Speaker 7: I don't think so. I think obviously had a good weekend where like he's hit the ball hard a couple of times, had the home run that was the go ahead home run on Friday. I think the approach that he has naturally is going to let itself to some peaks and valleys. I think they're hoping to kind of stave off the valleys being as deep as they've been this season. But he's always going to be a guy who when he's going right, it's because he's aggressive, and when he's not going right, it's because he's aggressive. Like this is just kind of who he is as a hitter, and some of the struggle with fastball, Like Pa is not a great fastball hitter either, So if the whole team's getting pounded with fastballs, it's not necessarily going to lend itself to Paz finding a lot of success. But I still think that the defense provides such a floor for them. As long as he can sort of do better than he did last October when it was I think four for fifty one in October. As long as he can provide a little bit more than that, I think they're fine in terms of having him there. And I think he settled into that second spot a little bit better than people would think, especially considering some of the other options that they've had at the spot. He at least has been somewhat of a more stating presence beyond and showing it atany in the order.
Speaker 3: Does it seem like the Dodgers believe Dalton Rushing will make it back this year or are they hopeful that when he starts throwing after his few weeks off, he'll be able to make it back.
Speaker 7: I don't think he's gonna catch this year. They haven't flat out said no, but like when we have Dave Roberts about it last week, like where the odds he does catch again this year and they say very unlikely. So they're gonna keep him around like as possibly as a hitter. And I think they that sort of speaks to the fact that they would like to have a left handed hitter on their bench co October. They're pretty much exclusively right handed at the moment. But I don't know is Dalton Rushing that left handed hitter. Do they give a shot to a guy like Alec Thomas, who was sort of acquired to be that Justin Dean type off the bench and has had a really nice season in TRIPAA offensively. I think they are looking for another left handed bat off their bench sort of balance some things out and allow you to maybe get some more days off for certain guys in the lineup who they kind of have to run out there every single day because they don't really have an alternative at the moment on their roster. So the roster's a little clunky right now. Adulton Rushing is the guy that they have felt really highly about what he's been able to do this season, his first full season the big leagues. It's unfortunate that the injury kind of happened just as he was really kind coming to his own on both sides of the ball. And maybe they do keep the bat around because he has that thump in there, and he's obviously a really good hitter and he's shown that this season. But I don't think if he does contribute to the Dodgers again the season, I don't think he'll be behind the plate.
Speaker 3: What about Schoobl's pitching a night for the Dodgers at home, making his home debut for the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: The what's the Dodgers philosophy?
Speaker 5: Because I'm always I'm always fascinated by this when they bring in a new pitcher like Trek Scooble, especially midyear, do they let him go out there and pitch the way that he's been pitching or do they does Mark Pryor and the pitching people jump right in and say, hey, Terrek, I know you've got back to back side Young's but we think you could be even better if you did X y Z.
Speaker 7: I think with established guys at school, it's a lot more of like the slow drip, like you let him sort of get comfortable, understand like, this is a guy who has dealt with a lot this year, like whether it be the arbitration case, the elbow surgery, the trade. Like he's been open about how emotional he was after that deal, understanding that that's the only other team he's ever known in Detroit. So I think it's a lot of letting him get comfortable, letting him figure some stuff out, understanding and having a lot of trust and faith and he knows what he's doing, and if they see something over time, they'll say something and slow drip some stuff in there. But it's been a lot of Hey, Terrek, like you you are the guy that you've kind of always been. Especially he still on the ball, probably will since coming off surgery. The ra is still under three. He looks like Trek's schooble. There's a lot of like letting him sort of get comfortable. There's gonna be some integration of how the Dodgers do things, but at the end of the day, like you acquired Trek's school because of what he's done, and like they're gonna let him keep doing that the rest of the way.
Speaker 1: I'll conclude with this just to make sure there's not too much negativity for the back to back champs. Do you think that there's some overreacting going on amongst whoever? It could even be the team, It could be the ORG, It definitely is fans during a stretch like this when they've gone through stretches like this pretty frequently. Or do you feel like this one's different? And the follow up is do you think there are any teams or what is the one team in your mind that really poses the biggest threat from a matchup perspective in your mind to actually slay the dragon in October?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I only there's like anything that's like pressing long term concern for them. So I think at the end of the day, like maybe there is some overreaction. I do think that these are possible warning signs if they don't get better. But I do think it's one of the things where there's a lot of trust and faith in a group that has won a lot of baseball games together and at the end of the day. They are going to come out of this eventually, and when they do, maybe this is a point where you're sort of looking back in October like, Okay, this is when they maybe figured some stuff out. So I don't think it's a long term concern. And in terms like guys, like teams you're kind of watching, like maybe it's recency biased having just watched them, but that Cubs team is really built well, that they don't really have a lot of holes. That middle up the middle defense changes so many games for them. I love to their deadlines. So if I had to pick a team that I'm kind of watching the rest of the way, it might be the Cubs.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, I like that one. I like that call out.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks for the time at The Athletic for the articles and Dodgers Collective for the podcasts, right Jerry Harriston Junior on there, and Doug Dodger Doug right on.
Speaker 6: There too, Hug Can yes, yeah Can yeah. Nice?
Speaker 1: All right, Well, good catching up, Thank you for the time. Good to see you talk scene.
Speaker 7: Yeah, thanks for having me, guys,