Speaker 1: Episode four eighty nine, Higher Needs, what they cost us, and what to do instead.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast, where you'll learn to save money, embrace simplicity, and live a life here your hosts Jen and Jill.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast. My name is Jen, my name is Jill, and today we're doing something very fun and very different. Back in December of twenty twenty four, a lifetime ago, Jill and I got the chance to speak at Nerd Night Saint Pete about our book, but mostly what we talked about was Maslow's hierarchy of needs and how ignoring our higher needs on that hierarchy causes us to spend unplanned impulsively, and it really deteriorates the power we have with money by not recognizing these higher needs.
Speaker 3: So we decided to share that talk with you all, which is very out of the norm, because you will hear the audience throughout the talk.
Speaker 1: All the hecklers yup.
Speaker 3: You'll hear some cheering, you'll hear some answers, and we hope that you feel like you are a part of the crowd. It was a very supportive, engaged crowd, which we imagine you all to be wherever you're listening to us, so you can feel like you're a part of a group while you're engaging with this. So that'll be the first part of this episode is really just sharing that and how we move through the ways in which you might spend on your higher needs, and again the choices that you can make instead.
Speaker 1: Yes, but first, this very special episode is brought to you by your March budget. Have you made it yet? It's only the twenty eighth, but it is the last day of this month. I know it's come quickly. You just made February's budget or spending plan, and now it's time to look at March and hopefully you already have something kind of skeletal put together, so it's not going to be much work. But there are some things to be saving for in March that sometimes we forget. I think the biggest one for me is summer camps. It's already time to book summer camps. Maybe it's already too late for some which I never realized until I start looking at them. So anything that you want to do for summer now is the time really to be starting to put money away for so that you're not putting it on a credit card and then paying it off with interest later. Instead, get that interest for yourself by putting your savings into a high yield savings account. It's flexible. You don't have to wait like a CD to pull it out. You can pull it out in the summer when you need it. And our current favorite one is CIT. So head to Frugal friendspodcast dot com slash CIT. You're gonna see apy over four percent no hoops to jump through to get that, and we really enjoy it. So again Frugal friendspodcast dot com slash CIT and start saving for summer now and get that free money. Yes. So, a couple episodes that would be really good to queue up after this one would be episode two twenty three how to Design and Afford your Dream Life and episode two twenty how to Buy Happiness. That was I have a friend who doesn't listen to the show and decided to just listen to that one episode. That was the only episode he listened to. Uh huh, and he like still references it. He liked it so much, yet didn't not listen to any other else, no other context, just this one. He's like, that was enough for me. I loved it. I got the whole thing. My life changed. I understand your whole shtick. So uh, those are some really good ones. But yeah, I'm very excited to share this talk with you. It was so fun and I hope you feel like you were with us in that evening.
Speaker 3: Yes, well let's get into it. I will say we start off polling the audience. You're gonna hear us asking questions and answer them for yourselves too, whether in your head or allowed. Whatever you want. But that's where we're kicking it off, and we'll see you back soon to enjoy. We're gonna start off with a pole here, so show up hands. Who here has ever walked out of a store having bought more than what was on the list or just you never even catalysts?
Speaker 1: Yeah, zero things on the list, many things in the How about bought some gadget appliance clothing item just because a friend recommended it? Well, you gotta get a recommendation. I mean saying our arms are going to stay up. That was like, have you ever made a purchase through an Instagram ad? Yeah, we'll see, Yes, you're something from seeing it on Instagram and nobody got paid to promote it. You just bought it. Have you ever overspent on brunch with friends? Yeah, that'll git cha. Even if you budgeted twenty, it's like one hundred and fifty, you but it zero and then you ended up there benefits. So we're going to talk about that. It's apparently we're all in the same boat.
Speaker 2: Who we are.
Speaker 1: We're Jen and Jill podcast co hosts and co authors of Buy What You Love Without Going Broke. So it's a new book. It releases January seventh. It's coming up so soon fast. Nice.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: So we started Frugal Friends because we were really passionate about helping people save money, and this has evolved into helping people figure out what to spend money on because who was ever taught how to spend money? We were basically just told, if you spend money, you're irresponsible with money, and if you save it all that means you're good with money. But I love to spend money, and so we have made it our mission to find the radical middle between spending all your money and saving all your money and find that really good sweet spot. And so that is what our book is about, and that's kind of what we're talking about. Tonight. Yeah, some of this is in the book. So here we go. Really beautiful triangle. One of our favorite shapes Maslow's hierarchy of needs. So this was developed by Abraham Maslow. He was an American psychologist, and it's representative of all of our needs. So at the bottom, we've got basic needs. This includes our physiological needs, food, water, shelter. Above that comes our safety needs, our need for security and stability, and then above that come your belonging and love needs. I did look this up. Belonging this is a word. I didn't think it was that electics. I'm like, all right, it's correct. I know you all are going to fact check us. So because your intimate relationships, your friendships, we all have this need for community. Following that is our escene needs. This is the need to feel accomplished in life, have some degree of prestige, field confidence inside of ourselves. And at the tippie pup of this triangle is self actualization. Now this isn't reaching some level of nirvana. This isn't, you know, transcendence. This is representative of us feeling like we're living into our full potential. It even includes spontaneity, having a need to be spontaneous. What we have found in the personal finance space is that so often experts stop here at the basic needs. You got your food, clothing, shelter, all of that, get it covered, and beyond that it's just a want and you shouldn't send on it. But Maslow's hierarchy tells us something different, that we have more needs beyond these bottom couple of levels, and we will send to achieve them. So of course we've got to spend on the food, water, warmth, and rest needs, but even subconsciously, without even knowing it, we will also send to achieve some of these higher level needs, which we will get into. Yeah, when we don't value these higher needs to the extent that they need to be valued, we still spend on it. There's a difference in the lower levels. There's a difference between being hungry and not knowing where your next meal is coming from. Right, So if we don't know where our next meal is coming from, obviously we can't focus on these higher needs. But if I'm working on a passion project that I'm really loving, I can be hungry and forego food for hours to work on this project that makes me feel creative. And innovative and like I'm living into my full self. And so this is how we spend on these higher needs without knowing it. So we have some stories for you if you're like, how I don't really feel like I'm spending on esteem, right, So we have a couple stories for you from each of these higher needs that just demonstrate how we spend on higher needs even if we're not specifically spending on the need. And they're silly, and they do come from Reddit, because where else do you turn to when you're hearing it? How are people sending on belonging needs and love needs? Here you go? So, yes, what are the things that we spend on when we're trying to impress somebody that we like and could potentially love to meet that need? Well, this person, when I was eleven, I gave a girl I liked my holographic charizard. She gave it to a voice she liked. I snapped inside sad. Another person said, I once made fifteen pounds of chocolate chip cookies from scratch. This was all to receive love and affection. That's a lot lot. It's a lot of cookies. I'm sure i'd be sad about that. But I paid the extra two dollars and fifty cents for stuffed crust from Dominos. We're not saying that it's as bad dispression. It's just buying. But sometimes sometimes you got a flex. Sometimes you got a flex to be loved. Okay, But how might we then spend on our esteem? Here's some examples. Well, on a trip in our twenty thirteen BMW X Street, it suddenly popped up a check engine. No, I said, just called BMW support and they said to continue driving. Little did anyone know. When we were just miles away from our hotel, the BMW started catastrophically breaking down into a spiral of warning lights like it was Christmas in April. Wah wah. The BMW could not get you there. I just like that because when we're spending on esteem, we're not specifically spending and saying, oh, this will raise my self esteem, this will raise my self confidence. What we're doing is we're feeling a lack of self esteem and we're spending out of black. So we're spending out of lack of self confidence, lack of feeling like we're being respected by people in our lives. And so what comes from that is, we're spending a lot of money on skincare routines, makeup fitness products, luxury cars that don't work. But we can't afford the new luxury cars. But we still need a luxury car to be respected, So we're getting the oldie and it's lighting up like a Christmas tree. Another thing we'll do is hobbies. We'll send to start hobbies because if I'm doing this hobby, then I'll feel more creative, I'll feel better about myself, and sometimes that might be running right lifting, And then you buy all this what we call procrast is spending instead of starting the hobby. You buy all the things for the hobby, like the nice running shoes, and then you never use them and they end up on posh market a discount. Gotta we sell them. I really hope that phone. They did ninety sell them, two thousand sold these shoes. Okay, but how might we send on self actualization? Here's an example again for Reddit. It was Saturday night and I had no plans. I ran into my old roommate.
Speaker 3: He was wearing giant minotaur horns and convince me to come with him to a fairy tale themed rave at some warehouse.
Speaker 1: Quickly ran to the Halloween store, bought some wings and some face paint obviously, and headed toward the venue. Besides that, being the best party of the year, I must have been stopped for photos about twenty times. I even got a free slice of pizza for making the guy at the pizza you laugh. Wow, Satinet money well sent in my opinion, not bad right, free slice of pizza Naga all right? For this story, it was a rough week at work, so I went around and collected two dollars from my co workers for a surprise. I called a meeting and when everyone showed up, they were greeted by a mountain of golden brown French fries and then lastnings to that person. So one of the for self actualization, we really do think of it as like this transcendence living in your passion, working for some philanthropical company or whatever that is. But it is truly just feeling like you are living your true self, your full self, that you're able to act on your own desires independently, that you're able to be creative, you're able to buy your coworkers amount of fries on your own or with everybody else's money. Here's the issue, though, So we do have these internal needs and Maslow's hierarchy of needs kind of tells us that, and they all matter. While we should be focusing on definitely achieving the bottom level, we also need to be valuing some of the higher level needs. But what also happens is marketers are aware of all of our needs and they will play and pray upon these needs to sell us something. We are so conditioned to buy our way out of problems, to purchase the solutions to problems we do send to solve. We've been socialized in this way. We send to meet our needs, and marketers will take a vanished And here's how it's not all our fault. It's not. Since the late eighteen hundreds, since the Industrial Revolution, when it became much more affordable to manufacture large quantities of things, we have been conditioned to buy larger quantities of things. So the Industrial Revolution happened late eighteen hundreds. Around the nineteen twenties, we meet this man with this weird mustache. His name is Edward Burnet's. Has anybody ever heard of Edward Burnets? Oh? Heck, people, guy, my guy. For those of you who haven't heard of Edward Burnet's Has anybody heard of Sigmund Freud? Edward Barnes is Sigmund Freud's nephew, so he used much of Sigmund Freud's work on psychology to use it in marketing. My favorite fact about him Burnees is that he was he's considered the father of pr public relations. Originally he was the father of propaganda, but he saw that that was headed in a bad direction, so he prd himself and spun it to be the father of public relations. But since the nineteen twenties he has been. When he was alive, he was hired by companies to increase desire for products because there were so many products, and marketing at that time was pretty much just for awareness, and what Burns did was along with awareness, he began the practice of not just manufacturing products, but manufacturing desire. So even if before you knew about the product, you didn't know you had the problem, He's going to tell you you have a problem and this product is a solution. Take cigarettes, for example, in the nineteen twenties, women did not smoke cigarettes, but they were a huge part of the population that the cigarette companies wanted to get smoking So what Brene did was he capitalized on the suffrage movement that was in bold and had just gotten women the right to vote. And he said, you've just gotten this little piece of equality if you want more than to do what the men do and smoke. And so he positioned cigarettes as literally torches of freedom, that's what he referred to them as in marketing. Hired women to march in the Eastern Parade in New York City smoking these torches in freedom to make it acceptable in public, and it got women smoking. And so when we are able to mass produce products at a cheaper price and the demand isn't there, what to be done? We manufactured demand, We manufactured desire, which is how we got to this picture here, which is actually a crazy hot Buys down in South Saint Pete On. Anybody's been there before, but it's like an Amazon returning store and it's wild and probably wear a mask. But this is what leads and songs a great degree of over consumption. Okay, so what can be done? What do we do about this? Because we do have needs and all of them matter, and we do have a need for stanety and we don't think impulse spending We don't think impulse spending is wrong, and we want to be able to send well. We believe spending is a skill, a skill that can be learned. So the first thing that we recommend to people is to ask ourselves some better questions. One of the things we like to avoid is asking the why question That can really put us on the defense. It's the difference between asking my husband, why did you send so much as a music store what's going on? That's automatic fight mode? To what is it about the music store and the things that you just purchased that you love so much? Changes the whole dynamic from I got to justify this shame guilt too. Let me think about that a little more. What need am I trying to meet through this purchase? And possibly is there a better way to be able to meet that need? Do I have to send money to solve all of my problems? Do I have to buy my way towards meeting my needs? And that can exercise some of that creativity need that we have, the self esteem, the belonging need. You might actually more fully meet the need when we pause and ask these questions rather than just jump into let me throw money at it. Yeah, dopamine also plays a partner impulse sending, so we want to play into that too, So creating a dopamine hit list. So if you find if you go back through your transactions and find a lot of my impulse sending happens at night when I'm scrolling on Amazon or doom scrolling on Instagram, then creating a list of alternative things you can do that get you that dopamine hit but are the same size. So if I'm dune scrolling Instagram and bed, the solution is not to get up and go for a run at midnight, right, the solution is something of the same size but equal dopamine. So maybe playing a game, reading a book. I just took up embroidery, so what I don't even know this. I know it's very recent, Okay, so yeah, I bought the things first. Yeah, so find me your dopamine hitless. Maybe your your impulse spending comes from browsing farmers' markets or going to like outdoor malls or indoor wolves. I don't know if that's just still your thing. But then finding equal activities, so maybe then that is exercising or going for a walk or a bike ride. So figuring out, playing around and getting creative and seeing what works for you. Another important thing to do here is to align your stending with your season. So are you a student? Looking around, I'm going to guess not really, we're maybe in our studentshire from our throw I'm with you students, but we're all learners. We're all learning together. They really are. They should have cut off by microphones. Oh my gosh. So we're inclusive. We listen and we don't touch. Are you a homeowner? Are you married with kids? Are you married without kids? It's gonna look different. I have a husband, he's still married to me. I hope, But we don't have kids, So our stending and our wise beneficial decisions are going to look different from Jen who does have kids. And they're wilds, but they're beautiful. And I think this is where we can recognize that we can individualize our way of spending and allocating all of our resources, not just our finances, but our time and our mental capacities and our physical energies. All of it needs to kind of come together with this season that we're in and recognize that it's not gonna look the same for every person. There is no one side. It's all in the situation, but to recognize your needs, to value them, to find creative ways of meeting them, and then identify where the money can come in from there. Well, that was really fun and I still like to talk about the ways that we will spend money for love and belonging that Reddit thread. You couldn't there was too many funny ones to list on the slide of just the bizarre things people have spent money on to attract somebody they are interested in, or to make friends with a group of people they wanted to be friends with. Yeah, it's and we're talking about like the funny ones, but they're sad ones as well that we didn't talk about, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll just keep it light. When I was doing research for this this episode, before we made the decision that we're just going to inser our nerd night talk into this episode, I found there was a study that Charles Schwab did in twenty nineteen, so older but probably still relevant if I were to poke some guesses at this or They found that forty eight percent of millennials spent more than they could quote unquote afford in order to participate in experiences with friends, and I think that especially in our generation, like we do value experiences more than things, but we will still spend being Like I think we've attached a hierarchy to that, like it's better to buy experiences and have memories than to have things collecting dust on your shelf. But in reality, if it is hurting ourselves financially and we are not taking the steps to find even more beneficial ways to meet our needs, then there's no better or worse on whether or not you have things or you have experiences.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, I think it's as we get older, I think it is flip flopped. I think people are spending a lot on travel, not even to go with friends or to gain community, but for that self actualization piece to feel you know, autonomous, independent, creative, spontaneous, and all of that is really great and can be one of those ways money can buy your higher needs unless it is trying to meet all of them. There really does need to be a diversity in how you are achieving your higher needs too, because I think if we're only pursuing that this like glamorous idea of traveling and experiences, that can leave us unfulfilled as well.
Speaker 3: Ken Yeah, especially if we're only doing it just because other people say this is what you should want to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it can bring all of this you know, X y Z. But it's at the expense of deepening relationships with people or achieving things that do actually increase your self esteem.
Speaker 3: But do you know what means my highest need of creativity, spontaneity, self fulfillment.
Speaker 1: Yes, it makes me feel very self fulfilled, self actualized. The bill of the week.
Speaker 5: That's right, it's time for the best minute of your entire week. Maybe a baby was born and his name is William. Maybe you've paid off your mortgage. Maybe your car died and you're happy to not have to pay that bill anymore. Stuff bills, Buffalo bills, Bill Clinton, This is the bill of the week.
Speaker 4: Hey Jen, Hey Jill, this is Jen calling again. This is my third Bill of the week, but I had to share. I'm sure y'all have sick of hearing from me. But anyways, back in two thousand and nine, we wanted to take the kids to Disney World, so we signed up for a credit card with zero percent interest for twenty four months.
Speaker 1: We had every.
Speaker 4: Intention of paying get off in twenty four months.
Speaker 1: Well, that didn't happen.
Speaker 4: We continue to use it, and at a twenty three percent interest rate, it continued to rack up. I started listening to you guys a while back, and it lit a fire in me to pay this credit card off. My kids were six and nine when we took this trip, and now they're twenty one and twenty four. So I'm so proud to say I finally paid off that trip.
Speaker 1: Thanks Jen, way to go. I never get tired from hearing from you, because it's always good. This is such an accomplishment and a testament to how are human brains can have the best intentions, and even as fully grown adults, we still can make decisions that are opposite the things we say we want to do. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Man, I mean there's so much here. First of all, just congratulations on paying off that credit card bill. It sounds like it took a while, there were habits that intersected all of that, but it's paid for. But I think also to kind of highlight what we've also been talking about here of the reason for taking out that credit card. Not only does it look really appealing to have zero percent for a couple of years, but that only matters if we then pay it off within that time, and so that is the trap. It's why credit cards will do that because they know there's a pretty high chance that we won't pay it off and we're going to end up paying that twenty four percent interest. But the good desires that you had of having meaningful time with your kids or family, experiencing that kind of love and belonging probably met some of your esteem needs. I truly hope that it was a really lovely Disney vacation, but I think it's a good thing for us to kind of think through if I have to go into debt for this thing, is there another way for me to be able to get after what I'm looking for, that experience I'm looking to have with my family. But congratulations, thanks for sharing, Thanks for being vulnerable with us in this Bill of the week. If you all listening, have a bill that you want to share, if it's about paying off a credit card, choosing not to get a credit card, ways that you're meeting your higher needs without paying any bills. Rugal friendspodcast, dot Com, slash bill. We can't wait to hear it. And now it's time for the Lightning rep.
Speaker 1: All right, Today's vulnerability around what's your favorite way to spend on your higher needs? Has just deleted her answer. Well, now I feel like I can't say this. I will.
Speaker 3: I will tell you that I wrote travel with friends because here's the thing.
Speaker 1: I do really enjoy it. It's a good way. Yeah, And I won't even say even solo traveling for self actualization still a good way to spend money to meet your higher needes.
Speaker 3: Right, It just is you know, very classic millennial right here. But I my some of my most favorite experiences, best memories with Eric and friends truly are when we're traveling together. But I do think part of that is because of the dedicated time spent together and something that I've also been realizing, so to temper this like that still is going to be true, and I still will travel with friends, but to not tempt everyone to like go get credit cards and like pay for this thing that you think is going to provide you with an experiences. I think recognizing that that dedicated time where you can really enjoy and share a significant portion of an experience with somebody is really what I enjoy, and there are ways of getting that outside of hopping on a plane and going somewhere with people like That is also you know, renting an Airbnb for the weekend and everyone chipping in for food. That is going camping. That is spending a whole afternoon going on a hike together. That is having people over for dinner and they're hanging out for a few hours uninterrupted by a bunch of like wait staff and crowded a crowded room where you can't hardly hear people out at a restaurant. So there are other ways that I get this experience and not spend money. But yeah, I also don't mind saving up for and spending on this category as well. Yeah, what about for you?
Speaker 1: Travel is not one of my highest values, which makes me a very weird millennial. I still love to do it, It's just not something I love to do with young kids. My children, my youngest does not travel well, so it is a nightmare. So I would say, right now, I think my favorite way to spend on my higher needs. This is gonna sound really bad, but stay with me. Well, I guess it's unfulfilling work. I think I've really enjoyed being in this season where we're actually spending a lot of money in the business, which is very uncharacteristic for us, and it's really inspired creativity in me and it's given a good health healthy pressure to get more creative because we are having to justify spending this money and that has been a good We've we've been doing the kind of the same thing for a year, so it's feeling really good right now to do something that is is just the next step.
Speaker 3: Oh, I agree. The release of the book has has felt like a metaphorical release as well. Yeah, not just the physical book being out in the world, but really feeling the freedom now to pursue other things. That everything was kind of tied to the book for so long and we had obligations and responsibilities to you know, not just writing it, but marketing it and talking about it. And you'll still hear us talking about it because we're super proud of it and we think it's going to help people. Yes, but also now that it's in the world, we it's out there and we are our hands are now open to pick up something else. And where I thought that I was just going to feel so tired, I actually feel so invigorated to step into something different and the freedom of that, And like you're saying, I agree, the investment, like being willing to put money into something that you're excited about that is bringing about some of this like invigoration and creativity. Yeah, that's it's worth a lot.
Speaker 1: It's I mean, there's something to be said for spending money on stuff like this because do we have to That was always our first question. It's like, do we have to spend money on camera equipment? Do we have to spend money online? And do we have to spend money on an office? And the answer was always no, and still is no. We don't have to to make things function. But now that we have, we have sparked creativity and given ourselves like healthy pressure and time constraints to work more creatively, just like in the in the book the story, the study you reference where they were given parameters, they were able to work, you know, more creatively and innovatively. And I really believe that that is what we have given ourselves.
Speaker 3: I do think there's such a both and here which is connected to that radical middle idea that there are ways in which we can meet our higher needs without spending money, and that's true, and there are ways we can meet our higher needs through spending money, and that's true. And that's the paradox that can make this message like we're hard to deliver because it's kind of hard to grasp, like, well, which is it? And it depends, Like debt is neutral, right, and sometimes some debt is going to be more beneficial for a person and that same debt might be detrimental for a different person.
Speaker 1: In the same amount from the same amount.
Speaker 3: The same thing, Like it's yeah, uh, but it is what we're saying that like both can be true. And that's where really understanding ourselves can help us to distinguish between what is it for me? And I think that there's trial and error here, and I think it's one of the reasons why we don't have to be so down on ourselves for maybe quote unquote financial mistakes or poor financial decisions that we've made, because it helps us to find what's right for us. Yeah, we're not going to hit it one hundred percent all of the time. There were times where it was right that we were really scrappy with the business and we didn't spend on XYZ thing. And I also think it's right that we spent some money on some cool comfortable chairs to build out a video studio because it's invigorating us to create something that we think is going to really help people and also is fulfilling for us. So there are times that it's worth investing and it's times that it's worth saving.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Yeah, you look at us just growing, growing, discovering little business owners.
Speaker 3: Yes. Well, thank you all for listening so much. We hope that somewhere in this podcast episode you got something that is relevant for you and your life and that you are able to navigate the both and of your experience. And in addition to the podcast, as you know, we've written a book by what you Love Without Going Broke, and people are leaving us some really kind reviews for the book, like this one from Rosy g. It's five stars and says I've listened to the Frugal Friends podcast for years. It's like laughing with friends of her coffee in the morning and helpful. I've received an advanced copy of the book and thought, what more could I get that I don't get from the podcast. The book is like getting more serious and sharing more personal things once your armor has gone down after the laughs. It makes you really try to uncover more deeply the psychological aspects of money without the usual self reprimands and shame. That's big because shame and embarrassment is literally the definition of money for some of us. I appreciate that I could learn more about myself and money in a safe space. It also included the put into practice aspect with actionable steps that just move things forward. It's easy to read and I appreciate that recommend for anyone embarking on the journey of having healthy finances.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much, Rosie. That's so sweet. I'm so glad that we really did balance that serious versus you know, fun kind of line, and that's really what we tried to do in the book. So thank you so much much for reading, and thank you for listening. If you enjoyed this show, we would so appreciate if you would leave a rating and review on Spotify or Apple Podcasts wherever you're listening to this And if you've read the book, either from you've bought it or read it from the library, we would appreciate if you would leave a review on Amazon or good Reads. That very much helps us get the word out and not let people know potential new listeners or readers know what to expect from us as content creators.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you so much for listening, Thanks for reading, See you next time. Bye.
Speaker 1: Frugal Friends is produced by Eric Siriani.
Speaker 3: What's your favorite thing that we've bought for the business in the last six months?
Speaker 1: In the last six months, where I mean I could say my favorite thing ever is the Neon sign? Yeah, that wasn't the last thing I know about that a long time ago. My favorite thing is possibly is it the other neon sign? Wait are you? Are you like asking like I've got an answer that's correct and you have to find the answer kind of Yeah, No, just like your opinion on like, what's your favorite thing? Okay, my favorite thing that we've boughted not spy, it's the office. It's the office for sure, but also the other neon sign that we put in the window that says on air. It's also pink meon. I love that. And it's guarded by our Flamingo queen. Yeah, Queen Flamingo. She doesn't have a name. She's Flamingo Queen. She wears a crown. She and pearls and pearls and diamond and I don't know why, but here she is. Yeah, Jill, I mean I would.
Speaker 3: Agree with you on the office. But for the sake of variety, I will say these chairs.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, high up there.
Speaker 3: We we splurched, we got we got a little spendy. We were looking for chairs. We were we were looking on Facebook, Marketplace, could not find any. The right size, the right shape, the.
Speaker 1: Right color, color scheme was actually very important and comfort.
Speaker 3: And we did have a bit of a time crunch, so we gave ourselves, you know, a couple of weeks to look. But in the end we really did just need to pull the trigger. And I think we were hoping to spend like, I don't know, four hundred total, behind eight hundred total. You're telling that I am, because listen, at the very end, we're at the end. This is this is post show. These are the people who won't judging, rely love us.
Speaker 1: It was a business expense, which is still real money, which means the government. So it's fine. So it's free. They bought it for us, and thank you. We thank them for that.
Speaker 3: But it is it is perfect.
Speaker 1: And when we past with these chairs a YouTube channel, watch, yeah, subscribe on YouTube. You are about to see them.
Speaker 3: It's about to hit March third, I guess with just a few more days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we'll be announcing it officially on Tuesday, but I guess we can tell you guys now, Yeah, why not Sunday we are launching a new program, I new series.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's called the Sunday Reset, which we love because who doesn't who doesn't love the inspiration that we all need when what can happen on Sundays is the scaries. Instead, we're going to be there for you every single Sunday on YouTube with video where it's a little bit shorter of a video episode where we're going to be talking about our meal plan for the last week, so the things that we had just cooked with links to recipes so you know that we liked them and our families liked them. We're going to be talking about a money move we did that week. So some of them are going to be big, some of them are small, but hopefully all will be a little bit inspirational.
Speaker 1: Bring us forward, some of them bring us backwards.
Speaker 3: Chuse a money move might be a money failure, yeah, you know, because we're not perfect. And then a listener question. So we've already begin compiling some listener questions, but that's another way that you can be engaging with us. Have your voice heard, get some of your own questions answered is by submitting questions to us. The best way to do that at this point is through the friend letter, So Frugal friendspodcast dot com. You can sign up for the free friend letter and then email us through that.
Speaker 1: Well, don't email, well, like respond to the email because those all go to my inbox. That's a lot you're going to need. Nope, there's going to be special avenues that we're going to set up, but for right now, for right now, we've got.
Speaker 3: A question, all right, dm me, I handle the Instagram account, So follow Frugal Friends Podcast and dm.
Speaker 1: Me, I just got a lot of email.
Speaker 3: Okay, don't email jen follow me on Instagram, yeah, and I'll respond.
Speaker 1: We're going to create a channel for the questions, like I'm flying fast and loose over here. So we were not going to announce it right now, so the channel doesn't exist, but it will. It will, and in the meantime, just don't let me because our Instagram I am close to the edge. I'm trying not to lose my head. Thank you. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm excited about the YouTube series and you will be seeing it in just a few days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that is the first. That is the first YouTube series that we're hoping to start. We're hoping to add another one in a few months as well, which we're not going to dive into yet, but I think we may. Yeah, we've alluded to it a little bit.
Speaker 3: But just subscribe to our YouTube channel and you'll get alerted to search Brugal Friends on YouTube and series drop. Get ready for the first Sunday reset coming at you this Sunday. Poop poop peep, phew, see ya Bye.