Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast.
Speaker 2: Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty Armstrong and Getty and no Hee Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 3: I got a report from the USDR last night that more than fifty countries have reached out to the President to begin a negotiation. But they're doing that because they understand that they bear a lot of the tariff. And so I don't think that you're going to see a big effect on the consumer in the US, because I do think that the reason why we have a persistent long run trade deficit is these people have very inelastic supply. They've been dumping goods into the country in order to create job, say in China.
Speaker 1: One of the many Trump people that went on the Sunday talk shows yesterday to it try to explain why this isn't as bad as it might look, or the long term plan, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 2: I do know this.
Speaker 1: When we came on the air today, I took a look at the old Dow just as the uh, you know, kind of a national meter avowed the mood or whatever, and it was down I think sixteen hundred. Now like a minute ago it was down one hundred, so I don't know, you know, what's going on there. I wonder if did somebody make a phone call and say, hey, look, we're going to end this in like a week, so don't freak out.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I wonder if somebody whispered something.
Speaker 1: Let's see what happened where it is at the end of the day though, because it was a very rough start very early on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the S and P.
Speaker 4: While the nastac's actually up a little bit. The S and P is down about a quarter a point having rebounded so well.
Speaker 1: But imagine if at the end of the day the Dow ends up flatter up, what are the talking points going to be from the tariff haters at that point. One other thing, though, the Trump guy there saying people in America haven't seen any of these prices yet. One of my favorite commentators, who's a straight shooter, over the weekend said they he the way he does his Amazon basket is he regularly put stuff in the basket and like he'll get to buying it later. And he had ten things in his basket from like a week or so ago, and then over the weekend, all ten of them had gone up various amounts in price. Wow, which was surprising to me. I haven't been keeping an eye on it that closely. I don't know if you're feeling any of this or not. Do you put stuff in the basket then buy it all at once? I don't either click any click when I need it, because otherwise I'd forget, I would think. But that's not the operative question here, Katie.
Speaker 5: Oh, My save for a later list is embarrassingly long.
Speaker 2: Oh really? Oh yeah, Because I'll see.
Speaker 5: Something I'm like, oh, that's cool, and I'll put it in there, and then I checked the other day.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, wow, I need to stop yesterday.
Speaker 1: Do you ever look at it and think what was I thinking when I put that in the basket?
Speaker 5: All the time. There's a couple of tequila ideas in there.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, yeah, golf clubs. I'm not going to play golf.
Speaker 4: What's a tequila idea? I'm going to drink some. That's the only idea I've ever read.
Speaker 5: Where I've had some tequila and I think things are a good idea.
Speaker 2: And then later and I'm like, ah, drunk purchases.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, hey, at least I put them in the basket and I.
Speaker 2: Don't make them right yeah, man, if I if I still all right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, my wife is texting me right now, don't bother, honey.
Speaker 1: I know if I still drink, i'd want a breathalyzer attached to my Amazon account. You got to blow into it before I can put anything in the cart.
Speaker 2: That is such a good idea.
Speaker 4: Well, that's been proposed for your phone too, so you don't you know, booty call your ex and advisedly and that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Drunk texting in general. Right, oh oh so uh.
Speaker 4: Much more importantly, perhaps a couple of our favorite historians and thinkers, Neil Ferguson it looks like Nile. It's Neil, he's a skulk, and Victor Davis Hanson taking something like opposite sides on whether this Trump tariff thing is a good idea or not. Here's the difficulty for us and everybody on this. Nobody's really quite sure if Trump is seriously going long term isolationist because he gives he certainly says he is at times, or if that's just a posturing, a posture, a bargaining position in order to truly get more reciprocal lower tariffs in place to help US exports. Now that's the goal. It's hard to argue against. Honestly, I mean and honestly, Neil Ferguson and VDH would probably agree with each other. But I'll just give you a little of their thinking. This is Neil Ferguson. Depending on your worldview, you probably think Trump's tariff blitz is one of two things. Either, a committed protectionist is trying to make America great again by killing globalism, ending forever wars, and bringing manufacturing jobs to the US. Alternatively, an unhinged demagogue is crashing both the world economy and the liberal national order, mainly to the advantage of authoritarian regimes, mostly China.
Speaker 2: Here's what is actually happening.
Speaker 4: The American Empire that came into existence after the chaos of the thirties is being broken up after eighty years. Despite Trump's imperial impulses Greenland to Canada, Panama. He's engaged right now in a kind of wild decolonization project. Like the post nineteen forty five British labor governments. He wants to shelter domestic manufacturing in the working class behind tariffs while reducing overseas commitments, but the net result will be both economically damaging and geopolitically weakening. Americans will come to miss globalism and policing the world. They will belatedly realize that there is no portal through which the US can return to the nineteen fifties, much less than nineteen hundreds. And the principal beneficiary of this project will not be Russia but China.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know about the globalism part.
Speaker 1: I do think will come to miss policing the world, which I didn't believe your.
Speaker 2: Go why briefly if you'd like. I think we just.
Speaker 1: Benefited so much from being the one that calls the shots, way more than we realize. And when we think, when we think, oh, we need to stop you know this, who's with me? And they all say, we're not really with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Anybody who's ever gone from CEO to vice president of something or other and exactly actually like fifth on the flow chart will tell you that it's a hell of a lot better to be the CEO in a lot of ways.
Speaker 2: And we're the CEO of the world for a long time.
Speaker 1: Anyway, that says cool, You might be right, but we just can't afford to do it anymore.
Speaker 2: You might be right.
Speaker 4: It's certainly an argument worth discussing. Yeah, we can't, you know, run the treasury dry, although the way we slather money around on domestic stuff, that's what's killing the treasury anyway. It's a very very long piece, Neil Ferguson wrote, it's just the very like introduction touch on it. Victor Davis Hanson, on the other hand, who has in recent days been fairly critical of Trump at times when he thinks it's appropriate. VDH is very much an independent thinker. He frequently agrees with Trump. He says, what is the logic behind the Trump tariffs? Why are they incurring such infactive Why is he willing to take such political risks in a fashion that no prior Republican administration had dared?
Speaker 2: Let me explain, He.
Speaker 4: Says, the US has not run a trade surplus since nineteen seventy five, which is, to my horror, half a century ago. America is now nearing a one trillion dollar annual trade deficit with an ossified trade policy unchanged from a bygone era. This is something I brought up many times. But after World War Two, the US was the only major industrial power that emerged from the war not just intact and capable of settling its wartime deficits and debts, but also far stronger, both relatively and absolutely than when it had entered the war. In December nineteen forty one, recovering Europe and Asian needed massive inputs of goods and services. They were on their knees, right, yeah, I did, and so we went there. We let them go ahead and erect some tariffs so they could raise some money and also so they could get their industries up and running, because we would have just crushed them competitively for a long time.
Speaker 1: Pointing to various statistics from the early fifties right after World War Two and using those as the standard we need to get back to is just not helpful. It's it's using your honeymoon as the standard for the happiness of your relationship.
Speaker 4: Right thirty years into your marriage. Yeah, it's just wildly unrealistic. The world was decimated except for US, so, yeah, the numbers were crazy, and then quite intelligently the US. And I'm really summering summarizing once again vdh's point of view. You know, we can post the link to these you may get paywalled I love the free press. They put out a lot of great stuff. Maybe you want to subscribe. But he points out that the idea ida of helping all of these countries back on their feet so they would become thriving economies on their own and then become our customers was a very good idea, and it was very very successful, witness the rise in the standard of living of Americans over the last seventy five eighty years. But that it's, as he said, earlier policies of a bygone era you want to talk about. You can't return to nineteen fifty. Well, the tariffs of nineteen fifty or seventy or eighty shouldn't be the tariffs of today either, especially when you look at Asia they've gone from. And this is, you know, an overly broad characterization. But squatting in huts, as Jack often says in China to an economic superpower in the last fifty years.
Speaker 2: That's not very inaccurate. That's a perfectly reasonable as summary.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, subsistence farming has turned into just cities of unimaginable size and wealth. And I think it's all going to collapse before too long because comings doesn't work, and they have terrible, terrible problems. But anyway, yeah, we need a restructuring.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: On the other hand, and if EDH is right about all this, that's fine. If it's actually a long term isolationist policy high tariffs all the time will make everything in the US, that's never going to work.
Speaker 2: I just don't think it can work.
Speaker 1: It sucks if you're planning to retire. Your date for retiring was April fifth, as when I plan to retire, start pulling because you're not pulling all your money out of your forum one kay, and the day you retire obviously.
Speaker 4: Anyways, no, no ah. So a word from our friends at prize Picks. It's the best place to get real money sports action. Over ten million members, billions of dollars in award winnings.
Speaker 2: And it's super easy.
Speaker 4: All you do is just pick more or less on at least two player stat projections for a shot to win up to a thousand times your cash.
Speaker 1: Joe reading all those eras from various teams earlier. That's the sort of research people do, and then you have a strong opinion. You can turn your sports opinions into cash with Prize Picks.
Speaker 2: Just download the app. It is easy to use, which is cool.
Speaker 1: And with basketball heading into the playoffs and baseball up and run and there's plenty And hey.
Speaker 4: If you're a fan of post sports and know a lot about both of them, combining a basketball player and a baseball player in your lineup, that's fine.
Speaker 2: At Prize Picks.
Speaker 4: And if you download the app today and use the code Armstrong, you get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollars lineup. You don't have to win, it's automatic. They give you fifty bucks to play around with it. If you play five again. It's the Prize Picks app. Use that code Armstrong, Prize Picks, run your game.
Speaker 1: I do want to talk about the Minecraft movie later, which is the biggest movie of the year so far and an interesting phenomenon around it sounds really entertaining too. I was reading about it that I thought was interesting. But Jack Black's the Starvet so he was the host of Saturday Night Lived. You see the sketch of the first play.
Speaker 2: I thought that was so clever. I have none of it ever. Play You should watch that one. It's pretty funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just the idea that people are sitting there and They don't have any idea what's going on.
Speaker 2: They don't know what a play is.
Speaker 1: This is like ancient Greek or something like that, and people are out there doing their things.
Speaker 2: Like, Hey, Jim, how are you doing. You're not supposed to talk to them.
Speaker 1: Why my name is mar No, you're not, You're Jim.
Speaker 2: You're my neighbor. Why are you acting like this? That's funny.
Speaker 1: If you've never seen a play before, you would be very confused. But I want to talk about the Minecraft movie, which my son saw, and I definitely want to do this. I think Joe's absolutely going to agree with this. What Michelle Obama is said about their marriage, clearing up some of the whispers that have been out there about the Obama marriage.
Speaker 2: She is a man, as it turns out. Oh my god, wow, I pulled him over there, folks. He didn't see that. I'm coming right to the bread basket. I've seen the videos where they slow it down and you can see, oh, stop it now, he's doing it.
Speaker 1: Okay, stay with us on the way.
Speaker 7: Betty web But, one of the last surviving World War two codebreakers, has died at the age of one hundred and one. Web first deciphered Nazi communications after Hitler accidentally added her to a group chat.
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough.
Speaker 1: Got a couple of things about marriages here, which I think very interesting. First, this one, this is not good. A married Alabama high school lunch lady had been bringing a teen student home for sex. So she's forty one. She looks like every single one of these women who have sex with high school students. Why they all look exactly alike and are like above average cute? I don't know, or kind of know. I guess they're reliving their popular years or whatever well going on.
Speaker 4: And they feel their beauty and their sexual power fading anyway, so they want to exercise.
Speaker 1: Two things on this I thought were kind of interesting. One the fact that she was Nobody ever talks about the poor husband. I mean, your wife cheats on you. Brutal, absolutely brutal, no matter what.
Speaker 2: High school kid. Oh now we're in home. Now we're but at.
Speaker 1: Your own home. Oh my god, that's rough. I don't know if you can survive that. By the way, they're in Alabama.
Speaker 4: First of all, honey, why do the sheet smell of axe body spray.
Speaker 1: Or or algebra? The smell of algebra she's a lunch lady. There's two things here. There's two mitigating things here. One she's not she's a lunch lady, not a feature. And two the kid is thought to be a junior age of consent in Alabama's sixteen so she may not have broken any law. And she's the lunchuity. So does she have to go?
Speaker 4: You can't use schools as like sex hookups for anybody in any circumstance if it's a students.
Speaker 2: And all she's doing is putting out the schlop on the.
Speaker 4: Tradition out more than schlop dishing out love. Anyway, Ah, yeah, I just know you can't. You can't run it as your own personal law hook up.
Speaker 1: And then there so there's been a lot of talk about the Obama's marriage for some reason, I guess because she didn't go to the funeral. Barack went alone and there was like some other thing that.
Speaker 2: The Carter funeral.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's some other thing that they didn't show up together at.
Speaker 2: And then people like auguration, right inauguration.
Speaker 1: That's it, and and then the pictures of him with Jennifer Aniston. I don't know, but anyway, she said this, she's got a podcast. Michelle Obama has a podcast, and Barack Obama actually said this himself. He said, let me just say this about marriage. It sure helps to be out of the White House and have a little more time with her. He said, she has been very forgiving for those years where I was in the White House and I was so you know, occupied, which I'm sure is true.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: She revealed in her podcast that there was a period of time where she couldn't stand her husband. She said, for a solid decade when their daughters were young, were little. It was very difficult. And then she talked about how marriage is never fifty to fifty. There were times when it was like seventy thirty him and then sixty forty meters.
Speaker 2: Anyway, the only reason I was going to bring it up is.
Speaker 1: Like everybody I know, all my old friends have been married forever, but they they all, they all point to difficult times, like long periods of difficult times they went through in their marriages and they're still together. And I just wish more people knew that the people that you hit it mad time clearly got to blow it up.
Speaker 2: Clearly got to blow it up. We don't. It just doesn't work.
Speaker 4: As opposed to it'll come back and just you know, yeah, that's absolutely true. I'd love to see more more Hallmark movies about that.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's what they should do.
Speaker 1: There should be more rom coms where you go through a patch often when it is raising the kids, where it's difficult and you know, there's no spark and everything like that, and it seems like drudgery in a job, and then it comes back.
Speaker 4: That's what all the work and none of the fun stuff for a while. That's what the Hallmark movies should be about. That's a good one right there. Yeah, yeah, I would definitely say hang in there. I have many more thoughts on the topic, but we're up against a heard break. She should get back to that. It might be the most important topic of the day. Or we can talk about tariffs. Tariffs is much more important. Trade war jumps trade war.
Speaker 1: Imagine when the kids were young and your husband's president of the United States.
Speaker 2: It's a pretty one sided affair. I'm guessing. Oh yeah, please your roommates at best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how difficult was that? If you missed a segment of the podcast I'm Strong and Getty on demand.
Speaker 4: Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 8: We're introducing the new Tesla muggel V, the first electric car in history to be fully self vandalizing, with features like self smashing headlights, self slashing tires, and AI powered graffiti. You can choose from penises or swastikas.
Speaker 2: You know, well, my favorites.
Speaker 8: Swastikas made out of penises.
Speaker 2: Wow, swastikas the penises. We're truly the Party of Lincoln.
Speaker 1: So that is Mike Myers doing his Elon musk there with the first self vandalizing car, the test movie. Why why would you need that? Well, here we have some I haven't watched this video. Yeah, which one is?
Speaker 4: This?
Speaker 2: Is this? Eighty eight eight one h Yeah?
Speaker 4: This is a young gentleman in a suit with a uh. He's got a guy with a camera and he's asking people at some of the anti Tesla, anti Elon protests around the country, what are you actually protesting against? And somebody gets the idea, by golly, he might be critical of us, And this is how it sounded.
Speaker 2: He's anti Trump and anti Elon. Must protesters seeing what they're protesting.
Speaker 1: For protest procedure, don't film in this consent of anyone's faces.
Speaker 2: And we'd ask if you are on public property, though, so we can film. Easy, dude, you don't have our consent to do this. Don't touch me. Don't touch me. Who don't touch me? I didn't touch you for.
Speaker 6: Do you touch me?
Speaker 2: Don't touch me?
Speaker 9: Almost easy?
Speaker 10: No, don't all those around get up man, look at.
Speaker 2: Look at him, Look at him, Look at him. The microphon the freak out. Uh.
Speaker 4: That's fairly heavily edited, and we will post the video at armstrong and getdy dot com under hot links if it's not there already.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: The people he's dealing with are completely unhinged.
Speaker 2: Clearly what's elbows? What's that means? I don't know.
Speaker 4: They like put their elbows up as opposed to their arms or hands or something. But they're all acting like enraged children, utterly irrational.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they sound completely crazy. How do they not know they sound crazy? Fashions hair, You people are nuts, You're absolutely nuts.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's actually kind of disturbing in the same way that you watch a group of rioters running rampage and beating people down or whatever, because you know, there's no reasoning with these people whatsoever. There's no talking them down, there's no explaining. Look, I one hundred percent respect your right to do this.
Speaker 1: But I know, but like during the George Floyd riots, I at least understood what they were angry about. I think it was misconstrued that, you know, there is a haunt of young black men going on by police across America and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: And I'm just twisted by Marxists. But you watch that. That video was horrifying to watch it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I can understand how you get a strong emotional reaction out of that. I don't understand your strong emotional reaction about Elon in doge In hating Tesla's That makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Speaker 2: No, it's bizarre.
Speaker 1: And then we got another interview with somebody talking about being at one of the protests.
Speaker 4: This woman is an immigrant, has lived in the US for a long time.
Speaker 6: Can they be at least fifty percent of them are using airbnb? Is an Airbnb part of a dodge too? This is the most stupid group of.
Speaker 2: People I've ever seen.
Speaker 6: What Elon Musk is doing for this country is saving it, saving it so people can have social security ten years from now.
Speaker 2: Man, where are you from?
Speaker 6: I'm originally from Israel and my husband is from England. The immigrated to this wonderful country forty years ago, and we are proud American and these people are stupid.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic. Oh my god, that is really really good. Yeah, well, I don't care where you're from. It's difficult to look at the TESTO protests in particular and understand what the hell they're talking about. Can you please one again, just because I want to hear a little bit of the the sound of their voice again.
Speaker 10: Anti Trump and anti Elon must protesters seeing what they're protesting for.
Speaker 1: Protest the sdure don't film in this consent of anyone's faces, and we'd ask if.
Speaker 2: You were on public property though, so we can film. Easy, dude, you'll have our consent to do this. Don't touch me, don't touch me? WHOA, don't touch right there? Don't touch you? Do you touch me? Don't touch me? Easy?
Speaker 9: Almost easy, elbows around, get up the property man.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's enough of that. So I should have watched the video. You send it to us over the weekend, Katie. But wow, what does he look like?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 9: The guy who's going don't jush y, don't right, he's.
Speaker 5: Wearing a construction vest and a mask, and part of that video this the guy with the suit and the microphone who's trying to ask these people what they're protesting about, actually runs away from them about fifty yards and they chase him down and surround him, and it's just absolute chaos, and nobody would even allow him the opportunity to ask him why they were there.
Speaker 2: Well, all right, and to me, so they're angry.
Speaker 1: They got to be angry that he's on the other side of the issue, because if you're proud of what you're doing, and I assume you are, you're in a public place trying to attack tesselas or whatever, I would assume that you want coverage for this. I mean, you've been announcing it nationwide on a regular basis.
Speaker 5: I'm going to put the whole video up at Katie's corner. But one of the things that they did accuse him of being during this video was he was the agitator.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I just don't get why if I'm part of a protest, I want as many that's the whole protest thing. You want as many cameras there as possible because you believe you're on the right side of the issue.
Speaker 2: You're trying to convince other people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very frantic, very adolescent, very very strange vibe going on there.
Speaker 2: Like I said before, disturbing.
Speaker 1: So when they started chasing the guy, that's it's not it's that's a you hate this guy because he's on the other side of the issue. I think that's what that is. Boy, God, dang, they sound crazy. I don't know if they realize how crazy they sound.
Speaker 2: Okay, we got more in the way, stay here for hour four.
Speaker 1: On the same day, the NCAA will crown amen's basketball champion tonight. A judge in California is expected to make a ruling which will lead to fundamental changes now how college athletes are paid, which could even more disrupt the whole college athlete thing again again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, crazy. So I don't know if you heard this.
Speaker 4: At the end of last week, the Trump administration escalated campaign against American universities. That's a hell of way to put it, progressive journalist, his campaign against universities, Yeah, trying to stop them being utterly infected Marxists.
Speaker 2: This is a doctrination factory.
Speaker 1: I'm getting off track, but this is another example of them being on the wrong side of an issue most of America. Look at the polling, has no what's the word confidence.
Speaker 2: In universities anymore. You're on the wrong side of it. I know.
Speaker 4: That's how insulated and crazy the tiny percentage of Americans who make up the mainstream media are. They just have a bizarre view of this country, unrecognizable for the rest of us. But anyway, later on the article, it's a bit more fair, just because they had to report at least some facts. The administration is freezing National Institutes of Health grants to Brown and Harvard, and they've made specific demands nine actions that quote we regard as necessary for Harvard University's continued financial relationship with the United States government. Most of the demands concerned how the university operates, comprehensive mask ban, changes to governance, leadership, and admissions, and end to DEI program demanding necessary changes we made quote to address bias, improve viewpoint diversity, and end ideological capture, which feeled anti submitic harassment. According to the letter to the university, all of those ideas were absolutely you know, pillars of liberal America for a very very long time. But progressive America is illiberal. They are totalitarians. They want everybody to conform to their way of thinking. And I love the fact that we're at least trying to clean out Marxist in doctrination factories. They're really anti American in doctrination factories are universities. And on that topic, former Columbia University president Katrina Armstrong, who just retired, was she sat for a deposition at the Department of Health and Human Services in connection with the Trump administration civil rights investigation into Columbia. So she quit, but she doesn't escape civil rights, you know, law investigations because all the flaming anti Semitism. And here's where it gets unintentionally funny. Former Columbia University President Katrine Armstrong. Armstrong told the federal government on Tuesday she could not recall students calling for the destruction of the state of Israel, nor could she recall hearing of allegations that students spit on their Jewish counterparts. She didn't recall that a member of the faculty had in class described Jewish donors to Columbia as quote, wealthy white capitalists to laundered blood money.
Speaker 2: In fact, Armstrong didn't seem to.
Speaker 4: Remember much of anything about her seven month ten years interim president of the embattled Ivy League school, The Washington Freebacon obtained a transcript of the deposition. So what about student activists agitating to end Israel?
Speaker 2: Sitting here?
Speaker 4: I have, you know, no specific memory of hearing that, but I recognize the concern about that and understand that she said stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 4: Over the course of the interview, the government pressed Armstrong about her familiarity with the university's own task force on anti Semitism and whether the school had made changes pursuant to its recommendations and funding questions and that sort of thing. And she just said, over and over and over again, I have no specific recollection of that, let's see, Armstrong. Whereas when the lawyer gets her, at one point, Keviney Keviny, the the attorney for the government, said, I don't understand how you could read that in this report and not remember hearing an allegation about that a student had spit on a Jewish student.
Speaker 2: Well, you couldn't, That is the thing.
Speaker 4: She's lying, well exactly, And Keviny asked Armstrong whether she called any of the quote specific horrible things you heard from Jewish students she could not, though, she said, quote, the most hurtful things I heard were about friends no longer being friends.
Speaker 2: I'm just trying to understand, said the government lawyer.
Speaker 4: How you have such a terrible memory of specific incidents of anti semitism when you're clearly an intelligent doctor.
Speaker 2: Can you explain that to me? How do you not.
Speaker 4: Remember all these horrific specific things that happened on your campus.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I just don't recall them. Unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah again, the oh, oh, there's one more.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, one more.
Speaker 4: Asked in the deposition, what she told faculty members in the big meeting about the school's policies and there would be no changes in the mass policies.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: Armstrong said she quote did not have precise recollections of what she had said in that meeting or other meetings related in the following days. You're aware there's a transcript to that meeting, the lawyer asked her.
Speaker 2: I have understood that.
Speaker 1: She said, everybody, everybody who may be in a position where they need to lie someday, should learn from from politicians and others that making up something not true you can really get busted on saying you don't remember, not much.
Speaker 4: Anybody can do no, no, unless you lay it on too thick like this chick did, and somebody might hold you in contempt to something. But as you say, I'm sorry, I got a terrible memory. It sounds kind of familiar but not really. Yeah, what can they do?
Speaker 2: Yes, you do remember, it's hard to bust you on. Remember.
Speaker 1: The fall of prestige of the whole university thing nationwide, in particular elite universities is something I have enjoyed so much, and I look forward to it continuing for many years to come. Elon Musk over the weekend, who broke with Trump over the whole tariff thing, included because Trump's got was quoting one of his pH Harvard PhD economists who's claiming this is a good idea, which again it might be, I don't know, but Elon Musk tweeted out a PhD in econ from Harvard is a bad thing, not a good thing.
Speaker 2: So that sort of view, which.
Speaker 1: I think is kind of catching on.
Speaker 4: That's the populist view, interestingly enough, and Trump is on the other side of it, citing a Harvard PhD. That's kind of funny. Yeah, it's very hard for us to figure out whether this is a good idea or not because nobody's sure what Trump's actually trying to do. Whether it's actually just get tariffs lowered so the reciprocal tariffs are reciprocal, or if you're actually trying to restructure world trade for the next hundred years.
Speaker 2: So I haven't checked in with my daily up to the moment.
Speaker 6: Thing.
Speaker 1: WHOA, the Dow is currently down less than a point. That is something.
Speaker 2: The market has found a firm bottom.
Speaker 1: So the headlines that come out of today are going to be interesting depending on when where the market's closed, because they started in bad shape and your cable news channels were making a really big deal.
Speaker 2: Out of it.
Speaker 1: That was down almost two thousand points to start the day, and if that was going to be day three of those kind of drops, oh that was going to be the only story in America. Somehow, for some reason, it turned around a lot. And like Jim Kramer said on CNBC Today, look, the market was too hot, it was a bubble. As everybody knew, it needed to correct. It's corrected, and here's the bottom. Maybe it's that, or maybe, as Joe said earlier, maybe the Trump people said something to somebody that calmed them down.
Speaker 2: I have no idea.
Speaker 4: You had a heck of a series of headlines in the Wall Street Journal where is it.
Speaker 2: Not facts?
Speaker 4: But oh here it is Wall Street starts to speak out against Trump's tariffs. You had a couple of like super giant eight hundred pound gorilla guys whose names you might or might not know, who came out vocally for the first time against the tariffs. And Jamie Diamond, the legendary banker as well, and probably all of Trump's friends and half the members of the mar A Lago have spoken out.
Speaker 2: It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out. For sure.
Speaker 1: Well, it's wildly going up and down today and we'll see where it closes, what the news is.
Speaker 2: And again, you know, unless.
Speaker 1: You're pulling all your money out of your four to one k Thursday or today, how much difference it makes to you?
Speaker 2: Anyway?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had my wife return the lobster to the grocery store and get some shrimp, and I had to return the shrimp and get some crawdads, and then I had to return the crawdads and just buy some baitfish and go down to the pond to see what she could catch.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's quite a change in in your lifestyle in a very short amount of time, is what you're saying, Trump's trade war. You went from lobster to go into the creek and fishing, hoping to catch something, hoping to catch a.
Speaker 2: Little bluegill or a car for something.
Speaker 4: I don't know, some sort of fish, if we're lucky, some sort of panfish that can get you through the day.
Speaker 2: Right, it's not easy. How long have I got Michael trying to decide what the launch and I don't know. You don't look good. We got a minute twenty.
Speaker 1: It reminds me my son said his stomach hurt last night. And he said, it's not that I'm sick kind of stomach hurt. It's like that I ate something. Stomach hurt. And I said, okay, well let's go through it. You ate and he listed a couple of things, and he said, and I had some red vines, you know, the licorice.
Speaker 2: How many red vines do you have? Probably twenty? I said.
Speaker 1: I said, I'm not a doctor. You know, I'm not a doctor. But I think we've stumbled upon it. I think the twenty red vines are why your stomach hurts.
Speaker 4: If I ate twenty red vines, they would return to the surface in short order.
Speaker 2: If you and what are the chemicals in those?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Hey, RFK Junior? Is there anything approaching not poison in a red vine? Red dye one through thirty?
Speaker 1: What isn't it? Something like that? He bought a three and a half pound jug at the grocer's or like a big container. Anyway, we've got good stuff an hour four. THERENA could be a big change to college athletics. That makes it even harder to figure out how it's gonna survive on the day of the NCAA final.
Speaker 4: If you happen not to get our four, subscribe to the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand.
Speaker 2: You can catch up any time you like Armstrong and Getty