Speaker 1: Scenes from the G League Showcase in Orlando and the unofficial start of NBA Trade Season. I was there. We'll get into that. Also, all Star voting has been goun the five games on Monday's Christmas Day schedule, and reluctantly some more discussion about Chris Haynes and his rec league exploits in Sacramento. All that's next here on this edition of This League Uncut. Let's go Welcome to this League Uncut. In the rule of twenty four hour NBA News, this you'll lose Chris Haynes. Let's go tilling.
Speaker 2: Work's time.
Speaker 1: It's so time. This League Uncut is underway and on fire. This should be a good one. Everyone. Welcome in to the weekend before Christmas edition of This League Uncut. Mark Stein here with Chris Haynes. I am back now from the G League Showcase in Orlando. I was there all week, sadly there without Chris Haynes. The last time I was in Orlando, of course, was the Wealth Disney World Bubble in the summer of twenty twenty, when Chris Haynes and I were neighbors. Although it's so funny, man, no matter who you run into who's been at the Bubble, And this happened multiple times. When I saw people from the Bubble at this event, it's like they know the number of days they were there. To the tea, it's like, yeah, I was there fifty four days. Guy I was talking to Yeah, I was there one hundred and one days. I think I checked with you. You you hit me back in about five seconds, like everybody remembers to the second how long they were there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's still too soon for me. Seven for me, it's still yeah, it was one o seven for me. Yeah, still too So.
Speaker 1: What are you gonna do if TNT has not sent you to Orlando?
Speaker 2: Since No, And I actually got my schedule because you know TNT usually sends me my sideline schedule. They go in increment, so they'll go to you know, they'll send me a schedule in late September October games through January games, so a couple of days ago. I just got my January through the rest of the season. No Orlando. I get close, though, Stein, I get close. I'm in Miami around April, around spring break time.
Speaker 1: Your favorite number one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh man, I got a Thursday game, which means, you know, I'll fly.
Speaker 1: When that When is that?
Speaker 2: I think it's like April second. Oh wow, April April, I believe. Hold, I'm looking at it right now. It is actually six ers at Miami April fourth, Thursday night game. And so you know, Stein, you know, usually i'll fly in Wednesday and you leave first thing in the morning Friday morning after after that Thursday game start. I think I'll probably leave Sunday night, you know. I think I'll hang around. I'll hang out over the weekend and start. No rush, no rush again.
Speaker 1: I thought I thought, I thought you met you were gonna fly in the Sunday night before.
Speaker 2: No, No, I still fly. Wife a counna, let me stay that long? Why I leave, leave the day before the game on a Wednesday, But I get the weekend. I'll get to hang the week hang the weekend in Miami.
Speaker 1: Ties and losses.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's where it is, your.
Speaker 1: Favorite slogan from twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: But Stein, she's she's actually going to We already already talked about it. The family is going to join me up there in Miami, so they'll probably get there Friday, stay the weekend.
Speaker 1: Hey, your two older daughters can just fly in from Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Yeah, quick trip. I remember when I was trying to work my way up in this profession. Uh, you know, I told my wife. I explained, like, you, babe, you gotta like, you have to be willing to take a job whatever, if you feel like that job is going to take you to the next level, you gotta be you know, you gotta be just be flexible. Miami was the only stop that she would not do under any circumstance. Really yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So she's not a big she's not She's not the Miami fan that you are.
Speaker 2: Then, not at all, not at all. And I don't think it has anything to do with Miami. She just believes the how should I say this, Uh, that is not family centered Miami. She she believes that she believes family has attributes and elements that could fracture a family. So that was one of the places that it was just a no go. So it's like.
Speaker 1: Stead you delivered Cleveland.
Speaker 2: It ended up working out. She wanted to get back to California. So it's funny, stock can I tell I told her Sty, I was like, you know, I'm a beat writer. I'm like, Mabe, if I want to be national, like they might send me to Miami for a national job, to go to ESPN or Yahoo, whatever you say. I gotta turn those national gigs down, she said. If you want to stay married, yes, you gotta turn those national gigs down. So I thankfully, I'm thankfully that it never got to a scenario where I had to choose. I think I would have I think I would have chosen right. I think I would have chosen the family sty but I didn't want to be in that predicamous star.
Speaker 1: All right, before you get into any more Christmas weekend trouble, this is the idea of this. We're recording this on a Friday afternoon, so it will drop hopefully Friday evening, and the hope is that this podcast will be in your possession if you want to listen to it traveling somewhere this weekend, if you're headed to some sort of Christmas gathering and you want some NBA accompaniment on your travels. Hopefully this will fill the void. Obviously, Monday, the NBA's annual five game Christmas slate gonna have to compete with a three game NFL schedule, which is probably not gonna go great for the NBA TV ratings. Wise, but it is a pretty strong assemblage of games. We will come back to this at the end, but just to remind you of what awaits on Monday, Milwaukee at New York is the early game. Warriors at Nuggets, the defending champions from Denver. They get a home game on Christmas. That's the spoils of winning it all. Nikola Jokic gets a home game on Christmas. Celtics at Lakers, the league's oldest rivalry resuming on this holiday. Sixers at Heat, Miami at home on Christmas without Chris Haynes, and then the late game, the nightcap, two teams that do not like each other, Mavericks at Suns. But the Mavericks have a really long injury list. No Kyrie Irving, no Derek Lively, no Josh Green, no Moxie Kliba. They've been without those guys, the latter two for a while now. And you know, look, we don't have a we don't have an official status report yet for Christmas. That's still a couple days away as we're taping this. But the mass have been playing shorthanded for seemingly weeks, and of course, Bradley Beal made his long awaited return from back issues. Played one game alongside Kevin Durant and Devin Booker, and Beale suffered an unfortunate ankle twist that's going to keep him out of the Christmas showdown. But like I said, we will get back to We will get back to the Christmas games. At the end, we will circle back to that. Look, it's trade season now. Once December fifteen hits and we're a full week beyond that. Now, that's kind of the sound the alarms that trade season is underway. Doesn't mean a deluge of deals starts, but certainly it puts eighty plus players who were signed in the summer they become trade eligible, teams start talking trades more seriously. The trade deadline is February eighth. And I was just in Orlando for the G League Showcase, and you know, everybody, it's so funny.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: One of the our tourists, Carnichiavus, was there for the Bulls, and I just felt like every time he got up out of his seat wherever he was going. To me, maybe maybe it was just maybe it was just my impression, but it just felt to me like eyes were riveted to wherever our tourists was going and to to kind of pay attention to whoever he was talking to, because obviously the Bulls are on that list of teams that everyone knows they want to be active. The Bulls do want to find a workable trade for zach lavine. To this point, they haven't found much of a marketplace for zach lavine. But to me, I think Chicago, Toronto again just like this time last year, Utah, Atlanta. Those are four teams that I think everyone around the league is expecting to be active, and we start with those teams because you know, it's it's a challenge on some levels to try to identify your sellers this far away from the deadline, because, as we've seen in the play in tournament era, teams can talk themselves into the idea that they don't need to disassemble and don't need to go the seller route, and that they're not that far away from being in the playoff mix. It obviously, the play in tournament, the play in slots keep the playoff dream alive for more teams, and so that's why it tends to take certainly why in recent years since the play in tournament came to be it's it usually take closer to the deadline to make things happen. But you know what, last season, we saw a couple January trades. The Lakers obviously made the Ruy Hachamura trade in January last season. So I do think we will see some action. And you know, as I said, I think I think the focus really starts with those teams that you know, all under five hundred, and you would you would, you would put them in the disappointment category. All those teams, even Utah had higher aspirations than what we're seeing from those teams now record wise, And I think you've you've talked about it as well. The Jazz is certainly a team that you know, they their phones are going to be ringing a lot here over the next six seven weeks for sure.
Speaker 2: I mean those are teams, those teams you identify, for sure, those are teams that most people would put into the sellers category. But you know, Chicago definitely Levine. You know, I would be very surprised if Lavina is still a member that roster by the time the trade deadline passes. But style, what do you think, you know, Chicago's been playing well, you know since Lavina has been out. They've kind of findru found a stride. They just recently beat the Los Angeles Lakers. They've strung together, I bleed three wins in a row. They've they've had a stretch and they're right there. As of right now, they're in with the eleventh spot, but you know, they have more wins than Atlanta, which is in the tenth spot, and they're just what a game and a half behind, Well, there are two games and a half behind Indiana, who has the A spot. So it's they can they can be right in it. You know, it's it's all. All is not lost. As far as the Bulls season this year, I know they got off to a terrible start of this year kind of you know, got them in this hole. But I think the season for the Bulls is still very much salvageable. I want to I want to see, you know, what they can do with this roster, and it seems like it's a it's a it's a roster that's sharing the ball a little bit more. Kobe White has more of a role on the offensive end. He's shooting the ball lights out. I want to say, like in the last three weeks or so, he's number one and three pointers made, and so they found they found something right here. And I think maybe if they you know, if they did well. If they did, I think I will go and say when they trade Levine, it'll be interesting to see it.
Speaker 1: What. Wow, You're you're that sure because I'm I mean, it's funny. I'm not like I am not because I actually think that they're seven and three since Zach Levine went to the sideline, and I think that makes their job even harder to try to find a trade for him, because you know, he has this massive contract and he's regarded as an offensive first player, and so like Philly keeps being mentioned as a team that interested in Zach Lavine. That is still not the vibe that I get in my conversations at the showcase. You know, the distinct vibe I got is that the Sixers are still, if they're going to do something this season, the Sixers are still in the market for a two way player, and Zach Lavine does for all of his offensive gifts, does not fall into the classification of two way player. And Sacramento another team that is often linked with Zach Levine, you know, the Kings, they need to you know, I think Mike Brown is always thinking about how do we improve our defense? I mean that is we The Kings had the best offense in the league last season. Now their offense has not clicked to that standard this season, which has been somewhat surprising to me. And I'm you know, I think that is a concern. The Kings at their best have been excellent. But you know on this Friday that we're we according the Kings had the eleventh best offense in the league. You would expect them to be way higher, but the Kings are in the bottom ten defensively. They're twenty second defensively, and I think to be a serious factor in the playoffs, they've got to be a lot closer to the middle of the pack. And so is making a big swing for zach Lavine and taking on the huge money that adding zach Lavine's contract would represent. When you know this summer they want to resign dearon Fox, that's going to be a hugely expensive deal because Fox has a great chance to make all NBA again, and if Fox does, that's that's a five year deal that approaches two hundred and fifty million. Are the Kings really going to trade for zach Lavine when they have defensive issues as it is. So, you know, I think that's why there is so much curiosity and why kind of tracking our tourists in the gym was a sport unto itself. During the showcases that you know, the bulls, it's known they want to move Levine, but way or who who out there is gonna step up and take that contract now? And of course the Lakers are are frequently mentioned, and you know, is that is that a real connection or is that simply everyone connecting dots because they know zach Lavine is represented by Rich Paul. And there's this assumption that Rich Paul recently spoke to that you know, everybody thinks that zach Lavine's gonna end up a Laker because of Rich Paul, and I to me, it's by no means that simple. So your supreme confidence on this has me curious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. I just don't think it's going to work out. Like I don't. I think Chicago has found something. And you have to remember when when when Levine was still playing and active, you know, there were there were problems with shot distribution. You know, they that locker room was a It was a bit of a mess. Remember you know the what it was, it the the players only meeting right after the first game. So there there's always been kind of issues behind the scenes. And so I just I can't see a scenario. I'm sorry, st I can't see a scenario which he would be he would still be a bull past the deadline. And I know there still hasn't been a team that identified. And let me say this too. You mentioned Philly they're in they're looking for a two way player. So is Cleveland Cavaliers. So keep keep the Cavaliers in mind that that's a team right now that's still looking for that three and D type player. That's that's been that's that's been an area of of dire concern or lack of lack of I should say. And so you know, keep eye on Cleveland. But yeah, I don't see it.
Speaker 1: With well, you know, you you mentioned Cleveland. Let's talk Let's talk about that real quick, because you know, that was another discussion topic this week at showcase that you know, the Calves have lost Garland and Mobley to fairly long term injuries, and that immediately sparked a wave of assumptions around the league that you know what, the Calves might just go ahead and trade Donovan Mitchell. This thing is not working out. The signs would appear to suggest that Mitchell does not want to be there in the long term. Maybe the Calves would trade Donovan Mitchell sooner rather than later to avoid being in a position where, you know, if he doesn't extend in the summer, and I don't think there's a great expectation that he would. He'd be entering the last season of his deal next season. But then then our colleague at Yahoo, Jake Fisher, he came out with a report this week during showcase and according to Jake's reporting, the Calves are adamantly against trading Donovan Mitchell at this point. And you now telling me that what you're hearing the Calves want a three and D player. That would seem to support that notion if the Calves are looking for upgrades to try to strengthen the cast they currently have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they believe they're getting Evan Mobley back this season. They're still as of right now, people I've talked to over there, they're still very much have a lot invested into this season. So I've heard similar I haven't heard anything pertaining to the Calves being interested or thinking about moving Donovan Mitchell at this juncture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no question. And look, the reality is after last season's playoffs, the Calves were a fifty one win team. It's the best team they've had without Lebron James in thirty years. And then to lose in five games in the playoffs in the first round to the lower seeded Knicks was a very meek playoff showing in coaching circles. I reported this on Monday. You've heard it for a while now that the way last season ended, coupled with Donovan Mitchell's contract situation, it really put JD. Bickerstaff under as much pressure as any coach in the league. But I think that these injuries have eased some of that pressure because the Cavs assembled this four man core Evan Mobley, Jared Allen, Darius Garland, Donovan Mitchell. Now there's plenty of debate about the wisdom of that and how the pieces of fit, and whether Donovan Mitchell and Darius Garland are if the backcourt's big enough for both of them, and you know, we can talk about all those things, but the reality is they assembled that core group with high aspirations, and if two of the four players aren't available, that has to ease things on the coach and almost certainly has to cause a rethink in terms of expectations. Although initially the Calves have responded to the injuries pretty well here and you know they've they've actually been playing a little a little bit better without two of their main guys in the short term. But is that really more than a short term boost. You know, only they can prove it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think overall Stein what you're saying, you know, with the g again, we mentioned we've we've touched on this about December fifteenth, that's usually when the trade season officially starts. So, based off of your conversation and your the conversations you've had, do you have a sense on if there would be a fury of trades? Do you have that sense that it's going to be really chaotic or rather a subdue type of trade season.
Speaker 1: It's probably not the answer you want, but I think it's too it's honestly too soon for that forecast. Like I think we're you know, we're still trying to figure out again because you know, and even identifying those four teams I mentioned, that's actually probably a lot at this juncture, you know, with the with the trade deadline this far out the fact that we can say we know Chicago is looking to move Zach Lavine Toronto. It's a little bit harder to pinpoint the raptors exact intentions as always, but around the league, og Anobi's headed for free agency, Pascal Siakam's headed for free agency, Gary Trent Junior is headed for free agency. So naturally teams around the league are going to look at that three pending free agents and say there's got to be a trader too. That's a natural conclusion to leap to Utah. Both you and I have been reporting about just the Jazz. You know, last year, the Jazz were super competitive. After trading Gobert and Donovan Mitchell away, the Jazz coming off that expected to be in the five hundred range as a team, and you know, do better this season than they did last season, and they've fallen short of that standard. And that's just led to you know, they've got a number of players available. Jordan Clarkson is considered available. Kelly Olynyk, I think is someone who would likely be on the move the Salt Lake Tribunes. Andy Larson reported that the Jazz are already open to trading John Collins and he just got there. And you know, I reported about a week ago that teams are going to test Utah's resolve when it comes to Lowry Marketen. I don't know that they'll be successful in prying him away. I think you can infer after the insane price tags that the Jazz established for both Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell, it would take a lot, a lot to get Lowry Markinin away from the Jazz. But it's been stressed to me that there are a couple teams out there that are gonna try and see how committed the Jazz are to keeping him. Market In is on a team friendly contract and all the signals have been that the Jazz are very happy with him and very high on him. Market In himself gave an interview to Sam Amtt from The Athletic and made it clear he wants to stay in Utah. But Lowry marketIn has a lot of fans around this league after his All Star breakthrough last season, So I think again, I think there will be a team or two or three that between now in February eighth, try to see if Utah would listen. Like I said, I think the expected high price tag works against the notion of a trade. But Utah woke up on this Friday eleven and eighteen, and they weren't expecting that. They were expecting a better record than that. And yes, Utah has had a lot of injuries as well, although a long long list of injuries did not prevent them from handing Detroit it's twenty fifth loss in a row. The Pistons from two to one to two and twenty six. I mentioned Atlanta as a team that I think they are also expected to be in the trade mix here. You know, they talked Clint Capella deals and DeAndre Hunter deals during the offseason. I think the Hawks are likely to expand the potential trade possibilities over the next six to eight weeks. And I guess we should probably throw the Pistons in there too, because I mean two and twenty six, Like, we really haven't talked much about the Pistons, but how do you lose twenty five games in a row in the NBA and their schedule coming up now is so brutal when you can't beat a severely week in Jazz team at home, where is that win coming from. I mean, this is a team that wanted to compete this season. They didn't trade Boyon Bogdanovich and Alec Burks. They didn't trade these guys because they wanted to have vets on the team for Cad Cunningham's return, because they thought they were going to be making a run at the play in spots, at least in the East. They spend thirteen million a year on their coach. I mean, Detroit is just that is that is a crazy story.
Speaker 2: So you look at that roster and the youth movement that they're in, and you mean to tell me the expectations that Detroit was going to continue for a playing spot.
Speaker 1: I think that's what they thought. Yeah, I mean why didn't If they didn't, why, I mean, why did they keep Bogdanovitch. I mean teams have been trying to acquire Boyon Bogdanovich from from the Pistons going back to the early parts of last season, and the consistent word has been the Pistons put a really high price tag on Bogdanovitch because they want They didn't want to just lose them. They wanted they wanted to have. They thought they were going to be a team that was in the mix for the ninth or tenth seed in the East. They did not expect to be two and twenty six. Wow, when you're next Detroit game? Is that on the schedule?
Speaker 2: I don't think TT is putting the troil schedule anytime soon, man, TT, or ESPN for that matter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Man, the Wizards. You're five and twenty two, running away from the Pistons.
Speaker 2: The Wizards got got a big win, big win in Portland, Portland and Portland, and you're looking at some of the bottom feeders of the of the league, Wizards, Detroit, Portland, San Antonio. God, what is the do you know? It's off top of your hand, Steve. What's the most the team has lost consecutively?
Speaker 1: Yeah, twenty six air on the doorstep now that So they got the calves the year after Lebron and in twenty twenty ten eleven, and the processed sixers in twenty thirteen, fourteen, twenty six in a row. So we are recording this on a Friday afternoon, I believe tonight. Let me double check this while I'm looking at it.
Speaker 2: Check this time.
Speaker 1: Is it tonight or tomorrow? Detroit has a Basically, Detroit has a road game at Brooklyn to avoid tying the streak, and then they got Brooklyn at home to avoid number twenty seven. So a home and home with the Nets is all that stands in the way of the Detroit Pistons setting the NBA's single season record for defeats. And it is tomorrow. I just looked the schedule. So Saturday night Pistons at Nets, that is to avoid lost number twenty six. Then the teams come right back and play in Detroit on the day after Christmas, So the Pistons desperately need to win one of those two games. After that, the Pistons are at Boston home to the Raptors. Then a four game Western Conference road trip Houston, Utah, Golden State, Denver. Then they got the Kings at home. Finally, on January tenth, the Pistons have the Spurs at home.
Speaker 2: Okay, there you go.
Speaker 1: January tenth, though, feels a long way away Detroit.
Speaker 2: Right there you go, there's a win.
Speaker 1: Well, so you seriously, this whole week, this whole week, you weren't at home going. Man, I'm jealous. Stein's at the showcase. He's stocking GMS, he's trying to get gossip. He's in beautiful Central Florida. You weren't. You didn't have any fomo.
Speaker 2: Again, if the showcase was where it should have been, which is Las Vegas. If it was there, I would have we would have reunited. But no, I had no aspirations. Again, if that's the first one, that's the first one I missed in a while. I just Orlando just didn't do it for.
Speaker 1: That, but you, because I think you only started going when it was in Vegas. I've covered the showcase. I've covered the showcase in Boise, Idaho. I've covered the showcase in orem Utah, covered the Showcase in South Padre Island, Texas. I've covered it in Santa Cruz, which is it would have at least been drivable for you. I've covered it and I've covered it in Mississauga, Ontario, which I loved because that meant staying in Toronto.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Toronto. Would I have done that. I had just become I think a national reporter at that time when it was in Toronto. I think I just missed it, But I would have did Toronto. Well, Toronto and the what is it like over there in December style.
Speaker 1: A frosty I love it. Were you at the Toronto? Were you at the All Star Game in Toronto?
Speaker 2: It was the worst All Star game in the history of All Star games. That you know, when I'm talking about the weather, talking about weather only. I did not go outside, not one time unless I was going to cover cover one of the events at the at the Arena.
Speaker 1: I was so happy to be in Toronto that I didn't care how cold it was. I loved it. Oh, it's funny. I think I told you this. I was working I did that All Star Game for ESPN Radio. So I was working with PJ Carlissimo, who of course previously coached in Toronto. And PJ had so much juice that somehow there would be someone to escort us from the court to some walkway that I didn't even know existed. So we could, we could, we could, we could escape, but stay inside. So PJ had all the hookups. PJ, PJ not and what he's famous for his restaurant. It's like, you know how much I love restaurants, but PJ Carlismo makes me look like I don't even like to eat out. He takes restaurants so seriously and it's always it was always fascinating to work with him because no matter how late the game ended, somehow he had a place that would stay open to serve us. You know, it could be midnight any city, but PJ had a PJ had the hookup for us to get dinner at midnight, twelve thirty, whatever it was. That is a man who cares deeply about his dining.
Speaker 2: That's a man who's built solid relationships as well, because it takes rest most important relationships forget forget NBA relationships. You know, culinary very much important. You know how big on food.
Speaker 1: People away people, People who ask me, they'll say, don't do you have a favorite team, And I'm like, I root for hotels and restaurants.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He stein give a shout out you hooking me and a wife up at the restaurant in Dallas. Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Chris Haynes, Chris Haynes and Missus Haynes were in Dallas the night before the recent Lakers Mavericks game, and I sent them to one of Dallas's most historic dining institutions, Bob Steak and Chophouse, the original Bob Steak and Chop House. And my sources say that the Haynes family had a very nice meal that night.
Speaker 2: Very very nice, it was. It was tremendous, great service. The man himself, the owner himself, your.
Speaker 1: Guy, Bob sample legendary restaurateur in Dallas. He opened that this is actually this this year was the thirty year anniversary of the original Bob's opening in Dallas. And yes, it is a if you are a steak fan, it is a wonderful, wonderful experience. And you know what, if I wasn't attending a high school soccer game that night, I would have been there with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I was cool. He came and introduced himself and everything. So we made sure we gave a proper tip up on leaving Steyn. So now we had a we had a good experience. Appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Next time you're back in Dallas, We're going together because that's the thing is, like I was, so we barely saw each other on that trip, and we really you were running around TV duties and I don't know, we just we didn't we I mean, we really should have tried to do a pod together, but we just we got no time to hang out.
Speaker 2: We actually did do a pod the day of the game.
Speaker 1: That's when we had That's right, Yeah, we we had, we were we should have physically done it. Yeah, we interviewed Jamal Mosley in the morning, but we need we needed to do the next time we're in the same city. We got to do a side by side pod of some sort.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll have to. Unfortunately, I have the good The good news is that I have two more Dallas games on the schedule in February. The unfortunate part about that is both of those are at the other team's home Dallas at Brooklyn, Dallas at New York in February, back to back. So we'll try to We'll try to heyl All Star Weekend Star. You'll be there. Indian Indianapolis correct.
Speaker 1: Still under deliberations. I love Indianapolis, but I'm working on I'm working on something else that I'm I can't say too much about yet, So we'll see. We'll there's a there's Like I said, I love Indie so I definitely want to be at that All Star Game, but I still got some stuff to figure out.
Speaker 2: In the new year. I'll just do it.
Speaker 1: Chris Haynes is going to help us figure out who the all star starters should be at guard because there's like seven guys for two spots. So Chris Haynes, he's got the magic formula to help us, Right, you know exactly what.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I have a magic formula.
Speaker 1: But I'll say no, I'm kidding. I know, I know you don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, but I'll say it is definitely a conundrum, particularly in that Western Conference. Think about this time. They're each year, you can already pencil in, forget pencil in, you can ink in, you know, permanent marker in a few names each year West or East. East is usually Yannis, Joel and b for the last few years, like just use a permanent marker, put their name in as starters. The West is usually a couple names each year Lebron James permanent marker. The other name Stephen Curry permanent marker. Now I will I believe that those two will still be permanent marker status. But should they that is the question. Let's talk about the guards in the West, right, Wow, this is a tough one. Go to State Warriors currently number eleventh in the standings, right Andy, But let's go up above in the standings. Let's start in Minnesota, number one in the NBA, best record in the NBA, Anthony Edwards having a great year. Some would argue that he deserves an All Stars started spot just being number one seed, being the best player on that team and the leap that he's taken. All right, let's go number two. Who's the number two? And who's number two? In extend that that would be the Oklahoma City Thunder And we know that's Sga Shay having a great year again number two, top what four and scoring maybe top three on the off top top of my head, but he's averaging thirty. All right, Let's go down number four seed Sacramento Kings de Aaron Fox averaging thirty this season. The Kings are having a phenomenal year. The Aaron Fox MVP discussion, early MVP discussion. Great year. Go down to the Dallas is you know, fall into number six. They're on a two game losing street. But number six, Luka, Dakich, Luca, come on now, I mean in go down to number nine the Devin Booker Phoenix Suns. So what I'm saying is what I'm saying is this I I still do believe Lebron James and Stephen Curry and probably and Luca. I should have put Luca. I think Luca's permanent, permanent market status. But god, Lee, that's that's that's that's tough on guys like Shay Dearn, Anthony Edwards, Dearon Fopp. You know I said Deern missing like I'm missing somebody else real quick. You know, Lucas should be in I don't know, so star, I'm not. I don't mean to put you on the spot because I am not in any I'm not in the place to say who should or who shouldn't be in it, because this is a you know, the All Star starters. You know it's a popularity vote, but you know, definitely you want to see the guys who deserve to get those spots. You want to see them rewarded. Do you feel like this season is any different from all the other years where it seemed like guys are going to get I don't want to say screwed, because I think all those guys will end up being reserves. But is this is this out of ordinary where you got this many guys that probably should be starters over somebody who's known to be permitting permittent market status.
Speaker 1: I actually think this is the new reality because then I just looked at the East and I feel like it's the same, and it's just, you know, one of the things stats, the stat lines that players are putting up in the modern NBA are so gaudy. But yeah, like you know, you asked. You started by asking that where they should they? And it's just you know, and then you you raised the same point that I was gonna raise. I never want to say should they on starters, because that's the fans choice. The fans get to see who they want to see. I mean, you could argue that if we're gonna make this about statistics and teams success to this point, it's hard to see how Shay and Luca wouldn't be the two starters. But I think you're absolutely right. Stephan Curry is going to win the starter vote and Luca generally does pretty damn well in the starter vote as well, So it wouldn't surprise anyone if Steph and Luca were voted in as the West starters at GUARD. But yes, Shay Gildes, Alexander Luka, Doncic, Stephan Curry dearon Fox Anthony Edwards, Devin Booker. I mean is it is a crowd, a big crowd. But then you look at the you look at the East and you see the same thing. I think Tyrese Halliburton and Jalen Brunson have they have definitely earned All Star spots. Now are they going to get voted in as starters? That remains to be seen. But I think both of those guys are playing better than ever. They've both gone to a new level. But in the East, you know, is Jimmy but you're classified as a guard or a forward? Maxie has been great, Jalen Brown is he classified as a guard or a farward? Donovan Mitchell is in there, Trey Young is still there. And then there's this guard in Milwaukee named Damian Lillard, who I think you know fairly well. So even in the East there are a zillion guard candidates. I just think whom I who'd I leave out?
Speaker 2: Let's see if it'll come to you, Okay, I'll just I'll just say.
Speaker 1: It didn't I say, I said, Trey who, Donovan Mitchell? Who who am I leaving out?
Speaker 2: The leader in assists in the league?
Speaker 1: Halliburton, I already said hallib he's not the leader in assistant Yeah, I hear O. Yeah, Halliburton and Brunson were my first two guys.
Speaker 2: Oh, you said Tyres So I thought you meant Maxy.
Speaker 1: No, Tyrese. Halliburton and Brunson. I think would would be the starters if we based it on the combination of statistics and team success, but not necessarily Maxie.
Speaker 2: Hold On, you said what you said, Halliburton and.
Speaker 1: Maxie Haliburton and Brunson Haliburton, and.
Speaker 2: You think those would be the two stars based off a team success and statistics.
Speaker 1: And and and stats.
Speaker 2: Hold on here, hold on here. Milwaukee was number two in the East. Don Yeah, Dan Dame? Are we looking at James Dame? The only persons the only person scoring? Dames outscoring Brunson. He's outscoring Maxie by a small margin right now. Who and he has to share the ball with more players than a Bruntson.
Speaker 1: Or MAXI so you did notice, though, when I did the whole list, I worked up to that to your guy at the end. That was dramatic.
Speaker 2: Listen, those are definitely these guys are definitely worthy candidates. If I had to vote right now for the starters on I would put probably it's hard. It's you know, Halliburton, the Pacers. They've been struggling post the n season tournament, so it's hard as of right now, it's hard to take Halliburton out of the equation. I would go Halliburton and Dame. I think, like, come on, Milwaukee's.
Speaker 1: Number, and I would imagine even though he switched conferences that Dame is still going to have a very powerful sway on voters when it comes to All Star starters. He's an immensely popular player even though he's in a new city for the first time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, right right now is still early. I would probably go Halliburton and Dame. But again, Indiana and Halliburton have struggled post in season Turner.
Speaker 1: Mean, if we're gonna say it's Dame, I would actually go Dame in Brunson because if we're going to make team success the issue. The Pacers did have the Cinderella to the in season tournament final, but they've struggled coming out of that, and as of Friday, entering Friday's play, the Pacers are only a game over five hundred. So, you know, again, Halliburton and Brunts, it to me maybe the better way I should have put it is I think they have both been kind of story of the season contenders to this early juncture through Christmas, and they've both taken a leap. I think both those guys have taken a late But certainly, if Dame is a starter and one of those guys is just elected as an All Star reserve, it's no big thing. I think both Haliburton and Brunson will be All Stars this season, and for Brunson it will be a first time All Star. But yeah, I mean Dame has.
Speaker 2: Been I gotta show the if Halliburton, like, if they continue on this trend. Next up, in my opinion, it's Tyres MAXI.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Maxi's right there.
Speaker 2: He's right there. Philadelphia's number three. You know, they're a game and a half behind the Bucks for number two. You know, again, if we're talking stats and team record, if you know, those are the big you know, if that's what we're really looking at right there, it's hard to dismiss Maxie. So you know, I mean, look, I do you know when I when I'm evaluating, you know, I definitely look at stats and and all that and try to look at the different you know, look at advanced stacks and different metrics. But you know team standings where they're at Philadelphia, I don't I don't necessarily look at storylines like they got rid of James hard And and Maxie. No, I'm looking at Maxie's been playing his ass off man. Maxie. He's a start. So there's a there's a there's a long jam with guards as well. But I do think through it all, we're just talking about starters. You know, no need to get all up in arms for people listening, because I do think all the guards that we're mentioning, I think they will make the.
Speaker 1: Star I think there there won't be room for all these guys. Like team success, the team success thing, the team success thing, that's a conversation when we're picking reserves. You know, that's something that the coaches look at for starters. You know, fans should be picking the players they want to see the most. And you know, I'm never gonna quibble with how the starters turn out. But again, in the West, Steph s g A, Luca Fox, Anthony Edwards, and Devin Booker, are all of those guys gonna make the All Star Team? Maybe in the East, No, maybe in the East but in the East. In the East, Dame Halliburton, Brunson, Maxie, Jimmy Butler, we got to decide if he's a garter forward. Jalen Brown, we got to decide if he's a garter forward. And Trey Young. I mean there's there's a I mean it is. I don't know if there's gonna be room in the West.
Speaker 2: I can't see any of those guys in the West that you mentioned being excluded in the East. Yes, there will be a few, all right, before we go to Garden? Is he a garden in Chicago? That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I mean that to me is the modern game. The modern game is there there are so many players, crazy stat lines. It's gonna be hard to make room for everyone. And that's why you know we're still twelve man rosters for the All Star Game. It's a thirty team league. Now we're probably gonna have expansion in a few years and the league's gonna grow to at least thirty two teams. Should should the rosters at twelve?
Speaker 2: Yes it should, Yes, it should, Yeah, it should, Yes it should.
Speaker 1: What's gotten into you've become You have become the you've become the No. I'm just you've become the old head traditionalist, resistant to change guy on this podcast. When did that happen?
Speaker 2: We don't need to keep making awards and making a like stop it. Like everybody this, you know what I teach my kids this. Everybody. Everybody doesn't get the job. I'm sorry when you step into the real world.
Speaker 1: Okay, but and I get that. And look, I'm usually the stubborn traditionalist who never wants to change anything. But the nineteen eighties. I mean, I started loving the league in the seventies, but the nineteen eighties was when the NBA became an obsession for me. It was a twenty three team league throughout my high school days, and it was still a twelve man all star team. They've added seven teams since then, and rosters are now eighteen deep with three two ways, so they've added almost one hundred players. And again, we're gonna have expansion eventually that makes the league even bigger. So we just keep the all star roster at twelve forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, listen, that's not something I'm so high up on. Like, Okay, give it each team three extra spots, that's fine. I'm not so high on that. But I'm just come on now, stop it. Stop it with the participation trophy, Era, Like, I don't want to see too much of it. Let's compete, please.
Speaker 1: If they give if they give you some kind of trophy for your rec league, I bet you'll take it.
Speaker 2: Fir. I'm glad you. I'm glad you came up with that excellent segue. So, as you know, we're in the final four tomorrow morning, Stein, at nine to twenty tomorrow morning. And as we're doing this pod right now, Stein, my parents just came into the house. They're here for Christmas, so I told them, in order to stay here for the weekend, it's mandatory that they attend my game in the morning. So we're in the final four. Game is at nine to twenty. If we win that game, we play the championship at noon. I am ready. I've been battle a little a thumb spring, a little thumb, my right thumbs a little swollen, so I've been nursing it and get treatment all week. And I'm ready, Stein, I'm ready, ready.
Speaker 1: Ready for the y You're ready, You're ready for the double teams.
Speaker 2: They're coming. But you know what, Stein, you gotta trust your teammates. I prepared them, I put them int situation so in the games, Stein, I can take over and get my shot whenever I want to, but I always start the game trying to get my teammates involved. I want it's still confidence in them, to let them know that not only do I believe in you, but I trust that you're gonna take and make that shot and if you don't miss it. I used to be I'm a hot head on the court, Stein, but over the last few years I've evolved. I'll go patch you on the button now after a miss and say you're gonna hit the next one, And so I still confidence. So I'm ready bring the doubles. So initially I'm gonna take the doubles. I'm gonna get the ball out my hands and hope that they can beat the numbers games. But closing minutes Stein, the double comes, I'm going through that double. There's gonna be consequences and repercussions.
Speaker 1: Will these games be streamed anywhere?
Speaker 2: I think I'm going to stream I just think Stein. I think I might do like an IG Live or something like that, so people y'all can follow me on Chris B. Haynes NBA. That's my IG account. I think I might go live the whole game nine to twenty am Pacific Standard time, Final four, Final four.
Speaker 1: I wanted to end this podcast with you choosing your favorite Christmas Day matchup, the game you're looking forward to the most. But I'm starting to get the vibe that nothing on this Christmas menu and one more time I'm gonna go through it. Bucks at Nick's, Warriors at Nuggets, Celtics at Lakers, Sixers at Heat, Mavericks at Suns. But you're more excited about your two rec League games on Saturday. I haven't Saturday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't even gotten there yet. I haven't gotten to Monday. I gotta get past Saturday because I got big plans. But if we're just talking about Christmas Day game, I'll talk about that. What's the game I'm looking forward to the most. Lakers Celtics is kind of to me, kind of lost this luster because Lakers aren't playing well. Lakers are going through something right now.
Speaker 1: But I think their desperation kind of makes that game interesting because they also, like the Pacers, have just stumbled big time since the nd season tournament. That since the big in season tournament Banner reveal that got everyone so upset and sparked very very it Stine, Why.
Speaker 2: Why I seen everybody. I think Derek Fisher even I believe I think he had a comment about like Lakers shouldn't have done that. Why the Lakers taking so much heat. I'm telling y'all, Lakers, the Lakers did not want to do it. They are cooperating with the league. The league wants to think so the league wants this to be a big deal. Yes, this is the Lakers.
Speaker 1: You think you think they wouldn't have done it unless the league convinced that.
Speaker 2: I don't think they would have done it. I don't think they would have done that. I'm not saying the league told him they had to do it. I'm not saying that, but the league definitely wanted a big deal made of this n season tournament championship. So they're playing ball. So you know, I don't get, like I do, believe Lakers would not have done anything if there was no is it influence, If they were just considering themselves, they wouldn't have done anything. So I don't get why Lakers have been receiving shots like that.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, look, I mean all these games have something to offer, you know, Golden State has picked it up here lately, so they're an interesting foil for the defending champions from Denver. Of course, such a smaller team than the Nuggets are, So we'll see how the Warriors fare on a Christmas Day when they're the visitors who have to take on the defending champs. That Bucks Knicks game as well, that's I mean, that'll that'll get our all start debate going. That gets our all start debate going. With Jame going up against Jalen Brunson, and I'm sure Giannis will have no shortage of motivation playing on them Adison Square Garden stage on Christmas Day. You know, Celtics Lakers again, because this the Lakers now are suddenly desperate Sixers heat. You know, the Sixers have been so good without Harden. Hopefully Jimmy Butler can play in that one. Always interesting when he takes on his old friend Joe el Embiid. And of course where I live, Maverick Sons, no matter who's in the lineup is one that gets everybody here in Dallas talking. So more so I'm gonna I'm watching, I'm watching all five, I'm watching all five and and I will be assembling power rankings, my now monthly power rankings that will come out the next day, So it will be a busy Christmas over here.
Speaker 2: I will be smoking on a barbecue pit for the first two couple games, maybe even the third game while watching that game. So I'm very much looking forward to. But real quick, before you go, star Mavericks fans, they get up more so for a Sun's game than the Clipper game.
Speaker 1: Yes, the Suns have become there. You know, it's a it's it's there is quite a bit of animus between the two teams after the playoff series they had and the Mavericks winning that game seven by such a big margin on Phoenix's floor. And obviously Devin Booker and Luca Dantic have had their moments against each other. So yeah, that one. That game. That game has always circled around here.
Speaker 2: Okay, interesting, I thought the Clippers were like that was considered the I mean.
Speaker 1: Look, hey, the Clippers. The Clippers really have looked good lately. You have to you really have to say that. I mean, we so many of us were just crushing them after the trade and how poorly things started in the James Harden Era. But Harden has been running the show Kawhi Leonard after a slow start to the season, and he has looked fantastic here really really, really really looking like the Kawhi of old. Here in December and you know they've they've found something. The Clippers are another team that's super small when compared to the Nugget zuboch Is. They're only really, they're only available big. But the Clippers have it rolling and have people asking a new are they for real? Should we believe? Do we dare believe in this team.
Speaker 2: Before Clippers got over there?
Speaker 1: Now, yes, Daniel Tye, Yes, no, you're right, You're right, But I meant and that was a great pickup and a huge it was a great pickup able to get you know, that's one that confused me because I thought the Pacers should have been able to trade him. But I'm but you know, Daniel Tice is not massive. I mean they you know, losing plumbly was a big loss for that team. And you know, we'll see how quick they can get him back. But I mean, if you're gonna be Denver, you you probably need three bigs, really sure, you Needn't you need that many? Fouls and that's you know, that is still the standard in the West. Can you get past Nikola Jokic and the Denver Nuggets, You're gonna need multiple bigs to get you through. And it's not just the Clippers. Dallas is in that position, Golden State is in that position, Phoenix is in that position. There are a lot of teams in the West that don't have an abundance of size, whereas Minnesota does have a lot of size, and that's why they've one of the reasons why the Wolves have been so good here through the first twenty five ish games of this season. But we're gonna leave it there. We're gonna wish Chris Haynes tremendous luck. Hopefully it's a doubleheader on Saturday. Hopefully. You guys, now, if you lose the semi final, is there a third place game or you get you This.
Speaker 2: Is the style I'm telling you, the way I'm built. If we lost the first one, I'm not playing a no damn third place game. You win, you had to win it, or you don't win anything. That's just how I'm built made up.
Speaker 1: Sorry, in all seriousness, I am really looking forward to some text updates on Saturday, and some details revealed in our next pod. We have to figure out when the next pod will be man with you having family there, my initial thought was, let's try to do it after all these Christmas games. But if your whole family's in the house, that might be a tough one. But whenever we get together again, whenever we get together again, I hope you have some highlights to share with us from these Well, I'm gonna tell you this.
Speaker 2: The highlights that I do share in our next pod hopefully is basketball oriented, because remember after our first after my last family get together, the highlights I share didn't have anything to do with basketball. It was the highlights that happened here in his household.
Speaker 1: So hopefully, now i'm family, I'm predicting. I'm predicting a very calm and happy Christmas at the Hotel Haynes. It's gonna be nothing but love.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I wish that upon everybody else. I wish everybody a happy merry Christmas. And again, this is sometimes great, great day. You know, it's a day kids and even adults dream up every day to wake up to Christmas Day and open presence. But also it comes with a lot of family getting together, and a lot of times again we don't like our family. We love them, but we don't like them, and we have to learn to, you know, just get along with you know, get along for those two days or whatever, because you know, stuff happens, Arguments happen, things break out. It happened here and my Thanksgiving they have house in my household here, So I'm hoping that that doesn't happen here, and I hope it doesn't happen for our listeners out there. So I wish you a very peaceful merry Christmas.
Speaker 1: Happy holidays everyone. Thanks to Brandon for pitching in here and pinch hitting on the production duties after I personally messed up the recording schedule. But we got it done. We got this episode done to accompany you on Festivus, December twenty third, on Christmas Eve, December twenty fourth. Hopefully this will give you some good NBA content to get you ready and take you up to that five game slate on Monday on Christmas Day. Chris and I will be back with you again soon. And remember, please, if you haven't already, rate, review and subscribe to this League Uncut via Apple Podcasts or Spotify Podcasts or wherever you get your pods. We'll be back with you soon. Happy holidays everyone.
Speaker 2: Happy holidays, and that'll do it for us.
Speaker 1: See you next time. This League, Uncut is and iHeartRadio production, Chris Haynes and March Time I didn't