Speaker 1: Welcome to tech stuff. I'm Ma's Volocian. Happy New Year. It's a new year, it's a new you, it's a new me. Maybe it's definitely an opportunity to set some new intentions. But as we all know, building habits can be rather tricky.
Speaker 2: We don't as a society talk about how to set goals that makes sense, So you know, it's very common to be like, this year, I'm going to eat super healthy and I'm going to lose fifty pounds, and this is my year, and you don't really set achievable goals within that.
Speaker 1: This is Victorious Song, who's a senior tech reviewer for The Verge.
Speaker 2: Your new year's resolutions should come in different sizes, so there should be something that's, like, my big goal is to lose fifty pounds, but this year, I'll be happy if I just lose ten because that's achievable. And then once you hit that achievable thing, you can adjust and ty trate. But you really gotta set the bar so low so that you can build momentum. You really want to make it so easy it feels like you're cheating.
Speaker 1: Anything we can do to make meeting goals easier is of interest to me, and obviously, as the host of a tech podcast, I have a natural curiosity about how tech can help us not just reset intentions, but actually stick to new commitments at this time of year. And that's why I wanted to talk to Victoria, because she is a professional wearer of wearables, a full time tester of products that promise to optimize everything about us, and Karen and I both wanted to know what products actually help you build habits, because, as we all know, it's easy to make excuses.
Speaker 2: It is so easy to just go, I'll just sit on the couch. Oh it's cold out, Oh it's raining. I don't have time to do that, And it's very easy to fall into a perfectionistic this is the correct way to do it, and if I don't do it perfectly or correctly, I've messed up. Or oh I didn't make much progress in January, that's it. Like there's eleven other months of the year for you to make progress. Like you have to kind of take a very holistic approach to New Year's resolutions.
Speaker 1: So, without further ado, let's make those New Year's resolutions stick or at least try.
Speaker 3: Thank you for joining us Victoria, thank you for having me. Did I spot a wearable on you today?
Speaker 2: I'm actually going quite light. I only have an order ring in the Apple Watch. I get a lot of data overwhelmed as part of my job, so sometimes it's very important to just take them off and only use the bare minimum. Occasionally I'll take them all off and force myself to go on a run where I, quote unquote get no credit. And you know, I have to live with that and the comfortable without discomfort. Otherwise it's way too easy to get sucked into. Oh it doesn't count unless I recorded it somewhere, and that's just absolutely not true.
Speaker 1: I have a perennial goal of losing weight, and the way I don't test it, the way I don't achieve that is I never weigh myself. So I live in blissful ignorance. But you mentioned, you know, losing fifty pounds. I feel like this whole year in January, like that's what's on a lot of people's minds. Have you tried or experienced any tech that's actually helpful in terms of beginning of fitness journey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot. It's a very crowded field. But if you're a beginner, you're someone who doesn't have an existing fitness regime right now. One app I like is called Chandler Streaks. It kind of turns the idea of streaks on its head because streaks can be a prison. On the one hand, you're gamifying consistency, and consistency is the most important thing with any fitness regime. But I know so many people who have become beholden to their streaks that it becomes like a psychological stranglehold. Gentler Streaks is nice because it incorporates the idea of rest and recovery. It kind of allows you to be like, Hey, I'm sick, I need a break from my streak, and you don't have that psychological pitfall of going, oh, I broke my streak. Everything is messed up now I might as well just give up completely. It's oh, you know, like you can take two or three days off, just get back into it. But I know friends who got super into the streaks on their Apple watch and closing their rings, and then they would get COVID or they would get a flu and they'd be like, it's time for me to walk outside so I can hit my step mark. That's insane, that's crazy, like that's not taking care of your health.
Speaker 3: Are there products that at first you thought like there's absolutely no way this will motivate me, and then you were pleasantly surprised.
Speaker 2: Fantasy Hike was one of them. So something like Generller Streaks is Fantasy Hike. It's on both iOS and Android now and it's kind of like a copyright friendly version of Walking to Mordor. So if you're a Lord of the Rings fan, it's kind of a fun thing to do, and it's very low stakes because it's just counting how many steps you take in a day, and you can track your progress to mourdoor and there's fictional competitors that you can go against, like Mister Underfoot, which is proto, or Harry flit Potter and John Snowflake and all of those things. It's very low key. You're always making progress in that game. So it's something that you can be like just going for a time minute walk every day. That's a really good start to fitness, even if it feels like it's not impressive, because that's really a pitfall. People genuinely think like I've got to work myself out to the point of exhaustion. I've got to hit fifteen thousand steps every single day and just do threey five hundred and work your way it from there, like truly go easy on yourself.
Speaker 1: We talked a bit about fitness. What about sleep? This is another thing. I used to have a sleep tracker, but I also stop wearing that because I kind of got it in this little bit stress cycle about like saying knowing, well, that didn't go enough sleep, and then I'm more stressed about it. And now if I wake up in the night and have it insomnia, it doesn't matter, like you'll just you know, you've got to sleep and issue don't you don't, It's all fine. Like my mental talk track is like don't worry about it, rather than like, ha, it gave.
Speaker 3: Me sleep hypochondria, that's what it gave me.
Speaker 1: But are there good ways to track sleep that are actually beneficial to getting better sleep? Do you think? Victoria?
Speaker 2: So, most sleep trackers are like fitness trackers, but for sleep. And I would say that aura is not a bad one because it's sort of giving you a holistic look at what you are tracking. So it's not just your sleep, it's how your sleep impacts your stress levels and your recovery levels, and the key to all of us is to just take it with a grain of salt. You're building a baseline. But there are some sleep buds that I like. Anchor makes some I think they're called the Sound or a something. Oslo is another one if you are someone who has a hard time falling asleep. These are buds that are designed to go in your ear. Their flat profile, so it's not like an AirPod, and you can connect it and listen to white noise, or you can listen to your favorite podcast or audiobook as you're falling asleep.
Speaker 1: I love white noise, by the way, but my wife's not a white, white noise person, so having private white noise could be a game changer for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my spouse uses that. I've used it in the past. It can really help if you have a really noisy neighbor, and then if you really have money to burn. One gadget that I tested and then bought with my own money is eight Sleep.
Speaker 3: It sleep You're an eight sleep I just did? Wow?
Speaker 2: I did? I bought it? Maybe I tested it and it improved my sleep and improved my spouse and sleep.
Speaker 1: What is it? Oh?
Speaker 3: Please tell him what an aid sleep is. The aid sleep erati or a real group of people, and you now are one of them.
Speaker 2: I'm not a crazy one. It just really did make a demonstrable difference in our sleep quality. So the eight sleep is a smart mattress cover. You use your own mattress, you don't have to buy the mattress from them. It has a water tank and it basically adjusts the temperature of your bed. So if let's say your spouse they run warm and they want their bed to be cooler, their side of the bed can be cooler. And I like to be warm when I fall asleep, and so my bed can be nice and toasty. And it also tracks your sleep quality. So if you want a sleep tracker and something that adjusts temperature in one, you can do that. There is a version that is a little bit more premium, but it has a base and it can elevate you when it detects snoring. My spouse used to snore a lot, and this has kind of helped because it works. It genuinely works. As I woke up one time very briefly and I was like, why am I being elevated? Oh, they're snoring? And now they're not snoring. Okay, I can fall back asleep. So there's a silent alarm function, so you know your bed will buzz you awake in the morning, but your partner can sleep through it. It's a game changer for me and my spouse. It's one of the best things you can do for your health is to figure out a really great sleep routine or find things that help you stay a sleep longer.
Speaker 3: It's kind of worth its weight in gold, then, it.
Speaker 2: Really is, which is why we'll be paying for another year.
Speaker 1: Victoria, Can I ask you to take us inside the toilet bowl?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels like there's a deluge of toilet analysis this year, and I'm curious for your take on it.
Speaker 2: This is kind of a trend that's popping up while Withings is a French tech company and I saw this at CUS a couple of years ago and they were like, we've made an at home your analysis lab. So it's like I call it a pea shell because it looks like a shell shape and you stick it in your toilet and your pee on it, and depending on the cartridge that's in there, it'll measure like your vitamin C levels, your hydration, your pH and for some reason, if you would like to track those things you now can. There are other devices that I'm seeing start to hit the market because it's a wellness trend right now to quote unquote balance your hormones. I think this is something I will be looking into further and testing. Unfortunately, I can't believe this is part of my job to pee on gadgets now. But you know, for reproductive health, that is a thing that a lot of companies are interested in. There's a huge gap in foundational people with uterus's health data because fun fact, it wasn't required to have women or menstruating people as part of clinical trials until nineteen ninety three. So the vast majority of what we know about health today is based on men's bodies, and they just women are smaller version of men, So let's apply the same things. And what researchers and doctors have been finding is that's absolutely not true. So if you have issues with fertility, for example, or if you have one of a number of conditions like perimenopause or PCOS, which is polycystic overy syndrome, they're claiming that you can be on these hormone test kits and track your health that way, and so that when you go to the doctor and you're like, I think I have these things. These are my reproductive hormone levels from my PE that has been collected over a period of time. What do you think about that? Because going to the doctor getting your analysis test that way, it's really just a spot check. It's not something that's collected over time. And that is one of the benefits. But you know, it's expensive. A lot of them require you to buy refills. So we'll see if it takes off. But I can't tell you the number of pitches I get for p tech these days.
Speaker 3: It's it's a good name for it, p tech.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where does RFK Junius in all of this?
Speaker 2: He's annoying, but he you know, just to be frank. He came out in June and he was basically saying like, hey, I want every American to be wearing a wearable within the next four years. I mean, the man has an interesting view of science. To put it, not even somewhat neutrally, but he basically was like, hey, you can take personal responsibility. I have friends who reverse their diabetes through using continuous glucose monitors, which there are now versions of continuous glucose monitors that are over the counter. Companies are calling them glucose biosensors. They are marketed towards people who do not have diabetes, or who have type two diabetes but aren't using insulin, or pre diabetic people so that they can use these devices and just kind of have a continuous stream for about a two week period of their glucose and how food impact. So a lot of physicians are hopeful about that technology. I've tested it. It comes with pros and cons. If you are someone who maybe does have pre diabetes, you can really see how your lifestyle impacts your glucose. You can learn what foods are triggers for your specific body. There's like a definite benefit there. Jerry's out on whether people who are non diabetic and perfectly good health need to add this to their tracking regime, but there's a lot of people who are excited about this technology. It's available if you want it. Blood and Pea that's the new frontier for wearable tech.
Speaker 3: I think that's the pulk quill. Blood and Pea is the new frontier of wearable tech. You've written a lot about the wellness surveillance state, and that we might just be giving too much of our health data away. I think a lot of people who are interested in tracking biometric data are also interested in not giving information about themselves away. Do you have any support or advice for people with privacy concerns?
Speaker 2: If you truly want your data to be private, none of these tech solutions is a good idea. There is a divide between what is considered medical tech, which is protected by HIPPA in the United States. A lot of the tech that you see right now, where it's just like tracking in some respect that is not hippoprotected. It does not fall under the FDA's oversight. And even if it is hippoprotected, it is kind of an inadequate piece of legislation. It was drafted a really long time ago. There's a lot of concerns about how wearable data fits into all of that. So the only responsible answer I can give you is that you just have to be cognizant of what you're sharing, and are you okay with these companies having access to your PE data. I have just resigned the fact that my personal data for my job is kind of out there but if that's something that you're really concerned about, I would steer clear. You got to do a lot of research into the privacy policies of these companies. At the Verge, when we review anything, we have a section at the end of our reviews called agree to Continue where we list all of the policies that you are prompted to agree to whenever you use a new product. Yeah, that's the dystopic reality about might be.
Speaker 1: After the break, tech to help you save, and even tech to help you unplug stay with us. I mean, you yourself are quite interesting personal journey. Somebody who had to use a lot of wearables for work, somebody who experienced health problems, and somebody who's still today despite it all uses wearable So can you just kind of spent out your own journey with this field technology.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Actually, before I ever got into this line of work, I had experienced something like a sixty pound weight gain and I was like, what is happening. I haven't changed a single dang thing. This is really crazy. And so I got into fitbits. This was like over ten years ago, and I was eating right, I was tracking all of my calories, I was getting hyper obsessive about it, having some disordered eating habits, and nothing was changing. And I went to my doctors. I was showing them all this wearable data. And it took me two years and a lot of false diagnoses, but I eventually was diagnosed with polycystic over syndrome, which is a metabolic condition that causes many women to gain weight against their will. I also started testing these over the counter CGM or glucose biosensors, whatever they want to call them, and I was like, oh my god, am I pre diabetic? Because PCOS actually causes insulin resistance in many women, and I was seeing crazy numbers on there that didn't really make any sense. So I started going to the doctors and they're like, no, you're a one C which is your blood sugar marker for about a three month period. That's totally fine. You're not pre diabetic at all, but something's up. And then I eventually found out that I have non alcoholic fatty liver disease, and I was like, oh, okay, so it's been a rollercoaster of a journey. I do think that they can help you, but one thing that I think these companies are lacking is proper guidance on how to make sure that you were using the tools and that the tools are not using you. So that's kind of what I've made a lot of my work about because I really think that it's not talked about enough.
Speaker 3: They sort of just get unleashed into the world, and we as people using them have to just wrap our heads around how to best use them. There's no like and this is how you use the or ring responsibly.
Speaker 2: Yes, a lot of these companies are like, oh, well, we have informational blurbs in there so that people could make the best decision for themselves. And it's like, sure, you can know better and still fall into these very insidious habits thinking that you're doing something great for yourself, but you're paying a cost elsewhere. So it's something that I think we should have much more public conversations about, for sure.
Speaker 3: So there are other categories around New Year's resolutions that revolve around money, you know, either saving money or making money. Is there any tech or apps that you recommend for this kind of resolution making?
Speaker 2: I really like wine app, which means you need a budget. I've been using it for over ten years. I believe it's one hundred dollars a year, but because I use it, I definitely save one hundred dollars every month.
Speaker 3: So in your wine app.
Speaker 2: Yes, wineab is in my wine app. And it uses the envelope method for personal finance, where you take your income and you assign each dollar a job, and that really works for me. It is a little more finicky. I think it's really great for type A people, of which I am. But another one I think is Rocket Money, which I've tested, and the one thing I like from them is that they will, for a small fee, negotiate your subscriptions for you, some of them. And I was like, oh my god, that's amazing because now for the New York Times every year they just lower my monthly price and I don't really do anything for it. And that's great.
Speaker 3: Because Rocket Money is actually negotiating with the New York Times.
Speaker 2: Yes it's not. It's not for every service. So if you think you're going to like renegotiate all your bills in there, that's not true. But like I've negotiated down my Wall Street Journal bill and my New York Times.
Speaker 3: Bill, so they for me as a customer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't pay full price.
Speaker 3: Ever, it's great Oh, that's a very cool tip.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What about and this is sort of ironic, but what about like tech or products that can help you spend less time with tech? Or products like unplugging products, which is another big thing people, I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I actually got something called Brick. It is a small actually have it on my desk, and it is kind of a nuclear option in some respects. You sometimes sometimes you need to go nuclear. I was spending way too much time on my phone for work and for other things, and my spouse was like, we need to have an intervention because you cannot watch a TV show without being on your phone, and that is not okay.
Speaker 3: That's the definitely people for a couple couples.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know they had been using it. They said, I think you should really try it. And basically, it's like this little NFC brick and you tap your phone to it and when you enter a certain mode, it just locks all of your apps and the only way to unlock your app The only way to unlock your apps is to physically tap this physical brick. If you lose the brick, there are five emergency overrides, and once you use up your emergency overrides. Your phone has to be completely reset. It is quite drastic. It does require maybe that you're not someone who's going to lose the brick, But I find that that's been really helpful for when I notice that I am on my phone while watching TV, like I shouldn't be doing that. I should be paying attention to the TV show. Another thing I've been using is something called focus Friend, which Hank Green actually created earlier this year. It is a little bean that lives inside of your phone. It's like kind of a gamified thing. It's a take on the palmadoro. A digital bean, a digital bean, and you basically said it, and for that time period, you're not doing anything else on your phone because if you interrupt the bean who likes to knit socks, you are ruining his sock journey. And for some reason, he's a very cuy little bean. You don't want to ruin his sock journey. You and the bean who you can name, I named mine Blorbo. You're in it together and using Blorbo. I have read so many books this year compared to last year. I've been reading about ten a month.
Speaker 3: Thanks to Dorbo, you've read ten books a month thanks to Blorbo. I mean I run a book club. I don't read ten books a month, it's honest to god.
Speaker 2: I just do thirty to forty five minutes in the morning as part of my routine. I turn Blurbo on and I read during that time. And just doing that every single day, I.
Speaker 3: Bet you're rewiring neural pathways, honestly.
Speaker 2: And honestly, it's about finding the hacks that work for you. Anytime I accidentally hit my phone and it's like, you're going to interrupt blurbo, Do you want to do that, I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, no, I don't want to.
Speaker 2: He has to knit his little soakes. So it's actually quite effective for me. And there's other versions of this out there, but I find that the Pomadoro method, mixed with a cute little bean that you helped decorate his little house, it does wonders for my reading habit quite truly.
Speaker 3: I recently bought a timer for Pomadora method and it helps me read scripts. It's like the only way, but that's a very analog that's like a home Pomodoro is. Basically, you do twenty five minutes of work timed on a timer and you set everything else aside and only do the thing that you want to be working on in that pomadoro, and then you take a five minute break, and then you do another pomadoro and you collect pomadoro's. Basically, it's a very effective way for someone like me who like gets sucked into my phone or gets sucked into email to actually focus on the thing that I want to be doing.
Speaker 2: It's also great if you have a hard time starting tasks, because you can do anything. You can do anything for twenty five minutes. Ye, you can do it, and you can adjust it. Yeah, you can adjust it. So like if you're really having a hard time starting out, you can just do it for fifteen minutes or something. It doesn't matter who you are. You can do anything for fifteen minutes and just to get started on that. And once you get started, I guarantee you a lot of times you'll find that out. What was that so procrastinating about? This isn't so bad, So it's it's really great.
Speaker 1: Are there any resolutions or resolution based tech that we haven't talked about yet that you've been interested in.
Speaker 2: If you're trying to set a new habit, I like this app called Habitica. It's very cute. It's like a little RPG where you do a little habit tracking and you level up your little fantasy character. Clearly, I like fantasy games on my phone. Yeah, but a lot of people I know have also enjoyed Habiteka. Like doing little chores around your house, you get points and experience points for them. It's very cute if you're trying to like build a new habit, which is very hard. One thing that I don't think people give enough credit for is that habits are basically programming your brain to do something automatically, and there's like science behind it. There's something like a que an action and a reward, and in order to like have that pathway burned into your brain, it's very difficult. You have to do it an x number of times. People will say three weeks, but it could be shorter, it could be longer. The scientists don't know. But for however long it takes to burn that habit loop into your brain, whatever motivation you find is really great, because behavioral change is one of the hardest things you can genuinely do. So if you are trying to do a New Year's resolution, yourself a little graze. It is actually quite difficult to change your.
Speaker 3: Behavioral as we all sadly know, we very sadly know.
Speaker 1: Well, Victory, that's a good place. And through this conversation, I have come up with my new as resolution. What is spend more time with my friends.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: That's a very lovely New Year's resolution.
Speaker 3: Should start calling your friends. What was it? Blur blurbo, blur blurbo blurbo. Victoria, Thank you, thank you, Victoria, thanks for having me. That's it for this week for tech Stuff.
Speaker 1: I'm Kara Price and I'm os Valoschin. This episode was produced by Eliza Dennis, Tyler Hill and Melissa Slaughter. It was executive produced by Me, Kara Price, Julia Nutter, and Kate Osborne for Kaleidoscope and Katria Norvel for iHeart Podcasts. Jack Insley mixed this episode. Kyle Murdoch wrote our theme song.
Speaker 3: Please rate, review, and reach out to us at tech Stuff podcast at gmail dot com. We want to hear from you.