Speaker 1: Hey, hey, Hey, do I sound cheerful? Okay, definitely didn't have a cheerful day.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Well.
Speaker 1: It wasn't bad. I mean, you know how you just have one of those days and then finally you tell yourself, you look in the mirror and you say, hey, you snap out of it. You're alive and you can deal. And so I just had that moment a couple of hours ago because I knew I was taken tonight and I was like, no, you're gonna bring great energy to broad Ambition, and so here I am. I feel way better. I took a nice little nap. It was just business stuff. You know, when everything like falls apart and you're like, I hate everybody. I quit.
Speaker 2: I quit. Oh yeah, let's call it take a walk. It's called take a walk or take a nap.
Speaker 1: Yes. I woke up from the nap still feeling like. My friend called me. He was like I was complaining. He was like, ooh, you sound like you need a nap. I'm like, I'm literally in bed. I just woke up from a nap. He was like, go back to it.
Speaker 2: Now, You've done that nap long enough.
Speaker 1: I go right, like clearly, but you know what it was just I'm realizing that I just was feeling overwhelmed because it was just I'm used to maybe like two or three things like oh this, you know, we got to fix this and tweak this, but it was literally like, oh, all ten, all ten things are broken and so yeah. But honestly though, it was good because I realized, like one that there's I'm not super systematic, so it forced me to put some systems in place so that way the people that I've hired can be more proactive because they're already awesome, but they can't do in something unless you know, I show them how at least the first time, you know, right, Yeah, yeah, So it made me do that, so I felt so much better about it now. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's it's like when you get in those moments, because I've I think we've all like had those moments where you like either something goes wrong or it's like even just too many little things are going wrong and or too many people are like asking you questions and wanting answers from you, and you like get overwhelmed. I feel like lately I've been I've been forcing myself to go on like twenty minute walks around my office, and that's helped me, Like it's helped me like have the energy to answer people, like like you don't have to respond to something right away, like even though someone's if someone's like I need an answer right now, like I still take like if it's like, there was a serious budget question today that came up, and budgets are something I'm newly having to deal with, like the cost of everything that we produce and like managing and making sure we're on budget and then just setting prices for different things that we produce and YadA YadA. Anyway, so there was a question that came up and I felt like I needed it, like they needed an answer right away, but I still I was like, Okay, I need to think about this. I'm not used to answering this kind of question. So I took my little walk and thought about it, and I came back like with an idea, like ready to sort of talk about it. And it was okay, Like no one, nothing got burned down. It was okay, they could wait twenty minutes for me to you know, have a thought process. But and sometimes when you're in an environment where like everyone wants your response right then and there, and you have to, like, you know, it puts additional pressure. But I feel like when you can like stepping back saying I'll get back to you or give me some time or something like that, it's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know what it is. I also suffer from, like us extreme middle child syndrome where I don't like for people to be unhappy. So we got like two emails from like support because you know, I have my literature academy and so two we call our academy members. Dream builders emailed me with some with two issues, like hey, I reached out to customer support but it wasn't rectified, and I'm you know, and we call them spicy, those type of emails where it's very clear this person is upset, you know. And so I was like, ah, because I'm not, you know, I don't do well with Oh my god, you're upset with me? How could I fix it? I'm sorry here, it's all my money, take my clothes, you know. So that's what were the reasons why? And I realized I was like, well, Tiffany, so I ended up. But honestly it ended up triggering like for me to create kind of like a best practices that if this is your if you have to email someone a third time there's something lost in translation. So I created I think it's like ten bucks a month or whatever, where we have a conference car line where you can ask that person, Hey, you know, I want to make sure I'm helping you, and I think the email is not we're losing something in email. If you're free today at three, you could call into the conference line for free and I can work it out. And so it ended up triggering that, which is really helpful because I ended up speaking to the two women who emailed me and they left like, oh my gosh, thanks so much. This was so helpful. And because the email, the emails weren't not that they weren't clear, but it's clear that they had their problem very clearing their head and articulating it via email was not as easy. And then the customer support was providing a solution and it wasn't articulated as and so you know it can cost for frustration. So now we have it like email one, you know, you solve the problem. Email two. It might escalate to a call depending on how angry Email two is, and email too might just be further further support. And then email three, definitely a call. So now we have like kind of this thing in place. So it was good, and I'm I reminded myself that you know that it's always good when things go wrong early on because it allows you to fix what's already broken. Just because I didn't realize it was the issue doesn't mean there wasn't one, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally. It's It's also it's nice to be able to It's nice to be the one putting systems in place. And like I said, Link I talked with this last week, Like when you're starting from scratch and you're building something new, or you're working on something new, or you're handling a new problem, it's nice to be in a place where you can work with people and put something in place and you're not like working against a crappy system. Yeah, already in place and sometimes like an old fashioned phone call. Yeah, working with I mean you work with tons of people remotely. I work with probably two and writers across the country, different time zones, you know, all types of different people, and like I call, I pick up the phone all the time because I get tired of I mean literally, if I didn't, we would just be communicating in Google Dot comments, Slack or email or g chat or whatever text message, and it's just sometimes, man, you just got to hear someone's voice and they need I think, like things get lost in translation, like tone, Like things can sound sassier when you're yeah, you know, you know it is when you're like, wait, did I am I interpreting this wrong? Or even I know I can sound like aggressive or abrasive, you know, via email or you know those communications. So I like to talk and I think people it's always easier. It's just like commenters on the website. It's always easier to be a jerk when you're typing something out, But as soon as you get people on the phone, they tend to be a lot a lot nict nice.
Speaker 1: So I've got some awesome news.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's up?
Speaker 1: So the house went through, they found the contract. We are under contract, and now I have to do basically it's pay. So I'm super excited it's to go. Okay, I know, after all that time, isn't that crazy? For a year we searched and then you know, we get with our new our new realtor, and then within a month she has us with the sign contract in the house. But to be fair that what I've learned from the house buying process is in the beginning, you're not really all that ready unless you this is like you know, you're buying multiple homes or whatever. But typically if this is your maybe first or second, you're still trying to figure out what you want. So to be fair, you know, she caught us at the perfect time and we were really clear on where we wanted to live, how much we wanted to spend, and you know, and what we wanted in the house. But she's also was also really awesome too, so you know, so yeah, I'm super excited. Like Superman, I thought he was gonna cry. He was like jumping up and down. This is his first house and he's like, I can't believe I'm a homeowner. I'm a homeowner. And then we got nervous, like, oh wait, we have work to do because it needs to be rewired, it needs to flooring in the kitchen. I mean, so now it's like, yikes, here comes the real like deal where we have to do.
Speaker 2: So because when you talked about it last week, you hadn't had the inspection yet, so did anything like crazy come up? I mean, obviously not too crazy because you know you're going through with it.
Speaker 1: But so the main things we were just worried about, So with older homes because the house was built in nineteen twenty two, so you're worried about obviously structural things. Foundation you're worried about like electrical stuff. You're worried about plumbing and the roof. Those are the most expensive things. And so three out of the four were great, it needs to be rewired, And that part I wasn't surprised with because whatever wiring they had in nineteen twenty two, they were atticipating you were going to have an iPad and a computer and a cell phone, and so it was going to have to be rewired anyway. But they had something in the house, and a lot of older houses have something called knob and tubing. It's basically, I don't know, it's like it. They call it nob and tubing because that's what it looks like when you see it, Like in the electrical panel, it looks like a little knob and some tubes, and so basically it's the old way that they used to wire your house. But it also turned out to be pretty dangerous and could like start fires within the walls, so you know, we were going to rewire anyway, So just knowing that that was the main thing, everything else is kind of like just for looks. You know, what is the word I'm looking for? Not commercial? Cosmetic. Everything else is cosmetic. So it's just rewiring, and rewiring is not cheap, but it has to be done. Yeah, so I'm excited. So now we just basically have to go in, clean out all the stuff that's kind of in there, get some electricians to come in to give us some quotes. So we'll do that first and then slowly but surely go room by room deciding what we want. So that's the big thing, because I can already tell Superman and I have totally different ideas of what grown and sexy is. Oh my good, look what Mandy? First of all?
Speaker 2: Is this like he believe used to pick out a comforter we both agreed on.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I'm like, sir, are you he is? You not think that he's really into college?
Speaker 3: But he is.
Speaker 1: I mean he's like, I want burgundy on the wall, I want orange in the kitchen, I want purple in the bathroom. What are we five? And he was like Tippany, you want everything to be like white, and I'm like no, but he said, but I want grown and sexy. I'm like, yeah, grown and sexy for eighteen year old that just got their first apartment. Like that's not what we're doing here. And so I'm like, Okay, I could tell it's going to be a battle, but one that I'm prepared to win. So actually, for those of you guys listening, you want to write on in if you want a Brown Ambition podcast and just click contact bornabisionpodcast dot com because I would really love some tips of because I'm still new to this marriage game, some tips of how to persuade and get my way without arguing. Because we were arguing for mythical things that haven't even happened yet. I'm like, we're already arguing. There has to be a way to get my way as far as this house is concerned, without him feeling bad about it. So that way we all win. I win as far as the house looking like I want. He wins because he's happy about it. So I'll try to figure that out. I just want to make sure that I mean, I want him to be happy. To you, maybe I'm just being facetious about how do I get over a kind disorder? But so we just decided what we're gonna do is we're gonna pull pictures offline of stuff that we both like and so that way we can both be on the same page and say, hey, this is what I was thinking for the living room, you know, so witchress board. Yeah. So well he's not super like savvy as far as being online and stuff. So yeah, I mean I'm excited though, because it's just it's a new chapter, like by this time next year. I mean, the house is big. It's it's five bedroom, three and a half bathroom. You know, sounds mess I can't read. Yeah, so I don't know.
Speaker 2: So we've all by now, we've all heard about the Equifax Stata breach. Don't do dun. Over one hundred and forty three million Americans impacted by the stat of breach. I can't believe we didn't talk about this last week. But this was a big f and deal.
Speaker 1: It was, and honestly, everyone was checking and I would say like eighty percent of the people that I saw posting on social media and Facebook were like, I was affected? What did that mean?
Speaker 2: You know what? The thing that i've heard, so if you're not if you're not aware. Basically, Equifax is one of the three credit bureaus, right, so three credit bureaus. They're the ones who track all your credit behavior and report it to lenders, and that information is what's used to create your credit score down the line. So Equifax is one of the big three, and they had this massive hack that happened sometime over the summer, and for some reason, it took the company until the end of September or sorry, the end of August early September to make it public, and now we're all sort of like dealing with the aftermath. And basically what happened during the breach is that hackers were able to access social security numbers, financial account information, addresses, names, like a ton of really important personal identifiable information. So that's why we were saying this is a this is a big deal because like this is like a hackers dream. You can of yes, create identity, You can create accounts with this information and impersonate another person with even just a couple of pieces of this stuff that they took.
Speaker 1: And there was actually someone you know in our Fincon group for those of you who remember fin Con is this financial educators or what's it? Like? Well, financial conference that Omanny and I go to from time to time, and someone in there they took sixty five thousand dollars out of her account related to the hack, and she believes so it happened recently. Wow, and she was really freaked out and she was just kind of walking us through like you know. I guess as soon as she figured it out, she called her bank and the bank said it's still pending, so there's nothing they can do about it just yet. I don't know, so I have to actually I'm going to go in and kind of look to see, like, what's what's happened in the meantime. So it's crazy. Someone just emailed me today. I don't know if this is related to the hack, but apparently they have three mortgage in in like some other things under her and her husband's name that someone had stolen their identity. They didn't realize and opened up all of these things. She's like, why we only three houses and we didn't even know.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be hard, it's gonna be hard to tell like when things. So first of all, everyone you should you should pretty much assume like I mean, this is this is like half of the people in America. Like I was gonna say that, you can pretty much assume that you might be impacted by this, and you know, you can go to Equifax Security. The website is Equifax Security twenty seventy dot com to see, you know, if there's a tool on the Equifax website where you can basically like input some information and it will tell you if you were impacted. I've read that this tool just basically tells everyone they're impacted, that they've been affected.
Speaker 1: So, like the.
Speaker 2: Question is, well, what do I do now? Like a lot of people have been Well, the most important thing is to monitor your credit, which you can do. You can do through Credit Sesame, you can do through Credit Karma. You can of course your free credit report once a year. But if you want a more consistent monitoring, then there's other tools available.
Speaker 1: One thing I have, do you have? Like I have LifeLock me and Superman because somebody had like opened up a some sort of account under his name. I guess it's not a PayPal. What is that thing when you go easy pass when you go through and they weren't paying it, and so we were getting like like tickets in our in our you know, like mail, and we were like what And it turned out somebody had opened up an easy pass with his name and then something else a week later. So finally he got LifeLock and it was just a few bucks a month, but it was it was everything because whenever someone tried to open something, he would get like a text message saying, hey, Superman, is this you? And if he clicked to know, then it would be shut down. If he clicked yes, it would be allowed to go through. So if you're really really worried, think about getting it. Doesn't have to be LifeLock, obviously because they're not paying us no money, but it could be something similar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Lifelock's one of those. So how it exactly does life block work?
Speaker 1: So you sign up for it, you can get like the eight ninety nine. I'm not gonna lie, I'm not really clear about the difference between eight ninety nine like nineteen ninety nine a month, but what I do know is that when you sign up, you then start to get alerts whenever someone tries to open up a account, basically any sort of like bank account, a credit card, something like that that really would like usually would require your your social security number. So whenever anyone someone tries to open up an account under your name slash social security number, you're supposed to get an alert via phone. Sometimes they'll even call you or via email, and the alert basically says, hey, this account is trying to be open is it you? And you have to verify yes it is, and if you, but until it's verified, Like for example, we were opening up a joint account and he kept getting like denied by Ally. I couldn't understand why, and it turned out he wasn't looking at his emails. LifeLock was asking him, hey, someone is trying to open up account an Ally, is it you? And once he said yes, it is, then Ally was able to allow him to have to joint account with me. And I thought, wow, that's great. You know.
Speaker 2: So it's like an extended version of like a credit freeze, is what it. So it sounds like a little bit more comprehensive than a credit freeze because exactly a lot of it. I was going to say, a lot of the advice has been, you know, get a credit freeze right away, and like, I think that's good advice. Credit freezes can be helpful Basically, when you you do a credit freeze, you have to do it at all the three bureaus, and it basically stops anyone from being able to open up an account like a like a credit card or take out a line of credit without you being alerted. But it doesn't I don't know if that if that extends to like bank accounts, like cell phone contracts, like things.
Speaker 1: Like that and life like that. That's what I like about it.
Speaker 2: But if you're I know that, Equifax, like today or earlier this week, announced that it's offering it's gonna waive the fee to freeze your credit through Equifax. So some states, a lot of states actually charge little fees to to freeze your freezer credit. So like there may be a fee a feed a freezer credit, and there may be a feed to quote unquote thaw your credit like if you actually want to go get a credit card. This is kind of the annoying thing about a freeze, like you have to thaw your report first and then that can cost a fee. So anyway, Equifax finally was like, we're going to offer you know, a free credit freeze. But credit freezes, like they don't protect you from everything. One of the So they're good for if someone opens a new account in your name, And it sounds like LifeLock is good for if someone opens a new account in your name. I think what LifeLock might offer too and other like identity theft protection services, is that what about your existing accounts that are already like these hackers may be able to access, Like that's the kind of thing like they're not. It's not like they have to open a new account. They have they may have accessed to your current accounts. And that's where credit freeze like wouldn't protect you. And you need to have some sort of system in place, whether it's you can like I have on my all my credit cards, if I spend over a dollar, I get a text alert and an email Like it's a little overkill, but I enjoy it. Oh do a dollar, yes, but you know what it came at. Like this past this past month on my my Chase card, there was a ninety nine dollars purchase on some Raindom electronic site that I didn't make, and I neatly got a text alert and I was like, Okay, I'm gonna call Chase right now and get this removed. And who knows when I would have noticed that if I had waited, you know, so you can do fifteen like whatever. But you know, some of those scammers, like they'll charge like two dollars or one forty two or something random just to test.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to see ooh does it go through? And then you won't even notice.
Speaker 2: Right, So that's that's just why I personally do like the one dollar and over alert. You can also do like the multi factor authentication for your bank accounts if they allow it, like you know, we're in order to sign into your account, you have to get you have to also a text alert on your phone and have a code. So if you're like these hackers obviously don't have your cell phone in their hands. So if you have that setup, then you'll get an alert if someone tries to access like your Vanguard account or your you know, Chase account or bank account or whatever, and then you can say this isn't me and you can deny that request. And then of course, like already there's a scam. So like the people are getting calls from this, like people saying, oh, I'm a concern Equifax representative and I'm just calling to confirm your verify your account information, So watch out for those types of phone calls. Like Equifax is not calling you. They don't care them. I mean they care, but they they're not doing that kind of level of They're not calling one hundred and forty three million people personally. So so don't trust anyone if they call you and like or send you an email, you know, asking to confirm your bank details or any of that kind of crap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's always a scam related to anytime people are in a vulnerable situation or state because you're not thinking, like, why is this person asking for my full Social Security number? That doesn't sound right, you know, but yeah, and I was just looking at lifelocks on website, so so yeah, you're you're right, Mandy. They also provide like money back and like you can I think up to depending on which program or plan that you have, you can get up to a million dollars back and for lawyers and experts or refunds. So I don't know, to me, it's just worth it. I have the nineteen ninety nine one, and to me, it's just worth it. Because the other day I was opening to a bank account for myself and it asked the question and I was like, Oh, I forgot I had LifeLock. That's always really good. So it's like the peace of mind. It is, honestly, and it's I.
Speaker 2: Should I should note that if you don't want to pay for credit monitoring services, and there's so many different types of services are we actually did a guide at Magnifying Money, which I'll post in the show notes because I don't even know enough about Like I couldn't tell you at the top of my head. There's a bunch. But Equifax is offering one year free credit and identity monitoring to people who are affected or just anyone who wants it, and it's through Trusted ID. So if you want to just try free, you can go to the website is Equifaxsecurity twenty seventeen dot com to enroll in that free service, and I'll post a link so you can see what else is out there. But being alert, you know what they say too, is like the one year of free I remember I did a story on this at Yahoo not long ago, a couple of years ago on like another hack had happened. It was like the healthcare hack or something, and experts were saying that, yeah, one year of free identity stuff or one year of monitoring is okay. But like a lot of times with these data breaches, the information is put up on websites and sold, but not like they'll purposefully wait a year or year and a half to sell it because they know by then people wi will let their guards down, and that's when you might see a bunch of charges. So they're like, come next year, we might be seeing like you may, it may be quiet for a while before we really see the repercussions of this breach. Uh. Yeah, it's a it's a it's a it's a scary scary time right now.
Speaker 1: Oh child? So are we ready for mess?
Speaker 2: Always? Sorry, I'm not a big enough mess for for you.
Speaker 1: I'm like no, so, truty, So what have you heard about Kevin Hart and his messiness?
Speaker 2: I mean, I want to give you the pleasure of spilling the tea?
Speaker 1: Right? So I was like, what has happened? I'm like, yeah, so Kevin Hart apparently, I mean allegedly, because we don't want to get sued or whatever, so he he just recently got married to Nico I think her name is, and she's pregnant, like you know, a few weeks away from giving birth. He has two kids already, I believe a boy and a girl with his ex wife who he cheated on with, and you know, and he's admitted to it and apologize for it and ended up stand up comedy about it. But still there's a little back and forth because his wife, Tori art Uh, and she was on one of these reality shows, but she basically was like, you know, it's kind of messed up that now you know, she's forgiven him, but that according to her, that he was cheating. One of the women he was cheating on her with was Aniko, who he's now married to. They've they've denied it, of course, but she's like, whatever, girl, Yes, it was. So recently it came out there's a young woman who apparently is an exotic dancer, a stripper, who secretly taped him and like it was him and her, and then there was I think apparently another girl in the room, you know, having sex. And so before this video came out, which I have not seen, which because I don't like watching sex videos, like you know, like someone was like, eh, I'm good, and so they apparently before the video came out, he did an apology video on Instagram, saying I made a mistake. I had a lapse in judgment. I apolgized to my wife and my and my kids. And so look, this is like I said, this is before the video came out. So everybody was like, what did he do now, because there were rumors buzzing that he was cheating on his wife, but he always was like, that's a lie, that's a lie. But you know, now, this girl. What was odd to me was that the girl who taped it made it very plain that she taped it to extort him. I'm like, does she realize this is a legal crime. Yeah, I mean it's so strange made it because all these interviews she's like, yes, I want him to pay. That's why I did the video so he can pay. And I'm like, uh, pretty much, pretty sure you're admitting to a crime. But anyway, and like, oh, I know what I am. But he's pretending to be a good husband and he's a cheater and blah blah blah blah blah. So it's just really messy because it's just like, I mean, you know a man, you know, men cheat, So you know, Kevin Hart being famous or not famous, But I guess what's so What makes this so such a big deal is because Kevin Hart has been so vocal about this woman who was like the love of his life and she's so amazing, and you know, like even before they got married, it was like he used to call her my rib, you know, like the rib comes from like in the Bible, when God made Eve, he started her off by taking a rib from Adam, and then he was like, this is your match for life. And that's like, you know, the story in the Bible, and so he kept saying, this is my rib, basically my match for life. God created her for me, like all these videos and pictures and she met my kids and just all of this. Like so I guess it's so strange because I'm thinking to myself, well, the whole world knows about this young woman and that she's your wife now and she's pregnant. I just don't see how you thought that cheating wasn't going to catch up to you. Everybody knows you're married, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, we saw the same thing happened to like David Letterman, and this is like tail as old as time. Don't trust a male celebrity when they get money, they turn into cheeters. That's the remix.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm like wow. And so it's clearly like she has this little crappy phone hidden in the corner or whatever. She had hit iten in the corner. So it wasn't like, you know, he was like taking obvious pictures with her or anything.
Speaker 2: So shout out to her from she must have watched Girls Trip, because this was like a plotline Girls Trip.
Speaker 1: You know what. I didn't like though, when he did his little apology, he was like, oh, I have a target on my back. I'm like, no, sir, you I mean the fact of the matters, you cheated, and you know, I mean men, she you know, not all men, thankfully, but men. She just apologize for that, and you don't need to do an open casting call for your whatever, like you know, that's between you and your wife now. And everyone was like, ooh, I know. His ex wife was like I told you, I told you, you know, because it was kind of like, oh, she's just bitter. She's just mad because he left her before he blew up, and she didn't get the spoils of all his his like big celebrity stuff now and so now she's just probably like, well, you know, hey, here we are like I told you that he cheated on me. He admitted it, but you know it wasn't ask forthcoming. And now you guys get to see I don't know, it was just everybody on my Facebook. We're not everybody, but it was just the topic of deep discussion a lot of different men. I saw a lot of men say like, oh, you know, blaming that I guess the young woman that taped him. And then you know, of course women are like excuse his excuses.
Speaker 2: She's trash too, but for another reason, like it's pretty shitty. It's it's illegal obviously, I mean, but but the uh but I mean, come on, when you're a celebrity, you take on, Yeah, there's a target on your back. Like that's just like one of the that's one of the downsides more money.
Speaker 1: More problems exactly. And then I mean I just think to myself, like, well, I just I mean, I'm just imagining that, like if you cheat with like twenty girls, somebody is probably going to try to extort you, like you know what I mean, Like, you're just at a position now where people are going to think that they could get money for I think she was trying to get like four hundred and fifty thousand dollars. I'm like, wow, you're reaching, man, You're reaching.
Speaker 2: That's in your pants. That's like the number one. That's like good financial advice for celebrity men. Just keep it just you know? Is it that hard?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: I think it's just like the level of narcissism too. Like the first thing he did was get on Instagram and post a tell all confessional. Like I'd be like, where you should be kissed, like bowing down to your wife or I don't know, going to like make amends or something.
Speaker 1: You should you know, take a break a pregnant lady. Oh I know, Like I mean, like I said, I don't know, you know, I don't know their personal life even though we disgusted it. It so I don't know if they cheated when he was with his wife. But I'm like, wow, she's pregnant. That can't be easy. You know.
Speaker 2: Well, since we're on the entertainment segment of our of our of our show today, do you want to talk real quick? I need to give a shout out to Donald Glover. Like there was so much brown power, brown magic at the emmysh.
Speaker 1: I didn't see it. Do tell you're turned now you're up.
Speaker 2: Yes please? So Donald Glover for Best Director of a Comedy Series for Atlanta, which was major. Sterling K. Brown was the first black man since nineteen ninety eight I believe to win the Best Actor in a Drama. Ooh, and Lena Wath and as He's a Onzari won for their episode of Master of None for writing, which was huge. I mean, Lena Wait is like, first of all, the first black queer, I think, the first woman black woman to win in this category. But then on top of that, she's also queer, so it's like double whammy. And episode they won for our one four was like the episode of Master of None. If you haven't watched it, even if like you don't watch the whole series, just go and watch this episode and Master of None. It's on Netflix. It's called The Thanksgiving I think it's called The Thanksgiving Dinner or something, but it's it's like a half hour, and over the course of this half hour, it's the story of Lena Wait's character coming out to her mom at Thanksgiving and it features Angela Bassett. Oh yeah, now, we did talk about this because I messed up the name I said it was Jackie Jackie Harre and it was yes, yes, yeah, it was what's her name?
Speaker 1: I forget, don't even ask me. I'm like, lo, I'm not even gonna go there, but I know exactly who you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, anyway, So it was just really exciting, and like I think it was the most it was the most diverse nominations in Emmy history, and everyone was sort of like patting themselves in the back. There was some snubs, like Easter Ray didn't get nominated, I don't think, which is kind of sad, but she was there looking amazing, and I don't know, it was just it felt really, it felt really the vibe. The vibe was much different. I think ever since like all that Oscar so White controversy, I think I think that's the situation when like the the awards and like the entertainment business really actually rose to the call.
Speaker 1: Did Ray? Did you see what? She? They were like, who are you rooting for? She said, I'm everybody black? I thought that was I said that that ain't Brian ambition. I don't know whether.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so are you ready to boost?
Speaker 1: Are you ready to break?
Speaker 2: H okay, I'm ready?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: You want to go first, sure, I'm going to do a break, okay from the How do I do this in a way where people I work with who listen to the podcast won't to use it against me? I think I'm talking about them. But here's my break because I well, first of all, it's meetings, Like I want to do a break from meetings in general. I think that there is a way. I think there is like a way to do a meeting in a really really effective I'm getting better at my meetings. I think most meetings can be fifteen minutes. But I was literally trapped in a three hour meeting like not long ago, and I was sitting there, like, how are we still sitting here? How is this meeting still happening? We're all you know, And I think that it just takes away It just sucks so much time out of the workday. But like, what do you do when the meeting isn't your meeting? You've just been called into it, and it's like you're not really running the show. I I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, Honestly, I can't even tell you because thankfully, like I do so I meet with everyone and we're getting a little bit too big for that now. But I meet with everyone on my staff for like fifteen to twenty minutes on Monday, so I usually like they'll be back to back, So I'm like, all right, I have a call with you at ten, then you at ten thirty, and then you at eleven eleven thirty. So they before it was maybe like five or six, and now that we're a little bit bigger, I'm going to start grouping folks together. But we really we purposefully. I purposefully do it, and I make that like the next person they have to call me. So it forces me that when we're having our fifteen minute because I'm like, I don't want to be on the phone back to back to back, so like I have a bit of a reprieve. It forces me to get it done in fifteen minutes, like you know, hey, what's up, how you doing? Okay, what are you working on? What do you need support with? All? Right?
Speaker 3: Bye?
Speaker 1: Go? You know. So so no, but because I get it, because I thankfully I don't. I don't work in corporate America, and I haven't I haven't had to like sit, but I've definitely had to sit in meetings in general. So I've been trying to be very mindful to be like, you know, if you can't get it out in like fifteen minutes, like the basic gist, then there's usually an issue, you know, and then we just follow up in slack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that it's like the shorter meeting, but it's also it's it's also I mean, it can be good. Like, for example, we've created this monthly chime in meeting chime in, which has helped because you know, you're when you're creating like a product, and you and and you know you're owning the product and you're sort of creating it and your team is creating it, and then it goes live right and it's out there, and then you have people reaching out to you and saying, hey this, why don't you do this? What about this? And what about that? Like they're chiming in after something that you own has already been out there, and then that chime in noise gets really confusing. So one thing I actually do, like is we created a monthly chime in meeting so people reserve their opinions and then we actually have a meeting so that people aren't being pinged and slacked and emailed and like bothered about small minor things that people's opinions like throughout the month, and it gives a forum for everyone to sort of here's your here's your chance to kind of weigh in on what happened the month prior and have your your feedback. So in that case, like that's a meeting Where'm like, hey, that's actually useful because it removes a bunch of bothersome you know, commentary throughout the month. And I was really pleased when we added that to our schedule. But I could definitely do without the three hour traps.
Speaker 1: So I'm going to boost I'm not sure if I talked about this, did I talk about Game of Thrones?
Speaker 2: You always you always bring up Game of Thrones only to tell me that you don't watch it, So I'm curious what you have to say about it.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm going to boost Game of Thrones because Superman and I we're trying to find more things that we have in common that are like chillid back things, like you know, we wost like the movies and like eating out and stuff, but like when it comes time for TV, we tend to be very separate. Like I'll be like, all right, I'm going upstairs and I'm like, no, you know, because I don't like he likes sports and that damn. I love HGTV and he can watch, but after like hour two he's like I now do. And he and Supergirl both really like comic book like Marvel and all that kind of stuff. They both like those type of movies, which I do enjoy, so I'll watch those, but I don't like the cartoons. So when they turn those on, I'm like, I'm out. And so I said, there's gotta be something that he and I both enjoy that we can watch and kind of binge on. And so this past Saturday, so maybe like a week ago, we started watching Game of Thrones and we both enjoyed it. And then I said, babe, why don't we binge watch on Saturday? And we did and it was so much fun. We literally just laid in bed binge watch ate and lay in bed and so like the evening. And so I want to boost Game of Thrones because it was such a nice, like a day.
Speaker 2: You're making it sound like it's like a delightful family show. I know, meanwhy, it's just a great program. The incest, the beheadings, I know, the child murder, I know right.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, but we're we're on.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited though, now I can talk to you about it. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Wait, I'm still in the beginning. I know.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to say anything. Don't worry.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're only on season two so we're still really early. But I'm not gonna lie. Started a little slow. I was like, come on now, but.
Speaker 2: It doesna start. It's gonna pick up, don't you worry.
Speaker 1: What I'm already like, wait a minute, no, Draco or whatever the Tdarian name is, why did you have to die? And I'm like, wait, she's a dragon.
Speaker 3: Wait, what's going on?
Speaker 1: And so there's so many great like I'm really like getting into it and it's getting really good. So I'm excited. So that's my my booze. Thank you for granmed Game of Thrones, for bringing me and Superman just that much closer together over violence and sexual inappropriateness.
Speaker 2: It's so good and it stays good too, and since seasons season seven just ended, and like you're in the best position because now you get to enjoy it without like worrying about people posting on it, you know, on Twitter about what happened in last episode. Like you can just relax and ben.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I'm not gonna lie. Like the good things. I don't remember any of the spoilers because I didn't get what they were talking about, so I'm like whatever what that means? So I don't even remember. But so yeah, I'm excited because it's been good. So we try to watch maybe like an episode of Night before we go to sleep, which might not be the best idea, but whatever, like oh, dreaming about Game of Thrones. But yeah, it's just been great. So thank you Game of Thrones, Thank you Hbow.
Speaker 2: Fantastic.
Speaker 1: So I know we have a really good question we do?
Speaker 2: Did you I send it? Did I send it to? I did?
Speaker 1: Okay, No you did. It was very, very very juicy. I was like, whoa, somebody twists and turns?
Speaker 2: Okay, So yeah, Berne read today's question. If you guys want to leave a question, go to brandanbishpodcast dot com, hit ask us anything and send us your question. This question is from someone who'd like to be called Tracy fair enough, really interesting. I'm not even sure if I have a good answer, but I think that this is definitely a situation where I feel for her, and so let's get to Tracy's question, so she says, I'm twenty six twenty six years old, and I have a three year old son his dad. My boyfriend and I have been together for the past five years. Neither of us have very good credit, but we're working to improve our scores. We both have dreams of home ownership, but right now we're renting a house from a private owner. But let's just say our dream house went to our worst nightmare really quickly. We initially signed a twelve month lease. Everything was fine at first, we had hardly any contact with our landlord, but when it came time for us to sign a new lease, the landlord told us we'd now be on a month to month contract instead of the traditional one year lease. I felt like something was fishy at that point, but I continued on with the agreement. So flash forward to two Flash forward to two months later. After the lease was signed, my boyfriend came home one day and realized that we had an eviction notice on our door. After the first eviction notice we received, there was one more, and then another one in person. Our landlord told us that the house was costing more money than he was making, and we had thirty days to move. Guys, this is my worst this is any parents worst nightmare. A week later, we discovered the house was actually in the beginning stages of foreclosure and really within thirty days, and within those thirty days we were unable to find a new place. So here's her question. Here's sort of what she's going through. My family is religious and wouldn't let both of us move back in due to us not being married. My boyfriend is from a different state where we live, and we don't have a lot of family here who could help us. We have decent jobs, but we live in different households and it's been impossible for us to save. We both have limited time at our We have limited time at our current living situation, so it sounds like they're both living separately until they figure out a permanent place to stay. And due to our credit not being the best around five hundred and twenty, we also have limited options on rental places that we prove us. Do you have any tips or advice on how we can try to save for a new place quickly without having any backup savings. Poor Tracy, that sucks.
Speaker 1: I know, well, one I was just taking like a quick like like Googles, and so I'm on the Consumer Finance dot gov website and it says, like, what should I do with my house or the apartment I'm renting? Goals into foreclosure. So one, I don't know if you're already out of the home, but if you're not, it says if your landlord stops paying the mortgage for closing proceedings may happen. Some state and local law may offer protection for renters in the foreclosure process. More information about the landlord tenant laws in your state is available here. So one thing I do know. So, for example, in New Jersey, I remember when I was house hunting, there was a house in particular where the woman there was a woman who was living there and the part of I guess selling the house, the man who was owning the house didn't want to be in charge of evicting her if we wanted to buy the house. And I remember specifically one of my friends, who is a real estate investor, said what kind of lease do they have? And I said, you know, is it? It's I think it's month to month. That's better, right, And she was like, no, actually that it's actually easier to guess. I guess remove someone who has a it's harder to remove someone who has a month to monthly like you have to give them like more time than someone who actually has an annual least that you're breaking. So one just figure out the law in your state if you haven't moved out, because you might not have to move out in Latin least until the foreclosure proceeding is fully concluded and that might take a while. So if you haven't moved yet, I wouldn't because he cannot forcibly remove you depending on what state that you live in if you have already kind of are like, you know, moving what I One of the places that I look for when I or that when I didn't have great credit and I was looking to rent. A great place to look, honestly is Craigflist, because you can a lot of Yes, you're not gonna likely get an apartment in like an apartment building, but oftentimes if you find another homeowner, they're willing to kind of work with the fact that you don't have the greatest credit. Because I didn't, so I used to be able to call the homeowner and once they meet me and they say, oh, she's a nice young lady. My credit's not that great, but I am able to you know, pay rent. Here's how let me show you, like, you know, like, if you paid this. I'm assuming you paid this other guy. I don't know if it was cash or or check or whatever. If you could bring your bake statements showing that every month it was paid, A person is more likely to say okay than than a rental office. So I would definitely look at Craigslist, looking at potentially running from another homeowner until you guys can figure out what to do. But those would be my two suggestions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I went through this. I went through something similar when I moved to New York. I'm a little bit kind of similar. I didn't realize I had such bad credit because I was twenty two when I moved here, and I didn't realize during college because I never really used credit that someone opened up a credit card in my name and I had and hadn't paid it in like five years, and this is on my credit report, and I had no idea. So when I when I like, you know, brown eye, blue, what do you call it? Bright eyed and bushy tail, like, strolled up to this apartment, you know application and was denied I was like, what the heck is happening? How could you deny me? And I discovered this issue and I had to like dispute it on my credit report, and that can take like forty five to sixty days or something like that. So I ended up having to make an appeal to my landlord. And it was a private owner, like she was working with an attorney who was, you know, working on the contract or the least. But I went to her and I showed her a copy of the dispute. I showed her my bank statements, and I had a reference letter from a prior landlord that I gave her, and that was enough for her to say, Okay, I'm going to take a chance on you, you know I I you know, I kind of she kind of felt bad for me. So, I mean, the least this landlord, maybe you can at least get him to write your reference letter, you know, yeah, and write you know, they were always always on time with their rental payments, and you know, or prior landlord or anyone who can sort of vouch for your responsibility. Yeah, I think that. I So I agree with what you're saying, like trying to find another private owner, which is probably why they had a private owner in the first place, and.
Speaker 1: Lots of people go that round, so look for that private owner. You know what, I don't know if there's any schools or universities in your city or neighboring city, because here's why, because like, for example, New York, New Jersey, where I live, is a college town. There's like maybe like five or six colleges, and so they tend to be a little bit more laxed when it comes to renting because you know, students don't have the best credit. So it was easier for me when my credit was bad and I didn't have a whole lot of money to find more affordable housing and more flexible landlords in like a college town because it was like they were used to dealing with that type of renter, you see what I mean. So just like you know, so yeah, I would say that too. And like sometimes your local like I know, we have NJ dot Com. That's another place that a lot of private homeowners, So your local newspapers some like private homeowners will post there too. So if you're looking, because you're likely going to have to go with another private homeowner, but find out where they post and look there, Tracy.
Speaker 2: I know, Tracy, rebuild that credit man credits power.
Speaker 1: It is it is, are you now? Okay?
Speaker 2: I was going to say one last one, last resort, although it sounds like maybe their family isn't so helpful as they could potentially ask for someone to co sign Elise. Of course that puts that person at risk, but that's just that's another option. So Tracy, good luck, follow up with us. Let us know if you are able to find a place, let us know. And the rest of you guys leave us your questions at runimbition podcast dot com or send us an email at run Ambition Podcasts at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: It's Winds as in when, well, we should call it Wednesday since we're on Wednesdays now, I'm here all night, ladies and gentlemen, did up dumb chain Wednesday?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: So I've been excited. I have been aching to share this wins because I think it's so dope. So those of you you already have heard of travel Noir.
Speaker 2: Right, oh yeah, yep.
Speaker 1: And then most of us have heard of Blavity because we actually had working on the other one of the founders of Blavity, didn't we have working.
Speaker 2: On we've had both of them on right.
Speaker 1: No, we no, we didn't have Travel Noir. Her name is Zim. We've had no madness. We had a Vita. Oh yeah, I know, don't worry, it's you know. But so anyway, what's so dope is Blavity has purchased Travel Noir, which is like so awesome because Blavity is this I can't I don't even think you can call it a startup anymore, but it's this dope media center for black millennials. And Travenoir is a black millennial focused travel I don't even know if you could call it, like I guess it's a movement. But you know, they host trips, they have all these kind of educational sessions where they teach people how to travel and live abroad. And they have like a really robust social media component where you know, they post really beautiful pictures and so they've combined their their their powers and them. Who is the founder of Travenoir. She is still going to be obviously a major part. I think she's a chief brand officer. But yeah, but that's just so awesome that a Brown company purchased a Brown company.
Speaker 2: I was about to say, you never hear that it's right.
Speaker 1: That is Honestly, it blew my mind and it was on tech Crunch and I was like, how freaking awesome is that? So yeah, just kudos that. And you could just tell, like I like, if you follow her name is I think if you follow either Traven Noir on I believe on Instagram or maybe it was zim on Instagram, but if you follow her, you got to see like how the reception at the office and how excited she was. And it's just because it was clear that they bought them a out of a space of like respect and you know what I mean, it wasn't this like hostile takeover. You know that, like I get you, you get me, We're even better together. So I'm just excited about that.
Speaker 2: It seems like the perfect combination. Yeah, definitely, Well congrats, Yeah, congratt.
Speaker 1: It's awesome.
Speaker 2: Where absolutely my win is gonna be for the epic nap I'm about to take. Now that's a week. I mean, I'm just gonna I'm gonna do the obvious when that we haven't even a knowledge. Happy two year anniversary, Dode, you.
Speaker 1: Know what, two days it's our anniversary.
Speaker 2: Technically five days ago but that's great fun. I guess we're I guess we're getting too comfortable in our relationship.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: We didn't plan anything, so.
Speaker 1: You know, we should plan something special. What should we do?
Speaker 2: Well, we're gonna have some new picks coming soon. We're gonna have a nice, little new fresh look.
Speaker 1: But I feel like we should still have a dinner or something like we did last time. You know, it'd be nice to see some folks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd love to do their dinner. I mean, are we making the plan right now? Because I'm no, let's do that.
Speaker 1: Let's but we have to figure out a way. So, you know, we've got to figure out a way to to like invite folks like last time, and you know, something that they have to do in order to be qualified to have dinsin with Mindy Mindy. Oh my god, my bad. I was trying to like make it rhyme din din with Mandy and Tiffany. But then men, you know that kind of anyway, we should have dinner and we should force them to come to Jersey because now we're both Jersey girls.
Speaker 2: Oh that's true. Yeah, I can't believe it' spent two years.
Speaker 1: I know, we're all grown and stuff. You know, we're walking we come yo, this is the same episode. I feel like we haven't sung this month since the beginning.
Speaker 2: Well, you're welcome. It's a rare treat. We went right through.
Speaker 1: No, that's so awesome. I mean, like, you know, who would have dunke it that we would come this far? All you awesome listeners. You know, you guys get so much great feedback. You know. I love when, you know, I get like the little ding on Facebook Messenger, like hey, someone left you a message, and it's like, oh my god, I love you guys so much. And I'm like, really, because I was asking one of my staff members, YadA Leavese, hey girl, she was like, you know, she was telling me something that I said on the last podcast, and I'm like, I said that because I don't think you guys realize I'm actually friends with Mandy in real life. So sometimes we're just talking and then I'm like, wait, I said that. So that's what makes it so awesome because it's like, oh, I get to talk to my friend for a full hour and some change once a week, and so it's like you guys get to peek in to us chit chatting.
Speaker 2: I think that's why the show works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so that's what's awesome. So yeah, so let's definitely have a dinner. Maybe next time we can, well, we'll have we'll work out the deeds about what that should be, like something small like last time, you know, like ten folks or something. It'll be on us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's Popo in Jersey, right.
Speaker 1: I know that was the list. Oh I'm vegan, now.
Speaker 2: Are you gonna okay, we're still vegan?
Speaker 1: All right, look I forgot, I'm like, wait, I'm vegan. Now we gotta find someplace that like, well, we can still do it as long as there's some because I could have plant in rice, so we can still do it. I would just have to make sure that, like, you know, there's enough yumminess that I could eat that doesn't you know, that doesn't involve meat or dairy.
Speaker 2: We'll work it out. Yay, two years, almost half a million downloads. Oh my good, big times.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, let's get to a million. I wanted if we did we did half a million in two years, Let's do a million in one year.
Speaker 1: That is, we can do it, so that means we need your help. We should do that at the end of every podcast, Guys, you need to share with one awesome listener potential listener how awesome we are and say did you have you listened to Brad Ambition. You need to Okay, I need you to post it on your social media. Tag us on Facebook, tweet it out, Instagram it just you know, share.
Speaker 2: It and leave us reviews. Never forget the reviews. They're super important. That's how we keep burning up the charts in the business and career sections. All your lovely reviews. So don't forget to leave a review if you haven't. If you're new to the show and you haven't yet, go do it. Much appreciated.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh this is awesome.