Speaker 1: I came from a beautiful neighborhood, had a beautiful life. I went to sleep because September seventh was the first day of my high school year.
Speaker 2: I was going to be a senior.
Speaker 1: At twenty two, I was set to start college.
Speaker 2: I woke up and my life was never the same again.
Speaker 1: Cops came out with guns drawn, and I never saw freedom ever since after that.
Speaker 2: It's like roach mode town.
Speaker 1: Once you get in, you and I can'tnam.
Speaker 2: This is wrong for conviction with Jason Flamm, I'm particularly thrilled today to have as our guest my good friend Doug Delosa. Doug, welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you, Jason.
Speaker 2: Having worked with the Nisis Project now for twenty years as my role as a founding board member, I thought I had heard everything until I heard Doug's story. So you were living in Louisiana, right, I grew up there.
Speaker 1: I was born and raised in New Orleans, Louisiana. At the time, I wasn't living in New Orleans proper, but I was living just outside of New Orleans in the city of Kenna. I was married. My wife and I had been together a little over ten years. We had two beautiful children, a son who was seven at the time and a daughter who was five.
Speaker 2: Right, So you had a little yard and basically some neighbors and sort of like we think of in New York, we think everything's a cull the sack. Right, we have this strange region America as a series of called the Sack. But basically, am I paying the right picture?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Until it all went wrong?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, until that American dream turned into the American nightmare.
Speaker 2: Right, And it's a nightmare of proportions that are impossible to overstate. You were at home with your wife and kids, right, and tell us what happened.
Speaker 1: It was a typical Friday evening in our lives. Fast forward to about two thirty in the morning on Saturday morning, September twenty seventh, and I woke up, sat up in bed. I heard a noise. The noise that I was positive I heard was our pet parrot, squawking and fluttering around in its cage. I get up from bed, Tell my wife, I'm going to check on Andy. That was the name of the bird.
Speaker 2: And what was your wife's name.
Speaker 1: My wife's name was Glinda. Right, I get up, I go downstairs. As soon as I got to the foot of the stairs. One person came from the side of me, out of our bathroom area, and this person immediately struck me with an object that I think was a piece of mob pandle or a broomstick. Another person came from the kitchen area and immediately knocked me to the ground, and the two individuals, I don't know how long it lasted, probably less than thirty seconds, kicked me, beat me until I lost consciousness. Sometime later I was regaining consciousness. I'm not sure how long I laid on the floor, but I realized thing that sort of frightened me. At first, I couldn't move my fans and feet were tied behind my back. I was hog tied, and I was struggling to gain consciousness and put my thought process together to figure out what had happened. After whether it was one minute or ten minutes, I started calling for my wife. Didn't get any response at all.
Speaker 2: So you're at the foot of the stairs, at the.
Speaker 1: Foot of the stairs, inside of what would have been our den, right.
Speaker 2: And she's and she's upstairs, she's upstairs, upstairs in the bedroom.
Speaker 1: Getting no response at all from my wife. I called for my seven year old son, Dennis. And on the third of the fourth call from my son, I heard him stirring upstairs. He answered me. Initially, he went into the master bedroom and I could hear him say, Daddy, where are you. I see Mommy, but she's sleeping, and I said, Daddy's downstairs. Please come downstairs. He came downstairs and I told him, Dennis, two bad men had broken in the house and they hurt Daddy. But I'm gonna be all right. I need you to untie my hands. He couldn't untie my hands because the rope was tied so tightly. Then I asked him to go in the kitchen, please get a knife and try to cut the rope. He came back with a knife, but he was panicking because he said, Daddy, I'm scared because I can see four legs under the blind or the curtain in the kitchen leading out to the patio. I can see people standing on the patio, and I'm afraid it's the bad men that hurt you. And I sort of panicked myself then, and I said, Dennis, pick up the phone. The phone was right there on the landing of the stairs. I said dial nine one one, and he immediately picked up the phone dial nine one one. He says, what do I say? And I said, just tell him you need help, that your daddy's hurt. And you had seen two men standing on the patio. I don't think he told them that exact anyway, he got their attention, and within minutes police arrived on the scene.
Speaker 2: And then the police arrive on the scene. And then this is where things start to really get crazy, right, because it seems like a pretty simple situation. You're hog tied. Right.
Speaker 1: The police enter. The first thing one of them does is kneel down next to me, ask me if I'm all right. I guess I basically tell him, yeah, I'm fine. He doesn't untime, he doesn't do anything, and I hear another officer goes upstairs, and at that point in time, the next thing I hear him is kicking a door off the hinges. And it turned out that after my son had gone in the bedroom when I called him and he found his mother what he described as being asleep, he must have pulled the door shut behind him and it just automatically locked. So so he kicks in the door. He kicks in the door. When he kicks in the door, he really startles my daughter, who's in the bedroom next door, and she starts crying hysterically, and at that point then my son starts crying hysterically. And I'm I'm getting pretty hysterical myself, laying on the floor. I'm still hogtied, and I'm telling you what's going on, what's going on? And policeman is trying to restrain me and keep me on the ground.
Speaker 2: Which is not that hard.
Speaker 1: You're but go ahead, and I'm like, and he says, don't worry, Everything'll be fine, and I mean, within moments, it seems like ambulance attendants arrived on the scene. I couldn't hear exactly what they were being told, but they were being told something about my wife was in the bedroom upstairs and that somebody needed to get my daughter and bring her downstairs, which they did. And again I don't know how much time was elapsing, but at some point in time, more police officers arrived on the scene. Eventually someone cut me free. Moments after they cut me free, they told me that I would have to be taken to the emergency room and that the other paramedic team was working on my wife and i'd see her there, and also at some point in time they asked me if there was anybody that they could call to take care of my children. I'm being treated in the emergency room. I don't know how much later again, was it ten or fifteen minutes? Was it an hour later? My brother and a priest come into the emergency room, and they informed me that my wife had been killed.
Speaker 2: And at this point, you're I mean, You've just been through an impossibly traumatic experience, and now you're getting hit with this news, and the whole world must be collapsing around you. At this point in time.
Speaker 1: It was pretty hard to believe what I was being told. I think I almost went in the shock when they told me my wife had been killed, And I mean, I just can't process what I'm being told and come up with any logical reason why it had happened.
Speaker 2: And then you get back with your kids and try to piece things back together. You had given the police the information that they wanted right about it, basically the story that you just told us.
Speaker 1: I had recalled everything I could remember to the police.
Speaker 2: Except for when you were unconscious, of course, which was that's the only missing part. And then they were having trouble solving the case.
Speaker 1: Right, There had been considerable criticism of the police department for not solving having any viable leads in this case, demanding to know from the police chief what were they doing, how were they protecting the neighborhood. I had gotten a little bit vocal, and I probably said on more than one occasion, all of these stupid son of a bitches need to be fired because they don't appear to know what they're doing. Their actions were, in my mind, reminiscent of the old Keystone cops in slapstick comedies, because they just didn't appear to be very.
Speaker 2: Bright, right, Okay, And so obviously the police, you know, they're feeling a lot of pressure and they're feeling a little they're getting their back up about this, right, right. So then comes the craziest part, in some ways the craziest part of the story, right, which is that now we're three months from the day to the crime basically.
Speaker 1: Right, we're now the morning of December twenty ninth.
Speaker 2: I was it's hot, it's hot, inis, it's.
Speaker 1: Very warm in Louisiana. I'm deciding I'm going to put out the Christmas tree. It's starting. It was a live tree. It's starting to drop needles all over, so I tell my children I'll be right back. I'm just going to put the Christmas tree out for the trash. I've got a pair of cutoff jeans on, nothing else. And as I'm putting the tree in the back of my house by the curve for the trash, I hear Doug Delosa turn around and I sort of turn around, and I'm likes in shock. I have no idea how many police officers are there, at minimum of six, maybe ten or more. I have many no idea how many news cameras are there. Probably as many personnel were there as there were police officers pointing cameras at me, and the police pointing guns at me, and they say, you know why we're We're here to rest you for the murder or your wife. And I'm just like thinking to myself, this can't be true. You know, this nightmare just keeps getting worse and worse. I knew that I had been labeled to suspect, but I never, in my wildest imagination thought that it would evolve into an arrest. I'm not dressed except for with a pair of cutoffs on. My children are in their pajamas, and I asked the one detective, could I please go dress my children and call somebody to take them well. As I was changing their clothes, I turned to this man who couldn't have been more than two to three feet away from me, standing right in my face, and I asked him. I said, detective Dote, why are you doing this to me? Why are you doing this to my children? You know that I didn't kill my wife. And this police officer when I asked him that question, he had the look of a wild man on his face, and he almost, I don't know how to describe it. His voice was almost venomous, and he says, man, fuck you, fuck your children, and fuck that dead wife of yours. I didn't ask that stupid bitch to die in my city. And he goes on to say, he says, why should I give a fuck about you or your children? Do you care about me and my children? My job's on the line, and he said, you have asked that I be terminated in competence. Well, you know what, I don't know who did it. Maybe I know you didn't do it, but I can build the case against you, So you're it.
Speaker 2: So you're you know, you go to trial, and well, they withheld several critical pieces of evidence from the defense, that which is called the Brady violation, which which would have excluded you and would have led to you being found innocent. Do you want to talk about that.
Speaker 1: The trial from start to finish, nine days had passed, and from the very beginning, the two district attorneys prosecuting me told the jury that they were never going to hear any direct evidence that tied me to this crime. That basically what they were trying to convict me on was a theory of how I did it and why I did it, And what was going to be important to the jury to find me guilty was that I had no evidence to support my story that two black men broke into my house that night, beat me unconscious, hogtied me, and at some point in time killed my wife.
Speaker 2: Right now, But the reason we know that you couldn't provide any proof is because they were withholding the proof that they had. They had the investigators. You didn't have investigators. They had all the guys sweeping the house and doing the whole thing exactly.
Speaker 1: They were fingerprints found in several places throughout the house that didn't belong to me, any of my family members, any of our friends, anyone, any member of the investigative team that had all been ruled out. And these fingerprints found throughout the house belonged to someone, but we have no idea who they belonged to.
Speaker 2: But they didn't tell you that.
Speaker 1: No, their fingerprint expert committed perjury on the stand when he said absolutely no other fingerprints were found in the house.
Speaker 2: Can we talk about the cab driver for a second, because that's one to me, that's one that's always stuck in my mind. It's really you.
Speaker 1: Know, sometime after I was arrested, well, actually let's back up to right after my wife's funeral, three days after the murder, a taxi driver came forward to the Kent of Police Department and he said, I think I may have some testimony that would help you catch the people who killed this lady, meaning my wife. And as the story goes in his written deposition to the police, he was dropping off affair in that neighborhood, which at that time was exclusively white. There would have been no reason whatsoever to have seen blacks in that particular neighborhood.
Speaker 2: At least aboot three in the morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, least of all at three to four o'clock in the morning. And he goes on to give in his written deposition that as he was driving down this one street, he saw two black men leaving the vicinity of the front of my house carrying what would have fit the description of some of the items I told police were taken from my house. And he says that as his lights shone on the two men, it appeared that they panicked. They ran to a silver van that was waiting, and they sped off in a reckless manner. And he found that very unusual and thought it was important to bring that testimony to the police, which he did.
Speaker 2: As it was, But they, of course withheld that from the defense illegally.
Speaker 1: They withheld that and said that there was nobody had ever seen anything regarding any black men in that neighborhood, much less in the vicinity of my home. Now fast forward another six to seven months. I'm at trial. This good citizen is reading in the newspaper and hearing on the TV that I'm undergoing a trial for the murder of my wife. Well, he just doesn't understand, and at this point he doesn't trust the police because he's already gone to the police twice. So he shows up at the courthouse somehow manages to talk to one of the two or maybe perhaps both, of the district attorneys who were trying the case, and he tells his story to them, and they very nonchalantly brush him off and said, oh, don't worry. We presented your written statement to mister Dolosa's attorney. He reviewed, but in light of the overwhelming evidence against him, he knows that your testimony wouldn't do any good, so he decided not to call you as a witness, which was a total lie. They hadn't given any of that information to my attorney. And one of the biggest parts of their case was over and over again they repeated to the jury, no one repeat, no one saw anything suspicious in that neighborhood that night, much less two black men. And that's why you must find mister Dolosa guilty because he was lying.
Speaker 2: The jury comes back, they find you guilty and sends you to life in prison. Now, the only thing that can make it worse is they're going to send you to what is arguably the worst prison in America in Louisiana, which is this date, which has the highest prison population. By far, Louisiana does have three times higher rate of incarceration than the rest of the country per capita, and of course America has a five times higher rate than the rest of the world. So it's off the chain. But now you're being sent to Angola prison farm, and let's talk about that. Well.
Speaker 1: Arriving at the Louisiana State Penitentiary, which they call Angola, it was beyond culture shock. I didn't know what to expect. I'd heard numerous rumors that scared the hell out of me. But I arrived at Angola and one of the first things that I guess was really strange was they put you in an initial classification to decide where you're going to be housed. And I'm going before these classification offices and they decide that they're going to put me in a work cell block for my protection rather than general population. And then they make a statement that's pretty odd. They said that they don't have a white cell available to put me in, so I'd have to be sent to a security cell while they prepare a white cell. And I'm like, what the hell is a white cell. At that time, they still believed in segregating the white and black prisoners at Angola, they didn't mix white and blacks in the same cell. But my very first night in Angola, I'm in a disciplinary tier and I'm in a cell, and there's someone down the tier in another cell acting up, and at some point in time, he throws human waste on a security guard, and I'm just like, scared shitless. I don't know what's going on. Their guards would appear to be swat uniforms and riot shields and everything coming down the tier. They're dragging this person out by force. They're beaten him, and I guess I'm curious. I'm sort of looking, you know, I guess maybe I should have known better than to try to look. When one of the gods saw me looking, He's like, what the fuck are you looking at? He turns around and sprayed me with a pepper spray of mace for about twenty thirty seconds wow. And the only thing I knew was my lungs were burning, my face was burning, and it was sort of like a welcomed Angola. That was my first night in the penitentiary.
Speaker 2: So and then things get even crazier. So you end up working on a chain gang is that right.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know that chain gang is a little bit misleading because we're not actually linked by chains.
Speaker 2: Right, But it's a term that applies.
Speaker 1: To it's a group of inmates working under the supervision of gun guards on.
Speaker 2: Horses in the swamps.
Speaker 1: It could be swamps, it could be anywhere on the farm.
Speaker 2: Here's a clip where Burl camee the warden talks about the infamous history of Louisiana State Penitentiary.
Speaker 3: The work in the farm is critical, Angela. That's what it is. It's a plantation prison. It was that way throughout its entire history, so very important that we have agriculture here on the farm that provides work for the inmate, which you know is good for them because they have something to do to use after energy and so forth.
Speaker 1: It turned out that I was working in what they called camp A Line twenty one under one of the most vicious inhuman farm bosses that Angola had at the time, and I found it difficult at my age and my physical condition to keep up with the average man who was only in their early twenties. And I'm thirty seven, thirty eight years old at this time, in horrible shape, but one of the things that this particular field foreman used to enjoy doing to torment the people under his supervision. He would put us, say on the levee cutting high grass with what they called the ditchbank blade, which is it's impossible to describe on air, but it's this huge, heavy cutting blade. And what he would do is they might have been close to one hundred men in the line. He would put us up on the levee and they would be two inmates with a water bucket, and he'd tell the people with the water bucket, I want y'all to move about a mile down on the road with the gun guard supervising you. And he said, y'all keep moving that water bucket and don't let anybody have water, because it says until ten people pass out from the heat, I'm not letting anybody drink water. And that was a typical day working for this man mac Shaw, where he would see people pass out fall out, as we'd say, from heat stroke, heat exhaustion, from lack of water, and once whatever number he arbitrarily determined he wanted to pass out and be carried off in the back of a truck for disciplinary purposes. Then he'd let everybody else have a drink of water.
Speaker 2: And then then things got really crazy because at one point you were singled out.
Speaker 1: It was at more than one point. I mean, it seemed it was something that happened day after day every time I'd go in the field. I never had the distinction of being one of the people. I guess I was fortunate enough that I could go without drinking water longer than other people that I might not be one of the first five to ten people to pass out from heatstroke and lack of water. But I certainly wasn't keeping up with the work quote according to this field forman, and he would just almost every day that I went to work, he would write me up on a disciplinary report, lock me up in administrative segregation to be disciplined by the disciplinary court. They would hear my case and say it would say something like I flatly refused to work. Well, I never ever flatly refused to work. I simply worked until I couldn't work anymore, or I worked at the fastest pace I was capable of. But the field foreman never wrote the truth on a disciplinary report, and the disciplinary board that helped court, they didn't they knew what the truth was, but they would just continue to stack punishment on you and I'd be sent back out to work.
Speaker 2: It's it's just I don't I can't even I can't find any words. The good news is you're a smart guy. You're a guy of an educated guy, somebody who can can really think for himself. So you get to the point where you realize, if you're going to get out, you're going to have to be the one to do it. Is that Is that a fair statement?
Speaker 1: That absolutely? And I would say that. I worked as a clerk in an air conditioned office in the print shop silk screen shop at Angola for a little bit over a year, but I knew I my ultimate goal was I want to get the hell out of prison. And everybody that I associated with said, you know, you'd probably be better off going to be what they call an inmate council substitute or prison lawyer working in the law library, and I finally decided I'd apply for that job. I did end up with a job over there, and over the next several years, I learned the law. I think I became pretty proficient with it, and after I had exhausted all of my appeals in state court. After I had gone through hundreds of thousands of dollars on about seven different lawyers who all promised to do something, but no one followed through and did what I hired him to do. I finally sat back, spent six months researching, in another two to three months writing my own federal writ one hundred percent on my own or with having other inmate councils review it give me their critique. I filed my rit of habeas corpus into the federal court system on my own. I didn't know what my chances were going to bed. I figured slim to none at best, but I felt like, at this point in time, if I'm denied, I'm going to be denied on my own terms, and I'll have given it my best shot. Finally, one day they call me for legal mail. So I get up at like five o'clock in the morning go eat breakfast. I went to the window where they pass out the legal mail. They had me a little brown envelope and I was scared shitless to open it.
Speaker 2: I'm like, because if it's if it's the wrong answer, you're done. This is your last appeal, right.
Speaker 1: It's the wrong answer, I had a plan to escape from Angola, and my escape from Mangola was I had enough drugs in my possession hidden that probably within twenty four hours, I was going to od and that's how I was going to get out of prison. And that had been something I had planned for months, anticipating a negative response from the court.
Speaker 2: So I'm getting the chills right now. So you've got this envelope and it's gonna basically tell you whether you're gonna live or die. At this point, you've been in prison for fourteen years.
Speaker 1: Fourteen years. It's been a long time, exactly. I'd put up with as much as I felt like I could live with. And I felt like my children were getting up in age, and as much as I love them, as much as I felt that they loved me, they continue to visit me almost every opportunity that they got. I felt I was doing them a disservice I having them come to visit me in prison, by having them try to explain to their friends in college, well, why can't you hang out with us this weekend? Oh, because I'm going to the penitentiary to see my dad. And I think I probably was looking at it the wrong way, and I know I would have heard them tremendously, but I felt like the best thing for myself and for my children in the long run was to take my life.
Speaker 2: Fortunately it didn't come to that. Because you're sitting here now, and so you've got this envelope, what do you do? Do you open it?
Speaker 1: I went to the law library where I worked, and I locked it in the bottom cabinet. I'm like, I'm the only person here this early in the morning. I just need somebody else around me when I open this up. So about half hour forty five minutes later, a couple of my close friends at work in the law library lived around me. They came in and I told then my one friend, Mike Singletary, who was my closest friend in the law library at that time. I said, Mike, I got my decision from the Federal court. And he says, well, what's it say? I said, I don't know, Mike, I don't have the nerve to open it. And he says, oh my god, he said, come on, give me that envelope. I'll open it for you. So I said, I said yeah, but I said he took it out of my hands after I got it out of the cabinet. He opened it and I said, now, let me read it, Mike, don't so. I took a couple of big, deep breasts, and I don't know how. My heart was probably beaten two hundred beats a minute, and I was shaking.
Speaker 2: And mine is right now, and I know the aser, and.
Speaker 1: I opened the writ to the last page, and all of a sudden, I just stopped shaking, and I guess sort of a smile over my face, and for the first time since my wife's funeral, I cried. I started crying almost uncontrollably, when I read that the magistrate judge recommended that my conviction be set aside and that I'll be freed. I just, against all odds, I went up against the most conservative federal magistrate in the Eastern District for the State of Louisiana, who, according to what I had been told, had never before granted a writ filed by an inmate on their own. Behalf.
Speaker 2: That's a happy ending to an incredibly terrible saga. And you're back and I've gotten to know you. While Doug is now working closely with the Rising Foundation in New Orleans, helping other ax hooneries to rebuild their lives on the outside, using the skills that he has to help them with everything from you know, you name a job applications, to tax problems, to building their houses to you know, fixing things, getting employments. He's become a tremendous advocate for not only the Innocence Project and innocence projects, although in your case you represented yourself, but really somebody who has devoted himself to helping others, which is quite an extraordinary thing. It makes me really so proud to know you and to be a part of your life. It's important to note in all of this that the compensation that you were given ultimately by the state was paltry, to say the least, right because people ask me all the time, well, these guys must get they must get millions of dollars when they get out. I mean, after what you went through fourteen years and a goal to prison and all this stuff, almost being beaten to death, all the other indignities that you suffered, and the fact that you were so egregiously framed.
Speaker 1: The compensation in the state of Louisiana allows for twenty five thousand dollars a year for a maximum of ten years of incarceration. It's doled out at twenty five thousand dollars a year over ten years, which gives a person barely enough to exist on if you have a very modest lifestyle for ten years. But the other thing, I mean, in my case, it fell short one hundred and thirty seven thousand dollars short of my actual expenses, So I didn't even recoup what I spent.
Speaker 2: Because you had actually spent the money on attorneys.
Speaker 1: On my legal defense.
Speaker 2: You basically paid ten thousand dollars a year to be locked up for fourteen years, is what it comes down to.
Speaker 1: That's about what it comes down to.
Speaker 2: It's important to note that there are twenty states that have no compensation statutes, and the ones that do have compensation statutes, some of them are even worse than Louisiana, like Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: You know, people think that, oh, you were proven that you were wrongfully convicted, you must have gotten millions. Well no, I'm still struggle to this day. I was never able to repay my children for selling their interest in their family homes so I could hire that last attorney. And it's just not right, not just for me, but for all of the men in Louisiana and elsewhere too, and elsewhere.
Speaker 2: According to the National Registry of his Hoonerations, there have been forty six exonerations in Louisiana since nineteen eighty nine, and the coarter them occurred in Jefferson County, the same office that prosecuted you. The sad truth is that there's probably hundreds, if not thousands of other DOUGDA in Louisiana alone. It's certainly around the country, and I can tell you that we won't stop until we exonerate as many of them as we possibly can. People say to me, you know my work at the Innstance Pride, They say what, But prosecutors, they don't lie that. People don't understand likes. It's unfortunately, it's common, which is why we asked Nina Morrison to join us in the studio today. Welcome to Ronful Conviction with Jason Flammer's good to have you here. Thank you, good to be here.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 2: Nina is the senior staff attorney at the Innocence Project. She litigates claims for access to post conviction DNA evidence under both federal civil rights laws and state DNA testing statutes. To date, Ms Morrison has served as lead or co counsel for more than twenty innocent prisoners who are freed from prison or even death row based on DNA or other newly discovered evidence. So, can you explain to us what exactly is a Brady violation? We talk about it a lot on the show. Yeah, So, a Brady violation is.
Speaker 4: Where a prosecutor doesn't give the defense evidence that either the prosecutor or the police or some other agent of the state like a crime lab has that is favorable to the defendant's case. Sometimes it's proof of their innocence, you know, another suspect who is seen in the area, somebody else who admitted to the crime. Sometimes it's evidence that shows that a witness, you know, who claimed to be an eyewitness, was you know, high out of their minds that night according to five other people, or couldn't have seen what they said they said. There's a whole array of stuff. It's basically anything that helps the defense. And it's a strange system when you think about it, because you know, prosecutors and defense lawyers go into court, they're fighting hard in these big murder cases or rape cases or other hard fought criminal trials, and The way the law is set up is the prosecutor has to give the other side something voluntarily that might make them lose, and we trust them in most places to turn it over, so they say, I'm fulfilling my Brady obligations, and there's no check on it until after the case is over, and sometimes not even then until.
Speaker 2: It's literally too late. And this leaves a very wide lane open for the bad actors in the system, the bad prosecutors to do what they feel like on a given day, and to really railroad people who are just regular people like you and I who get find themselves stuck in this nightmare, people like Doug Delosa.
Speaker 4: Yeah so, and there's even worse news in terms of how it gets dealt with after the trial, because if you discover that a prosecutor in your case withheld Brady material something favorable to you, your conviction doesn't automatically get reversed. You then, according to US Supreme Court case law, have to show an appeals court that the violation is what the courts call material, which means it actually made a difference. So you basically have to come in after the fact when a jury never heard this information. A witness was never cross examined on it, and say, you know, Judge, if I'd had this, I would have argued this. I would have said that the jury wouldn't have believed this person. And here's why you have to kind of have a mental do over, a hypothetical duover of the trial. And if they say, eh, you know, it made a difference, maybe, but we don't know, it might not necessarily have made a difference in the outcome. So it's what's called harmless error.
Speaker 2: So, Nina, I wanted to ask you how common are these Brady violations.
Speaker 4: You know, we don't know because by definition many of them are hidden. We know that we have seen them in a very significant proportion of our cases. You know, there's at least fifteen featured cases on the Innocence Project website just from the last few years that involve serious Brady violations which we uncover in the course of investigating a client's other claim of innocence. And there is no scientific way to study them because by definition, there are things that haven't been turned over. It's sort of like everyone we find is in some ways by chance. You don't have a right to get a lot of files after somebody has been convicted. Things get destroyed. I wake up at night sometimes worrying about you know, these days, when almost everything is electronic, we don't have the piece of paper in the file anymore the way we used to in the cases from the eighties and early nineties. Now it's all in a memo on somebody's computer and they hit delete, or that person leaves the office and it's gone. It's in an email, it's in a voicemail, it's in a text from a witness.
Speaker 2: It's you know, you know, it's really a level of evil that, in this particular case, I don't know what else to call it. The prosecutor is just evil.
Speaker 4: And you know, I know, Barry check in one of your other episodes when you had Barry Gibbson, was talking about this concept of noble cause corruption, which I think is a very real phenomenon. You know, I don't think even the prosecutors that we've caught red handed withholding evidence. I think most, if not all of them honestly believed that they were doing it for a higher purpose, which is they had a killer sitting in the courtroom who was going to get away with murder if they didn't win their case, and so they convinced themselves that whatever they were holding back was not really proof of innocence. It was something the defense would use to create a smoke screen, right. But the laws of the law, you have a job as an officer of the court to follow the law and turn it over. And now we know that many of those people were actually innocent, so we see what the real harm is from that skirting the ethical line.
Speaker 2: So that brings us to the sort of the practical question of what can be done.
Speaker 4: We had the Innocence Project are working on a couple of things to police things before trial happened. So one of the things we are trying to do is get judges to take a more active role in ensuring that Brady's guarantee is a real one by putting prosecutors on the record issuing court orders to say, I want you to check these five locations to see if there's anything favorable to the defense, and I'm going to have a conference a month before the trial to see how it's going. What have you turned over, what are you looking for? And at that point the defense lawyer will have an opportunity to speak up and say I haven't gotten anything on the witness statements. I don't know who what these witness statements are. And our theory is, you know, for example, two black men came in and did this crime. Are there any reports of suspicious African Americans in the area, whether you think they did it or not? You know, is there anything we should investigate? And the reason why you want to have the judges be policing it is that if you lie to a judge, you can get charged with contemptive court and lose your law license and even go to jail. And on the back end, we need to take accountability seriously, you know, we need to make sure that the state bars have a culture where they can go after just as say what a lawyer who doesn't give a client all their money back or didn't do the job they were hired to do in a trust and a states case or a civil case, that they will go after the prosecutors who break the law, even if it's not politically easy to do. And then lastly, you know, it is very hard, as you know, and you've talked about on your show, for prosecutors to ever be sued civilly and even for states or counties to be held liable for the misconduct of prosecutors. Prosecutors are what's called immune from suit in all but a few very rare cases.
Speaker 2: And so if a prosecutor.
Speaker 4: Knows of some favorable evidence and doesn't turn it over, the court Supreme Court has said, well, you can go after them on bar discipline, or you can maybe criminally prosecute them. Talk about Fox and Penhouse, right, but you can't see them unless there's a pattern and practice of violations, and those are very hard to prove.
Speaker 2: And criminal prosecutions of prosecutors are extremely difficult. Not least it was because proctters generally don't like prosecuting prosecutors.
Speaker 4: Correct, and they will air I mean, you know, they will give every benefit of the doubt. Oh they missed it, they were busy, they thought they turned it over, they put it in the wrong notebook, you know, yes they did. The defense layer says they didn't have it, but we think they did. I mean, you know, and look, our clients should have been so lucky to get the benefit of every doubt when they were being accused of a crime.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for being on Wrongful Conviction with Jason Flumm And it was great it's great to have you here.
Speaker 4: Thanks so much, it's great to be here.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to give us a fantastic review wherever you get your podcasts. It really helps. And I'm a proud donor to the Ennocence Project and I really hope you'll join me in supporting this very important cause and helping to prevent future wrongful convictions. Go to Innocence Project dot org to learn how to donate and get involved. I'd like to thank our production team, Connor Hall and Kevin Wartis. The music in the show is by three time OSCAR nominated composer Jay Ralph. Be sure to follow us on Instagram at Wrongful Conviction and on Facebook at Wrongful Conviction Podcast. Wrongful Conviction with Jason Flamm is a production of Lava for Good Podcasts and association with Signal Company Number one