Speaker 1: It's a special pre vacation edition of One More Thing.
Speaker 2: I'm Strong.
Speaker 1: With Me board operator Michaelangelo and executive producer Mike hantson joining us today. One thing I gotta do, I gotta it's it's it's important that I not get in the mindset of its vacation. So you need to eat more or or or eat crappier. So easy to slide into that it's vacation. Let's have donuts or a cake or whatever the heck. So I'm trying to fight.
Speaker 2: That or spend any amount of money on all kinds of stuff like food or T shirts or that extra little whatever, fun thing that you don't need to spend money on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I give halfway on that. But yeah, it's very easy to go too far. So here's my questions before I head on a vacation. Part of it is because I want to. I've only got a couple of vacations left with my kids. Hanson, You know how this is. You count how many summers you got left with your kids. It's shocking. Yeah, and you think I only have this many more summers of vacations with them. I may ever go on vacation with them again in my life after a couple of years from now, it's really quite shocking. What's the best vacation you ever went on as a kid or the one that you remember the most as a kid with your family, Michaelangelo, You go first.
Speaker 3: We went in an RV together up to the Organ Coast. It was an adventure because my dad didn't know how to drive the RV and actually ripped the mirror off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, was that the enjoyable part or just a side memory of it?
Speaker 3: This is a side memory. There's a lot of good memories, but it was stuff that I thought was funny. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, that that does. That sounds fantastic because you all got to be together when you're an RV, and it's the being together part that like really makes the vacation to me, I think, But anson vacation.
Speaker 2: See, we were a simple people there in South Dakota, so vacations didn't happen all that often. A lot of them revolved around I guess if it was a vacation, it would be more like going to my dad's softball tournaments. But there is a place called Lake Okoboji. It's pretty cool. They have this old carnival totally worn out rides, super dated. They had a bumper, cars that hadn't worked in thirty years, that kind of thing. But for a little kid, it was a pretty neat place to hang out. So going to Okoboji was always a good time.
Speaker 1: You both have made My point though that I wanted to make is like my memories of the vacations. We didn't do anything extravagant either. We drove to Grandma's house, but we'd stop at some tourist trapped things along the way, and you stay in a hotel like a Super eight with a pool and just stuff like that. It was freaking fantastic. It was fantastic. And I know all y'all some of y'all don't do that. I know somebody who's taking their kids to the south of France for the vacation, and fine, you know, if you got the money, But I just I don't know, do you get more memories out of that as a kid? Does that matter more to you than just just hanging out with the family doing stuff. You're at a restaurant, you're at a pool, you're in an RV or whatever. My youngest son loved our longest road trip we took. We went through Wyoming in Montana and all across South Dakota. We stopped over Custer's Last Stand was then we went to Mount Rushmore. But just it was just a road trip. And when you're a kid, every stop at Big Giant truck stop is fun because there's a slushy machine and just whatever. It's all fun. And I love those memories. Now, my oldestes he has a little more expensive taste. He really liked when we went to New York City, and but he likes Hubbub. He likes the crowds and noise and cars and stuff like that. But I don't know, I just I don't feel like it takes a lot. If you're together and you're hanging out and you're laughing and you just have that vacation vibe. But we got nothing to do, are you. One thing that really sticks out in my mind about vacations though, my dad, So my dad my whole life. You could see his jaw moving when his mouth was shut because he was under stress. You could see this little moving right here or just under stress, just kind of daily on vacation that would go away. Huh. I always noticed that his little jaw stress thing that he had days when he worked was gone on vacation, and he'd become a different person where he'd be just he was just like, sure, get a can of coke like normally be it. Can I get a can? Go? No, We're not gonna spend money on coke. Vacation we did and it was just so exciting.
Speaker 2: My wife refers to me as a vacation Mike, and I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I had a long vacation before I started working with you guys on the show, is like about three months. And she said vacation Mike was one of the best mics I've ever known. She said, you were so well, so happy, and so well adjusted. And I was like, well, yeah, I guess you know. I had nothing to do, but uh yeah, vacation Mike.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Is that something we should work on all the time to be more like vacation Jack, vacation Mike, vacation my dad all the time? Or is it just part of life Michael Michael Angelo.
Speaker 3: See, I only like vacation for a short time because it drives me crazy. I have to stick to my routine. I think that's why I work all the time. It drives me crazy, did not do anything.
Speaker 2: Got to tell you what, I got used to being on vacation for three months. It was pretty freaking awesome.
Speaker 1: Actually, well, you weren't exactly doing nothing because he had two young kids, so I was doing close to nothing.
Speaker 2: Jack, I really stayed up late.
Speaker 1: No, I see.
Speaker 2: We Actually I continued with their you know, kind of to Michael's point. I didn't want to disrupt them, so we continue to take our to daycare and just you know, like, let's let's keep their social existence together. And meanwhile, I just I had a guy coming over to work on our house, and otherwise I would go out to coffee and I'd fart around and stay up late and watch every show that I hadn't watched over the past couple of years. And it became a lifestyle that I really really enjoyed.
Speaker 1: I should talk to my dad about this. I've never said anything to him about it, but it was vacation, Dad. He was a different guy on vacation. He would he would he would just relax in a way that he normally didn't. And you know, when you're a parent, you know that feeling you got, you got, you got your life, You're doing your life you're doing your job, you're doing your gotta get kids here, and you got this paperwork to fill out, and we got things to do, and just you got to get to bed on time and got to get to the pharmacy because your medicine's almost out. Just all these different things, and on vacation, all that goes away and just a new thing happens. I think that's what retirement would be like. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's exactly, exactly a complete loss of months of time. I know my in laws how often they'll tell me what day of the week is this? I say what? They don't know what day it is. It could be Sunday, it could be Tuesday. It could be noon, it could be ten o'clock at night.
Speaker 1: They don't know.
Speaker 2: They don't keep track.
Speaker 1: The only reason my parents keep track is because they know what days. They have what at the Senior center to eat lunch. It's Wednesday, so they have, you know, roast beef.
Speaker 3: I picture my Walmart job as my retirement. I'll be a greeter with no filter, basically somebody.
Speaker 1: You're not a good relaxer.
Speaker 3: No I'm not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not really eat I can.
Speaker 3: Do it for a day or two, but then that's about it.
Speaker 1: I love road trips. I know a lot of people hate them. Never do them, try to avoid having to drive anywhere. I love man When we get in the car and we head out. My youngest is on boy scout trips. So my oldest Sam and I are going to go to Nevada and ride dirt bikes. But just get on the road. I get a cup of coffee, he gets an energy drink, and you listen to some music and just a freaking love that.
Speaker 2: See you, you traveled a lot before you had kids. You traveled a ton on your own, solo trips, spontaneous. You just went yes, and you were comfortable in whatever environment you were in. You wherever you went, you were like, this is great.
Speaker 1: I love this.
Speaker 2: I could sit down for five minutes if there's some scenic spot that you stopped in and sit and appreciate it and not think about anything but that moment. Right that, that's how it was with you. I'm assuming because I have that same sensation. I did similar trips. You and I probably went up and down the coast to similar places before we had kids. If I were to make those trips, now I'd be constantly thinking about them, and it's difficult to relax or to set. Like we went to the beach last weekend. I couldn't enjoy it because I was constantly thinking of is this one safe? Is this has this one drowned yet? Was the sunburn? What's going on?
Speaker 1: They? Do?
Speaker 2: They need to eat?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What you know is one?
Speaker 1: Is my wife happy?
Speaker 2: Is my mom happy? Like all these things and just checking on everybody that was impossible. I took a five minutes to just sit there and listen the waves crashing into the beach, and I was like, this is really cool. I remember I used to do this for hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah is that a shark out there? Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, really that that thought crossed my mind to scanning the waves make sure there's no shark getting my son.
Speaker 1: I so I've always done this. I think my parents did this too. Yeah, back in the day you had to. But I don't have a schedule when we go in these road trips. I have no idea how far we're gonna drive it down and where we're gonna stay. And I mentioned that to some people that were just blown away by the You don't have your hotels booked a long way. I've never even crossed my mind to do that.
Speaker 2: They that's the best way to do it. It's it's it's to me, it's the only way to go. He only bummer is when you can't find a place, you know, when something's booked up.
Speaker 1: But that's happened like once in my entire life, That's what they said. What do you do if you can't find a room? That's happened once in sixty years of well, I have been traveling, but in forty years of traveling like this, it's happened to me one time, So it's not like it's a common occurrence. I like the if you're in the mood to drive, you drive a long way, you get tired early, you shut her down. All a good, get a room, Yeah, fantastic.
Speaker 2: It's difficult when you have a plan to be able to stop at that one quirky place that you see and you go, oh, that'd be really cool. I hope to stop there again on the way back. You never do, never ever have a chance to get back to it. So correct lack of planning allows the spontaneity, and that that allows for those moments that you'll never forget.
Speaker 1: I didn't know Cody, Wyoming has a rodeo every single night all summer long. It's America's Rodeo. I didn't know that. Yeah, and we saw the big banner when we pulled in the town. I thought we're doing that. I got a hotel room. We went to the rodeo that night. It was super fun. The kids had a good time. It was awesome. Yeah. I love traveling like that. So are you doing anything at all, Michaelangelo during vacation. I'll do something.
Speaker 3: You know it'd be much. You know, the show's not live, so to be relaxing.
Speaker 1: Do you read? Do you stare at the wall? No, I'll read. I mean it'll be great, it'll be great. What are you doing Anson, I'll be here with Michael.
Speaker 2: He usually holds me for a minut hours and just kind of reassures me that everything will be all right. I can't really leave. I need his reassurance, I need his warmth, I need his musk.
Speaker 1: Have been waiting for you to leave town, Jack. We will leave on musk. There's no doubt about that. Let's end this on musk. Good Lord, Well, I guess that's it.