Speaker 1: From Mahard that we're Innovation Money and Power Collie in Silicon Vallet NBN.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde.
Speaker 3: And Ed lud Love.
Speaker 4: Live from New York.
Speaker 5: This is Bloomberg Technology coming up PC sales. They're stalling, causing Dell to fall following its third quarter earnings.
Speaker 4: Will break it all down.
Speaker 5: Plus soft Bank wants to boost its stake in open Ai, looking to buy out to our one point five billion dollars in shares from the startups employees, and Wicked and gladiated to have kicked off what's likely to be a strong holiday season for cinemas. We bring you the content to consume this Thanksgiving, but first we check on these markets. And we've got some good news being bad news. Basically, we've got a strong set of data in the economy. We've still got PCE, that gauge of consumer price points that the fedso looks at coming in where we expected two point eight percent growth, but that is still strong. And maybe we get a more cautious FED into a rate cutting cycle. Maybe we don't cut at the anticipated rates, so we see a sell off in the markets as perhaps that's the changing of the guard when the Federal Reserve view, we're off by one point one percent. Big Tech sells off the most video for example, down by more than three percent. But not just from a point's perspective. What leads us lower on the SMP is some of the earnings that we got. Let's just look at what's happening on the likes of Dell HP, both of them key drags on the S and P five hundred. Today, I'm looking at hping of by thirteen percent almost let's call it, Dell off by twelve percent, both of these signifying that that recovery in PC demand just isn't really happening at the pace that we are anticipating. We've also got some AI to weave into all of this. We can do it at Bloomberg's Brody Ford body. Let's start with Dell, because this is a company that not only is focusing in on the AI server perspective, but this is all about PC hardware and a recovery that just isn't happening.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I am speaking to you currently on a laptop that I bought in summer twenty twenty, and I'm still happy with it.
Speaker 7: Right, I mean, they want me to buy a new one. I get advertisements all the time, but I'm still sticking with this laptop that's pushing five years old. And the data shows that I'm not alone. It seems like a lot.
Speaker 6: Of businesses and consumers bought these laptops in the early days of the pandemic. And you know, for a while now, the Hps and Dells of the world have said the PC market recovery is just a quarter or two out.
Speaker 4: It's coming.
Speaker 6: People are going to buy new computers.
Speaker 3: It's time, and as we've seen in these earnings, it just keeps.
Speaker 7: Getting pushed out as folks, you know, they're tight on their budgets, they're spending money elsewhere, and they're still happy with that hardware they got, you know, a couple of years ago.
Speaker 5: All eyes are the forecast being a little bit weak and then anticipated keeping it quick. For us, Brady forward, we really appreciate that roundup of numbers. We've got more earnings to report to go through. Of course, CrowdStrike having a look at shares off by four and a half percent. We can detail this with Margi Murphy joining us on the fact that boy, we go back to the summer, we go to the impact on Microsoft.
Speaker 4: We think about.
Speaker 5: The offline implications of CrowdStrike.
Speaker 4: Have they recovered right?
Speaker 8: Yeah, So July nineteenth, we have had this global tech outage after CrowdStrike pushed out a software update impacting.
Speaker 4: Devices using Windows operating systems.
Speaker 8: It looks like, you know, it was their second report since this glitch, and it looks like sales haven't been hit by it. However, shares dropped when investors read about the estimates for the earnings of for share in the.
Speaker 4: For the next earnings report.
Speaker 8: So that's eighty four cents to eighty six cents when the analysts we're expecting eighty seven cents, which suggests that they're not out of the woods quite yet and the headwinds could continue.
Speaker 5: Talk to us a little bit about a thirty two million dollar deal with Parasoft in particular, and whether or not we're getting deals pushed out or canceled or any rethinking ultimately on demand for products coming from CrowdStrike.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the company did refer to this illness.
Speaker 8: Earnings were cool, but currently basing, very focused and talking about their products to come. In terms of the AI and updates there. In terms of deals with the government, they were pretty tight lipped.
Speaker 4: On that, so more to see.
Speaker 5: That must be noted that third quarter revenue did actually come in better than expective. Maggie Murphy on the breakdown of what happened with CrowdStrike, more earnings, tech more broadly, let's talk about all of it. Angela, Bastien Pillies with us picked up asset management. It is wonderful to have some time in the ANGELI and just we're trying to understand whether this whole exuberance around generative AI, whether the desire to get into the infrastructure really is implicating saying you're on my demand for PC, you're a my demand for new protection and cybersecurity that involves general to AI.
Speaker 4: Is it being translated yet?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's quite interesting. I think there's a huge expectation obviously on journey of AI. It's been two years now, we're in November twenty twenty four now, since the launch of judg EBT. I think what's interesting is that the buildout is creating a lot of demand for all sorts of new technologies. I think you mentioned the PC, the smartphones. I think clearly HBM high band with memory. Nobody would have expected that demand to be so high even a year ago. I think that trickles down to PC smartphones. Of course lackluster numbers today, but at the same time, when you think about AI on the edge and what can come around any smartphone, including obviously the iPhone seventeen, which is all they expected to increase their memory by at least fifty percent for the next round of innovations. So I think AI on the edge HM high band with memory famous Moore's law now also embedding you know, a lot more memory in order to run Geneva. I I think that buildout is creating a lot of demand for obviously different technologies from semiconductor design all the way to semiconductor software, but also to the actual equipment makers who also now see sort of demand for this advanced packaging that I mentioned earlier. So I think where we are is also an S curve. So the infrastructure build out of c very important. But even in the second third phase, there's some very interesting, you know, investments that we see in software now starting to embed more and more. Jenny VII, I mean you mentioned CrowdStrike earlier. That's a great example where there's a talent shortage where Jenny I can actually help you. You know, CrowdStrike has a product called CHARLOTTYI, so that helps you also find problems or event. Data driven information can be used within Genovai as well within the products that they sell, and that's quite interesting there about.
Speaker 5: The question though for many is there's interesting s clubs, there's there's interesting opportunity. You talk about the whole bandwidth where you could be allocating money, But are the valuations already reflecting the optimism that we get AI at the edge we will start adopting it.
Speaker 9: So I think on valuations it's an interesting sort of dilemma. I think right now, I think there's a lot going on in terms of the obviously profitability revenues that you see today and probably justifies a lot of it. But I think moving forward to a bigger, I think pool of potential investments opportunities beyond the tech stocks. If you want all the information technology stocks, I think you see a lot of other areas which are not necessarily related to it, which can have very you know, obviously interesting valuations, also interesting opportunities. So when you look through beyond an index or beyond a handful of stocks, I think there can be some very interesting opportunities there where the valuations may not be as high, and also the potential remains still very very strong because there was.
Speaker 5: Some example, are you talking about energy opportunities, you talk about other spaces within software that for example hasn't already been priced in like a Palenteer.
Speaker 9: So I think we look at everything from like I mentioned some of the equipment makers which play a big role, and the whole US reshowing you're showing. I mean, there's huge subsidies out there and huge sort of investments that are all the out there for a huge number of these new buildouts of Semiconustric.
Speaker 5: Intel you're saying, and even a TSMC in this geopolitical environment.
Speaker 9: So if you take under the reshowing sor if you're showing sort of examples, if you take Micron, TSMC, Intel, Samsung, you have more than three hundred and twenty five billion of all the you know, sort of expenses out there in terms of building out these brand new factories. So I think there that means that you're going to embed a lot of new equipment within those factories and then obviously a lot of other softwares and even industrial robotics within those trees. Because these chips sometimes are so heavy you need robotics arms to carry them. So those are the sort of examples where you can look beyond sort of, you know, some of the obvious IT stocks that very often would fall into that category of valuations being a bit tricky.
Speaker 5: Your CV is so fascinating because, like me, you sort of started focusing in on the bomb market, credit, and then you've really dived into some niche areas that everyone's.
Speaker 4: Now interested in digitalization.
Speaker 5: Robotics, As you say security, Where are we going to see, for example, the robotics reimagining come in? Where is it US based companies? Is it global?
Speaker 9: Interesting? I think on the robotics side, you can look at everything from actual industrial robotics, so factory arms that help you build semiconductor chips or eb cars, et cetera. But the automation behind robotics is quite interesting in terms of expanding through software through all these data driven decisions, both for industrial and for enterprise. Actually, there's a very interesting chart that I often use about the growth since twenty twenty one to thirty about the semiconductor industry, and you will see the growth rate is actually quite interesting in the automotive and the industrial sector, and that's.
Speaker 4: Also obviously driving a lot of MENA.
Speaker 9: Recently Zeeman's acquiring Altare or even Synopsis acquiring ANSS. There's a lot of emine in that space because the hardware, if you want, is supplemented more and more with the software, but also the data driven decisions. I think that in the field of roboties will be quite interesting going forward.
Speaker 4: Angelae, great to have some time with you.
Speaker 5: Come back, thank you asually past MLA FicT Asset Management. I.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, coming up, we're going to be joined by the.
Speaker 5: CEO of Metanics on the company's earnings results, his thoughts on trends in enterprise spending in general to AI.
Speaker 4: This is bloom bag technology.
Speaker 5: Infrastructure software company Btanics for the first quarter results fiscal first quarter and gave an outlook seen as pretty positive by analyst. Shares though coming off of their highs on the day, we're now trading lower. Let's talk about it with the Newtanic CEO regime Ramaswami joining us now and people feeling that perhaps you had good set of growth but cautious outlook here, particularly when it comes to federal spending.
Speaker 4: Can you just talk us through some of that caution.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you, Carolyn. Great to be on here. If we had a good quarter.
Speaker 10: We exceeded all our guided metrics, and we also were able to raise our guide for Q two, but we felt it prudent to keep our revenue guide for the full year the same while we raised our free cash pro guide.
Speaker 3: Now, this quarter we had a relatively weak federal business. It's usually the peak business for FED, given it's their year end.
Speaker 10: We expect FED spending to return to normal levels more or less in Q two, But then we have a new administration coming on board in January, and you know, we don't exactly know what's going to happen, but we have to adapt to whatever may happen with the new administration, and so we're being a bit cautious about the FED overall for the rest of the year, and it's one of the reasons.
Speaker 3: Why we kept our fullier revenue outlook the same.
Speaker 5: We can see the last three months your shares have done well, up some thirty percent.
Speaker 4: Morgan Stanley was putting it out there.
Speaker 5: That they feel technology spend is more immune to perhaps the belt tightening we're going to see more broadly with the new administration.
Speaker 4: Do you feel that.
Speaker 5: Sort of viewpoint, does usually you ride out any cutbacks?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think fundamentally when I look at every company, including governments and organizations, are becoming software entities more and more because they rely on applications and data to drive their businesses more so than ever, and so from that perspective, they have to make the right investments and technology, especially software.
Speaker 3: So I look at it and.
Speaker 10: Say, there's an overall macro situation, and within that situation, text sped will probably do slightly better than whatever you see in macro, and within that software spending is probably going to be better, right as they have to invest in these key initiatives. Now, all that said, though, we've talked for several quarters about how people are being very careful about making sure they get the benefit for what they spend, looking at the returnal investment, looking at the total cost of ownership benefits. And that's one of the things that we very much provide as a company and when customers pick us to run their applications and data, and that's.
Speaker 5: Been the selling point of hyperconverged infrastructure more broadly, because you're doing this storage, the computing, the networks altogether I'm interested as youve though, with that come some supply chain headaches that you suffered in the past. I go back a few years and you were very well versed at talking us through macro headwinds. When you're looking at geopolitics as it is, do you have any worries about your own supply chain or access to certain hardware for example?
Speaker 10: Yeah, First of all, to be clear, we are a software company, but customers run our software on hardware, so their access hardware is important for them to run our software right, and that's the indirect dependency that we have on the supply chain.
Speaker 3: Now, what we've done on our front is we provided.
Speaker 10: A lot of diversity and choice for customers. They can pick their choice of server vendors across the spectrum pretty much any server vendor and run our software on it. So that helps them diversify a bit from any supply chain shortages that might come on board because.
Speaker 3: They do have this broad choice. And as a software company, that's what we try and do.
Speaker 10: We try and provide that flexibility and freedom of choice so that our customers can conduct their business.
Speaker 5: And you've been building out partnership, so it's interesting that on the same day as your numbers. We digest Dell of course, big in server AI servers and good growth there for them.
Speaker 4: Perhaps the market got ahead of that growth.
Speaker 5: I'm interested as to how the market's digesting your own generative AI focus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for us, our generative focus AAI focuses pretty early.
Speaker 10: If you look at AI overall in the market, a lot of the money has been spent on training, large language models and massive compute clusters, driven by a relatively small number of high spenders. The vast majority of enterprises and government organizations.
Speaker 3: These are our customers.
Speaker 10: You know, there's one hundred thousand of them around plus around the world. Today we have about twenty six thousands of them as our customers. They are still in the early stages of deploying and adopting GENERALLYBAI. Most of them are first of all going to be consuming these models that are pre trained, and they're going to be using it for inferencing, fine tuning, rag and inferencing so that they can get real productivity gains. For example, improve the productivity of their developers, improve their customer support, I'll get better means to do fraud detection.
Speaker 3: As an example. These are some of the applications that companies around the world and organizations are trying to build.
Speaker 10: We provide a simple platform that provides a turnkey way for them to build and deploy those genera AVIAI inferencing applications, and so that market is still early. Most companies are at this point incubating these applications.
Speaker 3: We've seen some go to production.
Speaker 10: I do think twenty twenty five and twenty twenty six are going to be big years as companies take those applications to production.
Speaker 5: Still wedding regime from Aswami, it's great tows some time with the NTANIC CEO there. Jamison Greer, who is President elect Donald Trump's pick for the top trade position, sees China as a quote generational challenge to the United States, has advocated for a strategic decoupling from the country, and he's actually already played a pretty key role in imposing TARIS on China during Trump's first term. Let's get to grips of it from a tech perspective with Blumbags Mike Sheppard in d C.
Speaker 4: Mike, Look, we.
Speaker 5: Once again are just getting the feeling that anyone with exposure to China supply chain or demand is going to having a tough time.
Speaker 11: That's right, Caroline, And the selection of Jameson Greer, as you noted, really signals a direction of travel for this incoming administration.
Speaker 2: That may be hard for companies to avoid.
Speaker 11: There have been some hope that the naming of Scott Pissent, for example, as the incoming Treasury Secretary, could mean that Trump might temper his desire to impose tariffs of this much as sixty percent on Chinese goods the way he had promised on the campaign trail. But picking Jamison Greer for this key trade position, which will negotiate and elaborate US trade policy, suggests otherwise.
Speaker 2: Very much so.
Speaker 11: And when we talk about this strategic decoupling, Greer has left us a few clues and about what that means and how he could pursue it. For one, he has floated the idea of revoking China's permanent normal Trade relation status, and this is one that was granted to Beijing back in two thousand when China was trying to enter the World Trade Organization. That would put China back on the same footing as Russia, Cuba, and North Korea, and it would subject Chinese goods through a range of terrorists that are exempted from right now.
Speaker 2: The other thing he.
Speaker 11: Has talked about doing is expanding export controls of the kind that we've seen the Biden administration imposed and a range of tech products, and all of this is huge ramifications for companies like Apple and Intel and venture investors.
Speaker 4: Well precisely, I'm Tim Cook.
Speaker 5: I'm sat there reading this hypothesis and this generational challenge. Am I going to sit there confidently that I'm going to get some exemption that I'm a carve out.
Speaker 11: If you're Tim Cook, you already know Donald Trump pretty well from his first term in office, and you will remember the experience that you went through as he imposed harraffs on goods coming in from China. And he knows that he will need to intercede and intervene pretty quickly and very personally with the president. Donald Trump is somebody who likes to engage with CEOs and businesses and is willing to hear them out. But the time to act is sooner rather than later.
Speaker 2: So you can.
Speaker 11: Expect that top executives will be trying to get Donald Trump's here and even also talk to Jamison Greer and other top economic officials like Scott Piscent incoming Treasury Chief, and then also the person he designated it his National Economic Council Director, and that is Kevin Hazard, whom he.
Speaker 2: Named last night.
Speaker 5: Another person recognized from the first administration, Mike Shephard, Thank you so much. Like talking of one key CEO who has Trump's ear. Let's get today's Tech Daily, written by Blue mos Kirk Wagner, who says Elon Musk is about to twitterize the US government in his new official role as a head of the Department of Government Efficiency, an unofficial Trump anointed group tasked with identifying some two trillion dollars in spending cuts.
Speaker 4: Kurt joins us.
Speaker 5: Now, look, we can debate whether two trillion is ever really a reality or a figure that can be attained, but boy, we can kind of sense what's coming from what happened to Twitter now X.
Speaker 12: Yeah, we've been here before, right two years ago, we were watching him basically go into another institution, in this case Twitter, and got the company right. And we're seeing a lot of the same strategies come forward already in this sort of first couple weeks of the Department of Government Efficiency. So you know, he said he's going to eliminate work from home. He's going to have, you know, dramatic cost cuts on headcount for people. We know that he's going to do things at a million miles per hour. That's what Elon Musk does with everything. And I think the point of this kind of column this morning was to remind people that when he did that at Twitter, he did succeed in the sense that Twitter still operates on a much smaller budget than it did before. But he broke a lot of things along the way.
Speaker 5: He broke and therefore maybe you make the point this might not be healthy, It might.
Speaker 4: Be achievable, might be doable, but is it healthy? And look, one social media.
Speaker 5: Platform versus the US government functioning is a very different thing.
Speaker 12: Right, and it's not a perfect Apple Staples comparison. But I think what we saw from the Twitter example was that he was very comfortable just saying we're going to do these cuts, We're going to do them as fast as possile, well, and then we'll go back and fix things afterwards. I don't think it's going to be that simple, of course, when you you know, do this at the size and scale of the US government. And so my hope of course as a citizen here of the US is that he's a little bit more thoughtful here and that he doesn't just slash and burn and then try to go back and fix those mistakes later on, because that might not be possible in the government situation in the same way that you know he tried to do with Twitter.
Speaker 4: It's a great read.
Speaker 5: Go to check out the Tech Daily Today, author by Ko Wagner.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to Blomberg Technology from Caroline Hide in New York. Let's just talk about crypto and or the future of it at the moment. With the usc FTC, the relatively underfunded regulator that's been overshadowed by the SEC, now a path too prominence. If the incoming Trump administration really revamps crypto policy and installs an industry leaning chair Republicans control in Congress and the White House, the agency's jurisdiction might actually expand dramatically, including two major tokens such as bitcoin and eve. Let's bring in Bill Harris more around how you should be thinking about crypto and your wealth within it Fanta seeo of Evergreen Wealth, but also formacy of PayPal intuit. You'll understand how to build businesses. I'm interested when you're looking at the regulatory overview, when you're looking at everyone suddenly probably coolling you up, wanting to know how their investments in crypto are looking and how they should make the most of them.
Speaker 4: Do you make changes ahead of an administration change?
Speaker 2: Yes, of course.
Speaker 1: What you do is you try to anticipate where it's going, and in my particular arena financial services and particularly financial technology, there is likely to be a significant reduction in the regulatory burden for particularly the people who are working with new assets such as crypto.
Speaker 5: Of course, PayPal has been making inroads into that space. They've been adopting and offering it far more. Do you think this has become a much more ubiquitous asset class.
Speaker 1: More broadly, well, certainly as it starts to show up in and ETFs and things like that.
Speaker 2: The answer is yes.
Speaker 1: In terms of actual holding, I don't think so, because most of the people who want to hold it directly are already working through exchanges.
Speaker 5: And when you're thinking, before I get onto what everyone's asking you about how to hold crypto and how to make it most beneficial, I want to know with your head, your hat on of having led businesses such as into It and PayPal. How do you start talking to people in government at this moment, How do you start discussing it with your employee base, how things might look more uncertain going into the new year.
Speaker 1: In terms of talking to government, it's really important as they're coming in to try to make contacts with people that are likely to be in decision making positions, particularly in my case for financial services, with the employees. There's not a whole lot to say, particularly because in our particular business and we focus on investment taxes amongst others things, it is likely to be more of the same rather than big changes.
Speaker 2: And the reason being the real.
Speaker 1: Unknown has for a long time been whether the Tax Cut and Jobs.
Speaker 2: Act would be extended.
Speaker 1: At the end of twenty twenty five, it's now clear that it will be extended. What's the impact. The impact is there will be no changes in many of the aspects of the investment tax arena.
Speaker 5: Okay, so let's talk about wealth built up during the course of twenty twenty four. Marcus done well, crypto has exploded. I'm sad on a whole load of increased value.
Speaker 4: Yes, well, does one do?
Speaker 5: Does one therefore sell out if it's that thought of a fund that they've been getting into.
Speaker 4: We're not talking about your four oh one K. We're not talking about put it away. We're talk about people who've been trading this.
Speaker 1: It's a very difficult thing from a tax point of view. Crypto's kind of a mess because it is not treated like currency. From the tax point of view, it's treated as property, and that means it's tax the same way that most securities are.
Speaker 2: And so you've got capital gain.
Speaker 1: A capital gain is the best kind of income to be taxed on. First of all, it's lower tax rate than ordinary income, but it's also then there are many things you can do about the timing of recognizing capital gain. If you don't do that, if you don't think about the timing, then you're going to be hit by anything from twenty percent to thirty five percent capital gains tax when you sell at a gain.
Speaker 2: There are some.
Speaker 1: Really terrific things you can do to reduce, offset, defer, or even eliminate that capital gains tax, but you have to be smart about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're talking about tax efficiency here, not tax avoidance. What is efficient, particularly if you're thinking time of year I'm going to be a given kind of a person. There's a lot of chargeable giving you can do by using and locking in those gains.
Speaker 1: Yes, both charitable giving and family gifting, both those are ways you can eliminate the capital gains that you would otherwise pay. If you're going to do a charitable deduction or if you're a charitable donation, the best way to do it is with a donor advised fund a DAFF.
Speaker 2: And the reason is this.
Speaker 1: First of all, there are two benefits for gift giving to charity. Number one, you do not pay any unrealized capital gains. You never pay tax on that unrealized gain. In addition, if you itemize, you also get a charitable deduction. So it's a two for It can be great. What's the problem. There are not many charities that are even able to contemplate taking crypto and you have to pass it as crypto. You can't yourself turn it to FIAT and then pass it because then the gain is yours. But donor advised funds allows you to put the crypto into the fund. You can take the tax exemption this tax year, and then you can decide when you want to donate and to whom anytime you like for the next indefinite period of time.
Speaker 5: Look, you're someone who is trying to make building wealth is technologically advanced and forward thinking as possible.
Speaker 4: You've already run businesses that have been at.
Speaker 5: The forefront of fintech, as you say, and just digital adoption. How do your consumers feel right now? How do you feel as a business leader about confidence in building within the US economy and whether or not it's fit for purpose for your particular business.
Speaker 1: I believe in the US economy, always have, always will.
Speaker 2: What's the big challenge?
Speaker 1: The big challenge, of course is tariffs, because most economists who look at that, as you well know, say this is likely to estab to accelerate inflation rates, and inflation rates do a whole lot, particularly from the point of view of then driving interest rates, which directly impacts any investor with significant assets.
Speaker 5: One for the customers you now have on one for many of you, that's watching Bill Harris, the CEO of Evergreen Wealth, but of course was helping need into It and PayPal previously.
Speaker 4: Now it's time for talking tech.
Speaker 5: First up, black Forest Labs, the German AI startup that helps elon Musk's Grock produce Images is in talks to Rais as much as two hundred million dollars for investors, which include hand recent Horowitz. All this less than just four months after it launched Plus delivery. Hero boosted the public listing size of Talabat, its Middle Eastern unit, to as much as two billion dollars. The deal is on track to be the United Arab Emirates' biggest listing of the year. And Apple is missing out on the big twenty twenty four smartphone market rebound. That's according to market track at IDC that actually says Apple barely manage growth even as global smartphone sales rebounds strongly after two years of decline. Still, Apple remains by far the profit leader over its Android rivals.
Speaker 4: Let's just dove.
Speaker 5: Tail into what's happening on the markets right now, because we have seen more broadly the NASDAC under precious and concerns about economic data being pretty strong.
Speaker 4: We also want to shine.
Speaker 5: Light one particular company that's been on the downside for the NASDACK as well. We're off by one point one percent on the NASAK one hundred in video is your biggest points contributed there? That drags us lower as we worry about inflatory pressure stopping the FED cutting as many as anticipated but symbotic.
Speaker 4: Look, here's another.
Speaker 5: Example of a company having issues with auditing and reporting, cutting its outlook going forward.
Speaker 4: Accounting errors is what.
Speaker 5: They're currently saying, and so they can't file their ten K on time. We're off by so you'll see forty percent over the last two training days. Now really worrying about the revenue forecast going forward. They're lowering the revenue expectations to four hundred and eighty to five hundred million dollars. What's interesting is this company when public VIA's back a soft Bank backed spack and indeed SoftBank's vision fund had moved had flipped this particular company of late.
Speaker 4: But we're looking more at soft Bank as well.
Speaker 5: The company is aiming to increase its stake in open Ai, for example, acquiring up to one point five billion dollars.
Speaker 4: In shares from the start up's employees.
Speaker 5: It's according to sources, mart Bergen joins us now mark Slapbank's always active. They're particularly active in the air of artificial intelligence. And how are they going to access this money?
Speaker 13: Yeah, this has actually been They've been relatively quiet after that big spurt we saw from like say twenty seven to twenty seventeen, twenty twenty one. They are now all in your Massa's son from our reporting, wanted to invest a lot more. In the most recent open Ai around, they were kind of limited to five hundred million. So now they've had this arrangement where they're able to do that. There's a secondary sales share share sale from open Ai employees that'll free up up to one point five billion and give you know, Masa his opportunity to get into this transformational company.
Speaker 5: He's already put some money to work in the recent round, but one and a half billion dollars that's a lot of employees selling thinking that they'll meet that mark.
Speaker 14: My expectation is.
Speaker 13: That open Ai probably did a lot of the math beforehand, and it's pretty confident to that. I mean, it'd be curious to see if some employees hold on to it expecting that there they'll be able to make more later on. This is something I believe san Altman has talked about, is doing these with regularity, something you know where we've seen companies like like Stripe Stripe that have stayed public for a very extendable amount of time. You know, don't expect Opening Eye to IPO next year, and so that that this is probably the best path for them to as far as an employee retention.
Speaker 4: Plan, Wel said Mark Bergen.
Speaker 5: Thank you on the latest when it comes to soft Bank and open AI, I mean, while coming up a little bit more in the venture space seven seven six Shooting for the Moon, the company's founding partner, Kaitlin Holloway joins us on their space investments.
Speaker 4: That's next. This has been big technology.
Speaker 5: Major companies like SpaceX and Blue Origin are helping usher in a new wave of mainstream space exploration. But they're not the only firms that are searching for answers in the sky. That's why seven seven six has already made investments in other space companies. Take Stoke, Internoon, Astrophoge. Let's talk through them with Caitlyn Holloway, founding partners seven seven six. And no, we're not just talking about reusable rockets, say we're talking about mining resources out in space or on asteroids. Even how do you get to visualize from a founder that they can build a totally new ecosystem that is such.
Speaker 14: A good question.
Speaker 15: And you know, I think that my background in building high growth companies for you know, the last almost nearly fifteen twenty years here has really helped me to better understand, despite not being a rocket scientist myself, what it really takes to build into the future and look to the stars and really see a future for humanity that most of us cannot. And so understanding what it takes to be a great founder, whether you're building you know, a chocolate bar or a reusable rocket, there are some pretty pretty standard things that make up founder fantastic.
Speaker 5: What makes the business opportunity or at least the valuation fantastic because you are taking such you know, biggest scale risk in a way of whether or not one can mine in space rather than build a chocolatepa here or notth right, Well.
Speaker 15: You know, I think that's something that's really interesting about the economy and the times that we're living in today. You know, even five years ago, I think that this was far too speculative for early stage companies, early stage VC firms to be investing in these companies at the earliest earliest stages. And so you know, with SpaceX and Blue Origin, who have been really charting the path from the private sector so publicly. It really has allowed us to better understand where the technology is today. And I think for so long, you know, the government, between NASA and then other scientists who really have been building behind that that cloak, behind the curtain, all of that technology is finally coming to the forefront. And so for us now that technology is table stakes. The infrastructure is here, and so to place a bet on the table with the expectation that we might see history be made and some returns come back within the next ten years is not unreasonable at all.
Speaker 5: In many ways, SpaceX has been sucking up all the oxygen in the room, and many anticipate that with Alan's very close relationship with the Trump administration that might be help from a regulatory perspective, but will help stoke as well as likes of SpaceX.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Well, you know, I think the beautiful thing about being a startup is that you are much more agile, you are much more nimble, and these founders are not scared of taking really big swings. That's the beauty of being an early stage founder. And it's the luxury, frankly, that SpaceX doesn't have anymore.
Speaker 14: And so while they have paved the way.
Speaker 15: For you know, all of the obvious reasons, but really it's the youngest companies that are building now that are going to take advantage of that technology and really buildings that Again. You know, when I look at the night sky with my little boys, it's going to look much different for them. And you know, whether that's astro Forge or Stoke or INNERLN, they're going to be the reason why.
Speaker 5: Is there as much committed capital to other areas. For example, I'm thinking about you deploy money across web three, across AI, across climate tech. In many ways, when you're looking at evaluation of an AI company versus a space one, how competitive is it now?
Speaker 14: You know, it's really interesting.
Speaker 15: Obviously, VC loves a good trend and a good hype cycle, but I really do think that while many vcs are looking to AI for the obvious reasons, they're also looking to.
Speaker 14: Deep tech in a way that they haven't before.
Speaker 15: And I think an interesting trend is that you're seeing young generalists funds really come in and sit side by side on cap tables with the expectation of some of these larger multi stage firms coming in and carrying them through to the finish line.
Speaker 14: But I really do think that this is the moment.
Speaker 15: And again, when you see a generalist start getting involved in deep tech, I think that that means that there's something more than a trend happening.
Speaker 5: What are you seeing in terms of future fundraising opportunities as to whether the companies that you give a seed or very early stage investment too being able to raise further rounds. You're managing to see the increase in the value of your fund that you've helped build.
Speaker 15: Absolutely, and I think that this is where the power of selection really comes into play. You know, my partner Alects of Sohanian has quite the track record himself, but really understanding again where that people component meets the product and so for us, you know, early stage investing, there is a power law at play, of course, but the expectation is that we will see these companies move on. If we're investing in the very best founders, we have no doubt that they're going to be able to pick up those later rounds and really really take.
Speaker 4: It all the way. Kaitlin Holloway, thanks for coming on.
Speaker 5: Keep coming back as someone as those portfolio companies do raise more rounds seven to seven six were appreciate it back Friday, And isn't just for clothing or electronics steals streaming services they're on sale too, and that could help customers in escape perhaps some recent increases in subscriptions.
Speaker 4: Bloombergs Hannah Miller is here with more.
Speaker 5: What's so interesting is you document basically all the deals that are available across the multitude of streamers we will have as as.
Speaker 4: Though the deals are on the ones where you get ads.
Speaker 16: Yes, most of these are for ADS supported versions of these streaming services, with an exception here or there, but yeah, if you want these deals, you're going to have to watch ads.
Speaker 5: And what are we finding these streaming companies are wanting to promote that element, this new area where they're able to make AD dollars as well.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I mean we've seen a lot of legacy media companies really zero in on streaming and kind of pull away from traditional cable. They want more subscribers to these streaming services, and this is a way to get people in.
Speaker 5: Looking at some of the story that you have and the discount prices, I mean, Hulu with ads is just ninety nine cents per month, down from nine to ninety nine per month, and we see the max two dollars ninety nine for example, and these have we seen this repeat? Is this something that they've drawn on in previous years.
Speaker 16: Yeah, Hulu's actually been a pioneer in having these Black Friday deals and we've seen other streamers upon the bandwagon. To keep in mind with these deals, a lot of them are short term. They're for a year at most, so you know, those savings only go so far.
Speaker 5: And how easy is then to exit it? Like how much are they under duress to make sure that everything's very transparent?
Speaker 16: You know, if you try to cancel, they'll often offer a little sweet nerd keep you back on board. So it's not the worst process in the world, but it can be a bit art to us.
Speaker 5: It's a great read if you want to be getting in on some of your Black Friday savings across streaming deals.
Speaker 4: We appreciate it.
Speaker 5: That's Hannah Miller on All Things Black Friday for streaming. Let's go from the small screen to the big screen now, because after the movie delays from last year's Hollywood strikes, movie theater hype is surging on the back of a few weecent blockbusters. Just take Wicked, for example, or Gladiator two, which have just brought in a combined on hundred and sixty eight million dollars in sales. That's across the US and Canadian theatres. In the past weekend alone, the domestic box office could reach up to three hundred and seventy million of a five day holiday period that's coming up. This is boy based on bluemeg Intelligence analysis of industry forecasts. The person who's been cracking those numbers is Kevin Near from Bloemmeg Intelligence. So is it it's this time of year, it's a consumer sentiment thing, or actually it's these particular movies that are drawing everyone in.
Speaker 17: I think it's both, Caroline.
Speaker 4: I think it's both.
Speaker 17: I think there's a great flux of just a perfect storm right now. I mean, these three films, they're getting a lot of buzz. They're being received very well by critics, by audiences, and that's after a few different misfires, right So, cinemas certainly aren't happy. The studios are certainly happy. As you just said, some of the more bullish estimates are putting the total hall for this five day period could be north of three hundred maybe three hundred and fifty million dollars.
Speaker 4: These are not.
Speaker 5: Cheap movies to have made though, so these ones needed to be bookbusters.
Speaker 17: Right correct, correct? Now by no stretch where they achieved films and then you act a factor in the marketing campaigns as well. We saw some incredible marketing spend for Wicked. I'm sure you saw ads everywhere.
Speaker 4: Solves everywhere, everything.
Speaker 17: Ever, everywhere, everywhere, So they got to see a return on that, and really that kicks off that of content value. Flywheel starts with the theater, right and then you see that carry on. We're just talking about streaming services, so really that that theatrical runway can really accelerate that that flywheel.
Speaker 5: My family a little bit too young for the Wicked side of things. Husband's already done Lady eight to two, but we are interested in Moana too. Now, how big a dealer is that could be for Disney and Disney streaming one of the how are they giving that to the public.
Speaker 17: Yeah, well we're starting to get a little bit of of numbers in Mowana two had a great preview last night, a record for a Walt Disney animated film, which is really nice to see. And I think it does complement the Wicked audience. As you said, you kind of are getting the female demographic, but you're getting different ages there. So really it's you know, looking great for cinemas and Disney specifically. You know, the studio has had such a wonderful bounce back this year after a few misfires in twenty twenty three. I mean they're only putting out a handful of blockbuster films, but inside out too, phenomenal of Deadpool and Wolverine really really impressive, and then Mowana and then they have a Lion King sequel coming out in December, so really great turnaround, and then hopefully that Moments of can continue next year.
Speaker 5: Much of this are sequels, yes, is that just the vibe and I no Wicked was kind of different, but certainly tried and test it on Broadway, right, I.
Speaker 17: Mean there's so much content out there. You got to understand the studios are leaning onto established ip right, something that's had successed in the past. So whether it's a brand or some sort of a sequel, as you said, yes, you're going to see a lot of that.
Speaker 2: They're trying to balance it out with the originals here and there.
Speaker 17: I mean, Amazon just had an original film called Red One that came out, so you are seeing a little bit of.
Speaker 2: Back and forth.
Speaker 17: But I do think Disney especially has said that they're going to lean into some of their established franchises.
Speaker 5: Interesting that Red One then also went to the theaters as well, having originally not been planned to Bloommeg Intelligence als Kevin Nick. It's a great weed and it's a fun one ahead of the holidays. Meanwhile, we want to keep an eye on what's happening as we hurtle towards a long weekend. And that's that one hundred currently off by one point three percent. We're currently seeing tugged lower by the likes of video and some of the key tech names where we're seeing a bit of profit taking. Not so for Bitcoin went back up at ninety five thousand Bitdell and crowdstrikes some of those earnings coming out and really putting paid to any optimism around a PC recovery, particularly for Dell and HP. We've got so much more to digest, But that does it for this edition of Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 4: Do not forget to check out our podcast.
Speaker 5: You can find it on the terminal as well as online on Apple Spotify, and iHeart Go have wonderful Thanksgivings days.
Speaker 4: Having the day off tomorrow, we tune in to Bloomberg on Friday. This is Bloomberg Technology