Speaker 1: Calm Down with Aaron and Carissa is a production of iHeartRadio. Happy Holidays everyone. Wow, what a year twenty twenty three has been. We've had so many great moments. It was hard to choose what some of our best moments were, but we think you're gonna love what we came up with. We have to start with the best part of the year, Aaron becoming a mother. Here's a portion of that episode. A few days of baby mc roney was born. It seems like it was seventeen years ago. I want to start with the moment that you saw him, because I don't think you and I haven't talked about this.
Speaker 2: We've talked about a lot of it.
Speaker 1: So the moment we saw him, I think I was like, Hi, Hi. It was funny because as soon as the nurses took him out, they were like, he's got hair and he's really cute, and we had had you know, it was kind of crazy in the delivery room up until they got him out. We can get into that. So I wasn't even thinking, oh my gosh, does he have hair? Is he cute? I was just like, is this guy okay, what's happening? Hey? Another headline jets on hard knocks. I know a quarterback that's gonna love that. By the way, welcome to Aaron Andrews in Motherhood. We're talking about the baby in the birth canalis like breaking news. Back to you, Kevin and Greg Jesus, I love you, Okay, go back to your baby. Okay. So yeah, just I was I was like, hi, Like, it was just kind of like they just like throw him in your arms and it's all happening at once, and it's wild and it's crazy, and like I remember even when we were getting ready to take him outside back into our room, we put him in this rollie thing and we're like, are we allowed to take him like out like and they're like, yeah, put him in this little rollie thing, which those are great. By the way, we haven't even talked about that. Yeah, a newborn in a stroller. I got a lot to teach you. Before it's your turn, Love, we're going to talk about. Oh, I love that you just said to me. I got a lot to teach you, okay. So you I mean the actual like things that you see in the movies where they put the babies in the little like plastic dead thing and then which by the way, like our nursery is still a thing like oursen go and one he didn't go into the nursery, he stayed in our room overnight. All right, let's start in order where are we'll start? I just wanted that moment that you like see him because this has been a nine year journey, which I know that we sit here and rightfully so and can like make like funny little like corps and jokes and you can smile because you finally got the baby boy that you've always wanted in granted, boy girl, whatever it was that I just can't imagine how grateful and everything that you feel. But on the other side of that, you know how difficult this has been. So yeah, to start wherever you want to start, Let's go, and let's go through because I know that there's a lot of people that listen to this podcast that are going through similar things or have one through similar things. And a lot of our listeners have been so awesome in terms of reaching out DM wise books for me to read, you know, when I hadn't divulged that we were actually pregnant and so forth. So you know, we have been pretty candid on this podcast, which I have appreciated just about my journey and the struggle. I did nine years of IVF, Like you know, was trying really really hard. You and I have talked about it about trying to get eggs. I just couldn't produce eggs. Yes, did my age have a lot to do with it, sure, But also I was dealing with, you know, cervical cancer and sometimes you know, your body just doesn't really do a great job with producing these eggs. And that was me. So, you know, we would get so long in the process, and you would just get one egg. Sometimes sometimes you would get eleven. Sometimes you would get too well, then you want to mix in your husband's sperm and make embryos, and you're waiting, you're weight and you're waiting, and then you don't have any and you just feel I And so I ended up having to do IVF. I did nine or I did eight rounds of IVF. And don't you always feel like CHRISA Like every vacation I was on, every event I had to go to, I was shooting up, like I feel like I. So many of our vacations were affected by my freaking IVF. This was like my first summer I didn't have to. We were in Montana, I you know, Kelly and Matthew wanted to stay longer, and I was like, I have to go home because I have to go get you know, I an ultrasound. Like everything I was doing for the last nine years was affected by IVF and it sucked because there's no like rhyme or reason, there's no right timing. You just it's like you don't even know when your right time is going to be. It to crapshoot. And by that, it's also the phone calls and the different things that you're doing while you're trying to do your job, or even the medical stuffing you have to go through and wearing you know, unfortunately, like certain things in your clothing because you had to have an operation, and reporting on packers cowboys coming up in America's Game of the Week, Like there's so much that little game. Yeah, exactly. But that's to me, which is why when when you know when you which we'll get to in a second, like told me that this embryo took, and it's just like it's so incredible. Okay, So starting at the very beginning, you had how many embryos left, like how many like did you know that you could like try to get pregnant with, So we didn't have many at all. As my my doctor would say, less than a starting lineup. That's one thing I loved about my fertility doctor so much is that he knew for me, my way to kind of cope with things is sports. And so I would be like, all right, what are we looking at follicle wise? And you've got you have enough for a starting lineup. You know, this one could be your point guard, this one could be your starting quarterback, like things like that, to tell me the strength of the embryos and all that stuff. So less than a handful, less than a starting lineup, which isn't great. And then we started realizing, you know, I, when I was diagnosed with cervical cancer, I should have gotten a second opinion. I didn't. I went to the first doctor that told me that she could get this out, and she didn't, and she packed me open and I lost more of my cervix than was necessary. But unfortunately the cancer went past the margin, so I had to have another surgery, and at that point, holding a baby was just not going to happen. Literally, we went to when we were like, okay, am I going to try to get pregnant now after cervical cancer. We went to a lot of doctors that gave me advice about if I did go into labor while I work in a Green Bay game, or if I did go into labor while I'm working a Patriots game, I have to stay in New England. I have to stay in Green Bay for the rest of my pregnancy, like I cannot move. They even talked about like potentially stitching me up so my cervix could hold it. But unfortunately we made the decision there just wasn't enough there to actually carry a baby, and which was really hard. It was really hard to hear that. But COVID Easter, we were in our house and we're normally at our friend's house who has kids, Jackie Quick or usually, and we're usually with everybody who has kids, and we're just here by ourselves, and we're like this sucks, Like this just sucks. This is I mean, my husband's great, we love each other, but we're like what are we doing. So it wasn't really until that Easter because we were kind of like, well, maybe I will get pregnant, maybe I won't go into labor and maybe it was just like this isn't working. I'm not getting pregnant. They don't want to use the embryos on me because I don't have very many and the potent I'm older, The stats are up against me, the numbers are up against me. I probably will lose the embryos. So, you know, finally we were like, let's just try. Let's look into saragacy, let's see what we can find out, and let's see if it's even for us. So probably twenty twenty one, we really looked into it and we finally found someone. And this is a really difficult process. It's it's mentally exhausting. You literally are. You go to an agency, they look for candidates. Then they send you profiles or resumes of different surrogates and maybe surrogate of her and her husband, and you kind of read it. You read all about their life and you feel like you really think that they're a good match. You could say, I'd like to meet them. Then they read my story and they read Jarrett's story of why we need sarrogacy and why we're looking to go this avenue. Then you get on a zoom because nobody does anything in person anymore because of COVID, and you meet them and you talk to them and you end up crying and you end up saying, you know, thank you so much. This would mean the world to me for you to you know, be able to have my baby. And this is what we've gone through as a family. It's a lot. It's exhausting. Then from there you have to get legal involved and they check them out and then you end up, you know, having them looked at. So we went through that with many, many different women. And my doctor was so so particular and sensitive about who he chose as a surrogate because I didn't have many, so we'd get so close and if they had one little thing wrong with them, he was like, oh my god, I can't I can't do this. In twenty twenty one, we found a lovely, lovely woman. We loved her so much. We adored her family, huge hockey fans. They were just perfect. They were absolutely adorable, they were right up the road. It was perfect. We went into this very we just we didn't really know the risk of it all, and we thought it was going to be so so easy to do, and we ended up putting two embryos in and we lost them both and that was so hard. And that was actually a podcast we did and we didn't say what it was, and I was just sobbing. I think you were in Lake Tahoe and I called you no Lake, Arrolhead sorry.
Speaker 2: Lake, and.
Speaker 1: The text because because we knew like you had, you know, these embryo like the transfer had happened, and just waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting for the news. And then I'll like never forget that tech that I got from you where you're like neither of them were and I just my heart like I'll like cry thinking about it, because you know, these are it's their goal, like these are like when you only have a few. And then yeah, just like my heart like broke for you in that moment. And we, like I said, we went into it so blind. We kind of just thought, wow, like, well, well let's get it over with, let's have twins, like it'll be like really quick and then we'll be done, or if one doesn't take, we'll have the other. And we kind of just thought that's how it went. And so that was a really hard go for me. Jarrett was so good because he kind of like mourned and grieved right away. I remember he went upstairs and just laid in our bed with our dog and just ballwed his brains out. And I just kept thinking, Okay, we have to get past this. We have to get because that's just how I am. That's how I am with like everything. Let's just hey, let's talk about the jets on hard knocks. What's going on? You know, I just don't want to get deeper. And I got really fucked up. I don't know if you remember. I was just not right. I just couldn't communicate my feelings about it. I think I was sed to move forward. What does this mean if I we just lost these two, we don't have much left? What if we don't have success, We're now going to have to find a different person. This is all like crazy and I end up having to get some help because it was actually, I know I've told you this, having a hard time like forming sentences. I just was like missing words more so than usual. You know, I'm good for that, but it was just it made me kind of deal with a lot. It was hard. It was really hard. But I think the biggest thing it made me do was start talking to you. Guys about it all more because you're you're a tough cookie like you let us and us as the proverbial you know, your friend group, your family, like we we know when and when you don't want to open up about stuff, and it's like it's hard because you don't want to press someone. But when you love someone so much and you care about them and you know, you know, you just want to do anything that you can for them. So that's even more of a reason why with your baby boy being have you said his name, Matt, I'm here, MegaR me the big man, tell everyone, tell me his full name. It's Mac Roger for my grandpa who loves sports so much stole. So now all the more reason why Mac being here and again, and we'll get into that other stuff of like the Megan the Megan Mitchell story of like they choose you and like everything happens for a reason, and we've got a lot of years about that dinner at Ponchos at another night.
Speaker 2: Yes, they've run for.
Speaker 1: Episode two of this story because it's so it's just so special. So as on the side of heartbreak is the side of joy. So now being able to sit here and go back on this journey with you and really, like think about how long it's been for you.
Speaker 2: It's a testament to who you are.
Speaker 1: And I know I've said this to you, whether it's you know, at our pseudo baby shower, which I made you have because you reluctantly didn't want to have that and I respect that, but because you don't want the attention to ever be on you. But you have worked so hard and this baby boy is here because you and Jerry didn't give up. And that would be the message, I think, and I would hope that people like you know there's always another option, even if it wasn't your first choice. So right right after all of that happens, then for you sort of what that next step was and how you kept going even if it was so hard dealing with myself talking about it with you guys was a big one for me, you know, Like you said, this led us to something and even greater. We then found our kind of angel, one of our angels. Her name is Stephanie Levitt. She actually runs Family Match Consulting and her story is incredible and she's just an awesome person. I love her so much, and she led us to our surrogate. That wasn't easy though either. We had actually a couple other people that we had interviewed. We got really close with another girl that we thought we were actually going to do it with the transfer with, and that didn't work out, obviously for all reasons that you know. We're fabulous on the other end, but very hard at the time. And Steph made this whole process as just a wonderful experience how it should be, and she led us to our girl and our family. And I'm trying to think. I think it was last summer maybe that we met her. I think it was. I think it was maybe like gosh, like May or June that we met her. And yeah, we met her, and we did a zoom with them, and we thought that they were lovely. But it's kind of like this is like your sixth or seventh interview with a surrogate. You know, you're like, all right, let me cry and tell you my story again. Hello, how are you? But you know, they were great. We met him a few times for lunch and everything, and then when she checked out medically and everything was good. I was telling this story the other day. Obviously I'm a person that can block my feelings, my emotions hide behind sports, not the healthiest thing to do. But I was working a forty nine ers game in I think it was probably like October, maybe the end of September, right before the transfer, and I just blocked it all out, blocked it all out, and then got on the plane to go take off back to LA and I knew, oh no, no, that wasn't even the transfer. The transfer that was to find out if she was pregnant. So on this Sunday, I'm flying home and I just was looking out the window and I just started bawling because I'm like, shit, this is happening tomorrow.
Speaker 2: We were texting.
Speaker 1: I think I was like, I'm having a panic attack.
Speaker 2: And I was like yeah.
Speaker 1: And then I was also grateful that you were only on a forty five minute flight because I was like, I need you on the ground.
Speaker 2: I need you because I don't need.
Speaker 1: You cross country and then you checking out on me, and all of a sudden, I'm like, I can't get to you, so let's make this for I get home and get in your bed. Attendant was like, would you like anything to drink before we take off? Yes, I'll have three drinks. Thank you. I'll have run white and blue. Yeah, but it's really happening. And so that's where like emotionally you were at there and then and then the next day, it was a crazy day. Well first of all leading up to that. After the transfer, it takes about ten to twelve days to figure out if they're pregnant. So my girlfriend Carissa Thompson and Kelly Stafford girlfriends drop off this huge care package to my house and was basically the twelve days of waiting to see if you're pregnant, and each day had a note and a different gift. There were Disney magazines, there were cuddly socks. There were jammis that I wear all the time now my Kate's fade jammys. There were bathrobes, there were lip glosses, there were like Charlotte Tillbury like it was just so sweet and so of course I had it back here like during the podcast and we were filming, and I was like, oh God, people are going to see this. Every day. Jerett would come down and be like, so what is day three? Like what's he four? Like what do you gutsy? So but no, we just wanted we you know, because I remember Kelly and texting me and she was like, we have to distract her. And Kelly's been very very open about her struggle, about her IVF journey journey exactly, and that is I think the thing and hopefully to anyone that's listening, like the support system and whether that's your immediate girlfriends or whether that's strangers that you don't even know, is that unfortunately and fortunately this community is really really big and if you lean on them, those waiting rooms are packed. If you let your friends or even strangers like support you, then you don't feel like you're so isolated. And I don't know, I mean I have never I haven't went on this journey that you have. You can only hope to like support somebody in that be like, Okay, we're here for you. So it was the twelve Days of Distraction and the twelve Days of Christmas.
Speaker 2: Thank You Baby Jesus.
Speaker 1: Culminated in mac Roger Stole because oh my gosh. So then we get through that week because we're all in this together. You guys are all in it. The Stafford's, the Thompson Candaries, like the Stole Andrews. Yeah, like we're in it. My girlfriend Jackie, the Heather, Megan, my other Megan. Yeah, like everybody's in it. They know we're supposed to find out if she's pregnant or if she's not, and that Monday, and so usually when you find out, like last time we found out it didn't work, it was about like four o'clock in the afternoon. So I had said to you guys, like, you guys were being so sweet, and a lot of times friends don't know how to react, like they don't know what to do. They don't want to get in your way, but you guys wanted to be helpful if it didn't work, and I get that. So Kelly tell the story. Kelly had the idea, We're just going to plan a dinner regardless. We're going to plan a dinner because I this is what happened when Matthew won the Super Bowl. Yeah, yeah, we're planning a dinner. We're meeting at such and such a restaurant, Dantannas. What wood care they saying at Dantanna's, let's say whatever time it was, we were going to be at seven o'clock.
Speaker 2: And yeah, so then you're supposed.
Speaker 1: To find out I think like around four, right, was that I thought, yeah, and then and then tell everybody what happened. Well, what are you and Kelly doing that? Whole time, you guys are just texting, right have you heard?
Speaker 2: Have you heard?
Speaker 1: Like of course you're updated. Do I have a wife again? Whif is a signal strong? I remember seeing that. I We're waiting at South Beverly Grill and they're like, oh, drinks, and I was like, I'm going to need another drink. They're like, you're already at your max psychopath, Like you got to go to another restaurant because I was like, we're waiting, and we're waiting, and then like as time keeps going by, and I was like, oh no, because now you're like, oh fuck, like this might not be good enough. Times like keeps going by. So I know we were just waiting for you to tell us great news. But then we got the text that's yeah. So I was laying on the couch and it's like finally five o'clock and I'm just like, I'm literally my heart is just coming out of my check. I'm like, this is crazy. This is like torture to put people through Jared's stomachs, killing him. He's running up and down and so the stairs. It was so finally I just I called the fertility clinic and I was just like, I don't want to press three for help. I don't want to press four for English, Like, just get me an operator, I don't want to hear this music. Just let me know what's going on. So my sweet sweet nurse who I love so much, was like, I am so so sorry. The test results are not going to be in today. You're not gonna find out until tomorrow. And I'm like, they can't do this to me. They cannot do this to me. And instantly I went into, let's call Neil Latrosh with the rams, Let's call somebody from the chargers, like who do we know to break into the lab? Like I literally thought, who from the I'm gonna call Sean McVay right now. I'm gonna call Sean McVay and ask for help, like I need help to get into this lab. And she just said, I'm so sorry, there's nothing we can do. And I texted you guys and you were just like and then our reaction was, how can we break it? We're gonna get arrested this lab. We don't care. Let's go yep yep, and Jen was like, we get your clothes on, let's go. Let's go meet them. Like, let's go meet them, and let's just go have a time because sitting here we're gonna drive each other nuts. I'm gonna, you know, cause some sort of pain or whatever, like to my heart. So I was like, all right, fine, So we got a newberg. We went to Hollywood, and we had a night.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, we had a time.
Speaker 1: In this particular case, Steve, my boyfriend, had been carrying around this little dish with an egg, like.
Speaker 2: A raw egg for how long at that point, like.
Speaker 1: A month's a transfer. Yeah, So since the transfer, he had been carrying around this egg and continued to carry it around until we found out that it worked, and then kept it in our refrigerator until we met Mac because he's like just because we wanted to make sure through the entire pregnancy, like it was like his.
Speaker 2: I have so many pictures of Steve.
Speaker 1: And random faces of the flat family things of like you take the picture of like the random cut out, like and we're in Asia, We're in this hiffel tower. There was seven hundred photos in my phone with Steve with the egg, just randomly around. But yeah, so he brought the egg that night and it was excellent. We were wild, wild, and at one point I got way to whatever with my hands and broke the egg and you guys realized they broke out. It was just a minor crack. There was a minor crack. But I was like, okay, that's okay, that's okay. This doesn't mean anything. We're still good. Uh. But yeah, we tried to get you through that night, and then I had to leave on an early flight the next day to go wherever I was going. So then I was like, oh shit, like when we find out this news, if I want to, like, I better have Wi Fi on this plane, like okay.
Speaker 2: So then the next day happened.
Speaker 1: And I am I have to connect through somewhere, and I remember being like, oh my god, I don't want it because I don't also want to annoy you, like I need what's happening, what's happening. But then I finally, like my phone starts ringing and it's face time with you and Kelly, and my plane's about to take off, and you tell me on the plane that if it weren't I crying, likerying and this. I have this coat over my head and it's like because I'm trying to we're about to take off because they close the door on the plane. Yeah, close the door. And so then you tell me it worked, and I spilled my coffee all over it goes down. I'm like down the woman next to me, and they at this point the thing, I'm just hammered. I'm about to get escorted off the plane because they think I've had way too many, which has happened at the bar, but in this case, I was like hysterically crying, like tears of joy, and it was just we have like stupid pictures of the FaceTime screen shots from that day, but.
Speaker 2: Like, oh my god, like that feeling for.
Speaker 1: You and remember hold on. Remember the flight attendant going, ma'am, you need to turn off your phone and you put a blanket over you. You're like Kristen Wiggan Bridesmaids. You're like, I'm sorry, my friend is pregnant. I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry, and you're crying like you are so lucky they didn't kick you off that plane. But once sound crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah no I didn't.
Speaker 1: I look like a stone, but I didn't. I was like actually kick me off this plane. I dare you too, because I'd love to finish this conversation. Oh my gosh, it was so exciting. So then for you, so this journey and it clinate's in like the news that you've been waiting, you know, the nine years your whole life here and like you and Jared having that moment, And then for you, like, how did the pregnancy for your startin it? Did it feel like it went by fast? Or like, because how is that process for you? And how did it feel sort of being like, you know, just letting this and of course she's a member of your family now, but like you know, somebody carry your baby and that's sort of all the psychological stuff that goes with that and thinking about it daily, I feel like now looking back at it, it does seem like it went by fast. I mean we were in the middle of a football season. The first time we went to go hear his heartbeat. I had conference calls and zooms with the Packers and the Cowboys because they were playing that Sunday in America's Game of the Week. So I remember we went to go listen to his heartbeat and see it, and then I had to race out of there, and Jared's like, let's go celebrate, and I'm like, I have to get in the car. Zach Martinez calling me, I've got to do an interview with Zach Martin as my husband's at the bar, you know, having two Savean blancs, celebrating hearing our kids heartbeat, and then I'm like, hey, we got to make this quick because we have Aaron Rodgers at three o'clock. He's like, can we toast our kid? Like really? So, you know, it's like I was like trying to cram in a football season and then deal with you know this, you know, pregnancy. But it did seem fast, I think looking back at it now, she was everything is everything that we and anyone could ever want. A sarrogate, super calm, super chill, the opposite of real mama, so positive, maybe the opposite of real mom. No, I'm kidding. She's a mom already. She has two kids of her own, she has four kids total, but she also has her husband. She is a great wife, she's a great friend. So she's like everything we wanted in a sarrogate. And then that even like culminated in the delivery, like we'll get to that. But she was such a freakin' baller that so she's amazing. She's everything I'm not in terms of being calm, so chill. She knew she had done Sarahenacy before. She's a mom. She just kind of really led us through it, held our hand, which was incredible. Also a sports fan, here's a fun one. When I had my playoff games, she would turn the TV up so he could hear my voice. No, they did the same thing for Jarrett when Jarrett was on TV so he could hear Jarrett. So yeah, they just got it and they really just guided us through this whole thing. It was awesome. That is so special because we talked about this. There are not enough words to describe the self angels. Yes, I don't even and I would love I mean I know that of course, the anonymity and rightfully so whatever, but like I just want to do like a whole like conversation with like how and why and all the things, and obviously, you know, let's talk Darius on the podcast one time. Let's bring her in. Yeah we should, we definitely should, but like, wow, what an incredible person to do that. I mean, that is like the ultimate act so that's so and so thoughtful, like, oh, you know because again we hear all the time like babies, and the woman can like hear music, and so for her.
Speaker 2: To turn up your voice, that's so sweet.
Speaker 1: I know, sweet, she's the best. She was the best. And like you know, just to fast forward to delivery and all that stuff, that's where, you know, we had a great relationship with them. We'd go meet them, we'd text them, we were on a family text chain with them, everything like that. But it wasn't until the delivery that it was like wow, I mean, she just I mean it just the relationship just moved to a whole different place. And we had a little bit of like kind of an emergency in the delivery room. Nothing major. She just dilated really really fast.
Speaker 3: He dropped.
Speaker 1: They wanted to you know, kind of get his heartbeat like back chill, like they didn't lose his heartbeat, but they wanted to get him ready for delivery. And that's stressful for the baby when they're going through the birth. Now, all the things we talked about it countless number of times, am I going to be in there? Am I going to watch?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: Am I going to do? I don't know, we have a good friend that just went through saragacy. He and his wife were so lovely to me to tell me what they did, and that really helped a lot. But once again, my sarrogate. She guided us through this with her husband as well, and we kind of walked in and they were working on getting the baby calmed down before delivery. They also wanted to get her doctor in there in time because the doctor had left. Nobody thought she was going to give birth that quickly, and she you know, everybody's kind of yelling, and I'm up against the wall and I'm like, oh God, what's happening? And I said to Jarreed, should we be here? Should we be here? Should we be here? And He's like, we're fine, We're fine. But I had my head facing the wall because I didn't want to be in the way of the doctors and the nurses and a lot was happening. They were trying to stabilize a lot of things, and Jarrett was seeing a lot of stuff. So then all of a sudden, a nurse grabbed me and said, she wants to hold your hand. She wants to hold your hand, Like I don't want to get in the way and she's like, go be with her, so they grab me. I walk around and I just clap her hair. It's the most unbelievable thing. And then I'm like, Jared Jarreed, come be with me. She grabs my hand Chrissa and this woman like like she's giving birth. I look at her, she's her main tier just coming down her eye one tier. She's like just an angel a machine, just crushing. And at that moment, Jarrett and I turned into like the biggest sports fan and we're like, come on, you can do it, like you got this girl. And I think I've showed you this picture. I think Jarrett hasn't. And this is where I'm so proud of my husband and I'm just like really following his lead in this is that he we have this picture and he can't wait to show everybody. It's the perfect picture of what Sarah Gacy should be. I'm kissing my girl on the head and Jarrett is just holding the nurse as she's like cleaning up Mac and he's like, you know, he looks like he wont another cup, and it's like that is the perfect picture of sarrogacy, and he just like, you know, they gave us Mac, and we was like, oh my gosh, okay, and it was just so crazy. But then Jarrett could not wait to give him to our girl, to just be like, look what you did. It was amazing.
Speaker 2: That says everything about me.
Speaker 1: If you have a fantastic experience, that's what you feel like, that's what you feel like because you're just like you knew that, yeah, this person's giving a birth, but this person is giving birth to your kid and they are like rock stars doing it. Jarrett couldn't wait, and he has this picture, like he shows it to everyone. I know he probably showed it to you and Steve, but like he's like, look at this picture. This is the first time she saw him. Like it's so sweet. And then we we had a moment when we said goodbye to her in the hospital the next day and she came in to say goodbye and all her family was with her and that was really emotional and like she said bye to Mac and Jarret closed the door and he walked back into the hospital room and he was just crying and I was like, what's happening and he goes, that's it, Like it's just she did so much and that's it, Like that's not She's a part of our family forever, Like, that's not it. But yeah, it's really cool. That whole thing is like another level. I remember you just said that, you know, you know who you're talking about who helped you sort of from that outside perspective of what to expect. So if you could give anybody advice, I know it's so brush because baby bears like brand new, what advice do you have or mothers that are on the other side of you know, waiting for their surrogate, or just sort of like what kind of wisdom can you now bestow upon someone that might be listening that's like hasn't had their baby yet or is thinking about this sort of your big takeaways on the chapters of surrogacy and sort of what you've learned throughout this like incredible process. It's a lot, It's so much to take in mentally, and I would recommend being with a great group that like our Family match Consulting are our woman Stephanie who matched this with the sarrogates. No text was too late or too early in the morning, No text was stupid, no question was ever you know dumb or you know, I know that's redundant, but she just she literally held our hand through it. She also got to know us, so she knew who to place us with, who to match us with, and that was really helpful, especially when you know you even get like what you're packing when you're going to the hospital, like I don't know what I'm bringing, you know, like all those things. So I would say that was the number one thing for us family match consulting. This is not an ad. I can't hype her up enough. You need someone that you really trust because it is a whole new territory we had never been a part of before. You have a ton of questions. You have people in your life asking you questions, so you want to get those answered. And that was big. And another thing you know, Stephanie really guided us on is the fin The financial burden of this whole thing is incredible. It costs a lot of money to do this, and it really got me of thinking, and I know I talked to you a lot about it is that it is for me. I did this because I was not able to carry a baby. That was just not our option. It wasn't a luxury thing. It's not because I didn't want to be pregnant on the sidelines. I would have loved to have been pregnant on the sidelines. I think the guys would have gotten a kick out of it.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you one of those guys, and I'm gonna remind you because he I'll tell you. I'll tell you after it.
Speaker 1: But okay, who So I told Travis Kelsey when I saw him at the charity event that you know these and I hope you don't care, but he's sending me a little care, I know.
Speaker 2: But like I told him because he said.
Speaker 1: About be a badass like baby Louis Vauton like thing. But he was so excited. It was the same reaction that Terry Bradshaw gave when you showed Terry the ultrasound the picture when we were in Las Vegas and the guy's face, and I like, that's why, Like I just I'm so excited, like for so many reasons. But yeah, so Travis.
Speaker 2: Like, oh my god, that's fun.
Speaker 1: Like just so excited for you because you have you are the sister to so many of these guys, you know, and like they're the big brothers and now like Mac has so many big brothers, so it's really really special. I think that's the part that's tearing me up because I like, I've talked about all this stuff, but like I haven't talked to the boys. Yeah, you know. And like Brian Davill texted me the other day and he read it and he's like, I'm so happy, and it was just like those boys know you like right that, Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're the I mean the journey and the hours, and you have spent so much of your life not being able to start your own family or or starting it later in your life because your life has been your professional career. Yeah, but that has been your family, right, And I feel the same way. I sit here and yeah I don't have kids, and like so many those are that's our family. That's our family exactly. So it's just like becomes this extended group that just is so excited for you. And I know that what you want is other people to be able to have the same opportunity that you know you have had. And you just mentioned that there is a huge financial burden, So I think it's really special you spoke about it on the Today's Show and the platform there, and I know that it's really important for you to be vocal about this process. So what do you want people to know that maybe didn't get a chance to hear what you said earlier. No, we're going to wrap up this never ending podcast after this. I do want to talk about this one point quickly, and I have two funny athlete stories about this whole thing. I do want to talk about the financial burden. That's one thing I learned a lot through this whole thing is that you know a lot of people do this, yes for a luxury purpose, but a lot of them do it because it's their only way that they're going to have a baby. And I just every time we would talk to Stephanie or write a check, I just thought, oh my god, think of people in the LBGTQ community think that this is their way to have a baby for you know men, a lot of obviously. And then think about people who went through cancer like I did, spend all their money on these medical bills, and now if they want to have a kid and this is the only way to do it, they've got to pay for IVF and surrogacy. It's just a lot of it. I think we need to rethink the way we talk about it. We need to make it comfortable in conversations, and then I feel like it's going to be easier for people to realize people need financial help for this. So Stephanie, who I've talked about a lot, I noticed that she would align herself with this group called Baby Quest Foundation, and she actually helped a woman go through sarrogacy and she helped get it financed. And Baby Quest Foundation, I want to say it right, they actually are on a mission to make parenthood happen for those who cannot afford the high cost of IVF, sarrogacy, egg and sperm donation, egg freezing, embryo donation. They're focused on helping couples or singles in this journey, especially those who are cancer survivors, military personnel, regardless of genitor and sexuality. They've given out twenty grants to help people get their babies. And this is just something that I'm really, really really excited I did about aligning myself with I just I feel like we have a purpose. I feel like we have a voice for all this, and I'm really really looking forward to it so more to come on all of that. I think that's so special because it is it's not something that you should be you know you should feel like, oh, I can't do it because of financial reasons. So knowing that there's options, I think that's really special to pay it forward because that is the ultimate thing, is that you have the ultimate gift now and you've had a lot of people that have helped you along the way, but that all want to help others. I know you're quick to deflect, yeah, attention, but it also starts with you and Jared, and that you know that that athlete mindset that you guys both have, like you don't give up, and you didn't give up, and now you have a baby boy. So I have to ask the question of like, what has been the best part about being a mother, albeit your short tenure, what has been like the greatest thing, Like what has.
Speaker 2: Surprised you the most good and bad?
Speaker 1: Like changing diapers or like like give me the good, the best, the biggest surprise, good and bad. Just kind of studying his face, watching my husband with him, Jared is always like I'm your dad to Jared, really hot, I'm your dad. I'm your dad. And then because we're both super competitive, not so much with each other, but just in life, it's like all change the diaper, I want to try this because we both want to nail it, Yeah, to be better than each other. I'm setting a tested this. I'm sitting on your couch because I was like, I need to see him immediately, like the second like I got over there, he needed deciper change, and you guys were like, So it's really sweet to watch you guys as a team where it's like, oh no, you can hope if you do it. Like, it's just really special to see your relationship now with Jared in a completely different way and seeing you hold a baby like is my like magic, I'm so happy for you. Let's switch gears here a little bit and feature one of our favorite guests. This may or may not have been one of my favorite podcasts we've done so far with Greg Olsen. This interview was so much fun. My face hurts so much from laughing the whole time. He tells us he refuses to accept anything from flight to tendis no matter how long the flight is, which is crazy. See no water, no snacks, no nothing, what's that about? He also knows this guy. He also explained to us what a whisper fight is and has a great impersonation of Ea. He's an absolute time. Here's part of our interview with three time pro bowler NFL on Fox analysts Greg Olsen. So there was an article out last week, Greg, we go for the hard hitting news about wearing socks to bed. I think I talked to you a little bit about this. Just are you a person that wears you socks to bed? Because apparently it's as bad as sleeping in a toilet. There's like cockroach feces on it, There's like all the disgusting dirt, and then people are actually putting that in your bed. Thoughts on wearing socks to bed? Yes or no?
Speaker 3: One hundreds percent?
Speaker 1: No? Did you do it? Well, you're a very sweaty person, so you probably can't.
Speaker 3: Like I'm showering, I'm yeah, my daily activity. Whatever I wear throughout the course of any part of my day, there is going to be a buffer, which is a shower prior to me getting underneath the covers. There is no like go in raw dog with what I'm wearing all day and getting into bed like that's not happening. There's a shower, there's a fresh pair of pants, a fresh pair of shorts, whatever it is before I get pull those sheets down and get under the covers. There's nothing on my body that was worn for one minute during the day when I get in bed.
Speaker 1: Except for when you came on the road with that outfit that you wore for twos drinking.
Speaker 3: No, I'll wear it during the day. I just won't get in bed with it. So full disclosure on that on that story, because I know that made the Calm Downd podcast weeks ago. I have a So here's what I pack, and my and my wonderful wife, she's the one who actually passes for me. So I'm like that guy who doesn't pack his own ship. Like when I when I open my suit the morning of the game, I have no idea what it's look I have no idea what it looks like. I don't have a clue with anything in my dad mats. I wear.
Speaker 1: Matt Lauren look. And don't blame Lauren, sho's busy dealing with the twelve kids. Come on, Matt, be better. Okay, next anyway, we'll save that.
Speaker 3: We'll save that for episode sixty six. So I show up in like a casual. I show up in like a casual. Offit when I fly in and then I bring an outfit for dinner, and then I typically fly home. If I have a chance to change after the game, I'll just put on what I flew home. And so I only bring the outfit I wear, and then I have to pack an outfit for dinner and a suit and then like all my toiletrue shit, It's like that's all I bring. I'm a minimalist. I don't bring any extra shoes. I wear one pair of shoes. I wear them the whole weekend. I'm a minimalist. That night we went to dinner and it was in the hotel and everyone was kind of casual, so I was like, I don't need to put on like jeans or like long pants and a collar shirt. And I was like, I'm just gonna wear what I have on the problem is that was only intended to fly in. Then I was supposed to see everybody for dinner in a different outfit and then fly home in that outfit from the day before and not see anyone. So my issue was it was a night it was a night game, so we had like a morning production meeting. So I showed up, said hide, everyone came to dinner, same outfit. That's my next day casual outfit. I'm just not supposed to wear it to dinner. So I literally saw them at four pm and until like noon the next day, every time anyone saw me, I was exact outfit. Amazing. I had toothprast and I had toothpaste on my pants. That's that. It was great.
Speaker 1: Sure you did so, it was.
Speaker 3: It was. It wasn't It wasn't great. So that's so that's that story. That's why I had on the same clothes. But long story short, No, I'm not getting in bed with anything that I wear throughout the course of the day, starting fresh, shower, clean clothes, bed start the next morning.
Speaker 1: Okay, So to give you a little context again on all these these are just questions that like Aaron and I go through. But we love a guy's perspective, so I won't even ask you the under we're inside out because that's we don't even need that for this one. Okay, judging strangers and knowing their backstory without talking to them. So Aaron and I have this thing. You know Erin very well now is having spent the last year and a half with her on the road. I will sit down at a restaurant, I will see a couple or friends or a group of people I have diagnosed. Like, the diagnostics is crazy. I'm like, I've given them jobs, I've given them. I know what the drama. Yeah, like I know what they're fighting about. I know that there's like drama in their marriage. Are you good? I feel like you would they I already know the answer to this. Are you good about assessing the city? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, absolutely, right, absolutely? I know if it's their first day, their last date, if they've been going together for a long time. Shit's good at home? Shit's not good at home? Is this a makeup date because the husband forgot her birthday? Yeah? I gotta, I gotta. And again, if you asked me, I've got nailed. Obviously, I can never confirm any of my preconceived notions.
Speaker 1: We should actually do that. We should all go out. We should diagnose someone in the restaurant and then go up to them and see if what we think is actually happening. It's only fun if we're all together though.
Speaker 3: We think they're on their first date, they've been married for thirty five years.
Speaker 1: Let's find out. Let's see how good we are at this game. I'm into do it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, fair enough. That's a good exercise for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, our next one, Chris I had a mishap where she lets Steve, her boyfriend, handle the details of a friend's wedding that they went to this past summer. She didn't get all the details. She ended up thinking that she looked like one of the band members that was performing at the wedding. Is it your responsibility to properly inform your wife of the dress code or her responsib ability to find.
Speaker 3: Out that's her responsibility. Yeah, there's there's not a lot of And listen, I'm just speaking from my own perspective in my own marriage, there's zero logistics being done by me. Yeah, I know that I'm not and Aaron knows this. I don't know what hotel we're at. I don't know what time we're leaving for the game. I don't know. I don't know who's playing Adam, Yeah, exactly. I find out who the teams are the next the morn, the night before. I'm not a real heavy detail guy. So in my again, in my family, in my relationship, my marriage, my wife is what time we're leaving, what's the expectation of the dress code, Who's going to be there, What is the event for? Who are we going to see? What time we're leaving, how are we getting there? Who has the tickets?
Speaker 1: I'm doing nothing, Okay, I'm exactly the same way. Erin will text me and be like what hotel you out this week or what? I don't know. I'm on my way. I'm literally in the car from the airport. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I whatever takes me where the drivers front that hotel sounds great.
Speaker 1: And the best is gonna make me give you the address. You're like, all right, we're going to one two three Orange Avenue. My great, Yeah, and that's where you're taking me. That sounds great.
Speaker 3: The driver could be taking me to an abandoned warehouse Detroit to murder me. And I'm like, that sounds great. I'm looking forward to it. How far are we?
Speaker 1: I always say that how far away? And I brought one pair of shoes and one sweatshirt.
Speaker 3: And I have one outfit, so you better not change the venue on me.
Speaker 1: Well, the backstory, though, is it was Steve's friend like that was getting married, Like these were new friends to me. It's his side of the aisle that was getting married. And so I'm like, hey, what are we wearing? He's like, oh, something casuals. It's a western theme wedding. I walked downstairs looking like fucking Montgomery Gentry's backup singer.
Speaker 3: You didn't and you look you look like from Yellowstone I did.
Speaker 1: I thought, is this Halloween trick or treat? And everyone else is in full length like like gowns, like it was a formal wedding. I was like, I literally had Greg. I had a hat on like you have on right now. And I looked at Kelly Steffy and I goes, do you think it will help if I take the hat off? She goes, yeah, take the hat off, and I'm like, well, I can't because the extensions haven't been washed in four days. I said, fuck it, I'm just leaving this outfit on. At one point I thought they were going to look at me for the entertainment. Halfway through the wedding to Saint whose bed had these fuck that looks like indible asshole. Okay, wait, Greg, did you have a story? I thought you had something.
Speaker 3: It doesn't involve me, but every time I think about showing up to a wedding, ill prepared. I have a buddy through my brother through my older brother that had a buddy that went to a wedding in India. He's like a white guy. Like, he's a white guy, you know, and he showed up to a wedding in India. So he's like, I want to be respectful of their traditions. Yeah, so he goes out and he buys traditional Indian formal apparel. Oh no, he shows up to a wedding in India the only fucking person dressed in traditional Indian garb. Every other male there is in like a suit. He goes. I walk in and I'm this, I'm the only white guy in the whole fucking place. I'm dressed like I'm in a fucking movie, and all these people are looking at me like this stupid American is like mocking our culture. And he's like, little did I know, I'm trying to be respectful. So every time I think about people ill prepared for weddings, I think of that story and it makes me die. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there was not, Uh, there wasn't an issue of disrespecting culture. It was disrespecting theme. In this particular case, we went formal and I went western.
Speaker 3: It was the theme of the wedding.
Speaker 1: It was in. It was in and so it was like, hey, Western, but that apparently was the night before and the actual wedding was black tie. So standing next to Troy Aikman in a fucking talk So I'm like, hey, want my autograph? I'm a Shanaia toy an impersonator.
Speaker 3: Not so.
Speaker 1: And this is what makes it worse Steve doubles down is he's in a tux and he goes which should have been my first clue when as he's putting the tucks on, I'm like, hey, where's your bolo tie? Like I thought this was a thin well that.
Speaker 3: That was gonna be my question, like, at what point did you it? Was? It just the women were going to go western and like the men were going to traditional faster.
Speaker 1: She's you, she's not good with those details. You know what, Greg, we show up and we're the entertainment.
Speaker 3: Apparently, listen what my role in the entire event is once I get there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly? Okay. On a flight, do you chat with your seat neighbor or sit in silence and keep to yourself? What is your etiquette on flight?
Speaker 3: I'm overly nice when I sit down, Like because I'm a window guy.
Speaker 1: I feel like you have a lot happening when you sit down to like there's a lot happening. I know there's a lot happening. Fuck, you're sweating, you got ship everywhere. You're calling Karen. The kids say, I feel like there's a lot the window.
Speaker 3: I love sitting the window because I don't want to have to sit in the aisle because A my leg gets bumped, and B I don't want to get up at the person in the other seat has to go to the bathroom. So I but I'm always late getting on the plane. So I'm always the second person in my little two seat, you know, a little pairing to get in their seat, so the person has to get up and let me in and whatnot. I always say hello, I always you know, I hope you having a good day. Blah blah blah blah blah blah. I get that all out of the way, and then it's like headphones on and against the window. I'm done, and I'm if I'm not falling asleep, I'm pretending I'm asleep. I don't drink, I don't eat, I don't accept anything from the flight attendants. I'm I'm in the corner. I hold my pee for twelve hours. I'm not getting up to go to the bathroom. I'm not getting a drink, I'm not getting food. I'm sitting in my corner and when the wheels hit the ground, I reappear to the rest of the world.
Speaker 1: Why don't you have water?
Speaker 3: I get my own, like bottled water. Like I'll get a snack at like the noose place, you know, and I'll get like, you know, I'll get a snack and an M and M and a bottled water. But I like never accept anything from the flight attendant. I don't know why. It could be a twelve hour flight or a forty five minute flight. Once I sit down, I'm on my own. I'm on my own deal.
Speaker 1: I don't are you Are you afraid of poisoning? What's going on? What do you mean? You don't accept? But like, what what's happening?
Speaker 3: It's a good I don't know. I don't really even have a real reason behind it. It's just the way I am. It's I just shake off. No, no, I'm good, No, no, I'm good. I just it's like he gives me a curve ball and I want to throw a fastball.
Speaker 1: Wor's Greg maddox, I like to go slower. All right, dogs at restaurants, okay or not?
Speaker 3: This is a tough one. Why I'm married to a dog lover. I have two dogs. I have two German Shepherds that are awesome. They're very well trained. They listen for the most part. My older dog really is good. So I have a skewed reality of like what an obedient dog is. So if you're gonna bring your obedient dog and it's gonna lay under the table and not interfere with anyone, great, and we're sitting I'm all for it. The problem is nobody trains their dogs. Nobody. Everyone thinks their dogs are like their kids, and like they're obligated and entitled to just like free roam of the restaurant, and that everyone wants to see their dog, Like I don't want to step over your dog to go to the bathroom. So if you're gonna bring your dog, fine, but that thing should be lay underneath your feet. It should not be in any of the territory of the aisles. The waiters should not be stepping over it. The waitresses should not be like kicking your dog as they serve me my food and If you can do that, then bring your dog. More power to you. But if your dog's gonna be like a social butterfly and just have its way around the restaurant, then I'm not interested.
Speaker 1: Can you please tell your dog in the Luke Keickley story, Please tell curse of that story? Or do you don't want to?
Speaker 3: No? I would love to.
Speaker 1: Oh my God, tell it.
Speaker 3: So it's COVID. So it's twenty twelve, it's COVID spring. I'm training to get ready to go to Seattle, and Luke has since retired and he's training with me because the world has come to a stop. So I had like a small gym above my garage and we would work out in the morning. So it's early in the morning. I don't know, it's eight am, nine am, whatever it is. And only my youngest son is awake. So at the time, he's seven eight, he's young, and he's sitting at the kitchen table and he's like having cereal, and I'm upstairs in the gym, and Luke lets himself in the side door and he sees TJ through the windows sitting by himself at the little kitchen island having breakfast. But he doesn't see my ginormous eighty pound German shepherd sitting next to him on the ground. So Luke lets himself in quietly. I'm upstairs, and he's like, I'm gonna scare TJ. So he comes around the corner real quiet, and he's like and he like makes a big, like startling noise to try to scare TJ. Well, my dog whose name is Tucker, my older male. He jumps into action and he stands up. You know, he's big. Now he's like and he so I hear Tucker go crazy. So I I come running down the stairs from upstairs in the gym, and he has Luke pinned up against the wall.
Speaker 1: He goes you and I don't know who Luke keg is not small, no.
Speaker 3: Not small, all pro Hall of Fame linebacker, and he has Luke pinned up against my kitchen wall and he is just woo woo woo woo woo woo woo. And what he's doing is dying. He's up against the wall like pinned, like frozen. And I come down and I give him like the friend command that tells him to just like let his guard down and go back to his little bed and to this day, when Luke comes over our house, he's like, where's Tuckerer, And like Tucker has to come over, and like he'll give him a little pet, but like he has been startled. It's like a running joke. Every time I see Luke, I'm like, hey, don't worry, Tucker's not here. He's not going to pin you against the wall.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. That takes a lot to share that guy.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 3: It's a great it's a great story.
Speaker 1: We had so much good stuff this year that we decided to break this up into two parts for you guys. All right, here we go. Part two. We will pick back up with Greg Olsen and round out the new year with wisdom from one of our favorites, Dan Patrick. Calm Down with Erin and Carissa is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.