Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to another episode of the All Thoughts Podcast. I'm Tracy Alloway and I'm Joe Wisenthal. Joe, this is it. This is your long awaited embre Aer episode.
Speaker 3: We're finally doing it. There are certain episodes we talked forever about doing that we never do. The Jones, the d Oh No. We did do a Dredgi Act episode, the Jones Act being the big one. The other one is we've never done it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: The Dredge Act episode was like a shadow Jones Act episode.
Speaker 3: True because price We've never done an Onion Futures episode. But at long last we are going to be talking about Embraer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is such an interesting company. I know we brought it up a few times before. But the thing about it is, when you think about aerospace and the layout of that particular industry, you usually think Boeing versus Airbus. And we've certainly talked recently about the competition between those two companies. They are the two biggest airplane manufacturers aerospace manufacturers. But there's a third one, Comac. Not quite yet, there's a third one, and it is a lot smaller than Boeing and Airbus, but the fact that it exists at all is kind of phenomenal. I don't think a lot of people would have expected that the world's third biggest aircraft manufacturer is in Brazil.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right, because for one thing, a you never hear about them. B Generally speaking, there are not many Latin American successfully global advanced manufacturing companies period. There are other big Latin American companies obviously, but not in manufacturing.
Speaker 2: Most of them have to do with agriculture or commodity.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, it's a very unlikely story, the fact that this company exists at all. And it's not just that they exist, because the first time that they came up on the show, it was in the context of a conversation about the troubles of Boeing. They're really good, they're really respected in very well regarded, very well regarded, they make high quality products, they're in demand from carriers all over the world. And so it's not just that it exists. It's not just as from Latam at least in its niche. It's considered to be one of the best in the world.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and so I think it's a worthwhile subject to explore. How did Embrer come into being, what is its product offering, what is the appeal? You know, it's a global market, how has it managed to make inroads there, and what, if anything it says about industrial policy and current efforts to develop technologically advanced industries.
Speaker 3: This is the key thing, because we talk a lot about industrial policy right now, in part because the United States and also to some extent Europe, we're in the midst of this sort of industrial policy fever, and there's this enthusiasm for spending money, and there's this enthusiasm for reindustrializing and building up at least some capacity in certain critical things, whether it's electric vehicles, whether it's batteries, whether it's solar panels, whatever it is. So I think it's important to sort of have an understanding of prior waves of industrial policy, because all governments from time to time want to build their own champions or want to be less reliant on some other country that they import from, and so it's really good to sort of get an understanding of some of the success stories and what actually happened.
Speaker 2: Absolutely all right, So this is a special episode, which means we have two guests to talk about this. We're going to start with someone who's been on the podcast before. Richard Abulafia is of course the managing director over at Aerodynamic Advisory, and we're going to start with him. Richard, thank you so much for coming back on all thoughts.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's a real pleasure. Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: So when I think about the landscape of aerospace, I mostly think about Boeing an airbus, but of course there is a third and it happens to be Embreyer.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's right, much smaller but very, very impressive and deeply influential company of Embreyer.
Speaker 3: So what is this company? What do they make? And when you say impressive, what do you mean by that?
Speaker 5: Well, the fact that they were created and were able to deliver aircraft that the market wanted and have been through multiple different incarnations over the years, a respected provider of aircraft to both airlines, business aviation customers and even military customers. It's pretty remarkable when you think about it, given the very high barrier entry in this business.
Speaker 2: So one thing I always hear when we start talking about Embreer and how did it manage to become the third biggest airplane producer in the world. A lot of people will bring up this idea of specialization or having some sort of niche in the market, some sort of focus, And for Mbreer, it's the business jet, right like, that's kind of what they're known for. A lot of people consider them the gold standard in smaller business or regional jets. How did that specialization come to be?
Speaker 5: Well, you know, the real breakthrough was in scheduled air transport, first with turboprop regional aircraft, then with regional jet regional aircraft. After a couple of decades of doing that, they realized that the business aviation industry was actually quite right for them to enter, and indeed, the profit margins typically are higher in the business jet industry. What they did was basically a form of arbitrage. They recognized that the margins they'd enjoy in business aircraft would be higher than regional but maybe perhaps a little bit lower than the traditional business jed companies like Cessna or Oker, Beachcraft or Bombardier. So therefore, if they were aggressive about pricing, their margins would go up, but they could still get into that business aviation market. And to this day, business aviation has been effectively constituted as the third leg of MBRERE. The first original was sort of on the military side, then the big breakthrough scheduled air transports, and now also business aviation.
Speaker 3: So you mentioned smaller regional commercial plans, So just to be clear, they don't have like a big wide body like Boeing and Airbus two.
Speaker 5: They don't really have a big wide body at all, and they don't even have a proper narrow body unfortunately, and the entire airline world would love them to develop a traditional mainline narrow body at this point. As a matter of fact, I think they're crying out for it because Boeing is stumbling very badly as the second place. The Airbus's doing great, but they've got backlogs that are ten years long. So get wine. Eventually you'll get your jet. People are crying for Embrayer to do something bigger than the kind of large regional jets that they've been doing. The one five E two series is kind of right on that border between regional jet and mainline jet. But you know, it can't do say transcn us or something that a seven thirty seven Nax or an a three to twenty Neo can do. Routinely, But boy, what airlines love them to develop a new product that did that.
Speaker 2: How is it that a Brazilian company is in a position where the world's aviation market or airlines are crying out for it to develop a narrow body because in some respects, you know, we have national aerospace companies in other places. So the last time we had you on the podcast, we talked about Comac for a little bit. In Russia, there's Tupulev and I can't remember the other one. I think it starts with an US. But those haven't really broken out of their local markets in the way that ember Air has. How have they managed to do that?
Speaker 5: Well, you've got to go back to that. I don't want to say those great old days because they weren't great. But everyone thought, gee, we should carbon factory in the jungle and build our own cars, aircraft, computers, whatever else. And so many people tried that. There were some truly spectacular failures. In Latin America you had FMA and Argentina and Air and Chile. In Indonesia you had IPT and lots of people had that idea. The Japanese tried it, lots of people, and the Chinese and Russians have been sort of screwing around with it for some time. Also, Ambrayer could have easily gone down that path of failure, but a couple of things happened. One they hit paydirt with a couple of key products, most notably the embreyor one twenty, which was a turboprop transport that really proved quite popular in North America back in the nineteen eighties. And after that, rather than basically can on that government owned government hobby shop that they had been on and others had been on, they decided to privatize, and they did that extremely successfully in the nineties. And then on top of that, they continued that engineering driven culture. They had a lot of their people who came from a school that they and the government kind of co owned that basically proved a terrific farm for engineers and executives going into the airspace business. Ita, I believe, and this culture has prevailed to this day despite privatization. They've managed to come up with a very happy combination of government driven industrial policy transformed into something that is sustainable and profitable.
Speaker 3: I'm going to ask a really big zoom out question because I realize I'm very ignorant of this, and I like, Oh, there's a big plane that's a wide body, and then there's a less big plane that I called a narrowbody, but maybe it's not technically a narrowbody. I realized I actually don't know any of this. Perhaps there are some listeners who are the same. Can you talk about actually just define some of the key segments of the commercial aviation business broadly, and then with EMBRA air in the markets they compete in. What do we talk about in terms of market share?
Speaker 5: Yeah, first of all, commercial jet transport, That of course is airline travel, and that has three flavors. One is a wide body, which is typically for intercontinental international routes, and it's very simple. You get on board and they're two aisles rather than one. Only Airbus and Boeing do those. China would like to get into that. The only country in the world outside the US that ever did its own was the old Soviet Union. Europe only did it by pooling their resources and creating Airbus. Then you've got narrow bodies, which are basically for mainline jet operations, single aisle in the middle, typically starting at about one hundred and twenty hundred and thirty passengers and a minimum of say three thousand autical miles or something like that. Then you've got regional jets which look kind of like small trunken narrow bodies that just don't have the rains. They typically max out at maybe fifteen hundred nautical miles and typically about one hundred and twenty people, so they're not below and embrayor has produced either the very smallest narrow bodies or the very biggest regional jets you can possibly find it or create, and they've done incredibly well with them, like wow, that's a really quality product. But they simply don't satisfy the requirements for airlines that want to do traditional mainline trans con routes with a sufficient number of sizes. I think Southwest for example. You know, the smallest Southwest plane is just slightly bigger and more capable than the biggest Embraer aircraft. In terms of military you know, they were originally created effectively, is to put it gently, a kind of a hobby shop for the fascist Hunta in Brazil circa you know, sixty seventy years ago. So they did basic military self sufficiency sort of stuff. But they've evolved and it produced some pretty impressive aircraft and right now co producing grief Invider jets designed by SAB for the Brazilian Air Force. Most impressively, they've created this remarkable military transport, the Case three to ninety, which can also do air to air refueling for the Brazilian Air Force and for export customers. It's a remarkable creation typically for Embra Air, designed on time and on budget, so that just goes to show what they can do. And then finally the third leg business aircraft, individual owners and operators, fractional share providers, anybody who's catering to wealthy people and wealthy companies that want their own form of private travel.
Speaker 2: Joe, I always like looking at the regional jets because you've got some weird ones, and you've got some weird branding choices too. So I remember I was on I guess it must have been like Austrian Airlines, and it was a Dash eight from de Haveland, so a little turboprop, and on the engine they had written in cursive the Sounds of Silence, and that was the branding for the engine. And I remember sitting there about to take off, just thinking like silence is not the thing you want to hear when you're on a turbo prop soaring above the mountains.
Speaker 3: I get, yeah, a little macaw, maybe a little Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's also there's a kind of weird Bombardier. I don't even know if this would count as a regional jet because I think it's for military use, but it has like this really weird nose. If you look it up, it's like.
Speaker 5: The Yeah, the Bombardier cr Jason. Yeah, there's inverted to various military uses. What's interesting is that Bombardier was originally the third biggest airframer and they kind of mostly died. They're now the world's only pure play publicly jet Prime. Everything else has been sold off after they kind of at the company on something that cost way too much, so Embray Air was left with the keys to the kingdom. In terms of market share, they've got one hundred percent of the regional jet market, a great place to be, and a perfectly respectable single digit percentage of the business aircraft market.
Speaker 6: And they really have.
Speaker 3: They have one hundred percent in that regional So we're talking about the US or where one hundred percent. That sounds crazy.
Speaker 5: There's no one else competing with them in regional jets. Nominally, the Chinese are building the AARJ twenty one for Chinese customers. Not sure i'd count it, but if you did, you know it would be ninety ten or whatever.
Speaker 2: That's crazy. So I remember, you just jogged my memory, Richard. But when I was covering airlines in like circa two thousand and eight, I remember writing Bombardier headlines all the time, and then they just kind of like, yeah, it.
Speaker 3: Was something in like twenty fifteen. I remember when I just joined Bloomberg and there was a bunch of stuff. What happened with them? Because I remember, yeah, the headline where they going to be saved or bought or bailed out or something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right, And basically they decided to make that leap into narrow bodies. They developed or tried to develop, something called the C series, which was exactly in that low end Airbus and Boeing class, and they bit off more than they could chew. They counted on the Canadian government and the Quebec government provincial government bailing them out, which to a certain extent worked, but boy, they just kept needing money and it became a giant money pit, and eventually they had to pay Airbus to take this jet off their hands so they could say, oh, please, let us at least, you know, salvage something from this terrible experience. And now it's known as the Airbus A two twenty is a good jet. But Bombardier was forced to sell off everything, including its regional jet division, which the Japanese bought to no purpose or end. And all Bombardier does now is business jets. Thankfully, they do them very well and it's a good company, but they ve exy did everything else.
Speaker 2: So going back to the sort of nineteen seventies nineteen sixties aspect of all of this, so you laid out very clearly the idea that there were a lot of different countries that had national champions in terms of aerospace companies. Everyone's trying to make their own car or make their own plane or whatever. And when I think about that time, I think about protectionism for some of those industries as well. And so I guess the thing I'm wondering is, how did a company like mbreer get a foothold in the US. Was there some sort of like deregulation or liberalization of the market that allowed it to get in there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is absolutely a key thing to explore, and it's something unique to the aircraft industry that you can't really do autarchy. A lot of the theories of Latin American and other emerging country developments revolved around autarchy, our own demand, our own whatever. You can't do that with aircraft. You just can't because seventy eighty percent of the value of an aircraft is in extremely technical parts. You know, you might be able to do your own aircraft. Good luck doing your own turbine engine, or your own avionic system or your own auxiliary power unit or whatever else. That's all coming from somebody else. And they recognized that, and they said, you know again, great management. They said, oh, we have to be a systems integrator like Dell Computer. Okay, And I think I think sometime in the early nineties Jeffrey Sachs the economists the great observation. They're Brazil's greatest exporter. They're also one of their biggest importers. They have to that's the way it works.
Speaker 3: So one of the other striking things is they have this dominant market share in specific categories. It's impressive, it's profitable, which is you know, not always a given. It's also very small from a market cap standpoint, It's just a five billion dollar company. Boeing is one hundred and nine billion dollar companies, So it could lose five billion dollars in market cap on a random Monday with like a bad headline. What is the constraint there? Is it not really been optimized? These just not that big markets that it's playing in, even if it has dominant share, Is it not that profitable? Has it not been run? I mean, arguably one of the challenges or one of the complaints leveled at Boeing it's, you know, it's been run too aggressively to make profits at the cost of reliable planes. Is there a situation kind of the opposite where it's been less sort of focused on creating shareholder value.
Speaker 5: You know, it's just really hard to break out of their swim lanes. They developed a couple of business jets, or of them to be exact, that are really great business jets, but you have to have more than that to achieve critical mass. Similarly, regional jets, you know, the three buckets and scheduled air transport. Regional jets are like maybe five percent of the whole business, so it's really tough to break out of that. And of course they're military share. Well, the military market's unbelievably fragmented, so no matter how good you are, you're not going to build an F thirty five fighter jet. You're going to get have a tiny, tiny share. So they're very well run. They tend to be a bit conservative, that is true, and here we are today where all the world's airlines love them and trust them and want them to develop a jet that would compete with Airbus and Boeing. But it's really tough to make that leap.
Speaker 2: Why the reticence, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, give you an idea. You know, when Marty a bet the company on that C series I mentioned before, they were a twenty billion dollars a year company. So imagine if you're a five or six billion dollar company and you're asked to make that giant investment in a narrow body aircraft. You'd better have some very deep pocketed partners helping you to do that, and maybe they'll line those up. But the idea of doing it on their own, that's like asking one of us to go and win the Nobel Prize in physics it's just a big just really hard.
Speaker 2: How much synergy is there between building a regional jet versus like the next level up a narrow body, Like is it just a matter of you know, taking all the components and spreading a model, Yeah, increasing them by twenty percent or something like that. Or what's actually the difference in terms of engineering.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a great question. It's really financial bandwidth in terms of skill set very similar. Good program management and great connections between the people at the top. This is what's gone wrong at Bowing, the connections between the people at the top and the people engaged in the company's core business of designing and building planes. It's gone horribly wrong. And dembrare No, they're pretty darn good. So good program management, good company management, good systems engineering, good systems integration. They're great at all of us. The case three ninety most effectively illustrates that new military transport. What we're just talking about is that as you get bigger in size class, oh boy, their requirement for cash bros exponentially, so that C series total spend at the end of the day about seven billion dollars maybe eight billion in today's money. You know, back then four or five almost broke the company really really hard to get, and that was something that was smaller that I think that Embryer would like to do. Embryer, I think would love to do a one hundred and eighty or two hundred feet jed. They're going to need something on the order of eleven twelve billion dollars in today's money, and that's just not going to come from a five billion dollar a year in revenue company.
Speaker 3: I'm sort of realizing, Tracy, because you know, my first question is like, oh, what's so impressive about this company, And the answer is the fact that they can make airplanes at all consistently puts them into such a narrow company that almost by definition, it is impressive. Do you think at some point they will or is it just they will try to like level up to another scale and compete in a new market, or is that risk of just sort of betting the whole house on a new thing and not being able to sure you can do it just like too inherently risky for a company.
Speaker 5: Besides, yeah, they just aren't going to do it on their own. It's just physically not possible. Again, for the same reason, I won't get that Nuclear Physics Prize any times. In However, what is sort of intriguing is there are game changers out there. You've got these very large US defense primes that might be looking to diversify into adjacencies, and some of them are assistance providers too, like an RTX or a GE or you know, even a North of Crumen. On the on the pure point defense side, maybe someone say, hey, this is an intriguing possibility. But then even more intriguing, you've got these economies in the Arab Gulf, Saudi Arabia and the UA looking to diversify with vast oil revenue. Maybe they could work with Embreyer and say, hey, this is intriguing. Now. The problem is, of course, you know what's in it for them. How do you have this great culture of engineering in Brazil and somehow migrate that to reodd or something that's really super tricky. In the track record of aircraft companies working with people who have money and want to get into it, it's not a great track record. Taiwan and McDonald douglas tried that three decades ago. Didn't go so good. But you can't rule it out and the amount of money that's slashing around in the oil states. Is it wouldn't even move the needle. If they were to say, here's twelve billion, let's build a jet. You wouldn't even show up and it wouldn't even show up in their balance sheet. It's walking around money.
Speaker 2: Maybe soft Bank can give them like fifty billion or something. Why not be better then going into like some new SaaS company. Okay, I have just one more question, and this is something that I read a number of times when I was researching what makes Embraer special and people kept saying it's also ease of the mechanics. So the idea that it can be fixed up pretty quickly and pretty simply, and that's probably important if it's a smaller jet that's going into smaller airports or more far flung locations where resources are more limited. And I guess my question is a is that true? And then be how do you achieve that? Because my assumption would have been that every aerospace manufacturer in the world would be trying to create a problem free aircraft that doesn't need a lot of work on it.
Speaker 3: And I'll just add a quick c onto Tracy's question. But do the constraints of having to operate in a country like Brazil or regional areas like that, do they have a forcing effect on achieving that result of simplicity and ease of prioritizing things like ease of repair, stuff like that.
Speaker 5: Will you go back to the origins of the company, when they were designing planes like the embryor one ten Bandirante and other planes. You know it's agricultural aircraft. They were all too mindful of the rather difficult operating circumstances of a developing country like Brazil back then, and they've had that mindset ever since. Now, our regional jets, remember, our business jets, remember, are more maintainable than others. Not really, but what they have gotten as a consequence of that experience is an awareness of the important a good product support. And it takes that background, that experience to realize that. Like right now, you know, you've got everyone talking about COMAC and China. Yes, excuse me, you need a worldwide global support infrastructure before we even talk about exports, and they're like, we need what now? And that is one of the very biggest barriers to entry. And because of embraer As origins, recognizing the importance of maintainability. They've always emphasized that, they've always been really good about it. So since World War Two, there's exactly been one country and one company that has successfully entered the industry of building commercial airliners, and that's Embray Air. That's incredible. Maybe the Chinese are almost there, maybe we don't quite know. They certainly haven't done so on an export basis the way Embrey Air has. But in the historical context of everyone trying to get into this industry and everybody failing, Embraer stands out as a remarkable success story.
Speaker 3: Richard, thank you so much for coming back on the show. That was fantastic.
Speaker 5: No, it's my pleasure, thank you.
Speaker 3: That was our conversation with Richard Abu Lafi about the extraordinary success of embra Airbud. We want to understand more about where this company came from and the sort of political and economic environment in Brazil out from which it emerged. So we're going to be speaking with Juan David Rojas. He is a calumnist on Latam issues at Compact Magazine as well as a contributor to American Affairs. So Wan, thank you so much for coming on the podcast.
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me on big fan of the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. So we had the conversation with Richard, we sort of got a rough outline of the history of embra a is founded in Brazil in nineteen sixty nine, what was going on in Brazil economically or politically, and maybe perhaps even across Latam such that the country felt it necessary to have some sort of homegrown aviation company.
Speaker 4: So between the nineteen thirties and the nineteen eighties or so, in Brazil and across most of Latin America, but in Brazil, starting with the government of Jiduliu Ovodagas, you had consecutive administrations from across the ideological spectrum, both democratic and authoritarian.
Speaker 6: Marcus is actually a great figure to look into there.
Speaker 4: But it promoted what were called ISI policies, import substitution, industrialization, and in a nutshell, what that means is they used protectionist measures, tear subsidies alike to both block the import of industrial goods and foster the development of those same products domestically. And this is actually what we've seen Brazil do just weeks ago, along with a number of other countries Mexico, the EU US raising tariffs against Chinese evs and solar panels. So the idea is that, you know, we want to develop our own EV industry. We can't compete with China as such right now. We don't want to import their goods. Now in Latin America is SI policies get a bit of a bad rap with some good reason, but they really shouldn't. Why today in Brazil, of its twenty largest companies, half either were now or at one point worse they don't. These are you know, Petrobras, Volley, CSN, electro Bras, and of course Embiety. In each of these cases, it took decades and loads of failures before any of these companies became profitable. That's just industrial policy, one on one. Depending on the industry in question, there's learning curves where failure necessarily contributes to long term success. And what's said is that around the time that Embiet was created, right in the middle of the ISI period, Brazil was something of an industrial powerhouse in the.
Speaker 6: Region, specifically in auto manufacturing.
Speaker 4: Again, a lot of these companies weren't necessarily profitable and there were ambiguous failures which as in like nuclear power and computers in Brazil, for example, but they were high value sectors that contributed to huge gains both in productivity and GDP growth. For perspective, average GDP growth in Brazil during the ISI period was around five percent a year, and since the eighties nineties it's been around two percent, with productivity being stagnant.
Speaker 6: And you know, this makes a.
Speaker 4: Lot of sense because what we've seen since the nineties is that Brazil's economy has really transitioned towards mining and agriculture versus manufacturing, which manufacturing inherently is more beneficial towards productivity growth.
Speaker 6: You know, starting in the.
Speaker 4: Nineties, industrial policy became kind of a bio word for cronyism and an efficiency, and you haven't really seen efforts in Brazil to develop high value sectors and new industries where economies of scale are important, like aviation of the companies I mentioned. You know, this makes sense. What were these you know, Petrobrass, Pally, et cetera. They're all in minding hydrocarbons. Ironically, still thanks to past industrial policy, which isn't to say that privatization some of these cases was useful, but Ambia it really is the outlier here and that it's an aviation manufacturing.
Speaker 2: From So can I ask you to dive a little bit more into the political atmosphere when Embrer was created, because my understanding is that, okay, it had some roots in the nineteen forties and the nineteen fifties, but it wasn't until nineteen sixty nine, as Joe mentioned, that it was really crystallized into a company. And of course, Brazil in nineteen sixty nine was undergoing a lot of political change, and sometimes when people talk about industrial policy, there is an implication or a connotation that in order to have very fast industrial development sometimes you need a command economy or a dictatorship of some sort, and that was sort of my understanding is that was kind of the background in nineteen sixty nine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's exactly right. It's a really interesting point. There was a twenty year military dictatorship in Brazil. Took power in nineteen sixty four, left power in nineteen eighty five. They actually created Embrae because in the decades up to that point, the past governments tried to promote aviation solely in the private sector and it.
Speaker 6: Didn't really work.
Speaker 4: Actually, interestingly, from the beginning, MBRAAD was a mixed private public enterprise with the government holding only a fifty one percent stake. And Brazil's military dictatorship was also interesting in that, unlike Pinochet's dictatorship, were the last military dictatorship in Argentina, they had more of a developmentalist but whereas you know, the ideas of the Chicago Boys were more prominent in Argentina during the seventies and eighties and Chile as well. But importantly with mbraet and Aviation, as Brazil, there was a concerted and consistent and effort over decades to really develop the company and aviation. Richard mentioned the CTA, and I want to say a little bit on that they did this right and that they laid the groundwork through the CTA and all THEA in the translation it's like Technical Aerospace Center and it was modeled after Yeah, they was modeled after MIT. They actually brought an MIT professor, Richard Smith, and they developed all of these research institutes that would focus on developing different designs for different planes and the like. It actually produced one of EMBI had's founders and longtime CEO, z D Silva. And this is a guy, yeah, I want to mention because he's just incredible. He was both a pilot and an aerospace engineer. He actually worked on the prototype for the Bunday Nunchi, which was EMBI had flagship program since its inception.
Speaker 6: Actually funny story.
Speaker 4: He left after like eighty six and then came back once the company was privatized. But he was flying a Shinghu which was actually a jet that unfortunately failed. But he was on his way back from Brazilia with President Samne to Sojous campus and he reportedly was one of the first people to see Brazil's nineteen eighty six UFO incident. There were like twenty like flashing lights all around so Jose campus and it's famous in UFO lore.
Speaker 6: But it's just kind of funny. He was one of the first people to see it.
Speaker 3: I'd never heard the nineteen eighty six Brazilian UFO incident. May nineteen eighties series of radar and visual contexts.
Speaker 2: This is going to establish a new precedent of all all thoughts. Guests must come prepared with one piece of uf UFO r Yes.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's crazy. Yeah, it really happened. Huh okay, I'm a believe that. Just to stay on the politics, the military dictatorships are not that uncommon from time to time around the world, particularly not that uncommon at various times in the twentieth century in Latin America. But I hadn't really thought about that that you do get sort of different flavors of them from an ideological perspective. So it's interesting, as you say, Chile sort of famously bringing in people to give advice from the University of Chicago. Somewhat infamously, I suppose, but it's interesting as you see your point, maybe you can expand on that that the Brazilian one had a very different attitude towards domestic economic development.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I'll step back a second.
Speaker 4: If we think about all the countries in Latin America where a company like embiad would really succeed, it makes a lot of sense that Brazil would be it. It's a massive country with multiple major cities far apart, making aviation critical for both national security and commercial purposes. On the latter that benefits from economies of scale. We're given that Brazil has a large domestic market. There's a lot of mo parts here, but really the intermingling, and you could say this about a lot of other similar companies around the world. The intermingling between the military and commercial divisions of the company, particularly in Biet's case where exports became prominent, was critical. You know, you think about it, you need the military as a source of stable demand, given that business cycles and aviation can be really volatile and revenue tends to be limited, especially in a country like Brazil. On the other hand, the potential for waste as a monopoly or oligopolistic firm, depending on the state military lends itself to the classic problem of protectionism. At one point, the military insisted that all public sector planes had to be purchased from MBIET and that all travels should take place on those planes. And crucially, after sixty four, the US imposed restrictions on military aid and weapons sales in a similar way now to Russia, to force them to rely on their own domestic industry. But the way you mitigate that potential for croniism and the like is by gearing your commercial operation towards exports and foreign markets, particularly if you can find a niche, which is something you guys.
Speaker 6: Talk with Richard about.
Speaker 2: I hadn't realized that, but it actually it makes a lot of sense. The idea that Brazil is a very large country with a lot of remote areas, and so it really needs aircraft in many ways. But I guess one thing I'm kind of curious about is when Brazil was developing Emberer, what was the argument for comparative advantage if there was one, Like, was there a moment in time when people said, like, Okay, we need aircraft and we can develop them in house. And lots of countries are developing their own national aerospace companies at that time, But was there a moment where they said and will be better at it than other people.
Speaker 4: That's a really interesting question, and it goes back to that point on finding the correct niche. It's important to keep in mind that Mbiada came onto the scene very late in the history of aviation. At this point, Argentina's FMA, for example, was way ahead of MBI had to say nothing of peers and developed countries. Very astutely, the leadership of the company looked at the global landscape and said, you know what, there's no way we can compete with what's coming out of Europe. In the US, is there a place where we can specialize and so lo and behold By the early seventies, they.
Speaker 6: Produced the Ipanima and Shamanchi.
Speaker 4: The first one was a small agricultural spray plane and the second a small jet fighter that was designed by one of the CTA's research institutes. Then in seventy three they unveiled the bund Nuncia, a nineteen seat turboprop plane with around five hundred models sold mostly to the Brazilian military. And almost immediately after this the firm made this strategic decision of orienting itself towards exports and engaging with partnerships with foreign peers. When you talk about like developmentalism in Latin America, you often see the region compared to the Asian tigers, where the explanation will be the ISI policies worked in you know, like Taiwan, South Korea, et cetera, because they geared their industries towards explorts rather than just the internal market, which was more prominent in most Latin American countries and with most firms.
Speaker 3: So you mentioned that by the time Embrer came into existence, Argentina already had an aviation company FMA, which I'm just looking at Wikipedia right now apparently was founded in nineteen twenty seven, which seems but maybe.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, right around the time. Actually, so what happened?
Speaker 3: Can you maybe give us the short compare and contrast version of why regional carriers in the US are not flying on little planes made by FMA.
Speaker 6: There's a lot more history than you know.
Speaker 4: Embrad went through a lot and saw are of failures, but you know, you compare it to FMA and it's just night and day. Why And it's sad because the FM had that advantage they started so many decades earlier.
Speaker 6: And this is to give you an idea.
Speaker 4: It was first created I think in twenty seven by secret decree and as a result of you can believe this, there are no audits or financial records from the Argentine government. And you know, another factor that's important too is the fact that Brazil, you know, they had this twenty year military dictatorship, but comparatively, there was a lot more stability. That military dictatorship lasted a lot longer, and there was continuity between these dictatorial and democratic governments. In Argentina during the twentieth century, there were like I think something like thirty something coups, and they had this effort during and after the Second World War in Argentina. You know, bet On famously took in a lot of Germans from Nazi Germany and apparently.
Speaker 6: They didn't jive well with the Argentines.
Speaker 4: I have a few good data points on here that in just five years fifty five and sixty they went through nine different directors with a maximum term of twenty three months, and it was just extremely volatile.
Speaker 6: It was just a complete disaster.
Speaker 4: And then, but I add the difference was that they really specialized in going after these small and later regional jets.
Speaker 6: That then the regional ones took off in.
Speaker 4: The nineties after the company privatized, and they ended up privatizing FMA also in the nineties, and that was a complete disaster. Is run by Lockheed and they promised to like not layoff with some of the workers and made other promises, broke all of them. But the Argentine states still look the other way.
Speaker 2: Going back to mbreer, can you talk to us about I guess its role in the overall Brazilian economy, because this is something I was thinking about. We did that episode with Ricardo Houseman where he was talking about.
Speaker 3: That episode is very much in the background of my mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he was talking about, you know this idea that once a country develops one industry, it sort of leads to other industries where there are synergies or where that technological knowledge can be built upon. So I'm curious, like, were there other trees that Mbreer actually led to within the Brazilian economy.
Speaker 4: The military industrial sector had a number of different firms and actually, when that comes to mind right now, unfortunately because it runs the risk of being acquired by a foreign company, AVI Bras, which specialized and make a number of military hardware, and the CTA it was based out of, so Jouzebu's comp was in the state of sal Pablo is kind of known as Brazil's silicon valley, and that actually turned into this huge industrial hub. I believe Lula actually worked out of there when he was a union leader for the Brazil's Metallurgy Union. And I had as a pretty small company. It's worth only about what like five billion dollars. And unfortunately, what we saw after the nineties is that a lot of Brazil's industry in manufacturing really collapsed because of the fact that they liberalized trade and privatized a lot of these companies. Some of them did better, like Petrobras and Voley, for instance, but a lot of the indigenous auto manufacturing firms basically collapsed overnight, unfortunately.
Speaker 3: So this touches on a couple of things what I was going to ask next, But in your view, I mean, the whole reason we're interested in Amber Air in the first place is because two things, right. The first is it's really hard to make a plane, period, and we see that in the US, and we see that in China, and I guess Europe seems to be doing fine with making planes at Airbus, but objectively speaking, building a reliable commercial plane is really difficult, so that's very unlikely. And then b there are just not many advanced manufacturing success stories in Latin America period, which sort of touches on the question that Tracy just asked about. So part of the question here is like what happened such that A Like, how is there this one company that managed to overcome two very unlikely things happening? And b is it just a matter of premature liberalization? And your viewer like, what are the factors that cause that there aren't more Embra airrors? You know, why isn't there a Brazilian byd or whatever it is.
Speaker 6: As far as why am but I had succeeded, a lot of it is luck.
Speaker 4: A lot of it is just smart investments, really good competence and cultivating talent for this company. But as far as why there isn't a Brazilian bid, you know, there's this automaker in Brazil, Bouguel. Its president was known as the Brazilian Henry Ford. And to be honest, most of the cars that this company made weren't great, but a lot of them had potential.
Speaker 6: They were actually.
Speaker 4: Making evs during the seventies and eighties. They were these small little cars, and the jeeps that they made were pretty good. Unfortunately, after they removed tariffs and allowed competition with imports in the nineties, the company went bankrupt in nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 6: And we talk about premature liberalization.
Speaker 4: It's interesting because what I would argue with the company like that is that you don't want to just prop up these companies unnecessarily, especially if they're not giving results. But if there's potential there, things maybe would have been different. If, let's say, policymakers have said, you know what, we don't want you to fail, but we want to see results, you need to gear your operation towards exports, and we're going to condition a lot of our support on increasing production, et cetera.
Speaker 2: What's the new industrial policy in Brazil? I keep hearing about that, and I guess the big question is when you say new industrial policy, how does that differ from the old industrial policy?
Speaker 4: Lula, I believe it was earlier this year unveiled what he called his new Industrial Plan. I think it is where I forget exactly the figure, including you know, a bunch of subsidies, local content requirements, credit lines in order to attract investments, specifically in manufacturing. And actually the results so far are pretty good. The landis buyd great Wall Motors. A number of key firms have opened up plants in Brazil and the idea is to be able to benefit from that technology transfer.
Speaker 6: And it's you know, it's just it's one thing just.
Speaker 4: If foreign multinationals are opening up plants in your country. Another is that you can really actually learn from them and then create your own firms.
Speaker 3: There's been plants in Mexico for a long time, US automaker plants, but Mexico does not have as far as I know, a rising domestic auto industry of its own. What are the barriers? Why is it that in some cases it's in theory that works. You have some foreign automakers like Ford set up a plant, and then there's no how, and then there's domestic building and there's rising the value chain, and then sometimes you're still just basically capturing only a modest share of value as a place for and finishing, and it doesn't spread out.
Speaker 4: Mexico is really today one of the few put countries in Latin America that has a really robust manufacturing sector. But as you stated, it's all really just assembly. They just import inputs from abroad, assemble these finished goods and send them to the US. And this is actually how a lot of the Asian tigers started out Taiwan and Singapore, et cetera. They started out assembling these goods and then exporting them. But they eventually graduated such the point where you know, they developed companies like Samsung, TSMC the like. And exactly why that hasn't happened in Mexico, for instance, in other Latin American countries, it's hard to say. I think we could chalk it up to an extent to a lack of imagination honestly.
Speaker 2: So on that note, I mean, I know your expertise is Latin America, but do you think nowadays you could have a repeat of an Embraer in the sense that you could have, you know, a homegrown high tech industry despite the idea that there are all these you know, quite high barriers to entry, especially for something as complex as building aircraft.
Speaker 4: That's a tough question because if it were to happen, it would take deck and it would take decades for us to see a firm that's really successful. I meant to get into this, EMBI had was really in crisis mode during much of the eighties and early nineties. Why during the seventies, Brazil saw this huge boom upwards of like ten percent growth each year, and they were investing in all of these manufacturing companies, but a lot of that was financed with external debt. You get to seventy nine, I believe in mister Volker, and the Federal Reserve starts massively raising interest rates. This causes a huge crisis in Brazil that causes the country's debt to explode and similarly affected a lot of other countries in Latin America. You guys might have heard the term the last decade for to the nineteen eighties. Interestingly, actually in Brazil up until like eighty five, the military their view was that they could pay down some of their debt by promoting exports, and they ran these huge surflas. Since then after eighty five they started more of an austerity regime. There was also a slump in the early nineties because of the golf War, but the company was given like a half a billion dollar rescue package. But when it was finally privatized, it actually had to be put up for auction like five times because it was viewed as so undesirable.
Speaker 3: So that's interesting, the vulgar shock sort of clobbering the economies of countries that had gone into debt to do domestic investment. You mentioned the golf war downturn, which I hadn't thought about. But after the military dictatorship ended after twenty years and then the company went private, Like, what was the sort of policy stance of the government at that time. Was it a sort of sort of classic Washington consensus pursue that kind of liberalism? Like what was the environment the domestic policy environment during that sort of those rough years in the eighties and nineties.
Speaker 6: You know, I think you I could say it's a bit of both.
Speaker 4: The key thing is that when the company was privatized, the government kept what's called the golden share, giving them, you know, veto power over changes in ownership and really strategic decisions with regards to.
Speaker 6: The running of the company.
Speaker 4: And it's really because of this golden share that the company is still a Brazilian company. Avibas actually, which I mentioned before, was completely privatized. The government kept zero ownership, and it's because of that that it runs the risk now of being sold off and no longer being Brazilian. They had this pre privatization venture into I think it was the erj that really took off after privatization. There's all these interests in regional jets.
Speaker 6: But on the one hand, there was a more lase a fair approach.
Speaker 4: But you know, because aviation manufacturers it is really necessary to have support from the government.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know, Boeing and the like their government contractors.
Speaker 4: The support that I had received from the Brazilian state was similar to its more developed peers.
Speaker 6: You know, they're still subsidized and the.
Speaker 3: Like one David Rojas, thank you so much for coming out odd luck.
Speaker 6: That was great. Thanks to ton guys.
Speaker 3: Tracy. I'm really glad we finally did an EMBRA air episode. I think my big takeaway is it's really hard to make an airplane, and you also just need a lot of luck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny you say that. I was about to say the exact same thing, like there's a tendency to think like, oh, they must have done all the right things, or there's some sort of like insight that you can pull out of this one specific example. But it seems in some respects like, yeah, they got lucky. They made some good decisions, they had some good management. I guess the one thing that they did was identify that niche right. And the other thing I was thinking about is actually Quan hit upon it really well in that second part where he was talking about how the geography of Brazil kind of lent itself to the need for aircraft, and I guess within that you would want lots of regional or smaller jets because you're going to more remote locations and probably not you know, big metropolitan centers all the time, and so in some respects it kind of lent itself to that regional jet or business jet idea totally.
Speaker 3: It dovetails with the point Richard made to that one of the preconditions for establishing any sort of aviation company at scale is that really excellent customer support or customer service network. And so you think, like, well, one reason why Brazil and not any other country in Latin America is just by luck, I guess, the sheer size and the sheer necessity of having to build out all that stuff at scale just to even serve the domestic market.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. The other thing that I think is interesting is that idea of like synergistic economic development. And I guess we shouldn't make this a three parter, but maybe we need to get Houseman on to explain why Amber didn't like lead to a bunch of other synergistic businesses in Brazil.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: You'd think it would, because you know there's like, are there certain component manufacturers that could then sell into others exactly right, all these different things or engines that go into a jet that can be modified for engines for results.
Speaker 2: So if you're doing it for nationalistic reasons, at least initially, you would think that security would be a factor here. That you wouldn't necessarily want to rely on imports for some of those like vital components, and yet that seems to be the case here.
Speaker 1: So I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I don't know. It's very interesting story, it is, I think to you as you sort of there's like it's a little unsatisfying, only in this sense that we can't look to ember Air and say like, oh, that's how it's done, because what you want is you want to see like, oh, this is you know, I feel like when we talk about East Asian manufacturing success stories, that blueprint, at least on paper, looks a little bit clearer, right. It's like, yeah, you do final assembly first, and then you do this, and then you set a series.
Speaker 2: Of it's like a natural progression, and you set.
Speaker 3: These export targets, and then the companies that hit the export targets are presumed to be making something good because they've satisfied the export test, and then you give them more, et cetera. But at least in Embraer's situation, there aren't enough other examples of such a thing, although obviously the export discipline was part of it, where you could say, okay, now let's repeat this over and over again, but still very fascinating.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I'm glad we did it.
Speaker 3: I'm glad.
Speaker 2: I still have questions, so maybe this will become like a multi part series.
Speaker 3: It also, I mean it is. The Houseman episode just sort of looms in my mind. Yeah, the whole conversation because it's like, oh, yeah, you did it once, why can't you do more? Or why can't Mexico then do more? Given the long standing existence of final assembly plans. I don't know. I guess if it were easy, every country would be rich by.
Speaker 2: Now you know what we should do?
Speaker 1: Joe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, every time we talk about that Ricardo Houseman episode, I get that vision of like monkeys keeping from tree to tree. We should write a children's song about economic development, monkeys and industrial policy or something.
Speaker 3: I'm seeing a children's book.
Speaker 2: Ooh, a children's book.
Speaker 6: I like that.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, let's leave it there.
Speaker 3: Let's leave it there.
Speaker 2: This has been another episode of the All Thoughts Podcast. I'm Tracy Alloway. You can follow me at Tracy Alloway and.
Speaker 3: I'm Joe Wisenthal. You can follow me at The Stalwart. Follow Juan David Rojas. He's Rojas r Wan d Follow Richard albu Lafia's firm Aerodynamic Advisory Aerodynamic ad Follow our producers Carmen Rodriguez at Carmen armand dash Ol Bennett add Dashbod and Kilbrooks at Kilbrooks. And thank you to our producer Moses Ondam. For more Oddlots content, go to Bloomberg dot com slash odd Lots, where of transcripts, a blog, and a newsletter that Tracy and I write every Friday. Go sign up. And if you'd like to talk about all of these topics with fellow listeners, you can check out our discord Discord dot gg slash od Lots.
Speaker 2: And if you enjoy odd Lots, if you like it when we do corporate case studies like EMBRER, then please leave us a positive review on your favorite podcast platform. And remember, if you are a Bloomberg subscriber, you can listen to all of our episodes absolutely ad free. All you need to do is connect your Bloomberg account with Apple Podcasts. In order to do that, just find the Bloomberg channel on the platform and then follow the instructions there. Thanks for listening
Speaker 6: In in