Speaker 1: Yeah, y'all you already know what it is.
Speaker 2: Back with another exclusive yours truly M Greasey myth bleak here with Rock Solid Podcast Live at the Vote, And this one is a real special special ed this year episode for me for y'all, I got one of my guys, my brother. It's a Rockefeller affiliate. My first record I ever recorded without Jay being in the studio with me. He gave me the opportunity with thugdout Ship. Were gonna get into all that. It's my guy. Let's welcome clue to the motherfucking building. Hell yeah, man, same grind, different time. What's up man, working man, you know, get into it. Word up long time, yo. Before we get into the history. I always wanted to say to you, yo, I thank you number one because Dug daun Ship was the first record without the tutelage, like I felt like it's all right coming to age. No nigga still had the training wheels on, you know what I'm saying. When I went to the studio with you in Durow, it was just us, you know what I'm saying, And I appreciate that opportunity. Then we turned around your highway robbed me for mine right how.
Speaker 1: How I don't even know it? Just that was that was a that was a Dame dash jay Z.
Speaker 2: You can't even put the when you search my right on on Memphis Bleek, my catalog on any platform, it just come up the remix.
Speaker 1: To get the original, you have to put DJ klu Man crazy crazy. You ain't even know that, yo?
Speaker 2: What but two of my biggest records man, and I appreciate that. Bro, like your platform. You helped a lot of niggas out and I want to say thank you. None of these other artists have said thank you.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But Yo, let's go back. I want to know you know, like I said, I'm a fan, bro. First take me back the Queens man, like, what made what was this spot that made you like?
Speaker 1: Fuck it? I'm a DJ nigga, I could do this ship.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Well, first I was rapping a little bit. First, you know what I'm saying, what was just MC drama.
Speaker 2: Yo, l DJ dramas all versus let's go you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: That was it?
Speaker 3: And then from there like my uncle my uncle and then used to always DJ like when I was like super small around the house. They used to have like house parties and shit. That's when niggas had the house and ship. So my uncle used to DJ. So I seen that from an early age. And then when I started first like kind of like driving when I was driving when I was young. You know when people think I'm lying when I said I was driving when I was nine anything, I'm lying, bro Ya.
Speaker 2: I was still in the card nine, Oh I stealing cards at now?
Speaker 1: No, I was still in my parents' card.
Speaker 2: Not even better. You wasn't going to jail, you know what I'm saying now, that's dope. So when I was driving, I used to always want music and shit. So I used to go to Jamaica AV and get mixtastes. But it always used to be like a couple joints in there.
Speaker 3: I liked, and I was like, Yo, if I do my own tape, it's gonna be lit, you know what. So I started walking around with the mixtape, shit and shit. The rest is history. Like you changed the game with the mixtapes. Man, like in the early days New York sing like the music sing back then.
Speaker 1: You know, I got in in the late nineties.
Speaker 2: You got in the early night right, you know what I'm saying, So what was the music sing like then for you?
Speaker 3: I mean, listen, that's when like and no point intended. That's when I feel like the music was coming of age, you know what I'm saying. So it's like hip hop started getting played on the radio, you know, all the time, because it wasn't like that before.
Speaker 1: Like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Like, so when hip hop was getting you know, more popular and more lit.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, it was fire. That's a fact. You remember.
Speaker 2: Was it the first tape or moment party or anything when you was like, oh, ship, like my name, they know me now?
Speaker 1: In the city.
Speaker 3: I dropped the mixtape with this is when I was going to school. I was going to school in downtown Brooklyn at the time. I was going to New York Tech. Oh to New York Tech.
Speaker 2: So it had you trooping it and with the goons. That was decepts. Yeah, I was about to say dodging the deces. Yeah, that was decept.
Speaker 3: I think the train sometimes I had to learn the hallway to the trains out the way to go word, you know what I'm saying. I watched I watched a whole and I don't know why they skipped me. But I watched a whole train of people get robbed. They robbed everyone in the car.
Speaker 1: Sato.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you it used to be like that, especially the last car of the train. You had to be you had to be certified to ride the last car. Any train that a train train f L one two four didn't maz, Yeah, you better be certified. I remember when I felt that s train. I thought I found something no one knew about. The shuttle. That ship took you straight the Prospect Park. I was like, oh, this is lit the little shuttle word. So yeah, like I said, like was it the moment, Like it was like.
Speaker 3: Oh so yeah, Like I was saying, I went to uh to B Street on on on Fulton and I had on my mixtape. I had the this and this is when Wu Tang was on fire. I had the Method Man remix to h All I Need, and I had a live nigga rat with Nads and Mob Deep. So like this is when you know you couldn't even download music.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, this is exclusive.
Speaker 3: So I bought a couple mix taps in there and they sold out man quick because I put them on their consignmentcause they don't really know me in Brooklyn yet.
Speaker 1: Yo, I'm like, yes, sold out ready.
Speaker 3: So that happened for like two weeks straight, Like I just kept selling more amals, so I had to keep giving them more mixtapes.
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 2: They had stores in the Bronx any Queens so that so that's how the ripple effect happened. Like is it true because they say, you know, it's always been rumors. You know, New York City were the city of rumors. Baby, there's a lot of ship you hear. I want to know is it true they said you the first mixtape DJ to put an m in the crib or for mixtape.
Speaker 1: Is that true?
Speaker 3: At the end of the day, I don't know how much it was. I mean, it was a lot. It was, it was it was definitely. It was definitely saves full of money for sure.
Speaker 2: That's like niggas was singing blocks of bricks and a block and it was just mixtape game. My question I wanted to always ask, like was it ever a struggle to get music from labels.
Speaker 1: The artist?
Speaker 3: I mean, the labels used to give me music, the artists used to give me music. And then you know what I'm saying, Like you know, people used to just have like you know, exclusives name just give them to me.
Speaker 1: That's a fact.
Speaker 3: You always always I used to your clue go to the studio, steal, never stole on life.
Speaker 2: I was gonna ask you that, did you have ever had to take a record out of the stew because I remember when when the clue tapes when Bro, when I got in the music game, niggas knew if you wasn't one through ten, it was.
Speaker 1: A problem, Like that's that that meant that if you was number one.
Speaker 2: First of all, I think Jada kiss in the locks, they had to pay for that slot every clue tape them niggas is number one or number two, like how even though they was murdering. Yeah, I mean I was. I was mad that it's a right had it's all right. Had to really started on the on the B side of the tape because the tape was really already done and it was the only place I could actually put it on the tape.
Speaker 1: So what happened was earth God. He calls me.
Speaker 3: And I'm telling him, He's like, yo, when you're doing your tape. I'm like, yo, I'm really done. Like what you got He's like y'all got this this j record I need to put on there. You know what I'm saying. So I was like yo, I was like, so he like came and met me in the snowstorm Rest Peace Earth got Rest of Peace, got it, came in me a snowstorm and gave me a joint. And I had to like figure out and this is you know, you recording on on on that's so you had to figure out how to spice the.
Speaker 1: Song on it feel me?
Speaker 3: So I had to I had to figure out a place where I could actually add the song.
Speaker 1: I remember you probably don't remember this. I'm breaking back in the day.
Speaker 2: This might have been Jay and Source Money first freestyle on your mixtape.
Speaker 1: Oh you're not I remember that for sure. You remember me being in the studio that day. Nah, I don't see.
Speaker 2: I was just when Jay is Sauce rap he was. Remember we was in the studio on Queen somewhere.
Speaker 1: Now in the city.
Speaker 2: I was a young nigga in there and Jay and Sauce murdered the record and Jay was like, go ahead, bleak, I know you got something for it. And I'm looking I'm looking at that clue. I'm just thinking of the impact, and I'm like, the.
Speaker 3: Crazy part is I had to because I was I was recording the Locks freestyle for Chess. For Chess, Jay was shooting the video with Foxy. I think it was for our b so he had so I had to stop the Lock session and quickly have J and sau record. They parted, so the Locks were still writing at the time, so they were still so I just gave him.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know they was in the studio there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Sauce and J murdered this shit so crazy the way I'm looking at Jay like, nah, I'm not rapping on that fucked no. And then I remember when the tape dropped and niggas in the hood was blasting that record and I'm sitting there like I had.
Speaker 1: The opportunity to be on Yo. Bro.
Speaker 2: That day fueled me to be like, Yo, I'm never missing an opportunity like that again. I was a little nervous because that's that's the presence you held in the street in New York, Bro, Like your tape was like these young boys probably you know, to them now today, that's probably what DJ Khalien getting on the DJ Khalier album to them probably feel like if Kali called me for a verse, yo, I'm that Nigga.
Speaker 1: I made it. You know what I'm saying, Bro, you was equivalent to.
Speaker 2: That's like Hove and Drake hit you and be like, Yo, we just recorded a record, but we need you. On the third verse, you like Nigga, of course I got it. That's what a clue tape was in New York. Sure, Like so I was nervous, like, fuck, no, I ain't ready. I gotta go back and study some more. So did you ever feel like it was a time when you just knew, man, I run this shit.
Speaker 1: They I mean, the demand was so crazy man.
Speaker 3: So it's you know what I'm saying, Like when I was dropping, if I felt like everybody would stop what they're doing and just thrown in, like you know what I mean, Because especially if you're dropping on like a Friday night, like everyone's sharing it, go out and hopping their cars like they wanted that.
Speaker 1: They wanted that clue take for sure?
Speaker 2: Do you I feel like they don't give you the credit for the album rollouts now today? You like you changed the game with the way to make the Like you said, if you dropped on that Friday, you had a problem.
Speaker 1: When that Clue tape dropped.
Speaker 2: Now, for sure, I feel like labels started catering to how you used to roll your tapes.
Speaker 3: Out because now because albums really used to drop on Tuesdays. You know what I'm saying, I dropped. I made sure I dropped on Fridays when.
Speaker 2: We give everybody the week in the wild out, all the cookouts, pool parties, everything the clubs is rocking Tuesday, you still got work school.
Speaker 1: Nigga can't really dose that now.
Speaker 2: Niggas, don't you know they could dose music whenever, But back then you had to.
Speaker 1: It was a schedule for that radio. No, yeah, not for sure. So you have to be in tune and shit, man.
Speaker 3: So it's a blessing man to even be able to, you know, still be in a game doing what I do at the love I do with that, you know what I'm saying. So still doing records, still doing radio, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So just blessed.
Speaker 2: It's a blessing, yo. Niggas don't know. I was there when you said I just deal with Jay and Dame too, y'all. Niggas did that ship in the middle of the street like a drug yeah. Yeah, biggas pulled up in the middle of the street like a drug deal talking between the cars and Jay, I remember Day was saying, made you go roll with us or what It was like, Nah, man, I'm family, I'm with y'all. Jay was like, they let me got this sign because because that was that was the whole the whole situation with because Sony was trying to Sony and Steezed Out was trying to match the deal.
Speaker 3: So so Dame and Jay and Big japt pissed. They came off. Yeah, this is before they was cool. They was and they was like, yo, now he's signing with us because they because at the time I think they was giving me like fifty thousand more to sign to Sony. But I was like, I was listen, I'm a man of my word. So I told them, I'm like, listen, I'm honored, I'm honored. It ain't really about the money, you know what I'm saying, I'm honor a man of my word. If y'all, if y'all niggas is serious, because I felt like it was in limbo for a little minute, you know what I'm saying. I was like, if I seriou if you're serious, I'm If not, I'm doing this other deal. So y'all let me know that was my neck.
Speaker 2: Did you feel like you had grew to a point where you had to become bigger than mixtapes? You wanted to take it to the mainstream now for sure, because like you know, it's like being an artist or being a creator. It's like you have a like a bucket list.
Speaker 3: So it's like, you know what I'm saying, it's like your mixtapes and now you know you want to be on the radio, then you want to do that, you know what I'm saying. So it's like you want to you want to level up. You don't want to stay the same.
Speaker 1: So it's like, you know what I mean, that's a fact.
Speaker 2: So like then you crossed over, like you you dropped the albums my g I like I said, that first album, The Professional, I got the plaque in my crib tails to this day, that's one of my first plaques that reasonable doubt coming to age them three plaques in the crib and never going nowhere, because those are the ones that did it for me. So like but then after that, bro, you went to radio, and then like I feel like your era, that time when you was on Hot ninety seven. That was the best time and music era of New York City that we have. I mean, the Monday Night mixtape was legendary, That's what I'm saying. People come up the free style like it was really like it was really like a mixtape show but on the radio. So like every every Monday Night from ten to twelve, everybody, the whole city was tuned in.
Speaker 3: See who's going to freestyle? See what exlusive records I had, you know what I'm saying. So it was it was a time man, for sure.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: And like, Yo, I was just telling because my dog, you know, we when I told him I'm interviewing you, he was like, Yo, you're gonna bring up the backstage And I'm like what you mean?
Speaker 1: He's like you and him at Beans, And I'm like, Yo, you know what's crazy?
Speaker 2: You see how perception is in the world, bro that people think Beans ran down on you. Niggas don't even know that it's the whole accident. Like yeah, the crazy part. Crazy part is it was, like you know what I'm saying. First of all, we was all drinking, was all crazy, and we was backstage slack boxing books. Yeah, and we was playing and that's how that shop. And I told my man. He like, yo, Bleak, you lying thought niggas ran down no clue, like you know, you know, the crazy part is the crazy party.
Speaker 3: Someone said that, Bleak said, damn. Someone said that, Bleak said, I pulled a weapon out on Beans and something like that.
Speaker 2: Oh no, that's what someone said. I was like, what I said, you pulled the web. Don'try no weapon.
Speaker 1: My nigga.
Speaker 3: I mean, I do care weapons now, but legally talk that smoke. Who want that smoke?
Speaker 1: Pull it out, y'all ain't that but.
Speaker 2: Nah? But people were saying that, I'm like, you pulled out a weapon on him. No, it wasn't no weapon. I think what it was you had the black jack ship had black and Beans with you. Was like, yo, nigga, front on me in the club, I'm gonna hit him in his head beams, like, man, that ship don't work.
Speaker 1: And you're like what Rember Beans was like, watch.
Speaker 2: This happened the show. I'm gonna show you how, nigger. And remember we was playing, so not like you pulled out a weapon on Beans and he went that it was a whole member.
Speaker 1: That tour was the illest toll of life for me.
Speaker 2: Bro, Like that's crazy, Like we had battles thing we was kidnapped rough ride of niggas they was kidnapping.
Speaker 3: That's that's when Recipe DMX DMX would come in the venue like before sound like during sound check and he was coming in with the pippoles crazy. He would release the pipulls off their leashes and everybody would.
Speaker 1: Running their room like Yo, niggas bugging.
Speaker 2: Bugging niggas, Like Yo, we gotta get them niggas back. We gonna kidnap one of them niggas. We had paintball competition like that was ill And like I said, it was a lot of misconscrewed misconceptions on that tape because niggas thought Dang was barking or Lindy on the bus go by crazy. A lot of ship on that tape. Boy, But what was that like for you? Like, have you been on tour before before?
Speaker 1: Back?
Speaker 3: Say, nah, that was my first time. I was crazy, So that was all not for that was that was my first tour. On my last tour, I mean, like the only either tour went on. I did Mariah carry tour I did, but I did, like, I only wanted to do the major city certain cities, you know what I'm saying. So the other ones I had, that's when I had put That's how such one actually got with Mariots. I put him on the tour because I had you know, I had radio and I had other stuff I was doing, So I put him on the tour when I wasn't there, he would be.
Speaker 1: He's right in my place, you know what I'm saying, So shout out. That's the fan.
Speaker 2: Like, let's talk about my guy Fab too, man, because not for sure, you don't. I feel like people look at you as a DJ, mixtape DJ, but they forget to give you your credit for producing because you put out a lot of smoke in this in.
Speaker 1: This for you got a lot of records out there, for sure.
Speaker 2: And then come on, man, you got one of the most lirical artists out of New York City and then that had thirty forty.
Speaker 1: Years bro, Like, Fab is a problem, you know what I'm saying, And he's saying.
Speaker 2: For y'all both to still be at the top of your y'all y'all class right now is a test of time and respect, like you got to show you like, you know what I mean? So what was that like for you? Looking at Fab back then as a young nigga from Brooklyn? Did you see all of this happening?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: I know he had what it took because I mean obviously I seen and how all these other niggas was getting signed off from being on the mixtapes. You know what I'm saying, Like the first person, the first place they heard, like Joel's and you know Jim, Like Jim came in with records and he was like, Yo, I'm trying to do my own thing, Like you know what I'm saying, Like, but whatever, he and he had his records.
Speaker 1: He had Joel's records. You know what I'm saying. I've seen them blow up.
Speaker 3: I mean, don Pooh put Foxy on on on the mixtapes before people knew, Like I remember Earth and defroent Rough Riders, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Called me.
Speaker 3: I was like, Yo, was like, yo, I got this artist, you know DMX, he come home like two three weeks.
Speaker 1: I want to put them on. I want to do a freestyle, put them on a mixtape.
Speaker 3: So I spoke that I actually spoke the DMX when he was in jail, Like he's like, yo, Yo, want to come home.
Speaker 1: But I was like, all right, fucking let's get it. So so we did the.
Speaker 3: So when he came home, we did to get at Me Dog freestyle with the locks in DMX, and it actually ended up it blew up so crazy ended up being his first single.
Speaker 1: He did the solo version, did it made it into a single.
Speaker 2: It's crazy. I ain't even realize that started on a clue tape. That's what I'm telling you. The fucking impact of your clue tape was crazy, my g Like the Desert Storm movement, Duro Skang Dollar came on, they all like, you know what I'm saying, Like, Yo, bro, y'all definitely had a wave. And I feel like y'all don't get enough credit as a movement in this game, like they try to. You know, people skip chapters in the book. I always feel like people never look at the beginning of the book. They want to skip to the end. So in that process of going to the end to see if everybody is successful at the end of the story, they skip chapters and forget who was part of that success.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying and desert storm y'all niggas.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: You know, even though me and.
Speaker 2: Fab never got a record, I still respect the bigger back. And then you let me tell niggas too because you hit me the other day. You was like, Yo, how are you gonna tell niggas? How fuck with you?
Speaker 1: Bleak? Let me telling you right, man, Listen, it ain't that you don't fuck with me. You my brother. I love you. We grew our up with y'all niggas.
Speaker 2: Bro, It's never no like yo, Clue, don't fuck with me like fuck that nigga here, bitchasz Nigga's Like I just always felt I never got the support from you on radio. But then I heard something. I'm not gonna snitch on you and tell who.
Speaker 1: Told me this.
Speaker 2: But then it made sense when I heard this or why, because I was like, I was talking to somebody from your crew. I'm not gonna tell who because I want you to go back and hang a nigga off the balcony. And I'm like, Yo, why Clue never showed me love like that nigga Like Yo, Bleak.
Speaker 1: You probably don't know.
Speaker 2: But back in the day, man Dang made a bet with clue, and I'm like, what he said that, dang, bet you that me because me and FAB albums dropped.
Speaker 1: Around the same time, and that he was saying that I was.
Speaker 2: Gonna outsell like you was your Fab gonna sell more than Bleak Dang like bleek On sell more than Fab and y'all bet And he was like, yo, that's why. And I'm like, it makes sense if you got money on the line of nigga, like I promise that record put that, I promise you just be talking about this absolutely. We might we might have, we might have had like a playful bet, but I would never I would never but not play your record to like that first of all, in my mind, a situation like that, it wouldn't even be fair because it's like if I didn't help you all the same, how I would I even be able to know who who did what? Yeah, Like, how would I be able to know like what the reel is.
Speaker 3: I'd rather know what the rail is and fail so I can fix so I can fix it, rather than you know what I'm saying, like, yeah, I ain't on that, you know what I'm saying, Like I remember a FABS debut album and j album dropped on the same day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nine to eleven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a fact, because because I was telling people. I always tell people like yo, like, there's a real good chance that I could have been on that first flight going to LA because we would shooting anytime we would shot a video on the West, I would always fly out, and I would always fly I had my I had my I had my radio show on Monday, so I had to beat it from the radio show and I would leave right after and hop on the first flight to LA to whatever video were shooting. Because you know, album dropped on Tuesday, and we always shoot videos on Tuesdays. So the reason I stayed in New York and was home was because FABS albums dropped when we were doing promo.
Speaker 1: It's crazy, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Bro insane, the music business saving niggas lives. Man, I tell people all the time, man made. I always tell people how like, you know, even like during the during the the East Coast West Coast Beef, when we used to have to go to LA. I've seen Kevin, Kevin Lows and Leo, they used to they used to always make sure we had twenty four hours sec armed security with us in front of the hotel had we had. We had drivers twenty four hours a day all day. I remember, Yo, That's why La. I got a love and the hate for La because I remember when I first went to La.
Speaker 1: La was like going over seas.
Speaker 2: There was like foreign objects to them where they was like you from New York, I fucking love you. Then it became you're from New York, Hey dog get over here. Come It's like who you with black?
Speaker 1: Like oh shot?
Speaker 3: I remember in front of my hotel door, I had a fucking I had a secrety guard with shotgun front in front of my door.
Speaker 1: That's how you know that.
Speaker 2: That's why I gotta love and hate because at the end of the day, you gotta respect niggas that could Holy City down to put anybody under pressure that get off that plane. You gotta get We wasn't under pressure. It's just like being better be safe than sorry. But respect. I ain't never seen niggas have security.
Speaker 3: You always got respect with someone else's territory the city, you always got respect better.
Speaker 1: But La is a different level, bro, It's different.
Speaker 2: We be in a lot of cities, man, course is a different like you're being sacked or men know nigga like I ain't come my cousin in l a little mall in them, like like what the fuck I thought?
Speaker 3: I just had beef in Yeah, and LA is one of the seas because you can't you can't like legally carry out this. So it's like, I mean, now they open it up so you can. But Paul, you know what I'm saying. But yeah, like you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: He had to give us what he had to give us. What Paus what yo?
Speaker 2: So in my eyes, you probably feel the same way though the music industry changed dramatically, like how you feel about the direction the digital access and everything, like how accessible music is today.
Speaker 3: I sent out a tweet like maybe like a month ago and the month and it said hip hop was really doomed. That was that was what I sent up. And I said that because I feel like I feel like if she continues to go away, it is going now, it's it's it's gonna go backwards because I feel like a lot of the efforts not there. If you listen to some of a lot of the music, like before a lot of the music was good, like the production was good. Now it's like a lot of this shit sounds the same these rappers, Like some of the rappers, they just like it's okay to sample an old song, you're supposed to make it better. Yeah, you can't sample the old song and fucking and use the same lyrics that someone.
Speaker 2: Else already used it. But oh bro, these be three five years old. You'd be like, nigga, I just heard this record, Like, how you sampling this?
Speaker 3: I mean listen, like I said when we were coming up, we sampled. So you can't handle a sampling askment. But if you're gonna do a song, at least make the song yours, Like, don't use the same hooks and phrases that for your hook that the other people use. Like that don't make no sense to me personally, you know. And the on top of that, niggas is not really niggas is not really putting that lyrical pain down.
Speaker 1: It's like it's like a lot of swag wrap by car. I call a swag rap.
Speaker 3: Because it's like I feel like niggas just talking about Yeah they swag and and bitches and cars, and like when niggas, when I had niggas in the song, say they got pushed the start my nigga know how long I had fucking pushed the start, calling my nigga.
Speaker 1: Like like nigga was being born. Hell, push the start game?
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 1: Is that really a punchline? Like no disrespect, but come on man.
Speaker 2: Like, like yo, I feel like these kids just don't think legacy rap. They think today because the money is great microwaves.
Speaker 1: But the money is.
Speaker 2: Great now, remember back then it was really no money. It was no example of billionaires that you could like, oh, I could get this bag and be like them, So it was more of just trying to build your legacy for us, I think where it was like, yo, I'm just making the music I love and trying to cough something out maybe twenty thirty years from now this shit it Remember, they don't have to wait that long. Today, thirty minutes from now, that shit downloaded twenty million times stream like and they getting the check. So it's like, yo, bro, if I made one hundred thousand off this record in thirty minutes, oh, I'm gonna make thirty more records than thirty minutes.
Speaker 1: Just just like that. So you can't be mad at that fact either. But it's not sustainable and a.
Speaker 3: Lot of I always say like a lot of the streaming shit. First of all, they got the you know, they got the.
Speaker 1: Phone farms on that shit, fake streams like the bous this and that.
Speaker 3: Third, it's different when you have to go to the store and buy a Memphis Meg album and you have to take your heart of the money and put eight dollars on the counter to.
Speaker 2: Get this album or whatever what thirteen or twelve hours, whatever it was. It's different, a different type of love and respect for like the culture.
Speaker 1: Like you got to go in the store and put your heart. Now you put twelve hours.
Speaker 3: Now you can listen to everybody album before you had to go in the store and buy that and Fizky put that money on count going platinum like that is a different level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's super different thing about it. I think, what is it you need a record to be listened to eleven hundred times to be considered a purchase. It's insane eleven hundred times to be one one sound?
Speaker 1: And who made that? Math? Yo? Straight?
Speaker 2: Like do you feel like mixtapes helped create the rollout back then for artists? That that's an element that's missing to No, for sure. I remember like they used to call me to do they call them sampleo tape.
Speaker 3: So they were like they'll put like four snippers from the album and then whatever and whatever the single was, Like I did Usher's first samplo tape.
Speaker 1: They can't going for that.
Speaker 3: I did ta first samplo tape obviously, like you know, a couple of artists hand in Nori and Fab so we so we did.
Speaker 2: Like like that was like a thing back then to help promote the albums. I feel like that's definitely missing. If a lot of these guys got into the mixtape vibe, then they would have to dig pause deeper in their bag for the album because you couldn't drop a mixtape and then drop the album sound the same.
Speaker 1: You gotta go a.
Speaker 2: Level up or a level down wherever the fucking music gonna take you, for sure, like today's rap bus. Because back in the day when I came up, the appreciation for DJ I felt like if you didn't have a right DJ, your show was whacked, your set was whacked, your party was whacked. I feel like these kids today, like you said, it's just microwave music. Do you feel like the appreciation for DJs is a lost.
Speaker 1: Art in this game now?
Speaker 3: I mean I feel like you know, a lot a lot of they try to say, like I heard rumors like your radio matter and it's all about streaming and functorating.
Speaker 1: But yo, like it's like if you don't if you don't get your your.
Speaker 2: Song on.
Speaker 1: Radio to do good and you don't get the.
Speaker 3: Visuals on TV, Like TV and radio is like still a bitiggas platforms, right, they don't hate the most.
Speaker 1: Don't get it twisted. They's still the biggest platforms.
Speaker 3: So it's like when I had people say that, I'm like, yo, it's just you know, eight name is being passed around like it's obviously it's a business. And they put and they put that out of the old streaming and streaming that streaming is cool, but it ain't the same effect.
Speaker 1: It ain't the same.
Speaker 3: It ain't the same respect Like you know what I mean, Like, if you can get your record played in New York City on the radio, that's a big win.
Speaker 2: Trust me, it's not easy. I'm from New York. These DJ niggas did not play me. I'm gonna tell y'all every time Jay that song ninety nine problems come on radio, don't play my song. If I don't play they show he really meant they don't play Bleak song.
Speaker 1: If I don't play that show, I'm gonna rewrite it, y'all. We're gonna get the real version of how it's supposed to have when you're gonna get Jay back in the studio. Hell, Yo, I.
Speaker 2: Tried, bro, I send this nigga records that nigga hit me one day and was like, Yo, Bleak, I'm not no. This is a really good record, but I'm not rapping on it. I'm cool, I'm not rapping no more. I'm chilling. I don't got nothing to say. Maybe you could do it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'll be trying. I send them some joints too, I sent. I sent him some fire to that I throw his vibe.
Speaker 1: But he just if I thought the clips was gonna get him out the crib. I tried to get him out the crib. I told him to you, I said, Yo, you ain't gonta do an album, just.
Speaker 2: Do like versus one verse, one verse, but it gotta be on one of my joints, one of my thongs, nobody else and we could put it on clue tape though, Yo. So yeah, when people here DJ clue what you want them to associate your name with the contributions you gave.
Speaker 1: To the game.
Speaker 3: I mean, shit, just the obvious man, Like you know what I'm saying, Like you know, I mean, we did a lot of legendary shit, man.
Speaker 1: So I feel like, you know what I mean, Like I feel like.
Speaker 3: We made the mixtape a global thing because it was, like you know what I'm saying, the first platinum mixtape album.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, Like you said the tone to.
Speaker 2: Right this nigga won the Mixtape Awards like fifteen years in a row.
Speaker 3: They had they had to, they had to actually, like you know what I'm saying, like make it seem like my ship wasn't doing what we were doing to actually let other need DJs through the gate.
Speaker 1: So I mean, I ain't mad at that though. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You paved the way man, and that's a big deal, my ge. Beyond the tapes in the radio, what you're most proud of creating or building in.
Speaker 3: This well for one that you know, like the production side of it, because I think I feel the production side was like it was like a level up, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Talk about it something tell them, man, because I know something.
Speaker 2: Well like the Mariah carry Jones like Heartbreaker, Heartbreaker remix, talk about it, uh we Belong Together remix with the Locks. You know, I'm saying I had a lot of.
Speaker 3: Joint Superwoman little Mo like you know what I'm saying, Like there is a lot of records I did, Like you know what I'm saying, that's still like you know if you could play a record twenty years after you did it and it's still rock and still did Yeah, you did your thing, Like you know what I'm saying. So like you know when I still hear records on the radio that like like they play so much you with Fab and to me a lot, so like listen, I still hear them records on the radio.
Speaker 1: I'm like, damn, that shit still come on. You know, I'm in Florida.
Speaker 2: That should come on like it just dropped, right, And you know that's that type of that's that type of b drop, you know what I mean, that shit come on like it just dropped.
Speaker 3: Even like even like with the we Can't Let You Go with Fab, like I had just pulled the studio because I needed a joint, and I'm like and you know, you know how you got to pull up on just I just pulled the studio And that's actually when I'm at EBAs that day. E bas just playing the guitar and just had the drugs playing and he wasn't done.
Speaker 1: I'm like, nig I'm taking it. So I just I really like just took the idea.
Speaker 2: I took the files, like I took the guitar and took the drump ship and actually took it to the studio and me and Daryl put it together and like and like, you know, format at it and you know what I'm saying, and justin give me no credit, but just need my credit, so you know, actually format this ship and put it together to make it sound like.
Speaker 1: A real song. And I brought him back to just he had it a little more, you know what I'm saying stuff to it. And that was crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, it was one of them things like even like but I was I was talking to my boy Freedom because we was we went to dinner yesterday and we were just talking about music and even make me better. So the story with that would make me better. So so we had met with Tata. Tata had you know the beat with Neo on the hook, I'm like, yeah, we need to get fab on that. So but when we get fab on, it ships fire. So now I got to call Tima on the boy the Beat, because first of all, you know, Timbo back then was charging.
Speaker 1: Fifty.
Speaker 3: But I was like, nah, tell my man, he gonna he gonna look out. So he was like, so you know he charges something regularly, he ain't charge just nohing crazy, but the beat, he told me the beat was sold. So he sold the Beat to Eve. So yeah, so so you know, me and Eve was man cool because we was on tour together and you know, like you know back then, like we were just starting. So you know remember Rockefeller or with death Chair and you couldn't even fly first class until you went platting.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: Couldn't get that nice hotel either until he was platting. So me and Eve, like we was on tour, we was flying coach together. Let me have going back to the East coast whatever, So we was man cool. So I called her and I'm like, yo, I need to high let you when you're gonna be in town.
Speaker 1: So I took it.
Speaker 3: At dinner, we was talking, you know, chopping it up. I'm like, y'all got this song. You got the beat I need to beat? And she was like, she was like, what song is this? I told to Tim and she's like damn. She's like I'm like yeah, she's like, yo, play with me. So I played it for her and she was like, Yo, she is fire.
Speaker 1: You can have it.
Speaker 2: Crazy, that's dope, shout out Eve. She is one of the people's man, even real one. So like what the next chapter for Clue looked like, Man, what's next? After all said and done? Moving to Italy.
Speaker 3: Nah, I just came back. I just came back to me doing it. I did a I did a party in France. Man, it's good to go back there. France did a party for Supreme. You know what we need that we need that plug? Plug us got you.
Speaker 1: I gotcha, they gave They gave me cart blanche when shopping out there at the store.
Speaker 2: They you know, you got to see the line at the Supreme store in Miami. I still in the store, crazy down the block.
Speaker 1: That's what I like. I need the plug and I got you. I can tap in. That's easy, yo, yo. Yeah, not so like ship man, Like you're just trying to what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: You know, I got the I got the podcast as well with my boy Heineken Backfield, got Dad of course, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Me and Rose got to moving with the bell Air. You know what I'm saying. We got ship You involved with the bell at too. I ain't know that. Yeah, bro, you know snipers out here. I introduced rods to the situation.
Speaker 2: Man, So like you know what I'm saying, silent snipers out here watching watch it.
Speaker 1: They on the roof.
Speaker 3: So now so now we got the We got the the bell Air. We got Villon, which is the cognac. You know what I'm saying. We got DK which is the whiskey. We got you know, the MC queen, Violet fog Jin.
Speaker 1: So we got We're moving.
Speaker 2: Fucking around you in the Spirits game for real, moveing man. That's a nigga clue minati a fucking around man. Well, I appreciate you pulling up my guy. Man.
Speaker 1: Word up, man, this is this is This means a lot to me.
Speaker 3: Me and Memphis Beat don't have no big say that.
Speaker 2: But I got one question before what we know? Because you know j thirty baby, what what you want to say to Jay thirty? Man?
Speaker 1: It's thirty years of this ship, Yo jay Yo.
Speaker 3: First of all, Jay Is people don't know he really is a funny ass nigga.
Speaker 1: He's tried funny project baby.
Speaker 2: I tried to He the only nigga who will saying no, me know and start laughing and let look at you in your face while.
Speaker 1: You yeah laugh and tell you damn you mad. I said no, Like, yeah, funny nigga.
Speaker 2: He like now he was like, he'd be like he'll say no and you think he's joking me, dead ass serious.
Speaker 1: He's like, nah, they give you then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, thirty years exactulations, old man, you know I'm saying thirty years, like just just to know from I'll be telling him like from where we started from to where the whole team has got to is it's crazy, like from like I remember, Earth bought jade of my mom's cribbing queens.
Speaker 1: We make the mixtap back in the basement. So he practice for his first show, bro Yo chill words, Chi Chi words, and then from that to going on promo tour in a mini van y'all.
Speaker 2: I remember, Yeah, it's crazy, bro passenger vans and them Turtle was in there for real stealing pillows out the hotel.
Speaker 1: It'll be comfy. The next morning we was riding was you was you in Virginia When we went to the we did the in store and the limo and they brought they did limos. So yeah, so let me tell you. Let me tell you how this story. I was there.
Speaker 3: So so we go to Virginia when Jay was dropped his first album. He on a promo, whateverever, and we go to instore, this store and back then niggas ride the limos in New York limo. So so we went to the limo for him to go to the in store. We leave an in store. They surround the whole car. They like when we was leaving, they was jay Z jay Z count on the car, boobs.
Speaker 1: Out, putting them on the window.
Speaker 2: Remember, by time we get the hotel and we get out and the and the the dude who owns the limo look at the car.
Speaker 1: This about him ninety dents and this o his limo fucked up. It was not one part of the car that had them straight up.
Speaker 2: Someone got up paved with my car. Like I don't know who, YO know, but that ship was finished. I think that was the if I'm not mistaken. I think that was the first day I realized like, oh it was real, this ship really real, Like we hear now we arrived, Like that's crazy. I forgot you was there for that clue she was in these streets, Marvin Man, Like I said, Man, I appreciate you coming through. I'm gonna definitely pull up to the podcast talk about these spirits because you know this.
Speaker 1: Is yeah, yeah, I already know what you whatever, you need, what you need. Listen, dude, listen, du dude. You know Bret Brett is the family. That's that's like fair, that's like this, this is like you know what I'm saying, This is like cousins. That's right.
Speaker 2: You know what it is, man, It's rock solid fucking DJ. Clue best mixtape DJ in the motherfucking world. And if you ain't tap in, you better motherfucking tap in rock solid.
Speaker 1: We here. Yeah.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows at and you can follow me on any social media platform under the name Memphis Bleach.
Speaker 1: You see anybody fraud and flag the