Speaker 1: What's going on? Everybody. Welcome into Fantasy pros. This is the Fantasy Baseball Podcast. I'm your host, Joe Rico, and today we're gonna have a little bit of fun. We're gonna look forward to twenty twenty seven, talk about some ADP predictions, and I have a great guest here. He is the second most noteworthy mustachioed Paul s in the baseball sphere. You could argue he's number one, but I think Paul Skins might take that got me title from mister Paul Sport. But we love him nonetheless, Paul, greaty to talk with you. Different network than we're used to talking on, and it's been a while since I've hosted you on the show. Right, well, this should be a lot of fun, my friend.
Speaker 2: It's great to be on with you.
Speaker 3: Joe. Yeah, we usually do sleeper in the bus. I'm driving the bus. I like to be in the passengers. See I can be passenger princess today and talking twenty twenty seven is gonna be fun. You know, we still have a whole second half. I know they're not equal hals, but you know we still got a whole chunk of games. Things could change, but We know some of our sick friends out here. They're gonna start doing drafts soon, and we're part of that.
Speaker 2: I don't know how early you do it.
Speaker 3: We know Justin will get on the draft tomorrow if they asked him to, So people are going to start drafting pretty soon, at least in August. I know that there's usually that meatball draft, so they're going to have to make some of these decisions right away on where everyone's going to be going in the draft next year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting. It's like a few weeks ago, James Anderson was on the show and we did a second half redrafting Welsh and I kind of ran back the idea the other day, and now we can start looking ahead. We're going to talk about about fifteen players today and how we think they should be drafted in twenty twenty seven, and I think we'll start right at the very top here. Jacob Mazerowski and Cam Schlitzler have been the number one and number two pitchers this season, which is probably not what anybody was really expecting, especially to the degree that it is. Jacob Mazerowski is thirteen dollars clear on the auction calculator of the number two pitcher, who is Cam Schlitler. That is the difference, my god, that is the difference of a Braxton Ashcraft or a Bryce Miller, or a Gavin Williams or Kyle Harrison or even de Grom is a fourteen dollars player. So it's essentially the difference of a deGrom between the number one and number two pitchers. Misrowski's been amazing. Schlitler has also been amazing, right and.
Speaker 2: But for him to be that far ahead.
Speaker 1: And I wonder if they are now the new schoobl and Skians to some extent at the top of draft boards. Has Scoogle done enough to move off of the number one pitcher in terms of the injury and you know he'll be in a new destination most likely yester year. Will that keep people off of him? Skeens has the you know, a couple of blows.
Speaker 2: He's been a little bit.
Speaker 3: I think we can say he's not tall Skins right now, He's not like unquestioned six plus every time out ten plus punches. He's fine. They're certainly not flailing because of him, but he hasn't. No, Ashcat's been the ace the last six.
Speaker 2: Weeks, so Yeah.
Speaker 3: As far as the Schoobl piece, I do think he's going to be off the number one spot for me specifically. This isn't like scorned lover, leave my team. I don't want to draft you, but I subscribe to the Glenn Colton and Rick Wolf the part of their smart program where they don't like to buy guys on the first year of the mega deal. They never suggest that they always fail, and I'm with him, that's not what it is. It's that you want to give a year of transition, see what happens. How's Kyle Tucker doing for you this year? And again you can find guys who are doing great.
Speaker 2: Right. It's not a one way or the other.
Speaker 3: It's that we you know, those two and myself separately, but they pioneered it.
Speaker 2: That's why I'm giving them credit.
Speaker 3: Want to step off for a year and just see what's what what's the adjustment now that you're the dude. Schoobl's been the dude. He's a two time side. I don't think he's going to be some sort of wilting flower. But Tucker wasn't some sort of you know, nobody that had to go out to LA and become something and he's folded under that.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he's.
Speaker 3: Dealing injury or whatever's going on, but he's had a bad year. What if schoobl goes out there and maybe that's just I gotta deal with this. This is tougher than I thought it would be. Whatever the case may be, I doubt he will fail, but you a most certainly won't be my number one guy. Big part of it being that reason because I don't think if he's healthy, of course that we're not worried about that.
Speaker 2: If he's injured, that's a whole different story.
Speaker 3: But if he's healthy ready to go, I think it's gonna be Miss Scooble, and then I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Kind of go from there.
Speaker 3: I'm still gonna have him too, but I'm not gonna have him in that number one spot. And I could see a Schlitzler, and I can still see Skeins getting there too. I'm not gonna throw Skeins out off of a handful of crummy stone, like two actual bad bad starts and then a handful of like you know, you're not being your a self. So I think there is a new number one and miss when healthy, and that's gonna obviously be the biggest caveat here. But we're trying to break the future. So let's go with him healthy. How do you not take him number one? With what he does?
Speaker 1: I mean, his output is reminiscent this year of the peak Patro years.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I was gonna say here.
Speaker 1: Johan Santana type like, it's just like the peak pictures of the last twenty years. This is what we're seeing from him. A thirty three percent drake out to walk right, a point seven to six whip era doesn't matter that much to me, but the fact that it's at one sixty two is still pretty remarkable. Total twenty runs he's allowed this year in one hundred and eleven innings. He's just been outstanding. So he's healthy, he's the number one guy with a bullet or I mean, can we project forward and say, look, he's throwing one hundred and five, he's throwing one hundred and four. I just don't want to be the guy holding the bag or he does end up getting hurt. Is that a prudence strategy?
Speaker 3: You think there is prudence to that, And that's where it becomes really difficult, because you take a look at that leaderboard of the top x ten twelve velocity guys in any given year lately, and you put a little X mark next to the ones who have been injured severely, and you're gonna have eight to ten X marks on that twelve player list right like it happens all the time. And so he does feel like a ticking time bomb while also being the best picture on the planet right now? So how do you balance that? I still think he's the number one guy. I still think I could see scenarios where I myself would take him. But if somebody said, hey, when you're throwing this hard, like we know that the one hundred mile an hour throwers get hurt, this dude throwing Buco three bucko four, how is it not a guarantee that he's going to get hurt at some point?
Speaker 2: And I want to lay off.
Speaker 3: I would not clown that person if they wanted to go for a safer hitter. Nobody's safe, You're not. You're not going to get a perfect anything. Hitters are indeed safe for though that's a guarantee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so is MS a first round pick then, assuming definite number one pitch, or you think he's a first rounder.
Speaker 3: Yeah, got gotta be for me. Like again, we're talking he's healthy coming off this year. Let's say he raises the VRA even all the way up to like two ten, which would be kind of a bumpy second half, which is crazy to think, right because he's at one sixty.
Speaker 2: Two right now. But let's say he ends two.
Speaker 3: Ten, eighty nine on the whip, three hundred and ninety five thousand strikeouts. I just don't see how he's not a top five pick next year.
Speaker 1: I think, I agree, I think he is. Yeah, and that's kind of where the top pitcher has been going the last couple of years. Maybe not always in the top five, but you will see minimum picks like second, third, four, yes, with an ADP of like five or six, and.
Speaker 3: Schemes Google started to inch toward the middle back end there as hitters got pushed up.
Speaker 2: I mean, we could see that again. Because you know another thing.
Speaker 3: About this year, and that this is where miss and Schlitzler came from, is that second and third tier really paid off handsomely this year, big time. The weight on pitching strategy that Nick Poullack loves to employ in his leagues. That was the way to go this year. You could get a good ace, right. If you took Sanchez, you're fine. I took Scoogle and I'm you know, he got hurt and that wasn't great, but I'm not I'm not losing my league because of him. So there were good ones, but crochet bust schemes SP fifteen had that from day one. So I mean, it was tough this year at the top of the pitching queue, and I think that's going to bring some caution for some folks, excuse me, and they're going to want to play in that middle to find the next miss and the next Schlittler.
Speaker 2: Easier said than done, though, of course.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Let's keep it going and we'll move to what it's been the hottest offense in Major League Baseball this year. I still say it kind of hesitantly because I don't really truly believe it, but the Washington Nationals have been the best offense in baseball this year. So let's talk about their three massive standouts. Offensively, James Wood, who, if you're looking just among hitters this season, is the number one hitter in all A Fantasy Number seven is CJ Abrams and now at number twenty two, more shockingly than even.
Speaker 2: Those two biggest shams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Luis Garcia Junior sitting here with twenty homers almost seventy ribbis at the break in a two eighty four patting average. So I'll say James Wood's going to be a first rounder. C. J. Abrams probably a third rounder. But Luis Garcia is the one where it's like it really is going to come down to what he looks like in the second half, I think. But a top one hundred or so pick I think is on the table at this point, sport, what do you think?
Speaker 3: I certainly think so, and I don't necessarily know exactly how I feel about that right now.
Speaker 2: I enter it with some trepidation.
Speaker 3: And yet I look at somebody who will be turning two seven, so certainly not old. Has been around the block multiple times. That's the thing. Like, this guy has years under his belt already. This is his seventh year. Now they're not all full seasons. Abuck thirty nine, two forty seven, plaited appearances in the first two, but then three seventy seven, forty two, five, twenty eight, five, twenty six and already three nineteen this year. This guy has tons of experience, and he took a major step forward. He already has a career high in homers this year. I don't know how you don't get him up there, because there's some there's some viability to this too. Now there are some things that you could poke holes in. He has no idea that if you take four balls that you get a walk. He doesn't even know that rule yet. But when you're hitting like this, I'm not going to crush you for it. Fifteen percent. Hey rate tells me that you don't need to walk. You know how to make contact, you know how to go get your pitches. So don't you know, sometimes we want to force these guys to walk like a Tim Anderson type. I remember saying if you could just walk ten percent, but you forget about how that would like fundamentally change who they are. Would they give up on pitches that they could normally hit. So I don't need to change Luis Garcia from that standpoint. But he's gonna end the year almost assuredly with thirty bombs, right, that's only ten more of the rest of the way. You certainly hope he's pushing closer to thirty five and the two eighty four average show batting average these days is impossible. Wind about mine on the sleeper and the bus in the main this year, I'd kill for two eighty four. So the fact that he brings that average with it, I think it will make Luis Garcia Junior a top one hundred, barring just a complete collapse a fade like let's say he has a one thirty seven ops plus right now, Let's say he ends closer to one twenty eight one point thirty, so shaves a handful of points off hits two eighty and those thirty three homers.
Speaker 2: That's top one hundred.
Speaker 3: Pick I think, especially with this offense, because people are gonna be excited about them next year, especially if they do something crazy like make a playoff run, which I don't think they're going to, but if they somehow snuck in, I think that would add to their cachet.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, if their bullpen was even somewhat competent, and even the rotation. I mean, this really just comes down to the pitching. But that walk remark about Garcia is one of the funniest things I've heard her say on a show in the last couple of years. It's actually hilarious too, because he has walked fifteen times this year. He's walked one hundred and twenty three times in his career. Won twenty three. James Wood James Wood has walked seventy nine times this season.
Speaker 3: Barry Bonds has a season with over one hundred and twenty three IBB's I believe that one of those mega years like that is crazy, but again he makes it where Louis Garcia Junior does, so hats off to him on that. It is crazy though, how some of these guys are just like now, I'm here to swing, and you know what, it is definitely working. But who could have seen this coming? You know, if you did, I'll take your word for it, but send me a note on Twitter or something, let me know what you saw, because I saw a guy who fell off big from twenty four when he hit two eighty two with eighteen and twenty two, that was a really nice season. Twenty twenty four was, but then he kind of said, I'm a little bit of a fluke. Sixteen fourteen was okay, but two fifty two on the average and sub two ninety OBP had me scared. I was running for the hills on Garcia, I got that one wrong. I'll raise my hand on that one. But if you were in on him preseason, like you didn't just luck into him and you saw something, please let me know because I would love to know what I missed with him. But I'm enjoying watching him and the Nats. I've watched way more Nats games this year, pretty much since their heyday when they when they had strass and they were competitive. I've probably watched twenty games of theirs, which I don't think I did in the last three years combined Joe, They're.
Speaker 1: A fun team. I mean, I love Foster Griffin. I was, Yeah, the loudest mouth about Kate Cavally was me heading into the season, and he's kind of figured it out a little bit. But they've been a fun offense. Like this team as a unit, I mean, Curtis Mead they figured out this year. He bear had that hot run earlier this season too. It's been it's been a fun team. And Luis Garcia. I was kind of interested in draft season. I had him on two fab teams and then looking back on it, so through the start of the season through May first, he had a sixty seven w RC plus he had one homer, two steals, he was hitting two forty three. He made games that was three So first one hundred and eight played appearances.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is what makes this game so hard because anybody who would have cut him there, I'd have said, hey, you gave it a month, like and that's that's all. That's all I asked people to do with like their breakout picks, give them some time to see where they're at.
Speaker 2: But you can't hold people endlessly.
Speaker 3: And we sign our boys, uh justin and I sign our boy Scott Pianowski all the time. When when he says if you never make a cut that you regret, you're probably being too tight. You're probably keeping guys too long and likely sinking with too many ships, he's saying that you're being too passive not cut everyone after two weeks. But again, you could have waited five six weeks here with Louis Garcia and it didn't really get going even until about the first ten twelve days into May when you had a two homer game on May twelfth. So that's another thing too, is that Louis Garcia's probably not on most of the teams that drafted him, especially in your tens and twelves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, since May first, it's a nine to eighty two ops. It's a one to sixty four wrc lous nineteen homers. I mean, like just unbelievable production and completely agree with the piano man, one of our favorites here. You're gonna have to try and get him on. Although now that it's football season, I've I've probably missed my window.
Speaker 3: Bo.
Speaker 2: You'll see we could be focused. He could be focused on the old hand egg.
Speaker 1: You will see him at that at some point here on the channel in the future. But before we keep it going today, one to remind he gives about my playbook. With my playbook, you'll instantly identify the best pickups available in your league when every trade with our trade analyzer, and see the most optimal lineup every day based on our projections and your specific scoring settings. You can sink your league at fantasypros dot com slash MLB my playbook, or download the Fantasy Pros app for personalized expert advice. If you're looking to get a little sneak peak a couple of days free, it's fantasypros dot com slash free for our premium tools. On the site. Let's keep it going here spor really fun conversation. I do love this. I know it's not the most practical for people today, but I think it's a really fun conversation to look forward and see something yapping guys next sek just get the bit, see.
Speaker 2: All start break.
Speaker 3: I know there's one game time, which, by the way, is pretty unfair to the Phillies and Mets. I never liked for a couple of years they did it where everyone had Thursday off. It's not the end of the world. I know they're paid hands. I mean, I'm not saying feel bad for the players. There's a little unfair that two teams have to play when everyone else gets another day off. I don't know about all that, but anyway, we're still on break here, so I agree with you. It's not super practical for your fantasy purposes right now, but we're having fun this week.
Speaker 1: People demand baseball, and God gives them the Mets, so that's what you get, folks. And they just said that opening day next year is going to be March twenty fourth or something, so it's like we're starting early. It's the earliest and major League history, so oh my're not. So if you're like in the World Series next year, you're gonna have the shortest amount of time that you've ever had. So they're just kind of really caring about the breaks that guys are getting.
Speaker 2: It seems well, but that assumes we start on time.
Speaker 1: This does assume.
Speaker 2: I hate to say that, but you gotta be practical.
Speaker 1: Keep our fingers crossed. I hope we will. Let's talk about some catchers and we'll go to your neck of the woods here for one of them. Catchers have been unbelieve and it's been talked about a lot this season, but there's seven twenty dollar catchers. There's twelve catchers who are at least ten dollars. It's been unbelievable. Hunter Goodman is the name that we're gonna start with here, and Dylan Dingler, the two of them. I am really curious to wonder where they go next year because I think Ben Rice is going to be super expensive and he's been great. Liam Hicks probably won't be super expensive, just because this is his first time doing it. Langeliers, Contrerez, Herrera, Baldwin, They're all gonna be expensive, but they were already kind of expensive. Goodman was in that same realm of kind of expensive. But he's also just surpassed expectations for me this season. Twenty seven homers already, he had thirty one all of last year, fifty nine runs scored, he only had seventy three all of last year. And he's able to hit for a good batting average behind the dish, which is pretty rare. And then your boy Dylan Dingler, a twenty six dollars catcher, nineteen homers, sixty RBI. He's already a four win player in eighty seven games this year, looking like a super day in real life perspective. So what are we thinking? I guess we could take it from a more macro level too. It catchers in general, what's gonna happen with their prices? But Goodman and Dingler, I'm particularly interested to hear your thoughts here.
Speaker 3: I really think Goodman is going to jump up. He was seventy two in the main. I think he's gonna jump up into this year's Shae Langelier's territory, which was like picks forty to fifty range. I think that's gonna be where he's at. He's not gonna be the number one guy, the boy you mentioned earlier, Ben Rice. He's gonna be that number one guy, and he's gonna kind of take that cal rolly spot.
Speaker 2: I think in that second third round range.
Speaker 1: I really think people are gonna though he might not have the eligibility though Rice, he probably won't.
Speaker 3: Wait, how many games does he have because he's eligible? Now, I forgot about that.
Speaker 1: I think he's got zero. Honestly, he might have won. Let me see, I think he.
Speaker 3: Hasn't caught it all this year. Oh my goodness, I did not realize that. I thought he was still getting catcher games. Is what happens you don't have somebody you don't follow the day to day. I knew he was eligible, but that's, of course from last year. Okay, that changes the calculus. I still think he's gonna go up there as a first baseman, but that's totally different.
Speaker 2: I wonder could Goodman be the number one? Then?
Speaker 3: I think that there's really a really big chance because here's the thing. You didn't even mention it. It's the easiest thing to mention, I understand. But course he's got that in his back pocket too. So your regression concerns can be at least a little bit mitigated with the protection. Of course, it can't hit the ball for you, right. We saw that over the years. In fact, we've been searching for a Colorado catcher for fifteen years before Goodman popped off last year. Every time I catcher would comes like is this the guy? You know, the first decent guy since like Chris Ayanetta, who wasn't even that.
Speaker 2: Good, but he had some consistency going.
Speaker 3: And now two years in a row with Goodman, I don't know how he's not going to jump up like there are some faults. He still strikes out a lot, but again that's where that course protection comes in, so that the batting average I don't want to say ant crater because of course it can. Baseball is insane. I wouldn't have thought that cal Rally would completely impluge this year the way he did. But I think there's there's a decent floor around two forty five because of cores, as long as Goodman isn't striking out like forty percent of the time. So like I said, I'm gonna put him inside the top forty five. And for context, Langliers went exactly pick fifty this year on average in the main event. So I got Goodman just a little bit higher there as the number one catcher, but that's still going to lower where the top catcher goes, because again Raley went twenty three this year.
Speaker 1: I've just noticed the strangest thing with Hunter Goodman. Looking back to last year at home he hit three oh seven, he hit thirteen homers. He actually had more home runs away from course field last year. Oh if you look at WRC plus was one eighteen away and one sixteen at home. I'm about to knock your socks offs for because this season Hunter Goodman has reverse course splits. When he is away. He has a one to fifty seven WRC plus when he has at hold. When he's at home this year it's a seven forty seven ops, which I think is maybe more prudent to you then h WRC plus because course gets knocked down. I think a little bit take get crushed. So a seven to fifty oh ps is still totally serviceable, but nine sixty four away if he starts hitting a course the way everybody else does like this is and he did last year. He hit very well at Cours last year, so it feels like small sample size stuff going on there, this guy might be a first round finisher in terms of the player raider this year, right, especially with the boost that catchers get, if he's able to start hitting at home in the second half, which he should be able to, right.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, I mean I'm seeing a two eighty three Babbitt. That's probably a big culprit here as to why getan only hitting two twenty three at home? So yeah, if he flips that and doesn't crater on the road, right, because if you three thirty Babbot on the road, that's high. But it's also not like impossible to sustain that when you smash the piss out of the ball the way he does. So what if what if he has you know, forty two bombs one hundred ribs and in a two fifty five two sixty average, we see some first round Goodman, am I going too crazy here?
Speaker 1: I mean, Raley, did I win it?
Speaker 2: That's a good point. That's a good point.
Speaker 1: But Goodman, with the cores factor, it's like complete polar opposites for park factors because sattles absolutely terrible and Goodman, just look at it now. I mean, I know that our player raider at Fangrafts gives a little bit of a boost to catchers, which most player raiders do. But Hunter Goodman's the number seven player despite not really doing much at cores in the first half. So yeah, five steals thrown in, Like, is he potentially going to be a top five player to finish the year? He might be, And if that's the then we might be entering the Rawley territory of he's a top twenty five, top thirty pick. I'd probably fade that, but I would I wouldn't rule it out entirely. I wouldn't. The reason I probably would.
Speaker 3: It's less about him and more the depth a catcher, which, by the way, I didn't see quite this good. You know, Justin and I talked about the catcher depth though a lot is here and we weren't doing ones. I'm not I'm not back patting here. I'm saying the fantasy community knew that Tetcher was deep, but I don't know if any of us saw it being this excellent who No one really missed in these top ones except I guess Ralegh of course the top one, and then Salvey's been light. He has his power, but his average is created. I think he's actually gonna be fine in the second half. But then Bengaliers, Contreras, Rice Goodman, Baldwin, I guess Augustin. So actually, okay, three of the top nine here, three of the top nine did fade and it's still been this good because of guys like Dingler, who we haven't even mentioned yet.
Speaker 2: But I'm totally with you that Goodman is going to be sky high.
Speaker 3: As for my boy, Dingler picked two thirty nine this year as somebody who's like, hey, that's my C two. He plays every day. I did not see this coming. Did I think that he could be a good everyday player. Yes, I've been liking Dylan Ingler since his college days. In fact, the only thing I don't like about him is that he went to Ohio State, but hey, he can't be perfect.
Speaker 2: But everything else I really like.
Speaker 3: He calls an amazing game, and he had thirteen homers last year with a two seven average. So I'm not saying anybody should have seen exactly this, but you could have been in on Dingler. I don't think you just lucked into him. And maybe I'm saying that because I have him on my main and I want I want credit for finding it, but you know, it was easy for somebody to make the case that they wanted to get Dylan Dingler as somebody who could improve to this level.
Speaker 2: It's been crazy.
Speaker 3: But given that he did it last year for four and sixty to nine plate appearances, another three sixty one this year. You add it all up, it's a two seventy one average and sixteen homers per four hundred plate appearances. There does he jump up into say the top one fifty area, because that would be around Basaiah went one fifty one this year. Could you see him being the tenth eleventh catcher Dingler next year.
Speaker 1: I gotta be honest that even when you said that, in my mind my initial reaction was that feels even a little bit light maybe but perhaps yeah, I'm.
Speaker 2: Maybe Jiner Diaz one twenty Will Smith.
Speaker 3: Not that catchers have to go at these specific spot I'm just trying to give a frien reference for where they went this year. Do you think him do you think Dingler's more in that Agustin Ramirez janer Diaz range which was ninety three throwing sal there ninety one to one twenty range.
Speaker 1: Then I mean, if we if he ends the year hitting like two seventy with twenty seven homers and eighty two RBI or something. I feel like he's gonna go in the Agustin Baldwin type of range, like back into the top one hundred maybe, but maybe. I mean, I guess with.
Speaker 3: The average this, I can see that because average, dude, two sixty two from a catcher is like three hundred from somebody else.
Speaker 1: And I should have said this at the beginning, but these numbers for the catchers in particular are definitely more geared to two catchers. Oh yeah, you're gonna If you're in a one catcher league and you take Hunter Goodman in the second round, I will personally yell at you don't two catcher leagues. It's a different story altogether. But I mean, so Janer Diaz was like one fifty and Addley one fifty. Adley went one to fifty last year coming off of a fairly season, but he did have a bit of a track record as well. Right name by, I think one twenty five feels like a good number for Dingler. If I'm predicting an ADP, I think one twenty five would be where i'd set over under.
Speaker 3: As I can absolutely get behind that. I think that's a really good number, and I think he can back it up again. If this was this first year out of nowhere and he didn't have last season with it, I'd maybe be a bit more skeptical. But this is two years now, he's going to be twenty eight, he's in the midst of his prime. Tigers are extensibly a solid team at least. We'll see how the rest of the year goes here. I know both of our teams need to come out of the gates firing here in the second half to stay in the race. Less they have to start trading pieces. But Dingler is obviously a foundational piece to this ball club, and I'm really excited to see what he does in the second half.
Speaker 1: He is far and away too this year, the best real life catcher. It's not even particularly close. I guess if you want to use Baseball Reference War for catchers, and there's always a bit of a back and forth between which war to use for catchers, But using Fangrafts War, he's at three point nine and the next best Gabby Moreno, at two point five, so a full win and a half clear of number one.
Speaker 3: I don't want to be a total company man Homer here, but I will say that you can't use b ref war for catchers. It doesn't include the framing. You gotta get the framing in there to really give him a fair shake there. That's such an instrumental part. And I don't know if anyone's baking in challenges at all, but he's one of the best challengers out there.
Speaker 2: Saw a great thing from him about Dingler.
Speaker 3: Jason Bennetti was talking about how he interviewed Scooble and he had brought up a situation to him. I don't remember the exact snaris, like you throw this pitch in this count and it's worked so well, you're giving up like a one hundred batting average whatever it was. He's like, how do you do that? And Scooble was like, talk to that man and pointed right to Dingler because he has such instilled trust in him. Scooble didn't even know what Bennetti was talking about, not that he wasn't clowning Benetti, but he didn't understand, Like he's like, that sounds awesome. I just execute what he tells me. I have that implicit trust in Dingler that if he says it's slider outside right now, then it's slider outside.
Speaker 2: And now not every pitcher's like that.
Speaker 3: Some want to have their own say in the call, but it's so nice when you can have that implicit trust. Aj Ellis got a whole career off of building Kershaw's trust, and you know, he was a fine player himself.
Speaker 2: I don't I'm not trying to integrate him with that, but like he.
Speaker 3: Was a backup catcher who got a ten twelve year career because he built the trust of one of the greatest pitchers ever.
Speaker 2: And Dingler's doing that. He's a quite a bit better than aj.
Speaker 3: Ellis, And I just love how he has built that trust with the pitching staff. And that's part of why the Tigers are still kicking, even because in his hitting and his ability to bring up the pitching, they're still navigating this dog.
Speaker 2: Pardon me, I can don't know if we can swear.
Speaker 3: This terrible American league that leaves both of our teams still in it despite being several games under five hundred on June sixteenth, July sixteenth, Excuse.
Speaker 1: Me, it's unbelievable. Like even looking back at last year, the Kyle Rawley had nine wins last year, just insane. Next best was four point seven for Alejandro Kirk over the whole season. Dylan Dinglar's three point nine this year and half a season would have been the fifth best catcher season last year as a whole, and he's still got half a year to man, he's one of the five that he would have been behind based on his four point one last year. So this is like, if you're talking real life baseball over the next five years, if we could take any catcher in the game, if you said Dylan, I wouldn't argue it right right.
Speaker 2: Might not be everyone's one one choice, but I certainly I'm with you. I wouldn't.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't blink at anybody's saying I love Dilly ding He's excellent.
Speaker 1: Played disciplines there, the power metrics are pretty solid, the catching is obviously elite. Like he's just he covers a lot of different bases.
Speaker 3: Team leader too, not that that matters for fantasy, but like it's clear that he helps lead that Tigers team absolutely.
Speaker 1: Today's show is brought to you by our presenting sponsor, hard Rock Bet. If you haven't tried hard Rock Bet, there's no better time to get in on the game. We talked a lot of baseball, we talked a lot of football here at Fantasy Pros, but right now it is time for the other football and is your final weekend to get in on the action. There's the third place game and then there is the World Cup Final taking place this weekend. Lots of excitement that will all be over soon, so make sure you guys are checking out. Hard Rock Bet is the top rated sportsbook app built to Viva la Copa and they've got some of the best soccer promos out there. Promos just keep coming every single day, so make sure you guys are checking out the app. If your first bet hits, you get one hundred and fifty in bonus bets, So just place that five dollars bet and if it wins, you get not only your winnings, but an extra one hundred and fifty in bonus bets as well. Hard Rock Bet is Florida's only legal sportsbook, but you don't have to be in Florida to join the party this summer. Hard Rock Bet is also live in Welsh Town in Arizona, Ohio, New Jersey, Indiana, Tennessee, Virginia, Illinois, Colorado, and Michigan, with more states on the way. Download the hard Rock Bet app today and don't let the cump's biggest games pass you by. Roll with us. Goal with Us hard Rock Bet payable in bonus bets, not a cash offer offered by the Seminol Tribe of Florida. In Florida, offered by Seminole hard Rock Digital LLC. In all other states. Must be twenty one plus and physically present in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia to play. Terms and conditions apply. Concerned about gambling in Florida, call one eight three to three play wise. In Indiana. If you are someone who knows a gambling problem and wants help, call one eight hundred and nine with it. In Arizona, Ohio and Virginia, call one eight hundred My reset gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler. Now these next two players, I put them together because they are both guys I think that have a wide range of outcomes. Here for their ADP in the second half, and that's Jordan Walker and Pete crow Armstrong. We just did this last year with PCA. Over the first half of the season he had been declared the MVP and YadA, YadA, YadA, and then the second half of the season he was arguably the worst hitter in all of baseball. He picks things up this season where he didn't leave off actually where he started in twenty twenty five. Twenty one homers, twenty four steels, sixty three runs. He's hitting two ninety one. I think he's better than he was at any point in twenty twenty five. And then we have Jordan Walker, who I think people had kind of given up on Jordan Walker to some extent, especially in the redraft community.
Speaker 3: All the way you could have over one thousand plate appearances, I know he was only twenty four.
Speaker 2: That was probably the saving grace.
Speaker 3: I am somebody who you know, if you're young and you still maybe your story's a bit unwritten, but once you cross that thousand plate appearance threshold, I start to see, you know, this is kind of maybe who you are. So I jumped off, and I say that specifically because I was a Jordan Walker truther for those first three years and throughout his prospect days. So it was kind of tough, you know, I had voice of Man, it's so hard to say goodbye playing in the background as I was like picking them off my draft list, man, and he was not expensive, but I'm like, what am I getting here? You know, you're starting to remind me of a write handed version of Cardinals. Jason Hayward like couldn't hit for a lick at all, and it was just like all the talent there. Now he's starting to play like the comp that I gave him the very first moment I saw him. And I know comps are lame and I don't always do them, but this one just struck me because he.
Speaker 2: Looks like him too. Derek Lee.
Speaker 3: I saw Derek Lee the same size, their faces looked similar, for God's sakes, their stay chants was similar. He was raking at Fall League and I fell in love immediately. And again three years of hell well, actually the first one was all right, one thirteen ops plus let's be fair to the rookie, pretty solid, but then two absolute piles of pooh in twenty four and twenty five, and like I said, you crossed that thousand peer and spresial. It's not magic, just like one hundred pitches isn't magic. But it is a representative sample where you start to say, who is this guy? Jerry's twenty four, But being young alone doesn't make you better. So until I see something, I'm out. So I didn't get him anywhere. I regret it, but I think process versus results. Process was right to not necessarily being on him. The results are He's been amazing and I love him. I like him more than PCA. Is that crazy to say I think he has a more bankable back. I think I'm still I think you can make the case that as well ahead of him. I'm sticking out my neck here on Walker because I still have the same concerns that I had about PC. Well, actually I shouldn't say same, because he's nearly tripled his walk rate or over doubled his walk rate from four and a half percent to eleven percent.
Speaker 2: That's huge for PCA. What I was.
Speaker 3: Concerned with is when you strike out too much and you don't walk, that's.
Speaker 2: A deadly combo.
Speaker 3: Well, strike out's still a little bit high at twenty six, but an eleven percent walk rate I can live with. So I shouldn't say he's the same guy, but I am still a little bit nervous about his volatility and where that's gonna be. I might be getting two suckered on half a season because of my previous love of Jordan Walker. I'm not saying I would necessarily take him over PCA, because frankly, I don't think you have to. I think PCA is going to be a first round pick unless he utterly collapses again in the second half.
Speaker 1: I think he probably will too. Yeah, I'm just like going through Walker's profile, He's got some add at batspeed this year. I mean quite a bit of added batsby.
Speaker 2: I think he hit driveline by the way I think he did.
Speaker 1: I think he did, and that sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't work. It appears that it really worked for Jordan Walker, and that's kind of the main thing here because you look at the chase rates, the contact raids, the swing strike rate is a little bit better, but still not great at fifteen percent, and it's really just the bat speed. And I saw Mike Petriello tweet something about this the other day to say bats speed is not everything. But in the top twenty five batspeed leaderboard, there's like twenty three guys having really good seasons, So it does appear to be a very important.
Speaker 2: Pretty big deal.
Speaker 1: It's still on the newer side, and people can be I mean, people still don't like WRC plus and stuff, so they see something like basspeed and they might think, Okay, I don't need to worry about this, but it is something that we need to pay attention to.
Speaker 3: Isn't it akin to velocity for pictures though, where it doesn't make you good? But what it is with velocity, the reason we stick with guys who throw one hundred over the guys who throw ninety two is it increases your margin for error. It raises your floor undeniably. I think we've see that with the pitch velocity guaranteed percent undisputable. Maybe not as undisputed for the bat speed stuff, just because it's a little bit newer, but I think it's a very similar parallel there. So yeah, I do believe that that is something that I would care about. You mentioned WRC plus, by the way, and just to throw it back to our boys in the nation's capital, they were doing some all star questions of the guys, what stat do you use to judge yourself? And most of them said ops, which, hey, you could do worse. You could have said, like batting average, you know, because batting average has.
Speaker 2: A one unit. This is how good I am. Absolutely not.
Speaker 3: Single tier rolled down my face when James Wood said WRC plus single tier rolled down my face. When Corbyn Carrol said, whoa bah, I'm like the kids, man, they're gonna be alright.
Speaker 2: Baby, I was.
Speaker 1: I was really really.
Speaker 3: Happy to hear that they're looking at those second third level stats to try to see how good they're And again, no one stat is perfect, but WRC plus overaps all day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And just looking at the bat speed leaderboard, the only guy who's swinging the bath hearder this year than Walker is Junior Cam. And you keep going down the list, there's a couple of guys that are like really like cam Smith is fourth, Garrett Mitchell is fifth. But you look in the top twenty five and thirty, it's Schwarbur, Wilson, Contrerez, James Wood, Julio Colson, Montgomery, Vladimir Guerrero, Gordon Alvarez, Riley Green, Corbyn Carroll like, it's the guys that are having great seasons. And again it's not everything. But you sort by the bottom of that leader board and there are some guys having good seasons. But it's like, I completely agree Paul. It's it's pitching velocity for hitters. But there'll be some blowhards on Twitter who say, no, no, no, we don't need to care about how hard you hit the ball or anything like that. And I feel like that it's still crazy.
Speaker 3: Jeff Fine Jason Michaels are going to be the ones saying that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but people listen to those old I know players for whatever reason.
Speaker 3: And I just because it confirms blues that they already had and they don't want to learn new stuff. And like old man yon at Cloud et cetera, et cetera. But like, come on, man, I do wonder you know if that makes Cam Smith interesting for next year. He'll be twenty five or twenty four next year with guess what about a thousand plate appearances under his belt. He's at eight to fifty right now. He should get another buck fifty this year and it's gonna be a better result than Walker. But maybe that says stick with him. Who was the other one you said, Oh, Garrett Mitchell. And Garrett Mitchell is somebody who has certainly shown flashes of greatness. If he could just make more contact with it, so we know he beats the piss out of it when he makes connection. The problem is is his strikeout rate has been consistently thirty two thirty three percent the last four years, actually his entire career. I'm sorry, he's a thirty four percent career guy for seven hundred and fifty six play appearances. But honestly that makes me interested in both. From a long term standpoint, Maybe cam Smith, if you're in a keeper league and you're out of it this year, go see what's up. Ideally they would be on a contending team. Cam Smith would say you could give them some contending pieces and get yourself a cam Smith. But I would be interested in buying off of bat Speed because I used to buy off of I don't play any trading leagues anymore, but I used to buy off of Velocity with pictures and it doesn't work every time, but it works generally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, looking at cam Smith, I might declare him my first like my guy of twenty twenty seven. Just thinking about the trajectory of the bat speed, he gained three miles an hour on his bat speed from twenty five past six.
Speaker 3: He has twelve and nine too. Like he's not totally worthless. This year, despite the slash being lagging.
Speaker 1: It looked like he was. I think I wrote an article earlier this year about like the breakout of him, and it hasn't stuck because you know, he's kind of fallen off a little bit. July, it's a fifty WRC plus so far. It was a seventy four in May, but we've seen flashes. I think it was the first couple weeks of the year. Cam Smith was a hot fab guy in like week one or week two or three, and he kind of fell up a little bit. But the bat speed gains, the raised launch angle this year, the hard hit rate, barrel ray going up. This feels like the year before with Jordan, because you look at Jordan Walker did last season and it's kind of the same thing. Like he had really good bad speed. It was an increase in bad speed. He went from seventy seven to seventy eight from twenty four to twenty five. The barrel went up, the heart e rate went up, and it was like he was on the precipice. It wasn't there, and obviously he had a sixty six WRC plus. He needed some fine tuning. But Cam Smith coming into that already at an eighty seven WRC plus, a guy who got traded and had to learn a new position and all this stuff and in the major star yeah, like you know, it's almost like Andrew Vaughan with the White Sox, like, oh, we have Jose Bray you now, so you're gonna be a right fielder and Cam Smith has to change positions. He's traded for Kyle Tucker. A lot of pressure still so young, Like this was not meant to be a Cam Smith discussion.
Speaker 2: No, but I'm I'm with you, dude. This is taking my hand.
Speaker 3: I'm putting a little star next to him mentally that I want to keep tabs on this because you know, you have to look at that second and third level. We just talked about how much we like WRC plus, but it doesn't tell you everything. It starts to story. Okay, he his WRC plus sucks. Well, what's under the hood. And when we start to look under the hood, there might be an engine here worth buying into. Put a little elbow grease on it, and all of a sudden we got a guy. Because here's the thing too. In his uh six hundred game or six hundred point appearance average. He's fifteen to twelve cam Smith is, and so if he is hitting them, that's with an eighty seven WRC plus if he's closer to one hundred or one ten even which isn't even a stud that's like average.
Speaker 2: How's he not a twenty twenty guy?
Speaker 3: Then, let alone the ceiling to go way higher if things break out. So, yeah, you totally sold me just on that one metric and what it could mean for cam Smith with the skills we've seen around it.
Speaker 1: Last piece I will say on cam Smith because I mean, I could honestly spend a lot of time talking about him, but from last year to this year, it's it looks like he's taking a downward trajectory. If you just look like, oh, the batting average is worse, the on base percentage is worse, longercentage is about the same. But Walker kind of did the same thing for a couple of years. Yeah, it looked like he was sputtering. It looked like the career was kind of like, Okay, he might end up being a little bit of a bus but you got to stick with these guys. They're still so young. Walker is twenty four, Cam Smith is twenty three. These are still so young. I'm not saying like, all right, Jared Kelvick is gonna figure out, Like not everybody is gonna work right out, but cam Smith, when they have the skills below the surface, it really really is piquing my interest here with cam Smith. I want to hop into a draft right now actually for next year, just so I can take cam Smith.
Speaker 3: This is a real by low too, because you know, it's easy to say by low when somebody has a two point fifty wOBA and a four hundred expected wOBA, it's like, okay.
Speaker 2: Cool, and hey, I've done that too.
Speaker 3: I'm not I sound more sarcastic than I'm trying to be, but like, really, the only thing to cling here is prospect pedigree, some decent counting stats for camp Smith and this Batspeed piece, but you can truly buy low. There's no way somebody's gonna be asking a big price in the market right now if you go try to get him in a Keeper of Dynasty league, there's just no way they might ask for like a real piece back. But nobody's gonna be asking for premium, not what it was when the prospect hype was built up last year when he was first coming up, or at the beginning of this year when he had like four homers and four steels relatively quickly.
Speaker 2: So I'm totally with you.
Speaker 3: We did not mean to make this a camp Smith bitch.
Speaker 1: That is all we do, though, will I will stamp that.
Speaker 3: I'll stamp that part by saying, I do think PCA that as long as he doesn't collapse like he did last year, and I mean collapse, he can regress. But as long as he doesn't collapse, I think he's a first rounder. I think Jordan Walker is going to be like a third fourth rounder type and I'll be probably happy to pay that because he also has some sneaky speed too. He has thirteen steals. He had ten last year. He was ten for thirteen. He knows how to run again the Derek Lee comps run across the board for me with him and Derek Lee had some sneaky steel seasons. People remember him as a nice power guy, but he had a four year run of nineteen twenty one, twelve and fifteen steals from a big burly first baseman.
Speaker 2: So Jaywalk Derek Lee two point zero baby, He is.
Speaker 1: Just an athlete like six six, two fifty, Like he's a pretty unit. But ninety ninth percentile arm strength, one hundred percentile bat speed, ninety eighth average ex at velocity, and ninety second percentile sprint speed. He is just a true package. Now, the defense as a whole, I don't think is that great, but he feels like a guy who could develop into five tools. Typically. We spent a long time there, so let's move on and talk about Jordan Alvarez and Byron Buxton, the guys who are the quote unquote injury concerns who have stayed healthy. With Buckston, I mean, you're gonna get a couple of eye also, he's gotten nicked ub Yeah, but by and large, like seventy five games, he has twenty five bombs, seven steals, he's hitting two seventy one. And then Jordan Alvarez, it's just you know, a god one eighty six WRC plus that's like the Judge Judge Otani levels. Yeah, like it's that type of It's probably a tier of one right now with Judge out, when Judge's back, as the two of them, and I think they're both a half step ahead of Otani even but what do we do with this going forward for guys who historically have been pretty banged up, especially Buxton. I mean, we went a decade without Buckston playing one hundred games, and now he seems to have done it a couple times in a row. But he's also gonna be thirty three next year. That Jordon's gonna be hidden. Jordon's gonna be hitting thirty. So are they gonna be more fades? Especially because Jordon's gonna be a first rounder next.
Speaker 3: Year at Bucks, he is only gonna be like second third.
Speaker 1: Second third depends on the second half goes fades.
Speaker 3: Let's say he gets through this this ile stint.
Speaker 2: I don't think it was a big injury.
Speaker 3: Let's say he gets off of this pretty clean, comes back, does more of this big damage. I think we could see some second third round Buckston. They're both gonna be fades for me, though Alvarez's knees are forty five years old, man, and like, look, I'm not gonna roast anybody for taking him because we cannot predict the future. And looking out Grady is this year because I had the same take coming into this year.
Speaker 2: I love him.
Speaker 3: He's a great player, I'm terrified of him, and so I missed out on thirty one homers and seventy ribs in the first half. That danger is not gonna wane. It's only gonna get worse with those knees. And then, like you said, Buxton, we do not have enough time to go over all of his injuries, and even with the two one hundred game seasons these last two years, it's only one two and one twenty six.
Speaker 2: He just can do so much and so little.
Speaker 3: He's the present day Eric Davis, which is a compliment but also a warning to be nervous because Eric Davis struggled to play full seasons. He was great in the times that he played, But do you want to invest that much draft capital bucks then a lot more appealing when he's more of a mid rounder and you can take that shot on it. But when you're paying that firm third, fourth round, maybe even second round if he has a great second half, I don't think I can get there. And Alvarez as a top three, four five pick. I'm just too scared of the knees.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 3: That maybe too simplistic, but I don't know why that's wrong.
Speaker 2: To be worried about his body.
Speaker 1: Still no, And it's like the Dylan Ces type of thing or the even an odd year Nola, like you buy the dip. Last year was the dip on Alvarez. That was the year to buy. It was the year to buy Mazarowski and Burns and those guys too. But Alvarez is not going to be anywhere close to a fourth rounder again. I mean maybe if he gets he will be, but I think he's got enough good will at this point that even if he did miss the final to.
Speaker 3: Be end of the year devastating injury.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like he's gonna be a first rounder. Yeah, maybe he falls into like the one two turn, But like, regardless, he's gonna be expensive. He's gonna be really really expensive. And I don't really see what the point isn't paying that. Also, Houston as a whole, they used to be this juggernaut offensively that if you had a piece of the Houston lineup, it was like, holy crap, he's got the A.
Speaker 3: And for the first two months this year too, by the way, I should point out, for the first two months they were up there. They eventually faded, but it was looking like they might be again. But they just lost too many people. They're too thin. It really is, you know, Alrez trying to put the team on his back with a few with a few guys with him, but he doesn't really have a second guy there.
Speaker 2: And then Correa got hurt.
Speaker 3: You know, Partez, Panya Walker, They're fine, but he does not really have a Robin right now.
Speaker 1: There's no Tucker, there's no Springer, there's no Bregman. This is not h the teams that we were seeing over the last decade in Houston, they're they're at the end of their quote unquote dynasty. Al Twove is still not bad, but like, this is not a this is not a lineup where you look at it. It's like, oh, he's gonna boost up his runs and RBI simply by existing in that lineup. He's gonna have a lot of them regardless. But he doesn't get the plus being an astro that he would have a couple of years ago. And then Buxton, who has declared unequivocally he wants to be a Twin forever even though they are literally the Titanic. I don't get it, but it's not gonna be good.
Speaker 3: I don't bag on players when they don't want to leave. I don't think you should have to want to leave.
Speaker 1: Maybe not, maybe not, And why.
Speaker 2: You have to only seek out winning.
Speaker 1: Championship for me again, for you, for you, for me, for me.
Speaker 3: For me.
Speaker 1: I would see it is the ultimate goal of winning, of being in this league, especially after you've made your millions like Buckston has, you would think it would be to get a ring.
Speaker 3: He wants to win, and I'm not saying that that's a realistic dream, But like I don't like bagging on players who don't want to leave, first off, when they play long enough to earn that right, especially which he has. He's a ten to five guy, ten years in the league, five with the same team. Listen, moving sounds like a it's always a nightmare moving in season. I don't know what his family situation, if he has a wife, kids and all that that throw on extra If so, though, because that's an extra nightmare.
Speaker 2: So I get it.
Speaker 3: Maybe an offseason where he says, Okay, we can kind of plan this whole thing out and decide. But I totally get not wanting to be traded mid season. That seems like hell and b shots to the guys who can handle it. Every year you know or regular. We've seen so Laier get traded twice. I think both times to the braces. I wonder if they'll go get him a third time this year. Like some guys can handle it and thrive with it and respect. But I understand Buckston knows who he is and he's like, I'm not going anywhere, And.
Speaker 1: That's probably the fair take. I just I would view it if I was a professional athlet I would think, especially if I was a guy who was already financially secure, you'd think, I want a championship. Sure, but he's he wants to stay in Minnesota.
Speaker 3: So what if he wants to secure that legacy in Minnesota that might not include a championship, but maybe has fifteen years of spars but impact play when.
Speaker 1: He was playing fifteen years in the three hundred and seventy two games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fifteen years and four total seasons of games.
Speaker 1: No, true, I don't. I don't mean to bag on him like he is. If he was healthy his whole career, I think he'd probably be a first ballot Hall of Fame. I think so just so talented athletically coming up, and we've seen it these last couple of years now that he's on the wrong side of thirty, putting up a thirty five to twenty five season last year and not even a whole year like he's so talented. But the team around him next year to go back to the initial point, I don't expect it to be a really good team either. So it's kind of Buxton has to do all of this on his own because I imagine Jeffers is going to probably get shipped out, and he's kind of the only guy that I think.
Speaker 3: Is that.
Speaker 2: Fully depends on how they're a game under.
Speaker 3: They're in a way better situation than both of our teams that we said aren't going to sell, So I don't know why they got to. Now we get extra time. The deadline is the third of August, so there's extra time. These teams are gonna take every moment that they can. But I think it would be tough to go in there and tell the guys that you're gonna sell Jeffers right now, I think you got not that they're legit World Series contenders, but once you get in the dance, you never know, And so I think they owe it to that team to at least play it out here till about July twenty eight, twenty ninth, they kind of see where they're at before they start moving Jeffers and maybe like an Ober or Joe Ryan. Obviously Joe Ryan will get a lot, so they could do that thing. Remember when the Tigers traded Flaherty and then made the run. They could trade Joe Ryan, get impact talent for this year, fill in two spots, and then still make a run. I know that's it would still strike morale in the clubhouse to see their big dude go. But they could definitely do that play that sort of one foot in, one foot out type of vibe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess that's true. I don't know. I feel like the way that the wind has been blowing. Maybe it's just media bs, but it feels like they are positioned more to move off of some of the expiring deals that could not end up coming to fruition. Even if we go into next year with the team as currently constructed or roughly this team, I don't think they're a great team. I don't think I don't great offense, as all had a pretty good offensive season. To their credit, they have a one oh five w RC plus I don't see them as a great offensive unit. And the overall point is, I just don't think that we could see like a hundred plus runs and a hundred plus rbi, especially considering a good point the likely time he's gonna miss. And as a second rounder, I'm kind of hoping for a hundred runs and a hundred RBI. So mm hmm, they're they're both. They're both generally gonna be on the fade for me. But if you can only take one or the other, who do you trust more? From a health perspective? Is it your on or is it busting you think?
Speaker 2: I think I would go for for Alvarez more. It is his knees.
Speaker 3: It's pretty specifically that with Bucks and it's I mean, he's the operation guy from that old, that old game, like everything is ailing him, you know, not right now, of course, thankfully.
Speaker 2: I mean he is on the il. But it's not like I forget what it was.
Speaker 3: I should look it up before I keep saying it wasn't a major injury. But yeah, it would be Alvarez. But that price is so high that it'd be tough. But he is the one I would pay for.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's wrap it up here with a couple of rapid fire ones. Okay, it's the top top twenty wanton rapid fire relative to you and I to us, it might be that might that might be a half hour.
Speaker 3: But injury, by the way, is what he has and it's not supposed to keep him out for a super long time. Should be eligible to return pretty much at the ten days here, which is right after the break.
Speaker 2: Sorry, go ahead, Okay, that's really good.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, that's goot. This good context because I wasn't sure what it was either the top twenty guys who have been washed out, it's mostly due to injury this year, and they're for the that really come to mind. Hm, you could probably you could probably add a couple more like I could probably have Vladi in here, But I've spoken enough about him and I'm sick of talking about him. So let's talk about Aaron Judge, Ronald Acunia Junior, Garrett Crochet, and cal Rawley. These were all drafted as cornerstones either first or second round picks, and Judge, Acunya and Crochet's case almost exclusively first round picks, and then Raleigh usually more into the second. How will this impact their price? And I guess with Judge. You also got a factor in the age thing here because Aaron Judge is probably older than you realize. He was debuted I think he was twenty five or twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, twenty four debut for twenty seven games, but then his first full season age twenty five.
Speaker 1: Or twenty five. So he's gonna he's thirty four coming off of what'll be, uh mostly a washed out injury season. And you know, when you look at twenty twenty one, actually didn't miss that much time in twenty one. It was more twenty nineteen and twenty eighteen where he did miss significant time. Twenty three it was the I think he ran into the outfield at Dodgers Stadium. He like ros a toe on the wall or something like that. But we have seen injuries from him. We've also seen like he's arguably the greatest right handed hitter who's ever lived. So is he still I think he's still a first round pick? Is he still gonna be in the conversation for the one oh one though? If he ends the season healthy, because usually the last couple of years it's been judged versus o TAWNI, could you make the argument for taking him at number one after the year we've seen.
Speaker 3: Yes, if he finishes on the field being Aaron Judge, I think it won't be hard for a decent contingent of fantasy managers to say he's in the one to one conversation again, because yes, I'll be thirty five, and yes he's got some injuries under his belt as well, but he is so good, he's so unbelievable.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna be fade and Judge.
Speaker 3: Now, the other three on this list probably gonna be pretty easy fades for me, almost assuredly, depending on where they go. But Judge is one that, even at the extreme price, which is probably gonna be a top three, four or five pick depending on how he finishes the season, I can still get there if I see the Aaron Judge that I want in October, because I assume the ankles a make the playoffs. We'll see, but I assume and he's there doing Aaron Judge things, and I mean being good. And I know he's had some playoff struggles. That wasn't a diss on him, But as long as he's upright and playing, he's in contention for one of those top three picks. For me.
Speaker 1: Acuni is also really interesting because we obviously know the ceiling. But it's been three straight years now of this type of you know he's not gonna plays. I just I don't think I can do it anymore, especially paying exhorbited. It's exactly that I could be. I'm sorry, I keep up, but drafted though I know you're good, you're good. Where do you think he's going drafted next year? Is he a second round or maybe third?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: And that's the thing, like you said, people keep paying the premium form, and for years, going back to Bufston real Quick, we kept paying the premium form, so it was hard to even get discounts on him. It finally took until last year and then he broke out and really paid off the people that stuck with him. But with a Kunya like, the talent is still there. I'm not suggesting that he's a scrub. Seven and fifteen isn't bad, but he's fifteen for twenty two on the basis you want to talk about some Swiss cheese knees. He's had major surgeries on both and I was roasting Alvarez on his he doesn't want to use his Alvarez all he needs to do is trot and rip easy doubles into the gap that he can coast into. Acunya's legs are a key component of his game. He's going to be twenty nine, which isn't old, but he does have ten years in the league now. You know it'll be going into his tenth year, I should say. And so I don't see I don't see myself taking him really anywhere, barring just a huge collapse in price, which would probably take another catastrophic injury because he's already working his way back on rehab right now. Hit A Homer should be back in the second half, and we'll probably do a lot of fun Acunya things. But I don't see myself drafting him. I can't get there.
Speaker 1: I think I'm there too, and I think I'm there for Crochet as well, like I wanted to be in on Crochet. I love him, but all these setbacks and he's not even throwing the ball and it just looks really And they said he won't need surgery, but I don't know, we've heard that before.
Speaker 2: No, I really don't think so. And you know, at this point, what do we have? One season?
Speaker 3: Well, two, that's unfair to say one the twenty twenty four was at least two thirds of a season. I know that third coming down the stretch there he was basically shelved, which I was actually fine with, you know, And I totally respected him when he said, if you're gonna trade me, give me a deal, let me get it. You know, I had no problem with that. He was advocating for themselves exactly like he knows, like picture, when you throw this hard. We just got done talking about with Miz. For as exciting as it can be to talk about miss and Schlitzler, crochet is that cold water of like, yeah, it doesn't always go perfectly, even when the skills are immaculate, and they are, and I know that his six starts that he had this year one thing, I throw it all out injury wash out season. But it's another injury wash out season. So I don't think he's gonna go super cheap crochet. And so that's a part of why too. If I thought there was going to be some sort of substantial discount, sure, but do you think he gets past Let's just say that. Let's say he comes back this year September, and he's fine He's not elite. He's kind of like what Schoobl's been since returning from his injury. Fine, but not Schoobl. You know what if he does that, they don't make the playoffs. You know they could, but let's just say they don't and we're go into next year with him having ended the season healthy. Do you think Crochet is going to go later than the third round? I don't, and in which case I don't think I can get there.
Speaker 1: I mean, the horrible comp and I hate to say it is Cole Reagan of course, right, it's the bright lefty that pops off for a year or two. And Cole Reagan's has still been expensive over the last couple of years. Even last year was a bad injury washed out year, and Reagan's was still a fourth rounder. And I think his peak is it is better. I one of my most rostered pitchers this year, a huge l But Crochet, I think at his peak is a better pitcher than Reagan's. Agreed, No, it's arguable, but I think Crochet is a little bit better. So yeah, the price will be higher assuming he finishes the year healthy. Now the other side of that coin, what if we don't see him again this year. Then I think we're starting scared.
Speaker 3: Yes, then things start to get interesting because then I wonder if it's more an eight to eleven round range, and then all of a sudden, you know it's a little bit of wide range there building in. But then all of a sudden, I start to look at things quite a bit differently where I can take that risk, because once you start to get in those middle to late rounds, you know that not all those guys are going to be on your team all year anyway. You don't just take flyers or anything, not saying that you would want to do that, but like you could go for a potential ace hoping to spike it big with him, that would be a by the dip situation. But anything in those first four or five rounds with Crochet, I'm probably looking elsewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I have to agree. Unfortunately, as much as I'd love to continue to draft him, it's just it doesn't feel good. It really doesn't feel like a good situation. But this is one where we really do need to see the second half, because if he starts five games at the end of the year looks brilliant, then you might see him in the second because people are crazy.
Speaker 3: Well, we saw what happen with Bradish, and I was part of it, so I'm not throwing stones at anybody.
Speaker 2: He had six excellent starts down the stretch.
Speaker 3: We thought that that magically fixed him and should have been more cautious on it, for sure, But he was a top twenty pitcher and it wasn't just me and a few other end was his ADP was I think SP twenty one, so like I was at SP seventeen, you know, so I was higher, but like the market was hot on him too.
Speaker 2: I would be careful of wanting to do that with Crochet, but I think that's exactly what happened.
Speaker 3: You're right, if he came back showed himself to be Crochet, He's right back in the second round.
Speaker 1: I bet one more name and we will wrap it up here, and it's cal Rawley. And this one is so puzzling from a number of perspectives because I don't think anybody expected another sixty bombs. But cal Rawley has always been a good Major League hitter. On twenty two worc plus one, fourteen, one, eighteen and one sixty one last year and then down to seventy one, and I think Paul it feels like there was an injury going back before the season or something. I know he has missed some time with the injury. The bat speed has gone down, the average exit velocity, barrel heard, hit rate, every important stat that we cite is down. He's chasing more, worse contact within the zone, worse contact in general. I feel like this is one where I will probably buy the dip in the two catcher leagues if he's like a you know, pick one hundred and ten next year or something, which maybe you won't fall that far. But if he does happen to fall, well, okay, here's an interesting one. Next year. Would you rather have Dingler or I knew you were going to do that.
Speaker 2: I knew it.
Speaker 3: Oh man, you know, I think I go Dingler. And maybe I'm a little bit influenced by this year. I'm not saying their performances this year. I'm talking more about the batting average. I've whined incessantly about my main event betting. I'd talked about it earlier, but I am struck by that. And I've had a batting average problem in the last couple of years. This nothing like this, but I am clearly making draft decisions where I'm a shooting batting average too much and I'm winding up in these situations.
Speaker 2: And then this year was just a.
Speaker 3: Collection of awfulness with Meryl, Trey Turner, and Machado sinking completely, and I think that would be the reason for me to go Dingler. We never thought sixty was coming again, but I had him down for another thirty. I was like, even if he hits two thirty and thirty, that's not a second round pick, but like, that won't kill your season. I'm with you, rallies injured if you know has been injured this year that.
Speaker 2: Has caused this.
Speaker 3: If he does go down though into that let's say, you know, one ten to one twenty range, that does become a lot more appealing. And I can also see myself doubling the two up, taking Dingler and Raleigh together like a one safe quote unquote and then one risky type of vibe there right in the middle of the draft. Secure both my catchers and see what I can get out of them as a combo.
Speaker 2: A lot will depend on what we get.
Speaker 3: From Raleigh the rest of the year, but I'm not totally out that is going to be very much price dependent will the market. Like let's say he stays pretty bad and ends the season with like an eighty nine WRC plus twenty one homers. You know that would still give him ten to eleven twelve down the stretch here, but like nothing special to write home about. I could see the price createring because if you really think about it, it's only one transcendent season. Thirty four one hundred with two twenty and twenty twenty four was good, but two twenty's pretty tough even in today's average environment. Two twenty is still bad. So the thirty four to one hundred good, but it can only do so much, so I will be open to buying the DIMP, but I really want to see where it goes with rally. And if you put me to it right now and say, hey, fifth sixth round, maybe you no.
Speaker 1: Feels a little rich? Yeah, Like he hasn't really picked things up in July. It's only ten games but one homer hitting two hundred in June, fourteen games yet one seventy four with one homer just bad, just really bad. So I do think you will turn it around. I do think the price will be cheaper, but let us know down below. What do you think who would you rather have? Between Cal Rawley and Dylan Dingler. I want to start a fight in the comments. We'll see if it happens. But Paul, thank you so much for joining me today. It was a lot of fun putting you in the analyst chair instead of the usual verse that we have. But let people know where they can keep up with you. Any work upcoming that you'd like to plug that people should be keeping a lookout for.
Speaker 3: Should have an spachart update next week. I was gonna get it done this week, but I'm at my sisters and I'm on my laptop. It's a nightmare. Dude. I like to have my big setup, my multiple monitors working on my desktop, so I'm not gonna be doing that this week. I said, I really wanted to take a break, So next week starting picture ranking update. Over at fangraps. I do my speachart daily back tomorrow. Is this gonna come out on Thursday? The sixteenth?
Speaker 2: Thursday? Gonna come out on Friday?
Speaker 3: Should be Friday, okay, So then the speachart is up now for Friday's games, and I do that Monday through Friday over at fangraps. I do the podcast with you and Justin of course, and so yeah, just follow me on fangrass. I am on Twitter and Instagram, but I don't really go on them as much anymore.
Speaker 2: I really hate Twitter.
Speaker 3: I know, I tell you that all the time, but you know, I like to go look at Wiener dog picks on Instagram and thankfully my feed is littered with just a bunch of stupid Wiener dogs and they're so hilariously adorable. Yeah, follow me on social but definitely come over to fangraft and I'm always in my comments, so you wanna, hey, why you're ranking this guy here? I got this guy in a twelve team and I'm debating these two. I'm always in there answering questions.
Speaker 1: Paul is truly one of the best. You definitely should be following this work at spore. He's just, you know, one of my dear friends in the space. So it's really good to do a little bit of one on one action here for the first time and been a minute a while a while since it's been just one on one, but great stuff, Paul, Thank you so much. Make sure you guys are following along on Twitter. I'm at Joel Rico ninety nine, not that I use it so much, but we'll share out the show links and stuff. Phill John bangers at Sport. I still got the fastball. I could still throw one on the corner, but that will do it for us for today. For Paul Sport, I'm Joe Rico. We'll talk to you next time right here on the Fantasy Pros Baseball Podcast. Take it easy, everybody.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening to the Fantasy Pros Fantasy Baseball Podcast. If you love the show, the best freeway to support us is by leaving a positive review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify. Follow us on x, Instagram, and TikTok at Fantasy Pros, and subscribe to our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash Fantasy Pros MLB