Speaker 1: Writer, Has Indie started school? Oh? Yeah, ok? Week two? Okay, so you started on the twelve? Yeah, so soon everyone starts school in August? Now, wasn't it early? Laborde? It's such a thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, the amount of conversations I have with parents about this fact.
Speaker 1: It's so annoying. It's so dumb. We should just start.
Speaker 2: We should have year round school really and just take like four week breaks in between quarters or whatever.
Speaker 1: It's so weird. Well, yeah, it wasn't it. All this was based on being able to farm, wasn't it. No, Like, no joke. And I think that's where the school year was set up, is so that the kids work. They could work, Yeah, they could work the fields ridiculously early. And it's stupid because it actually costs.
Speaker 2: The the district a lot of money because of air conditioning costs because we have to air condition all through August. If we started at your labor day, it'd be so much cooler. But then we have four weeks off for Christmas, which makes no sense. We come back from like New Year's and we end up having like twelve days before.
Speaker 1: You know, are you honestly sitting here and saying something? In California isn't run efficiently. Can I don't buy that rider? I don't buy it. By the way, let's get on that new train.
Speaker 3: Adler had his first day of kindergarten today. We dropped him off and he made a friend. First of all, the friend he made is a basketball phenom.
Speaker 1: So in kindergarten, he's.
Speaker 3: So he's two years older than either I think he's in or maybe he's just one year. He's in first grade. We get there and nobody. Of course I'm early, you know me, what time do we need to be there? Seven thirty? We'll be there at seven twenty two. So we get there at seven twenty two, nobody's there and owl. Immediately we're on a basketball court and now there goes, I want a bask Let's go get a basketball.
Speaker 4: So he does.
Speaker 3: He goes and he gets a basketball and he starts shooting baskets, and all of a sudden, this kid comes up and he's like, can I play? And others like yeah, and he other shoots the like passes the basketball to him and the kid starts dribbling in between his leg just like yeah, like a pro.
Speaker 1: And like.
Speaker 3: Aler can barely throw the ball over his head. He tries to throw, He's like, I'm not very good, and I'm like, oh no, this is Odler, who's already a perfectionist, who we have to tell him you're not going to be good at everything you try right away. That's what practice is for, Like we already have to work on that.
Speaker 1: Now. The first kid he plays.
Speaker 3: With is like an abim and now there's like, I don't want to do this anymore.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to come out. Thankfully, the kid was so sweet. I was worried he was.
Speaker 4: Going to be like I'm better than you, I'm.
Speaker 1: Olderbody, exactly exactly. He was so nice. He was like, why don't you come here?
Speaker 4: And he shot.
Speaker 3: He told him like how to get under the basket kind of close toward like a layup, and how.
Speaker 1: To shoot it.
Speaker 3: And within two little tips from the kid, Adler made two baskets back to back after not even being able to get the basketball up high enough to touch the rim.
Speaker 1: So it was great because we felt.
Speaker 2: It's a really ultimately very sweet one on one. If they're in a group, it's death, then it's on.
Speaker 1: And you can also say I think adults are like that too, and giant groups of people that's true. I have a question, Danielle what I mean. I know it's his first day, but what what do you what are the significant differences between like nursery, school or where he came and kindergarten. I mean, longer nap time. They still do nap time, because that's.
Speaker 3: That's times gone, that's we now know where it happens. At five is where it starts to go wrong. No more naps. It's also that now his kindergarten is with all the same the grades up through five. The preschool is the only part that's separated, so he is now officially a very small fish in a bigger pond. And yeah, no naps, more structure, so definitely more learning going on every day, although at his preschool there was some significant learning too, like either did learn to read in his preschool, but now they're going to really be focusing in on math and some reading. There's still no homework, which is good. Yeah, and just yeah, we had a meeting with the teachers beforehand and they were like, what do you want him to focus on this year? And I said, I really would just want him to focus on like learning to be a really good friend and spotting other kids that may need a little help and knowing how to go to them and be a kind kid.
Speaker 4: I just that's for kindergarten, that's what I want.
Speaker 1: Of course.
Speaker 4: Sure, if he can.
Speaker 3: Really solidify the reading that he's learned a little bit in preschool, great, But that's essentially it. I mostly want him to focus on. Like my hope for my kids are that they are the kind of kids that see another kid who's maybe struggling and aren't a kid that piles on or makes it worse for that kid, but instead is like, can I help you?
Speaker 4: Do you need a friend?
Speaker 1: Like he's an emotional support addler. Correct, that's exactly what I want. I want Does he need a little vest? Mean to get him a little veast?
Speaker 4: And that's that we'd be able to bring him on planes exactly, I have.
Speaker 1: To bring into restaurants and stuff like that, Like he's allowed in Costco. He's an emotional support addler.
Speaker 3: I mean it.
Speaker 4: I want him to be that way just for me.
Speaker 1: I think that's great, that would work. Like now, I've been watching obviously a lot of Disney Channel original movies. Yes, at what age do they start teaching them all the singing and dancing routines for high choreography. How do they like, does that start now like early? Or he goes straight from karate into Broadway musical? Perfect? Perfect? Okay, good. I just want to make sure that we're all on board. Good God. Kindergarten is all about socializing. That's the whole point.
Speaker 2: It's just and just learning to like sit still for longer than you know two minutes.
Speaker 1: Do you remember your kindergarten teacher? Can you remember like even names? Yeah, missus Parker, she sucked, man, so honest, the kindergarten teacher suck. I had a horrible kindergarten here. Yeah, what happened to you in kindergarten? I got kicked out. It was bad, Like I got kicked out of kindergarten. What did you do?
Speaker 2: Were you correcting the turble's office multiple times?
Speaker 3: I was Were they trying to do astrology or something? But as they're talking to somebody, make you say the pledge of allegiance. It wasn't grappling hook making day.
Speaker 1: I was just a trouble maker. I was were you just were you like, uh, the class clown kind of thing, and that's what was getting you kicked out? No, I was just you know, I was just a monster.
Speaker 2: I was in love with girls already, so I was just like, I don't know, I just care about my social life more than following the rules or doing anything. And you know, the joke is like it was the best thing for me to get in trouble because I had so much like guilt and shame about getting suspended from kindergarten that like, you know, and by the third time I got in trouble, like well, at the second time I got in trouble, I got sent to the principal's office.
Speaker 1: Was always just so terrifying.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, my parents were like, right, or what are we gonna do? You decide the punishment if you if you, you know, get in trouble again, I said, well, I'd have to go into my room and not come out all day. And so of course when I got in trouble again, it was like I had to go. And I remember it was like, right, I did this to myself, and it was like such a good lesson. And then I never really I mean first grade, I would get benched sometimes, but I was so terrified of getting in trouble that I became like a super rule follower still to this day. Yeah, I get nervous going through security at the airport, Like I always feel like I'm guilty and I've done nothing wrong, so I'm like and I you know, so it ended up being good for me to like experiment in kindergarten. But my teacher was just not very patient, and you know whatever, I.
Speaker 1: Was probably such a little paid in the ass. You're the only person I know to get kicked out of kindergarten ever, and the last person I would have picked to have that happened. I know, but it was out of Kindergary. It put me in line. It got me in line. How about you, Danielle, who's your teacher? I don't remember. You can't remember the name?
Speaker 4: Huh No, I don't remember. I have no memories, Yeah, memories at all. I don't know.
Speaker 1: We had the same one. My both my brothers and I all had missus Mullins. And in my head, she was eighty five years old, and I'm sure she was probably like late twenties.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad you said that. I do remember that. I think she was eighty five years old. I don't remember her name, but she was a thousand years old.
Speaker 4: And my mom.
Speaker 3: My mom said to me, Danielle, she was in her forties. My mom actually said, I don't even think she was in her forties.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: But then I saw a picture. My mom was like, here, here's the lady who thought was eighty five. And I saw the picture of her and I was like, I'm definitely not thinking forties.
Speaker 1: Still, I still think she was older than that, but I do.
Speaker 3: That's where I met my best friend, Jessica, my best friend throughout my whole childhood. Jessica and I heard the story so much I feel like I have a memory of it, but I don't really. But we got dropped off and we were in front of each other in line up, and Jessica started to cry and she turned around and I said, please do not cry, because if you cry, then I'm crying. And so we just kind of like held lands together and made it through kindergarten together, and we were best friends all through elementary school.
Speaker 2: So I have a very vivid memory that just came back to me. We were waiting in line to go outside and we were handed jump ropes and told, of course, don't jump rope inside.
Speaker 1: Well, I threw back jump rope.
Speaker 2: And all the paint cans and pulled it down, and so I was I just remember getting pounded by you know, all these like paint cants and just covered in paint head to toe sitting there and I'm like in pain. I immediately start bawling, and the teacher grabs me by the shoulder and turns to everybody and says.
Speaker 1: You see, this is why we don't jump. And I just remember being like loved pain. I'm covered in paint.
Speaker 2: Like and she just immediately made an example out of me and just further humiliated me in front of the whole class. And I just remember my dad had to come bring me clothes and I was like changing in the bathroom, still crying, just feeling awful. So like there was.
Speaker 1: No sympathy for a missus Parker, No like, hey, how are you doing? Are you okay? Did you hurt yourself? Who's just let's make an example of writer. The troubles so much fun, these stories, it's just so much fun.
Speaker 4: I'm so sorry, writer, are you okay?
Speaker 1: I got through it. You need an emotional support, Adler, so you can get you. You can't get you one.
Speaker 2: Great because Indy is not an emotional support, like say at nine, it's just drain, It's just how can I stress you out?
Speaker 1: Why are you not feeling what I'm feeling? Let me make you feel it. Oh, welcome to pod Meets World. I'm Danielle Fischel, I'm Rider Strong, and I'm wil Fredell. Oh.
Speaker 3: Today we are here to recap season five, episode twelve, Raging Cory. It originally aired January ninth, nineteen ninety eight. I cannot believe we are now recapping episodes that aired in ninety eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Crazy.
Speaker 4: The synopsis.
Speaker 3: Alan is forced to reevaluate himself as a father when he notices that his relationship with his sons is lacking. Also, Sean and Jack have to share a room. It was directed by David Kendall. It was written by Barbie Feldman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Barbie, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Before we jump into our guest stars, did you guys have any overall thoughts?
Speaker 1: Perfect episode. I loved it, top five loved it, Top five episode of all time for me. I so it's so good season five starting to come along.
Speaker 2: I just thought this was by far the best episode of season five. Yeah, and like I said, top five episode of the.
Speaker 1: Show for me. You think it's better than the per episode. Yes, I do.
Speaker 2: Wow, really, yeah, I think it was really well balanced height, it's well balanced. Yep, it's all based in character. It's just everything, and then it has all the boy meets world heart at the end.
Speaker 1: It's clever. It's a story is great. The B story's great. They fins Bill perfectly like it is so good. I loved this episode.
Speaker 3: I really liked it too. I don't think I loved it quite as much as you guys did. And my only real complaint about it is the B storyline. I loved, But I'm just not sure why they had to be trapped in.
Speaker 4: That one room.
Speaker 3: Why couldn't Why couldn't we see your differences come into play in the kitchen as well, the way you cook differently or the like. I felt like we were seeing kind of the same scene again because we were in the same room and it was still so my issue was like just a set issue. It was like, I know the living room exists this week because we see you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so was it different? We'll get into that, Okay. Did it seem like it was painted? I think the whole apartment seemed lighter. Was it a different color something? It seemed like it went from tan to white, and I could totally be wrong, but it looked more cluttered and a different color, and all of that might be incorrect.
Speaker 2: I think it's just that the solution was the wrestling, and in order to create the wrestling, you just have to have the mattress on the floor.
Speaker 1: And I thought it was great. Too little core. Okay, we'll get in there. Okay, yeah, good, all right.
Speaker 3: So guest starring Steve Park, who is sometimes credited as Steven Park is the jump Master. He's a comedy vet with a resume full of impressive projects. His first role was as Sonny in Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing, which led to becoming a cast member on the legendary sketch show in Living Color. Yep, and this is going to sound odd, but back in nineteen ninety one, he was one of the only Asian actors ever to star on a major television show.
Speaker 1: That's really impressing.
Speaker 4: Yes, is that not the most impressed ninety one?
Speaker 1: It was that late Oh my god.
Speaker 3: He'd appear in movies like Kindergarten, Cop Toys, and Falling Down, but he's best known as the scene stealing Possible psychopath Mike Yanagita in the nineteen ninety six Fargo from the Cohen Brothers.
Speaker 1: It's so good. It's Mike Keigia. Oh god, it was so good.
Speaker 3: If you've ever seen the movie, it would be almost impossible to forget his surreal scene that is truly unhinged. Steven would also appear on TV shows like Martin Friends, Matt About You, and Lawn Order, and recently joined the Wes Anderson Company of frequent collaborators, appearing in both The French Dispatch and Asteroid City.
Speaker 2: Now hold on because that Fargo scene is just legendary, legendary, and it's legendary because it is so bizarre. It comes out of like completely left field.
Speaker 1: But it does.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to remember, Will can you remember? How does that actually connect it? Actually, no, it does.
Speaker 1: It helps her solve the crime.
Speaker 3: No, she realizes she was lied to in that scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, he well, I mean I guess kind of. But what it is?
Speaker 3: She goes back, if I had been lied to by him? Yes, maybe I have been lied to other people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I remember.
Speaker 2: I remember thinking it was like, this is a completely random scene that you could pull out and then be realizing like, oh no, it's essential to her solving.
Speaker 1: The crime and this bizarre like circuitous path but it was it was again, she doesn't learn anything in that scene. She gets a call from her friend afterwards who's like, no, she's fine. He was really harassing her for a while. You should you should call her. She's great because he says, my wife died of leukemia. You know, she thought she hard Margie and and then it was you know, you realize that none of that had actually happened, right, But she hears that that was a lie, and that's what makes her to turn back to the criminals.
Speaker 2: Nice people might also lying, which makes her think that, yeah, what's his name?
Speaker 1: And I remember talking to him specifically about this scene, and because he obviously I was a huge Fargo fan, so I was like, hey, man can and we just started talking about it, and he's like, I was amazed at how many people, he said, when I went to the screening and saw the film later, how many people thought it was funny. He's like, I was playing it as this guy is completely unhinged, playing it straight, and he said it just somehow became a comedy. Said I still don't understand that the magic that is so hard to nail down.
Speaker 2: Yea, And everybody plays it straight, even when it's a very funny scene, they commit as if it's deadly serious.
Speaker 1: And that's why. And you just saw he was unhinged. And every time when he gets up and goes to try to sit next to her and she's like no, no, no, please go. Yeah, just he was great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So jumping into our recap, we are back in the Matthews driveway. I don't remember being here more than once I did.
Speaker 1: But it was a different set than the last garage, wasn't it. Yeah? I think I didn't. I don't remember that little wall that was I remember a little wall. Oh really, I thought it was just you saw the garage door and the hoop that was it, and I thought they expanded it more this time.
Speaker 3: It does seem like maybe it was a different angle where we saw more, like it was a bigger set this time. Oh yeah, yeah, I think the thing maybe there was a different angle to it where we saw more of it this time.
Speaker 4: But but yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, we get to hang out on the driveway quite a bit every episode.
Speaker 1: Now we're in multiple sets. We've never seen before. It is, so, I said to Sue halfway through, I'm like, when's the last time we were at the school? I know, I mean it's been a while.
Speaker 2: That always yuckson wants to do that.
Speaker 1: We it's not, well, yeah, it's I missed the old hall.
Speaker 3: Well, Eric and Allen are playing an intense game of one on one basketball. Corey walks out to find them playing. Okay, I got next, Alan explains there is no next score. This is for the Matthews Championship. Corey emphasizes that he's a Matthews too, and that Eric shoots and scores. Well, yeah, you've got good basket ball for him.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I grew up my mom taught us how to play basketball. My mom played basketball all through high school and everything, so she taught all the boys how to play. We all played. I mean, you look, you look great, thank you.
Speaker 2: But beyond looking great, this celebratory dance moment, Oh, it's the best.
Speaker 1: It's great. It's absolutely great.
Speaker 2: And it was one of those moments I was like, I just want to I watched it like three times.
Speaker 1: I was like, this is so will just.
Speaker 2: Being funny again, Like, what did it say in the script? I can we find a copy of the script. I want to know what it said? Like, was that a line that was written where you just had to say?
Speaker 1: What? Like I did it? I'm the king? But it doesn't matter. You just have such joy. Eric is the King? Is that what it is? You're so funny?
Speaker 2: And I was like, oh my god, I just want to go back and see how this came together.
Speaker 1: Like is that just Will being Will? Like I wish I remember? Don't so fun Oh.
Speaker 3: I'm sure, it says, and he celebrates and I want to celebrate.
Speaker 4: And then that's what Will did.
Speaker 1: So he scores.
Speaker 3: Alan yells no in defeat, Eric does a little celebration dance.
Speaker 2: Eric is the King.
Speaker 3: Alan laughs he'll need a rematch, but Eric reminds him the new season starts tomorrow. They give each other some playful punches, and Eric tells his dad not to get fat in the off season. He runs off to hit the showers, leaving Corey and Allan alone.
Speaker 1: Advice, well, wait wait till we come back, Wait till we come back. I'm not gonna allow you to talk about yourself like that. Well, you're right, I'm sorry. I was too fat not to.
Speaker 4: Hear you that's blocking your ears.
Speaker 1: That's the problem.
Speaker 3: Yet, Corey challenges his dad to a game, but Alan says he's wiped. He just played two hours of racketball with Eric this morning. Corey points out that he was willing to play with Eric again, and Alan argues that's because it was for the championship. Corey tells him this game can be for their championship. He begins to dribble, but Alan stays put. He tells Corey he's got nothing. Corey aggressively passes the ball to his dad and Alan catches it with a tired huff. Maybe tomorrow, all right, Corey pushes back, what if Eric's not around? Alan's confused, but Corey won't elaborate. He tells his dad to just give him the ball. Alan refuses, why so you can throw it at me again. Corey reaches for the ball and tells him to forget it.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: They're in a bit of a tug of war, both pulling for the ball and neither letting go, until Corey gives up and sends Alan flying backwards, falling to the ground on his back. He angrily asks Cory, what's wrong with you? Corey begins to apologize, and then Amy and Eric come walking outside.
Speaker 4: Concerned.
Speaker 3: Amy asks what happened and Alan throws his arms in the air. Ask your son. Alan walks away and everyone is silent until a shocked Eric tells his mom. I swear I don't know anything.
Speaker 1: Did anybody else find? And again it yeah, completely works for the story. But Alan was really tone deaf and harsh to Corey. See, you were waiting for him to be like, look, I'm exhausted now, but we'll play, you know, give me tomorrow, you and me. It was just like, no, I got nothing, I know, And so it was like, wow, No, it wasn't in a bad way. Again, I think that's what they're supposed to.
Speaker 2: Being the father to a son who always wants my attention, you just reach a point where you're like.
Speaker 1: Dude, I've said, I mean, he's he says all the things.
Speaker 2: He's like, I'm just tired, not now, and it's like and he just doesn't Corey doesn't take the hint. I mean, you know, yeah, it's it's it's it's understandable from both sides.
Speaker 1: I think, Oh, no, I agree, but.
Speaker 2: I wish ball had been a little bigger. I actually think because like, there's no sound that would have brought amy.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: So if he had.
Speaker 2: Gone back and pounded against the garage door like right that and then fallen, it would have made money.
Speaker 1: On that makes it as it was.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like it's this is a silent, weird, awkward fall, and you're like, did Corey really do that?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: So I wish I could go back and do a little more stunt work or you know, choreograph that a little better.
Speaker 1: But other than that, I have no complaints.
Speaker 4: Matt thought, Yeah, I do agree.
Speaker 3: I know. I I like you said, writer, I see it from both sides, and as the parent of two sons, I regularly have to remind myself that even if I'm totally exhausted from the thing I just did with one kid, if the other kid also now wants to do that same thing with me, I probably need to do it at least for a little bit, because it does they They do internalize a lot of well, you're doing this with them, and you're and what are you doing with him?
Speaker 1: And what about me?
Speaker 3: And they take a lot of that on and so even if you just say like all right, man, I'm real quick I'm real tired.
Speaker 1: Let's play Best to seven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's not even exactly or horse or something where you're like, I want to I want to spend the time with you, but I don't have the energy to do.
Speaker 4: A full game.
Speaker 3: Because his point that he makes you were just ready to play again with Eric is so valid that you were like, come on, let's go again and you're like, no way, man, it starts tomorrow. And then when you're like, what about me, no, not you? Yeah, that part's hard.
Speaker 1: You know what. The parenting trick that I've learned is when Indy.
Speaker 2: Says like, Dad, let's go blah blah blah, do whatever, and I really don't feel like it. I just say sure, and then whether we do or not, it might not end up happening. And it's but if I say, you know what, man, I'm not going to do it, then it's on a fight.
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 1: So I just kind of habit.
Speaker 2: Like okay, and then like we walk outside to go swimming or do whatever, and then he kind of loses interest and changes his mind during notes, does okay, and then you do it you want.
Speaker 1: It works like a charm.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's a fight. It's like when everybody starts digging it, and that's what I thought. Here is like, you know, Alan didn't feel like playing with Corey. He just said no, hoping that they would.
Speaker 1: Just go away. But Corey's like why not? Why not?
Speaker 2: You know, and then it becomes a thing and then everybody has to dig their heels in.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not going.
Speaker 1: To mention this again because we've talked about it eight thousand times. But Rusty's so good, it's ridiculously He's just such a good actor that every moment is so.
Speaker 3: I'm so happy to have a family episode. It's so nice to not have it be focused on on kid relationship like love relationships. It's so nice to have it be about the family.
Speaker 1: Nice. Ye.
Speaker 4: So then we're in the guy's apartment.
Speaker 3: Seawan's lying on the couch reading a magazine when we hear a terrified scream in a crash.
Speaker 4: Coming from Jack's room. He casually yells.
Speaker 3: Out, oh yeah, the super told me to tell you that the people above us let their bathtub overflow, and whatever you do.
Speaker 4: Jack walks out of his room, not.
Speaker 1: See what magazine I was reading. Could you guys figure it out? I didn't know I didn't look. To be honest, it's like that it's gonna be one of ours. What kind of magazine was Sean reading. I don't know what curious like, didn't they have couples? Was a couples one of them that we had. There wasn't a wedding one. Yeah, it was a wedding one, and there was one called Couples. Yeah. It was very strange.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was. There was a couple of fun little see, we gotta go back.
Speaker 3: So he angrily finishes the sentence, don't poke at the big bubble on my ceiling. Sean wonders, Oh, so you got the message, Jack says, yeah. Just now whole room is flooded and I have half a bathtub hanging over my head sewn shrugs, So stay in my room, and then we optical flip to Sean's rooms.
Speaker 1: Sean's room. Oh my god, just look at that room. It has anxiety filled that room. It's like, oh geez, But.
Speaker 2: I guess I probably lived like this myself. I'm trying to think, like I did not become person no, I mean this is really gross, but yeah, I used to just you know, throw stuff around like I wouldn't care like at that age.
Speaker 1: There's also a big difference between dirty and messy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it both freaked me out, but yeah, stress, yeah, stuff everywhere.
Speaker 3: Oh there are clothes and food piled on the floor and a mattress. Sean's standing happily in the middle of it, while Jack looks around in horror.
Speaker 4: Jack wonders if this is where.
Speaker 3: All the trash tenants put down the shoote ends up, which is a very funny, very funny joke. Sean asks if he's calling him a pig, but Jack argues a pig would never live in here. Sean scoffs, oh yeah, and he pulls back a curtain to reveal a giant pig.
Speaker 1: Do you remember the pig barely? I don't mean I didn't remember this at all, really, Cory, Oh yeah, no, it's so great.
Speaker 2: And by the way, this is exactly what happens when you buy a little pig. Because you know, we got a pay for our backyard school when we were doing that during the pandemic, and man Tosino got bigger and bigger Spanish for bacon, huh yeah, and yeah, and like you know, we don't have the school going anymore. But after two and a half three years of the school going, that pig was getting tusks and getting bigger. It didn't get this dark like you know, but it went from being a cute little pink baby pig too real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: I was going to ask, do we do we think they're trying to imply that this this whole time you've had little course.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think that's exactly what they're saying so much.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 1: By the way, this was I think.
Speaker 4: Things for them to keep continuity on.
Speaker 1: Right. They finally get one right and it's little gory, which means that's the best episode. Oh yeah, that's amazing episode, So comfortable feeling. I mean, his beats is great too. Some of his comedy beats are just spot on in this. And I feel like they've.
Speaker 2: Built on what happened in the last episode, the Christmas episode, where it was like the tension between us, the differences, the France stuff. It's like, oh, finally, this is all what should have been in those.
Speaker 1: First few episodes. That's great.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not played for drama, played for comedy too.
Speaker 1: It's really helpful.
Speaker 4: Where's your bacon Pig now?
Speaker 2: With the teacher started the school on his own property, so he brought the pig to lives with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I haven't seen him for about a year now.
Speaker 3: Jack is terrified and decides he's going to sleep on the couch and on que Corey rushes in, he needs to sleep on their couch because he got into a fight with his dad. Jack says, everyone gets into fights with their dad. Then Corey clarifies that he knocked his dad down.
Speaker 5: Did he?
Speaker 1: I think that's how he feels good. He did.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Jack admits that's not quite as common. Again, great read from Matt and he walks on.
Speaker 2: It's definitely a line rate though, Oh, Michael Jacobs, that's not as common because it's not as common, that's not as combat. It's just like I'm just gonna throw this out there and walk away. I was like that was such a linery yep.
Speaker 3: Corey explains he wanted to play basketball with his dad like Eric does. Sean wants more, wants to know more about this fight, so does he have to leave the house in shamee? Do you get his womaning?
Speaker 2: I just like the everything about this, the fact that like I sit down and start eating crackers. It's like close crackers out of nowhere, and yet it feels like a great Corey Sean scene. But we're not, like, I don't know, we're finally like located somewhere.
Speaker 1: Like we're so.
Speaker 2: Often just standing facing each other in hallways or in and so it was so nice to have us just like actually listening to each other, talking to each other, giving good advice, bad advice, and it's just it's just like amazing. And I don't know, like I just it just felt like I felt relaxed. I felt like everything about it was just this is one of the best scenes I've seen in a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you definitely felt relaxed and in a great way. Liked what was it? I mean you talk about there's certain people that are like, well, you know, when a show's been on this long or whatever, you guys are on autopilot, you do this. But you notice the difference with directors. I mean, we've seen it from the beginning, so it's there's some comfortability that with Kendall when he comes in.
Speaker 2: That just it just makes us all sing. It makes us all sing.
Speaker 3: Yes, So Corey explains that he didn't hit him, he shoved him. He doesn't understand why his dad does all these things with Eric, but he won't do them with him. Sean jokes and one of my favorite jokes of the show, why is it afraid You're gonna hit him?
Speaker 1: Again?
Speaker 3: Corey dives into Eric and his dad's relationship. They do everything together. They're even planning to jump out of a plane, while on the other hand, all Corey and his dad do are talk. Shawn as shows Corey that he has a great relationship with his dad. Corey doesn't want to be the guy his dad simply talked to. Great conversations aren't memories to back on. Sean insists they have good memories, like that time you.
Speaker 1: Beat them up. You're going to talk about that for years.
Speaker 5: Good.
Speaker 1: It is so good. We're going to talk about that for years.
Speaker 4: Let's just love it.
Speaker 3: And then we're in the Matthew's kitchen now in a robe. Alan still looks angry while making a sandwich. There's a loud knock on the door, causing Alan to jump and throw bread in the air.
Speaker 1: It's Phoenie.
Speaker 4: He's also in a robe.
Speaker 1: A couple of things, sorry, a couple of things, very very well. We'll be brief about this because it's Rider's favorite subject. Which is food off brand mayonnaise. I understand they can't do a regular brand, but come on, okay, there's no pickles in the pickle jar. It's literally just pickled juice. There's not a single pickle in the entire jar, So why do you have that out? And then he spills the bread everywhere and then Phoenie comes in. Bread's gone, it's not on the floor anymore. So just we can move on. But just then, what does Phoene do? He just mayonnaises, mayonnaises some bread.
Speaker 3: But the other half of the sandwich is already made because he just puts that on top and there's already meat. Yeah, that's a good director move, though, we've all had to make that move. So you're gonna mayonnaise the bread, the other stuff's already prepped.
Speaker 2: Yes, Because he takes alan they don't want to have to watch him actually make us build the business is perfect.
Speaker 1: Because exactly you have to see him do something. Oh it's so good.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, and then that's all you have to replace the next time. Just take off the mayonnaise piece, throw that away, get a new one.
Speaker 1: I want Phoenie's robe too, Oh do I want? It's like kind of smoking jacket. Can I tell you that phoenees fits our fire?
Speaker 3: It's the three as phoenees fits her fire, I fits waits.
Speaker 4: Our foot apostrophe, oh fits.
Speaker 1: Oh again, we're just taking fits is out of words?
Speaker 4: Okay, exactly.
Speaker 1: I thought it was gray. Yeah they're gray. Is that srure for gray? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 1: For great.
Speaker 3: Alan asks what he's doing there at two o'clock in the morning, and Phoene remarks, I know what happened this afternoon between you and Corey. I've waited for you. I've waited for Corey. Nothing so nobody came over. Something like this happens. Somebody should come over.
Speaker 1: Oh it's perfect. It's a person meta. It's the best way to comment on their roles. Like they've tried this before.
Speaker 2: Remember when Amy goes to Phoene and it just didn't quite work. Whereas like this where Phoene's like stressed out because he can't oh so solid.
Speaker 1: Just saw me. He was pacing in his house like he started slow and then it got worse and worse and worse, and then fight.
Speaker 2: He just couldn't take it any more to go over o'clock in the morning, And you know, Bill plays it perfectly, which is not angry, just anxious, stressed out, worried he's going to be able to sleep tonight because of this.
Speaker 1: If you nobody's thinking of him, like, how does nobody think of me?
Speaker 4: It's so good, It's just unbelievable.
Speaker 1: It's one of my favorite Phoene moments of the entire series. Agree really is so completely agree. Alan stares at him, confused. Phoene reminds him, he knocked you on your keyster man.
Speaker 3: You're obviously upset, so can we please talk about it so I can get some sleep. Alan lets him in and offers a late night snack, and Phoene helps himself to the sandwich ingredients. Alan says, it's one thing for the boys to ask for your help, but I am a capable adult and I can handle this on my own. Phoene stops the sandwich making. You're right, and I am sorry that I intrude it on your privacy. He takes one step toward the door and Alan blurts out, he pushed me down, George. Phoene does a quick one eighty and starts making his sandwich again.
Speaker 1: Can'ts turn It's just perfect.
Speaker 2: That is actor factor blockage actor, turn around.
Speaker 3: God, just absolutely beautiful everything about it, and he says, right, it doesn't sound like Cory. Alan agreed, he knows if anything's wrong, he can come and talk to me. Talking is the basis of our relationship. Phoene doesn't hesitate. Maybe that's what's bothering him. Alan takes that in You never stop teaching, do you, George. Phoene points a sandwich in Alan's face, saying, next time, don't keep me up all night, and he walks out to think.
Speaker 2: About how efficient that scene is. Like he actually gives Phoene advice. But it's not too many words, it's not it's just it's literally two lines. Yes, Gory, we always talk. Maybe that's the problem.
Speaker 1: Boom boom, I'm out of here. I'm out of here. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Thanks for the sandwich.
Speaker 3: Also now and now he can go to sleep because he's given the advice. He feels he knows he's going to be on It's just it's anything about it's beautifulfect. Back at the guy's apartment, we are now in Shawn's room. Sean is fast asleep, although all the lights on the room are on. Jack is next to him in bed, but his eyes are wide open the audience, you.
Speaker 5: Get a woman who yeah, I was like, okay, like maybe there's some homeo about it, but.
Speaker 1: That's disgusting. It was just two good looking young men in bed.
Speaker 2: I would have I would have taken out the woos if I was in charge of the show too, if I directed this episode, I'd be like, even if the audience did that, we're not gonna leave that in because.
Speaker 4: It's it is a little strength, it's starring.
Speaker 1: Now I have a question, how do you do that if it's if it's WU, if the WU is live on the day. Isn't that on any track though? But isn't it also not picked up by the booms that we would have on our I don't think. Maybe way in the distance, but you'd be able to bring that.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you something.
Speaker 3: If those microphones can pick up the audience, then there's no reason for boom mic ever to be in the shop.
Speaker 2: The super directional direction, that's what they have to tilt. They have to rotate from one actor to the other. Because yeah, so you could isolate just one of those mics and be fine. You also usually have enough room tone that even if you eliminate.
Speaker 1: It wasn't of silence to insert there. Yeah, gotcha, Yeah, yeah, it was a little weird. Also, Jack has an astronaut pillow. Did you notice that he's got a space pillow going? Which is great.
Speaker 3: Jack decides to turn off the lights and Sean wakes up immediately. Are you insane? He quickly turns the lights back on. Our trailer park was right next to an off ramp. All night long, truck headlights shone through the window. The light comfort me, comforts me. Jack jokes, that's a really lovely story and make a great children's book. Here's another great children's book. Good night light, and he turns the light back off, wishing a good night to Sean. And then the pig, Shawn immediately turns the light back on, reminding Jack that he's a guest in this room, so he needs to start acting like it.
Speaker 1: And the pig has a name. It's little Little Cory. Yeah the reveal.
Speaker 3: Jack restlessly moves around, Fine, good night, little Corey. He looks at Sean, good night pig. Sean smiles at the improvement and says good night. Just as things have calmed down, Sean presses play on a bedside boom box and crickets begin to chirp. I can't believe it crickets, Sean explains, it's a tape.
Speaker 4: Sounds of the trailer park helps me sleep.
Speaker 1: I knew instantly where this joke was going, and I loved every second, Like I know what's gonna happen, and I can't wait to see what they did with this. But oh god, it's such a good setup.
Speaker 4: Jack shrugs.
Speaker 3: It actually is kind of soothing, and with that he begins to doze off. But then we hear a semi truck honking and.
Speaker 1: A woman yelling as dogs bark in the distance. A man yells drop the weapon.
Speaker 3: And come out, yes, and then there's a loud gunshot. Jack good, it's hysterical. Jack has heard enough and he turns off the tape. He grabs his brother's shirt and shakes him, get up, Get up. Sean doesn't budge, so Jack turns off the light switch, which it wakes Shan up immediately. He tells Jack, I wouldn't have asked you to they here if I knew you were going to be so weird.
Speaker 1: Jack is furious, I'm weird. You know what puts me to sleep?
Speaker 3: A glass of milk, not the truck that delivers the milk. He goes for the low blow. But you'll have to excuse me. I was raised in an actual house.
Speaker 4: And the audience.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's a shot across the bow.
Speaker 3: My friends fighting words yep. Sean gives his brother a death stare. As long as you put it that way, I'd be happy to turn out your lights. Sean throws a punch, but missus Jack's face completely. They both now have their arms raised, ready to fight. Jack warns him, I wouldn't man Piedmont Prep Boxing Team.
Speaker 1: Little dance. Yeah, Matt's best performance. It is. It is. He's hysterical, he gets it, just builds the laugh with that dance. It's like his legs.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's unbelievable. It is so funny. He swivels his hips and dances around, trying to scare off Sean. Sean lowers his arms. You know, if I really wanted to hit you, I would have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will.
Speaker 2: I wish, I wish I could go back, because we could have just made more of a bill out of that, like me being like what are you doing? And then him like doubly down doing it again, like you know what I mean, Like, we could have gotten probably two more lives out of just my reaction of being like, is this weird dance that's not fighting? There's another beat there, just in the physical comedy that we I wish.
Speaker 4: You could have been done your hands day there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's how we're gonna play it right. Oh my god, I see how you want to fight? Shut this out? So funny.
Speaker 3: So Jack, still in a fighting stance, responds, when you want to, I'll be right here. He plops it back down on the bed, pulls the covers over his head, asleep in the dark like normal people. Sean seems hurt. And then it's the next morning at the guy's apartment. Corey is fast asleep on the couch and Tapanga is trying to wake him up. He refuses, I don't want to get up. I hit my father. That's got to be a bad sin. If this were the Bible, I'd be a father, Smider, I'd be Cory, son of Alan the bruised.
Speaker 2: This dialogue is so smart, it's so funny, like all these biblical references and like it's the first time for us.
Speaker 1: Barbie yes, and she's so great. It's so strange and funny and just off the I love dialogue. That's just off the beaten path. It's just completely different. It's great.
Speaker 3: Ta Pega tries to tell him that he has a great relationship with his father, but Corey cuts her off.
Speaker 1: You shouldn't be here. If they find you with me, they'll stone you. Save yourself to Panga, daughter of Miriam. Miriam. But that's not her name. Is it?
Speaker 4: My mom?
Speaker 3: You know it's it's it's a biblical name, because he says son of Alan, right he does.
Speaker 1: He says, you're right. I didn't know if he was trying to set that up where she's now. It's that was they were going to make her Miriam, because I don't think we've have we said Chloe yet, Isn't it Chloe? Isn't Jed and jedda guy and Chloe.
Speaker 2: He said that a long time, Jeded Diane. Chloe's saying, right, that's first couple of lines. Yeah, okay, yeah, No, I think Miriam is just a better biblical name.
Speaker 1: It's yeah. Tapega insists that he go home and talk it through with his dad.
Speaker 3: Corey says that's all their relationship is, which is nothing like his dad's relationship with Eric. He screams, I want to do stuff too. I never want to talk to him again. Just then Alan opens the door and Eric stands behind him. He grabs Corey by the shirt. You're coming with us, Cory sheepishly asks, can we talk about this? Alan yanks him outside and closes the door, as Topanga watches and laughs. Give a big I really wanted the audience to know it was okay, it was big.
Speaker 1: It was a big, kind of almost like Mom said, Tommy, kind of like a hundred percent of blast.
Speaker 3: Everything's fine, We're fine, and it's fun and funny, and you can also laugh and smile.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was.
Speaker 4: It was not my finest moment, okay.
Speaker 1: And then we are skydiving quite an escalation.
Speaker 3: Coury, Allen and Eric are sitting in the plane dressed in jumpsuits and wearing helmets.
Speaker 1: How was this shot?
Speaker 4: Will uh?
Speaker 1: I mean we had the half fuselage of an airplane kind of opened up and and it was just a stage. It was essentially just a big.
Speaker 2: Must have been like when you guys are actually jumping out and you show the like the reverse, Yeah, was that?
Speaker 1: Like? Did you did they turn the whole few had the whole thing turned around and then and then we had giant matts, you know, pads, and then it was up in the air. It was up. It was probably raised by about five feet, maybe five or six feet. So much fun shooting it. But the thing I remember the most, and you can see Ben reacting to it, is that we're all yelling yes, and because it was super funny, Rusty was yelling right in our ears and it hurt so badly, and you can see Ben going like like he's kind of wincy because and then you see Rusty even pushing it far or where he is just screaming right into our ears, and I distinctly remember being like he's gonna shatter my ear drum, Like he's literally going to shatter my ear drum.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: We had so much fun shooting this scene.
Speaker 2: I have such a profound memory of the first run through when you guys did this, and really, oh my god, I remember dying like we were sitting there because you know, of course I hadn't seen the rehearsals for these scenes until the run through, and I remember all of us just like crying with laughter because because of course there's no actual engine sound there's no noise, so when you're doing the run through, you guys were just yelling at this level that was like what is happening? But it made all these lines, which I think at the table whead had been okay, kind of fun. But when you guys committed to the like the fact that you're screaming these things. How come we don't have the relationship you and Corey have. I just remember crying, laughing and being like, this is the funniest Our show has ever been, And watching it again, I'm like, this is a perfect scene.
Speaker 1: This is a perfect great scene.
Speaker 2: The turns, the way that it's like resolving one story but then just opening up another one with Eric, It's so freaking good and you guys are amazing.
Speaker 1: I just want to watch the three over and over again and so far because Steve Parker, Steven park is so good as well. I mean he comes in and kind of sets the tone too. Yeah, but it is. We just had so much fun shooting this scene. I distinctly remember just enjoying each other as actors and like, you can't it's cartoonish. You can't go too big, I know. So when you get that kind of like all the parameters are off. It's like, as big as you go, the funnier it's going to get.
Speaker 3: And the other thing that made it so great is that the dialogue is so grounded, yes, in the absurd, that it's perfect because it's very earnest, grounded dialogue about real relationships in such an absurd setting.
Speaker 1: Exactly, so so funny, you might as well be having that, yeah, a deep heartfelt conversation on a merry go round or you know, on a slide or something.
Speaker 2: But it was, Yeah, we had absolutely beautiful And it also made me think about the fact that Rusting was a hanng li.
Speaker 1: Yeah, while we were doing it right, Yeah, and you actually went with him.
Speaker 2: You drove him one time, right, a couple of times.
Speaker 1: So I had to drive his truck back. You have to drive, Yeah, you drive, so you take I'd never driven his truck before, which I ended up buying by the way off of him and then was stolen from my house.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: He had no die, Like there wasn't a gauge that worked anywhere in the truck, so you didn't know how fast you were going, if there was gas, if you were turning left or right. Nothing worked. And the first time I ever drove it. We drove up this tiny little path to this huge hill and parked on a cliff, and he takes out his hang glider, jumps in. He's like bye, and take jumps off the cliff, just by himself. No one.
Speaker 2: He literally just drive him up a mountain and he jumps jumps off it, jumping and down. Have you planned where to pick him? Then he says yeah, And then well no, I don't pick him up. I where we left he drove. He drove us to where I parked my car, and so we leave from there. I drop him off. He jumps off a cliff.
Speaker 1: I drive back to where that is like seven or eight miles away, which is where he's going to land, and I take my car and I go is it's bananas, but his bananas. What he was doing, it's so cool. What a cool dude like that is like what he did on a weekend. And he's like he will you want to drive for me?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But the thing is amazing. He runs you you I've never seen anybody do this up close, and he you know, he runs the hang glider, the giant thing up. He jumps off and then in one kind of move, he lifts up his legs and zips himself into this thing. So now he's in like a You're also like there's a wire behind you, I think, holding your back up. So he's like zipping himself into this thing as he Then they try to catch thermals, so you just like a bird, You're in this thermal and you're just watching him just go up and up and up, and it's just I also remember.
Speaker 2: There's like one day a year, I don't know if they still do this one day a year where they open up Yosemite Valley to hang gliders and Rusty got He was like one of the you know, he won the lottery like they did a lottery for like who got it, and so he got to fly. We use Smity valleys like one of you know, a few hundred hang gliders who got released one And I remember him telling me this and just be like you're in saved.
Speaker 1: Should we go hang gliding? Should we go hang gliding? I really want to go.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm totally al tandem. I'm not going to go by myself, but you can go tandem. We're strapped to somebody who knows how to do it. But then do you also remember when he wrecked. Yes, he came back. He came back to work one time, all screwed up because he had crash landed.
Speaker 3: How come we weren't allowed to like the same thing. You couldn't anything, We couldn't roller blade or do anything. And Rusty's out there jumping off mountains.
Speaker 1: Because he didn't care. What are they going to do? Fire him? We were like rule of biting kids. You know, if I hadn't gotten kicked out of kindergarten, I probably would have. You've been there too. I would go bungee jumping first season, so I know, I remember, Well, that'll be an episode.
Speaker 2: I was skydiving this at eighteen, so I was skydiving within this year ninety eight.
Speaker 1: Well this will, but hang gliding will be one of the segments, and you're going to hate this.
Speaker 3: Yes, an instructor screams over the loud engine. You've said, cessfully completed the ground course. Welcome to your first jump. Alan and Eric are enthused, while Corey's wide eyed, unable to hide his nervousness. He raises his hand and shouts, I actually wasn't paying attention on the ground and I feel I shouldn't be allowed up here, Eric explains, and everything in this entire scene is screaming, which is great.
Speaker 1: You know what I love.
Speaker 3: It's the drama, like will the shoot open or not. Corey complains to his dad, this isn't fair. When you hit the ground, you were not ten thousand feet above it. Alan tells him this is something Eric and I have been talking about doing. There's no reason you shouldn't be a part of it. Corey asks, So this isn't because I pushed you down. Alan admits, well, yes it is. If you're that upset about something, I have to take a hard look at what I'm doing wrong. Corey says, I just feel like I want to do things with you, not just talk about stuff. Alan assures him that he doesn't do stuff with Eric because he doesn't want to do them with Corey.
Speaker 4: It's just the way he and Eric relate.
Speaker 3: Eric shouts back, Dad just doesn't see you as much of an action adventure guy like he sees me. But it takes guts to get up here in the first place. You don't have to jump.
Speaker 4: Corey argues, No, no, no. If this is what you guys do, I'm with you, guys. Alan tells him.
Speaker 3: If you want to jump, you jump, or if you want to play basketball or baseball or whatever, I'll be there. Just promise me one thing. I don't want to lose that part of our relationship that I consider most special. Here's where it turns for everyone. Corey yells what and Eric screens back what, and Alan does the same what. Corey and Eric want to know what is most special? Alan reveals I love when we talk. Cory and Eric are surprised.
Speaker 2: If our writers had known how legendary a certain line would have been, this would have been a great time for Russy to just say.
Speaker 1: They want you to take the roles right what who they want, and then move on. It would have been like the nowadays.
Speaker 2: We would have done that, but at the time we didn't realize how much that was, like the most quarterble line.
Speaker 4: That's so funny.
Speaker 3: Corey and Eric are surprised, you do. Alan tells Corey he loves his opinions and views on things. He wouldn't trade their talks for anything. Corey yells back, you tell me this now, Eric asks, while replaying the entire relationship with his dad in his head. Yeah, what good is it to play basketball or throw a football if you don't have good conversation, right dad, The instructor yells, they're at the jump point in the rare but not impossible. Event that your shoot fails to deploy, you just pull on your red ripcord, which will engage your backup shoot. Alan's eyes widen, What do you mean fail to open? Eric adds, what do you mean deploy?
Speaker 1: Eric is still Erica.
Speaker 3: The instructor ignores their questions, Ready to go. Corey is the first to stand up, but Alan stops him. Now that our relationship is back on track, why don't we just go home basketball or something. Cory is fired up.
Speaker 4: Why because you're.
Speaker 1: Afraid I can't keep up with you? Guys will watch this.
Speaker 3: And then we get a shot from outside the plane. Corey is standing in the doorway and then he jumps without hesitation. Alan and Eric are shocked. He did it.
Speaker 1: Alan tells Eric to go get him, but Eric has something on his mind.
Speaker 3: Get him. I love it, He wonders, how come I don't have that special relationship like you have with Corey.
Speaker 4: Alan doesn't get it. What Eric asks?
Speaker 3: Do you value my views and opinions on things? Alan stares out the plane and notices. Oh his shoot open good.
Speaker 4: Eric brushes it off.
Speaker 1: That's great. Listen, all we ever do is buddy stuff.
Speaker 4: We have nothing.
Speaker 1: I want more, he says.
Speaker 3: Alan has to listen to his views on philosophy, politics, and what makes the world go round.
Speaker 4: Alan has heard enough.
Speaker 1: Jail looks at him and then tumbles out, and.
Speaker 3: Eric puts his goggles on in shrieks talking to you before jumping.
Speaker 4: Out after his dad.
Speaker 2: Perfect scene, Yeah, perfect scene. Every character is true to themselves, the jokes are there.
Speaker 1: I just love it so much. Yeah, it was great.
Speaker 4: It really was so beautiful.
Speaker 2: Hold on, before we move on, can we take a break for a second because I just got a text that I want to share. It's from my friend Letty up in Seattle. She said, Hey, guys, Letty here is she texted me and Alex just saw on front page news ari E Danielle's breast cancer diagnosis.
Speaker 1: Hope she's okay.
Speaker 2: Just so you know, I've been putting off my exam for years because I'm scared my grandmother had it. Because of her story, I'm going to bite the bullet and schedule my check up. Please know that she influenced at least one person to action by speaking up about it. Obviously many more too. Hugs do you both and Andy hope we can hang again.
Speaker 1: Suit. So I just wanted to let you know I just got that text well because the news just broke today.
Speaker 4: So that's so sweet.
Speaker 1: Thank you, that's aw thank you should be proud of yourself. Definitely thanks.
Speaker 3: I actually am two of my best friends who I had been avoid avoiding telling because truthfully, it seems like every every one of their friends in the last year has somehow been diagnosed with cancer.
Speaker 4: And I know how hard it's been on her.
Speaker 3: She's been confiding in me about like, oh, it just seems like everywhere I turned, my friends are getting cancer. And so when I found out, I truly was like, I'm gonna I want to protect her from this, and so I didn't tell her, and my intention was always to tell her before the news broke, but then all of a sudden, it was like newsbroke because didn't tell her, And she texted me this morning and was like, first of all, I'm so mad at me, mad at you. You don't need to protect me. I wish you would have told me, and she said, but more importantly, both her and her girlfriend have been putting off their mammograms. They've just been too busy and they're just putting it off. And she said, and today we're making our appointments and.
Speaker 1: Good changing lives.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that is truly world. You know, we've talked about it before. None of us like being in the news, even when it's something and that's like kind of out of your control. It gives me major agua to know I'm in the news.
Speaker 4: I don't like it. I don't like to do things I don't We are not a click baity show, we don't.
Speaker 3: We just so I it has been like a little agit like I feel, I feel the anxiety of knowing everyone's talking about me today. But I know for sure that text you just shared with me writer is exactly It's exactly the reason I did it, and I'm so happy to hear that it's making a difference in people, and I hope it continues to do that.
Speaker 4: So thank you for sharing that with me.
Speaker 3: All right, So then we're back on the Matthews driveway. Corey and Alan are playing one on one. Eric barges into their game and stands right in front of Alan. You jumped out of a plane rather than talk to me. Alan laughs, No, you're exaggerating. The wind sucked me out like a vacuum. Eric gets in his face. You hit the ground and started running, Alan retorts momentum. Eric says he wants to talk like he does with Corey. Alan reminds him they're in the middle of a game here. Then Eric grabs the ball and begs his dad to talk to him. They yank the ball back and forth until Eric pushes Alan down, sending him falling onto the ground again. Amy and Morgan rush out, and Amy asks if Corey pushed him again. Corey just points to Eric, who's staring at his dad in shock. Morgan leans down to help her dad up. He quickly puts his arm up in terror.
Speaker 1: Stay away from me.
Speaker 2: The kids are turning so good.
Speaker 3: The family is once again in turmoil, and we're back at the guy's apartment. We're in Shawn's room. Jack and Sean are sitting silently on the bed, now back to back, which also I did love this. Why are they sitting back to back? They just need to get away from each other and there's nowhere to go.
Speaker 1: But it's the next line that sells the whole thing.
Speaker 5: To me.
Speaker 3: Jack asks if Sean's awake, and he answers, oh, what kind of moron are you?
Speaker 1: Are you just sitting back to back you awake? What kind of moron are you?
Speaker 3: Jack exclaims, I can't take this. You live like a pig and you do weird things during the night. Sean asks weird things? And Jack reveals you talk in your sleep and you snore. Sean laughs, that's impossible. Either he talks or he snores. You can't do both. Jack Prest's play on the bedside boom box. We hear Sean snoring and then saying I'm going to the market to pick up some eggs. He snores again, and then he talks about eggs and rubbing them together to.
Speaker 4: Start a fire.
Speaker 2: How many times do you think the writers were just riffing on how can we make this? But I also, isn't there a no clown, no recurring joke with have we already done that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Would have been nice to have a little little absolutely right clown.
Speaker 2: Reference where I'm like, hello, clown, or I don't know, like I'm doing some version of no clown.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: Yes, that would have been cute.
Speaker 3: So he takes the tape out, only to realize that Jack has recorded over his sounds of the trailer part. Jack sarcastically says, yeah, go to the car wash and buy a new one. Sean says, knowing well that Jack knows this, I don't own a car, and if I did, I would have the pride to wash it myself. He calls his brother a hoity toity, stuck up middle class snot And I thought it was interesting that they chose middle class.
Speaker 1: Middle class, Yes, upper middle class or upper class upper class, yeah, Jack, collar or something?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Jack starts cleaning up the room.
Speaker 3: Just because you live like a pig doesn't mean I have to, and Sean tells him he must because this is his room, and he dumps a garbage can on Jack's head. Jack retaliates by throwing dirty laundry at Sean and the pig lets out a squeal from behind the curtain. Jack jumps in fear and Sean yells at him, you're upsetting my pig. Now again another great directing use of the pig, like even though you don't see the pig. Ever, again, they got a nice close shot of the pig behind that curtain, And now we're gonna buy.
Speaker 1: Anytime we hear it, we buy. It's there. You just know it is great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really good. So Jack antagonizes him make me. Sean does not stand down. Then the two jump on each other and they fall to the ground. This is the moment where I was like, why can't we see this in another part of the house because I do yeah, I do love that you guys are just so different and you're forced to come to terms with it. But I feel like we could have seen this in the kitchen with cooking, or it could have been in the living room.
Speaker 1: I think what they were going for is the thing you're supposed to do when you get two cats that don't get along, is you literally throw them together in a bathroom and you make them get along. It's like you cover them with tuna and you throw them in there until they become friends. And I think, just to sen you what they were trying to do, they were just trying to be economical, like they knew they were one of us wrestling. But you're right, it would have been. I mean, even the start of the scene is weird, like what's happening. We're both being so stubborn that We're sitting back to back and not going to sleep. It's like just you know, picking up where the last scene kind of already kind of resolved it. So it's a weird, awkward start. It would have been better to have a conflict in the kitchen that then leads it, but it would.
Speaker 2: Have take.
Speaker 1: Let's just get right to it. Yeah. I also can never get over sleeping without some sort of a cover, a sheet or a cover like just blank mattress to me is one of my creepiest feels. It's like, I know, it gives me such the yuck just even thinking about that.
Speaker 3: I could never sleep without a thing. No on top of me, No, you need, you need a thing, at least a sheet. And even that, I'd like something a little heavier, but sure, yeah something So then we're in the guy's apartment. Later, Eric's pacing on the phone. Hello, Philly General, have any middle aged men been admitted this afternoon with basketball injuries? He pauses, then asks that many.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 3: Then Corey walks in the front door. Eric throws down the phone and nervously checks the hall.
Speaker 4: How'd you find me? Corey stares at him, perplexed.
Speaker 1: You live here? Eric, shakes his head. Not anymore.
Speaker 3: I'm volunteering for the Witness Protection program. Corey tells him he didn't witness a crime, but Eric thinks he did. I hit my father and I saw the whole thing. By this time tomorrow, I'll no longer be your brother. I'll be doctor Abraham Shapiro of Pasi Passaic, New Jersey, cardiologist.
Speaker 4: This whole runner will just perfect will for them.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I love the way that you know.
Speaker 2: Corey overreacts but makes it all this like anxiety, and Eric overreacts and is just like I got to plan amount of and it's like so big and completely different directions. They both overreact, but Corey makes it all about him, and Eric is like, well, now I just got to change my life.
Speaker 1: That's just what I am. That's it.
Speaker 3: I'm a violent offender and I must go elsewhere to become a surgeon, have to leave Eric Matthews behind and become someone new. Yes, Corey tries to ease his mind. Their dad is fine, but what's gotten into him? Eric says, all we ever do is pala a round. You know, That's what our relationship is. I want to talk to him too, Corey assures him.
Speaker 4: You and Dad talk.
Speaker 3: Eric siys, we talk about the Sixers and the Flyers and the bay Watch chicks. I want to talk about important stuff like you guys do. It's time people learned who the real Eric was. Then the phone rings, Eric answers it without missing a beat, Doctor Shapiro, Sobby and the business you do afterwhere you look at Corey like, sorry, you got to take this real quick.
Speaker 4: Sorry, it's important.
Speaker 1: Was just trying to make Ben laugh at that point.
Speaker 3: Then we're back in Sean's room. Sean has Jack in a headlock, shouting at him. You come in here, you criticize my room, you spook my pig, and you turn out my light. Jack breaks free and grab Sean, so Sean flips him back around. I like the way I live. Maybe I wasn't born with my life on a silver spoon. Jack says he likes the way he was brought up too. The only thing he didn't like was that he didn't know his brother. Then he pushes Sean down. He pins him on the mattress. Say uncle, Sean pleads, I don't know who my uncle is.
Speaker 1: To know him too. Oh this whole thing is so funny. Now, this I remember from the run through because this was also killing it. And when you'd finally got to Uncle Dave in the bar business, brought the house down. It brought the house down. It was so good.
Speaker 3: It's just so funny. Sean gets up and pins Jack's arm behind his back. Jack screams, his name's Dave. He's in the corrugated box business. I can't breathe. Sean releases his grip. We weren't fighting about the messy room, were we, Jack?
Speaker 4: Laughs?
Speaker 3: Just think all those years we didn't know each other. We could have been beaten the crap out of each other. Sean smiles too. I've waited seventeen years to do this, and then he rock bottoms Jack back onto the mattress. Jack reverses the move and quickly pins him down.
Speaker 1: Say uncle to your big brother. Sean screams, uncle uncle Dave.
Speaker 4: In the box business.
Speaker 1: Oh. Jack raises his armory. It's just wonder all the boy meets world heart. Yeah, a great set piece of wrestling. I mean it's just perfect. And after this you buy them as brothers. Yep, Oh, this is it's about time. You're right. It should have been done in episode one, something like this but Jack is Jack, Sean is Sean, and you buy that they have some sort of relationship moving forward.
Speaker 4: It's great, Yeah, it's it's really nice.
Speaker 3: It's like a comforting It's like a nice comforting feeling to see you guys go through this.
Speaker 1: And to have that relationship with Jean clearly didn't have with either Eddie or Stacy. Yes. Yeah, it's nighttime.
Speaker 3: In the Matthews family driveway, Alan is playing basketball all by himself. He shoots and Amy catches his airball. She asks what the score is in Alan sihs sons two Dad nothing. He wonders what he's doing wrong. Amy asks if he really wants to know, and Alan immediately defends himself. I'm not doing anything wrong. I am a very good father. Amy agrees, you're a very good father to your son and your daughter. Alan reminds her they have two sons, and Amy smirks, she's made her point. Remember how we always wanted a boy and a girl. He nods, and she continues on the way to getting there. We got two boys, two complete boys that want a complete relationship and ship with their dad, and now they're calling you on it. Alan insists they do have complete relationships with him. Amy shakes her head, no they don't. Alan immediately agrees, no, they don't.
Speaker 2: Gets a great scene, Morgan gets a good scene, Amy gets a good scene.
Speaker 1: Every single character to Panga maybe not smile and.
Speaker 2: I thought it was well written in all the biblic But yeah, but I mean, think about how many characters we have on the show, and this is an episode that strings them all together. Dean character perfectly uses them. It's just it's magnificent, it is.
Speaker 3: It's really a great episode. Amy emphasizes that Corey gets his mind and Eric gets the wide world of sports. Alan says that's just the way they are together, but Amy explains that he is the father. He has defined the relationships. He should be proud. They want more. Alan gets it, we have two boys. Well that's even better. She smiles, Yeah it is.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 3: It isn't about that he's a better dad to one or the other. It's that he's he's a great dad. If they were only one kid one, yes, exactly. And so I loved that because when he said your son and your daughter, I was like, are they trying to say, like which one?
Speaker 4: But it isn't about that.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 4: I absolutely thought.
Speaker 1: There would be like a one size fits all dad.
Speaker 3: Yeah for son right well, And it is a really smart thing. As a parent, you do naturally cater to whatever your kid's strengths are. That's kind of what you default to. Like, Oh, Adler is definitely super athletic, and so Adler is going to have that automatic bond with both Jensen and I, who are both athletic and competitive. We're going to be able to bond with him about that very easily. But if we don't also focus on the other side of that, the more emotional needing to talk things outside, it would be totally one sided. So it's something that if you don't actively think about it and make sure you're part, you're making sure you're making a well rounded person, you could easily default too.
Speaker 1: So there's also love the message. There's also something very interesting in and you've I've heard this from a number of people that didn't necessarily get along with their dad, that something like sports is a language they can always speak where it's just oh, if we just sit down and we just talk about the Mets, or we just talk about you know, the Philly whatever it is, then there's a bond there that forms over this shared interest and that becomes the relationship is just we talk through sports. It's like, oh, okay, I got it. Yeah. Well, we're in the hallway of the guy's apartment.
Speaker 3: Eric's waiting for the elevator, wearing a fake mustache and a steposcope around his neck. Oh, he's also holding a doctor's bag. He nervously looks around. A neighbor walks past him, and Eric shoots him an awkward thumbs up. Right then the elevator opens and Alan and Corey are standing inside. Eric slowly backs into the elevator, never seeing his dad and his brother. Alan greets him doctor Shapiro. Eric tries to run, but they grab him and pull him in deeper into the elevator.
Speaker 1: And then you see what I do right before it closes, no right but to make Rusty laugh. And you saw him kind of break. I take the stethoscope and I just put it on his heart.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: So it's like it was like trying to.
Speaker 4: Read so funny.
Speaker 1: And then we were at the museum News sets, Baby Man, Maney, Money, Money. This is where I was like, is this why we were stuck in Sean's bedroom? We had we had museum money. Maybe that's what it was. Gougenheim money to burn my friend exactly.
Speaker 3: Corey, Eric and Alan walk in together, and Eric asks why they brought him here. Alan explains, I wanted to do something with you that I've done on occasion with Corey. Corey says he came here on a field trip once and he really liked it, so he decided to take dad. Alan fills in Eric what we like to do is we pick out a piece and then we guess what the artist is trying to say. Eric points to a nearby sculpture, asking what they think about that one. It looks like two metal beams connected to another board with like a ringed planet inside it. The three men place their hands under their chins, deep in thought.
Speaker 2: Okay, I remember this well, do you. Isn't this the episode where Rusty just said gibberish because he couldn't remember his line. I'm pretty sure you guys were all had your hands into your chin and it was his line and it was like.
Speaker 1: Beat and he just went you remember this moment.
Speaker 2: He didn't know his lie, but he just said something and you guys were like whoa, And then you couldn't keep it together for the rest of.
Speaker 1: The taping because Rusty just forgot his line and he just said like, you're damn what, Oh my god, that's tot hilarious about that. Oh my god, that's right he did. He just went like, yeah, what is what you bed just couldn't keep it together. You're like, what are you doing? He's like, let me look at the pages.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: So Alan asks Eric what do you think the artist is trying to say? And Eric has no idea. He walks around the piece, trying to observe it from every angle. Corey reminds him it's abstract, and Alan adds there's no right or wrong answer. Eric eventually answers monkey unkey. Corey and Allan give each other a confused glance, but Eric continues two monkeys. They're fighting over a coconut, which symbolizes the father monkey's attention. Alan says this may not have been a good idea, Eric keeps going. My interpretation is that the artist is illustrating a very painful situation where the father monkey has two sons but only one coconut. So he splits the coca ut in half, but only half a coconut isn't enough for either son. Alan agrees with Eric, and Eric snaps out of his deep thought. What kind of artist do you want to talk about now? Neoclassism, Impressionism, photographic art as Aladam's American Landscape. He's probably my favorite. But you didn't know that, Alan admits, no, I didn't. How does Eric know about all this? Eric shrugs, I learned about it at school. We just never talked about it. Didn't think you'd want to hear it from me. Alan's clearly surprised, and Eric continues, I just always tried to be the person I thought you wanted me to be. Alan pat's Eric shoulder and smiles. He'd really like to hear what he has to say about another piece, and they walk off. Ry stays behind, watching his dad and brother with a big smile on his face. He takes one last look at the piece they all just analyzed and notices a placard right next to it. It reads Monkeys with Coconut dom Eric's a gainess. Corey can't believe it. He laughs and walks toward his family. So then we are in the tag in the Matthews driveway. Alan's taking down the basketball hoop. As Morgan walks out dribbling a basketball, she asks what he's doing, and he declares.
Speaker 1: Taking down this hoop. No good can come from it.
Speaker 3: He sits down and asks her. We have a pretty good relationship, right, Morgan shrugs. I guess, so, he continues, We talk right, She nods, he asks, and we have fun, right. Morgan, who looks mildly concerned, now responds yeah. Alan chuckles, I should have had all girls.
Speaker 4: She smiles.
Speaker 3: They give each other a high five and a loving hug, and that's our perfect little episode.
Speaker 4: Great, so great, so good.
Speaker 3: So join us for our next episode recap, which will be season five, episode thirteen, The Eskimo, aired January sixteenth, nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 1: Gosh, I don't think I'm in that literally, I think this is one of my one of the episodes. I thinkhere Michael came out to me and it was like you got the week off, go home, like okay. Yeah, I don't think I could be wrong. This is a classic episode. A lot of people love this. Next episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember not liking it that much, but I think it was just because we didn't have our normal directors. A new director, even though I liked her, I think it felt off, but I don't I can't wait to see it.
Speaker 3: I know, I don't remember a single thing about it. It's a super Bowl episode, okay, yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh good? Yeah yeah, I kind of remember that week, so I yeah, okay, good.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails at Pod Meets World Show at gmail dot com, and we have.
Speaker 1: Merch merched that makes the world go round. Godmates worldshow dot com will send us out. We love you all, pod dismissed. Podmets World is nheart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong executive producers Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara Sudbaksh producer, Maddie Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World superfan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon, and you can follow us on Instagram at Podmets World Show or email us at Podmets Worldshow at gmail dot com.